Speaker 1: She checked a lot of boxes in that regard, and she knew it, and she worked it, and she worked it all the way to the slammer.
Speaker 2: There Are No Girls on the Internet as a production of iHeartRadio and Unbossed Creative. I'm Bridge Tad and this is There Are No Girls on the Internet. You probably know the story of Elizabeth Holmes, the scrappy, deep voice Stanford dropout who used her college money to start fair Nose, a company that promised to disrupt blood testing with the use of a device capable of screening for everything from cancer to aids with a single drop of blood. She even had a piffy little story about how she was inspired to start their Nose because she was afraid of needles and couldn't stand to let a little prick to draw her blood be stronger than she was. Honestly, it's kind of a great story and it worked. In twenty fourteen, Forbes named Elizabeth Holmes the world's youngest self made female billionaire, and by that time Tharaohnose had raised over four hundred million dollars in venture capital and was estimated to be worth billions. But it was, of course all a scam. Pharaohnos's devices could never test blood. Elizabeth Holmes and her former partner COO Sonny Balwany played everyone wealthy investors and board members, including Rupert Murdoch, former Secretary of Education Bessi Devas, and former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. The retailed pharmacies meant to house the devices, and most importantly, the patients, like the mother with a history of miscarriages whom their nose devices wrongly told that she would never be able to have a baby, someone given a false HIV diagnosis who then had to wait months until they could afford a follow up test, and someone given a false cancer diagnosis. Elizabeth Holmes hurt real people, but that fact did not stop her from doing a fluffy profile in the New York Times magazine back in May, right as her sentencing for fraud was in the headlines called Liz Holmes wants you to forget about Elizabeth. I'm sure she does, where she soft launches her new nickname, Liz not Elizabeth, and gives us the I'm just like you treatment, complete with glossy photographs of her cradling her newborn infant in her arms. A lah Madonna and child if Madonna had been facing jail time now. The piece was pretty universally reviled, and with the recent news from last week that Elizabeth Holmes's sentence is being quietly shortened by two years, the profile seemed like a perfect bookend because Elizabeth Holmes rose to prominence with the help of slick media profiles, and it left me wondering about the role that those exact profiles had in her rise and ultimate fall from grace and the business of how those slick media profiles come to be. So I turned to an expert.
Speaker 1: Hi, my name is Leah Goldman. I am the deputy editorial director of Geomedia. I also run a newsletter, a social first newsletter called Hazmat Hotel, which is media analysis and criticism, unfiltered, uncensored.
Speaker 2: Whenever I'm looking for like an insidery media hot take, I go straight to your feed. You know you've always got something interesting to say. How did you get here?
Speaker 1: I've been in media, yeah, since the dawn of time. It feels like. I started out in Forbes magazine. I was a business reporter. I knew nothing about business, but those were the good old days where you could learn on the job. You didn't need advanced degree or even a j school degree. And I was there for ten years and I learned how to write an edit and report from some of the smartest people in the game. Those were the days where you could get fired for a fact checking error, so we were just a very buttoned up group. And after that I went over to Marie Claire. I wanted to try more general interest magazine, and I was very fortunate because it was the you know, media had started to coalesce around women's media. There really wasn't a formal women's media outside of Jezebel really at that point, so I was there. It was pre lean in, so I was there at a very formative time, which was kind of exciting and also strange because suddenly women were hot and in like a business sense right, and it was exciting. There was a lot of interest on the advertising side, which was unusual, so that was cool. I got to do very cool things there. Then I went over to run Refinery twenty nine newsroom before I got recruited to work in television at A and E, which was really the I would say the seminal moment in my career because I got to see how the other half lives. If you're in media, you know, you sort of look over that fence with envy, with lust, with your nose pressed against the wall and your tongue hanging out. I want to work in. Everybody, whether they'll admit it or not, wants the story that gets optioned for a movie that becomes argo. And so I got to work where those things get made, and I got to see how see what that was really like, which blew my mind, taught me a lot. I call it my business school. I just actually used that phrasing this morning. It was my business school in a lot of ways. And then decided after that I'm gonna write I'm a writer, and I am a writer. And after I left A and E, I was working under Nancy Debuke. Nancy went over Device, so I had to write out my contract. I was writing. I was writing full time, and then COVID came and ended up working at Goo, which has been its own crazy trip. That's what That's how.
Speaker 2: I got here as a pioneer of women's media especially. How have you seen that field evolve?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm always like a little leery of that, of being tagged with that, because in fact, there were like real pioneers in women's media, not you know, I just got lucky to be at an establishment kind of media outlet that happened to be in fashion, so in beauty.
Speaker 2: So it was.
