Speaker 1: M The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is Mick Shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 4: Go Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 5: We are situation.
Speaker 6: Stamp it maybe December twenty third, two days before Christmas, but I'm going to wish each of you a happy New Year. Thank you on this edition of mix Shots.
Speaker 1: Before Merry Christmas.
Speaker 4: Before Merry Christmas. It's happy New Year. The new year started about three thirty yesterday afternoon.
Speaker 6: And let me tell you, if this football team plays like they did on Sunday night, every single game, then no one should have any complaints.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: And if they continue, they may finish nine and eight.
Speaker 4: That's right. They might have the twentieth pick of the draft.
Speaker 1: I just want to point out that we may be the only ones that picked the game correctly.
Speaker 4: We almost got it exactly right.
Speaker 1: We had twenty seven four.
Speaker 3: And well, you know, I think we all go with the same thing. First of all, because we don't really score over twenty plus points. So that's why we always.
Speaker 5: Stay in that whole area. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But also the good thing defensively, we don't give up really more than twenty four to twenty five points in these last what five games?
Speaker 4: Yep, I saw one four out of five.
Speaker 1: As the game was progressing, I'm going.
Speaker 4: Four, it was gonna be it was gonna be hard to get to twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well if they quick kicking field goals scored me a touchdown.
Speaker 6: Once they got to twenty six, I figured they weren't getting to twenty seven.
Speaker 1: And I'll I think you're pick to click wins Duran Blend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it took until the last play of the game basically, but.
Speaker 4: No, I know what you're where you're going.
Speaker 1: Mike Evans did not score a touchdown. He had like five catches for sixty yards. You could live with that, and he was predominantly following him.
Speaker 6: And he he didn't have a pick.
Speaker 1: He did not.
Speaker 4: He might as well have had.
Speaker 6: In the last play he picked the pocket.
Speaker 5: That was huge because.
Speaker 1: You know, almost as huge as Lewis's interception. How does he do that? Lewis?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that was nice. Huh. I told you that's my stud, that's my guy. I'm sorry he is.
Speaker 3: You know, he's shown it all year long. I don't know why I didn't see it last year. I think because you know, our secondary was just so weird. But he has always shown that toughness and I kind of missed it last year.
Speaker 1: This year, well, he was back from that foot injury, remember.
Speaker 3: But you know he's shown toughness before that foot injury, and I missed it. And to see just how he's it's like he's mad at somebody out there. Really, he is upset at somebody doing the game. It's like he tries to find someone for his motivation, uh, to be to go all out and just try and embarrass.
Speaker 1: A week or two ago, someone asked him where he got that that attitude he plays with that fight he goes because I was always the smallest guy on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when you when you look at how he dopes not jump up.
Speaker 4: On all that guys.
Speaker 3: Sing his moments of short people. But uh no, I just enjoyed how he tracked the ball. He caught it quickly because at first he was just looking at the wide receiver. But once the ball, once he turned around, he immediately saw it and he saw it going into uh the receiver's hands, and he was not going to let him have it. I don't think he was really going for the interception, No he was. I think he was just going to strip it out.
Speaker 5: But there it is the ball.
Speaker 1: Jerry called it the best interception he's ever seen.
Speaker 5: A hell of an interception.
Speaker 6: And there may be another reason why he was he played like that this year because he's on a one year deal. Well, but no, he was on a three year I was just looking at his contract history. He was on a three year, thirteen and a half million dollar deal up until this year, averaging four and a half million a year, and then this year, on the heels of having the injury of year or so prior, his market was one year, two point eight million dollars, which is good money. But it's a one year deal at age twenty nine, and so he knows that that'll make you play when you have his years of service and what he means to the team, you'll play perturbed.
Speaker 5: And I think also.
Speaker 3: Because of how this defense has been going, I think he has seen it as an opportunity to be a leader, you know.
Speaker 5: I don't think he just kind of stumbled into.
Speaker 3: This and I'm just playing hard, playing hard, and now I'm just going to make you play. I think by design he knows that he is one of the leaders on this team.
Speaker 1: But he's pretty outspoken to That's good.
Speaker 5: That's good he I think he has accepted that. Whether we want to call him a.
Speaker 3: Leader or not, he is a leader on this team.
Speaker 4: So there's another priority in the off Lewis side.
