Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Thursday, Dan and the Danet's Dan Patrick Show. First Come, First Serve. It's peppermint bark moonshine. Perfect way to bring in the holidays. It's available at Danpatrick dot com. First time that we've made this. We went through many tasting sessions. I tell the dan Nets, I go, hey, you guys got to stay after Why, well, we got to taste the peppermint moonshine.
Speaker 3: Honey, I'm gonna be late tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh the things that I put you guys through. Come on, let's go. We gotta have some moonshine. But the peppermint Bark moonshine is available at Danpatrick dot com. We'll get some more phone.
Speaker 4: Calls coming up.
Speaker 2: We got football, at least a reasonable fact simile coming up tonight. It's the Patriots against the Steelers. Steelers giving six points. You know, we know it's a quarterback driven league, but it's a problem going into Week fourteen. Some of the matchups here, Bailey Zappie and Mitch Trubisky. Okay, lowest over under total since nineteen ninety three. You have a struggling Bryce Young taking on James Winston Baker Mayfield Junior. The Third goes to Atlanta to take on Desmond Ritter, Jags and Brown's looks like CJ. Bethard and Joe Flacco. Gardner, Minshew and Jake Browning duke it out in Cincinnati. Josh Dobbs the Vikings go to Vegas to take on Aiden O'Connell. Not exactly can't miss TV. We do have a quarterback problem in the NFL. Because everybody wants a great quarterback, you also want a great, healthy quarterback as well. Sometimes you'll take a good, healthy quarterback in the cases of some of these games. It's tough because we do tune in and maybe that's why offense and scoring has been down because quarterback play has not been consistent, trying to keep your quarterback in there and keeping him healthy for an entire season. And here we are on the verge of adding an eighteenth game at some point over the next couple of.
Speaker 4: Years eight seven to seven to three.
Speaker 2: DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. But our radio affiliates around the country. Operator Tyler's standing by to take your phone calls. The Yankees quietly acquired Juan Soto from the Padres and put him in the outfield, put him with that right field wall. And a guy who is going to give you at least thirty homers might be giving you forty homers and he's only twenty five years of age.
Speaker 4: Let's see. Zach Wilson, he.
Speaker 2: Is going to get the start. He's going to get the start, and he's ready to go. Met with the media and apparently he heard a story about something that pertained to him and maybe his reluctance to play, but he did address it yesterday.
Speaker 3: Zac.
Speaker 5: There was a report I'm sure you were Monday that said you had expressed some reluctance about becoming the starter again.
Speaker 4: Is there any truth to that?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not, you know, absolutely not.
Speaker 6: I love the guys in this locker room and I would do anything, and I think anytime you have an opportunity step in this field, you need to take advantage of it.
Speaker 1: Did you feel or need to address the team at all about that, because that report kind of was widespread on Monday.
Speaker 6: No, I don't think so, and I think more than anything, I've had support from those guys through this entire process. I think guys understand where we're at right now, and I've had backing, you know, since day one, and that's why I love this team so much. And you know, if they understand the struggles we've been going through, and you know, I think there can be a lot of respect shown to just keep fighting from everybody and we're all going through the same things.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, he needed to address the situation because if the story is not true, then you're not validating it. But I think you're re emphasizing that it's not true. Maybe it was an offhanded comment, but I would be livid if somebody said I didn't want to play football, that I was reluctant to play. I would be angry. And it's not one of those nunnah. I didn't see a reason to No, No, you need to you need to explain how could this have possibly seen the light of day. Somebody in the organization is leaking this. You may not want to talk about that, leave that to Aaron Rodgers who talked about that. But this is a it's always been a dysfunctional organization. They've had their moments. But sometimes you see what happens with these teams and you go, how is this unfolding? How's it unraveling? You know, the Carolina Panthers, that's a mess starting at the top, and then the infighting, backstabbing the Jets. Who would leak this? Why would you leak this? Do you really dislike Zach Wilson that much? If you really dislike him, play him, put him out there. But don't I have a smear campaign against the kid. Just if he's going to play, put him out there. Let him play the next five games? Also, why do I see this scenario happening? The Patriots continue to lose, and then they get to the last game of the season, maybe the last game of Bill Belichick's career in New England, and Bill sticks it to the organization by winning the game against the Jets and they lose out on Caleb Williams or Drake May Can you what's the draft order now with the Patriots?