Speaker 1: Flush, right, it had resources, which a lot of the other like Jezbel didn't have that. So they they you know, they all credit where it's due, and it's not Mary Claire where it's due. But I will say this, The one thing I do, you know, feel like I can crow about, I'm proud of it is that when I was at Mary Clare, I created the very first dedicated section in a women's magazine devoted to career.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So historically women's magazines would cover it through the lens of money and like the big cliche was that credit card stuck in a block of ice. That's how we talk to women about their careers. It was through like how you spend your money and how to be frugal. You know. So here was the first time we weren't talking about getting to the top. We were talking about what it was like at the top, and I think that was very new. And so the idea was to focus less on the burdens though there were certainly burdens and less on the challenges, though there were absolutely challenges of getting to the top, but more like, this is the view from the top, and this is how you can change things once you get there, and this is why it's important that you get there. And so when it feels like you're ready to quit, or you feel like you don't have a shot, or you feel you know, discouraged, just remember this is the view from the top.
Speaker 2: To really understand Elizabeth Holmes, you need to understand the era where she rose to prominence. The twenty tens were just a different time. You kind of had to be there. It was a different time for media, a different time for women. In twenty thirteen, Facebook's then COO Cheryl Sandberg released her book lean In, which was kind of pushed as a manifesto for a certain kind of working white lady. A year later, in twenty fourteen, Sofia Amoroso, founder of the retailer Nasty Gal, releases girl Boss, which is kind of the same thing as lean In, but with an alty, punk rock diy ethos. That same year, Elizabeth Holmes's media attention explodes, Fortune Forbes, t The New York Times Style magazine inc. She's not just in these magazines, she's on the cover writing about women and work and money and success. Just felt hot. It's an era that Leah remembers very well.
Speaker 1: It was an exciting time to be alive. It felt like we were on the cusp of something and then lo and behold, we were on the cusp of something.
Speaker 2: What was it like to be doing this work through so many different eras like the lean In era, the girl Boss era, whatever era we're in now. I don't even know what the era is that we're telling women through media, Like, what is it bed like to see all of these different changes?
Speaker 1: You know, it's hard, it's hard to relive the Rah Rah era. It definitely felt It definitely felt like we were in the hot place, like we were in a hot zone that were exciting. There were conferences. Oh my god, it was all about the conferences. It was always about the fucking conferences. And it was always the same people you'd see both on the panels and in the audiences. That's what I remember. It was like, Oh she's here again, Oh she's here. Like there were just you know, people who denizens of these things. So it was like a club right, and coming out of Forbes, I never felt like I belonged to a club because Forbes really did not subscribe to this idea that there was like a media community. It always was standoffish about being part of a club. And so when I got to Hurst, which owned Mary Clare, I wasn't terribly well connected because I didn't, you know, it wasn't part of my upbringing, so to speak. And so now I was part of a club, and people started knocking on my door, and suddenly I'm editing Sophia Marusso and suddenly I'm in a off the record conversation with Cheryl Samdberg, and it was like, oh my god, Like it was cool, you know, and it was fun, and it came with all sorts of crazy perks. The downside, obviously, is like now in retrospect, we can see how, you know, how much of a herd mentality it was. In fact, I was like, you know, looking through I always I have all my stuff from that period, all my spreadsheets, all my contacts, my ROLLO ad act hey, like you know Elizabeth Holmes from there, nos, and like it was.
Speaker 2: We were we were or not?
Speaker 1: I could I let me talk for myself, I could have done a better job of being more circumspect and asking more questions and holding people accountable instead of buying into this very heady era for women. And it was heady like it was. It was like things, you know, it was like the era where Hillary Clinton was going to be president and like things were changing, things were afoot. So obviously we all are living with the fallout from that, you know, that tunnel vision, and I was part of that, Like I have to own that I was part of that tunnel vision.
Speaker 2: Part of Elizabeth Holmes's success is how she worked media. A young blonde Stanford dropout in a black Steve Jobs turtleneck who was going to revolutionize blood testing. It was just too perfect to pass up, not just for women's media, but for media in general.
Speaker 1: I think Elizabeth Holmes checked a lot of boxes for starters, like she got it right. She got that for media, not just's media, but especially women's media, which could help drive a train.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: The dirty secret about media even now, right even after all the reckonings and the closures, is that we all look at each other and we're all like, oh, how they get they got the exclusive, or who's on their list. And it's not that we're lazy, but we're just like always looking over at the other person's like who did they get and why did they get that person? I need to invite that person to my event. So, you know, when you made like if you could get into a women's book, if you could get into a women's magazine, other we started to notice that other people would put these women who we had discovered or we had you know, and I'm not talking about there no specific Elizabeth specifically, but just generally, you know, they would start to appear on other lists. So we felt like we were part of the game. And I think she understood that innately that she could be a very She was a very good shorthand for a certain type of woman that fit a very accessible profile. I mean, the most obvious, the most obvious billboard for that is her wardrobe, right, Like, I'm the female Steve Jobs, Like, you can't get you can't get a shorter shorthand than that, right, Like how easy to digest is that? So she instantly got how to navigate media, which I find fascinating because generally speaking, I think tech people in tech and other industries outside media still don't get media. But she got it. So she got the look, she got the speak, she got the way to distill your story and your what your company does in a way that made sense for like an article that was only three you know, a little caption that was only three sentences, or a full on profile. So she understood how to you know, she understood how to make it sing for a media person. Like when we go into I think, you know, it's helpful for people to understand how it worked in the magazine business, and though it's changed considerably since then, it'll give you a sense of why people ended up occupying the spaces in you know, in the culture that they did. When we would go in to pitch someone for a magazine page, it wasn't a done deal. I wouldn't just go in and be like, I'm gonna put so and so on a page. I had to get approval. I had to get my editor's approvally editor and she's approval. So you would always walk in with you know, your pitch, you want it, and of course you want your pitch to get approval. You want your pitch to win. And a picture pitch in a picture and you know, and so they're looking at it like, oh, I won't do I. Is it diverse enough, is it glossy enough? Is it you know? Is it gonna work? Like I'm not going to bullshit you and pretend that it was very well meaning, because there were pieces of it that weren't well meaning. There were pieces of it that were like, is this gonna look good on a page? And I hate that that's.
