Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're so sad to be leaving the gorgeous Hotel Saints Cecilia in Austin, Texas, where we've been making cowboy hats with Kristin Davis, shooting bourbon with Ed Helms, and spreading the gospel of women's sports. It's Tuesday, March eleventh, and on today's show, will be bringing you a conversation I had with WNBA player Lexi Brown as part of a live show at the iHeart Podcast Hotel at south By Southwest on Saturday night. We talked about how she found out she was getting traded, how storytelling and brand sponsorship are helping grow women's sports, and her podcast Full Circle, which you can find right here on the iHeart Women's Sports Network. Plus March means Upsets Galore, a Sicko's Breakdown of Rivals, and the NWSL is back.
Speaker 2: In more ways than one. It's all coming up right after this Welcome back slices. Here's what you need to know today.
Speaker 1: Let's start with the NWSL, which returned in style with the Challenge Cup Thrilled on Friday night, kicking off the twenty twenty five season. It was a rematch of last ball's championship game. This time the Washington Spirit claimed the cup over the Orlando Pride, winning four to two at a penalty shootout after a one to one regulation finish. Regular season NWSL games start this upcoming Friday, the fourteenth. More NWSL, the league is investigating the technical staff of BAYFC, with the San Francisco Chronicle reporting that two former players described the culture under head coach Albertine Montoya as quote unquote toxic. NWSL Commissioner Jessica Berman confirmed the investigation while speaking to reporters on Friday, saying, quote, a review is underway by an independent third party, and we're very confident that the system we have in place will ensure that we surface the issues that need to be addressed, and that we'll continue to work with all our clubs, our technical staff, and our players to make sure that we're achieving our goal of creating a safe, healthy working environment end quote. The news comes just weeks after the very short tenure of Graham Abel as the club's head of domestic scouting. Abel was named that post in February, but he resigned one week later. He had previously been the subject of an investigative report by The Oregonian in which more than a dozen players alleged she was verbally abusive. We'll keep you posted as we learn more. BFC opens its season on Saturday with an away game against the Utah Royals to Unrivaled. By the time all Uselice is hear this, the Unrivaled regular season will have come to a close and will know which four teams made the playoffs. As of this recording on Monday afternoon, the Lunar Owls, Rows and Laces have locked down playoff spots, with the Vinyl and Misted fighting for the fourth and final spot.
Speaker 2: Y'all know what that means.
Speaker 1: It's time to bust out the crystal ball again, and it says the Lunar Owls are gonna win at all. Okay, that's not helpful for this specific moment, but I guess we all know that's what's gonna happen, right, or at least that's what we think to college hoops, where conference tournaments are in full swing and some have already wrapped.
Speaker 2: Let's go conference by conference.
Speaker 1: First up, the ACC the number eleven Duke Blue Devils upset Number six Notre Dame sixty one to fifty six on Saturday afternoon in the semi finals. Then on Sunday, Duke rallied from a fourteen point deficit to beat number seven NC State seventy six to sixty two to take the tournament title, their first in a dozen years and first under head coach Kara Lawson. Next to the Big Ten, where revenge is sweet. UCLA avenged two losses to crosstown rival USC in the regular season, beating the Trojans seventy two to sixty seven in the conference championship. Bruins star center Lauren Betts led her squad with seventeen points, five rebounds, four steals, and four blocks. She was also named the tourney's most outstanding player. Juju Watkins of USC started the game hot and finished one point away from another thirty piece, but she was held to just three made field goals in the whole second half. Both teams dominated the Big Ten in their first year since leaving the Pac twelve and are potential number one seeds in the upcoming NCAA Tournament. If they end up on opposite sides of the bracket on selection Sunday, we could get this matchup for a fourth time to the SEC, where, one week after a coin flip determined that South Carolina was the number one seed in that conference bracket, the game Cocks defeated Texas sixty four to.
Speaker 2: Forty five in the championship game.
Speaker 1: That nineteen point victory over the Longhorns completed the game Cocks dominant Toorney run, which also saw them defeat Vanderbilt by twenty one points and number five Oklahoma by eighteen points. South Carolina was ranked fifth nationally entering the conference Attorney and was projected to get a number two seed in the NC Double Attorney, but the team now appears poised for a number one seed. Finally, shout out to the A Tens George Mason University for winning that conference's tournament to secure their program's first ever NC Double Attorney bid. If you missed Friday's episode with A Ten Commissioner Bernadette McGlade, go back and take a listen to Colla Hockey. The eleven team NC Double Attorney bracket was revealed on Sunday, with Wisconsin earning the number one seed thanks to a thirty five to one to two record defending champion Ohio date.
Speaker 2: Cornell, whoa go Big Red.
