Speaker 1: This season, your coffee orders are getting warmer and your outfits are getting cozier. The world keeps changing, and so does COVID nineteen. That's why this season's COVID nineteen shots have been updated. They're one of the best ways to help protect yourself against COVID nineteen. You can get a COVID nineteen shot at the same visit as a flu shot if you're due for both, as recommended by the CDC. Talk to your healthcare provider to learn more and schedule at nacccenes dot gov. And don't forget to get extra Cinnamon Spice sponsored by Pfizer and buyon Tech the Fan.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Vikings Rewind presented by Omni Viking Lakes. Go to omnihotels dot com slash Viking Lakes to learn more. And I know what you're thinking. You're not Eric Nordquist. That no, I'm Brett Blakemore filling in for Noro today. Nordo is out. And I promise that maybe the last person you want to hear recapping a Viking's loss. I promise no snark, well minimal snark from me going forward to do my best to keep everything out of it.
Speaker 3: We're just talking about the Vikings game.
Speaker 2: We're gonna recap what happened in this first segment here and then listen to Kevin O'Connell, Jordanadisen, Kirk Cousins all coming up in the second segment of Vikings Rewind. And it was I don't want to say a boring first half because there were a lot of events, but a very low scoring first half. But the one thing we did get a lot of is there were a lot of fumbles in The Eagles started it.
Speaker 4: Off Ryan Wright facing a big rush with a high punt. Brittin Cooby floats to the right side. He'll give it a whirl from the eighth prints to the fifteen. He dropped it half the tenants bounding about, but the Eagles have recovered it. Oh, Brittain Covey got smacked.
Speaker 2: Well, could have been a big play for the Vikings. Turned out to be well, just Eagles ball. They ended up taking the lead on a field goal from Elliott three nothing Philadelphia and then the first of many.
Speaker 5: Snapped the ship post awful punch.
Speaker 4: Brandon Powell runs up on it at the forty six, shakes a tackle with the forty sevens prints right to the fifth. He's at the Eagles forty five to the forty. He dropped it, neil'n it, Come on man. Powell dropped it and the Eagles recovered it at the twenty seven. He went minus three in the take give last week. It's the single biggest threason the team lost. And now there.
Speaker 2: Minus won the turnover battle, proving costly again from Powell on the punt return. We're gonna take a brief walk away from the turnover game to say hello to Daniel Hunter.
Speaker 4: Hurts idled the shotgun play action, Jordan Hicks with a big rush, Jalen is contained and Jalen is sacked back at the forty one yard line. It's gonna be a loss of five yards. Several Vikings got in there as Jalen went to dancing.
Speaker 5: In the pocket.
Speaker 4: The Vikings have two sacks and now it's going to be second and Daniel Hunter with a second sack of the season.
Speaker 5: It'll be second and fifteen for the merge.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Neil, nice to see you, thanks for checking in. And the defense didn't stop there. The Eagles had trouble throwing the ball until we'll just chose not to and here's why.
Speaker 4: Goddard motions to the backfield. Thirty sixteen Jalen parks Fireston over the middle, intercepted by the Minnesota Vikings, had about the thirty five yard line. THEO Jackson, with his first National Football League interception, has turned over the favored Eagles.
Speaker 2: So Jackson gets the interception for the Vikings. They're only down three points. Everything's going right for the Purple until Alexander Madison.
Speaker 4: Hussins under center hands it off to Alexander Madison.
Speaker 5: He broughted the ball.
Speaker 4: Alexander though the ball at the thirty eight on our line light as he was going down and and no signal Eagles ball.
Speaker 5: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: No, We're not kidding you, Pete. Thanks for checking though, but no harm, no foul. Even though there was the second fumble so far because the Eagles missed a field goal, still was at three to nothing for Philadelphia, and then TJ.
Speaker 4: Howkinson strikes Hussins under center, puts Addison in motion the left play action.
Speaker 5: Hurt boots top to the left past his pack.
Speaker 4: Hockinson shakes the tackle, touchdown j Jay Hockinson and the Minnesota Vikings have claimed the lead.
Speaker 3: Happy Days for your Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 5: TJ.
Speaker 2: Hockinson puts them out in front seven to three, but the Eagles would answer right back with the patten and tush push on Jalen Hurt.
Speaker 4: Hirts goes to speaking, he darts to the left side. Touchdown philadelt the Eagles right up the middle, to the left of Kelsey, to the right of Randon Dickerson, their left guard, and for Jalen Hurts. That is this twenty fourth rushing touchdown the last two regular seasons.
