Speaker 1: Training camps continue across the NFL a wave of injuries, though visits one hotly contested division. We will update you on all of the divisions are coming up today. The Dallas Cowboys training camp continues.
Speaker 2: On the road in Oxnard.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, Jerry Jones making news saying the Cowboys didn't walk away from Max Crosby. We examine what they're walking towards on a live report from Jane Slater on our show, and the Las Vegas Raiders have their starting quarterback for now.
Speaker 2: We tackle some possible outcomes and.
Speaker 1: Chat with former Raider and current Raiders broadcaster Kurt Morrison on Today's Insiders. Hey, everybody, welcome to this edition of The Insiders. Patrick club On here with NFL Network insider Ian Rapport and Judy Batista.
Speaker 2: Folks.
Speaker 1: We are three days away from back together Saturday, and while a lot of teams are back together on this Wednesday, not everyone's doing everything. That's what we start with here in What's New Today, Two of the best and most explosive players in the NFL that happened play running back, winning on new contracts. Both Jon Robinson and Jamier Gibbs not practicing as they aspire towards that goal of new deals. The Falcons and Lions now in very similar situations. Ian, but timeline was, I guess somebody has to go first.
Speaker 3: We'll start right there.
Speaker 4: It certainly seems, just based on the landscape of this thing, that the Atlanta Falcons and Vjon Robinson are having more active conversations as it pertains to a long term extension.
Speaker 3: If a deal is going to get done for either of these.
Speaker 4: Guys, which they coe's safe to say is up in the air right now, certainly would make sense based on where it's going for Jon Robinson to be first running back this offseason to get the blockbuster deal and become the highest paid running back in the NFL. Make no mistake, both of these players, both Jamier Gibbs and Jon Robinson are in similar situations. Both have fifth year options, both are entering the fourth year, Both have been engaged at some point of the offseason in long term extensions, and both, if they get a new deal, will be either close to or the highest paid running back in the NFL. We will see if the Atlanta Falcons of v Jon Robinson can end up landing that plane. As far as Jamior gives these conversations do not seem to be as active. He is holding in as well as not really taking part in practice at all.
Speaker 3: Similar to b John Robinson.
Speaker 4: Would not be surprised if we don't see Gibbs at practice, Patrick and participating in practice until they get some sort of real significant progress on a contract extension. You know, he's going to be ready physically. Both of these guys did the condition test. Both these guys past the physical would not be surprised that we don't see them participate at all until they get new contracts.
Speaker 1: A lot to watch for, specially with these two players. So again, they play the running back position, but in terms of the share that they have for their offense, it is very significant for both of them. And with that Falcons offense, they have another set of issues in the quarterback position. To a talk about Alola limited in camp with a back injury. They're still waiting for clearance, for full clearance for Michael Pennock Junior. He updated us on his status today.
Speaker 5: I was told that like another four weeks possibly going into that next stage, but at the same time, it could be earlier. You know, it just depends on, you know, how my body is doing. Throughout this whole camp process. Obviously, I have a long injury history, so the last thing I want to do is try to rush back just to get out on the field.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: I want to make sure my body is healthy so that whenever I do get on the field, I can give it.
Speaker 7: This team one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Did the very open acknowledgment there for Michael Pennock Junior, citing everything that he's been through. The Falcons had a slew of quarterback transactions this week as they kind of prepare to deal with this.
Speaker 8: This is, first of all, a very unfortunate situation for Michael Pennox Junior, who has had three torn acls. He obviously says, you know, he's got a long history, and so they are not going to rush him back. What this basically means is there's no quarterback competition for the Atlanta Falcons as we thought there might be.
Speaker 7: To a Tubify.
Speaker 8: Look, who's got a back shoe that flared up. So he's currently not practicing unless that sets him aside for most of training camp. He's going to be the starting quarterback at least going into the start of the season. If Michael Pennix is out four weeks before he can even start practicing. Well, that takes you up to about just two weeks before the season opener before he can start practicing. So this is going to be to his job. They hope he will be able to start practicing by the end of this week, maybe early next week is more likely. As long as they can manage the back issue that Tua is having, it's going to be his job. With Michael Penis unfortunately unable to even practice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So as a part of those transactions, Cooper Rush comes in, they release former Broncos starting quarterback Trevor Simy, and we'll keep an eye on the quarterback situation there in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Let's come back over here to the.
Speaker 1: West Coast where the Los Angeles Rams training camp underway from Loyola Marymount University, as we get a chance to see the Rams quarterbacks at work. Their top target, Pooka Nakula addressing some of the issues that he's had off the field, including some moments where he was asked to do anti Semitic hand signs by twitch streamers. Addressing some of those issues today.
Speaker 9: Trying to take accountability for the things that I know that I can continue to change and it can grow in ways that I know that help have helped me feel as best as I can when I step out here in the football field, them and outside of the football field, them being a father, some of that has changed my life. But then also just becoming a better person, continuing to work on a there's my therapist.
Speaker 7: I feel like we have a really good.
Speaker 9: Connection and just the ability to communicate in different ways and to use the safe space that I have out here and finding ways the other places that are safe space for me outside of the football field.
