Speaker 1: Wow, Hey everybody, It's Tuesday, March nineteenth, twenty twenty six. Welcome to the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast. We're happy to help in past protection.
Speaker 2: It's me and Ran MG.
Speaker 1: Marcus Grant, joined by Michael Florio and Lakwan Jones.
Speaker 2: Happy start of the tournament. Guys.
Speaker 1: I know it's not fantasy football, but have you march madness to those who who observe I do not.
Speaker 2: I enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I won't act like I've watched a lot of college basketball this year. I used to be huge into college basketball, but it doesn't matter right, Like I don't need to know any of the players on the TV for me to enjoy today and tomorrow, Like, do not care.
Speaker 4: It'd be a great time.
Speaker 1: I would say the next two weekends this weekend and next weekend are even too, of the greatest weekends in sports, just because there's wall to wall basketball on from like nine am Pacific time until you know, late in the evening.
Speaker 2: And you know, I feel bad for the poor folks who get.
Speaker 1: Their prices right preempted or like you know, I don't like you know, my grandmother didn't take a care for it because her soap operas got pushed because of basketball, but for the rest of us, for the rest of us, it is a great time, an absolutely great time.
Speaker 3: So we are supposed to watch together this weekend. I don't know if you guys are still coming through, but we're supposed to.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm pulling up.
Speaker 2: I'm pulling on it for sure. Yeah or sure, that'll be fun.
Speaker 1: That'll be fun. It's gonna be a good time, be a good time. So today on the show, gonna have a kind of a different time. Should be a good time. Nonetheless, we're gonna talk to James Reeber, who does research for the Next Gen Stats team here at the NFL, wrote a couple of articles that maybe on the surface you wouldn't think about as fantasy related articles, but we are trying to find a fantasy spin. He talked about the increase in chip blocks across NFL offenses, also talked about the rise of split safety too high coverages across the NFL, and so we're gonna kind of pick his brand a little bit on how those things could help you when you are sort of picking between players and putting together your fantasy draft lists and what have you. But do you want to start with a little bit of news, and I emphasize a little bit because there's not a lot happening in the NFL, but a story that popped up that Lakwah you texted us about yesterday. Four time Pro Bowl wide receiver t Y Hilton has announced his retirement, though which I'm sure comes as news to a lot of people because we haven't seen t Y Hilton in the NFL in a few years.
Speaker 2: The last time he played was back.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty two, when he appeared in three games with.
Speaker 2: The Dallas Cowboys. Wow.
Speaker 1: Either way, Eugene Marquis Hilton is officially wrapping it up, calling it a career. Yo.
Speaker 5: Well, you put my main government out there like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I don't know what his mom calls it. If she calls him Eugene or TV she calls me Eugene, probably when he's in trouble time.
Speaker 1: So I will I will ask the question that I always ask in these situations, Florida.
Speaker 2: I will start with you in Lakwana. You can follow. Is t Y Hilton a fantasy Hall of Famer?
Speaker 3: I'm more so wondering where he got this ty name from because the only T in his entire government name is in Hilton and there's no why, so, like, where did this come from? I have no idea, I have questions. No, he's not a Fantasy Hall of Famer, he's a he's a Hall of very good. I would say, like I think when we talk about the twenty tens and like the top wide receivers, he's not gonna be the first name or one of the first names that get thrown out, but he'll he will get thrown out there right like he was really good for a big stretch. And in fact, and you outside of his rookie year where he put up eight hundred and sixty one yards, every other season that he got to play with Andrew Luck, he topped a thousand yards. Most of them he topped twelve hundred. Because there's the one year in twenty seventeen where he failed to get a thousand, but Andrew Luck didn't play that year. So I think you could point for two reasons why he's not a Fantasy Hall of Famer. Want was it the age cliff because he happened to be turning thirty when Andrew Luck just surprised everyone and retired. But once Luck retired, it was kind of a rap for Hilton and it's not his fault, but like it was early career Jacoby Brissett and Philip Rivers and Carson went like right, like the quarterbacks they were throwing out there were they left a lot to be desired. So yeah, I think that really does hamper his career numbers a bit. Also, he was a player that once that cliff came, it came very fast. But there was a six to seven year stretch where he was a top two round pick in fantasy and was just electric. So haula very good in my opinion.
Speaker 2: All right, Lakwan, you agree with that.
Speaker 5: I second that the Hall of very Good is filled right now with a bunch of players. But like I feel like if Andrew Luck didn't retire, like he could have been in that Hall of Fame fantasy you know room. But because at the end of the day, those two seasons he had that were magnificent fourteen hundred yards, I mean, he didn't really find the end so much, but the ceiling was going to keep rising if Andrew Luck stayed in Honestly, the surprise, you know, retirement, I think that's what kind of knocked him off his track. To have that ceiling to keep you know, rising. So the hall of very good is filled right now, and that's not a bad thing. But we got some Hall of famers in there that I can't honestly see t Y Hillton sitting next to him, any.
