Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Tom Keen along with Paul Sweeney. Join us each day for insight from the best in economics, finance, investment, and international relations. You can also watch the show live on YouTube. Visit the Bloomberg Podcast channel on YouTube to see the show weekday mornings from seven to ten am Eastern from our global headquarters in New York City. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen, and always I'm Bloomberg Radio, the Bloomberg Terminal, and the Bloomberg Business app. Good morning, everyone, Tom Keen in New York, a special edition of Bloomberg Survellants, who welcome all of you across America, around the world. Three hours of conversation on what has become an American A shooting of a candidate for president, a shooting of a former president. President Trump was wounded. We all know that now, but we will look forward here in the next three hours with good conversation. In a moment, we'll go to our reporter in Pennsylvania who was in Butler this morning. I am joined by the gentleman I wanted to be with David Gerra joined us now, of course the big take, but much more than that is political coverage over the years of the NBC Network, with NPR and now back at Bloomberg. David, A difficult time for you and I to get together.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, this was a shocking moment yesterday, to say the least. This was to be the last rally that the former president gave before making his way to Milwaukee, where the Republican National Convention is scheduled to start on Monday, and there's a lot to take care between now and then. He was floating the naming of his vice presidential nominee on an indefinite day. Could have been today, could have been tomorrow. That still has to happen. So what was going to be a delegate and front circumstance Milwaukee has only become more so after what happened in Butler.
Speaker 2: And Milwaukee is front and center. That's really what we're going to focus on today is a path to Milwaukee to Chicago, and the adjusted path to November is well, We're going to do this this morning with pure conversation, and the newsflow overnight is the former president is resting well. If Donald Trump can ever rest somehow. I think he'll be up and about this morning, to.
Speaker 3: Say the least, yes, his campaign saying that we are going to see him as this convention unfolds. He's not going to be off the campaign trail, and just to get everyone up to speed on sort of where things stand. This took place yesterday around six fifteen in the evening. Then we heard from the current president from Joe Biden in both the print statement and comments that he delivered in Rehoboth Beach, where he was for the weekend. After he delivered those remarks, he made his way back to Washington. He has been briefed throughout this morning. He's scheduled to receive another briefing from both law enforcement and Homeland Security at the White House. So there is still a vacumin which we don't have a whole lot of information. This investigation is underway. But I look at this is happening in two parallel tracks. That the investigation what happened and how this could have been? This could have happened in Butler, Pennsylvania. The second being what are the ramifications of this? Yes, for this campaign, but for the country more broadly.
Speaker 2: Tom I was sitting and you know we're going to have a good three hour conversation folks, to inform you about the immediacy of Milwaukee tomorrow. I'll be honest, that was not all that much up to speed on it, as David Gurray is, and it's here. Milwaukee is tomorrow, regularly scheduled, but frankly forever changed and is before we go to Hadriana Loincrun our reporter now in Pittsburgh. David, I was sitting there when the news came across. John Farrell informed me of the news, actually, and the first thing I thought of was George Wallace in nineteen sevent to you, I don't know why I thought specifically of George Wallace, but I think to begin the conversation, when you combine terrible assassination with assassination attempt, it's far too many across America, back to eighteen eighty one, and frankly back before that, to Lincoln and beyond.
Speaker 3: George Wallace, the governor shot while campaigning outside of Washingt d C. Back in nineteen seventy two. But you're right, I think that something that adds to what's so startling about this moment is we haven't had attempts like these on candidates for president or sitting presidents in some time. Of course, this has been a very fraught time politically. There has been political violence, I think most recently of the attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband.
Speaker 1: What happened, which.
Speaker 2: Speaker Pelosi spoke about yesterday was some.
Speaker 3: Emotion referenced in her comments yesterday as well. So there have been moments like that Steve Scalize, the Republican congressman attacked while preparing for a congressional baseball game in twenty seventeen, and of course Gabby Gifford's the congressman from Arizona. So we've had this, it has been boiling, but we haven't had these attacks on presidential candidate and presidents in sometime in some decades.
Speaker 2: As you said, Tom, let us begin our coverage. We're on YouTube this morning, of course, on Bloomberg Radio across the nation and worldwide on YouTube. We are at Bloomberg Podcasts, which is our growing digital presence. We say good morning worldwide on an Apple car Play and an Android auto as well. We get Lucky in that who was in Butler, Pennsylvania pulling the short straw covering a campaign event on a weekend, a hot, steamy weekend the summer was a former intern of Bloomberg Surveillance. I mean, you get lucky.
Speaker 1: I didn't know this lucky.
Speaker 2: When that happens. Joining us newly minted from the University of Pennsylvania and doing yeomen's duty for our White House correspondence team. Hadrianna Loewenkrenn joins us. Heydriana, both David and I don't want to go back and run the film and the incredible still pictures from yesterday, but the simple shock of the perimeter in Butler, Pennsylvania, with your experience being on the road with a former president, obviously that perimeter was too narrow, but was an a normal perimeter of protection yesterday for President Trump.
Speaker 4: Yes, thanks for having me on. I've covered many a rally in this past election cycle. Some have been indoors, some have been outdoors. There's the same layer of the Secret Service. There's the security, you know, conveyor belt, and you walk through and their officer is left and right, and everything felt as per usual. People were milling around, they were eating, they were dancing to the music. Everything felt normal until you.
Speaker 3: Know it wasn't hey, Jonna, how much of what the president was talking about in that field? And Butler was stock and trade what he said in these rallies. But for something that Tom mentioned a moment ago, as we were now on the prespice of this political convention. Over the course of the weekend, my inbox was filled with announcements from the Trump campaign of who's going to be speaking at that event in Milwaukee. Really pushing ahead to the programming that's going to take place. There was this a routine rally in that sense. How forward looking was the former president when he.
Speaker 1: Was speaking there.
Speaker 4: This did definitely appear to be you know, normal office is considered. It's you know, it's quite an event. But you know, for us, actually us as reporters and you know, a lot of political junkie is paying attention to this. The where a lot of the entry came was actually in the lead up to the event. As we had mentioned earlier, we're still waiting for a VP pick. Some thought that it was going to be announced earlier this week at a rally in Miami. You know, Florida Senator Marco Rubio was there, He was addressed several times, and then there was no announcement here, and the lead up we're trying to figure out which people will be there Ohio JD Vans from Ohio nearby, so everyone was trying to figure that out.
Speaker 5: At first.
Speaker 4: It's only happened a few minutes in. We're still looking around, will there be any surprise guests? And when we all kind of think, okay, well that hasn't happened yet, let's focus on the content of the speech, which also seems to be at that moment fairly similar, then this happened and it was just shocking, really.
Speaker 3: Heydrianna, I know that the Biden campaign has changed its tack as a result of this. They've been pulling ads off the airwaves around the country, scaling back the outreach that they're doing in the coming days. I'm very curious both how this shapes or reshapes the Trump campaign's path forward going into Milwaukee, and how you think it might reshape that event. Itself safe to say this is something that's going to come up multiple times over the course of this week, but any insight that you have into sort of how this is reshaping or reframing the Trump campaign.
Speaker 4: Right, so, as we know, they have put out a statement we're kind of going to push forward as scheduled, you know Trump. It's important to note Trump was supposed to have his sentencing in the New York Child that I was actually in New York for covering in person, So my head was at first on that and looking at how so much has changed for him, you know, obviously the sentencing, the indictments, all of that has helped him rally his base, bring in front you know, money and you know, something like this could equally, if not enhance, you know, charging you know, and really rallying his base there. So we could see a lot of conversation about that in terms of what he speaks about Thursday night. There's also, of course more you know, intrigue now, and it underscores the importance of whoever his VP pick will be a same as we know with the Democratic Party, where people are you know, calling on Biden to step aside. So I think that really will will be a lot of the conversation.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dreon, one of the advantages here, and David is so ancient he actually remembers this where a convention was a four day television extravagant from if they were polite ten in the morning, but even eight in the morning till two am, depending on when the cigars lit out. You don't know, that is the ute of America. What Milwaukee will we see? It's a modern convention, sterilized. But will it be covered differently now with this assassination attempt?
Speaker 4: You know, that's a great question. And we've already on our end been receiving you know, briefings as to what can and cannot you know, be posted on social media with credentials, and what to do should protests occur, which, as we all know already was likely before this happening. So definitely we all have to, you know, stand our guard and be very communicative. And you know, as for the hours, you know, Trump is, as you had mentioned at the top of the show, he has a lot of energy. There's a lot of programming planned. We have the speaker list out already, and so I'm assuming they're going to want to kind of go ahead and put more business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and David, jump in here and through the three hours, folks, we're going to make this a very I hope informed, but informal conversation. David, I'm sorry. Yesterday at six point thirty pm, convention protocol changed. There's no end of forbuds about it.
Speaker 3: You know, I was participating in the coverage that we were doing immediately after this on Bloomberg Radio. Jody Schneider, who heads up a lot of our political coverage on TV and radio, is already in Milwaukee, and she was saying, how you know, going into this event, there was, as you'd expect, very strict security surrounding the center of Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: And CDs reports this morning they're extending the perimeter.
Speaker 3: Perimeter is going to get wider. Security is going to get more stringent as well. I just go back to what I said a moment ago, which is there was already such an inherent fragility both to this convention, right and the Democratic National Convention. This is only going to make that even more fragile.
Speaker 2: Tom Okay, Heydrianna, Heydriana, do you travel directly to Milwaukee from Pittsburgh? Is that your itinerary?
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm headed out to thet shortly.
Speaker 2: Okay, safe travels. He Adrianna Low and crun there yesterday her direct coverage of this assassination attempt, and of course, as Sunday beckons here across the nation, it is arresting former president. Of course, we haven't mentioned yet President Biden with his comments yesterday, and you have to believe, David that President Biden will have to finesse the message further here this morning.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so.
Speaker 3: As I mentioned at the top, he gave this written statement immediately after this he was attending mass and Rehoboth Beach shortly after that, had his first briefing from law enforcement, delivered this print statement, and then traveled to the Emergency Response building in Rehoboth where he gave those comments. And I'll read briefly from what he had to say. Everybody must condemn it. Everybody and effectively said there's no place for this in America. And I will say, as I've sort of charted the responses that we've gotten from members of Congress, members of the House and Senate here in the United States, dates and world leaders as well, that is the overarching message that is ringing out here, Tom that this is something that is antithetical to American democracy and has to be called out, and indeed most most politicians have been doing that.
Speaker 2: We welcome all of you across the nation in worldwide. A special edition of Bloomberg Surveynah's David Gura and Tom Keen and our studios in New York. Adrianna Lowenkrinn in Butler yesterday joining us moments ago. Jordan Fabian will join us from the White House here across these three hours this morning. A program note, and this is a credible commitment of Bloomberg Radio. I think I can say this in all the years. It will be a Sunday set of talk shows as we've never heard on Bloomberg Radio at eleven am this morning, NBCs, Meet the Press at twelve noon, Fox News Sunday at thirteen hundred and one pm this week on ABC, and at two pm Margaret Brenn and Robert Costa and all of CBS and Face the Nation. So you will see from eight to eleven this morning with David Gura, and then from eleven until three pm we will give you the talk shows. Is all of America confronts this assassination at tent We've got many more good voices coming up, but certainly someone who's been an immense support and remarkably prescient about the dynamics of Donald Trump's Republican Party, Terry Haynes, is kind enough to join us in this eight o'clock hour with Pangaea policy. Terry, your great theme has been a loyal Trump following and the GOP from a distance deciding what to do with mister Trump a second time around. How did that change yesterday?
Speaker 6: I don't think it changed very much. Tom, and good morning to you and David. Thank you for having me. I don't think it changed very much. You've got a situation here where the you know, the race has been remarkably stable, as everybody knows. But you know, look at what happened in the last month where you have, you know, with all this caterwauling about Biden with from Democrats and everything else, and yet the national two way beauty contest poll of polls barely moves from Trump plus one to Trump plus three. These are registered voter polls in which the margin of error is at least three. You know, there's an erroneous assumption here, which is that somehow Biden voters are going to move to Trump. Biden voters would move to pretty much any other Republican with some frequency, but they've shown a lot that they're not going to move to Trump. I frankly don't expect that to change. So I think the race will end up being a lot more stable than most folks think, and certainly more than prediction markets think.
Speaker 3: Terry, let me put a question to you that I put to Hadrian a moment ago, just in a different way, and that is, how do you see the Trump campaign reflecting on what's happening here? Of course people are still processing the events that took place yesterday in Butler, But do you see it as changing in any fundamental way or reshaping the message from from the Trump campaign?
Speaker 6: Well, I don't see the I don't see the message and the policies changing, David, what I what I do. My instinct is this is that the you will see a continuation of the more presidential Trump that you saw in the first debate, in terms of how that's presented, how he presents himself. Uh you know the I think the convention goers and most people around them will be more keyed up, and there'll be a little more frenzy around this than there otherwise would have been, and the and the temperature already was going to be pretty high. Trump doesn't get anything out of stoking that. He gets a great deal more out of it than by by continuing that that more presidential look. I mean they were already going into this thinking, you know, Biden and the Democrats are thrashing. We profit by being more presidential looking and more in control and all the rest. I think Trump doubles down on that, certainly. I think you'd be smart to looking.
Speaker 3: At our top live blog on the Bloomberg and on Bloomberg dot Com, an incredible comprehensive look at what's been happening here with contributions from our colleagues all over the world. The latest here a post on truth Social from Donald Trump indicating he does plan to speak at the convention in Milwaukee. Perhaps no surprise, but the comment from the former president is I truly love our country and love you all, and look forward to speaking to our great nation this week from Wisconsin, Terry, picking up on what you said just a moment ago about I won't say this new presidential Donald Trump, but somebody who is approaching this with a discipline and seriousness that might strike some as novel, and is certainly outlined in this incredible piece by Tim Alberta in the Atlantic describing the campaign apparatus that is built up around him. That is I think it's safe to say much more professional and discipline than it was in twenty and twenty sixteen. What does he have to say in your estimation in that beach at the RNC.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, fundamentally, he has to show that he's ready to lead and that he's responsible.
Speaker 5: You know, the.