Speaker 7: Right now, Bears had the number one pick from Carolina. The New England Patriots are comfortable with the number two pick in the draft. They can even afford a win, They can even afford one win. Arizona's third in the draft right now at three and ten.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just see that scenario. I don't know if New England wins another game, but then they're gonna have that final game and it'll be against the Jets, and then that would be like remember Lovey Smith when he was with the Texans, Like, whatever you do, don't screw it up, Lovey, don't win the last you won the last game. Yeah, Paul, would you.
Speaker 7: Be interested in some speculation based on nothing? I was just thinking about the Jets situation and who could have leaked that Zach Wilson was talking. Because Zach Wilson probably spends a lot of his time in the quarterback room and the meetings and so on and so forth, and there's some assistant coaches in there, and the other quarterbacks are in there. Tim Boyle just got cut. They could have easily kept him on the roster for the rest of the year. And I wonder on the way out or one of the reasons he's on the way out is was he talking to the media or after he was let go by the Jets, did he talk to the media.
Speaker 2: Because Zach Wilson didn't play well, Tim Boyle got a chance to play. If Zach Wilson plays well, Tim Boyle doesn't even get to play.
Speaker 7: Someone overheard Zach Wilson making some type of comment that they construed us I don't want to play. I don't play behind this offensive line. They're put me in danger and the most likely people are the people he's around with all day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I don't know why Tim Boyle. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Because Zach doesn't want to play, Tim Boyle would maybe get a chance to play more. I don't understand why. You know there was a smear campaign on the kid, because he was already doing that to himself. By the way he played, that is harshmeared you a enough? Did you didn't need to go? He doesn't want to ply. I mean, okay, that is tough. Yeah, all right, get some phone calls coming up. By the way, this Jacksonville Jaguar story is pretty spicy. A financial employee is accused of stealing more than twenty two million dollars from the team over a four year period. And it's not Urban Meyer. So he manipulated the virtual credit card program, according to documents filed this week in the US District Court. According to the court filing. This gentleman is accused of stealing just over twenty two million dollars, using some of that money for purchases that included a condominium, a Tesla, cryptocurrency chartering, private jets, luxury hotel stays, a country club membership, and really really expensive watches. Did you ever think doing it on the down low here, dude? I think all of the sudden you're showing up with this and you're probably making you know, seventy two thousand dollars and you're, hey, you want to come to the country club. Oh, what time is it? Oh let me see. Oh my Panori that I have on here. Oh you got a Tesla? Yeah yeah, Tesla, Yeah, I got that too, condominium, ponta vidrafor wow, you're killing it.
Speaker 4: And cryptocurrency yes.
Speaker 3: Ton.
Speaker 5: There was a scene in Good Fellows, which I don't believe you've seen, but Robert Denner gets all upset with his fellow gangsters because one shows up in a fancy car, the other one's girlfriend's got a big fur cod on and he pulls them over.
Speaker 3: It's like, what are you doing?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Paul, But do you think the jaguars employee. Like he starts doing this four years ago. He figures out there's a way I could take money from the Jaguars, put it in a separate account. I test it out. I put like five grand, and then ten grand, and six months later he's like, no one's noticed this, no one's caught on. You know, he probably thought himself, why stop, because I'm guilty? And is it I wonder if, like if you took a million or twenty two million, he probably just said, I'll keep going.
Speaker 4: Well, he's guilty, right, Ben, he's guilty.
Speaker 7: Error is there levels of guiltiness by how much you take?
Speaker 8: Definitely, but like let's say it.
Speaker 7: Was a million versus twenty two million, is it the same? Does he have to pay back the money?
Speaker 4: I don't know what the prison time is going to be.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he I mean, he's gonna have to sell all of this stuff that he bought. But you know, he chartered private jets and stayed in great hotels and that's not something you're gonna get bag.
Speaker 9: Yeah, don't worry, DP, I'm still flying Jet Blue. Okay, all right, I trust you?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 7: Now, do you have a cover car if you're this guy. Would you have the Maserati for weekends and then you drive like a nice civic.
Speaker 4: Well he had a Tesla.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, and that's.
Speaker 4: That doesn't mean that that's affordable.
