Speaker 1: Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions. Oh boy, howdy, welcome back to It could happen here? A podcast about it happening here, and the it is different most episodes, but today the thing that is happening here is discussion about the growth of self immolation as a form of protest from the twentieth to the twenty first century. Obviously, we are recording this less than a week after Aaron Bushnell, a twenty five year old serviceman in the United States Air Force, let himself on fire in front of the Israeli Intimacy in Washington, d C. And you know, repeatedly stated free Palestine as he was doing it. He said more than that, obviously, he wrote, you know, I think very clearly about why he did what he was doing. This is something that you'll have heard a lot of debate about. There's a certain kind of person, particularly in the media, who feels obligated to say this is mental illness and we shouldn't discuss it as anything else. I think that's wrong for the same reasons, by the way that it's wrong to dismiss, you know, any sort of mass shooter or whatever as mentally ill not that either of those are similar in terms of the actions they're not, but that attempt to dismiss it because it's something it makes you uncomfortable to consider that somebody could do something so incomprehensible to you for a logical reason. Now, when I say a logical reason, that doesn't mean I'm arguing this is something more people should do. It doesn't mean that I'm arguing that this was the best thing that Bushnell could do. What I am saying is that, from everything that is available, this was a rational act. He understood what he hoped to accomplish with this, and he took concerted steps to ensure that he succeeded and that attention was drawn to it. His reason for doing it was clear. He took actions like to set up a will and whatnot. This seems to have been a rational and principled action, and we are I'm not really primarily going to be discussing what Bushnell did because I don't really know that there's much to say. You know, it's it's everyone here's stants that what's being done to Gaza is a genocide. I don't know that this will help. I certainly hope that somehow it does, but we're simply not at a point where we can say what the impact of this on the overall you know, situation in Gaza is going to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean I guess, like the thing we can say off the bat is like whether or not this matters is to a larger scent up to you because like, yeah, someone someone like I mean, this is the thing, right, Like.
Speaker 2: The matters in the sense that it has an impact on the Obviously, I think it matters because he was a person.
Speaker 3: Well that too, right, Yeah, but like yeah, in the in the in the in the sense of whether it accomplishes political objectives, Yes, that's up to us figuring out how we're going to run a political movement in such a way that the sennis I get stopped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is yeah, that's not something I have a clear answer for you on right now that I mean to think there. I think so. I think the thing we're going to try to do that I think can be helpful in this is a tempt to provide some context on what is the history of self immolation as a protest tactic, How does it tend to work in the past, and and and in the present, and in what sort of situations has it been more or less effective as a as an instrument of protest. That's what we're going to try to cover today. Obviously, this should not be seen as a totally comprehensive look at the entire history of goodcast as I'm about to come. This is this is what we can get for you in about a week, and I think I think it will help and provide a broader sense of context as to how this sort of thing has worked in other situations around the world and throughout time self and goes back very far as a protest tactic. There were Christians who were being persecuted by the Roman government in Nicodemia in three hundred AD who lit a fire in front of the emperor's palace and threw themselves into a bonfire as an active protest in Russia. I think in like the sixteen hundreds Orthodox I don't know there was an Orthodox sect. I don't really know much about them, but they they locked themselves in churches as a protest for some of the Czar's reforms and then lit those churches on fire, so like died inside the churches that they were in. So this is a kind of thing that goes back quite a while. I'm sure there are other cases in you know, ancient history that go well before that, but it's not a new thing. However, when we talk about kind of twentieth and twenty first century self immolation, the first sort of really famous case of this, and the one that gets brought up every single time people talk about self immolation as a protest tactic, was one that occurred during the Vietnam War, and it was the self immolation of a Buddhist monk named tish Quang Duk. I believe that's Thhich. I think that's how that's pronounced. I let's do it before we started recording this, But that kind of stuff slips out of my head, so I apologize if that is the case. He's an interesting guy. I think pretty pretty his early life is probably pretty common for people who become Buddhists, who became Buddhist monks and kind of Central Vietnam in this period of time. He left home when he was like seven, He became a novice at fifteen. By twenty he was a full monk. And one of the things that's happening during this period of time is the South Vietnamese government is this guy he's called a president. The president. He is a dictator. I think everything but name No Din Dim and he's a terrible guy. He's a French educated Catholic. And if you know anything about the French history and into China right like that, that does not suggest somebody whose role before Vietnam got its independence from France was particularly great. His brother No din knew what is the head of the secret police. And they are despite the fact that Vietnam, South Vietnam is a Buddhist majority country, they're passing a lot of policies that are like actively cracking down on and reducing the right of Buddhist people to worship right. And you know this is there's a lot of reasons for this, but they kind of boiled down to the fact that dim was horrible was just a fucking dog shit. Yeah, really really trash. Now I've heard it said online when people bring up this self immolation, you know, within kind of the context of what's happened recently, like this wasn't a you know, people are wrong when they say this was an active protest to the Vietnam War. It wasn't. And that is technically true because like the thing that that duke was was protesting was not US involvement in Vietnam. But he was protesting the US backed government of South Vietnam, and that government is very livant to why there was a Vietnam War. So I do kind of think it's it's not entirely accurate to be like, well, this wasn't a Vietnam War protest, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was just about the fact that like the Catholic, theocratic drug dealing fashions government, it was like murdering.
Speaker 2: It seems like you're splitting the hair there, bro. I feel like the murdering Buddhist thing might have been part of why there was so many people willing to fight the South Vietnamese government. Not a zero percent part of that equation maybe, But yeah, so these guys, these Buddhists, i mean Buddhist religious leaders in the country get increasingly angry about what's happening. There are debates i think for several years kind of within sort of the more highly ranking kind of leaders in the faith as to like what do we do about this crackdown on our rights and like should we They were talking for quite some time about having a self immolation protest, right like it was the kind of thing where there was a decent amount of like discussion earlier. And Duck is actually the one who I think suggested it initially to like other leaders in the church. And yeah, while there was like for a while they tried to push back against this, eventually the level of prosecution just became so clear that you know, they basically said, Okay, let's like you can do this. And Dook is going to be the guy who is going to like physically, you know, destroy his body in order to carry out this act of protest, As is always going to be the case when we talk about these famous self immolation cases, half of the story is the guy who does the or the individual who lights himself on fire, and half of the story is the reporter who happens to be there, and in this case it was a guy named Malcolm Brown. He is, I believe he's an American reporter. He's stationed in you know, Saygone, and he's he's, you know, doing what a lot of journalists were doing at the time. And in the springtime of nineteen sixty three, there start being like these kind of messages put out by the Buddhist Church that are sort of he describes it as hinting as some kind of spectacular protest. His guess was that it would quote most likely be a disembowlment of one of the monks or an immolation, and either way, it was something we had to pay attention to. And like a lot of journalists, he's got some sources within the church. He gets a call one day and they're like, you should show up at this pagoda at this specific time. And here is how Malcolm describes what he saw. By the time I got to the pagoda where all this was being organized, it was already under way. The monks and nuns were chanting a type of chance that's very common at funerals and so forth. At a signal from the leader They all started out into the street and headed toward the central part of Saigon on foot. When we reached there, the monks quickly formed a circle around a precise intersection of two main streets in Saigon. A car drove up, two young monks got out of it. An older monk, leaning a bit on one of the younger ones also got out. He headed right for the center of the intersection. The two young monks brought up a plastic jerry can, which proved to be gasoline. As soon as he seated himself, they poured the liquid all over him. He got out a man book lighted it and dropped it in his lap and was immediately engulfed in flames. And yeah, that's you know what happened that day. Malcolm takes a picture of He takes a bunch of pictures. You can see all of them. There's a Good Time article Malcolm Brown, the Story behind the Burning Monk, that has all of the pictures that he took, or at least like a long list of them. And they are worth seeing. They are I shouldn't have to put a trigger warning in here, right, these are photos of burning.
Speaker 3: To death like that shit sucks can say from me. Yeah, yeah, good god, it doesn't look good. It looks really bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, obviously one of specifically one of the photos you've probably seen it where like half of the monk's face looks okay and the other half is just like wreathed in fire. This goes like the sixties equivalent of viral right. President Kennedy said of the photograph, no news picture in history has generated so much emotion around the world.
Speaker 5: Is that one?
Speaker 2: And at the time it may have been true, and it is. It is number one. It does have a role in the anti war movement because you know, this is related to a protest against the government we were backing. But this is also one of the more successful, maybe the most like directly successful cases of self immolation I've seen, because this does play a significant role in the end of Deem's presidency and his life. Right, So Duck leaves a note, like a lot of these people do. In his note, again is very clear minded. He ends it by saying, before closing my eyes and moving towards the vision of the Buddha, I respectfully plead to President no Dndem to take a mind of compassion towards the people of the nation and admit implement religious equality to maintain the strength of the homeland eternally. Yeah, when this kind of happens, as I quoted earlier, Kennedy is like shocked and furious. He yells to his National security advisor, who the fuck are these people? Like how did we not know this was going to happen? He's very angry about all this.
Speaker 3: Buddhist is like, I feel like, like, that's the kind I.
Speaker 2: Actually have trouble imagining, like JFK having a significant amount of context as to like what buddhismss.
Speaker 4: God.
Speaker 6: But maybe maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: So I want to quote from this a really good medium article, the suicide that changed American policy in Vietnam by a Poorva Tadepali, And this is for a series they write called near Pot, which is an interactive classroom tool for students. And I found this a very readable and concise description of kind of what happened after Dook's self immolation quote. The publicity of the incident increased pressure on DM's government to deal with the crisis, but he did not take the incident seriously enough. His response to the death was an announcement on the radio later that day that wildly missed the point. The state of affairs was moving forward so smoothly, he said, bizarrely, when this morning acting under extremist in truth concealing propaganda, that's so doubt about the goodwill of the government. A number of people got intoxicated and caused an undeserved death that made me very sorry.
Speaker 4: Okay, I a lot of terrible statements about.
Speaker 2: It is this guy. We need to do the Bastards episode on him, because damn is like he's horrible. He causes a lot of damage to a lot of people, but he's such a fucking scrub, right yeah, like fucking Stalin would never you know, like the old Geese, very sad You think Saddam Hussein would have gotten caught up in that ship? No, not, my man.
Speaker 3: Listen, this is like this is bush ling shit, even by like fucking like East Asian dictators, Like can you sheck?
Speaker 2: Like noah, no, kay sheck wouldn't have gotten caught up in this ship.
Speaker 4: Absolutely sheck.
Speaker 3: If someone had tried to do this specifically, chink chanky sheck would have shot the guy himself.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yeah, Oh my god. So anyway this scrub he makes, he makes like a prom that they're going to do reforms and stuff. And like while he's doing this, his family, including his brother Knew, who's like the head of the Saigon Secret Police, is basically is saying like like literally says, if the Buddhists want to have another barbecue, I'll be glad to supply the gasoline. Is Christ and his wife, who's like a very merry antoinette figure, Madam Knew who is it's his brother's wife, but she's basically the first lady right of South Vietnam. She's like, let them burn, We'll clap our hands.
Speaker 4: Oh god.
Speaker 2: So it's pretty it's pretty cool. Like DM is actually kind of the smart one in the family because he's trying to like tell his sister in law and his brother in law like nah, bra Or, and his brother and his sister in law, like, you guys don't understand. We have to be a little bit careful here. This could really go badly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It really seems like like they haven't figured out the playbook for dealing with this yet. No, because like the successive governments, like everyone has like the same line that they say when it happens, and these people, it looks like they're really kind of scrambling here.
Speaker 2: They didn't have any They'd never been considered that something like this could happen, there would be reactions to their policies like this. There are a bunch of protests by monks and nuns of the police arrest a bunch of people. This continues to draw outrage and make the system a situation worse new the secret police guy has his his goons like ransack and destroy a bunch of Buddhist temples. Basically a lot of people, like fourteen hundred people are like rounded up and arrested. DM accuses the monks of being part of the Viet Cong, which is again like sure, such a.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that is important to understand here is that this is at a very different part stage of the Vietnam War. The US has troops in the country, but not a lot, like very few compared to how many are going to be there, and at this stage DM actually isn't happy that we have even though it's going to become very clear that like the US troops the only thing allowing this regime to stay propped up. He is like, I don't want them here. They don't even have passports, right, Like, he's he's like weirdly anti the like, And part of it is because the US is about to act here finally to take support away from his regime. So three days after his buddy, his brother in law or his brother Knu has a bunch of raids on these Buddhist temples, there's a cable sent from DC to the US ambassador in Southern Vietnam that's like, we're not backing this guy anymore. And this ends with a bunch of South Vietnamese generals who had already been planning a coup being given the go ahead from the US basically saying like, we're not Our guys are not going to take any actions to stop you from overthrowing this guy. And on November two, DM and his brother are kidnapped while trying to escape and they are killed not long after. So this is, you know, pretty successful self the militia. You have to say, right, yeah, yeah, works, seems like it works about as well as you could have hoped for that, right, like the at least I'm sure as as well as that monk hoped. Because you know, DM is not just out of power, but is fucking killed as a result of this.