Speaker 2: What it was. But it was.
Speaker 1: So she checked a lot of boxes in that regard, and she knew it, and she worked it, and she worked it all the way to the slammer.
Speaker 3: Let's take a quick break eder back.
Speaker 2: Everyone's heard of fake it till you make it, and it's especially a thing in tech and media. Uber famously has never turned a profit. But when does fake it till you make it cross over from an ethos to an actual crime? Just ask the folks at Ozzi Media, whose CEO Carlos Watson was arrested earlier this year for fraud for allegedly overvaluing his media company's audience in an attempt to defraud investors. According to journalist Ben Smith at the New York Times, the company COO and co founder Samir Rau even went so far As disguising his voice to impersonate a YouTube executive on a conference call with Goldman Sachs in an attempt to secure a forty million dollar investment. Stories like this one and Faranos makes clear how much of the shiny, flashy success can just be a grift, one that is buttressed by tech press failing to peek behind the curtain and ask the right questions, questions like what's going on here? How are you making money? Is this whole thing legit? Do you think that there are ways that there are tech people who are kind of playing that game today where you kind of I don't want to use the word trick, but you know how to play the game. And you know that journalists and media folks might also have deadlines, might also want their their piece to look a certain way. So they're just like, we're not going to ask too many critical questions. We're just going to run with this and if it turns out to be a scam, well phobe.
Speaker 1: It one hundred percent. This is like when we talk about my SO, I like, I I have a nose for this. I get to my DNA as much as I, you know, often entertain the idea of going into another industry like I can't. It just keeps pulling me back in. But these this is why, because I often have these conversations like I don't understand this, Like I don't understand they're there. I get the optics of it, I get why it works and why they're getting the press, but I don't get there there. And I'm going to tell you that Ozzie Media. I was talking about Ozzie Media in my for what It's Worth. I mean, I have no evidence of this and credit where's due to bed Smith? But like I was talking about Azzimedia forever because I remember those three years when Ozzi Fest was trying and they could never do an actual Azzi Fest. But I remember seeing ads on the subway and the tickets were expensive, and I was like, who's going to these things? And also like, more pressingly, how did they get that talent? Because having tried to book events at Hurst and Forbes, I know that it's hard to get even one person to agree, let alone all those people to agree without paying them, So like are they getting paid and if so, where's the money coming from? Like I had very like basic questions about how this all worked. And so it wasn't surprising to me when it was all smoke and mirrors. But I have those conversations all the time. There are some women and men, but some women in the space that I often like, I have this parlor game I play with some friends. It's like how does what's It's like, how does this person get by? That's the game I play, How does this person get by? Because I see I see this like world of success and a business, but I don't see that business in the wild, right, Like I don't see people using the company, the product. I don't see the copy, the content. I don't understand how it works. And maybe I'm just not that smart or maybe I don't understand the business. But like I sometimes ask myself, how is that a thing? And then I'm like, oh, they're playing a media game. That has to be the only answer.
Speaker 2: Well, that really goes back to Elizabeth Elizabeth Holmes, where like there is so much fake it till you make it. I have that same thing where I look at people. It's a lot of men, but not all men, who are building media products, right, And it's like part of me is like I don't understand how they have this much funding, how they have this many people on their masthead, but it doesn't seem like people are reading this, like are people subscribed? But I just don't know, like how is the mathmathing on this? And I do think there's this there is this dynamic of people faking it till they make it, and you're not supposed to really peek behind the curtain because if you did, you might see that it's a house of cards or it's a little bit of a grift.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And now that I'm a little older, a little wiser, a little more bruised from you know, certain people or things that I myself pushed in those you know, raw ra days, I this is partly what I do with Hazmat Hotel, is I ask those questions like is this really someone we should be covering with this much breathless you know, like eye eyes, wide saucer eyes, kind of bullishness, or is this something we should be a little more skeptical about? And so like the Elizabeth Holmes thing, that story that ran recently, the one you know, after she'd been convicted, and it was like the Madonna and Child picture now like a notorious picture that they ran in the business section. If I recall, like, to me, that was scandalous, Like I actually, I think it's a testament to how fractured media is that it wasn't a bigger scandal because that it managed to pass all those checkpoints and get not just the coverage but the length. Do you know how expensive it is to commission a photographer for a shoot like that? There were wardrobe changes in that shoot. There was probably a stylist on that shoot. Now did Elizabeth Holmes pay for it? I don't know, but like we're talking, this was like a resource intensive shoot for a newspaper, you know. Over I think it was like three jumps front page and then two and then spread. So like that's that's an investment of a story. And so that response afterwards that like oh it's winking, you know, like there's a winking aspect to the store. You just don't get the joke. No, no, no, no, no, no no no no. We don't do that at the Times, like you're not GQ. You don't get you know, like no, and also like don't talk down to me that you and ps. I love the New York Times. I love and hate the New York Times. It's like it's my Bete noir. I'm like obsessed with the times, but I just felt like that response did not wash with me. And I was insulted by that response because I felt like, you, of all people, should not go around pretending you're smarter than your audience. Like that's not cool, that's not the deal we have with each other. That, oh you didn't get the joke, it was a winking story. No, no, no, Well that bothered me.