Speaker 1: There's a whole bunch of them to the side whoever else we've been. You know, he's kind of Golston's kind of in that boat where Dorin's Armstrong was this past year.
Speaker 6: Now he does well, he doesn't have the sack total right that Armstrong, But but what he's meant to this team, I mean he's not He's not a guy that's going to have eight sacks, but.
Speaker 5: He as a.
Speaker 1: Inside outside guy, versatility.
Speaker 5: The leaders full of them, and they need them.
Speaker 1: And it just showed this year that you need him. Okay, so let's do this pull back the curtain. Did you watched the whole Washington Philadelphia game.
Speaker 4: I didn't watch the whole game, but I watched what I needed to watch, all.
Speaker 1: Right, And when it was over, your thoughts, I sa I was like, I think I'll just write my story for both.
Speaker 5: I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yesterday, just the way it turned out, I had.
Speaker 6: It on the whole time, and I wasn't focused on every play, but I was focused enough to know what happened, and I went straight to the gym.
Speaker 3: Think about it.
Speaker 1: They just need Philadelphia to do what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 3: They have been doing for tenth straight games.
Speaker 1: Like with nine minutes left in the first quarter, Jalen Hurts goes out with a concussion, right, And I didn't realize this when Pickett came in that afterwards. I looked it up. He had only attempted three passes all year, he had only played seven snaps.
Speaker 3: Not surprised, And I'm going.
Speaker 1: You know them football CODs that have been punishing the Cowboys all year, here's another one.
Speaker 3: Which is gonna.
Speaker 5: A one that's exactly here.
Speaker 1: We go right here, and as Sweat goes.
Speaker 6: Out well and as greg Olsen in regards to the Hurts injury, as greg Olsen pointed out earlier in the game, the importance of Hurts on that offense. It's like every in the advantage he gives on that offense with the whole tush push and all that stuff. It's like first and nine instead of first and ten. Every time they have the football.
Speaker 1: And how many times did they end up in like third and short or fourth and short and they're trying to.
Speaker 4: Throw that's right now, totally different.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so that's why at the end of the game they have to kick field goals.
Speaker 4: Rather than run out the clock. Exactly at the end of the game.
Speaker 3: Is well, if you didn't know, he's extremely important.
Speaker 1: And then Slay goes out. Then Gardner Johnson gets a did for his second personal file and I'm going, this isn't this is unreal, this, this ain't happening, right.
Speaker 3: We saw, we saw it. We saw Philadelphia do something that we hadn't seen him do before. And that's just panic. They just, you know, they gave it up like we would give it.
Speaker 4: You know what I think happened.
Speaker 6: I think somebody told the Philadelphia team about midway the third quarter, they said, if you lose this game, the Cowboys will be eliminated for the playoffs, and so they they I just I think they decided they would rather that happen than them still be in the hunt for a.
Speaker 1: First round You think The take was on when DeVante Smith is going to catch a first down pass, maybe a touchdown pass to seal the game. Not only does he drop it, he drops it twice because he's gonna double clutch again.
Speaker 6: And some of the wide open receivers that the Commanders And I'm just sitting there going, someone's told the Eagles that this will eliminate the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: It was just unbelievable.
Speaker 5: You think just made the call?
Speaker 6: It's right, Okay, Hey guys, I just found this out. I mean, we lose this game, the Cowboys are eliminated, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Just sitting going, we got to cover three more games.
Speaker 4: We got to cover.
Speaker 1: Talk three more weeks or three two more weeks against games that don't meant anything, all right?
Speaker 6: But but fast forward yes to eleven o'clock last night, and how did you feel about covering two more games?
Speaker 1: It was nine and eight, let's go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly right. I felt the same thing.
Speaker 3: You know what, I felt better just watching how they played. Uh, you know, that game is pretty much what I've been looking for with them. Not a lot of penalties offensively, didn't see a lot that really hurt us.
Speaker 5: In certain situations.
Speaker 3: We made some mistakes, but that the way we played as a unit, you know, defensively, we complimented our offense very well and vice versa. I really enjoy watching that game.
Speaker 5: Down to the end.
Speaker 3: It got kind of tight, but I still had a little confidence that will be okay.
Speaker 1: You know I had. I had Basically after watching that game, I said, well, this game doesn't matter. I had half my column written before the game started explaining everything, and then the way it turned out, I was like, okay, throw that away. We got to start again because what they did. And by the way, you did you guys do a pregame show yesterday morning them, but not at the not at the stadium.
