Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's our two on this program. It's a Wednesday, it's a new day. Every day it is a super Bowl, and we have to act like we're Marianna Rivera. Sometimes you blow the save, you don't get the win, and you have to move on. And that's what happened last night. I thought we had the win. Uh we blew it. And now the comeback begins. The story gets even better for next year. See, I cap trying to I'm trying to hide myself up here because nobody else is doing that. Yes, Todd, we blew It's kind of hard.
Speaker 2: It's not like we came in for the save and then we gave up the game winning home RK. These are independent judges that make arbitrate the things.
Speaker 1: What kind of analogy would you have?
Speaker 2: We weren't selected yet again they picked us something over us in our category most faceless people.
Speaker 1: I used a sports analogy, Todd. That's what I'm trying to get to, I know. But we got to forget about it. We cried, we moaned, we whined. In the first hour.
Speaker 3: We didn't blow it. There was nothing that we did.
Speaker 1: Everything wet it felt like it was a pick six. Really we lost on a pick six. I mean, that's the feeling I have today. We had it and football analogy. Who do we lose to NFL Live with a pick six? Seeing dan Orlovsky walking up there and I'm going, yeah, the skinny jeans on, yeah, quarterback pick six? Yes, Mormon?
Speaker 3: Are we more like Russell Wilson at the one yard line?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: NFL Live is Malcolm Butler?
Speaker 1: But Russ already had a ring. Good point, We don't have a ring. What to pick six.
Speaker 2: Would suggest you or one of us, or as a group, we made the wrong player threw made an error of some sort.
Speaker 3: We threw a pick six.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's more of an officiating mistake by the judges of the academy.
Speaker 1: Todd, you didn't say a word in the first hour, and now all of a sudden, you're going to criticize every one of our sports only. Jeez.
Speaker 3: I just I don't like blow it that. I don't like pick sex.
Speaker 1: I don't think that depicts what happened. We're just having fun. It's okay, all right.
Speaker 3: I'm a little sensitive too. You're not the only one that feels, you know, a little bummed that we didn't win.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go.
Speaker 4: Come on, Yes, Paul, who of this group most thought in the moment when they're reading the thing?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 4: I was actually not I shouldn't say a confident to the level that I was looking at the steps to walk up there, going we'll watch those steps because they're a little jagged.
Speaker 1: There was a camera man who was up by the stage, and I thought, you know, if I walk up, I'll make sure I don't bump him or we as a group.
Speaker 4: You and I actually had a last minute conversation about your speech or what you're gonna say, and we kind of ripped a little something to the level where I was like, yeah, Dan's gonna be up there talking.
Speaker 1: I had people coming up prior to saying, Hey, I hope you win. You're gonna win. I saw Kyle Brandt Good Morning football. He was right there, shook his hand. I think I sounded sincere when I said hey, good luck. I didn't mean it. Oh No, it's okay. We lost. Okay, now you can say we didn't win. That felt like a loss. Okay, Yes, Elgin Baylor. It's great, great, great player, all time. Great players never got a ring. It's okay, maybe more like Patrick ewing Well.
Speaker 5: I was trying to think of somebody who got to the finals like many many times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's like for eight. I think something like that.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think I have the comp and this is very timely in a sad way. The great actor George Went who played Norm on Cheers that everyone knows. He passed away yesterday, and I didn't know that he never won an Emmy Award, a Supporting Actor Award. I would have just assumed he did.
Speaker 1: He got nominated I think six times.
Speaker 4: He was oh for six and it was six straight. Just like George Went.
Speaker 1: We are oh for six, are Norm from Cheers. That's a big compliment. Now everybody knows our name, all right. I think we're well received. They like us, good reaction.
Speaker 4: If we're the Norm from Cheers of sports TV and radio, that's a comp.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm okay with that. Yes, that's all right, you're comfortable with us. Pull up a chair, have a beer. I mean, not this early, although it feels like check in the back room and see if that's the case. Oh my goodness. They they went hard on the way down, diving into the alcohol, and I you know, I said, look, there's no bathroom on the bus, so everything in moderation, and lo and behold a couple the brgs had to have the bus pull over. Yes, Tom, they were knee.