Speaker 1: Finally, here of that rookie deal in looking at another contract with the off the field issues and issue in.
Speaker 3: Terms of them, it certainly is the Los Angeles Rams.
Speaker 4: Really what they want to see from Pooka Nakula is that he is in a better place this year than he was at any point last year. I'm not even talking about on the field. On the field, he is a superstar. He's one of the best, if not the best, receiver in the NFL and certainly, just based on his play, deserves a huge contract.
Speaker 3: That's not really what this is about. This is about off the field.
Speaker 4: It's about him personally, and Pukinikua mentioned some of it has worked with a therapist, going to rehab, taking accountability for some of the actions that he very well did last year in very public manner. That really is what the Rams want to see, and that is why my understanding of the situation. Do not expect a Pookin Nikua contract extension before the season.
Speaker 3: Do not.
Speaker 4: He has one more year left on his deal. The Rams have had a lot of money and a lot of different places on a lot of different players. I expect that to sort of be the focus this year, and we will see after this year if he ends up getting tagged or a new extension and deal from the Rams.
Speaker 1: You know, one of those players, most notably is Miles Garrett's former team, the Cleveland Browns, with a deal for one of his former teammates, fellow defensive players, safety Grant Delpit, and the grounds of agreeing to a deal could be worth up to forty eight million dollars over the next three years. Delpit played in all seventeen games last year, had seven quarterback hits from the safety position, and speaking of hitting quarterbacks, former number one overall pick to Debian Clowney visiting the Browns today. According to the NFL Network asider Mike Garrofalo Jad Clowney had eight and a half sacks last year.
Speaker 2: Me While the Browns they.
Speaker 1: Still got to figure out who they will be starting at quarterback. Let's hear from their head coach Todd Munkin.
Speaker 10: All four quarterbacks are going to compete. They all won't get equal reps. Obviously, we will alternate, just like we did in the spring, Deshaun and Shador with the ones. We're gonna have to have a start of the first game, right, I mean, ultimately, I'm not going to decide who the starter is. They decide by their play. Their play decides who the starter isn't. I don't have any preconceived notions of how they played in the past or how they're going to play. I only can with my eyes. Judge and guys got to play well around him. I think we've shored up some things up front. We've added some weapons on the perimeter, so I think that's going to help. But they'll decide who plays. I don't decide who plays. The players decide who plays.
Speaker 2: That's one way to look at it from the head coach, Judy.
Speaker 1: But before they play, you're gonna have to figure out who gets a chance to play in those preseason games because those are going to be coming on the way pretty soon.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the plan is to split the first team rep So today it was Deshaun Watson with the first team. The reporters who were on the ground said, he struggled. He threw back to back interceptions. Of course, it's the first day of practice. We will see how Shador does when he gets with the first team.
Speaker 7: This is sort of how it went in the spring, too. One guy would seem to take the lead.
Speaker 8: It looked early on like Deshaun Watson was pulling ahead in the race, and then Shador Sanders started to make some headway. Don't forget going all the way back to the spring. Originally, Todd Monkin wanted to have a decision on his starting quarterback coming out out of the spring, So that tells you neither one of them was able to separate himself from the other. The preseason games are going to be really important. Monkin said he's going to play his starters, So obviously these guys are going to have to show something in the preseason games.
Speaker 7: To pull ahead.
Speaker 8: This is a very tough situation if neither one of them can pull ahead. That tells you this is a tough decision and probably not one that is going to land them a top tier quarterback performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it is Watson in week one, he'd be only the third quarterback to start in three week ones for the Browns in the last twenty years. So's wes new today coming into the nfl LA newsroom. The Houston Texans and CJ. Stroud back at work this week for training camp. The twenty twenty three Rookie of the Year had his fifth year option picked up, but it's the subsequent years that are yet to be straightened out. Today, GM Nick Cassio said, they're already having some productive conversations.
Speaker 11: We've had pretty constructive discussions here with Corse of the spring. So I'd say as possibility gonna happen in training camp, it doesn't happen in training camp, and I have to make a decision about, you know, what we feel makes the most sense.
Speaker 7: So, like I said, try to take it one day.
Speaker 11: At a time, and you know, if we reach an endpoint, great, If we don't, you know, I think everybody understands what that you know, will on tail as well.
Speaker 12: What I've done is what I've done on the field, and what I will do, you know, we'll see. So I think you know, I've had some success, and I think you know I'll continue to have success.
Speaker 2: There's a quarterback in his league, so I'm.
Speaker 12: Excited for the future, you know, and pass all the contracts stuff.
Speaker 2: I love playing football.
Speaker 1: Let's welcome back Brian Baldinger into this edition of The Insiders.
Speaker 2: The en Rapper ward with us as well.
Speaker 1: It feels like the expectation was a Stroud deal would come after whatever performance he provides.
Speaker 2: Could we get this sooner rather than later?
Speaker 4: We could in fact, it a CJ. Stroud deal sooner rather than later, provided all sides agree.
Speaker 3: And they are not there yet.
Speaker 7: It does not.
