Speaker 1: I leave in I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 2: Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 3: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim, and give us time and a termino and gaye ad.
Speaker 4: We want to send you off in style.
Speaker 2: We wanna welcome you back home.
Speaker 5: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: We scared her?
Speaker 5: Was it fine?
Speaker 3: Malborn?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do your need ride?
Speaker 4: Ride with Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need to ride? This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgarriff. We uh boy, it's been a while since I've seen you.
Speaker 1: My god, how your hair looks so long?
Speaker 5: Yes, you look like have you been overseas? We just let's let's.
Speaker 4: Let people in. Okay, we just finished an episode. We were sugar crashing, so we decided, hey, let's stop this episode. Yeah, we waited one whole minute and now we're starting to you. Yeah, but don't worry. We got sugar right here in the console.
Speaker 3: It's fine there, don't worry about us. I'm eating on the show. We'll always do it for you.
Speaker 4: Yes. In the drink holder, there's large horse sized sugar cubes.
Speaker 3: Actually, can I show you something that made me laugh? And I do not know how this got here in the drinkholder here on my side.
Speaker 4: Look, just one peanut.
Speaker 3: There's a peanut, and I don't it's a full old fashioned mister peanut style. It just needs a monocle and some tap shoes. And this is mister peanut. Yes, a peanut. I didn't put it here. I don't eat peanuts like I'm like at a baseball game.
Speaker 1: I don't know where it came from. And it's here.
Speaker 4: Is so bizarre. You have a classic nineteen forties roasted peanut.
Speaker 5: Just one put it in your mouth?
Speaker 4: I do dare me?
Speaker 1: Well, what's it from that? Like a squirrel could have put it in there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he doesn't get inside that shell. The nuts are fine.
Speaker 3: Okay, uh oh, I think I have to do it like a full turnaround and then.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, okay, yeah, it's just like uber drive have they have to worry about it all the time. Yeah, which side of the street are you on? I am guys?
Speaker 1: Pinut surprises?
Speaker 3: Am?
Speaker 5: I right?
Speaker 4: It's insane. Yeah, that's almost scary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just because.
Speaker 4: It's a haunted food from yesteryear just in your modern car.
Speaker 1: It's true. And also it's like even my squirrel excuse is like, well what are you talking?
Speaker 5: Oh wait, am ie? Two differently right now?
Speaker 4: I think you're in the middle.
Speaker 1: But but I don't think.
Speaker 5: I see now we're back in one length.
Speaker 4: You were fine. You were fine that whole time. It just had the feel of you were almost that person that we hate, the one that drives in the middle. Yes see, now it.
Speaker 5: Would be bad, Yeah, now it would be.
Speaker 4: That was just bad civic design.
Speaker 3: My thing is, where would a panut? Like did a funny friend do the peanut? And then I'm just not getting how funny that is?
Speaker 4: Right? What I think? A left or right?
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's back behind us?
Speaker 4: Yeah right, there's two options, and I always mess it up. Oh and now we're looking at a dead end. I take full responsibility.
Speaker 3: This is good content right here, listener, we're in an alley. There's a porta Patti. There's some garbage. You wouldn't believe what we're looking at right now?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Was it?
Speaker 4: I don't. It's something very well known. But what show or movie was it? Where it's a meeting where you're supposed to be serious and someone just sets a pez dispenser up and it sits there and they both can't stop laughing because it's just a pez dispenser. I don't know, maybe it was an episode of Seinfeld, but yeah, some a friend just placing a random singular object for you to find later or to notice, and you're surprised by it.
Speaker 3: But I'm truly racking my brain of like, what friend has been in my car recently?
Speaker 4: Oh, the friend that put the peanut. There is an apparition that is translucent and from another time.
Speaker 5: He is a ghost peanut. Yes.
Speaker 4: The people are always under the misconception that a new car can't be haunted since you're the first owner.
Speaker 5: Oh that's not true.
Speaker 4: I've seen movies recently where ghosts can travel and go to different dimensions and they don't have to stay in that house or apartment.
Speaker 1: You've seen movies about.
Speaker 4: That, yes, yes, yeah, and they documentaries, so they have to be real.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's all real. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've always thought about that though. Why can't ghosts why they have to wear the same clothes and be in the same house. Can't they get naked and go outside and haunt another house?
Speaker 1: Guess not? The energy doesn't last. My thing is, and I know we've talked about this.
Speaker 3: I'm just so afraid of I'm going to get caught in a bad outfit forever.
Speaker 5: And I know that for a fact, because I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm always dressing for convenience instead of like, you know, beauty or effect. Right, And it's like, so I'm literally just gonna be wearing this.
Speaker 5: Yeah into Trinity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I died sledding and your mismatched boots, your your grandpa's old jacket.
Speaker 1: I wonder if I just pull up here, yeah, curb, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 4: I think we've done it.
Speaker 5: I hope.
Speaker 4: So I'm very excited for today's guests. This is true, well those guests that it's just exciting. But also we don't do you know.
Speaker 3: I know people who know him, but I've never met him. I don't know him, And so.
Speaker 4: There's a nervousness, but that good kind of nervousness.
Speaker 5: We just have to remember to be interesting in ourselves.
Speaker 3: No, no, yeah, we don't be ourselves, be more interesting, interesting and interested, right exactly?
Speaker 5: Okay, like what are you?
Speaker 4: What do you like? Right? I don't know. I feel like that's directed towards me.
Speaker 3: I need.
Speaker 4: I haven't been doing that. Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 3: No, I'm taking a joke about how you make conversation with people you don't know.
Speaker 1: Right where it's like, well you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fine, I'll ask him about their lives. Fine, describe where dreams I've had, the moment he gets in the car.
Speaker 1: No, please, no cats with broken legs talks.
Speaker 4: I just can't, absolutely not. I will not talk about animals in any way.
Speaker 5: We can't get through it, we won't make it.
Speaker 4: I will not talk about the coyote in my neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Why is it suffering something?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: He's just walking around and seems tired. Yeah, a lot of people. I posted a photo of them. People were inquiring about it. So it's it's it does make sense that I give an update. Still doing okay, looks a little better. It was just hot that week.
Speaker 5: Get it out, yep.
Speaker 1: Anything else you need to say.
Speaker 4: When I saw him go around the corner, he start tap dancing. I think it's just an act. He's a healthy showman.
Speaker 1: You just trying to get people to pity him and give him bowls of water.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: It's one of those coyotes that one hundred percent looks like a dog that like if you had the wrong prescription lenses, you would just put a leash on it and give it a dog bowl. Oh, I found this dog. I think someone did that, and I think it may have been Martha Kelly.
Speaker 1: Oh that's in the first episode of Baskets.
Speaker 4: Isn't that funny?
Speaker 5: Or one episode of Baskets?
Speaker 4: But it was I remember when I watched it. It was based in a Martha Kelly troop.
Speaker 1: Oh she really did it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that it was a story that I don't know. We have to have Martha back on to get to the bottom.
Speaker 5: We need it.
Speaker 1: We do need Martha back on.
Speaker 4: But we're just spinning our wheels. We have a guest today and they're gonna come out momentarily.
Speaker 1: We couldn't be more excited.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: And we did save for munchkins for him.
Speaker 5: Oh that's great.
Speaker 4: You know what, I'm gonna close the lids, so good idea. Maybe he just like, oh, you bought a four pack in a slightly larger box.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they ran out of four pack boxes. He's like, I'm from the East Coast. We know there's no four packs.
Speaker 5: He talks like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of like a French guy.
Speaker 1: Get ready, don't make fun of him for.
Speaker 5: His accents from the schools.
Speaker 4: I don't know that was it. We don't do accents. We don't do impressions, never have. We do some impersonations, and Karen does imitations, but we don't do voices or impressions. We are like a litigious rich little my dad. He does imitations. He doesn't do impressions. He does impersonations, not impressions. Like there was like a which makes sense now, rich Little, like.
