Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Votes and Verdicts podcast hosted by Bloomberg Intelligence, Bloomberg LP's investment research platform. In this podcast series, we talk about the intersection of business policy and law. My name is Matt Schuttenhelm. I'm an analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence covering litigation and policy in the TMT space, with TikTok filing a lawsuit to challenge Congress's recent divest or ban law. In today's episode, we feature our April twenty ninth I analyst briefing TikTok countdown to shutdown. In it, I'm joined by my Bloomberg Intelligence colleagues Hamlin Basin and Mandeep Singh to discuss what's at stake for TikTok and its competitors and what's next in Congress, the courts, and the EU. Please enjoy it. That's a title we phrased as a question because after recent events in the US Congress, the company is facing serious risks of an effective ban, and what we hope to do over the next couple of minutes is give you an overview of those recent events and then focus our analysis on what's next for the company in courts. In the EU and with respect to a potential divestiture. So a couple housekeeping notes before we begin. First, this presentation will be recorded and it's available for playback. You can ask ask a question by submitting one in the Q and a box at the bottom of your screen. And after the webinar, the three of us are available to answer further questions. Just reach out to us on the Bloomberg terminal. A brief note about who we are. Bloomberg Intelligence BI Research delives an independent perspective, interactive data and investment research on companies, industries and global markets. Our team of three hundred and fifty professionals helps our clients make informed decisions and we cover these companies, industries and markets from the perspectives of strategy, equity, credit, ESG, government, and litigation. My name is Matt Schuttenhelm. I'm a litigation and policy analyst with the I focused on the TMT sector. I'm joined today by my colleagues Tamlin Basin, our TMT analyst and the EU, and man Deep singh Our, our TMT global team leader. So, good morning, good afternoon, guys. Hi. So we wanted the structure today's briefing as a conversation more of an exchange of questions and answers between the three of us, and I wanted to toss it to you, Tamlin, to sort of get it started.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure, thanks, thanks Matt, and thanks joining us everybody. So I guess it's certainly been an eventful couple of weeks for TikTok, But I think, really, if you take a step back, a lot of these issues really have been simmering for some time, for a number of years, I think, going back certainly to the Trump administration. So I get Matt, maybe you can walk us through sort of a basic overview of how things stand now after some of the recent actions from Congress a few days ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sure, there's been a lot of coverage of this, but let's just give the cliff notes version. Yeah, this really does go back to that, to the Trump administration. President Trump adopted an executive order that would have banned TikTok. He since now reversed his position on that. President Biden, at the beginning of his term reverse President Trump on that. And so that was the status quo for most of these four years of President Biden's term until March of last year, when when suddenly TikTok found itself in the spotlight. And you might remember that very very difficult hearing that that showed you Ceo TikTok CEO had before the House of Representatives when you really got torn into by you know, on a bipartisan basis about concerns about data privacy and potential propaganda from the company. But then after that hearing, there was you know, as as often happens in Congress, very little nothing, nothing happens. That all changed thought sort of suddenly this year in March March seventh, the House Committee focused on this passed a bill by a fifty to zero vote. That just doesn't happen in Congress. But then you know, there was a real question of whether President Biden wanted to sign a TikTok ban during an election year, and the Democrats control the Senate, so it really looked to me like this was going to slow down and be something that where you see potential action after the US selection. Well that changed in you know, a couple of weeks ago, about nine days ago, when House Speaker Mike Johnson decided to attach this bill to the Ukraine aid package, the Foreign Aid package and tie them all into one package that was effectively must pass for the Democrats. So suddenly all the positive signals that President Biden had given about this, he really had no choice but to support this because he needed this foreign aid to get through. So it cleared the House again on April twentieth by three hundred and sixty to fifty eight vote, and then the Senate cleared it seventy nine to eighteen on April twenty third, less than a week ago. April twenty fourth, President Biden signed the bill into law. So that's where we are. After a lot of noise around the issue and then what looked like nothing, all of a sudden, we've reached the end of the road here in the US in terms of passing. It's now become law.
Speaker 2: So what exactly does the law do? Can you give some sort of.
