Speaker 1: Okay, Michelle, here's a real ass adulting question for you. Favorite shore to do, least favorite sort to do and why go go go.
Speaker 2: Favorite favorite sort do is definitely cleaning the kitchen counter and like I'm making my bed because they're very simple. I can get it done in five minutes and it just like makes me feel like the place is clean.
Speaker 3: Least favorite garbage, Yeah, I'm so cue.
Speaker 2: I went to college. I'm a black person with freckles and I'm Caribbean. That's a big deal. I don't want to take garbage out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that trifecta. You don't want to deal with garbage.
Speaker 3: That trifecta is trifling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yet you wordplay put it on a magnet?
Speaker 5: Do you want to ask me?
Speaker 3: Not really? Ow? Hey, everybody, I'm a show hotel and I'm Jordan Carlos.
Speaker 1: I like how you said that, And welcome to adultings for w NIS Studio.
Speaker 2: In this episode, we hear from three really amazing people.
Speaker 3: You have such good stories. We have Joye L. Johnson.
Speaker 5: Indeed, we also have Julia, Rosie.
Speaker 2: And Beggar also just FYI, guys, we talk about some really personal stuff and yeah it might be dark. Yeah it might be crazy, but I think everybody goes through something and we need to create a space to talk about it, and that's what we did in this episode.
Speaker 6: I hope you enjoyed the rye.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm just curious. Make some noise. If you're in your twenties, that's.
Speaker 5: All they can give. They're the battery is always like they're tired of.
Speaker 3: Paying these taxes. Y'all got to get the fun.
Speaker 7: Together, okay, because I have a navy.
Speaker 2: Blazer on and red lips and I'm ready to give it to you like a Delta attendant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, chicken a puss, some motherfucker.
Speaker 2: I loove like Sam Jackson and Julianna Martin Lee's had a baby.
Speaker 3: I'm like stick. So I'm fucking playing.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when I think I've done bad in my career, like oh I should have done this, I'm just like, just remember Sam Jackson did Snakes.
Speaker 3: On a plane and he was Okay, did you see it?
Speaker 5: It was good in bad. I saw it a bunch of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know me, you know what's about. Okay, So Jordan came over this week.
Speaker 2: He always makes fun of me because I had a five S C phone or C S whatever the fuck I got a new phone, And so Jordan came over this week and it was to celebrate the new phone.
Speaker 3: Just kidding, He's not.
Speaker 2: I like to see my bundles of joy, and uh my, there was laundry everywhere, and like I like to apologize when my house is not a proper representation of who I am.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like you can have some dishes in the sink, but the countertop cannot be messy when something comes over, because it's just like ew, you live like that. And I felt bad because it was a very imprompt to visit and I was just like, you know, like my bed wasn't made, there was dishes in the sink with stepping over laundry, and I was.
Speaker 5: Just like there was no judgments.
Speaker 1: I mean, you have kids, so it's like everything Like their room was immaculate, immaculate.
Speaker 5: It was like, so their.
Speaker 2: Room was amazing and my room looked like the Hangover movie.
Speaker 5: I mean that's you know what I gonna happen.
Speaker 8: You know what?
Speaker 3: This is like a very quick cleaning situation for me. I stuff shipping draws.
Speaker 5: Is that what you do?
Speaker 2: I stuff stuff in draws? I have like seven junk draws by accident.
Speaker 5: Cool, I random applause.
Speaker 1: Whose closet stuffer is like if you have somebody come over you just like.
Speaker 3: Everything falls out.
Speaker 5: I was such a closet stuffer back in the day.
Speaker 3: It's like that sounds like something else, And now I'm willing.
Speaker 5: To come out close and stuffer. All right, that's what I do. Stove top, stove top, all right, just water.
Speaker 2: You know, I always felt like you could tell so much about somebody when you go to their house and announce and look at their bathroom sink.
Speaker 5: Oh, has it got the Tuesday stain up top?
Speaker 3: So many says yuck? Have you ever wiped it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Can I see that old hair around the toilet seat? I'm like, how do you.
Speaker 5: Live like this?
Speaker 3: Your animal? Your animal, especially boys on wash their no doubt.
Speaker 5: I always bathroom clean.
Speaker 2: If you want a dirty toilet, saint, nobody wants to suck your day.
Speaker 3: It's two minutes. You gotta clean tarlet.
Speaker 9: You bet very clean, and you can't handle me and my worst you.