Speaker 1: Please don't yell at me.
Speaker 5: First of all, rich Little, Karen pull over.
Speaker 4: Rich Little used to just do the voice and say something that person would say.
Speaker 1: Right, that's an impersonation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like he would just get on stage and go, well the economy, Nancy and I like there was no jokes, got but impressions. You are much like a printing on a parchment. Your you're you're leaving an you're changing it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's an interpretation of the personality.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it's like when people do Jack Nicholson, but it's Jack Nicholson doing a bunch of other shit.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly. Okay, what if Jack Nicholson.
Speaker 5: Was evil?
Speaker 4: Canebel right, Yeah, and then someone would do boy, that's comedy used to be so bad.
Speaker 1: It was different.
Speaker 4: It was different.
Speaker 3: I mean that kind of stuff was like vaudeville based, right, right. That took a while to wind itself out in popular culture.
Speaker 1: But it's fun.
Speaker 3: Like sorry, it's fun when someone can sound exactly like another person.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you're not expecting it.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of really good like Denzel impressions that every time they make me laugh really hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I you would be speaking of our pell. James o Domain was just on He a guest on Kimmel the other night.
Speaker 1: Oh was he?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because for his comedy special, yes, which.
Speaker 4: Is so Yeah. Obviously Kimmel loves him and he's been on there. It's the MyPillow guy and he rattled through so many organically and.
Speaker 5: Did he kill it?
Speaker 4: He killed it?
Speaker 1: Oh, I love hearing it.
Speaker 4: And Jimmy's comfortable around him, so he let him go and interjet like and tagged a few jokes like and made James laugh really hard like it was perfect.
Speaker 1: Oh great, Oh, I'm so glad to hear that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, it's it's uh.
Speaker 1: It's hard.
Speaker 3: Those kinds of things are hard because even though James Domain himself has done a million things like that live Live to tape, you know, high pressure, quote unquote, like he's built for it. But there's something about sitting in a chair and having to approximate a conversation that is like next tier difficulty for most people.
Speaker 4: Right unless you sit next to each other and podcast all the time. Like you and I would be a breeze in the wind so easy, it'd be a skip in the park.
Speaker 1: We'd breeze it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I'm a real wind bag. Do we let our guests know? I feel now that we're It's sometimes when you're in front of someone's house this long, you think the neighbors are going to be like, that's it, I'm calling someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you don't have to call someone because we're the FEDS.
Speaker 5: That would be my answer for you.
Speaker 4: And actually we're in a k car. We're both wearing solid black, we both have shades on. Yeah we are clearly you don't want us in your neighborhood. If we were driving right back right by right now, we would and interrogate us.
Speaker 5: Yes, we would be like are you creeps?
Speaker 1: And we don't stare at neighbors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are you weirdo? No, you're you have a uniform and you're part of a security Okay.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 4: We asked for his for directions from that guy. That was so funny and immediately realized he was legit. Never mind, we'll just use the giant laptop that is glued to the dashboard.
Speaker 1: Thanks security guard.
Speaker 4: That was fun. It's it's not enough time has passed with that to be mistaked.
Speaker 1: No, it needs he needs like three years.
Speaker 4: It gotta go only early two thousands to see this. What I'm talking about is what's happening?
Speaker 5: Do they need to leave?
Speaker 4: Are you pulling out? We're just waiting for the neighbor to get in the car.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh no, we can.
Speaker 1: Pull up though if somebody is coming to get you.
Speaker 5: That's yeah.
Speaker 4: That worked out perfectly.
Speaker 5: That's great. Oh that was a classic.
Speaker 4: What happened?
Speaker 5: I love the classic?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know from clubs and colleges across the country for your ears together for Matt Wall that was one of those classic. Like the time I thought a valet guy was coming to take my car at UCB, at at birds or whatever they have the valet guy and the guy just got in my car and sat there, and then I realized he thought I was the Uber drive. That's happened many times.
Speaker 1: I thought that neighbor was going to be like.
Speaker 5: Move it along. Yeah, yeah, I thought so too.
Speaker 1: We're just like shit, sorry, he.
Speaker 4: Had the confused look in his eye. I think that he was just he thought he had just called Nuber. Anyway, Hi Matt, Hi you guys, thank you, Hi joining us.
Speaker 5: I'm excited. I'm excited we are as well.
Speaker 4: That's what we were just saying before you got in the car.
Speaker 5: I love that's a nice car. Two. I was expecting like a, I don't know, it's just a junker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, way, not on this show.
Speaker 5: First class. I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well that was the first few seasons, the junker era.
Speaker 5: But now I won't besmirch my neighbors. But there was a time when I thought they were mobbed up. Oh oh, so you're trying the gentleman that you were talking to.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, yes, he shoots us both in the back of the head.
Speaker 5: Well no not, they're lovely. But it's also like I was a little worried, like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yes, he had a connected like like he he could handle himself. But then I saw his kind face.
Speaker 5: And they're very kind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no way, even though he looks like a soprano that lifts swedes.
Speaker 1: Yes, necklace is really big.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean like that's you're asking for it, if you're going to wear a necklace.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think. Yeah, he was not upset. But we're not profiling people by their body type or their jewelry.
Speaker 4: No, but those two things combined, of course we will what choice do we have, certainly not on their own body type of jewelry, but that combined with the his but his sense the fragrance he chose, Oh.
Speaker 5: Was there a lot of I didn't get a lot of fragrance. I just I came in the back door.
Speaker 4: It waffed it in and it's just a memory.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: You smell terrific, by the way.
Speaker 5: Yes, I appreciate it. I put a little cologne on so I was working out in the yard, so I didn't want to be like sweaty.
Speaker 1: How's it going, what's going down?
Speaker 5: What's going down? I was thinking we could get some chicken feed today, perfect in Burbank, But I don't know if it's still.
Speaker 4: Open, how many chickens and our.
Speaker 5: Seven chickens right now, and we get about two or three eggs a day. And I started during the pandemic and I built a janky coop on my own and my wife was like, you got to get rid of that. That looks like Sandford and sunlight there.
Speaker 4: So did you have someone come over that makes catos and chicken coops for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a place in Lompoc, California called Dare to Dream and you can order chickens and you can order chicken coops and they can you can even get like probably like perennial flowers and stuff. They're kind of a farm friendly agriculture business. And it's just past Santa Barbara up there. So I ordered it and they came in and they built They didn't really build it. They just set it up and level it off and put it hung the doors on it.
Speaker 4: So that's so cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is cool. It is nice.
Speaker 4: How often do they produce eggs?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I get like two or three a day, and then we used to have roosters, but the roosters too, No, because it's kind of busy corner. Nobody complains that. I've actually gotten letters from neighbors who say they love the roosters. Oh, they just slip it in the mailbox and say, like, I can't tell you how nice it is to have a bit of country in this busy city.
Speaker 3: What if that's your neighbors threatening you in a way that you don't realize.
Speaker 5: Oh it's a passive aggressive girl.
Speaker 1: I love those chickens.
Speaker 5: Wait do you It wasn't from those neighbors. It was from a different neighbor.
Speaker 4: Honey, we got another rooster love letter, just like.
Speaker 5: Two people and we can we know the family, So I think it's sincere. But the roosters one was killed by a hawk. Oh but he was defending the hens, so that was his glory day.
Speaker 1: Oh did you were you? Do you have kids? Yeah, we have three, and so that must have been hard.
Speaker 5: By the time they're grown up, the kids have sort of lost their attachment to them a little bit. But yeah, it was a little gory. Yeah, it was a little hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was my first thought, as it's like, because it's so hard to even have a cat that lives outdoors in Los Angeles. Yeah, but I feel like you're not in a coyote area.