Speaker 4: So ohough, the problem is the subsequent people he has put in charge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also suck. But that's that's also part of a pattern, unfortunately, And there's like a weirdly there's like a history of self immolation leading to gme change. We're gonna talk about Tunisia at the end of the episode, and that does tend to be the story of like, yeah, we got rid of the dictator and then a guy who sucked that's as much came into power.
Speaker 4: Hey, well, the the Tai one one we're going to talk about in a second.
Speaker 2: Actually, yes, pretty well, yeah, yeah, And before we go into that, because we're gonna let you take over from hearing me, or at least for the next couple of parts of this. But first let's let our advertisers take over and we're back, all right, Mia, you are on deck.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I think I think people are kind of broadly aware, kind of if you know anything about self immolations, about the self emilations in Vietnam, and then also the sort of the ones in the US, like as as anti Vietnam War protests, the ones that I don't think most people here know and that I only know about, like because like my mom was born in Taiwan, right, is the Taiwanese self immalations. Yeah, so this guy's name is Jan Yong Rong. He is he's also noticed the thing most people call him is Nylon Jung for reasons that I guess will become clear when he lights himself on fire. So Nylon Jung is a very very influential Uh well, okay, I don't know very very influential is Quator, but he's like a he's a pretty famous and very influential pro independence activist in Taiwan during the KMT's occupation there, And this is something I don't like. Americans tend to not understand this very well. So okay, So the the KMT is the Chinese nationalist party. They take power in Taiwan after just invading it effectively. They when when they when they lose the civil war, the KMT is like cremating forces, and a bunch of their supporters like flee to Taiwan. And there are there are like three groups of people who the KMT like spend most of their time killing, and that is communist feminists and Taiwanese independence activists. They also hate Presbyterians for reasons that are.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, we all hate Presbyterians, am I right?
Speaker 4: Okay to it.
Speaker 3: Look, look, I am not normally a presbyterianker. The Taiwanese Presbyterians like legitimately do good work in the sense that they are like one of the groups that's like pretty important in bringing down the KMT one party dictatorship. But okay, so Taiwan has this like really appalling like one party dictatorship. Nylon jungk is actually born I think I'm remembering, is right. He's born like during the February twenty eighth incident, which is this thing in nineteen forty seven actually where we are two days I think when this goes out will be two days after the seventy seventh anniversary of it, where there's there's a giant uprising in Taiwan because the like people in Taiwan fucking hate the KMT because they suck and they murder people, and there's this giant uprising and the KMT eventually like their military forces get reorganized and they so the initial uprising takes most of the islands, and then the KMG just come back and kill everyone. They kill about twenty thousand people in a week. It's one of the sort of like I don't know, one of the kind of like defining incidents and what becomes sort of Taiwanese national culture. It's just this like massacre and then you know, it's basically it's legal to talk about afterwards. This is this is the beginning of the sort of white terror in China, and they're gonna you know, and this is the start of the KMT kidnapping and torturing like tens of thousands of people. One of the things that happens in this this is actually so this is this was my family's experience of it, is that Okay, so there's there's this up there's the uprising, right, but one of the things that starts happening pretty quickly is these like retaliatory killings against like against Chinese nationals. And that was stuff my family was like, yeah, we like couldn't go outside because if you leave your house, like you're gonna get killed by mobs and that stuff. That stuff like sucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that does sound like it sucked.
Speaker 3: No, it's not good because it's the thing because it's it's weird because it's like that uprising like broadly good, but it turns into like parts of it turned into race riots or like why it's weird, Like I don't know, it turns into these like anti Chinese national like riots and that stuff.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So Jong is from a Chinese like like just from like a sort of like Chinese national family that like fled to Taiwan after the war, and his family is protected by other Taiwanese like like uprising people who are like no, like we're not gonna fucking just kill these random Chinese, see, but like what are you guys talking about? And that's this really formative thing for him, where when this one that caused him to grow up to become like the kind of Chinese like Taiwanese independence activist that he is. Where he's one of these people who is really big on Taiwan as like like like liberating Taiwan as a nation but having it be like a nation of ideals not a nation of blood because his you know, because he sees how badly this kind of like ultnationalist bloodline like shit can go. And so he becomes like a pretty prominent independence activist. He runs one of the anti party newspapers. Like anti canteen newspapers, and he's he's mostly doing a lot of this stuff in the eighties, where so basically like you have two consecutive like like the Shankai check and then you have like more guys from that family. By the eighties, you're like democratization is kind of like slowly moving forward because the Taiwanese ruling class losing American backing, They're losing backing overseas. But you know, even even by sort of nineteen eighty nine, which is in the period in which people are talking about like wild democratization's happening, like it's going to go forward, the country still has like they haven't had like real national elections, and they still have these really really intense what are called anti sedition laws and so one of the things that the prone dependence activists. And this is the period in which like Taiwan's like modern ruling party, the Democratic Progressive Party like comes into existence or like they're coming to existence as the anti KMT party. And this is the sort of milieu kind of in which Dylon Jung is sort of mobilizing, right, but he's also I don't know, he's like he's the kind of guy that doesn't exist anymore, which is like he's kind of like a like like liberal progressive national liberation supporter. So I actually I found a really interesting thing translated by jenhan Chan on this guy a kind of am aware of from Twitter, who translated this thing that he wrote about Palestine, where he is a pro Palestine guy. But it's interesting because he sees Palestine as like another nation that's been like subjugated in like a similar way to Taiwan has. And you know, and he's like an anti armed struggle guy, but he's also very sort of he's very committed to Taiwanese independence as a national liberation movement and specifically like the thing that you're liberating it from is the KMT, and so you know, he he gets into trouble constantly with like the KMT government. They arrest in a bunch of times, and eventually, in nineteen eighty nine, he gets charged with these by these anti suisition laws. He gets charged with insurrection for like spreading drafts of a potential to do Taiwanese constitution, and so he barricades himself in his office, refuses to show up to code. He gives this giant speech about how like you'll never take me alive, and the police kind of take him to so he's he's barricaded himself in like his newspaper offices, and he's there for like two months, and at the end of month two, a cop who is the current mayor of New Taipei City tries to burst down his door.
Speaker 2: That doesn't seem like a job that you should be able to have.
Speaker 3: No, No, this is one of these things where it's like, okay, So like the KMT, this is one of the things about sort of Tony's politics that's weird that the KMT is the modern sort of pro China promunification faction, Right, those guys suck like like they're they're not they're not the same sort of like just desk squad party they were in the sort of late in like the twentieth century. But they're also like yeah, no, it's literally they're mayor. They're mayor of New Pipei, which is okay, I'm not going to go into what the difference between Uchipei and ip Pey is here. That's that's the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing. It's like the difference between you know, New York and Old York. Right, it's it's it's closer to the diference between New York City and New York. Okay, okay, but that makes sense. Yeah that works.
Speaker 3: Like this guy, this guy who again like was elected like two years ago, tries to kick down his door and Nylon Jung likes himself on fire. And this has a enormous impact on the sort of subsequent course of Tiwan his politics, because this is a this is a like, this is a pr disaster for the like for the ruling for like for the current government, which had been trying to sort of like do its like ah, we're doing moderate reforms, blah blah blah, we're doing you have local elections.
Speaker 4: Now we're doing democratization.
Speaker 3: And suddenly, like their cops break down this guy's door and he lights himself on fire. And you know that the cop later says like, oh, yeah, we break down the door because we were trying to save his life.
Speaker 4: It's like, no, you didn't. What the fuck are you talking about? Life?
Speaker 2: I love things that have never happened. That's my favorite kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, so there this is one of these things that and this is actually think that that's become that's a very very common thing I protests. Like now, so Nilon Jung has he has this massive funeral I mean, this is an absolutely enormous funeral march, and the police attack it. And when the police attack it, another pro independence activist also lights himself on fire, like in front of the cops when they refuse to do it. And this that second guy is like a lot less remembered than Nlon Jung. But this becomes a massive sort of rallying cry around, like you know, for the pro dependence people, but also for the sort of broader fight for like an actual like actual free democratic elections. Like the big thing these people were protesting like specifically was free speech because the thing about the sedition laws is if you you know again, if you start passing around copies of the constitution, they try to arrest you and throw you in prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean nothing says sedition like the constitution of the country you're in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like changing it, I guess is sedition. It's like the KMT really sucked, like cannot emphasize that it off. But the sort of the results of this is that, you know, okay, like so this is one of these actions. That's kind of complicated because the the arc of Taiwanese politics was bending towards democratization in some kind of like actual electoral system, and it probably would have happened even without this, but this super charges the whole process. Within about two years, two or three years, all the position laws are appealed and within well, it takes a while before you get I think, I think it's like two thousand.
Speaker 4: I think it's like really when you can what you can.
Speaker 3: Call like the first really free like Taiwanese national election, when when there's actually like a transition of power between the KMT and the Democratic Party.
Speaker 4: Sure, but yeah, it was to a large extent very successful.
Speaker 5: Like it.
Speaker 3: No, okay, so it accomplished the goal of knocking off the KMT sort of one party state. It knocked off his edition laws. The kind of Taiwanese independence like that's very very sort of national liberation driven is kind of not the same one that exists in time one now it's a bit different. But on the other hand, like, yeah, they they did it. It was it was really it was pretty effective, and yeah, I don't know, like this is this is I of the ones that I've seen. I think this was the most clear he won. Nolan Jung's like is sort of to this day a pro dependence hero. There's there's a there's a statue of him. Uh so they they I think that I think I'm pretty surely they turned the office we let himself on fire like into a into a like into a museum, and there's there's a there's a very famous sort of like pictures of these the.
Speaker 4: Statue of his burned corpse. That's just horrowing.
Speaker 3: It's one of the symbols of the sort of Taiwanese democratic movements, and it's also it's also a sort of.
Speaker 4: It matters a lot. This is also happening in the same year as Tanneman.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, so there's that kind of like it's in the air, right yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and his his widow goes on to be a DPP politician and it's one of it's one of the things that it's it's like his memories invoked dream like. So in twenty fourteen, Taiwan had their own version of occupy that's like shittier called the Sunflower Movement. I'm sorry, this is this is where we're getting into the Mia has a bunch of political beefs with people in Taiwan where I think they're all libs, but it's yeah, like they have their own sort of they have like this this large series of street protests and this like he's one of the figures that's you know, one of like brought up in as.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gonna be the same thing with the guy in t an Asia. We're about to talk about two where where they become even to people that they would not you know, certainly we're not like expressing similar their views, they still become this like icon that gets sided. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I I think I think the last thing too is he's the fact that the cop who kicked at it, who kicked his door down, is now the fucking mayor of New type A City is just like oh appalling stuff. Yeah, the KMG absolutely suck uh. And those are the people who want Taiwan to be reunified with China. So if that understands who you're making your bed with, if that's the kind of politics that you you want to be engaged in, Yeah, So that's that's that's that's that's the time I want self emlations. I guess kind of I don't know, not enough bad things happened to the cops who trigger this kind of stuff, which although I guess I guess the cops is Southiaknam didn't do great.
Speaker 2: No no, no, I mean ultimately right, it doesn't immediately really cause them any problem. One Secret Police a bit. Speaking of Secret Police, this podcast is sponsored entirely by the Secret Police, so you know, check that out and we're back. Yeah, we just got beaten by phone books because they don't leave any bruises by our sponsors at the Secret Police. So you know, the Secret Police like the police. But Secret Mia, did you have another one you wanted to get into before we talk about Tunisia?
Speaker 4: Do we want to do Tibet first? Or do we want to do Tuenisia first?
Speaker 2: Why don't we do Tibet?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think other than Tunisia, I think the most famous wave of self im relations was the ones in Tibet that started in about two thousand and nine. There is actually a guy into Better Life self on Fire in the late nineties, but that doesn't have the same kind of sort of doesn't have the same effect as the two thousand and nine ones. So one of the things that's been periodically happening. I guess over the sort of course of the history of sort of occupied Tibet is the Dalai Lama. So the Dalai Lama like flees. There's this whole giant drama nineteen fifty nine. So so okay, I guess, I guess I should go back to the beginning. So Tibet is just like straight up invaded by China. When when the after the Communists win the civil war, this causes an enormous amount of shit to happen. One of the things that the Communist Party is trying to do is they are trying to gain control of the Tibetan religious system so that they can eliminate the religious system like they can they can eliminate like the Buddhist clergy is effectively, like they can eliminate Buddist munks. They can eliminate like the religious institutions as a source of resistance to them. They're kind of foiled in this when the Dalai Lama makes this break and escapes to India. And this is one of the things that triggers eventually in the in the sixties China's war with India. But one of the things that I've been happening for a while was these kind of negotiations between the Dalai Lama and the Chinese government to try to like find a kind of resolution to like how bad things were into Bet. And in two thousand and nine, Dalai Lama goes, yeah, none of this is fucking working, like it's not nothing, Like we're not we're not getting anything. The Chinese government is not offering us any like any actual deal that we can live with. And pretty quickly this so, okay, you get this giant wave of self in relations. The first guy, this guy named Tape, he is a monk. He lights himself on fire in two thousand and nine. There's conflicting reports.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: So one of the problems with talking about this is that in this period, the internet is not as widespread as it is today, and there is a there is a giant like there was a Chinese like media cordon effectively on on Tibet in a very similar way to like West Papua, where they like they won't let journalists in. It is very hard to get information out. So the thing that I'm about to say is something that is reported a lot on the time by people who try who are trying to smoke the messages out. And the thing they report is that as this guy is self imlating, the Chinese police shoot him like multiple times.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, as we've as we've seen recently, that is how cops tend to look at somebody like, yeah, someone has let themselves on fire. Clearly what this situation needs is a gun.
