Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong Show, Katty Armstrong and Jettie and He.
Speaker 2: Arm them from studio SNS, A dim light lit room deep with them, the Bowels, the Armstrong in Getty Communications compound the Bowels.
Speaker 1: I tell you and say, today we're toiling. Under the title of the show.
Speaker 3: The shadow of Iran looms over, China talks or wait to say, the shadow of.
Speaker 1: China talks looms over.
Speaker 3: I can't remember it, there are shadows or if you prefer Is anybody outside the media thinking about the Hana virus?
Speaker 1: No kidding, Holy craps. Is that like driven by the viewer slash listeners? Or is it entirely just can't talking head driven? I do not know. I've never been more confused about a news story, with these sorts of legs day ten or whatever it is of it leading every newscast I see, and you're always saying, experts emphasize there is nothing to worry about. Yeah, that's what you've said for ten days. So what are we doing? Right? I mean, like if I gathered the kids in the living room every night and said, okay, God that everybody around to say it, there's nothing to worry about. Okay, then we'll just go back to what are you wit then late? You don't need to be afraid every night? Yeah, well, weird, a little weird, and we ought to jump on the headline that came just before we got on the air with inflation up. Look at these headlines from at least for the publications I got in front of me talking about inflation highest in three years, Washington Post, New York Times inflation shot up, Wall Street Journal, inflation sword, Financial Times inflation jumps. Those are all bad headlines about inflation. Whoops. You don't want it to be jumping, soaring, shooting up or reaching highest rate.
Speaker 3: I'm anti surging as well. Yes, that's bad too, as not a good wow boy.
Speaker 1: Three point eight percent nothing compared to the heights of COVID obviously, but and it's forty percent of it was the fact that energy prices are up because of the war, which is not surprising. But that will trickle out into the rest of the economy, they say in coming months. Since every thing gets transported on something that uses usually diesel, which I paid last night in my diesel truck. Seven sixty eight for a gallon per gallon of diesel. It's gonna hit eight dollars soon anyway, it says the Wall Street Journal, products from lipstick to golf balls will be more expensive. Oh man, it's an odd.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna start stealing them out of other guys bags or some lipstick lipstick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, from lipstick to golf balls. Wow. But yeah, why wouldn't everything go up because every every truck filling up hauling stuff around is having to put in that, especially in California, really expensive diesel. And anyway, little inflation added on to the stew of everything going on. That's fun.
Speaker 3: Well, back to the who's casting a shadow over what thing? Let's let's finish this up with their on. They're not negotiating any good faith.
Speaker 1: Whatever. The next thing is, do the next thing? Why is there a next thing? Let's do it? So Trump comes out yesterday you know what I mean, or I guess it was the night before, and I just I got their proposal. I rejected, you know, wholeheartedly. That too bad. It's not stupid, but it's stupid. It's not even worth talking about. Yesterday called it a piece plan. It's a piece of garbage. Well then the details come out. Good God, I mean that is some serious putting a thumb on somebody's eye. Yeah, here's our proposal. You pay for everything you broke, we get to continue to hang on to the straight up horror moves, and we're gonna keep trying to get a nuclear weapon, and we get Florida, the nice half. What do you think of that? I mean, that is like our joking proposal of selling a car, where one side comes in says, I'll give you a zero dollars. No, no, no, you're gonna take my car and give me money and I get your Entamesolete but your wife? Right? Wait, wait, are we seem to be really far apart on this deal? Negotiations are ongoing, so I don't know. Trump has done a lot of deals in his life. I would think he would realize when he's negotiating with somebody who's not the least bit serious.
Speaker 3: Right, right, is he assembling firepower consolidating support among the Gulf States?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I've given up guessing it's just dragging on and on and on.
Speaker 3: The fake ceasefire, although we've ceased firing has gone on now longer than the war part of it with nothing settled.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I was watching Mark Kelly, who the Demorats have decided, bald headed former astronaut from Arizona. Don't you know they've decided he's the go to guy. He radiates masculinity and American thiss or something or other.
Speaker 1: He can't criticize him because his wife got shot. Yeah, I can a sorry about your wife. That was horrible.