Speaker 4: Seem like they are close yet. A couple of important factors here. First of all, we saw CJ. Stroud struggle at the end of the year for the Houston Texans. It is clear inside the organization they view him as the franchise starter, no question, the player who led them to the playoffs multiple years in a row, who is entrenched at that position. And those guys, those franchise starters who were young, were looking at new contracts they essentially make in the fifties based on new money average. I'm talking about the Jared Gobbs of the world at Jordan Love and Trevor Lawrence. Certainly seems like that would be the category of c J.
Speaker 3: Stroud.
Speaker 4: Will he end up being able to get a deal with Texans, We simply don't know. It seems like both sides are comfortable making an attempt out of that. If it doesn't happen by the season, that is okay. They will try again next year. But the fact that talks are going on is I would say at least extremely notworthy for Houston's belief in c J.
Speaker 2: Stroud and Baldi.
Speaker 1: If we're going to create a circumstance where those conversations are very amenable for c J.
Speaker 13: Stroud, what needs to change, Well, the people around them have to change. I mean, they went from Laramie tunsl at left tackle last year to a rookie and Ariante Ursery building their offensive line again this year.
Speaker 14: They got a rookie Keelan Rutledge at center going to start.
Speaker 13: That's never an easy transition to go from guard and Kyle's to a starting center with CJ. Getting Dell back might really help. They needed that slot receiver. I think the running gate has to pick up. You look at that last defeat against the Patriots right there with those interceptions.
Speaker 14: They ran the ball for forty two yards that day.
Speaker 13: They didn't run the ball well at all last year at the very bottom of the league. They've got to run the ball better. They've got to protect better. I have no question that CJ. Stroud knows how to go through progressions, knows how to the open receiver, has great arm strength in touch like those things haven't changed.
Speaker 14: But the pieces around them have to get better.
Speaker 13: And if they do, I think you'll see a real uptick in CJ's play.
Speaker 1: Plenty of aspects statistically where c J. Strout was still maintaining the success he's had early in his career last year. That's the latest on the Stroud on the Texans with Ian Rappaport and Brian Balding.
Speaker 11: The one thing I love about the cow Boys fan bases, it's that or nothing.
Speaker 2: I love those expectations.
Speaker 7: Okay, snap.
Speaker 8: To go.
Speaker 7: So I'm talking about a go do something the Cowboy.
Speaker 4: Didday Dak Prescott, you gotta pass in right now while you have this opportunity.
Speaker 10: I will prevail.
Speaker 1: Everybody came into Oxnard yesterday, the first day of practice for the Dallas Cowboys in Oxnard, California.
Speaker 2: And well as well as the.
Speaker 1: Birthday for their starting quarterback.
Speaker 7: It's your birthday today. What's your wish this year?
Speaker 1: So happy birthday to Dak Prescott. A training camp annual circumstances. We are back in Oxnard with Jane Slater after the first day of practice.
Speaker 2: Good evening to you, Jane, how to.
Speaker 15: Go well, Good evening to you. Here's what I'll say. There are no pods yet. That comes on Saturday, Patrick, but there's still a lot to light from day one.
Speaker 3: Including this.
Speaker 15: I know this is going to excite the fans. We have gotten George Pickens here, and if you'll pay attention, this is their first connection of training camp. Pickens slips the defender there along the sideline, turns it upfield for extra yards.
Speaker 7: And this was the.
Speaker 15: Part that got the fans really really hype the stuff that we've been seeing in practice. When he showed up to mini camp. That celebration a little bit of his personality. And when he's not making plays, he and eighty eight, well, they're constantly talking between reps and feeding off one another.
Speaker 7: Throughout practice.
Speaker 15: Whether Pickens is playing for a long term future in Dallas or simply resetting his value ahead of free agency, Brian Schottenheimer says he's seeing a player who styled in.
Speaker 16: I think you're going to see a very motivated George Pickens going into the season, and I think that's great news for us and maybe bad news.
Speaker 17: For the rest of the league.
Speaker 15: Second year running back Jaden Blue also answered a challenge from his head coach after admitting he got off to a slow start as a rookie and was even a healthy scratch at times. Blue opened up camp with that explosive run right there. He told me this coaching XAV has challenged him to become a more complete back, particularly in the passing game. Think cleaner routes, better timing, and creating more opportunities on screens and checkdowns to make this offense even more versatile. Now, I did have to ask Blue about the admission by his head coach last year that he was wearing Louis Vaton cleats and practice that led to blisters and he had to sit out a bit. He laughed about it, but he said, guys, what happened there was that you've got to size up. When it's Louis Vaton, he says it's not the brand's problem, it was his problem. They were ill fitted, so he will size up. But those are just some of the things. He's got his head on straight this year, and he really wants to make an impression and he certainly did that on the first day back to camp in his second year.
Speaker 1: Yes, a great opportunity for all of us who planned intently on having lou Vaton footwear when we were playing and athletic competition.
Speaker 2: I appreciate him looking out for all of us.
Speaker 1: Shane Slater with the latest on the Dallas Cowboys their first day of practice in Oxnard. When we come back, there's a couple of MVP winners drafted in twenty eighteen. Both of them had their longtime coaches replaced. So just how different are things in Baltimore and Buffalo. We hear from Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson coming up next on The Insider.
Speaker 2: I love the Rams, I love this city.
Speaker 18: This the team that has drafted me.
