Speaker 1: Socks on thirty fifth is next doors open on the left?
Speaker 2: What is going on?
Speaker 3: White Sox fans, and Welcome to episode one and seventeen of These Socks on thirty fifth podcast. I am your host for the evening, Jordan Leazaski. I am joined as always by Nick Auer and friend of the show, Minor League managing editor, who has had less and less to talk about at times on this show than usual. Michael swearro also joining us this evening. Gentlemen, how are you both doing or how are you both? I guess holding up. I will say first though, to the father on the show, Michael swear Happy Father's Day, sir.
Speaker 1: Thanks Jordan, I appreciate that I had a good Father's Day today, holding up pretty well. I wish we could have gotten a win on Father's Day, but that was a rough one to witness. Both me and my grandpa were together, just yelling at the TV, yelling at Sir Anthony Dominga's and the fielding and everything that just went wrong at the end of that game. But otherwise we're doing pretty good. Luckily, I got my my five month old to cheer me up, so that's that's as good as I could be at the moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's nice that you and your grandpa got to watch the game together at least. And I'm yeah, I didn't get to watch today's game. I mean, obviously know what happened, but I'm kind of happy based on what I've read about that I wasn't watching.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 4: Being said, it does feel good that we're kind of like ripping through these episodes now. The Jordan's Saga is one seventeen. Like I remember the big deal, like all the hoopla around Upside one hundred and it said, Okay, we're we're doing these so consistently. Now we're doing more than one per week in a lot of cases because the team is so interesting right now. And yes, I know they're one in five this week, but you know, the vibes are still good. We got Charity's Day coming up Tuesday. We've got a big home series against Cleveland, So I don't know, it's a different team on the home at home that it is on the road, I should say. So, I'm still trying to be optimistic heading into this week.
Speaker 2: Say this.
Speaker 3: Because I know I've gone back and forth on this throughout the start of the year. It's good news and bad news. The good news is I now have expectations for this team, and I've gotten mad at games. The bad news is I now have expectation for this team, and I get mad at games. I realized it on Sunday when the game end of the way it did, and we we're having just trying to do a family dinner for father's sake. My mom goes, why are you so quiet? I'm like, no reason. I'm sorting like, oh my god, it's because of that stupid baseball team. And I have my rule, like a thirty minutes after a game is the longeside allow myself to be mad at a sporting event. But I was mad and I didn't realize it, and then.
Speaker 2: I did, and I was like, ah damn.
Speaker 3: I've held out as long as I could on this team, and unfortunately I am now expecting things from them. So Nick, I guess I've caught up with you. Michael, I'm not sure where you ever felt on that, but I'm here.
Speaker 1: Look, part of the reason why I got into prospects was because I was just I got to a point where I got used to the White Sox disappointing me, so like just getting into prospects, like giving myself something to look forward to in the future. Like that's what kept me being like an avid White Sox fan. But just like you, now they're starting to give me hope. Now I'm expecting them to actually be competitive and win these games. So like when they lose a game like that, it does get to me. Man, I was just upset as you were. Luckily, I grew up in a very sports centric family, so you know, I was just saying, I was yelling at the TV with my grandpa, also yelling at the TV with my mom, who's a big White Sox fan, So like it something that we're all kind of used to. The White we're just like saying the same old White Sox, or at least they were. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude here, but like it is frustrating when they're losing games that they should be winning now. But also at the same time, that tells you that this team is at a different spot than we're used to seeing them. So on one end, I'm happy we're at this spot, but like it's just frustrating when they're not playing up to what they should be playing at. And I've got some thoughts that I'm sure we're going to get too later in the show about why that's happening and why maybe we are overacting a little bit. But I digress. It's a great spot, but man, it can be frustrating sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we'll jump right into that point, but before we get too far into the show, be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, wherever you get your podcasts. We've been slowly building this YouTube channel up, so continue to please support. We love seeing guys in the chat. So guys who are listening right now dropping out in the chat, I always love reading them as we're going. So also be sure to follow us on social media at socks on thirty fifth, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, every social media platform.
Speaker 2: We're there.
Speaker 3: Socks on thirty fifth dot com is the website continuing to put out great content there, so make sure you're following along and as always, we appreciate the support.
Speaker 2: Let's actually start.
Speaker 3: At your point, Michael, I don't need to rehash everything here. One in five this week they won one game, five to one. Four of the runs that happened in that victory came on one swing. It was a dormant offense, and I think that's the politest.
Speaker 2: Term I will use for it.
Speaker 3: But then you started to see whether it's me finally getting angry or some of the fan reactions on social media.
Speaker 2: People are pissed after a one and five week.
Speaker 3: I guess your thoughts on why that is, or I let's just start there, like where do we feel like the feelings are valid? Valid's not the right word, but like realistic is maybe the right word of I am mad because.
