Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: In this Thursday, Dan and the Dan That's Dan Patrick Show, come on in stay awhile, talk some football last hour, talk some baseball this hour. David Cohne, five time World Series champ, and he's an analyst for the Yankees. After the no hitter last night by the Yankees Domingo Herman, a perfect game against the Oakland A's whole question for the final hour is going to be what seat O'Connor. By the way, we got a source telling us that Victor Wan Bayama's official height without shoes on is seven foot three and a half. Don't know if you were waiting for that, but I would round up. I'd round up to seven to four. I'm more interested in how much he weighs, not how tall he is. All right, Seaton, Final Hour?
Speaker 1: What do we have?
Speaker 3: Well, we've got still from the first hour. Perfect game is more skill or luck?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 4: It's sixty four percent saying luck?
Speaker 1: Okay, which is really interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, I asked David Cohne, because he threw a perfect game, how much is luck and how much is skill?
Speaker 3: It feels like it's exactly backwards. It's got to be at least seventy percent skill and it's some luck.
Speaker 2: I would say, it's well, you know what, I'm not going to give my number yet. I'm going to bring in David Cone ask him since he threw a perfect game. David, thanks for joining us. If we were going to go the percentage of skill and luck and throw throwing a perfect game, what would you say that percentage would be?
Speaker 5: Well, it's an interesting point because not every pitch thrown in a perfect game is a perfect pitch. So when you do make a mistake, the hitters have to cooperate right and miss it or pop it up, and certainly there were a few of those last night for Domingo Herman. But I will say this, there's much more stress in a perfect game. Every time you get to three ball count, you know you can blow it with a walk, whereas you know if you walk somebody in a no hitter, you still have the no hitter. So we've seen no hitters thrown with four, five, six, seven, eight walks sometimes, but that's different in a perfect game, much more pressure, so, I would say, and the skills more important in a perfect game because of the pressure than a no hitter where you have margin for air if you walk a guy.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering more pressure is felt by the picture in a perfect game or his teammates in a perfect game.
Speaker 5: That's a great question, Dan. I know. I watched David Wells throw his perfect game the year before mine. We went back to back years, nineteen ninety eight, nineteen ninety nine, and I was a wreck watching his perfect game at the dugout. I mean, I was just a nervous wreck. When you're actually participating, when you're the picture in a perfect game, you are just desperate to maintain your focus. Nobody wants to talk to you. Your anxiety ridden when you're the picture in that game. So maintaining your emotions is a full time job. Whereas actually watching it you allow all those negative thoughts to creep into your mind. You know, what if he blows it, what if something happens? You know, you have more time to think if you're actually watching.
Speaker 2: It as a picture. When you take the mound? Is your goal to throw a perfect game every time you take the mount? I mean to have that mindset when you go out there.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I think your goal is to win every pitch Your goal is to not walk anybody. Your goal is to consistently get ahead in the count to maintain count leverage. So yeah, in that sense, I guess you know, you certainly want to win every bat. You want to get everybody out that you can, and then when you do give up hits, you you know, you kind of brush it off because that's to be expected. But yeah, your mentality is sort of going in strike one, I'm going to get this guy out. I'm going to get ahead of him and then get him out and stay on top of stay on top of the hitters all day long.
Speaker 2: What do you remember about your perfect game? It came against the Montreal Expos. Who was in the lineup that day that you worried about.
Speaker 5: Well, Vladimir Guerrero was in that lineup. A Hall of Famer Jose Vidro, a really good player and All Star second baseman, was in that lineup.
Speaker 1: So those guys, those.
Speaker 5: Two really worried me more than anything. And Vladimir Guerrero presented an interesting problem because he could hit everything. He was the best bad ball hitter since Yogi Berra you know, Yoga get hit everything over his head, you know, almost one hop it we saw Vladimir Garrera, I'll get a hit when the ball actually bounced one time. So no matter what, you know, which pitch I threw. He was the guy I worried about because he could hit anything.
Speaker 1: Did you use stick him stuff or sticky stuff back then? Not a lot.
Speaker 5: Really. Occasionally, on a cool night, I would grab the rosin bag that was in the batter's box circle because it had a little pine tar on it. So yeah, I mean, I guess you could say, yeah, I did at times use a little bit of pine tar with rosin mixed on a cold night, but we didn't realize how much it could help your spin rate. We didn't know anything about spin rates back then, or if we did, we didn't know how to measure them. So certainly I was worried about blisters too. If you use too much stick them, is that going to rip the pads off my fingers? I was more worried about, you know, worried about messing up my fingertips and getting blisters than anything else with sticky stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering why baseball doesn't come out with their own products that these are the only products you can use, and that's it. This is going to be approved by hitters, this will be approved by pitchers, and anything after that going to face a really long suspension.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think Major League Baseball feels like they kind of have done that with just the Rosin bags that are on the mound itself, and that's what they're policing this year. You can't have your own Rosin bag in your locker. You can only use the one on the mound. You can't weaponize the Rosin if it gets too sticky, We're going to bang you for that too. The problem with Major League Baseball is they're obsessed with strikeout rates. The strikeout rates are so high in the game today that if they present a new product or a sticky baseball like the one they have in Japan, a pre treated baseball, that the pitchers are going to take advantage of that and increase the strikeout rates. So I think that's why Major League Baseball was reluctant to do exactly what you said, Dan and sort of come up with a universal product that works. They're worried about pitchers weaponizing whatever they introduce into the game and increasing the strikeout rates.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering about that because there's no shame in striking out anymore. You know, it's not a big deal.