Speaker 2: Of those guys really for real, for real? Yeah, no, I think I think you guys are right, because it is.
Speaker 1: You remember the highs. But and so you go back and look, you realize that those that peak was a really short period of time for him.
Speaker 5: He was a top five Fantasy wide receiver that year. He put up fourteen hundred yards and that's with little touchdown, so all that production was three yards and catches stuff. But again, the cliff, it came very fast. It was like why he just standing in.
Speaker 4: Falls down.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 1: To answer your question, Florio, uh, he says that even though his name is Eugene, his my daddy's name is Tyrone. So ever since I was little, everyone has just used the first two letters of that, and.
Speaker 2: That is how he became t Y Hilton. So there it is.
Speaker 3: So then instead of being tied, he made it t why why okay, okay?
Speaker 2: But he does he does have a son. He does have a son. Named Tai, so you know, I guess it's.
Speaker 4: Coming, that's why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has two sons, Eugene Hilton Junior and Tie Hilton, so he sort of combined all of those things.
Speaker 3: Uh so, But again he named him Tai, not like, yes, it's a well, I don't know. But one fun fact about him, real quick is every year for his first seven seasons, he had a catch of sixty plus yard over sixty yards every year, and to me, that is always what I'll remember with t Y Hilton. He was one of the very best field stretchers of his era. He had deficiencies, like we said the red zone, not really a high touchdown guy.
Speaker 4: But one of the just the very best field stretchers.
Speaker 1: Well, that and that he used to absolutely torture the Houston Texans.
Speaker 2: That was just the thing.
Speaker 1: He did eleven touchdown catches against the Texans in his career. He didn't have more than six against any other team. So he just absolutely just destroyed the Texans.
Speaker 5: I remember him too throwing seth rollins over to barricade at a Bears game also, so that was pretty awesome to see as well.
Speaker 2: That's pretty random. That's super random.
Speaker 1: Other piece of news Carson Wentz is returning to the Minnesota Vikings on a one year deal. So lakwan, does that mean that nine has officially been eighty six from the Vikings offense?
Speaker 5: Stop calling this man nine. Stop there's only one nine. Yes, it's eighty six. Get he doesn't call himself nine. Matthew Stafford doesn't call himself nine.
Speaker 2: Yes we do.
Speaker 5: Mat I can't say what we I can't say here what we call him. But the RAMS community have a name for nine, and it's not JJ McCarthy. And honestly, it's obviously not nine either.
Speaker 1: If you can't say it here, it is, you can't say it here, it's not nine.
Speaker 3: If you pulled football fans who is nine, you're gonna get more JJ McCarthy votes than than Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 1: You just are like, it's just, it's just what's out there in the zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Now, man, just live with it.
Speaker 5: Didn't we have this conversation here that these guys need to earn the cool nickname, Like how I stopped calling Trevor mit Lawnes.
Speaker 2: Now he is t law.
Speaker 1: People don't call JJ McCarthy nine gets cool. They call him nine to sort of mock him a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, like it's just like the needle him.
Speaker 5: Because he thinks he's nine. Yeah, don't use it as a troll. When I think of nine, it is Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 2: Any question done?
Speaker 5: Anyway he is, It is cooked, well done in the crock pot. This has been a slow cooking. But he is done. Looking at Carson Wentz back in there, backing up Kyler Murray. He now falls to QB three. I could sense probably a trade is coming, or maybe he just sits behind two veteran quarterbacks and learn and absorb as much as he can. But at the end of the day, I don't think we see JJ McCarthy hit the field unless both of these guys get injured. But again, I feel like we need to stop giving cool nicknames to guys, even though you're trolling. Stop giving nicknames to people who haven't earned these things. Man, Please, we didn't.
Speaker 2: Give it to them. He gave it to himself.
Speaker 1: That's why he's getting trolled by like he gave it to himself and now.
Speaker 2: We're using it and you're going to throwing your back at him. Stop you're doing.
Speaker 1: Pro football is an attack on the rams man or attack.
Speaker 5: It's just doing this.
Speaker 3: No, if you go to Pro Football Reference, which legitimately if someone on the street one time called a person a nickname, it appears on their page. U. J. J. McCarthy's nickname is nine. Matthew Stafford does not have a nickname.
Speaker 1: Well, does that mean that somebody on the street wants called Tom Brady the Pharaoh?
Speaker 4: Because it's on there, right, like the Prince who was Promised?
Speaker 5: Trevor Lawrence who said that, Yeah, I don't know, that's a that's a certain Fox Sports analyst who actually knows that nickname. Kyle Brandt said that he's actually the one who created that.
Speaker 4: Actually, I'm texting her about it. Yeah, the Prince.
Speaker 3: I've heard another analyst call him that for a while now as well.
Speaker 2: Sure, who doesn't want in our building?
Speaker 1: Well, again, that's the thing that you know, instead of calling him, Trevor Midle warns, you can call him the Prince who was promised if he starts playing back, can.