Speaker 2: Deep in taco bell at about one fifteen in the morning in the kitchen there, so they had no interest in going to bed or doing anything that would resemble getting ready for that.
Speaker 1: At one point I'd look over and Tyler is double fisted. In fact, I took a picture. But yeah, the rg's got to go. And it was great. You know, we were there in mass If you're watching on Peacock, that is Ocean. Ocean's twelve there, Danny Ocean, all of us there. That's the group. That's what makes this show tick. Say good morning if you're watching on Pecock. Now you know what I have to work with. That's what makes this even more amazing. We say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. Fox Sports Radio, iHeartRadio, Wayne Gretzky. Next hour, we'll go to the NFL owners meetings. We might have a vote this morning on the tush Push. I think they're gonna outlaw, but we'll see. The NFL owners did unanimously approve players in Olympic flag football. Pacers next game one tonight, Nicks by four and a half and the Oilers at the Stars ok See rolls the Minnesota Timberwolves last night and they lead one series of one game to them. The Thunder had seventy second half points and Minnesota scored just twenty points in the paint. So there's your difference there. Second half. Minnesota, they didn't go inside, Anthony Edwards didn't shoot, and the Thunder just played like the Thunder a thirty point differential seventy to forty in the second half as they win it, dominating the Thunder of first team down scored two opponents by at least thirty or more points and a half in the same postseason. Last time that happened was Golden State and that was twenty eighteen. We got just stat of the day. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Great timing here, win or lose, we celebrate T shirts ten dollars. Right now, all of the T shirts were clearing out everything and they're great t shirts ten dollars right now at danpatrick dot com.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, I have a little update on the tush push from Diana Rassini of The Athletic. She said both the league's Competition Committee and players Health and Safety committees have voted the band to play. She said that was an expected vote to now send it to owners, but that would be the last steps. Not a surprise of breaking news, but she said those are the final steps. Supports handed off to the owners, the issuing one. The Health and Safety committee voted the band to play. That means they have to have some type of dataabasis on.
Speaker 1: Well, they can look at the potential so you can say we want to be proactive here. Yeah, you know they look the commissioner doesn't want the play. That's why they tabled the vote the last time they got together. I mean, this is really simple, and then you have some backroom dealings, you get your votes. Maybe they're quid pro quo with whatever going on, But you know, here's the NFL owners, here's the NFL wanting more kickoffs. Now they're trying to they're trying to kind of massage manipulate, how do we get more kickoffs? So the kickoff. They wanted to get rid of the kickoff, but they wanted to keep it. But they didn't want you to run have any returns. They wanted to Hey, they kicked it out of the end zone and you're going to start fresh on the twenty five yard line. And then all of a sudden, we're like, now need we need kickoffs? We need some movement here. Now they've gotten some movement here. Now what are they going to do? They're going to, you know, because now it's safer. Now we're going to try to have more kickoffs here until we get to a point where we were before where it's not safe on the kickoff. Can't just leave it where it is like, when you think about a league that tweaks its game, it's rules. The NFL does this more than all the other sports combined. But they also get more attention because they tweak. If you think about it, now, it does drive me crazy. They're like, you know, you can go wait is that the rule? Now? Oh wait a minute, that's where they spot the ball. It's hard to keep up, and it's my job to keep up because they're always tinkering with it, Like, can't we just figure out how to play the game already. You imagine somebody came back to life, who was you know, played football in the fifties, and they're like, wait a minute, what do you First of all, what are you doing on the kickoff? Oh damn, look at those helmets. Wait you're not allowed to. I can't hit him up in the head. Wait. I can't use my arm as a weapon. No you can't. Man, what happened? Yeah, the evolution of the NFL. Yes, boy, I.
Speaker 4: Can't tell whether I love that about the NFL or don't that they're willing to adjust to what the fans want and change rules year to year, But there's very little consistency from year year and it makes it more complex to watch, even for hardcore fans.