Speaker 5: The coyotes. We've never had a coyote in the yard. It's a little too busy and uh. But what's it interesting about roosters is there's we had two roosters, so there's always an alpha, and we got him as chicks and they were called Blackie and Scrownie, and Scrownie was kind of the runt and Blackie was the alpha. So the alpha would sleep on the roost with like two female hens, and Scronnie would sleep underneath him and basically get pooped on, you know. Oh, it was the pecking order. But then I was gone for a while and my wife's like, Scrownie's the alpha. I don't know what happened, but now Scrownie's the alpha and its flipped.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: So they must have settled some scuffle in the yard some night. Yeah, and then Blackie was down below getting pooped on and Scronnie was up on the perch with the hens.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: Maybe it just switches back and forth periodically.
Speaker 5: It's weird, right, Yeah. I think like once in an animal documentary, if the two lions fight and he's the alpha, the other one just accepts it, right, like he's not always trying to win it back.
Speaker 3: Maybe if there's if the group is small enough, then the beta is like, I gotta at this back, I gotta switch this up.
Speaker 5: Well, what's funny is he tries to get one hen that's his girl, and he'll go off to the side, and then black He'll see it and he'll get jealous and he'll chase them off. So he's always kind of circling with his one girl that is sort of loyal to him. But if Blackie and then Blackie's got his girl, so he's usually not it's not a problem. But if he sees if it bugs him, will chase him away.
Speaker 4: Are they really girl? Is their intimacy do they have like this is my girlfriend right now?
Speaker 5: They do kind of have a favorite, you know.
Speaker 4: Boy, it's gotta get messy when that switches. It's like, well now he's the alpha and I'm seeing his girlfriend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that does get messy. And the hens any new if you introduce like a new adolescent chicken, like say you so sometimes they eat something and they'll die. They'll eat a piece of spring or plastic in the yard, whatever, and you get a new one. But we don't. We'll get adolescents. We don't get like the babies, and they get picked on. The new ones. The hens will be very like peck peck and make sure that they know that they're no big deal and stay away from my rooster kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: How is it as far as just having a pet? Are they like, Hey, I'm happy to see you, let's hang out. Is there any of that, like you know, like having a cat or a dog. Are they?
Speaker 5: Actually? They are curious and they do have personalities and some are more forward. But roosters always attack you, like if you're in the yard, they'll chase you away. Even if you raise them as a chick. There's no like memory of like, oh, he's the guy who took care of me when I was a baby, right, No gratitude, no gratitude. And then they're curious and they I think that I'm the parrot stimulus because I feed them. They always think it's feeding time when they see me, So as soon as I get out of the car, they'll all run and follow me. Yeah, And but the roosters will sneak up on you and peck you when you least expect it.
Speaker 4: Like if I just a stranger went into that coop, they would go straight from my face, right.
Speaker 5: They would run away. If the roosters were in there. They would go after your legs. They wouldn't. They don't get up high.
Speaker 4: I stayed at a I was doing a show in Denver and stayed at someone's house and they had a giant turkey in the backyard. And it was really intimidating and very related. Immediately I could tell to a dinosaur like talents, scaly talents and a way of like moving their head around that was very Jurassic to me.
Speaker 5: And they're weird looking, huh yeah, and mean, oh really yeah. I don't think I've been around turkeys.
Speaker 4: It was not a turkey. I would pardon, I would just let it happen.
Speaker 1: What aren't turkeys known to be kind of stupid.
Speaker 3: I think they're not as maybe not as threatening, only because they kind of can't get it together, right.
Speaker 4: The violence, this one felt towards me, who wasn't thinking it through.
Speaker 5: And do you think they're violent because of their insecurity about their intelligence? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, college, I know everyone thinks that this sort of applies to humans.
Speaker 5: Who are you looking at? What do you what's going on over there? You got a problem?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And to make up for it, this turkey had a jacked up black truck.
Speaker 5: So scary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think it was a turkey that knew what was going to be have a bad day on Thanksgiving. Not to get graphic, but I think.
Speaker 5: It was that you think they sense it.
Speaker 4: This was an actual guy raising turkeys for food, so he.
Speaker 1: Got a turkey.
Speaker 4: More than one turkey, there used to be more, And I didn't want to hear the story about that.
Speaker 1: Just Thanksgiving.
Speaker 4: The story of yeah, the story of Thanksgiving and the buckles on the shoes. It gets pouring now when.
Speaker 3: Eggs, when the prices of eggs went through the roof, did you feel a sense of like accomplishment and like you had beaten the system?
Speaker 5: Because it's like it's nice to like grow your own food, especially like it started during the pandemic when nobody knew what was happening, and like there were people rushing the store and it's like, I don't know how long this is going to be weird, And so it is nice to grow your own food. It is. And I don't know that we saved a ton of money, But.
Speaker 4: Are we getting pulled over.
Speaker 5: By me? Wait?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's there.
Speaker 5: It's keep going. I'll tell you where it is. You got a wrong.
Speaker 3: Address Okay, I wondered, I'm like this blue house.
Speaker 5: Okay, No, it's a business. It's by the stables. Oh yeah, thats a Questionna, that makes sense. But they may be closed, but we'll see it.
Speaker 1: People selling chicken feed out of their bedroom window.
Speaker 5: So you guys travel right for comedy.
Speaker 4: Yes, there are times when that's all I do, and now it's more periodic.
Speaker 5: But I was just in like Pennsylvania, in upstate New York, and I feel like houses are businesses more than they are in La in California, you know what I mean. Like that house would be like the tax guy and he would have a shingle, and that one would be like a shoe repair guy and he would have a thing right in front of the house. But it's like totally suburban area.
Speaker 4: Yep, Yeah, I missed that. I used to live in Austin, Texas, and one there was no building codes. If you want to make your house four stories tall, it seems like you could just do it, really yeah, And so many houses were bars or corner stores real yeah, and little modification, just like, yep, we have a yellow curb and a sign, but it just looks like someone's house. And I thought that was so cool.
Speaker 5: That is cool.
Speaker 3: It is because then you can get a kit kat whenever you need it, wherever you need it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I I it's so weird when you find out after a couple of blocks you've been in a.
Speaker 1: Race, well, we beat you.
Speaker 5: A guy on the bike with it is funny during rush hour when the same bike keeps passing you, it's like, oh, you are winning.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, you are right in this argument, you are winning this race. I like the and this is I've seen it in Wisconsin, but I hear like it's also on the East coast. But the houses that are bars, so you're literally walking in and it's someone's living room, but it's a bar.
Speaker 5: I do too. I like that they have that around, like lambeau Field, when you go see a Packer game and you are literally in someone's like there's family pictures up. It's just like their living room, but it's a bar. Kind of great, it is. I find that interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that everyone in that neighborhood is part owner of the team, right, isn't that?
Speaker 5: Yes, the Packers are owned by like the municipality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how Dell Computers used.
Speaker 5: To be, Is that right? Like the town owned it.
Speaker 4: Well. I remember when I keep bringing up Boston, I'm leading up to my big talk about the Big Stinking Improv Festival, and if we ever went to Clapp means you did. But yeah, it like early on I think you could. It was a publicly traded much like Test, I believe. But there are people that never worked for Dell. They just were an early investor in it or a stockholder. I know very little about finance. And now there are just kids Outwharred Dell used to be where the comedy club Cap City now is, and it's young people in Lamborghini's and it's like a lot of people got rich off of Dell in a way that again I don't understand and feel I shouldn't have brought up. But I was in an improv group in Montana and we went the Big Stinking Improv School. There was only there a couple of years, and I don't recall if you and the Upright Citizens.
Speaker 5: Brigade they do the Big Stinking Improv.
Speaker 4: I just remember the learning about that all good improvisers are basically from Chicago or you know, a lot like there was we did the annoyance that Joe Bill guy was there and we learned about horse sighting.
Speaker 5: Yes, right past the horse Reynolds, you'll pull in to the parking lot. I like that.
Speaker 4: Instead of a sign, they just have horses in the area.
