Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: Urs what's going on.
Speaker 3: Universities are outdated and don't teach you how to become an entrepreneur. They just teach you how to become an employee.
Speaker 4: You go to school for four years and you leave with nothing but debt. But here are EYL University. Our curriculum is much different.
Speaker 3: Our university teaches you real world skills that you can use to gain financial freedom right away. In traditional universities, you learn from professors that have never did what they teach, and they teach you how to become an employee. At our university, we use instructors that are currently successful in specific field that they teach, and they teach you how to become an entrepreneur.
Speaker 4: For a limited time only, you can join EYL University for twenty five percent off of the annual membership. Learn about stocks, credit, real estate, crypto and more. Go to eyluniversity dot com right now and sign up to become an earner.
Speaker 2: Don't wait, don't hesitate it over there now.
Speaker 5: My graduates from my school being forced back.
Speaker 2: Drop drop, Mike, drop back dry. All right, guys, welcome back EYL.
Speaker 4: We are in La Sunny, Los Angeles, and this is something that we've been looking forward to for a while. It's gonna be a dope conversation. So healthcare is actually fitting because we just spoke about this on Market Monday's House, just thinking that healthcare is the biggest business in the world. It makes up twenty four percent of the American budget, which is the biggest by far. Second to that as the military, I think of like fifteen percent. So when you think of businesses, a lot of time we think of you know, a lot of different industries, but people don't necessarily think of healthcare as a business. It is a business. The biggest business is recession proof. It's everything proved, big business. People always die, people always go to the hospital, people always you know, get sick. So it's one of the things that has been around since the beginning of time, so isn't going anywhere. So today we have the privilege of speaking with not just any entrepreneur, an entrepreneur that has been in the business for a very long period of time and has been extremely successful. Tommy Duncan. So you might have heard him when we when we mentioned his name in the Rick Ross interview. He has a company called jet Doc and Rick Ross is an investor. I think he invested like a million dollars into the company, right, and so we mentioned him during that interview and we spoke about it briefly. But he has a vast career in the health industry. He actually sold his first company a while back, need about a million million, and a half and then he sold this other company and then did a whole bunch more money. Yeah, over one hundred millions. Yeah, yeah, for sure. So and now he started jet doc. So it's a very interesting conversation, I'm sure, a very educational conversation. And we'll be remiss if we didn't acknowledge our brother Dame Dash, who we have a mutual relationship with. So game actually just wrapped up a movie on Tommy's life called The Prince of Detroit's Right. So shout out to my brother, Dame Dash. We was at his house yesterday and he showed us the trailer to the movie and he was very excited about it. He's very excited about you as an entrepreneur. You know, gave us some background information. So shout out to Day. Yeah, shout out to Day. So first and foremost, thank you for joining us. Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Hey, no, it's good to be here, man, and it's at Prince of Detroit Film on I G Yeah, okay, you check it out. But here's something that's funny. You talk about healthcare. It is by far the largest economic injury in this country, but it's ugly money, so no one really pays attention to pays attention to it. You know, it's not entertainment anything sexy like that. But I just got back from Paris for fashion Week, so that the hottest show Balmon and I was there with a group of ten couples which were the VIP clients for the country, and out of those ten couples, at least five of the dudes we're in health care. So you think about fashion, all the sexy shit. You know, Cardi's there all set and all that stuff. Yeah, that's part of it too. But the folks with the money is actually spending in healthcare. Right, So, like Rashad, I live ten minutes from where we are, and my neighbors most of them are in health care.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. We're in Hollywood. In Hollywood, they in healthcare. Yeah, so how did you get started?
Speaker 4: You're a black man from Detroit, Michigan, So how did you get started in healthcare? Because the interesting thing that Dane was telling us, he was like, make sure you're asked him about this, Like it was like his family is already in the business, Like he actually already had the information and the knowledge and he grew up in the industry. And that's something that's very rare, especially in our community, Like we don't even go to the doctor majority of the time, and we have a bad relationship with medicine unfortunately and doctors, so let alone actually being in the business. So how did that go about as far as your family and and you growing up in that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I did you know?
Speaker 6: My mother was always been in healthcare and she got with my stepfather in about nineteen ninety, so the time I was ten years old and he was entrepreneurial, she was academic. They came together and ended up buying a hospital. It's one of the last black, for profit, black owned hospitals. It was called Southwest Detroit Hospital, but they renamed it United Community Hospital. They bought it from hud It was the seventy five million dollar hospital when it was built, but they bought it for two million dollars because it was in receivership bankruptcy. So they bought that, and then they coupled it with a HMO Health Maintenance Organization essentially an insurance company for low income people, people on Medicaid. So they operated that through the nineties and then so they operated I grew up in it, so literally when I was twelve thirteen, fourteen years old. I was on the sales team and I would go door to door in the projects and you know, different communities where there was a large population of people and go door doing ask people to sign up for medicaid. My parents company, it's called Ultimat. So I grew up selling people on health insurance for low income. And then the other time I spent I was actually at the hospital painting the basement, being a janitor and all that kind of stuff. But through that by Osmosis, I learned the business and through the nineties they had a business. I think at their apex they were doing about forty million dollars year in revenue, which at the time was a whole lot of money. You know, now things are different, it's a lot more money out here, but then that was a lot of money. They employed the most black people for any black business, and that's how I grew up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: Then I went to Florida and m got my NBA.
Speaker 2: In five years. You yeah, he went there for yeah? Yeah? Who did my brother? All right? What happened? He got home safe, He went to Saint John's, went back to New York. He got homesick, from fam. I never heard that. Yeah, probably was that around the Saint John. That's just the or it ain't told y'all.
Speaker 6: You've probably got some babies running around. Your fan was amazing. But I came back with my NBA and I thought I was going to take my family's business to the next level, and unfortunately around the same time, finding up losing everything. So you know what most black businesses do, particularly then without mentorship, which is what you are providing, which is what is missing in our community is mentorship. So what happens for us is those that are entrepreneurial gumption go out and then usually like anybody else, we are met with failure. Right, it doesn't go right, and then a lot of times, unfortunately we don't try again because with scar financially, emotionally and all that kind of shit.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: But that's what the wisdom is when you have the challenge, and so the right thing to do is come back into it and try again, do it smarter and be successful.
Speaker 2: But most people, for whatever reason don't do that.
Speaker 6: But my parents ended up invest everything in the hospital in HMO, so much so that when it all went under, they had no money in the bank, like they put up the house, in the business. They put it all in there, so we had the biggest house in Detroit. They literally put it up trying to save the hospital when they started going under, versus realizing your business is important, but it's not you. It's separate. It's separate dity, so treated as such. But of course they didn't. And then it was just like you know, American gangster.
Speaker 2: When he sees our huh which part? When he lost the house.
Speaker 6: And they lost the house, they lost the first and everything. The diamond my mother had a twelve caret diamond ring probably worth a million dollars. Now had to hawket, you know what I'm saying, lost everything But for me. Then I decided, you know, I'm going to take it and just build my own company and live on a legacy.
Speaker 2: So I did it. So I did that.
Speaker 6: Twenty six I started my own healthcare company, my first one, and then sold it.
Speaker 2: By a year later.
Speaker 6: That wass CCS care compensation specialist.
Speaker 2: So what was that we'll kind of company was?
Speaker 6: So there was this dude who used to work for my parents selling insurance, like I remember mentioned going door to door medicaid well, he was a real smooth guy, kind of looked like a Dbar's brother.
Speaker 2: Name I can't name the name, but anyway.
Speaker 6: I heard that he had started his own company doing Medicaid enrollment for hospitals. So he had got this partnership with the CEO of a hospital in Detroit, and the whole business was someone's uninsured. By law, the hospital has to take care of him no matter what the case is that they have no ability to pay. But then if you could do the paperwork to get that person enrolled in Medicaid. So the ID you know, doctor Bill's pir certificate, things that proved to the state who they are, Medicaid was in retroactively rembursed the hospital for services, and he would charge like twenty percent of the reimbursement, which you could have a nick you baby cost a million dollar bill be a million dollar bill, right, So if you're getting twin center that he made two one thousand dollars to doing paperwork. He was making so much money it was crazy. Like he literally was married and bought a big house and moved his girlfriend into the house with his.
Speaker 2: Wife and his kids.
Speaker 6: She let the girlfriend lived with the that's kind of money he was making everything. You could do anything with enough money.
Speaker 2: Detroit play.
Speaker 6: I'm saying, when you're at Detroit like that and not my household ain't gona right, But I'm saying, like a Detroit at the time, he literally moved his girlfriend and with his wife, he had palm trees flown in. He was making money. But my whole thing was in the d where it's called. But the whole thing was he had lost it because they had found out that CEO was in his pocket, or vice versa, and so he lost the contract. And so me, yeah to the street, Okay, boom, I'm gonna go figure out how I'm gonna get the contract. So I went and met with his chief operating officer and persuade her to come work with me, and then I did some other things get a contract, and that's how I started my first company.