Speaker 2: Know what happened the other day. Okay, I'm just gonna switch gears for two point two. I can talk about cleaning all day. We have a lot of visitors dop buy the house to like they had the babies and stuff, and like one of my one of my friend's husbands is like one of these like inappropriate huggers.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Like he'll take it's like we're doing a slow dance and he'll go and tight and hold it and I'm like nice to the too. Yeah, the underneath he gets like the he cups the back fat on the bottom.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this is this is very intimate. No, I don't like it.
Speaker 2: What do you What do you do when like somebody's boyfriend or girlfriend has just like got the wondering eye?
Speaker 3: Do you tell them?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think when you have like a guy with a wondering eye, it's important to call it out, but in a way that it's like bulletproof where you don't get fucked over, right, Like so maybe you could say something like how I go like I just feel that, I feel that, and.
Speaker 5: They're using I statements sometimes Gerald.
Speaker 3: Jerald did this happen in nineteen four?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah in France.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that he isn't as respectful to you as he could be. Oh shit, what think what I'm talking about?
Speaker 5: All Right? That's what you do.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing too, How could like, what is the line between flirting and being inappropriate?
Speaker 1: I think flirting is inappropriate, Like you don't flirt, you don't flirt with somebody else's like yeah, yeah, friend, if you're in a relationship.
Speaker 5: You're not, Like I want to fuging Gerald.
Speaker 1: This is Gerald from France who doesn't have a hold on the English language. And it's like, you know, I'm more, you know, like, uh.
Speaker 5: We should get this show, We should get the show start. Are you all ready for the show? Yes?
Speaker 2: Our first guest on this fucking episode of adulting is so fucking I'm.
Speaker 3: Just talking.
Speaker 10: Podcast like this fucking ship. Please shake this person tired, look at the It's okay, all right. Our next guest is amazing. She's wonderful. She plays all over town. You go full lovelhood titties as I did too.
Speaker 5: You can't say anything. You putting me in a very awkward position. All right, I agree with what you said.
Speaker 11: All right, guys, let's please put your hands together. John Joy, you.
Speaker 3: Stick here, he is your mic that's.
Speaker 12: Joy?
Speaker 3: Hid.
Speaker 5: How you doing? Hey? How you doing? What? What's that?
Speaker 3: You are a good friend to the end.
Speaker 2: We are pretty new in our friendship, and we decided to test our friendship. And we went to Ikea on a Sunday. What the lines were long and yeah, and the mouth was dark.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: And we tried to get food and we just didn't we trying.
Speaker 2: To get food and it did feel like an episode of Oranges and New Black. I was like, do we stay here? Do we wait for them to come get us? We're just hold like we about to like hold fucking we tried.
Speaker 5: I don't know it was.
Speaker 3: It was no, I don't need.
Speaker 5: Did just do?
Speaker 3: Give it up for thank you? Next, tell me tell me a little bit about how you grew up.
Speaker 5: How I grew up.
Speaker 12: I grew up little girl in New Jersey, Jersey in the hell yes people, yes, yes Jersey. I'm Jersey girl from you in New Jersey.
Speaker 3: And I grew up.
Speaker 5: I actually was doing.
Speaker 12: Going to school illegally because I grew up in the girl.
Speaker 5: I would go too. I broke the law to go to school.
Speaker 12: This is what real black people do. We had the good house on the the good block and the bad neighborhood, which was the Starrs, New Jersey, and then I would go to my aunt's house during the week in Union, New Jersey, and I would go to school illegally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I got caught a couple of times.
Speaker 5: That's wow. I mean you did what you had to do. Yeah, I did. When you when did you know you were gonna like be a comedian? Was it in school? Were you like cracking people up in class and things like that?
Speaker 12: I was always the observer, so I was a sit in that corner. Did you hate that question?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: Should stock? That's like, that's such a stock question. Did you know it was a lie? While you were going to school? You were just like, this is what I gotta do, Like you knew the difference between like lies until.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was super smart, So yeah, I know. And then how did your mom explain to you? Because your mom's like, don't lie to me, but lie when you're in school exactly, which.
Speaker 5: Is why I knew.
Speaker 12: I was like, oh, no, adults know what they're doing, Like I knew that from a child. I was like, Oh, everyone's just fucking shooting the ship here, troubleshooting.
Speaker 5: So how'd you get caught?
Speaker 3: They had private investigators that would, yeah, would follow you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I've never talked about this before that's hilarious, investigator, Yeah, I would follow you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's because it costs money.