Speaker 1: In Minnesota, earned seeds two through four and the regional final hosting rights that go along with them. That tourney gets underwean Thursday, and we'll link to the full bracket and schedule in our show notes to alpine skiing. On Sunday, American Mikayla Schiffrin added to her lore, finishing third in the slalom in Aure, Sweden, to break yet another record with her one hundred and fifty sixth podium finish the most World Cup podiums of all time, breaking her tie with Swedish gear Ingemar Stenmark, who competed in the nineteen seventies and eighties.
Speaker 2: And finally converted track sprinner.
Speaker 1: Kasha Love won the mono bob at the World Championships in Lake Placid, New York, this past weekend. Love top German Laura Nolta by forty four hundredths of a second. Friend of the Show Alana Meyers Taylor earned bronze, five hundredths behind Nolta. Slices, I want to take a quick moment to shout out one of our shows presenting sponsors, Elf Cosmetics, who were announced last week as the official makeup and Skincare partner of the NASL. ELF is the first beauty sponsor for the league, and we love what they're doing in the women's sports space. And we also love that after they sent me a bag of goodies, I am now a primer girl. That's right, folks, This sporty spice is learning how to do makeup correctly.
Speaker 2: Never too late to start right.
Speaker 1: We got to take a quick break when we come back. It's my conversation with Lexi Brown from south By, Southwest stick Around. She's a member of the Seattle Storm, a former Maryland Terrapin and Duke.
Speaker 2: Blue Devil who loved that news about Notre Dame. She's played for several WNBA teams, most importantly.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, helping the Chicago Sky to their twenty twenty one championship.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: She's a fashion influencer and she owns more bikinis than I do shoes. It's Lexi Brown, you really do love a bikini.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you pack all those girls. I mean they're small, They're real small.
Speaker 3: They are small. All right. I don't work hard for nothing, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Show it off.
Speaker 1: Okay, this off season in the WNBA was insane. Yeah, so much player movement. How did you find out that you got traded to the Storm? Oh that's a fun story.
Speaker 4: Also, with all this movement going on, I really believe that I was good in LA. So when I was covering free agency with my co host Mariah, you know, we're talking about, Oh, this is crazy, Like I can't believe this person got traded. I can't believe this person signed here. Little did I know there was a plot to get me out of LA, and I had no idea.
Speaker 3: So I found out. Actually I was.
Speaker 4: Playing in Athletes Unlimited, which is another women's basketball professional off season league in Nashville, and I was actually pulling out of the parking garage on my way to my game, and for a few weeks, I was kind of feeling a little uneasy about my future in LA for whatever reason that was.
Speaker 3: You know, I was very happy there. I was very happy in LA.
Speaker 4: Still am living there, but for some reason, there was like something off to me.
Speaker 3: So pulling out of the park garage, my GM's.
Speaker 4: Name pops up on my phone and I'm like, oh, this is bad news.
Speaker 3: Like I immediately knew.
Speaker 4: So I entered the phone, and I'm not even exaggerating. Our conversation was one minute, and that's when she told me that I was being traded to the Seattle Storm and I.
Speaker 3: Had a game to get to.
Speaker 4: I had a game to play, and I take ownership in that conversation, probably not being as long and meaningful as it could have been me playing there for three seasons, but I had another job to go do, so I kind of was just like, Okay, thank you guys, good luck, and I went to the gym and played in the basketball game immediately after.
Speaker 2: That's wild.
Speaker 1: That's usually we all have to clean out our desk and like move our one plant. You have to just like get right back to it. Yeah, it's not the first time you've been traded, though. You actually posted on Instagram and you said quote, it's crazy that three years later, I find myself in a similar situation as my first season with athletes unlimited, new team, new city, new expectations. This time around, I'm entering with an abundance of enjoyment, mindfulness, and positivity.
Speaker 2: I had no idea I had weight.
Speaker 1: I was caring, and thankfully it's evaporated completely. The unseen hours in the gym and my un waivering support system has helped me get back to a level of confidence in myself and help that I wasn't sure if I'd ever achieve again. Tell me more, why is this different this time?
Speaker 4: So the first season of Athletes Unlimited, I was fresh off the championship in Chicago, and yeah, yes, which was an amazing time. But I didn't really play much. You know, I'm not going to say I was a major contributor to that team. I was there for the vibes, which is a very important piece to a championship team. But it was an amazing experience, and I found myself playing overseas questioning my future in the W because it was made clear to me that they probably weren't going to keep me on that team moving forward forward.
Speaker 3: So went overseas.
