Speaker 1: I'm reading this really good novel called The Rabbit Hutch by Tess Gunti Gunty g u n t Y. It won the National Book Award. I guess the year came out. I'm not sure what year came out, but it's a recent book. It has this incredible it's so well written. She is just an incredible writer, like sentenced by sentence, like one of my favorite prose writers I've read in a long time. And she has this this sequence or this segment of the book where there's a it's not really giving anything away, but there's a character. Because it's a series of characters, and each chapter is like a different character. And I haven't gotten to the part of the novel where I think they all come kind of come together.
Speaker 2: But anyway, at one point.
Speaker 1: You you're introduced to this character whose mother was a.
Speaker 2: Very successful child actress.
Speaker 1: And lived her in higher life and was a horrible mother to him, but a very successful child actress who you know, And I just love this description so well.
Speaker 2: And you find out that she was a child actress.
Speaker 1: And then you get like three pages and I want to read you two of them because it's such an incredible description.
Speaker 2: Okay, so she was.
Speaker 1: It basically introduces her and says she was a bad mother, and then the mother's problem was that she never turned around when she heard mom in a public space. She was an actress first and only when she was four years old. Her scarlet hair and greedy parents won her the professional lottery, and she had been working since the age of five. Baptized in binary waters of worship and disgust. You're perfect, You're doing everything wrong. Hush, speak up, You're clever, you pretty little idiot. Show us your dance. Hold still, give us a song. Be quiet, imitate, be an original. You're just like her and her and her. Dazzle us. Don't draw attention to yourself. All eyes on you. You're not the center of the universe. You're perfect.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with you?
Speaker 1: She was the nation's supply of sugar in the acrid years following World War Two, a time of traumatized father's economic prosperity and an international deficit of psychological health. Her job never allowed her to be a child, so her psychology never allowed her to age. It was not advisable for a child to have a child, but she so childish like to disobey in her teens and twenties, The actress built herself a fortress of glass and mirror and held whimsical parties there. Bad things happened to the young actress, as they often did. Rejection, rape, anorexia, addiction, cast aside by an older married man, her first love, as the director warned, horrible whigs. But mostly the violence was administered by the attention, which was the wrong kind of light. Radiation that burned her gave her melanoma of the spirit. She learned to grip and collect the things she liked, learned that pleasure was the intravenous nutrient that could keep her alive. To frame it that way was dramatic, she knew, But then again, she was dramatic. So what she could say to the army of bad knights that appeared at her gate, I still have all these strapping good nights. She invented a religion of pleasure and dedicated herself to it. She was petite, All her friends were enormous. She liked alcohol and drugs. She liked traveling between realms of consciousness without going through security or stamping her passport.
Speaker 2: She liked force.
Speaker 3: How if you were.
Speaker 1: Strong enough, you could make anyone do anything. She liked avocado three days ripe. She did not like the ocean and accuse people of bragging when they claimed to love it. Sometimes she'd sit in front of the Pacific and try to feel something, but her heart was too landlocked, too midwestern. All she felt when she looked at the ocean was the presence of the absence of all. Isn't that amazing at somebody who's met a child act?
Speaker 2: I just you can be what.
Speaker 1: A way to describe, right, And just like in two pages, you know this entire woman's life. You know everything about her, you know why she's the way she is. It's so it's funny, it's fun to read. It's just one of the you guys should read this book.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable. And this is a sidecarre.
Speaker 1: This is like not the main character, you know, like always her son is.
Speaker 2: One of the main characters. Just brilliant. I just yeah, what an what an author?
Speaker 4: Oh and by the way, how amazing to teach you about your character by going so in depth in just two pages about the person who raised that character. You now have such an understanding of what he must be like, having craved attention and comfort and security and looked to the person like that for you know, a moral compass and uh, you know affection love Like wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you also feel really sorry for someone you hate, right, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: That's the best writing, does that, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, And I just love like you know, we've we've made the joke or made the comment that fame is trauma, you know, and like this is such an accurate way to describe that. Like basically, you know, it's like, oh, yeah, she's she's dramatic, but that was kind of why she was who she was.
Speaker 2: It's like so all the sort of paradoxes of success.
Speaker 1: You know, at a young age, and like how that it's not just that though, it's also the the one that hit me the most is and I never got this from my parents, but you get it.
Speaker 3: Got it from early managers and agents the.
Speaker 1: Be quiet now dance exactly. We want you to be exactly like everybody else, but be original. It's it's oh my god, like that whole paragraph of just like I don't want anyone to see you now be the center of attention, and it's yeah, it's so good, very very.
Speaker 2: I know, man, it's really like it makes me mootual like, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really well done.
Speaker 4: Say the name of the book and the author Warmer Time for the Rabbit Hutch by Test Gunty. The Rabbit Hutch by Test Hunty. I know me too, I'm going to read it. I'm currently reading The Silent Patient.
Speaker 2: M Yes, oh I read that you audiobook?
Speaker 5: Yees.
Speaker 6: Oh it's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've devoured it. I just started it on Sunday and I'm more than halfway down to so fast really great reading. Will what are you reading right now? What fantasy novel are you reading?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 7: I am like almost done with Mina Savar's memoirs. I'm on kind of an actor memoir kick.
Speaker 1: Oh, so this is this passes that I read? It's perfect then, yeah, exactly, That's why I kind of brought it back to that. So yeah, not quite done with that one yet. But she sent copies to all of us, So I'm reading that one.
Speaker 6: I love that. I did not get my copy.
Speaker 3: Oh you didn't, really you got a copy.
Speaker 2: She only mailed you a copy.
Speaker 3: Maybe she didn't mail it. Maybe I bought it. Maybe I bought it. I can't remember. I'm trying to think.
Speaker 7: Somebody said, you clicked on Amazon Alison Stoner. Alison Stoner, they sent me their their memoir, but I have not read their memoir yet, so that might be next. But yes, I think I bought Minasavars after she came on the pod and told us about how tough her life was.
Speaker 3: I was like, Okay, I want to read your book. So I think that's what it was.
Speaker 6: Okay, welcome to Pod Meets World.
Speaker 4: I'm Daniel Fischel, I'm right or Strong, and I'm Wilfordell. When Pod Meets World debuted back in twenty twenty two, there were a handful of fan led boy Meets World podcasts in the ether, and the last thing we wanted to do was walk into the scene the three child stars of the show and pretend they didn't exist. And so we did our due diligence and found.
Speaker 6: Our favorite Bruh meets World. And since we were looking for a fan.
Speaker 4: Voice to come in at the end of every season to ask questions and make sure we didn't miss anything, a tradition was born. For the past six seasons, TC and Siege, who had already finished their own Rewatch, have swung by to fill in the gaps and speak for the masses. And to close the loop, they are doing it again. What do they want to know about season seven and the end of the show that we didn't cover or is there just anything they want to know more about let's find out. Let's please welcome to the podcast Bruh Meets World.
Speaker 8: Yeah, guess who's back.
Speaker 6: Up our tradition. I can't believe it.
Speaker 9: You can't believe it's been the seven seasons already.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's it's.
Speaker 7: Really I know, it really has I know when it came to a screeching halt.
Speaker 6: Sure, you guys warned us.
Speaker 4: You guys warned us that we were not gonna love season seven. You had hinted to it even way back at the very beginning of us doing this, and then as we closer and closer to it, the hints.
Speaker 6: Ramped up a little bit. So here we are.
Speaker 4: We're so excited to talk to you about your thoughts, your thoughts on our season.
Speaker 6: Uh, get to your questions and all of that.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, I want start with the question you typically ask us. Okay, every time you come on here, you're like, Hey, did we ruin anything for you guys?
Speaker 8: And you know.
Speaker 9: Traditionally we're like, actually, no, you didn't really ruin anything. For a lot of insight, all those things.
Speaker 8: Still are true.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I guess the question is we have for you after watching seven years of this show, has any of it been ruined for you?
Speaker 6: Great question? No, not for me.
Speaker 4: I feel like I finally have a true understanding of why this show is something people still care about thirty years later, and why so many people say Boy Meets World raised me. I understand why they see themselves.
Speaker 6: In you know, Corey, Sean Topanga, Eric, Why now as.
Speaker 4: Adults they see themselves in Alan Amy and Feenie. I feel like I have now now joined the ranks of the biggest Boy Meets World fans, Whereas before I just thought, well this people like this show.
Speaker 6: I guess that's must be how people feel about all shows. You know, there's but I really feel like I understand now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree, it's see. Season seven is definitely.
Speaker 2: Not a great way to end.
Speaker 5: It's too bad.
Speaker 1: Like I hate, I hate like that are even our recap ends this way? You know, Like I hate that this is the end of the journey. It's not it's not fulfilling in that. But if I think right now about like if you could just do a boy Meets World roulette and just put up an episode. It would fill me with so much warmth and it would be I'm like, I'm looking forward to rewatching episodes of Boyb's World now because I've been through all seven seasons and I think it's great and the feeling of like memories that would come back just from watching now that we've gone through all the show, Like, I totally get it.
