Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decided to drop into the show. Now, here's your host, Paul Charchi.
Speaker 1: Welcome Fantasy Football Weekly. I am Paul Charchie and my co host today and it's awfully fitting. Scott Fish Hey, buddy.
Speaker 3: How did I get on the show again?
Speaker 1: It's been a long time.
Speaker 3: By the way, I think I was fired or something.
Speaker 1: I know it feels that way. Well, it's fitting to have you back on your show for a week of fantasy football, which, honestly, you're You're the epicenter of the fantasy football world.
Speaker 3: For this week, there's a lot of talk.
Speaker 1: There is a lot of talk about Scott Fish Bowl thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I'm really really excited for it. This year, we have at least thirty three hundred teams. Every time I said it at thirty three hundred, and I feel like I've already added an extra vision or two just because I feel bad, Like there's thirty thousand people signed up, like it feels thirty thousand.
Speaker 1: So one in ten people are able to beget.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty much the average. Yeah, ten get in.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, it's which is you know, it's selective, and I think part of the selectivity is what makes people want to get in. Yeah, it's because you know they not everybody can get in that wants to.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think there was a day where it was to play with your favorite analysts and maybe that's still true. And then celebrities and athletes started joining, and yeah that I don't love that it's exclusive, but you're right. I think that adds to people wanting to get in more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it does too, so for people that aren't familiar with Scottfish Bowl, and I think at this point most people are. But give give us the one o one. What is scott Fish Bowl? And by the way, league starting drafting starts Monday?
Speaker 3: Wellyeah, I mean Monday, the slow draft starts. But we had a live event in Buffalo last night that had two drafts. We have a live event in London starting. I can't do the back.
Speaker 1: How about this weekend?
Speaker 3: It's seven thirty tonight in London, so what is that like one thirty pm today with that or tomorrow whatever it is, uh yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Minneapolis is Minneapolis on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Minneapolis is now.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of Minneapolis listeners because the show has been on the air here in Minneapolis for twenty five years. If people still want to come to the Minneapolis Life, can they show absolutely?
Speaker 3: Just I think give the needs. It's at three twenty eight Grill. I believe that's in Minneapolis or Minneo Paul is the same Paul. I think it's technically Paul, technically Saint Paul. Okay, three twenty eight Gril. It's a nice, big, huge open space that looks like the food looks incredible, So I'm excited.
Speaker 1: For that, all right.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we'll be there from I think you'll be open for the public, like from two pm to seven pm. People can come on down right.
Speaker 1: I'm planning to be there. You will be there. I will be there. Most importantly, will Ian Fish be there?
Speaker 3: Ian Fish will be there? All right?
Speaker 1: Well, thank god?
Speaker 3: Well all right, only because his team got knocked out of its baseball tournament already.
Speaker 1: He'll be He didn't tank so he could make this city.
Speaker 3: He didn't. He didn't.
Speaker 1: All right, Go all right, so tell people what the scott Fish Bowl is and how it's attached to Fantasy Care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so scott Fish Bowl is basically a giant tournament that is basically a campaign or event that you know that's part of Fantasy Cares, which is an accredited five to one C three charity. We raise money for lots of different charities, Like each of the eighteen live events we have are separately raising money for a local charity and it all kind of runs through us. Our main charity we work with is Toys for Tots. We're a national corporate sponsor and we do toy do toy buying events all around the country in like ten different cities each year. But basically it's just a giant charitable tournament, no entry fee, just just trying to push out the word that hey, we can do a lot of good with this this hobby of ours, this fantasy football hobby, and if you're listening, you don't even need to be part of it. You can donate to Fantasy Cares at Fantasycares dot org. Or you can just with your league. Honestly, I've been pushing for this for years. Take your league aside and be like, hey, guys, we should donate to a charity. The winning winner should donate to a charity. Whatever. One entry fee doesn't matter. We can do a lot of good with this hobby.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you can activate this at the league level with Fantasycares dot org, right, fantasycares dot org and you can just say, look, we're giving you know, half of our entry fees to charity, or we're giving you know, on entry fun whatever. Yeah, ten bucks set upset it up that way.