Speaker 6: Less rabble rousing, the better. I mean, as I think, I think, as you've just pointed out very well, the rabble rousing, incendiary reputation precedes him and to some extent exceeds him. I think he's got to show himself a little bit more presidential and kind of able to lead, you know, more serious. You know, you don't hide your leg under a bushel, but be a little bit more serious about what you're going to do, how you're going to do it, precisely, how you're going to drive things forward. There is a lot of there's a lot of stuff that swirls around Trump that other that that get used by the opposition to his detriment. He needs extend some time to spelling that.
Speaker 3: We're lucky to have Jordan Fabian with us now he's a White House correspondent for Bloomberg News. As we look ahead to that next briefing at ten thirty this morning, Jordan, get.
Speaker 1: Us up to speed.
Speaker 3: We've heard from the President now twice, once in print, another time in person. Do we expect to hear from him again today on this Sunday.
Speaker 7: At the moment, there's nothing expected, But I wouldn't be surprised at a moment like this as the President came out to speak after he has that briefing you just mentioned, and we gather more information about what happened, the suspect and just the overall fought political moment we're in this country. You have leaders across the spectrum calling for civility to turn down the temperature. Wouldn't be surprised if the President had something to say about that, either today or on the coming days.
Speaker 3: There was an admission at the end of that statement that the President delivered in Rohobop. She was asked, was this an assassination attempt? And he said he had an opinion, but he didn't have the facts. Walk us through how he is getting these facts. He has been surrounded by some of his closest advisor. Steve Chetty has been there, his Homeland Security advisor, Secretary of Homeland Security, Head of the Secret Service agency who is giving him information, and just describe how wide the vacuument is at this point in time as we look at this investigation, that's just you know, in its first few hours here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right. He's been briefed by his team of advisors, and as you mentioned, one of them is Live Show with Daniels. Homeland Security advisor was also Alejandro Maiorchis, who runs the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees Secret Service and the several others. And what they're doing is they're gathering information from the frontline law enforcement agencies who are working on this, so Secret Service and FBI and the Justice Department, and filtering that up to the president. And as you heard last night, the FBI at the time that they delivered that press conference at eleven forty five pm, they said they had identify the suspect, they didn't name them, and they also didn't know about the motive. So you know this, the president only knows as much as the law enforcem pages. So that's while.
Speaker 2: You're okay, you guys are the pros here, David Gerr and Jordan Fabian here, I get that there's going to be a seven year investigation and this and that, and you know, I was, actually, folks, I don't have the number yet of the distance from the shooter to mister Trump, but I was going to stand at the corner of Fifth Avenue in Central Park and see how far past the Apple store in past Bergdorf Goodman was at distance? And David, the answer is clearly that perimeter failed. What's the perimeter look like, Jordan Fabian in Milwaukee and in Chicago for the president? Is the perimeter in Chicago up to Wisconsin?
Speaker 7: No, it's a great question, Tom, And there's clear questions about how the Secret Service, who prepares these sites apparently missed this.
Speaker 8: Okay, but I get it that they missed it, and there's going to be a six year warrant commission on that. That deserves to be what happens in Milwaukee and Chicago, David, I mean, they have to be in a full scale panic.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know if it's a panic so much as just a complete reworking and reevaluation of what's happened here. And you know, your to your comment Tom about the proximity of where this shooter was, We're talking hundreds of yards and from all that we've seen a footage shot by those in the audience at this rally, uh, sort of interviews with standers by and those who were at the event afterward. This was incredibly closed. I mean, I think, Jordan, you can give us some insight into this. I know that in the immediate aftermath of this, there were lawmakers who suggested that there should be you know, a greater social security deep sorry, social scurity secret service detail tagged to the to the president elect. Can you just describe sort of the disparities so much as there is one between the two of them, I mean safe to say the former president here is traveling with an awful lot of law enforcement.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so former presidents usually have a smaller social security.
Speaker 1: You and I both I tripped you up. I apologize, Yes, Oh good, hell.
Speaker 7: You know the former president, though, I mean, he had a bigger one, given that, unlike other former presidents, he was traveling around the country doing political events, and now, of course is a nominee, so he did receive some more secret Service coverage recently, although there are lawmakers who want satisfied with that. But to Tom's question, there was some complaints about for Republican organizers in Milwaukee about this promenade that apparently exists near the main street near the convention site. You know, the Secret Service and the organizers said they work something out, but you have to imagine they're going to be re examining every single planning detail in the company weeks here, especially for Democrats and then Dave for Republicans.
Speaker 2: Jordan Fabian, thank you so much for starting early on a Sunday with us, no doubt, an exhausting day, a full day at the White House. Jordan Fabian, our White House corresponded, And again we say thank you to Hedron Alan Krinn in Pennsylvania, in Pittsburgh, south of Block for her coverage here early this morning.
Speaker 3: And just when a flag times. She's written a wonderful and very evocative piece about being at that rally. As you said, we're not dwelling on what happened there and what we see in the video and the sound of that shooting, but she has written a first person piece about being in the audience for that and what happened in the aftermath. You can find that at Bloomberg dot com and on the terminal.
Speaker 2: We are fortunate to continue with Terry Haynes a Pangaea policy. He has given us perspective over many months. Acourter even the best thing about Terry David as he sends donuts. Yeah, once in a while, it's the only reason we have him. Back on Terry, we need to get of an assassination attempt, back to some form of Caden's humor, the human comedy of America. How are we going to get back there? Terry? We did it after JFK. I would like to think they did it after James Garfield in eighteen eighty one. But in this modern media frenzy, I don't get it. How do we get back to norm.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm not sure things are. It'll take a long time. You know, it took the echoes of President Kennedy's assassination potted lots and lots of people for years and and you know, even in the seventies there was a congressional investigation into the bullet theories and all the rest. I mean, it never truly went away for a decade plus, and the reverberations are going to continue, and frankly, I think made worse but made more constant by the twenty four to seven news cycle. In the videos that we that we now get constantly, but you know how it's done. Frankly, I think is a hard lift which is started by politicians of all stripes demonstrating a little more humility and a little more sense of purpose.
Speaker 3: Terry, I want to ask you about Official Washington's response to this, and I think that probably you, like I, have been looking at tweets and posts and reactions to all of this, and one stood out to me in particular, and that's from the junior Senator from Ohio, from JD Vance, who not long after this tweeted out.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 3: Is not some isolated incident. The central premise of the Biden campaign is that Donald Trump is an authoritarian fascist. That rhetoric led directly to the assassination attempt of Donald Trump. An outlier comment, but there are others in that outlier camp. Again with the Junior Senator, and I note that we heard from House Speaker Mike Johnson that the House will conduct a full investigation of the tragic events today. You bring up what happened with John F.
Speaker 1: Kennedy.
Speaker 3: There was a period of time after that when the business of the country was figuring out what happened here and how it was going to carry on. Here you have some politicians already pushing ahead to what I can only assume will be rather circused, like hearings investigating this. I mean that hearing the House Committee on Oversting account Billy hearing scheduled on July the twenty second.
Speaker 1: What do you make of that?
Speaker 3: And as we talk, as Tom springs up through, how we process this and move away and move ahead from it? How do you do it when you have these kind of countervailing factors at play, Well, it makes.
Speaker 6: It tougher, you know, there and then there's there. There is a there's such a reflex built into so many politicians of all stripes I should say. I mean, I you know, I find Senator Vance's comments over the top. But but then again, uh, you know, some of the things you say it says are demonstrable. I mean they're true, and you know the same of the other side. And I'm not engaging in what about it is You're to to point out that both sides are way over their skis. Which is why I get to humility. You know, I was asked on your air the day after January sixth, what I thought should happen and I said what I just said this morning. Politicians need to demonstrate more humility there, and there's plenty of them out there that reflexively aren't doing it today. These people need to be a lot more humble and frankly, I think a lot more sober, and and that will help us get past this moment.
Speaker 2: During the time left, I want to talk about the president's constituency, the people President Trump's constituency, the people that were there yesterday. And I think that we all understand President Biden has an encyclopedic knowledge of eastern Pennsylvania, the path here and you and I talked I think forty eight hours ago. It seems about the seventeenth Congressional District, Connor Lamb's district, and how President Biden has lost those people. Those people were in that audience yesterday. Give us your political picture of western Pennsylvania from Bethel Park south of Pittsburgh, up to Pittsburgh where Adrianna Loewencren came in moments ago, and then up north on the New York border to Butler. Who were the audience yesterday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a everybody remembers the old James Carvel comment about you know there being the sort of four dots of blue and Pennsylvania surrounded by Alabama, Western Pennsylvania. What Western Pennsylvania is politically today is a donut. The doughnut is a little sea of blue. And then that that city is the city of Pittsburgh in a few immediate suburbs surrounded by an absolute sea of red. And these people are are Historican. I'm from there, which you know doesn't give me any more Jews here, but it's but I spent time there all my life, and what those people are are historic.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: John Kennedy, Franklin Roosevelt, Scoop Jackson, Democrats who was spent the last two generations, be perfectly disappointed.
Speaker 2: I'm going to you're fired up. We're gonna stay on this theme. David Gerra, he just hit my childhood from where you said, David Gerr, with all you've done in Washington, how did the Democrats lose? Butler, Pa, That's the heart of this election.
Speaker 3: I'm going to appine here, and Terry, you should feel free to jump in and set me straight if I if I get this wrong. But I think that you had a large swath of this population that grew disillusioned with how they were being looked at and taken care of by those in power in Washington. I just think about the current crucible that we're in here as we as we look at the state of the steel industry, in particular in Pennsylvania, what happened when a Japanese company made an overture to take over US steel, a response to that, and how this is for all that Terry describes a very contested area in this country. I mean, you have Joe Biden, also a son of Pennsylvania, vowed son of Pennsylvania, trying to appeal to voters in this area, trying to reclaim them, trying to say that he's one of them as well. That's my sense of it. Terry, Am I right there? When do you see that transition is happening when you when you saw that movement away from being straight and unquestionable Democrats to to turning purple and then I think more welcoming of the Republican Party.
Speaker 1: In Western Pa.
Speaker 6: Yeah, David, I think you're I think you're I think you're right about that. I think also you've got two things going on. One, people are hugely disappointed and I think feel marginalized by how very little was done to try to reach out to them. You know, the Democratic outreach tends to be in that area, tends to be over the last thirty years or so, tends to be you know, banging on kind of the greatest hits of past industry combined with marginalizing, marginalized programs for marginalized people. Well, we'll work or retrain you, we'll do this, we'll do that, we'll do the other thing. And that's number one. Number two, there's a real concern being the old style of patriots as many of these folks are, that Democratic parties losing them by frankly talking about, you know, other groups at the expense of kind of dealing with the bedrock problems of the country. And then you also get a sense that, you know that Biden administration Democrats generally are attacking the economic engine that exists in that region now, which is energy, which is fracking and the like. And you know, and they take very personally the idea that the new economic engine is something that's under attack by Democrats. I think a lot of that combines to flip them. You have only to look south to west Virginia does see how quickly that sort of went and goes.
Speaker 3: Terry, I'd love to ask you lastly here just to comment on the historical resonance of this and maybe help us think through how this reshapes American politics broadly. When I was living in Washington, when i'd go up Connecticut Avenue, I'd look over at the Hilton there think about what happened in nineteen eighty one. It still seemed very resonant. It was a place on the map because of that, like other landmarks in Washington or I'm curious if you feel the same way and how you see what happened yesterday in Pennsylvania reshaping American attitudes toward politics. We know that Donald Trump welcomes big crowds. I was thinking, and Amy Morris, our colleague, was leading our coverage yesterday, and asked me a very good question about this, going back to January sixth, when he was kind of welcoming of all, dismissive of the fact that there needed to be metal detectors for the rally that he had on the National Mall, then playing a little fast and loose with security there, but again really welcoming large crowds, enthusiasm for politics, his brand of politics, how does this reshape that at all? And how do you process how do you think that this will resonate going forward?
Speaker 6: You know, I'm with you on the history. You know, I'm like the kid in the sixth sense, where you know, I see dead people all the time. I live in Alexandria, Virginia, which used to brand itself the most historic town in the United States, home of George Washington, Robert Lee, others. And you know, I see it everywhere. I saw you have the same residence as that you do. You know what I get in Washington today, though, is a is a sense where you know, the politics are are kind of curdled into team Red, Team blue, you know, reflexively branded stuff, pursued and purvayed mostly by people who are who are invested in that, and in very little, very little of thinking outside the box and thinking of the national interest, in thinking about how to have to move forward. And I think this probably for the country at large, I think that probably only disasser base that perception.
Speaker 2: Terry, thank you for your generous time this Sunday morning. Terry Haynes appenzea folks writing exceptionally bright notes. You can see them out on linked in I really can't say enough about a follow on LinkedIn as being a value add from Terry Haynes a Pangaea. There's a blue here. David and I have decided we're really not going to go back and relive what we all were riveted by for five hours last night. We're going to look forward. And in Milwaukee is the person piece. There's people, folks that piece together twenty and forty people and keep it going. The queen of all nighters for Bloomberg News is Tyler Kendall in Milwaukee right now leading our convention technical structure. And there's a small sentence at eleven PM last night that I missed this evening President Biden spoke to former President Trump. David that slipped through the late night that the two gentlemen spoke.
Speaker 3: And it bears us thinking about these are two politicians who have a great deal of enmity toward each other on the campaign trail, and there was something extraordinary about that. Extraordinary in the sense that it hasn't happened before. Joe hasn't called Donald, and they haven't spoken by phone before. So this is a remarkable moment that took place, and you could see the gravity of it. As Joe Biden spoke in Delaware saying he tried to reach him. Donald Trump was with his doctors. Then he was unable to. But several times during that very brief statement in Delaware, present by An emphasized that he wanted to get him on the phone, hope to get him on the phone. And as you say, Tom, we got that readout saying that the two of them had spoken. No more detail besides that, but it's significant enough that the two of them spoke.
Speaker 2: David Gurra and Tom Keen a special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance from our world headquarters in New York. Good conversation to come as we move forward. Professor Schuller Brown University on the scope in the reach of our history of assassination, an assassination attempt. We do that. Next, we'rend Bloomberg Radio worldwide and across the nation on a Sunday morning.