Speaker 2: I totally get why this becomes.
Speaker 1: A comfort show for people because it's like, yeah, you feel like you've been with these characters for so long. I like the thought of us that like in high school or us in sixth grade is just so it fills me with more than like positive memories. It's yeah, I love it. It's a good show.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: I agree with everything they said one hundred percent. I can't wait to go back and watch it again. I really And one of the things that I've been excited about is the fact that I get to watch it without rules.
Speaker 3: Like we've been very strict with each other.
Speaker 1: We do one at a time, we're not jumping ahead we were, and now I can go, Okay.
Speaker 7: I can watch two or three a night, you know, I can. I can't wait to go back and see us young again. I feel like the journey has been so long that going back and seeing season one again is going to be such a trip. So no, this is absolutely enhanced Boy Meets World for me in every possible way. And yeah, I'm overall I'm so happy with the show and the work we did.
Speaker 8: I really am.
Speaker 4: I loved what writer said about the Roulette wheel that you're right if you put a roulette wheel with episodes from all seven seasons, even if it landed on an episode where we were like, oh, this is a bad one, my feeling, my feeling would be all right, let's here we go.
Speaker 1: Even watching a bad episode sounds like fun, doesn't it, Like let's rewatch the Honeymooners.
Speaker 2: Let's do it be like sure knows this.
Speaker 9: You can find this on certain like ebays and certain websites where it's like a little mini television that's like preloaded every episode of the Simpsons and you turn it on and it just randomly goes to an episode I started watching.
Speaker 8: So there needs to be a Boy Meets World equivalent to that.
Speaker 3: It should be a VHS. You have to pop in, you have to rewind you.
Speaker 4: Should have to pay one hunds one season one season show even if you're on it.
Speaker 3: Man, I love it.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 9: We have a lot that we can say about season seven. Like we said, we've already kind of like warned you how we felt about it. But one of the takeaways that you know, I was listening to our last episode is we were.
Speaker 8: Talking about how dark season six was.
Speaker 9: You know, for all of the wackiness and the wildness that season seven was, it definitely wasn't as trauma filled as season six. There were some benefits I think to season seven, even if it has a reputation of not being very good.
Speaker 5: Were you talking about this very often when we were doing it.
Speaker 10: We were like there were just certain things that we were listening to this season, and we can tell you guys were kind of like doing what you can to just get through it. Me you know, having some personal health breaks in between, just because it got really rough in moments, but like things where it's like we started off with the Monkey as well, and we were like, what is this monkey episode?
Speaker 5: How far have we fallen?
Speaker 10: And then by like halfway through season seven, you're like, I got to miss.
Speaker 3: The Monkey yup.
Speaker 9: Like for even for how wacky episodes like the Truman Show episode was in season six, like at least it still was trying to teach Eric something. It was pushing him too something. A lot of the wackiness and here feels very misplaced. And so you know, as as this joint of that season six feels, it kind of feels like a more cohesive season in a lot of ways than this one.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We talked about the idea that season seven, even if there were some good moments or good storylines, very rare to find a solid episode where it was like, oh, both A and B storyline feel you know, grounded.
Speaker 6: In reality at all, or you know, true to character. It was always like I kind of like this part, but what the f is going on over here? Like how was this happening?
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 7: We also talked about the fact that it's a little jarring because the good episodes of season seven aren't necessarily great, where the bad episodes of season seven are really back.
Speaker 3: So it's you.
Speaker 1: Know, there are bad episodes of the other seasons too, but they were they.
Speaker 3: Weren't horribly bad.
Speaker 7: Where there were some season seven where we finished and it was like how how did we even make that episode?
Speaker 3: I mean, and thankfully they're way to.
Speaker 2: Get through the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean low and the highs are mid, yes, right, yes, yes, And it was so it was very strange, and I you know, I had this correlation. I don't know if I've ever spoken about this before, but I'm a big fan of the show.
Speaker 6: Mash what like, yes, so detail Marsh.
Speaker 3: Was a show from the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 7: So one of the things that Mash did that was really interesting that we did in the reverse was that it in the early years of Mash, when it was a wacky show, it would take like they did a storyline where this colonel comes in. They want to get him off the front lines because he's so crazy, so they take out his appendix and it's a big wacky like and then in season ten they do exactly the same storyline as a drama.
Speaker 1: Should Hawkeye take out the guy's appendix? No, the other doctors fight, Why don't you stab him? And it was literally the same storyline. And I get that with like Chick Like Me and what a Drag where it's like, wait a second, you've got chick like Me? Where you take something about real gender issues, and you do it in a way that is so important to this not only the show, but to the point where Ryder had kind of inexperience throughout the week and then you go, well, we're going to do kind of the same thing with Eric, but now it's going to be a ridiculous rump. And so they did the reverse of like what mass shows, where it's like you take the same storylines and they made them worse.
Speaker 3: So they did.
Speaker 1: There was a couple versions of that in this in this season that I thought were very glaring.
Speaker 3: So that was weird to me.
Speaker 9: Well, it just feels like that this season they stopped trying to teach the characters lessons in a lot of ways. And I don't know if the removal of the classroom had a part to play in that, but it's definitely a noticeable absence, Like Feenie, just the way the role that school played it, all the way that, like every Shakespeare play had something to do with what you were doing that week, there's no relation to that, which I think is you know, for a show that's based in college, feels very weird.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we actually had we appreciated you acknowledging the fact that all the season and six leads up to Peoenie getting married to the Dean and then we never see the Dean again anything. The moments like that were it's just like, well, in terms of like character continuation, it's just like Peoenie just becomes unmarried until like they mentioned her once, I believe later in the season because of the rumor mill, and you know, there are lots of things like that. Another thing with season seven that we thought would be interesting is maybe if you reorganized season seven it could work because some of the storylines are actually pretty interesting with the characters that we talked about the fact that we would have liked if Jack got cut off from his stepfather at the beginning of the.
Speaker 1: Season, and then maybe yeah, yeah, yeah, roulette idea.
Speaker 10: There's a form of season seven where it's like, if you rearrange the episodes, you kind of have something there.
Speaker 1: But well, I mean again, we literally didn't know that we were going to get this many episodes, so we assumed thirteen and done, and we were thinking that until like episode nine or ten.
Speaker 9: What's strange about that is that if you watch those first thirteen, it doesn't seem like a show that's leading somewhere.
Speaker 8: It doesn't seem like a show that knows it's ending.
Speaker 6: We asked someone, was it Jeff that we.
Speaker 1: Acted who didn't know unfortunately because he wasn't there for most of season seven?
Speaker 3: Was it Jeff?
Speaker 4: We asked someone and they said, no, we knew all along that it was going to be twenty two episodes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, which we didn't because I mean the perfect examples. Ryder and I were doing our documentary at the end, behind the scenes joke documentary, and we got called into Michael's office going, you guys have some more time.
Speaker 3: We actually just got our back nine. We're like, okay, great, So we thought we were doing thirteen.
Speaker 4: So I wonder if it was reshuffled once we knew we had the back nine, because truly.
Speaker 6: The middle of the season is win. It just tanks and yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it's because they were leading up to the wedding.
Speaker 1: I think the whole point of this season was let's treadwater until we have a wedding episode, and the wedding episode will be a big ratings hit, which will get us the back nine. So you if that happens, what episode eight is the wedding or whatever? Seven or eight and then they had no idea what to do because there was no plan beyond that, and we got the back nine.
Speaker 2: So then those next.
Speaker 1: Four are probably the worst four episodes in a row of Boy meets Honeymooners.
Speaker 6: Uh, honeymoon is over.
Speaker 2: To drag. It's like boom boom boom.
Speaker 5: It's so bad.
Speaker 2: It's so bad.
Speaker 7: Well, also to to what you were saying, I think Tony you said this is is that or it might have been us It was it was the idea that forever on Boy Meets World, the adults were treated a very specific way.
Speaker 3: They were The teachers were teachers.
Speaker 7: They were not to be made fun of, they were not to be marginalized.
Speaker 3: The parents were a certain way.
Speaker 1: And you get to season seven and like even think of the funny thing of like the professors coming in and what's your what's your class?
Speaker 7: And I think the teachers were no longer teachers. Feenie was a totally different kind of character. The parents relationship changed.
Speaker 1: So when they took the parents kind of out of the equation, the show to me lost itself. It just it really when we were left to our own devices as characters without that parental guidance and Feenie guidance. You see how important that was to the show, was a hugely important aspect of the show that when you removed it, it kind of fell apart.
Speaker 10: You know, the show starts off as a family show in the sense of like you know the Matthews and you know Corey's friends, and then by season seven it's more of a found family show, kind of in the loop of friends. But what's interesting about that is to your point, well, I think there something kind of got lost in the translation of Hey, this is about a family and their neighbor and the community that makes them better, and then it just become kind of it tries to be friends, but without actually giving each of the friends their own development.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, we definitely I think suffered because of the popularity of Friends and us wanting to try to fit in the writers or network wanting us to try.
