Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Girl. Welcome back to I Choose Me today. I am jumping back into my conversation with Maria Menuos. We're evolving, we are moving at lightning speed. I feel like, especially as you get older, you need to assess things kind of like on the spot and make the changes because we don't know what did you leave behind in your latest life audit.
Speaker 2: I left behind. I mean it's been a ten year process of leaving behind a lot, leaving behind expectations that everyone had for me, and just living what really made me happy, choosing me, ironically, choosing me every step of the way, not what was going to give my dad something a brag about, Like am I going to take that job? Because now my dad has something to go brag about and he's going to be so proud. I remember after brain surgery, I'd written him a letter and I said, listen, I am going to do things very differently if I come out of here. I'm not going to be just doing anything anymore. It's really going to be about what works for me, what makes me happy, what feels authentic to me. And that might mean you don't have things to like be proud of or boast about or anything like that. And it was amazing to see his shift. I didn't expect it, but now he asks me how I'm feeling, how I'm doing, It's not about my career.
Speaker 1: What are you working on lately?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I left behind the need to have the laundry list of things I'm working on. So people are like, hey, what are you up to? Literally, Jenny, for ten years, I'll be on red carpet and people are like, so, what are you up to. I'm like, I don't know a little bit of this, a little bit of that, And they're like, what much.
Speaker 1: They don't know what to say to that. No, a swarm they're so used to, like people promoting self promoting or promoting something that I think that's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was really fun, and you know, you have to get comfortable with it too, because I always had a laundry list because I thought that's how it was supposed to be. And I was like, wait a second, I'm not living me. I'm loving what everyone else is thinking is supposed to be and no, and so leaving that behind just a lot of the catastrophizing. I was really a great catastrophizer. Oh boy, I've really left that behind and I've had so much more peace. Yeah, I bet, and a lot of the things I would worry about never really happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We should not believe every stupid thought that our brain thinks, because it's just making up stories to try to comfort us or to give us some sort of certainy or clarity moving forward. How do you exist like that in the uncertainty.
Speaker 2: I lean on my faith heavily. I have a very firm, strong belief that God is guiding me and protecting me, and that even in the moments I think I'm left behind, I'm not. It's like, if I'm not going to follow the path I'm supposed to be on, I'm going to get those gentle or maybe not so gentle pushes into the right direction. And I just trust. Now. I know, And I also know that there are tools that I've learned on my podcast on Heel Squad, like choose wonder over worry. I wonder what it's going to be like when I get through this pancreas surgery and I'm okay, And I wonder what it's going to be like when the doctor calls her good news. I wonder what it's going to be like when this is all a distant memory and.
Speaker 1: Right, so changing changing that negative to a positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not living in fear. I'd rather live from sore and from faith and that there's possibility. I see so many people that are committed to their diagnosis and statistics and the outcomes that they're given. I'd rather live in possibility, possibility of miracles, possibilities that there are wrong, possibilities that this is this is going to be fine, That this is just a journey I'm supposed to go on, and it might suck for a while and it might be really painful, but there's some reason I'm being invited to another level. I've seen personally that I feel like I'm being invited to a closer relationship with God, and that that's kind of what I'm feeling is happening. But we'll see at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: We'll see. That's something I come back to all the time, because similar to you turning worry into wonder, you just kind of have to adopt that mentality of I don't know, we'll see, we'll see how this turns out. But certainly going into something in a positive mindset is feel like better than going into it with a worried you know, that fearful mindset. Do you think that these obstacles in your life, these health obstacles or situations that you've had to overcome thus far in your life no more? I'm sorry, but I'm gone.
Speaker 2: I hope so, I hope we're done.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that would be great.
Speaker 2: Yes we are. I say it all the time. I'm like, I can't have anything happen because my daughter gives me so much joy that there's nothing to come, because there's just too much joy.
Speaker 1: That's right. You have a little toddler now, and that is joyous. I will miss those toddler days. But do you think that these things that life has handed you are for a reason? You believe that, and you believe that you're supposed to find the reason.