Speaker 4: Not the stadium. Now, when I.
Speaker 1: Drove into the stadium, I got there about three hours before kickoff, and there was no traffic, and I'm going, all these people they're not even covering down right, Well, the place filled up. They're getting ready for the kickoff, and all these people are up waving their towels and I'm going, don't they know what just happened? Right?
Speaker 4: What percentage do you think knew that they were eliminated?
Speaker 1: Have no idea?
Speaker 6: Maybe the thought occurred to me, I bet eighty percent of the fans in there had no clue.
Speaker 4: You think so, well, I know, Okay, this is the reason I say that.
Speaker 6: I know my daughter and her family were there, and I guarantee you nobody in that family knew or cared. They're just going for the experience and going to a game. We've got some other friends whose kids are at the game. Those kids don't care. They're just going for the experience of going to a game. They want to see their team win.
Speaker 5: That I think.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 6: We're in the minority here any people that are listening to these podcasts, okay, in that there are a bunch of fans who can't go on a regular basis, and they're casual fans. They liked the Cowboys, but they're casual fans. But when they go, they want to see their team win and it doesn't matter whether they're in the playoff hunt or not.
Speaker 3: Well, and I would agree with you on that, but I would say, and the based on the way you described it, these were not season ticket holders. These were the These are the people that you know fix my pool.
Speaker 6: And I and I know the five people or seven people that I just described.
Speaker 4: They are not season ticket overs.
Speaker 6: They got tickets from somebody else, and so they're going for they're going for a.
Speaker 3: Good time, for the value of the for the at and T Cowboy Spell.
Speaker 6: And the kids going remember that, like I remember going with my dad to go watch the.
Speaker 3: Still think that they knew what was going on.
Speaker 1: I still think and we can vouch for fifty people because after we finished our Star Sports Tour presentation, they all knew what was up. So there was fifty people there that by god, you.
Speaker 3: Say that for the most part, you're gonna you had casual, uh football fans.
Speaker 1: But they stayed to the end, and they gave that team a standing ovation at the end, and they were kneeling down good. It was unbelievable that that it turned out that way.
Speaker 6: So they weren't like a cynics who say, what about the draft.
Speaker 4: What about that top ten draft? Bell four spots in the draft.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I got the feeling that and I think they a long time. And you tell me, if if you're a player, you're not sitting there watching that game on pins and needles and getting emotional because you know you got to play and you don't want to waste your energy, right, So a lot of those guys. Like I talked to Cooper Bbie and I said, did you know what happened beforehand? And he goes, I found out on the bus ride in. So he didn't watch the game.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I doctor Nick Vigil and was like, so what.
Speaker 3: Was the actually what happened to him? Where did he come from?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: That's reserving gazes.
Speaker 1: It was his third start in three years. Wow, and he had played He played sixty nine snaps in the game. I think he played maybe.
Speaker 5: All, but he was the leading tackler in the game.
Speaker 1: He had ten tackles.
Speaker 5: I thought I was like thirteen.
Speaker 1: So when I was looking, he had he had sixty nine or seventy two snaps prior to that. This year he had fifty I think it was fifty six total snaps in fourteen games. So he had thirteen more snaps than he had all seasons. Yeah, and played his ass off.
Speaker 6: He should, but in his career, I mean he's a former third round draft pick out of Utah State, and earlier in his career now in twenty three, he only played and blessed you eight games with Minnesota last year. He's now thirty one years old and four games two starts with Arizona and twenty two, so he's been battling injuries the last couple of years. Prior to that, he was a twelve game starter with Minnesota in twenty twenty one and with the Chargers for a year, and then he started his career with Cincinnati, where he made a total of thirty seven starts. Is for yeah, thirty seven starts his first four years in the league. So he's been a starter in this league and now he's now he's a journeyman, veteran guy. And he was signed because he was familiar had played for Zimmer in twenty twenty one in Minnesota. He's familiar with the system and in case Eric Kendricks ever went down with injuries, that he would be there in reserve, and they gave him a shot, and that's what he did.
