Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What's Right with Nick Great Episode two thirty two. On honestly one of the biggest sports days of the year, you have three NBA playoff games, well two and a half because Magic Caps, but Lakers Nuggets season on the brink, six Ers Nicks season on the brink. This is that pivotal Game three where home team won games one and two. If the team down OH two who's now at home, wins Game three, we have a series and Game four becomes massive. Or if the team down OH two loses it, home series over. So we either get great series or walkovers. That is all happening under the backdrop really of the NFL Draft, so we will do all of that. Also, we stated a goal on this show. We had a goal. We have a goal to get to one hundred and fifty thousand subscribers to the YouTube channel before the end of the NFL Draft. We are nine hundred shy, So if we could pick up one thousand subscribers between now and our next show, I'll say we met that goal. So if you're watching, if you're listening to the podcast, subscribe to What's Right Show on YouTube. If you're already listening or watching on YouTube, I appreciate you being a viewer. If you're not a subscriber, yet, subscribe and hit the bell so you get notified when we go live. Speaking of getting notified and we go live, I was so busy talking to Demande about Clippers MAVs that I forgot to retweet the link to the show. I just did that. Let's get right into what missed the cut for today's show. Detroit gives a monros Saint Brown and Penay Sewol massive amounts of money. Good for both of them. Caitlin Clark signs with Nike and demands classic category one take instantly right about the Big Three theater. You saw the the It was almost exactly what I said, which is, yes, it's millions of dollars in stuff and not nest necessarily millions of dollars in cash in hand. And Reggie Bush has his heisman returned, which is one of the most bizarre stories I can remember from eighteen years ago, which was when they said, no, no, bro, we're taking your heisman back. It's the Heisman Trust, not the Feds. Why did he give it back? Why didn't he just say, no, you can take my name off the record books, but you can't come in my house and take the trophy. I'm not giving you the trophy. The trophy, well, he gave it.
Speaker 3: Back to him.
Speaker 2: Okay, he gave it to him. If you say no, what are they gonna do, You're gonna sin that send Barry Sanders over there to take it from him. No, you're not. And I never understood at the time because Reggie, to his credit, had a long NFL career and has a very successful broadcasting career. But you never know where your career money is going to go. That's Reggie Bush's heisman at auction worth couple hundred grand. So you want me to give this thing back to you when it's kind of like a really good store of value break glass in case of emergency, if everything goes wrong for me, at least I have this thing to sell. Like I thought I had in my Kobe Bryant rookie card that I kept under my bed in college for because I knew I would one day go broke gambling, and I had like five super valuable basketball cards and a case under my bed. And then one day I did go broke gambling, and I was like, oh, this is so sad. I have to go sell these cards because I owed a guy a thousand bucks. And I went to the place sell the cards and they were all together worth like one hundred and forty dollars and I was just crushed.
Speaker 3: K a little different from the Regie Bus situation.
Speaker 2: Well, but I'm yeah, it is a little different. But my point is you try to you hold on to something thinking I don't want to ever have to sell this, but I might one day and then for me, that's a story for another day.
Speaker 3: Forty bucks for five cards.
Speaker 2: Five Yeah, but buddy, that led to that was that led to a sequence of just awful decisions. Because again I'm not going to get into it. We're too busy of a show. But if you'ree a scary person one thousand dollars and you have no money, and then you think you're gonna be able to pay them off with this, and then you end up being only having less, you know about one hundred and fifty dollars. Yet well, again, twenty one year old, me owing someone a lot of money, having four days to turn one hundred and forty dollars into a thousand. So not a lot of ways to do that. There's a couple tried and true ways to do that, one of which I'm not built for. And I found that out in very quick order. That's a story for another day. Now, demands, before we get to the draft, Let's get to the game last night. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So my Celtics lost last night at home to the Jimmy Butler less heat. The Lakers and the seventy six ers are back at home trying to drop to three. But it's shraft a, so we're gonna run through some NBA stuff really quickly. We could talk more about the Nuggets sweep on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Okay, the Nuggets aren't all right, so let's start. Let's start with your Celtics. Little denial from Joe Mizzoula and the Celtics players after the game, saying, basically, we defended the three. Well, they just hit shots twenty three wide open threes twenty three. I understand that Miami was crazy hot from three. I get that they hit the most threes they've ever hit in a playoff game. But when half of the shots are classified as wide open, no defender within five feet, that's that's a problem.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna raid you, Vincent or no Martin there, Darren Martin.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's what they did in the Eastern Conference Finals last year, and Caleb Martin had the series of his life. Then he went back to being Caleb Martin and now he's playing the Celtics and he's good again. I'm gonna read you a tweet from Kevin O'Connor, who writes and pods for The Ringer. He's great and is the opposite of a flamethrower when it comes to takes. He is measured. He is you know, he is not out here trying to like get reaction from people Kevin O'Connor last night at nine to nine pm. The Celtics would get swept by Denver, maybe take one game due to a hot shooting night, but they have no chance if it's the Nuggets in the NBA finals zero. Oh boy. This is where demand's a year. Celtics are in a weird spot. You win the conference by a dozen games, you get a round one matchup that would get your attention because of the Heat success against you, but Jimmy Butler's out, so it's easy to kind of sleep walk through it. Next round you're gonna get Cleveland, who is not going to be able to score with you. And then all of a sudden, like you're it's a six month season that's going to start in the beginning of month five or beginning of month six, I should say, actually in the conference finals, and so do I think the Celtics are going to lose to the Heat. Obviously not, but that's a terrible loss. That is by a point spread standpoint. The biggest upset in the playoffs since the twenty nineteen Clippers. Patrick Beverly Low Williams Young SGA Clippers beat the twenty nineteen Warriors and Katie was healthy at the time. They were the back to back defending champs. That led to the Kevin Durant doing the I'm Kevin Durant press conference. Uh that's a brutal loss. Just a brutal, brutal loss. And I'm curious your confidence level right now in your Celtics de Monsey. Uh, you to win the finals or well, to get out of the series series, make the finals, win the championship.