Speaker 2: What do you make of that response? Because I read the Vanity Fair piece about how the profile came to be and they were like, oh, it wasn't a pr piece, like it was pitched to us and it was all above board. It certainly didn't sound that way. I agree with you. But I read another take that was like, maybe it's a piece about how easy it is for you to get conned and the reporter also got scammed by Elizabeth, and it sort of meant to be like a like a warning piece about how easy it is to fall for a grifter. What do you what do you take of that? Of that or what do you make of that response?
Speaker 1: Well, this is exactly what I mean when I say, you know, the winking aspect of it, and why I didn't wash with me for starters like, look, we're in an era now where you have a nanosecond. Even The Times maybe has two nanoseconds with its audience, like it gets the benefit of the doubt. But broadly speaking, like we're in an era where the competition for your attention is ruthless. So as I tell you know my colleagues at GEO and beyond, you don't get the benefit of sitting on the reader's shoulder and whispering in their ear. It's tongue in cheek. The idea that you have that is is ludicrous, it's laughable, and it's ridiculous, Like it's on its face it's ridiculous. And in the business section, no less, not the style, like all of it just didn't was like irritated me that that that's what we're going to go out with, that's the that's the narrative we're going to go out with. This. It was a total come on, It was a total pr thing. Listen, if I got a call that said you can have the pre jail Elizabeth Holmes for a Q and A hell yeah, I would take it. But that's not the issue. The issue is not that they took an interview with her. It's how it was packaged and how it was and how it was delivered to us at this moment in time. Her crime maybe not as worse as you know, the we work guy, but like according to who right like her crime she heard people. She defrauded people. So not only is the issue this like you know, this a notion that we didn't get the nature of the story, but also you're giving three pages of real estate to a woman who's had plenty of ink by the way, and has been convicted of very serious crimes. Like I just that bothers me. For every story you do, there's a story you're not doing. We're in the age of limited restore for media, like notoriously, these resources are scarce, even at a company like The Times, So I forever story you're doing, there's a story you're not doing. And that's what I spent a lot of time thinking about, why did this story pass muster? So like, for example, what caught my eye just recently was you know, I can't remember if it was Twitter or threads, but Washington, the Washington Post was pushing a newsletter about Barbie, which blew my fucking mind because Washington Post a newsletter which is a separate product that requires resources. It requires some engineering support, it requires product support, it requires editorial support, so lots of different stakeholders, resource intensive. It has to be populated with content, has to have a calendar like these are all things that go into something like that about Barbie. So that tells me Barbie's doing phenomenal numbers for the Washington Post. Otherwise why would they do it? Which is interesting given their audience and their and their birth right, their remit. That's caught my eye, and I just thought I need to hear more about that. I need to understand how that came to be.
Speaker 2: How do you sniff it out? Cause you're no one is sniffing out these like these questions that need to be asked in stories like you what gets your alarm bells ringing when you see something you're like, I don't know about this, Like I saw your your story about Amazon Prime Day and the way that that was getting coverage, which I never thought about it before. How all of these different publications are like here are the best deals for Amazon Prime Day? Even publications that every other day are critical of Amazon and their business practices. How do you sniff it out when something just doesn't seem right to you.
Speaker 1: I just I'm obsessed with media, Like I'm a media junkie. I sound so stupid when you hear yourself say it, But I just love media. I love it and I hate it. I'm both tortured by it and obsessed with it. And I you know, it's like it's just how I'm wired at this point. So how do I sniff it out? I don't know. Like I read a lot and I ask a lot of questions. It's why I got into the business. I'm a curious cat. And I also love to talk to people. Love to talk to people and find out like what's hurting their business, what they're thinking about, who's up and coming in their business, who they're afraid of, and if they'll talk to me, I will absolutely talk to them. So there's just a lot, you know, I guess I'm just interested.