Speaker 6: And be a that we're a younger version of that.
Speaker 4: Because I agree that the grounding, the entire gravitas of the show was that we were.
Speaker 6: Even if even without being kids.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful to see college kids, you know, have the guardrails off and to see that they can still lose their way and they need an adult to come in and say, I've been in your shoes.
Speaker 6: Here's how I can help you. We lost quite a bit of that.
Speaker 10: I don't want to say that we didn't want to point out that there were like Tony pointed out that you really made us appreciate things work, like we've always loved the comedy in this but like the way that you all like Praiseman and his comedic timing and the fact that he was just trying to make you guys laugh. I think, you know, as you said, a lot of people can watch this show and fall in love with the characters just because they can see how much fun you were having on set and the number of times that were you guys like we were just trying to make each other laugh.
Speaker 5: Like that comes through.
Speaker 10: And then Danielle's season seven, we talk about the fact that Tapega actually drives the story of season seven.
Speaker 5: It's her decisions throughout her season seven.
Speaker 10: It's her season really of course, like they're not going to let her take the driver's seat, but for the most part everything that it's to Penga's refusal of getting married in the beginning, it's her acceptance and getting married in the middle, it's her needing a place to live, it's her going for the job that actually changes everyone else's trajectory. This becomes to Panga's season, and on top of which we get to see you, Danielle do so much more comedy. It was really fun to watch you just kind of become one of the gang in the sense of like you and Chlory had your hygiens you you know, like can you even get paired up with Will More?
Speaker 5: And these things were or some of the positives of season seven.
Speaker 6: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 4: And it was actually one of the things I talked about when we wrapped up our overall feelings for the show. I said, I wish I really in the moment because season seven was so hard for me. Internally, I so had such senioritis. But when I watch it, I am I'm having so much fun. Like external Danielle on the show is the most comfortable, the most relaxed, the most funny I had ever been in any other season. And yet internally I was I would have jumped out of a fourth story window. If I wouldn't, I would have get to get out. So it's wild that when I watch it, I'm like this is some of my best working.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I mean, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: I did want to point out, c J that you said that they weren't ever going to let me take the driver's seat and that is just because women cannot drive.
Speaker 6: So I do want to just.
Speaker 3: It's not true.
Speaker 1: We've been working with you in parking lots during the day, two men around you.
Speaker 6: I know, the men have been so helpful and to teach me, and.
Speaker 3: She's doing great.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we joked that like Danielle kind of is the driver of this season, but like an uber black driver, Like no one's talking to her because we ended the season thinking like, oh, I mean everyone is going to New York because it's pegas, so really like, is this is this really Corey's journey or is this pangas to become world right?
Speaker 8: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So to that point, it's funny that you, like, you know, we've had this kind of conversation with you guys since season one, and one of the things that we've kind of adopted since watching you guys is the best women are men, Because it's really funny that that's just kind of like seen throughout and we also noticed that in season seven it has several female writers, and we will we will see topics and you can tell and I wanted to know, like we can tell as viewers, but could you tell as like producers.
Speaker 10: And writers that all right, this script came in kind of from a female centered point of view and then there was movement in the background, because it kind of.
Speaker 5: Feels that way when you watch it.
Speaker 10: I was like, the idea of this, yes, but how we got with the final results?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean in the Angela's storyline the most I mean we talked about it's like she is like she all these big life decisions are made, but she doesn't get to make them. It's literally Sean and her dad debating what she should do, and she needs to learn her lesson by deciding which one of them to listen to.
Speaker 2: That's like, what, that's not a choice?
Speaker 1: So it's yeah, it's like you give her agency conceptually and then you actually remove it through the course of the story.
Speaker 2: It's bonkers.
Speaker 9: It's so even just as we're talking about Angela. The I think the deeper issue with Angela that like upset me the most as a viewer was that it seemed like her story arc since she was introduced was I need to open myself up to love. I need to open myself up and trust someone again after being abandoned by my mom. And so it seems like she makes effort through her relationship with Sean.
Speaker 8: They heal each other in that way.
Speaker 9: So to have her disappear without kind of even inviting Sean to come along or presenting an opportunity for that love to continue feels like it's taking back all the work we've done on her character over the last few season.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, well.
Speaker 1: It also it amazed me during that episode how low the stakes were, meaning like I'm going to go to Europe for a year, Okay, in a month, I'll see to I'll come, I'll visit you, you visit me, I'll see.
Speaker 2: In a bit like a summer vacation.
Speaker 10: Like who's more likely to like we come? We struggled with angels lashes because we were very, very much of the mindset of Sean would absolutely go to Europe. Of course, who better to go and sit in a cafe and learn about the old world and have these conversations Like again, we understand that like Sean became kind of like a doppelganger writer, but it's just like that means that you can absolutely see Sean in Europe succeeding Sean becomes Ricky.
Speaker 3: He gets to go become Ricky exactly.
Speaker 1: It's so awful because in Sean's final moments of the second to last episode, he's like, well, I gotta stay here because I have a family, and makes a joke It's like, I have nothing to stay for it.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, so go with Angela. You have nothing to like what it's already.
Speaker 4: I'd like to just be a little bit of a devil's advocate here in the idea that.
Speaker 6: Any for any.
Speaker 4: Seven or twenty one year old, however old, we are twenty twenty one year old, when their significant other is going on a trip that they have been invited on by their father, it is extremely presumptuous to be like, I'll just go with you. No one invited him. And Angela's storyline in that was don't say goodbye.
Speaker 6: This isn't goodbye. She is acting more like.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to spend this quality time with my dad that you don't get to have. Even though it's said in a little bit of a you know, maybe insensitive way, but she she enough way she's been changed by Sean is recognizing that you're the people that mean the most to you can be taken from you at a moment's notice. And she was abandoned by her mother. Her father regularly is not in her life because of his travels, and she now gets to go and be with him. She's actually made the choice that she would like to focus on that relationship right now and put this relationship with Sean on what she knows or hopes to be a pause.
Speaker 7: I want to see that episode because that's not the episode I saw, because I want us. That's a great episode of Angela coming up with that idea of no, I've got to be with Sean, I've got to be with Sean, and then realizing no, I've spent no time with my dad. I want to take this year with my dad, and having that scene with Sean.
Speaker 1: That's the episode I want to see. That would have been an incredible episode.
Speaker 4: Also such a wonderful polar opposite to Corey and Topanga Yea for her to be like, I have the rest of my life to devote to se.
Speaker 6: I have the rest of my life. I don't know how much longer I'm going to have my father.
Speaker 5: Just kind of like echo what you were saying. I I think that that is the choice.
Speaker 10: And I loved when we were listening to your episode you said that the agent that she is showing agency again in the background, because she's.
Speaker 5: Never made the foreground background. She's story agency.
Speaker 3: Camera, although we would have to do it off camera.
Speaker 6: It is messy when women make choices, you don't want to watch it.
Speaker 10: But to that point, my counter with that with the series is then Danielle, I'm not Danielle to Panga.
Speaker 5: Decides that Sean's moving to New York. So I know this idea.
Speaker 10: Of like the grand gesture or not being invited and all.
Speaker 5: This other stuff. It's like Sean was.
Speaker 10: Just brought to New York like without any conversation as well.
Speaker 5: So to me, I think there is a world.
Speaker 10: Especially in a in a series that promotes love overall and your partner and the fact that like Sean is supposed to want what Corey has, there's a world where we get the if you want to be friends grand gesture of you know what sewn at the end of the series, like, hey, if you're moving to New York, I'm going to Europe.
Speaker 7: That's what you want, the goodwill, hunting ending you want, I'm going to see about a girl, that's what that's.
Speaker 3: What you want.
Speaker 5: Well, hunting ending would have been fantastic.
Speaker 9: And not to take away from Angela, but I think that Sean's you know, we were kind of thinking about Seawan's journey throughout the entire series, and to me, Sean's story is about trying to find a home, trying to find a place where he belongs. And multiple times he was like, hey, you can stay with the Matthews. No, I'd rather go with Turner. Hey, we'll adopt you. You can become part of the Matthews. He's like, I don't want to do that. I want to find a home. I want to try to make this relationship with my dad work. I'm going to try to move in with my brother to see if that works. He is trying to find something that's of his own, and yet at the end of the series, instead of doing something for himself, he could continues to be codependent upon with Corey and do whatever Corey does, and so it feels like, yeah, Angela does have the agency, but Sean has no agency in this decision. He's just going along with whatever his options are. That's and it's like the series was teaching him to do more than that and to become more than that.
Speaker 7: I think that, unfortunately, had was dictated a lot by the fact that Michael really wanted to do another show with the four of us in New York, right sure, And so because of that, the idea you can't have Sean leave and go to Europe, because again, that's the that's the ending everybody wants.
Speaker 3: You want Eric to look.