Speaker 3: It's weird, but ten bucks makes a difference if every if all the fifty nine million or whatever, sixty million, how many players are there in fantasy now.
Speaker 1: Well, across all sports, it's about fifty five million, yeah, Lake Canada.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so if every one of them gave ten bucks, that would be a lot. Yes, but possible, yeah, possible. Well, my point is simply, if you think ten bucks isn't much, it is, it adds up. It adds up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure. Fantasycares dot Org is one way that you can still get involved for people that can't get into the Prime Scott Fish Bowl leagues. Yes, there's something called satellite leagues, yes, and help people understand what that term means, what our satellite league.
Speaker 3: Sure, and it's kind of derived from poker. Poker does this a lot has for like thirty forty years or whatever, maybe longer, but we do these satellites. We have satellites satellite leagues on Underdogs, so you can go to Underdog and join one. We have a satellite tournament on Guillotinetine Leagues. I just wanted to I wanted to pause for you to say, just to make just to make sure I wasn't speaking out to turn on it leagues.
Speaker 1: We raised seven thousand dollars a year and our charity is called Best Christmas Ever. We've stayed similar to what you're doing with Toys for Tots yep, where we're helping. We're helping families at Christmas time.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, so you can. You can plan that on on Guillotine leagues and also on the SFB side, if you log into your account, you can click to join. It's just one button. It's super easy. Just click to join to be a part of a mirror league which mirrors all all of sfb's settings, scoring everything, and we'll get you in and those drafts will start on July seventeenth. But all of these are satellite leagues where you can win your way into play into the main event of SFB fourteen next year.
Speaker 1: Daha, perfect, So when go win your satellite league so you can get into this as well. And SAME's true on guillotine leagues. Guillotine. Just as a side note on guillotine leagues, we are grinding to get our brand new, totally rebuilt mobile app Ooh and so that's our focus right now. We're going to do this. We're going to have Scoutfish, Bull guillotine leagues. It's just not going to be like this week.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's coming, and it's good. It's good that things will be spaced out a little bit so people can do this one and then they'll come do that one.
Speaker 1: I like the sound of that. You mentioned the scoring system week. Every year you do some little unique twist and do something a little bit different with your scoring system. What are you doing?
Speaker 3: I feel like people either love it or hate it that I do that. I do it for a couple reasons. A. It gives people something brand new to talk about. Be it keeps people from being complacent. You can't just simply go in and like I'm just gonna draft this like every other draft, I have to actually think about this. Yeah, but this year I decided to stay positive. It was all about being positive and.
Speaker 1: You're not subtracting for interceptions and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: There are no negative points, interceptions, none of that. No negative points. And the theme is like food and beverages, Like all the divisions are you know, food brands, beverage brands, like restaurants, stuff like that. So I thought, what else pairs the food? At least in my life indulging a little bit and a little bit more volume than I feel is necessary. So I stayed on this kind of like the video game year, I had bonus points for like doing things you got yeah, so it's kind of thematic in that way. But there's yeah, so you get points per carry and like, uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, just stopped there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, points per carry half a quarter point per care point carry.
Speaker 1: But so now I work horseback. Yeah, vermondra Stevenson is my big crush. It was my crush last year, is my curse this year? Yeah, remonder Stevenson could lead the league and carries. He could very real possibility volume back, Like you know, so if I get let's do for the for easy math twenty four carries.
Speaker 3: There's six points, six points down just for carrying the ball. Yes, like I said, yeah, volume volume backs, all right, yeah, there's so and rushing quarterbacks people probably have noted out there. Yeah that's yeah, it can be a wonderful thing.