Speaker 1: I mean you you basically, I'm not going to, you know, totally consider Lea File a backup linebacker, but in their nickel formation it was overshown. And now he's got a start. So you had two backups starting at linebacker, a backup at defensive end for sure, maybe the third backup or second back up, and then a back up at cornerback and then he goes out. Thank god, it was only one snap. When I saw Booth coming in, I'm going maybe they'll put C. J. Goodwin in. At least he knows what's going on.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, there was a wide open receiver on that play. Yes, yes, I didn't look to see who is at fault on it. But all I know is there was a wide There wasn't another defender in the vicinity like we always have.
Speaker 1: Actually, actually it was bland In Jordan Lewis on that side. Somebody was supposed to.
Speaker 3: Go, I need to stop to the middle because that was the same.
Speaker 1: Now this was the opposite. It was the slant guy that didn't get the sot guy didn't get covered, but they both were looking at the wide guy. But anyway, so all these guys, I don't think, and McCarthy did a good job I think of reading the room because he was asked, did you have to talk to the guys about Okay, we understand, he goes, I was watching and no one was talking about it because no one was saying anything. He goes, Now, there might have been one on one conversations about Washington winning and US being eliminated. He said, so I decided to just ghost. We're going to win, you know, we're going to play. And he said the only adjustment he made when they had their Friday or Saturday meeting on how they were going to conduct the game. They were going to defer if they won the coin toss, and he goes, when we want the coin toss? And I saw what was going on. I said, we're taking the ball, by God, Yes, take.
Speaker 5: The ball we talked about last night.
Speaker 1: Yes, and just drive down and get some momentum and get the miss going.
Speaker 6: Drive that thirty yards down the field field goal?
Speaker 1: By god? Is that guy unbelievable by the way.
Speaker 3: Whimps or something. Man, we're just trying to get three points, bro. He making it sound like we're just.
Speaker 5: You know, you know what.
Speaker 6: They had three They had three field goal drives in the first half that were all exactly thirty yards, and it was a fifty eight yarder or whatever, a forty something yarder, and then another.
Speaker 1: Forty nine yard of fifty that's.
Speaker 6: Right, and then another fifty eight yard thirty yards for some records.
Speaker 3: Think about that.
Speaker 1: He's turned in like the fifty yarders or the new forties.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's like he has I think as much of more than any other kicker a fifty plus yard.
Speaker 1: For a single season fourteen fourteen, So he now has the NFL.
Speaker 5: Record, he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was thirteen Fairburn.
Speaker 5: Fair or wherever?
Speaker 1: How do you say fair Bear? Yeah, but it's brn Barn. Yeah, he had it at thirteen. So now he passed him with two games to go, right, But and he's another one. He he had a they gave him I guess it was NBC after the game. They gave him like a laminated ball. You know, I don't know if it said player of the Game or whatever, but he's got the ball. And I said, oh, you got one of those those ball I meant the fifty yarders. It was like, no, it was the after game ball. And he was putting in his backpack like this was a really big deal.
Speaker 5: It is. I mean, they gave it to him, but I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if they did it like a presentation on the field. But he was like he was like, you know, he goes, if we had to play a game, you're not going to go out there not try to win, right, And and that was the attitude through the whole bunch, And you know, God bless him, because I tell you I was down and out. I was just like, I started to text you guys and go, well, yep, it's been a good one.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 5: That's that's it.
Speaker 1: And and but they came out and played and well.
Speaker 6: Most of the guys playing in the game are playing for next year too.
Speaker 1: Oh exactly, you know that's why. And I heard it. I had to change the station. I heard it on the radio. Well, they're just messing up that draft choice, you know. And it's like, no, these are human beings you're dealing with. You're not dealing with trading stock, right.
Speaker 3: Well, there's no media looks at it sometimes as well.
Speaker 1: They're always the entertainers.
Speaker 6: Okay, next segment, we'll discuss more about the game, and at some point I want to pose the question who should be the starting quarterback again Philadelphia?
Speaker 4: Okay, because I've got it.
Speaker 6: I've got a thought on that, and we may do it in the last segment, because I know you got a notebook full of things from last night's game you want to get to probably first, but okay, mix shots continues in a moment.
Speaker 3: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregames, sideline access, and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 5: You want to stay at.
Speaker 3: The team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports tools, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 7: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 6: Pruscott kits slides for the first.
Speaker 7: Down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 6: Perthpick throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to at and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yeti dot com. Check it out today. Yeti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Demiced Shots.