Speaker 7: At you want everybody Corey to pang it to go off to New York, and Eric and Sean to go Now, we've got to go find ourselves without this dynamic around us. That's what you wanted to have happened, or at least what I wanted to have happened. But the idea was then, well, now it's going to be friends in New York and you're gonna we're gonna bring in all new characters and you're gonna have the four of you and that so I think because of that, we were kind of pigeonholed into Well, now it's the four of us leaving to New York because again Eric makes no decision whatsoever. You find out off camera that a pay Carently he decided to go and we still don't know. Did they all drop out of college? Eric graduated, but what is everybody else doing? So it was just the idea of getting the four of us together somewhere.
Speaker 3: In the hopes of them doing a new show about it. It's unfortunately what we were stuck with at the end there.
Speaker 9: You know, you guys have mentioned a few times the kind of behind the scenes of the spin.
Speaker 8: Off, but also how the season felt.
Speaker 9: Like more of an opportunity for people to write and direct who didn't get a chance, versus focusing on telling the best story possible. And I think that brought a lot of insight to some of the holes that we saw throughout the season too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so too for sure.
Speaker 10: Do your point, Well, what I think is interesting is we talked heavily about and we've talked about this throughout the season. School is so important to my Michael Jacobs. It's so important that we go, that you graduate, that you you know, college is a must.
Speaker 8: You have a multi season arc of trying to get into college, like that's how important it was.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Yet we never see Eric cross that graduation stage, and to us that is a lost opportunity of season seven, like like I wanted to know, Like is I just I don't know, And maybe it is. It's like I don't see Eric going to New York and then continuing.
Speaker 5: School because we have him graduating.
Speaker 10: So it just feels like we've told everyone how important going to college was and then we don't even spend time actually watching Eric accomplish one of the things that the series itself said was never an option for him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I agree, there's I mean again, there's a lot of different things.
Speaker 1: How I've been thinking about it a lot lately. You know, had I gotten a chance to decide what happened in season seven, Eric and Jack would never have moved moved in together. Eric would still live at home, which would keep the entire family together. He's still next to Feeni, and he's getting all the the you know, those lessons, and you keep.
Speaker 3: That entire storyline alive.
Speaker 7: Then have Jack and Rachel maybe as a couple, move them in together. You have you have Sean and Angel as a couple, and you have Corey and Tapang as a couple. That dynamic I think would have worked really really well, because otherwise everything just kind of got thrown together. But yeah, really and again it was in the long run for a lot of careers, it was a good thing.
Speaker 1: Season seven gave people the opportunity to direct and gave people the opportunity to write, and people that maybe would not have had the opportunity.
Speaker 3: Steve Hayfer comes right to mind.
Speaker 7: You went off and had a huge directing career, And there's a lot of people that came in Lynn McCracken that were given a shot that they deserved years ago that now because we got especially the extra episodes, they were allowed to do that.
Speaker 3: So in that sense it was wonderful.
Speaker 7: In the continuity storyline sense, it didn't help the show very much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I do think that feeling impacted us on set more than we realize. I think that feeling of these characters we were told and taught to care so much about and to pay attention to every word on the page because they're not haphazardly, and our directors being so involved and connected to us and asking us about you know, truly thinking about motivation and why. And we spent six years being taught that that is what TV is all about, and that it's important and that it isn't frivolous, and that we are doing something of meaning. And then we got to season seven and they were like, well, we had a good run.
Speaker 6: Let's it's fine.
Speaker 4: We don't you know, it's okay, We'll throw these characters under the bus. And here these are characters that we are portraying. And I think that feeling of, well, we don't care anymore because now our focus is can we get another show after this. Let's just let's just get rid of that and get rid of this and not have this as much anymore, and let's focus on this. Even though I think that really affected me in the sense of like everyone's jumping ship.
Speaker 1: Like we yeah, and we got everything from the top down. We always got to think from the top down.
Speaker 7: So when you see the leaders on vacation, or at least that's what it seemed like, we got that same kind of checked out feeling.
Speaker 3: It just everything went down, by the way.
Speaker 7: I also would like to you just said something Danielle that I want to put into our lexicon, which is when something is deliciously unimportant, it is now frivilish.
Speaker 3: Wish I loved, loved that word. So we are taking that from now thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's interesting, like I because I think about personally, I was, I just hated my performance this entire season. And it's because like I was applying to colleges in New York. I was like, already I was going to college. So I was doing that in the mornings coming to work. I did not care. I probably absorbed not caring from the set and the irony is I think Ben was more focused and present than he had ever been because this is the only season he was not in high school. Not in school, says him, finally just being free to be an actor and commit, and they were really writing for him to be funny. And I think you can see his confidence, his his like his sense of like ownership of Corey, you know, taking and making us laugh all the time.
Speaker 2: Like he's so present.
Speaker 1: In a way that is really great and the rest of us just aren't it stupid.
Speaker 3: I think he let go a lot in season seven too.
Speaker 7: I think, you know again, I could not imagine we go back to that first season with Ben. I couldn't imagine being eleven years old, being Fred Savage's brother and being in every seat. Now this show, we're putting this show squarely on your shoulders. The pressure that kid must have felt must have been unbelievable, and so to now be in season seven, we're all adults again. Say what you want about the show, but we're clearly having fun as an ensemble cast making trying to make each other laugh. I think he just let go for a year and manned his performance show because of it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 9: We I gained an appreciation for Ben's performance based off of your podcast because when we were originally watching it, I kind of had it up to.
Speaker 8: Hear with Corey. Corey as a character I was.
Speaker 9: Pretty much done with in every way, and I think the thing that was frustrating for me was that the entire series seems to be teaching Corey how to be a better friend, a better son, a better brother, a better partner. But as we get to specifically the college years, it seems like he becomes a little bit more selfish. It seems like he becomes a little bit more arrogant, a little bit more insisting upon others in a way that makes this question like did the lessons from the seven years of this show actually shaped this character? Like did the boy from Boy Meets World become the man the series promised.
Speaker 3: Ooo ooh wow. Interesting question.
Speaker 1: Kind of dark because if that's the case, then it teaches a pretty horrible like he becomes insufferable in so many ways.
Speaker 4: Well, here's what I would say, And I think I think about this for my own life, the years of my childhood that I was really shaped by my parents, let's say, all the way up until the time I moved out of my parents' house and I'm.
Speaker 6: Then in college or whatever.
Speaker 4: On Boy Meets World, there is a mid ground where, even if you haven't become who those lessons will eventually make you, you are at least more self aware of your shortcomings or of who you are.
Speaker 6: Doesn't mean you're.
Speaker 4: Locked in there, but there is a self awareness, a little bit to Corey's selfishness, where at least he can joke about, well, come on, you know, I'm not listening to tapanga, you know, like that idea where it's like and that might be the middle ground for that time where you go, I do do that. I am kind of in that way. I am not the best friend that I think I am. I'm not all of those things. It doesn't mean I'm always going to be a bad friend or a bad partner. But I at least can recognize when I grew up that I'm doing it because I've been shown through the seven years of the show that that's what I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So to your point, after seven years, we haven't seen him grow to the person he's supposed to be.
Speaker 3: No, Well, I think what.
Speaker 7: Could be interesting with that too, is there's something. There's some and I certainly don't know if it was written this way. It would be amazing if this was in anybody's mind as they were creating the show, Michael Jacobs, whatever. But you see this generationally too, where Alan is clearly a self made man. He didn't know what he wanted to do in his life, so he went into the military. After the military, he probably started working at a grocery store, then worked his way up to where he was then managing the grocery store. When you find people that do that, sometimes what they do is they overcorrect with their own kids, so they never their kids never feel like they ever have to work a day in their life because their parents work so hard. So there is entitlements not the right word, but a laziness to Corey that you can sometimes get Eric frankly that you can sometimes get with people who are self made because they want to make sure their kids don't get through that. And you saw that a bit with Corey, like I need help, come fix my apartment, and Alan's like fix your apartment, Like, go fix your apartment.
Speaker 3: This is what I did.
Speaker 7: Now you go do that too, And I think so I would be amazed if that was something that was actually discussed by Michael at the beginning or thought about. But you can see that generationally of a slight entitlement with people whose parents work their off to get where they are to make sure their kids didn't have to.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 10: I love that you said that because I Tony and I had this conversation and looking at season seven specifically, I think you could do season six and season seven, but season seven we have a question.
Speaker 5: Are Amy and Allen good parents?
Speaker 10: Like if you if the result of good parenthood is your children? And we understand, we understand who Corey is. Eric is not a pre he hated, nor is he like seemed to have any like kind of mental growth, even though he is very emotionally intelligent, and even at the end.
Speaker 5: Morgan's a little brat.
Speaker 10: We never see you know, like people were in a smart alley, so.
Speaker 5: That you take all those things in. Are they good parents?
Speaker 10: We know they're great characters, especially in the beginning, but are they good parents.
Speaker 4: Also that baby is locked in a bedroom upstairs, or baby I don't even know if anyone's feeding it.
Speaker 8: The baby never made out the hospital. It's a ghost, exactly.
