Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and get taking enough he.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty absolutely clear.
Speaker 3: The US Supreme Court has already had led a charitable organization, including specifically, a university can lose its tax exem status if they are violating fundamental policy. That was Bob Jones University versus the US in nineteen eighty three. They lost their tax exem status because their racist, discriminatory policies were contrary to a compelling governmental interest and to public policy. Harvard has said they will not comply with what the federal government says they need to as it relates to enforcing non discrimination policies. Of course, they can lose their federal exempt tax status. I've read through the letter that the task force sent to Harvard, and all they're asking is to come up with solutions to its own problems.
Speaker 1: That is a fellow by the name of Mark a gold Feeder, Goldfetter. He's a professor. He's obviously of a conservative bent. He may be the only conservative professor in America apparently, which is part of the reason we got to where we are the Trump administration versus Harvard.
Speaker 2: One more news clip and then we will discuss.
Speaker 3: These universities are titled and they will not stop this behavior on their own court. The only thing they seem to respond to is financial incentive. That seems to be the only lever that we can pull to stop the racist and anti submitic conduct on their canvases.
Speaker 1: So I would tend to agree with his point of view. How to affect the change is where the devil is in the details.
Speaker 2: Super interesting topic.
Speaker 4: Let me ask a very broad question before you get into the details or the intricacies, and that's where you always end up with, you know, the law, but on a very broad level, just like a macro level, why are we giving so many federals to these universities at all? I mean, like particularly like the Harvard's and the princes of the world that have endowments of billions and billions of dollars? And how much money does that generate every year? You know, with the investments and everything like that. I said, why aren't they funding themselves?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 2: Secondly do we just.
Speaker 1: The brief answer to that before we get to question too, is we're paying them to.
Speaker 4: Do research when research wekendds and why can't did your research with their own money because.
Speaker 1: It benefits we the people. I'm not arguing in favor of that point of view. That would be the answer anyway.
Speaker 4: Well, I know that's what people would say, But I just don't understand that you've got billions of billions of dollars.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's enough.
Speaker 4: People that believe in Harvard and the work you do that have donated enough money over the years, and part of what you do is research.
Speaker 2: Then spend your own damn money on research.
Speaker 4: I just don't quite understand why the federal government has to give them money. If there is a reason I don't understand, feel free to text or email. Then if you are going to give a bunch of the money, do we think it's okay that you know, an administration comes in and it doesn't have to be like a specific you're not allowing like at UCLA where they weren't letting Jewish kids go to the library or whatever, even not a specific thing like on that. The current administration just doesn't like the politics of the college. Why do you have to give them the money? Why didn't you Why wouldn't it swing back and forth administration by administration.
Speaker 1: Well, you made the point earlier, and it's a good one that when the shoe is on the other foot. The Biden administration, Obama, you name, the Democratic administrations through the years absolutely insisted on the universities towing the line of progressive policies and to the point that they were a huge aid in the journey of American universities to the far far left where they are right now.
Speaker 4: Well, it didn't become an issue because all the universities are so far left and agree with what the Democratic administrations were wanting them to do. You didn't hear anything about it like share will make DII part of her thing.
Speaker 2: We love that, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, certainly a lot of Marxists have been on university campuses forever and they were more than in favor of that. But yes, it's an unholy alliance. So I couldn't decide whether to end with this thought or to frame the discussion with it.
Speaker 2: Believe it or not.
Speaker 1: We're making this up as we go, So I think I'll throw it out right now, you know me.
Speaker 2: I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Believe, as I said yesterday, our universities, our colleges and universities really education K through PhD level is so horribly infected with anti Western civilization, anti American activists. It's the only real threat to the health and safety of the United States. I think it is a virulent infection coursing through our veins that could kill us.
Speaker 2: I honestly think that could be too late.
Speaker 1: If we teach generation after generation to despise the country and the principles on which is it's founded, how.
Speaker 2: It's that experiment going to end? You suppose?
Speaker 1: I hope maybe what's good about America will cure the disease of what's bad.