Speaker 3: Can we go back just for a second, because you were obviously were born into the healthcare industry, but you your entrepreneurial journey had a lot of stops. Yeah, right, So I know that that you had the ice cream truck at fam you did you did the fish and sandwich. What did you learn from those businesses that said you know what, this isn't gonna work because you immediately said that didn't work, but you learned.
Speaker 2: Let me go back to my passion.
Speaker 6: No, for sure, So ice cream truck, like you said, you know, I was doing that because to my surprise, I mean, how you in Florida don't have ice cream trucks. In Detroit it's cold to much out of the year. You have ice cream trucks during the summertime. So I had my tahoe converted to ice cream truck. I was playing Masterpiece of ice Cream Man, which was you know what I mean, the biggest.
Speaker 2: Song of the radio at the time.
Speaker 6: But you had to have like what ice, you had to have hot ice in anyway, then my ice cream was melting and I really didn't like it.
Speaker 2: Like I was.
Speaker 6: I enjoyed being a dude who pulled up in the tahoe with the ice cream Man playing, but I didn't like the process of working on the ice cream itself. Then I ended up starting these these uh sandwich shops, the Fries Palm Fritz Fries and the Cone because I was in Amsterdam and the coffee shops drink a lot of coffee came out and I was hungry for whatever reason, and at these fries in the corns, I'm like, I'm about to be the next Ronom McDonald. I'm about to bring this to the United States. I'm about to kill McDonald's. But I came back and I did it, and I quickly realized even though I could grow the business because I could sell, I didn't like coming in, you know, having a machine where it had to cut and peel the fries. There's too much work, and then you have people complained, then the grease gets dirty. It's just I didn't like the businesses, so so even though I had built them, I didn't like it, so they ultimately all failed. Even though I got in the airport, I was twenty two, I had a restaurant in the airport. I was in the malls on the street side next to Florida State. I didn't love the business, so it wasn't working. And then I got lost in the business too, Right, So what can happen if it's not working the way I plan, which be the next Ronom McDonald. I started doing different things. I lost my way. So then I added shrimp to the menu. Right, so you know, black folks love shrimp. I'm up late, I'm open late, and I need to have fries. Well, then I started. I was in Florid, so let me do some Caribbean things. And I had some Caribbean foods, rice and beans. So before you know it, I lost my way with the company with a business, so ultimately failed, but then went back, came back to Detroit, and I came into healthcare because I knew healthcare. I knew it without even knowing that I knew it, you know. Like, so the biggest decisions I made in my last company that I sold, the Blue Cross, I knew just through Osmosi's living, I mean just living my life as a kid, remembering decisions that my parents made in their healthcare business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you ended up selling the first business, right, but you didn't just take cash, right, so it was like a stock option and the.
Speaker 6: First health care business. Yeah, I got stock options. So it's a funny story. I don't know if you want the whole story, but long story short, this company I was doing back in work because I didn't get a primary contract I was doing back in so basically their primary vendor, they couldn't get folks and road to Medicaid. They gave me the second shot. I was a garbage man. But for me, of course, I got them all to prove because that was my opportunity. And through doing so, this big company who just was on this pathway to go public, had decided they wanted to come visit me and either do one of two things, do a strategic partnership with me. When set of me charging twenty percent of reimbursement, I charged eight to ten percent. But I would get a bigger volume of work or they would buy my company. And so they came to visit me. I was in the shared office space like we worked. I just had one office. We had like two officers in there, and they had a shared conference room. And I paid people to act like they worked from me. You know, I paid like forty bucks a day. I gave them a one pager with you know, three bullet points. This named the company. You know what I'm saying. This is one page, you know, one line of what we do. And anyway, so I sold those folks and I didn't want to actate to work for me, but I sold the people on buy my company and I got stock options. So they made me a senior director. They gave me, which is the time I was spent myself forty grand a year my own company. They paid me two hundred thousand a year. I was twenty seven and it gave me a thousand stock.
Speaker 4: That's what Dean was telling us. He was like, make sure you asked me about that. He started a company with a virtual regious office and sold the company.
Speaker 6: I did it twice though. That was my first time. Second time, I want a half billion out of contract. So I was at work, you know what I'm saying by the dumpsters on the phone like snaked, Yeah, and I did that.
Speaker 2: So how did you had to read this office space? So all right, let's let's get into that situation.
Speaker 4: So you you you started the company, but in order for the company to be sold, it had to have looked like more than what it actually was, right, So that's why you got the regius office space, which anybody doesn't know region's office space reagis is like a shared office.
Speaker 6: What makes I tryed to do this business in Georgia and uh to be like a subcontractor. But I learned quick learned is no real money. Here's one thing I'll clarify is my lane has been healthcare that's really the niche of government contracting, because really that's what I was doing once I got on the side, and my last company that was contract with the government. So there was this company who I was going to be there the sub who's trying to do to work in Georgia, and I quickly realized there was no big money in that. So I want to get the Medicate managed care because Obamacare had just passed, which meant more people on Medicaid, which because of the way I grew up, I knew folks who Medicaid meant more people in medicate managed care.
Speaker 4: So let's just break this down. Medicaid is the government program health insurance. Yes for people low income people. Yes, so you get commissions if you signed people up for Medicaid.
Speaker 6: Well know, the way it works is if you actually own the insurance company, which is what my parents had that's providing the medical right, and then I got it. So here's what happens. The government has the money and they're responsible for paying all the bills for people on Medicaid. All right, Well, what's happened is we had the providers, the hospitals and doctors and service providers, which is build a government over build them two or three times for the same service build. You know, somebody could be ER level five, but they EUR level two, which means not that sick. But they'll build an ear level five, I mean super sick. They would get more money for it, so they would double build, triple bill do too much, and so the government decided in order to manage the spending, they need to put a police mechanism in the middle to police the providers, and those are the Medicaid managed care insurance companies. So they contract with us and they pay us a health insurance premium per member per month they assigned to us. So in DC, my first contract, my first month I got they assigned me thirty thousand people. They're paying me roughly, you know, five thousand dollars a year. They pay me one hundred So I was getting like twelve million dollars a month, five thousand dollars per person per year, a person per year. Yeah, and I had and they signed me thirty thousand people.
Speaker 2: So do the math.
Speaker 6: It's one hundred and fifty million years by twelve, like twelve million a month first contract. Before that have to be out the hospital bills though, same time, my member goes to the hospital, the doctor, the dentists gets prescriptions, emergency transportation not emergeny transporation. I pay for everything. And if those bills are greater and they have my costs, my administrative costs to pervert, provide the service, marketing, et cetera. If my costs are greater than what I got paid from the government, I lose money. So I'm at risk. But if they're lower than I make money.
Speaker 3: Okay, So yeah, no, So are there things that you can do obviously to prevent Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what like, what are some of the things that I was out cold? I was the coldest with it.
Speaker 6: So the average company in my industry is doing one point seven percent profit margins. You've run up to two percent. That's two percent, one hundred fifty million. It's like three million dollars a year, right, Well, that's the profit profit right. And there's some advanced accountants that look at all the past utilization patterns. How many times go to memergency room, home times ago impatient? It means they spend nine hospitals one night. How many folks are homeless and they how many folks have diabetes? How many folks you know, need a transplant, and they make all these assumptions to say, Okay, well we expect your cost to be X, so therefore your profit can be two percent. But of course me because Troy you the same way. I believe if somebody gave you and I got my coming up to twenty million revenue. So if somebody gave you twenty million dollars in revenue. By the way, a lot of companies lose money, like United was losing money. Are you gonna make money lose money?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make money, right, yeah, the show, it just hit me, It just hit me.
Speaker 6: Give me twenty million dollars. I'm about to make some money. Yeah, and I'm gonna make a whole lot of money. So they was maked two percent. I was making ten and then my ten was round and down. So I was making like twenty million a year and I should have made four million year.
Speaker 2: How come you were able to make way more higher profit margins in them?
Speaker 6: Because big companies are built with mediocre, mediocre people.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So Blue crossby Shield and these big companies, United Healthcare, Senting, they're big, and like every big coming, it's just mediocre, right, because no one really gives a shit because they don't own it. But me, I won't forty percent of my company. So if I make twenty mins, eight millions comeing to Tommy Duncan's pocket. You feel me. If I make four million, I'm only getting eight hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: So what I'm gonna do? I'm about to make the twenty?
Speaker 6: How do I do it? I'm going through the data. So I became in actuary in my own mind. So, like I said before about like the food business, I didn't like it. I like the process of it. So I wasn't gonna become a cook or a chef. I didn't like it. But in this business, I love this shit. So I became an accountant to a degree in advances accountant to call it actuaries. I looked at all of my data identified, okay, well, who's cost me the most money? By individual and by.
Speaker 2: Category?