Speaker 9: This is Bloomberg Surveillance with Tom Keen and Paul Sweeney on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Good morning everyone, Tom Keane with my special guest David ger Of course the big take out on Bloomberg Podcast, but so much more. David Gerry here today on this horrific Sunday morning after an assassination attempt, with this wonderful political coverage. All he's done for NBC and NPR, and we're thrilled to have them back with Bloomberg as well. David, you're always way more prepared than I am. What is your insight of what needs to be done by the Trump administration in the next twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: I'll pick up on what Terry said, and I was struck by the renaissance of his comments, residents of his comments, and he brought up the fact that what he said today is right in line with what he said after January sixth, and so he's calling for the rhetoric to be calmer and politicians to take a step back, wait a while to comment beyond just expressing their thanks to law enforcement and good wishes to the former president. But I think we have seen in recent weeks, as we were discussing with Terry, a very disciplined Trump campaign. He hasn't been out there fulminating on the campaign trail. He's been content to let Democrats battle it out over their prospects and what's going to happen in Chicago. I expect that we will have this reframed for us in that marquee speech in Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: And this is thursdents Thursday night.
Speaker 2: But they got to get from Tuesday. They got to get Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and they've got the usual victims lined up the speech. Is anyone listening to those speeches anymore? I mean, Wendy Schiller remembers David Girl when we hung on every single word within the pageantry from where you sait, David, the pageantry's gone.
Speaker 3: Right happened yesterday. There was a strong effort by the former president to make this must CTV. For lack of a better term, he hasn't named his vice presidential pick. And I think that that is the thing that most of America would have and will seize on now, is who that individual is going to be and what he or she has to say on the stage in Milwaukee, and.
Speaker 2: This Sunday morning across America, on Bloomberg, on many of her other services as well, David Gerr and Tom Keene's special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance, which means we need a special guest. She is at Brown University. Wendy Schiller joins us a definitive book on American civics, a sense of history that folds into the present day, in our future, Professor Schiller, good morning. When I first heard this news, John Farroh actually called me to tell me of the news, and I thought of George Wallace in nineteen seventy two. We can take our violence of assassination, an assassination attempt, back to Garfield, to Lincoln and frankly beyond, Professor Schiller, why is America so violent in its politics?
Speaker 10: Well, you know, I thought about that too. I thought about, of course Juanna Lagan as well. And I was grateful to see from President Trump emerged relatively okay, but he was in fact shot in the ear. And then the said of having attendees killed and injured is you know, really just brings us back exactly to these traumatic moments in American political life where we say, how could that happen? And yet it happens very frequently in America, even relative to any other country, at least in the twentieth century and certainly the twenty first century. And we have a culture. You can argue, it's a gun culture, and that guns are too easy to get. There's this sort of AR fifteen argument that's going around. However, as we all know, those prior acts of violence were not committed with AR fifteens, so they've still happened anyway, and we have to ask ourselves that we have this weird juxtaposition between peaceful transitions of power, which we have had with January sixth, with some exception, but that's still happened relatively peacefully after that, and the rest of the world, which has not had that history a peaceful transition of power. So it's this really stark difference between our culture and the violence we see everyday, gun violence but also local violence, and then our system, which compared to us, the world, you know, remains very peaceful.
Speaker 1: And orderly, doctor Schuler.
Speaker 3: I was in a diner in Brooklyn last night when this happened and looked up at the screen and saw those fifteen seconds being.
Speaker 1: Replayed over and over again.
Speaker 3: And I've got three kids eleven and younger watching it with me, and fielded a lot of difficult questions as a result of that. What happened, How did this happen? What does it mean? Is this politics? You teach the American presidency other classes to brown undergrads older than my kids, but I imagine they have similar questions. They haven't lived through this, They don't have a memory of nineteen eighty one. What do you say to younger people in this country about the state of politics today. What's something like what happened yesterday means for the shape of American politics today?
Speaker 10: Well, I mean our obviously you know this too. Our political rhetoric has in fact declined. We have had periods of time when in the press people said horrible thing about politicians, going back to John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. It's not that that is new. It's that it's not just politicians, it's people and everyday voters, people sort of not having family conversations, you know, not associating with people because of their political affiliation. Called that negative partisanship. It's hatred that's now been really cultivated of the other side, and we dehumanize the other side when we hate, and that element has intensified in the last ten to fifteen years. Sadly, your kids, very sadly, and on the kids that I'm teaching, have lived through school gun violence in a way that we did not when I was a kid. So their world is populated with gun violence. So they are more used to that than we are, so we look at it as political violence as a threat, But that generation says, will I be safe going to school? So I think these two things have come together in this moment in time.
Speaker 3: Is there optimism in Providence that this can change? I think to what was actually kind of a quaint moment just a couple of days ago, when you had this transition of power, peaceful transition of power in London. You heard from Rischie Sunak acknowledging political differences with the guy who defeated him, with Kiir Starmer, and a very generous speech from Kiers Starmer when he was named Prime Minister as well, And there was something again both quaint but also refreshing about that. Can you envision in America when we get back to that, when things aren't as fraud and there is that kind of comedy c u mit y that we haven't had here in a long time.
Speaker 10: You know, you know, I was listening this morning about Joe Wilson. When Joe Wilson consonan in South Carolina, Have you lie?
Speaker 2: Same?
Speaker 1: From the State of the Union address that President.
Speaker 4: Radwy Union you lie?
Speaker 10: So I thought I was trying to sort of say, when did this happen? You know ten people on the left or people who don't like Trump say, well, Trump elevated the rhetoric and it's his fault, you know, his speech is his locker upper Hillary. But no, you know, we had this under Obama and it started to decline, and on the left and the right participates in this. I think it's become, unfortunately bipartisan. So it's not directly attributed just to Donald Trump in twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen. It was happening before that, this sort of real visceral anger that really broke all the barriers at school board meetings. You have people screaming hateful things. We just didn't have that twenty years ago. So am I optimistic that can turn the corner? I do think depends on you know, it swings in American politics. So I do think there's a limit that people will tolerate in terms of this rhetoric.
Speaker 2: On a Sunday morning at Professor Schiller and of course the heritage here of George Washington traveling up near your providence to Newport, Rhode Island, and the Jewish synagogue in the late eighteenth.
Speaker 10: Century, the district synagogue.
Speaker 2: The distance of this shot that missed the president wounding the vice former president wounding him is a distance from the Fifth Avenue Synagogue here in New York City, past Saint Thomas Fifth Avenue, the church of Norman Rockwell's painting, down to Saint Patrick's Cathedral. I mean, where with the Milwaukee Convention, the president at church are coming out of church when he learns of former President Trump's attempt at assassination. How does religion change with this assassination attempt? Is a debate in a construct in America.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean, you know you're tell me you're really trying something to the breakdown of local communities. You know, you know it got exacerbated under COVID. But we used to see each other in contexts that were different than politics, work for example, church, synagogue, mosque, school, social gatherings. We used to interact with each other far more, you know, personally, and we don't anymore. And the ability to dehumanize. We've seen this with mass shootings and young men. You know, we see this now people are objects, they're not human beings, and we don't interact enough with each other outside of politics where we recognize that we have bonds that connect us, and that is a sociological phenomenon that's been happening with the rise of technology and also obviously the pandemic. You know, people talk about going back to work and how nice it is to work at home. Yes, we can all talk about those advantages if you're lucky enough to have them, but they do degrade social bonds in society, and politicians can't fix that. So we're looking to politicians to fix something that is really deeper and broader than what they can handle.
Speaker 3: Doctor Schuler, you're heading up the Watson Institute here for a few more months, Cather on an inn basis, deserve it sabbatical.
Speaker 10: After that, I got a temporary raise. Yeah, very good, very good, Yeah for the next year.
Speaker 3: But you're thinking a lot, I imagine, and talking a lot about international relations. And I was struck again following this news. How quickly and in what droves we heard from world leaders about this. Give me your perspective on how this is resonating around the world based on what we've read, what we've seen so far from world leaders. Obviously, there are opinions about the proliferation of guns in this country and violence and the rhetoric that we've been talking about. But what's your sense of how other world leaders are watching this unfold.
Speaker 10: Well, I think there's a general sense. I mean, we've seen, you know, a punch in the face or the shoulder. I think in Copenhagen, at the primes of Denmark, we've seen the assassination in other parts of the country attempted the world like we've seen in Latin America, we've seen in Eastern Europe. So we are seeing political violence all over the world elevate to people who like I'm going I'm gonna get punched on the streets of Copenhagen. So there's that, right, So I don't think there's that much surprise. And then of course there's the gun culture in America. But I think the fear among leaders is that the Trump rhetoric about international relations, and then when Trump can elevate that rhetoric in a way that's fairly feisty, you know, it may concern them that this will solidify support around Trump, and that Trump will win. The election's over and it's already done, and that we will be living with this on a world stage for the next four year. So I think international leaders are really trying to see how this assassination attempt, you know, affects the election going forward, and does it intensify the you know, the negative partnership, sort of the divide in the society.
Speaker 2: Wendy Schuler, thank you so much. Professor Schiller at Brown University. I'm sure we'll hear from her as we progress to Milwaukee and Chicago as well. She has expertise on Capitol Hill and the legislative processes of the nation, but far more understands the pulse of the apparatus of our American politics forward. She's with Veda Partners. Henrietta, your thoughts when you learned of this in the vicinity of the six thirty hour yesterday evening.
Speaker 11: Thank you so much for having me this morning. It was shocking, you know, what should have been a relatively quiet weekend going into a lot of fanfare and pomp and circumstances of the convention ended up being something that I would say, my first take way after being you know, just sort of shocked and awed by the entire event, and you know, thankful that everybody was safe, including the former president, was really just the inevitability of it. It just feels so tense around America. I mean, that's certainly what blew up around me as this is happening. Was just I can't believe that it happened, and yet at the same time I absolutely can. Things are so fraught and tensions are so high that that was really the first takeaway and the one that cemented in my mind after last night.
Speaker 3: Talk more about that, if you would. I'm on the same page as you, and I wonder if that's because of the way this general election is being framed. We're hearing of it as a very pivotal election, of course, one where democracy is at stake, where there's the risk of authoritarianism. If you listen to the Democrats, if you listen to the Republicans, Donald Trump on that debate stage talking about the very real prospects as he sees them of World War three?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: Is it simply that discreetly or is it something that's more of a consequence of a kind of slow evolution toward of a messier and were fraud and more antagonistic brand of politics in this country.
Speaker 11: I think you don't have to single either of those things out. I mean, they're both very valid. You can go back to January sixth, which is obviously something that you know, we saw and there were certainly deaths, but our main takeaway was, gosh, it could have been so much worse. I mean, how many senators and lawmakers to be here say that exact rephrase, you know, just expecting the worse and being grateful that it wasn't that more more bad than that. And that's that's really the takeaway that I had from last night, thankful that it wasn't worse. I think that sort of sense of everybody's out to get me is definitely the perspective from President former President Trump. You know, the trials and the convictions and the felony counts, everybody's out to get me kind of vibe, And then you get it from the president's side. At the same time, you know, the elites are against me. I mean, it's not quite the same thing, but there's just this victimhood sense and this view that everybody is being hilleried against I am the president or thesident.
Speaker 2: This is brilliant. This is why we love having Henry Treson in the word. I thought of somewhat like the victim that Henriette's talking about. David Kerry is just this sense of grievance across America, in our markets, in our discussion of Bloomberg elites and the haves asset owners in America, there's almost a celebration of prosperity right now. And this is at the same time a nation, both parties feeling grievance.
Speaker 3: Both parties feeling grievance. And Henriette, if I could, I'd love to go back to sort of your experience working on Capitol Hill. You've worked on the north side, in the south side, the House and the Senate, And in the hours since this attack, we have seen comments from elected representatives calling for committee hearings and investigations. Is that healthy as you see it so soon after this to kind of move ahead to that type of investigation and sort of what do you want to see the role of official Washington and the legislative branch playing here as we learn more information.
Speaker 11: I think it's appropriate to hold hearings and you know, make sure that the safety of any of our elected officials is paramount. I fear for that all the time. I'm one of the kinds of people who really respects a lot of our elected officials that I want them to be safe so that more people will join the fray and we get better talent to join the ranks of the House and the Senate members. I think that serves America in general. So if there is to be hearings and to discuss the role of the Secret Service, I mean, all the things that went right, you know, the president, the former president is safe, he is sound. You know, that's that's the testament to their good work. I don't know that committee hearings being weaponized is good for America. That's certainly something that we have seen. I certainly don't want to make a martyr of the shooter or anything along those lines. So I hope that that's handled with care. It's a fraught situation, and I think members are right to use whatever power or they have to try to, you know, really suss out all the details of the situation, because that's what the American public wants to see. They want to know what happened, and that's the role of Congress, and that's the role of oversight.
Speaker 2: I've got to do reporting here now, Henrietta Trace. I want to ask a delicate question among our institutions of law enforcement in your Washington is a Secret Service respected?
Speaker 11: I think January sixth called a lot of the Secret Service into question, you know, with the rally and with the licenses that have been granted. I think there's so much of that to go around, and I hope that they're able to answer a lot of questions this morning and in the days ahead, because they're going to get along.
Speaker 2: David, your thoughts on that difficult question, You've lived it down. There Are they respected? Like you know, I think of CIA, FBI and the rest of the alphabet soup, I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I think that they are.
Speaker 3: I think that anyway is right that there have been questions about them, and certainly there's been some scandal within the department in these recent years. And you know, a person whose name has come up here in the last few hours is Kim Cheedle, who's the head of the Secret Service. And you had somebody like Elon Musk saying that she should step down, noting that she worked at PepsiCo.
Speaker 1: Well, she spent.
Speaker 3: Thirty years at the Secret Service before that. So I think there is going to be deserved scrutiny on the agency here in the in the weeks to come, weeks and months to come. But you know, I watching that video so many times, as we all did, because it played over and over again. One had to admire the integrity of those who work for that agency in moving quickly to surround the president get him off that stage into a car safely. These are people who do take an oath to protect the president of the United States, and that is a very grave thing.