Speaker 3: Gotta game my money, rat.
Speaker 14: They need to get a long term extension in place.
Speaker 2: There's so much at stake.
Speaker 7: Gotta get my money, Rat. The extension is going to get done or he's going somewhere.
Speaker 1: Else back here on the Insiders, what's new today, Well, what's new with Lamar's contract. He's not telling us that training gap since he's going to keep the contract extension discussions private.
Speaker 2: But the thing he is very willing to discuss his new play caller decland Doyle.
Speaker 18: I don't think we carried over anything. Man, it's deck Deck like a wizard.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 18: He's he's trying to get the best out of all of us, you know, not just the quarterbacks, but every every aspect of the offense. And I feel like he's doing a great job at that, challenging us each and every play, you know, even with the huddle, how the huddle is set up, he's challenging us. Men get to the line of stremings, facts, execute, breakdown, you know, break down the defense process everything fast. It's like process of elimination when we get into the line of streamings.
Speaker 16: So it's great.
Speaker 18: Each and every year you're getting older, your your mind is getting sharpened. Uh, everything is slowing down even more. It's like you're not seeing everything. You know, anything a defense can bring at you.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 18: The only thing different now is just a new offense. So once I get that down pack, I feel like there's no room for error with us.
Speaker 2: Keep stacking Judy.
Speaker 1: Everybody isn't still there from that history twenty twenty four offense, but there are pieces of ale to Deck Len Doyle have played at a very high level.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well you just heard Lamar talk about fast tempo in practice. That's how they want to play, fast tempo under center, pre snap motion explosiveness. They want to get the explosiveness back into that offense. But I actually think the most important piece of this is how locked in Lamar Jackson has been all off season. He is so bought in that he participated in the off season program, which he has not always done. And jesse Minder, the new head coach, talk today about how you know sometimes when you have to learn something new, that energizes you because you know you have to learn something by a deadline, right, you've got to know it by the time the games start.
Speaker 7: He was talking about Lamar there.
Speaker 8: He has been very energized by where they are right now, by this new offense by the new coaching staff, to the point where Lamar said jesse Minder took him aside and said, let's meet in the office and I'm going to show you defenses. That way, Lamar can learn defenses, can unders stand defenses more than he has before.
Speaker 7: Lamar's really into it. So I think that is a really.
Speaker 8: Important component of what we're going to see this year from Lamar Jackson and the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 1: Another bit of exciting news for the Baltimore Ravens and their fan base. After recovering from a career threatening neck injury, two time All.
Speaker 2: Pro defensive tackle Nomie Matabka practice.
Speaker 1: For the first time in ten months this week after passing his physical and coming off of the pup lists. So great news for Nomine Matabka. Hopefully a great and healthy return for him. We'll be back with Judy Batista as we continue this edition of The Insiders. Let's get to Lamar's twenty eighteen draft classmate in Josh Allen, first training camp under new head coach and former OC Joe Brady as the Bill see some changes.
Speaker 2: Josh Allen, all those changes and some of the reasons for them.
Speaker 19: We talked about this earlier in OTA's just the vibe, the energy, you know, it's different.
Speaker 2: It's not messing.
Speaker 19: It's better, it's worse, it's different, and you know, as a new head coach for a team, I think that's a smart decision to make things different. You know, this isn't the same place, and you have to make it feel differently because you know, doing the same thing it obviously didn't work. So got to got to change it up and try to find new ways to make it work.
Speaker 1: One way to make it work is to provide NFL Network and serder Ian Rappaport with a spectacular umbrella. As Ian Rappaport there as the Bills works towards twenty twenty six, Ian, what what did you learn besides protecting one Well, I learned Patrick.
Speaker 4: When you're going to go on a road trip that includes many many cities, you should probably bring at least one coat or maybe an umbrellas you don't have to swipe one from a local Rochester TV reporter.
Speaker 14: Thanks.
Speaker 3: I appreciate the mbrell. Let's talk about the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 4: Listening to Josh Allen talk about the change in the organization and that really has resonated throughout the organization. Here is what I essentially came away from today with this. Besides the fact that it was incredibly rainy and cold and everybody seemed fine with it. Sean mcdermotod is universally respected inside the building and change is okay, change is necessary. They won a lot, it was not enough, and when it came time to pick a head coach, they went with Joe Brady, who's got a lot of juice, who certainly brings a lot more excitement to the organization than Sean McDermott did. The offense is going to be similar. That was role in last year. Bringing Jim Leonard for a defense that my understanding. When they did the coach Church, they really found that a lot of the feedback was their defense was too predictable. Jim Leonard one of the top defensive coordinator candidates around.
Speaker 3: He ends up getting hired by the Bills.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of excitement there what he can bring, the attacking style, the versatileness for his defense. There is a lot of optimism in Buffalo with this new staff.
Speaker 1: Or in Rochester with you Gar West today. Yeah, very ready Rochester today again. Ian provided with that protection thanks to Ian over back. As The Insiders continues, we'll get to the Philadelphia Eagles making News yesterday, Jalen Carter gets a new deal could be worth up to one hundred and sixty million dollars over four years. The Eagles already extended defensive tackle Jordan Davis this offseason.