Speaker 2: Yeah yes, okay, yeah, yeah yeah, so that's that's not something that's you know, it can be high end.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he had four teslas.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like, at some point, how do you get away with, you know, putting or hiding or maybe not hiding twenty two million dollars. It's not like you went, oh man, he was siphoning and it's like fifteen hundred dollars. Okay, it's twenty two million dollars. Does anybody come in to oversee what he's doing. I'm guessing they will now, But man, twenty two million dollars.
Speaker 9: Yeah, smart, that's why the Jaguars couldn't afford a cart. Oh happened to that cart? Money?
Speaker 2: I brought this up when I'm watching Trevor Lawrence wins in pain limp off the field and then he has to walk up the ramp to get to the locker room. I'm like, where is the golf cart? This is your franchise. Unless they didn't have any money for a golf cart because this guy spend it on other things. Here's Trevor Lawrence on declining to take the cart to the locker room.
Speaker 11: We talked about getting a cart, and I was going to get a car, and then I'm standing there and you know, I'm already on the sideline at that point, the tunnels right there. I just wanted to get off the field, get out of there. I didn't know what was going on with my ankle, and I felt like I could get off. You're good, just don't bring it out. I'm going in. And then once I got in there, I'm like, this is a pretty long walk, you know. But I was already there, and they asked again if I wanted a cart. I'm like, no, we're gonna make it the whole way there. I didn't know there was cameras in the tunnel, you know, so that's kind of everywhere exactly so. But no, it's of course we have carts and we have everything we need. And I was the one that didn't choose to take one, you know, So I guess put that on me, and maybe that was dumb. Maybe I should have taken one.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 8: That's where the coach goes no, get in the cart. Yes, yeah, that's where there is no. I guess that one's on me because there's staff there. That's like, buddy, we're telling you put your ass on the cart and take the right in.
Speaker 2: You're not walking, yes, yes, he's win singing paint. We need those legs to be healthy, Bud. Just sit okay, yes, yes, I mean I get it. You don't want to be carted off if you're a player. But once you walk off the field, then you can get on the cart. And even if there's cameras like, Okay, I'm gonna swallow my pride because this really hurts and who knows if you're doing any further damage to it. Get in the cart, wave to the audience and go to the locker room. Don't do fife and drum bugle corps where you're dragging yourself up there. There's no need to do that. Pull question for hour two is gonna be watched heat No connor.
Speaker 8: It's the whole Jaguars thing is kind of like office space where they so he just to be to that where they in the movie office space. They devise this system where it sort of rounds off like fractions of a penny, and they're like, over year's worth, we're gonna have a bunch of money, but nobody notices fractions of a penny. And then these idiots, because the movie is basically these dudes are a bunch of idiots. They must have gotten a decimal point wrong or something. Overnight they stole hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So this guy from the Jaguars, if you read more about the account, he was making legitimate purchases for the team, but inflating the cost of the purchases and keeping the money in a separate account. Or he was purchasing something with the scene. Let's say he was buying Let's say he was buying equipment for the team. Hypothetically that was a legitimate purchase. He would he would buy a Tesla right and say it's equipment. He was a guy writing down the expense reports and approving the expense reports so he could put whatever he wanted for what the expense was, and no one's checking you, bick, oh, we're buying a new turf system for.
Speaker 4: Two hundred and forty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: He's accused of duplicating legitimate expenses in an electronic ledger, inflating amounts of legitimate transactions, entering fictitious transactions, and then using the money for personal purchases. What kind of jail time do you get for something like that?
Speaker 7: What if he has to continue working for the Jaguars as the funny Golly.
Speaker 2: He's held various titles during his tenure with the Jaguars, and most recently manager financial Planning Analysts. He was the sole overseer of the program, the virtual credit card program. Uh wow, I'm at Patel is charged with wire fraud and illegal monetary transactions.
Speaker 7: I'd love to see the video, like or when he was told he was busted. Did they walk in at work the HR people? Have I talked a little bit.
Speaker 4: Wirefrugul gets you twenty years? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Dang, that is not worth a tesla. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, well, I don't know private private jets, country club tesla, four years, scholarship, four.
Speaker 8: Great years versus twenty years in jail. No, No, I'm good. Okay, pay the fifty bucks to upgrade at United for the little extra leg room.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many years in jail for the trade off to spend twenty two million dollars. If I said you had to spend three years in jail.