Speaker 2: Tom, Henrietta, I want to talk about your Capitol Hill, and I guess we're not. We'll say, ask pure political questions now, But when you have Henrietta Treys.
Speaker 1: In the phone, that's temptation to do so.
Speaker 2: Percolating out there in the Gura zeitgeist is a Republican sweep? How do you interpret people claiming or predicting, or hoping or against a Republican sweep?
Speaker 11: November fifth, Well, I think that the twenty twenty election is a lot closer than people remember. I think that it took a global pandemic to have Joe Biden win, and I think that right now the Democratic Party is way behind where their voters are. And when that is the case, you either get to press turnout or you get the independent and moderate voter base, which decides all American elections in just a handful of states saying you know what, I'm not voting for the Democratic Party right now, and they either stay home or they vote for Donald Trump. And you have to think that there's a rally around the flag moment right now stemming from an assassination attempt, which is so jarring to so many people. It hasn't happened in decades in America, and it's something that I think will serve hopefully for a moment of solemnity and resignation is the last thing that you want, but definitely a sense of you know, this decision has serious consequences. The Democrats are in extreme disarray, and I think that the base case on the street right now and certainly within VC, is that this is pretending a Republican wave. And what's been interesting about that, and I have struggled with, is that statistically our odds have been ninety percent or higher that the Senate goes Republican, and it's only a five percent chance in my view, that the House will flip to Democratic control on the event that President former President Trump wins. Now, it's not just a statistical red wave because of geography and which states are up this cycle. It just so happens that they're all in swing states where if the president win, if former president wins, he's going to win those Senate seats as well. It's really now more how many seats are we talking talking not just fifty one fifty three Senate seats, but fifty five to fifty six? Are we talking Republican gains in the House of you know, two hundred and twenty five seats? Are we talking two hundred and forty seven seats? That's the distinction that Democrats have to face right now that it's not just a statistical red leave that we would expect to see given what's at stake and what seats are on, But is this a tsunami style election? And I think that's what's happening in the race right now with Joe Bidens and systems that he's going.
Speaker 2: To stay in Well, the upside of it all. Henrietta Trace, thank you so much for joining us. Your perspective incredibly valued. She's like when we put her on the podcast Single Best Idea, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it goes right, Single Best Podcast.
Speaker 2: It's just like, you know, she's a star. Henrietta Trace, thank you so much. To show you how folks, the world's been turned upside down. Steve Kernaky over at NBC just announces they're going to delay their poll. They're not they were going to have a big fanfare today and announce that I Meet the Press. You will here Meet the Press. I'm Blue Olomberg Radio, along with all the talk shows. Arguably the most important day we've ever had of this service. Eleven am, Meet the Press, twelve noon, Fox News Sunday, one pm, The ABC This Week with George Stephanovlis and Face a Nation at two pm. And thank you to Margaret Brennan for her commitment to all that we do here. But David, that shows how things are upside down. A poll with fanfare, delight.
Speaker 1: And reasonably so.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're just left to wonder how this can reshape things and change the direction of this campaign. So we will watch closely, listen closely to all of those shows. I saw Senator Graham, Senator Sanders scheduled to be un Meet the Press, very interested to hear what they have to say about the political atmosphere and what this means for the culture of America going forward.
Speaker 2: Our conversation this morning to all of you across the nation worldwide, is we're hoping a measured conversation about our American politics, our American violence in this assassination attempt. Part of that is people with perspective and experience. David, Girl, why don't you bring in our esteem. Rick Davis here, with all of his work with Senator McCain and with President Reagan years ago.
Speaker 3: Had a familiar face on Bloomberg's balance of Powerstone we hear from many days of the week giving us perspective in real time on this campaign and politics in Washington. He's a partner at Rick Davis. We were talking about what this might mean for the politics the campaign going forward. We're going to spend some time with you here after the break, but in the minute that we have here, what does the former president need to say when he takes the stage in Milwaukee. How does he take stock and give us his impression of what's happened here and how it reshapes the campaign going forward. What do you need to hear from him in Milwaukee?
Speaker 12: I think going into yesterday, both sides had really hot rhetoric. It was divissive on both sides, Democrats and Republicans. Heat of the campaign, very close selection, do it out, and I think this is the moment for a pivot. I think, you know, Donald Trump can take the high ground, and it's been offered to him. It's a moment in historic time and it's going to be interesting to see how they capitalize on it. And by the way, distinctly different than how this convention has been organized message wise going into tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Rick Davis, we're going to come back. I don't want to squeeze you too short here, mister Davis in Milwaukee, of course, all of his service to the Republican Party. It's going to be a piercing conversation. You're going to hear it. To get us to ninet thirty, we'll come back with Rick Davis. I don't know how you get from Milwaukee to Chicago. I mean, things, David Gerr have just been absolutely turned upside down.
Speaker 3: Feels very day by day, and I just think of the circumstances that the Democratic Party is in, the current president is in after that disastrous debate, so many people saying the way to quell those anst move things forward, be out there more, take more questions, do more campaigning. He's now entering a period when the focus is going to shift squarely on the Republican Party as we moved to this convention in Milwaukee. He has this opportunity for an interview with Lester Holt on Monday. But then there is a kind of necessary quiet that we'll set in, and I'm very curious to hear from Rick when we come back, sort of what his counsel would be to the current president about how to play a role in this very vital and important conversation about what this means for the country going forward.
Speaker 2: Lots to speak about here are Nancy Cook so experienced with Bloomberg. Writing in her headline this morning, she reports bloody defiant Trump's image pumps up Gop Bass after shooting, and of course all that having to do with their coverage in Milwaukee. Joe Matthew's scheduled to be with us here this morning, as well as David Gera mentioned Balance of Power headlining our coverage tomorrow in Milwaukee and tonight special coverage from five to seven pm worldwide on Bloomberg Television and Bloomberg Radio. David Gerry and Tom Keen on the Sunday Morning across the nation, a special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance.
Speaker 9: This is Bloomberg Surveillance with Tom Keane and Paul Sweeney on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Good morning everyone, David and Tom Keena special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance from our road headquarters in New York. But we're utilizing all the resources of Bloomberg. A special thanks to Hedrianna Laurencren, who was in Butler, Pennsylvania yesterday. She is one of our newest freshly minted reporters. And you know, David, you think about you come out of University Pennsylvania. She was an intern for Bloomberg Surveillance. Worst job on the planet and we need you in the crucible of newsgathering to get it done. And someone like her and many others in Butler delivered the goods.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I can't say enough good things about the strength of our coverage of the former president's campaign. Stephanie Laie also traveling with the former president, and of course Jennifer Jacobs, who no one knows that this former president better than she had contributed to our average as well. So incredibly strong to say. Adriana making her way from Western Pennsylvania now to Milwaukee as we are on the Sunday morning in.
Speaker 2: Milwaukee, and I want to frame out who this guy is. If you are from Arizona, he's a household name, a major advisor to the politics of the gentleman from Arizona. No, not Bury Goldwater, but Senator John McCain and also his public service to the sea of Ronald Reagan. Do you recall the assassination tempt at the Hilton Hotel of President Reagan? Can you give us a vignette and anecdote of that horrific.
Speaker 12: Afternoon as at the tom and we were assembled in a meeting actually right across from the White House in Lafayette Square, and somebody came in and said the President had been shot. Nobody knew what condition.
Speaker 13: He was in.
Speaker 12: We immediately, you know, turned on our television sets, and this was an era where we didn't have instant news, so there were special reports and we immediately went over to the old Executive Office building next to the west wind of the White House and met up with some of our colleagues. We knew all the advanced people and secret service and his detail and protecting him. Great friends of mine from the campaign were involved in the incident, and it was a moment of stillness, you know, where people didn't know what was going to happen next it was. It was actually very reminiscent of yesterday afternoon when the president went down, Former President Trump went down. Secret Service were all over him, and it just reminded me of the scenes from Ronald Reagan where he was also tackled by the Secret Service and a protective crouch and thrust into the car. And at the time everyone was assuming that he was okay, and little did we know President Reagan had suffered a gunshot wound life threatening, and in this case it was less harmful, but nonetheless dangerous. All I could think about was, you know, that bullet came so close to creating a national disaster. And so we have a moment here we can step back and say, look, is this really the politics we want? Is this the kind of environment we want to operate in. I've done a lot of presidential campaigns over the years, and this one had descended into a very dark place. And I'm hopeful that maybe this is a moment where both the professionals, the candidates, and the public could take a step back.
Speaker 3: Rick Davis, you bring up that resonance. I think a lot of us had the same thought yesterday, just about how we're talking about a matter of inches, if not centimeters here, and things could have been a world worse. But I think about what we learned about the aftermath of that attempt on Ronald Reagan's life and the moments of humor that took place in the emergency room when he kind of paraphrased Jack Dempsey and told his wife told Nancy Reagan, Honey, I forgot to duck. And we learned about how he processed what had happened, the attempt on his life, and then worked to move the nation forward. What can we learn from what happened back in nineteen eighty one? What can we Tom and I and our listeners, but the country as well. And again, I'm looking for your prescription here of sort of how we process what's happened and how we turned that into something good and get the kind of change that you're talking about, the kind of cooler rhetoric that might prevail here.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think we look to our leaders to give us that kind of guy. And I think that's why we're in the place we're at, because it's been very easy for our national leadership whether it's the party out of power party in power to demagogue and and and create fear and govern that way. And I think Ron Reagan showed us the way. As you point out, he used humor to to kind of calm the situation. And I thought I was looking very intently at President Biden's comments last night. People tune in, they want to know that there's not something bigger happening around all this, Right, you wonder is this just one event of the series. And I thought he did a good job. This is what Joe Biden does well.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 12: We've been very critical of President Biden for a lot of the things he's not been doing well lately, but in this case, he was empathetic, you know, even just the slight twist where he referred to Donald Trump as Donald. It was a nuance that I'm not sure he actually intended to do, but I think at that point, when he was standing talking to the American public trying to calm their fears, you know, he used a very colloquial address for the former president, I thought that was from the heart. So I think it'll be interesting to see the Biden campaign withdrew all their ads. Of course, they were all negative attack ads on Donald Trump, very appropriate for the times. And so the next step will be Donald Trump's He'll arrive here tomorrow and in Milwaukee to address his supporters what would normally be red meat week. You know, normally we'd hear every attack on the president to try and you get excited that the shock troops of the Republican Party, and it'll be interesting to see how that gets modulated if it does. This is a moment to address that kind of rhetoric. And I think the Democrats and the Biden campaign have done the first step in withdrawing these attack ads and going on national television and asking for unity, and I would I wouldn't be surprised that the President Trump does the same thing and uses this moment to address the nation in a different way. I know for sure that the Program Committee of the Convention is rewriting a lot of speeches today, and so there are a lot of really smart guys sitting in a dusk trying to crank out a completely different program. That's what they had going into this convention.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, a whole different agenda.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you about what I mentioned when we went to break just a few minutes ago, and that is, as you're saying, just a moment ago, you have you have present bind pulling those ads, scaling back the outreach that they're making to voters. There is this Marque interview that's going to take place tomorrow in Texas with NBC News. But speak, if you would, to the pickle that the White House finds itself in now going quite in the way that you think rightly they should be doing, the focus shifting here to Milwaukee and the Republican National Convention, but all the while still this specter of needing to do more, of needing to be out there, needing to show that this president has the competency and capacity to serve a second term in the White House. There have been so many advisors like yourself, suggesting that what Joe Biden needs to do is more be out there, more talking, more reaching out to voters. More safe to say, this complicates things so greatly.
Speaker 12: Yeah, this is going to change everything for both sides. And I think it may anure to the benefit of the Democratic campaign because right now they're in a tail spin. The turmoil that has existed in the Biden campaign since the debate performance that was subpar at best, has really question whether or not they can even consider continue his candidacy. This will freeze everything. The combination of this incident, an assassination attempt on a former president, and the Republican Convention here will really change the spotlight. It's all been on Joe Biden. And you know, we've watched his every public appearance with holding our breath for fear that we see that same kind of performance. And he's and he's done better, right, and he's stabilized a bit, But this gives him a breather. This, this will change the focus from him to Donald Trump, and our eyes will not be focused on Biden and his campaign for some time. It'll take at least a week for this convention to go through its pieces. The President, to take an advantage of the situation, finds himself in the entire world, will be riveted to his speech here on Thursday night, accepting the nominate and putting the campaign on a course a new dialogue with the American public, and it'll be probably the most important speech Donald Trump is in his entire life.
Speaker 2: Rick Davis, I have to ask this, it's a little bit off, but unfortunately I don't think it's off full disclosure, folks. My father was a life member of the NRA. He was someone who adored hunting and being out in the fields, and that Rick Davis, you grew up with twenty Mule Team, Ronald Reagan, and he loved to get on the horse and go through the thunder of California showing the West. You are intimately affected by an edge of purple strait Arizona, where there is a culture of the West. We saw yesterday the continuing culture of weapons, of guns, of ak whatever's in America. Can this be a seismic moment where we finally figure out this affair with weaponry in America?
Speaker 12: You know, Tom, it's a really good question, and we ask this question every time there's a school shooting, but this.
Speaker 2: Is different, as the school shootings are appalling, But you know, this changes the dialogue, I would respectfully suggest, I would hope.
Speaker 12: So I've expected some kind of event that would finally force an open and honest discussion about the use of military grade weapons in society. And this is a riveting moment to have that conversation. Unfortunately, coming at the tail end of a Congress, at the end of an administration, and in the heat of a campaign, it's going to blunt that conversation. I can't imagine anything productive happening in Washington, d C. Right now, considering the state of our politics. Maybe this is the moment where everyone takes a step back, and I think that's going to be completely in the category of something Donald Trump is responsible for. He has this chance. Democrats can't do. Democrats can't go to the well and say another example of why we need to ban assault weapons. Only Donald Trump could actually shake the foundation of that Second Amendment crowd within our party to say, Okay, we've had enough and we have to do something about this. And certainly he'd find common cause with most of Congress right now, who have been on the precipice of doing something about this but just hasn't had the catalyst like this to take real action. But the wins against it are strong. The timing is bad. From a legislative point of view, getting anything out of Congress, as we've seen in the last six months, is virtually impossible, but it doesn't mean that it can't can't still happen, And I think that's part of the message that Donald Trump as the opportunity to give to the convention, because it's only when you change your own party that things happen. You can you never make progress by attacking the opposition. That's sort of standard operating procedure. And what I used to love about John McCain is he believed in poks on both the houses. He would have he would go after Republicans as much as he would go after Democrats, and and and that made it effective because his intentions were honest in that regard.