Speaker 3: I don't I have good I'm not sorry. I've got no fears of them losing this series. Uh, agreed. I think that a lot. I think a lot of things went in the heats favor like I don't think that that will be repeated. Bam Autebaio was just hitting shots that Martin was hitting shots I saw on a ball watching. I think I need to see Jason Tatum be a little bit more aggressive. But uh, but no so I. But they get to the finals and they see the Nuggets, and I don't think that. Well. My my confidence for us having an answer for Nicola Jokic if we end up seeing him in the finals, not great. But if any other team ends up getting there, I feel like we can make work of that.
Speaker 2: That's you know, that's fair. And you guys are built very similarly to Denver in this regard extraordinary starting five like one guy off the bench you trust. But that's actually good for the postseason in theory because your starters are gonna play more minutes. It's just a bad loss. And here's the thing. It hasn't happened yet. I guess you could argue, who is it? Who was it? Night before last, oh Grayson Allen hurt his ankle, but we were yet to have the oh Man key player from championship contender, not best player on the team. But you know your third or fourth best guy goes down for a couple weeks with a playoff injury, that inevitably is gonna happen to one or two teams, right, It just does. It's just sports. That's why now having this series go a minimum of five, and honestly it could go six because Miami could get one at home, you just you just extend the amount of time that something funky could happen, you know what I mean. There's more games now that you gotta play, more more instances of guys crashing and falling around. And it's one thing if it's like, oh, we're in a brutal first round series, you know it's gonna go along.
Speaker 3: Also getting a little he's getting real chirpy. I'm noticing, like they start. I think there's like a little bit of a beef brewing. But in the series, so, I mean these teams hate each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, like I mean, you got to keep in mind, here's Jason Tatum's Jason Tatum's been in the league since twenty eighteen, right, so his first as a rookie. They play Lebron. Fine, you know, they're up three to two. Lebron has two brilliant games and they win. But even though they were the favorites, nobody's given Tatum a hard time about that. At twenty nineteen, they lose to Giannis whatever. But once Tatum's been a star, they play in twenty twenty Eastern Armored Finals in the Bubble, they lose to Miami. Twenty twenty two, twenty twenty two, they play in the Eastern Armorgs Finals. Seven game series goes down to the final shot, they lose to Miami or they beat Miami. Twenty twenty three, seven game series, they're up three to zero. It goes to seven games, they lose to Miami. Miami's been, you know what I mean, a massive part of Jason Tatum's NBA postseason career, playing them in the conference finals as often as they have now to the two games tonight, I don't want to spend on Draft night a ton of time previewing series. This is a little heart, a lot of head. I think both home teams win. I think the Lakers get it to two to one. I think the Sixers get it to two to one, and then we'll see what Game four looks like in both those series. I also really hope the Sixers win because I'm going to Game four in Philly and Game four with it two to one, and this, you know what I mean, could be a great game. But Game four at three to zero is gonna feel like, eh, you know what I mean, like what are we kind of what are we doing here? Okay? Now win to the NFL Draft demonte go ahead. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So before we get into a couple of draft games, let's get the audience up to speed on your mock Draft four point zero aka the culmination of mock drafts one through four thousand. My question is, has Brett Veach blocked your number yet.