Speaker 1: It used to be.
Speaker 2: It was like, you know, hitters would hang their heads as they walk back to the dugout.
Speaker 1: When did it change that.
Speaker 2: It's not an embarrassment to strike out one hundred and fifty times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's sort of a perfect storm of things, you know. I think the underrated facet is the strike zone itself. Back in the nineties and eighties, it was more of an east and west strike zone, and if you threw a pitch right down the middle and the catcher caught it at his mask, that was an automatic ball, much less high curve balls that were up that way that are called strikes nowadays. So it's more of a north and south strike zone. We don't get those pitches off the edges like we used to. I mean, Greg Maddox and John Smoltz and Tom Glavin and myself, we all lived off the edge of high high off the outside corner, that was where the margin was. We got pitches called off the plate strikes, but we never got the high strike called. So that's the difference. The power pitchers are throwing harder than ever before. The strike zone is higher than it's ever been before. Really, you have to go back to Jim Palmer, back with the outside chess protectors, remember the bubble chess protectors, lee wire, those old umpires. That was a higher strike zone. Back then, in the sixties and seventies, the pitchers didn't throw as hard as they do nowadays. So every reliever throws ninety five miles an hour, plus a lot of them one hundred miles an hour. That coupled with a high strike zone, has led to a higher strikeout rate along with hitters trying to drive the ball. The power is premium power. Hitting power pitching equals more strikeouts.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to David Cohne, the Yes Yankee analyst joining us on the program. You were a Yankee, you were a Met, if you were a Met fan, can you can you say let's be patient?
Speaker 1: If you know?
Speaker 2: Steve Cohen said, Hey, I'm not going to act like you want me to. I'm not firing anybody. We're not doing anything crazy here. How do you preach patients with a team that's got a payroll as large as the Mets?
Speaker 8: Really hard to do right now.
Speaker 5: They're you know, the Atlanta Braves are a juggernaut running away with the East. You're eight and a half games out of the final wildcard spot if you're the Mets right now. So if you're looking at the very final wildcard spot, like the Philadelphia Phillies did last year and rode all the way to the World Series. They won eighty six games and still got to the World Series, that's a long shot for the Mets right now. They have, according to betting nods or predictive odds, that are out there, like less than a five percent chance right now just to make the playoffs. So that is in and of itself daunting. They really need to look at this trade deadline as sort of reconfiguring their roster, in my opinion, sort of what pieces don't fit together, what pieces are kind of aging. They have some pretty good young players that have come up and helped, whether it's Brett Beady at third base or Alvarez at the catching position. They have a couple of others that are on the way as well. That's the future for them. They sort of need to reconfigure their roster. They probably need to look for trade partners. I wouldn't be surprised to see even the Yankees and the Mets hook up in this trade deadline because Billy Eppler used to work for Brian Cashman. Steve Cohen, the owner of the Mets, doesn't care where the trades come from. He doesn't have this sort of mentality, this anti Yankee mentality. He's a businessman. So the days of the zoning the Mets and not trading with the Yankees are kind of over in my mind. So there could be a match there. If the Yankees need an outfielder, do they match up with somebody like a Starley Marte or something like that. You know, I think those are the type of the deals, the type of deals the Mets need to look for at this trade line.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if fifteen years from now we look back on show Hey Otani and what he kind of birthed, that you will have these two way players that you know, in high school, your shortstop is your pitcher and usually batting third in the lineup there.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you were.
Speaker 2: Like that, but it feels like these guys grow up being hitters and being pitchers. Are we going to have not a wave, but at least a few of these two way players in Major League baseball.
Speaker 5: It's a great question, Dan, I think yes. I think sho heey Otani is inspirational in that regard. He's a trailblazer. He's showing the way. And there's certainly we saw kids in the College World Series this year there are two way players that are throwing the ball in the upper nineties, you know, the left hand for Florida that started that final game as one of those kids as well. So yes, my answer is, yes, we're going to see kids that try to do it, organizations that will bring them along in the minor leagues and kind of experiment with it and allow them to explore whether they can handle both or not. But why not you know, show hey Otani's the MVP because he plays such an important role on their team on both sides of the ball. So why wouldn't you want that? Why wouldn't you want that double value if you can develop that neuron system.