Speaker 1: Yea, let's give just an overview of that. So it's called the Protecting Americans from Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications APT And the basic way this operates is that it says that companies can't provide services to distribute, maintain, or update what a defined term a foreign adversary controlled app and that means you can't put it in your app store, for updates, for maintenance, for distribution, you can't web host it anymore. And for any of these foreign adversary controlled apps, and that is in part defined to be any app that is controlled indirectly or directly by byte Dance or TikTok. And so if a company were to keep the app and its web store or to host it after the deadlines in this law, they're at risk of severe financial penalties. The math adds up very quickly if the company were to take on that risk. So the key deadlines are two hundred and seventy days from passage, which takes us to January nineteenth, the day before the inauguration as it is. And then if there's progress made to it for a divestiture basically TikTok or selling it to someone else, the president can give another ninety days for those negotiations to play out for a divestiture to be complete. Okay, So that's the basic position the company finds itself in now. If TikTok doesn't divest by January nineteenth, or maybe April nineteenth, if they get that extension, we effectively have a ban. No company can can web host it or carry it in its app store to make it available for users. So TikTok now has two paths going forward. One you can try to get that law overturned in court, or it can affect a divestiture. So I'm going to dive into both of those two options in a minute. But before we do, since we're laying out the legal risks and we've done it on the US side, Tamlin, I want to turn to you to talk about the legal risks in the EU. Is there any movement to ban TikTok in Europe? And if not, why not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, Matt so, and short answer is that there does not currently seem to be any movements in the EU to ban TikTok. That's not to say that regulators are really thrilled with the app. In fact, it's not allowed on the work devices of European Commission employees. So clearly some of the concerns that are I think motivating that movement in the US are also relevant here. So I think the reason the regulators don't see them on board with a ban is that, unlike in the US, the EU does have regulations impact that, if wielded aggressively, could really curb a lot of those potential negative impacts of the app. So I'll focus on three. So the first is the Digital Services Act of the DSA. Now, this is a new content moderation on regulation aimed at social media that took effect last August. Now, some of the new rules that large platforms, and TikTok has been designated a large platform subject to these rules. Now, some of the things that they must comply with are with respect to risk assessments and risk integation measures. So, for instance, TikTok needs to do an annual assessment to determine what are some of the risks of people using the app. And also it's probably worth noting that sort of addictive uses, especially for younger users, is definitely qualifies as a risk. And then it's going to have to show that it's putting in place in NEGA nation measures to assess these risks. And if it doesn't do so in a manner that regulators regulators think is appropriate, then maximum fines can be six percent of byteedances animal revenue. Now GDPR is another overhang. Now, the General Data Production Regulator regulation actually took effect back in twenty eighteen, but it wasn't until September of last year that TikTok got its first taste of enforcement. I mean that came with a three hundred and forty five million euro fine there was in relation to Howard's handling data and again mostly data of younger users. There's still pending investigations under GDPR related to TikTok's data practices, and I think a particular one to know here is looking at whether it is sending user data to China. Now, ultimately this could result and ruling forbidding TikTok from transferring on user EU user data outside of to China, and this could result in a significant pine of four percent of revenues. Now, the Digital Markets Act is the last one. Now TikTok has been named the gatekeeper under the DNA, which is sweeping new competition law that took effect in March. Now. I don't think the DMA itself poses a significant risk to TikTok, at least not on the level of DSA or GDPR. But what it is is the potential overcame overhang for any company that might be interested in buying the app if Bits does decide to divest. I think this is particularly true for any other d M a gatekeeper, and a list of those gatekeepers includes Apple, Amazon, Meta Alphabet, and Microsoft. So I think for now politicians in the EU are at least cautiously optimistic that there's this regulatory scheme in place that can counter TikTok's influence without needing to resort to a band.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. It's definitely a very different legal environment there since since the US hasn't been able to pass any of the laws that the EU has. There was news the other day of a potential ban in on a reward system associated with TikTok Light, and any color on what that is about and resolution there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, yeah.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: TikTok Light was a service that TikTok launched a few weeks ago in some markets in the including in Spain and France. Now, the service allowed users to earn points for performing certain tasks on TikTok, so for instance, by watching videos or engaging with content or inviting prints of the app. Now, the European Commission pretty quickly sounded the alarm. I'm particularly a concern over the potential addictiveness given that the rewards were being offered, and how this might encourage younger users again to use the app. So I asked TikTok for TikTok's pre launch risk assessment and risk mitigation reports. So it asked for that, and then on April twenty second, it launched a formal probe into TikTok Light, and just a few days later on TikTok said it was going to withdraw tick tout Light from those markets. So I think we really did have swift resolution on that, and I think you regulators will probably a bit small gap for that, okay.