Speaker 2: So I actually have left Brett Veach alone throughout this process. And I also have been focusing not just on the Chiefs like it was last year, but on the whole league. I did mock draft four point zero Monday on television. There is one major change to it that I have made to this kind of mock draft version four point one, and I am going to try as quickly and as efficiently as possible go through all thirty two teams here and talk about why I have them drafting, who I have them drafting, and the analysis behind it. So the first overall pick we all know, everyone knows is going to be Caleb Williams. That is not a question. That is not a debate that has been locked in stone for quite some time. Well, listen, you guys know how high I am on Caleb. Here is where my change comes from Monday to now. I did have the Washington commanders taking Drake May. I now have seen the Vegas odds drop enough, have heard enough people I trust, and I'm not going to reveal any sources publicly. I'm going to text Demonse right now so he can react, but don't say who it is. Demansey. I just want to see your live reaction of the person. Someone a high level NFL figure who might have some level of insight on the commanders or their coaching staff or their front office or someone text me after mock draft four point zero and said, no chance they're taking Drake over Jaden. No chance. And then we had a whole little draft conversation back and forth. It was quite nice, okay, but that is that was enough for me to go back and say, you know what the commanders did hire Cliff Kingsbury, Kingsbury's college quarterbacks, where Patrick Mahomes and Caleb Williams want a more of a dual threat option. Jaden I think is probably the pick. Here is my concern on Jaden Daniels. He is old and he is skinny. Okay, and I and we'll go through this full top ten but you can see it on your screen for watching on YouTube right now, but I want to stay on Jayden and Daniels for a moment. Old and skinny is not a good recipe. Demon's how much do you weigh? Do you know? Do you mind saying?
Speaker 3: Do you haven't?
Speaker 2: About one ninety and you are a shade under six three right at six three A shade over six three.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I'm about six fourths with the doctors tell me, but probably six three and a half.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so he's my bad A shade over six three, okay, so your six he won ninety. Do you think you have the body to be an NFL quarterback? Because I do not. I think you would get hurt a lot.
Speaker 3: And Jane Daniels.
Speaker 2: Is six' four a true six ' four weight in it two ten when he was trying to weigh as much as possible, which means he really weighs one ninety eight. He's too skinny, man, He's just too skinny. And and so you add that to the fact that he is the same high school class as Sam House.
Speaker 3: Isn't that bad? Is it? Like?
Speaker 2: I feel like that's it's buddy, it is too I'm gonna so all send and maybe we can get it that this is probably so Caleb is but one and a half six one and a half. Any weighs more than two ten. That's kind of my point. So there is like I'm gonna I'm gonna send a picture I used it on TV. I'll send it to the group chat I don't know if we can get it on the show or not. Uh, but I want you to see it. Demands the the and we can show it whenever, Caleb or I'm sorry Jaden yesterday talking look at your phone. Look at this guy. He's gonna get annihilated, man. I mean, he's just he's just too skinny, and everyone's like, oh, he's gonna put on weight. If he could, he would, if he could put on weight, he would put on weight. And then there's the age factor.
Speaker 3: We wouldn't be that he ever had to put it like it was absolutely mandatory that he put on the weight. And I think now that he's going to the NFL is what they're saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I get that, but LSU's got a weight room. I mean he does. I mean when we show that picture like he has, he just has a slight frame. And then there's the age factor, and people misconstrue when I'm talking about age. It's not that, oh, because he's two years older than Drake May, his career is gonna be shorter. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Correct, It's yes, So like I don't think Sam Howell's very good. Right, But Sam Howell is the same draft or high school classes Jadeen Daniels. How would Sam Howell have looked if the last two years he was playing college football? Probably freaking awesome and these Yeah, and so I that's jade and Daniels, And so we can show you the picture so you guys know what I'm talking about. People can say there's a bad angle. I don't know, man, that guy looks like a snapped collar bone waiting to happen. And so it just concerns me, and so it and the age part of it can discerns me. Just does and so. But I think he's gonna go number two. In that circumstance, I believe the Patriots are pretty clearly drafting a quarterback. I think that they are going to end up taking Drake May number three. And then the draft gets really interesting. Are the Cardinals going to trade out or are they going to stay right where they are? The Cardinals need great players. They have an expensive quarterback, Marvin Harrison is sitting right there. I think they will take him. There was a ton of smoke right when the Vikings traded for their additional first round pick that they are doing this to move up for JJ McCarthy. Since then, that seems to have cooled off. I actually think that's gonna happen. I see a ton of mock drafts this morning that have the Chargers staying there and drafting J. C. Latham. I don't think that's gonna happen. I think that the Vikings are gonna move up package their two first this year and their first next year to get JJ McCarthy, and then the Giants. They probably have to run it. Under this scenario, run it back one more