Speaker 2: But man, you can't crank.
Speaker 1: Out your young people generation after generation hating ourselves anyway. So here's the way I want to frame this. This reminds me so much of the great conundrum of democracies.
Speaker 2: And I learned about this first.
Speaker 1: Particularly looking at democracies in the Middle East, trying to get democracies up and going in some cases, and that is and the United States is a decent enough example too, if we can just use our country.
Speaker 2: We have freedom of speech. You can advocate.
Speaker 1: Whatever ideas you want, no matter how repugnant, except for the violent overthrow of the government.
Speaker 2: Overturning the constitution.
Speaker 1: You can advocate voting the constitution owut, but can't advocate the.
Speaker 2: Violent overthrow.
Speaker 1: That free speech protect a party, for instance, and read Hullaback is that his name? Who wrote submission about Islam and France? That freedom speech protects a fundamentalist Muslim party who wants to institute Sharia law across America And dontry.
Speaker 2: I'll get back to the college in a minute.
Speaker 1: So you say, well, our principles are you get to run your Sharia law party because we there are sacred founding principles and we will not violate them. And then as soon as those people get elected, they end all of the sacred founding principles and decrease Suria law. That is the great conundrum of democracies. Do you protect those who would end everything you hold deer because you hold protecting them deer?
Speaker 4: Right, it's the it's the it's the problem with the whole coexist bumper sticker. One of those symbols on there doesn't want to coexist with the rest of the symbols.
Speaker 1: Right, and would slit its throat all of their throats, Yeah, to get supremacy. So how exactly you're going to co exist again anyway. The reason I brought all this up is the Wall Street Journal editorial board, which remains, you know, pretty staunchly conservative. I don't agree with them all the time, but they're big piece today is Donald Trump tries to run Harvard. Many of his demands on the school exceed his power under the Constitution, and so it's kind of the other side of the coin. You have now these elite universities. I almost want to vomit when I say that, these elite universities who are totally ideologically captured by those who would end Western civilization. So when we the saying are trying to fix that problem, can we, for instance, have what the Trump administration is is decreeing there has to be viewpoint diversity, which they don't define. And the Wall Street Journal ask, does this mean English to departments must hire more Republican faculty or Shakespeare's scholars. If a monitor finds insufficient diversity, however you want to define it, the university must hire quote a critical massive new faculty within the department or the field who will provide that diversity, and admit a critical massive students who will provide the same. So to Harvard have applicants have to say whether they support Trump or not, or impose ideological quotas in hiring and admissions.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The trouble with this, I think is just you can't. I don't think you can write out a recipe for a cultural change. I just I don't think it's possible.
Speaker 1: And then enforce it at the end of the government's gun or their finance gun.
Speaker 2: And trust me, don't worry.
Speaker 1: I'm not rushing towards some sort of Let the universities do whatever they want. Because they are claiming we've got to have academic freedom. They're violating our academic freedom. There is no effing academic freedom.
Speaker 2: That's what we're mad about, right, exactly.
Speaker 4: The fact that culturally it got to a point where these elite universities are all one extreme side of politics is so culturally weird and not in step with the country and bad for the country. But I don't know, I don't know how you write out a list of rules to fix it.
Speaker 1: Well, ride and they say the Trump team is shooting first and investigating later, imposing these new rules. Uh, here's what I would suggest in terms of rules, enforceable. Rules don't be a jerk. That'd be my rule.
Speaker 2: Don't be a jerk. Be nice.
Speaker 1: The stuff about anti semitism, enforcing civil rights laws to the letter one hundred percent in favor of that. That's one of the things Trump administration is insisting in no masks on demonstrators, Punish kids who violate the rules. These are civil rights rules. You can't say, oh, Johnny, now come on, stop punching Jews in the face. No, you have to enforce the rules one hundred percent. Legit all of that stuff. Get rid of your DEI programs. They're illegal, they're a moral they're unconstitutional. I love all of that. But the faculty diversity thing, I think has got to come through growing awareness and social pressure, which is already building.