Speaker 12: So if you're supposed to, if you want to go to a better school district, you know't live in that school district. You got to pay money, like at a private school. So if they suspect somebody does not live in the area, they will follow.
Speaker 3: You have friends you keep in touch with from that school. No, did you have a crush?
Speaker 5: Of course crushed?
Speaker 3: What was his name?
Speaker 12: I don't remember anyway, do you have I'm my mother's only child, but I have half siblings instead.
Speaker 5: Are they in comedy too or no?
Speaker 12: No, no, no, no, but my half siblings are also artists, and all of our parents collectively are doctors and nurses.
Speaker 5: And then we're all.
Speaker 3: Okay because we show without the ripe comfory.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so a lot of a lot of people find company. Let's not get dark. I'm trying to keep a light.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 12: Those stories that I never trusted Bill Cosby, and I was like, don't get it dark.
Speaker 5: But yeah, my father's the reason.
Speaker 12: Because my father is a doctor and my mother was his you know, mistress or whatever, and I was the side baby. So I was the other side had the other perspective, and you had a wife and kids that were like the trophy wife and kids that were the Cosby Show.
Speaker 3: And I was like, that's bullshit.
Speaker 12: I don't know, like how your giving spirit fingers to this.
Speaker 5: Alone? Oh my god?
Speaker 3: So many follow ups? Yeah, so many follows.
Speaker 2: I mean talk about I mean, we talk about adulting, but that's like next level. People talk about I can't find an apartment. I like, you were just like seeing some ship as a kid, kid, And did you did you ever resent your mom for this or was she like your best friend?
Speaker 3: Talk about a therapy that I do.
Speaker 12: Go to therapy, guys, every fantastic, you know, because the whole life you're like dead we dad, hate the dead dad.
Speaker 5: But then you're like, mom, would he come and visit you? Guys doing I will add a layer to it.
Speaker 3: I would go to his house and be there.
Speaker 5: But he didn't acknowledge me as his kids.
Speaker 12: Oh what, I don't know how y'all started these questions, But ask a comedian about their childhood.
Speaker 3: Great idea, guys, Well I want I'm a great idea.
Speaker 5: So did you know you always wanted to be a comedian? She's like, no, you want to ask him dark life is spreading.
Speaker 12: It's glad I put on the waterproof mass scary.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, like that, has that has shaped you for sure?
Speaker 2: Way? Do you have trust issues with men?
Speaker 5: I'm asking the same questions. I'm asking obvious questions.
Speaker 12: Okay, all right, you had a shitty child.
Speaker 5: So you can put your tears in that. Want you to carry your baggage? Oh my god, Oh my god, oh my god. It yeah, I can't agree.
Speaker 1: You know what, I've never heard that in your stand up. That is a very powerful thing. Have you thought of like putting it?
Speaker 12: We'll talk about having a deadbeat doctor dad, which is just a weird thing. So I've expounded on that, but haven't gotten that deep yet.
Speaker 5: You know, say that for the Get that on the Netflix.
Speaker 12: Yeah, y'all laugh in the beginning, and have you bitch just crying?
Speaker 3: No? I mean, okay, can I ask my next question?
Speaker 2: Yes, twenty nineteen, what's the most adult thing you want to do for yourself?
Speaker 12: I want to I wanna get my own radio show on serious Exam. All right, yeah, we're already in the works for that, so yes, yes, yes, yes, yeah, So currently you guys can listen to me, uh filling in for godfree on Serious except.
Speaker 5: Urban View Black Urban, but oh no, Urban View Black Black.
Speaker 3: Don Will was my guest on Valentine's Day. What did y'all talk about? Chocolate hearts?
Speaker 5: We talked about bombing. That's like one of my biggest things.
Speaker 2: We gotta say bombing on stage because you know, bombing on stage.
Speaker 3: But I talked about bombing.
Speaker 12: You talked about like, you know, we're gonna talk about bombing on save and I and I told the listeners to call in about life bombs. And this one guy calls in and he's like, he went on a cruise with his girlfriend, proposed to her on the first day of the cruise and she said no, no, and they.
Speaker 3: Had to spend the rest of the cruise together. Where is she said no? But she was on a cruise.
Speaker 5: You know what a cruise? I think on the last day you gotta say, like, how about now, you know that's a.
Speaker 3: Last day question for sure.
Speaker 12: Listen to Joan on What Serious ExM Channel one twenty series.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, what crazy history.