Speaker 3: And and you know, okay, so like the Chinese police they there, I don't I don't have any evidence of them shooting people after that. They absolutely one of the things that so what happens after this is this wave of self immolations is protests across the bed. The thing that they absolutely do a lot is start beating the person who's on fire the stick, like using like riot sticks sometimes.
Speaker 4: They have these.
Speaker 3: They have riot sticks with like spikes on them, and they are absolutely beating people to death while they are burning to death. The Chinese police are like as psychology, maybe not quite as like absolutely murderous as the American police, but they are like they are beating a burning man to death.
Speaker 4: Right that is.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I will say that is that is definitely I haven't that certainly, I can't think of anything I've ever seen US police do that is more violent than beat a man to death while he's on fire. Yeah, that's up there. That makes the cut.
Speaker 4: It's really bad.
Speaker 3: And this is the kind of thing that you know, I mean, this is this is the kind of thing that that sets off these self in relations in the first place, which is that to Bet has you know, like has has a colonial occupation, right it has. You know, the Chinese government has been attempting to suppress to Bet and Buddhism. There's been a massive way like systemic, massive ecological struction of the Tibetan plateau so that the Chinese government can like mine gold and shit. And in a way that's very similar to sort of like the ecological demonstation you get in places like the Amazon. There are you know, there they are intense police crack downs all the time. There's another very famous incident that's like kind of one of the things that leads to this, where in nineteen eighty nine there's there's a bunch of protests in Tibet and the cops just start shooting them. They kill a bunch of people, and so you know, and people had been like up in twent two thousand and nine people that kind of had this promise that things were going to get better because you know, you have these negotiations between the Chinese government and the Dalai Lama, and then the Dalai Lama turns around and goes, yeah, no, they're not giving us anything.
Speaker 4: Like they're giving us nothing. The Chinese states policy on Tibet is that effectively, we're going to like we're we're going, we're going we're going.
Speaker 7: To like.
Speaker 3: We're going to try to make these people Han effectively. One of the things they spend and they do this in change On too, is they spend a lot of there's a lot of resources invested in getting like settlers from other parts of China to booths bet you know, and you know, as as it's you also and change on like the like the cadre jobs are basically all like government cadre jobs are basically all Han people. And so you know, you start getting you start getting attempts a civil disobedience. There are these giant protests in two thousand and eight, like attempting to make as sort of like a giant have a giant thing happened right before the Olympics in order to get international support and those turn into riots, and those are brutally suppressed. And once that happens, people are really kind of they're running out of options for civil disobedience because you know, and this is one of one of these things about this kind of Buddhism is that it's it's very much a like they're the resistance tradition is nonviolence, right, like these people sometimes like very very rarely you get riots, but they're not like they're not going to try or arm struggle, and so what they have is non violence civil disobedience. But the problem is that if you try to do non violence will do obedience in China, what happens to you is just the cops show up and arrest you all, and then they rest your families. And this is something that happens to the people who self emilate, is that there are like one hundred and sixty of them from two thousand and nine until now. And when someone lights themself on fire, what the Chinese government does is well, a they beat the person to death while they're on fire. By they start arresting the people's family, they start arresting their friends, they start arresting people in the monasteries that they're at they start doing these purges to like stop like to remove the sort of Buddhist monks they think are going to be problems. And this fuels this kind of cyclical wave of this because on the one hand, you know, there's this incredible repression going on. On the other hand, it's not possible to like wage really like wage other kinds of mass so dis obedience campaigns. And the thing about lighting yourself on fire is that the government can't stop it, right, Like in theory, you could maybe trained police to stop people from blighting people on fire. But the thing is, the actual thing that happens when you light when someone lights themself on fire, is the cop goes and beats them. And so it becomes this sort of it becomes the sort of like the cycle of self in relations. And also, I mean the other thing that's worth mentioning too is people. There are a few other cases of Tibetan Buddhists, like outside of outside of the better you do it, there's a few people in India and you let themselves on fire, and I don't know, I think the Tibetan example is really bleak because it doesn't work, like they lose and this is one of these situations where I don't know, like I legitimately don't know how they could have won, because they were dealing with a enormous, a very very powerful state apparatus that was very invested in using all of its state capacity to trust.
Speaker 4: Them, and.
Speaker 3: It it fails and it it but like the thing that it mostly accomplishes is a bunch of is like just a generation of well, I mean some like the youngest kid who self inlights is fifteen, right, and it mostly accomplishes a bunch of these kids like themselves on fire and die and everything is worse now than it was in two thousand and nine. Yep, I think, you know. So they're very recently they're been big. They've been protesting to bed again because the CCP is trying to build a damn that's going to flood and destroy a bunch of monasteries. And I don't think anyone's let themselves on fire over it, but the police just arrested everyone, and so.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's really bleak, And I think the freeze Bat movement has become much weaker as the sort of like twenty tens went on to the point where now, I think like most America, like most of the sort of like broad American far left basically just takes the Chinese line on it, which is that like the Dalai Lama was a slave owner and the Chinese occupation was a gift.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Like I.
Speaker 3: Want to take like two, like a couple like a minute to talk about this because like that a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's this thing where, like, you know, it's really interesting looking at a lot of these people who are who are anti Tibet but pro Palestine, because you know, if you look at the originators et cetera colonial studies, like people like Patrick Wolfe, right, who was like the godfather of cetera colonialism studies, Tibet is one of the states that he holds up like as the paradigmatic example of of what cetera colonialism is. It's Palestine and Tibet, right, And you know, I like the thing about oh it was because they were trying to like free the Tibetan search really pisses me off because if that was the actual thing the CCP wanted to do, they could have done a thing that happened all over the fucking world in communist countries, which is they could have moved in, they could have knocked off the government, and they could have set up a communist Tibetan state.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: This happens all over the fucking Eastern Bloc. There's precedents for it in East Asia, which you know, there's a president of Mongolia, which was also i mean a very different Buddhist society, but also in largely Buddhist society, where the Soviet Union went in, knocked off the government and set off set up an independent Mongolian state.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: And I'm not going to say things like went great form Mongolia, but the thing is, if if your actual objective is just knock off a theocratic government that you don't like, you could have done that, and they don't, they don't do it, it's pretty China.
Speaker 2: It's also worth like stating like, yeah, things maybe not like didn't work out great in the immediate term for Mongolia, but Mongolia is a state right now, is not like the worst. It's not doing as badly as like Tibet is doing, you know, like it's it's an independent country that functions more or less. Yeah, and who does better than functioning more or less?
Speaker 3: Really yeah, Like and this I don't know, and this is this is the sort of that's and that's one of the things that like Chinese nationalists tend not to really use that line. I mean, they use it a bit when when they're when they're personally like when they have to like specifically make arguments about the Dalai Lama, that's something they do. But most of the arguments that the that the actual like supporters of the Chinese government in China, the arguments they make is like, oh, well, these people are like, these people are shitty barbarians and we have to like we have to civilize them, and like our invasion was a gift to them because we're going to civilize these people. And like it's it's literally it's like identical to the ship that like the Israeli say about Palestinians. We should also very briefly mention that a lot of the surveillance technology that's used in Tibet, like our cameras, that the Chinese government sells to Palestine. So keep that shit in mind. Yeah, And I don't know, but it's it's this This is one of the really bleak examples because the thing about self immolation as of politics is that like it functions by mobile someone else, right, And in some cases that's that's you know, that's another government, in some cases that's your own government, in some cases that's the people around you. But if you're in a state where the government does not give a shit about you and they have the ability to ruthlessly repress anyone who's inspired by your actions, it just it leads to a lot of people dying. And I don't know what this sort of lesson from that is other than it's really hard for and this is this is the thing with Hong Kong too, is it's it's really hard for any one, any one part of China to try to go into revolt against the government because there's so much more of the rest of China, and if if you, if you, if you alone, are pitted against the entire mighty of Chinese state that has brought popular backing your fucked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really bleak.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't have anything positive to say there. Hey, everybody, Robert here. Our discussion ran very long, So this is going to be a two parter. You'll be hearing about Tunisia and more in the next episode, but for now, please continue listening. To our podcasts and not other podcasts, because how would you do that? Who would do that? Nobody?
Speaker 5: I like.
Speaker 2: Everyone. Robert Evans here back to introduce it could happen here Part two of my discussion with me along of the history of self immolation protests. We'll be starting with Tunisia in this one and then moving on from there, so please buckle up and listen in. But I will of us on to talking about Tunisia, which is the last place we will talk about self immolation protest.
Speaker 4: Oh, I want to end. I guess a bit. I want to end after you talk about Tunisia with one in China. That kind of worked.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well that'll be nice. So there was a you know, Tunisia existed for most of the like twenty first century under a dictator. This state of affairs changed for unfortunately a fairly limited period of time. On December seventeenth, twenty ten, when a young man and he was twenty six, Mohammed was Zizi, went out to sell fruit. And you know, Mohammed lived in a very poor region, a very poor part of Tunisia, the city of cd Boozid. It's about one hundred miles south of Tunis, which is the capital, and like a lot of people you know, in that part of the world, it is not uncommon, particularly for young men, because unemployment is so high, for young men to kind of make their living doing a mix of odd jobs and like odd vending, right where you're just kind of like selling whatever you can get your hands on and think that you can make a profit on because there's not jobs in the traditional sense, and because political corruption was so horrific in the state at that point in time. It's one of those things where most everybody who's out there selling shit on the street is breaking the law by doing it, right, because you can't get the permit because the permit is basically a bribe and you can't afford the bribe, right, That's how a lot of this stuff works. So you know, Mohammed kind of prior to this, he had been his friends. When you read interviews people who knew him, he was always like one of these guys who was like really upbeat and funny. His nickname basically meant like funny man in town. And this had started to change, like friends noticed like a couple of years before, you know, twenty ten, when he's in hits his mid twenties and starts getting into his late twenties that he's like, it is impossible to get by as a young man. There are no jobs for us, there's no future. I don't feel at all like I have no nothing to be hopeful for. Right. I think a lot of people can understand empathized with where he was coming from. So he goes out to self fruit and this municipal inspector fight a Humdi sees him, realizes he doesn't have a permit and takes his shit right, and there are accounts that he hits him too. Basically he's like, what the fuck is wrong with you? You're not paying your god damn bribe and like smacks him around. So this is kind of the breaking point foruzz Easy. He goes to the police station because he's got like this scale that he's using to weigh out fruit and stuff that he wants to get back it had been confiscated. He like can't work without it, and they tell him like, fuck you, you're not getting shit back. So he says, like, I want to meet with the governor and like plead my case to the guy in charge, and they're like fuck you. The governor doesn't want to see you, so at about eleven thirty am, he takes his cart outside of the governor's office. He pours I think lighter fluid something flammable over his head and he lights himself on fire. His cousin gets a call. Ali was easy gets a call I guess from someone who was nearby and knew them both and was like, Mohammad just lit himself on fire in front of the governor's office, and Ali runs there, sprints over to the governor's office with his smartphone and he gets there in time to record his cousin's body being taken into an ambulance. Protests start up after this, almost immediately, people take to the street. I think it's just everyone is living under the same regime. They're living over all of these like fucking corrupt ass officials. Everyone pieces together this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's also it's worth mentioning this is also a period of massive increases food prices, Yes, which are one of the big Like if you want, if you want your protest to work, like spark plus rising food prices, great way to get it to happen.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you know the spark catches fire protests start up, and they do not calm down. Part of why they don't calm down is Ali was easy, stays out in the street. He uploads footage of his cousin's body to Facebook, and he takes footage of the protests too, and he just starts sending shit to Al Jazeera. Right, So this this, all of this footage he's taking like winds up on television that evening, and by the next day other cities in Tunisia are holding protests. And this is the kind of thing where it's like, you know, we all saw this, you know, obviously with a different cause in twenty twenty. Sometimes something happens that's so horrible that the whole country takes to the streets. And that's what happens in Tunisia. So the president at the time, basically a dictator, Zeen l Abadin bin Ali, does the normal dictator thing. He sends out and non dictators, right, we do it here too, Yeah, Yeah, he sends the cops out to beat the shit out of everybody. Right, But he's also he's you talked in when we were talking about Vietnam about like the playbook, and they didn't quite have it down. Part of the playbook is down because in addition to sending the cops out to beat the shit out of people, he it's Basisi in the hospital because he lingers for a while, right, And he also has the officer, the guy who Slappedzizi arrested. You know, he's kind of desperately trying, like maybe this will call him everybody down. It does not. Waz EASi dies in the hospital a couple of days later, and the protests, which are known now as the Jasmin Revolution. It takes about a month, but they force beIN Ali to flee the country for Saudi Arabia and you know, successfully bring an end to his regime and the return of a democratic system. There are functional elections for a while in Tunisia. They gain a significant amount of like political freedom, Like there are some really significant inroads made in terms of like civil rights during this period immediately after the Jasmin Revolution, but things also don't get better, at least not enough.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: This is generally seen Tunisia as the start of the Arab Spring, and if you know anything about the rest the Arab Spring, this was also seen as like kind of the successful case, right, Like, shit didn't work out very well. In Syria or in Egypt, but like, yeah, Bahrain, but here they got rid of the dictator and they gained a lot of civil rights, and that's great. The problem is that the other issues, the high food prices, the fact that unemployment is at a night maarish level, the fact that corruption was a hideous problem in Tunisia. This doesn't just go away, right, because it's deeper than the dictator.