Speaker 6: They've given Amy a bit a fake baby, man.
Speaker 4: And it's such a shame to say that based on the way their kids turn out. In a lot of ways, I'm not sure their parenting has shows to be incredible, but the way they were as parents in those first five seasons, yeah, some of the best TV parenting of all time.
Speaker 3: I'm greed.
Speaker 5: So sure.
Speaker 9: It's kind of like you can do your best as a parent, but it's really up to the individual to become who they're going to become exactly.
Speaker 4: And I will say, if we could just talk about it individually by character, I do not think they have ever really been that great to Eric.
Speaker 9: No, No, they don't give a damn. They don't care about you going to New York. They're happy to be rid of you. In so many ways, it's so dismissive. And you know this kind of brings me back to another point about Eric. At the end of last season, we were like, hey, just so you know, Eric has just lost everything that's important to him. He is struggling to make friends, he lost Rachel to his best friend, he lost Tommy, and we think this is the season that breaks him, and that everything that happens in season seven is him kind of acting out, trying to disguise his hurt, which kind of is our canon way of explaining why he's so crazy.
Speaker 5: Threat.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that was the character.
Speaker 5: Before.
Speaker 1: I'm amazed you picked up on that because boy did No. Yeah, by that point, with the anxiety and everything, I was trying to survive. So I was just being as big as I could and have the comedy hit as loud as it good.
Speaker 3: And but yeah, no, it was the going back to the question of the parents.
Speaker 1: It's such a good question, is at the end of the day, were they good parents? Because we even had the same conversation of season six halfway through six, but most of seven, were they good spouses? Yea?
Speaker 2: Horrible to each other?
Speaker 7: They started all of a sudden not being Gregg you're a pig, and you know, saying talking about her weight and all. I mean, it got there was times that got bad, and again I blame the writing obviously, but they all of our characters are so much different than they were when they started.
Speaker 3: And again that's not a bad thing.
Speaker 7: You're supposed to be different, but you're hoping it's a growth different as opposed to just now we're writing them different, if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: So the series.
Speaker 9: Presumes you understand who these characters are with actually showing us displaying those behaviors throughout this season. It's like, you remember what Alan and Daimy are Like, we don't have to create romance or create you know, uh, meaningful parenting moments because you've already seen that versus keeping that going and growing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, we've established who they are. You already know them, Now watch them be something else.
Speaker 8: That's every character of this season to that point.
Speaker 10: That brings us to Jack because the conversation about Jack, that's the point we feel like Jack is like there's loss of a lot of loss potential with Jack because we were like, what, like, there are so many fan theories and I think it's because Matthew Lawrence does like a very great job as we all know how I feel about his brother, but like when he goes and you know, like he does like his little interactive bits with Will, even in the what is I think the Lottery Numbers.
Speaker 5: Episode, But like Matthew, Lawrence has.
Speaker 10: Comedic jobs, and so to see him like be thel of. We've talked about him as Eric's love interest. We've talked about him getting cut off from his stepfather in the beginning, we've talked I don't know if I shared this, but in the future episode somen the Hard Way, there is kind of a scene that implies that Jack and Corey don't get along, and I was like, I would have loved to see that, like Jack is actually the one person in the entire group who doesn't like Corey, and you can kind of just see that fox of this idea, like I don't get it, you know, like that's a very comedic bit.
Speaker 5: To have someone who's like constantly trying.
Speaker 10: And then there's someone who I don't get it sucks, he sucks.
Speaker 4: That would be so funny, so funny, especially that it's your brother, your brother and your best friend just totally at odds what.
Speaker 1: It seems like they just added Jack and Rachel, Rachel especially and then just kind of went okay, now what like that? You just go, what, well, you brought him on? You must have had a reason to bring him on.
Speaker 7: I mean, is Matt, especially with the right director, is a really really strong actor.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: I worked with him on comedy, I worked with him on more dramatic stuff, and there was never a swing and a miss with Matt, so I got and it's like he was just woefully underused or poorly used, but at least they tried to use him, Whereas when you actually go back and you watch Rachel, you kind of go, okay, why is she here?
Speaker 3: Sure, like why she's pretty?
Speaker 7: And I guess they wanted to throw somebody in between Matt and I for some reason. But that to me, and again people are gonna think I'm bashing Maitland, and I'm not at all. This is not Maitland's fault. That's an episode, yeah, maybe.
Speaker 1: A three episode, maybe a three episode arc exactly. But if you're going to keep her on the show, then then don't do her dirty and and do something with the character. And that was the one for me where I'm like, I don't, I don't and then you pull Eric away from that. So it's not even that dynamic anymore. So then it's like, well, what the hell was the point of doing this in the first place?
Speaker 9: I mean, and now we're checking in with two unrelated people about the ongoings of their relationship, even though it doesn't affect could.
Speaker 1: Break up into that camera. Yeah, and it's like, what was the point of any of this?
Speaker 8: What do you think that says about?
Speaker 9: You know, a show that's in its like fifth sixth season trying to add on to its ensemble, Like you've, like, now that you've seen the way that Angela and Jack and Rachel were handled, do you think that it would be hard for any character to kind of join this group that's already been so firmly established.
Speaker 4: Yes, unless the entire show becomes about how the group deals with this new dynamic.
Speaker 6: Unless that new character.
Speaker 4: Is going to create a new show and and actually give new life to a show where maybe the other characters have played out their storylines, you're not gonna You're not. If you can't get devote the time to giving great backstory to a character and developing who they are as people throughout the show, it's jumping the shark.
Speaker 6: It's truly just.
Speaker 7: Yeah, every sitcom does this when when they're in that kind of era. What you've got Raven Simone coming onto the Cosby Show, Brian Bonstall coming onto Family Ties, the Little Kid coming on to Brady Bunch seven, coming onto marriag with children.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is just what you do. This is television trope one to one.
Speaker 2: But I think Angela was the right addition.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think she was perfect, but she's perfect. But I think Matt was not a choice. Matt was because the network had an overall deal with him. We talked to Doug McCracken, so he was sort of forced upon our show. And I think they made a noble effort by trying to incorporate him with my character. They were like, let's give him Sean, a brother, a long lost brother.
Speaker 2: Let's make this. And it didn't work Matt, but.
Speaker 3: Jack and Eric did Jack, but that's what they found and.
Speaker 1: Then they are like, oh, and then they doubled down on that and they were like, let's get let's add another character, Rachelorge.
Speaker 2: And it's like whoa, Okay, hold on, now we have a fifteen member cast or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like too much. But it was like but they made the noble effort, and I think the problem is it's and I take responsibility. I think there's there was a lack of chemistry between me and Matt, and I think they unfortunately tried to add Matt adding drama to Sean's life, making him a dramatic entrant. And if you had come in as like a foil to Sean and we had play more of the like he's a rich kid and Seawan's a poor kid, they don't understand each other, which we did that one episode where we wrestle. Like if they had come in with that dynamic and said, let's make it funny that this guy is a long lost brother who doesn't understand Sewan and Sean doesn't understand.
Speaker 2: Him, that could have been great. But instead they brought him in.
Speaker 1: On a dramatic point, had me monologuing to Corey's camera about and him like I never had a dad either, and it's like Jesus, like it's like double DeShawn. Make make them, yeah, make them the quarterback of the football team. He was a popular kid and high school. He's now the quarterback at Penbrook, arrogant and funny.
Speaker 2: And clueless and Sean just hates him. Would have been so funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, could have played with that all day.
Speaker 1: And then you keep Eric in with the parents yep, Feeni and Feenie and and yeah, I mean again when you they were literally trading screen time and pencil mileage with Feeni and the parents with Jack and Rachel, and that's that's not a fair.
Speaker 3: It's not a fair.
Speaker 10: And to your point, I think, like, while you're talking about the different ways that they could have used Jack and even like the Rachel of it all, I think we get one, maybe one solid episodes where the girls all move in together and we're like okay. And again, me having never seen seven, said season seven when I watched it, being like, okay, cool, this will be, like you said, a good at least two three episode story arc where the girls are living.
Speaker 5: Together and they get their own dynamic.
Speaker 10: And they get to learn from each other, and we actually get to see Angela and to Penga be the friends that they talk about and Rachel be the person who will eventually be into Penga's wedding.
Speaker 5: But we never get that.
Speaker 10: I think it's like one episode where they're all there, the guys all goal her, and then the next episode they're moving out they.
Speaker 1: Really all should have started working a club Clevage, that's ye need more club.
Speaker 2: It could have been a whole.
Speaker 6: Season, right, the new Wilderness Store club.
Speaker 10: To that point, the idea of Eric working at the Wilderness Store or something like, I think I think that's one of the things that Tony Pitch was, like, this idea of like maybe Jack and or everyone works at the Wilderness Store because that gives them a central bond and things to do, and you can bring the family in as well, especially since they still have a set.