Speaker 5: This parking lot here care. I don't know if they're open, like so, I'll just see this. It's the best. But they might close. I don't know. You guys keep talking.
Speaker 4: No, we have little breaks all the time.
Speaker 5: You do. This could be really quick.
Speaker 4: We have treats for you too. We only ate a few of them. They're munchkins. They're very similar to a doughnut hole. Just a single peanut. It comes back with the peanut.
Speaker 3: Could you get me three more peanuts?
Speaker 5: Oh? No, they close it five. Oh they were ship that's okay.
Speaker 7: Other errand okay, I have to go to lens crafers You guys about super boring, brilliant offer.
Speaker 4: Can I not.
Speaker 5: Exploit you guys. I mean, that's the guy who would have loaded my chicken, and I always tip them a dollar. You guys talk about tipping on one episode. That's why I was like, whenever somebody loads something, I do give them cash. Oh of course I've never driven through here.
Speaker 4: I think because it never hit it.
Speaker 5: I always back out.
Speaker 1: I'm not afraid to go down a dirt road if you need to.
Speaker 5: They where you're from.
Speaker 3: From Petaluma up in northern California, Okay, and we actually it's pretty pretty small when on writers from there.
Speaker 1: But we did four.
Speaker 3: H growing up, and so, oh wow, we did chickens because they were like easier. My aunt had a farm. We did sheep, and she kept the sheep on her farm. But then we did chickens and my dad just built a coop and we had like four chickens and of course named them and got really involved with them, and then yeah, something killed one night. Yeah, it's they all died very terribly one night where it was like, oh, no more of that, like no more getting attached to farm animals.
Speaker 5: Yeah, every critter, including humans, loves to eat Chickensn't you get chickens? The word is out. Yeah, coyotes, hawks, possums, hobos, everybody is on the lookout to slaughter those things. They're so delicious, they really are, and the poor animals, like it always happens, it always ends in tragedy. Egg chickens they could survive. Was that the bike different? Different one?
Speaker 4: The other guy has changed outfits and is lying on his couch waiting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and should we go to lens crafters? Absolutely, yeah, all right, let's go laugh.
Speaker 4: I think, what are you getting a new lens?
Speaker 5: Tell me if I'm being an annoying guest, by the way, by having you do errands? No, no, no, not at all.
Speaker 4: No. It used to be we used to go to the airport and swear and sweat the whole time because we thought our guests would miss a flight. Like anything is less stressful than that.
Speaker 5: Oh my god. I would never do that here. I never even asked people to pick me up at the airport. Yeah, it's so stressful.
Speaker 4: No one should ask.
Speaker 5: Let's go left here, and I think I can give us. Yeah, chickens are like the delicious thing that everybody wants to kill. Yeah, but that's cool. You were in the four h that's real farm.
Speaker 1: It was pretty farmy.
Speaker 3: I mean we were like the furthest out from it. My dad used to joke that we were like gentlemen farmers. But it was actually kind of a fun. I like that people are getting into it now because it does make sense. It's like people during COVID, Like I'm going to learn to make bread, and I'm going to learn to do all these things, like, right, we should all know how to do stuff like this, yeah, or like raise animals or whatever.
Speaker 4: And then also doing it yourself and not being part of all those industries, which, if you look into them, are all bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And it's kind of like greener because you're reusing like your table scraps to feed the chickens. And then my friends give me their used egg cartons and then I give them eggs, you know, And it's kind of like a little there's less trucking involved in the whole process, do you know what I mean. Yeah, it's a smaller, tinier improvement I guess on your footprint.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's funny how any interest in it will lead towards some level of environmentalism.
Speaker 5: I think so, I think it is a little bit. I mean, I still I'm disgusted with how much consumerism rules our lives. But yes, it's so crazy, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like in the nineties when I was in college and there would be people who would talk about capitalism and fuck capitalism, I'd be like, what are you talking?
Speaker 1: That's just how everything works.
Speaker 3: And now the idea that that's kind of becoming the way the thing people are talking about of like this, this is crushing all of us.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, I get it now, this makes sense.
Speaker 3: We don't all need one thousand choices of a plastic thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not just the thing the kid with the mohawk writes on his notebook.
Speaker 5: There's actually a lot of it's.
Speaker 4: Real, a lot of meaning.
Speaker 5: The Anarchy kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the Anarchy kid.
Speaker 4: It's so funny. It's just a cool logo. I was writing Anarchy Dead Kennedy's a band. I had not listened to just intographic design more than anything.
Speaker 5: I studied abroad in Austria my junior year of college, and when I moved back, I went to college in northern Illinois. We rented a house with some friends and there were those anarchy people had written anarchy everywhere and it's the same slogan as like a Austria sticker on a car. So I thought people were really into Austria all that the people who lived there before us were really into Austria. That's so random, Like I was just in Austria. It looks just like that sticker that people in Austria put on the back of their bumper, the Austria, the A with the circle around it, and I'm like, wow, I wonder if I knew them?
Speaker 4: So funny.
Speaker 5: Isn't that funny? That is hilarious. This must be the transfer student.
Speaker 3: House also, because Austria is it kind of an obscure of all the countries that I've ever heard of. People like going to was it? Did it have to do with your major?
Speaker 5: Or were you? Like?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: A girl on my dorm floor freshman year came back and she was a friend and she's like, you have to go to Austria for it because our school had an exchange program. Like why, She's like, because we traveled everywhere. It's in the middle of Europe and every weekend we went to Italy and Hungary and Poland and Norway and we were back for school on Funday's old and so I'm like, maybe I will. And she planted the seed and then I junior year, I didn't know what I was doing. I was kind of lost. I'm like can I I asked my parents. They said, you can go for a year, and it was affordable, and they ended up going for a whole year.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, and what was it like, I mean, can you give.
Speaker 5: Us a little?
Speaker 4: Was it like Lilly Walka?
Speaker 5: It was very good chocolate, very good beer. It was American student living basically in the stables for from the Sound of Music in Salzburg, Austria. It was gorgeous, but it was the castle stables and our school was the stables. It was a bunch of kids from Rochester Institute of Design that were photography students, and then a bunch of kids from Miami, of Ohio and Northern Illinois. Different schools had American programs over there, and all the everyone lived with the Austrian family. Oh. Yeah, it was pretty interesting and it was wonderful and I had to learn to speak German.
Speaker 4: And yeah, and you were there a whole year.
Speaker 5: I was there a whole year. In the month between semesters, my roommate was from there was a bunch of kids from Tokyo, Japan that were part of the program. Weirdly, and my roommate was from Tokyo. So the month between the fall and winter we lived. We basically lived in Turkey. We knocked around Turkey because it was so cheap and I'd never been to Turkey, and that was like mind bogglingly interesting.
Speaker 3: I want to go to Turkey really bad because they have all those really old mosaics. Did you go to the Mosaic Museum where it's basically like they're from three thousand years ago.
Speaker 5: Uh, there's a town called Ephesis that they brought back all these mosaics. But I don't know if it's the where the museum is. You can go left here. I think this might service, but I don't know. But yeah, it's what's amazing about Turkey is there's so much ancient history there and it's not like Greece, Like everybody thinks Greece had everything, but they had tons of stuff happening in that area too. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anywhere you go you realize how much older everywhere is than America.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like Italy. You're in a seven eleven and then there's a column in the parking lot that's two thousand BC and it's got a plaque on It's like what. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, when I was in England, i went through a graveyard because you know, it's kind of cool that see that people died in sixteen eighty or whatever. And I saw a tombstone from the seventeen hundreds and it was the guy's name, and it wrote he had the quote, help, there's beetles and worms down here.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: And to me, that that a guy hundreds of years ago wanted that joke on his tombstone made me so happy, Like a joke tombstone and this guy was like, yeah, he died of old age at forty and wanted it was just so great to me.