Speaker 2: Clearly a position of value. As Howie Roseman noted today, Howie.
Speaker 16: The decision to give Jaien part of the contract, we know, no, no, no, welcome back man.
Speaker 7: Now, hey, guys, how's it going.
Speaker 3: How's everyone summer?
Speaker 6: We've got football back in Philadelphia. It's a beautiful thing, right through it, right through it. Right the defense tackle position in the league, in college football, it's a deficient position. You know, they're hard to find guys like that, and so we feel like it was a priority. Where the market was when March opened was kind of in transition. You know, you had guys like Decks ready to sign, obviously Simmons, and so some of the reasons that it got to this point were just because we were trying to figure out the market and his perspective, he was trying to figure out the market. There hadn't been a big jump in the market, and so we like to do contracts in March and April. Obviously, get that situated before we go into the draft, before we go into our summer.
Speaker 14: This is a unique situation.
Speaker 6: By the same token, getting this done before camp was important for all of us. You know, good things happen when you get things off your plate and you're able to focus on football.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Brian Baldinger back in here as the Eagles going to twenty twenty six, Baldy having now answered some of the biggest contract questions this offseason, albeit not to how is Tom one?
Speaker 2: But they still got it done.
Speaker 14: Yeah, they did.
Speaker 13: And you know, the nickname for jail and Carter is the bread Man, and he just got the bread man like and you know know and how he is credit since under his leadership, when a young player.
Speaker 14: That's drafted high performs, well, they don't wait around. They extended Landard Dickerson, Jordan Davis this year.
Speaker 2: I go through the roster and.
Speaker 14: They extend their players, and rightfully so.
Speaker 13: The market exploded this year with Dexter Lawrence, Jeffrey Simmons, Jordan Davis earlier this year and Jalen Carter is probably better than all of them when he's full strength. He was banged up last year wasn't quite the same guy. But I'll say this about Jalen Carter. If you don't double team of Patrick, you do so at your own peror because they're not a single guy one on one that can really effectively block Jalen Carter.
Speaker 14: And so he's going to draw an awful.
Speaker 13: Lot of double teams, and he knows how to beat him, and he makes everybody else around him better. This was a good move by Philadelphia locking him up, getting him Davis in the middle for the long term right here, as they keep the foundation of this defense intact going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cornerstone, the centerpiece of a defense that won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: A lot of people seem to forget that wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 1: It was the Philadelphia Eagles hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.
Speaker 2: Brian Baldinger with us here.
Speaker 1: Football is Back Back Together Weekend kicks off August first live coverage from NFL training camps across the league to it in Saturday, starting at nine am Eastern on ESPN and NFL Network. Coverage continues throughout the weekend right here on NFL Network. Looking forward to Back Together Saturday, as well as inside training Camp coming your way next week here on NFL Network. As for today, what's coming into our newsroom. Let's go a couple of miles southwest to El Segundo. That's where the Chargers are back at Quinn Johnson, friend of the show, making that one handed grab a little celebration. They are glad to be more healthy than they were in the middle. In a late part of the twenty twenty five season, a vast majority of the snaps did not feature either Joe Off or Rashaan Slater.
Speaker 2: Jim Harball, to put it bluntly, like sys tackles.
Speaker 20: Everybody's clear past physical and ready to roll. It's like a plane, you know, just starting on a runway. You know it's gonna it's going to get moving, and it's going to get get going, and then it's going to start going so fast it's just going to take.
Speaker 7: Off and and be flying.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we're not gonna There's a ramp.
Speaker 1: Up not too far from the flight path from Lax there and also go tos Coach Armel.
Speaker 2: Has planes on the brain. I was wondering where I was going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure, but the injury submarine them in twenty twenty five, glad to have a lot of.
Speaker 2: Guys back healthy.
Speaker 4: I thought he was comparing his two superstar tackles to enormous planes who were on the runway. Once they get going, you can't stop them because they're so big and they're so fast and they're so good. That analogy actually makes a lot more sense than using it to ramp up.
Speaker 3: But I digress.
Speaker 4: The reason we're talking about this is because the Charges last year, for all the success and all the games they won, did so without two of the best.
Speaker 3: Tackles in football.
Speaker 4: Is really an incredible thing that they ended up getting done, and in the end they got justin Herbert hit far more than they ever wanted to do.
Speaker 3: It still made things happen on offense. They go into this year with a couple of changes.
Speaker 4: One, both those guys are healthy, creating what is one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, no doubt about it, just based on personnel and the fact that they have Mike McDaniel as an offensive coordinator and basically created this offense in his image. Really is going to determine where this Los Angeles Chargers offense goes. There's a lot of excitement, there's a lot of talent. He was, no doubt the top coordinator, hired after the Miami Dolphins fired him as the head coach. If they stay healthy, we will see what this offense is actually capable of.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 3: Man, it is going to be like planes.
Speaker 4: Taking off and then like going higher and just flying.
Speaker 3: Ikey, plane's flying.
Speaker 1: Continue the analogy. I guess the gear would come out at some point and then you land and you refuel, sure take right back off again. On the other side of the vision, if people think the Chargers have some changes, the shift's a bit more significant in Las Vegas, as Kirk Cousins taking first team reps for Clint Kubiak's Raiders team.