Speaker 2: I think, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I said yesterday, I think the damage has been done. Lots of employers they see Harvard grad on that resume, They're not thinking, yes, a Harvard grad applied. They're thinking, uh, oh, what kind of nut job might I have here? That's gonna make my workplace very difficult?
Speaker 1: Right start mocking Harvard constantly in Colombian pen and Stanford, which have lined up to support Harvard, because Harvard, I should.
Speaker 2: Have told you that.
Speaker 1: No, I guess it was in that news said no, we're not agreeing to these conditions Trump administration has asked of us.
Speaker 2: I use this example a lot.
Speaker 1: Call it Harvard Marx University for the rest of your life.
Speaker 4: I use this example a lot because it bothers me a lot. But it's been going on for decades. There are, at least according to Bloom who's the Yale University. He's dead now, but the expert, the biggest expert in America in the history of Shakespeare. He was so upset in the nineties that there were no Shakespeare classes being taught at elite universities, where the whole point was to say, just you know, talk about Shakespeare being great and the greatest maybe writer in the.
Speaker 2: History of the world.
Speaker 4: They were all Shakespeare and racism Shakespeare, and misogyny Shakespeare, and you know this sort of stuff. Class blah blah blah. It was all criticizing Shakespeare for all those things I just mentioned, and it bothered him so much. How are you going to legislate that out of the colleges? How would you prost do that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: It's a ridiculous that that is what they teach about Shakespeare. They teach you to think Shakespeare was bad. If they teach Shakespeare at all, well, that's Marxism. All Western civilization is bad. Capitalism is bad, Representative democracy is bad. They're all freaking Marxists who want to tear down the country. But how do you fight the most successfully? If you have thoughts? Because this is so important?
Speaker 1: Johnyson email, would you have mail bag at Armstrong and Getty dot com. T you know, make the subject colleges and universities or something like that. I want to paw through them tonight and tomorrow before the show and search out ideas, particularly if you're in education or you have, you know, a well formed opinion in this stuff. I would love to read your thoughts because I'm still working on how do we preserve the things we hold dear and not empower President AOC to go in and ruin, for instance, the University of Austin, which is doing such great work in academic freedom right now? How do we solve this problem without empowering future progressives to ruin any.
Speaker 2: Progress we've made. That's a good question.
Speaker 1: Mail Bag at Armstrong and Giddy dot com is our email address. Mail Bag at Armstrong and giddy dot com.
Speaker 2: Good stuff on the ways to hear? Are you strong?
Speaker 5: He Yetdy?
Speaker 2: It's time for what's this song? And here's the star of the show. When what tale the star?
Speaker 1: Up?
Speaker 5: Here?
Speaker 2: Come the mother in law? Can you top this? And now from television City in Hollywood, here's your host, Don keambit winked Martin dytack account.
Speaker 1: You'll win some heavy cash on headline casers.
Speaker 2: When you play.
Speaker 5: Ke go.
Speaker 2: And here are two good words to get us started. A wait, welcome to our show. The country's in debt.
Speaker 1: You're probably in debt, but most importantly, our three players, Sue, Gary and Heather have come to us with their real life debt.
Speaker 2: And one of them just might be lucky enough to get out of it by the end of the show. That's a good one. That's a good premise. Uh wink Martindale has died. Whoever? That is a great wink Martindale. I watched all.
Speaker 4: I watched a lot of game shows when I was a kid because I was sick now and then and i'd be Homer in the hospital and I watched all. But I can't place Wink Martindale. The name was familiar. He was omnipresent. He was, as we just heard, he hosted all of them. It was funny when the news was brought to us.
Speaker 1: And sorry, we should have told you to sit down before I'm plumbing you of the great loss. Executive producer Hanson behind the scenes says, yeah, we'll a fortune killed gambit.
Speaker 2: He still but hurt about it.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Hey, that's the creative destruction of capitalism, Hanson.
Speaker 2: That's the way it goes. They had one of Bold not that debt show.
Speaker 1: These three contestants are all miserable because they're so deep in debt they.