Speaker 5: That's pretty fun.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 5: There was one I think it was another English one. Oh yeah, there's the Lenscraft there it is, I think on his tombstone said born a man, died a baker. Oh that's great funny.
Speaker 4: Oh that's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is kind of fun to like. I don't know that I would. I mean, I guess I haven't planned on doing it. Having a comic that's half on your tombstone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's figure him out.
Speaker 5: That would be like ballsy.
Speaker 4: I think that. That's what I'm impressed with the most people that aren't horrified to die, That's that's that's what I'm impressed.
Speaker 5: Well, kind of doesn't matter either, obviously you're gone right right. Your family might be like, oh no, we don't want that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's when you say, don't be selfish. This is my tombstone.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, that's what I'll put on my tombstone.
Speaker 5: There it is.
Speaker 4: Shut up, mom, I mean here combing my hair. Stop knocking.
Speaker 5: Now. Have you guys ever been to a Lens Crafters? Does that interest you?
Speaker 4: I mean, I've I'm a Warby Parker guy.
Speaker 5: I normally am too, but I was in a rush and I lost my glasses when I was out of state, and I'm like, I just called them and said, can you just print me up another pair of one?
Speaker 4: That's what I did. I got these exact lenses, went to the improv. They were two days old. I set them down somewhere, someone grabbed them assuming, hey, these are my Warby Parkers in a case and they never were found again. I've went and bought the exact same ones. Yeah, here's five hundred dollars again away exactly.
Speaker 1: Which Also, there's it's all it's all marked up. Well you'll see when you.
Speaker 5: Go in there. You'll see when you go what do you mean, what do you what am I going to see? Well?
Speaker 3: It just they cost thirty five dollars to make about your we all pay eight hundred dollars to get glasses and it's just a scam.
Speaker 5: I know it is a scam. I prepaid. I think it's gonna I think it came in around five hundred. Everything.
Speaker 4: We're just getting you excited by letting you know it's a ripoff. But they're needed, they're needed.
Speaker 5: I know, all right, we'll be back with Matt Walsh.
Speaker 4: I've never done that.
Speaker 1: I know that's cool.
Speaker 4: It's just something different, yes, but.
Speaker 5: Also, what's fucking Mott Walsh? Like?
Speaker 1: Do what you want?
Speaker 4: Little breaks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're the coolest.
Speaker 4: You have to bring up a time when you guys were hung out, so we.
Speaker 1: Didn't, though I can't. I went out.
Speaker 3: I dated a guy that was kind of like friends with him, but more of like just worshiped him, and so I met him once through that guy. But this was literally the year two thousand, so I was completely just assuming, especially with the career he's had, right, I was just like, it's nice to meet you, and I fucking do that every time where you don't have to say those words and you can slip out of any social awkwardness, and I just do it every time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I started saying, because it's usable if you have met someone or not. I just always say it's good to see you. Yeah, I don't say again, you know it's good to see you. No, I did mean for the first time.
Speaker 1: And you can't prove I didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I used to actually get my glasses at this Lenscrafter's because I worked close by and lived to look like And it was so frustrating because I'd always be like, yeah, I just don't want these rectangular you know, like it was like early two thousands and everything was like rectangular, back rectangular glasses.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, could I get a different kind? And it was just like there was no other options.
Speaker 4: Those are back now they shan't be I. I really don't like them, and I see them sometimes. Or round ones. Oh man. My sister got me some readers that were just wears walldow round.
Speaker 5: And what like.
Speaker 4: I thought you they're quirky.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, Chris, look at me right now.
Speaker 5: Those are different.
Speaker 4: Those look like they flip up, you know what I'm talking about. These were turtle shell Sally Jesse, Raphael, small little guys, but those are round and cool. Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just a personality.
Speaker 5: Did you get I'm wearing them.
Speaker 1: Those are are those?
Speaker 5: There are great?
Speaker 4: You can't go wrong with that classic aviator.
Speaker 5: And then they asked me, tell me what I know, what were you guys talking about. I don't want to be rude.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to listen to the episode.
Speaker 5: Talking let him in. Doesn't he look old?
Speaker 4: That's that limp and it's.
Speaker 3: And then you have a totally different experience and you're like, that was really I love that.
Speaker 4: It felt like on a Saturday with old friends. Did you want to bring up the other that guy?
Speaker 3: Oh, just just to say, have you ever had problems with people mistaking you for the right wing pundit Matt Walsh.
Speaker 5: Not in person but on the internets. Yeah, not lately, but yeah, because he's very He's like a conservative provocateur who says awful things to get the left all wound up. And then people come at me. Oh no, I'm like, I'm not him. I don't.
Speaker 4: I didn't write a book, you know, so people do come at you.
Speaker 5: Not lately, like I think it's kind of known. But when he's like spiking or trending after some awful thing he said, someone out of the woodwork will come out of nowhere and find maybe follow me for the first day or something, you know what I mean, And you're an asshole, And I'm like, or I don't respond.
Speaker 1: Right, But did you take money from Russia?
Speaker 5: Though too, I've never taken money from Russia. I didn't make a movie about what is a woman? I don't poke the left and say things I don't necessarily believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what was almost worth? When I first moved to Los Angeles, there was a I'm Chris Fairbanks and this guy's Christopher Fairbanks and he was he had been on Comedy Control and he had done some stand up, but he is mostly an actor, and he had been on that TV show Hunter. But but we didn't look he was tall. He looked like Martin Mule from Night Court or you know, that kind of a figure.
Speaker 5: And that's where the good Donut place is right over there. Oh yeah, that's that's that's a good one.
Speaker 4: That's like one from the Donut Kids documentary.
Speaker 5: But did it? But did it limit you or were you confused?
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't understand. First of all, I don't know what IMDb is. I'm not worried about credit. I don't even know what you're talking. He was concerned more than I was, and was coming to shows that I was doing really and like, hey, we gotta take care of this.
Speaker 5: Uh, take care of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. He was worried that I was going to go by Christopher because that was He's like, do you just go by Chris or Christopher? I said, I'll just go by Chris, and you go by Christopher and keep being a foot taller than me, and and yeah and then and I still talk to him every now and then. He's actually a nice guy. But what made it weird was we both had comedy credits.
Speaker 5: Was his sag name the same as yours?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he went by Christopher. I've always kind of wanted to go by Christopher. I thought it sounded more professional, but it makes people think of that Columbus prick.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true.
Speaker 4: So I just stayed Chris and he's Christopher, and that was the end of it.
Speaker 3: I would be scared if someone showed up at a show to discuss the business they believed that we had. Yeah, that would be I would be like, I can't, I can't talk multiple times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes really, But then he was really nice about it. I just I was like, oh he was free again tonight also, but yeah, it it, I'm not I'm not talking bad.
Speaker 5: About no, no, no, no, that's clearly probably everyone. He's scrolling through a name checking all of that episode.
Speaker 4: He finally mentioned me.
Speaker 5: Well, he was being I think he was being an adult about it. But that would be nervous and intimidated. If somebody started coming by my shows and going, hey man, we got to talk about the name thing. Yeah, I'd be like, uh, whatever you want. Yeah I was.
Speaker 4: I was still in my twenties, and yes, he very much was an adult, and that's why it was intimidated. I probably didn't know how to talk back then. I've only learned in recent years how to communicate with other adult men.
Speaker 1: You've gotten.
Speaker 5: Wait practice, Are there any Karen Kilgarriffs.
Speaker 3: Yes, my cousin John actually married a woman named Karen, So there's there's a Karen kill Gariff that I get to talk to like a couple times a year, who uh from when my podcast got popular, reports to me all the shit that happens to her because of that. So there's like an actual and she lives in Sacramento, which is where I tried to go to college but didn't do a very good job at it, so that's kind of funny.
Speaker 4: Just out of interest, and who else has my name? There was like a professional bodybuilder that had won some national competitions and a fireman that did a lot of heroic things during nine to eleven. Oh and so I.
Speaker 1: Was sorry, two different people.