Speaker 5: And Philip Deltia has reclaimed the lead.
Speaker 2: So the Eagles lead ten to seven, and we thought right at the verge of halftime that justin Jefferson, while it looked like either a touchdown or he was down at the one.
Speaker 5: Here comes the song.
Speaker 4: Reddick from his front side pass left caught Jefferson ha reaches for the end zone any Shorge Justin caught it at the five yard line and he got down to a one. So that's a catch of thirty yards with thirty three seconds to go in the first half. Excellent catch by Jefferson first involve Minnesota.
Speaker 6: What is what a great job, that's a that's a questionable thing.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they want to look at this and see if he fumbled it, because if he fumbled it out of bounds in the end zone, it's a touchback and it's Philadelphia's ball.
Speaker 2: A great effort from He's JJ. But to quote Lee Corso, not so fast, my friend.
Speaker 7: Review the fumble went over the pylon, which by.
Speaker 2: Day for philadelpatness. So what would have been a fourteen to ten lead for the Vikings probably going into halftime turns into a thirteen to seven deficit thanks to this long, long field goal.
Speaker 4: Rick Lovado snaps punter Sippos Hols Elliott from sixty one line draw getting close to the end to the goal post.
Speaker 5: It's good.
Speaker 4: I get Jake Kelly and from sixty one yards nineteen, a career long and eighteen record has kicked the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 5: To a thirteen devin lead.
Speaker 2: And there's your first half of Thursday Night football.
Speaker 3: The Eagles lead.
Speaker 2: What could have been a lead for the Vikings going to the half ended up being thirteen to seven for the Eagles. Let's go to the second half now, where the fumbles resumed again.
Speaker 4: Second down Eagles blitz kerk hit tripsack picked up by the Eagles and inside the ten yard line goes a defender. We now have fumbled the ball four times, and that is Fletcher Cox with.
Speaker 5: A fumble recovery.
Speaker 4: Fletcher, a four time All Pro, nearly got the fourth fumble recovery.
Speaker 5: Of his career. Eagles have the ball.
Speaker 4: Josh Swetz the one to force the fumble. Hurst and Gold Philadelphia from the seven.
Speaker 2: Rush was very hard to contain for your Vikings offensive line. Another example of that and version two. Right after that fumble of the tush push.
Speaker 4: Kirk goes to sneaking and he'll follow behemoth left guard Land and Dickerson right into the end zone. Touchdown Philadelphia second rushing touchdown for Jalen Hurts his twenty fifth new regular season. Over the last couple of years, he had two against the Vikings last year.
Speaker 5: He has two against the Vikings this year.
Speaker 4: And the Philadelphia Eagles have grabbed a nineteen.
Speaker 2: To seven lead, and after that field goal, the lead was up to twenty to seven for the Eagles and guess what.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, they weren't done.
Speaker 4: Jalen goes back to pass byers left Devonte Smith uncovered caught it for twenty fifteen ten five touchdown Philadelphia Eagles and Vonte Smith got behind to Caleb Evans. He had a fifty four yard reception earlier, the longest his career, and scratched that the sixty three yard catch is the longest of his.
Speaker 5: Career and Philly is opening up on the lead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty seven to seven isn't exactly ideal. Being in the third quarter. The credit to the Vikings. They started battling back, starting with rookie Jordan Adison.
Speaker 4: Cousins how of the shotgun steps up, he shoots one deep center of the field, and.
Speaker 5: It's caught Jordan Addison. Fifteen to ten. Touchdown.
Speaker 4: Jordan Addison with the second touchdown he scored this season. It's a sixty two yard touchdown throw from Kirk for Jordan. It is the longest reception of his career, and the Vikings have cut the margin to twenty seven thirteen.
Speaker 5: He's Jordan Addison.
Speaker 2: And again the Vikings would not go down without more of a fight. This time kJ Osborne strikes.
Speaker 4: Ninth play of a possession that's on seventy six yards and taken ju minute fifty six seconds.
Speaker 5: It's now first and goal for the Fightkings from.
Speaker 4: The ten Cousins under center play action to Madison's great drop, looks to the end zone, throws to a man wide open, touchdown Vikings. kJ Osbourne with his first touchdown this season. It's a ten yard touchdown, and it's twenty seven to twenty Philadelphia, and just.