Speaker 2: Just use that. So there it is, all right, a break come back.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk with James Reeber of the Next Gen Stats Research team, get us thoughts on chip blocks, two high safeties, a whole lot more things that you can keep in your back pocket when it comes to draft time in fantasy football.
Speaker 2: That's next. You're on the NFL Fantasy Football Show. Back here on the.
Speaker 1: NFL Fantasy Football Podcast, and very happy to be joined by a special guest doing something that you know, we don't necessarily get too much into, sort of the off the beaten path version of the next gen stats, and to help us with that, James Reeber a researcher for NGS here at the NFL, and wrote an article recently about chip blocks. Not that they're a new thing across the NFL, but they're starting to be deployed more often and in a more strategic way to sort of help offenses passing games.
Speaker 2: So we're glad to get James in here sort of talk about the article he wrote.
Speaker 1: I try to put a fantasy context to it, because we're all looking for whatever edge we can find.
Speaker 2: So James, appreciate you taking the time. Man. How you feeling today?
Speaker 6: I am doing well, man, Thank you so much for having me on. Really excited to be here. I'm glad that you've all, you know, looked through my work and you had, you know, the good sense to figure out that this.
Speaker 4: Was relevant and we could get something out of it.
Speaker 6: I didn't even really expect that tight ends would be doing so much extra work off of their blocks. And that's something that I found just you know, working through the research for this and then even working with Krie the last few weeks, that this is a massive trend, something that is going under the radar, but can really help us out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like you said, we had we didn't have the good sense.
Speaker 1: Kyrie had the good sense to find the article, to bring it to our attention and help organize this whole thing. So we're just the dopes who get to sit on cameon on the microphone and talk about it. But just for the base level, right for the entry level folks. Explain what chip blocks are and how they benefit an offense.
Speaker 4: No doubt, let's do it.
Speaker 6: So chip blocks are a trend that has come about, like you were saying, Marcus, it's something that has been going on throughout the entire history of the league, just happening a lot more recently. Where a skill position player, usually a tight end, occasionally a running back or a wide receiver will give a little bit of extra blocking help will engage at pass rusher quickly and then kind of roll off that and go out into a route, and so it kind of lets the offense have their cake and eat it too, where you're getting an extra guy in your pass protection. You know a lot of teams like spread offenses at this point in time, and so if you have a five men protection, you can turn that into kind of five and a half. And so that has given quarterback extra time to throw. We've actually seen that since Next Gen started tracking chiplocks, which was seven seasons ago, the time to pressure is about six tenths of a second longer three point four seconds versus two point eight when a chiplock is used.
Speaker 4: And I mean six tenths.
Speaker 6: Is not a huge amount of time in the grid scheme of things, but for a quarterback it can mean absolutely everything. It allows them to go through their progressions, get their deep ball off, avoid the sack. So, you know, the best offensive innovators out there. You know, we talk about the Rams and Niners a lot on the show, and they heavily feature chiplocks in their offense. And it's kind of picking up league wide as well.
Speaker 3: So in the article, you talk about how these quarterbacks, like you just said, they get extra time. We've seen their air yards go up, more opportunity to take the deep ball, the deep shot, stuff like that. But what surprised me will is the teams that ship at a higher rate don't always put up better offensive numbers. In fact, in some cases you point out, it's the opposite and they struggle. So what did you find when you were looking at that? Because that was surprising to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I'm not going to go out and tell you that, you know, chip blocks are exclusively an advantage creator. Sometimes it's more the case that a team is forced to do it because their pass protection isn't really holding up. The Vikings and Browns were two teams that come to mind that had a little bit of a weaker offensive line this season. They had a lot of you know, injuries and turnover on their fronts. They also had you know, young quarterbacks who weren't quite as good as evading pressure on their own, and so they had to get extra guys in the protection just in order to kind of stay above water.
Speaker 4: So you will see that sometimes, and.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to tell you, you know, we get these offenses that are shipping more, you want to draft everyone from those offenses. That's not really the case, but we're going to, you know, go into how we can make it helpful for fantasy on a case by case basis.
Speaker 5: So you talk about how this has been something that's been tracked for several years now, but it seems to be trending upward from twenty one percent in twenty twenty three to nearly twenty seven percent this past season. I mean, what's driving this usage upward? And is there a ceiling or do you think this keeps climbing.
Speaker 6: So there's actually a lot of different contributors to this. I do think there is eventually a ceiling, but I don't think we're at it or even super close to it yet. As so, we discussed that the Sean McVay, Kyle Kyle Shanahan and their proteges, the Kevin O'Connell's, the Liam Cohens, the Klint Kubiaks.
Speaker 4: These are the guys who are leading this charge.
Speaker 6: And what happens with guys like that is when they started doing something, the rest of the league kind of takes it over over time. What we saw five or ten years ago was everyone started using motion, and you know, everyone had always used motion, but started doing it much more often, especially starting with that coaching tree, and now that's kind of reached an equilibrium. Everyone's doing it all over the league, whether you're a part of that tree or not, and so as those other coaches pick the chip block up, it'll keep increasing. And I think, you know, it's going to be really interesting to monitor where it goes the next few years.