Speaker 10: Yes, he's.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to it, don't together? And then we thought about how hard it must be for someone to propose to another person, it's it's.
Speaker 5: It's not easy. How did you? How did how did heist do it?
Speaker 2: We were in Spain, because that's what I do. We were in Spain and and we was our first vacation together. I had no idea he was gonna do it. And I thought he was just being extra. And he wants to like ride a motorcycle and I was like no. And then he wanted to sail a boat. I was like, no, chrystals, and then and you wanted to.
Speaker 3: Do all these things.
Speaker 2: I was like, why are he being so extra? This European man being so extra? And then he's like, let's get a bottle of cava Spanish champagne. Stop it, let's sit and drink it. I was like, that's must be sitting and drinking on a fucking beach. And he only brought one bottle. I was like, this is gonna be a short night. And then he's like, let's climb as a mountain. I was like, why is he making me exercise?
Speaker 5: It was that night.
Speaker 2: Half the time, I think he's trying to kill me because he wants to take a long walk at night.
Speaker 3: He's like, let's go see what's in the shed. I was like no, no, no, no, no, no no, no, I'm good. I'm good. Nothing good happens in the shed.
Speaker 5: He's like de Niro and Goodfellas, just.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he popped the question and it was like, so sweet. I had no idea. How did you pop the question?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 5: We asked each other at the same time.
Speaker 1: I was like, do you want to because she's she's a childhood divorce and she she felt cynical about it, and I was like, I love you, want to spend the rest of my life for you. And she's like, but we talked about her for a couple days and it was like the same time, motherfucker.
Speaker 2: So uh.
Speaker 5: It was like will you marry me? And She's like, will you marry me? And I was like, yes, I will, Yes, it will. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: I was so dutch. I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: Guys, wear tell some questions about adulting. Are we gonna answer those questions?
Speaker 3: Bitch?
Speaker 5: You ready?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 3: I can't wait?
Speaker 1: Question time, Question number one about adulting. This is very good at handwriting. Is getting a turtle too much responsibility for a person who still sleeps in a twin.
Speaker 5: Bed a turtle. Look at that sh.
Speaker 1: Af af a f a f asking for a friend up.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I like you.
Speaker 5: You're interesting. You're like in this big great is sitting in New York sep twin.
Speaker 3: Maybe this person needs like a tiny house.
Speaker 1: I think that's great. You live in a dolls house and I think that's awesome. It depends on the size of the turtle. Are we talking about it like a tortuga, like.
Speaker 5: A sea turtle? We we're talking about a box turtle. What the fun we're talking about? Like, you know whatever, Let the turtle be small.
Speaker 4: I would say, get a finicky plant first and see how you do with that.
Speaker 5: Then let the turtle eat the plants, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, that's great, And turtles are a commitment. They last a long.
Speaker 1: Time, Yeah, a long time. But but like I feel that this person has it with it. I think you have it within you to have a turtle. Because you sound quirky as.
Speaker 3: Fuck and single as fuck. What's the question?
Speaker 5: You have some more questions? You can't do it? Do you actually need to flip a mattress? How long should i'm mattress? How long mattress last?
Speaker 7: That is prime adulting questions.
Speaker 5: Have we got a good questions? We have a question. It's a good question. Don what's your money? What you think about?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 5: I think that?
Speaker 1: Like the old school spring mattresses, you had to flip them to make sure they wore evenly.
Speaker 5: But I don't know about the phone situation, so I need to know about this. It's a fam mattress? Is it a tasks? Wait? Are you making fun of me?
Speaker 3: Or are you just saying it like that?
Speaker 5: I kinda, but I love you. I just want to say, castball mattress. I don't know that's fucking nice.
Speaker 3: Are you single? Who's helping you flip this ship?
Speaker 5: Flip it yourself?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 5: I think a mattress is supposed to last ten years, right, so it's like something like that. So maybe flipping at five? You don't flip a five? Okay, calm damn, all right, thank you. We got the fucking paper clip from Microsoft. Word over here. You don't flip a houl mattress.
Speaker 9: It's self flipping, all right, just asking goddamn, Okay, damn, the mattress king is here?
Speaker 3: Well the one they say Mama.
Speaker 5: Sleepies?
Speaker 3: Who bars for the rest of Joe.
Speaker 5: By your death bed. Love that all right? That's sleepy, they say, for the rest of your Okay, you know what? Fuck yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: You just beat yourself up so easily. It's my favorite thing. Now you know how women feel all the time.