Speaker 1: So a lot of the concern in the US has been that TikTok's owner, byte Dance, could be forced to turn over sensitive user data if it was requested to do so by the Chinese government, since byt Dance is located in China, and obviously Europe is even more cautious about sensitive user data than the US has been. Can more, Can you give us more color on how that is being handled over there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And this goes back to the GDPR which I mentioned earlier now and now under GVR. Under GDPR there are really tight rules on where EU user data can be transferred, and essentially any country that the data does go to has to be able to demonstrate that it has the equivalent data protection of an EU member state. I mean, I think it's worth noting here that the US actually cannot meet that standard, and that's why every few years we have this scramble looking for a new policy that's going to allow that that uninterrupted trans atlantic data flows despite the US inadequacy here. Now that that pending inquiry into TikTok's potential transfer of China could result in something similar to what we've seen there now. First part, TikTok has been heavily investing in building data centers in Europe so that it wouldn't need to transfer any use EU user data abroad, and it also proactively says that it's not going to let employees located in China have access to EU user data. I think the question is going to come down to whether data privacy regulators are going to take that promise at base value when there's this sort of existing Chinese law that my allow them access to it. I think there's definitely a reason to be skeptical that that that argument is going to hold, But I think we we are going to have to wait and see how that develops.
Speaker 3: Got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So so it sounds like for now, before we bring man deep into this, it does sound like EU would would like to stick with with the regulatory path if they can, rather than a ban, although you know, it's it's easy to imagine sort of just to follow on. Okay, you ban, we ban, you know, follow on and any any sense you could see that that changing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think going back to that TikTok light episode, I think it's kind of on this scores that the EU is in a different position than the e US. Now, regulators here again have done the legwork to enact those measures that can and I think will be used as a cudgel against TikTok. Now, a ban on TikTok would certainly, I think be a political had a peg and then you have to take an account. But I think younger voters in Europe can go to the polls a little bit more frequently than younger voters in the US. So I think as of now, EU lawmakers will sort of do everything they can to avoid taking the drastic action of the ban unless it's really the only possibility. Yeah. So that's I guess how things are currently setting out. But I want to bring men deep in here to talk sort of the business side. So, Mandy, if a US ban were to happen, who do you think benefits the most and why?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, one of the things that's very obvious with the way social media time split is in the US is, you know, with TikTok, especially when it comes to short form video content, the average daily user time spend is close to ninety four minutes. And you contrast that with you two around seventy nine minutes and Instagram close to fifty four, and then Snap and others. It's there are only four or five places you could go to consume social media content. And from that perspective, I mean, all these companies will stand to benefit. I don't think there is like one company where all the users will end up moving to. And you have to remember with a TikTok, a lot of the original content starts there and then it shows up on Instagram and other platforms, YouTube shorts, and so the real question is where do the creators go. You know, if TikTok is banned, which platform do they curate this content on? And then what is the policy of that platform in terms of you know, letting that content flow through to their competitive So that is TBD because clearly that is still operating in a lot of the creators that are on the platform are still finding a ton of engagement on TikTok and then on other platforms as the content flows through. So I answer a question, all the others will stand to benefit, notably Snapchat because of its size. So you know, when you think about two to five minutes a day per user, it will be the percentage stems the impact would be the most noticeable on a platform like.