Speaker 1: I mean, it started with the catch and completing the process that drove me crazy, and it just felt like, let's get lawyers to provide the language here and then you're going, oh my god. And if you just take a stroll through the rule book sometime you'll be like, I mean, I think it's probably easier to pass the bar exam than it is to understand the NFL rule book. And I'm being serious. There's so much there. Let's say you grew up in England and or let's say you know, you grew up where they played cricket, and then you go, hey, check out the football and you're like, and this is coming from cricket where I'm you know, still trying to figure it out, where you're like, wait, how come everybody doesn't get to go out for a pass? And you know, when you think about it, that's one of those rules that sounds like, well, you know, do we want that? Yes, I love to have k you know, you have your tackles that Wait a minute, but if you line up there, then you're too far back in the back. No, you can't have two guys in. No, you can't. Like it's it's wild, Yes, Martin.
Speaker 6: Remember when the playoffs started, we were like, oh, what are the overtime rules? I'm not sure this.
Speaker 1: Year when Donovan McNabb didn't know about overtime and he played in the NFL, and you're like, we got a lot, we got too much going on. Zach and Knoxville. Hi, Zach, what's on your mind tonight?
Speaker 7: ADP, Thanks for taking my call. Y'all were talking about the analogy with the sports and this sports that he feels like a real Charles Woodson Peyton Manning Heisman Trophy situation where ESPN and ABC and Brent Musburger put him over the top. And that's what's happening to.
Speaker 8: You, guys.
Speaker 7: You're getting, you're getting big league and I don't appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you, Zach, thank you. Uh, we appreciate that. Thank you for the analogy there. Kevin in California, Hi, Kevin, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Good morning, guys.
Speaker 8: I got two ways you'll get an Emmy next year.
Speaker 1: One is pretty simple. Drop the.
Speaker 8: Just like in the sulcial network speak, Yes, damn fast show next year.
Speaker 9: Make it simple.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, continue, I'm sorry now.
Speaker 8: My second option is a long shot.
Speaker 10: Add Ted McGinley, the actor who always joined shows and put him over the top in the nineties, in the two thousands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, add him to the cast.
Speaker 3: That's my second option.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, Kevin. Kind of like Deaftnes, not the Deaf Tones, Yeah just okay, yeah Edge, not the ad smashing Pumpkins maybe, or actually I think they are the Smashing But see I was waiting last night. So they make the announcement right before they make the announcement. I'm waiting to hear the Yeah, the Dan Patrick Show. And then when I heard.
Speaker 5: NFL Live and the dude that announced it was ready to get out of there is just like all right, and the Emmy goes to NFL Live, ESPN congratulations, see you guys later.
Speaker 1: By that was Roy Wood, the comedian, Yeah, yeah, Polly.
Speaker 4: When I heard when I didn't hear the I started turning out of my seat. I was like, maybe we should change it to the have a little more attitude about ourselves th e Yes The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Lisa and Albany. Hey, Lisa, Hey.
Speaker 11: Dan, first time, long time as a startup nonprofit. I totally respect what you are doing with such a lean team, and I think it's completely ridiculous that you're competing against these one trick pony type shows, you know, football or baseball. I mean, how baseball gets three nominations also makes no sense. But here's my issue with the event started in your garage. Was the Sports Emmy's taking place last night in the garage. There was bad echo, weird camera shots. The audience looked like they were pained to be there. They need to grow to your level. Top notch before you want to be up on that stage. Anyways, I've had the app downloaded for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Let's go, Thank you, Lisa, Thank you. It's a tough audience. By the way Lisa gets it, you're if you're looking for laughs and you're somebody up there like David Hill who got the Lifetime Achievement, mister Kareem Rintz. He makes a joke about Hugh Jackman had work done, and I'm like, what crickets and nobody's laughing, and then he goes anyway, anyway, I got off the rails, or let me get back on the rails, like it's not a place to go and expect any kind of laughter. That awkward? Yes it was, yes, Yes, Mike and Wisconsin. Hi Mike, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Warn fellas, thoughts and prayers lot. But I think I cracked the code on why you didn't win it. I apologize if you covered this. But how many of your clips that you submitted included the Cowboys and or lebron Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I can get the list real quick. Is that a good thing?
Speaker 5: We should have had Stephen Wilson Junior sing about his dad and Lebron rather than just.
Speaker 1: So they loved the Cowboys and it made him cry. Yeah, yeah, because his dad was a huge Cowboys fan. He just said something like that. Then, dang it, is it a good thing to have Lebron and or the Cowboys in there with your sports emmy? Real? Yeah, we got to see what they submitted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could tell you if NFL Live won, it must be because they hit the Cowboys quite often, not being facetious. They that's a big topic on their show. I would I assume they're in there because they.