Speaker 3: But he was on Morning Joe Today, which I uncharacteristically watched a couple of minutes of, and he came off as blatantly anti American success. It was just another reminder that if they tie Trump to America's success on any front, any front economically, militarily, just culturally, anything, then they hate that and want it to fail, even if it's the United States military, even if it's opening the strait. Just a partisanship has now killed patriotism, at least on the left, and let's not do that on the right.
Speaker 1: By the way, I would not that. So what do you think Iran is up to? If you respond to a proposal with yeah, how about you pay for everything that you broke reparations and we keep the straight which we didn't have before the war, so we come out of it better than we went into it. What do you think they're up to?
Speaker 3: You know, Iranians are notoriously brutal negotiators.
Speaker 1: They love it, they revel in it. They want to haggle about everything.
Speaker 3: Either they're just trying to peg the deal making way over here so that if they come over a little bit it seems like a lot. Or it's simply the hardliners, and this is probably a more likely explanation. It's the hardliners who think we can take this pain way longer than the electorate in the United States will, and they will turn on Trump, and Trump will head for the exit and we will be in fine shape and.
Speaker 1: Hold onto our power. Yeah, gonna wait it out. I'm with the analysts who believe that Iran things were in a worse situation than they are. Okay, you got up the pressure up, the ante, turn the screws. Well, if you leave things as they are, they may be right. We get closer to the midterm election, it's summer and gases. I don't know what y'all are paying for out there. I know my parents are horrified that it might hit four dollars where they live. In Kansas. But whatever you're paying for gas. I mean, Trump's approval ratings are in the twenties. You know, that sort of thing could easily happen if we just keep continue this stalemate, and Iran might be right that he decides this is not worth it, This is not doing any good. I think it was foolhardy back in the day. We will stop too soon. The only thing you can do to change that equation, like you said, is change the facts on the ground, start bombing the but Jesus out of them now it looks like things are worse for you than I Yeah, how do you like that? Weird beards? Yeah, bastards. Also, the news story that broke today that the UAE has been bombing Iran secretly, not bragging about it. Things have been getting bombed, nobody knew what it was. Turns out at the it's the UAE. But goad, dang it. What a what a terrible situation. Any who, with inflation where it is this inflation news that's gonna get a lot of people's attention. And then for the media, you're talking about that roots against America, They're gonna love the inflation story. Oh yeah, yeah, they're gonna be all over it.
Speaker 3: You know, if you want to meet with Shijin Pang Donald Jay and then settle whatever you can settle. Great, But the minute Air Force one's tires leave the tarmac leave the runway, you deferitely don't take off from the tarmac. I guess as soon as they leave the runway, you gotta give the order. We've got to change the math here because it's it is a stalemate as it stands. It could be a non stalemate in about six hours if again we turn the screws.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is some. That's some response, though, I mean that is that is the most that's the least good faith bargaining I've ever heard of ever. Yeah, where did I read?
Speaker 3: I can't remember the precise wording of it, but it's stuck with me that the greatest sin, or the greatest mistake, is to hit softly. If you're going to hit somebody, hit them, don't hit softly. All you've done is invite aggressions.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'm offering you to buy your house, and then they come back with now you're gonna you're gonna give me this much for this house and the house I'm buying. Yes, you're buying both my houses. Right, and I get to sleep with your wife and it's always right and all these deals, just like with the car. Yes, I get to sleep with your wife. If I don't want to sleep with your wife, she's not really my type. You're sleeping with my wife? What if she doesn't want to? In my faith? We can't make our women do what we want in your faith. That's funny. Okay, we should start the show officially. I'm Jack Armstrong, he's Joe Getty. This it is Tuesday, May twelfth. How do you get to be May twelfth? There twenty twenty six were Armstrong and getting We approve of this program.
Speaker 3: Let's be in then officially according to the FCC rules and regulations, here we go at mark.
Speaker 4: So when I'm mayor, my plan is, first three weeks, signs up across the city. No more nakedness, no more drug use, no more robbing, no worse it, no more burning dogs in history, no more dog abuse.
Speaker 1: What the hell is that?