Speaker 2: More After a quick break, let's get right back into it today. Part of Leea's work is sniffing it out when media stories just don't seem right and more times that I'm proud of. Leah's work has challenged me to think outside of my own preconceived frameworks. For instance, back in May, I came across a viral TikTok purporting to show boxes and boxes of books being removed from a school library in Florida. Naturally I instantly contextualize this story within the larger cond text of book bands happening in Florida and across the country. Now, this is obviously a real thing that is happening in Florida, but that particular thirty second TikTok might not have actually been showing the full story. I mean this as a compliment. It might not sound like it you often are saying. It's often like not what you might think, right, So, like, your coverage really challenges me to look beyond my own biases or my own understanding of how I think stories come together in media, and it doesn't always align with my conventional wisdoms or you know, biases or whatever I might be thinking. Like, and you do such a good job of pulling back the layers to what's actually going on. I'm thinking, in particular of that viral TikTok where it was like a school library and they had all these boxes and boxes of books, and presumably these are books that are being removed from the school library because they're inappropriate really feeds into the conversation we're all having about things like book bands and you know, books being challenged in libraries. You called the school or call the library to actually ask what's going on. And there was actually more to that story than like that thirty second TikTok. What have you believe?
Speaker 1: No, yes, I remember that. It feels like a century ago, but I think it might have been a month or two ago. Yeah, so there was that viral TikTok of like two bins filled with books. So there was the knee I guess the knee jerk reaction is what usually catches my attention, and then I'm like, huh, you know in that case, I also like to test myself, right, I like to see if I can find a source who's going to give me this scoop quickly. So I'm always like, if I see that in the morning, I'll buy all my goals to get it done by the end of the day because I want to be able to tell a reporter despite whatever deadlines you have, you can usually get a response by the end of the day. So part of it is just me staying on my toes in that way. It was pretty easy because I think it was Broward County and there's like a Department of D there, and they put me in touch with their comps person, So I did get an answer by the end of the day. Now then sevitable follow up I should have done to that was do we believe the Department of ED right like they said? If I recall correctly, They said that they are.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yes, there was a settlement. So that was the interesting piece of this. I learned from calling the comms person at the Department of ED, at the Board of ED whatever it is, that there was a lawsuit several years ago from black and brown students the parents of them because their schools did not have books that were as recent as new, as in good quality and like the breath of books in their school libraries that the more affluent white schools had. So I'm pretty sure it was Barra County Pass there was a lawsuit. In the settlement, they agreed that every ten years or so that they were going to upgrade the libraries. They had to by law, and so this was part of that settlement. We are required to upgrade these books, and these are the books that no longer meet our standards because they're old and they're dated and whatever. And so that's kind of fascinating because that turns the whole narrative on its head. Right, Actually, they're complying with a lawsuit that's supposed to provide equity for students who might otherwise not get it. And that's like, that's an important thing we should be talking about.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: That's not to say the book bannings are not important, that one hundred percent are. But we have a big problem in this country of misinformation and people believing that there's bias in media. And I do see it sometimes, and I think that's an example of it where and it's not coming from a venal place, it's not coming from a malicious place. It's coming from a place like it's easy to believe that it makes sense that that. Of course, we're looking at them throwing away books that might be, you know, about subjects that we want them to learn about. But we have to do our job.
Speaker 2: Leah critiques journalism because she has so much respect for the field. Journalists like Evan Gerskovich, the first American journalist to be imprisoned in Russia since the Cold war base, imprisonment and worse, just for doing their jobs and reporting. So journalism is something to be respect affected and protected.
Speaker 1: You've opened the door to my big spiel. My big spiel is that journalists want to be seen as a noble profession, and there is a nobility to it. But to be afforded the rights and privileges that reporters get in the courts, in people's minds and culture, you have to live up to standards that are a tradition, an honor bound tradition of the profession, and that is reporting and doing your due diligence. That's like fundamentally the basics of it. You need to do your homework and you need to make the calls and so. And it has real life repercussions because we're seeing courts claw back writes and privileges for reporters all the time. We're seeing, you know, reporters not be able to maintain confidentiality with sources. In certain cases they have to turn over their notes. They're being imprisoned for maintaining confidentiality court case after court case. This is very worrisome. I know this because I work with a for amendment lawyer who's like the top of the game. I'm one of the privileges of my job is I get to work with this like well known First Amendment lawyer Ky Falkenberg, So I hear about these cases all the time, and so they're having real life impact on journalists around the country. So we damn well better do our part and not buy into narratives because they make for cheap stories. Have I written my share of them? You bet I have, and I am embarrassed by them. I am regretful of them, and I hope I never repeat them. But like, these are the lessons we have to learn from the last decade, and it pains me to no end to see you know, reporters like just like I think it's something we need to champion as a group. We have this, you know, this poor Wall Street journal reporter stuck in a Russian jail for doing exactly what he should be doing for reporting, you know, for reporting, and he you know, he's missing his family, he's he's probably suffering. Lord knows what we can't take for granted that there are repercussions to what we do. I think it's very serious our jobs, and it is a noble profession, but then we have to do our part to live up to what makes it noble. We have to report, we have to like make the calls. It's that simple. That's how I see it.