Speaker 1: So a rushing quarterback might get let's just call it, uh you know, twelve carre Yeah, twelve carries. There's three free points even if he doesn't go forward.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: So that would now draft as we're recording right now, drafts haven't started no yet, so we can't like analyze how this is going to change things. But this could buck What a huge trend that's happening in the the greater fantasy football universe, which is we're finally all doing the opposite. Nobody say running backs this year, right, it's all wide receivers in the first round, tight ends in the first round, well, tight end in the first round, and these rushing quarterbacks in the first round.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And at Guillotine leagues dot Com, our adp first eighteen picks our first round run five running backs.
Speaker 3: Out of five. If you're about to shock me with a no running backs.
Speaker 1: But you know, but you know, a year or two ago, it was like twelve out of the you know, twelve out of the eighteen running backs. So I think I think that trend has been different. But now for giving a point per attempt, yep, it's gonna push running backs back back into the top rounds.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing I love to do with my scoring is to create draft chaos. Yeah, people almost don't even feel like they know what they're doing. But I give bonus, Like points are all over at every different position, they are a different way, Like you have to start three wide receivers and you have four flexes, so like every position has their things. No matter how you draft, you can walk away going okay. I like these parts, you know, like you can be happy with your draft.
Speaker 1: That which you know, Hey, that's important. Knowing your scoring system is just it's just so ba, especially in this Yeah, we won't go over the Are there any other key are there besides a quarter point per attempt? Any other key unique elements to the scoring system in scott Fish bull.
Speaker 3: Thirteam scoring generally no, like I I bumped it from half PPR to one, I jump bumped it from half four point for first down to one. Tight ends get double that, so they get two points per first down and.
Speaker 1: Two points baby all right.
Speaker 3: Travis Kelsey was like the number four all overall player last year scoring, but uh, mostly it's mostly it's just that, it's it's some of the same stuff. You get A you get a you can flex kickers. You don't have to start them.
Speaker 1: Now, can I flex up to four again? Like years up to four? Some situation happened to me last year with a series of injuries, right, I had to do that one year.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's and the the numbers I crunched last year were you should start one, you can start a second on by weeks and injuries past that, it's probably minus. It's probably out of not what you want to be doing. But if you get if you get hampered, it's just extra players you can throw in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that. Uh, I've got picked three. Yes, in my league.
Speaker 3: I think there's a pretty clear cut top four. Okay, So who are I like? Pick I like pick three. You can argue all day who you like more out of Hurts, Allen and Mahomes based on the running and the volume. Hurts and Allen are easily up there, and Mahomes is just Mahomes. Yeah, and then I think the fourth guy is Kelsey just because in this scoring at tight end, he scored one hundred and sixty more points than tight end two last year, which is crazy, which is absolutely insane. If you don't if you don't think the downslide is coming for Kelsey this year.
Speaker 1: Right, if this isn't the year or it all finally gets hurt.
Speaker 3: He is. He is the clear fourth guy with those three quarterbacks. I'm at one and I'm actually considering Kelsey, sure, just because the positional advantage.
Speaker 1: So if if you've got one of these four early picks, if you take Kelsey at the top of that round and you come back into the second round, yes, so you're now you're late second round. You don't have to sweat tight end.
Speaker 3: You could.
Speaker 1: You're still gonna get a good quarterback if that's the spot you wanted to go, But you may not. I just feel like I'm not.
Speaker 3: I don't real so that don't get it. I get a double tap if you're the first, so you do have to make somewhat of a call. But yeah, tight end set, tight.
Speaker 1: End is set. Tight End is set. Yeah, who if if I want to find a tier two rushing quarterback. So somebody with some mobility but isn't going to cost me one of those first four picks. Who am I looking at now?
Speaker 3: You're really really gonna like, I hope in my league is listening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah right, so disclose it, baby.