Speaker 3: Rick, very quickly here you bring up your former boss, the late Senator John McCain, And I think there were a few people who warned about our deteriorating politics more and more forcefully than he did. When you look at what's happened since he was issuing those clarion calls about where things were headed, how dark things were likely to become. Do you see a missed opportunity? Was this kind of an inevitable rolled downhill to where we are today? Or was there something more that you think could have been done in a particular moment, that politicians of both stripes could have done more.
Speaker 12: Oh? Sure, in retrospect, you can always find moments that could have it could have been different, right, even at the start of the Biden presidency, he actually could have I've heard this many times. I thought it was brilliant. I think my friend Met Romney had said something about, you know, Biden should have just pardoned Trump, right. Could you imagine the tumult we would have missed if there had not been this aggressive effort to prosecuting regardless of whether you know, you think he's you're innocent, and of course he's been proven guilty by a jury of his peers. But that put the country through a very, very difficult time. I just remember here we are in Wisconsin, the presidence of mine of my friend John McCain, at a town hall in the heat of the campaign, and a woman looks at him and in a big crowd, and she says, while he's on camera, you know that Barack Obama is a Muslim and he's out to hurt American And John McCain stood up in a group of supporters and said, no, man, no, he's a good man, he's a good family man, and we just have a disagreement on how to run the country. I mean, the presence of mind to do that in the heat of the moment is what distinguishes good politicians from great politicians, and I think this is a moment in time. This is the Trump opportunity to do the same thing standing in a group of his supporters on Thursday night. He can change the political dynamic right now.
Speaker 2: Rick Davis, thank you for decades of perspective, Rick Davis. Of course, with Joe Matthew and Kayley Lines in Milwaukee, speaking of what you get a short moment here with Joe Matthew and then we'll come back for extended comments with Joe Matthew. He is leading our coverage in Milwaukee. Joe Matthew, how did your cover VERD change last night six thirty?
Speaker 14: Well, it's a great question here because it's still changing. I think that this twenty four hour period between the time those shots rang out and when we are on the air, and then another twenty four hours before the start of this convention, You're going to see a lot more changes, which is why I'm really urging people to not try to be in the business of predicting things. This is a pretty dark feeling, I'll be honest with you this morning in Milwaukee, and a lot of folks were bewildered last evening We were on the plane when this news broke with a lot of politicos and a lot of media types, and it's just one of those moments where you have to try to project as little as possible and take the news in. And that's what we're going to do today on Blueberg.
Speaker 3: Joe, we see that the former president deeed is going to Milwaukee, planning to give that speech on Thursday, but also saying that he's going to be a large presence throughout the proceedings over the course of the week.
Speaker 1: Is that a change.
Speaker 3: Did we expect to see him there as early? And what will you be watching for as these get underway? Tom making the very student observation a little while ago. Conventions have a lot of speakers. Some are more important than others, some more marquee than others, have more important things to say. Of course, we're waiting for the vice presidential pick as well. Do you get a sense this will be much more closely watched now as a result of.
Speaker 14: This, Oh, it surely will be. This could be the most watched political convention in history when you consider the moment we were already in with Joe Biden. Now, this is an incredible moment, regardless of your politics. But you ask a great question. In twenty sixteen, Donald Trump kind of up ended the tradition of holding the nominee until the last night. You know, it's like you don't see the bride before the wedding. Here and Donald Trump came out on the first night. He would pop his head outside on the stage, just a wave to get a round of applause. He didn't want to let a knight go by without soaking it up. And I suspect that that will be the go forward here. My bigger question is when do we first see him in public? What will be the staging? How will he look when he's in front of cameras the first time? Probably today?
Speaker 2: So Matthew Howley, particularly the Republican Party away from the core constituency of President Trump, how do they move on in Milwaukee?
Speaker 14: Well, my gosh, we haven't even started yet. So the idea of moving on from this is going to take a minute. Here, I just see a choice. This could go a couple of different ways. At some point, we'll see Donald Trump in front of a camera today. His demeanor is going to mean a lot. He's going to be cleaned up. He will probably be bandaged. Well, if here with members of the Secret Service, is that politically sound at this moment. Those are some of the questions around the optics that I have here. But look, there was a real tone of retribution around this program. Martyrdom. Dana White from the UFC is going to be speaking. It looks like on Thursday night, when the former President of the United States receives this nomination, if they lean into that, it's going to be an important moment. If Donald Trump decides to embrace moderation here, it too will be important. And I'm not sure that they have even arrived in that place yet. We're just waking up today with a lot of people having a sense of where they want to go, having slept on it, and there's just great uncertainty around this whole program. Rick Davis talked about it. You remember his convention in two thousand and eight. I was in the Twin Cities for that. There was a hurricane on the Gulf Coast on the first day of that convention. They had to change their plans on the spot to avoid a split screen that could have been very damaging to the nominee. In this case, they're going to have to make decisions like that as well in real time.
Speaker 3: I remember that well, and remember how it contrasted what the Democrats had in Denver that year, which was a convention the likes of which we hadn't seen before, both in terms of scale and scope, filling up mile high stadium with folks for Barack Obama's address. Then I imagine, Joe, you're doing what I'm doing, which is, you know, we have this kind of skeleton agenda that we've gotten from the Republican National Committee and the convention, detailing which delegation is going to be ware for what, and movies and all kinds of things like that. And then you know, before this happened yesterday, we got this kind of comprehensive list of who the headliners are going to be at the convention, and you mentioned Dana White as one of them, but you know, you look at who else is on here, certainly all of the front runners for that vice presidential position, various campaign advisors. Lee Greenwood is on there as well. What can you divine from looking at that list? You talked about grievance and retribution? What does it tell you just that list of what I guess thirty or forty names that we got from the Trump campaign over the weekend.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's interesting. It was the number of senators that kind of blew me away, considering the idea that this was such a controversial figure coming out of January six.
Speaker 3: Almost a dozen of them, I think if I count.
Speaker 14: Right, that is right. Of course a couple of them would like to be vice president. No big shockers there. I mean, look to see Dana White on stage is going to be bizarre, amber Rose, this is part of the job at a convention like this, But how will that list change? There's one name that was taken off the list of speakers, and that's Milannia Trump. Now, after what we just experienced here in this country, are you telling me that the former first Lady will not appear on stage with Donald Trump or will not say words of the podium. I think those are the kind of details are coming back around on now when it comes to best speaker's.
Speaker 3: List, remarkable, Tom and the list is divided between entertainer's celebrities, industry leaders, members of Congress, then family. So it's Joe rightly mentioned that we've got Donald Trump, Junior, Eric Trump, Laura Trump, who's the co chair of the.
Speaker 2: RNC, and Kim Bill to both of you, and David, let me go to you here, and it's just Joe and Jenny, She and Xanna waiting for us. David, that's always the case. This horrific event is happening. But I don't think anybody's consulted out President Trump needs to decide how President Trump will change Milwaukee period.
Speaker 1: I think that that's the case.
Speaker 3: And you know, we talked a little bit about the piece that Tim Alberta wrote for The Atlantic at the top of the show, really looking at this campaign, the kind of campaign that Donald Trump is running this time around, Susy Wild's heading it up. And you know, I know we're going to come back to Joe here in just a little bit, but I'm eager to hear sort of the gree to which the former president is shaping this, the degree to which he's going to defer to the leadership of that campaign, if they're going to maintain the kind of discipline that they've had here leading up to this, which if you look at the polls, look at how things are going has worked clearly worked so effectively for them.
Speaker 2: Joe, We're gonna let you go and come back, but quickly here they're gonna move the perimeters in Milwaukee. Are you and your team coverage going to be pushed out to Whitefish Bay?
Speaker 14: Look, it's a great we could be enveloped by the perimeters. That that's the one thing that we're waiting to find out because we were kind of on the edge of it right now. Bloomberg has a bit of a house set up here. So whether we're engulf or not, I will say it's probably a good time to not be in the perimeter because it's going to be harder to get in there than it is today.
Speaker 1: It's like real world bounce of power.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, I've got a house that.
Speaker 2: Kaylee Lines and Joe Matthew leading our coverage, and again Joel joined us here this morning in their special coverage tonight at five pm worldwide on Bloomberg Radio and Bloomberg Television as well. She has been patient. She is of Ionia University. Jenny, She and Zana joins us right now. Jennie, just to begin the coverage here, your thoughts on this horrific event of yesterday.
Speaker 15: Well, you know, we are all so lucky that the president, the former president, is a close, Caul, that is that.
Speaker 2: Was my I don't mean to interrupt you, but that was my first thought this morning when I woke up after no sleep tonight. Continue yeah, and me as.
Speaker 15: Well, Tom, And you know how close he came. I mean, we are all so grateful for that. And I think the questions you were just all talking about with Joe are the ones that I have. How does this impact the convention? Certainly the program we accept now they will have a moment of silence for the victims of this shooting. These iconic photos which portray the former president as in a show of strength, I mean, the idea that he could stand up after being shot, put his fist in the air and say fight, fight, fight. It is. These are iconic images, and certainly the delegates here that they of the party. They are both grateful and angry, and we heard some of that anger yesterday and I think we'll hear more of that. People like jd Vancerew very well could be the vice presidential nominee. He just a few hours after this horrific incident blamed it on Joe Biden's rhetoric. And that is not something that is isolated. That is something you hear from the Republican base that they are angry, and so how that anger is you know, transferred into the convention hall. These are all things that we're going to be watching for here.
Speaker 3: I saw that tweet as well from the junior Senator of Ohio that rhetoric led directly to the assassination attempt of Donald Trump. And we'll see here in the coming hours how widely that's embraced by other members of the Republican Party. Certainly, you know, I'm curious. I know that you have a background in public opinion polling and research, and Tom has rightly said, we don't want to dwell too much here on the politics, and you know what this means for the campaign itself at this moment in time. But when you look at sort of where things were and how this is likely to change the terrain, the political terrain here going into Milwaukee, what are your expectations as we come from two weeks back, that disastrous debate Atlanta, the effort on the White House's part to change course get President Biden out there more. We now have this seismic event in this campaign, seismic event in American political history. How do you see it reshaping the landscape.
Speaker 15: You know, I'm not sure it's going to change public opinions polling much. The anger that we are just talking about reflected by jd Vance, that is reflected in the base, and these are people who have supported and will continue to support the former president. They need to reach out to those a sort of Nikky Hayley voters, moderate independence, And the question is does this change anything for that small segment of the population. We haven't seen much movement there yet. I'm not sure we're going to see that.
Speaker 10: But if you look at history.
Speaker 15: And you look at say, the shooting of President Reagan, just you know, months into his presidency, you did see a change in the public opinion support for the former president. Obviously very different time and circumstances, but he was a polarizing figure and his public opinion support increased after his shooting. So that is a possibility as well.
Speaker 2: Jenny, thank you so much. We're out of time. It's way too short of visit with you. I've got about eight more questions, including the purpleness of some of these swing states, but we'll get much more from Jenny. She and Zeno of Iona College, a University. I should say in New Rochelle. She's a wonderful advisor to Bloomberg with perspective and through Milwaukee. In Chicago, David, what do you have?
Speaker 3: We were talking with Joe just about security in Milwaukee, and Michael Wadley, who's the chairperson of the Republican National Committee, was on Fox News Sunday this morning asked about security at that convention. Didn't get into specifics, according to our colleagues who were following all the commentary on these shows this morning, but did say the GOP is working with forty different law enforcement agencies. He said, quote, this is going to be a facility where we're going to be able to have fifty thousand delegates and alternates and guests and members of the media who are going to be here and who are going to be safe. That is very critical for us. Again, the chairperson of the Republican National Committee.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Radio and across all of our digital services, David Gura and Tom Keen a special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance. The team has worked through the night. I think there's a couple all nighters. It's just like in the old days, all nighters to get yourself the Finally, a special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance. Good morning everyone, Tom Keen with David Gura from our studios in New York. We're trying to do conversation forward after this horrific assassination attempt, and David, you mentioned it, the shock of it only really beginning to settle in for me. With all of the images and all of the modern news coverage, there's just that cadence. It is true shock that we process over a violence of this. You mentioned earlier the New York Times photograph of the image of a bullet passing by the former president.
Speaker 3: Doug Mills capturing that photograph, and there was this pool of four or five photographers there at the base of the stage in Butler, Pennsylvania. You saw those photographers scramble to capture some truly iconic, disturbing and iconic images of the former president as he fell to the ground and was surrounded by members of the Secret Service. We're looking ahead to Milwaukee, but before we get there, we have to stop in Washington, DC. That is where this hour present Biden's scheduled to be brief once again by law enforcement and Homeland security officials on what's happened in Pennsylvania, the status of that investigation, but also sort of what this means politically, what this means for the country culturally. These are paramount questions. So we moved to the start at the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee tomorrow time.
Speaker 2: And David, before we get to Hedrona, she's in the airport in Pittsburgh and we'll capture her before she heads off to Milwaukee. The Sunday talk shows, of which Bloomberg Radio has been committed to well over a decade. We'll have four hours of the talk shows for you starting at eleven am here in fifty eight minutes about them. They are a settling point. I'm going to be blunt for the elites of America. You've lived it, you've done them. What is the impact of these Sunday talk shows among the Beltway crew this morning as they adjust to Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: And then Chicago, Well, having lived it, no night is longer than Saturday night going into one of these shows, particularly if news happens, and we haven't seen news like this obviously in some time. But I know that Margaret Brennan, the host to Face the Nation, has been candid about this with you on air.
Speaker 1: As well.
Speaker 3: The shows try their best to get the most salient comments from guests, the best guests that they can get for that Sunday morning, and we see that in terms of who's on them. We're talking just a moment ago about the chairman of the RNC was on Fox News Sunday talking about plans for Milwaukee. We know that Chris Coons, the Senator from Delaware, a close friend and confidante of President Joe Biden, is going to be on Meet the Press this morning. I'm very interested to hear what he has to say, yes about the state of that campaign, the state of his friend Joe Biden, who one can only imagine has been shaken by what's happened here as well, and what the Democratic Party's plans are going forward here as they really have no choice but to watch what unfolds in Milwaukee over these next few days.