Speaker 2: I briefly worked in a newsroom, and I could see myself just seeing that TikTok, for instance, and just writing it up like this gave me a big emotional reaction that aligned with my preconceived biases or my understanding of the world, and not picking up the phone and making that call, not doing the work of actually getting that there's more to the story than what I just saw on this TikTok. I'm really grateful that you're modeling how to not just fall right into that like easy story, easy write up, and tell a fuller story because it really matters well.
Speaker 1: I appreciate hearing that I've certainly know endured my shirt blowback for having that opinion, because I think it's often confused or conflated with conservatism, and I absolutely do not identify as a conservative. I think I'm pretty upfront with my politics, which is also odd for a journalist. But I will tell you this, like one of the most memorable conversations I've had was during covid. I started this podcast because I was like, you know, home like everybody else was, and I wanted to stay sharp. So I taught myself had a podcast, and part of it was just like figuring out who to talk to. I need to talk to smart people who have thoughts on what's happening. And one of the first conversations I had was with Errol Lewis, and Erra Lewis is New York famous, like he's New York One reporter, like like old school, like this guy is it right? But he also appears on I forget what network, but he appears on cable all the time. He's just he just knows his shit. Era Lewis is the guy and I had a nice conversation, like I really memorable. I remember like listening to it again and again after because what he said was so so it was profound, like I'd never thought about it like that. We talked about objectivity, which is the hot button issue for journalists right now, and he was like, look, I have opinions. I don't shy away from sharing my opinions, but they're informed, like nobody knows this town better than I do. When I show up to a meeting and I'm covering it. I know exactly what happened at the ten meetings before. I know who the players are, and I know why they're saying what they're saying. So I come to it with this breath and with this experience that is not challenged. By the way, you will never hear anyone challenge Erra Lewis for bias. Why because he did the work. He did the work, and so I thought that's so interesting, Like, yes, of course, of course, you're a human being, Like you're not one hundred percent objective. You have feelings about this issue, you believe in right and wrong, you believe some issues fall on certain sides, and you're you know, And he doesn't necessarily write it like down the line, but it's informed and he brings that expertise to the four and I think that's that for me, was like, that's become my north star. Whether he realizes or not, but he had a real impact on me. That conversation.
Speaker 2: That girl Boss lean in era that allowed Elizabeth Holmes to rise up in the ranks has kind of come and gone. And after all that, all that flash and promise around women in the twenty tens, today it's kind of hard to not feel like we're in a bit of a rougher place. But one truth is that, with all its flaws, women's media has always been there telling our stories and speaking to us, even when other types of media.
Speaker 1: Work it's a super fraud conversation. When I was at Murray Clare, there were some things that were inviolable, right, women's abortion, women's reproductive rights, gay rights, LGBTQ rights. There were certain values that the women's magazine was not negotiable on this, certainly this one, and I think that's true across women's media written large. There are certain things if you're going to be and we don't speak of them. We just not We just live them. We say that because for decades women's magazines this like afterthought in media, This looked down upon category occupied a very i won't even say protected, but like a special place. We were in nail salons, We were in hair salons, places that men weren't, and so we could have conversations with you that you couldn't have at home, because your husband would beat the shit out of you if you talked to him about it. Right, we could talk about how like, oh I got a terrible sonogram back and I'm not sure I can keep this baby, or oh my husband's beating me, or oh I you know, I'm not satisfied sexually. Like these were stories that women's media was telling, and we can hold our nose up at them and say, oh, women in peril, and you know they they codified certain stereotypes of women, and there's they're sure, like we can have that discussion, but we also need to talk about how this sneered at form of me was the one place where you could talk to a woman like she was in the bathroom at a restaurant and asked for a tampon, Like you couldn't do that in US Weekly or USA Today or People magazine. And so I just want to like acknowledge you couldn't do that because we allowed for women that freedom. And that's part of the DNA of this repro rights thing, you know, it just it just is we take for granted that it is because it was early on it was like this secret, private forum we could have discussions where we didn't judge women. Maybe we judge them about their weight, We definitely did that. We judged them about their skin and their age. We one hundred percent did that. But we also talked to them about the you know, like nothing is as black and white as like good bad. It was a very nuanced thing and so strange. But it's hard to have nuanced conversations about media with media people.
Speaker 2: Do you ever worry that I don't even know how to phrase this.