Speaker 4: The culture.
Speaker 2: Whenever you have a culture of corruption like this, which is by the way, it's not just the Middle East that has to deal with this, but if you've spent time in the Middle East, one of the things that is really depressing is how massive and absolutely different, by the way, from the kind of corruption that we have in the West it is over there, the degree to which and you start to care about this not because you're getting fucked over as a tourist, because you really don't notice it much as a tourist. It's when you make friends in that country and you talk to them about, like, how many different people are constantly taking a little bit from them, right, and often not a little bit, like the degree to which regular people suffer because every single person who is quote unquote a government official is just soliciting for bribes. Is that's so much deeper than any one guy in charge, Right, That's something you can't just revolt your way out of it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like one of my professors in college, I don't know if you have actually wrote about it, but he's okay, long story, but he lived in Egypt for a long time and one of the things he would talk about is, like that is the concept of like the oddly powerful bureaucrat. So like the history was like like the guy who sells you tickets at like the train station in Cairo, Like that guy, if you don't fucking pay him, he can just say no and you can't get on a train. And there's just like so many layers of like this guy who controls this specific thing and thus can fuck you over unless you like do what he tells you, which is usually give money. Unfortunately, we need to go to ads. We'll be back in a second, and we're back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's part of why it's more durable is it's not like you know, I think it's South Vietnam. You know, when DM was around, you had a lot of you have all this corruption, but a lot of it is top down, it is people who are loyal to the president. Right, A lot of the corruption in places like this is bottom up in that it's not a situation where all of these men who are so loyal to the dictator have this corrupt position. I mean, that's part of it. I'm not saying that it's not, but a lot of it is that, like, well, maybe it's technically my job to stop the guy who works at the train station from denying people entry if they don't bribe him. But if I do that, then maybe he's going to make a fuss about how I'm doing the same thing for like permits to fix your roof or whatever. Right, Like, it's so much more bottom up in a lot of way. And so the reason this matters is that like, shit doesn't really get better in Tunisia, right, And now that the so while all these problems continue, corruption continues to be an issue, high food prices continue to be an issue. Unemployment continued to be an issue, particularly for young men. Another thing that's changed is that now everyone has seen what's easy does has done and like, obviously he dies horribly, but one thing that happens is like his family moves to Canada, right, like they and this is I don't think fair to his family. I haven't seen evidence they were like corrupt or whatever, but like I think because of how like because they're able to like get out of this situation, it's seen as like, well, maybe if I do this, not only will that hurt whoever whatever, corrupt motherfucker you know, I'm angry at but maybe shit will work out for my family.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: This is often not what actually happens, but there have been hundreds of self immolation cases in the last ten years in Tunisia. It has become you might compare it to kind of mass shootings in the United States. Not on a moral level, you're not doing nearly the same thing. You're not hurting anyone else, but in terms of the fact that it is this this really really shocking event that then becomes kind of routine because people pick up on it as like, well, this is what you do in this situation.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: One of the articles that I read for this was an AP News piece that interviews a guy named Hasni Kalea, who's one of the dudes, one of the many Tunisians who have attempted or succeeded in killing themselves through self e malation is an act of protest. Hasney survived, right, and he did not survive without serious injury. Right now, he has to he covers his face at all times. His left hand he's lost a bunch of fingers. His right hand has no fingers at all anymore. He is just grievously injured as a result of this. And he said, when interviewed by the AP quote, I would never describe the act of self emolation as an act of courage, because even the bravest person in the world couldn't do it. When I poured the petrol over my head, I wasn't really conscious about what I was doing. Then I saw a flash, I felt my skin start to burn, and I fell down. I woke up eight months later in the hospital. And I found that really interesting, because there's a lot of talk right now, you know, with what Aaron Bushnell did about like principle and courage or mental illness or whatever, and like to what do we credit something that is so incomprehensible to most people. And I found what Hawsny says here really interesting because what he's saying is that like you can't even call it courage. You know, it's almost like someone else is doing it. You were animated by such rage and hopelessness that it's almost like someone else is in control of your body. And I don't that doesn't sound like mental illness to me for certain. That sounds like someone that sounds like desperation of such an extent that it's mind altering. I don't know any other way to describe it than that. And I'm not saying this is what goes through everybody's head when they self immalight. But you don't get a lot of inner use with those people after the fact, right Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, like like there's some people who survive into Batan and it's like, well those guys, the Chinese government will not let anyone near them, right, Like, no, you know, and like I guess I should also I should have mentioned this about the Chinese government line on this is that it's very similar to what you see in the American presses like the well, no, you're you're seeing the terrorist stuff too here. But like the Chinese government line, and this line worked pretty well, is like these people were mentally ill, these people are terrorists or they were like misled by like the Dalai Lama who's like leading his people to the flames. Yeah, and that's been kind of the that's been kind of the playbook everywhere for this. That like the one, the one that kind of works is that one. It's it's you have to attack the moral character of the person because it's such an it's such an act of it's an inherently selfless.
Speaker 4: Selfless Yeah, so the only way to do it.
Speaker 2: You can't describe it anywhere else. They're lighting themselves on fire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so and so they like, you know, the it's it's it's the the Roger Stone rat fucking thing of attack and where they're strong and you know, so it's the attack on the moral character that happens. I think the thing with Tunisia too is it's like, like the political alternative to this is this like rabid anti immigrant politics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're like we'll talk about that in a second, but yeah, it doesn't end.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: One thing I do want to hit on is the degree to which, again this kind of does function in Tunisia as like a mametic virus. Hawsny, the guy we heard from, survives, but his brother shortly thereafter lights himself on fire in an active protest and kills himself and his mother attempts to do the same, right like three members of the family all carrying out self immolation, and it is one of those things. This is listed as like an example of the tactic succeeding, and it does in terms of it, it gets the regime out of power. But things are not better in Tunisia, especially since so you know, there is a period of time where there is at least a functioning democracy and significant gains for civil rights, but because food still doesn't get affordable, there aren't jobs.
Speaker 4: A lot.
Speaker 2: You'll find a lot of articles from around twenty twenty, especially when people are like, yeah, I guess freedom's nice, but it's not really worth much if you're starving, you know, yeah, which you know I anyway, all of this leads in part to the coming to power of the guy who is currently leading Tunisia, Kiss Sayed. And as you noted, Mia, you know this guy is a populist. He is elected with seventy two percent of the vote. He frames himself like populis tinma do is like I am. You know, I'm outside the system. I'm going to help you take on the elite that have corruptly ruled our country. And he also is very anti migrant, right Tunisia. A lot of people who migrate into Europe do so through Tunisia just for geographical reasons, and he is blaming a lot of their problems on He does like great replacement shit that all these black migrants are causing our country's problems. He inspires a wave of violence against black people in Tunisia that's pretty hideous and horrific. And he has gained a significant amount of backing from particularly the Italian government, I think also the French government, because he's cracking down on migrants, right, and those migrants come to Italy and France and that's a problem for those governments. So they're supporting this guy, who, by the way, has turned himself into a dictator. All those gains Tunisia had in the Lake of the Arab Spring he has rolled back. He has centralized power, he has more or less destroyed the judiciary is something that's independent, you know, he is if he's not a dictator, he's not only that far from it, you know. And he's being supported by these these quote unquote democratic nations because well, I mean because racism, right, Yeah, same reason they support a Gadaffi, Like, yeah, when it comes to the politicians, it's a mixture of racism, and just like well, racism wins votes, and when it comes to like why racism win votes, it's back to racism, right anyway, So those are that's Tunisia more or less.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, we need to go to ads.
Speaker 3: We'll be back in a second, and we're back. Yeah, So well let's end on a slightly more positive note where well, so the line I was going to give was one about how like you know, I mean, this is the thing with Tunisia, right, is like you have this Tenizia has effectively structural.
Speaker 4: Unemployment rates of like thirty forty percent.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it's and that's the thing that that's the thing that can't be solved without changing the economic system.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: If you you know, if you you can have your political revolution without your social revolution, you'll be right back to where you were in like ten years. The problem though, the other thing is you can have your social revolution and also end up in the same place, which is where we're going with with China. Where So one of the there's a very famous okay, I guess the place we should start with this is that one of the I've talked about this a bit on this show. One of the ways that labor works in China like structurally is that so you're a contractor, you work for contracting company. The contracting company is this like series of shell companies, and there's like a there's like there's a payday on like New Years because that's when the like the financial like the year sort of rolls over and that's when you get paid. And so these companies are designed to specifically go out of business like the day before New Year, so they don't have to pay any of the workers for the work that they've done. And this leads to a rash of protests in China, like every single year on New on like New Year's Day, there's like this massive there's there's a protests like fucking everywhere because people have been screwed. It happens a lot with construction companies, and so there's a very like one of the very common tactics you see is people like standing on top of buildings holding banners saying like we're going to jump unless you guys like pay us. And so that that's kind of the background of this which is that that's like, that's a fairly common kind of like workers protests. In twenty twenty one, there's a delivery driver in Jungsu who he so something something I didn't really talk about the ten episodes is that China's economy is increasingly becoming a gig economy. And this has been this has been happening for a while now. And so this guy is a delivery driver for Ali Baba and he's like, he's like trying to change apps, and the app garnishes his wages and steals seven hundred dollars from him, and that's an enormous amount of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the app garnished his wages. As a sentence, that just makes me want to light something on fire. So I get why this would far protests.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he like tries to get it back and they don't give it to him, and he and he lights himself on fire and this turns into so he lets self on fire and then like this this is this is in twenty twenty one. This is the same year where that Temu employee falls over dead, like like dies in her bed from overwork, and also the same year when a Temou employee jumps off of the building because of over work. And this sets off like a giant kind of shift in the way that the Chinese public is thinking about labor, because up until this one, people have been, you know, like China. It's it's not it's nowhere near as bad as Anesia, but it also has this problem of like everyone works.
Speaker 4: Harder and harder.
Speaker 3: You're working, you're working nine nine six, right, You're working nine am nine pm, six days a week, and you're like, you're working more and more and more hours and you're not getting ahead, right, You're still stuck in your shitty apartment and your app isn't paying you for the work you did. And this leads to a whole like a whole thing that sort of culminates in something I talked about a bit in the ten of episodes, which is the Chinese Supreme Court, Like the Chinese Constitution says you're not supposed to be able to work people for longer than like thirty five hours unless like special circumstances, and the Chinese Supreme Court goes like, well, obviously, you're not allowed to work people like twelve out like twelve hours a day, six days a week, and that isn't like in large part and partially it's because of the the Temu suicide and the Temu thing. But the other huge contributing factor to this, and the other huge thing contributing to Chinese society attempting to reckon kind of with their unbelievable overwork culture is is the self immolation. And it's it's it's one. It goes viral so fast that there's no way to sort of like cover it up. There's it's it's you can't the trade government can't really just press the racism button like they normally would because this isn't someone into back where this isn't someone in Chan John. They can't really do that, and so they kind of are. They're forced to make at least like some kind of change because it pisss off so many people in ways that like can't really be contained. So you know, I guess the lesson from that, if there is one, is sometimes very rarely you can back a government into a corner where the normal things that they would say about it, or like the normal like mental illness, terrorists, deluded things don't work because the raw simplicity of what they did and why just breaks through the media sphere thing.