Speaker 2: Like that, hold the phone, Cotton, we might have a football game. But the problem was as soon as the Eagles got the ball back, they kept running and running and running, eventually running all the way in the end zone.
Speaker 8: Second in goal, Hirch walks up to Jason Kelsey and now he walks back to DeAndre Swift to his wife, and we go back to Swift and heels around the left side and runs through an arm tackle by Harris and Smith.
Speaker 5: Touchdown Eagles.
Speaker 4: DeAndre Swift with his first touchdown wearing the colors, and the Eagles have opened up again thirty three to.
Speaker 3: Twenty one, and that would really be the nail in the coffin.
Speaker 2: Although one more touchdown was scored by your Minnesota Vikings, but really it only benefited TJ.
Speaker 3: Hawkinson Fantasy owners.
Speaker 4: Cousin's first and goal o's right Codd Hawkinson touchdown, Minnesota.
Speaker 3: T J.
Speaker 5: Hockinson with his second touchdown.
Speaker 2: This game short and sweet from Pa there. I mean it was at garbage time. I understand they did have the pass late. If Cousins would have connected, it would have been another Minneapolis but not in Minneapolis miracle. And I did think they had a chance to do it, but at the end of the day, it was kind of academic at that point in time in my humble opinion. And there's your final thirty four to twenty eight Eagles win. Your Vikings are zero to two. When come back on Vikings Rewind, we're gonna hear from Kevin O'Connell, Kirk Cousins, Jordan Mattison all talking about the laws and recapping that next on Vikings Rewind, presented by Omni Viking Lads.
Speaker 1: This season, your coffee orders are getting warmer and your outfits are getting cozier. The world keeps changing, and so does COVID nineteen. That's why this season's COVID nineteen shots have been updated. They're one of the best ways to help protect yourself against COVID nineteen. You can get a COVID nineteen shot at the same visit as a flu shot if you're due for both. As recommended by the CDC. Talk to your healthcare provider to learn more and schedule at nacccenes dot go, and don't forget to get extra Cinnamon Spice sponsored by Pfizer and buy on tech the fan.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Vikings, Rewind. I'm Brebler filling in for Nordo. I hope that was painless enough recapping the game, not too much snark for you. Let's go now to the locker room. Ben Leeber was joined by the coach, Kevin O'Connell.
Speaker 9: We are down in the Vikings locker room and yet with the head coach, Kevin O'Connell, and it does seem like second week in a row. It seems like we're kind of giving these games away. You know, these turnovers. That's the elephant in the room right now. You know, I know JJ was trying to go for the for the end zone there in the sack fumbles. Sometimes that's going to happen against a good front four. But the other two is it fundamentals, is it something else?
Speaker 5: What do you see?
Speaker 10: Well, clearly, you know, six fumbles in two games, and you're right, the stripsacks the way Kirk Cousins played tonight, dropping back with you know, we're down two or three linemen at different times. I mean, that was as impressive of a performance as I've seen of him, and we still had a chance to win the game because of the way he was able to play. But ultimately, Bennett's it's something that we take a daily focus in and clearly I got to do a better job, and it starts with me and our staff. We've got to emphasize it because although you know, you look at it and you say, you know, two playoff teams from a year ago, we've turned the ball over. We've lost a turnover battle seven to one in two games, and we've lost by a combined nine points, one of the witch being at the defending NFC champions House, and you just I'm tired of saying could.
Speaker 5: Have, would have should it.
Speaker 10: It's only two a week two already, So we've got to coach it better. We've got to emphasize it. Hopefully we can get healthy on the on the old line, hope, hopefully we can get some guys back at some point to continue to try to, you know, chase running the football better. But that's an incredibly difficult front seven around the football against and we were able to you know, move the football, but just not consistent enough with losing the ball as many times as we did, you know in the kicking game one time and then obviously three times offensively.
Speaker 9: You know, as brutal and as painful as that status the seven to one turnover ratio, but only losing by nine points? Is that still if you flip it around, something that you can use optimistically, that you can tell the team, look how close we are.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I told them in the locker room after the game, not very optimistically, but that's just the reality. I mean, you lose turnover battles in the NFL, your percentages, especially when you lose by three and back to back games, your percentages of winning those games are you know, they go down almost to next to nothing historically in this league. You know that band You've played on a lot of good defenses, and ultimately we've got we're not giving ourselves a chance to even compete to win football games. But yet we still are. And I think that's a you know, a big time reason with what is in the makeup of this team and what we could be. But like I said, how many we can't afford too many more opportunities I could have, would have should have had we not turned the football over.