Speaker 1: Spent three million dollars on a VR headset. No, yeah, I know, like we're breaking down.
Speaker 9: We're gonna go.
Speaker 1: Inside Dak Prescott's head live to see Dan Orlovsky's got Yeah. We spent five hundred million dollars on this.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah whatever, Yeah, like we can't compete with those guys.
Speaker 1: Oh we got goggles. We are competing with the budget that we have, and they have like goggles on and they're doing artificial intelligence and whatever. We're Crystal Palace and they're in city. We are competing with them. Yeah, but Crystal Palace won. We didn't win. Yeah, it took one hundred and nineteen years though I don't have that much time. Nothing's guaranteed. That might have been my best shot death could that could have been it? What?
Speaker 2: So we're saying there's some kind of cheap code, the certain words, phraises, things that have to go into the clip reel that puts you in a better standing.
Speaker 1: I think there are better ways to present your show. I do believe that. I do. I'm not saying that we didn't do it this time around, but you know, it's it's there's a lot of talented shows out there, great shows.
Speaker 6: Yes, Marvin, I know, I know exactly what you need. You got to get five people into the Hall of Fame, any of their respective hall of Fames, like you did last year, in the year before, in the year before.
Speaker 3: That's the Emmy reel.
Speaker 1: But I got John Facenda into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Brent Musburger into the Hall of Fame, the band Foreigner into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I said more, Oh gosh, I gotta get mel Kiper in there. All right, But you would think and the selfless Sports Emmy goes to the Dan Patrick Show because we promote others. Yes, quickly, I know we've got a break in the past.
Speaker 4: We did send in the John Facenda clip is part of our Emmy reel and that year we did not get nominated. Last year was not the Brent Musburger year. The upcoming year will be the Brent Musburger year that we would have that clip in our Emmy reel. Our Emmy reel this year was Stephen Wilson Junior singing, Josh Jacobs tackling me you, memorializing Jerry West when he passed away, Dione Sanders at the Super Bowl, and Tory Levolo of the Diamondbacks telling Paul Skeins they'd start for the All Star Game, which was a great segment. That's a hammer.
Speaker 1: It is, it is, it is.
Speaker 5: It's a great list, you know now that I think about it, though, it is a lot more difficult to just talk about the NFL. It is a lot more difficult to just analyze the games that just happened and then preview the ones coming up. You're right, that is they are tackling much more when you look at what we submitted versus what they probably submitted.
Speaker 1: You're right, it's what they did is much more. We're going to head to the Owners Meeting, the NFL Owners Meeting. We're going to talk about the Toush push and some of the other things coming up right after this.
Speaker 3: Filling one hour versus three hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that gives us more time, you know, we get three hours of content, maybe we do a half hour.
Speaker 5: Wait, one of those five clips, do you think is the one that cost us?
Speaker 1: Uh, Pauli trying to tackle Josh Jacobs or getting tackled by Josh Day. No, you know what, we're winning because well we're nominated because this is what we do. That's all we did. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 13: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 13: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 13: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 12: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, i'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 1: More phone calls coming up, Wayne Gretzky in an hour from now each seven to seven to three DP show. What's the poll question for hour two? Seed?
Speaker 5: Well, right now we've got up there. The Dan Patrick Show is the Hall of dot dot dot fame or very good?
Speaker 1: Right now? Our audience, well, you know what, I appreciate this. They have eighty nine percent.
Speaker 5: Hall of Fame. All right, I appreciate a little morale boost from the audience. Normally they like to, you know, bring us down a little bit down, even more than they can, but they're really rallying behind us today.
Speaker 1: I think we're the Hall of very Good. I realized that around midnight last night. I think it's the Hall of very good. And I'm okay with that. If that's how I go out, I go out is very good. Yes, marmon, no, no disca. I mean, I'm in the Hall of fame. But I'm saying us electively, it's very good. Yes, yes, we actually bring you down. Yes, I'm a Hall of famer now I got I'm just in the hall of very good. It's all all right. Well, thanks thanks now that you put it that way. Jeremy Fowler, ESPN senior NFL reporter joining us from the owners meeting. All right, Jeremy, where are we? The countdown for the vote for the toush push.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Dan, great to be with you, and you are a hall of fame in my book. You should not let last night's results affect anything at all. Certainly, but don't.