Speaker 8: And when you got out you get twenty two million dollars. No, no, you already spent your twenty two million. Oh no, no, no, Marvin, any jail time for twenty two million.
Speaker 9: I was in the holding cell for three hours once, No, not a minute.
Speaker 4: Did you cry when you were in the holding cell?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 12: I was.
Speaker 3: I was on the cusp. I was like, damn, this is it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm not going to see you again. Oh yeah, you're finally going to get that prison body you've been working on.
Speaker 3: I'm no, I don't want there.
Speaker 2: All right, let me take a break. We'll get some more phone calls coming up. We'll check in on the winter baseball meetings with sho Hee Otani and Juan Soto goes to the Yankees.
Speaker 4: That's one of those.
Speaker 2: Oh by the way, Oh that's right, there are other free agents who are available. We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, it's Ben, host of The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour. I'll tell you it's a spin off of it. Ben Maler show, a cult hit overnights on FSR. Why should you listen? Picture if you will a world where we chat with captains of industry in media.
Speaker 4: Sports and more every week.
Speaker 13: Explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to The Fifth Hour with Ben Maler on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: The Mercedes Benge Holiday Love Celebration is here. Incredible offers on exceptional vehicles You're bound to love the EQB C Class or eq E s UV. Learn more at nbusa dot com slash special offers. Get some phone calls here. There are reports that John Ram is going to join the Live Tour. Now this has been there for a while. The Telegraph reported Tuesday the deal between John Ram and the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund who's leading the negotiations. He is imminent, maybe announced in the coming days. John Rahm, the defending champ at the American Express is not among the early commitments to that field in Palm Springs in twenty twenty four. He's twenty nine years of age. Previously shot down rumors that he was headed to Live toour. I've seen anywhere from four hundred to six hundred million dollars for John Rahm. I'll go back to February of twenty twenty two. This is my official, my one and only time I'll talk about this where I'm officially declaring my love for the PGA Tour. I'm a pack member. I have a lot of belief in the Commissioner J Monahan and the product that they are going to give us in the future. He talked about this speculation for the Live Tour, and he backed the tour again in June of twenty twenty two. He's interested in the history and legacy with the PGA Tour. My heart is with the PGA Tour. That's all I can say. So those are some of the comments that he's had. And I'm curious with the Live Tour, do you need to spend this money if there's eventually going to be a merger. Now, if I'm John Rahm and I can pick up four hundred five hundred million dollars and eventually I'm going to be able to still play on the PGA Tour events, play in the majors. Hard money to pass up and less blowback. Now, if Rory did it, he's the one guy. Tiger and Rory would never be able to do it. And not that they would, but they would never be able to do it. Okay, But if you're the Live Tour, do you need to spend this money on John Rong? How long are you getting him for? And if if eventually they're going to merge, which they're going to have to, I get it. If I'm John Rohm, be tough to turn down that kind of money. How long are you going to be on the Live Tour? Do you get to play in the majors? Okay, you don't get to do Ryder Cup or whatever. You know, they're going to have stipulations in their requirements points that you're gonna need to qualify to get into certain things. But if you're John Ram you got a chance to pick up that kind of money. I certainly understand it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Paul, it's a confusing story because, like you said, I wonder if rom and it's people were like, this offer is still out there at this juncture, why do you need to pay Let's say it's three hundred million for me for a year and a half of work. But you know, the vitual against it isn't there right now. There's a very little reaction of the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been there for a little while because he has been backing out of things, and I think that's where people started to notice that maybe there's some bread crumbs he's putting down that he's going to go.
Speaker 4: To the Live Tour.
Speaker 2: You know, Livetur's got to eventually get to play four rounds of golf. That's the only real hang up I have as far as you know, the events they have play four rounds. You don't need to do three. Okay, you have loud music, and you have some funny team names, and you get to wear shorts. Okay, nobody cares. I mean, you're going to be gone. You may not be forgotten, but they're I mean, you're still watching an event. If you're watching Pebble Beach, you're watching Pebble Beach because it's at Pebble Beach. Whoever's playing, it's nice to have those great players but I don't miss Phil Micholson.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I loved watching him, but I'm fine at no point in the last couple of weeks that I go, Man, I sure wouldn't like to have Phil Micholson out there.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 3: That's what happened.
Speaker 4: Like Bubba Watson, love Bubba, I don't miss him.