year with Daniel Jones. They haven't had a great receiver since the beginning of Odell. Some people have Molak Neighbors number one as their receivers. I think they take neighbors. Joe All to the Titans is the most obvious pick in this draft. Every single mock I have done, in every single monck I have seen, has that happening. Probably means it won't, but I believe it will. The top offensive lineman off the board goes to the Titans. That the Falcons are in a unique spot because they have to draft defense. They have a decent offensive line. They have spent top ten picks on a tight end wide receiver and running back the last three years, and they just signed Kirk Cousins. They could sit at pick eight and take the number one defensive player on their board, because the first seven picks of this draft are going to the offense. Now, maybe they trade down, but I think they're gonna take Dallas Turner, the edge out of Alabama, and that then puts the Bears in a unique spot. Do they want to go left tackle to protect Caleb? Do they want to go interior defensive line and go Byron Murphy, or do they want to get a stud receiver? I think they go stud receiver. Take Roma Doonzay and Caleb as DJ Moore on the big contract. Keenan Allen is the aging vet, and Roma Doonsay is the stud on a rookie contract, and then I just think the Jets aren't gonna be able to help themselves. They should go left tackle here, they should buttress the offensive line. Instead, they're gonna hope and pray that the old offensive lineman that they acquired this offseason stay healthy. And the one major hole from a skill position perspective on their offenses tight end. They go Brock Bauers to make Aaron Rodgers happy. Now we can show the next ten picks. I think we have them. If not, I can Yeah, we do have them, all right. So this is where my mock is gonna be different than most. There is a ton like I said of JC Latham to the Chargers at five, smoke, under this scenario, JC Latham, the left tackle or the tackle from Alabama is available at eleven. I still think Talise Fuaga, the right tackle out of Oregon State, is better. I think it's more likely that Jim Harbaugh drafts him. They have their left tackle, they have their right tackle, and then the Broncos reach massively on bow Knicks because Sewn Peyton's gotta have a quarterback. He is not going into the season with Jared Stidham and with the Zach Wilson It's just not happening. So now, could the Broncos be a trade back and then draft bon Knicks candidate. Sure, but if they think he's worth the first round pick, then just secure him at twelve. A lot of people think the Raiders will take Pinnis at thirteen. I don't think Pennis given his age and his injury history. As a first round pick, the Raiders Antonio Peers has come out and said the Mahomes rules and all this stuff. Get another edge along opposite Max Crosby, lat Too from UCLA makes the most sense. The Saints have to go offensive line here. This is a spot where maybe I'll get the player wrong, but I am certain they're going offensive line. Trevor Penning, who they traded up for in the first round a couple of years ago, has not worked out right. Ramcheck it might have to retire due to injury. So I think they're going Forshanu to assist to give him a plug and play tackle on the offensive line. The tackle out of Penn State also one of the younger players in the draft. I think the Colts would love if the draft fell this way. If they're sitting at fifteen and only two defensive players have gone off the board, and they're both edge rushers, and they have their pick of any corner in the draft, they will go corner. I am confident in that. I think they go Quinny and Mitchell out of Toledo. Now to the second half or I guess the end of the first half of the first round. Troy Fottenu, he's listed a tackle. He probably plays interior in the NFL. He's down the street from the Seahawks playing the University of Washington. That to me is an obvious pick. Now the second half of the draft, the Jags gotta take a receiver because they thought they were gonna have Ridley and they don't. I do not like ad Ni Mitchell as the fourth receiver taken in this draft, but the Jags front office, led by Trent Balkey, loves going Galaxy brain on the draft and going the position everyone thinks they're gonna do, but a different player. See Trayvon Walker over who's the edge that went to Michigan that plays for the Lions now Aiden Hutchinson. So I think they could take ad Ni Mitchell there. The Bengals need a replacement for DJ Murphy or DJ Murphy DJ Reader. So their ability to get Byron Murphy the first d tackle off on everyone's board him and Johnny Newton. I think that makes a lot of sense. The Rams. Some people have the Rams taking a quarterback here to back up Stafford. Rams haven't had a first round pick in eight years. I don't think they're gonna spend one on a guy they don't expect to play. They still need help in the secondary. Terry and Arnold is a lot of people's cornerback one in this draft. I think that makes sense. And the Steelers are going offensive line. Now. Maybe if he's there, they go j. C. Latham. But the reports out of Pittsburgh from our friend Andrew Philipponi connected them to a Marius Mims, so I think Amarus Mims makes a lot of sense for them. Now we'll get to the final twelve picks of the draft quickly. Here Johnny Newton the d tackle from the Dolphins or from Illinois. The Dolphins lost Christian Wilkins. That makes a lot of sense there. This Eagles need secondary help. Cooper Dejene can play safety, can play corner, can play nickel corner, and is gonna be our first white corner in the NFL in twenty some years. The Eagles take him at twenty two. The Charger. This is a tough one because you feel like Harbaugh is gonna want to build up the offensive and defensive lines first and foremost. However, you lost Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. If Brian