Speaker 2: And it's again very hard to predict obviously, Like this isn't the first within the last twelve months. This isn't the first self emolation of the United States, right, and the last self emolation attacked or not attacks? Sorry I should geez, do I have a media.
Speaker 5: Brain or what?
Speaker 2: Well? The last self immolation that we had, which I believe was was over climate change.
Speaker 4: Oh there, there there was a Palestine one too.
Speaker 2: Oh there was a past So I guess we've had a couple like two in the last or three now, I guess in the last like twelve months or so, But they didn't the other ones did not really move the needle. Yeah, right, why Aaron do mean? I think I think part of it might have to do with with how to deliver brit It was and how you know, it got was very quickly picked up by local media and the national media. I don't know's that's really outside the scope of these episodes, but I hope you at least now have more of a grounding and like how this has gone other times, people have used this as a method of protest, and hopefully that's of use to you anyway, have a good day.
Speaker 1: Bye, Welcome to Dick It appen here a podcast sometimes occasion, not even that occasionally, that's about a bunch of not very functional massurveillance technology that's being deployed against all of us.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, Mia Wong, also with me as Garrison Davis. Yeah, and so today we're gonna be talking more about something we've talked about on the show like a couple of times, but that is the shot Spotter program, and there was there was recently a leak of the locations of all of shot Spotter's like gunfire sensors, and with us to talk about it are the people who got the leak and wrote the article about about where the shotspatter sensors are, and that is Drew Meirotro who's a staff writer at Wired, and Joey Scott, who's a freelance investigative journalist and photographer. And both of you two, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having us, Yes, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad to be talking to you about this. So, I guess for the people who don't remember or like have not listened to other episodes we've done about this, or have read this article, which you should go read at wired it's great. Can you describe what ShotSpotter is and what it's supposed to do versus what it actually does?
Speaker 6: Sure, Joey, you want me to take this or do you want to do it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Go ahead, sure well. Shot Spotter is.
Speaker 6: A sort of controversial gunshot detection system built by the company Sound Thinking. On the face of it, the tech is sort of straightforward. The company will basically install little sensors on street lights and traffic signs and a jurisdiction, and these sensors are sort of like algorithmically tuned to detect gunshots. So when one of these sensors here's something, it basically will send an alert to an incident review center, which will then like vet the sound make sure it was actually a gunshot before then forwarding it to dispatchers who send a cop to investigate the sound. You know, activists and academics have been basically saying for years that this tech is inaccurate and primes police basically to go to low income community communities of color expecting gunshots when likely they won't find any.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the specifically low income communities of color thing is a big part of this because so you'll created a map of where the shot Spotter sensors are from the data you got. And I looked at Chicago one and immediately I was like, I recognized that map. That is the map of where the not white people are in the city's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's it's stark. I think a lot a lot of the responses that I've seen on Twitter and you know, in my email inboxer essentially that like, look, this is just a map of where all the not white people are and whatever city that it's deployed in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and y'all did some analysis of what you found sort of statistically about where these censors ended up and like the sort of the I guess like class and racial composition of those places. Can you talk about that a little bit?
Speaker 6: Sure, I'll take this one just because I worked on the analysis. So yeah, I mean what we found is that more than twelve million Americans live in a neighborhood with at least one shot Spotter sensor. We basically joined census data onto the locations of every single shots botter microphone and looked at the demographic composition of those neighborhoods. And you know what we found is that an aggregate. Nearly seventy percent of the people who live in a neighborhood with one set with at least one sensor identify as either black or Latine. Nearly three quarters of those neighborhoods are a majority not white, and the average household income in a neighborhood with at least one sensor is fifty thousan dollars a year. So these are low income communities of color. It's kind of hard to describe it in any other way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, one of the things, and this has been a thing for so I'm in Chicago. There's been a huge series of fights over getting rid of ShotSpotter here. And one of the things you hear all the time that shot is the shots are People will go, no, well, we don't use race as a factor for yeah, but the ShotSpotter insists that they don't use race at all in indetermining where where they put these sensors. But kabba, they've still managed to somehow create this map.
Speaker 4: And I don't know.
Speaker 3: I I'm wondering what you think about like their response and whether you and I guess this is more of a subjective think, like how much do you actually believe them when they say this.
Speaker 7: Well, I think when you know, we are investigating this, we found that the police don't even know where these locations are, and so they're just given ShotSpot or data of where to put this stuff. So the police can kind of wipe their hands of like, oh, we insisted that they put it in this place or anything like that. And I think, you know, Drove can probably speak to this, but you know, the argument is this is where all the shootings are, and so that's where they are. But you know, when you investigate that, it doesn't call into effect like in other parts of the country outside of like.
Speaker 5: Chicago or something.
Speaker 7: You look at gun violence and where these alerts are, you know, they aren't just where the alerts are. And you know, Pasadena is an example. You know, shootings happen outside of where the alerts are, but they're specifically in a very specific part of Pasadena that is poor and non white.
Speaker 6: So yeah, yeah, and I think you know, when we spoke to sound Thinking, you know, I think it's important to point out here that they did not dispute or findings or the sort of authenticity of the doc. But you know, they said what you would expect that the sensor deployment is not really informed by race. And you know, the way it works, as Joey says, is that the company basically asks police department who purchased the systems for data about gun violence, which Sound Thinking says is objective. But we have no idea what that data actually looks like, right. We don't know if it's all crime data, which might be you know, a subject to enforcement bias, right if they include things like drug crimes on their drug arrests. So we just don't really know why Sound Thinking, you know, makes a recommended plan for their sensor deployment. The other thing that Sound Thinking had told me is that, you know, sometimes they'll ask for data and they'll do it this sort of data informed way, but other times cops will just say, like, look, we want the we want the deployment in this area, and that might include like a stadium or a school or places where people gather. So you know, it's kind of we don't really know why exactly Sound Thinking is deploying its centers in any given location.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and having them be deployed by cops is like, he is a spectacular way to have cop brain in terms of locations which not not not not I don't know, not an especially good way to get a statistically unbiased sampling of where you would potentially want these things. So I guess I guess the a thing we should talk about in terms of what the issues what the system is are. Okay, So ShotSpotter claims that it and this is something I've seen over and over and over again. It claims it is a ninety seven percent accuracy rate of detecting gunshots. There's just I don't believe it. None of the research I've ever seen backs that up. You talk a bit about a bit about like what it what it's actually detecting, versus what what they sort of claim it is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think, well, I guess the overreaching kind of theme here is we just don't know. ShotSpotter is very not transparent about their data. There have been really no peer reviewed, independent studies of the technology. So when we make when we talk about, you know, how effective it is, that that is a claim that ShotSpotter makes based off of, you know, very little information given to the public about it, you know, And that's kind of the big issue is when you start getting down into the nitty gritty of like what's actually going on. You notice that a lot of the times what they consider a gunshot, police will investigate and find out it was a firework, which if you live in you know, I use Pasadena because it's next to me. Out here in La you know, fireworks are kind of how we celebrate and it's a different kind of language out here.
Speaker 5: You know, fireworks happen all the time.
Speaker 7: So once you start getting into looking at some of the data that I have been able to get, you start seeing that, you know, maybe they claim it was a gunshot, but when police show up, they don't find any evidence of a gun crime, and sometimes they find out it was a car backfiring or construction equipment and all of that. And that just kind of shows, you know, their claim that it's effective at identifying gunshots is you know, very questionable to make that claim.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you know, their ninety seven like the ninety seven percent figure that they cite in their marketing material is based on police reporting back to ShotSpotter that there was a mistake, right like for Shotswatter to count a the to count like a gunshot or to count of sound as an error, the police have to report it back to ShotSpotter, right, So it's almost like by default, if they hear nothing, they have one hundred percent accuracy rate. But it is say that you know they're informed of this, they you know, will adjust that rate well.
Speaker 3: And and also I mean that that that's a metric that relies on the cops telling them, like it relies on the cops taking an extra step in an investigation. And these are like, you are dealing with one of the most notoriously lazy group of people, like in the entire country, Like I have I have watched these people on duty in Chicago. They spend like eighty percent of their time standing around on their phones playing candy Crush, right, Like this this entire statistics thing requires them to do another step. It's like, like, what percentage of the time is a cop going to admit that they ran out to this thing and like drew their guns and we're doing their like whole oh there's been gunshots thing and then there's just nothing there, Like I don't know, it seems like cast a pall over even this, even even the sort of potential that their data can be right, right.
Speaker 7: I mean we all know that cops lie. Yeah, we've seen them kind of use shot spotter alerts. You know, Chicago was one of the examples where they were using it as cover to make illegal stops and you know, yeah, that sort of thing. So, you know, if there's room for that, it's hard to then take what data police are giving them in this way as accurate. And then again it goes back to, well, we don't the public doesn't get to see any of that information. Oh, we don't get to make that I guess distinction between the two, and you know, know what's best for people's communities because of that.
Speaker 3: That's one of the things about this program that is really alarming is that you have this massurveillance technology and the people in charge of it were like the people people who would be in charge of sort of like deciding whether or not you want it. It's like like both both the general public and like city mayors et cetera, et cetera, seem to have so little information about whether about what it's even doing that it's incredibly difficult to make any kind of like any kind of sort of database choice. All you have is sort of this combination of like the company going oh, yeah, well, obviously their stuff works, and then this sort of well, I mean, this is the thing that's been happening in Chicago, is this sort of like crime panic stuff they just that people just fall back on, and they combine this sort of crime panic with just the assumption that it works because that's what it says in the box, and that's a I think a really alarming combination to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I think the fact that city council members are kept in the dark about the locations of these things, as are you know, the police departments to pay for the cities to pay for it. I think it's you know, something that's really been quite interesting as after we published is that, you know, I've gotten a bunch of emails from city council members asking, you know, asking me if I can provide them data about the locations because they can't even get them from the company.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, there's a lot of transparency issues here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know, this is a public this is a tool being paid with public money.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: Another thing we found in the data was that there are a list of sensors that are broken or out of service or anything like that. In talking to various police departments, ShotSpotter doesn't let them know when that happens, and you know.
Speaker 5: Referred us to talk as the shot spot about that.
Speaker 7: So you know, not even the functionality of like how many sensors are down are really communicated and that's a huge problem. But like again this data, as a journalist to investigate it, to request documents, I can count at least three separate cities where shot spotter intervened and said the release of the data would be a trade secret. And so therefore, yeah, so like even any data that shows transparency of like anything more detailed than just an alert that many cities have, ShotSpotter won't release because it is quote unquote a trade secret. Mind you, I have gotten documents from other cities that are more detailed, and then when I request those from other cities, shot Spotter intervenes and goes, no, that's a trade secret.
Speaker 5: So it's this kind of.
Speaker 7: Trying to hide the transparency that then adds more skepticism to the effectiveness and usefulness of the product, which the public I believe everyone would agree, deserves a right to know, especially if it's taxpayer money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's a lot of money too.
Speaker 3: So speaking of a lot of money, unfortunately we have to take an ad break, so we will be back in a second.
Speaker 4: Okay, we are back.
Speaker 3: Something I wanted to talk about with the way that these sensors are used, so about actually, okay, sorry, I should have actually figured out the exact date after which the story originally came out, but maybe like four or five days after your story came out. There was a story that came out of Chicago about a sort of effectively the cover up of a case where CPD was responding to a shot spotter ping and it was just like a thirteen year old kid shooting off fireworks and the cop showed up and immediately started shooting, and like, thankfully cops can't set up a barn, so the kid didn't get shot, but like, this child had a cop shoot at him while the kid was running towards the cop going no was fireworks. Yeah, So I was wondering what kind like, you know, how many of those kinds of stories did you run into when you were sort of like doing this, running into the story, and yeah, what is the impact of that stuff sort of been?
Speaker 6: You know, I think that that example that you bring up is particularly egregious, But what happens more often, I think, are these there's sort of like less dramatic events where you know, sound thinking or shot spotter will detect two shots and deploy cops to a corner, and you know, they'll detain someone on the scene, run their name through their you know, their databases, and find that this guy has got a bench warrant, or you know, pick someone up on a misdemeanor.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: So, like I think, you know, while there are some really egregious examples, a thing that that I think about a lot here is that is just how much unnecessary how many unnecessary arrests are happening because of ShotSpotter, right, how many people are being picked up on bullshit essentially?
Speaker 7: Yeah, And you know that that recent case in Chicago with the kid with the firework, and you know, it wasn't too long ago that you know, Adam Toledo was shot, Yeah, a thirteen year old kid for the same reason. Cops were responding to a shot spotter alert. And the Chicago o i G and their report about it kind of highlighted one of the things, which is cops are just primed to be you know, expecting you know, gunfire, somebody shooting at them and everything. And you know, I think that's that is a danger, you know, but again to what Druv's saying is like it also leads to a lot of unnecessary stops. It opens up people to be profiled and padded down, and you know, so both options are not great, you know, when you consider the harm that this causes. It's just we all know that, Like, cops are very jumpy to begin with, So you know, they hear a firework or you know, an acorn hits their cop car or something. We all know that, Like, that's probably not what we need police to be expecting on a call. And so you're just telling people, oh, gunshots and then then they're going to run in expecting to be fired upon. And I don't think that's great for society.