Speaker 6: So I give an example, identified that anyone who was in my membership had any condition. They could be a type two diabetic, they could be on dialysis, whatever the case may be. But if they were also homeless, they cost me five x more expensive. So no matter what the condition they had, they were also homeless, I cost cost five hundred percent more. So what I decided to do is identify all of my members that were homeless and put together programs to get them into housing.
Speaker 2: Simple thing.
Speaker 6: So at this meeting, I had forty people there because it was open meeting, and I kind of lead from the front. I'm a ground up guy, so let's all talk. Everybody gets respected in the floor. And what I quickly realized is because of that safe environment, two women to raise hand said I had actually been homeless in DC, and homeless were the kids.
Speaker 2: They gave me the.
Speaker 6: Real So I thought I had the bright idea, was wrong. They gave me the real lead of land. We put together plans in place we would douce homelesses about fifty percent. So out of all the metrics and data in our industry of healthcare, the only metric that we needed to focus on was getting folks that were homeless into housing. It seems simple, right, We did it. Cost came now a fifty percent, and our possibility went up directly.
Speaker 4: So that's let's just go into that point minute. So just by actually looking at the numbers, you realized that the homeless people was actually costing you a lot more money. So you got to keep them on. So the way that solve it is housing. There are housing programs, but it's just a matter of most CEOs aren't really interested in.
Speaker 2: Community outreach and trying.
Speaker 4: So you actually going hand in hand and getting these people and saying like, look, we can get you a house, da da da, and we can put you in a shelter. And that way, not only are you getting them off the street, but you're actually increasing your profit revenue as well.
Speaker 3: That's why I was like, I get it. Once you said it, I get it. You do the programs for the homeless. You create exercise classes, you create nutrition programs, more entry people, less people have to go to get any type of treatment or have to go, increase the expenses.
Speaker 2: Trow one hundred per sent right.
Speaker 6: So we actually built these community centers called our recenters in the hood. So in a TURFCE neighborhood in DC, we had four of them all throughout the district. And most of these companies call them corporate call wherever you want to call them. They ain't stepping foot in the hood and employees aren't, so we end up attracting people that were comfortable being the hood.
Speaker 2: I call it the hood.
Speaker 6: But when you're around the people that you're serving, you can affect them because you're actually communicating with them and you get them. You build a trust where they actually pay attention to what you are putting forth, they know the resources, and their behavior has changed for the positive.
Speaker 4: So that's how you was able to increase just looking at stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Studying analytics.
Speaker 3: So you went from one percent where the average was one percent point set and so that's how.
Speaker 2: You got to the ten percent. I was over ten killing them, killing them.
Speaker 6: But the problem is, and actually wrote a book trying to change the policy for medicating the country.
Speaker 2: I sent it to you.
Speaker 6: It's called the Trading Dollar Medicaid Monster addresses single payer everything you've heard about politically that knowing fully understands addresses all of it, simplifies it. I took it to the person that runs ran centerce Medicare and Medicaid for the country to change policy.
Speaker 2: Gave three policies to change, and.
Speaker 6: He told me there's no way he could do it because one of the policies is affected into law through Obamacare and it'll be too hard to change policy. But what that policy is a mandatory medical loss ratio requirement. What that means is, remember the government pays us a health insurance premium per member per month five thousand per year, breaking down per month for one of bucks per month per person tracking, Well, let's use a five grand per year number. The requirement is that eighty five percent of that money has to be spent on direct costs of care, so hospital, doctor, pharmacy. Then I get, you know whatever, twelve percent left, thirteen percent left to cover my administrator spence, and then two percent profit margin. But the management medical loss ratio is the eighty five percent. Well, if you do things that I was doing, get people who are homeless in the housing, reduce costs of care, then you're going to be less than eighty five percent.
Speaker 3: Because I'm thinking, like, if you did it in DC, this model seems like it could be scalable.
Speaker 6: Right, Like, why can't we do it Detroit, New York City? Well, because it's political, it's hard to win the contracts. It's a big game. So let me tell you how. Let me tell you something else about to the entrepreneurs out here, go to what the opportunity is. I feel like a lot of times what we do is individuals, not just black but just in general is we believe whether whoever our God is or our universe is, you know, it's all on us, right, so God bless us, and it's.
Speaker 2: Just wherever we are.
Speaker 6: But the truth is, the environment has a big impact on your opportunity. And I was in Detroit in the money. Detroit, d C. Is a special place, and a lot of black folks who have been successful come through DC, A lot of them. You look them up. Most of them got to start a BT. You go through really look at black folks who made it big. Most of them spent time in DC. And the reason is because DC is the only place that has a governor's budget but as black ran. So you look at any other state in this country. You go look at New York City, who knows what's gonna happen until a degree it may not really matter. You look at Atlanta, Georgia, you go to Detroit, Michigan. You got all these you know, big cities which have a black mayor. But the mayor budgets are small because the governor government got the money. Governor's got more money. They can actually move than the president United States because they like the biggest CEOs in this country but no one talks about it.
Speaker 2: So how many black governments do you know? None?
Speaker 6: Come on, Why is that they control the money? Sorry, they control the money. Governors control the money.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you.
Speaker 6: Out of the city of Atlanta, because I spent time there. With any city, a big contract to be a million dollars. You get a contract with the airport, you got a concession, you said you may you make a half million dollars a year.
Speaker 2: It's big.
Speaker 6: Any contract over three million, so three four five million, and it'd be construction. But the problem with construction for an entrepreneurs that there's a lot of expenses in construction. You gotta have equipment, you gotta have a million people. You can't make any profit. But governors controlled. Let me watch this. Watch this. The second largest procurement in history of United States was Georgia medicaid. I'm sorry, Wash Florida medicaid three years ago. It's one hundred and twenty billion dollar contract. Right now, over the next three months, California's put out their medicaid contract. Medicaid what I was doing, it's going to be a two hundred billion dollar contract, two hundred billion over five years, two hundred billion dollars five years medicaid.
Speaker 2: What I was doing. Who controls that? The governor?
Speaker 6: I mean, you don't have to get a big piece to get a lot of money. But d C is special.
Speaker 2: Because d C governor's budget.
Speaker 6: It's a government's budget, and the mayor is the governor. And she's a black one.
Speaker 2: Because that's for her. It was a black man. So it's a district of Columbia, so it's not a state, so it's a territory. So we got the budget. The mayor is technically the governor's in and they got the budget. Is the budget of power? Budget based on population?
Speaker 3: How do they determine the budget based on populations in tax base?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Okay, but DC is beautiful place. It's small with a big tax base. And uh, they got the power. And then the other thing DC did through form I were mayor for life, Marion Barry was the first place to institute a real program. Maybe Georgia did it, but DC did it powerfully where every contract that comes out of DC has to have thirty percent minority participation. Now they what happens. There is a lot of times that black companies.
Speaker 2: Will come in.
Speaker 6: It tried to do small shit do small things right unintentionally. But they'll do janitorial service, they'll do marketing contract ahvag they do printing. But there ain't no money. I mean relatively speaking, what I was doing. I came in as a prime and I got the prime contract, So I was getting two hundre million dollars year out of DC government. Well, the problem with the companies that like I had is I couldn't find a smaller black business to give a contract to that was worth thirty percent. They couldn't do the work, they didn't have the infrastructure, they weren't trying to do anything worth the bigger spend. But DC, let me tell you right now, to Medicaid contracts, because they did an expansion DC right now, it's probably three billion dollars a year, just a little a little old DC three billion dollars. Well, of that thirty percent, how much is that almost a billion dollars has to be spent with minorities? How much you write really things being spent with the minority companies in DC? I could tell you because we had to do hearings because there weren't enough to spend.
Speaker 2: Probably, yeah, no more than ten million, not even ten five five five million from a billion, not even that much. I'm saying. It's like it's just not the companies aren't there. The companies aren't there to do the work.
Speaker 6: And look, I mean we put game in the system by putting money in a black bank, but that's not really spending money. That's just money sitting. And even that's like small. But anyway, my points are that there's opportunity all over the place, particularly in DC, and this way to navigate it, the way that I did it, you know, but as an ospruar, you should look at your environment, see where you're at.
Speaker 3: The skill I mean navigating through government contracts is obviously a skill.
Speaker 2: Where did you develop this? Was it watching your parents.
Speaker 3: Go through the hospital or was it something that you learned when you were at a VP at your first company.
Speaker 6: On one side, my experience with my parents, you know, having all these employees, you know, all the politicians coming through every day, taught me government contracting because that's a lot of it is a sense of I don't call a quid pro quote, it's a pro quote.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: There is a fundamental human principle called reciprocity.
Speaker 2: Right, you do for me, I do for you.
Speaker 6: But you ain't doing it for me. I ain't doing much for you. And the reason you need to get my attention is because you want me to prioritize your priority.
Speaker 2: I got my own priorities.