Speaker 2: Of X, Y and Z reasons over the past week or so of games.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it really starts with we've just seen this team play better, Like we know that they have that in them. We just saw them take serieses against the Braves and the Dodgers, and we saw them be at least competitive with the Yankees. We know that this team has more in it than they just showed in this series, Like getting swept by the Tigers, the last place Tigers should be unacceptable. And sure, they're starting to get a little more healthy, they have school all back, and they're probably better than what their record says. But we've just a couple of weeks ago, we were on this high watching this team play such good baseball and then it just looked like it all went down the drain. So that's what the first trading part is, is, like, we know that this team completely better than they've shown these last six games, where it's hard to get too upset, at least for me, and where I'm maybe trying to take a step back and see the bigger picture here, and maybe this is part of me being that prospect guy and always kind of looking more towards the future. This is still a very young team and they're learning how to win games still. They've cleared a massive hurdle this season by just playing competitively. Now they have to learn how to win on the road. Now they have to learn how to overcome some of these slumps that players are going through. You know, the pitching we all know needs to be improved overall. The hitting hasn't been that big of an issue until recently. Now we're starting to see them slump a little more. How can they get over that? What adjustments can they make? Who's going to step up to kind of fill that void? Now? You know, we do have Kyle Teal maybe coming back as soon as tomorrow, that's kind of what it sounds like. But when you're seeing Colson Montgomery slump when you're not getting the production from Urracami because he's on the shelf. When you're just getting no production from the catcher position whatsoever, you have to rely on other people to step up, and we've seen it happen throughout the season, but recently it doesn't seem like that's happening. Part of that is just we have a really young team that's still learning how to win some of these games. So it is kind of growing pains. You are going to see some of those peaks and valleys, and I do think we need to take a bit of a step back and realize that that's where we're at and we are still very much ahead of where we're supposed to be right now. It is still frustrating because we've seen them play better. We know that they should be playing better and they need to get more consistent in that manner. But I am trying to still take that holistic picture here and be like, this is just part of how that incredibly young team and they just have to learn how to what they need to do to get past it. They're going to start to get healthier. It could just be a very short lived thing. We'll wait and see what happens. But I'm still optimistic about this team. I'm not gonna sit here and say that the sky's falling because I really just don't think it is. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, those are all really good points by MICHAELA. I I agree with everything you said. I also would take it a bit further and say that the way they've been losing is maybe it's more frustrating to me than the fact that they're losing, because you said it well, you said that we've been complaining about the pitching all year, and the offense has done pretty good. But this week, at least the Detroit series, it was the offense that was failing more than the pitching. And I that's what's frustrating to me, is because the starting pitching in particular is what everyone myself included, has had a lot more concerned with for the rest of the season, the second half of the season, what's that going to look like? But this week in Detroit, the starters, I mean, I know one game was a bullpenne game, so it's hard to quantify that, but you know, Fetti and Davis Martin did their jobs, and the bullpen that opener Newcomb did his job on Saturday, and the offens just couldn't score runs.
Speaker 1: And what makes me.
Speaker 4: Feel a little bit better about it is that when Murakami first got injured, you know whatever, it was like three weeks ago, what I told myself is, this is what we're going to see. We're going to see a lot of you know, low scoring games that we probably wouldn't have been in without the injuries. To about him and Teal, I even said to my dad today, like, I think that the White Sofe would have won at least one of these last two games against the Tigers if Murakani were present. Instead of getting pretty much nothing out of you know, Jacob Gonzales or Ben and Tende, whoever you could argue was starting in his place that particular day, Murakami probably at least gets on base a couple of times, if not hit a home run or two. So I think that's where you're really missing him. It's still impressive with to me that they played as well as they did without him for so long. The offense, I should say, but you know, hopefully Teal is back this week at some point, and you start to kind of get get those guys back in the lineup because unfortunately, it's like one phase of the team gets better in this case is starting pitching, but their face steps back and you just really want to see it all clicking at the same time. And I think we still could get that, especially as the team gets healthier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with them coming back home, I'm hoping there's a little bit we continue to harp on the same things, like you have to do some roster churning, right, you have to continue to cycle through arms. They did it with Tyler Davis. I'm glad they finally flipped the switch like that. That was that was a ticking time bomb for a little bit there, and it finally blew up in their faces at the worst possible moment.
Speaker 2: It is what it is.
Speaker 3: Newcom is a guy that he's become incredibly valuable in like that two three inning roll.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they even stretch them ount a little bit further. They don't have.