Speaker 5: Jesus. Okay, this one's interesting. Dog or boyfriend? Which is more adulting?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I say the dog?
Speaker 5: You say the dogs?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that dog needs you mind.
Speaker 3: That dog depends on you, although both don't pick that ship up.
Speaker 5: That's good. That's good. I can't top that. Should we move on to our next guest?
Speaker 2: She's so amazing, she's a good friend, she's a fucking hilarious comedian actor.
Speaker 3: Please give it up for.
Speaker 7: Two girls high so we don't.
Speaker 2: I've known you for a long time, so I was just like, what can I ask you? You're like fucking anything, and there were so many things. Okay, you're Italian, your parents are from Italy, Yes, so you're like the real Italian.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 3: In high school, you want to date a black guy? What happened?
Speaker 8: I was interested in a black fella in high school and my Italian dad wasn't excited.
Speaker 4: Shocker, it was.
Speaker 8: They're old and I also from the suburbs of Boston. I mean, there's so many points against this whole situation. Oh yeah, waiting to happen, Yeah yeah, I mean the hope was that I was going to marry like one of their Italian plumber friends, you know what I mean, like that was to drain your pipes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yes, very good. I'm so sorry. Yeah did you date this kid on the slide though?
Speaker 8: I mean I gave him a hand job and then he didn't talk to me afterwards, and then I was really sad.
Speaker 4: And then two years later I gave him another hand job and he still I was like, how many will take for you don't like me?
Speaker 5: Was the right hand the first time? And then like the left hand the next time?
Speaker 4: Or I get I get carpal tunnel, and then I sometimes do like a double.
Speaker 3: What's it like having immigrant parents?
Speaker 4: What's it like?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, so I just learned about the term third culture kids. Do you know what that means? And it like really summed up not less's.
Speaker 8: On the plus sized T shirt at Asos, So was anyone you're raised by immigrant parents?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: So so third culture kids?
Speaker 8: And just turned out the term and then I went down a Google hole about it, and I felt so comforted. So basically, and it means is like, you are raised in America by one culture, but you don't fully feel American because you're being raised so strongly.
Speaker 4: By the other culture. However, then when you go to that culture, you were raised. So when I go to Italy, they call me American. So I kind of belong nowhere.
Speaker 3: Oh I understand that. Yeah, Jamaica, I'm American. In Jersey, I had the smelly lunch, yes, yes, yes. So when I met you, you were out of.
Speaker 2: College doing stand up and you were like you were engaged for a long time, and I remember we hung out and got drunk one night we just met.
Speaker 3: You're like, should I get married? I'm like, bitch, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then I was like, oh I love her, yeah Shamz Saez.
Speaker 5: And when I met you, you were married, but your husband was living in Boston and you were living in New York.
Speaker 2: Then she invited me to the whole wedding last minute. We knew each other for five minutes, and I went because everybody was going.
Speaker 4: Over, Yeah, you're fun.
Speaker 3: Why were you with? Why were you with homeboy for so long?
Speaker 4: So he was my college boyfriend who was my first boyfriend.
Speaker 8: You know, I call him like the on paper, like you know, on paper, it's like handsome, funny, smart, like there was no The hardest breakups are when you have no reason to break up with something.
Speaker 4: Right, there was like the floor of it all you've ever lingered?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you were lingered, all right, so go on?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, so I stayed because he was great and I was like, well, I'm never going to meet anyone better. He's wonderful and I loved him and I couldn't find a good reason anyways, I needed to separate so I could grow fly and uh yeah, and that's so then you know, I goes married for I was with him for nine years but only married one.
Speaker 4: And I like an expensive breakup. And but that's the thing, right, like you're with you're with.
Speaker 2: This person forever and never never, and there's like a crack in the relationship, right and then you put something very crazy on top of it, and it'll just break.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: It's like when people try to have a baby to save their marriage. Like it's the same thinking, yes, you.
Speaker 3: Can't have a baby to save your marriage. Even a dog, don't do that to that dog.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how was dating for.
Speaker 3: You when you broke up?
Speaker 2: Because if you you basically grew up with this boy, like you get him in college and now you're like in the dating world. Well, so I was.
Speaker 4: My plan was to go out and like explore.
Speaker 8: But then I gotten you another relationship a month later, and that was a long rebound that lasted a few years.
Speaker 7: I remember, yeah, I know, yes, So can I just say you know when.