Speaker 6: So in order to do that, you got to incentivize me my experience that a creative taught me, train me. And that's the skills that I deployed when I looked at all of my data and identified which one moved the needle as I gave the example with the homeless program and executed and put together operating rhythm to push every day to improve our performance. He had a conversation earlier Troy about you're asking me if someone wins the office, and it was with Shay. The question was, well, while they keep raising money. Yeah, they keep raising money because they may be borrowing to pay for the TV commercials and they need to pay that money back. The other thing that happens too is they always want to have more money because they can then king make or queen make. So now let's say the person's mayor or governor, and now they want to hand pick city council, right, so they want to give that city councilor member that they want so they know that they'll vote for whatever they their initiatives are. They need to raise money for them, so they'll take the money that they raise for their campaign and then donate it to Kingmate to kind of build a powerful position in government so they can make decisions they want to make and help folks that they want to help. The other reason is if they lose, they got debt. See, if you win, you can always raise money because now folks want to participate with you, right the business people. But when you lose, then you may have one hundred thousand dollars in debt, a million dollars in debt, and no one's gonna give you any money really because you lost.
Speaker 2: So they always raise money just case they lose to But anyway, so.
Speaker 6: The understanding government relationships and understanding what people want by the other side is training in Troy. I got my training on how to operate my business at the highest level through my company at a creative. When I sold my company to a creative, they taught me how to analyze data, how to synthesize it, how to analyze and identify out of all of the data points and metrics, what actually moves in need of the most and then create an operational rigor to push every day to improve performance.
Speaker 2: I think that's incredible, Right.
Speaker 3: A lot of times people here, someone sold their company and they took the cash and they walked away and tried to create a new company. Whereas you sold the company and stayed on and learned, yes, skills to help you before you created a new company.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's incredible.
Speaker 6: And that's why we killed them. Yeah, my last company, we killed them and it benefited me financially. So my last company based upon the size, So if you just look at the metric of number of members, which is usually how they value managed care companies, we would have sold our company for forty million dollars, but because we were so profitable, we sold a.
Speaker 2: Company f one hundred and twenty million dollars.
Speaker 6: And that profitability was a was directly driven by really the training I received at the creative to understand the data and then pushing it.
Speaker 4: So what was the last company that you sold, Like, what was the same type of services provide insurance?
Speaker 6: That was insurance, that was a Medicaid health plan, that was Medicaid insurance trusted or trusted.
Speaker 2: So you was providing the insurance for the Medicaid.
Speaker 6: So people who have Medicaid, they have an insurance company, and I was one of the providers.
Speaker 2: This is interesting, It's something that I've never even heard of.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Medicare, you actually bought a healthcare plan from Michigan Tenant in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Tenants the largest for profit health care system in the country. So here's how it goes. It kind of makes to both right. So one, there was a person who used to be a Supreme Court justice in Michigan, and we're very close with my parents when I became when I started my entrepreneurial journey, remember my parents. The other thing about government business is when you're on the positive side where people like you, it's extraordinarily beneficial. But then something can happen when you get on the wrong side of politics. And so my parents got on the wrong side and lost everything. But then I was building my own. This person became a good friend of mine, kind of like a mentor to a degree, and it just so happened. He ended up becoming the CEO of one of the tenant hospitals in Detroit, and he told me that from corporate they had made a decision to sell their Medicaid help plan assets. And because of that relationship, he told me about it. And then I contacted a guy who I made chairman of my board. He's a very good friend of mine. I contacted so my guy who was running the hospital told me. I contacted my guy who is in that world of high power executives in healthcare, which none of them were black. He talked to them and they confirmed, yes, we are looking to sell their asset. And so you know, within a few months they sold the tours.
Speaker 3: What's the type of tag on that, because I know you later sold it to Henry Ford.
Speaker 2: We bought it for.
Speaker 6: Well, we had to put in it's called risk base capital. I think all in we probably put in like thirteen million, ok, you know, and then three years later we sold it for twenty two and a half. Yeah, but it was a crazy story. But here's the real story. That ain't the story how much money we made. The real story, Troy, is that we bought it and they gave us these financials which showed it was making six million dollars a year in profit, half million a month, half million a month, half million a month. The first month I owned it, we lost a million dollars, Oh you did. So they sell me an asset with all the financials. It's a big public traded company, right, one that you would trust. Half million dollars a month they make it. But somehow my first month I lose a maion. Second month I lose another million, Third month I lose another million. So now what's happening. My private equity partners are come to take my company over from me. I got stories with days they come to take it from it. They said, now we gotta put money in the company. Of course, time you can't put the money up, so we gotta put the money up. We gonna delute you down and take your equity to put the money up. And it's becoming hostile because we have our investors, who's money in this thing. We gotta do what we have to do to retain as much value as we can. So now they start showing up in my office every day, taking over my finance. So put my CFO out the way, took over his office and coming every day. So I'm all right, now I gotta fix the problem.
Speaker 2: So fix problem? How do I do it?
Speaker 6: Make all my vendors renegotiate their rates for me cut everything in half, or I'm suing y'all and I'm claiming fraud. And so now I called a State of Michigan. So here's what things. No matter how big the companies are, company is in healthcare, there's one thing that can destroy a company.
Speaker 2: It's called compliance.
Speaker 6: So the government believes that a company is not being compliant, they could tank the whole company. And so I proactively called the State of Michigan's insurance bureau, even though our percentage.
Speaker 2: If they called me, they didn't.
Speaker 6: I called them and I was threatening, well listen if the insurance bureau approved them. So what happens is when you're an insurance company, you make a profit. You can't really take your profits out every year. You just retain them and then when you sell your company, then you get all your money. So when they sold the company, we gave them thirteen million, they took like ten million out the company that they had to retain earnings. So then I contacted insurance bureau and I threatened, I tell you a funny story too, you know, let me tell you the story. So I called the insurance bureau, say no, I'm on record, call them to have a meeting being in healthcare for ever. So we go there and I got my private equity partners right, and they talking all this shit to me. They trying to take my company from me. Dudes resign from the board so they can sue me. So I knew that do resign for the board. That means they about to sue because they can't sue me being on the board because it's complex adventuest. So I'm like, all right, this is a Jewish guy. They about to sue me, and I got all these problems. They take it over my company anyway, So we go and now I got to get my money back. I don't forget my money back, and I renegotiate my VNDER contracts. I can save everything. So we get to Dallas and all these guys people come to to me to all thisselff to me. We get there and they quiet scared to talk.
Speaker 2: But here's what thing.
Speaker 6: So I threatened the dude. I said, yeah, you know, y'all took that money out and you sold the company to me. And you know I got to meet with insurance bureau. They want to meet with me about what happened because they see that financials have deteriorated. So I don't know, but that's the problem. So the dude, he said, ah, I did this team talking. I come back, I said, you know, I mean the insurance bureau and y'all took that money out. I don't know what they want to talk about. He kind of ignored again. I said the third time, I'm sorry, sorry, I say. He said, God, damn it, duncan if you threatened me one more time. I looked at him, I looked out the window. I said, all right, I won't say it again. That's gonna make sure you heard me.
Speaker 2: Came back.
Speaker 6: I promised you a day later, and they agreed to give us some money back. Got my money back, and still renegotiated my contracts with my providers who had to pay my vendors. So then now now that they get my money back, now my cost with Lord going forward set up making money.
Speaker 2: I probably made another twenty million. It's unbelievable. It's unbelievable, so said.
Speaker 6: I got my pe partners off of me and save my company end up being more profitable, and then Henry's. But then the company still wasn't making money, and it was it wasn't working. So I was able to get Henry Ford health System health System in Detroit to buy my company, and I made a profit so on something that was losing a million dollars a month, it could a taint everything. DC could at taint everything. I ended up up some one hundred twenty minon outs they pross all over the place, and.
Speaker 4: Then the very oh so yeah, I don't want to just breeze over one hundred and twenty million. You sold the company for so all right, so what is the What was the process of you selling that? Like when was you saying, okay, this is the time to start actively looking for somebody to buy it, or did they approach you and talk about that, like how you actually value the ebadah and all of that stuff, like how you value the selling of a company, because a lot of times people just hit like I sold the company, but they don't actually know like the details that go into selling a company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so okay, first.
Speaker 6: In our industry, because I got so many stories, I can tell you what should be fun, But in our industry there.
Speaker 3: Is This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success, little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member fdic.
Speaker 7: Erners.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon. Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot Com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 8: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 7: It was a new game day scratches from the California Lottery players everything. Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 8: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 7: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game that's off of now.
Speaker 8: Coach, one more question play than you Los Angeles Charger, San Francisco forty nine ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Pease play Responsibly. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase or claim.