Speaker 1: You contribute to NFL Live the show that won the sports semmy? Do you get a sports Semmy?
Speaker 9: I think I actually do from what I am.
Speaker 1: The show Should You Have Won? Should NFL Live? Should that had won? Last night? Over us?
Speaker 9: You know, it's I think it's a tremendous show, uh, Laura red Legend l a tremendous job. I love that show.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just kidding.
Speaker 9: I'm a very very small part of it. Okay, your Hall of Fame career should be the morale boost that you need this morning.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, okay, sorry to do that too. That's all I wanted to talk to you about. Jeremy, thank you. I don't care about the toush push and we're okay, okay, what's the time frame here on the vote?
Speaker 9: Any minute then? With those so that the packers their proposals in owners my understanding or voting, like right down the hall as we speak, you know, they're meeting on a Jason Kelcey walked through the hallways with Eagles owner Jeffrey Leurry a little while ago. So he's in the meeting. Maybe he can sway some votes, maybe he can help the Eagles here the Philly is clearly all hands on deck to try to sway some people. So what was told to me from some teams is that there is a momentum for this to change, for the tush push to be banned. They only got sixteen votes in March, so they need three Forest majority vote, which is twenty four votes to get this push through and then you know they'll go from there. So seems to be momentum. I think it will be close, and it could be really I'm checking my phone right now to see what goes down here, but it is expected early this morning.
Speaker 1: What kind of language do you think is going to be in or changed with this. Let's say they get rid of it, it is there going to be language that's put in their rule book.
Speaker 9: So the language right now is from the packers proposal that was tweaked this week to make it broader, because I think the issue that teams had back in March was like it was too specific to one team, right They felt that it was specific to the Eagles. They wanted to tailor that to just be back to it the way it was in the early two thousands, which is you can't push or pull any ball carrier at all at any time, or it's a ten yard penalty. So I think that sort of what's the appetite a little bit of some of the teams that were on the fence, you know, they're just there are a lot of teams that want to get that quote rugby style play out of there. What's still uncleared Dan is what the data is on injury prevention here, Like, if there really is an issue with this play that causes more injury risk than others, then that's great, let's see the data. But right now, I don't know that anybody has seen that. Health and Safety has talked to the league. So maybe today we'll get some sort of clarity on why that's important or if this is more just under the guise of player safety, which I know is some around the league. I believe that might be the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there and they could probably frame this and say we're being proactive. We don't have negative data or injury data. We want to be proactive. I understand how they can spin this, but like aesthetically, it's not pleasing. The NFL is in an entertainment business and it's a predictable play. It's like the extra point like we don't want to we don't want predictability. They can't say that, but I think that's really what's happening behind the scenes. That's my gut feeling.
Speaker 9: Well, and the Eagles are a major brand in the league and they've had tremendous success with it, and it evokes a lot of emotion because from a football standpoint, there's still our teams and coaches and gereal maners in the league that will tell you, like, you shouldn't punish the team for being able to execute a play that you can't stop. So that is really a core issue here that really won't go away. So you're right, it's a matter of taste in a lot of ways. And you know, his injury prevents really a thing. You know, some people in league say that they think it could cause some sort of catastrophic injury. We just don't know that yet, so we have to go by what they want and the fact that, yes, it is an entertainment industry. I think part of the equation too, is that a lot of teams feel like the Eagles would still get these plays without having to push from behind like usually Jalen Hurts in that offensive line. They get it anyways, So I don't think the Eagles will be all that affected by this, to be honest, on a football standpoint.
Speaker 1: I don't either. I said that. I've been saying that with that offensive line, with that quarterback, there's no quarterback like him. It's a low target. It's not like Josh Allen. It's a low target for a guy who squatted six hundred pounds. I mean, let's be realistic here. You're not going to stop that. I mean you might a couple of times, but they're probably you know, their success rate will probably be over ninety percent. But you know, we had Matt Lafleura on at the draft, and here's the Green Bay Coats saying admitting that the NFL nudged them to be the team that would put its name behind this to get this play a band. So that's the NFL saying to the Packers, Hey, I mean that tells you everything you need to know. The NFL does not want this playing.