Speaker 4: Obviously, the Wilderness Store would have been so much better as the third place environment than that, God forsake.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 9: So much insight to us about the role that a set plays in the dynamics of a sick club. Like I really enjoyed your conversation about, you know, comparing the Student Union to the sets of the past, like the high school sets that were just perfect. They had these little little spots where two characters could talk but also can out and have a wide shot showing everyone like really great sets that you guys had previously, And so when you move to the Student Union, it's such a noticeable difference and the relationship that we have with these characters.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, we.
Speaker 5: Also learned from you.
Speaker 10: We learned from you guys again, like I think it was Corey andinga get their groove back.
Speaker 5: We also are like, how many swing sets are they?
Speaker 3: Like you just can't can't put them in? They can't putting them in.
Speaker 7: Also, after you just said having everybody work at the Wilder Store, how do you not do an episode after how Alan has treated Eric over the years where Jack comes in and starts running the store and Alan essentially adopts him as his kid.
Speaker 1: Like this is like the son I always wanted. Look look what you did, Look how much you sold? And there's ra They're like, are you kidding me? After all this year?
Speaker 7: I mean, stuff like that would have been a great episode to see, but they just it just wasn't.
Speaker 3: Never happened. Yeah, yeah, we.
Speaker 5: Got a food fight out of it.
Speaker 3: Something that's you know, it's always good anytime you can do that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, here's a question that I was kind of thinking about.
Speaker 8: You guys have had to basically.
Speaker 9: Embody these characters every day for like the last thirty years in some way or another, like either other people kind of putting that on you, Are you guys kind of you know, turning it into this podcast and kind of making something out of it. Clearly, these are characters that are deeply influenced by the writings of Michael Jacobs. But now after all of this, do they feel like your or do they still feel like something that you were just kind of like dipping your toes into.
Speaker 6: That's a really good question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally feel I own Sean, Like I'm so proud of especially the first five seasons. And I'm just like, yes, what a cool what an honor, you know, and and yeah, I even the things that like we were just talking about when we were recapping one of the episodes, Will are I forget where were And at one point I was talking about how horrible how I felt bad about the choices that they made for Sewan in season seven, and Will pointed out what they were actually borrowing from your life, like they were taking and He's like, in some ways it's a compliment, and I was like, you're right, it is a compliment, but it's bad storytelling, like it makes for an angsty not a great character. But even that is a tribute to like what what they were taking, they were taking from my life, and that I should I should just own it, you know, like, and doing this podcast has allowed me to own it.
Speaker 2: Like, I think Sean's a great television character. And I think that.
Speaker 1: Especially like when you think about not just the Shawn Cory dynamic, but the Sewan Turner dynamic, the Sean Angel, it's stuff like.
Speaker 2: It's great, Like it's a great character.
Speaker 1: I'm really proud and honored that I got to play them, you know, and be a part of his creation. And now you know, I'm just gonna start wearing a leather jacket every.
Speaker 3: Day, so you'll lose it in a half an hour. Yeah, you'll lose it in a half an hour on a train.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I agree. I think the thing that I'm most honored about because I you know, overall we sit here and we bashed season seven. But I mean, I was trying to last night. It was last night of the night before. I was trying to think of any list you could come up with for the best And I don't want to say kids, because that's not right. The best shows aimed towards young people in the history of television, and I cannot imagine Boy Meets World not being on the list of top ten in the history of TV and that's something that is for someone who television is as important as it is to me, that's such an unbelievable honor. And as an actor a the opportunity to do that is almost non existent.
Speaker 3: So that's huge.
Speaker 7: But to then watch the show and I can't point to the exact moment, but I can kind of point to the season. It's like season three when they stopped writing for me and they started writing for me, and that I think was the moment, is the moment I'm most proud of where it was like, oh, they're seeing me as an actor and now they're writing for me.
Speaker 3: There's a team of people writing.
Speaker 2: For Catching Up with your comedy chomps.
Speaker 3: And awesome and that feeling.
Speaker 7: So that coupled with the fact that I'm so proud of what we did, and again I do think we've made television history. Not to aggrandize it, but you know there has to be that list of Okay, what what shows are on that list?
Speaker 3: Pointed towards young people. We've got to be on that list.
Speaker 7: And that's a testament to Michael, certainly, a testament to Ben certainly. The cast they put together, the writers they put together, Catching lightning in a bottle, whatever you want to call it, but we had something very very special and Yeah.
Speaker 3: Seven sucks and it's a dud. It is what it is. There's a lot of reasons for it. But the show overall is I'm.
Speaker 1: Hugely proud of being Yeah, and I think we all own our characters. Now, I don't know, Danielle, do you feel the same.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean the fact that I, without any you know, any bit in it, truly would consider making my middle name Topanga. Are there moments that I think where Topanga acted out of character?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 4: Overall as a whole, do I think she's maybe the most consistently solid who she is of all the characters. Maybe I think of moments like when you know, during the episode where the boys borderline assault Rachel and.
Speaker 6: She goes but it's cute. That's no old or Tobanga would normally have done that.
Speaker 4: But who among us has also not had moments where we acted completely out of character because of something that's going on in our lives. And for Corey and Topanga at that time, it was wedding engagement, newlywed bliss who we can make whatever excuse we want for it, but Tapanga through and through is a person and a character I think everyone could learn from. I think she's incredibly loyal, truly to a detriment to herself. The only person who suffers to her to her detriment is Topanga. Because maybe the relationship she chooses out of love and loyalty isn't necessarily what she deserves.
Speaker 6: She could probably.
Speaker 4: From Corey maybe even just to expect more from him, and if he doesn't raise the bar to then say you're not meeting my standards for a partner.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go bang Ricky to Pega and Lauren should have probably run off.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 3: I still watch that show. No, but I think you could also.
Speaker 7: You know, it's interesting because maybe not until this very moment, Danielle, where you just said that about Tapanga staying the most true to herself other than the massive change after season one exactly which again I don't know if I've talked to you guys about this before.
Speaker 3: But I'm a big fan of show called Nash. So yes, right, details, so.
Speaker 7: Exactly correct, correct, love He's the best. They essentially rebooted their show for season two. They did season one, nobody really watched it. They started to watch it during the summer, so they said, let's kind of start over, and they almost redid the pilot for season two. You could kind of argue, we did the same.
Speaker 1: Thing, so season the episode yet, right, but season two episode one as a restart, could be our complete redo pilot of the show. And if that's the case, Topanga hasn't changed all that much.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Other than that first season where she was hippie Topanga, there was the Minka show, there was a whole different thing starting with the second pilot of Boy Mets World Toga.
Speaker 7: Yeah, very consistent, you know, character who had a ton of growth and went from there.
Speaker 9: I have a theory that each of the characters has like a question that they're trying to answer, And I think that Eric's is where do I belong? Sean Shaan does where is home? And the Tapanga is you know, how do I stay my true self? And I think that despite all of the changes that happened throughout the show, those things are fairly consistent.
Speaker 8: Throughout the series.
Speaker 3: What's Corey's how.
Speaker 9: Do I better love the people around me? I think is ultimately his his lesson that he's trying to and even if it's not successful because.
Speaker 1: He's he's working out every relationship. How do I be a better student? How do I be a better son? How do I be a better friend? How do I be a better husband?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although brother, he didn't seem to care too much about Eric.
Speaker 6: Is that his questionners his question? How do I get what I want?
Speaker 5: That's probably that's the accurate.
Speaker 3: Get what I need out exactly. It's like the whole world revolves around me.
Speaker 6: You make the world revolve around me.
Speaker 10: The boy though, one thing that it is one of the episodes that I think is amazing and we do want to give it credit for season seven is the Honeymoon's Over episode. To me, even though there are lots of holes and we can have all these arguments, and you guys called out a who lot of things we did.
Speaker 5: Like why wouldn't they take the baby?
Speaker 10: And you know, like things that happened later in the next episode. The idea and it stuck with me for years, this idea that after Corey and Topanga got married and they're like and we're just going to write off into the sunset and reality stem strong and they're like and to your point, were like Topenga didn't have a plan for after getting married, and they just didn't discuss it, Like, these are things that to your point, Danielle, sometimes you do let things slip through the crack.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you do feel like love will conquer all.
Speaker 10: And I love that that episode actually does a really good job of Alan Amy being good parents and being like, actually, no, you wanted to make this decision. We actually told you that you were too young. We said that this would be hard, and this is the reality that you live in now. And I think that there are moments in Boy Meets World that just stick with you, and that was definitely one of them.
Speaker 9: We were talking like, why was the wedding mid season? Obviously you guys have answered that by telling us about the back order and everything, but we were like, you know, why is this mid season? Why isn't this the finale? But what's so great about it being mid season is we get to see as an audience what happens after Happily ever After, which you know, for a generation grown up with Disney movie these, the credits usually start there. So I think that that is something that season seven kind of stumbled upon. It was actually a really interesting conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely very valid point.