Speaker 4: These are all Chris Fairbanks's but different guys.
Speaker 5: Bodybuilder is not the fire different guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but it's just Google imaging usually looking for myself. And then all of a sudden there's a ripped guy and a patriotic hero, and then and then five more and then me. But I was I had the meeting where they're like, so what do you I didn't know it was a pitch meeting because I was young and dumb and full of you know, I'm sorry all the time, so things like yeah, exactly exactly, I should have just said it anyway, I act I pitched, Oh what about I don't know, a reality show where I lived with this other comedian Chris Fairbanks and a fireman named Chris Fairbanks and a bodybuilder named Chris Fairbanks and we have to live in a house. And it was during reality house shows being what everyone wanted and they were like, we like that. I'm like, oh no, and I I just didn't pick up the phone for a while. That problem solved it.
Speaker 5: I solved it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: You sold a show in the room and you're like, Nope, this isn't gonna work.
Speaker 4: It got a slight green thumb.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah it should. You scared yourself.
Speaker 4: I did. How long were the Upright Citizens Brigade a group before it was a TV show or did it happen around the same time.
Speaker 5: We were a group in the early nineties in Chicago and we got a TV show in ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Okay, it was a great TV show.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 5: I really loved watching it.
Speaker 4: Was it on MTV or Comedy Central?
Speaker 5: Comedy Central?
Speaker 4: I'm sorry I brought up MTV. There's that goddamn group the state.
Speaker 5: We were kids. Yeah you guys, Oh yeah, Well they had a show when we landed in New York, and I think it was just ending when we got to New York.
Speaker 4: How mad do you want to But I'm.
Speaker 5: Friends with like David Wayne and all those guys. Tom Lennon like it doesn't Yeah.
Speaker 4: I noticed you didn't say Michael Lean Black.
Speaker 5: Mich Lean Black. I've done shows with Michael and Black. Yeah, he's funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I visited his house in Savannah, Georgia.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I know, hole, I dug a hole.
Speaker 5: No I know. Yeah, yeah, we get along swimmingly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really like the nineties competition though, was its own era. And then also I think it made people like try really hard.
Speaker 5: It's like you.
Speaker 3: Guys wanted to, you know, as good, if not beat the state, that's always good.
Speaker 5: Were you part of mister show? I was part of mister performing, just performing, just performing? Yeah really yeah, that was like a standard that was I would see shows when you guys were taping I think before we had a show.
Speaker 1: Oh really.
Speaker 5: I would come to LA for whatever pilot season, and I knew people like you know, Jerry Minor that were circling Yeah, yeah, Hoffman and so I knew them from Chicago, and so I would go see tape things and I loosely got to know Bob. Do you leave it a little bit?
Speaker 3: Maybe such a cool like happenstance for me where like obviously didn't know those guys, moved to LA and just we all started doing shows at the same place, and so it was kind of like a little group formed just purely around more of the people, like people that everybody liked to drink together. And then it was like, but we also are doing the show, and then we all think the other people are funny. It was like, what a great, I don't know, what a lucky thing to be able to kind of fall into that those relationships.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, I agree, and I think that's the easier part of being a sketch performer versus a stand up Oh yeah, there's that community and a bit of camaraderie and you do things together, you collaborate together, but you also drink too much together.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I did love the drinking part.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I moved to Austin fully intending on doing improv and then just started doing stand up. And it was so hard to do both that I just because I wasn't presented with a group that like, oh, these are all my friends and I could see myself hanging out with them. If you don't have that going into it, maybe it's harder to think about. Yeah, but scan ups just by yourself and I could be lazy and not show up. It's only me that I'm disappointed.
Speaker 5: Stand up's harder, though, I think it's a much harder art form.
Speaker 3: Well it's but I took a I don't know, I took an improv class, probably like around two thousand and two or something. I was so scared. It was from Chris Barnes.
Speaker 5: I know who he is. Yeah, he's a Chicago guy.
Speaker 3: Loved him, Yes, such a good teacher. And I went with my friend who was actually signed up for the class, and she made me go and I was like, final, I'll just go and then we're going out after it. And I was like final'll just sit in the back and I'll say I'm auditing. And of course Chris Barnes was like, no, no, no, get up here. You're doing it with us, and I was like oh. And it was that kind of thing where it's like I'm such a control freak and I don't the way I'm used to being funny is like all my idea and I don't no one else is involved. And that idea of like no, no, you have to first of all not be funny and just figure out a reality and then be there and then figure something out together.
Speaker 1: Everything about that was so scary to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was crazy. Yeah that is scary, but you're not having to deliver a laugh. Yeah, and the beauty of so yeah, that is scary. I understand that. But I feel like stand up because I did stand up in Chicago for probably a year and a half in like say early nineties, late eighties, and it was like kind of like anyone who had fifteen minutes was like going up to Milwaukee and doing a half hour, you know what I mean. It was the boom and so they were just grabbing you and making you perform more than you had material for. Yeah, and that was a roller coaster of up and down, just like good nights, bad nights. But you're like alone in a hotel in Milwaukee, and like the whole audience hated you, and then you're like, am I worthy of hate? Maybe they are right, Maybe this self loathing that I'm feeling is justified.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's still the hardest part is the hotel room by yourself afterwards.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why you gotta love law and order because law and order will be there and if you if you meet law and order halfway, you'll be fine.
Speaker 5: It'll like help you forget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really it did for me.
Speaker 4: That soothing ping pong and you.
Speaker 5: Were able to you were able to say I am funny those people.
Speaker 1: God damn it.
Speaker 5: That's great because I don't think I found that that show or that I don't know that practice. Yeah, I didn't have that practice. It was like hard to shake, but it was really cool.
Speaker 3: Like the lesson I learned an improv, which is kind of like, how about you relax and let something fun happen as opposed to actually believing that you're going to control this into hilarity.
Speaker 5: Like that was it.
Speaker 3: It was a great experience and kind of like after a while, I was like, oh, this makes so much more sense, and the skill set is such a larger skill set than just listen to me.
Speaker 5: Right, there's all the things I made up.
Speaker 4: I would I would panic and go for a laugh, and I could hear the rest of the group kind of disappointingly sigh because I and I'm like, oh, I'm maybe bad at this, and all I want is to get laughs and it's at the expense of what everyone else was trying to build in that moment, and I'm like, well, maybe I'm not good at this.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think my early improve mistakes were like, oh, I know how to be funny. You just talk all the time. Yeah, and I shudder to think how terrible I must have been in my earliest, earliest shows. Yeah, me trying to feel silence.
Speaker 4: It's like, no, totally, if I stop talking, I'll hear that they're not laughing. If I just rattle through it, yeah, I still do that. But it's so even. It seems like with stand up. The first guys I opened for, like Bob Zaney, wasn't he let's here's Chicago guy. Oh, uncle, Larry Reap, Like there was all these.
Speaker 5: Guys that they were around when I was doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would travel and surprise, You're in a condo with this guy that's been doing it for twenty five years already, and they seem to not enjoy it. And I'm just getting excited about it. But it seems like everyonemost everyone I opened for John Bizarre, everyone was from Chicago, all of the stand ups. You are from such a because you grew up near Chicago, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I I was born in the South Side and lived in Chicago, so I was like eleven or twelve, and then we moved to the suburbs. So yeah, I spent like most of my life in the Chicago area.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so cool and and yeah I got lucky growing up in Montana. Of course, it's not even an option. It's I had to like act a fly fall into it.
Speaker 5: But did you go to first La or first to Austin? I?
Speaker 4: Uh, first to Austin. Yeah, and and stayed there a few years. And I just followed a girlfriend that had like her life planned and was like, I'm going to teach at U T and then and I was like can I come? And then she was like you should do stand up? Like thank god she was there to make me start doing it because I probably would have just drank and skateboarded. Yeah, so it's but yeah, all the we studied Chicago. The fact that you studied with that del like you knew Dell close when he's alive and worked with him, right.