Speaker 3: The problem is they don't have the luxury to do that, which is frustrating at this point, and I hope at some point they do find the luxury to do it. Those are just my initial thoughts, My most frustrating thing. And Nick, you tweeted about it. Why is Grant Taylor pitching once this week? I get there were some blow up games, right, like there was no expectation to pitch the first couple of games in New York, and even the third game was borderline. But you walked into a bullpen game against Detroit on Saturday that you said was a bullpen game and you didn't use your best reliever during that game. It's an insane oversight on my opinion, from my opinion, without knowing obviously who's available who's not. But then where you back yourself into a corner. And I don't know how either of you feel on this. When it comes to Taylor's usuage on Sunday with one inning versus two innings, I feel like that that came off to me as you know, we've got to play Cleveland. I might need him tomorrow, demingez can finish this game off versus winning the game that's right in front of you against the division rival. That's where I go back and forth on this week, because like, yes, we're gonna have weeks. As fans were like, these guys couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. And that's that's part of having the youngest team, one of the youngest teams in baseball. I what age twenty six average in the starting lineup. But Nick, to your point, it's how they're doing it at the same time, like that grand Taylor alone, it's inexcusable for how he was used the past couple of games in Detroit. I don't know that that's what I walked away most frustrated by. And Venville's postgen comments on Sunday didn't give much insight into it other than yeah, we felt good about Domingas in that spot. I don't know why you would, to be honest with you, given the recent track record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the tailor thing. I mean, the only way I can think about irrationally is they must just not be prioritizing him being a starting pressure next season the way that they claimed they would, you know, heading into the season, because otherwise they would be using a lot more from multiple innings. And you could argue with today's a game that you know I started. I didn't watch the game, but at least was tracking pitch by pitch in the eighth and ninth and he was missing a lot, like he was falling behind hitters. Obviously keep up the home run, so he wasn't his normal self. But I look at that and I think, well, whose fault is that he hasn't pitched in a week. He's probably rusty, and he seemed to figure things out toward the end of that inning. So yeah, I think more likely than not, do you send him out for that ninth, then you probably win that game. He probably gets to save. So that's what's frustrating to me, especially Saturday. I was watching Saturday, and as soon as Newcome left the game after the third inning, I was taking great, go to Taylor for four and five, maybe four five, six if you really want to get innings out of him, and then seven eight nine can be some combo of like Bryan Hudson, Domingaz, somebody else here. The bullpenp was pretty rested honestly heading into that game. The important guys, I should say, but they just didn't use them, And yeah, it's frustrating. It reminds me a lot of the way Kopek was handled. It was onently twenty one where he got innings out of the bullpen, but not nearly enough. There would be these long stretches where he just wouldn't pitch. The saving grace for him is he actually got a spot start here and there where he would throw five or six innings, and actually he was pretty good as a starter that year, just a limited run. The White's notn't really doing that with Taylor. I don't know if they will, but you know, we talk all the time about how this team needs to have, you know, someone step up in the starting rotation. You kind of have a perfect guy right there in Taylor who should maybe shouldn't be a start of the whole season because he doesn't have the you know, the staminar or whatever. But late in the season and dare I say playoffs, that's someone I want starting game. I just don't know if that's feasible at this point.
Speaker 2: But two things on that.
Speaker 3: Number One, they need to do it with somebody, and if they're not willing to do it with Taylor, Davis or not. Davis Newcome came into this season and they said he was going to compete for the starting or for the starting rotation. So you have a guy that has a history of being stretched out. Obviously was moved to the bullpen because the stuff played up better.
Speaker 2: I totally get it.
Speaker 3: But someone's got to do it right, Like, you have to be creative at some point, and that's been we've talked about that.
Speaker 2: That's my frustration. If you're going to overachieve.
Speaker 3: And you're going to do it in a way that is very Milwaukee esque or Tampa Bay esque or even Guardians ask you have to be willing to do things differently and do things that are a little created and they haven't done that yet. And it's this is where it comes back to bite them and the tailor thing. Yes, I agree, and probably part of the logic was, well, it didn't look good that first sitting. The devil you know, is still better than the one you don't, Right, you don't know what Dimingas has on any given day, but you know, hey, Taylor, even if he doesn't have his best stuff, I'll still take him against the bottom of that order, right Like that's I don't know. For me, it is so frustrating to have so few arms and such limited ways in which they're deploying them at the same time, and and it's the creativity element to me that I still still feel is lacking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I very much agree with that. I do wonder so I was just talking about how you know this this is a young team. There's going to be growing pains. I think they were scene there with the manager too. I think Will Bendable is still very an experienced manager. I think he's still kind of learning how to navigate a bullpen, and I think that is something that he really does need to work on. If not mid season, he's going to need to take a long look at how he managed this bullpen over the offseason and adjusts from there, because some of the decision making there is just head scratching, Like not pitching Grand Taylor let alone in an bullpen day when he is your best bullpen arm, but not pitching him for a full week. I just I don't understand that. And sure some of those games are out of reach anyways, but some of them were still up for the taking and the game just got blown wide open. So not using him at all and then coming back to only give him the eighth inning this game when he very easily could have taken the eighth and ninth ending. In my opinion, he was well rested, he was getting to nick your point, he was getting better throughout that inning, and yeah, it's going to happen if you don't pitch for a week straight, you're going to be a little there. So yeah, you're gonna make a few mistakes early on in that outing. But he adjusted he should have stayed out there for that night. I'm very firm on that. I don't know with Newcome. I do think that they feel like they have to keep him in the bullpen right now because they have so few reliable bullpen arms. I am curious if they do get in the position where they're adding, do they prioritize adding a starter or do they want to prioritize adding maybe relievers and then entertain stretching new Come out to get some more starts. I do wonder if, since I'm the prospect, I have to bring this up. I do wonder if the injuries to guys like Hagen Smith and Tanner McDougall maybe through a wrench in some of their plans. I feel like both of them were probably supposed to be up by now in the rotations, So I do feel like they just don't quite have the pitching depth that they thought they were going to have. Now, maybe that can turn into one or both of those guys being the bullpen depth down the road. I've thought about the idea of maybe moving Tanner McDougal into the bullpen arm, but that's a discussion you can have later. But it just seems like something's off right now. I don't know exactly what it is. Is it Will Benable learning how to manage his bullpen, Is it they don't have faith in the arms they have. It might honestly just be both, but it just it just doesn't look great right now.