Speaker 9: Well, it would be naive to think that Roger Goodell's not involved in the decision making here. You know, you have a couple of different tenants. You have the Competition Committee, which is eight or nine people, you know, composed of general managers and team presidents around the league. So they've recommended that the tush push should be out. You have the health and safety component, and then you have Goodell, who is a presence and if votes need to be swayed, he can be involved in those discussions. So typically what the league wants, the league gets the Phillies pushing back here. You know that like Nick Sirianni has a pretty big coaching tree now with Shane Steichen in Indianapolis, two or three others that are head coaches whose teams benefited from the Tush push and don't want to go against the Eagles. So but that's only three or four teams. Do you have enough to sway the majority?
Speaker 1: Jeremy Fowler, who will win a Sports Emmy because NFL Live won a Sports Emmy last night, joining us from the NFL owners meeting.
Speaker 9: You can't have mine, we'll switch the name on it be fine.
Speaker 1: What else should we be aware of that could happen today?
Speaker 9: So the interesting news this morning, Dan was that the playoff reseating proposal from the Detroit Lions, which they were proposing, Hey, look, if you have a better record as a wildcard team than a division winner, you should jump them in the seatings that has been off the table, that has been now revoked at least for this term. But it was a little bit of a surprise. It didn't have much legs, but I thought they would at least vote on it. They are not doing that now, So it's going to be the same playoff format this season. But there is an acknowledgment here that, like, if it goes to eighteen games eventually or in future years, they're gonna have to receive this thing. They're gonna have to work it out. They don't really want situations where teams have meetingless games in December and January, when you're locked into a two seed and you're resting your guys, or you saw the Rams do that last year, resting your guys in the last week. You know, they want these games to matter. Even though I think some fans love second and third stringers playing and the dynamics of who's gonna tank and who's not, Like, I think there's an element of that, but for the most part of the league doesn't want that. They want good games. So I do think they're gonna switch that eventually. It just won't happen this week. And then you got some onside kick news. There's some stuff about you know, you can do an onside kick anytime during the game, not just the fourth quarter when you're down, if you're from behind. You can do it in the first quarter if you want. And they're gonna move the kickoff point like a yard. I don't know why. I'm going to find out why they're doing that. They're trying to create a better success rate on these kicks. It's kind of become a boring player. They're trying to spice it up, but you have to.
Speaker 1: Declare that we're hey, we're gonna have an onside kick. You have to tell right, Oh my god, correct, Okay.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So it's they're they're hoping for a little bit more excitement.
Speaker 1: Anything I need to know about Aaron Rodgers today.
Speaker 9: So Dan, I checked on that this week. You know, I kind of get the same lines from people in Pittsburgh, which is, hey, we remain optimistic, we remain in contact with Aaron Rodgers, no new update yet, so they all are essentially still waiting on him. You know, I go back to like, this is his first foray in the free agency in a twenty year career that was highly unpredictable. So this was never going to be smooth or easy, and you know OTA's is in a little under three weeks. For the Stealers, they may twenty seventh, so that'd be the target date for them. They would, they would, you know, certainly hope that by then he's in the fold. I don't think they've changed their plan. They're waiting on him. They know he's had some stuff in his inner circle or some family stuff that he has been dealing with, which he alluded to on the pat MC could be showed a few months ago, so they're sensitive to all that and they're just going to kind of roll with Mason Rudolph until that at There's some teams I've talked to that are still kind of wondering, like, is he just waiting out the Vikings, you know, because the Vikings would be an ideal scenario. One of the best play callers in the league and Kevin O'Connell nine Dome games, You're guaranteed nine Dome games per year here, there's some element of that. But I check in with the Vikings. I still don't expect that they're moving forward with Jji McCarthy. So he really has no other option other than Pittsburgh or retire, it seems right now.
Speaker 1: Did he get married.
Speaker 9: I do not know that. I haven't heard that. Okay, I haven't heard that, so you know, it could be just something the matter with his family. But yeah, I know.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 1: I saw him wearing a ring and then there was speculation did he get married? And maybe it's a mood ring, which would be appropriate for Aaron, Like what's the mood that you're in? But thanks for joining us, and congratulations on winning the Sports Emmy last night.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Dan, I appreciate it. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: That's Jeremy Fallon. He's a big time NFL reporter for NFL Live at the Mothership. Yes, I like that.