Speaker 2: Can never dig themselves out of. One of them will see that debt better be relieved.
Speaker 4: And the couples that don't win probably a divorce or suicide.
Speaker 2: Let's see who wins. Let's play the game. Oh my god, that's funny. Wow.
Speaker 1: So just a quick follow up to the previous segment. I was thinking about it during the commercial break. And one thing the Trump administration does that I don't love sometimes because I think sometimes it's counterproductive.
Speaker 2: But they do a very elon musky thing.
Speaker 1: They fail fast and learn faster, or in terms of like the college policy thing, I can picture Trump saying look set out a bunch of policies that make them come to heal. I know they'll reject them. I know they'll be complained about. Let's stir up some dust. Let's start the discussion. Let's do something other than holding hearings for six months. Then some Republican politician makes a grim faced speech and no, but he ever thinks about it again. Let's stirs up you know that, Get that that doesn't always work.
Speaker 4: You saying that while in the midst of putin tariffs. I mean, you name so many different things. Mark Alprin writing in his newsletter today, one of the most important ways in which Trump defies convention as that he thrives by picking the maximum number of fights possible. Most White houses would be an overload if they had one tenth of the number of simultaneous conflicts that Trump has initiated. But Trump personally and the ready for war infrastructure he's a arrayed both inside government and outside, are in fact built for taking on many, many brawls at the same time.
Speaker 2: And we won't know until we're looking through the rear view mirror how it all works out.
Speaker 4: God, the way his personality and brain works that he can be involved in this many skirmishes at one time would make most people crazy, and especially at his age. Right, old fat guy who eats fast food. Bring it on, he says.
Speaker 2: Eh, they need to study him when he passes, figure out his genome or something. No kidding, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 6: The authorities are investigating a jewelry store heist in Los Angeles. At least five million dollars in jewelry stole, and police say the family owned store was ransacked. Owners say the thieves stole jewelry and gold bars knocked out for surveillance cameras. Authorities believe thieves broke in right through a wall. The owners are offering one hundred thousand dollars in cash reward for any information.
Speaker 4: And they stole how many millions of dollars with the stuff, and they're still on the loose. I mean it's a successful heist so far anyway, going right through the wall. That's thinking outside the box, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh that reminds me I tweeted out a new video of people cleaning out the shelves of a Walgreens in San Francisco. Just unbelievable. You two can have this in your town. Vote Gavin Newsom. In twenty twenty eight disgusting.
Speaker 2: Major ruling in Great Britain.
Speaker 4: They're Supreme Court ruled that trans women do not fall within the legal definition of women under the country's equality legislation. It was a unanimous decision. The Deputy President of the Court, Lord Hodge. I can't believe they use the terms lord in a democracy, seems how I love it anyway, he said, the unanarchy.
Speaker 2: Actually, the.
Speaker 4: The unanimous decision of this court is that the terms woman and sex in the Equality Act of twenty ten refer to biological women in biological sex only because.
Speaker 2: Of course they do.
Speaker 4: Because of course they do. I can't believe we had to discuss this. He didn't say a king. He meant, you know me, I object to the term biological women. It's like saying a biological lion. I mean, that's the only kind of lion there is. That's It's entirely a biological question.
Speaker 2: What is a woman? What is a man? Yes, we know it's a biological woman anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the Scottish Parliament, Scots have lost their minds. You're supposed to be tough and to your climate sucks and the food's terrible. You're supposed to be realistic people. You invented golf. Anyway, you invented golf. I don't know exactly how that fits into my argument, but it popped into my end. But anyway, so a Scotland has gone nuts. They're so progressive, but they passed this idiotic law that there has to be gender balance on public sector boards.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, and some of the.
Speaker 1: Women who said yes, there ought to be balanced, no matter who's qualified not or who gets liketed or whatever, you've got to have a balance noticed Hey, wait a minute, there's a bunch of dudes claiming to be women taking up the women's slots on these boards. And so the worm turned and they said, no, no, no, by women. We met women.