Speaker 1: And some of the data showed kind of a split amongst tight ends. You kind of talked about it a little bit, but guys like Trey McBride, Kyle Pitts, they sort of thrived when working with chip blocks. Guys like Travis Kelcey, George Kittle, Mark Andrews saw their numbers dip.
Speaker 2: I mean, the first thing.
Speaker 1: That comes to mind is maybe I don't know if it's age is the offense. Have you been able to pinpoint kind of why that is or is it still a mystery?
Speaker 4: I think think both of those are contributors.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think in the case of I mean, there were three guys I found who were not really like thriving on it using it as much of an advantage as some of the other tight ends, and those were Travis kelce George Kittle, Mark Andrews. In the case of those guys, you know, they've been in the league for a long time and they probably didn't come up with the concept in mind that this was going to be part of their repertoire.
Speaker 4: So Kittle is a little bit of a special case.
Speaker 6: And I think it's just because Kittle loves blocking compared to most other pass catching tight ends in the league, so he's going to set a really good block and then not you know, go as smoothly necessarily into the route. In Kittle's case, he just didn't get quite as many targets as the other guys. As what it was Kelsey was not running quite as sharp of a route in those cases and wasn't catching as many passes is when he did get targeted, and then with some of the younger guys. So the interesting I want I guess is is Hunter Henry. Because Hunter Henry, if you saw in that graphic, he actually had one hundred percent catch rate off of his chips. He caught every single one of his twenty one targets after a hip block. And he's a veteran guy too, So I think that's a schematic thing. I think he was just given a Blueprint by Josh McDaniels. You know, new offensive coordinator this past year, and he was able to adjust to that really quickly and you know, improve his performance in those situations. Only a fifty nine point one percent catch rate when he's not chipping, one hundred when he is. That's something that I think you're going to see a lot in their offense next year with you know, if they're recognizing that his success is coming from that, which I'm sure they are.
Speaker 3: And to take this and spin it kind of specifically into like a specific player for fantasy the aspects on that graphic there we saw AJ Barner chipped at the highest rate last year and he had the second highest target rate when chipping.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, now Clint Kubiak, who designed that offense and was using Aj Barner in that way, he gets to design an offense with brock Bowers. Yeah, So do you think we see brock Bawers chipping at a high rate? And if so, do you think there is still another level that brock Bowers Because we know he's elite, he's a second tight end in adp all of that, but do you think there's even more there that we haven't seen yet?
Speaker 4: With brock Bowers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love that you went there, and I honestly really do think that he could reach a new level. So, first off, unrelated to ship blocks, we saw Kubiak focus a lot on one guy in the passing game, and if anyone is gonna get you anywhere near JSN type of volume, it would be Brock Powers in that offense. So that's pretty cool in itself. Brock Bawers set twenty four chip blocks all of last season, which among like arding tight ends, that was probably the single lowest mark in the league. Six point two percent rate. That's just tiny. He caught every single one of his passes off of a chip, seven of seven for seventy three yards, and so I think a lot of the reason for that is that Chip Kelly was mostly using him as an.
Speaker 4: Outside receiver, a slot receiver.
Speaker 6: Glen Kubiak loves to put his guys in line with the line of scrimmage, and so that's going to give him an easy opportunity to chip a lot more. And then you know, he can run a flat route, a fade route and be you know, the first read for if we're going to guess, probably for Nana Mendoza. I think it should go great for him as in terms of his fantasy contact.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, So I want to talk about an underrated Rams tight end. I want to take you to La Colby. Parkinson had seven targets on fourteen red zone chips, which is really interesting being that the Rams have the best wide receiver room in the NFL. But how much of the red zone chip uses translates to touchdown opportunity? And is Parkinson somebody fantasy managers should be watching out for.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, I think there's a really good possibility of that. The one way that we would throw that out is if Kenyan City gets drafted by the Rams, but right now they now we.
Speaker 5: Don't want that.
Speaker 6: It would well, I mean, Citik is gonna be great wherever he goes. But I do think you know, the room that the Rams have right now as far as tight ends is one of the strongest in the league. They would often put three of them out on the field at the same time. That's something again that not a lot of people are doing. And so you know, Parkinson had these certain specific weeks where he was really popping off in the fantasy sense, and it's because he was really trustworthy as a red zone guy.
Speaker 4: And that was kind of their plan to get him loose.
Speaker 6: We see it with Parkinson, and the other guy we really see it with is Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 4: Where they would set the chip in.