Speaker 1: Should he get two salaries? Interesting?
Speaker 5: Well, you know what he should get is probably equity in the team that signs him. You know, at this point, I mean, if you're trying to sign show Hey Otani and you're you're the Anaheim Angels, you know, how do you entice him.
Speaker 2: Well, what would you do with the trade deadline if if they haven't agreed to anything contract extension. Not much has been made public here, but at some point the Angels have to have something in return if show Hey doesn't want to stay.
Speaker 5: Yes, I believe that they need him to stay so badly that they need to hold onto him and hope they get into the playoffs and hope he becomes a postseason hero for them at least get them in a position to win a wild card spot in the West, which they currently are very much in the running for. So yes, you let that play out, because your best chance to sign show Hey Otani back is a long and deep postseason run with him in my trout, that kind of shows him, Hey, you should stay right here. We're on the right we're on the right move here, we're moving in the right direction. So you know, with that being said, there might be a blockbuster trade out there, Dan, You're right, I mean you have to listen. You have to listen. If there's a blockbuster trade where you can really get an incredible value back, then you have to consider it. But I still believe they want to keep him, and the best way to keep him is to get the postseason and show him what it's like to have postseason ball at the.
Speaker 1: Big A great to talk to you as always, David, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 5: My pleasure Dan.
Speaker 1: Anytime it's David Cohne.
Speaker 2: Five time Worlds. There's Champion. He's an analyst for the Yankees, Yes Network. He threw his perfect game at Yankee Stadium against the Exposing back in nineteen ninety nine. Ellen in Wisconsin leads us off this hour. Good morning, Ellen, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: I just wanted to say what a great topic. Baseball gets a bad rind, you know, but the mental toughness and concentration that it requires is often overlooked. I'm a bigger sports fan than my husband. I raised my kids telling him. Everything you need to learn about life, you learn in baseball. Sometimes you have to sacrifice for the team. You know, the shortstop might hate the second basement, but they still have to work together to turn a double play. And even when greatness happens, you know, when a pitcher throws a no hitter, he turns around and banks his fielders. So that's all I got.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you Ellen, Thank you Ellen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you earn life through Baseball Jeremy in Indianapolish Jeremy.
Speaker 7: Hey, damn, how's it going great? Awesome? Hey, I just was listening to the podcast from me yesterday's so and you guys were talking about show Hey Athani, and with the trade deadline coming up, I was just kind of thinking, would it incentivize the Angels to try to convince him to just focus on hitting. I mean, I would think he could make a run at seventy three at Barry Bonds and that would be well worth paying him, you know, the six hundred million dollar contract.
Speaker 2: Well, he's focused on hitting and he's focused on pitching. And if I'm the Angels, I want show Hey to do what he wants to do. It's not like he's missing batting practice. Therefore he's not putting in the time when he goes to the plate, and judging from those home runs, he's done pretty well. I wouldn't mess with anything here.
Speaker 1: I went back.
Speaker 2: I go back to what I said yesterday. You know, we have this species known as pitchers, and we treat them differently than any other athlete and any other sports.
Speaker 1: Like, oh my god, did you get your your long toss in today? Did you get your stretching.
Speaker 2: In today, and when you think about it, sho, Hey, Utani is showing that, hey, I can still do this. You know, I can have a regular day. His day job is a hitter. His weekend job is a pitcher. So one one day out of the week, I got to concentrate on pitching. The other days, I just I'm a baseball player. You know, you go through the routine. You know it's going to be infield practice, there's going to be batting practice. They'll be stretching, running, you know all those things. But for the most part, you should be able to do both. If you're really good at a high level, you're a great pitcher and a great hitter, then why do you have to choose?
Speaker 1: If you're able to do it.
Speaker 2: Plus, he could be changing the dynamic of the sport, because trust me, most of your great pitchers are also shortstops growing up and batting third in the lineup.
Speaker 1: They grew up being a hitter. Nobody grows up to say, hey, I just want to pitch. I don't want to hit.
Speaker 2: You grow up you want to hit, and you're gonna have the best arm. You're the shortstop and you're going to be the pitcher. Shohyutani is proving that you can do both and do both at a very high level. How many players can do that? I think in fifteen years from now, we'll look back on this moment and we'll say, wow, look at the number of players. You might have a second baseman who's a middle relief pitcher or capable of doing that. Bring him in for an inning maybe. And pitchers are only going five innings for the most part. That's a quality start. You're not asking them to go nine, go five, maybe go six.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, he won six. How many pitches? You could still be a hit hitter, every day hitter, and you could be a pitcher.