Speaker 2: You're like no specifics, your friend is with somebody and you're like okay, and you you want to help them.
Speaker 3: You want to help them, you want to like it.
Speaker 7: I was so vulnerable, and I was vulnerable, and I was like.
Speaker 4: Well this new persons the opposite.
Speaker 8: And if you know that bullet porrige shouldn't work, then maybe this bullet porridge will be like the bears.
Speaker 4: You know, you get too hot.
Speaker 7: You called too hot and then and they.
Speaker 8: But then after I went to that breakup, I did commit to being single for a year and that was like the best year of my life.
Speaker 3: Like, there's no better person to love than yourself.
Speaker 7: I know, thank you.
Speaker 5: I think it was Mary. How can I love somebody else if I can't love myself enough to know afford that song.
Speaker 2: In closing, Julia Rossie, you have you've been through like a lot of adult ship very young.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, what do you.
Speaker 2: Find is the best the best situation for adulting for yourself right now? Uh?
Speaker 3: Can you what do you mean to be an adult?
Speaker 4: To throw to like a philosophy sort of.
Speaker 8: Not be I think the biggest thing I've learned that makes me feel like an individual and an adult is uh not like live a life of shoots and instead live a life of like wance and actually being connected with my thoughts.
Speaker 4: But should like should get married?
Speaker 8: I should be this, I should have this job, I should like all that stuff like should ruin everything?
Speaker 4: So I think that's like, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't say this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Julie Rossi, everybody.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 12: Mess.
Speaker 5: Julia ros Welcome back to adulting. That's another question you want to answers.
Speaker 3: Que should grown men play video games? Not if you want to get fucked?
Speaker 1: I think that answers that's your question. My question is this, as an adult, what would you do for a million dollars? That's literally the question, guys. It is written by an eight year old boy.
Speaker 7: You like going.
Speaker 5: For some dead as birthcase I don't know what I would do it for a million dollars A lot, a lot.
Speaker 3: Is it ever too late to figure out what you want to do with your life? Never? Never?
Speaker 1: You know what? You know?
Speaker 2: What really gets in my nerves though, people that talk about doing ship and never do it, Shut the fuck up and do it, or don't find someone else to talk to you about it, because it feels like I've had the same conversation for five fucking years, and I'm like, I'm already doing the thing you want to do.
Speaker 3: Oh, you gotta do it.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about getting it right or perfect or what people are gonna say or looking bad.
Speaker 3: Just fucking do it.
Speaker 5: Do that first pancake, Get it out, Get it out. That's right, all right.
Speaker 3: We gotta bring our last guest down. Is very exciting. Oh my god, she's wonderful and I love her. I know you will too. Please give it up for.
Speaker 4: Beg even show.
Speaker 3: Okay, Hey, where are you from? How'd you grow up? I'm from Boston and how did I grow up?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Somebody said, like we have we have a spoiled French prince in the audience. Take him away, Take him away.
Speaker 3: I know you grew up in Boston, but I don't know what point Boston is like very little Boston, I sound. I try to sound tough and say Boston, but it's really Newton, so it's like a right. Yeah, it's like a privileged suburb. But I try to be tough about it. Yeah yeah, yeah right. And what kind of kid were you in high school? I just liked everyone. I liked everyone, and no one liked when I got everyone together, like they didn't like each other. Yeah, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm that person too. I have friend groups. You try to bring them together and it don't work.
Speaker 3: It doesn't work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that happened to me.
Speaker 1: I literally I was trying to put together a little brunchy brunch and uh, two people that don't like each other in the text chain, right, I was like meet at this time.
Speaker 5: They came and then they told me we don't like each other, and I was like, why did you come me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So you have she has three beautiful children, thank you? Yes, and you have two girls and a boy.
Speaker 3: Yes, good, you're doing good.
Speaker 5: What are their ages?
Speaker 3: What are their names? Michelle? Stop it, no, I'm kidding. What are their ages? There are seven eleven and thirteen.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Arabia, Sophie, Liam, Yes, please, my kids.
Speaker 3: Wanted to come to this show. They yeah, And then Sophie was like, is Michelle going to talk about her brown titties?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, bang bab brown to the tame Bag.
Speaker 3: Wait, love you. This is the same one. This is the same one. The other day. We're talking about peer pressure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I said, what are you going to say if someone offers you drugs or alcohol? And she said, that's easy, mommy, I'll just tell them I can't have that. I'm pregnant.