Speaker 10: Is that okay? All right?
Speaker 4: I mean that's what happens.
Speaker 2: Somebody else will come in, and somebody else will win a tournament or win a couple of tournaments. Here. John Rahm's a wonderful player, you know he'll he was a great guest with us. But I don't know if people are going to be going not watching John Ram's not in there. When he's in there, great when he's not, I'm still watching. So live tour, whatever the plan is. It feels like they eventually have to merge.
Speaker 7: But are they aware they're merging?
Speaker 4: Do the people who call the job. I have no idea they where.
Speaker 8: I don't How do you leave the PGA for a live tour at this point when they're merging in like eighteen months, unless.
Speaker 4: Well there's no penalty.
Speaker 2: I mean, if they're merging, take the money and then you're eventually going to be the PGA Tour. I mean, people may go, I can't believe you left for you know, fourteen months, but yes.
Speaker 8: Is this a sign that really PGA was acquired by livgofwel and maybe not merged.
Speaker 2: Well, that's still trying to figure out, you know, who are the power players in this, because it feels like the Live Tour is guiding the PGA Tour.
Speaker 4: By the way.
Speaker 8: I kind of feel like everybody's statements pre j Monahan uh doing what he did, you know, should be almost like wiped clean because everybody they thought that they had they thought they were backing the PGA and PGA was backing them, and it turns out they backed PGA and PGA cut a deal out from under them. Yeah, that's garbage. And I don't really think that John Rahm or Rory McElroy or anybody else should be.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, I thought you weren't going and now you are.
Speaker 8: Well, that whole thing changed once PGA decided to cut a deal without telling them.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think there's a lot of golfers who feel like that that they they they pledge their allegiance to the PGA tour.
Speaker 8: The PGA Tour wasn't pledging its allegiance to its player. John Rahm said he was betrayed. There's a huge sense of betrayal. Yeah, I get that.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: You want to make that money, you want to take the money. Maybe it's two years down the road, you're back on PGA, you know, on the tour, whatever the tour is. I mean, they got to figure this out, got to figure it out soon. But I as far as those who were going to defect, John Rahm was the last name. It felt like he was going to do that. So if he takes the money, maybe you will see him. Maybe we'll see him in just majors, depending on if they allow him in.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: That's a big blow. Yeah, if you're a diehard golfer, that's a big blow. But the casual golf fan, you just watch a lot of times. You watch for the scenery of it, like it's always at a great place, weather's always great, well, everybody looks great, having a good time, and it just feels like that's what you tune in with that sport. There's no Tiger, there's no there's no Tiger. I mean, we're holding on to you know, a banged up, broken down Tiger right now. But as far as and Rory, we keep waiting for Rory to be consistently great, or Jordan Spieth or Justin Thomas. But it you know, that's that it almost magnifies how great Tiger was. That he's winning I think like one every four tournaments at one point in his career. We're not going to have that now. They're going to do the rollbacks with the golf balls in a few years where they're trying to take away distance. And what what's going to happen is people are going to be going out and buying you know, title is pro vs and stockpiling them because you know, once once they get to whatever twenty twenty nine or something to twenty eight, they're going to take away those golf balls because these dudes are playing with whiffle balls now that they want to take away like fifteen to twenty yards from golfers, well, the average golfer is going to be affected as well. But they said, wow, it's only going to be like five yards or so, Hey, I'll take that far. I need that five yards here. Rory doesn't need an extra fifteen Yeah, pul Yeah.
Speaker 7: The USGA and the RNA announced on Wednesday, capping five years of study on this topic, that golf balls are going farther.
Speaker 3: That's a deep study.
Speaker 4: Who saw that one coming.
Speaker 7: I'm going to say it with some money that over the past twenty five years, t shots are traveling thirty yards further.
Speaker 4: It's detrimental of the game.
Speaker 7: They're saying it's hurting local courses distance, it's hurting the pro courses for like how they'd make it par So in twenty twenty eight, there'll be like a governor on the golf ball where they can't make golf balls that have a certain distance metric and for recreational golfers twenty thirty.
Speaker 3: So get it in now.