Speaker 2: And then what I think that it's not even like, fine the reason, it's just allow room for there to be a reason and then it will come. Like I don't think we're supposed to push on much in life. I think we're supposed to allow and surrender a little bit more than we do. But I just watched the pattern. Now does it mean that when I got diagnosed with a neuro endercrint tumor on my pancreas, We're a couple months into a surrogacy pregnancy and finally, after ten years of infertility, about to have a baby, and now I might not make it. Steve Jobs died of what I had, the richest, most powerful man in the world. And so I remember being so shook that there was nothing in that moment other than just pure fear one hundred percent on your knees. And I remember as the next morning came, I remember looking at my mantle where I have all my church icons, and I was like, God, like, this doesn't make sense, Like how could you finally bless me with a baby and now you're going to take me? How this doesn't make sense? And then I was like, oh, maybe it doesn't make sense. Huh. And then the wonder versus worried thing came up in my head and then I started doing it, and I remember getting a call and I was like, oh, oh my god, it's working. You know, we also understand that the laws of attraction are real. We know that we're magnet, so if our core is a magnet, and we think like that whatever we're thinking. Whatever we're feeling, we're going to attract more of So what would we like We would like to think better thoughts, have better feelings. Doesn't mean you're going to be there instantly. Guys, you're going to be on your knees. It's going to be awful. It doesn't mean you're not going to teeter out. I had I remember vividly even the night before surgery, having a really powerful conversation with a friend because I was really getting scared and he helped align me again and I was like, Okay, I'm good. I'm good, but it's terrifying. So you need tools. You need your faith, and you need to just remember those and use them to help you make this journey a little bit easier. And when you do get to the other side, you have to know, you know, sometimes tools aren't going to work in every case. Obviously, there are some extreme situations obviously in life that I don't have a lot of words for other than what my mom taught me, and she said that we wouldn't have empathy in life if we didn't have those stories, and so that's what I do. But it definitely doesn't mean it's easy. But I think that you start to see patterns in your life like anything else, and you start to connect the dots and you start to realize, Okay, I'm being pushed in this direction for a reason. I see what's going on, and I'm just going to flow with it and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That takes the comfortability of being quiet, like getting quiet enough so you can actually hear yourself, and that is hard in this day and age, when there's just so much noise and there's so much chaos. How do you find your calm in your life.
Speaker 2: So ironically, one of the things that brings me the most calm is one of the things I've had to do for my health journey, which is never missing a sunrise. So if you learn, you know what my first event that we did at Canyon Ranch was about the foundations of health and sunrise and that sunlight that's carrying that beautiful red light, how important it is for your circadian biology and your health overall. So every morning for the last four years, I am up at sunrise, no matter what time I go to bed, and I am getting that morning light. Now, there are moments when it can't be out there as long as I would like, I can only be there for a few minutes. The benefits come if you're really there for like the first hour, hour and a half. That doesn't always happen.
Speaker 1: But Maria min no nos, I am doing this now. Yes, no, I've accepted this challenge that you didn't even challenge me with. You just told me what you did. And you just have to look and see what time is this. I'm coming up. That's when I'm gonna That's.
Speaker 2: When you get up. So I get up, set my alarm for two minutes before I get outside. Now, right now, it's beautiful, so I can let my skin see. Your photoreceptors on your skin are meant to take in that light. That's your immune system. That's information through your retinas that have UV receptors that takes in all that light and struct your body. And there are so many processes that need that light, just like a plant needs light for photosynthesis. I call it human synthasis, so human sense. I'm out there every day. But the magic, Jenny, is that I'm out there and you hear nothing but birds chirping. I am out there. I get my breakfast in, I get my coffee, I get im for me I get to do all my little lymphatic things, my acupressure points, my beauty shan and limb face stuff whatever, I'm doing it all.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, and having a toddler, how are you doing this?
Speaker 2: And she's asleep and I can do it while she's asleep. So that is the magic. When you think I need more hours in a day, start changing your life so you can get your son change. It's changing. So my health forced me to that place where now I have a slow morning and I get to start with me. I choose me. I love that title. I love it, and it's been beautiful.
Speaker 1: Oh that's very inspirational. Honestly, I'm going to try it. I've been getting up every morning. I try to get up every morning at a set time so that I can get my work in, workout in before my day starts. And it, honestly, just my day is so much better when I do that. Although I'm mourning, I'm grieving sleeping in like I love to sleep in with my dogs, like snuggle up with me. But that's just I have to I have to say that for special occasions, I think, yeah, how do you remember your mom? Every day?
Speaker 2: Well, I have her right here with me, always on my desk and the tiny yeah, she was used to call my shelf. I you know, I pray for her every night, and I tell her how much I love her every night, and I have her pictures everywhere. I have a picture of her and I. When I was a toddler, my dad came in and Athena's kind of my twin, and so he was so confused. I go, Dad, it's me, because he was a how is your mom in a picture with Athena? Because she had passed before Athena was born, and so anyhow, Yeah, I try to just keep her memory alive in these ways. And I'm going to build a memorial garden here with flowers because she loves flowers and little things like that.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. I struggled to keep my dad alive with my youngest daughter, who hadn't barely spent much time with him. Mmmm, so kind of similar. How do you? How do you keep Athena remembering someone she didn't even ever get to meet.