Speaker 4: I went to France, was playing exceptionally well and nothing was really happening for me in the States with the W. So the Athletes Unlimited opportunity to come before I went overseas, and I let them know, like my agent really wants me to go, but I feel like I'm going to be back in time, so please like hold a spot for me, And they kept their promise. And I got to go play and Athletes Unlimited and played extremely well and was able to get traded to the LA Sparks, but on a training camp deal. So for those who don't know what a training camp deal is, it's a non guaranteed veteran minimum spot, so you're essentially going to a tryout. So I'm fresh off of a championship going to try out for a team in my fifth season, I think, so going into that situation, I was very unsure. I was nervous, anxious, didn't really know what to expect, and thankfully I was able to earn my spot on that team.
Speaker 3: And you know, it was very up and down with LA.
Speaker 4: With the Sparks, they're definitely in like a rebuild type of situation. But being able to solidify myself as a player, I'm able to thankfully say in year eight, I'm finally on my first protected contrast.
Speaker 3: Let's go. So when I headed to Seattle, I'm going to Seattle.
Speaker 2: A great city for women too.
Speaker 4: I love playing in Seattle, definitely one of my favorite cities to play in. They're really excited for me to be there. They have an amazing, beautiful practice facility, which if some of you don't know, not all WNBA teams have a facility dedicated to the WBA team.
Speaker 3: So when I was in LA, we.
Speaker 4: Were practicing at a community college.
Speaker 3: That was not ours.
Speaker 4: So for me, this is like game changing for someone that loves being in the gym and working out.
Speaker 3: I'm really excited.
Speaker 4: I mean, after all the smoke cleared about you know, getting traded, you know, I thought about it and I was like.
Speaker 3: This is going to be an amazing opportunity for.
Speaker 2: Me Seattle in the summer, which helps. Yeah, and yeah, the facilities.
Speaker 1: The fan base, the attention that you get in La, you can get lost to a lot of other things. In Seattle, there's so much of a dedication to women's soups and such a legacy of championships. And to your point about facilities, that's one of the things I've loved watching so much in recent months. There's basically like a facility war.
Speaker 2: In the WNBA.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, It's like one team announces a fifty million dollar and then like a month later, another one's like, great, seventy five million dollar facility, and the next one's like one hundred million dollar.
Speaker 2: We love it.
Speaker 3: Keep that's what we need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because not just you, but there was a hilarious and sad story of the Connecticut Sun practicing for the playoffs in a community gym, and there was a kid's birthday.
Speaker 3: Probably right now next door.
Speaker 4: I got drafted to the Connecticut Sun, so I know, it's like, there's a zoomer.
Speaker 1: We have practic serious fees for Alyssa Thomas and you wanta Bonner to be at your birthday party.
Speaker 4: We're at it, We're at practice getting cussed out.
Speaker 3: There's a curR in.
Speaker 4: We hear zooma class next door, and we're like, how are we supposed to take this serious? Like we can't hear these people doing zooma class and with.
Speaker 1: My sailor's mouth, they would probably stop scheduling the birthday parties at the same time.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that investment has been so important for facilities for players, and players get a lot of their money from sponsorships and marketing deals, and I wonder, you know, with all the notable upgrades for w players, charter flights, facilities, what stands out too if you look back at your very first year in the league and you're like, wow, that seems so dated. Right now that that was how we did things.
Speaker 4: I think charter flights not having those is kind of insane to look back that we were just walking through the airport chilling and when and the conversation kind of gets lost in translation. I think about what it's like for us to have charter flights versus commercial, Like a plane is a plane. The problem that it is for professional athletes is we need time for our bodies to recover. So we're spending two three hours in airports. There's horrible food options, there's nowhere for us to put our legs up. We can't do recovery in the airport. So I think sometimes people are like.
Speaker 2: Delay like six' eighth in regular.
Speaker 4: Season, No so for, Me i'm five, NINE i can sleep AND i can sleep right here on this, Floor Like i'm. Cool SO i feel for my like taller. Teammates we're an economy next to just a random person talking our ears off because they're, like, wait why are you? On, yeah like they're like you're on A, wait you had a game? Yesterday wait why are you here with? Us and then it's like that whole, Conversation oh, well we just this is just how we travel and then.
Speaker 3: We have our whole travel. Party it's like thirty. People we have all of our.
Speaker 4: Bags so it was more of like the process of being on commercial flights rather than just like the idea of being on commercial. FLIGHTS i don't, like you weren't being, bougie it was Exactly SO i think commercial flights was a big. Thing we have commercial flights in, college so it's something that we're used, to but it was something that we expected when we got to the W So i'm glad that we've been able to make that. Change and then the second thing is having roommates on the, road which as a grown up is insane to think of a set grown. Up i'm literally a thirty year old, teenager but.
Speaker 3: When they have kids and they have like and you have to pay.
Speaker 2: Where someone has a roommate and their kid.