Speaker 2: It brought this up years that I thought Augusta was going to create their own golf ball. They're just going to say you play an our tournament because you can't expand at Augusta. You know, they bought some adjoining land to try to make I think thirteen tea a little bit longer, but they don't have any room. And that's what I worried about, is these great courses that have been around for centuries that I don't want them to be obsolete. I want people to play that course the way that course is meant to be played. And then it became just about power. It was just hit it. As far as Michelson said years ago on this show, Hey, I'd rather pound it and maybe maybe in a little bit of trouble in the rough. But I'm hitting an eight iron and then somebody else is hitting a six iron. I mean that's the philosophy that you have. But golf moving forward is moving back in some ways with the golf ball there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, poem, Yeah, this new golf ball that they tested that they are probably going to roll out. It goes with a big hitter on the tour. They estimate fifteen yards shorter on a monster drive. Yeah, and people have. Rory McRoy said he loves it. It'll make golf, it'll bring back like the short game, the mid range game.
Speaker 2: Well, if I'm Rory, I love it because I still hit it further than everybody. I'm still going to be fifteen yards further than everybody else. Now, you know, it's just you got more shot making, And really golf is not necessarily about shot making anymore, because if you're a guy, you know, there's golfers who just didn't hit it, you know, two hundred and fifty, two hundred and sixty, two undred and seventy yards. You're getting crushed out there. Those guys are playing a completely different game. They're hitting the ball three thirty. You're hitting two seventy, so sixty yards. I might put a wedge in your hand and you're hitting an eight iron. The difference with a wedge and an eight iron with those guys, I mean, it's such such a disadvantage for these guys who don't hit it as far, but they can be great golfers. A lot of times you'll see golfers even when you're out playing the weekend and you got somebody who doesn't hit it very far, but he hits it right down the middle, and then he'll hit it right up to the green and then it'll get up and down like That's what some of these guys on tour will. Maybe they can come back to and have those players be able to get in the mix.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Paul.
Speaker 7: So you've got to stay on air for five more years, dan four more years, because there's gonna be a story that some mid level golfer on the corn Ferry tour was sneaking in bootleg golf balls to hit it further.
Speaker 4: Well, they check your balls before the run.
Speaker 2: Oh okay there, Yeah, I might take up golf now. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Interesting, interesting time for golf. Interesting time.
Speaker 2: But then the golf ball thing and I like, you know, the weekend guy like, how dare they is somebody gonna check the golf balls that we have in five years? You start stockpiling some of these pro v You're like, is that legit?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Of course it is. Is there gonna be like a designation there?
Speaker 2: I guess there going to be a blue light that you put it under and you go, okay, that's legitimate here.
Speaker 4: But you're gonna have bootleg.
Speaker 2: You're gonna guys selling golf balls out of the trunk of their car when you get to the golf course.
Speaker 5: Yes, Tom, is it gonna be like that fishing story where they blow up the balls to see if somebody's putting little pellets in.
Speaker 3: There or what the feather is? What's in there?
Speaker 2: A couple of phone calls in here, Chris in Brooklyn, Good morning Chris, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Good morning fellows?
Speaker 4: How you doing good?
Speaker 14: Good on the in season tournament. I was just going to say, it will be funny if the Pacers win. You know, they have this like running gun offense. They have the highest points per game in NBA history right now, also giving up the most points in the league.
Speaker 10: But if they win the tournament this like they'll act like it's uh, you know, the takes will be is this the future of basketball? Because they want to see the tournament, Whereas in the couple of years it would have been a couple months in the Pacers are scoring a lot of points. But now this would create some sort of like justification or talking point about this. You know, it's not a new offense. It's happened before, but they're just doing it to a really extreme level.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just remember when it would be on rare occasion you'd have a game in the one thirties or one forties. Now that seems like a nightly occurrence.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: It's not a big deal where you go, oh, they scored one hundred and forty five points, one hundred and fifty points. But this is the you know, the advent of the three where everybody gets to shoot it.
Speaker 9: Yes, and also can we get away from this? Basketball is better in the nineties because I watched the game on game It was terrible on NBA TV, and it was like Knicks Pacers and it was eighty seven eighty four. They brought in the three point line because they wanted to up the scoring because guys couldn't shoot except Reggie and Glenn Rice and Mark Price. You know, it's about three guys in the league that could really shoot, and they brought into three point line by about three feet.
Speaker 3: In the nineties, it was bad.
Speaker 4: It was bad.