Speaker 4: Excellent Shakespeare, drop on a British story, three searchers.
Speaker 2: Thank you, mister president. So who is this?
Speaker 1: The Women Scotland co founder Susan Smith welcome the court's decision, but said the fight was likely to continue. Quote today the judges have said what we always believe to be the case, that women are protected by their biological sex, that sex is real, that women, Oh my god, we have to actually say that out loud, these are odd times, and that if you don't know that men and women are different and it's real, you got something wrong with you anyway, And that women can now feel that services and spaces designated for women are for women. What our politicians need to get their heads around this law. They need to stop putting faulty guidance into schools and hospitals.
Speaker 2: Amen to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting that they did that. I don't feel like we're ever gonna do a way with all gender bathrooms in the United States. I feel like it's here to stay.
Speaker 2: Am I wrong?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think you are wrong.
Speaker 1: It's if that prevents lunatic state and lunatic cities from letting men into women's private spaces. If that's what it takes. You want to present as a woman, here's a bathroom for you. You're not going in the women's locker room. If that's the solution. Okay, until this madness washes over anyway, Katie, Yes a tease.
Speaker 2: I have forty year old breaking celebrity marriage news. Good Lord.
Speaker 4: Christy Brinkley reveals why she left Billy Joel. Full team coverage Shucom Stay tune.
Speaker 1: I'm making mine. What the hell face just it's radio, you can't tell. So Katie brought it to this audio. It is a galon old school lesbian talking about what we've been talking about, that the whole LGB thing has suddenly blossomed into like thirteen letters, a half dozen numbers and the division symbol or something, and everybody with any gripe is supposed to be a grouped together.
Speaker 2: While she's not buying it.
Speaker 5: From an og lesbian, the acronym LGBTQ plus is not a representation of a united community for what was once a legitimate civil rights movement. Gay rights has been hijacked quite literally by the TQ plus and used as a trojan horse to mainstream their degeneracy. First we have the transcot who want to sterilize children with puberty blockers. Then we have the cues young men feminized by sissyporn furries and pups who fetishize bestiality, all accepted and protected by the rainbow umbrella that magically transforms all scrutiny into bigotry. But the thing that requires the most scrutiny is the unspecified plus at the end, a placeholder for what's coming next, nor.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: That was readophilia yew All was brilliant.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's what she's hitting up?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suspect so.
Speaker 1: I don't know so, but yeah, Uh, minor attracted individuals is the new term you're supposed to use for pedophiles. They're trying to normalize that too, ma Aismais.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Katie, just like you just nailed it.
Speaker 4: I had to edit it down for time, but she kind of alluded to that's what's coming.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: She used terms like you used to hear from you know, right wingers about gay marriage degenerously stuff like that. That's pretty strong stuff from an og lesbian.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: What I appreciated from her, uh and and other folks like her Gaze against Groomers for instance, which is a group that has an online presence, is that she is standing up against the horrors of these experiments on children with the hormones and puberty blockers and cutting off healthy breast tissue because the confused girl thinks he's a boy for you know, a cup of coffee. Just all of that stuff, and how perverse it is that the gay rights movement is being frog marched into supporting that stuff, when a lot of it is you've got a fairly effeminate boy, it's probably gay, and the message is you're not gay. You need to be fixed with surgery. You need to be Oh you're gonna get with guys, We need to cut off your penis and turn you into a girl. I mean, can you imagine if a conservative group said, Okay, you're a bit of a tomboy, you know what, off with your breasts and we're gonna make you a penis because if you want to be a boy, we're gonna make you look like a boy.
Speaker 2: What horrific bigotry would that be? And that's that's what a lot of gay people are saying.
Speaker 1: They they can't get echoed in the media because the media are such frigging morons and such soft heads and such. She they think, well lgbtq RMLF over the power of three, I got to include all of those. And the other great phrase she used was any skepticism is called or any What did she say? I can't remember the word, but essentially, any skepticism is bigotry.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no.
Speaker 4: It would be a huge benefit to society if there was a break between the first three letters and the rest of those letters. That'd be really good for the country.