Speaker 6: The red zone, they would kind of lose their coverage defender as a result of that, and they you know, these are big body targets who are great outlet for their quarterbacks to hit in that spot. So yeah, I think Parkinson and then the other guy worth considering, you know for a year two breakout would be Terrence Ferguson, but he's not really the chip block type and he's not really the same caliber or red zone weapon. So we really could be in a spot to watch out for Parkinson, you know, kind of taking over some of the Tyler Higbee workload and keeping these good vibes going.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that a lot of times the coaches that'd used that we're teams that didn't have maybe great upfront protection for their quarterbacks, or teams with younger quarterbacks or guys who just needed extra time to get the ball out. It brings me to Kevin Stefanski coming to Atlanta, which is sort of a mixed bag of things because you know, in terms of their rating, the offensive line was a pretty good pass blocking.
Speaker 2: Unit for the Falcon.
Speaker 1: But now you're dealing with a quarterback most likely into a tongue of iyaaloa who is sort of has been kind of a get the ball out of his hands quickly. Maybe try to give him some extra time, especially to give you know, to protect him maybe from himself in some cases. I where where do you anticipate the Falcons sort of landing here? To Stefansky go more with the chip? Does he does he do less with it? Because we already know Kyle Pitts sort of thrived in that situation, and every year we keep pretzeling our logic to try and make Kyle Pits a thing.
Speaker 2: I guess I guess I'm asking you to give.
Speaker 1: Me one more reason to to not give up on Kyle Pitts.
Speaker 6: So I if you want me to, you know, kind of gass up Kyle Pitts, I think I would not to do that. You know, Kyle Pitts is is a total like move tight end. He's he's gonna be in the slot a lot of the time. And uh so with Tua, you know, throwing the ball quick I think it's very possible that Stefanski changes up his strategy, especially you know he's handing off play calling. He's given it to I don't remember the guy's name. I think it's Tommy Reese or something like that, but yeah, nice. So it's the guy who was his OC last year, but it's actually not going to be the play caller in Atlanta. And so so for Pitts, I mean, I think we could see those guys use him the same way that they used Harold fannin, which was really exciting, but that's going to be in a move situation. It's going to be kind of more outside. And then if they also have a blocking tight down the field, that guy could potentially be the chip or probably wouldn't get the targets. But it also means, you know, there'll be not as many guys taking the target shair in that case, it'll be you know, basically London Pits Bijon and they're getting the entire bulk of the workload. So I mean, if you need if you need faith in Pits, it would be more of a target share. And also just the fact that they love heavy personnel in that former Cleveland coaching room.
Speaker 2: Got it all right, good enough for me.
Speaker 1: Because like a break, come back and we'll talk about the chip use of the chip block and what this means potentially for fantasy defenses.
Speaker 2: They're still in the game despite.
Speaker 1: People trying to maybe move on from talking with James Reeber in GS Researcher. That's coming up more next on the NFL Fantasy Football podcast, Talking with the Next Gen Status Researcher. James Reeber wrote an article about the increased use of the chip block across the NFL, and want to kind of pivot to talking about defenses because you know, you wrote that defenses that got chipped more in a lot of cases, gotten more sacks, forced more turnovers. You and I were talking before the show that somehow Miles Garrett actually got better when he was chipped. Have you been able to figure out the logic for that so far?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I was confused by that at first. It seems counterintuitive, but you know what's really happening is when you have an incredible pass rusher like Miles Garrett, like you know Houston has with Daniel Hunter and Will Anderson on both sides, like Pittsburgh has with t J.
Speaker 4: Watt, all five.
Speaker 6: Of these teams that you're going to see in the top five of chiplock rate are going to have incredible pass rushers, and those guys are going to get theirs. Offenses are kind of, you know, scrambling to really help out on these guys a little bit extra just so they don't get completely game broken, and so they're going to end up getting a lot of sacks as it is.
Speaker 4: Miles Garrett.
Speaker 6: Really do want to focus on him for a second, because, as everyone knows, he's a freaking nature but somehow he is even better against chip blocks that one don't know if I found a specific explanation.
Speaker 4: He just you know, plays like he's possessed.
Speaker 6: He goes full god mode when you know someone disrespects him by throwing extra help or I guess respects him really but yeah, so he he got twenty nine pressures against ship blocks this season. That's ten more than anyone ever had in another season that we've tracked, and he's in second place too.
Speaker 4: He had nineteen in a different season.
Speaker 6: So yeah, definitely just an incredible thing that we're seeing out of him. Specifically, Browns were a solid fantasy defense this year. I figure they're going to continue to be a very.
Speaker 3: Solid option and try to take this information and spin it into a fantasy since, in your opinion that you've done more studying on this than any.
Speaker 4: Of us have.