Speaker 3: Here's my first hot take for the Evening and the little behind the scenes here. When we knew Duke wasn't being able to join because a Father's day, I told Michael, I'm like, you know what, I want you to join, regardless of Duke can join, because I got a hot take. I want to go at here, and my hot take is and it's not even a hot take. Maybe it's like there's been so little criticism of Banister right now when this team needs reinforcements, there's just nobody coming.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna blame injuries on him, right like that. McDougall, Schultz Smith, fine, but like your three horses get hurt and all of a sudden you can't pull anything like think of the guys who have contributed. Taylor, okay, fine, Tyler Davis, you picked him up and maybe you get something there. Hicks is the bullpen, but he was signed. Your best guys are veterans, Hudson and Newcome. Where's the rookie that comes and really lights it up. I know Ben Peebles isn't here. We talked about it. He's walking the ballpark, so that's probably part of it. Or Winkelming and Zalez has been hurt. I get that, but like, I don't know, it still feels like there should be another arm or two somewhere, right, Like, what's the issue that they can't find a little bit of reinforcements to churn it? Why is any sort of churning of this roster have to be God, I hope somebody dropped Joe Rock on the waivers and we can pick him up like that seems like it should be a concern for me, not not the top end guys, because those guys take a while. We're the random twenty five twenty six year olds to come out of nowhere because you've you've done well on the development side. That that's a current concern of mine personally.
Speaker 1: That that's a great question. And I do think that Banister does this or some criticism on that, because we really haven't seen any sort of depth develop. To your point, you know, the one guy can think of as maybe that could be that guy is David Sandlin. You know, maybe I've always kind of thought that his arm would play up better in the bullpen. Anyways, I do kind of wonder maybe he's that guy. Well, see, I don't it's it is. It is frustrating. You know, we don't have the depth that we just thought we were going to have, and it is it's noticeable now we're not just not getting the level production that we should be from these guys and we're just Banister. I don't know if it's identifying talent or if it's developing talent, but either way, we have to find something to keep us afloat for now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean with Banister, like, I listened to him talk about pitching for three minutes and I feel like an absolute more on So I don't want to come off as like some just some idiot's criticism and banished, but he knows so much more than I ever will about pitching. That being said, ever since I heard his justification for not letting Grant Taylor start last year. That's when I started thinking, Okay, like I understand that you're afraid he might get injured, Like that's a that's a valid concern, But he would have, you know, three to four times more value as a good starter then as a great closer. So why not at least let him start and then if he gets injured then you could say, Okay, you're a reliever now. Like it just feels like they're doing it backwards to me, and that's kind of I don't want to blame it all on Banister. I'm sure there's more than just just that going on, but yeah, I think it's fair to say that Ryan Fuller he's been doing on the hitting side is definitely a lot more impressive because we're seeing it at the major league level. We're seeing the results of it, whether it with Colson Montgomery or is somebody who might not be playing as well but has totally reinvented himself from Jacob Gonzalez and is actually a true like a real player now and not just you know, a bust from the draft like we thought what he was going to be. So I hope that this turns, and I think part of it is injuries, Like I do think that Gonzales being injured and McDougal being injured, I think they would both have been in the majors by now for sure had they not gotten hurt. But we'll still probably see them at some point this year, so hopefully sooner than later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again it's a I don't know nothing about baseball compared to the guys in the organization.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 3: It's just it's frustrating to see this happening. And then I don't know, it would be nice to hear more from the pitching side of things in general. I feel like, you know, I felt like I heard more or from Cats than I hear from both. Maybe it's just because he's new and things like that. I don't know, it's all new. It's all I don't want to distract from the major league team, which is still you got to play with. Like, there are games in this week that were winnable with the talent on both sides of the ball that are here.
Speaker 2: That's not the development problem.
Speaker 3: I personally think though, too, Like if I'm being objective about I and there might be some recency biases. I think today Sunday's game was objectively Will Venable's worst game as a manager, between not having Taylor for a second inning. One thing I don't think it's getting talked about enough is Edgar or not Edgar Luisan Helakunya still playing shortstop in the ninth inning when you had Vargas come in and pinch hit later in the game so he was available. So why isn't your best shortstop playing shortstop in the last inning. I feel like for someone who makes a ton of defensive replacements, that felt like an easy one, and I feel like it came back to bite him. Just Acuni's arm isn't as good as Montgomery's and that mattered on that last play straight up and the bullpen management in general. I didn't love his answer about why Martin only threw seventy five pitches. It was kind of like we had a conversation. We agreed it was for the best, but like, why was the stuff right there? We like the matchups better? Fine, just I didn't love the answer, but I'm not gonna blame him for pulling Martin early. It's whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It just didn't feel like a good end to a seat where it's like, hey, you're heading home to Cleveland. You've had a huge series coming up. It would have been nice to grab this one salvage the week, and they just didn't.
Speaker 2: And I meant too.
Speaker 3: Like the bunt of a Kunya Acunya falls off a butnt and then hits a two run bomb, like it's all those things.
Speaker 2: It's like you're overmanaging it.