Speaker 3: Capture a frameworthy family photo with Santa at the Star, presented by Monument Realty. Santa will be spreading holiday cheer at this Cowboys themed cottage in the Star District from November twenty second through December twenty fourth. For more information and to book your visit, head to the Stardistrict dot com slash Santa.
Speaker 6: All Right, we got some breaking news regarding Cowboys Eagles on Sunday. The game has been flexed to a noon kickoff Texas time.
Speaker 3: When you say flex, that flex is when you move.
Speaker 5: Up, moved down.
Speaker 1: They moved up to start.
Speaker 6: Green Bay, Minnesota is now in the three twenty five window and Cowboys Eagles noonkickoff to making you a get home earlier on Sunday night.
Speaker 1: I gotta behave myself Slaturday.
Speaker 4: Right, it's an early call for you.
Speaker 1: Philadelphia is fun town, by the way, on Saturdays Sundays. I don't know what happens. Yeah when they get to the stadium.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah, all.
Speaker 6: Right, So where do you want to start on your legal pad?
Speaker 1: Trying to think of what I thought was important.
Speaker 3: Afterwards, I tell you what's important, and I guess we could have continued from the last segment. The team has not given up on themselves, right, that part right there, to me, that gives us the incentive. I'm sorry, I'm just not about you know, let's go ahead, and you know, as we were going to talk about stop putting in some replacement players. I want us to ruin other people's chances. I want us to go in and say, Okay, this is a meaningful game to us.
Speaker 5: Whatever way you want.
Speaker 3: To think of it, it is meaningful even though it's not going to send us to the playoffs. It's meaningful because I want to stop them from beating us and for enjoying themselves again going to the playoffs. I want to be a factor for the end of this year. And if my team is playing for me the way this team is playing for their coach right now, I'm not going to interrupt that.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to interrupt that.
Speaker 3: If guys want to play for next year and another contract, that's great. Show me what you can do now, show somebody else what you can do now, but play for this team until this season's over.
Speaker 1: So I was gonna point this out. Bill's got his Oh, I didn't bring no, I don't have it. What did Washington and Philly do? There are two games they've played, all right, hold on, and I will let you know, because think about this.
Speaker 6: If Washington, Washington won yesterday, right.
Speaker 1: Would they do? That's what I meant the first time.
Speaker 6: Around and first time around, and Ganders they Philly won twenty six to nineteen the first time around twenty six eighteen on November fourteenth, So they have split.
Speaker 1: Okay, And if I can find this real quick, their division records right now, Philly's three and one in Washington's three and two. So I was thinking, if the Cowboys beat.
Speaker 6: Philadelphia, it would drop them to twelve and four overall.
Speaker 1: And Washington three two in the Atlanta they would move to eleven and five. They'd be one game back.
Speaker 4: Don't go there. You know who the Eagles play the last game?
Speaker 10: The Giants?
Speaker 6: The Giants, all right, looking at never mind, it's a good thought.
Speaker 1: It would be pretty cool, right.
Speaker 4: It's a good thought.
Speaker 1: So what would I was just thinking?
Speaker 6: So if they wound up, if the Eagles lost their last two, they could wind up twelve and five. And if Washington it's last two, you're suggesting the Cowboy should just throw that game just to screw the Eagles.
Speaker 4: Screwed them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get back at you.
Speaker 3: Wait, all those notes over there that you took, that's what you came up with?
Speaker 5: Occurred to me.
Speaker 6: It occurred to me, and that would in the division record. Then the Commanders would be would be four and two in the division and the Eagles would be three and three. So if that happened, Washington could win the NFC East get a home game, but the Giants had that the Giants would have to be.
Speaker 3: When would we know about Jalen Hurt's situation.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, a concussion protocol means a lot of times, it takes a week.
Speaker 5: You don't.
Speaker 6: So you're telling me there's a chance he was trying to jump back in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 11: See it when he was giving the three thumbs up like I'm good like and he's looking at his eyes, probably going no, you're not. You go back in the ten, because he went back in the second time, and that's when they they.
Speaker 3: And he's not a demonstrative person, so you know, you would think they were working through his favorite but obviously it didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what a crazy game that was. Barkley ran for one hundred and twenty three yards the first half, the first half.
Speaker 5: And I recall when he ran for that that yeah sixty eight.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, you know, they're really feeling good about themselves.