Thomas is there, you feel like they have to take him. The Cowboys would be thrilled if Graham Barton, who played tackle at Duke but can play all five spots on the offensive line, is there given the guys they lost on the offensive line, and then I have Latham falling further than just about anyone. The Packers would sprint this pick in taking JC Latham. They have a seventh round pick right now slated to play left tackle. That doesn't make sense, even though Latham is probably gonna play on the right side. The Bucks need secondary help all over the place, aside from one great safety, Nate Wiggins out of Clemson makes a lot of sense for them there Jared Vers. The Cardinals need impact guys. Some people have Jared Verse going in the top fifteen. I think available there. And then we get to some really fun final five six picks of the first round. The Bills have to draft a wide receiver. Now, there is some smoke they could move way up in the draft to get a receiver. I would love if the Bills mortgaged more future capital to move up. If they don't. Troy Franklin, the six ' three receiver out of Oregon, makes a lot of sense. Some people have speculated they would take Xavier Worthy, the guy who set the record at the combine. I think Worthy is going either twenty eight or twenty nine if he's there. I don't think Worthy is getting to thirty now Worthy I have concerns with as well. You know why it's one hundred and fifty five pounds and everybody people's I understand Deavonte Smith was super slight. But Davonte Smith at an eighteen hundred yard season in college, we saw him deal with it. People when I talked about Xavier Worthy, people were like, oh, that's what they said about Tank Dell. Did you see his rookie season. Yeah. I saw Tank Dell have an amazing rookie season until he got his legs snapped in half on a regular block because he's tiny, Like this is I I I don't. I feel badly about this sometimes, but I don't think I'm wrong in my belief. Football's for big people, and if you're not a big person, I have concerns, and so Xavier Worthy would scare me. But the Lions have been looking for his speedsterir since they traded up for Jamo Williams, and that hasn't quite worked out. So I like that pick there. The Ravens getting chop Robinson feels like a Ravens pick. I've mocked this in the last couple drafts. The Niners getting the best true center in the draft Jackson Powers Johnson out of Oregon when they had troubles on the inside of their offensive line make a lot of sense. And I think the Chiefs are going tackle and Jordan Morgan's the best tackle left now. Could the Chiefs trade up to get not a wide receiver? Here's why I I don't think Rashi Rice is gonna be suspended for more than four games, Max. I think it's probably one or two games. But you also don't make your draft picks based on length of if they were like, oh, he might be banned from the league. But there's that They signed Hollywood, they have Rashi, they don't yet have a left tackle, and so I think they're going tackle now. Jordan Morgan. You're gonna laugh at me on this, Demanse. The concern with Jordan Morgan is he does have short arms. And I know that sounds ridiculous, but for left tackle you want really long arms because you want to be able to keep guys off of you. But uh, there are going to be under this scenario. Let me just explain another reason why I don't think the Chiefs have to go uh have to go receiver by the way, Well yeah, well, I mean it just is what it is now. I'd love Lad McConkie there, the uh slot receiver from Georgia. I think he would be great with Mahomes. But the reason I think that the Chiefs have to go tackle is under this version of the Monk, the following receivers are not first round picks. Lad McConkie, Kean Coleman, Roman Wilson, Ricky Purcell, Per Soul pardon me from Florida, Xavier Lagett, Jalen Polk. That is six wide receivers that are potentially second round talents or late first or not gonna be first round picks, but six wide receivers that could be any of those six theoretically could be available when the Chiefs are drafting at sixty four. And what you can do if you're the Chiefs is if you take a tackle at thirty two and then you see a run on wide receivers happening in the second round, you can do what they did last year to get Rashid Rice move up a few spots in the second round, secure your receiver. So that's what I think they're doing under this version of the draft. The best players who end up not being first round picks, just to name them so people have them in their head. Kool Aid the corner from Alabama, who I could theoretically see the Patriots drafting. I'm sorry, the Patriots is certainly the Patriots at their first second round pick. But the Chiefs drafting Tyler Nuban, the safety from Minnesota, Peyton Wilson the linebacker. Where did he go? Did he go to in C State? Yeah? The linebacker from in C State? And then Zach Frasier the center from West Virginia, along with a few corners like Mike San and were still and who's the other corner I don't even remember. Those are the guys who would be kind of at the top of the second round. So that's how I see the draft going.
Speaker 3: I am body doing a ravens Lamar Jackson trade out for Michael Pinnox with the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Yes, So that's the other thing that the Chiefs have going for him, so to speak, if there is a quarterback available, If Pinnis is still there at thirty two, there is a real chance a team pays a super high premium to move up to get him because teams love that fifty year option for quarterbacks, so once you become that's only available for first round picks. So the difference between drafting guy thirty two and thirty three is contract structure. And so yeah, but the I could see the Chiefs trading back, I think the Chiefs are more likely to trade back then trade up. Uh. And so that's where that's where I fall on this.