Speaker 2: Snap Okay, great, thanks for that. And then I guess a kind of related question is you have any thoughts on valuation if there might be sort of potential bios And I guess, going back to that ninety four minutes, I would think a lot of that might be driven by that algorithm. In my understanding, is good by Dancers mooted the idea of maybe selling without algorithm, So there's any way to assess valuation with and maybe without the algorithm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, I mean you have to look at what has transpired in the last two years. And I think when TikTok's testimony started in the Congress, they kept saying that, you know, we have this project Texas, which was in that decoupling the US operations from the parent and so all the data and the algorithm should be decoupled. But that's not what it seems to be. I mean, given what we have heard so far from the parent company, one they don't like the idea of divesting the aset, and the other it sounds like the decoupling didn't take place in Folk. So when you think about that aspect that you know, the operations aren't fully decoupled. And for a prospective buyer to buy this asset just for the app and you know, the current data and not knowing how to recommend content or what else could be there, that is you know, very important for the data day operations. You have to apply a discount to the market multiples, And the closest comp I would say is the Twitter deal elon Mask acquisition at forty four billion, and that was probably at the high end in terms of multiple almost you know, seven times forward sales tv DO sales. So if you were to apply something like that to TikTok, based on our estimates, TikTok's revenue is less than ten billion and it's less than ten percent of the overall by dance revenue. So with that kind of discount, our original valuation was around forty billion, but then we kept lowering it because of the chance that you know, the app may be ban and any prospective buyer may not be able to retain that sort of engagement that they currently have because the algorithm goes away. So when you apply that discount, you come closer to more around thirty billion in value, and you can actually undo the maths using ev per user based on where the current market multiples are for slamp interest in you know, some of the competitors. I mean, obviously for Meta it's much higher than the others, But if you were to look at the ev per user for the other competitors and use the media and you would come close to the thirty billion number that I mentioned. So that's evaluation minus the algorithm. Obviously you can apply a steeper discount, but that's the framework we've been using.
Speaker 1: Got it? Got it? Mandy's help? Well, and can can you say a little bit more on potential buyers that you would think would be most likely to take a look.
Speaker 3: I mean, look the ones that would make the best use of the app or your Internet platforms the walled garden companies that currently have the you know, the dominant share, whether it's your Amazon, your Meta, your Google, and probably more so for the companies that currently don't have a social media asset. So a microsoftware in Amazon may uh look a lot better from that sense than a Meta or for the matter, in Alphabet and uh, you know, a company like Oracle or Salesforce, even if they end up buying it at a steep discount, you could argue because it's not core to their overall business. Like, an acquisition of this size always puts a lot of pressure in terms of you know, ROI and what you can show around revenue synergies. And I think it will be hard for them to justify it to their shoulders spending something off the order of this for buying a very unique asset. But given the complications around the algorithm and the data, I think it's still a pretty large acquisition for them.
Speaker 2: Got it Yeah, Yeah, I guess this is a bit of an anti trust concern, But there's also a separate legal review of a got such a Do you look at that as a distinct risk?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's one of the most puzzling things from a legal perspective as you try to figure this out in terms of timing, as Mandeep walks through potential buyers, TikTok's not only going to have a legal case against this, that's one track, but there's also a legal review of that acquisition leaving uside China in the US itself, and a lot of these big tech names as potential acquirers are going to you know, raise concerns with anti trust regulators and that process. And we talked about this process. We have until January nineteenth is two hundred and seventy days. You know, that process by itself can can take at least that or longer in the typical scenario as the DOJ or the FTC looks to review these things. So that's one of the puzzles about how this fits together and whether they can get anti trust clearance within the within the timeline. And you know, probably the best way to do that is to avoid these sort of big tech names that would raise the most concerned with regulators. But it's still tight no matter what. And all that, as we said, is leaving aside kind of as in its potential m and a review and the fact that it may simply say no, at least with respect to the algorithm. So there's a real subct and kind of beyond what we can cover today without knowing the potential buyer. But there's a big difficult legal problem in terms of just getting the antitrust review in the US as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you outline that, and it looks like a kind of huge can of worms if you do divest. So if you're by dance, why not just if you're going to try your chances in core, why not just try your chances import and sue over the I guess legitimacy of this law. And I think they've they've said that they'll they'll sue. What are their chances and how's that.