Speaker 4: Is in the, room, yeah or if you don't want to have you didn't want to have your kid in the, room you would have to come out of pocket to get a room for. Yourself so it's like little things like that when you're young and you're just excited to be. There like in, college we had, Roommates so when you're a Rookie you're, like oh.
Speaker 3: My, gosh fun we get to hang out.
Speaker 4: Over but my teammates like thirty five and she's, like, WHY i don't want this sepack. MACHINE i don't want this child with me in my. Room SO i, mean just the little changes That i've been made have have been so impactful And i'm so.
Speaker 1: Grateful Your Dadde brown was a twelve YEAR nba. Vet he went won The dunk.
Speaker 3: Contest he dine, yes shout out.
Speaker 1: Dad what's the best piece of advice he's given, you basketball or?
Speaker 4: Life he has this little term that he's very proud, of And i'm very proud of it for it, Too but it's hoop over. Hype so growing, UP i didn't always get all of the notoriety or accolades or ride ups and stuff like that for whatever. Reason but he used that turn that Into instead of being upset about it or jealous of people who, were he just made it more of a motivation for. Me and As i've just gotten, older that's just something That i've always held. Onto so you, know at the end of the, day your game is going to speak for, itself whether people want to acknowledge it or. Not you have to Put you have to put the ball in the, basket.
Speaker 3: And that's the main. Thing and he always just reminded me to keep the main thing the main.
Speaker 1: Thing someone told me that in my business early in my, career be so good they can't say no to you, Exactly, so especially as a woman in the space for often men are trying to say you don't. Belong if you're just too good for them to turn you, away then there's nothing they can.
Speaker 2: Say and that's the same.
Speaker 1: Way if you're hooping well, enough people will know your, name people will give you the brands and, deals and people will recognize that you have something to give as a.
Speaker 2: Player how have you seen that brand support change over the.
Speaker 3: Years it's been.
Speaker 4: INSANE i remember getting drafted and there were conversations about me leading up to the, draft regarding my social media presence and being on YouTube and is she focused and does she love the game and all these kind of, things and you, KNOW i feel like that might have affected my draft stock a little, Bit BUT i, Like i've always believed that everything happens the way it's supposed to.
Speaker 3: Happen so that was just in twenty.
Speaker 4: Eighteen so just seeing the transformation of how women athletes are being able to build their own brands and empower themselves on their, terms on their platforms and not being punished by their coaches or punished by front.
Speaker 1: Offices now you're more likely to be, told, hey you need to get on social.
Speaker 3: Media, Yeah like it's.
Speaker 4: Crazy i've had like veteran teammates that WHEN i was a rookie or my first few years of this, season there's like you are On instagram too, Much like why are you posting so many? Pictures and why do you make? Vlogs and why are you doing? This And i'm just like see the vision. Please, also it was fun for. ME i would didn't play a lot my rookie. YEAR i was, OVERSEAS i had a lot of free. Time so it was just something THAT i ended up doing as a. Hobby and now it's something That i've been able to, monetize which has been a. Blessing but for, me it was always just a way to like have my free.
Speaker 3: TIME i just love taking. Pictures i've always had cameras in front of my. Tail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah i'm a total.
Speaker 2: Overshare i'm, like here's What i'm doing, today what's everyone else?
Speaker 1: Doing?
Speaker 3: No my.
Speaker 2: Eight here's WHERE i.
Speaker 4: Went my first season Of overseas wasn't, hungry And i've like documented the entire. THING i documented our ENTIRE wnba bubble, season which was a, nightmare but it's documented on YouTube if anybody wants to see what that was. Like i've removed it from my my brain, completely but little things like that were just important to. Me and now just seeing so many players being able to tap into that as well has been has been really.
Speaker 1: Cool you'll be grateful too when you get, older speaking from someone.
Speaker 2: Who's slightly, older you'll be.
Speaker 1: Grateful you have those, memories you, Memory you're gonna remember everything and they're, like, wait where was?
Speaker 2: It what WAS i? DOING i drink a lot though way too in.
Speaker 1: College you're a fashion, Girly you've got deals.
Speaker 2: With fashion nova and true.
Speaker 1: Religion what do you wish more sponsors knew about working with professional female?
Speaker 4: ATHLETES i, THINK i, MEAN i think they're realizing it now that we are such layered human beings and in so many different, ways and everybody has different styles and people deal with things, differently just like everybody plays a little bit. Differently SO i think the best thing that has happened as far as the game and, brands is that players are now able to show their personalities a lot more on the court as, well which is leading to them getting a lot of opportunities off the court that align with. Them you, Know i've seen some players in the past have deals with the. Brand i'm just, like they don't even use, that they don't even wear, that and they don't even. Align but Now i'm, seeing you, know a lot of players finding their people in brands and sponsorship dollars and, like that's been so amazing to, see and for me as being A wnba, fans As i've been a little, Girl like that's something THAT i always thought was, missing was the individuality of the, whole like everybody being able to just be their authentic.