Speaker 4: We didn't even know that he won a Sports Emmy for being a participant in NFL Live Together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I do get one, man, It must be nice. That's what working at a place like ESPN or Fox or whatever is.
Speaker 5: I have friends who have a dozen and they're like, oh, I think I picked one up this year.
Speaker 1: They're like, wow, oh my god, John and San Diego, Hi, John, what's on youa Ron?
Speaker 14: Hey, how's it going. I had a question in regards to the on side kick. It's very frustrating year after year that the owners don't decide just to completely get rid of it. Because the success rate is so small, and there's been so many close games that have ended in such a small percentage of getting the ball, why don't they vote to have like a fourth and fifteen play or something more likely that our team can get the ball back because the on sidekick just obviously it's impossible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have proposed that. There's been language that's been drawn up where teams have suggested that I just think it's it's an inherently violent sport. You know, we're past the concussion lawsuit. I think when you sign up, you know they it's violent and I could get hurt. I just you can take safeguards, but safeguards should be with equipment. You still need to play the game. And this is how the game is played. And yes, it's violent, but I don't I just don't think you can do a little of this and a little of that and tweaking and you know we're gonna have an on side kick, but you got to promise you're not going to hit somebody hard. Hey, you got to tell us that you're gonna have an I mean, it's it's pro football. It's going to hurt. You sign up for that. We'll take a break. More phone calls coming up. We will play are we going to play in or out?
Speaker 8: Paul?
Speaker 1: Or fill in the blank? The fill in the blank? All right? That's after this. Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP. Time to play fill in the blank? About you ready to play? Fill in the blank?
Speaker 4: Everybody, let's play, let's go, let's play the game.
Speaker 1: So once again, the NFL owners have passed a rule change that would allow teams to declare on sidekicks at any point during the game if they're trailing, but they would be kicking from the thirty four yard line instead of the thirty five. Does it still have to go ten yards or does it go have to go eleven yards? Yes? Ton, and you still have to.
Speaker 3: Let them know what advantage during there this week?
Speaker 1: I know soft it is it's football. Ready for a new job? Express Employment professionals can help. Express helps people in all industries fine work. Their sweet spot is logistics roles. Express never charges job seekers if you go to expresspros dot com. All right, here we go. The game is fill in the blank yet how it works?
Speaker 7: Toime?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay? Blank? NFL players will be on Team USA's flag football team at the Olympics. Ten, ten, ten, seaton? How many are roster size total? Do we have that information? Do not have the rosters? Song? That's going to greatly impact my guests.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm gonna say, let's say if there's twelve players, perhaps I'm going.
Speaker 1: To say also ten okay, Marvin.
Speaker 3: Non famous NFL players will be in flag football.
Speaker 4: Okay, Paul, Well, that's a good one by Marvin. I'm looking at the flag football list and the initial rosters for twenty twenty four are out, and there's about eighteen guys on this list for the men's team. So my answer is too two will be on the rest.
Speaker 1: But you can only have one play for each country.
Speaker 5: No one for each team for the country. One player from each team can have right, Like like the Bills can't have have two players go, they can have one guy, and then the Dolphins can have one guy. And every team in the NFL is allowed to have one guy go. But my misunderstanding that, well, then then you'd have thirty two guys who you don't have to take one from every team.
Speaker 1: I thought it was Team USA will have one NFL player that like the team that represents Team USA. Then wouldn't that be the answer to the question? One sure question?
Speaker 5: Just NFL players will be on Team USA's flag football. If there's only allowed to have one player, then the answer would be one.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I thought it was.
Speaker 5: I thought it was you're only allowed to have one from each team.
Speaker 1: Unless I've read it, you know, incorrectly, because then you get rid of you're gonna get rid of all the guys who have been playing flag football.
Speaker 5: Well, yes, so then the question would be out of that whole roster, how many of them will be NFL guys? So if you have twelve, I say, there'll probably be like two flag football guys, but ten guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, I's perfectly NFL.