Speaker 1: Now I'm gonna get canceled?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they think get do you word? Is this something that because you you say what's on your mind and you tell it like it is. I don't always agree, like I'm always sometimes all read things and I'm like, ah, that hits me, that hits me weird, but it's not not true.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Do you worry about being too outspoken or saying the wrong thing?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: I mean my husband hates it, you know, he's just like, you know, what are you doing it? It's not that it's like I don't know. I guess Like I'm a middle aged person who's been in media for twenty five years. I've seen the best of our business. I've seen the worst of our business. But I've also seen like the very thing that I love about this business, like the wanting to talk about things and talk to people and hear what they have to say, whether you like it or not, Like I just don't like that we're becoming resistant to it. And I get it, Like I get it. I get why I don't have a trans child who's rights are up for grabs. I'm not raising a kid who you know, I'm not looking for, you know, like I don't have as much on the line as a lot of other people do. And so I get that. Maybe I don't appreciate the stakes, but there's something about not being able to talk about it, not like I don't like that I'm the only person or like that comes with risks, Like I don't like that we're not supposed to talk about things, Like what's wrong with talking about things? I'm not I'm not like trying to shove policy down your throat. I'm just trying to have a conversation. I'm trying to understand the world a little better, trying to understand like we should be able to talk. You know, I've been spending a lot of time with I've been spending a lot of time watching Phil Donahue.
Speaker 2: Ooh, oh my god, my mom would If my mom were here, she would be so down for a conversation about Donna Yu. I saw your tweet about wanting like we need a documentary, like a look back.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it makes me feel very old that you reference your mother. Maybe as old as your mother.
Speaker 2: No, no, not yet. No if he just happened. Still love Donahue.
Speaker 1: I love Donahue. He was on after school when I got home, and I remember it was the first time I'd seen anyone with AIDS. I can still remember that episode with Ryan White and Jeanie White. It was the first time i'd seen you know gay in talk about you know being gay. But I just remember, like there wasn't the chair throwing that came afterwards, right, like it's not it's not new to this era. We saw that shortly after. But he had a way about him that felt like I don't know if it was the error or him or maybe a bit of both, but he had a way about him that opened the floor to people to talk about how they really felt and want what they could learn from someone who didn't feel that way, And there was something like nonjudgmental about it. And he also pushed like if you watch some of those episodes, he would push them so, but why do youth, you know, like he was pushy, and I just there's like it was special. It was like a special thing to watch because he did not shy from hot button issues. We could never there could never be a sho like that right now, never ever, ever, ever, and why not? It was like, why can't we just talk to each other anyway? I sound corny, but that's how I feel.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't. It doesn't sound corny at all. I can't wait to if younger listeners are like who, I can't wait to spark a Donna Hue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, render for Donna Hue renaissance.
Speaker 2: The New York Times magazine's profile of Elizabeth Holmes and the collective grown it inspired from readers makes me wonder if we've just moved past the shine of the big important public figure profile piece in general. Take that now infamous Megan Markle profile and the Cut, for instance, what probably would have been a standard profile about her thoughts on parenthood and her morning routine included one small detail that gave readers a quick glance beyond the polished pr talking points and preapproved subjects that were used to in these kinds of profiles. The profile says that Megan sometimes sounds like she has a tiny bachelor producer in her brain directing what she says. At one point in our conversation, the piece reads, instead of answering a question, she will suggest how I might transcribe the noise she's making. She's making these gunneral sounds, and I can't quite articulate what it is she's feeling in the moment because she has no word for it. She's just moaning. Now, that little detail about the noise that Megan makes before answering a question seemingly confirmed what we all know, that a famous person's public persona is actually carefully manufactured, and it proved just too good to resist. But in this day and age, what exactly is the celebrity profile?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What is it and who is it for? At best, they feed the live that celebrities aren't just like us when we all know that of course they're not. And at worse, they help scammers like Elizabeth Holmes rise to power. I wanted to talk to you about the Elizabeth Holmes' profile and sort of how that was a thing. You made a really interesting point about this profile of Megan Markle. I think in the cut where you know it's a song profile about her life blah blah blah. And there's one little bit where she gives the author like suggestions of how she might be able to describe a specific little noise that she made, and that tiny, little throwaway thing became the thing, right, so there's a whole profile that was the thing that people zeroed in on. Do you think that we're I don't know, kind of beyond the usefulness of the problem the public profile, like, what are your thoughts on how how that is evolving as a media product.
Speaker 1: I find them mostly boring. A lot of magazines do them because it's part of the trade off with the entertainment industry. It's a business. It's a business decision to cover to write a certain profile. You know, you'll see them in all kinds of media for whether it's a CEO or what have you. But it's a trade off, like, make no mistake about it. But occasionally you'll get a story like that where something is revealed, right and it's not off, and that something is revealed about someone who we think we know everything about, and that's interesting to me. So in the case of Elizabeth Holmes, it revealed something about the paper and not Elizabeth, which I thought was interesting, but like a process that you didn't know could happen there. But in the case of Megan Markle, like what I found astonishing about it was that it did. It was contrarian because at the time here in the US, there was this especially coast on the coasts, there was this like we must protect her, this kind of vibe, right, like she deserves our protection. She's you know, she's being vilified for her race. It's racist and and in fact that might be true. But there was like something that went against that narrative in that piece, and it was brave because doing so opened up the reporter to you know, all the kind of kinds of attacks that we see on social media now and we don't like what someone says, but it revealed something pretty amazing, and it confirmed this kind of you know, other narrative about her, that it's all contrived, that it's all manufactured. I mean, it literally confirmed that, like you couldn't pick a better which is partly why it was so juicy and delicious and tasty, because she's literally confirming that this whole thing is artifice, not that I think it is, but that it actually is. And I thought that was just really an incredible detail for the writer to put in, But how could she not write, like, Wow, what a thing to have happened in an interview with celebrity. I've done a few celebrity profiles. They're always negotiated to the nth degree, which is partly why I find them so boring, because publicists are so wrapped up in them. It's very rare to get a piece with someone where a published publicist is not negotiating everything from where it's at.