Speaker 10: Any of you ever seen the show BoJack Horseman, Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay. The reason why I want to say that is in BoJack Horseman, there's a character who's talking about Robert Reid I believe is his name, which is the father and the Brady Bunch, and he talks about how Robert red never respected the Brady Bunch because he thought television was below him and it wasn't real acting. And in it, the character then says, some people don't even get to do the Brady Bunch version of what they love. And I think that watching you all revisit Pod meets with Pod meats World, revisit Boy meets World, I love to see the journey of you embrace and kind of go through like this therapy and like we in season one, you were very much like oh, as you said, I was like, oh, I guess people.
Speaker 5: Like this, so it's a really fun adventure. But to go from will you being.
Speaker 10: Like I hate seeing myself to being like, hey, maybe I'll get back in front of the camera a writer for you to appreciate your acting and know, hey, maybe I wasn't given in my all. But there are moments where like I actually bring it and Danielle to see you like actually like use this series as so much up with therapy and be like, oh there were things that I hid behind.
Speaker 5: A wall and now I'm unpacking that.
Speaker 10: All of it has been really rewarding as viewers and listeners because we're able to see you learn to appreciate the Brady Bunch version of something that a lot of people write off.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, so true. It's also how you how blessed are we to for say what you want about it?
Speaker 7: To have seven years of your life on CA yep, I mean we can go back and watch I mean to be like, oh, yeah, remember how heard it was to be twelve?
Speaker 1: Well, let me go turn that on. I mean, that's the most people don't get the opportunity to do that.
Speaker 9: So that that's an interesting relationship your children will have with you being able to revisit that because you know, since the last time we talked, I actually had a little baby girl of my own, not intentionally, but she is named Maya. That that that that's great, But I think about how like, oh, you know, I only have so many vhss of me growing up, so many pictures of me as kids, but to think that your children can go through their adolescence with your adolescence as a guide along the way.
Speaker 8: It's so interesting and cool of an experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to experience that, but I understand your grandchild my grandchild though.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, one last question I have for you guys, and then we have just a quick little wrap up game that we want to do.
Speaker 8: Is you know, now that you've.
Speaker 9: Watch the entire series, do you feel like and I hate to, you know, get too much into the Girl Meets World of it all, But does Girl Meets World feel like a natural continuation for these characters are in your head canon?
Speaker 8: Is this the end of the show? Is this the end of the series for these characters?
Speaker 4: I did think about Girl Meets World when you said do we see Corey with where he is in his you know, final boss form? Technically, Girl Meets World would then be the opportunity to show does is Corey the man we were promised at the beginning of season one Boy Meets World? And so I would really have to now go back through and watch Girl Meets World to see who is who?
Speaker 1: We keep saying, Danielle, we keep saying Danielle saying Daniel.
Speaker 4: Because I now now I would want to look at it through that lens because I had. I certainly didn't think about that when I didn't think about it from the Corey pov. I definitely thought about it from the Tapega pov. And I was like, this does feel Even though Tapega spent a lot of time fluffing pillows and making dinner for a lawyer, I did feel that she was maternal, that she was empathetic, that she could see when she basically took on all the great characteristics that Eric had, like a real people person, like I can read between the lines, I can see what you're thinking or feeling.
Speaker 6: And I loved that for her.
Speaker 4: I felt like, this is the type of woman Tapega would have morphed into.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 4: I think it would be forever too hard for me to not think of Girl Meets World.
Speaker 6: I can't like.
Speaker 4: Girl Meets World was such an influential part of my life because I was there every episode and I got to direct, and I was a producer on it, and so it of course it was such a part of my life. I can't I can't separate it. So for me, I would have loved for Will to have been a writer. I would have loved that. And I'm really glad that writer got to direct as many of them as he did. And I wish he could have been in, you know, an in house director and done whole seasons.
Speaker 1: But for what it was, you know, I wish I wish we could make Girl Meets World now. Yeah, I wish the three of us could finish this podcast. Yeah, walk onto a stage and be executive producers of a new show called Girl Meets World and get to and get to continue the story based on because I mean, like what I showed up on the set of Girl Meets World. I remember Michael and Ben telling me like, remember, we're gonna do this joke, which is a callback to and I had no idea what they were talking about because I did not remember any of Boy Meets World.
Speaker 2: And I was just like, what do I have to do?
Speaker 1: What do I have to wear so I can get in the DGA, get to do you know, get to do what I wanted to do, which was work with the kids and direct, which was super fun. But I was not invested creatively in the Boy Meets World universe. And I'm so invested now and I would so you know, so I would love I think this, this this is the end for me, Like I wish Boy Meets World just ended here, the universe ended here, but I would want to continue it now because I'm so, I really do think that there's a potential for a sequel show or that would really honor the magic of Boy Meets World.
Speaker 2: And the main thing for me is that it's not a continuation of season.
Speaker 1: Seven, because I feel my instinct and I haven't watched it, but my feeling is.
Speaker 2: That Girl Meets World felt more like.
Speaker 1: Season seven continuation in terms of tone, in terms of the way it talks about the characters, the self reflection, and like just the actual like the style of the show was a continuation of the style of season maybe six and seven, And I would rather go back to like season one, season two, Boy Meets World and keep that tone going.
Speaker 9: Ye.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you can pull us scrubs and just erase the last two seasons of like this was created. But yeah, so when they came back, they were like, that was a fever three. We have no idea what happened there. You can totally do that. And if you were going to do this, I pitched you lean in go full vote, have Jack and Eric adopt a black daughter and that.
Speaker 7: The h Yeah no, the girl, Girl Meets World doesn't count for me at all. Sorry, it doesn't count for me at all. I will say that, Uh, fluffing pillows and making dinner. My mom did that every night and she was a lawyer. So uh but uh yeah. The how you have Corey as a teacher, I get why they did it, but none of that makes any sense. How you don't have uncle Eric helping as the nanny raising the kids with how you set him up with children beforehand makes no sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 7: And again you're it is gonna feel more season seven rider because you're going from ABC to Disney Channel, which is a big, a big difference.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, the.
Speaker 9: But perhaps in the age of streaming, those restrictions might not be as strong.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true.
Speaker 2: Plus which would not be it. But at the time of Disney Channel, Yeah yeah, because they made the kids show as opposed to a family show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And I just remember the couple of weeks I was there, and again I have not seen any growmytrold.
Speaker 1: I think I saw the episode I was on that was about it, but it seemed they they fell into the one of the television tropes which I hate, which is, you know, the woman says something like Tapanga's like, are you questioning what I said? Corey, And he's like, oh, no, of course not. I love you so much, and it's like, oh, for the love of God, and so I just I hate that that couple dynamic.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 7: I think it's such the beautiful woman and the guy who's just lucky to have her is just one of the worst sitcom tropes ever, and so I feel like they really leaned into that. And so yeah, to me, Groming World does not exist, and I agree with you righter one hundred percent. I would love to go and do that right now because the cast I've said this from the beginning. The cast when they started were way better than when we started. Oh yeah, way better. So much more talented than we were when they were their age. So the sky was the limit, as you've seen with with all of them and everything they're doing now.
Speaker 1: I mean in their careers, they were way more talented than we were, so to start at a different place would have been I think pretty magical.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it kind.
Speaker 10: Of wrapped this up, you know, We've talked a lot about the show Boy News World season seven, but in talking about your season seven, we saw you guys lean into your creative endeavors. You started a book, you had a podcast, either of which we were invited to, but it's completely.
Speaker 8: Time documentary documentary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but.
Speaker 10: To kind of lean into this idea of like you kind of like expanding your universe kind of like I think I wrote down Kiss or the Brady Bunch or I think, well you said it's called niche. But considering all of these things, we really wanted to do kind of like a quiz of what you thought the characters, which of these universes you think the characters would be bested. So with doing this, we're calling it Boy meets Pod And the question becomes which Boy Meets World character would most likely win Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 6: Oh, I love this.
Speaker 2: Phoeni Phoenix the hot Stuff dance.
Speaker 3: I feel like Topanga would have worked your butt off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but we've seen Jack, We've seen.
Speaker 3: Interesting could be.
Speaker 4: I mean he's got the you know, the Dylan f Ron white boy vibes that America loves.
Speaker 3: Shirt comes off as he.
Speaker 4: Also like is a dancer, but hasn't been a professional dancer his whole life, so he would still have a journey. He would come out and be pretty good and people be like, Wow, he's good, but by the end he'd be phenomenal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm gonna go with Jack.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, how about WrestleMania. Which character would be most likely to succeed at WrestleMania?
Speaker 4: Eric, He's got a big personality. He would not be at all afraid of jumping off the top rope. He would think he's freakishly strong even if he isn't, and then would be amazed when he actually is freakishly strong.
Speaker 6: He could keep as.
Speaker 4: Far as being able to like do promo to the camera. Who you know who who could go bigger?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Eric?
Speaker 1: Eric?
Speaker 9: Funny that Frankie the Enforcer, who actually is I thought about that figure. We'll keep it with the with the core course.
Speaker 4: Also, Frankie the Enforcer has such a poetic heart. He's not he's not a wrestler. His daddy was a wrestler.