Speaker 1: Do I want anybody beat up or demonized or hurt or anything, No, of course not. I just don't want dudes whooping up on girls in sports. And I would like the social contagion, which is the neo Marxist activist around radical gender theory, to get.
Speaker 2: The hell out of schools. That's what I want. That's a good one. Where was that? Where's that woman from or what is she?
Speaker 1: Brit Clearly if there's more of her, Katie's let's have it, let's hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she had it.
Speaker 4: Here's your breaking forty year old celebrity divorce news. As it was one of the odd pairings in the history of celebrities. I think for some people when the hottest woman on the planet at the time, model Christie Brinkley weed Billy Joel.
Speaker 1: Why because he was kind of I mean, the whole rock star and model thing.
Speaker 2: Could not be more common. I know, they just didn't look like a couple to me. First of all, she's two feet taller. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I was in music radio at the time, and I know it was mocked a lot. So she says that she left him over his drinking, which I had never heard before, and that it was very painful and she did not want the marriage to end.
Speaker 2: But he's the hell of a drunk he is, and that's one of the reasons I brought it up. He is taking it Apparently he's going to take it to the end.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's pretty old now, he's you know, he crashed into the same house multiple times famously there in Long Island, and he ruined a couple of marriages. I would have guess over this and just keeps on trying. Then maybe I can make it work or something, or nobody's gonna tell me to quit or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know what. But he, you know, he's willing to take it to the end. Yeah, maybe you have to admire that in some way. I don't know. Yeah, I have no idea what it's like to be with Christy Brinkley.
Speaker 1: I mean, because a marriage is a hell of a lot more than physical attraction. But if Christy Brinkley says you got to rein in the sauce or I'm leaving, I'm at least gonna give it the old college try.
Speaker 2: God, you think you would think so? Yeah? Yeah, And he had it going on there for a while. Huh.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, hit after hit after hit after hit. And he's married to Christy Brinkley. Well, he's married to an uptown girl.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: How do you I think the second time you crash into the same house, I would think, you know what, I should get a driver.
Speaker 2: Maybe he did after that. I don't know. Let's look at the other side. You're living in that house.
Speaker 1: You'd wake up to a horrific crashing sound and just say, it's Billy again.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, did the pio?
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 2: Honey, piano man hit it house again? Oh okay, Oh, for.
Speaker 1: God's sake, we just got it fixed, Billy, No kidding, Okay, we got more of the ways there.
Speaker 7: So when you think about these businesses and a one therapy put on them, it's untenable for them. They don't have the cash flow, they don't have the access to capital, and it's basically locking up production in the toy industry. No toys are currently being produced in China, and there are reports that major retailers here in the US are starting to actually cancel orders.
Speaker 2: So so Christmas is at risk.
Speaker 4: That's a some economic expert on CNN yesterday on the lead Christmas is at risk. Toy companies can handle one hundred and forty five percent tariff. At some point the rubber's going to meet the road on this, isn't it. I mean, we all were relieved, I guess to find out iPhones aren't gonna triple in price.
Speaker 2: But there is all that other stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, part of me he wants to urge that guy to watch how the Grinch stole Christmas Christmas and be reminded that.
Speaker 2: It came.
Speaker 1: It came, It came without boxes and bushels and bags the rest of it. Yeah, Christmas isn't at risk, but he was talking about toy retailers, so I get that. You know, the ready fire aim nature of the tariffs is I think going to be counterproductive, although I suspect it's just going to lead to better trade deals. But it was pointed out by some learned folks that if you're a giant, multinational conglomerate with lobbyists and perhaps a tim cook who can pick up the phone and call Donald Trump, you get a carve out. But all the mom and pop businesses, all the small manufacturers, they don't. They're gonna be you know, shut put out of business right because they can't ensure their inputs fast enough.
Speaker 4: A bankrupt which is the main from the right big critique of tariffs in general, that it ends up being I mean, you're like creating a reason for people to get special treatment or do things to get special.