Speaker 3: Going to look?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think that is going to be the main event for for the near term here is. I do think they have said that they're going to sue. Honestly, I'm a little bit surprised they have ensued yet, but I expected to see it. I expect to see it very soon. I would not be surprised at all to see it filed this week. We know where that lawsuit will be filed. They will be filed in the d C Circuit Court of Appeals because the law itself limits TikTok's options. It says, you can only this court has exclusive jurisdiction to challenges to this law, so we know where it's going. And in the DC Circuit is sometimes called the second most important court in the United States. It takes more cases challenging government action than any others, so they're they're very familiar with this sort of dispute, although it's rare that it's constitutional. Usually it's an agency looking at a record and deciding whether it was appropriate or not. But this is a court seven Democrat appointed active judges for Republican active judges. Sending it to the d C Circuit does make TikTok's case a little bit more difficult, I think, and I think we'll dive in a little bit more into the details of the case, but you know, I think TikTok starts as an underdog here before the d C's Circuit. It has a serious case from the First Amendment perspective, there's no question about that. But at the end of the day, I think there's there's ultimately going to be deference to the federal government on national security questions that is difficult for the company to overcome. And so with that and the potential even for a review to the Supreme Court that could also be deferential on questions of national security, I put it, you know, TikTok. TikTok's starting is the underdog in this court. The federal government wins most of the cases that go before it. As I said, about half of the DC's Circuit's cases involve the federal government. The federal government wins about about two thirds of those. So I start with TikTok is an underdog.
Speaker 2: Here, walk me through what that person in argument that you expected to make is going to be.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. So that's going to be the you know, the the core argument is going to be both It's going to be presented by both TikTok and its users that this this really infringes our free speech rights here, this is effectively a ban. It's shutting down a platform, you know, one of the most important speech platforms in the United States today with it has you know, one hundred and fifty hundred and seventy million US users on it. And if it's a serves as effectively a band, that's a major disruption in free speech rights. So they're going to make that case. They're also going to bring in a bill of a tainder argument, I suspect, and that is because the lawn specifically singles out Byte Dance and Take Tucking names them in this legislation. And so you know, there there is this clause in the constitution that's rarely used because companies are rarely named in federal laws. But but basically it says you can't single out a company for punishment without giving them due process. And so generally laws are written, you know, broadly to apply across an industry, for example, not to single out a company and say, you know, we're going after you. And so I think I think that that will be the second challenge they'll bring.
Speaker 2: I don't remember a single delved tender case from my com law class, So let's focus on that first amendment side. So that's I think most likely going to be the strongest argument. And what work kind of specifically, how are they can raise that they're going to be in a position put themselves in the shoes of the users?
Speaker 1: Yep, I think it's going to be both. You know, TikTok's voice itself is being silenced. TikTok is a US company, Byteedances is the one that's located in China, and TikTok itself is being shut you know, it's you can't own this app, you can't speak through this app anymore. So there's a direct impact on the US company, there's a direct impact on the users. And I, you know, I think the government might come in and say, look, this is all we're regulating conduct, just ownership of the app. It's like broadcast licenses can't be owned by foreign companies. It's not speech at all. I don't think that will work. When you look at some of the president here, Montana's TikTok ban, they the government tried tried to make a similar argument, and the Court said, no, this is a serious First Amendment issue. We have to look at it as a First Amendment concern. When President Trump banned we chat because again of national security concerns, again the court reached the First Amendment questions and said, look, this is it's basically going to ask whether there is an important governmental interest to do that, and whether this regulation is tailored properly to serve that interest. Does it burden substantially more speech than necessary. And I think if the US has a vulnerability, it's there that this this passed so quickly that Congress really didn't have a lot of time to build a record analyzing alternatives and and and really building the record of the risk here. And so there is some vulnerability there. This court is is what its core mission is, is really asking did the government look at the evidence properly? And and and here you know, there's not that much evidence that's public, and there's not much evidence of of looking at at balancing it. So I think there's some vulnerability there. But at the end of the day, this is Congress acting. This isn't just the president trying to fit within some old laws to try to do it. This isn't an agency trying to squeeze power in the authority, you know, in pre existing authority. This is Congress directly looking at a national security risk and saying we need to make a predictive judgment that there's risk here. That's a really hard thing for three unelected judges who don't know anything about national security to second guests. And I think you need to see a really compelling First Amendment argument to overcome that. As a practical matter, and so I'm not sure that that TikTok can get there.