Speaker 3: And I got one more question his street. Go ahead, and in this mock draft, you've got five quarterbacks going in the first round. How many of them do you think will be it's in the NFL.
Speaker 2: History tells us it'll go like this, one star, uh, one good player, one below average starter, and two busts. That's what history tells us. History tells us there'll be one great player, one fine player, one guy that, and then two guys that are backups or you know what I mean, don't have long careers at all. That's that's what is So this idea that you're going to get three or four franchise quarterbacks, it's not that it's never happened. Eli Rivers Big Band were one draft. Uh, obviously I think it was l Way Kelly Marino were one draft. It has happened. It's very very rare. All right, we play a game of GM Consultant next, What's Right? All right? Welcome back in What's Driving Think Right? Episode two thirty two, Demont's time for a new game in honor of the draft. Go ahead. Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's shraft day and you spent thousands of hours doing mock drafts all for this exact moment. The NFL GM community has come to understand the genius of you, Pops, and all thirty two gms have your number and on deck to call you tonight in case they can't make a final decision. You, Nick Wright, are the secret weapon in the extremely likely scenario NFL GM will call you to weigh in on their pick tonight. We're gonna practice. I'm gonna play an NFL GM calling you with a dilemma, and I'll talk you through the scenario and you have to convince me what to do before the clock runs out.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do it. Who's first? Oh oh, you're in Belichick's draft room.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, go ahead, Hey, Nick, it's me, Elliott Wolf, the kind of GM of the Patriots. Yes, this is still our draft room. Our favorite quarterback, Drake May is still on the board and a lot of teams want him. We can kickstart our rebuild with the trade. But who knows when we'll draft this high again? Do we say it three or trade back for multiple first rounders? Sixty seconds starts now.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is what you do, Elliott. I understand that you're getting calls from the Vikings, You're getting calls from a bunch of teams. You call up Joe Shane in the New York Giants right now, and you tell Joe Shane in the New York Giants that they can go from six to three. There is precedent for this, right Once upon a time, the Colts moved up, or the Jets moved up from six to three. They gave up the sixth pick and three second rounders. You call Joe Shane.
Speaker 3: Tell him you just a sixth pick.
Speaker 2: You want the sixth pick. You want his third rounder this year and next year's number one. Okay, you call him. He's gonna say yes today. So he does that. Now you you have the sixth pick. Well, no, I get another sixty seconds now because now I'm the sixth pick. So now that we can now I'm still I'm still talking to Elliott. No, it's fine. I'm gonna keep going. So here's the deal, Elliott. It's gone perfectly. They have moved the Giants have moved up. They have taken Drake May, the Cardinals have drafted Marvin Harrison Junior, and the Chargers, as many people have suspected, they might have taken an offensive. Lind Now you are sitting there at number six. You have the choice. You can take J. J. McCarthy at six, or you call up Minnesota and you tell Minnesota, hey, your guy is here. I will give him to you for the eleventh pick, the twenty third pick, and next year's number two. Minnesota is gonna say yesterday. So now what you have ended up with. You have turned the third pick into the eleventh. My lights just went out, I think because I'm as short on time. You have turned.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You have turned the sixth, the third pick into the eleventh, the twenty third, a third rounder, and the Giant's number one pick next year. All of that is very important. Looks like Demonszi's lights went out too, we're having a whole lighting there you go, Demonsick's back. Okay, so that's what we've done. By the way, I'm gonna holler at Jake to see if he can fix these lights. But you, demons, you we can go on to the next thing.
Speaker 3: We forfeited our pick. Go ahead, it's the Giants GM. Wowwe no. I like it. I do not know my own name, so don't ask. I've got Sean on the line, and they're interested in moving down to number six, So we can move up for JJ McCarthy, or we can stay at number six and be guaranteed one of the top three receivers. Do I trade up for JJ? Or do I stay and pick a wide receiver? Sixty seconds starts now.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you're the Giants, that the smart move would be stay at six and then hold a little mini auction for the sixth pick. But if nobody is willing to make the trade that I just laid out, if the Vikings don't want to move up, now, ideally what you do is you call Denver and you say, we'll move from six to twelve.
Speaker 3: Francisco Giants, though, okay, stop it.
Speaker 2: If you move from six to twelve. You will then if Denver wants to include next year's number one, you'll do that because Denver is gonna be terrible. That's a move you make. If not, you stampat. You draft Melik Neighbors and you just say we finally have a stud receiver. If you can't get Denver to pay through the nose or Minnesota pay through the nose, send in Melik Neighbors. Go ahead, all right, it works out.
Speaker 3: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no problem. Well it's the next one. Good job.