Speaker 5: That's good, that's what you want to do.
Speaker 7: That's good.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 3: It's real good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So how do you go about navigating them in this crazy world of having two independent, thoughtful girls?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Also, how do you raise a boy to not be a dick? Right? Well, he's seven, so I don't know what's going to happen with him. But but girls, I don't know honestly, And I'm not trying to be like cheesy. I just think raise them with humor. I if someone doesn't have a sense of humor, something's really weird. If you can't laugh at yourself, I don't know what your story is. But I just think raise them with humor. I give them advice I know is wrong like that, I know I say it and they're like, well, well, so my daughter's thirteen. And I was like, okay, you have to treat your regina like it's your iPhone. Take care of it like that, keep it clean, you know know where it is, and don't put any dicks on it, like just don't know what you got to update it updated, gonna charge it?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, only use your thumb.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just feel like they take her their phone so well, and I'm like, how can I get them to protect their vagina like that?
Speaker 5: And so that's the case absolutely.
Speaker 2: I asked you before the show if I can ask you anything, Yes, you can, okay, because I've known you for a while and I know that this really, really fucking sad thing happened to you, and I want to be mindful and respectful, but I also, you know, want to talk about it, especially on this platform, because I think it's important to talk about things that happened to us. Because for me, I had four miscarriages in two years, and for someone who just like screams their feelings on stage, I felt so lonely. I had no one to talk to, which is which is important, right because even if you don't know how to talk about something with somebody else, it's like you should still listen to them. So can you just tell us what you went through if you feel comfortable enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: So so I got pregnant. I'm married, so it was okay I should say that first I was married, we got pregnant, everything was fantastic. I went to the doctor, they said he's due tomorrow. The next day was my birthday, so I was like, this is amazing. Everything was amazing. October eighth, thank you, she remembered, good for you, Where's my gift? So so that evening I went to bed thinking maybe i'd be having him the next day, and I felt him moving, and I woke up and I did not feel him moving. So, long story short, I had a full term still birth. A lot of people don't know because you think, well, you can elect maybe to have a cesareans so you don't have to go through labor, because I'd never been through labor, but you do have to go through labor. So that was my first experience as a mom, and it was just the worst. I mean, it was a nightmare.
Speaker 2: I'm really trying not to cry because I have like very thick Amy Winehouse eyeliner on.
Speaker 3: I know it looks good.
Speaker 2: It looks good, and how has How did this shape your relationship with your husband and most importantly yourself?
Speaker 3: It definitely changed who I am. I don't ever one has their own experience in this room, and you don't, and I know you do, and it's a different experience. I think if you've been through grief, there's there's a thread of it that's the same, no matter what form it took. So if it's your dad or your mom, or a sibling or your The thing about a child is that it wasn't supposed to happen. That's how it feels. So it feels more natural if if you kind of could see it coming at some point. So it definitely changed I am. It's like the me before that and then the met after that. And I liked the me before that better. She was a little happier and friendlier, but my husband was amazing. That's how you know you married the right person when you go through something like or even have the right friends yes, friends yes, or even have the right parents. Yes, Oh well yeah, because like I love my parents, but they were useless.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know what, though everyone tries to make things better, like stop trying to make it better.
Speaker 7: Just let it be what it is like.
Speaker 3: And then I had a lot of time. I needed a lot of time, and I literally said to Ron, if you can't wait for me to be back, then sayonara and everyone did. But you have to respect people's time, their process, whatever it's going to take.
Speaker 2: Stop trying to We have to respect our own time and our process, because don't we beat ourselves up and we're like I gotta get over this.
Speaker 3: I gotta get up. Yeah, I gotta be happy. I gotta be out in the world.
Speaker 2: And so it's like no, but you can actually like stay in those sweats for like another fucking day and think about shit.
Speaker 1: Well, I think one of the good things is to learn that you know, you're not alone. I my wife and I had two miscarriages in a year, and it was like devastating. And once you start saying it, people are like I had that too, you know, Like yes, but people like to keep they like to do the Instagram version of life, right, the highlights of life. But you learned that the story is universal and that what's presented to you by like baby magazines and shit like that is just just the the only like the happy part. So so I mean in that way, like what you just said about being a different person, I definitely had a like it was a watershed, like yeah, like exactly like that. And yeah, I used to be a lot more care free, but now I pay my goddamn bills on time.