Speaker 3: At some point is how I feel, And the bunting is where I feel that, and just stick with who you know and Taylor. I know you wouldn't have Taylor for Monday against the Guardians, but my tax might be up fifteen to nothing at this point tomorrow night, and you're not gonna use Taylor anyway. You plan for what you've got in front of you. And I felt like that game was so winnable. Obviously it was winnable, but it was so important to win it, and it was not coached that way. It was coach like, whatever, we lose this one. I think there's a general vibe. I feel like this show would have been different if they won this game and they were two and four, because like, all right, at least salvaged it. Listen shitty week, those are going to happen. You salvaged it, you didn't get swept.
Speaker 1: Move on.
Speaker 3: Now it's like you had the chance to do it, and I felt like the decisions directly influence the outcome.
Speaker 2: That's frustrating to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I definitely agree with that. And it's nice to be able. As we've said, it's not able to even have these I'm super frustrated by the manager's decisions instead of frustrated by, you know, some all time loss record or something stupid. But with Venable, I mean I will give him credit and that I think he's actually quite good when it comes to his strategy for the opener this year, as well as his strategy for changing the lineup based on handedness. I will say, though he's good with that, but sometimes he like doesn't read or doesn't care if the opposing picture has reversed splits and we'll just do the lefty ready stuff anyway. But other than that, like, it's still better than what we've seen in the past from Socks manager. So I do think that he to an extent, he gets it, and he puts his team in good positions before the game starts to win the game. It's once the game starts that I start, you know, with the bunting and the weird bullpun usage.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like, And I don't like harping too much on bullpun usage because it's like half of the bullpen or hardly MLB arms in my opinion.
Speaker 1: So you can't really blame.
Speaker 4: Him for everything. But at the same time, I do think that there are things that could be improved, right, And I think it's fair to say were saying, so, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think one thing that I also want to touch on, and it's something actually row Dog three one two in the chat mentioned was Montgomery kind of the way he looks maybe he had just come back from sort of that back tweak or back ache whatever, and he had a brutal series, and he's had a couple of brutal series outside of that one game in New York with two homers. He's sitting like under two hundred in June. I don't know any lingering concerns for either of you about just injury potential or is it more so just hey, did you knew this was the type of player he was when you saw him posting those thirty percent strikeout rates. I tend that way to be honest with you, like you knew you were getting this type of player some weeks. But I don't know any potential concern about the lingering back.
Speaker 1: Maybe I could see why it might be a concern, Maybe there is something to it. I think he's just he's always going to be a streaky hitter. I think that's just who he is. There's gonna be stretches where he's just hitting bombs every other day, and there's gonna be stretches where he's striking out every other at bat and it's frustrating to watch. I think that's just who he is as a player, and I think he's good enough overall that you live with that, because he does add a lot offensively, especially when he's on, Plus the fact that he's such a good defensive shortstop that really for a lot of people came out of nowhere. I think it's just something you gotta live with. He is just going to go through these peaks and valleys, and when he's on, he is gonna look like a superstar shortstop, So you're gonna have to suffer through some of these stretches. He has had some back injuries that date back to his minor league career. So again, maybe there is something there, but I tend to agree with you, Jordan, I'm not too concerned. I just think that's more he's gonna have. He's just never going to be that consistent bet that some people want him to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree with you both. He's relying a lot more on guessing what the pitch is going to be, a lot more than some of his teammates might, at least based on what I've read from his approach. So I think that's why he might look it might look ugly when he's swinging and missing a lots. He's just getting out guessed a lot of the time. But the back injuries, I mean, somebody of his height, they're probably not going to ever fully go away. Like probably something has to manage throughout his career. But it doesn't mean that his career is going to end abruptly or anything like that, or doesn't have to mean that. And if you look at any at bat Montgomery's had in the majors since he came up, and you just like watch his mannerisms in between pitches, I feel like he's always has been kind of like you know, twitchy for lack of a better word, like kind of like Joey Gallo Escalmos. She's always like configuring things and like moving his back and rud ways. I don't know think it means he's injured necessarily, just kind of who he is. But yeah, I mean it's I've kind of just accepted this as the player that he is, and it's a very good player. I'm not saying like a bad thing. I think on an ideal version of this White Sox team that we talked about in the last episode or two, he's probably more of like the six hitter and you have TiO Murakami or both of them batting ahead of viments that have behind. But with all the injuries, he's kind of forced to be the guy right now along with Vargas, and it's just it's a lot when he's not, you know, on one of his hot streaks.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: I think it's just we talked about this before the season. You need to understand the type of player you are are they are, each of them individually. I have two other things I want to discuss. One I want to throw out one more downer and then we'll throw some positives. We'll preview the week and then we'll talk through Socks charities. I'm going to try a new feature on this live stream. If I crash everything, I apologize in advance. I've been on this soapbox pretty much the entire year. I'm going to stay on it. With the Kyle Teal potential return, I honestly might be in a place where I would just complete change out the catching position. Romo gon Caro, gone bring up a Michael Turner. Michael, you and I actually talked about it. Maybe just bringing someone else from outside the org. Here's me getting on my.
Speaker 2: Soapbox real fast.