Speaker 2: Oh no, she.
Speaker 1: Doesn't want to go to a restaurant because she doesn't want to be seen or you know whatever. You can't talk about the marriage. She doesn't want to talk about the marriage, and you know, oh she you know, don't ask her about anything political because you we're not talking about that. Like everything is so you know, it's just like so massaged that I already know, having seen the Sausage get Mede, that so much of it is bullshit. So I rarely find them interesting, And I would love to see data that shows if people actually get through these pieces, because I don't think they don't. I don't think they do. I'm trying to think of the last profile I read. I can't remember, but they're just like as an art forum, they're like they're just they are for an era when we didn't have as much access to celebrities as we do now, so they are a very dated art form in my mind.
Speaker 2: I remember being part of a team that worked on one with a famous woman and I don't want to say who it is, but people can probably guess. She had just been married to a high profile political the family, a high profile political family. But the list of things that we were not supposed to talk about, we could not even allude to this wedding, this recent wedding, And so basically it was like, what the hell are we going to talk about? Like this?
Speaker 1: This is what do you think people want to talk about?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: It's like, if you're reading this profile, you're gonna want to talk about this recent marriage, right, Like what else would you want to read about? And it was like, oh no, not even you can't even allude to it in the most oblique of ways. It was like, well, then, how is this going to be an interesting piece that anybody wants to read? This is the one thing that people have on their mind when it comes to this person.
Speaker 1: Well, so this goes back to I don't want to like make it a larger point, but it is part of a larger point in that it's partly it contributes to this overall awakening that people are having about media, that they're wise to the game and they resent it. So that game is because we need the celebrity, We need the we need the access to the other celebrities in that publicist roster. We need the studio not to be mad at us, because then they'll invite us to important events and also maybe advertise with us, you know, or or the beauty brand that that person is an ambassador for. We need their advertise and we want to piss them off, and like there's a whole like business behind those decisions, and people are wise to it. One of the one of the most frequent questions I got asked when I was at Marie Claire and even after, was you know, oh, tell me what mescarity use, or tell like a makeup question, or oh I saw that in the magazine. And I would always be like, you don't really believe that they're they like that, right, because it was obvious to me that it was all part of this like game about you know, And I learned actually I learned, you know, there are certain number of credits that credits being appearances in the magazine that a brand is either formally or informally allowed, like oh, that we owe them credits. I used to hear that all the time, like we have to put this on your page. You're doing a career Q and A with so and so, but I need to put this shoe on the page. So we're going to do a sidebar of things you should wear to your work when you're going out afterwards. So because we owe this brand credits like they're not, you know, there's it's a business behind those decisions. It's sad but true, and I think people are wise to it.
Speaker 2: So I don't consider myself to be like a media insider, but for just your average consumer of magazines media, how important do you think it is to be sort of aware of how the sausage has made the business decisions that go into what we're reading in the media that we're consuming.
Speaker 1: I think it's very important. Magazines is already such an anachronistic term. So whatever content you're consuming, wherever you're consuming it, right, you should one hundred percent be aware of you know, of what metabolic processes led to that moment. Now, that doesn't mean you have to sit with it. And I also don't think it's your responsibility. Like, you know, there is something to be said for being an informed reader, but there's also something to be said for being a responsible journalist. And I just want, I guess, I just want people to be aware of why we make the choices we do as a business, as you know, as a profession. So like the whole uh, you know, when a movie comes out, there's a premiere, you're going to see that that celebrity do a round robin of interviews. All those outlets are going to try to get the celebrity to say something off the cuff. It never happens. Sometimes it happens like it's all just such canned garbage, and it's it's like, we have to be a little better now, I think because the audiences are wiser, and what's the net result of that. They're going to TikTok and they're going elsewhere where they can get a little more authenticity from anywhere from people who you know, it's like we've seen the diminished value of celebrity culture, which it's not. I don't have an opinion on It's just fascinating that people are turning to forums where they are getting authenticity and less makeup and less bullshit they're getting. They want the real, real and I get it. I get why, because we're feeding them can shit and telling them, look how awesome this is, and they now know what awesome.
Speaker 2: Got a story about an interesting thing in tech, or just want to say hi? You can read us at Hello at tangody dot com. You can also find transcripts for today's episode at tengody dot com. There Are No Girls on the Internet was created by me Bridget Todd. It's a production of iHeartRadio and Unbossed creative. Jonathan Strickland is our executive producer. Tarry Harrison is our producer and sound engineer. Michael Almado is our contributing producer. I'm your host, Bridget Todd. If you want to help us grow, rate and review us on Apple Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.