Speaker 2: In the mountains of western Pennsylvania and the Appalachia of Coal, which is David mentioned, used to be turned into steel a little bit still today, there is one lonely plateau and they decided to plan an airport on top of it. It's really challenging, to say the least pit is a Pittsburgh airport and there Heydrian Loewencren joins us right now of course with Bloomberg News, our White House correspondent. Hey, Joan, what you learned in the last hour, Well, well.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much for having me on here. You know, again, as you mentioned when looking ahead to Milwaukee, we just received a memo from the Trump campaign that they were panting arms to come. And you know what's also you know that we're investigating is what will happen to future big outdoor events like this. How will these types of rallies continue? How will campaign and continue? You know, And as you mentioned, we have people up on guests, lawmakers, people in charge of the R and C on all these talk shows. Everyone is figuring this out for the first time. But the security at the convention, who the VP is, What it means to have a VP in terms of someone who is able to take on the job of the president should something like this happen across both parties is something that we're chasing right now.
Speaker 3: Tom Hendrian is hitting on something that I've thought a lot about, having read presidential memoirs before political memoirs, there is this very sobering moment if you're picked to be the vice presidential nominee. With that comes the immediate onslaught of having a security apparatus surround you, and with that, I think an awareness of the fact that you were doing something that could potentially have great personal peril. And of course that was in stark relief last night in Western Pennsylvania Heydron. Let me get back to something you said just a moment ago, which is the importance of these rallies to this campaign. And I think, looking back on twenty sixteen and twenty twenty, to some extent, although we had the pandemic interceding, this is stock in trade for Donald Trump. He loves to do these big events. He had fifteen thousand people in that field in Western Pennsylvania yesterday. What would it mean if, pushing ahead to November after this convention, there is shall we say, a reduced interest in doing big events like this. I'm struck by what we were all talking about. Going into that debate in Atlanta a few weeks ago. There was some speculation among the chattering class that that format wasn't going to serve Donald Trump well because there wouldn't be an audience, he wouldn't be able to fall nade and have the warm reception of those who had gathered in the crowd. I think an actual fact, he played it pretty well. He didn't need that audience, and he stayed very focused and very disciplined. What does it mean for this campaign if, as you suggest, there could be a moment here now where it becomes unpalatable or unadvised or not interesting to this campaign to have those kind of big crowds and big events that have had for the last two times we've mounted a presidential campaign.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump has right.
Speaker 4: So, as you just mentioned, the rallies have been a huge part, and Trump thrives off of the audience there, but he is able to do more. First of all, of course, he already has the ID, the name recognition. This is something we were thinking about a while ago when all of the indictments came about and we weren't sure to what extent he would be locked in the courtroom. As we all know, in when he was in New York, he was able to have some smaller events, still pulling in the press, still keeping the attention on him. So he's definitely able to kind of work around. It's something else that's been really big social media. He is on truth Social his platform frequently and a lot of other people are tapped into that. So he is still finding so many other channels to communicate with his base. And not to mention, rallies are expensive, you know. Right now he has actually kind of caught up with Biden in the money race, succeeded it, even exceeded him even but before that, when our reporting was showing that rallies were a big source of a money drain from him, and so this could be something that cost affected as well.
Speaker 2: Safe travels Hedrio on the Lauren kren.
Speaker 1: The trade table, the plane and stow the trade table. She's got to get to Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: Butler Pennsylvania, to Pittsburgh and on to Milwaukee, or she will assist in our coverts Joe Matthew and Kaylee Linzier look for their coverage tonight if five pm across all that we're doing. One of the great rules. And the first time I ever ran into this, folks, was in New Hampshire. I honestly can't remember if it was conquered. I'll say it was Manchester. One of the most interesting hotels in the world is the Radison Hotel in Madison where there's a rotunda, and a million years ago we were all there doing the political thing that you do in the New Hampster primary, and I looked at everybody's cell phone, which probably done was a Pom Pilot, and everyone was looking at this new thing called Politico. Ah, there is something about being weaned at Politico which makes you a different reporter. Nancy Cook for years of Politico and institution there, and we are thrilled that she is our senior national correspondent this morning.
Speaker 3: Good friend of the show, friend of mine as well.
Speaker 1: Nancy. Great to speak with you.
Speaker 3: Yes, weaned it at Politico, raised here at Bloomberg where she covered that the treup campaign, all four years of it. Nancy, you and I have been talking a lot about the way that Donald Trump has been waging this particular campaign, about the role that Susie Wiles has been playing, about his advisor's ability to keep him focused, keep him talking about what they think the American public wants to hear, about, getting him to suppress some of the things that he, let's just say it, likes to talk about and focus on. How much confidence do you have in their ability to keep to be listening very closely to what he has to say whenever he says it. After this attack yesterday, but do you have confidence that that has staying power. There are emphasis that they've placed to him that he needs.
Speaker 1: To stay focused.
Speaker 16: I think that what happened last night, which was terrifying and tragic, you know, just objectively, we'll focus him even more. He is going to head into the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, where I am right now, I think, with such a sense of purpose and such a clear message that you know his enemies are after him. This is going to turn him into even more of a movement figure. It's going to give his supporters even more of a sense of him as a fighter, and it has really, i think, rallied the country around him, because of course, no one wants this type of political violence, and we've seen already the Biden campaign saying they're going to pull down that ads. You know, they're going to go dark for a little while. So this really gives Trump, i think, foremost of the week the stage, and I think that he will be very disciplined and understand how to use this moment, because regardless of what you think of him, he does have excellent political instincts.
Speaker 3: Nancy, I want to ask you about five seconds in what happened yesterday, not when he was shot and when he fell to the floor, but what we were talking about with Jean Zay now, just just a moment ago. That is the moment he stands up and raises his fist and says fight to the crowd. There was an incredible wherewithal of that, an awareness of the fact that, look, the unthinkable had happened. He'd been forced to the floor, He's bleeding out of his right ear, and yet there is this quintessential Donald Trumpian awareness of the fact that he is, yes, surrounded by those fifteen thousand people. Perhaps he saw Doug Mills there with his camera and others, but he grasped the importance and lasting significance of that moment and wanting to share in the way that he so clearly has during the course of his political career and business career before that.
Speaker 16: Absolutely, and the image that was taken of that moment with him with his sister rais above. There's blood streaming down his face, his right ear is bloody, and there's an American flag sort of waving behind him as he's surrounded by Secret Service agents is iconic now, and it's iconic sort of in the country. But you also saw a lot of senators yesterday and Republicans and all these people sharing it on social media and sort of more evidence of what a fighter he is. And to me, they were talking about, you know, the fact that he survived the thirty four felony convictions, two impeachment trials, you know, an assassination attempt for his supporters just adds to the lore of like what he is able to overcome and his resiliency.
Speaker 2: What is his dynamic right now with the Republican middle in the grind of doing Bloomberg surveillance, Nancy. This has been a constant and theme the loyalists, as we saw in Butler, Pennsylvania. They're not going to budget, They're going to be completely engaged. But what is a relationship now versus four years ago of former President Trump with a Republican middle.
Speaker 16: I think that the relationship between him and the Republican middle is still a little tricky. We have seen white suburban women, for instance, still not come back to support him, and so I think just politically, the gamble that they're trying to make for this election is you know, even if you can't get white suburban women, let's say, to vote for you, they are going after voters who typically do not vote Republican. They're going after younger black men, They're going after Hispanics. We're seeing polling shows that Hispanics are really turning back towards Trump. And so they're trying to actually like build a new coalition for this election. And it may work, it may not, but that is their strategy.
Speaker 2: Nancy Cook, thank you so much for the generous time today as you prepare for your work in Milwaukee. Nancy Cook, Senior National corresponded. It is a joint out a turn to Greg Valier of New Hampshire, understanding that he referred in Sacramento Ronald Reagan outside the Hilton Hotel. I would make a joke of James Garfield in eighteen eighty one, but that was just before you know that you were the only one before Greg. It is an American curse, this assassination and assassination surviving. I should say as well, your thoughts of how Donald Trump will.
Speaker 17: Change, Wow, this is a huge event for him. Tom Good to be with you, not under these circumstances but I do think that for Trump, this is going to be a defining moment. I think he has an opportunity to become an icon. The photo will become iconic. And you got to say, Donald Trump is the clear, clear favorite to win the election.
Speaker 3: Greg picking up on that, and we've asked a number of folks about the secret to get your perspective on it as well. What does he have to say on Thursday? What would you like to hear him say on Thursday? How does he acknowledge what's happened? How does he move us the country forward?
Speaker 17: I think he needs to lower the temperature, David, and he has been, ironically in the last few weeks lowered the been lowering the temperature a bit. So I think he needs to be magnanimous. He needs to tone it down, and if he does, he picks up that last group that he needs that you guys were just talking about, and that's the moderate centrist voters. I think he has a chance now to win them as well.
Speaker 3: Tom asking about what happened in the seventies, those two attempts on Gerald Ford, which happened in pretty quick succession, there was a degree to which we were I won't say, we were inured to it, but this was a more regular thing. And then we've had this lapse, and we've talked about what happened to Steve Scalize, We've talked about what happened to Gabrielle Gifford's, but no targeting of presidents or presidential candidates in many decades. This is novelty territory or a territory that we haven't trod in some time. What do we signal to you culturally that we're here again.
Speaker 17: Well, we can't relax. I mean, we still have to worry about these types of threats. I mean, I'm sure people have said this morning to you guys, you know, a quarter of an inch and we'd be having a totally different conversation. I think there's also going to have to be a really tough scrutiny of security around Trump. A lot of people saw this guy with a rifle and nobody took him out, and I think that's going to have to be explored.
Speaker 2: I look, Greg Vellier at the scope of this, and I am wedded to the tradition that you and I grew up with. GIRs far too young to remember this, But essentially we have modern conventions that are constructed media events, to stagger to a film opportunity to run tape in October and into November. Did that equation change last yesterday yesterday evening a bit.
Speaker 17: I have to say, just to reiterate, I think this makes Trump an iconic figure. The blood streaming down his face, the defiant fist clench. I mean, this is going to be the image that we'll see between now in November fifth and it, barring something extraordinary, some huge gas by Trump, He's going to win well.
Speaker 2: And both of you weigh in here, David Ger, I'm going to go to you first of all. And there's people that have written speeches for presidents. Do you actually believe that Donald Trump as a speech writer or is he going to add lib this is only he can do.
Speaker 3: I go back to what we were talking about with Nancy. I'm eager for Greg to jump in here as well. I just feel like, and my sense is from all that I've read and heard from Nancy and others, that this campaign is more professional than past campaigns that Donald Trump has waged. He has folks running it who are experienced, more than competent, and again very professional, and so to answer your question. Who knows how much he will add lib be extemporaneous. We know that he likes to do that, but I think that he has the structure in place in this campaign to guide him in delivering a speech that will be effective and effectively capture this moment. Greg, I'd love to hear from you if you feel that the same way that this just it feels different than it did the.
Speaker 1: Last two times.
Speaker 17: Absolutely, David. I was just going to make the point that I think the campaign already was doing well before this incident yesterday. They had toned it down, they got a sharper edge, They have top people running the campaign, So he was the front runner clearly even before what happened yesterday.
Speaker 3: I've had a number of these conversations Tom, with people who support the former president and don't talking about the debate. Yes, we focused a lot on the way that Joe Biden has comported himself during the course of that disastrous debate for him. And then there are people who don't like the former president and say, oh, but if he lied all these times, how can you ignore that? I think Tom, picking up on what Greg was saying, there there was a a focus and an awareness of the space and the forum for that debate that I think exemplifies what Greg and I have been talking about here. That is just just an awareness of what he needs to do to wage this campaign effectively.
Speaker 2: Greg Valier, this seminal event here of the next forty eight hours is a vice president for is my recall a seventy eight year old wounded former president. I mean, I'm not going to you know, I don't need theater here of like how is the vice presidential choice? Change? But it's ever more important now after what we've witnessed.
Speaker 17: Absolutely, the realities are stark right now. So I think he's got to pick somebody with experience, someone who can step in immediately. It almost has to be, in my mind, Marco Rubio. But I've been wrong before, I could be wrong again.
Speaker 2: How could he do that with two people from Florida?
Speaker 17: Rubio moves, Rubio gets a condo in DC or New York whatever that you know, don't forget Carl roaft Nook, who is the running the running mate.
Speaker 2: That's okay, Greb. You're allowed to have brain freezes on Bloomber surveillance a daily basis.
Speaker 17: Dick Cheney, I'm sorry, so Dick Cheney did the same thing. He changed his residency, and nobody said very much about it.
Speaker 3: When you look at what the president former president is considering. And here's where I'll draw the contrast. We've talked a lot about this tweet from Jdvans last night, drawing this direct line to what he says is Joe Biden's rhetoric and what happened to Donald Trump last night. Does that affect this in any way, this person's approach to what happened yesterday, or you know, does this go beyond that?
Speaker 8: Is?
Speaker 3: Give us your sense, give us a great value, a sense of what Donald Trump wants, what Donald Trump needs in a running running mate this time.
Speaker 17: I think if he wants to go for comfort, he ghosts for the North Dakota Senator Burgham. I think they get along very well. They're both on the same wavelength. But Burgham has no name recognition, and I think you've got to get somebody with the name recognition. Again, if you want somebody with a good background in geopolitics, for somebody who really knows how Washington works, Rubio is the logical choice.
Speaker 2: What about Nikki Haley, Terry Haynes and others? Have said to us that this is a point. You know, if you say I'm more presidential, Donald Trump would be more political. You know, go back to Harold Stassen. You're the only ones, Greg, you and I are the only ones who know who Harold Statsen is. But is this a point where we see Trump? Haley?
Speaker 17: No, you got to say Tom that she doesn't like him, he doesn't like her. They do not get along. I would be very surprised if she said yes, I don't. I've not heard anything about her being credited. That would be a big upset.