Speaker 4: You were talking about that, So I don't know if there's much more to say. I think that's true. We dot acorn cop.
Speaker 9: I think the a corn incident stands on itself. I don't think it needs to even be talked about. I think it I think one sentences speaks speaks a whole book's worth of possible analysis of police behavior, and no being the notion of police rushing into every situation thinking that there's there was there was a gunshot obviously has its inherent problems.
Speaker 7: Now, Like mind you, a lot of the times, you know, and at least in in other cities, it's sixty to eighty percent of the time they don't find anything, you know, which I think is good in the sense that nobody's being harmed or stopped, but it's also bad when you consider the effectiveness and utility of the device, you know, which shot Spatter has kind of distanced themselves from, you know, this idea of preventing gun crime or lowering croun crime and more are in terms of like safety and arriving to a scene quicker to render aid and help police find shell casinges. You know, you've seen over the years the kind of switch of focus on what the technology does, and that most certainly happened around the time they changed their name to Sound Thinking, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think you know. The other thing I wanted to mention here is that, you know, from a different leaked internal report from the State's Attorney's Office in Illinois, in Cook County, Illinois, it found that like a third of arrests stemming from a shot spotter alert actually had nothing to do with a gun In the first place. So it's not even like you know, there eighty nine percent of alerts, don't, you know, result in finding a shell casing. It's that even when there are arrests that occur from a shot spotter alert, thirty percent of them have nothing to do with a gun, right, And that just shows you sort of the criminalization of what happened of people in areas that have these microphones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the combination of those two things gets you to this point about Shotspatter's effectiveness, which is that like, Okay, so we've had ShotSpotter for a while in Chicago, right, Chicago police do not solve murders like it's sub it's their murder clearance rate. And you have to keep in mind that murder clearance doesn't actually mean they solved a murder. But like even that jacked up murder clearance rate I don't think has had like I think they may have had one year in my entire life, over fifty percent. And that was because murder clearance counts if two people both shoot each other and they both die, that counts as a clearance, or they find us their suspect dies in like another way. So it's it's pretty clear that it's not actually substantively contributing to Chicago Police department solving murders. Like you have a better than coin flip odds if you kill someone in Chicago that like the police aren't even gonna like really try to figure out what happened. And so yeah, I think I think it makes a lot of sense that they've been pivoting away from even like even claiming that this can do anything to solve gun violence, because it just clearly hasn't at all, and it's and instead it seems to be doing a bunch of other stuff, which is like either throwing cops around doing is like throwing cops around chasing like shadows, which either results in them arresting just random people or like having these really sort of terrifying incidents, or it just results in straight up nothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're gonna go to ads. We'll be back in however long capitalism dictates, So see you then we're back.
Speaker 9: And I think, like looking at the effectiveness, like two cities that have continued to deny shot spot or contracts are Atlanta and Portland, two cities that spend a lot of time thinking about how they equip their police spend a lot of time like making sure that their police are able to serve the largest amount of the community possible. And the fact that like specifically Atlanta with their massive like flock program of an integrated camera network across the whole city, like it is one of the most surveilled cities in the country, if not the most. The fact that they are turning down this equipment for not being effective enough and it being too costly is a sign for like, beyond it just being a sign, it's also like a look at what why other police departments are interested in this and like what it allows them to do and being deployed to these various communities that have the what like twenty five thousand sensors. But no, I mean like they've constantly tried to send this stuff to Atlanta and it's like and it's just it's simply not happening. And even after twenty twenty that Portland's like, no, it's it's two super super useful examples to measure how much this technology actually is going to get used for what they say it's being used for, versus just having an excuse to act like there's gunfire all across the city.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know, I think when we start more police departments are going to start relying more on technology, sure, largely because many departments cannot hire more cops. Now, this isn't advocating me. You know, I don't want police departments to hire more cops. You know, they've slowly defunded themselves in that way. But like you know, cities like Los Angeles are trying to grow their surveillance capabilities for that reason.
Speaker 5: They just do not have enough. They say, they do not have enough cops.
Speaker 7: And so this is where kind of the surveillance capitalism is going to really thrive, is police departments are going to get desperate and they're going to start reaching out and getting more invasive surveillance technology. And you know, I think in some cities, shot spotter is kind of they're a way of quieting the narratives about you know, the growing gun violence and everything in their communities. You know, they're like, oh, look, we've deployed this new toy to kind of help us without really solving anything, because we all know cops aren't really good at solving crime. Yeah, so it kind of gives them cover of like we're bad at our jobs. So how do we make it look like we're better. Well, let's you know, invest in some new technology, so it looks like we're trying something. But you know, at the end of the day, it's a waste of money. And then the impacts of that is harm, you know, greater than the good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like we're spending an enormous amount of money to hurt people for no reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And you know, I think ShotSpotter is only one of Sound Thinking's offerings, right, Like they you know, when they changed their name to sound Thinking, it's sort of like reflected this pivot in the company where now they were going to start thinking more about like resource management. Right, how do how do we convince departments that our technology is going to better help them allocate their resources? And you know, surveillance is the way to do that. We can measure where crime is, we can measure where gunshots is and where gunshots are, and we can deploy police there. And one of shot spot or recently Sound Thinking had acquired like a notorious predictive policing company called Predpole. That happens I think earlier this year. So you know, they're trying to expand their offerings here to be this kind of resource management solution for departments SEBIA.
Speaker 4: Did you have anything else you wanted to bring up here? Yeah, I guess. I guess there's one more thing. I one talk about what you said.
Speaker 3: So one of the things that I've heard from places that have gotten rid of their contracts is that shotspotters not like taking their sensors down even when cities stopped doing contracts. I was wondering what you two sort of know about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I reached out to Dayton, Ohio, who recently got rid of their contracts, and I reached out, you know, because I was like asking departments who had it, like are you aware of the status of the sensors or do you know the locations? You know?
Speaker 5: Both knows.
Speaker 7: And then I asked Dayton, you know, well, now that the contract's over, what happens to the sensors? And they basically said, we don't know. That's shotswatter's responsibility, and their responsibility is maintenance and care and removal and installation.
Speaker 4: So who knows.
Speaker 7: Obviously somebody knows, because it's not like some person could just start climbing telephone poles and installing avalance equipment. So obviously, you know, somebody is issuing permits to install stuff and put stuff up there. But like you know, as we're finding out, city council members don't know, police departments don't know, and so who knows what happens to these devices afterwards? And then say a city like Chicago, you know, say they cancel their contracts, Well, a new mayor can come in and then just instantly turn them back on, you know, and that way, And so that's kind of the other thing we're solely starting to learn here. It's more cities start canceling their contracts or not renewing them. You know, it is what happens to the technology afterwards, and we don't know, which.
Speaker 4: Is not a great sign.
Speaker 3: Like, I mean, you know, it's not good that there's just a bunch of states surveillance technology around all the time, but it somehow feels even worse that we don't have any idea what happens to even if the state decides it doesn't want to use it. So yeah, I guess on that a somewhat disquieting note. Do you have anything else? So you wanted to make sure you get to.
Speaker 7: Oh nothing for me, No, I mean this is you know, thanks to you know, somebody brave enough to send us the info, and it's the only way this information has been able to get out.
Speaker 5: And I think.
Speaker 7: If I implore the public to really research and dig into this technology, if their cities are thinking about extending their contracts or bringing a contract in and really questioning and trying to get shot spatter on the record to answer for some of these things. And you know, we know what works and what doesn't work. And I think most cities are starting to find out that there is a better use of that amount of money to stop these sort of gun crimes, interventions and other more community based solutions rather than just dumping money into surveillance technology. And you know, you can get a lot done with an eight million dollars. Yeah, you know, it's just it's just like there's always money in the Banana Stan sort of thing, and there's like there's always money for police. So it's just like, why don't we just retransform that money into things that actually work in these communities.
Speaker 5: And you know, go behind that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and I think, I don't know, hopefully hopefully this will encourage more cities just stop paying for this shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So where can people find you choose work? I mean, I know, like obviously this one's on Wired, but are online places et cetera, et cetera, social media places, plug yourself go yayh.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm I'm You can find my stuff on Wired dot com and I'm on X or Twitter or whatever you want to call it at d Marrow and on blue Sky at d Marrow d M E h r O.
Speaker 7: And you can find me on Instagram and Twitter with the user name Joey never Joe. And then my writings have been in a local press out here in La La Public Press and Knock La.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and thank you to both so much for coming on.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having us, Thank you so much, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm gonna encourage everyone else to go get your city to not use this stuff because it sucks. All right, this has been this has been naked happen here. You can find us in the usual places.
Speaker 10: Goodbye, hello, and welcome to it could happen here. This is Sharene and today we are talking about you guessed it, Palestine. I'm also gonna keep talking about Palestine because there has been a genocide happening for the past five months and also seventy six years and I refuse to let it be forgotten about. But I refused to let it be something that we used to talk about, because it's happening right now and we need to talk about it. So here I am talking about it. And while being a public supporter of Palestine has never been popular in the United States, since October, we've seen a significant increase in the silencing of Palestinian and pro Palestinian voices. And this is happening both online and offline. But let's first start with the digital sphere, where the censorship of Palestinian voices and pro Palestinian content can have really dangerous consequences, especially since the vast majority of US consume our news via social media these days. Meta, for example, has a long history of systematically censoring Palestine related content. While the company has stated that it's quote whenever their intention to suppress a particular community or point of view, Access Now conducted a report where their documentation points to the opposite conclusion. The information in this episode, when it comes to Meta in particular, will be from the findings of Access Now in their report. Because I don't think the report got the attention it deserved when it was published on February nineteenth. Denying the public from both expressing and seeing content supporting Palestine is a very dangerous game that only further bolsters Israeli propaganda as well as silences any criticism against the settler colony of Israel. This is not okay and it should concern you because you have the right to know the truth. This pattern of censorship is no glitch. Soon after Israel began bombarding Gaza and blatantly committing genocide last October, Palestinians and people sharing pro Palestinian messages began to report that their content was being censored and suppressed on social media platforms, including on Facebook and Instagram. The platforms restricted and sometimes even suspended the accounts of Palestinian journalists and activists both inside and outside of Gaza, and arbitrarily deleted a considerable amount of content, including documentation of atrocities and human rights abuses committed by Israel against the Palestinian people. Examples of this online censorship show that it is rampant, systematic, and global. For instance, Human Rights Watch has documented one thousand and fifty cases of peaceful content expressing support for Palestine originating for more than sixty countries around the world being removed between October and November twenty twenty three. Meanwhile, the Palestinian Observatory for Digital Rights Violations has documented around one thousand, forty three instances of censorship between October seventh of twenty twenty three and February ninth of this year, including on Facebook and Instagram, from content removals to very blatant restrictions. The following examples illustrate the main pat patterns of censorship on Meta's platforms documented since October seventh, twenty twenty three. Our first example is Facebook's removal of content that was documenting the explosion at at Heity Arab Hospital. It removed content shared by people who were on the ground during the massacre and during the bombing. The automatic deletion of bystander content with evidentiary value, especially during times of war, not only violates people's ability to express themselves and freely access information, it also hinders current and future investigations into alleged war crimes. At atrocities perpetrated in Gaza by Israel funded by the United States. There had also been suspensions of prominent Palestinian and Palestine related accounts. Meta has banned and suspended scores of accounts that posted content about Palestine. For instance, October tenth, twenty twenty three, manda Weis reported that Instagram had twice suspended the account of les La Wara, its West Bank video correspondent. It was only after manda Weiss publicized the suspension that the platform quickly reinstated her account. Metta also suspended the account of Gaza journalists and photographer Motaz Azza, who gained more than eighteen point six million followers for reporting on the genocide in Gaza. This forced him to create a new backup account under at Mota Gaza, which acquired more than one million followers within twenty four hours. Meta later did reinstate Motaz's original account, but several of Azaza's posts showing dead or injured Palestinians were flagged by Instagram for possibly violating its policy on adult nunity and sexual activity. Under its DOI policy, which stands for dangerous Organizations and Individuals. Meta also permanently banned the Arabic and English language Facebook pages of Klutz News Network, the largest and entirely volunteer run Palestinian news outlet. Which has over ten million followers on Facebook. Other news outlets that Meta has temporarily suspended or banned include Aigle Radio Network, Breakthrough News, twenty four FM, and Palestinian Refugees Portal. In addition, Palestinian journalists Fatten, Edwin, Salehel Jafarawi and Ahmed chiheb Alden have all experienced and continue to experience content takedowns and account restrictions on Instagram and Facebook. There have also been numerous examples of restrictions on pro Palestinian users and content. Here are some examples. Meta blocked Jerusalem based activist sad Nandberk from live streaming on Instagram. It restricted Jewish American artists and author Malli Krabapple's Instagram account, and there have also been documented cases of Meta hiding Instagram comments that contain the Palestinian flag emoji for being quote potentially offensive. Many people have reported being barred from commenting on Instagram posts containing Palestine related content. One user said that a comment was blocked for over twenty four hours without explanation. People have also reported being unable to repost or reshare content related to Palestine in their Instagram stories. In addition, to the usual screening that Meta imposes on graphic or violent content, Meta imposed a quote sensitive content warning before users could reshare Palestine related posts via their Instagram stories. In some instances, attempts to reshare such content generated a blank page and a message stating that quote something went wrong. Following the Arab Hospital massacre, people reported being unable to reshare a video report that was criticizing Western media coverage of the bombing, either via their direct messages or Instagram stories. This video report was conducted by a Lebanese media outlet called Megaphone. Meta has also repeatedly discouraged users from following or sharing content from popular Palestini accounts that we're sharing updates on Gaza, in the form of prompts saying, quote are you sure you want to follow or mention this account? And warnings that certain accounts have quote repeatedly posted false information or violated metas community guidelines And perhaps the most disturbing incident and one that I will never forget and I hope you don't either. And if you haven't heard about this, buckle up. Instagram repeatedly auto translated the word Palestinian or instances of the Palestinian flag use alongside the Arabic phrase at haamdula lain, which means praise be to God on people's bios. But hamdla lah, by the way, is an extremely innocent phrase that is used by all people. Let's speak Arabic essentially, and it's said all the time. It's a very peaceful, calmly thing to say, ahamdla lah, thank you God.