Speaker 2: I guess, just backing up a little bit, how is this going to be following for? Is this going to be a trol Are they going to be taking a preliminary injunction? How's TikTok and canons?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a great question. I mean, the timing is sort of the China we referred to it earlier on the anti trust side. The timing is so tight here January nineteenth, you know, the effective ban goes into place. The DC circuit typically takes more than a year to you know, get to a final decision. It takes one hundred and fifty days after argument typically to decide cases. So TikTok right now is huddled together trying to put together a strategy to get this reviewed, maybe to be able to go to the Supreme Court, all before January nineteenth.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: The question, I think it has two options right now. Procedurally. One it could go in and say we need to stay or a preliminary injunction, We need you Court to hit pause on that January nineteenth date and make that not apply anymore. Or two they say we got to move fast. You got to go much faster than you typically do. You need to expedite this case, and we need a decision by I don't know, October or something like that, And so to me, I think that's the more likely scenario. The DC Circuit, when it grants stays or preliminary injunctions, it typically does it when there's like five days before a deadline, not when there's two hundred and seventy days before a deadline. So to me, I think a requesting a stay of Congress's timelines is going to be a heavy lift. And I don't know that they want to start with the loss right out of the gate on that. So if I were TikTok, I would probably try to go that route, but ask the court to expedite this. Let's set a briefing schedule that gives us still time to if we lose before the d C Circuit, go ahead and file with the Supreme Court and try to get some sort of check or a pause on it there. So that's what I think is most likely the reason. I think they probably haven't filed yet. And it's sort of surprising because there is such urgency here, But the DC Circuit every thirty days changes the motion panel that reviews these these preliminary requests, and you can kind of take a look at see who what three judges are deciding those. I suspect it could be that TikTok doesn't love the April panel that's deciding those right now and wants to wait and see, Okay, what are we going to get in May we might have a better set of three judges to look at our early requests there. So I expect as soon as you see them to file this lawsuit in probably in the next week. You're also going to see that separate procedural request that's going to give us a much better sense at the timing.
Speaker 2: I guess. Just actually one final question, Mayanda, and would TikTok's chances improve in your estimation if they were able to get to that the Supreme Court. You sort of noted the win record for the government at the DC Circuit, but yeah, for a little bit more favorable.
Speaker 1: To It's it's a great question, and it's it's hard to know. My inclination is I think if the DC Circuits were to rule for we're it's a rule for TikTok. I think it's almost certain that that the U. S. Supreme Court would take up the case. All Supreme Court review is discretionary. They could just say, no, we don't we like what you did below at the d C Circuit. We don't even need to take this case. I think it if the d C Circuit, you know, strikes down Congress's law on First Amendment grounds, we definitely have a Supreme Court battle. Then that's probably going to slow everything down for a couple of years, because that's going to effectively hit pause on all of this. If the d C Circuit rules for the federal government, as I think they will, I'm not sure that the Supreme Court is going to to feel the need to take it up. And so I think there's a real possibility that the d C Circuit by the end of this year upholds this law and the Supreme Court gets a chance to take a look and say do we take it or not. I'm not sure they would. I think they might say, look that that decision from the d C Circuit, you know, is reasonable, and we don't need to to take it up as well. So I think that's sort of the big picture on it. So I think with that, if there are no other questions. I think we can, I think we can lead it. There that gives an overview of where TikTok stands both in the in the U. S.
Speaker 3: And EU.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. If you want to read more of our research, please visit BI laws on the Bloomberg Terminal.
Speaker 3: Thanks