Speaker 3: Do you like, if you were targeting a defense for fantasy purposes, are you thinking that having an elite pass rusher is top? Is it a team that creates a lot of pressure as a whole? Are you targeting a weak offensive line? Like, I'm sure it's probably a combination of the three. But what do you think the most important ingredients is when looking to stream a defense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can go into all of that a little bit, And I mean, you guys are the authorities when it comes to do you pick one or early or do you decide to stream? So that's you know, up to the player themselves as everyone's choice. But if you do decide to pick early, I love a defense with a good pass rusher or ideally with two. I would love to pick the Texans as my fantasy defense because you know, you're going to be lining up those two guys on the edge pretty much every play, and that is going to make life really hard on everybody on the other side of the ball. Like, you know, that's what creates sacks obviously, but it's also what creates interceptions. Like you know, when you when you get pressure, that's where a lot of the turnovers are coming from. And so yeah, I think you definitely definitely want to look for an elite pass rusher from a fantasy perspective a little more than you would like an elite linebacker or elite corner or something like that. And then you know, as far as streaming, yeah, if you have let's say, Hutchinson against the Vikings, that's a great time to stream. The Lions they were a little bit more streaming tier last year. I think they could bounce back because there is a lot of talent just across that entire room. If they stay healthy, Like the Lions are a great defensive option, but if they're facing.
Speaker 4: An offense that is going to be.
Speaker 6: Forced to chip or forced to provide extra help, then that offense.
Speaker 4: Could have a really rough day.
Speaker 5: So James, even though I'm trying to vote out defenses out of my fantasy leagues amongst my friends that just keep voting for it, but is there a defense that might be poised for a breakdown twenty twenty six based on how often their edge rushers are being chipped in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I did find a few different options for that. The one that kind of stood out, this was a little bit surprising, is not one that a lot of people would think about, was the Indianapolis Colts. So they have young edge rushers led by Layatsu Latsu.
Speaker 4: He faced almost as many trips.
Speaker 6: As Jared Verse and that was, you know, the second most by any player that was a.
Speaker 4: First or second year player. So he's getting tripped a lot.
Speaker 6: People respect him, and we see you know, year three breakouts for a lot of these guys as they get accustomed to how to pass rush. And then another thing is the Colts have a defensive coordinator that first of all is regarded as a really you know, special coach, Louayn Rumo. And then also in his second year implementing the system, could really get a little more like creative with his pass rush and you know, start stunning guys a little bit more, or start dropping guys into coverage, you know, disguising his blitzes. So yeah, between all of that and the fact that lotso could be in line for a breakout based on his hip rate, that's what I would look at like a little more than we have in previous years.
Speaker 1: So sort of along with that, right with the you know, chip blocks and pressure and all that sort of thing, one of the big changes we've seen in recent years and defenses has been the increased use of too high safeties.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: This was supposedly the thing that helped everybody figure out the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 2: We can debate that at another.
Speaker 1: Time, but you know, for people who maybe you are uninitiated, explain sort of what that is, and you know how we've seen this change into teams doing that a little more defensively.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the concept of too high coverage, it's it's three different types of coverage.
Speaker 4: It's covered two, cover four, cover six.
Speaker 6: And it basically just means that both of your safeties are starting a little closer to the rest of your defense and then they are both dropping back in opposite directions into coverage. And so this is very, very truly a league wide trend. It's happening everywhere. We see on this image right here that everyone in the NFL, every single defense played split safety coverage at least thirty percent of the time this season. Too high and split safety mean the same thing. By the way, exact same and so that is pretty cool because it had not been happening before we had you know, twenty eighteen to twenty twenty, there were eight or so defense is a season who would be under that thirty percent mark. And then it just started moving up and up and up. And now everyone has caught onto this thing. Offenses are seeing it all the time, and some of the best defenses out there are really you know, making this an efficient strategy. The Seahawks were a team that did it very frequently this year. They used a lot of cover six, which didn't used to be a popular thing in the past, but it drove them to a Super Bowl. Chiefs were the pioneers, like you said, and you know, that worked really well for them for a little while, and then you know, people did catch on. You start seeing it more, you develop a little bit of a counter.
Speaker 3: And again, just trying to put a fantasy spin on all you were touching on the Colts and lou Anramo and I kind of credit him with being the mastermind behind this. He did it two years in a row to Josh Mahomes in the playoffs. Shut those guys down. And then I feel like the rest of.
Speaker 4: The league copied him. But how does this apply?
Speaker 3: How can we apply.
Speaker 4: This into a fantasy since.
Speaker 3: Right, like, is it less big plays more like slot and possession receivers. Now we're going to get targets, Like, how can we take this and kind of apply it to what we do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So, I mean what I would do is I would look at the specific offensive players who have already performed the best against this, and we found some really cool stuff off of that. So, first off, JSN was just way above everybody else in terms of the production against Too High. He ended up with eight hundred and forty one receiving yards against Too High last season, and nobody else had seven hundred, So he was nearly two hundred yards out in front of the rest of the field. So people are like, Okay, JSN had this enormous year. Is it really sustainable, especially with no Kubiak there? We don't know, But like he is doing something that you know, the rest of the NFL needs to start doing, which is figuring out how to beat this kind of coverage both underneath and deep. Like you know, Too High is designed as a thing that will take away that deep portion of the field, but if you go to the middle against Cover two, if you get a one on one outside go route against Cover four, Like, there is a possibility if you're a really talented receiver that you can make that work and produce off of that. Some other guys that we saw doing really well against this who could be in line for breakouts or you know, continued progression after solid rookie years would be Amika Igbuka and Tetero McMillan. Both of them were in the top fifteen in receiving yards against this coverage. And we're also taugh or near the top of the list in targets. So like they clearly have a lot of trust and you know they those two teams are going to be trying to make those guys number ones. I think that's pretty clear from their you know, team building strategy. So I'm really excited to see how it progresses. With the entire league playing a lot of too High every game it gets more valuable.