Speaker 3: So the guys I'm eyeing are Anthony Richardson and uh Daniel Jones as that second third round area that I could potentially get because they will get you those rushing upside, and I wish Daniel Jones would score more touchdowns. The past for more, past for more is ridiculous. I won't be hampered by anything negative from them, at least that's a That's my big bonus with Anthony Richardson is I'm not gonna get hurt by anything he does negatively, but I'm gonna get positive on anything anything he's running.
Speaker 1: I'm keying whole drafts around Daniel Jones's tight end. Okay, So the reason why three I probably won't take Travis Kelce. I just think Darren Waller sitting on.
Speaker 3: Him and Bonker and he's going late enough that yeah, you can absolutely wait.
Speaker 1: Now, we don't know where he's going to go in SFB scoring because the drafts haven't happened yet. There is I mean his ADP is yeah five.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, Yeah, there's been There's been hundreds upon hundreds of SFB mocks and people have analyzed that data. I bet. And then the two live drafts from Buffalo last night. They're like, this is a bunch of differences here, I bet, But it's only two drafts.
Speaker 1: So that is only two drafts. You've got a bunch of other live drafts. You got an l A draft, I know that. I think there's a Boston.
Speaker 3: Yep, LA, Men, any of the big cities, La, Boston, Chicago, like just many of the big cities. You can imagine.
Speaker 1: Fantasycares dot org has got the has got the list of all the different cities where it's happening. So you want to see where if there's a live draft you can join near you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, there's there's only two in which they would like some heads up beforehand or whatever.
Speaker 1: Not just everybody can show it.
Speaker 3: Can't take an ait, which is LA and San Francisco because they have pretty limited but like the cities like Orlando, Boston, Chicago, New York, like New York, go get there. They rented Old a whole bar for it. So they have lots of space.
Speaker 1: I think that's a rick Wolf production, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, we love rick Wolf, not just that Colton the Wolf and are spanding sponsoring four thousand dollars in free drinks too. Wow, So get out New York one.
Speaker 1: No kidding, we're sponsoring here in Minneapolis nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but that's all right, that's yeah. We didn't. We didn't sponsor free drinks.
Speaker 1: Lunches on you if you come to the Minneapol you personally listen, right, yeah, not Scott, Yeah yeah, not Scott specifically. Yes, this is uh, this is year thirteen, which is pretty impressive. Tell me about Scott Fish Bowl Year one.
Speaker 3: So it was a ninety six team like reader league listener league for f f Oasis, the site I ran at the time, and we reached out and we we got a hold of some analysts in other you know, other sites, like Mike Clay was a year one. He actually won year one. He beat me. I came in second. I led the whole way. Wow. Yeah, he beat me, but no, like we we we did. It was that's what it was. Year one. It was the same thing, just ninety six teams and you know a handful of analysts to get our listeners and readers to play with, you know, analysts they read on other sites. It was that little and small, but yeah, it's then it was sixty the next year, and then I took a year off the year my wife was pregnant. I just, you know, oasis was I was debating, you know, shutting it down or whatnot. And then I came back and I realized there's something here, you know, I realized there was something there, and I decided to hit it hard. And I started asking every big name person I had any kind of connection with to to try to get in this. Because once you get one of them, another one will be like, oh.
Speaker 1: He's came in validates it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then and that'll keep snowballing. And then when they're in, like just your everyday listeners of this show, listener like readers of sites, they're like, wait, these guys are playing, I want to play. So it just steamrolled for about a decade till where it is now.
Speaker 1: What is the ratio in a typical league of experts to regulars?
Speaker 3: So? Uh, it used to be eight analysts, experts whatever you want to call him to for just your average regular fantasy player who doesn't create content. Until three years ago, and then I stopped caring. Like I don't know if it was it was part systematically but part of like, we're all just a bunch of people in this fantasy fantasy football loving community trying to do some good. Why am I? I didn't I didn't feel like I needed to keep trying to push that. Yeah, you know, yeah, yeah, like people want to be in the league with Paul Charci and but also if they're not, they can still say I'm playing an SFB with Paul CHARTI right, like I'm.