Speaker 3: Look at this For those who are viewing this after the Factor listening to it more so, I'm pulling up Edgar Carrow's abs challenges and the fact that he is the worst by a long shot in baseball at this There are pitches on here, and it came up, I think in the New York series, but it happened again on Sunday where he is just challenging pitches.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what did you think you saw when you challenge that?
Speaker 3: And it's kind of driving me nuts to the point where that Socks should have to rein it back in on him. If they're going to keep him around. Personally, I think he's really bad at knowing his own personally. There are a couple of these here I want to pull up. Particularly in three ball counts, are a few interesting ones. I'm like, all right, this ball here is almost three inches out of the zone. Okay, it's in the eighth inning. That one kind of makes sense, right, it's three to two, two nothing, game, kind of makes sense. You're in the eighth inning of a game. Sure, there's this one here in the second inning of a game. You're blowing a challenge in the second inning. You have just changed the trajectory of the next couple innings for this team. We saw it in New York with a Miguel Vargas strikeout. Felt like you couldn't challenge something that was three inches below the zone because the Socks only had one challenge left and it was like a fourth inning.
Speaker 2: Same thing here.
Speaker 3: The team's up six nothing, so it probably doesn't matter as much. But like some of these, and you can see all the black ones around here, I'll try and zoom it in a little bit for folks who are watching. All of the black ones are ones that were incorrect challenges essentially.
Speaker 2: What are you doing on some of these dude?
Speaker 3: Like some of these are so bad and it drives me nuts when I watch it on the game games. The frustrating thing Romo is the opposite. I'm like, dude, would you challenge a couple pitches? I do either of you know the strike zone? And it's kind of frustrating to me. The funny thing is on the flip side of it, Caro has challenged. Let me actually see, if you guys know this, how many challenges do you think Caro's had as a hitter this year?
Speaker 1: Not many. I don't recall seeing him challenge much at all as a hitter, so I don't know the number, but I imagine it's pretty small.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 3: He has challenged one all year. So it's like, do you not trust yourself? Do the socks not trust.
Speaker 2: You to challenge?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What is the issue?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to figure that out.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to get on a guy who's already struggling offensively. But if you're not providing offensive value, you've got to provide defense value. And if you're doing neither, let's go let him figure it out. Charlotte Teal's gonna play five out of six games a week. Even if you leave Romo at the big league level, he can figure that out. Or you can bring up a Michael Turner who's i know, twenty seven years old, so it's not really a prospect, but you can have someone just catch or you can cycle through it. I don't know, it's it's frustrating to me. And if we're gonna be venting a little bit on this show, I'm gonna add that to my list before we get into the positives. That's just another one of the recent frustrations of mind watching these games and seeing more so not not the call itself, but the downstream effects of it. For fifth, sixth, eighth inning on when it's like there are just some things that happened because of a second inning, dumb challenge, And I think it's starting to frustrate me personally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so. It's hard for me because I was a big Caro fan coming up in the minors. I still think there's a lot to like about his game. We haven't really seen it this year, but I think he showed a lot of flashes last year and I think there's still a starting caliber catcher in there. Somewhere with him. It has been so frustrating to watch him manage to strike something from behind the plate some of those challenges, Like you didn't even need to bring up the visuals, like we all know, like it's been so frustrating, but like just seeing how bad it's been just makes it so much worse. And it is to the point where he's not I mean, he's a negative warplayer right now. Maybe he does need to reset in minors in somewhere in or go down to Charlotte work on some things. I was actually when the Blue Jays dfa Tyler Heineman, I was hoping that they put an a claim there just because, I mean, god awful at the plate. I think he has like a fifteen WRC plus this year, which is atrocious. But despite being so bad at the plate, he still was had a positive f war That shows you how good he's been defensively. That's the type of guy I wouldn't mind bringing in, especially with Teal coming back, just someone that you know can manage things behind the plate, especially with the young pitching staff, and just with the issues we've had with Balden strike challenges this year. It would have been nice to bring someone like that in. I don't hate the idea of Michael Turner either. He's been hitting pretty well on triple A. I think he's got around a nine hundred ops. I don't know if there's a real emobig player in there, but maybe it's worth finding out. But I do think that a reset could do Caro some good. I'm personally not too sold on Romo sticking around much either. I think he's got some options to so you could send him down as well. But I kind of agree with you. I wouldn't mind seeing a complete reset at that position because we've just gotten nothing at that position this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, it's not a bad idea. The frustrating thing for me with Caro is I'm seeing, even if the numbers aren't good, I'm seeing some growth on offense that I feel like because that quality of his that bats have gotten better since April. He's hitting them all harder. He's had a lot of tough luck outs in the last few weeks. I can see some growth, even if it's not a lot. But on defense, I agree that I've seen no growth. I've seen you know, the challengesu as you've seen, and it's Also, I don't want to throw everything at Venable's feet, but it might be aventable issue or a coaching staff issue too, where the team will have one challenge left. It'll be at the sixth or seven of the name, and there'll be a strike called on like a Vargas or of Montgomery that's like four inches out of the zone and sometimes for strike three, and they won't challenge it because they only have one left. And it's like, that's why you saved the one, Like, sure, it's not the ninth inning yet, but that's such an egregiously bad call.
Speaker 1: You have to use it.