Speaker 5: So let's go to Pittsburgh. Man, you talk about number ones. Now we have two number ones in Pittsburgh with DK Metcalf and Michael Pittman. In your article you spoke about how too high data suggests both of these guys could really be effective in PPR leagues. What is it about their profile that makes them a fit for what McCarthy wants to run And is there a case that one or maybe both of them ends up being undervalued heading into twenty twenty six drafts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, potentially.
Speaker 6: I mean I think especially Pittman could end up undervalued, Like he has been a strong PPR guy for a while, and you know, doesn't necessarily get the shine that he deserves. He was more the kind of underneath outlet option I would say against too high, like if he if he would get a one on one underneath, or like find a softer zone underneath, I guess would be more of the idea he was getting. You know, these these easy you know, slant routes, just over and over fade routes, whatever you wanted to do. And so you know, he caught forty balls against that coverage. Last year, d K did not have quite the same volume, but he was actually highly efficient when he was targeted. He caught just over eighty percent of his targets when facing too high, So like he could be more the intermediate.
Speaker 4: Option on the other side of the field.
Speaker 6: If it is Aaron Rodgers back, like that's going to be read one and read two in some order when he gets this coverage, and so, you know, I think both of them could be really really productive.
Speaker 4: Just off of that.
Speaker 6: Another guy we saw be really efficient was Pat Farremouth. You know, Rogers is a veteran. He knows how to how to use his guys and you know, break down whatever he is seeing with the defense opposite him. And you know he's been he has worked with McCarthy for a long long time. So if that's the quarterback they elect to go with, then it could produce, you know, really impressive fantasy results.
Speaker 1: It warms my heart to hear you say that Michael Pittman may be a little bit undervalued, because I've been I've been trying to tell my esteemed co hosts this for weeks and it's like getting them to eat broccoli to get them to admit to this. So I appreciate that, but I guess it does sort of lend to the fact that the Colts felt like Michael Pittman was expendable because they went out and re signed Alec Peerce to a pretty sizable deal.
Speaker 2: So do we see you know, maybe greater use.
Speaker 1: Obviously we'll see greater usage for for Alec Pearce, But is there a way that he can be a guy who helps beat some of these split safety coverages. Can they find a way to kind of make him that lightning rod in the offense?
Speaker 4: Yes? Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Uh so so with Pittman, you know, he talked about him as broccoli like he Uh.
Speaker 4: I did think that was funny. Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, he's not gonna get you the deep balls, He's not going to get you the touchdowns. Alec Pierce has that splash play capability, and then he is also like a big body, quick twitch you know, I think he's six y three and runs a four to four sub four four or something like that, and so you know, he is really a do it all receiver and he has some of the same capabilities as a Jackson Smith and Jigba. Alec Pierce was the number one receiver in yards per target against too high coverage last season. So the Colts were like, Okay, we have this guy in the building and like, sure, we've been doing a good job executing the shorter routes to Pittman, but like Alec Pearce's is dynamic.
Speaker 4: He's tearing it up.
Speaker 6: Like if we give him more of that work, I don't see why.
Speaker 4: He shouldn't thrive.
Speaker 6: He showed a really complete type of game last year compared to like the deep ball, lonely thing he had been doing in previous seasons. So I see no reason why that couldn't continue to expand and he could become like a really tough, light type of guy.
Speaker 3: And I know in your article you are excited about the Arizona Cardinals pass catchers, so I want you to talk on that. But I'm gonna throw to a two part at you, right, who do you like more between Michael Wilson and Marvin Harrison Junior? And you touched on Brock Bowers earlier. Is Trey McBride your tight end one? Can Brock give him a run for his money this year?
Speaker 4: Oh man? That is a tough question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm gonna think about that for a second while I talk about the receivers. So I really liked what we saw out of Wilson late in the year last year. And one of the craziest things really that I came across when I was going through this research was Jacoby Brissette was tied for the NFL lead in touchdowns against split safety coverage last year, Like, who.
Speaker 4: Would have thought that?
Speaker 6: Not me personally. He threw ten tuddies and five of them were to Wilson. Wilson was the only guy with five touchdowns against split safety, which is really really interesting because this is usually a thing that's played kind of in the field between the twenties rather than in the red zone where you're gonna play man. So like the fact that he was able to get five touchdowns on mostly like deeper throws, that's really promising, especially.
Speaker 4: With a guy in.