Speaker 3: Selves, yeah something.
Speaker 1: We've talked about a lot in the last five or ten years in women's sports is there used to be this desire to make everyone one. Dimensional you were either infantalizing women as your little girl all grown up and you had to be perfect all the, time maybe role, models or you were.
Speaker 2: Sexualized those are only two.
Speaker 1: Options either you're real hot and sexy and take it, off or you're a child and you're my little, girl and don't do anything that will make me think of you. Differently and now women athletes can be just like everyone, else multi. Dimensional we have, heroes we have, villains we have funny, players we have quiet, ones we have, masculine, feminine, gay, straight and their authentic selves are brought to the court both for the fit checks down the tunnel on the way in to.
Speaker 2: The, game to the post. Game and it's so much.
Speaker 3: More, interesting so much tough.
Speaker 4: Fun.
Speaker 1: Duh it's so much more interesting then back in the. Day AND i remember there were, athletes great players who would come to me and, Say i'm thinking about endorsing this fun thing my partner's, doing But i'm worried that it will reflect badly on my brand as a role. Model and that's so sad because it made everyone. Boring, yeah AND i think being able to see everybody authentically as themselves has also a lot of fans to relate to them better and brands to find the people that match. Them, yeah there were mass players in the league partnering with, walkxer and that makes way more sense than when the league started and they were throwing Like Diana tarassi at a halter top on a car and being.
Speaker 2: Like ball like it didn't make any.
Speaker 4: Sense i'm happy they did that walk straight because there was quite a bit of pushback to the skims, rollout WHICH i thought was. Beautiful gorge was. GORGEOUS i loved. It it did not feel to me like the male. Gaze it felt, empowered and that was the big.
Speaker 1: Difference AND i think that's also what we're seeing from female, athletes being empowered in their own.
Speaker 4: Body don't know because the men had their rollout, first and the amount of COMMENTS i, read, like would you guys PUT nba players in? Skims, yes they already. Did they literally already. Did like you didn't, notice, right they literally already have done. It SO i think being able to do more things like, that like walks er, skims now we're tapping into, makeup, skin, beauty, hair, like there's just so much untapped.
Speaker 1: POTENTIAL i still, think, well and it makes sense because when y'all are playing for two and a half hours and nothing on your face, MOVES i need. THAT i needed that three hours ago On Kristen davis's brunch WHEN i was.
Speaker 3: Fitzing it's quite impressive BECAUSE i don't even have. THAT i don't even have that skill some of that you do this doesn't MEAN i do. THIS i paid for.
Speaker 2: This where's my makeup and?
Speaker 1: Hair how do we make sure the growth is sustainable in the long term and not a passing, trend because in my, view we have to make sure, brands investors and owners communicate with athletes and fans and understand what's driving their. Interests because Like i've had these great conversations with former and current athletes who have gotten to the ownership, side and they, say the biggest thing is connecting the, owners these millionaires with the players for them to nderstand what do they? Want what are the Why unrival's been so successful because it was started by two players who know what players. Want how have you found conversations with the highest level front office folks have gone when you try to get them to see the position and the perspective of the players in the.
Speaker 4: League it's always interesting talking to higher ups because like the initial reaction is like, Shock like she's really, intelligent she knows how to speak in these, rooms and like once you get over that, articulate articulate and.
Speaker 3: We know what that, yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: Microaggression but once you get over that hump and you're able to just to be relatable to them and relate to.
Speaker 3: THEM i think having brand partnerships that align.
Speaker 4: With the, athlete because athletes are on a microscope twenty four to seven on and off the, Court so you need to have athletes and people advertising for your products or company that like. Align so if someone, yeah so if someone sees the person out doing something and it goes completely again what they're, promoting that's not. Good for some, reason athletes are held at this like different type of pedestal as far as like behavior.
Speaker 3: Morality like you, said everybody.
Speaker 4: Wants to be a role, model which for me, PERSONALLY i love being a role.
Speaker 3: Model i'm the oldest sibling.
Speaker 4: Of, four so LIKE i have not known anything. Else but, like you're not forced to be a role model just because you're really good at a.
Speaker 3: Sport like you're just really good at a sport and you are who you. Are SO i think the best.
Speaker 4: Thing women are like the most conscious, consumers so they can see right through all. That so as women athletes and for, brands it's like very important that you do your due. Diligence you research the athletes that you're reaching out to and vice. Versa you us as, athletes we cannot show up to these meetings and these conversations completely unaware of what this company stands for and what they want to, do and then it's a two way.