Speaker 2: Imagine hearing that sentence about a year ago. But things change quickly, and if anyone's well aware of that, it's Kirk cous.
Speaker 3: Since Clint pretty definitively named you the starter.
Speaker 21: Just kind of what does it mean to you to have that opportunity and have that confidence from.
Speaker 14: The coaching staff.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I think in this league it's kind of one day at a time, So you're only as good as your last throw, your last practice, So you know, you try to every day go out and ear in that opportunity and never take anything for granted.
Speaker 1: Las Vegas Raiders Veterans report this week. Yes, that now includes Ashton Genty as his rookie season is done, listed as a vet, Brock Bauers making his way in.
Speaker 2: Also including the man name does the starting quarterback, Kirk Cousins. But that's not the Kirk that we are focusing on. That is Kirk.
Speaker 1: Morrison, the former Raiders linebacker, part of the broadcast team, joining us here on the Insiders. Thanks for joining us, Kirk. It's been a whirlwind years about this time you got added to the broadcast team. Once a Raider, always a Raider. A lot has changed. What's it been like seeing all of these things happen over the past year, Yeah.
Speaker 22: Patri, I mean you mentioned it in a year, how quickly things have changed.
Speaker 2: Last year we're talking about Carroll and.
Speaker 22: The start of his era of Raider football as the head coach. You fast forward to now and this is now Clint Kubiak's team as he's coming in off of a winning a Super Bowl as an offensive coordinator with the Seattle Seahawks. It's a different mindset. He's now establishing his new culture. And you mentioned it, a lot of guys last year who were young players are now veterans, no longer rookies who're going to add to I think a lot of depth that this football team I think didn't really have a season ago.
Speaker 8: Kubiak has been adamant that Kirk Cousins is the starting quarterback for this team. Tell us where Fernando Mendoza is in his development and maybe what he has to do to push Kirk Cousins early in the season.
Speaker 22: Well, I think the big thing, Judy, is that Clint Kubiak started this whole thing out by saying, look, when we start training camp, Kirk Cousins will be our starting quarterback at the moment. And what that tells me is that they're giving Fernando Mendoza an opportunity to really start to develop and understand the nuances of the offense. We all know the ability of for Nana Mendoza, and I honestly I believe that his opportunity to start a quarterback will present itself in due time. But right now, if you're looking at this roster and saying, if you had a game tomorrow, Kirk Cousins is your best option at quarterback, and that just basically takes the pressure off of everybody Kirk gets the majority of those first team reps, but like practice just ended now and you're seeing Fornana Mendoza taking reps with the second and thirteen and fully developing early on as a young quarterback and learning how to continue to take those snaps for center. Today you saw a little bit of the rest for a rookie going in there and making some throws and understanding the time and it's needed. It's all part of that process. JU just excited to see it in personnel.
Speaker 1: Also get a chance to see in person Max Crosby, a franchise corner stow on the franchise, decided.
Speaker 2: To part ways with finds his way back.
Speaker 1: And now we've had a conversation with Jerry Jones yesterday mentioning talented defensive players that the Cowboys might be interested in. How do you think they're handling things in Las Vegas with the relative interest in Max Crosby, but also having a franchise cornerstone who got back on the franchise.
Speaker 22: You know, Patch, I had a chance to talk with the team yesterday just about the media requirements that are upon all NFL players, the obligation to talk to the media. But I really just let the guys know that, no matter what happens during the season, that the conversation is always going to be around certain players, and Max Crosby has actually earned that conversation because of the type of player that he is. One of the best players in the NFL on the defensive side, getting after the passer, being a disruptor on defense that a lot of teams would love to have a number ninety eight Max Crosby on that roster. That being said, we have to handle the day to day of Max Crosby as a Raider.
Speaker 2: I think we all know what.
Speaker 22: Happened this offseason, the trade that was made that didn't end up happening, and Max Crosby is back home where he always wanted to be with the Silver and Black. So it's going to be rumors, there's going to be trade thoughts, there's teams that are going to make some assumptions on what could happen. But right now, we know that Max Crosby is a Raider and I think that's where the focus will need to stay as this season continues to roll along.
Speaker 8: It's Clint Kubiak's first training camp.
Speaker 7: With the Raiders.
Speaker 8: What are you going to be looking for what's the vibe around Clint Kubiak's camp.
Speaker 7: It is all ball, Like Judy, they no lie.
Speaker 14: It is all ball here in Las Vegas. They don't talk about anything else.
Speaker 3: It is all about the ball.
Speaker 22: Practice starts at seven thirty am, obviously because of whether how hot it gets.
Speaker 3: During the summer months.
Speaker 14: But these guys are here early and they're.
Speaker 22: All about executing, developing, creating a culture, just obviously all about team, team building, team camaraderie.
Speaker 14: There is no eye, they said, the I is not in the building.
Speaker 22: It is all about team and that's the culture that he wants to present. We saw what it looked like with the Seattle Seahawks with Mike McDonald's head coach, Clint Kubiak as offensive coordinator. That's something that worked in Seattle. I think he's bringing some of that, not all of it, but some of that down here to Las Vegas. And you can see the players are buying in big time. They're all about what Clint preaches. The expectations within this building are extremely high. Maybe not outside of the locker room when it comes nationally, but the way the guys are so receptible what Clint has been preaching.