Speaker 2: So her pictures ever since she was a baby, so ever since she was a baby. It's important for me to like bring her up with faith and all of that. So she'd always kissed the icons, and then I'd like, okay, now this isn't an icon, but we are not venerating my mom, but this is yah Yah, and you're gonna give yah Ya kiss. Since she would kiss my mom. And then whenever we walked past her pictures like who's that, She's like yeah, yeah, And then I would teach her something that yeah you loved, like yeah you love flowers, or yeah you love this, or yeah you did that, and so yeah, she's very well aware of yah Yah in her life because I keep bringing her up to her.
Speaker 1: That's good, that's important. You're just a fountain of help. You help people, and it's very admirable. I was wondering, as we are all trying to sort of get back to ourselves, a question for our listeners who are struggling to choose themselves. Can you share one way that someone listening can have and I choose me moment for themselves.
Speaker 2: I think it's similar to what I shared with Alison, like find the thing that gives you joy. Find something that when you were a kid you loved, like did you love dancing, did you love art? Did you love you know, climbing trees? Like what did you love to do? Doesn't mean you have to do that for a job or every day, Like, just go do it once. Reconnect with that person. She's still inside of you. So I like, at my first event, I had everyone wear a picture of themselves when they were little. I'm like, remember she's still there, so nice to her and remember she has needs to so you know, maybe it's signing up for a class where obviously there will be community. Maybe it's signing up for an event that you're gonna go really choose yourself, give yourself like an overnight experience, and you know, give yourself that time. Like I feel like it's such an epidemic, Like women just feel like they're lasts on the tone pole and don't don't matter. And then it gets worse and worse, and then the wheels are falling off the wagon and we're having health issues. Well it's because we've denied ourselves for so long. And not only that is women now we're also having to be perfect at everything. We have to look great. We have to you know, go to the gym, do our hair and makeup and boatox and oh waitest this is and nuts and there's so much pressure on us, and so we never feel like we're good enough, we never feel like we have enough, we never feel like we're doing it right, and we lose ourselves in the process. And that might be one of the greatest health crises we have, is like loose using ourselves, I believe. So I feel like you have to find ways to re remember who you are, what makes you really joyful. Go start doing some of that, even if it's a hike, even if it's a silly light class or a pottery class or whatever. Like, just go online and find something and get to it. Go to a blueberry farm and go pick some blueberries and do something totally different than what you've done before. Just give yourself some time, yourself some time. Let me just remind everybody if they do want to choose them, I do have an event coming up October fourth through the seventh at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, Massachusetts, where you are choosing you. We're going to create your guide back to you so you will find yourself again.
Speaker 1: And that sounds good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some really incredible people I'm bringing in to help you, and I'm really really excited about it. So if you guys want to know more. You can go to the Instagram or both give you a length.
Speaker 1: Perfect prioritize your own needs before I let you go. Maria Menunos, what was your last I Choose me a moment?
Speaker 2: My last I Choose me moment I think was last night. I was having our rough night, a rough kind of afternoon. I didn't know what was bothering me. I was like not happy. I started blaming all these little things, like, you know, organization issues, whatever. And then I was like, you know what, I'm just going to get in bed, which is a big deal for me. And so I got into bed, I got a good cry out, and then I realized, oh, there's some emotional pile up work here. There's a lot of stuff I've just swept under the rug and swept under the rug. And so I have this little book that I keep that helps me get back into alignment. It's all my like mantras and my kind of perspectives and breakthroughs and all the things that I really connect with and want to live by. And so I got myself kind of back up with that. And then of course a little hair and makeup this morning doesn't hurt. I got up and I was like I'm going to do my hair and makeup a little bit more than normal. Definitely, not just because well because I think it's like, sometimes you need the costume to help you. If you feel you look tired and down, you're gonna feel more down. So it's like, how do we give it, give ourselves a little spruce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bring yourself together, represent who you want to be out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so then you feel good. We're like a sloppy outfit and you're like, oh, you feel softy. But if you like put yourself together now you feel good. That helps, Like you needs going to help you in.
Speaker 1: That, and that's so easy. That's like, that's something you just do in your closet or your bathroom. And it's a very big I choose me moment. That's so perfect. I love it so much. Maria, thank you so much for joining us today. I hope everybody takes away some amazing little tricks from you, because I certainly did.
Speaker 2: Thank you,