Speaker 1: In the ecosystem. Yeah, and if we're both good enough, maybe we'll be we'll reach at each other in the playoffs. Even not in the same league. I want to say, my league's got like four experts in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know whatever, it really varies, And honestly, I've noticed that with certain people like me, I think there's two. I think people like they will hone out the name and they'll they'll be like, you know, you like fans of yours church, We'll find your name where you joined, and then they'll just wallop in there.
Speaker 1: So I didn't realize fans got to pick their own leagues.
Speaker 3: Everybody gets to pick their.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't know that. I'm on the other side of it. You just assigned me a league and I just show up. So I didn't. I didn't know that it worked that way.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, everybody gets to pick their own division and league.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, did not Okay, did not realize that that was the case.
Speaker 3: Absolutely all right. So one other thing about the live events, there's fun stuff at all of them, from you know, raffles to drawings, prizes to give aways, and there's tons you know, depending on your city, there's fun stuff at all of them. So you should just go hang out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're gonna be in a bunch of like a group of a bunch of like minded people that love fantasy football. Is that, you know, it's fun and they like charity and they're like giving. You know, not gonna have a bad experience with anybody, right, I mean, it's you know, we're all on the same page exactly. Yeah, tons of fun, no doubt, no doubt about that. Give me one, uh, give me one late round sleeper that I absolutely should consider.
Speaker 3: I don't want I don't want to give you any of mine.
Speaker 1: Well, we're not in the same league.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give you what my son sent me, and I'm gonna listen, this is what my ten year old son Ian are his late round guys, he is trying to grab in Osley's or in SFB this year. Yeah, Roshan Johnson. He thinks Roshan could split or take from Herbert.
Speaker 1: Well, he's not alone. And we've we've mentioned this in the past handful of shows as well, right after the draft when we had Thorne Eystrom on this show.
Speaker 3: He loves him, loves him, and he's like Khalil. Herbert's dead, all right, Romeo Dubbs loves him. With Jordan love and the opportunity there.
Speaker 1: Year two set possible Year two ascension, a lot of you know, he didn't exactly splash last year, but he started and got a lot of practical experience, and by all accounts, Romeo Dubbs was one of Dobbs was one of the better players through ot as in mini camps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the Dubbs Dobbs thing is going to be a thing forever. I can't I don't know why I want him to be yeah, I've known it correctly too, and I still need it. And I'm big on trying to get names right and i still do it. Oh, where was the next one? Here's here's two that I know you'll like that are big for my son Rashid chi he.
Speaker 1: Galla. Yeah, I he's so on track with me. Those are two of my absolute favorites in a dynasty league. I just I just picked up an orphan dynasty league in Rick camp. In this league and I had picked I was given pick eleven. Yeah, Tank Bigsby was there, and I'm like, I've been talking Tanks Bigsby all off season. I need I need to go. I need to go make good on Tank biggs peaks. I've been talking to him so much, so I'm taking him here. Here's what I love about Tank Bigsby. Travis Etn is not a touchdown score. He's not an effective goal line back. He was not in college, and he was not last year when they had to use him there extending anybody else. He only cut two passes a game last year. Travis Etn did so. If Etan's not going to be effective at the goal line, if he's not going to catch passes, tank Basby's gonna be on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of opportunity for him.
Speaker 3: And I was a big fan of Shaheed last year.
Speaker 1: He too, So let me give you some Shheed date off the top of my head.
Speaker 3: Are you ready? All right?
Speaker 1: So here's all about you this alright, and I hope you're listening. What I love about Shaheed undrafted player from Weber State, right who barely makes a roster but by the time we get to December, he's the starting wide receiver for the Saints, averaging for catches for sixty five yards a game. He's a speed star.
Speaker 3: He look goodell eyeball, Yeah, past the eyeball test speedstert his his a dot was sitting at almost twelve yards per reception, which is great.