Speaker 7: I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I told him I sued up for him, you know.
Speaker 22: Hearing him talking to team meeting, so excited to what he's been able to I think implement so far in the early stages of training camp.
Speaker 1: We get to see more of that training camp came and I will need to see you on the road as your camp tour goes on, including that Week two opponent, the division rival Los Angeles Chargers.
Speaker 2: Kirk Morrison, thanks for joining us here on this edition of The Insiders.
Speaker 14: Thank you both appreciate it.
Speaker 1: One thing that's big in fantasy football tiers, no, not crying when you lose, but actual top tier quarterback lists.
Speaker 2: Michael f. Floyo has the best list. He'll tell you who's on it. Coming up next on The Insider.
Speaker 1: Back On the Insiders, here are the top ten quarterbacks according to Madden NFL twenty seven ratings. Out of some of these guys stay on the list, answer is a little different for a few of them. Here's what we heard from the top quarterbacks this week.
Speaker 23: Yeah, it's an exciting feeling, but like we talked about today and yesterday, it doesn't matter now.
Speaker 7: You know, we had a great offseason.
Speaker 14: On paper.
Speaker 16: But you know, now we have to go and put.
Speaker 19: All these pieces together and have individual improvement, have cohesive improvement, and you know, find out who we are as a team.
Speaker 24: In jail, I just hit the easy ones, you know, when there, when they're there, being rhythm with myself, be confident and my guys, be confident within the play, deliver a good ball, deliver a catch the ball, and then from there when things happen, I put on the cape and go do.
Speaker 23: My thing, staying sharp on everything so I can play fast like I was at the end of the season. And the chemistry and just the rapport with me and the skill guys is so important. And just really tapping into that all throughout training camp and making sure that we're on the same page, because you saw when we started clicking at the end of the last season, you know, how efficient and how sharp we were in some of the players we were able to make.
Speaker 7: So just starting that now and trying.
Speaker 23: To practice like that every day, you know, so we can start the season that way and not take a few weeks to get there.
Speaker 25: One hundred percent alignment and zero entitlement, And so as a team, that's that's what everybody's pushing. I'm taught to Saquon and he's talking about just us being disciplined, and that's going out there and fight for one another and executing. So you know, that's a bigger picture standpoint, and I think Coachiriani is he's starting with him obviously, but we just.
Speaker 7: Want to take it a day out of.
Speaker 25: Time and being able to onboard everything we're doing and continue to deposit daily.
Speaker 1: Let's onboard your fantasy football primer process as we continue are push towards your fantasy draft. Michael fl floorial back here in studio with us as one of the most easily applied draft strategies is to have tiers for your quarterbacks. And I feel like you got one that probably stands above the rest.
Speaker 21: Yeah, there's one name in my tier one at quarterback.
Speaker 7: You could probably guess who it is. It's Josh Allen.
Speaker 21: Why because his worst fantasy finish in any of the last six years.
Speaker 7: It's QB two overall.
Speaker 21: And there's other quarterbacks that may bring similar upside, but no one brings the combination of high floor and ceiling like Allen. He is the highest fantasy point game ever by a quarterback twelve or more rushing touchdowns in each of the last three seasons. Something that we didn't see him doing in the start of the run was putting up rushing touchdowns like that. But with DJ Moore in a potentially more aggressive passing attack, we could see him reach new heights.
Speaker 7: Because we've seen him put up big rushing numbers.
Speaker 21: Touchdown wise and big other years, put up big passing numbers.
Speaker 7: We haven't seen him kind of put it all together at once. But he's in Tier one by himself.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the second tier because you got multiple options for folks picking later, probably in the draft.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 21: Lamar, Jaden and Drake May here. They are all elite running and passing quarterbacks. Any of them can put up numbers similar to a Josh Allen, It's.
Speaker 7: Just not as secure like two years ago.
Speaker 21: Lamar Jackson scored the most Fantasy points ever by a quarterback, and reports are.
Speaker 7: That he could throw more.
Speaker 21: Jaden Daniels had arguably the greatest rookie season ever by a quarterback, and he scored nineteen or more Fantasy points in eighty percent of the games that he has finished. And May was the QB two last week last year with the most top twelve finishes, and he added aj Brown. So really a lot of optimism for all of those guys important.
Speaker 2: As you noted, they're in the start of that.
Speaker 1: Any one of those guys can score comparably similar to Josh Allen, but it's just on a weekend, week out basis. Josh Allen stands alone by himself. Then we get some more options in the second tier. Who do you have in your third tier?
Speaker 7: I think this rounds up the elites at the position.
Speaker 21: It is Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts, and both of them on any given week could put up numbers like the there's the differences. You don't get the passing and rushing production like you do from the top four.
Speaker 7: Like Joe Burrow tied to a great.
Speaker 21: Offense, maybe the best one two punch at wide receiver in the NFL, and a defense with questions.
Speaker 7: But why is he tier three? Because two years ago.