Speaker 5: Right now.
Speaker 3: But I could see that all going to hell. For some reason, they just seemed like they were a little bit too confident after he ran that touchdown, and I could see them losing that game, even with the efforts of Saquon Barkley. And sure enough, that's what happened.
Speaker 1: When when they converted, was it up fourth and eleven and Washington win for it and Daniels ran for twenty nine yards, I'm going, okay, this is about to change. And sure enough, because you can't get that turned the ball over six times in one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because he threw five toutdowns first time.
Speaker 1: Did you see that stat? No, that's that's the either the first time since or the most since Mark Ripping in nineteen ninety one for one of their quarterbacks to throw that many touchdown passes and.
Speaker 3: The first rookie quarterback to what for like.
Speaker 6: Comeback whatever it was, and it was five turnovers, five turn.
Speaker 5: Turnover five touchdowns. Yeah, but he was Yeah, he came.
Speaker 3: He's the first like rookie quarterback to come back, make two comebacks in the same season or something like that.
Speaker 1: You know what I think is happening with these quarterbacks that are scrambling and running. People are scared to hit them because they think they're gonna slide and we're gonna hit him late.
Speaker 3: Well that's fine, but that's fine when it comes to the offensive lineman and maybe I'm sorry the d lineman and the linebackers. But in the secondary, you got to stay with your man, right. That has never changed. You know, you practice that drill all the time. You have to stay with your man on the scramble. And the problem with it is it's like they're playing basketball. Bad dB is a lot like playing basketball, but the difference is when you're playing football, you have to also know where the damn football is.
Speaker 5: You can't just be in.
Speaker 3: The secondary looking at him, waiting on him to look. No, it's time for you also to figure out where that quarterback is and where the danger points are, especially priority wise, what's the most dangerous plays and throws that he can make on me right now? From whether he's here or whether he's scrambled all the way back over here. You have to change your approach on how you cover your man, but you still have to know where the quarterback is and they're not right.
Speaker 5: That's why it makes it looks.
Speaker 1: So good, all right, What was your question?
Speaker 4: You want to get to it now? Sure you want to go to a break and then come back with it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's already.
Speaker 4: Let's uh okay, I'm going to pose the question.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: I'll wait until after the break before I asked the question when Mixed Shots continues in a moment.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and Crypto once. That's why I trusts blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 4: Slides for the first down.
Speaker 7: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookiean crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 6: Perfect throw My goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 3: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tailgate party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 10: Today Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 3: What a pairing can cracks?
Speaker 10: A kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes followed by Monday One Swacker Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lite and the two America's team playing America's Greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 1: De vict shuts.
Speaker 3: Tis the season for youth football and dance camps presented by Invisiline. Don't miss your chance to learn from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders at dance camps on December twenty seventh and former NFL players at football camps on December twenty seventh. Celebrate the holidays with the Cowboys and register today at dallascowboys dot Com slash Camps.
Speaker 6: Okay, I got two questions to pose in this final segment here. Okay, the first one which we don't need to spend a lot of time on, but I do want to know the answer to this Mickey. On the pregame, Mike McCarthy told Brad Sham that Chuma Idoga and Tyler Geyton would split the reps at left tackle in the game and then and that Tyler had maybe his best week of practice.
Speaker 4: Okay, but he in.
Speaker 6: The game, Chuma had fifty three snaps and Tyler had seven snaps.
Speaker 4: What happened?
Speaker 1: Tuma started right.
Speaker 4: Tuma started and he was the.
Speaker 6: First possessions, yes, and then Guy was a three and out possession and uh, because I had to go back.
Speaker 4: I was so busy at work last night.
Speaker 6: I had to watch the game again after I got home, and I saw the possession in the first half when he went in.
Speaker 1: Oh, the third play, well, the first play was a false start by Steele one first in fifteen. Uh, they got a ten yard run, No, a dump off t Rico for ten. It was second and five at the twenty five and David Dighton just whift on him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it was a three yard loss of doubts. Yeah, okay, and then it was incomplete behind ferguson first play of the second quarter, and then next came back, came back the next possession whatever. I don't I'm not sure where God went back in for four snaps later.
Speaker 1: Where I don't know if I wrote it down seeing him in there or not.
Speaker 4: But they but okay, kind of changed.