Speaker 6: Framework for how you value our companies right, and it's ebit US roughly eight times EBI to right. So you could value it that way, or as I told you before, you value it on the total number of membership, So call it like a million dollars of members. Forty thousand members have million dollars, but it'd be like forty million dollars right, Or you could do it boyut EBITDA. So but what happened with US is I didn't want to sell my company. I wanted to keep it and keep growing it. The problem I ran into is even though we were the highest performing on every metric, we're the most profitable, you know, every metric about getting people healthier, we were the best at it. I couldn't win other states because what I tell you, we had no black governors. You know, it's just and you had that black governor to push to win a contract, and we didn't have it. And my PE partners, I didn't want to be deluted, so I don't want them putting up too much money, and then I get deluted. So I'm owning you know, five ten percent of company where I built it from scratch. It's the time I was owning forty I want to keep my forty. See all these different factors. So but then what happened, let's shared with you. So anyway, so my pe firm when they bought in, So I started a company without private equity. I had a partner of mine who I met out here in La Do, a good friend of mine who arranged to put up the first couple million dollars. And then I end up having them bought out because relationship dynamics got difficult to manage through.
Speaker 2: So got in bought out and we got bought out.
Speaker 6: The company was worth twenty five million dollars total, so p came in at twenty five million. But remember I sould was one hundred twenty millions. But when they came in three years earlier, you know, their whole thing is you make a profit, you create value, then you sell it and you have this you know this game. So they had been looking to sell the company, but I kept wanting to stay in the game because to me, shit, if I'm worth a hundred million dollars now and we're small, if I get bigger, we're worth more a day and two billion, I mean I can keep going. But one thing that I think was a mistake, that I made Is. I started making so much money that I got got loose, and I was just starting to spend too much.
Speaker 2: So I was sharing with Shot earlier.
Speaker 6: You know, I did, amongst many things, I had this big party in New York City where I told him I also had Tretch.
Speaker 2: I had Naughty Boy Naguor, I had uh at Christmas. At Christmas, PRIs probably had Genuine.
Speaker 6: I danced with Genuine doing the moves and ship.
Speaker 3: I mean I was.
Speaker 2: We had Freddie Jackson, you call it.
Speaker 6: I had everybody showing up. I was like reinvigorating careers. Real talk the first verses. Yeah, real talk. But but let me tell you what happened. So when you're in healthcare in government, there's always these fundraisers, small not for profits trying to raise money, and it's like this important thing in all the politicians show up. So I'm at this Christmas dinner and this one woman who's like CEO of some small not for profit organizational healthcare.
Speaker 2: She comes up to me.
Speaker 6: She yeah, time to hear you making all this money. You know you're doing real well.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 6: And when she made that comment, I knew.
Speaker 2: Coming out just like.
Speaker 6: Remember, yeah, man said put the mink on through and through it in in the in the uh, in the fireplace, and I'm like, damn the word and got out.
Speaker 3: The trusts, the Pink Catalact and good Fellas Pink Cali, good Fellas, Oh take that ship back.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 6: But I bought a Bentley when I got to d C. I had a red uh Note eleven because of my first company. But I never drove it and I sold it because I had to be low key. But then you start making so much money you just can't help yourself.
Speaker 2: I bought a Bentley. I'm kind of I'm driving.
Speaker 6: I'm driving, driving like this and ship like real talking my hat down out in the city and it's in DC is small.
Speaker 2: Well, I couldn't.
Speaker 6: You can't control yourself. You cannot control yourself in this situation. In the situation itself possible, It's impossible.
Speaker 2: That's why every movie the same should happen. No matter how much advice you get, you couldn't do it.
Speaker 6: So but but here's a here's a but here's a real life story. So right, the pink Cadillac, you know, the Chinchilla. When I was growing up, it's about the time we lost everything and I came back home to try to save it. My stepfather had just sold a piece of property which was attached to the hospital for two million dollars and he was running around with his two million dollar check and he was showing it off. It was one moment he was in the casino in Detroit and he and it was this dude I don't mention his name who my stepfather was bragging to, Oh, you know, y'all think y'all hurting me because he was going to beat out of politics. I said, I just got two may and he's showing a two million dollars check, and I truly believe and he'll tell you that was the start of the full collapse, right. He was he could maybe fix it. But after that it just it was a rap because this dude controlled the hospital. He was a general counsel for the hospital, and they just started suing the h most. The long story short, I knew at that moment it was a rap for me. So therefore I needed to sell the company to extract as much value as I can before end up losing everything. And the thing about government contracts, in any contract business, is it has its positives, it's pros, It has its cons Now. The positives contract business is that once you have a contract, you got revenue flow right, Boom revenue flaw. The downside is when you lose your contract, animo revenue flow right. So I went from getting two an a million dollars year coming through. So now if I don't have nothing, I lose my contract, I have zero.
Speaker 2: So I'm not a.
Speaker 6: Situation where I could go from verry risky. It's all risks, it's all enough and it's literally all enoughing right now. If you're in retail business, what our cause like red restaurant are you're selling something, whatever you're doing, and you have customers buying your product and service, they don't just cut you off. You know you have a real business, right But in contract you can lose everything. The problem with the retails you got to build this big business. I start off, I got a two a million dollars year RepA damn.
Speaker 2: I mean it's big difference, big difference. You got to y'all. You know, you got to build.
Speaker 6: But then when you get it, you're not as much at risk contract, you're full risk. My partners were putting pressure on me to sell it, and I'm like, all right, I need to sell this company before I end up with nothing.
Speaker 3: So you sold January twenty twenty. Yeah, and then you announced three weeks later JEDDOK, which is where you're at now.
Speaker 2: One week later, we both I want to just go back to you quick.
Speaker 4: So this is very important for people, especially black entrepreneurs, because a lot of times I feel like we have it's a gift in the curse, but we have a deep emotional attachment to our business and people always criticize, not always by lives. Time they criticize people, it's like, well, we can never really grow as a community if we keep selling our businesses. But when you have to understand that there's no emotional attachment to business, you have to look at it from a very rational standpoint, and it's like you can sell a business and then scale to another business as well. So once you saw that a they was going to come at you because your lifestyle and then be just the risk, you just realized you did a calculation in your head, yep, and said it's time to go.
Speaker 2: That's right, exactly right.
Speaker 6: And because the where I grew up and again, my mother had a twelve care diamond ring and she gave way for practically nothing, and all the furs and the cars and the house and everything, because they were trying to keep that business open that clearly was closing. Gave way everything trying to keep it open. I realized that the most attachment was more of a curse and a blessing. Did you reach out to Blue Cross Bushel or did they reach out to you to sell it? And said they reached out to me. They reached out and then they were trying to get rid of me, so you know. So then the district did this thing where they did another procurement, a new contract. So I just want a five year contract. Like eight months later they say, no, we're gonna do it again. We're gonna do another contract. See now you have to go through the process of winning a contract again. I just won, so I thought, except for five years, I mean, you know, I can try to grow or whatever. But then eight months later they put gonna do another procurement after they cut my race twice. Remember not making so much money, they cut my rates twice, only me, and then they did this new procurement, which to me was a message they kicking me out.
Speaker 2: It's a rap. So but I love out of DC.
Speaker 6: You know, Blue Cross Connect connected with me said they wanted to be in the medicaid space and the company they bought didn't win the contract, but instead they were encouraged and not negotiate a good deal.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Yeah, yeah, so so you sell that then and then jet That's yes, I was saying.
Speaker 3: And as you see the walls closing in, yeah, you're already drawn up the vision for the next thing.
Speaker 2: So talk about that process.
Speaker 3: I know it's closing in, but here comes the next thing, which is Jet Doc, which you announced a week after you saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I didn't like, you know, I didn't want to sell my company, and I felt like I was being forced out, and not just in d C, but I felt like I'm the smartest person in healthcare, and I wrote a book to prove it.
Speaker 2: I really am.
Speaker 6: No one knows better than I do, because no one's been found of CEO like I have. So it's one thing you know something because you work for somebody, another thing like what y'all doing? You know that you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's different. So I knew it. I'm smart.
Speaker 6: I grew up in it, so I fifth second generation, I mean and when my mother and my stepfather started in the business, they were guinea pigging this concept to medicate managed care. And of course they started in the black communities because that's where the guinea pig. But because of that, my parents had the first experience with it. So like, no one knows the game better than I do. So I felt like I was being put on the sideline of the industry right, and I was mad about it. And so even though I knew I was about to make this money, I was pissed. And so I started another company and my plan was and launched his next company a week later, and then you know, shocked the world with that. Unfortunately that didn't happened it. You know, I launched jet Dot February first of twenty twenty with this concept of telehealth cause I knew that's where the game was going pre pandemic, because I looked through all my again, I've looked to all my claims. Oh, I got a lot of claims with your little claims which can be done over telephone versus somebody having to park the car going to the office see a doctor for zyptromac a Z pack. They's doing on the phone boom ba boom. And the doctor is not a big risk because it's a Z pack. It's easy, right, So I knew that's where when I looked at my claims, I paid off many claims.
Speaker 2: You know, boom. This is where healthcare is going.