Speaker 10: You know, he's eligible for the rest of these categories. Which is which character would most likely win? The traders?
Speaker 6: Oh, Cory, he's the best liar.
Speaker 1: Of so manipulative or Angela who can He kind of plays her cards close to her vest.
Speaker 7: She has kind of friends with everybody. She can kind of go from from friend group to friend group. Angela could be interesting me.
Speaker 4: I think I think always got a scheme and we just don't know it.
Speaker 6: We call it something different.
Speaker 1: Strings and people when you realize it and everyone feel like he's my friend.
Speaker 2: And he would actually be a trader.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually put a knife in your back that night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then in his garden because Corey would be awful. Corey would be such a just mess.
Speaker 8: Line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 10: Which character would thrivee or create the most chaos on Love Island?
Speaker 3: Rachel as.
Speaker 2: Essentially she belongs on Boy These Worlds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's Rachel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 10: And then which character do you most likely to succeed on American item?
Speaker 8: I think maybe Jack there too.
Speaker 1: Jack, or or the age which they did or this second Morgan Amy loves to sing.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 6: It depends on what age we're thinking. Because American I for that young you have to be. Having done the American Idol podcast, I've seen.
Speaker 4: What goes into some of the decisions about are you at a maturity level of being able to handle being the American Idol. The answer for Amy is, of course it would change her family's life.
Speaker 1: And it could be Jack again because he's got the look. The boy band thing going already.
Speaker 4: One dancing with the Stars. You can't win all the reality TV is my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And then the final question we have for that is out of all of these, all this and I'll sayd you hasn't done and all the things which like very much under the lane of And then there was san Or and then we'll have it not we'll have the.
Speaker 5: Truman show of it all?
Speaker 10: Which one of these universes would you love to do an episode centered around?
Speaker 3: Wait, so, which one of the reality.
Speaker 9: Like a Casa blanca like you did when She's the seven themed episode? Do you you think which one of these do you think would be the most fun for the boy Meets World characters to be put in?
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, I know it would be ridiculous, but all the characters on Love Island would be pretty freaking funny.
Speaker 2: It would be really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, because it would be so ridiculous of just like you know, having a couple of oh they were recoupling tonight and to bang it.
Speaker 3: They're like oh, Eric, I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't like, I don't know, like, oh my god, there could be some if you if you did a Trader's boy meets World episode, it could be like and then there were shows exactly and it would be sound like an unhinged Traders boy meets World would be so fun.
Speaker 5: Get it.
Speaker 2: We should do it.
Speaker 3: We'll get everybody, We'll do it in character.
Speaker 6: Picture will with one of those floods on.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I wear one all the time.
Speaker 6: Anyway, I know exactly.
Speaker 2: You could trade season of that.
Speaker 1: A whole season of Traders with the Boy meets World characters would be so fun.
Speaker 6: So funny. We're going to start writing, please please do. Can we ask you a final questions? Okay? One, have we ruined the show for you?
Speaker 8: Absolutely?
Speaker 10: Uh yeah, season I'm going to be honest, But you guys could never do it as.
Speaker 9: Much harm so no, yeah, I mean like we've kind of mentioned that. But there were so many questions that we initially had as fans consuming the show from a distance about like why does this season feel clunky? Or why does this character not have a place, And you guys have been able to kind of fill in all of those gaps for us. So just as a person who would rewatch every season of Boy Mets World between in my summer breaks of school, I have like such a long history with the show. I've loved it my whole life, and I finally get those insights that like I don't, I don't know that we we'll ever get like a mashed version of this, and you know what I mean, like to get those questions answered that you have as someone who knows the show inside and out. Like I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of my questions that I tend to ask you guys.
Speaker 8: Are about like, hey, what do you think the character is going through?
Speaker 9: Because that I don't really know the behind those scenes stuff as a kid watching it, I'm just thinking, like, this character's behavior doesn't make sense and I wonder why, and they almost become like real people to me, and then you guys are able to just add a whole nother layer of understanding to it. So I think that you guys have been incredibly successful and I'm sad to see this part of the podcast and that I know you guys will do incredible things going forward.
Speaker 6: Thank you, kids.
Speaker 1: I have one for you both now that you've gotten to know us a little bit over the years.
Speaker 6: Who do you like the best?
Speaker 3: Yea, which one of us? Which which one of us is most like our character on the show?
Speaker 10: Ooh interesting, that's actually you know, honestly, I and this is.
Speaker 5: Just straight up.
Speaker 10: I think you all have elements, and I understand now that I've now that we've gotten to know you, and we've also you know, been listening to the podcast, I can see where they got from elements from other characters. Well, I was gonna ask you, do you make up those merch jingles at the end of every episode like on the Spot?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I usually don't think most of the time.
Speaker 1: I like, I remember like watching it because when Danielle starts to do her outro, I can see his brain going, oh, yeah, I gotta come.
Speaker 8: And it's like a very eric thing to do.
Speaker 10: That's absolutely And then Danielle, the way that you host and you like kind of bring everyone together, and you again like very it's very very Topanga. And then writer, it's been very interesting to see you kind of like push back on Sean and then they'll be like whether you do that, You're like, ah, yeah, I would say to me, I understand how these characters came to develop, and it is very interesting to just kind of see where you end and the characters begin. And I feel that a lot of the audience feels like we've got to grow up with the characters more, but now we understand the people behind them.
Speaker 9: And I would also say that I definitely only see a closer relationship with you three and the characters you are at the end of the show, but likes well the same as Eric season one.
Speaker 8: Absolutely not girls girls skirls, girls girls stil.
Speaker 9: I don't think any of you guys are who they wanted those characters to be, but maybe through your influence ultimately shaped to the characters became, which I think you know.
Speaker 5: The show is better for it.
Speaker 10: Thank you, And I do want to say really quickly, and this is like just a personal thing you had asked. I want to call out Writer for being someone who I could talk to. I've like changed my career and I ended up like getting involved in the arts and getting my museum degree and like all this other stuff because of conversations I was able to have with Writer and just like knowing the appreciation that he had for art. And then as we said, Tony didn't actually name his child after Mina, but like he's had a kid since and we've been able to kind of look back. So you were all three of you were influential in our lives and you really helped like help us decide where we want to go and what our next chapter looked like. And it really was impactful and something that we wanted to highlight and appreciate because yes, the show has always meant something to us.
Speaker 5: This show podnysfrolled me something to us.
Speaker 10: But as individuals, you've each opened up our eyes to the potential of art and just you validated our feelings about critiquing television and looking into scripts differently. And I think that is a service that you don't know that you're giving to a bunch of your listeners the ability to pursue their artistic goals.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: That really that really means a lot. That's very that's very special. That is an aspect of the podcast we never think about.
Speaker 6: We We just we're always so worried that like were.
Speaker 4: We too honest, you know, we're so concerned with whether or not we ruined the show. We never really think about, like what could people have gained from the show, and that is a very special and personal one. So thank you for sharing that with us, thank you for joining us, thank you for as always, for your thoughtful questions and your honesty, and for being along with us through this, through this journey, and we will look forward to whatever the future holds for us, including you in that as well.
Speaker 5: So much.
Speaker 8: We really appreciate it. Bye bye, bye bye.
Speaker 4: I'm glad we know we didn't ruin the show for them. That was so nice what c J said about like, that's so cool. I didn't know he had talked to you.
Speaker 1: Like we have a email correspondence, gone, yeah, oh that's sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he really.
Speaker 1: You know, was trying to figure out what he wants to do with his career and his studies and yeah, and we just we're going back and forth about it.
Speaker 2: And he's such a smart guy. And they're both so brilliant, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing. It's like that you know they Yeah, he was giving us a lot of credit. But I think it's also like they ran an amazing podcast, Yes they did, and they have such good critical thinking skills about how to come approach Boy Meets World.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just like I mean, that's why we have them on our.
Speaker 1: Show, like because it's O for seven seasons, because it's like they really have an insight and so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they also haven't.
Speaker 7: They haven't been really wrong yet, meaning it's like, oh, this season coming up, you're gonna like or this season coming up.
Speaker 3: So far I haven't been like, well they well they didn't. They didn't get that one right. Well, so far they've been pretty spot on their opinions.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so far, we're done.
Speaker 3: We're not they've done yet, Danielle.
Speaker 1: We keep telling you we're We're continuing to podcast. You keep trying to get away from us.
Speaker 7: It's done, guys, this is your future, Danielle.
Speaker 3: Look at it.
Speaker 6: Going to become a mute.
Speaker 4: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show.
Speaker 6: At gmail dot com. And we have merch.
Speaker 3: You guys aren't going to get this, but.
Speaker 1: If you lack pin your coladas and getting.
Speaker 3: Caught in the merch, there you go.
Speaker 4: Podmeetsworldshow dot com writer.
Speaker 6: Send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all. Pod dismissed.
Speaker 1: Podmeets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Taras Ubasch producer, Maddi Moore engineer and Boy Meets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com