Speaker 2: And what it does, you know, the excitement that it brings when you go out, always going to pitch and hit.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break, get some more phone calls coming up back after this. Sleep Number. Every great day starts the night before, sure does thank you, Todd, trouble falling asleep, and maybe you sleep two hot or too cold. Your partner's stores, like Seatan's wife, they have thought of everything at Sleep Number. These smart beds they learn how you sleep, and then you get to learn how to sleep better and you feel more alert. Sleep Number smart beds individualize your sleep experience the adjustable firmness on each side, so it's two beds in one. How about that the ideal comfort support and they will be able to help you understand how do I get a deeper night sleep. You'll be able to see how well you slept, get personalized insights for even better sleep. Sleep bi Q technology Sleep Number setting is seventy five. It's sleep next level. Unlock your unique potential with a smart bed that can perform as well as you. The Sleep Number three sixty Queen see two smartbed now only eight hundred ninety nine dollars. You're going to save two hundred dollars plus special financing for a limited time only at sleep number stores at sleep number dot com slash Patrick.
Speaker 1: C store for details.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock appre Mare going to have the actor Adam Divine on the program tomorrow he's in the Gemstones, isn't he sure is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd, and uh I believe Will Ferrell was calling in to let us know if he's going to join.
Speaker 1: Us in Dublin.
Speaker 3: That's a very funny show right there. Yes, yes, it is very funny guys, Yes, Adam.
Speaker 2: Divine it has a funny face. Or I'm trying to figure out how to phrase this, like he's not funny looking, but when you see him you laugh, like he just he's a scene stealer. Yes, So can you say, is it a compliment to say you got a funny face?
Speaker 1: Hmm, yes, Tod.
Speaker 8: I think a better way to pose it is, you know, when you look at you like you're anticipating something funny, it's gonna come out of his mouth. You're like ready to lay h But that.
Speaker 1: That doesn't like just slip off the tongue here. I'm trying to but it's better.
Speaker 8: Than someone saying that what is saying I got a funny face? I'm funny looking? What does that mean? Even even if you have to elaborate a few extra.
Speaker 1: Words, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's it's quicker if you say, you know, is it a compliment? If I say you got a funny face. I say, no, okay, well you got a funny face.
Speaker 9: A Paul Adam Devine's like a scene stealer, you know, like he was in Workaholics, that TV show Forever. Yeah, he's also in Pitch Perfect. He was like that really funny guy who stole all the.
Speaker 1: Scenes they came on the screen.
Speaker 10: Maybe he's kind of got a little Jack Black to him. Oh he gets on this.
Speaker 9: You don't know what's going to happen, but he's like a kind of a home run hitter.
Speaker 1: He's going to join us on the program tomorrow.
Speaker 2: By the way, Todd, we didn't get to your poll questions if you would like to, and this wasn't on purpose. I just I'm getting around to it now that you had some suggestions earlier this morning.
Speaker 8: Throwing a perfect game is truly an amazing athletic achievement. Impressive, but surely some luck involved. Now, isn't that big a deal? Twenty three other guys already did it, and it was against Oakland.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 8: A seventeen year old's biggest concern should be finding a balance between academic goals and social acceptance, getting rid of his or her acne, finding a boy or girlfriend, becoming more independent and responsible, leading the Chicago Blackwawks to the Stanley Cup.
Speaker 1: So this is off of Connor Bedard going number one overall.
Speaker 8: Oh, it should be a seventeen year old's biggest concern?
Speaker 1: Is there anything else? Todd? How are you spending.
Speaker 8: NBA Free agency Eve? This is excited hosting a party at my home, making fancy dinner reservations, partying in the middle of Times Square, a quiet evening, occasionally pondering which players may be going to a new team.
Speaker 1: Do you believe anybody is doing one of the first three that.
Speaker 8: You just believe it's just to be silly.
Speaker 10: It's the eve.
Speaker 8: We get so excited about eves of things.
Speaker 1: No, we don't. I do that. I guess, well, then what are you going to do?
Speaker 8: I'm gonna do the latter. I'm gonna spend a quiet evening, maybe a order up.
Speaker 1: You just told me you get excited.
Speaker 8: I get excited, but not so much for the NBA free agency Maybe NBA.
Speaker 1: You're struggling here, You're struggling.
Speaker 8: I'm not going to stay in the middle of Time Square. There's no ball going down or anything like that.
Speaker 1: That was the silly great great.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for your recap of NBA free agency the start. How do you say to James Harden you don't want him back if you're the Philadelphia seventy six ers, or you're like, oh you're opting out?
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah.
Speaker 3: See when are the Sixers ever going to find a player that they do want to keep other than Joel Embied Because other that they're running through they are just dozens of dudes who are like, yeah, no, this is the guy. Now, look you got a pair and go. They everybody that comes in is then sent right out.
Speaker 1: Yep. Feels like there's a big turnover.