Speaker 6: I launched February first on my own technology building myself. But then pandemic hits like March fifteenth, and I go from being early till late because now my tech I'm I just I'm a month in the building.
Speaker 2: My tech.
Speaker 6: My tech went ready until until September.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was late.
Speaker 6: And then I thought, okay, well I'm still good. So I'm self financing because I want partners, because I had pee partners last time, private equity.
Speaker 2: Self finance that don't let that go over your heah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: But sometimes a good idea, sometimes it's not the great idea.
Speaker 2: It depends.
Speaker 6: But I wanted full control of this. I thought it was going to be like a Grand Slam, A self financed it. And then I go out here to market like being about to kill them. It was right before Labor Day last year. I'm about to kill them. I'm about to give away you know, free doctor visits. But because I had stripe on the app. I had to charge lease of dollars. I'm gonna do dollar dollar doctor visits. And the next morning I wake up, I didn't had that mini. You know what I'm saying people on my app? Why now spend the money on advertising? And I look at all the comments. They think they're, you know, not real doctors, the Dr Pepper, you know, voodoo doctors, doctor dre whatever, you know, doctor day, doctor Dre. It wasn't real, and so people didn't assess value to what I was trying to sell, and really is amazing value properties and actually included discount pharmacy where anyone can go to any farms in the country get a priest to cost some medication.
Speaker 2: It's unheard of.
Speaker 6: But because I wasn't getting attraction I expected to get, I decided to do celebrity route like everybody else and go influencer. I got with Rick Ross and then we launched this big thing earlier this year, and again I actually kind of got it working. You know, my number is one hundred people per day. If I got one hundred people to day sign up for jet Doc, it was booming a subscription model. The problem is I g's like fifty people to day. Actually that wasn't a problem. Fifty people day would have been okay. The problem is that I spent four hundred thousand dollars that a month in advertising. I ain't spent one thousand dollars a month for the fifty people a day. I just can't you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: They can't justify it. No, I ain't doing that. So but that was my problem.
Speaker 6: So then I had to make another pivot. Business people do if you're gonna be in business. So I pivoted. My pivot was I'm gonna go back. Remember the guy I told you who I made chairman of my board, who's at the highest level of health care in this country most probably top ten most problem for people health care in this country by far, used to run CMS. He's a friend of mine. I hit him about what I'm doing. They gave me a recurring license contract, which is valuable when you're in the tech business. So back to valuation, service business and healthcare. Eight to ten x EBITA, which is pre tax profit.
Speaker 2: You know what the EBIT the stands for.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization EBIT die, so pre tax profit eight to ten x is roughly ware you're gonna end up services.
Speaker 2: But if you're in tech, it's like twenty two or something like that.
Speaker 6: Bank Bank, And that's why I want to get a tech That's why they did detect. So they're gonna give me a million dollars a year in recurrent revenue, so call time. So well that's twenty two MILLI dollars country, I'm worth twenty two million off the top. I actually got a eventuation of seventeen million.
Speaker 4: And that is I'm glad you said that. So that is how you value a company. It's like the money that you're making. I'm trying to break this down as easy for people to understand as possible. The money that you make after all the expenses and all of that is done every single year. And then you have multiple So depending on what industry you're in, that will determine your multiple. So you were saying healthcare's multiples of eight, but in tech is like in twenty plus twenty plus.
Speaker 6: And here's another thing about tech. Tech will give you a multiplier of top line revenue. I'm talking about ebit does after expenses and taxes. I mean, it's after expenses net is net. Tech is gross gross. So you're doing a million dollars a year, you getting ten fifteen, that's fifteen million, your a couple of contracts. Now you're forty million. I mean, and you're just doing tech.
Speaker 2: So why is that?
Speaker 6: Because tech is just so explosive and it's just the because it's scale, so scalable, because if wor it's here, you'll work anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 6: Once you've build a tech and it has an application, what it costs of scale it is minimum. But services you get in more people, you have more infrastructure, more blah blah blah. So tech is a sixty place to be. So the dude connects me with the company and then they end up investing giving me an anchor contract. And so now we're actually at the closed age of winning. Appears to be winning a statewide contract to provide telehealth services. And we have another company that we're looking to.
Speaker 4: Do business with a few more and so telling doot. So what's the revenue census? You say you started with like a doubt? How much is it now? I mean, well we still got to say jet dotah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yet that's a competition.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, yeah, I was acting about that. So jet dot you started with a dollar, how much is it now?
Speaker 6: So it doesn't matter really because now it's twenty dollars a month, but we're ten dollars a month unlimited. But it doesn't matter. Well, it does matter, but it's not my priority. That's director consumer. So people in Georgia and Florida can still call it jet docs. See a doctor, get it, this got medication boom. It's all easy, pay a twenty bucks a visit. But what I've transitioned into is business to business. So that's when I was sharing with Troy earlier. There's an opportunity where you know, I'm going to address homelessness. It's a major problem, which means the major opper. What we found again through my math uh when I did in DC, is average person spends five x more expensive if they're also homeless. The average expense per year is about twenty grand a year. So somebody's homeless, on average, they cost us twenty thousand dollars a year. That's entire Medicaid manage caare industry. Well, had some folks at the homeless that cost twenty grand a year. Remember you only get PAI five thousand years, each person's losing fifteen grand. But then you have other people who don't see the doctor at always seeing pay five grand a year. So you know, you get you get paying out zero but you're getting five thousand, so kind of to a degree, not always average way out, but you know it gets close to it. And that's where the two percent problem arete comes from and you shake all that out. But HOMELETSS is a big problem. It's the biggest impactor on the healthcare industry. No one really talks about. So, and we've had homeless people that were using the emergence room fifteen twenty thirty times a month, right, knowing what to say to be admitted impatient, I mean the impatient means they spend in the hospital east one night. So somebody wants to get a meal, they wanted to stay in the hospital, or for whatever reason, they want to get some more medications, maybe because they need them, maybe because they want to sell them. Who knows, they know what to say to get it. And then the insurance comes to paying the bill, or it's just cold down, its cold ever whatever, right, but it costs money. Somebody goes in patient. Maybe it cost us fifteen.
Speaker 2: Thousand dollars, and you can't turn somebody down, no, So it.
Speaker 6: Costs fifteen thousand. Right, Well, if they stay on average, which is five nights, I'm paying three thousand dollars a night back. They could be staying with me at the Plasta Hotel and Penhouse Sweep. That's what I'm paying. So the opportunity is getting folks that are homeless into housing. And there's a big opportunity. I was giving you a quick mathty in Oakland, California, we're talking to a big company. Let's say they have ten thousand members, twenty thousand dollars a year. They mean to spend two hundred million dollars a year on homeless members on healthcare for their homeless two undre million.
Speaker 2: Dollars a year. I proved it in DC.
Speaker 6: I cut my homeless members in half by fifty and half, which is fifty percent, and it costs came down accordingly. So if I took a two hundred million dollar baseline and I cut it in half, that means a hundred million dollars in savings. If I got half of that, I may fit man. And they made fifty. They say fifty for giving me the contract. It's a lot of money.
Speaker 4: So that's that's the revenue models, not really the consumer. It's more business in government government contracts too.
Speaker 6: That's government or business business. So another company like the one that I had, I can go contract with him and say, I know how to save money I was doing. I was doing ten percent, twelve percent profit margins.
Speaker 2: You're doing you're trying to do too? Are you helping?
Speaker 3: So that that that is a formula for Oakland. We know homelessness is a huge problem in la as well. Yeah, can that also be replicated here? One hundred percent? The thing is I'm friends with the CEO of a big help planing.
Speaker 2: In Oakland and Oakland relationships, rightships.
Speaker 6: But once you pilot anything anywhere successful, then did undred percent.
Speaker 2: So the whole idea of virtual doctor visits.
Speaker 4: Teleerdoct is a well known company who's a publicly traded company, but people are still a little lary about this.
Speaker 2: So you have a virtual doctor visit.
Speaker 4: What Because I've never done this before, can you kind of explain to me what is a virtual doctor visit? Because I'm assuming that it's some limitations involved, like you can only see somebody, you can't like hit that hell bow and check that cough and all that. So, like, how does that work? And do you think that this is something that will be the normal moving forward?
Speaker 6: I do in the current in the current state of technology and its limitations, most all health visits are you know, you have flu symptoms, or maybe you think you may have COVID symptoms, or you have a headache, you need some strong advil or something that you don't need to see a doctor. You know it, and the doctors knows it. You don't need to see them in person. And so you download the app and you basically are like a zoom called the FaceTime with the doctor and you talk to them about your symptoms and they're going to prescribe your medication. And then in jet doc then the doct will automatically send the script wherever pharmacy feel is most convenient for you. You go pick it up, you get a five cent off constant medication. The discount card is embedded in the app. Where healthcare is going is more sophisticated technology, which we're on the forefront of that with this contract we have. I was just sharing with you where we're including with our app, integrated remote patient monitoring so folks that diabetic negocometers to measure the sugar the blood in their shirt, the sugar in their blood, and so we're integrating like a post eximity to.