Speaker 5: I did. I took classes with That's great.
Speaker 4: Clothes so great because we've read the book. I remember my first start. We like got that truth and Comedy book and like, okay, we have to read this and learn and went to Austin for the big stinking and I guess maybe we meant the naked babies guys. Yes, and that's they went there. Yeah, yeah, and we were like, well, let's we were somehow in like a long form thing with that. All we had ever done was short games like freeze tag and stuff. I didn't even know about this world of long form and haralds and sketches. And I saw how good they were, and I was like, eh, I think that's what talked me into doing.
Speaker 5: I don't want to have that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Rob Cordrey and all those guys.
Speaker 5: Well it's funny, I know, Rob and Husky and Seth and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're still the sweetest guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think cord told me when they did that festival for the first time, they were so new they thought like, wow, how do we handle it when all these managers and agents come to us after our show at the big change, Like they thought it was all going to change, because that I think was one of their first breaks. So funny, but we all have that like, wow, it's gonna all change after like you know, my show's on Comedy Central for four episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought that too, and I thought that they had been doing it forever. Yeah, they were so good at it and I learned a lot from them, And then when I moved here, they were working at your the the UCB at Franklin, like or at least Seth was there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was an artistic director there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. How much were you a part of opening those those theaters?
Speaker 5: Well, the one in La, I mean I opened them all. The one in La didn't open until like me and Ian got out here, but I think Best was here for a couple of years sure, and then the Franklin space opened when like Ian and I were out here, So it was kind of like, once we were all in one city, we were like, we should probably open one here. So yeah, idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I mean just because there was enough stand up going on at least once or twice a week that I felt like that was kind of my oddly my home stand up club, and I wasn't doing any of the the learning that the school taught.
Speaker 5: It was just like the comedy Bang Bang and stuff you were. Yeah. Yeah that was at Death Ray Comedy death Rays. Yeah, yeah, that was a big show.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was which used to be an m bar right.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's where the other Christopher Fairbanks first approached me.
Speaker 5: Oh, is there a plaque like where you guys had your sit down and brokeer the piece. I have.
Speaker 4: Just perfectly symmetrical handshake and had that bronze Yeah, yeah that was Are you serious?
Speaker 5: This is a sticky one. Yeah, this is not a could we do this?
Speaker 4: It's funny that we just were talking about how terrifying is.
Speaker 5: Hang to you? Yeah? Do that? Yeah you did it. Tricky one. It's not a great one.
Speaker 1: I knew. I thought they stayed back a little far on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's hard to guess what people are up to on that.
Speaker 3: So living so close to that, do you experience that or do you kind of have it down here?
Speaker 5: I kind of know how to play it. Yeah, but I wasn't thinking I was having a conversation. I should have been a better no, no, no assistant. Look at this little theater. Isn't that cool? I didn't know that was there. The brick house, brick house theater shot out to the brick house guys. Yeah theater are still alive.
Speaker 4: Still, Yeah, we're brand new with the vintage looking sign.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was going to ask you guys. When I got my glasses, they asked me for the warranty. Do you guys ever get warranties when you buy like a stereo or a TV? Or a pair of glasses that.
Speaker 4: The word warranty just means my dad, Like it's something my dad would do, and of course I should, but no, no, I.
Speaker 5: Never do ever. Because I asked her, I'm like, well, so does it cover him if I lose them? And she's like, no, just if something like is broken, but only up.
Speaker 1: To a certain point.
Speaker 3: Probably Yeah, and it's two hundred and fifty bucks or something.
Speaker 5: I didn't ask. I didn't go down that road.
Speaker 4: One thing we all three of us should do when we purchase our next pocket computer iPhone, it's for eleven bucks a month. You get the lost or stolen insurance.
Speaker 5: I think we have that on our plan, our family plan. I think that is worth it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I can't imagine getting a new phone, losing it and then continuing to pay for it. That's what would I mean?
Speaker 6: That's yeah, yeah, that would be a nasty Luckily, because an iPhone is like if you had no discount and you wanted to get the what are they on sixteen?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Is that like twelve hundred dollars? I don't even know, like without a trading value, right.
Speaker 4: Because I wanted to keep my old one as my Hey, let me try and become a TikTok comedian filming phone, and.
Speaker 5: This will motivate me.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to have the twelve hundred dollars one on a tripod in the back of a dark room, you know what I mean. Let me the one that has an amazing camera. I'll keep that in my pants. And the old one, oh, I'll just get a new one. Yeah. It's we should all get warranties, is the point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my new filmmaker identity requires me to get the most expensive and get me a tripod.
Speaker 3: My thing is that for warranties, do I know where that paperwork is when the thing happens, because I can't keep track of anything. Yeah, And oftentimes it feels like anytime you're like, oh wait, maybe the warranty could help me out here, it's like that expired three weeks ago. Yeah, yes, so there's a there is a timing issue. It's like you're paying, but but you're only being covered for a little bit.
Speaker 5: It feels like, yeah, and if it's a good like if it's Sony or like a ken More dishwasher, they have a good warranty from the company, hopefully right they have. That's the hope is that. Yeah, you're you're still covered for most of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's on their computer somewhere.
Speaker 1: Should I go around? Should I?
Speaker 5: You can go around and we'll figure out. Like I think I'm getting kicked out. I think the show's dropping in ratings. You're sensing are people logging off? We're looking off.
Speaker 1: It's so weird.
Speaker 3: If we asked to know, and then it's like, yeah, unfortunately, this is not testing.
Speaker 4: Well, no, it's not that we just got word you got the wrong prescription.
Speaker 5: Oh I do have to pick up a prescription.
Speaker 4: We got quot it's no need for four zones of vision and one lens. We gotta go back. I know that you have I believe twenty brothers and sisters six. But I one night did a show in at an Italian restaurant. I don't know any more than that. But I was hanging out with this group of guys and we got very drunk, and I had so much fun and we were riffing and at the end one of them was your brother, probably my brother Pat It maybe was he lives in the valley.
Speaker 5: He lives in La Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe it was Fatello. Yeah, that was one of his old hangs.
Speaker 4: That's so fun because I was, I had a great time with your brother one night, and I knew i'd probably never see him again. Yeah, and uh and at the last minute he mentioned you're his brother, and I'm like, that guy's the best.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he is funny, he is a good guy. Yeah, he's like the only family I have here in Labody else is in.
Speaker 4: I thought maybe you would know who I was talking about, because all your siblings probably didn't move to Los Angeles. But no, how many brothers and sisters.
Speaker 5: Get three sisters and three brothers.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: That's a nice Irish family.
Speaker 5: It's a nice Irish Catholic family, servative Irish Catholic family. It is very much so. Yeah, it's not as big as they get.
Speaker 9: Yeah, any bigger and boy, although when I was I was in Pennsylvania and there was a guy and his wife and they had ten foster children.
Speaker 5: I visited their farm. They're kind of an Amish country and they're like a nice Christian couple and doing this lovely thing of like taking problematic children into their home and adopting them slowly. And I'm like, that's a crazy big family, especially you can pull into the driveway if you want, just nudge in for safety, per Yeah, I just put your nose right up to the gate, push it a little well, just so like you don't feel like you're gonna get hit or honked at.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's a big family, ten foster children of all different backgrounds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah that is. Yeah, maybe one day I'll do that.
Speaker 5: You're don't advise it'd be a great father.
Speaker 4: To someone clearly in need.
Speaker 1: Ten immediately.
Speaker 3: Now, do you have anything to plug or should we be watching anything or thinking about anything that you are working on.
Speaker 5: I'm really liking Murders in the Building. Oh yeah, I'm not on it. That's the show. I'm really into that. I wait for every week. Okay, there's a movie I did with Nick Jonas called The Good Half, which I think drops on Hulu next month. Cool Elizabeth sho and Britney Snow really good cast, really nice movie. And then Jonas is good.