Speaker 5: By the way, nobody understands what's happening, but we're kind of like, uh, I think I read it the right way.
Speaker 1: The Eagles response, if the push the tush push gets banned will be blank, Todd.
Speaker 2: Fine, will still beat you anywhere?
Speaker 1: Nine setan loophole, Marvin Minimum, Paul very snarky. The response, The Timberwolves are blank Todd dun ish, setan ish, good ish, Marvin thunderstruck, Paul treading water, Pacers versus Nicks will be blank Tod chippy.
Speaker 15: Disappointing, Marvin nostalgic, Paul epic as an actor being known mostly for one iconic role would be blank, Todd limiting seatan cool Marvin.
Speaker 4: Pigeonhole ish, Paul awesome but a grind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, George went who was norm on cheers passed away, whereas Todd likes to say George.
Speaker 3: Went atlay, George went to a better play.
Speaker 1: Our show will be in the Hall of blank time.
Speaker 3: Wonderful, Okay, I went there.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, wonderful, wonderful Paul or no, Seaton all a very good Marvin.
Speaker 3: Hall of Fame for influence haul.
Speaker 4: The Hall of Fame, okay, if there is one.
Speaker 1: We will blank a sportsmmy. I would blank a sports Emmy for sure. That's not a yes or no. Sorry, you've seen how emmy looks, Todd. We will blank of sports Emmy.
Speaker 3: Continue to wonder what it might be.
Speaker 1: Like to win Seaton. That's funny, that's a perfect answer. Yeah, we will.
Speaker 5: Well continue to wonder what it's like to win a Sports Emmy. I think that's a nice way of saying we will not win one.
Speaker 1: Marvin, we will see a Sports Emmy. Oh we've seen him.
Speaker 3: Oh that's what I'm saying. We'll tell you to see him.
Speaker 4: Paul, we will no doubt win one four months after we all retire.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't want one. Then, all right, that's it. That's called Phil in the blank.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hall of Bay, Hall of very good.
Speaker 1: Mo in Arizona, Hi Mo, what's on your mind tonight?
Speaker 8: Maran, Dan Dannette, I myself have been snub out of a couple of employees of the month.
Speaker 11: Uh, but I get it.
Speaker 9: I know why you guys are being snub man.
Speaker 11: You guys got to get a script that's it.
Speaker 1: Oh we got to go is scripted? Yeah, people, there's some people who think the show is scripted. Uh, it's not. There are times it probably should be scripted, but no, that's not scripted. If that's what it takes to win the Sports Emmy, I don't want the Sports Emmy. Stu in Pennsylvania High Stu, Hey.
Speaker 10: Dan and Danett's first time long time six five, two hundred and five pounds, like you Danny product of strong Ohio roots. And I'd also like to throw in a suggestion for winning the Sports Emmy. I think you need to go full Roy Firestone, have Fritzy and arrange interviews with friends of the show that, let's just say, are pre program to emotional breakdown. Then use both in your submission. You'll get the vote for the emotional heartstrings folks. So that would be me I suggested. I think you get the emotional side of it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Stu.
Speaker 5: Yeah, see, I think that's an interesting point that somebody else brings up. That's us kind of similar to Stu's point. Maybe next year's Sports Emmy clip should be nothing but us talking about not winning a Sports Emmy. So if we like, say we did the comparison of I don't know NFL Live versus all of the things that we cover, we have people singing, we had all of this stuff, and then that was then in the So you're really getting two years worth of clips into one segment. Does that make sense if we're talking about what we submitted last year, as like, see, this was all way better than the people that won last year. But then that's our new clip for next year. Now, you're really getting all of last year's clips and all of this year's clips.
Speaker 1: Are we tanking our Sports Emmy submission for next year?
Speaker 4: Oh and ramp it up for twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: I have no idea. I'm not sure. Let's see what is it June? No, it's May.
Speaker 5: Okay, we have We still have a lot of the year to rally, to figure out Emmy submissions upcoming.
Speaker 2: Yes to what if we just submitted saying las Kyle with lacas Ky, with lacus Ky with Lkersky with Lakers Cowboy was just fifteen minutes of that, just to see what happens.
Speaker 4: Can't do any worse?
Speaker 1: I want to get no dominated time, final hour on the way