Speaker 2: See what their you know, uh, their heartbeat is.
Speaker 6: But we're we're integrating these into our app so it's fully integrated. So now you can have you know, devices that have advanced huh, what's the word photography capabilities. They can actually see more clear than your iPhone what's going on. So you can actually use devices or smart scales to get more information. So you're actually replicating an in person visit without being in person. So that technology doing the way and we're in the forefront of it. We're building this integrated application with jet dot to have twenty remote patient monitoring devices fully integrated.
Speaker 2: To the system.
Speaker 3: So pre COVID, in the tele health space, there was an average about projected average, about eight hundred thousand visits eight hundred thousand visits a month. Obviously, post COVID that number has run to a billions, So that means it's a lot of people in the space. So what's jet Dot's plan to separate it? Because I know Shoddy mentioned a company as a competition, how do you separate yourselves from the rest of the competition.
Speaker 6: The reality is I got to figure out what I want to do. So you know, there's so much room. First of all, I answered question, it's a lot of room. There's room galore, and there's room galore direct consumer. There's so many different pockets of opportunities. So whether you focus on mental health, do you focus on this niche? Over here, there's a telecompany that's been very successful doing transgender care actually transgender or transgender.
Speaker 2: Friendly, what have you.
Speaker 6: And all the members are transgend because they have their own health care issues, right, and so it's very focused. So what's happening now is the telecompanies are trying to figure out what the niche is. Right, STDs is a big niche, so fire out with the niche is our opportunity for it for nicheng direct consumer. But also when you do direct to business, I mean how a business are is a trade of them, so there's always things you can try to do something new and different, which means the opportunity to grow B to B is pretty massive as well. But when I was saying I got to fiure out what I want to do, is you know how far I want to take it. You know, if you ask me a year ago, tw years, got to tell them to take it all the way, you know, pulkly, trade it own, to control it, make it a legacy business.
Speaker 2: Am I there right now? You know I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm still thinking about that. So do I just want to create it, create value and sell it and have another hit and maybe getting a TV life but tuned, stay tuned. But that's the decision, you know, to how to make it? You know where the passion lies and is it still burning?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this before we wrap some general questions.
Speaker 4: You say, you wrote the book Medicare Medicaid we always had these issues that you know, it's so flawed, And you said, can you give us one of the solutions that you have in the book or something that why is it so flawed?
Speaker 6: And what are some like at least one thing you under think can be done to fix it? You understand it. It's get rid of mandatory medical loss racial requirements. So I shared with you earlier, out of one hundred dollars we receive in revenue, we were required by a lot of spend eighty five dollars out of one hundred eighty five percent on the direct cost of care hospital, doctor, pharmacy, dental, transportation.
Speaker 2: Et cetera.
Speaker 6: Well, if you spend eighty five percent of your dollar every year, medical cost inflation is two percent. It's been two percent forever, which means next year you're going to be spending your total costs. So the governments won paying the total costs. The taxpayers are paying, so eighty five it's like compound interest eighty What was eighty five percent not eighty five point two percent?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: And then the next year is eighty five point two plus another two percent, so not eighty five point two, it's two percent of eighty five. It's great net, right, it's like one point seven. So then I goes up to eighty seven percent. Every year, the cost healthcare keeps going up because of inflation, and you're requiring folks to spend that money. You did know what I'm saying. So every year the cost of healthcare goes up. That's why it's crazy.
Speaker 2: What what you want to do is.
Speaker 6: Get rid of mandatory medical lost racial requirements and then incentivize companies to reduce the total cost care for their membership.
Speaker 2: And by doing that they would.
Speaker 6: What should be the case is if they reduce their cost to actually get more contracts with governments to do more business. That's usually how it works, like Walmart. Lower of cost, the more business you get. But the way government has said it is they have these mandatory medical lost racial requirements, which means you have to spend eighty percent of your money and if you spend less than that, it's not legal. Well, the reason they do that, the government has done that is what they have been afraid of, are insurance companies skimping on care for the purposes of retaining it is profit.
Speaker 2: So let's say Troy needs to go, you know, get some imaging done.
Speaker 6: He has some heart palpitation or something he wants to get checked out. Their worry that me is an insurance company. Let's say I'm Blue Cross, we should and he's my member. I say no, Troy, you can't go get this this imaging service because it's not a cover benefit, or I just don't want you to do it because you know it's gonna cost me a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: You're insured.
Speaker 6: So to protect against that, to protect the people, they make these mandatory medical lost racial requirements. But the truth is in healthcare, because of somebody goes to emergency room, by law, the hospital has to see the person, and by law, I got to pay the bill. Then the percent of spending that can really be affected by me trying to skip on services, it's like less than ten percent, So it's really like seven percent. So if I can only affect seven percent, why are you forcing this system to overspend on the other ninety three percent?
Speaker 2: You dig what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: What should be the case, like anything in capitalism, is if I can get my cost lower, I should be able to get more business. I should be incentivized to get my cost down. And the only way to really get cost down in healthcare is get people healthier. Is but I explained to you on the homeless issue, I cut my costs in half because I got.
Speaker 2: Half my people housing.
Speaker 6: So I was sitting down at sixty five percent medical loss ratio, which the government thought was a bad thing. Was while they forced me to get out of the industry where sixty five per cent is a good thing, because guess what happens if I'm in sixty five and the system is.
Speaker 2: Set to where.
Speaker 6: I get more business because I'm a lower cost provider than my other competitors. To guess what, the big companies that are in health insurance will now actually compete to get their cost lower.
Speaker 2: So if I had an impact.
Speaker 6: Doing things with homelessness and all this other stuff I did reducing you know, man, I had people, matter had thousand of people who I stopped from from being hooked to dallas for the rest of their life. I call it Diallasis bro If somebody has an A one ce which basically measuring the blood that the sugar in someone's blood, if they're if it's five and a half or greater, that means they're diabetics. So it's less than five and a half, they're pre diabetic. No, actually less than seven, yeah, less than seven, you know, less than seven.
Speaker 2: But I have people.
Speaker 6: But then you let's say that a one see eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, that means any day they could be in.
Speaker 2: They could require Dallasis.
Speaker 6: And that's a that's a bad thing because now the thousands every day for the rest of their life until they get a transplant or they die. I had some thousand people, thousand people because I looked at my data who had A one seeds that were over seven who have a one seeds that were growing over a period of time. Right, they at seven point five out they had a nine. Oh, I better focus on these people, get them in the care, get them a gukama that give me real time notification when it spikes. And then my staff, you want to reach out to them.
Speaker 2: What do you have for lunch? Oh?
Speaker 6: You think it's healthy to eat eat food all the time.
Speaker 2: Guess what? Not so much?
Speaker 6: You know, what are you doing in changing the behaviors?
Speaker 2: Right? Fruit? Fruit?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? A lot of times food. People think food it breaks down your body and sugar, that's right, no question.
Speaker 6: So people think they're doing something healthy, but it's killing. But listen, listen, people watch this. Thousands of people, thousand people my aunt included, and many people y'all know included. But my aunt was on h room to authritis since the last thirty four years. Well, to treat room to the aarthritis is medications and most of them attack the kidney right, so over time.
Speaker 2: It'll interiorate the kidney before you know it.
Speaker 6: They need dallasis, but not because of lifestyle or eating habits, just because they're on a medication to treat something and instead it burns the kidney up and now she's on dallasis We have thousand people that we identified through medications they're on and how long they're on it.
Speaker 2: They had a one cs that were rising that we move a one.
Speaker 6: C from being in the hot bed the hot land of any day, now you could be on dallasis Dallas's role to being pre diabetic. Lifestyle behavior changes thousands of people because I care diet next to did diet most of his diet and medication compliance. A lot of people don't taking medication. Why sometimes make some shit or dialysis or not. Dallasis diarrhea right, Sure, a side effects me so much health care can be fixed. But here's my real point. My point is we identify all these triggers and we did something about it, and through doing something about it, we gave people longer life, healthier life. Folks we avoided folks on dialysis and all those impacts. But not only that, we save a lot of money in the process. Because somebody is on dialysis. Guess what it cost us every year eighty five thousand. When you include dialysis and going to the emergency room with a couple of times, its being impatient eighty five thousand dollars years, but I'm Onlyn paid five thousand, which means I'm losing eighty thousand dollars per person on Dallasis or what did I do.
Speaker 2: I'm getting on the front moment.
Speaker 6: But what happens there, I save money and people have better healthier lives.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: But that's a little old Tommy Dunky because Tommy duncan, which also I care about people, and the profit goes to my own pocketbook.
Speaker 2: So I'm doing these.