Speaker 2: Greg Valier, thank you for the time. Allway's generous with us with AGF investments. Really the first morning note honest, David, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Picking up on what we were just talking about there. I was down in Atlanta covering that debate, and there has been this very showman like aspect to this selection process, and so leading up to that debate and afterward when the surrogates flooded the floor of the spin room, Nikki Haley absent from all of that. But you did see Doug Burgham, you saw Tim Scott, you saw jd Vance on the floor there. So it seems clear to me that would be a real sleeper pick from Donald Trump if he picks that, Nick Kaily, others have been kind of brought out, trumpeted out, trotted out to be shown to the public here leading up to this decision.
Speaker 2: We are now going to turn to a difficult topic and we are going to do it respect for his public service to those of the Pentagon in the CIA. McK mulroy, I think I spoke to him in the last seventy two hours. Make I honestly can't remember all sorts of accolades here that you have done. But one of those acolloids is to actually hold a weapon in your hands and feel the pressure. I'm not talking about a twenty two or even some form of societal pistol. I'm talking about whatever was alleged to be used as a rifle in this attempted assassination. How accurate is the reported AK style AR style excuse me ar style and your professional ability, Mick in the military. How accurate can an AR style rifle be scope or no scope from that distance?
Speaker 5: So good to be with you, Tom and David after this horrible event. Essentially, an AR fifteen is the civilian equivalent to an M sixteen R M four, So the same weapons that are carried in the US military and the CIA. It's the same. It just has a few modifications, like it cannot shoot a three round verse, for example, but essentially you don't need that anyway. So it is designed to be incredibly accurate by people who quite frankly, are at the basic level of the army or the Marine Corps. And I can tell you, as a former marine that the average marine could make this shot without optics almost any day. And I don't mean that trumpet anything. I'm just it's not one hundred and fifty yards away from an elevated position with a direct line of sight. So it is just luck, I think. And I don't know if this individual had any training or his background, but I think it's just luck that it didn't kill former President Trump.
Speaker 2: This was a source of conversation at the dining room table last night, and what I said to one of the cherubs was you have to have a quiet when firing a rifle for accuracy, and most of us, including me, David Gera, and a twenty year old lost in western Pennsylvania, don't have that quiet. I mean, basically, the reason President Trump is live is because an amateur held a weapon, you were professional in am I close there?
Speaker 5: It could be yes, it could be that. It could be that there was, you know, augusta wind that happened at the last second that I don't know, but the prone position which apparently he was in with that style of weapon in AAR fifteen, which is very accurate. I am assuming he had optics because they're almost everywhere now, But even with iron sights, it's not a difficult shot. So I think even a person who had never shot before, within a half a day of training could have made that shot quite frankly. And I do believe it was just luck or something else happened that intervened. He slipped, he was spotted. I don't know. Oh yeah, obviously was taking a headshot. Most people would have tried to shoot for you know, mid torso, but I don't know. I don't want to get too into low, but it's just not it is not that difficult to show well. And as brave as a secret service was that got up there and covered him, this was a big breakdown insecurity. There should not have been somebody on a route at that location. There should have been some kind of law enforcement presence at that location just a few hundred.
Speaker 3: Feet away from the stage there in Butler, Pennsylvania. And you're right in pointing out and make I mean, there's a lot we don't know here, a wide vacuum of information that presumably will be filled in the coming days, and were hearing that they'll be hearings with Secret Service leadership as well. Nick, I want to ask you about political violence and what this signals for you.
Speaker 1: And we've talked a lot about.
Speaker 3: Historical precedent here analogs throughout modern history, and how there was a relative calm at least when it comes to assassinations of for attempted assassinations of political figures. How do you see this changing that? What do you say to somebody who watches what's happened here and fears greatly that this itself may have been an isolated incidant, but what's been at play here could snowball further.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's safe to say there we're seeing a rise of both extremes, both on the far left and the far right, and not only a rise in violent rhetoric, but the capacity to do violence, so arming themselves both sides. A lot of these groups are looking for a reason, right They are looking for a cause to get behind to do things that would promote their political agenda as extreme as it is based on some kind of impetus. This could be an impetus. We don't know what this individual's motivation was. He was he doing it for political reasons or was he just mentally disturbed and thought that this was going to somehow get him some attention. I don't know, but it doesn't probably doesn't matter to those extremist groups that we're looking for a reason. So I believe the FBI that the hs AND is going to be looking for talk right now, Chatter on a lot of these alternative social media sites that are used about some kind of retaliation of who they'd retaliate against. I don't know, but logic might not rule the day here. I think this is an indication of what has been growing and we've seen all sorts of political violence, including January sixth, and this could be the tip of the iceberg. It could be something that creates a cascading Hopefully that doesn't happen. I'm sure that people are worried about that.
Speaker 3: Let me pull a thread there, because I heard Juliet Kim at the Kennedy School on CNN yesterday talking about how in a situation like this, the motive is rarely clear cut. You look back on what happened with Reagan, for example, can you comment on that just sort of the work that will be undertaken here to find out what that motive is. Again, there's a lot of sort of basic investigative work that needs to happen here about the security breakdown and all of that. But when we get down to figuring out who this person was, what made him tick, and why he did that, how complicated a process is that? And conversely, what's that likely to show about the complicatedness of that individual.
Speaker 5: Sure, so I think there's two parts i'd highlight For that. One, people are going to use whatever they want for their reasoning behind why this individual did what they did. Social media is now everywhere in our adversaries see it and they just magnify it. So if somebody spreads the rumor that this person was, you know, a political opponent of president former president Trump and he did this for a little more, that's going to get out there pretty quick. And the Russians and Chinese and the Iranians are going to spread it. It's just a fact. But you are right, there are many reasons you reference the President Reagan's attempted assassination. That person was doing it to impress a movie actress. Right had nothing to do for my memory political but and if that's the case here, it needs to come out relatively quick. It certainly wouldn't make it any better necessarily, but hopefully it would diffuse this idea that if it was something that came from the far left, that the far right needs to respond. Hopefully that is not the case either way, whether it is just a one off, disturbed individual or even if this person had some kind of more political motive, it needs to be quelled, and I think it really needs to be quelled by joint statements political leadership, individual state.
Speaker 2: Please stay with us, don't go away. We'd like to reintroduce ourselves, folks, to you a special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance David Gerra and Tom Keane from our studios in New York with all of the abilities of Bloomberg News, including Nancy Cook, Jordan Fabian, and Adriana Lauren Corn as well. Will you have an extremely important guests coming up will tell you of that in a moment, But right now we continue our coverage on Bloomberg Radio across America.
Speaker 3: David pivotal moment for this country. At this very moment, President Bien expected to meet with his law enforcement team homeland security team to get another briefing on that investigation. Merrick Garland is going to be there. We know that this investigation, which at first was being handled by the Secret Service, of course overseeing that event yesterday Butler Pennsylvania in Western Pennsylvania, that baton has been passed to the FBI, and Mark Carland, the Attorney General, has talked about how no resource will be spared to get to the heart of this. Secretary of Homeland Security will be there as well aslong with many members of President Biden's team. So we will not hear from President Biden until that briefing takes place. Perhaps we'll hear from HM later today, we hear from Joe Matthew in Wisconsin. Maybe we'll hear from the former president see the former president today as well. But we are in this vacuum where the investigation is still in its infancy. Tom law enforcement collecting all of that information all the while they are looking ahead to this critical event taking place in Wisconsin this week, and as we were discussing forty different law enforcementities preparing security for.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, I guess it's going to be a one year, two year, three year thing, and we're going to learn that it's going to take more money to protect, whether it's those of our legislative branches and frankly at the state level as well. You wonder if there's going to be a budget sea change here, as frankly there was when Lincoln was assassinated in eighteen sixty five. To me, far more important is what do they do this afternoon or tomorrow. There has to be a change behavior going into these two conventions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we know that the former president had a large Secret Service apparatus surrounding him, not as large as the current president. Just give them the fact that he's in the job and has a longer motorcade and more people in it and more vehicles, and it is well more security, But you know, what does it mean? And we've heard the calls in these recent hours for heightened security for Donald Trump, heightened security for RFK Junior as well. He doesn't have Secret Service protection at this point, and one can't help but look at him and his candidacy and think that, think of his history, his personal history. Of course, his father killed by an assassin in Los Angeles in the late sixties after he won the California primary. Something he didn't really want to get into on Fox News yesterday when he was interviewed. But something I think this top of mind to his supporters and others, is.
Speaker 2: Mick Malroy still with us? Mick, are you still there?
Speaker 13: I just yeah, Dom, I'm okay.
Speaker 2: I just you know, we're getting on in the show and I lose my bearings the interns. You know, the interns came in. I'd explain the interns. You're in the news business. Sunday's your New Monday. Mick Malroy again, thank you so much. With your military perspective. One of the shocks we have is a distance of this assassination attempt. Those of us of a certain vintage understand the distance is usually much shorter for our two presidents for President Byen former President Trump. How do people like you protect them at a short distance.
Speaker 5: So the short distance is you know, close up security, where there is both individuals that are obvious secret service you can see them with the sunglasses and the you know, the radio receiver in their ear. But there's also people that aren't obvious. They're wearing playing clothes. They're not necessarily somebody would expect your security because they have a different of the threats in the audience that that somebody who is obviously security wouldn't have. So you're going to have a combination of that. And then of course when it comes to an area like this, there has to be a complete survey of where the threat areas would be. And this, if you just look at the overhead imagery, this building would have been a significant threat, I think, and they should have done something. They should have had law enforcement on the roof, on the ground to prevent people from getting up there. They should have obstructed the line of sight from these areas to where the forum president was speaking. I mean, the investigation is new, but this is something that I think has already been pointed out by so many that just looked at this. So they're going to have to adjust the way they do these type events. Potentially no more outside events, and they might have to supplement the secret statement.
Speaker 2: Make David, this is important, no more outside events, just like it's stealing the process, it's stealing David Gura deck from us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and stealing what we know that Donald Trump likes to use as a real campaign tool. And MC, let me just ask you, as you looked at this event, fifteen thousand people in this field in western Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: You, of course, I'm sure, are aware.
Speaker 3: Of what we heard from Donald Trump when he was the president about his attitude towards security. Remember well what he said on January the sixth that he didn't need metal detectors for those supporters who are going to show up on the National mall. How do you react just to the security challenges of an event like this in isolation, but also just a string of them.
Speaker 2: I confess this.
Speaker 3: I watched this yesterday. I thought, you know, how long was this in the works? How firm a grass did they have on how many people were going to turn out? I imagine doing security. Setting up a security plan and executing it for an event like this is difficult under any circumstances. But in a campaign where this is regular and happening regularly and might be planned with not a ton of events, notice, must complicate things all the more.
Speaker 5: Absolutely so, I think It's important to point out just the effort that the Secret Service has to do to be able to protect both the presidential candidate and the president at the same time during the campaign season in a country that quite frankly is a wash with weapons. I mean, the AR fifteen is essentially ubiquitous across the United States, especially where I am in Montana. So this is a you know, and I'm talking the political aspects of gun ownership here, I'm just talking the cold hard sense of security. When people have access to these weapons and then you have an outside event, it makes it extraordinarily difficult for a security protective detail like the Secret Service to do their job. It's just it's different than any other country where this would occur. So there would be an advanced team. They would scout out how they were going to do security, to cover the danger zones, where he'd come in, where he'd go out, where they'd have their quick reaction for stage, to where the nearest hospital is. These are all things that they do everywhere they take the president, designated presidential candidate, somebody who's won the nomination of the party or the president, of course, and it's only going to get more intense it just goes on. I mean, we're seeing an uptick in these events from both candidates, and I don't see it, you know, reducing. I do think it'd be a shame that the democracy would be hampered. But from the security point of view, I think they're going to recommend they might not follow their recommendation no more outside events. It is just difficult to cover every you know, area that has a direct line of sights. I mean this this weapon system, by the way, they are fifteen can you can shoot somebody at five hundred yards? The average marine going through Paris Island gets taught to shoot somebody with iron sights at five hundred yards, right, so three times distants where this individual shots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is valuable. McK morroy, thank you so much for the perspective earned in his public service to the nation in the military. David, that's the most sobering common I've heard of all this, And again it's what we've always done in surveillance over the years here at Bloomberg, is to talk to people who actually know what they're talking about. Yes, the Western gopre Genie she and you know, and all of her work and the turmoil of Northeastern Politics. Wendy Schiller up at Brown with a definitive civics text buckets. You know, Mick talk like that is that's extraordinary knowledge.
Speaker 3: I continue to watch all of this unfold. We were talking about the importance of these Sunday shows today. Senator Lindsey Graham is on Meet the Press now, addressing some of what we've been discussing, says he plans to talk to the former president today. Talked a bit about the convention and what to expect, talked about the President's VP pick. He said, quote, today underscores why that's an important pick. He wants somebody that is ready on day one, that can help him win, that can help him.
Speaker 1: Grow the map.
Speaker 3: And then I was struck by this, Lindsey Graham nodding to his colleagues across the aisle for their good wishes, wishes of good health for the former president, saying quote, I think the Republican base at Doris President Trump, there is going to be a lot of love coming this way. But I'm glad to see my Democratic colleagues saying really good things. And you know, this is a moment where America has been traumatized and it's good to see. That's something else that we've been talking off a lot about this morning, Tom, just how to condemn what's happened here in Pennsylvania and how to move forward perhaps change that political climate.
Speaker 2: We prepare across all of Bloomberg for Balance of Power tonight at five pm from Milwaukee, led by Kayleie Lines helping out as well Joe Matthew, and we're thrilled to Joe Matthew from Milwaukee as well. Joe, should we hear from President Trump today?
Speaker 14: That's a great question. I think that it would probably not be a surprise if we did. Getting him in front of a camera coming down the stairs from that airplane last night was not a lot. They need to have some sort of presentation for people to get a sense of how he's fealing beyond a written statement here, so we're all waiting for this. We'll include a running mate announcement as he appeared today with his vice presidential pit. Think these are some of the questions that we're asking, and so much of this has been political in our conversation here, but I'm deeply curious to see where we're going with this secret service in terms of security details. For not only Donald Trump, but also RFK Junior, who had previous year requested enhanced security and was denied. And the big part of the conversation that you're referring to on these Sunday morning shows has been promises of hearings and investigations to find out exactly why that person was able to get in the physition that he was in right now, and what protocol should follow for presidential candidates or for the president himself. We have rarely found ourselves with so many unanswered questions going into such a massive news of it, like this Republican convention.