Speaker 4: There and they don't. I don't know why, And yes, part of its Carrol's fault for wasting it in the second mean, but also it's like it's not like you have zero left, Like if you're wrong about a pitch that you think is four inches outside the zone, then you got to recalibrate as a hitter because you really don't know the zone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a valid point too there. I don't know what the strategy is behind the scenes for who's using the sacs.
Speaker 2: Don't challenge a ton.
Speaker 3: There are a few hitters who challenge it, but they don't spread it out. I think for me, the only benefit to Romo is like if you just you are swinging for the fences every single time, and that's it. That's the benefit for him and Caro. I agree Nick, like the bats are better, but are they gonna stay good if you're hitting twice a week once Teal comes back, I don't know. I think some sort of reset with maybe Fuller more directly might be helpful for him, because You're right, Michael, there's talent there. This isn't a bad baseball player. It's just it's not working right now, and I don't think it's going to work any better once he becomes more of a part time player than he already is. I did say would get to some positives, so I will name the two. Duke's not here to talk about how good Andrew ben and Tendi has been since Markami went down, specifically that's been a huge boost to this team.
Speaker 2: And Louis an Helico. This is Duke just.
Speaker 3: Missing the chance. His two big guy Andrew Benintendi and Luis aan Helakunya. I have positive things to say about how they've both been doing. I think Akunya is like over four hundred in June right now, there have been some positive things from the two of them that have really helped keep this afloat, and I thought it was worth at least mentioning both of those guys. I don't know if you have any specific thoughts either of you, but at least two guys who get a lot of crap for me specifically that earned their flowers.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think it's funny. You look at Ben and Tendi's stats since Murakami got hurt, and it's basically Murakami's stats, like he's basically became Munataka for three weeks or whatever. And I think the Detroit series is a bit more rough for Ben and Tendi as well as the whole offense, to be fair, So I'm hoping that he's able to continue, you know, impersonating Murakami. But it is funny, like the correlation. I mean, he was he was decent in May two, to be fair, but he's really stepped up when the team meeting him. So I do agree with you.
Speaker 1: Every time Ben Intendi it's a bomb, mel I have to tag Duke Gnox and you'll play that damn video because I just know he's thrilled. It is great to see him. I know, the dumbest thing. It's the dumbest thing.
Speaker 3: But it is good to see some of the turnaround there and it'll be things we look at as we head into next week. Which is one of the other things I want to talk about before we talk about SOX charities. Is the likely matchups for this Guardian series Anthony k Versus Gavin Williams, Sean Burke, Parker Messic, Eric Fetti, Tanner Biby as the matchups.
Speaker 2: I will just say this, is it a must win series?
Speaker 3: Six out of the next thirteen games I think are with Cleveland, so you've got two series with them in the next four series. Is it a must win series or do you feel like they're still going to be like, hey, if you drop one or if you drop two and only get one fine. Again, it comes back to our initial thing of like where our expectations still, like where do you fall on what people will say is the biggest series so far this year for the Socks.
Speaker 1: I think I'm not going to say this series is must win, but I think over the next two series, I think they at least have to go three and three with them. I think they have to stay afloat with Cleveland. That's my personal opinion. I think obviously winning the series would be a huge boost, and I think that would carry some momentum. I don't think in June it's the end all be all for this team. I would say it's more important to at least be competitive with them right now and again just overall try to win three of those next six games against them, because you just want to make sure that you're not giving them an insurmountable lead at this point. So just stay in there for now and get healthy. Maybe add at the deadline and you can really just make sure that it's within reach. That way, you can make up some ground later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if the White Sox go five hundred against the Guardians this year, I'll feel fairly good about their playoff chances because I have more faith in the White Sox beating non Guardians teams and the Guardians the beating non White Sox teams solely because of the injuries that have been piling up for the Guardians. I mean, they've just lost basically or three other four best hitters with you know, decently serious injuries, like you know, four plus weeks At the same time, the White Socks are waiting teal back. They're hopefully getting more coming back soon. So like for the next month or two, I feel that the White Sox are in a decent position, especially with the schedule now getting easier. Although clearly it didn't matter this weekend. So to me, what's more important is not the results of these next three games, but how they play. Kind of similar to what we were talking about. Are they losing a one run game where Venable's decisions seem fine, just getting out played and it's like a four to three loss, Like I can probably live with that. Are they getting blown out at home by Fleeveland like they did in twenty twenty two when we were in a division race. Okay, then I'm probably out on this team. So it's gonna depend like how they play.
Speaker 3: I'm sure Chris gets is probably in there thinking the same thing, like how much am I willing to invest in this team? Like it's not gonna be a lot either way, but are you getting anything or are we moving on from guys? Like It's not a must win series by any stretch in my mind, but you're gonna learn a lot about this team over the next thirteen games when you got to play them six of them, Like, can you hang with the way they play? The style they play because they're hurt too, Like you can't blame injuries when they're best hitter or their top three hitters are gonna be out for at least part of this series, if not the full series, Like, you can't blame that.