Speaker 21: He put up the best passing numbers of anyone in the NFL and he was still just a QB three because he doesn't run. Hurts top five in points per game each of the three of the last four years.
Speaker 7: The rushing touchdowns push him up, but he hasn't put up the.
Speaker 21: Big passing numbers like say Drake May and Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen, so that's why he's in Tier three. And then Tier four is huge. I think it's over twelve names of my Tier four.
Speaker 7: It is. All of these are guys that had finished as qb ones before we know they have the ability to do so.
Speaker 21: Justin Herbert is who I ranked the highest of the bunch, and he's the one I like the most, but at cost because that matters. I like Jackson and Kyler Murray the most in this group. But just last year Stafford, Lawrence and Caleb were top five at the quarterback position. We've seen Dak and Mahomes do that. Party and bo Nicks have top seven finishes under their belt. Jared goffis perhaps the safest quarterback in all of Fantasy.
Speaker 7: So any of these guys, if you wait on.
Speaker 21: Quarterback, you could feel comfortable with them being your weekly starter.
Speaker 1: And for the folks that are like, wow, we got thirteen guys in one tier, there's plenty of two quarterback leagues. We don't know your settings, Plenty two quarterback leagues, a lot of super flex leagues, there's plenty of different ways for you to participate in fantasy football, but considering the volume of names in Tier four, it feels like it's a rough news for anybody that finds themselves in the fifth tier.
Speaker 7: So tier five is names that I still like, but they're not quite.
Speaker 21: As proven as the names in Tier four. Like I really like Malik Willis. I think he's going to have to run a bunch. I came on this show and said, I think he finished his top twelve this year, but you don't have to pay that price for him. Tyler, Schuck and cam Ward also bring low NQB one upside and improved situations from last year. The rest are more safe floor options that you could plug in in a pinch, like a bye week replacement or an injury replacement.
Speaker 7: And I know there's a lot of names there, but do you wait.
Speaker 21: It's never a bad idea to take two quarterbacks and kind of play the match up one.
Speaker 7: It'll get hot or something like that.
Speaker 21: And so that's what if I'm not getting elite, I like to wait in my Tier four and grab two names.
Speaker 1: High upside is where we get the value add and no better value add on this.
Speaker 2: Show, to Michael Flurio.
Speaker 1: Joining us here as we get you ready for your fantasy draft folks. ESPN Fantasy Football now the official fantasy game of the NFL, and new this season, knockout leagues, where each week the lowest scoring team is eliminated.
Speaker 2: Until only one is left standing.
Speaker 1: Download the ESPN Fantasy app for free today. Sign up to play the number one fantasy game. Before we go, Let's get you some news. What's today into with our newsroom. Bengals defense been Shamar Stewart still awaiting a prognosis on a left leg injury after he was carted off today. Best wishes to Shamar Stewart. We already have the bad news for Brian Brazi. It is feared to be a torn ACL according to NFL Network, consider Ian rap For and Mike Garrofalo would end his twenty twenty six season. Also, Panthers rookie Chris Brazzel had an LCL tear.
Speaker 2: In his left knee.
Speaker 1: Per Joe Pearson person It's believed to be unrelated to earlier in the issue for him. Good injury news Malik Neighbors not being placed on the physically unable to perform lists. We have video of him practicing. Joe Shane on the decision to not place him on the pup list.
Speaker 16: We've got a really good plan for him. The medical staff has a really good plan for him. And you know, we're gonna always say listen to the patient. So we're gonna we're gonna see how he reacts. And you know, we got again, we got a good plan in play. So as long as everything goes as planned, you know, we'll listen to the to Malik and his body and you know, again hopefully he'll be ready, and you know, we'll see how it plays out. But no predictions right now, just because we have a long way to go. Still on a lot of camp.
Speaker 1: Bucks Star defensive tackle Vita Vea has been trying to get a new contract. Earlier this week, did request a trade, didn't practice Wednesday with a back ish you. Here's his head coach, Todd Bowles on Vita Vea, what reports.
Speaker 23: To v to B wants to be treated?
Speaker 24: What's your reaction to.
Speaker 26: That comes up every year? That usually takes care of himself. Our job is to get the guys ready to play for camp Beat is here. We're getting him ready. He's engaged in the meetings. He understands everything. He helped all the guys out, so we're getting ready to play the season with him.
Speaker 2: Todd Bowles wants to play the season with him.
Speaker 4: What's your view, Ian Worthings stand now, that is my expectation to rarely do good teams trade really really good players.
Speaker 3: Vita Vea a.
Speaker 4: Really really good player, wanted a contracts extension. Judy just not going to happen. So he's noticing that, you know, back injury until he ends up practicing until they fix it.
Speaker 2: Back injury.
Speaker 8: Todd Bowles is a is a very good head coach and very much a player's head coach who would go out there and say, tweaked us back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Bucks will continue to navigate that. We will navigate.
Speaker 1: Towards tomorrow, which takes us one week away from the start of the preseason and the twenty twenty six Hall of Fame game. We'll see you back here tomorrow, same time on The Insiders for NFL Network. Consider Ian Rappaport, Gidie Batista. I'm Patrick Claybon. Thanks for watching The Insiders.
Speaker 2: See you tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: Everybody