Speaker 3: Joe, I'm glad you go there, and we talked a bit about this with Henry T. Tree's a little earlier in the show. We're familiar with the reporting on the Secret Service.
Speaker 1: In recent years. There have been scandals.
Speaker 3: We think back on when Hillary Clinton went to South America. That an embarrassment I think more so than anything else, but of course raised concerns about her security while she was there. You, with your experience covering Washington from the anchor desk and around town as well, get us up to speed on the way that the Secret Service is regarded now. I think go back to something I was saying to Tom a little while ago. You watch what unfolded on that stage and can't help be impressed by that group of half dozen agents or so who encircled the president and made sure that he got off the stage safely. But this is an agency that has been beset with problems now for many years. So these calls for hearings, while maybe politically motivated, there is some grist for them. There's some real grist there, and there is some real concern just about the way this agency has been run in recent years.
Speaker 14: That's true, and the internal scandals that you're referring to never manifested themselves like this to an actual security concern, if not a breach of protocol. And I don't want to say that that's what it was, but we need to find out. And it's more broadly part of a bias against federal law enforcement. Hear so much about supporting the police, and you're going to hear that every day this week in Milwaukee, But they're talking about your local police, your state police. When it comes to the FBI. When it comes to the Secret Service, they are frequently looked at as bad guys, and particularly in the Republican sphere. This will not help. And it reminds me as well of repeated testimony that we heard over the past year from Christopher Ray, the head of the FBI. He said it in March, he said it in April, he said it again in June, that the terrorist threats have reached a whole other level where the words that he used in congrational testimony with specific worries about lone wolf terrorism that we just now witnessed in reality.
Speaker 3: Could you describe for us you're newly there in Milwaukee. We were talking a little bit about the security perimeter, what it's like, what it's likely to be like. I think back on my recent trip to Atlanta, all of the security that I had to go through just to get to this arena where.
Speaker 1: In fact, neither of the candidates was going to be.
Speaker 3: We were in the Georgia Tech Basketball Arena, sitting around the concourse watching the debate unfold on the jumbo tron, but there was still an awful lot of security to get through, big gauntlet for us to run through. I can only imagine that before this happened, there were stages upon stages of security that were set up. What does it look like, what's your understanding of what's likely to change here as you move ahead to Milwaukee?
Speaker 14: Well, all great questions, and some of this has yet to be announced. I'm in downtown Milwaukee right now, in an area where most major streets are closed, so you walk out of your hotel or the building that you're in and you just walk across the street without looking. It's a it's got a bit of a no man's landfeel to it here, and there are massive barriers like the type that you would see surrounding the Supreme Court or Capitol Hill that are snaking all throughout the city.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 14: There are a lot of places you simply can't go. I tried to get a coffee this morning and had to have a security guard actually open the gates for me to get out of the block. That's going to get worse. And look look at the past couple of conventions here, you had to walk a couple of miles to get in airport style security. It's really difficult, and this one's going to be hard, apparently what we've seen before.
Speaker 2: Tell us about the five o'clock show tonight, I mean, everything's been turned upside down, and you know you will have great balance of power conversation. But I mean, people are flying in right now. They're supposed to be down, and you know, I'm going to go, David to the convention. Not that you'd know anything about this, but you know, you get to a convention, you go to the bar. I mean, that's what the people do. How do you go to the bar in Milwaukee, Joe Matthew, there's what eleven hundred delegates. What do they do now after this shock of their guy almost dying.
Speaker 14: Well, I can tell you they were still at the bar last night. It was just a very, very different feeling and it was pretty remarkable. I was out with Rick Davis and one of our producers. We got it late. We talked on the radio for a while, we went out to dinner even later. The restaurants were packed. Town is full. You can't get a hotel room. But there was not a celebration inside the restaurant. It's somber, and as I said earlier, there is genuinely a dark ceiling in Milwaukee. It's cloudy and it's been drizzling so far today. When you talk to people, people are kind of nodding at each other. Given a smile because there's just a fear in the air that's very difficult to quantify and describe.
Speaker 2: And then David Girl, bring that over to Chicago, I would suggest, you know, it seems a million months away, but it's not. It's you know, two cups of coffee away.
Speaker 5: And it's true.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll have Joe Matthew there and Kaylely lines in Amory Horden and arrest. But David Girl, I'm sorry, there's a dark cloud over Chicago in August as.
Speaker 3: Well, and it has been over Chicago for a couple of weeks now. I think after that debate there was a lot of a lot of uncertainty about how those those events would proceed. And Joe jump in here in just a sect, but I mean, I think that there, as I've said this morning, there's a fragility.
Speaker 1: To that convention.
Speaker 3: I think that the sort of events leading to that fragility might get a little les attention now in the coming days because the focus shifts so squarely to the Republicans. But with what happened in Atlanta, with how President Biden has comported himself since We've got this interview tomorrow with Lester Holt We'll see how that advances this story. I think uncertainly is the word that I keep reaching for here. Joe correct me if I'm wrong. We don't know how fragile, how fractious that convention's going to be. But I don't think those dark clouds are going away anytime soon. To borrow Tom's metaphor.
Speaker 14: No, they're building. And there's a real question about what happens to Bloomberg's reporting here. And I don't know that anyone has matched it about advancing the nominating process to July twenty first, when as a virtual meeting of DMC officialcy idea is to lock this down earlier than August so he could get on the ballot, both in Ohio, which they seem to have solved, but also just to quiet this whole conversation. I don't know how they could pull that off now. I don't know exactly how Joe Biden can do that interview now with Lester Holt. Is he going to be able to criticize the man he's running against not starting to day and what kind of criticism will be? Will he be able to levy how do you talk about January sixth in the same tone after what happened yesterday.
Speaker 2: Jack Matthew, Joe Matthew, thank you so much for the time this morning, getting ready for his coverage at five pm tonight, Joe Matthew and Kaylie Lyones bats a power at five pm worldwide on Bloomberg. This next guest, as we come up here to the end of our coverage this morning, David Gerr and Tom Keen a special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance. And I've been waiting all morning to ask Jack Divine one question because they sit at home and I'm not, as you know, you make jokes about it folks on Bloomberg Surveillance, but I'm not the Hollywood loadstone scarlet food.
Speaker 1: Yes you're not.
Speaker 2: And Jack Divine, I want to take this from your reality of CIA employment over decades, thirty two year veteran of a central intelligence agency to the Hollywood and affected attitude of people like me that our domestic intelligence services should know about the people like this shooter and the attempted assassination of a former president. The movies make it sound like there's all sorts of fancy intelligence to know who these people are. But we're blind, aren't we.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's a tough question, Tom. Frankly, it's a needle in a haystack operation. There's a lot goes on ahead of time, they find people, but here you have a loaner. I mean there's no record, there's no record of them, there's no there's nothing to get a handle on, and their operation may take place in a matter of a day or two, right, So I think it's unrealistic. Where the intelligence community is really good is finding when states do it, when governments are trying to do it or plan, and that's where you have a better chance. But the lone wolf, I don't think there's much success in that. You have to be really prepared defensively, you have to make sure you've got your protection networks in certainly tap your intelligence. If it's a state system then probably will be alerting. So I was pretty satisfied early on that this was not a state driven event, although there are so many black Swans out.
Speaker 3: There, Jack, I want to get your perspective on the magnitude of this event. This event as a turning point, and as we heard from Joe Matthew a moment ago, Christopher Ray, the FBI Director, has warned of the threat of domestic terrorism for so long. Now we're all aware of how heated the rhetoric has become in American politics today. Several of our guests on the show this morning have spoken in very candid terms about how they felt that this was inevitable. As they put it, that there was a slow but burning build to what we saw happen in Butler, Pennsylvania yesterday. I would love your perspective on that, on the revocability of this that we've gotten to this point, where do we go from here? Is there any optimism that even if this is a one off, if this was a lone wolf and a one man thing, we can find our way back to a saner track of better comedy among both parties.
Speaker 13: You would like to think so, but let me be frank. I mean, I'm not optimistic about that. One of the first things I struck me was what about a copycat? And then I sat and thought about it. Yes, there's some people out that were like the fame, like fame and so on, But I think what we have is a much larger group of potential threats from people that are just so angry, you know, so they have mental issues, but they're so angry they strike out. So I think your earlier guests I didn't listen to all them. I was thinking about this ahead of time. But I think their concern is absolutely well well founded. But I don't know how we wind back society. And it's not just a rhetoric of the politicians, and we're way out of line on that across the board, but on social media, we have so much going on in there, people immune from the violence that this is more of a societal problem. It won't be fixed with some new legislation or one great speed, but I think we all should learn something here.
Speaker 2: Where'd you grow up? Jack Divine?
Speaker 13: Where did I grow You're going to pick out my accent southwest Philadelphia?
Speaker 2: Southwest Philia. I thought so. And what's important here is the distinction of urban Philadelphia with the hinterlands west of Altoona in Pennsylvania. You're a grizzled, internationally known expert on intelligence and the violence of intelligence. How do you look at our rural ha geography almost of guns? How do you look at the idea that a kid should have? But what's it called? David? An air? A kid has an air fifteen outside Pittsburgh. I mean, you're not You're not hunting pheasant with that, are you right.
Speaker 13: I mean, this is a national issue about you in the Second Amendment. Personally, I don't have a gun. That's how I feel about it. They're dangerous, you know, they're dangerous in household. I understand why there's the Second amend I support those that are interested in hunting. I am of the view that the weapons of this nature should not be available. People should be registered. But the bigger problem, tom is the mental health problem. And you know that is so huge. So this moaning, I'm going to bet that this young fellow has had a gun for a long time, that he's hunted in the hills of the Pennsylvania. So you know, it's hard. It's hard. It will be registered, maybe not. But my guess is the problem is the mental health of our country. And I'm not a psychiatrist, I'm not a doctor, but I think we all see it every day across a broadspector. We got to we've got a tone of down good on the highway. I mean we don't. I don't want to take a tangent. It's all around us anger. So I think the copy cat sure, that's a problem, but I just think this environment has so much anger and people want to strike out, and if you're psychologically ill, you shoot it. You know, you shoot a public figures. So I think public figures are much greater risk. I think we have to reevaluate how we provide security for our candidates. I think we have to up it. One thing that I wondered, and I haven't seen anybody touch on this, I'm wondering why drones in this sage of technology are not part of our or kit bag. I mean, when we're doing these events, they're just not that hard to manage. But would we have been able to cover the crowds now the reaction time of the Secret Services spectacular and how they took them out. But I'm really stumped on the roof incident. So I'm trying to think of how that could be preventive. But these are strictly differentive check.
Speaker 2: Thank you Jeck Divine with us his best selling book, Good Hunting, an American Spymaster's Story was Riveting a good ten years ago. Here we continue our coverage at Bloomberg News through the day. David Ger and I will pause here and we thank all of our team here at Bloomberg surveillance for helping out today and really through the night tirelessly working on this good conversation. You have a tough job, David. You have to take the big take of twenty minutes of excellence on this. What approach will you take for the big take?
Speaker 3: Communday, Well, rest assured, we'll do that, and we'll try to get everyone the latest information that we have about the investigation into what happened in Butler, Pennsylvania. But also I think we'll hit it some of the themes that we've been touching on over the course of these three hours. Tom, principally what this means for our cultural fabric in this country as we look ahead till Milwaukee's convention, and I look forward to Joe Matthews cover with Kaylee Lines this evening, originating from this I did that convention in Milwaukee. But I say that with great humility, recognizing how little we know right now. And I see something crossing the wire here from the Wall Street Journal, The Wall Street Chournal reporting authorities found explosive devices in the car of the man who officials say tried to assassinate former President Donald Trump. According to people briefed on the investigation. We haven't independently verified that ourselves, but the Journal has that. And we know that President Biden is in the White House now getting a briefing from his advisors, Homeland security advisors, talking to the Attorney General of the United States as well about the investigation that the FBI is mounting here. So I think that that's the dual track that we're going to take. I know that you're going to take as well, looking back trying to figure out what's happened here and also looking forward to the greater import of the significance of what's happened in Western Pa.
Speaker 2: And is I believe you said within the blur of our three hours in what you said, is every speech you think of the rehearsal, of the canned nature of a modern convention. Full disclosure, folks, I hate the can nature of a modern convention. But every speech now will be rewritten. There's just plain and simple.
Speaker 3: We know you as somebody who likes to famously rip up a script, and I think that we're seeing that happen now in preparation for that convention in Milwaukee. As Joe Matthew is saying, the last time around, Donald Trump was foregoing the common procedure previously, which was not to appear until the last night of the convention. He wanted to be there every night. And so I think in the coming hours we're going to see when we'll see Donald Trump, Will it be daily at this convention? When is he going to unveil his vice presidential pick? And then, indeed, as you've been discussing in so much detail, what does he have to say in that speech to the nation, yes, to voters, to all of us about what's happened here and what it means for his predictive path forward.
Speaker 2: A story beneath the headlines today, Greg Courtier, how attacks on presidents and candidates have shaped US history. Will continue to see the shaping of this modern history, and you'll see that tonight at five pm. Joe Matthew and Kaylee Lane's leading our coverage from Milwaukee. Many more as there as well. Nancy Cook is there among others with Bloomberg News. Please stay with us through the day. As David mentioned with the headline for the Wall Street Journal, breaking news literally by the hour here through the day on an attempted assassination, a failure of assassination of the former President Donald Trump. Thanks again to all of our team at Bloomberg Surveillance for tireless coverage. We continue now worldwide Bloomberg Radio. Good Morning. This is a Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, bringing you the best in economics, finance, investment, and international relations. You can also watch the show live on YouTube. Visit the Bloomberg Podcast channel on YouTube to see the show weekday mornings from seven to ten am Eastern from our global headquarters in New York City. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen, and always on Bloomberg Radio, the Bloomberg Terminal, and the Bloomberg Business app