Speaker 1: Street, YEAH i, mean in women's, sports the intersection of social issues is impossible.
Speaker 2: To ignore or.
Speaker 1: Perfectly being a woman in the world is a political. Act being a female athlete is an act of resistance against so many of the forces that try to hold us. Back and so when you try to do deal with companies that are not aligned with women in the women's, space it blows my mind that it takes announcing it and then having all of your fans and players being like the.
Speaker 2: Fuck for you to be, like we didn't, know, Right, like it's it's wild to.
Speaker 1: Me it's happening less and, less particularly because of the power of social, media and it removes the gatekeepers from being the only ones who tell you how people.
Speaker 2: Feel they don't have to publish an op ed or like.
Speaker 1: Tabs it's out there on social media when the fans are dismayed by the decisions you're making around your, business and it matters so much to then take.
Speaker 2: The pulse about the fans.
Speaker 1: And the players in your, league because when there is a buy, in you are the best, influencers the best, marketers the best. Spokespeople if you haven't read The Sports innovation Lap Band, project every single piece of data points to women's sports fans and women athletes as the number one pusher of like brand, affinity, feelings and changed feelings about a brand purchase.
Speaker 2: Power women are doing the.
Speaker 1: Spended why is it that women be shopping doesn't translate to sell to the women who be. Shopping we don't even think about, it but, like we already have the majority of household purchasing, power and it's only going up as we're getting more, jobs more college, degrees and we're still targeting men eighteen to forty.
Speaker 3: Nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Right, so with these brands making these smart, decisions and with the athletes getting the mic for, once why did you feel like it was a time for a podcast and for you to be able to speak to fans and marketers and everybody else about what it really is to be a professional women's basketball player instead of letting some of the screaming folks with the big, Platforms.
Speaker 2: Yeah talk about it from an uninformed.
Speaker 4: Place so funny, STORY i actually tried to start my own podcast a few years, ago and THEN i got cut out of training, camp SO i kind of had to like reel that in and wrap that. Up and the premise of that podcast was it was CALLED i think it was called Just Call me or, something AND i had been known On twitter to clap back at fans a lot in weirdos and, trolls and basically the premise of the show was to give people the opportunity to call into the show WHILE i was recording and say what they needed to say and we could have a. Conversation SO i was, like, oh this is such a really fun, idea but THEN i got cut SO i kind of just had to you, know refocus and make sure that the main thing stayed the main.
Speaker 3: Thing so you fast.
Speaker 4: Forward now you, Know i'm on a podcast With Underdog fantasy called Gils. Arena we talk all THINGS, nba and that's just been like the biggest blessing to. Me it really helped me find my voice and maybe but they didn't like you at, first they did not like me at. First The so Gils, arena, Right so, okay. Storytime so Gils arena is on. YouTube it streams four days a. Week it's a live streaming, PODCAST nba, podcast and there's a live chat that goes on during the. Show SO i remember my FIRST i would say a few months even the chat was.
Speaker 3: Just like who is this? Girl what does she? Do is she even? Good is da da da da, da like all this weird.
Speaker 4: Stuff so a few months into the, show we had a shooting competition and we invited listeners of the show to come TO la and compete for one hundred thousand dollars in a shooting. Composition so we all participated in, it AND i made it the farthest out of everybody on.
Speaker 3: The, show.
Speaker 4: SO i got to be labeled the best shooter on the. Couch and then they renamed the show To Alexi's arena for a, week so THEN i went over the. Chat but, like that's like being a woman in a nuts, Show like.
Speaker 3: Actually, storytime we love Story. Time my very first.
Speaker 1: Week as an update anchor AT espn one thousand In, chicago which means like every fifteen, minutes i'd come on.
Speaker 2: And, say welcome to YOUR espn one Thousand Sports Center. Update, tonight The cubs take on The reds a seven pm. Start right that was ALL i. DID i just got. THERE i hadn't been on.
Speaker 1: Air, yet but the first, show they were having an event at a casino Near chicago to create a basketball team from the radio station to play against THE jv college team of some local college that was talking smack and So Tom, waddell Former bears Player Mark silberman the other, host and then they were gonna have fans try out to be a part of the, team but folks from the radio station could try out, Too And i'm, like, GREAT i played aa yosha, Up i'm doing.
Speaker 2: GREAT i end up making the final cut of the.
Speaker 1: Players we never had the basketball game because local radio doesn't follow through on really, anything really.
Speaker 2: Anything BUT i make the.
Speaker 1: Cut it's my first day hanging out with the. Crew everything seems, fine and THEN i start getting messages on social media from a guy WHO i later found out was at that tryout and didn't make, it death.
Speaker 2: Threats WHAT i hope your dog.