Speaker 4: But guess what they.
Speaker 10: Translated this into Instagram translated the word Palestinian, the use of the Palestine flag along with adamdula la in people's bios into Palestinian terrorists are fighting for their freedom. Palestinian terrorists are fighting for their freedom? Are you fucking kidding me? When a TikTok user uncovered this disturbing pattern, Meta apologized and fixed the issue, and we all moved on. One of the most insidious ways that Palestinian and pro Palestinian voices are being censored and suppressed on Meta's platforms is via the restriction of certain accounts reach and visibility without any explanation or notification aka shadow banning. For example, following the Lebanese media outlet megaphones coverage of the air hospital attack, its Instagram account at megaphone News was hidden from search results. Evidence also suggests that on October eighth, twenty twenty three, Meta hid Instagram content that included the hashtag at uxaflood from view. Meta's censorship of Palestine voices and Palestinian related content as far from new. In recent years, however, it has become increasingly pronounced, with a well documented pattern of systematic censorship, algorithmic bias, and discriminatory content moderation emerging. During the twenty twenty one Schechtracht protests, social media content expressing support for Palestinian rights was deleted, removed, and shadow band while users who were sharing such content were suspended or prevented from commenting or live streaming, and pro Palestinian hashtags were suppressed. These were all serious problems that Meta brushed off as quote a technical issue. Let's take a little breather, and when we come back, we'll talk about silencing that is outside of the digital world, so brb.
Speaker 8: Were back.
Speaker 10: In addition to digital silencing, we have seen cases of silencing occurring offline, as Americans are being fired or facing threats for speaking out in support of Palestine. An open letter published in art Forum on October nineteenth, declared we support Palestinian liberation and call for an end to the killing and harming of all civilians. It was signed by thousands of artists, scholars, and cultural workers, including the Art World magazine's editor David Velasco. A week later, Velasco was fired from the publication that he had worked at for eighteen years, reportedly after pushback from Martin Eisenberg, a major art patron, and Ben Batham Beyond Air Wow. At least four Art Forum editors have resigned in protest against Velasko's firing, and many many more people have lost their jobs. Just a few quick examples, A Philadelphia's sportswriter was fired after tweeting quote solidarity with Palestine and criticism of a seventy six ers post that offered support to Israel after Hamas's attack. In another high profile incident, a University of California Berkeley professor was sacked as editor in chief of the scientific journal eLife after he retweeted an onion article that he said, quote calls out indifference to the lives of Palestinian civilians. A spokesperson for Palestine Legal, a civil rights group, says it has responded to more than two hundred and sixty incidents of suppression against Palestinian rights activists over two weeks of October, more than it did in all of twenty twenty two. The Council on American Islamic Relations also CARE or CR, which is a civil rights nonprofit, says it received seven hundred and seventy four complaints between October seventh and October twenty fourth, which was the largest wave of complaints that it's handled since Donald Trump announced his Muslim in twenty fifteen. This wave has targeted professional activists as well as ordinary people who have spoken in defense of Palestinians. It has reportedly also escalated into death threats, as well as assaults and visits from the FBI to Muslim individuals and mosques. In surprise to absolutely no one in the United States, the highest levels of power have long supported voices backing Israel and its military. In the words of Justin Sadowski, an attorney at CARE, the swift blowback against pro Palestinian voices builds on decades of organized efforts to quote tar Palestinian rights speech as pro terrorists or anti Semitic. The late civil rights attorney Michael Ratner called this the quote Palestine exception to free speech. In twenty fifteen, CCR and Palestine Legal published a report on the tactics used by pro Israel lobbying groups, school administrators, and public officials to shut down Palaceesinian rights activists. They included false accusations of anti Semitism or support for terrorism, as well as legal threats and criminal investigations, and they often succeeded in intimidating or deterring Palestinian solidarity activists from speaking out and again, this pattern of silencing is not new. The prominent Palestinian American scholar Rashid Khalidi recalls feeling overwhelmingly outnumbered at Columbia University in two thousand and three when pro Israel advocates protested against him and other faculty, as well as students who spoke out against Israel amid intense fighting in Gaza and the West Bank. News crews hounded him on campus, and pro Israel students even made a documentary about the controversy. Khalidi says, I think the narrative was pretty firmly in the hands of people who supported Israel, but he continued, there is a generational change taking place, with young people having an entirely different set of views. They consume different media, and I think they're more educated, more worldly, and better informed than their elders. The recent laws against the boycotting of Israel, in particular, which thirty six states have enacted, directly stifle political advocacy by making people choose between their livelihoods and their First Amendment rights. Last year, the Jewish American scholar Nathan Thral announced that he had been disinvited from speaking at the University of Arkansas for refusing to sign an anti boycott pledge that was required of public contractors by state law. Maybe after all this, you're asking yourself.
Speaker 3: So what do we do Now?
Speaker 10: We do exactly what they don't want us to do, exactly what they're afraid of us doing, exactly what they're trying to deter us from doing. Continue talking about Palestine and sharing news and images and information that exposes Israel's crime of genocide against the Palestinian people. The same way people say to vote with your dollar when it comes to boycotting certain brands and choosing where your money goes. You can decide how you want to use your social media platforms. What do you want to do with your digital presence?
Speaker 4: What do you stand for?
Speaker 10: Personally? I think the days of casually and incessantly posting about your life are behind us, or at least we're headed in that direction. We're utilizing social media in a different way now. Seeing how gen Z has utilized TikTok to share information is a great example of that. I don't think celebrity culture, unfortunately, will ever completely go away on social media, but I do think we are demanding more of our celebrities now, and I think, especially as we're seeing quote unquote trusted news sources pedal disinformation and propaganda in an irresponsible and appalling way. To put it very lightly, we are relying on each other to share real information, and in this case, our resources are coming from the people who are directly experiencing the horrors of genocide for the past five months and seventy six years, and those voices must be amplified. There are a lot of solid arguments to be made against social media as a whole when it comes to whether or not it benefits humanity, but I am seeing something shift now where we are able to utilize this tool for our betterment. If it wasn't for social media, the movement for Palestinian liberation would not be where it is today. People who were previously uninformed would never have seen the reality of the situation were it not for our ability to learn from each other outside of the limitations of mainstream news. We are learning to trust the establishment less and trust each other more. And I think we're able to use social media in this way. It's actually a net positive for us. It doesn't have to be empty in mind, theming in a way to control us or get us to spend our money to keep the capitalism machine in good working order. We can decide how we utilize our digital presence and the good that can come from it, and to be united in this way is extremely powerful and it can ignite real change, and at the very least, it can be our way of spiting the powers that be and refusing to be sheep. Existing in an age of mass surveillance is frankly very terrifying. But seeing the lengths that companies like Meta will not only go to to surveill us, but to monitor what we consume, it's extremely revealing of how weak their power actually is. It's up to us to take back that power, especially now as we are witnessing a genocide happen in real time on our silly little devices for the past five months, and having people become aware of the slower genocide and ethnic cleansing that has taken place for seventy six years. So keep talking about Palestine, both in person with your peers and family and online. I can't guarantee that you won't face pushback or repercussions, because as we know, that is a real possibility, but the community of people that you gain from learning of and speaking the truth far outweighs any individual fear, and I would rather stand for something than cower by myself or be controlled by fear. We do have the ability to change things. I have to believe that something else is possible, but it starts with taking the blinders off and making a choice about how you want to utilize the tools at your disposal, rather than be utilized yourself. And that, my friends, is our episode for today. Thank you so much for listening and repel us.
Speaker 8: Tone Hello and welcome back to it could happen here. I am once again You're a guest host Molly Conger. Today is our friend Garrison. Hello, excited to get the Robert Rundo rundown. So you already know what we are talking about today. It is a guy that you probably already know more about than you ever wanted to. It is Rob Rundo, the founder of the Nazi fight club, the Rise Above movement. You and Robert did a great two part Behind the Bastards on RAM back in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: Which is shockingly three years ago, which does not sound right, but I guess is the case.
Speaker 8: It's been a long three years for you, but an even stranger one for Rob.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's been really a country hopic a lot the past few years.
Speaker 4: Huh. He's been busy.
Speaker 8: So when you recorded that episode back in January of twenty twenty one, Rundo's federal charges had been dismissed by Judge Cormack Carney in twenty nineteen. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals overturned that decision in March twenty twenty one, right around the time the episode came out. I think at the end of the second episode you had a PostScript, like an addendum you recorded afterwards, because before it came out, the Ninth Circuit ruling had been issued.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, but in.
Speaker 8: An almost comical turn of events, Judge Carney has once again dismissed those charges two weeks ago.
Speaker 9: Now, so three years later, a few countries later, hopping from Serbia to the United States to probably other places around Europe.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and we're sort of back in the same position you were in when you talked about him three years ago.
Speaker 4: Times that's circle.
Speaker 8: But before we get into one of the sort of strangest legal slap fights I've ever read, let's back up for a second. Who is Rob Rundo and what was he charged with? Yeah, So, if you want a more robust look at the early days of the Rise Above movement, I do recommend going back and listening to that Behind the Bastards two parter on the Rise Above Movement. It originally aired in March twenty twenty one, So like, really scroll back in your podcast app. But we'll do a quick recap here because it's not I can't assign the listener homework. So so the Rise Above movement first emerged in early twenty seventeen, after a brief period of being called the DIY Division Both stupid Dames. I don't know which one's better, but Ram. We're just going to call them RAM. In twenty seventeen was a big year for political violence. It was it was really hot that year. The group was, on its surface, a mixed martial arts club for white men. They trained together and bonded over their shared and abhorrent political views. In their own words, they are fighting against the modern world corrupted by the destructive cultural influences of liberals, Jews, Muslims, and immigrants, you know.
Speaker 4: And gay people and gay people.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm just pretty much pretty much everybody.
Speaker 4: Except you know themselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Essentially, if you were not a member of the Nazi Fight Club, you are a victim of the Nazi fight Club.
Speaker 4: That's the first rule of Nazi fights or whatever.
Speaker 8: The first rule of Nazi fight Club was not don't talk about Nazi fight Club. And I think that's they shutout it. They cannot stop talking. Like if they had just followed the first rule of fight club, they might not be in this position. But RAM quickly became a staple at rallies in southern California that year. In the spring and summer of twenty seventeen, they kept showing up and kept throwing punches In March, members assaulted journalists and counter protesters at a MAGA rally in Huntington Beach. In April, they assaulted numerous counter protesters at a rally in Berkeley. In August, RAM members attended Unite the Right in Charlottesville and assaulted counter protesters in the streets.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 8: And you know they're not just going to these events and getting in fights, right, They're not just like showing up and just like it just happens. They're going to these events planning on committing these assaults and then bragging about the assaults publicly and privately. They're using these acts of violence as propaganda and recruitment tools, right like they're making little videos they're posting about it. It's not just about committing the assault. So the violence is not just about physically hurting people. It's part of the larger strategy to incite others to join them in this project. And that's I mean, you already know this. You covered that in your episode three years ago. This is for everybody else, and they're still going. Unfortunately, these these they're now often called active clubs, are more popular than what they were three years ago. They've they've become very a very big staple of white supremacist organizing across the United States and Canada, mirroring a lot of organizational styles in Eastern Europe. There's probably one in your area that you might not know about. They are active on telegram, They're actively recruiting. They recruit from high schools.