Speaker 3: That's Spencer Pratt talking about LA He's going to enforce the law. To quote the hot selling Armstrong and Getty t shirt at the Armstrong and Getty store, Armstrong and getty gut dot com. Wow, that's an attention getter. Yeah, he's executive producer. Hanson quoted a cop he knows in I think it was the La area. It might have been San Diego. It doesn't matter because San Diego is falling apart too, which is tragic. But who said there's one junkie gal. I've seen naked more than I've seen my wife naked.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, nudity and public sex. Not to mention the pit bulls running wild and shooting up in the streets and utter disregard for the law.
Speaker 1: It's you know, you told the story yesterday. They wouldn't give you the syringe, just the syringe part at the pharmacy, to give your son medicine down the street to hand out needles to junkies. Somebody blanking explain that to me. That's Cali Unicorneo logic, right. I noticed pulling into the radio station today driving by the drug addicts. Let them get up early. You got to admire there, you know, willing to take on the day sums up by them up. Huh, yolo. You only live once since get up and get after it.
Speaker 3: I got to the radio ranch for time was at five o'clock in the morning, and uh, a young bicyclist pedaled right by me. It was an early early bike ride. I admire his commitment to exercises. He's oddly dressed for a you know, a road bicyclist, but teach their own I admire of effect that they Why do they get up so early?
Speaker 1: They're still up, They're still up there. They're meeting up early. Yeah, okay, they're they're going home to bed home, quote unquote tent. Anyway, we got more of the headlines that are going on here, and then we'll get into some of the story. Love the way John Stewart on The Daily Show last night handled the whole freaking haunted thing. He, like us, can't understand the coverage of this story, the never ending there's nothing there, nothing is happening. Well, then why are we talking about it?
Speaker 3: Very weird health the healthy people who are not at risk had been brought to Nebraska, whether they.
Speaker 1: Are in isolation because we keep reporting on it. Right. Uh, So we got a lot more of the way stay here. I just saw this inside the business headline CBS Snooze boss Barry Weiss blindsided sixty Minutes icon Leslie Stall giving that Net and Yahoo interviewed to Major Garrett, which was kind of surprising. I'd ever seen Major Garrett. I didn't even know he was part of sixty Minutes. He had the big lead story Sunday Night. I thought that was a good interview. Yeah, it was good. I thought he was fair, asked the right questions. I was surprised by the tone of it. And he's not one hundred and fifty. No, he might be sixty, but that's young by sixty minute standards.
Speaker 3: We have some clips of that we got to play later on the show. It was pretty interesting, pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: Here's my favorite headline and I'll let you run with it. California mayor charged with working for Chinese government. We gotta do that story. It's amazing We got a mayor in a California city. It was actually an employee of the Communist Party of China. Wow. Nice.
Speaker 3: So we touched on the fact that the President said the Hran ceasefire agreement is on life support with about a one percent chance to live. We'll play you that audio too.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: They're still covering the haunt of virus at the Free Press. We actually got a really good email from somebody saying, you know this strain, She said, I'm not worried about it.
Speaker 1: We'll read some of it later. This strain is not good because a lot of people were exposed to it. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Clearly it's not COVID like, but it's a story worth covering, not for like a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, oh, let's.
Speaker 3: See a weeks ago, the shooter at the correspondence dinner just pleaded not guilty in federal court.
Speaker 1: Good luck with that, chum. Let's see you got Oh.
Speaker 3: President Trump endorsed the temporary suspension of the federal gas tax in an interview Monday.
Speaker 1: That'd be you're probably wondering, like I did, how much that is? So I chet GPT did. It's about eighteen cents a gallon for your regular gas and something like twenty two to twenty three cents a gallon for your diesel. How much you had noticed that? I don't know, because by next week, whatever you're buying is probably going to be eighteen to twenty three sense more expensive. Did you know that that brings in two billion dollars a month to the federal government. That tax? That's away money. Yeah, yeah, so what that would be, uh dollars sixty sould be sixteen dollars for a twenty dollars tank, Is that right?
Speaker 3: No, it's eighteen cents per gallon. Right, So you do the math. You're good at math.
Speaker 1: Well, it save you a little money anyway, okay, forty I bought a cup of coffee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, a nice cup of coffee, would like simocha in it.
Speaker 1: Virginia Democrats filed an emergency appeal with the US Supreme Court asking it to halt the Virginia Supreme Court ruling.
Speaker 3: This struck down their redistricting measure. It's amazing the rhetoric that's flying around over this. And god, you know, Trump does play fast and loose with some of the institutions of the country in the way I don't like.