Speaker 6: Mike Lafleur who has been working with Sean McVay, who is well known to shred this coverage to pieces. Just with whoever he has on his offense. You know, it's been Stafford Nikkouah recently, even with the golf and top you know back in him years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go, MVP, absolutely right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I think, you know, you could take kind of that blueprint and these are not guys who are going to go super high up in the draft, but maybe at the very end, if you're playing two quarterbacks and you want to go for Brissett, he's probably going to get numbers even if that team doesn't get wins, and that also means he's going to be throwing more so a guy who is near the top of the board in McBride. Personally, I think I would lean McBride because he was so far out in front of the field this year for over bowers. But you know, don't hold me to that. We could we could change up on that. They're they're they're a perfect number.
Speaker 4: March nineteenth. That take is written in ink.
Speaker 6: Now, stright, I guess, I guess I'm in every league. I gotta, you know, put a put money in my office. Uh okay now, but no, I am really excited about train McBride.
Speaker 2: UH.
Speaker 6: If you go back to the chiplocks. This is not going to surprise anyone. But he'd had the most targets, receptions in yards against or when UH thrown a chiplock, and then you know it was the same idea against UH too high coverage. He was the only tight end in the top ten for UH. Which stat is this, oh yard's over expected, which is a cool one. That's a that's a next gen stat that all of you should check out. It's UH indicative of a lot of things about a Guesst talent. But uh but you know also led again in targets, receptions and yards, and you know when you when you have a guy like that, you just kind of send it like it's it's really showing that he's doing it better than everyone else.
Speaker 5: We didn't get, is it Michael Wilson mar person, Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: Say, well, we gotta know, no for sure.
Speaker 6: I I'm definitely on Wilson pretty strong this year. You know, Harrison's been super up and down. I was really in on him last year. I thought he was going to figure it out and that's not what we saw, so especially with this too High data in mind, but also just with how the second half of last year went like, yeah, I would I would say Wilson has kind of taken it over there.
Speaker 5: Nice, Well, let's pivot to the Patriots. I mean, who will be taken over to production against Too High? I mean, could it be Booty, could it be Dobbs? I mean both were highly efficient on the volume in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Mm hm, that's that's a really good question.
Speaker 6: So I think the idea is kind of that we need to think about who is taking over for the workload of Stephan.
Speaker 4: Dicks, and that could be both of them.
Speaker 6: But I think the reason they went out and gave a really big chunk of money to Romeo Dobbs is because they kind of see him that way. So I could easily foresee this being a career year for him. You know, we saw Drake may being super super accurate last year, just you know, high completion percentage guy, and Dobbs has generally been really really good at getting himself open in zone. So you know, that lends itself to an accurate quarterback who can just hit him in stride and get him going. And so you know, Stefan Diggs, older guy who had a little bit of a fantasy renaissance in the early part of last year. Dobbs seems to fit right into that space.
Speaker 4: I do love Booty as well.
Speaker 6: Like, if you're gonna, you know, be looking at either one of them in.
Speaker 4: A draft, maybe you just go for both.
Speaker 6: Because if you're talking about what I was saying earlier with who is going to run that outside go and be cover four or something like that.
Speaker 4: That is k Shan Boody to a tea.
Speaker 6: We saw it as far as the touchdown production more than just about anyone else last season, and you know so with more volume and more opportunities, that should only continue to rise.
Speaker 1: Hey well, James, we appreciate the time you had a lot of great work. For everybody who's out there looking for you can go find it at NFL dot com. Look for stuff by the Next Gen Stats team, James, with a few articles up there about the chip blocks. It's called the secret weapon NFL offenses are using to buy qbs an extra half second. Also some of the two high safety work, the coverage that turned the Seahawks into Super Bowl winners and is taking the NFL by storm. James, we appreciate any anything you got working on anything in the pipeline.
Speaker 2: Maybe folks should keep an eye out.
Speaker 4: For Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: So within the last week or so, we did get another one up on the site. So if you are looking for what next Gen Status believes are the best free agency fits of this recent crop of signings, someone that's going to go really well with the new coachra coordinator that they're working with, or fill a gap that existed for that team, then yeah, definitely check that article out.
Speaker 4: It is live.
Speaker 6: These are all on NFL dot com. You can find them under my name or under the Next Gen Stats Analytics team. We're also going to be putting one out on the kind of a draft primer, what we think are ideal fits from a next perspective as we get close to the draft, what could work out.
Speaker 4: In the first round.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to say it's like a hardline mock, it's just like some speculation on the subject. And then I would definitely say to follow our Twitter at Next Gen Stats. We have new stuff coming out on there all the time, some really good insights that you know you can't get elsewhere.
Speaker 2: So awesome. Sounds great. Sure to check that out.
Speaker 1: NFL dot com slash nngs one of the easy ways to find that, And as you mentioned, I'll follow the Next Gen Stats Twitter account as well.
Speaker 2: But that'll do.
Speaker 1: It for this edition of the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast. Stay happy, safe and healthy, do good and live well if you want to tournament everybody, It's that time of year and we will talk to you all again on Tuesday. Wow.