Speaker 5: I feel I feel a lot more like grown ass of a person care that. Yeah, yeah, I fill up my gas tank.
Speaker 2: Yeah I'm never going to divorce my husband, but if we do, it's because I got stuck on the side of a fucking road.
Speaker 3: Because he does not fill up a tank.
Speaker 5: He does.
Speaker 3: He's that ten dollars guy, right, He's a ten dollar guy. And it feels parsonal.
Speaker 2: You know why, because he's an attractive white male from your He thinks it's always gonna work out and people got to stop on the side of road for him.
Speaker 3: And it's very different when you don't have a gating hole between your legs. This she could happen to a bitch. Why are you not writing this down?
Speaker 5: This can't this is what you need to know.
Speaker 2: So you have, you have, you have gone through some major fucking shit and you're a boss ass bitch and you love life enough to fucking hang in there and create more life, right, Yes, what do you want for yourself?
Speaker 3: For myself?
Speaker 2: Yes, in terms of adulting or whether it's like embracing your inner child, like, what do you want for yourself?
Speaker 3: I never think about myself. Fuck Like, it's always about other people.
Speaker 5: I know, it really is.
Speaker 3: What do I want? I just I want if they're happy. I'm happy, if my kids are happy, my husband's happy. Honest to god, I'm happy. I just want everyone to be healthy. I want to be doing more. I think it's important as parents that we still have our outlets. You know, we're still creative, We're still.
Speaker 5: Not no.
Speaker 3: I think we still need to do things we love and show our kids that you can find things to do that you love to do. Want you guys to be happy. I don't know what do I want to do?
Speaker 2: If you could, like like work wise, like anything anything, anything it does.
Speaker 3: He's not wrong, it's not right.
Speaker 5: Do you know what I want to do?
Speaker 1: Oh God, I was just gonna say I want to go horseback riding that's all I want to go.
Speaker 3: Your only goal right now?
Speaker 5: No this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's jeez, those Jesus So it's too tight for horseback.
Speaker 5: My jeans are fine, they have give it's writing this weekend, like you could, but I.
Speaker 7: Don't have time.
Speaker 5: I've got.
Speaker 2: You can't judge them on like his want okay, because like he probably doesn't have time to horseback, right, okay, So what do you want to do?
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to be horseback riding. I want to be I want to be like, oh, I can't say it. I want to be a working paid comedic writer and performer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no money.
Speaker 3: It's okay to want that. It's okay to want that. There's nothing wrong with wanting. How long it took me to say that didn't fucked up own it?
Speaker 2: It's I was like, I can't tell it because there's so many basic bitches would not in a fucking say me, and like, I don't want to do it this, Well, what you've been through?
Speaker 3: I waited in a long line.
Speaker 2: Of Starbucks, get the fuck yeah yeah yeah, And I took twelve years off.
Speaker 3: I know I'm leaving. I took twelve years off. And Michelle was like it doesn't matter. You still are who you are, and yes, lose it. She has inspired me so much.
Speaker 5: Look at that show. This was a show for the ages, it.
Speaker 3: Was for all ages. This is so many amazing stories. I'm very proud of this episode.
Speaker 5: I am too, Yeah, Joel Johnson and Julia Rossie.
Speaker 3: And beg you Vidoccio. I learned something from people that I've known for a very long time, and I feel like that's very special too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Adulting was produced by Blakeney Schick and Adanie Rubin. The Adulting team includes Joanna Solitariff Schumann, Joe Plored, Keecking, Zimma ed Haber, George Wellington, and Irene Trudell.
Speaker 3: The live show was produced by Christian Band.
Speaker 2: Their theme music is produced by Isaac Jokes, with additional music by.
Speaker 5: Don Will Don well And if you liked this episode, please.
Speaker 4: Like, rate, rate us or read review you were both.
Speaker 3: You got options on you.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, do you want me to put on a plus size ten Kney from Walmart, sit down, eat some.
Speaker 3: Chicken in a boat?
Speaker 7: I will.
Speaker 2: If you really want to know who I truly am, I will do that for you, and then you could review that, because I just want to get.
Speaker 3: Close to you.
Speaker 1: I see ten stars all around, and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts so you don't miss the next episode.
Speaker 2: That's right, And you know what, for women at least, if you're wearing a bansuit, there's nothing wrong with just.
Speaker 3: Like pulling it to the side to pink.
Speaker 2: You don't have to pull it all the way down because it's like very wet and sticking it hard to pull up and down.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Absolutely,