Speaker 1: But the Democrats are systematically tearing down respect for all of the important institutions in the country, including the Supreme Court, over and over again. What they're saying about the Virginia Supreme Court ruling is utterly, utterly dishonest, saying the out of control court go ahead, sorry, enjoying my delicious coffee, You're not gonna have money for it soon. Unless they cut the gas tacks. But they're saying the Supreme Court's out of control and it's a Republican court and they didn't want us to be able to they fixed the election. Supreme Court just said no, if there's a procedure for mending the constitution, you guys didn't follow it. You got to do it right, that's it. Yeah, they have their own constitution with their own rules, just like every other state. Uh. I like that. The coverage has now switched to the national coverages now switched to jerrymanderings, out of control. We need to put an end to it. You were fine with it up until last week when the Democrats it looked like they were going to get the upper hand and all the jerry mandering. Then when it switch to the Republicans are going to come out like ten seats ahead. It looks like currently and the whole jerrymandering wars. Now all of a sudden, jerry mandering is bad again. And everybody he's so transparent. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Speaking of which, here's one of those headlines you love. Supreme Court overturns dismissal of Alabama redistricting map.
Speaker 1: So which one don't know? I don't know either negates the rejection of the stay which was overturned. Yes, we got more on the way and we'll try to explain it to you to stay here, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 5: The war with Iran, of course, looms large over this meeting, but trade is arguably the top issue on the agenda. A lot has changed since the last time Presidents Trump and She met face to face in October in South Korea, but the big issues are largely the same, Trade and technology, Taiwan and the fentanyl crisis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and everybody says that Iran is going to play a big role, which is unfortunate because I was looking forward to what Trump and She would come up with about ai with the discussion. Be like, but I think Iran is going to be front and center.
Speaker 3: Where do you think the pressure is going to come from the Iran conflict? Is China going to be Does China see it as an advantage? We can really press Trump because he's on the ropes with Iran. I don't know that's Trump thinking they're desperate for the oil. Pundits on both sides of that, that she is liking US wearing down our military stockpile and being distracted. On the other hand, they get like all their energy is imported and eighty percent of it or something like that comes from the straight Oh horror moves.
Speaker 1: So right right? Yeah, interesting, huh go on.
Speaker 5: Michael White House official says more than a dozen business leaders, including several tech executives, will join President Trump in Beijing Thursday and Friday when he meets with President she The list includes Tesla's CEO Elon Musk, Boeing CEO Kelly Ortberg, and outgoing Apple CEO Tim Cook. Black Rock CEO Larry Fink is also set to attend well, along with the chief ex executives of Goldman, Sacks, MasterCard, Visa, and several others, putting a major emphasis on landing a new trade deal with China.
Speaker 3: It's really quite the gallery of CEOs that are going over with Trump. I kind of like it as a flex. I wonder what those meetings are like.
Speaker 1: Do they actually, like, get anything accomplished in those meetings or is everything accomplished behind the scenes. Because he got two old men who don't speak each other's language, listening to interpreters all day long, I just can't imagine much happening.
Speaker 3: Well, she's the decision maker, and Trump is to a large extent. Although the problem with she is how many times is he committed to buy a zillion American soybeans or whatnot?
Speaker 1: He just doesn't. Yeah, I don't know. We'll have to see stop sending his ventanyl, stop stealing all our technology, stop hacking into our businesses, stop sending spies.
Speaker 3: Of course, that you know, we are at such a disadvantage as an open society versus not only a closed dish society, but an omnipresent, all powerful surveillance state.
Speaker 1: It's a tough tough fight for us to mention the now former mayor of Arcadia, which is a suburb of la who turned out to be working for the Chinese Communist Party. She resigned yesterday, but she's been on the city council and involved in everything in a suburb of Los Angeles for years. Yeah, reporting directly back to President She and spreading propaganda best she could about how there's not actually slaves and the Wigers aren't being abused in all this different sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, trying to whip up Chinese Americans to hate America and remember the motherland. Yeah, And the point was made, and it was a great one. I was reminded of this last night that there have been stories about like small town or smallish town governors who seem to be up in comers.