Speaker 3: Oh right, I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Oh they're doing this is really worthwhile watching on YouTube. This is great. We're now in the Bears draft room.
Speaker 3: Jim Ryan Polls from Chicago. Here, we have a conundrum. Haleb Williams is already making demands. He said today he wants us to draft tech who oluvashanuh Is high school teammate Baroma Doonze is still sitting here. Should we draft Caleb's buddy or the best wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. Caleb is gonna be happy with either of these picks. What you don't want to do is take defense. You want to support the offense. Now I understand the want to draft Oulu and I get it, and it makes sense. But Caleb also spent a lot of time with the Donesay. He will not be unhappy with the Doomsay and with the explosion in wide receiver salaries getting Roma Doonsay for five years on a discount deal. You drafted a tackle in the top ten last year, so you don't need to do it again. So I like Roma Dunsay at nine.
Speaker 3: Wait, hold on, I've got a call coming in from the forty nine ers. They're calling about Brandon Ayuk.
Speaker 2: For the ninth pick. Hang up, to hang up, tell him to go to hell. Stop John Lynch. Ninth pick. Send in the Roma doones A pick, sim send in the Roma Doonesay pick. Caleb will be happy. That's an easy one. Go ahead, and next, that was easy. This is a great game. Go ahead. Oh they really brought a bunch of phones out, My goodness, gracious, all different types of phones. That's an old school funk.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's show Douglas with the Jets calling from our war room. It's a Darken's retreat somewhere in South America. I'm trying to get in touch with my boss, Aaron Rodgers. But I can't see him currently. He wants Rock Bowers. But here's the thing. JJ McCarthy is still available. He might be close to me. Right now, do we pick Brock Bowers or do we draft Rogers successor sixty seconds?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is listen. This is where you really put the screws to them. Okay, guys, and this is where you make Rogers happy and you you win the draft. Here, Joe Douglas. If JJ McCarthy is there at ten, you call up Sean Payton because Minnesota is sitting there. At eleven, you call up Sean Payton and you say, we want for the twelfth.
Speaker 3: Pick, get the spotty in the darkness retreat.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, this is important. Broncos draft capital. Oh my goodness, I wasn't ready for this. Broncos draft picks they've got, Oh my goodness, gracious, I'm running out of time. Broncos twenty twenty four draft picks. You want the twelfth pick from Denver and the seventy sixth pick and a fifth. You want those three picks so they can move up from twelve to ten. You move back. The Vikings at eleven won't draft the tight end because they have Hockinson, you get Vurs at twelve. Anyway, pick up two free picks, trade with Denver, end up with your guy anyway. Oh man, that was close. I need to have the bro because knew the Broncos gonna have a second Rond pick they traded for Sean Payton. All right, we got one more.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, it's your buddy, Brett Veach with Kansas City. I'm in our war room located in Andy Reid's closet. I'm gonna pickle. Thank god, you texted me all those mock drafts, so I knew exactly what to call. Chicago is offering Caleb Williams and their first round pick in perpetuity from a homes We have sixty seconds to decide what should we do.
Speaker 2: Hang up on him. Hang up on him. This was the dumbest idea ever. Hang up on him and tell Ryan Pouls you'll never deal with him again for insulting you like that. Now, that first round pick and perpetuity thing is an idea I had years ago. It turns out it's against the NFL rules. But I said when I was on the radio in Kansas City a decade ago. Or I guess longer than twelve years ago. I said that the Chiefs, when they had the number one pick of the draft, that they should offer this for Aaron Rodgers. They should say, here's the trade. We will trade you the number one pick and the first round pick, our first round pick every year Rogers is on our roster for Aaron. Turns out that's not allowed. Uh, but so, but they're not trading Patrick Mahomes. What's up, de Monsey? You have two phone calls going on now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's some other guys calling about some other trades. Sorry, Oh okay, No, you're fine them so.
Speaker 2: Veach. I think is because they signed Hollywood Brown, the Chiefs are in a really good position to truly be able to take best player. Uh that they they might take a corner, They absolutely could take kool aid, They could take a wide receiver, and they could take a tackle. Also, whatever the producers are trying to get you to do, demonse, don't let them peer pressure. I can tell that you don't want to do it. Don't worry about it. Uh. People are asking, should you watch the draft of the NBA. Listen, Tonight's one of those nights that you need to be able to have a multi TV setup. If you don't have a multi TV setup, here's what I would tell you. Go TV for basketball, computer screen or phone screen for draft. Because draft is an informational thing, not necessarily you need to see every nuance of it, so you can only have one big screen. Obviously, put the big screen on, uh the NBA. But the draft is honestly what I'm most excited for tonight, even though the way this time's out, the Chiefs are gonna be drafting like mid fourth quarter of the Lakers game, which is potentially which is.
Speaker 3: Gonna really put me in out there.