Speaker 6: So there wasn't an injury involved in this with Guy, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: So do you think the thirty yards rushing had anything to do with Gen not coming back in?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think. I mean, I don't pay any better.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, gotten seven snaps dog fifty three. They decided to.
Speaker 6: Go with idoga, and not like they they did a good job pass protection.
Speaker 3: They just did.
Speaker 1: You know what, Tampa Bay I think made the bet, you're not going to beat us running the ball. If you can beat us throwing it, so be it. Because they were they were all over the line of scrip.
Speaker 6: I think they did they didn't want to take a chance on making a change there because they were getting decent enough pass protection.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, and I think and I think use the long handed the Cowboys they were going to have. I mean, think of what they did the first three plays of the game, past, past, pass right. So he was thinking, Okay, I don't know how we're going to handle Vita Vea and they're crowd in the lineups.
Speaker 6: And before the game the coach doesn't know how his team's going to play, right, and so if Guyton was prepared, if the game flips and goes the other way, they might have split reps. But as it turned out, they were, they had the lead, they were things are going well, so why switch it up now?
Speaker 1: I mean, if they're five of their first six plays were passes right, six of their seventh plays were passing.
Speaker 3: Must have been on an extremely short leash. Yeah, for them to just say, okay, first drive, we didn't do much because he was practicing.
Speaker 4: I mean, and they do that by and of course they do that by series.
Speaker 6: And so Adoga went the first two which were uh, and then third series, Guidon came in, so Adoga came in for the fourth series, and then the fifth series was with four minutes left in the second quarter, and now you're getting into two minutes into the half.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I don't know.
Speaker 6: All right, Now, here's the other question I have, because the question is now going to be who should start at quarterback for the Cowboys at Philadelphia at noon Sunday.
Speaker 4: And then at home against Washington.
Speaker 6: My larger question that I have, and it relates to the last two games of this season. Who's going to be the backup quarterback for this team next year?
Speaker 1: And you can put that in that little bucket we have of priority signings.
Speaker 6: And are they having that conversation today because you've got two backup quarterbacks right now in Cooper Rush and Trey Lance that their contract is up, so a decision has to be made between now in March seventeenth or whatever, who your backup quarterback is going to be? And so if you have that conversation with the coaches, with the other part of this is who's going to be coaching the team, but you have if Jerry has this conversation with his coaches today, is that a question that he poses, who's going to be the starting quarterback next year? And how many starts does Cooper Rush have in his career?
Speaker 4: By ron A dozen?
Speaker 6: I haven't looked at up, but yeah, ten, twelve, whatever it is. Cooper Rush needs reps. Would you say, if he's going to be your backup quarterback next year, doesn't it behoove you to get him as much playing time as possible. If the same situation arises next year and you are actually in first place in your division and you need that quarterback to come in, I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's just well well to me with Cooper Rush as far as I'm concerned, if you want to keep him and get him his reps, he can get his reps next next training camp, you can get his reps next preseason. I'm not worried about Cooper Rush right now because he's doing pretty well. The fact that Cooper Rush is winning games for us again, even though it started off slowly, He's winning games for us again. If it wasn't for you know, what was going on with other teams, we could very well be talking about still got a chance to be in the playoffs. We could very well be still talking about that. With Cooper Rush doing a very decent job. I'm not putting a young boy in right now. Okay, I'm just not putting him in. I'm just not putting him in. If once again, we can fight this out in training camp next year, if we don't already have an idea what we want to do, I'm worried about. First of all, I was starting quarterback. I don't know what the heck's going to be, what he's going to be like.
Speaker 6: And and that's the other thing is you need to have a dependable backup quarterback because now with Dak at his age, coming off Hamstream threejuries and if you look over the last three or four years, the number of injuries that he's had, number of games, injuries right that put him out for half a season or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was Russia's thirteenth career.
Speaker 6: Thirteenth career start and so anyway, I mean the knee jerk is oh, play the young guy.
Speaker 4: Whatever. You also factor in you're going to Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: But I mean, to me, is playing right now?
Speaker 1: I don't think you throw him in there to say I want to see you kind of got to know after all this.
Speaker 3: I think they do know, right, That's the thing.
Speaker 1: They do know exactly, that's right.
Speaker 4: And I think they would have been working him in.