Speaker 3: So I got to coach it better.
Speaker 10: Clearly, I haven't done a good enough job of emphasizing something that we talk about as much as we possibly can. It's part of our football philosophy. But you are what you put on tape, and right now, seven to one, losing turnover battle in twenty twenty three, we're not giving ourselves a chance to win these games. Now.
Speaker 9: The defense, you know, it looked like they were fast, they're aggressive, they're swarm of the ball. Early it looked like they're responding to sudden change really well. But then all of a sudden, it's the two fifty nine at the end of the game that they let up on the grounds. You know, how did you see it? What did you see from the rush defense? You know that kind of fell apart second quarter on.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they had a good game plan early on, Flow and his staff did they you know, gave a completely different presentation to our defense.
Speaker 6: Thought we were able.
Speaker 10: To get off the field early on. And really, Ben, it's a matter of with those first half possessions when we got them either a punt return inside, you know, their thirty five yard line or so, or just potentially putting the ball on the ground on a first and ten you know, first and ten run.
Speaker 3: Those were the times.
Speaker 10: Where you've got to get a lead against a team like that. Now we were able to come back and being on side kick away for potentially taking the lead, and not one guy in our team thought for a second that we didn't have a real chance to win this game with the momentum that was kind of coming. But we just asked the defense to do too much and I be on the field too much and try to overcome, certainly circumstances that are very very hard to overcome when you're playing at Philly. So we got to be better, got to find a way whatever, by any means necessary, find a way to run the football better. And then obviously we're always going to you know, have success to in the football with the way our guys are playing in that phase, and you know we're gonna use this many many buy this three week, three days as a staff to go back to work and try to do the best we can to come out of this thing ready to go win a game next Sunday at US Bank Stadium.
Speaker 2: From Ben Leeber and the coach to Gabe Henderson and Jordan Aison.
Speaker 6: We got Jordan Adison here, j you caught your second career NFL touchdown. Look look kind of similar to that touchdown you had at USC against Stanford. You spent around very athletic play. What did you see on that play that that kind of got you open?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 11: So we had we had Jets on the left side running the screen. I'm on the backside by myself. I knew once once Kirk pumped that Jets for the screen, I knew that the safety was gonna go over and I'm knowing I'm gonna have one on one. We we practice this all week and practice. So once they called my number and I knew it was my time. So I just ran a great route against one on one and made the play.
Speaker 3: And from Jordan Addison.
Speaker 2: We go to the presser post game with the quarterback Kirk Cousins, all.
Speaker 7: Right, tough, tough loss, you know, solid opponent. Uh, you know, shout ourselves in the foot with the turnovers. Similar story now the first two weeks and that in that case. I'm sure that's been said a lot to you guys now post game, but it ought to be and it's difficult to win in this league when you you know, lose the turnover battle by one, let alone by the margin we've lost it by so, uh, you know, we got to fix those mistakes and not let it continue. And then, you know, obviously proud of the way guys fought, continue to feel like we have, you know, guys who can make place and and be explosive and make this offense go. And you know, Kevin's gonna give us a lot opportunity to do that. So we're gonna call a lot of guys numbers. And yeah, I guess that's really all I have to say. So take any questions yet, Kurt.
Speaker 9: How were you able to overcome a lot of the pressure that they were able to create to still have to shoot back the pass the game overall?
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, I think it's a combination of, uh, you know, I was still getting you know, protection to be able to get through the progressions, and I think, you know, guys did a good job winning their man coverage matchups, their match coverages, and uh, you know, Kevin and the staff did a good job of you know, getting number one, number two open. So I wasn't having a sit in there too long, and it's just a combination. You know, the line did a good job, you know, mix up the snap count, trying to stay disciplined there. And there are a lot of moving parts when you go on the road, so you know, outside of the turnovers, felt like we did did a lot of good things. Good how confounding? Just is the turn of the turnover?
Speaker 10: Then?
Speaker 4: Is this so many? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think you look at each one as its own entity and you kind of look at it, well, why did that one happen? And is there a pattern? And in some cases there isn't. You know, if Justin is going out of bounds at the five yard line, he's not reaching, right, He's reaching because he thinks he has a chance there on the half yard line. So that one's kind of its own entity. And then yeah, have you know the sack fumble where I'm saying, okay, how was that one happened? Well, you know, I got to keep two hands in the balls as much as I can as a pastor. It's hard because you're you know, pulling your hand back, but you know, going back to two hands in the ball as much as possible. So each one is his own entity and and we just have to have to address them each that way.