Speaker 1: And then he was also a good yeah guy six and a half yards after the catch because he's so fast. You know, if he gets behind you, gone. I like Rashigi is gonna beat Michael Thomas out. He's gonna be the star receiver week one.
Speaker 3: Like it. I like it the last one just quickly and maybe we have nothing to say on it. But Jonathan Mingo, he loved him pre draft, big big, tall guy. It's it's a little bit of a cluster there. But he likes Jonathan Mingo really late too.
Speaker 1: Now, hopefully none of the people listening will take this guy from me, but I'll give you my other SFB sleeper.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I asked you a loaded question earlier in this podcast, Scott Yeah, and I said, give me a Tier two rushing quarterback. I'm gonna give you a Tier three okay. Sam Howell, Yeah, I like it, Sam Howell. I mean he fits every thing for a for a big fantasy years.
Speaker 3: You're interesting in his speed and burst and all that stuff, Like all his metrics scores don't seem like it been in college he was.
Speaker 1: And in week eighteen he was. They had designed runs for him there and he clearly is very mobile.
Speaker 3: By the way, my son's also a big Sam Holl guy.
Speaker 1: I am too.
Speaker 3: For a long time, I feel like I'm going to get kicked off this show for me. He might be might be doing a state fair show. He might be.
Speaker 1: I was stubborn on Sam Howell because they didn't start him until week eighteen when the season was over. To them, like, if he was any good, why wouldn't they have started and blah blah blah blah blah. But then I watched that Week eighteen game. He's got the traits to be the perfect kind of guy to roll the dice on. I'm not saying Sam Howells is going to be a great player, but here's the thing. If it comes together, Sam Howells the exactly the kind of quarterback that is a difference maker in fantasy football because he's he can run and he's got the big arm. Big armed quarterbacks that can score at distance are the guys that you you know. It's such a huge differential. Jimmy Garoppolo, with all the talented weapons and everything around, was never a fantasy factor, not a reliable one because he kept throwing them. It was all short stuff. Sam Howells got all the trades, w'ld be a perfect guy to just roll the dice on. He's he's gonna be my second quarterback taken in so many leagues.
Speaker 3: I like it. I like it, and my son will like it. He's gonna love every minute of the end of this conversation. I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it all right. So again, Scott Fish Bull Week is now upon us.
Speaker 3: It is live.
Speaker 1: Drafts are happening. The all the all the ugly, all the drafts kick off on Monday. For a lot of people, it's their first draft of the year. Congratulations on what you built. Congratulations and all the money. How much money did you raise last year? H you know that you have a total tally.
Speaker 3: So Fantasy Cares raised sixty six thousand, but there was at least forty to fifty plus more thousand that was raised specifically for other charity's that actually didn't come through us, and that.
Speaker 1: Like our Guillotine like our Guillotine League exactly.
Speaker 3: This year, a lot more of that stuff is coming through us and then to that and we are already way above last year.
Speaker 1: That's great. So yeah, I love it, love it all right. Fantasycares dot org YEP is the preferred spot. If you want to learn more, you want to participate, you want to.
Speaker 3: Give Scott fishball dot com if you want to sign up for fish Bowl, we're full now we're filling a few replacements, but it's probably effectively full. It's effectively full, but you can sign up for us.
Speaker 1: It gets it gets you on the list for fourteenth Yes exact, yes, yes, all right, thank you Scott, and I appreciate everything you do and congratulations on what you built. Uh, Fantasy Football Weekly. We'll be back out next week, obviously with a lot more stuff. Honestly, I'm not positive what the plan is for content for next week. You can come on the show again, though. You don't have to wait another like it's been three months or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have to wait. Right before my flight to LA I'll do this ship from the airport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the froms I like the sound of that. Thanks for listening, everybody appreciate it. Fantasy Football Weekly is a production of iHeartRadio podcasts from iHeartRadio, Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.