Speaker 3: If they would have seen that what you're doing and if they yeah, well he is is guiding right now because if you see in training camp in the preseason game, you know that was his chance to show what he could do, and he showed us just whether he is right now and I don't think we're again he was. We're not in the business of trying to develop him right now, not right now. We could if we're going to develop, and then we're gonna be we're gonna start in the off season if we're going to.
Speaker 1: Keep him, see it. And he's got no market values exactly, So if you want to resign him as the third guy again, okay, fine.
Speaker 6: And he's twenty four years old, which is the same age as Michael Pennix and Bo Nicks.
Speaker 4: Rookies.
Speaker 5: She's not too late for him. That's what that right.
Speaker 1: Wait, played well, didn't he Atlanta?
Speaker 5: He did?
Speaker 1: He did, He started his that was his first start, Penix.
Speaker 4: There were no touchdown passes. They had two pick sixes in that game. Will helped the.
Speaker 6: Matter, okay, and the one interception that he did have went right through the hands of Kyle Pitts down they go over.
Speaker 5: He did well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but yeah, exactly what you want him to do. Even though he didn't throw a touchdown pass, it's fine.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, if you think about it. So in twenty fifteen, Romo was out. He was hurt. They weren't sure of him the next year, and that's when they started Kellen Moore like maybe it was the last game of the season to see what he had, and it kind of convinced him that twenty sixteen he could be the backup quarterback, right, and then.
Speaker 4: Also convinced them they needed to draft a quarterback.
Speaker 6: And needed to draft a quarterback who turned out to be your starter for then.
Speaker 4: Eventually would become I has paid player at NFL.
Speaker 1: Kellen gets hurt with training camp. That gets hurt, I mean, uh more gets hurt in training camp, right, and then it's like, well, okay, I guess we got this guy. So yeah, uh yeah, I don't think it. I just don't see the value of experimenting.
Speaker 3: Well, now, others would say they want to qualify, they want.
Speaker 5: To see what he looks like.
Speaker 3: Play him now, since he has no value, right, that would be the account to your argument. He has he has no value because you won't play him, So why don't you play him and then find out what kind of value you can get for him, see if he can raise his value.
Speaker 6: Well, you're not getting anything for him because he's becoming a free agent, but you're just finding out what he's got and whether you want to resign him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, you remember what happened to you guys? Was it eighty six the last game of the season. I want to say they started, Oh I forgot his name. They started the quarterback from Southern Mississippi, Reggie Collier. I think he played two series that It was like, get him out of there. He doesn't even know the place.
Speaker 3: Tom never did try to coach him that well, he never tried to really, no, he didn't try to coach him because he has such athletic ability.
Speaker 1: Or maybe it wasn't eighty that that's eighty six was I forgot what year it was because I remember him playing in a Bowl game.
Speaker 6: Eighty Reggie Collier played started one game nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: It was eighty six, Okay.
Speaker 3: I think it was against the Bears or somebody.
Speaker 1: Last game of the season.
Speaker 6: The last game of the season was against the Bears. It was a twenty four to ten loss, and Reggie call Your went. Doug Flutie started for the Steve Palure went fourteen out of twenty eight. Reggie Caller four for nine for forty four yards and two interceptions.
Speaker 3: I don't know if somebody.
Speaker 1: Told me they had to help them with the play calls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if that's no. Tom never tried that. He never tried.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, that was the I don't think that was Tom.
Speaker 3: That was the icy Tom signing. It was just okay, and yeah, you can say what you want. Tom Lander used to try to make examples of certain situations.
Speaker 1: As most that he wasn't a favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, oh, they just they just played better than us.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, your game plan was it was.
Speaker 6: Set up for that, and Caller may have this was the ice age where they we don't have the play by play uh on Pro Football Reference, but uh pore hit Mike Rentfro for the final touchdown of the game in the fourth quarter, which tells me, Reggie call, You're probably started that game through two picks.
Speaker 5: And then came oh, I thought you that. That's why I was just trying to confirm it. Yeah, so okay, when did it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: All right, well that does it for.
Speaker 6: We're back tomorrow, right tomorrow, y'all are y'all, y'all are back tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We're back tomorrow.
Speaker 4: You got the family excused absence?
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, so you you have an excuse.
Speaker 4: It is the only time my daughter can do it.
Speaker 6: All right, You have a very merry Christmas and when everyone else will see you tomorrow Christmas Eve Go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.