Speaker 6: On the side, Hubble, looks like you had to take a couple of inches there.
Speaker 5: And did you feel the defenders stumping around you as you Is that a surprising Yeah?
Speaker 7: I didn't. I didn't see him, you know. I guess it's that old blindside you know term, But uh, yeah, her, why have you? And Justin Beale will have been be so productive even with other teams knowing that he's yeah Justin Jefferson. Yeah, so so they clearly do the way they cover him throughout the game. You know, they're very aware of where he is, and you can feel that and.
Speaker 5: Tell that, you know.
Speaker 7: I think our coaching staff is there's a lot of credit for for being very creative and uh intelligent, you know, with how to how to use him and and then you know he's we try to take advantage based on coverage. So if you know, sometimes he's not, I can't work him, you know, and I'm moving on. But there are other times where you say, you know, yes, they're they're aware of him, but I still can can make the throw. So I try to take advantage when the when the coverage allows it.
Speaker 1: To talk about in the past, Justin's ability to finish place see Jordan.
Speaker 7: Yeah, make that deep catch and as the finish, great line, great question, great line. That was the first thing I said to him when he came off the field on the sideline, I put my arm around and I just said, the finish is what I love. You know, he got his six points instead of running out, you know, with our red zone offense, and uh, that's tremendous. You know, if you watch his tape from college, he's catching post routes for Pitt's catching post routes for USC. He's good at it. When he first got here, I told him I watched his tape and that was what I saw, and he said it's my favorite route, and he said it with a lot lower energy than I just said it now. So, uh, he's a very natural receiver and that's going to show up in the way he runs, the way he catches the football, and the way he after the catch makes place.
Speaker 2: Krpel kJ was wide open.
Speaker 7: When kJ was wide open, which one are you saying? Oh yeah, yeah, good play design, Good play design, I like to call all week and it had it on my favorites list, and it's great design and they just you know, it was crossing patterns, so they have to decide whether we're going to pass it off or run with it. And I think they on one side decided to run with it, the other side decided to pass it off, and then he's able to kind of sneak through.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be saying it after two games in a row, but how do you kind of balance the urgency to fix the turnover and get better with kind of some encouragement from the way you're off into the being.
Speaker 9: Able to move the ball?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think you evaluate all football games in that light where you say, okay, let's we don't just look at it with one broad stroke brush and say, oh, we lost, that was bad, or we want and that was good. You know, if anything, have to avoid it when you win. You know, last year, I think there was a lot of times where we were winning, but you got to go back and be like, this isn't good enough, this isn't sustainable. And so there's a little bit of the opposite too when you lose. If saying hey, I liked what you did here, I liked what you did here. But obviously there's a you know, need to coach and fix things and and be hard on ourselves. You know, anytime you lose Kirk, I'm gonna I mean, you've talked about the ability to finish with Justin quite a bit too.
Speaker 5: Pretty arm himself on the sideline, amol. Is that kind of one of those where you don't want to dissuade him from doing that, even if it's.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, you have your you know, when you talk about security and fundamentals, you always say, you know, hey, don't reach for the end zone unless it's fourth down, and and yet players do it all the time and score a touchdown. And so you know, we often joke that, you know, don't reach for the end zone if you're not going to score. It's kind of the it's kind of the wink, you know. So it's tough, and the players are you know, instinct shroleing in the moment. You know, he's so aware of where he is in the field that you know he reaches for it. But I'm gonna be hard on myself, right, I'm gonna say, look, that ball shouldn't have stopped him. You know, the ball stops him, so we have to go up and get it and has to pull through what if I threw a perfect ball and what if it had dropped right in the bucket, Maybe he runs in untouched. So again going back to we don't even have to have that moment. If I can throw a perfect pass and drop it in the bucket.
Speaker 2: Tool you know that wraps up Vikings rewind presented by Omni Viking Lakes. Go to omnihotels dot com slash Viking Lakes for more information. Your Vikings lose to the Eagles thirty four twenty eight last night. Well, we have a great rest of your weekend, full schedule of programming this weekend.
Speaker 3: We'll see you then. Thanks for listening to the family.
Speaker 1: You do