Speaker 1: Like they're being talked about for maybe Congress. Someday. The Chinese will target you at that point in your career, like Eric Swallwell when Feng Feng was doing the bing bong with him.
Speaker 3: He was not a powerful man at all, but he was an up and comer. So that there America is lousy with Chinese spies.
Speaker 1: I bet they get the word fast too. If it's a guy that has a reputation for you can send it an attractive woman at him and right throw him off his game pretty easily, right.
Speaker 3: I told this story the other day to somebody about my first job out of college. It was in the convention and visitors industry, and the first trip I made with my boss. He said, Look, they may like send food or booze or whatever, or even like a girl up to your room. He said, don't start down that road, because it will happen. Really yeah, because they they even at your level. Oh, I know, it was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It didn't. It didn't happen. By the way, honey, you absolutely did not get you on the hook for later in case she became more important, because yeah, I think so, yeah, yeah, and ah, not for black mail either. But he warned that once you start down that road, you find yourself in some interesting positions ethically speaking, that are pretty behind your head. You mean, like that kind of interesting potion.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, indeed impossible and unpalatable, but that you know, they would have you in a position he didn't want to be in the whole point being if they could get you know, the plumbers union or the you know, association of what's it's to come to Birmingham, Alabama instead of Milwaukee or whatever, that made them tons and tons of money. So yeah, they would they would be very generous with their gifts. Anyway, what was that was speaking of? You mentioned Milwaukee? You see that guy I think he owns the Milwaukee Bucks, that billionaire.
Speaker 1: That Chinese woman. There's no mention of her being tied to China, but she was all right. She contacted him through social media just like direct message him, hey how would you like to go out? And had sex with them right away, then hits him with a yi, videotaped all that and I'm going to tell all your coworkers and your wife, and I want half of your fortune.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, thanks for reminding me why I brought that up. The whole swallow el Fang fang Chinese spice thing. And what they do, whether you're a Chinese national or an American, is they get you in a slightly compromised position. Then they inch you over the line of illegality or you know, something seriously unethical or immoral or something like that, by using the leverage of the last thing you did. So it's like nudging blackmail to the point where they sink the hook in you.
Speaker 1: Now you can't come clean. When I was in Russia, a woman approached me that was clearly a woman of the night in my fancy hotel, like in the hotel. But I don't know if that was a you know, it might just an American businessman, you know, by himself in a hotel. Seems like a good place for your hooker, right, but lonely guy with hard currency, yeah heck yeah, But certainly could have been some sort of we don't know who he is, but might as well get him compromised. That's the last thing I would do. It a millionaires. Good Lord, who knows what's gonna happen with some random Russian woman in your room? Jesus, Oh yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to picture yourself dismembered and see if your arousal doesn't subside. Oh, my shallow grave out in the woods of kirkutzkirt whatever I'm not speaking of, which, my God, remind me to tell you about the Russian soldier who was just captured by the Ukrainians. Talking about how just horrible their situation is. Oh, man, Putin is on the ropes to come.
Speaker 1: I saw some story today about some one armed guy that they had sent in a battle with two plates in his head.
Speaker 3: He got blowed up completely, and the minute he could get back on his feet, they sent him to lead a try to you know, gain another fifteen yards aground.
Speaker 1: Wow, that would suck the oh please, Yeah, some more on that war a little bit later. Anyway. So is Trump in China right now?
Speaker 3: He lifted off I believe Tuesday morning as we speak. Yes, Yeah, go see Winnie the Pooh trying to get a pot of trade. Honey, Eh, it wasn't worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But that metaphor, I am I don't know what sort of well, like you, Like you said, I don't understand what these deals with China are because they similar to dealing with a ram. They lie all the time. So you understand what having a bit handshake, we agree to only use AI for good like okay, So that one's extra stupid for sure. The trade stuff, you can make it a little better for a while. You can get them to agree to something. They'll follow through. See you follow through for a while.
Speaker 3: It's you know, it's a situation that can't be saved or you know fixed, it can just be managed.