Speaker 3: Gets hit by a? Car oh my, GOSH.
Speaker 2: I hope your boyfriend beats. You how did you get your? Job who did you sleep?
Speaker 1: With just relentless across every, Platform, Facebook, twitter.
Speaker 3: Over it's tryout for a hypothetical GANG.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember meeting this, person but that's how much there, was this feeling of like you don't belong and Also i'm so emasculated by.
Speaker 2: You being better than.
Speaker 1: Me, yeah and that's what we face every single time we walk into a, space and that's why it's so important to keep elevating our, voices telling our story worries to be funded and valued and held up as great at what we, do as deserving of everything we've, earned because there are people who are always going to be like, that and, honestly they don't deserve our time except for to have security make sure that they don't come to the station, Exactly. Harriet, okay so last question for you your Show Full. Circle you talked about in a recent episode the way media cover and talk about female. Athletes you've got a room full of some, media some, sponsors a lot of folks who are invested in making sure we're doing this. Right tell us the biggest thing that you see that the media is doing wrong and how we can help change.
Speaker 4: It for, me being the basketball nerd THAT i, AM i love analytical breakdowns of, games AND i feel like in the women's basketball space that is NONEXISTENT i feel like people tiptoe because we're. Women you don't want to hurt. Feelings but What i've learned being now in the media space is that there's ways to our ticulate points without being, mean without having personal. Jabs like if somebody shot twenty percent from the field in their, game they shot twenty percent from the field in their, game but that doesn't mean that they're the worst player on that that said. Team so that hopefully right. Exactly so there's ways to objectively cover women's sports without always pitting women against each other in a weird. Way AND i think like there just needs to be more mature conversation surrounding women's, basketball which is WHY i wanted to make my show completely about women's basketball and covering the game and everything that's going on and doing it in the.
Speaker 3: Most positive way. Possible, like, yes everything in sports is not, positive but it doesn't have to be like. Demeaning you don't have to over.
Speaker 4: Criticize but, like if a fact is a, Fact like people would call me a hater BECAUSE i would say, something But i'm, like but if it's, true is it?
Speaker 3: Really like how is it? Hate if it's?
Speaker 4: True But i'm not trying to like mess up someone's. Reputation i'm not trying to attack their person what they have going. On BUT i feel, like for, me like basketball is such a beautiful game to, me AND i love it so, much AND i really played basketball BECAUSE i love it.
Speaker 3: And it's so.
Speaker 4: Fun AND i just think that the joy of the game and the love of the game has been lost in media, money sponsorships. Deals AND i hope that my, show which is going to run through THE wnba, season which is going to be very interesting for, me But i'm really excited THAT i can be able, to you, know cover the league and my, team specifically The Seattle storm in an objective, way and bring in more fans and educate fans and have, them you, know fall in love with THE.
Speaker 3: WNBA i love.
Speaker 1: That And i'm going to say that you said it was, okay because what's been interesting for me is WHEN i started with THE esbnw about fifteen years, ago we almost had to be just cheerleaders because there was such a toxic hatred of women's sports that we wanted to offset that with. Support but then it became something where we recognize we couldn't make it legitimate if we didn't criticize the same way with women's but a lot of female athletes are so used to sycophantic relationships with the media because those are the people allowed in, yeah that they then push back on. Criticism we need to be able to take that, money get that, bag get THE tv, rights do all this, stuff and take the criticism that comes along with the legitimacy of a major.
Speaker 2: League AND i think we're still finding that. Balance but Now i'm just to Say Lexi brown SAID i could do.
Speaker 3: It, okay, yeah, cool do it is? Me all.
Speaker 1: Right we're looking forward to the, Season we're looking forward to the podcast and talking to you.
Speaker 2: Again thank you so much. Everybody Lexy, brown thanks again so much To lexi for joining.
Speaker 1: Us we had a, Blast and thanks to all the incredible folks At iHeart and The Hotel Saints cecilia for the gorgeous event that they threw celebrating Our iHeart Women's Sports network and our. SHOW i had such a fantastic time all weekend Meeting Kristin davis Of sex and The City fame and hearing about her Podcast Are you A?
Speaker 2: Charlotte she is truly a.
Speaker 1: DELIGHT i also got to hang out With Ed helms and hear about his Podcast.
Speaker 2: Snafu it was really.
Speaker 1: Cool he was around all weekend and went to everyone's, events which was so awesome of. HIM i also got to tell him how many Times i've been sent memes of his character on The, Office Andy. BERNARD i went To CORNELL i ever heard of, it like literally thousands of times in my. Life all that plus The iHeart Podcast awards yesterday, night Which i'm gonna tell you all more about later this. Week but just all in, all it was a really fantastic weekend full Of iHeart, events And i'm just super grateful that they included our. SHOW i also spent way too much money Getting cowboy, boots But i'd say it's an. INVESTMENT i think we could call it an. Investment all, right we have to take another. Break when we come, back we celebrate some, rivals stick, around.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Slices we always love that you're, listening but we want you to get in the game every day.