Speaker 2: Treatment, right, Yeah, it enriches the swamp.
Speaker 4: I was just texting with somebody who said they were about to do something, it doesn't matter what, and I said, you're brave, Gail King, brave.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that will catch on. It's like, wow, you're like Gail King brave there congratulations Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, speaking of economic occurrence and stuff like that, there's a lot of talk of recession because of the tariffs and all and how it shakes out. Nobody knows exactly what might already be in one of many according to many economists.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right.
Speaker 1: And I came across this from the Wall Street Journal, which I thought was kind of a good reminder what is a recession and how when will we know if we are in one? Now, that common rule of thumb is that two consecutive quarters of declining gross product counts as as a recession. The last if it's during the Biden administration run and that doesn't run out. But the GDP is not the criterion used by the National Bureau of Economic Research, which is the long standing arbiter of US recessions among economists, government officials, policymakers, and news organizations including the Wall Street Journal. The NBR recession dates are determined by its prosaically named Quote Business Cycle Dating Committee, a group of eight academic economists, some of whom have been members of the committee for decades. What they look for in order to make a recession call is quote a significant decline in economic activity that is spread across the economy and lasts more than a few months.
Speaker 2: Swaperty employment wishywashy, oh, very isshue washing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The main indicators they watch are on our employment, inflation adjusted personal income, real consumer spending, real manufacturing and trade, industry sales and industrial production.
Speaker 4: Well that's there's a democrat in office. Well yeah, that's interesting. So it's a little bit of like, that's just your opinion, man. And I always remember a guy I knew ran his own business. He was a very successful a his own business. And this was years ago, like mid two thousand and five. I can remember and him saying we're in a recession, and we weren't, like officially in a recession, and he said we're in a recession, and I was like, wow, that's interesting that you just said that out loud when you know it hasn't been declared. And in this case, it ended up being declared the next quarter. He had already felt it. But I thought at the time, well, even if it's not for the rest of the United States, if it is for your industry here, that's all that matters to you.
Speaker 2: So this this is kind of a stupid term.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like we always talk about when they give you a national real estate to statistics. It's the point of that more homes were sold last year than this year. Well that's I don't even know if that number is useful to anybody, but it's certainly not useful to your state, county, neighborhood or whatever.
Speaker 1: Well, my only argument against that would be that if your policies cause one those policies should be reviewed and criticized. Yeah, so it helps to be able to say, in even a semi concrete way, hey, this isn't working, it's hurting the economy.
Speaker 2: Right, But yeah, that makes sense, but.
Speaker 1: It's not what the media portrays it to be, some sort of all encompassing It's not a diagnosis with cancer. It's just okay, things are not growing, economics or what's going on.
Speaker 4: If your industry on the entire West Coast is suffering because of something the weather or whatever, you're in a recession every bit as much as if they declared a national recession.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I'm not sure that term means that much to me anymore. What you said makes sense. And again they changed the definition of it or went with the specific definition of it when it applied to Joe Biden, because by the definition we'd all been using our entire adult lives, we were in a recession, and they.
Speaker 2: Didn't want that to be true. Right, yep, what evs?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, and I've lived through I can't even tell you how many in my life, ten twelve, I don't know, thirty, I don't even know, which is part of my point. They come and go and we're all fine, and you know, I don't want it to happen, But it's not like the end of the world. Well, right, and there have been upsides, like I've gotten used to the taste of human flesh. There's been so much cannibalism eating the recessions. Yeah, it's an old hat for me.
Speaker 1: It's the other white meat, as far as I'm concerned and reminds me.
Speaker 4: I got an update on that New York Times subway story that I won't put any more detail on a man who passed away on the subway and then some unfortunate things happened.
Speaker 2: Oh no, after his passing. You don't know this story. Were you here for the story? Maybe you weren't here from the story. Were you not here from the story? Was I at the masters? I don't know. You couldn't have forgotten it. No way you forgot this story.
Speaker 4: Okay, So we'll get through that in hour four, which is a good reason to mention that if you don't get our four or any segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty