Speaker 1: Whoa, Well, well, this episode afternoon edition of bar Friendheimer two. That's something I just came up with right now. But yes, Brian the editor, everyone is rolling. Thank you for checking in on that, because wait, Blake, the way you looked at.
Speaker 2: Your computer there, did you were just verifying you were? I was very I've been I've been recording rolling.
Speaker 1: I know, been bawling weekend. Anyway, this is the afternoon trending show. This What's trending on Thursday, July eleventh. My name is Miles. I'm joined by Blake. I'm sorry, how do you how do you say the last name Blake Box the least Yeah, Blake Vox least box least Yeah. Congratulations on your super rue. I just want to say that publicly.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I told you that in confidence, but he posted it on freak.
Speaker 3: But glad to making you laugh.
Speaker 1: I think that's not just in the back. I kind of like that as a it's like a studio audience. Yeah, yeah, right right, It's like it was sort of like the laugh Kevin you Banks used to do on the Tonight Show band.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, until they took his mic away. They took did they take Kevin you Banks Michael ow No, just like just spreading rumors that Jay Leno would be like, we can't.
Speaker 1: I believe it too.
Speaker 3: I believe I believe it. We can't give it them the only one. Maybe maybe he's told me you can't have a microphones, so we took it away.
Speaker 1: All right, Mavis. Oh wow, what a fucking reference. That's make white wex locks. Thank you Craigslist. He has a new Subaru that he was trying to keep on the low, but he can't because he posted about it, and you were also talking about on this show. I believe to last time you were here because you got a good deal though, right, you prastically made your do a great deal.
Speaker 3: Gret got a great deal.
Speaker 2: I did passively over a period because I thought my old lease was done six months ago. So I've been working on this car for a half a year.
Speaker 1: So, uh, you know you're getting Oh you were grinding people down there.
Speaker 3: I've been.
Speaker 2: I was grinding people down in a obsessively mentally unhealthy way where I couldn't stop thinking about cars. My wife and I had an inside bit where she'd be like, hey, like, what are you doing right now? And then I would just send her like a like a stock photo of a super just like you know where I'm at, Yeah, you know where my head?
Speaker 1: The color you wanted? Was that the color you wanted?
Speaker 2: I only wanted it in that color? Yeah, so they like that color called oh h, I don't like to use industry terms on here, but an alpine green is uh what the color is?
Speaker 3: Yes, so it's the.
Speaker 2: Sun looks a little pistachious, I believe on there so when I'm Britney Carney, very funny comedian says, it looks like a pistachio cream, which I'll push back on until the day I die in that car.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be buried in that car.
Speaker 1: It does look like pistache Wait where did you post this? Am?
Speaker 2: I completely Instagram dot com? So that's Instagram dot com.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's not what's trending, although it is an our parts and minds. It's trending on Uh what's that guy's name? Al Gore's Internet first one Barb Trendheimer too is because again people think this is so stupid. People are predicting that are not predicting. There is I think a whole try from the studios that there could be a potential Barbinheimer esque, you know, uh, synergistic opportunity here between two films being released that'll bring everybody to the box office, with the release of Gladiator two and the first part of Wicked right before Thanksgiving. I don't know who thinks this could ever, This is not going to work. I don't even think what is even the Venn diagram. There's no overlap between the Gladiator two crowd and the Wicked crowd. I know. I think it's movies that people are gonna do on their own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know people who would go to war for their Broadway shows.
Speaker 3: So maybe that's what it is. You know, Like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Let's see what are they gonna do? Is there some people say Glicked, Wikiator, Wicked Dator. I don't know, man, I don't know. I'm glad that someone from my alma mater, UCLA, although their actions towards student protests are fucking abysmal and atrocious, someone from the School of Theater, Film and TV said, I'm not fully sold on this being Barbandheimer two point zero. That's all you need to say.
Speaker 3: It's all you need to say.
Speaker 1: It quoted, it's good when studio is released big titles simultaneously. I do think that they feed off of each other that level of excitement. I think all of those things work in both of these films. I just don't think it's gonna be the lightning in a bottle that Barbenheimer was. It's just not you have a like it's Chris Nolan is already gonna get people being like, oh shit, well a fucking the atomic bomb. And then Barbie is just so culturally ubiquitous. Wicked is not does not have the cultural ubiquity of Barbie. Gladiator too definitely a thing, m hm. But and even me, like, I'm like, I don't know if I'm gonna go see it like right away, but I do want to see it because that guy got eight by a shark somehow in the coliseum.
Speaker 2: They can't let those things out in the colise That's why the Colosseum was so dangerous. I think if you're thinking about like like movies to see or like cultural what like just these dumb like dude things where Hitler Trump's Gladiate like Trump's Rome, you know what I mean, we go this yep, like people like there's so much Hitler shit, like bad Hitler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like people just signed up Hitler movies, you know what I mean. So I don't know. I think like if I had to like Engineer one, it would have to be something like space Jam, but like a better version, like something we're like, suddenly an entire generation.
Speaker 2: Goes, huh yeah, because that's what Barbie did. Everyone go huh Barbie. And space Jam wasn't a toy. It would be if space Jam was a toy. Also, you know, like yeah, like.
Speaker 1: If there was somehow like an a twenty four film version of like Ferbie along with yeah, like yeah, a Tickle Me Elmo a twenty four film, and then I'm trying to like, what's like an action property that we could pair that with.
Speaker 2: Also, I do need to say, I do realize that America did not drop the h bomb on Germany during World War two. It was a World War II reference more than a Hitler. It was a hydrogen bomb either, but no now, and but who who can keep track of those things? Joe Rogan naming his comedy clubs after those bombs. But I would say, yeah, the rooms in his comedy club is little Boy and Fat Man.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what a fucking loser.
Speaker 3: That's not a bit, but I'm laughing as if. But that's not a.
Speaker 1: Fil Yeah, no, I mean it's absurd that it's crazy. Holy shit.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, I would say it's unecessary. But what is a culture? You're right, like, what is like?
Speaker 1: It would have to be like Ferbie's and pizza somehow, yeah, I mean, ye, Herbie right. I don't know the sport of baseball, you know, yeah, something exactly. The World Cup and Coca Cola, I don't know. Actually they're already a sponsor. I don't know. It's all fucked up. Guys, just don't even try. Because the reason Barbenheimer worked the first time because it was organic and people just said that ship and that's how it happened. Stop forcing it, but nice try. Some bad news in the world of entertainment and are revelation that I completely shocked me. So red Box one of the favorite ways to rent a DVD. You know, many years ago, I remember I was a big lover of the Red Box. They are shutting down their business due to my kruptcy, and they are laying off more than a thousand employees and they're just basically just gonna, like, I think, liquidate everything they got this is the thing. So shout out to everybody who look if my condolences for those who are you know, their absolute world has been thrown an absolute tailspin because of this news. Here's the thing I didn't know. The parent company for red Box is Chicken Soup for the sole entertainment. How did I miss this? This is like from the Jack Canfield books of like nonsense advice. They also own Crackle. What does that makes sense? That does make sense that I can see. Do you think we're gonna get because you know, red Box was stuck between They didn't have as much of a rain as obviously a Blockbuster before it or a Netflix after it.
Speaker 3: So Blockbusters people would.
Speaker 2: Make Pilgrimage, pilgrim Ie, pilgrim Ie to them Pilgrimage and there was even you know, like a documentary act, a scripted TV show about the last Blockbuster. Yeah, and yeah, I just feel like, you know, red Box though a great it was a terrific bridge.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think it's something that we will appreciate long after the fact of like, oh thank god we had like a conciliatory. It's the Joe Biden of entertainment sources, and they're like yeah, you know, it was kind of a stop gap and it you know, it did its job and uh you know, well enough. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't even good at times, but.
Speaker 1: Acknowledging that the journey's over.
Speaker 2: And then it slowly faded away, right exactly or quickly in this case.
Speaker 1: Have you was the last time you ever use a red box?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that. Did they come in little sleeves? Because I think that's a thing I didn't like about it, is that I enjoyed looking at like just opening up. I don't know why I enjoyed this. As I'm saying this right now, this doesn't sound interesting at all. Okay, at least you had the cover like the DBD box when you went to a Blockbuster, but there was just these like sleeves, I think, yeah, right, like it made it easier to lose for me. Yeah, I lost them a lot, like I lost a lot of those DVDs.
Speaker 3: I remember, Jesus, did you.
Speaker 1: Use them man a couple of times?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was one right by the seven eleven iceed to I live by, And that would always be like because back before streaming, that was like shit, bro, there was like it was Red Box and Chill. I'm like, what, whatever the fuck is there? We're going to watch that and maybe this will be a weird date.
Speaker 2: I remember we would as a family, like my family would like it was part of a circle where we would go get pizza, like pick up pizza and then on the way home stop by or right box. But you're right, like they did need to have the things in stock. Isn't that funny? Is that sometimes you would you could want a movie and then you just weren't able.
Speaker 1: To watch and you just were like, well, I guess I can guess to watch this unnecessary roughness, necessary roughness. Rather, the comedy film was Sindbad and Everybody all right on next story, that's trending Samsung. So you may have seen some videos of some wild demonstrations in South Korea where unionized workers at Samsung Electronics. They're saying, yo, we are on an indefinite strike. They announced this yesterday on Wednesday, you know again, because workers strike to get higher pay, additional benefits and things that are owed to them as the people that you know, create the fucking wealth for the c suite to you know, just do their parting with thousands of members of the National Samsung Electronics Union launched a temporary three day strike on Monday, but the union said Wednesday that it was announcing an indefinite strike, accusing the man management of being unwilling to negotiate. Samsung is out here really trying to make sure that people are just their fears are they said, quote, Samsung Electronics will ensure no disruptions occur in the production lines. Okay, the company remains committed to engaging in good faith negotiations with the union. Union representatives say that they are not engaging in good faith negotiations and they are still doing shit to complicate things for workers, which guess what, I believe that. But yeah, Samsung is a huge, huge It's like one of the is it the biggest company in South Korea? Anyway, They're massively out they have outsized importance in South Korea. So good luck trying to not I don't know, have your output be disrupted. But I don't know how you do that when everybody is just packing their shit up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was supposed to be like good news, Like, oh, it's supposed to make you feel better as a consumer. It's like, wait a minute, why isn't the output going to be like it should be interrupted?
Speaker 1: Part of me is also just yeah, like I don't know someone who's like, oh thank god. It's like it's not like you're if you want to buy something, it's at the store. Yes, you know what I mean. It's like you're like, well, was the production going to be all disrupted by strikes? I was gonna buy a fan tomorrow. It's already there. It's already there. It's already there.
Speaker 2: A couple months you may not be able to get that fan, but by then it'll be fall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you won't need it. Well, look, hot labor. Everything continues to continues to move forward at a good click, because yes, workers deserve their fair share. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back, and we're back. A bit of good news slash bad vegas bittersweet news. The IRS. They just announced that they've collected one billion dollars in back taxes from quote high wealth tax cheats. So this is the result of their recent initiatives designed to go after what they describe as quote high wealth individuals who have failed to pay their tax debts. Yes, tax cheats, rich assholes who are dodging their tax bill and yet no, they're doing everything they can to keep their taxes low, which is again great story. Although people who are critical of how the IRS moves have also pointed out that quote nearly two thirds of audits initiated in twenty twenty three targeted those making less than two hundred thousand dollars. I don't think these are the people that we're really talking about.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: IRS says that this campaign is focused on taxpayers with more than a million dollars in income. Wow, more than a million dollars in how how you do that? Not even a million dollars and more than two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in recognized two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in tax debt? Ye, who are you?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 1: Is this the fucking money taken? But yeah, but it is. It does need to be said that prior to this, they were like going after people under two hundred thousand. Also, because racism typically factors into things that are happening with the United States government, the IRS also audits black people quote up to four point seven times the rate of non black tax payers, which they said they're going to try and address that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, why would address that?
Speaker 1: What? Why? Why how did that even? Like where is that like racist smokey room meeting where they're like, you know who we got to really hassle are.
Speaker 3: Black tax player?
Speaker 1: I mean I guess it doesn't even need to smoke your room because white supremacy.
Speaker 2: It don't just be out on the front lawn. Yeah, they don't even give a shit, like it's it's terrible. And also this was like this is did it? This was just the past year? Right, Like this is kind of an early like returns on this policy where it's why would you So if you're the irs, you probably want to be able to point to this stat that like, oh hey like tax dodgers. No one likes a person who doubt dodges tax. We took a billion dollars from that sounds so good yee, Like if if a new you know, regime comes in and rolls that back, because I think I saw Elizabeth Warren was making videos about this today, you know, like which is Liz?
Speaker 3: I you know, shout out to Liz.
Speaker 2: But it's it is one of these things where it's like, oh, no, everybody benefits if you take this money from these tax cheaters, these billionaires. Why are you chasing after like these the little person you know? And your ears noting wild because it's so evil.
Speaker 1: Recent statistics say that it's the top one percent is underpaying by around one hundred and sixty billion a year.
Speaker 3: Good So one one hundred and sixtyeth you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean. Yeah, yeah, Like that's where it's always like, no, we did a good thing. It's like, hold on, man, you guys are there's there's estimates out there off of your own data that says there's one hundred and sixty billion dollar fucking hole missing from people dodging their taxes. But again, that's how they can get people to be like, oh okay. That's why I say bittersweet, because it's like, yeah, billion dollars they could be getting maybe at least maybe I don't know, try and get a hundred and then they can really pat each other on the back. But or four yeah, or or even get four yeah. It's such a botic for yeah, now, Blake, we were making jokes before we came on here about this happen right, Yeah, a story about pebbling, And I didn't know what pebbling is because there's a High. There's a headline that says, psychologists explain pebbling and I was like, okay, a wholesome dating trend on the rise, and I'm like, what is going on? So apparently this is a reference to the gentu penguin where they you know, like they're they're part of their mating ritual. First of all, there they have a mate for life and they form like just like sort of you know, the notebook esque connections with their partners. But part of this is during the breeding season, the male penguin looks for the smoothest, most perfect pebble and presents that to the desired mate as of being like, hey, I fuck with you. Here is you pebble. If she accepts, then that is the foundation of their nest. And this is from the Forbes article quote symbolized the beginning of their life together. And I was like, well, what the f oh okay.
Speaker 2: I guess that's just the cutest thing I've ever heard. Okay, yeah, wow, what.
Speaker 1: Do we do that? But apparently they're saying that humans are also doing this, like, but we are doing it in terms of it's like these smaller gestures that like sending memes videos, we like, it's not these are these are our little ways to let someone know that we're thinking of them. And I guess they say, like it's just like it's an act of care. Part of me is like is it? Because sometimes I'm annoying the fuck out of her majesty with being like, yo, did you that fucking video? Doesn't you? And she's like, I don't need to see more like Kendrick Lamar music video breakdowns.
Speaker 3: I'm like, all right, it's just this just being nice? Like what the fuck is this? It's like, hey, oh yeah, there's a term.
Speaker 2: It's when you tell someone that you love you love them, you know, it's called leafing. It's called leafing. It's like, what are you even saying? Like, just isn't this how people are supposed to interact, where you're supposed to be like, hey, like here's something nice, Like why do we need to I don't know. I don't know if I'm on the wrong side of this or not.
Speaker 1: It it feels like this this weird trend of articles we taught. We see this a lot on the show, where people are just merely read like describing something that we all know to be true, but like giving it more of like a succinct thing, whether like versus like being like alienated from your labor. It's like it's called resenteeism or quiet quitting or write these like very normal things in life, but trying to kind of fit them into like these new slangy buzzwords. So like when they go on, it's like it can be all kinds of ways, like sharing music with someone, gift giving handwritten notes. I'm like, this is acts of service. These are love languages.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest, this is the first time I've ever felt and seen Yes, yes, normally it's like.
Speaker 1: Knows crofton, didn't we recently? You're okay? Well after that, Oh I saw I saw christ and now person, Yeah it was great. Weird, girl's very sweet to go to that show. You just feel like the earth has been taken from under your feet because you're like this was just called affection kindness or like not affection, but kindness, gestures of kinds, like.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're oxygen ing. It's like, oh, it's because you're breathing. Isn't this just something like I don't understand?
Speaker 1: So you not the dating trend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, are there couples that just sit in silence and never meet each other. Like isn't that just a person on the street, Like right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone just like there's a tweet that they quoted in this Forbes Arcle said that friend who sometimes sends too many memes, links and videos. They're out there braving the most unwell digital spaces, risking their mental health to hunt and gather for your amusement. Cherish them. No, I have friends like this. They're just on an infinite TikTok scroll and they just habitually just put the send function on the video.
Speaker 2: They like that is I do you have people who do that where they just send you video after not even with a comment, just like they just send videos.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah all the time. And I'm not on social media all the time. So every now and then they're like, yo, to see that video and I'm like, oh, I'm sorry, dude, I have not I have not checked my inbox or whatever. And I look and it's like there's like forty two and like which one it's like the one though, was the farting one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, which.
Speaker 1: There's sixteen farting ones. The one that it was like the taco bell, like after you have taco bell, like sort of like that was a theme of like Okay, well.
Speaker 3: That's that was a good one. That was a good one. But that was good one. It was that was a good one.
Speaker 2: No, I've I'm such a people pleaser that I used to watch every single one and feel a need to give them an original thought, you know, like whenever someone would send this to me and it's Beau, I've been pebbled to death. It's not pebbling, it's stoning. I've been stoned to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these fucking videos pebbled to death in the public square, in the public Yeah. I mean it's funny, like I'm I have my people person my people pleasing tendencies too, But it's funny like I also have these like weird limits where sometimes like I'm like, dude, I what the fuck do you want to do a lot of shit? Like you fucking keep up with all the like I got, I got, I got other things I gotta do, yes first. It's like other times someone will be like, hey, you want to go to this restaurant. In my mind, I'm like hell no, and I'm like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: That's like at least how mind comes out a lot of the time, just not pushing back when someone makes a suggestion for something to do.
Speaker 2: That's really funny, at least with a restaurant suggestion, they researched a restaurant and then there was some critical thought involved some where, just when you shoot off a video. It's so, this is a minute and a half of my time. I stopped responding. This's the first time I've ever like set a boundary in this way. I just don't respond to it anymore unless someone says, hey, this is why I think you would like this, and it's like, oh, okay, cool, Now there's some effort being put in for a for a conversation back and wth.
Speaker 1: I'm really curious who even said this is called pebbling. That's That's what I'm interested in. How did we get to us describing this? Was like in this one part they're talking about sharing music and it's basically what we did when we were burning custom CDs for people like yo, I'll throw all this shit on a CD. This is for you. This is a mixtape I made for you, Like we've been doing this so and like the pebbling, I guess maybe just to give a bit more texture about like this is this is this is actually you showing that you really deeply care about someone. And maybe I'm like, I don't know, I'm just like hooking up the front of the homies with.
Speaker 3: Like the new mixtape.
Speaker 2: But I guess, yeah, Pebbler, I think you're a serial pebbler, and as a as a fellow pebbler, I think you nailed it where it's it's just adding a term to something that doesn't need a term, and honestly, I think it does it a disservice. We're calling it pebbling. It's like, oh, these penguins do it with pebble.
Speaker 3: Thoughtful.
Speaker 1: I don't think it does the full justice of you're being thoughtful. You're being thoughtful.
Speaker 3: That's it. You're a thoughtful.
Speaker 1: Friend, I would describe. I try to be as thoughtful as possible. I like to keep my ear open when people say that they like something, and then I can connect the dots and maybe find a gift or you know, just a movie whatever. But yeah, we're just being thoughtful, man.
Speaker 3: Just being thoughtful, not pebbling, that's all.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 1: We're not subbling. Okay, sorry, not doing it. I'm gonna be thoughtful. Oh you wanted a pebbler, Well guess what all you get is a thoughtful human. Are you okay with that? I'm not a penguin or Gen two. I'm sorry if I'm mispronouncing that or hen to Look, I'm a I'm a flesh and blood dude. Man. Now you're burning CDs.
Speaker 2: The foundation of our nest is CDs. No memory X is yah.
Speaker 1: Man, we're using heddle with the memory X.
Speaker 3: Is it live or is it memory?
Speaker 1: You know the or the real Shout out to everybody who had the verbatim when you're picking up the spindle of verbatims, you know what I mean? All right, Well, anyway, that's gonna do it for us as we fucking loser millennials talk about blank CDs they love or do to cdr W you know what I mean. If you can rinse and reuse anyway.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so when we go we don't have to talk to much about it. But yeah, you can reuse us anyway. That's gonna do it for us.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 1: We are going to be back tomorrow with a brand new episode. It's gonna I'm telling you the energy in tomorrow's episode.
Speaker 3: It's it's great.
Speaker 1: You should wear some kind of ankle, like weights or something to keep your body from levitating off of the ground, because.
Speaker 3: A life jacket.
Speaker 1: Also, it gets pretty goofy in the best way that only Blake and I can do. So thank you Blake for joining me. I will see you soon. I will see y'all soon. In terms of the listeners, I'll hear you soon. We'll be back, like I said, tomorrow. Until then, take care of yourselves, take care of each other, get your flu shots, get your vaccines, get your wear your masks. Man, the fucking COVID never went away. This is la is shit never went away. Even though Joe Biden was like I ended it. You're like, well, no, you ended support, you ended helping out. But yeah, yeah, I hear you. Yeah yeah, so that part ended, And yeah, have fun. That's that's what i'd say. Kids.
Speaker 3: Just have fun.
Speaker 1: Hey, the baseball cat backwards.
Speaker 2: And bring your pebbles out, ye, send those memble Yeah, get us with our with our National League fitted hats.
Speaker 1: Right, y'all, take care of yourselves, be good. Love you by