Speaker 2: You're they're dealing with it too, So I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's not must win for me, but you're gonna learn a lot about this team. In my mind, the good news is they're starting at home and you can hopefully get a reset. The bad news is and you're still trying to figure out whither fifteen and twenty five on the road, Like that's a prop and they're going to need to figure that out fast, especially once you got to start going to Cleveland before those games, because you want to talk about the Cleveland Devil magic. That place is full of it. So we'll see how it goes. But yea, I think we're all kind of on the same page with not must win, But you're getting there if you want to, if you want this team to add at the deadline, you're getting close to that sort of magical mark, so we'll see what happens. Probably, in my opinion, the most important thing that's going to come out of this series with Cleveland is White Sox Charity's Day on Tuesday, June twenty third. For those of you that are watching either live or afterwards, here is the shirt as part of that competition. Your live model right here and my like I'm trying to make sure my low name doesn't cover it. We've got so for those who don't know kind of the story behind it. The White Sox designed shirts for from the one to eight locked on socks and us, and we'll be competing in that competition of who can sell the most shirts on Tuesday. Ours is obviously much more of an homage to the name of our our blog, just the thirty fifth and shield sign, things like that coolpin stripes in the background, and of course our logo. I do want to announce that we will be as part of it. We are allowed to pick a charity of our choice to if we sell the most T shirts, the White Sox will make and White Sox Chaeres will make a five thousand dollars donation to the charity of our choice. We have chosen the Pierce Foundation. It's it's a Southside Chicago based foundation that supports pediatric cancer and families going through our families with children facing childhood cancer. They have been in business for over twenty years now, doing a lot of great work. I was actually just at their charity golf outing over this weekend and got to talk with Peggy Pierce, who is their executive director, and we will have kind of a short interview piece coming out this week, so look out for that for more information on them. I have a saft spot for this foundation in general. I know the folks there very very well, and I've gotten to know them more. I help out with a lot of their marketing tools as well. They're great people. They do a lot of great work for kids who are experiencing cancer. They work very closely with with with what's called Camp One Step, who helps to put together a camp for kids who are experiencing cancer that they can just feel like a kid for a weekend or a week and I think it's a really really cool thing that everyone part that is a part of it does. You can find out more at the Peersfoundation dot org. We will have a lot more information in the next couple of days to come, but wanted to announce that wanted to model the shirt for everyone. I think it's a cool shirt just for White Sox fan in general to wear on a day to day basis with the street signs and everything. But again, that's Tuesday, the twenty third against the Guardians. It's a six forty game. I believe once the game starts, t shirt sales are opened throughout the course of the game. So you can go to the White Sox Charity's Day website and click to go through and purchase one of our shirts. They are twenty five dollars each. All proceeds go towards White Sox Charities. And then, excuse me, if we sell the most shirts among us from the one oh eight and Lockdown socks, five thousand dollars would go from White Sox Charities to the Peers Foundation. So we're very grateful to Peggy and everyone at the Peers Foundation for allowing us to support them in this way. I know they're very, very excited about this, and we're all really hoping it works out. So for those of you tuning in, like I said, we would really appreciate your support here and We're looking forward to the competition. No matter what, it's going to be a fun day at the ballpark for us.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, we're really looking forward to it. I agree with Jordan that, you know, that's such a great cause, and I really do, like I try to be objective as possible about it, but I really do think our T shirt is like the best looking one. Like, no disrespect to the other pages that are involved in this, of course, but I just like our T shirt with the most so I hope you all agree. But either way, it's all going to a good cause. If you want to buy any T shirt you want, ultimately we just would prefer it be ours. So yeah, I'm really looking forward to Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Jordan Nick already hit on it. But this is such a good cause, and I agree. I think our T shirts are freaking awesome. No disrespect to the one O eight guys and to Lockdown Socks, I think they did a great job as well. Ours are definitely better, but that's just me. But no, this is such a great opportunity to be working with the socks for such a good cause, So regardless of whose shirts you're buying, should be ours. But regardless of whose shirt you're buying, it's it's all for a great cause and just please please donate and help out where you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make sure to buy a shirt.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Like I said, everything goes towards White Snacks, Sherry's.
Speaker 3: But if you're gonna buy a shirt, might as well make it ours, right Like again, definitely thirty.
Speaker 2: Fifth and shield sign.
Speaker 3: You got our logo, says Socks on thirty fifth again to an average fan who might just ask you what it all is, like, Hey, Socks thirty fifth, the ones that play on the South. It's very easy to talk about. But we really appreciate any and all support that we get for this. But it goes towards a good cause and that's what's most important. But with that, I think that's everything for this episode, Episode to one seventeen of the Socks on thirty fifth podcast. Thanks to everyone who tuned in live on YouTube. Nick and Michael, Thank you to you both, and Michael once again, Happy Father's Day to you.
Speaker 2: So thank you again to everyone for listening.
Speaker 3: Be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, especially YouTube, wherever you get your podcasts. Socks at saxs on thirty fifth is social media handle for Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and sachs on thirty fifth dot com is the website. I also dropped in the chat the website for the Peers Foundation if you'd like to check out more before Tuesday. But once again, very very excited for all of that. So for Nick Owain, Michael Sparrow, this is joining zastly signing off, Take care of everyone, enjoy your week. We'll talk with you at Tuesday on the ball on Tuesday at the Ballpark if you're there, or next week when we have another podcast episode.
Speaker 2: So until then, thanks a is always for your support and go White Sox
Speaker 1: Ghost ups, Happy Father's Day and go Socks.