Speaker 1: Did you see any of the most sanctimonious thing on all of television last night? Well, where all five of the late night hosts joined Stephen Colbert for his final week of broadcasting. Alma There, Jimmy Kimmel, John Oliver, Seth Myers, and a missing one. Anyway, the mainstream media is really loving that gathering and everything like that and positioning at all. And there's a lot of commentary on this last night among them just positioning at all is like them versus Trump. And NPR had the coverage about the Colbert Show going away and it being Trump the federal government cracking down him, and I didn't like that. I don't like the government going after talk show hosts for what they say as a talk shows, Jews shows or anything else now, but no mention of the fact that those shows no longer are viable. They don't make any sense financially. No, there's no reason they should. No, there's no reason if you started today, you wouldn't say, let's have a show with like five hundred employees that cost US gazillions of dollars to make every night that hardly anybody watches. Those people need to watch something late at night and there's nothing else on right, Yeah, so you wouldn't create it from scratch today if you're starting over, and no mention of that on it. And I remember when all this blew up originally, I went back and looked up the numbers. Johnny Carson way back in the day, he was like a quarter of NBC's revenue or something like that. Yeah, like just a huge, huge deal, whereas Colbert is a lose his money for the network. Why would they continue? But anyway, all the hosts got together to solidarity to stand up resistance against you know, the government's cracking down on late night talk shows. No time is cracking down on late night talk shows. That's that's what really is as sure technology and you know, other options, other things to watch. Yeah, they made the argument that across all five shows, if you include online videos, they're more impactful than Johnny Carson was at the time. But I don't even know if I believe that it's impossible to measure the impact of people clicking on YouTube videos right right, Yeah, I don't know much that means raved again, but yeah, I don't know a word from our friend's ad rough Greens. Ask any dog owner in a vets office who hears a serious diagnosis, and they all share the same feeling they would have done anything to prevent it. And that's what rough Greens is all about. Nutrition health. So rough Greens pennies a day you can give your dog what they're missing from their regular dead dog food to regular dog food that you get off the shelf, live stuff like probiotics, en zymes, omega oils plus over twenty vitamins and minerals. It's all natural, made in the United States, and you can try it out for nothing. So why not get a free jumpstart trial bag of rough Greens. Just cover the ship shipping go to Roughgreens dot com and use a discount code Armstrong.
Speaker 3: Yep, thousands dogs are feeling younger, more energetic, happier and healthier than they have in years. Your dog could be one of them. Get that free Jumpstart trial bag today and then see what you think you just covered the shipping. Go to Roughgreens dot com use that discount code Armstrong. It's r Uffgreens dot com. Rough Roughgreens dot com discount code Armstrong. Roughgreens makes any dog food better.
Speaker 1: So we will get into speaking of late night talk shows, The Daily Show making fun of the news coverage around the hauntavirus, which I couldn't agree with, John Stewart more on that, and a bunch of other news of the day stick around Armstrong didn't realize this. Trump had fifty five posts and three hours last night, holy a wide range of topics. Fifty five really all over. I mean like he was all worked up about things Obama did and Biden did, and Hillary did, and some tiktoks he'd seen, and wow, how does he have time for that? He gets all geeked up, like like an athlete before a game. I think in coke head. He's definitely not that. Yeah, he doesn't even drink coffee, but you know he's going to meet with she, and he's probably ramping himself up for this whole thing, and he's just ah, so he boasts all these different things.
Speaker 3: Speaking of which, I was tubing last night, as they used to say back in the eighties, and I came across a fantastic documentary about Bobby Keys, perhaps the greatest rock and roll sax player of all time.
Speaker 1: In fact, i'd say he is. I don't know if I've ever heard that name. Who do you play with?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: My god, everybody, everybody, the Rolling Stones, every great uh you know, Brown Sugar, Gosh, He's played on a million hit records.
Speaker 1: He's the greatest rock and roll sax player of all time.
Speaker 3: He's also a legendary partier, lifelong great friend of Keith Richards. Don't watch I'm normally very responsible about my weekday inbibing. Don't watch a documentary about one of the great part of yours in rock and roll history while you're trying to have one drink.
Speaker 1: It just it doesn't work. That's funny.
Speaker 3: It does not work. Oh man, I'll come up with list of songs for it. Anyway, here, what were you enjoying? Oh, Scotch on a Monday night. Scotch on a Monday night. There you go, Yeah, Glenn moooring g fourteen year in particular, freedom loving quote of the day, Michael. Here it is passed along by Greg in Brookhaven, Mississippi. Never had the pleasure of being in Brookhaven, dreg Maybe someday. This is a quote Jack from Zeno of Citium.