Speaker 2: They got a new head coach and maybe maybe that's enough for James Harden. You know, Nick Nurse ask you to play defense. I don't like regular season James Harden was wonderful last year. It was postseason James that gets you in trouble.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Paul, do you think the seventy six Ers, if they sign or I know they're considering signing him, whether the opsent or ops out, I think concerned about losing him for nothing and the public perception as opposed to being more concerned of.
Speaker 1: Having Well, do you want to keep him or lose him.
Speaker 9: I would prefer to not have him on my team. At forty million dollars per year. However many years, whether it's one, two or three years. Why would you want to spend one hundred million dollars on a person where you're not sure he's helping you win or helping you lose.
Speaker 10: I think that's fair.
Speaker 2: Well, as he gets older, he can't be what he once was. You know, there's certain players that you know, the Joker is not going to slow down because he was never sped up to slow down. Luca is not slowing down. Kawhi only the injuries, but is the pace of you know, his play, It's not like he's slowing down. With James Harden, you know, it was predicated on some things, having that quick step, you know, getting some separation there. But twenty one to ten, I mean I'd embrace James Harden. Do I want to pay him forty or fifty million dollars?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But you know that's the going rate. That's the problem. We're like, can you believe they're paying such and such thirty million? Yeah, there's only thirteen guys to pay, and somebody else is making a whole lot of money. If you're paying them that much money, I'm guessing the owners who are doing quite well.
Speaker 1: Therefore, when we look at this, you.
Speaker 2: Go, can you believe that this guy makes more in one, you know, one year than Magic made his entire career. Yes, you know, it's the economics of the game. But James Harden, you know, Dame Lillard, I mean, I feel bad if Dame Lillard stays in Portland. What's gonna happen at ESPN, Like people are are going to be panicking, like, oh my god, Now what do we talk about? Every time I'm watching it's like, uh, Dame time, you know, let's talk about Dame Lillard. I'm like, Okay, I think we can all agree both parties should separate, that Dame should go someplace else if he wants to win, that's important to him and he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild. And if you're Portland, you owe it to your fans to maybe get this right. As you look at the future and is the future now or is it in three years from now?
Speaker 1: Are you going to want to.
Speaker 2: Pay Dame Lillard sixty million dollars when he's thirty six thirty seven years of age and the answer is no. But that's where you have to look at this and say, at what point do we just say what is the best decison? And it feels like this is the conscious uncoupling that Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin had years ago. It's just like, you know, no, we're good. We're going to go our separate ways and no animosity. Everything's good, no irreconcilable differences. We just decided that this was best for both of us. Now, I keep thinking that Tyler Hero is the guy that maybe if you're Portland, you take him.
Speaker 1: You get some other pieces here.
Speaker 2: They don't want to give up Bam out of Bio in Miami because Dame wants to play with Bam out of Bio if he would happen to leave. But that still seems like that's a hot top. Kyrie Irving. Kyrie Irving is going to take meetings reportedly for free agency, and I'm thinking, isn't a meeting if you're the only person in the meeting? If he sets up a zoom call and all of a sudden, you know they'll be like, because I've done these interviews where you go, okay, next you're going to be talking to WBZ in Boston. Next up you'll be talking to this place in Phoenix, and you do a radio tour, TV tour. Who's next, Kyrie? Nobody's on right now, but you know we have time because who else is going to go? Let's take a free agency meeting with Kyrie Irving here. Mark Cuban is on the call. Oh okay, Hi Mark. Yeah, we'd like you to stay because we gave up an awful lot and we'd really look embarrassed if we lost you as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Paul, going back to Portland, do you think Portland, if they were going to trade them, would have done it before the draft, so you know what options you have.
Speaker 2: I think they were waiting until after the draft. But once again there's varying reports on this. I thought they were going to do. If they did it, Zion and Dame would be traded before then these teams that would, but they wanted to see what you were going to do with that pick, Like is Scoot Henderson going to be there at three? So now we're trading for Scoot head Henderson. We get Scoot Henderson, or you you have Scoot Henderson.
Speaker 1: We got Dame.
Speaker 2: You know, I thought that that might be the logic here, that you knew the player who Portland was going to take, or that Charlotte was going to take, or whoever it might be.
Speaker 1: But Zion do I still think he could be traded?
Speaker 2: I do, but I just don't think there's a great market for him because he hasn't been healthy. And then if he starts to play, well, do you then trade him or you to go no?
Speaker 1: Actually playing? Well? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why why is it so difficult to get somebody to go play in Portland?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't think I don't think it is. They's just a young team.
Speaker 1: Now. Who were you saying would not want to go play in Portland?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, then maybe the better way to say it is, why is it so difficult to find some people to put around Dame?
Speaker 2: Well, they have a young roster. They're trying to get some veterans in there, at least one.
Speaker 1: I think that's what. That's what they were trying to make a trade where they got Bam out of Bio.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, but see again though, like that, they're trying to find a veteran but they just can't.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard? I don't know what.
Speaker 2: They're Well, if I'm Miami, I'm not trading Bam out of Bio to Portland unless so you get Scoot Henderson and we give up BAM out of Bio. If I'm Miami's already small, I don't want to give up BAM out of Bio. So I think it might be what do you want? You know what, You're trying to get trade partners and you're trying to equal this up a little bit, and maybe that's the problem. But let me see, Oh, Fritzy sent this to me, Nick Wright, our good buddy, as a theory on how the Cabs could land both lebron and Bronnie James.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see.
Speaker 2: Nick Wright has a theory. It starts with the Cabs drafted Evan Mobley twenty twenty one, and they drafted him out of USC, same university that Bronny is going to. And here is nick Wright's hypothesis. Evan Mobley plays for the Caves. Evan Mobley's father, Eric, is an assistant at USC. The Cabs traded away all their future first round picks except their twenty twenty four first round pick, which would be the year that Bronnie could come out of school, and that's if he was a one and done. Nick Wright then went on to say that the Caves are in need of a small forward and Lebron would be a perfect fit. Okay, so what else do you have beside a connection with Evan Mobley and his dad USC. Would Bronnie be available for the Cabs? Will Cleveland still have that pick? Can you afford to have Darius Garland, Donovan Mitchell, Evan Mobley, Jared Allen and Lebron James? I think I need a little.
Speaker 1: More from that.
Speaker 2: Just because of Evan Mobley and his dad at USC, that Lebron would want to go back to Cleveland and bring Bronnie with him. I mean, okay, am I missing something there?
Speaker 1: I mean how many times can you go back?
Speaker 2: I don't think this is happening. Look, it's good filler and you know, God love Nick. He's you know, trying to come up with content for his show there on Fox Sports, and maybe it was a little bit of a stretch there. But the reason why Lebron and Bronnie would go back is because Evan Mobley and his dad is at USC. Okay, seems a little far fetched. I think it's more likely that Bronni ends up in Orlando than you know, Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Yes, Bo, did we do.
Speaker 9: A thing the other day who has more national TV games this upcoming season?
Speaker 10: The Nuggets or the USC men's basketball team.
Speaker 1: We did not ask that question. No, we did the Nuggets and.
Speaker 4: Oh man, we did somebody else though, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh no, Spurs, oh nugget Spurs.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I said the Spurs might have more nashally televised game.
Speaker 9: It's weird because college basketball, I believe or not ESPN and Fox, but especially ESPN, they have total control over who's on the league has control more so in the partners. So like when Zion Wiyson was a fresh mysell my notes from it. He played thirty five games for Duke, thirty one of them were on national TV, basic cable that you could get. And then when he in the next year, he had eleven games when he is riki year or on national TV. Yeah, they just couldn't get that many games. I bet you can get more attention, not attention, but playing college at USC more a national TV games.
Speaker 2: Well, we're more curious about Brownie than we are Joker. We can appreciate Joker. That doesn't mean we want to watch the Joker play. And thankfully, you know, the basketball world got to see Joker play at a very high level and he won a championship here, and nobody is going to ask that question ever again. Oh, I'm gonna win a chant Now it's Joe ellmbiid, Hey won the MVP. These are the same things they said about Joker. Yeah, no postseason success, same things they said about Yell.
Speaker 1: Honest. Now it's on Joel MBI. You're the MVP. Let's go, let's produce, and rightfully, so that's what happens.
Speaker 2: That's the pecking order and the fact that you know, Joker two MVPs should have won a third and then he wins his title. You're not gonna question nobody's gonna question you honest again about that.
Speaker 1: Luca. Luca had won the MVP yet, but if he does.
Speaker 2: Then it's gonna be. Hey, you're gonna win a championship anytime soon?
Speaker 11: Yeah, Mark, I can't wait to see how the Lakers and the USC schedule kind of stacks up against one another, like, oh, they're playing you know us, he's playing Duke. Oh, the Lakers are playing in Charlotte. Same who knew the night before or something like that.
Speaker 1: Oh you think that they're gonna match up that way?
Speaker 10: Oh you want to program something?
Speaker 9: Have USC play blank at the crypt wherever it's gonna be called next year as a lead up to a Laker game a special addition, back to back national team.
Speaker 10: If you're gonna embrace it all in.
Speaker 2: I don't think ESPN could handle that. Our heads would explode. What time does the pregame start?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 1: Now two hours like today?
Speaker 8: Doublebron.
Speaker 10: You get the high school kid? What is the little kid? Bryce?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Is it Bryce? Show his JV game or whatever?
Speaker 1: He'll be high school? Okay, he'll be high school.