Speaker 6: Things which are making a big difference that big companies aren't doing them. But if they actually incentivize, if you get your cost lower, which you can only do it doing things I just share with you, then the big companies will actually do what I'm doing, and they would do it way better because they have all the resources in the world, but right now they have no incentivized incentive to do it. Instead then centive it is just keep things status quo, which is why health care outcomes and status quo and the cost of system keeps going up every year, and the governor and the governments don't do sit.
Speaker 2: How do we change it? Get political action?
Speaker 6: Political action, man, You just got to get political action, man.
Speaker 2: You got to get black governor. That's my that's my that's my headline. Get the black governor. That's what you need to do. When's the last black governor in America? In Virginia? New York own the last guy, but.
Speaker 4: That was that wasn't real. He was the governor. No, no disrespect to Patterson, but he wasn't elected.
Speaker 6: He wasn't elected, but he served as for and then he got out of it. But yeah, somebody coming in like you got it, you know what they're doing Virginia. That was the last elected black governor. Yeah, this guy named I can't remember his name, but somebody really coming in. You know, it's a plan that what they're doing. They got a squad. You know, they have relationships now, you know.
Speaker 4: But even but even with the governor, like even if it's a black governor's like I feel like you know better than me obviously, But this billions of dollars that's made in people being sick, Like you might have been losing money, but there's other companies and other people that's actually making money from people being sick. Treatments, hospitals, company and companies. Yes, okay, so the lobby, it might be you know too strong to push it, no matter who's the president or the governor or I.
Speaker 6: Agree with that, but somebody has to have audacity. And eliminated medical loss ratio actually can be viewed as a positive thing, even for the biotech companies, because then they would start to design things and market to the provider groups and insurance companies. Look and I actually keep people healthier and out the hospital. This medication is better or different. For this reason, the government has taken the stance because of what I shared earlier that if you do not police the insurance companies from skimping on care, there will skimp on care and that will be to the detriment of the public. And what I'm sharing with you is the way the system is designed from the inside. The only skip you could do is no more than some percent of total spending. So you're sacrificing nine three percent because of this seven percent which happens all the time.
Speaker 4: There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. Princess Detroit had spoken another classic. I appreciate you, brother, So what what do the people need to tap in?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Can you say your information all of them making that you have about jet dot, Instagram, website and all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: I do it all.
Speaker 6: But before I do, I just want to make the comment any entrepreneurs out there, do your research on your business. You know, research the industry. What are the success rates? Where the failure rates and failure rates are okay? But why do they fail? You know, calculate your risk. Don't just jump out there. Calculate it. You know, particularly if you're an adult, meaning you have you know, responsibilities and you just can't just quit your job. I know so many people quit their job, then they're gonna open the business. Then that business don't work, then they don't have a job, board business. You know, all my businesses I started, I had something already gone, right, I had this going I started mind, so I calculated my risk. Yeah, I could lose it all. I could lose a lot, but I ain't gonna lose it all. At the time I started my decent business, I had a son, I was married with a son, and my wife was pregnant. Right, so I did these things. Again, I calculated my risk. So do your research. Understand your industry, Understand what is the best upside. Are you going into a lifestyle business, meaning you just be profitable and you make a million dollars a year, and you know, if that's the highest subside, that's a great lifestyle. But no, that's what you get into. Or you're trying to do a value creation business.
Speaker 2: Do what I did.
Speaker 6: You create something that may take a little more time. Maybe it goes fast because the technology, but guess what now you sell it four hundred million dollars billion dollars and then you actually get a lump sum of money. And I will tell you this, When you get lump some money, it's a beautiful thing. You could make five million dollars a year, that sounds good, right, you can make ten million a year. But then you got half of taxes. And then you got lifestyle. You got a big house, you're living out here, you got a thousand cars. You know, you're spending your money. But you get that lump sum, that big check, and that money be working for you. Got to work that money working you did. You know what I'm saying, Like my money works, I ain't gotta do shiit. My money be working in the stock market and this is just working on its own. And that's where I decided I wanted to be, and that's where I'm at, but really know what you're trying to get into and what you're trying to get out of it. You know, do your research at your homework. When I want a contract in DC is because I did. And addition to all things I talked about, right, you know, I did a political stuff for government contracts to people and all that kind of smooth stuff. But also I put together the best plan for the district. Right, understood where the power was it was in DC. I understood the program for cbe for the minority business of DC. I understood all the healthcare can all the I read every article about healthcare in d C. DC is broken up by war to eight wards like borough is probably New York. I understood the health issues of each borough in New York, and I put together a plan for and so anyway, I just really avi I to do their homework, you know, calculate the risks, do your homework, but take risks.
Speaker 2: Right. My shirt says what high risk.
Speaker 6: I'm a high risk, high reward guy, you know. But uh, you know, if you want more, you gotta do more. That being said Tommy two duncan on, I g at Tommy two duncan Uh jet doc my jet doc when I that dot dot com the Prince of Detroit Film, Go check that out, Prince of Detroit Film. That's what I'm doing. I'm having fun with that, and I got other things popping. But what I love to do on anything Rashot and Troy's talk about entrepreneurship to help people be successful. I feel like that's what what's missing in our community is real mentorship on kind of ropes to skip the ropes of note and I feel like y'all are doing it, and so I appreciate you having me on the show to do my little part.
Speaker 4: Thank you, appreciate you man. I'm glad we was able to connect. Definitely look forward to, you know, establishing a stronger relationship. Tons and tons of information and it's one of these things where we don't know a lot about, you know, the type of informational topics when it comes to healthcare, and just to have somebody you know, that we can relate to. That's kind of been the formul of our success is just bring people on that people can relate to and break down very complex situations and make them understandable. And that's what you did. So thank you for joining us. Can I do one more thing for sure, one more thing all right?
Speaker 6: Right now, because of social media, every industry is up for disruption. It's the first time in history. So before you know, most black people, folks who come from where we come from, had barriers right resources, know how I talked about that like real mentorship, but even access to resources. How do you get to clients? It costs money to market. Now through social media, I promise you everything is up for disruption. You could start a hot sauce company, mark that hot sauce and before you know it, you'll be bigger than Red Hot. You look around at pillows, anything you can see it's all up for disruption. And it's the first time in history. That's the case where people can go from whatever they're doing to become a billionaire overnight because they can talk directly to consumers.
Speaker 2: That's like us.
Speaker 4: We also say the whole industry when it comes to finance, and we have a show called Market Monday. Shott to Ian our partner on that, and it's like massively successful show. Every single Monday we talk about stocks and investing. So shout out to Josh Brown. Josh Brown is on CNBC and he's been on Wall Street for like thirty years.
Speaker 2: Good guy.
Speaker 4: So he was talking and he was like, yeah, your legia. I got the show and he was like them, they're influencing financial markets. He's like, there's like seven thousand people watching the show live. Like they're influencing financial markets more than anybody on the street.
Speaker 2: Geez. He said that, and that was crazy. But it's true crazy, and it's like, you know what I'm saying. It's just said. It's like it's that's game changing, man. Yeah, the disruption at its finest. So I'll leave you with this.
Speaker 6: Make sure you know you're doing what you're doing, have somebody legal doing your research, keep you all in compliance, because it's more powfer you get they're be coming at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what they said that. He just said that. That's what Dave said yesterday. That's a fact.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that, brother, definitely definitely Troy housekeeping items.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I want to, I want to. Dame also said that we should mention this that there was a wolf of will Street. This is the wolf of healthcare. Yeah, heth wolf of healthcare and I had the word Prince of Detroit. We might have to nominate him for another title, because this is this is pretty legendary. That being said, shout out to Jed Talk And one of the things I know that you guys probed yourself on is affordability and accessibility, and so I want to encourage people just to check it out.
Speaker 2: Just check it out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, shout everybody on pictureon dot com. That is our proud to paid program. Shout told earners that on their shout to everybody. E y l University staff has grown, y'all. Shout out to the earners and shout everybody, uh with the merch. I know y'all see us with the exclusive merch.
Speaker 4: Oh, speaking of Detroit, shout out to my boy Chill. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no, that's Southwest's son and he gave me this murch He's real.
Speaker 2: He's a friend of good friend. It's very rare when we wear something that's not show. But my man Chill.
Speaker 4: They just got in the legal marijuana business and working with Al Harrington. Shout out to Al Harrington Viola and they got a strand and this was a drop of his new strands. So shout out to Chill. Shout out to his dad, Southwest. He got a chance to chop it up with him, good guy. Shout out to all the guys in Detroit, man, real, real, solid, old school type of just get money. Yeah, you know, it's a good vibe out there.
Speaker 2: That's my city. I like it man. So shout shout out to my boy chill Man. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But again, shout shout to the merch team. Shout to that boy Mike eye Ballguard for the exclusive drops. We got something that we brewing. Trust me, it's gonna be major. Uh Yeah, love us love.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys for rocking with us. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 5: Peace, My graduates from my school being force back drop b drop Mike, drop back drop drop.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need