Speaker 2: Too so here's our good game play of the. Day it's an easy.
Speaker 1: One subscribe to The Full circle, podcast Which Lexi brown co hosts With Mariah. Rose will link to it in our show, notes and we always love to hear from, you especially when it's about gigantic Rice crispy. Treats we have loved getting your messages and, photos Especially Patti, bifoalco who also does great work for The Women's Sports. Foundation she sent us proof of a giant Rice krispy circa twenty eighteen that was at least three times the.
Speaker 2: Size of her. Head we all loved that.
Speaker 1: Photo we also heard From Slice, lisa who wrote to us with lore from a few decades ago with the subject line big ass Rice Crispy. Treats here's What lisa said, QUOTE i have what may be the answer To thursday's episode With Alexa philippoo and the story Of Dina Tarassi's Rice crispy treat hair bun. TABLE i worked as a cake decorator in the deli of a southern grocery store chain for several years in the late nineties WHILE i was building a portfolio for grad. School sometime around ninety nine or, so we got a mystery shipment of very large Rice crispy. Treats they were somewhere between the size of a quarter and a half sheet cake wrapped in those large blue foil, wrappers and they were shipped to us with the idea THAT i would be unwrapping them and decorating them like a.
Speaker 2: Cake it seems funny, now and.
Speaker 1: They probably have thirty seven varieties made with every cereal possible at your corner, bodega but commercially Available Rice Krispy treats only showed up in stores sometime in the early, nineties so we couldn't imagine anyone paying for these, things especially at the retail cake. Price we just put them out on the floor as. IS i believe they retailed for nine ninety, nine and the damn things were very popular and we ended up keeping them in stock on the. Floor now you may be wondering WHY i remember the year a product arrived at a JOB i held twenty five years, ago and that's BECAUSE i left for grad school in two thousand and The Rice Krispy treats were a newer product for, us so it had to be around nineteen ninety, nine which lines up With tarassi's years in.
Speaker 2: College and as soon As alexa started.
Speaker 1: Talking about A Rice crispy, table these things immediately came to, mind big enough to be a dining table in your grandparents' formal dining. Room absolutely not big enough to be something a college kid would have in a dorm and use as a flat.
Speaker 2: Surface, yes, indeed end.
Speaker 1: Quote we are obsessed with this, Story. Lisa thanks for reaching out and keep hitting us. Up whether you have stories About, Rice krispy tables or. Anything you could send us an email good game at wondermediaetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to, subscribe rate and. Review come, on go, on do. It give us a bunch of, stars tell us how awesome we.
Speaker 1: Are it's easy watch community owners who roast opponents in the best possible. Way rating ten out of Ten Sickos. Review shout out to The sickos, community fellow community owners of our show, team The Minnesota AURORA.
Speaker 2: Fc The sikos published a very weird, video but in the.
Speaker 1: Best possible, way breaking down The Aurora's Heartland division. Rivals, now if you're not familiar with The Sickos, committee they're a group of self described depraved college football fans who call Themselves sickos because they watch every game possible and love it all no matter the. Teams they take their inspiration from a now Infamous Dan kelly comic drawn for The.
Speaker 2: Onion you'll probably recognize it if you look it.
Speaker 1: Up we love that they hop aboard The Minnesota aurora train and are applying their Special sickos behavior to prepping us for the upcoming season and taking out every opponent in The aurora's.
Speaker 2: Way take a. Listen ROCHESTER fc is known as The, loons not Those. Loons they're the Other, loons The loons in our league In, rochester not That, rochester the Other rochester in our.
Speaker 1: State we'll link to that full video in the show notes and a. Reminder single match tickets for The AURORA fc season are now on sale Now it's your turn, slices rate and. Review thanks for, Listening see you. Tomorrow Good, GAME, Lexi Good games South By southwest you.
Speaker 2: Sleep when will we ever meet?
Speaker 1: Again Good game With Sarah spain is An iHeart women's sports production in partnership With Deep Blue sports And. Entertainment you can find us on The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever.
Speaker 2: You get your.
Speaker 1: Podcasts production By Wonder Media, network our producers Are Alex azzie And Misha. Jones Our executive producers Are Christina, Everett Jesse, Katz Jenny kaplan And Emily. Rutterer our editors Are Emily, Rudder Britney martinez And Grace. Lynch our associate producer Is Lucy jones And I'm Your Host Sarah spain