Speaker 11: He went to a new school. He left the Eric Canyon. Oh yeah, it's all over the internet there it is what the young kids said.
Speaker 1: Where did he go? No idea? Is it closer to USC from under? Yeah? Okay, Campbell Hall? How about a triple header? There?
Speaker 2: There you go, Brice bron Lebron James Gang Night, Oh okay.
Speaker 1: Blue Bryce Maximus James the third.
Speaker 10: Does he have a daughter playing softball or something?
Speaker 1: He has a daughter?
Speaker 10: Get her in there too.
Speaker 1: He might have two daughters. He got one one daughter? Okay? Three?
Speaker 8: King's Night why do we We gotta come up with a little phrase.
Speaker 2: From Okay, I think that'd be good TV.
Speaker 11: You can't wait for this? Why so much Lebron? Oh thought it was a lot? Then here's a second Lebron coming we've.
Speaker 1: Got at times four.
Speaker 2: Now, Yes, get ready, Let's let's take a break last golf for phone calls. What we learn once in store tomorrow and we'll try to accomplish all of that next. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 1: Polly Foosco here with Tony Fosco. Yo.
Speaker 12: Of course you know us as the host of the number one rated show and all the sports docs, the Polly and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 5: Yea.
Speaker 12: Now, the suits at Fox Sports Radio gave us this ad time because they wanted us to tell you how.
Speaker 1: Great our show is. Why yeah.
Speaker 12: Instead of us doing that, let's just let our millions of fans do the darker Yeah, play the tape.
Speaker 8: You don't know crap about four own this crap.
Speaker 1: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 12: That's the wrong tape, wrong tape, Just forget that. Look us into the Paully Tony Pusco Show on the iHeart Radio app Apple Podcast herever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: This day in sports History coming up? What we learned?
Speaker 2: What's in store tomorrow? What kind of music are you going to play tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Marvin?
Speaker 11: I think we decided what nineties?
Speaker 1: Okay, I think all.
Speaker 2: I was supposed to pick out my favorite song from the nineties, so that the song that's the most nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I go with that night.
Speaker 2: Is that good or bad? And do you guys have your song already picked out? See, and you have your song for tomorrow picked out?
Speaker 4: No, I can't say that, okay, Todd.
Speaker 8: I am still looking around as well.
Speaker 3: Might be oh that you won't isn't Is that from the nineties or as a.
Speaker 1: Kind of going with our Barbie theme.
Speaker 3: I feel like that feels like something that could be in the Barbie movie soundtrack.
Speaker 1: Paulie, do you have your nineties song?
Speaker 9: Well, we already gave a rousing tribute to Limbiscuit a few weeks ago on the show A still being I don't want to be redundant do that again.
Speaker 10: But they are very nineties rousing tribute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and resonated. It resonated in the nineties community. Yes, time think I may.
Speaker 8: Have to go juicy, the notorious big that fell into nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to save it tomorrow.
Speaker 11: Then you're supposed to guess, like whose pick it was?
Speaker 10: Is Creed nineties or early two thousands?
Speaker 1: There forever they are timeless.
Speaker 9: Apologies to say that, I apologize, they are forever My apology.
Speaker 10: Ace of Base Hanson, those three kids, I feel.
Speaker 3: I feel like Creed was a mid to late nineties post grunge movement.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean black Hole Sun maybe.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's so Soundgarden, Sound Garden, Chris Cornell, yep, man, that's that's one of the great voices in rock history. Chris Cornell. That's good voice. Yeah, that's a good voice.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 10: You know that band from the nineties, Bush with Kevin Rossdale. They considered pretty good. They had some hits, right, was he too good looking to like?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I think he cheated on when Stefani. Therefore that kind of heard him. Yeah, you know, it's like now what are you doing? I think they had one alum one good album. Does that sound right? I remember having the CD boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had the one that had a bunch that had like glycerine and everything's in it had like a bunch of probably.
Speaker 1: Their bigger songs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well sixteen stone I think it's called Okay.
Speaker 1: So they got to come up with a ninety song. Yeah, send him to me tonight.
Speaker 9: Creed formed in ninety five in Tallahassee, Florida, and then they really hit their stride beers later.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How old is Scott Stapp's son whose name is was Jagger? I remember he was in a carriage, a baby carriage. We were playing golf at an event and I was I was in his group, and I remember his wife and they had a son.
Speaker 1: His name was Jagger.
Speaker 10: Jagger's staff is twenty five years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, weird, it's Yeager. It's yeah, it's actually Jaeger. Yeah, stop it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not Mick Jagger because I think I I don't remember anything else about that day playing golf other than he had a newborn name Jagger, and I'd ask him and he had said it was for Mick Jagger.
Speaker 11: Yes, is that from with the Arms Wide Open? Is that who he's talking about? Like, He's like, well, I just heard oh.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I don't know that's what that song is about. It's about learning that he's becoming a father. Oh okay, I think that makes a lot of sense. Marvin, Hey, I have I had the lyrics? Well, I just heard the news.