Speaker 1: You don't hear Zeno of Citium quoted enough? I don't know him or than saxophone player.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I don't know if Bobby Keyes has ever been out bet he has been a Brookave in Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Nothing is more hostile to a firm grasp of knowledge than self deception.
Speaker 1: And that whole orwell quote about the hardest thing to do is see you know, your hand right in front of your face.
Speaker 3: When a person starts being things about themselves of the world without checking whether they are true, they've slowly moved away from real knowledge. This is what he means by self deception does not always come from lying in a direct way. Often it happens quietly when someone convinces themselves that their version of events is correct, even when evidence suggests otherwise.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's a tough one. That is a tough one. Oh mail bag all day?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah drops note mail bag at Armstrong and Getty dot com. Funny note here from Anna Louisa Luddite in Sunny Lamesa My favorite recent chatbot answer. Recently I asked my free chatbot for the distance from San Diego to London. The first two times it gave me the standard miles estimated flight time with this note driving is not recommended? Is it requires crossing the Atlantic Ocean? What not recommended? About ten minutes later, I asked, did the third time it changed its mind? Now the note read driving is impossible? And she says, why did it change its mind? Right, that's an interest I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then this from a Paolo who frequently writes about AI matters and how the bots actually work, to illustrate how little chatbots actually quote unquote know and why we shouldn't be surprised when they say something stupid. Imagine you train the neural network, the technology behind modern AI systems, on the world's easiest task. You give it one number, and you want it to give you back the exact same number.
Speaker 3: If you feed at five, it should answer five. Feed at twenty seven, it should answer twenty seven. A human understands the rule almost instantly, Yeah, just repeat the number.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: A neural network does not discover that rule in the human sense. It does not suddenly realize, oh, I'm supposed to leave the number unchanged. Instead, it slowly adjusts millions or billions of tiny internal settings until its answers start looking close to the example it is seen. So if you give it, say, two fifty seven, it may respond two fifty seven point one, despite the fact you've shown it millions of examples where the correct answer was exactly the same as the input. That kind of network can get extremely close to copying the number of correctly, but no amount of training will make it perfect for every possible number.
Speaker 1: That's mind blowing. So our One More Thing podcast we did yesterday we got into all the rules that exist with the different chatbots. Yeah, and some of the interesting Some of the chatbots have just a few rules, and some of them have lots of rules about what they will say or how they're supposed to approach it, including which one was it that had no do not bring up raccoons. Was I think that's chat GPT or gremlins or gnomes unless you're specifically asked, don't talk about raccoons. What very very odd, very funny.
Speaker 3: The Armstrong You Getting One More Thing podcast from Monday, May the eleventh. Oh, speaking of which, I've got a big AI story coming out coming up. Groc is in trouble. The story posits that Chat, GPT is Coke, Claude is PEPSI, and Groc is our c cola. Really, yeah, it's it's hurting anyway.
Speaker 1: Apollo goes on to understand that these systems do not understand saneness. It does not possess the abstract concept leave the number unchanged. It simply behaves as though it understands those things so convincingly that its behavior is indistinguishable from behavior that demonstrates real understanding. Uh interesting, Okay, moving along. Your rating of the of those companies is that they're a I. I only know about the chatbots. I don't use AI for anything but the chatbots, right, So, I don't know how good anybody any of those companies are at the really complicated stuff that is what actually AI is, right, right? Yeah, The agents and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got this note from Julie, who says, let me be clear, I'm not in any kind of panic over the hauntavirus. This hooper, this super hard to spread virus infected at least eleven of the one hundred and fifty people aboard the ship, the three you die, the ship's doctor's ship's guide, a Spanish passenger, patient, and critical care, and ANSWER's condition is rapidly deteriorating someone in Nebraska, et cetera, etc. And she says, the fact that this and the strain can be spread person to person, which is very very rare and seem to be just from people in the same room, not intimate contact, and the fact that it has a long incubation period. Reports seem to have settled on forty two days. She says, Yeah, it's worth a little concern at least.
Speaker 1: All right, if you say so, Enjoy the endless coverage every single day for weeks and weeks and weeks. Your lack of care is going to get you the rat virus. Armstrong and Getty