Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers report your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Statoveek along with Carol Masser. Let's take a look at some stocks that are on the move this week. We're joined by Bloomberg News Ecity's reporter Jordan Fitzgerald. Jordan, it's too late for me to say Happy New Year, but this was the first full trading week of the year. You had a lot to choose from.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I don't think it's too late yet. This first time I've seen you in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: I won't tell Larry David.
Speaker 4: Other than Matt. Yes, lots going on this week. It was a bit of a fear start to the year. Sand Disc shares gained the most this week, up thirty seven percent, closed to a record high as memory and storage names continue this searing tear that they've been on.
Speaker 1: This was amazing because they had such bed year last year, right, they were the number one gainer right in the S and P LA last year.
Speaker 3: You had these stocks up triple digits in twenty twenty five, and there was like a little bit of a breather this week, but then continuing to surge ahead investors like.
Speaker 4: These right, and investors you know, as we're investing in AI. It's a lot easier I think, to you know, build the stuff around it than it is to you know, put your mind five years ahead as to what is going to do that and to get there, we do need, you know, the hardware to build it. And so these these companies that are doing memory and storage chip equipment names also rose today, Companies like lab Research, kla Amatt like all of these these the physical components of AI are really outperforming. And the market you know, did take that pause this week and then they realized, no, we're still into AI, so on a tear.
Speaker 1: Pretty remarkable, that is. I mean you could just, man, if you were all in on sand disk, you could is like sell now and like say, I've.
Speaker 4: Had a really good year and you know what saying to do that. I feel like we were talking about it now. It's every single week it's sand disk, SanDisk, sand disk. Someone definitely has become generationally wealthy off of yees.
Speaker 3: Up sixty percent this year so far and last January. Yeah, I know, it's crazy. And he didn't even start trading last year till what February, I think, and it was up, you know, triple digits last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot. It didn't start trading until some point last year.
Speaker 3: I'm going to look at the chart, Carol, and I'm going to tell you guys exactly when it started trading. It was February thirteenth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty lucky thirteen. All right, let's go to Intel. It has not been always so lucky for them, although popping up in the White House can help.
Speaker 4: Yes, As we have been reminded this week, a tweet from Donald Trump can do a lot to the stock market. So Trump posting on truth Social today praising Intel CEO Lip Bhutan. They met yesterday, and Trump really thinks that he's done a great job getting Intel to perform both you know, in the market and just on its actual technological product products.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, and I said this earlier. It's all well and good to be you know, the CEO of a company that the US owns a close to ten percent stake in when it's doing well, and like the truth Social posts go out and the President's very happy about it. But what happens if the company doesn't do well? What are the calls that Lipbutan receives or the social media posts that Liputan received. You're obsessed with this, I am, because this is such a new world that we live in. We're like because the President even touted the US's ownership and talked about like the return to investors and like this was a great deal for you Americans. This is not the typical like free market capitalism world that we thought we lived in.
Speaker 4: No, it's not. But also so I don't think people are complaining if they can make money until up sixteen percent this week. If you're hold Intel, you don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: I love when you're the a stockpayer, you're a holder of Intel.
Speaker 1: You still go to the HDS page and you know, you see the US of the United States of America as the third largest shareholder of shares of Intel. So it's it's pretty wild.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Let's go to a name that isn't something that I talk about a lot I feel like or say often yes, not not a household name.
Speaker 4: Source a houseware name, but not a household name, A bit of a honey one. This also you know example of stocks moving on what the President says. Builders for Source makes home building equipment. They're up nineteen percent this week. That's the best week for that stock since twenty twenty three, and rose along with the entire homebuilders ecosystem today after Trump said that he wants Fanny and Freddy to purchase two hundred billion dollars in mortgage bonds in an effort to lower housing prices. And of course, if housing prices are lower, people are buying more houses, people are renovating more houses, people are furnishing more houses, and it just us all of these ripple effects.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.