Speaker 1: World going to change.
Speaker 10: Not singing to them please do?
Speaker 1: Oh god?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't know if I'm ready to be the man I have to be. Yeah, it seems like it's about new baby. Do you like him more?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 3: Scott's deb I actually have an original like demo tape of that album with their phone number on it from my wife was a DJ in Tallahassee at the time. She's like one of the group of people that broke that band.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they gave her their number to her.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, because you know, you pass out demo tapes and trying to get on the radio and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, last call for phone calls this day sports history. The is Adam Devine a comedian or is he just an actor?
Speaker 10: I think he's a hybrid of slash.
Speaker 1: Okay, because he's going to join us. I'm just not sure how to introduce her.
Speaker 10: Actor comedian as we do with Sailor actor.
Speaker 1: Comedian or is he comedian actor?
Speaker 9: You asked Sailor this once and he goes, if you call me a comedian, I'd be fine.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Will Ferrell, I think is going to join us to let us know now he's he's an actor comedian.
Speaker 10: But if if he had to boil it down to one, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If Will would be a comedian. I think he'd be an actor. I think he's an actor. I don't know if he's ever done stand though. He's an improv guy, not a stand up.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, And I think he's going to join us to talk about if he's going to join us in Doublin don't. I haven't heard back on any time there Todd that he's going to.
Speaker 1: Join us, but just letting you know cool.
Speaker 2: Alrighty Steven Syracuse, Hi, Steve, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Well? As far as the perfect game, great accomplishment, but I think it's going to happen more often because of the extreme lack of contact hitters. There's no more Rod Cruz or Tony Gwinn's you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Wade Boggs. I mean, run down the list there. Nobody cares about hitting, you know, getting base hits. That's why I thought there would be more no hitters, because everybody's swinging, swinging hard. Whereas you know, it used to be if you were getting no hit in the sixth inning, you were laying down a bunch like whatever it took, you were going to break up that no hitter. This day in sports history, Pauline, what do you have?
Speaker 10: Not a lot today?
Speaker 9: Eighteen ninety seven, cub score thirty six runs in a game against Louisville. They had a team back then that was the records for runs in a game. Nineteen forty one, Joe Demajo got his forty second base hit in a row, broke George Sissler's record. From nineteen twenty two and nineteen fifty eight, Brazil debated Sweden Seweden in the World Cup. Pele at age seventeen, scored a goal.
Speaker 10: In the game.
Speaker 1: It was on this date.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and six, the NBA introduced a new synthetic game ball, and it didn't last long because they changed.
Speaker 1: Back to the leather.
Speaker 2: I have one of those synthetic and synthetic based basketballs right there, right as you come into my office here in the man cave.
Speaker 1: I didn't like it at all. Too slick.
Speaker 2: Oh, here's one on this date in nineteen o five. It's a scene out of a famous movie took place. So it took place before the scene out of the famous movie took place.
Speaker 1: What was the year nineteen oh five? Sports movie?
Speaker 9: Yeah, paulin the Natural where the guy got shot by the girl in the hotel in the scene from the Natural.
Speaker 3: No, so wait, this is a from a movie in nineteen oh five. No is a movie that took place in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it became a scene in a movie.
Speaker 4: The Horse Like War Admiral or whatever.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, Outfielder Archibald Moonlight. Graham plays one inning and the Giants went over Brooklyn. The ninth inning ended with Graham in the on deck circle. He is later immortalized in the novel and movie Field of Dreams. It becomes a doctor. I think we all remember.
Speaker 1: That what was his wife's name. It's gonna be mad at him for getting a homestol lake. Oh think it's a Vanessa something like that. Vanessa would be very upset I get home? What did we learn on the program? Todd? I'll start with you. It's driving Paulie crazy, h Todd.
Speaker 8: David Cohen was most word bet Vladimir Gerra and Jose Vidro in the expos lit up during his perfect game in July ninety nine.
Speaker 1: See O'Connor. Do you want me to tell you what her name was?
Speaker 10: Paul make me wait?
Speaker 1: Okay, Marvin, what did you learn? Remember?
Speaker 11: Jim Joyce but not the picture?
Speaker 1: Armando Gallaraga Seaton? I learned who moon Like Graham's wife was.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna go with Betsy.
Speaker 1: Oh, Alisha? What we learned? Brought to you by Discovered credit Cards. Alisha is gonna be so upset?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Discover credit cards double the cash back you've earned cash back from trips and restaurants. See terms and check it out for yourself. Discover dot com slash match. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, they all around support. I'm gonna do it again tomorrow. It's a meet Friday. Hope you'll join us until then for Fritzy Seaton, mar Paully, yours truly talk to you then