Speaker 2: In a blender. All right, let's do listener questions next. What's right? All right, welcome back in We'll right with the great episode two thirty two. What's up to Montay?
Speaker 3: Sorry, oh no, no, no, no, I was just gonna take I was gonna give you a second. Seem to be doing so much.
Speaker 2: No, I'm good, I'm just looking. I'm trying. Here's a weird thing. I think in New York, for some reason, you can't bet on certain types of things, So like in FanDuel in New York or DraftKings, I can't see any of the draft dodds because you're not allowed to bet those types of bets in New York. It's weird. I don't totally get it, and so I can't follow some of these draft dots. But let's get to the listener questions.
Speaker 3: So you're trying to bet on the draft right now?
Speaker 2: No, I read the first question and you'll understand it.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, Neil, Gary, Pennix and Nicks go round going round one to two, you get quarterbacks, and round one plus five and a half wagers it wagers in Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was trying to see what the odds were that at least six quarterbacks were going Round one, and I can't see the odds. I don't think we're gonna have six quarterbacks in round one. I hope we do. What's best for the Chiefs is many quarterbacks and d lineman go in Round one as possible. Like what the Chiefs want is for them to have their pick of wide receiver, tackle, corner, and so that's what you want. Positions you're not going to draft to be the highly drafted positions, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, kai Jahuru asked a question Nick. During the offseason, when sports news have slowed down, do you have considered doing poker maybe twice a month, doing a poker show. Sorry, I'm learning how to play, and I think it would be cool.
Speaker 2: I don't think a poker show would actually be interesting. Is the problem? Like there are you know, there's a lot of poker like learning tools, and there's classes and stuff like that. Now I have there is a poker based actual show that I've thought about trying to create for a long time, where it is basically the model of the shop, where it's you know, famous people sitting around talking, but instead of it being premised around a barbershop, it's around a poker table with whole card cam. So it's kind of both. But that's a heavy lift to get that off the ground. But maybe one.
Speaker 3: Day they're saying six six quarterbacks in round one is going at plus one eighty. By the way, six plus quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: That's that's wild, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, Eric Allen asked, what do you think the biggest mistake of the draft tonight will be?
Speaker 2: Sounds like you're trading to get j McCarthy. I think trading up to get JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 3: The Patriots, Well.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't have to trade up. They could sit there, but I just think I I just don't think JJ McCarthy is a great player.
Speaker 3: Next nac Real. If the Lakers win the next two games, what percentage do you give them to win the series.
Speaker 2: They're gonna I haven't changed my pick. Guys, Hey, Lakers and six, I'm halfway there. They've lost two. They always had to lose two to lose in six. Give me a break, all right?
Speaker 3: Next? All right, that man ask how was the surface on the banana phone? It wasn't great. Keep going, let's run through the LG said, I can't believe we'll never see demand back in the shades. You will today a little bit, yeah, a little different flow of the show. So I didn't want to throw in the shades. I've been thinking about it as well, but I'll have them on next time. All right, go ahead, gone to m JC. My guy Nick Wright dressed like an Albanian drug dealer.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm going for. That's the aesthetic I'm going for, and I appreciate that. All right, Go to Austin Taps.
Speaker 3: Question, Austin Tap, why do you use passer rating to evaluate quarterbacks instead of quarterback rating? Does the passer rating provide them no?
Speaker 2: No, no hold on saying why do I use fasser rating instead of QBR. So QBR is ESPN's proprietary stat, go ahead.
Speaker 3: It does the passer rating provide a more accurate depiction of their performance or as the quarterback? Or is the QBR skewed by stats that aren't relevant?
Speaker 2: I neither's a perfect stat. Passer rating is just very straightforward, even though the maximum score is one point fifty eight point three, which is weird. It's not normalized to a one hundred scale. But it's twenty five percent yards per attempt, twenty five percent touchdowns, twenty five percent interceptions, twenty five percent completion percentage. They get you. Passer rating. QBR is supposed to incorporate situation, rushing, a lot of other things. It theoretically is a better stat, but it also, to me, has a lot of noise in it, and the numbers are so close together that it's there is. I just don't like it as much. So I don't think there is a perfect catch I don't think EPA, I don't think CPOE. I don't think there is a perfect singular catch all passer evaluation stat. Maybe I should give QBR a little more love. It's just it's ESPN's uh, it's ESPN's proprietary things, so we don't use it on TV that often, and so I just I've always done passer rating. All right, I'm gonna go. This was a great show, Demons. You crushed, producers, you did a great job long night ahead of basketball in the draft. And again, please like, rate, subscribe, review if you'd like. But we need a few hundred more subscribers to get to one hundred and fifty thousand. That's it, what's right, Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget. We're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand get de Monday another plaque, so like, subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,