Speaker 4: He was in the M M A. The Kingdom.
Speaker 5: He's a good I mean he was great obviously, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Because yeah I was. That's amazing. Yeah, that'll be great. I will watch it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I do a podcast like you guys where we watch except ours rewatch episodes of Deep Oh that's great. Second in Command.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that existed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well a lot of people don't know exists.
Speaker 1: Well we have to tell them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love Second in Command and it's me and Tim Simons and we have a lot sorts of people from the show.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a good excuse to talk to people from the show and then have random guests on as well.
Speaker 1: Us must have like a rabbit fan base. I mean that show was big for a while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people are hardcore fans of that show, and people strangely still watch it and they watch it to go to sleep too, which is weird. They find it come being to watch that of all shows, which I find surprising.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's something about I find that comforting too. Sometimes, Like come home from a long, stressful day at work and you're like, now I want to watch someone else be stressed out at work.
Speaker 1: That makes me feel better.
Speaker 5: Really, Yeah, maybe that's what it is. Like. So what do you, if I may ask, what do you watch to wind down at the end of the night. Is there like a law and order like you mentioned when you're in stand up World?
Speaker 3: I can't I can't look at Law and Order anymore because of all that. Okay, trauma and dammit it. Okay, no, right now, I'm My show is King of the Hill, and I'm actually in the Yeah, I've just been plowing through because there's thirteen seasons.
Speaker 5: It's so good.
Speaker 3: It's written so perfectly, and it's about things and it's like moving and I had no idea. I always was like, oh, this is just a bunch of like texting guide jokes.
Speaker 4: Before it was syndicated anywhere in Austin, it just played around the clock. There's like a King of the Hill channel, So really, I'm like, oh, apparently I didn't realize other states were also watching it, because it seems.
Speaker 3: Because it's also on Hulu and it's like watch it there. It's almost like the conservative, the reasonable conservative man is represented and they don't ever get it wrong. So it's like what the late nineties, early two thousands, but there's never anything that you go, oh, I wish they didn't say that, or any of those kind of like no one else is a victim to any of that comedy, and it is the way they do it is like seems miraculous.
Speaker 4: To me because Mike Judge is a genius.
Speaker 1: He's so good.
Speaker 3: And Toby Huss does every fucking voice on this Really it is like anyone who isn't Hank Hill or.
Speaker 5: Bobby Hill Toby.
Speaker 3: It's wild because I love Toby and he's the best. But like I was like, hold it, wait, that teacher was Toby, Wait that mechanic was Toby, And you.
Speaker 1: Just realize he's doing all of these voices.
Speaker 4: I can't see him and not think Frank Sinatra from the year four TV like that, that's who doesn't.
Speaker 5: Right, Frank Sinatra. That's kind of my dream though, too, is to do an animation voice. Have you ever done I've never been a character, like a regular part of an animation show. No, I've done like a drop in here and there. Have you ever done that?
Speaker 1: I got to do it on there was a show called Craig of the Creek and they.
Speaker 5: Have my kids know that it's a yeah.
Speaker 3: It was like a cartoon network show and me and Georgia, who I do the other podcast with, were like two high school goth girls.
Speaker 4: I didn't know about that.
Speaker 3: That's awesome And it was like the first time we did it, having to hear myself and be like, oh, this, I don't know how to do it. It's like they just asked us to do it for like fun times or whatever. But I was like everybody else on that show voice acting is such a skill obviously, and I was like, oh, I wish I had had this skill now that I'm doing it, because it's it has this like there's a whole kind of fullness to it and of way you have to act that is only this that Like, as I was doing it, I was like, man, I'm starting to get what skill this takes.
Speaker 5: Did they ask you back or it was only for one thing?
Speaker 1: No, we did it for a couple of years.
Speaker 5: Well then you must have been great. Would have been too bad.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying it made me really appreciate what like the cast members on that show, which were like they were young people in their in their twenties playing like grammar school students, were fucking amazing. Like every time we were there, when they were there, I was like, this is incredible.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, it's a it's a cool thing.
Speaker 3: And also it's like I don't know, anytime I see any of those people or it's like Bob's Burgers all those people. We were like, yeah, you just get what's fun sounding, and like you just made a character that I believe is real.
Speaker 1: It's so cool.
Speaker 4: I can't believe you did that for two years and I no, I no knowledge of it.
Speaker 5: The goth girl what's the character's name? We were I have no idea, girled the goth girls on Craig of the Creek.
Speaker 3: Craig of the Creek that pretended to be witches. We tried to scare the little kids by acting like you were witches.
Speaker 4: I feel like you could make a couple of phone calls, Matt, and you could be a voice on whatever cartoon you want, if only.
Speaker 5: It is for you. I love how you think I'm a bigger fish than I am.
Speaker 4: No, you're a huge fish.
Speaker 1: Really really quick. Let's just pitch out a couple of ideas.
Speaker 3: So there's a Chicken Man, which is just the story of a regular guy in the valley trying to raise chickens, like getting through week to week and raise chicken.
Speaker 5: All green thumb.
Speaker 4: That at least, let's thank you for. If there's one thing, I don't care if I get a voiceover job. I just want to green thumb, thank you.
Speaker 5: I want to I want to be whatever voice I can. Yeah, I mean, let's animate this, guys.
Speaker 4: Guys, you know I'm into it. I just want to show up somewhere every day. I'll play on a lease because she's a regular cast member. Rude, but I want to be I don't want to just be like a one time. I've never on a regular on a lease. That's all I'm saying. Yeah, Okay, I can't believe we've pitched Green, Thumbed, Green Last, and Red some you need a ride.
Speaker 5: Let me know how I can help with like the character look okay or whatever. I don't need to sign off you should.
Speaker 3: Is it too ham handed that you would also look like a little bit like a chicken if you were.
Speaker 5: I think it's great, Okay. I'm all about yes, and to get this animation so we can make it in North Korea too. Honestly, I don't have ethical issues about where we get this animated. And some of the money comes out of Libya, I mean I don't know. I don't want to know where the money is coming from. You guys, are you guys see them up front? So I don't want to ask any too many questions. You are the other.
Speaker 1: I knew it. I knew we'd get that out of you at some point.
Speaker 5: No, I would have I would have spoken more awful things.
Speaker 4: Sorry, kids, if you didn't want to draw on an assembly line, why'd you get good at drawing?
Speaker 1: Sorry, not our fault, Matt.
Speaker 4: You've been the best.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you, guys, lovely, thank you so much. I was really excited and it's such a wonderful idea to do a show like this.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 5: I really had fun.
Speaker 4: Come back.
Speaker 1: Anytime you have other stuff to get done, I will around.
Speaker 5: Here, I will reach out and I won't ask.
Speaker 4: You to do anymore and you can.
Speaker 5: Well. I feel like it's awkward to leave the conversation.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, we cut that. Yeah, there's been sound effects, the fully work. I go in and punch these slabs of beef. There's all there's all these after things that we do, after effects, after thank you, Yes, don't be after effects. I go in to swrolling logo. What's the name of your podcast? With Tim?
Speaker 5: Second in command?
Speaker 4: Second in command. I'm excited to listen to that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty fun. It's pretty fun.
Speaker 4: Thanks Matt.
Speaker 5: This is the Tesla. Yeah, we got to talk about this it's the old press push. It's not intuitive. No, it isn't all right. Thank you guys, yeah so much. It's great to see you. He was great. Yay, you've been listening to Do You Need a Ride? D y n a R.
Speaker 4: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 2: Our senior producer is Annalise Nelson.
Speaker 4: Mixed by Edson Choy.
Speaker 2: Our talent booker is Patrick Cootner.
Speaker 4: Theme song by Karen Kilgarreth.
Speaker 2: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 3: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y n ar Podcast.
Speaker 4: For more information, go to exactly Rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh You're welcome