Speaker 2: It was Greco Roman wrestling and first team to ninety usually would win a game. And some of the biggest guilty parties were Mike Frittello and pat Riley when Ryle's was with the Knicks and for Tello with the Calves. It was physical, physical basketball, and why you would think that you would want that with these great athletes and you know, transition basketball.
Speaker 4: They're like, no, we like that tough foul.
Speaker 2: And imagine some of those guys who played in the eighties and nineties if they got to play today, you know what their numbers would look like.
Speaker 9: They would have made the roster. No, he said, man, he could really punch him in the face. But he can't hit an eighteen footer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you wouldn't need Charles Oakley, you wouldn't need Rick Mahorn, you wouldn't need the intimidators, like your physical guy is a nuisance, like Dylan Brooks, Draymond Green.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: Won a guy who is hey, why is he out there in case things get out of hand.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're not intimidators. They're just annoying.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, back then what they intimidated. Yeah, it's like, hey, if you do something to him, you got to go through me. All right, I'm not going to do anything to him. Yeah, pumm.
Speaker 7: I agree that scoring was not that much fun back then though, sixty eight seventy two that was awful. But there was a lot more tension in games. There's a lot more physicality and not get off my lawn, but the physicality is completely missing now. It's like it's gone so extreme the other way. It's two where there's not some compromise where I like one hundred and forty two points, but I like to see something besides three pointers taken.
Speaker 2: And that's all it is. I mean, the percentage of three point shots is crazy. But if you're going to score one hundred and forty two points. All you have to do is make sure you don't give up one hundred and forty three points. Yes, see, first half triple double is crazy. Yeah, Yeahluas Luca had that last night. Yes, yes, Marv.
Speaker 9: I'm with Pauline from this standpoint, everyone takes three pointers in the NBA.
Speaker 3: It's like whoa, whoa, who told you you could shoot? You know, eighth guy off the bench.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, see.
Speaker 8: We were just talking about the Yukon big man Donovan Donovan Klingham being like a dinosaur because he's only a big guy. He can't shoot threes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Zach Edie, the player of the year. We don't even know if he can play in the NBA.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 2: Garza from Iowa was the Big ten Player of the Year a couple of years ago.
Speaker 8: Is a dude from Kansas that can shoot though, Oh Dickerson who transferred from Michigan.
Speaker 4: He can shoot.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's gigantic, he can shoot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But that's what you have to do.
Speaker 2: There's so many guys that they wouldn't be able to play in today's NBA. But you know, you look at the Plumbley brothers, Well they may be still playing in the NBA. But you have to be able to do something yet, you know, offense, it feels like you can't be that.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll just let him have the ball, you know.
Speaker 2: And it just feels like these guys who these big men who would normally have been able to make the transition to go into the NBA. There, they need to develop their skills. They need to be able to shoot at least an eighteen footer.
Speaker 4: Yem.
Speaker 9: Now, it's a bunch of three and D guys. Yeah, that's six ten guy. That would have been a power forward in nineteen ninety five. No, no, no, no, just play real hard defense and make this open corner three.
Speaker 3: All right, that's it.
Speaker 4: That's what the NBA is. It's three in D.
Speaker 10: Like.
Speaker 3: What's a post like? What's a post play? What's a post move?
Speaker 9: There's no Kevin McHale post moves, Carmelo post moved anymore.
Speaker 2: No no dream shake. He's gonna stay on the perimeter. Yeah, all right, let me take a break. We'll come back. More phone calls and uh the show. Heyo Tani story got really really quiet yesterday. We'll talk about that as well.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 3: Case.
Speaker 2: You're wondering the Thursday night prop bets, Bailey Zappy over under passing yards?
Speaker 4: Who wants to guess?
Speaker 2: Bailey ZAPPI the Patriots against the Steelers in Pittsburgh tonight.
Speaker 4: Paul one's sixty eight All right, Marvin.
Speaker 2: One's seventy nine, Seaton one seven, Todd one eighty two and a half, one fifty six and a half, Mitchell Trubisky over under.
Speaker 4: Passing yards tonight, Marvin two oh four, Seatan two twenty four, godd.
Speaker 7: One sixty six and a half, Paul five hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Wow, you really have a lot of confidence one hundred and eighty and a half passing yards tonight. They're not gonna light it up tonight, I don't think. But the over under. I think somewhere around eighty percent of the bets are on the under, which always makes me nervous. Maybe an accidental maybe a defensive touchdown for the Patriots. Maybe a close game here that's six points, so you know, maybe it's a twenty to fourteen game something like that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, mar is This where Mike Tomlins seek gets real hot in Patriots.
Speaker 2: This is this is a must win situation. You have to win this game. WHOA yeah the Steelers. Yeah, I'm not saying Mike Tomlin's future. I'm talking about Steelers must win this game. Must They're seven and five, must win. kJ in Georgia, Hey kJ, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 2: Dan uh?
Speaker 10: First time, long time m HM. I just had a comment.
Speaker 12: About the college football playoffs. I was just thinking that if they're going you know, the compses are going away from the divisions like the East, West or whatever, So you're going to have this top two teams for the conference championship each year, won't a lot of the NCAA just go to eight compasses. You'll have the top two teams playing for the championship. That'll be the first round of the playoffs. Basically, you'll have a sixteen team playoff and then the champions will get seated after that and then you don't have to worry about this. Well, they do they earn their way?
Speaker 10: Do they?
Speaker 12: You know, do they deserve to be in the playoffs?
Speaker 2: You know, anything that simplifies at kJ, I'm in favor of, but we're eventually going to get to this where there's going to be x number of teams that are going to be able to play for the national championship. That'll be sixty schools, fifty schools, forty schools, and then they'll divide them up geographically sort of what you know, like you have in the NFL. Colleges are going to pay the players. I mean, this is all going to happen. The question is when does it happen? Yeah, pum, I disagree with this caller.
Speaker 7: If college football makes their playoffs too regimented and too automatic, that ruins What college football is all about is debates, and even though it's ugly and messy, Like if you had five Power five conferences and each winner got in and then the other what eight spots or it'd be seven spots, right, seven spots are up for grabs, then there's a lot of debate about those other seven at large teams, which is what college football is all about.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but see that's right there. There's already another problem. We have to stop with Power five. It either has to be Power four or Power six. As soon as you do an odd number, things are messed up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but do we want messed up?
Speaker 8: Oh my god, this is the most circular conversation ever.
Speaker 2: It feels like we don't want it when it doesn't suit what we what it turns out to be.
Speaker 8: Do we want chaos or do we want to figure out who the best teams are? I don't understand what the point of all of this is.
Speaker 2: I know it's like we're trying to out smarter ourselves, like let's just simplify it and that and that way. You know, I don't I don't want to devalue the regular season. I want to make sure that those games in November are more important than they have been. And there's some things that are at stake as far as seating goes.
Speaker 4: I mean, they could make this great.
Speaker 2: It just feels like that they've been kind of banging into an iceberg here for a long long time, and you know, now they're sinking. Now we got to figure out now we have the twelve team playoff. But it just feels like we're trying so hard when it feels like it's right there in front of us where it should be simplified, not amplified. Rory and Florida, Hi, Rory, Hello, Hey, Ry, Hey.
Speaker 15: Good morning, guys. I hear everyone debate, and is that you saying. I just want to bring a few facts to the table here, and could they beat this team or that team? I absolutely believe they could beat Alabama. Alabama struggled against USN, Alabama had to hail Mary to beat a team and got smoked by New Mexico State with their quarterback the second string guy. He'll be back by the time that the thing was going to happen in anyway, So I don't understand. Here's another thub FSU has outpassed Michigan in the three games that they've had their backup since.
Speaker 2: Well, Michigan is not a passing team. Michigan is a running team. Michigan against Penn State, what they do throw four passes. They ran the ball the entire time. That's what they do. They're not a lighted up offense. Got a really good running back. And this is Jim Harball's model. That's what he wants to do. Physical, run the football. Yes, could Florida State, Yes they could. They beat Alabama. I'm sure they could. But this is where it's open to interpretation of who are the best teams right now? Are you going to keep Alabama out after they beat Georgia. I mean Georgia is the one who has a gripe because if any of these teams in the final four, if I said who would be favored against Georgia, Nobody's going to be favored against Georgia. Does that make Georgia one of the best four teams? That's where it's subjective.
Speaker 4: I feel bad.
Speaker 2: Florida State did everything they're supposed to do, but the committee, it's made up of people, they have an opinion. It's subjective. The eye test and the bottom line money