Speaker 9: Is a big increasing problem as Patriot Front becomes more and more like fed jacketed between their own Nazi ranks, we have seen more people plugging into into these active clubs.
Speaker 8: Right RAM did not go away, it's just sort of morphed. And so back in twenty seventeen they said they had a lot of members. They probably had like twenty But now these active clubs just they do genuinely have chapters all over the country. Yeah, but back in the past, right So after Unite the Right RAM members decided to lay off the rallies a little bit. You know, being seen on camera beating a woman into the pavement at a rally that ended in a hate crime murder invited some bad press and they weren't looking to get door knocks at that particular moment, So they backed off a little bit at the end of twenty seventeen, but they'd spent most of that year attending rallies and getting into physical altercations. It wasn't until over a year after Unite the Right in October of twenty eighteen, that there was any attempt to do anything about this very obvious problem. You know, the criminal complaint itself even says that some of these assaults were committed in plain view of cops who just stood there and did nothing while these guys beat the shit out of people in the streets. You know, they're in each other's dms, bragging about kicking a woman in the head while she's lying on the ground, but nobody lifted a finger to stop them. But in October of twenty eighteen, two cases were filed. One in the Western Virginia charges were filed against Ben Daley, Cole White, Thomas Gillen, and Michael Miscelis, And a few weeks later, in the Central District of California, charges were filed against Rob Rundo, Robert Bowman, Tyler Loub and Aaron Eeson. So all eight of them, four in each district. All eight of them were charged under the Federal Riot Act and conspiracy to riot. I think it was Robert who said in the original RAM episode. You know, like if at any point early on, like if at any point in those first few months of this happening there had been any kind of intervention, if anyone had been arrested in the act, maybe this could have been nipped in the butt and a lot of what happens later wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 9: Or even if they were like beaten up, like if like if a group of like Eddie fascists like beat them up, that would discidentivize them from going to future events to try to beat up other people, right, Like, violence is actually very good at doing this specific thing, and if you feel like you're gonna go somewhere to get b up, you probably don't want to go there. And even like divorced from the act at the state like that is that is a demotivating factor which has been effective against Proud Boys in Portland. Now, obviously some of these guys, especially the RAM crew, go there with the express interest of getting into fights, So that's something you should definitely consider. But yeah, like if as long as they have a bad time, it makes them not want to come to these things. But when they're able to just beat up anyone, they want to without any pushback. It's like, yeah, it becomes like a fun thing. It becomes like a large amount of incentive is gained for going to a rally, whether that's in Huntington Beach or halfway across the country.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean they were having a great time and there was no there was no movement to stop this, And it's hard to know why it took over a year for any charges to get brought. I think you speculated in that RAM episode a few years ago that it was public pressure. After that in depth reporting came out of mainstream press, but I was going back over the timeline, and that pro public apiece came out in October twenty seventeen. That was just two months after Unite the Right and a whole year before those charges were filed. It's not really possible to know why they waited so long unless some you know, young US attorney wants to level with us about it. But I don't foresee that, probably not just you know what's going on behind the scenes. But I do have one sort of interesting anecdote. A couple months ago, I was at an event here in Charlesville. It was a panel discussion, and one of the speakers was the US Attorney for the Western District of Virginia, Chris Cavanaugh. He was speaking to a group of people about the work that he does, and he was talking about the work that he did on some of these sort of extremism cases after Unite the Right. Back in twenty eighteen, he was the assistant US attorney here. He's been promoted since then. But he worked on the James Fields case, and he worked on the Ram case. It was filed here in Virginia, and he said something really interesting that I hadn't thought about before. So right after Unite the Right in August twenty seventeen, a bunch of FBI agents were assigned to you know, check out what happened here at this mass casualty event. Right, They had the resources to investigate and try to develop cases. You know, I love my documents. I spent a lot of time in the documents, so I've actually seen you know, they got some federal search warrants. It was actually an FBI agent who dug the round that Richard Preston fired at Corey Long out of the mulch In Market Street park. You know, they got search warrants for social media for a couple of guys who ended up prosecuted locally, Alex Ramos, Richard Preston, and New Borton. So it looks like they were trying to develop hate crime cases, right, like that federal warrant they got for Richard Preston's Twitter account said that they were developing I hate crime case and they never did so, like right after Unite the Right, they're getting these warrants, they're developing these cases. But back to that event that I was at with Chris Kavanaugh, the US attorney, he said, when the Las Vegas shooting happened in October of twenty seventeen, they lost their task force. They had this huge volume of agents working trying to develop Unite the Right cases. When that shooting happened two months later, they all got reassigned. He was left with like a skeleton crew, and they just didn't have the resources to develop these cases. Like, I don't know how the FBI is managing their resources internally so badly that they can only handle one mask actualty event at a time, or why the Washington Field office was so heavily impacted by a shooting in Nevada. But that is what he said, So take that as you will. And I think that theory is at least in part supported by the fact that the federal charges against James Fields didn't get brought until June of twenty eighteen. Right, he'd been charged locally for the car attack that killed Heather Higher, but the federal charges didn't pop up until June of twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: So I don't know.
Speaker 8: If maybe something shifted in terms of resources in their office that summer, I don't know, it's interesting to think about. But then, so back to October of twenty eighteen, right when these two different RAM cases get filed. Virginia's case was actually filed first. It was filed a few weeks before the case in California, So I don't know. I assumed they were in communication about that, but I don't have any special insight into what their federal prosecutor was doing. But it's also possible that it just takes the government a whole ass year to do anything, no matter what. Right In a recent filing in the Rondo case, the government's talking about how this investigation was developed, and it says, you're gonna shit a break Garrison. It says that the FBI investigation into RAM only started when a bartender in LA called the FBI a few weeks after Unite the Right because he overheard a patron Ben Day quote gleefully bragging about having caused havoc during the riots. Amazing, and he also quote bragged about hitting a guy and punching a girl in the face during protests in Berkeley. So that first comment was about Charlesville. He had just come home from Charlesville. He was talking about how he caused havoc. He's bragging about punching people in Berkeley, and the bartender's like, hmm, that's kind of that's suspicious, suspicious. This unnamed complainant also told the FBI that Daily and other RAM members had come to the bar often and sometimes used it for recruitment. They were recruiting the patrons at this bar, and based on what he overheard, he told the FBI that the group quote did not care about the issues regarding the statues in Charlottesville, but rather a quote enjoyed going to protests just to raise havoc, cause trouble and fight. So it wasn't until a bartender called the FBI to be like, Hey, this guy's talking about like doing a lot of gang violence. I don't know if you guys know about this, And according to that same court filing, the FBI took until January of twenty eighteen, so a few weeks after Unit the Right and maybe we're looking at September. It took them three or four more months until January of twenty eighteen to discover in the course of their investigation that RAM was based in southern California.
Speaker 4: Great work, great work, everybody, fantastic stuff. They're on it now, Garrison.
Speaker 8: And so at this point, the LA Field Office opens an investigation into members in the area. Now I kind of hope this isn't true, right, Like, I hope that this is not a correct summary of these events, because if it really took someone calling the FBI to say, like, hey, I heard a guy bragging about doing crime.
Speaker 4: That definitely no, that is definitely how this went down. Absolutely that makes so much sense.
Speaker 8: But then it took three months of investigating to figure out that the guys who recruit for their Nazi gang at a bar in LA probably live in LA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean that is This is kind of how the FBI investigates white supremacist groups, but they have they're too busy investigating teenagers in black hoodies. They can't. They can't bother to spare the manpower for this. There's Antifa out there.
Speaker 8: By the time they got this tip from the bartender, that Pro Publica article was already out. Why did it take them three months to find out that the guys whose names were already in the newspaper lived in California.
Speaker 4: I don't know I trust anyone who lives in Virginia, So.
Speaker 8: It took them a few months, Right, it took some time. I hope that's not true, but it is what the government has put on the record as the truth. So anyway, that's how this case starts. Right, So, these eight members of RAM are charged for in Virginia for in California with rioting and conspiracy to riot. Just for efficiency's sake, I'll just say that the cases in Virginia are fully resolved daily Miss Elliskillen, and White all pleaded guilty. There were some later unsuccessful appeals where when they after they saw what happened in the California cases, they're like, ooh, actually us too, can we But that didn't work, and their convictions stood and that's all over.
Speaker 4: Where is daily?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 4: Is he out again? There? He's out, He's out. Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 8: White didn't get any additional time after his plea because he was so cooperative, and the other three all got less than three years.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, So they're out.
Speaker 8: But these California cases where Roundo is charged, they have been a mess from day one, so the charge October twenty eighteen. In twenty nineteen, Judge Cormack Carney dismissed the charges in California, saying that the Riot Act was unconstitutionally overbroad and its application violated the defendant's First Amendment rights.
Speaker 9: So true, First, I'm a defender here. That's right, travel across state lines to riot endorsed by this judge.
Speaker 8: That's free speech. Garrison like love it or leave it, go back to Canada. So the prosecutor appealed that ruling because it was hawk garbage, and the Ninth Circuit agreed. It takes a long time for things to get appealed. It's like slower than watching grass grow. So the Ninth Circuit reversed that ruling in March of twenty twenty one, reinstating the indictments. Things move really so so you know, it took two years for them to reverse it and then another year to enter the order. So it wasn't until February of twenty twenty two that the case was formally reopened, in.
Speaker 9: Which case, around this time, Rondo's trying to like hide in Eastern Europe and eventually get sent back to the United States. Curiously around the same time that Andrew Tate. Does God imagine an Andrew tape Rob Rundo fight. Oh okay, I wouldn't pay money because I don't want to support them, but I would love to watch that.
Speaker 8: Actually send them both back to Romania and let them fight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, exactly. So, by the time that the.
Speaker 8: California Ram defendants are re indicted on the original charges, it's January of twenty twenty three, and only three of them get reindicted because Aaron Eeson has died.
Speaker 4: So sad. It doesn't say much more than that a tragic loss of life. I don't know.
Speaker 8: I don't want to, I guess I don't want to speculate because it doesn't say on the record, and I was unable to determine. I can't find anything other than the court record. Dismissing his charges because he was dead. I can't find any record of his death. It must have just been, you know, private. But you know, you were talking about that RAM episode a couple years ago about how you know they're all about clean living and fighting.
Speaker 4: They're all straight edge, except for all of the ones who do trucks.
Speaker 8: A lot of them have really serious drug problems. And I don't know for a fact what was going on with Aaron Eesan, but I know Robert Bowman had some trouble staying out on bond due to a very severe meth addiction. Yes, yes, so I don't know what happened to Aaron Eastan, but very very pure. You gotta keep the blood line pure. So they're reindicted January twenty twenty three. And as you guys talked about back in twenty twenty one, Rondo had been living in Serbia for most of this time. He is overseas making friends, doing fight club, doing Nazi stuff, hang out.
Speaker 9: Making bad T shirts, doing bad graffiti, mostly opening up T shirt factories. It's really what he spent a lot of times.
Speaker 8: Really about the merch You have to merchandise.
Speaker 9: That's the Hey, if you took away. One thing from Revolt against the Modern World. It's that Ovola loved merch. That's the biggest through line in that work. It's you got to sell those stickers, man, You have to.
Speaker 8: It's a sort of a pointy shaped operation.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 8: The guys on the bottom have to keep selling the stickers to the guys, and you have to make new bottoms. Right, there's there's no bottom. It is a pyramid scheme. Patriot Ron is a pyramid scheme.
Speaker 9: Well, and Patriot Front and Rondo had the same sticker manufacturer for quite a while. Their websites, well, their merch websites were identical.
Speaker 8: Look, I mean, how many webmasters can these Nazi groups have. It's gotta be one guy. Yeah, they do not have a graphic designer. So anyway, so he's in Serbia. In twenty twenty one, Serbia made a big show of saying like, oh, like, he's not welcome here. He's deported to Bosnia. He was still in Serbia. I think Bell and Cat has some great articles tracking exactly where in Belgrade Rondo was hanging out. But Serbia was like, no, he's not here, we can't He's not welcome here. He's in Bosnia. Bonni was like, he's not fucking here. He was in Serbia.
Speaker 9: He kept trying to lie to He tried to like like make people think he was somewhere else, but he just couldn't stop posting. And if you ever post anything outside or really even inside you you can be found. So like, he couldn't stop posting, and every single time he'd be like, haha, the CIA asked, it's a belly cat. Think I'm here when in fact I'm actually over there, and you're like, no, you're actually right here. It's really easy to find out where you are. You posted yourself standing next to this tree. There's only one type of this tree in this area. It's obvious you're right here, and it's like you can.
Speaker 8: Post all you like. If you have terminal posting disease, you can keep posting, which is like, don't post photographs of yourself in a place.
Speaker 9: He can't He can't stop, He can't stop, won't stop. My favorite old Rundo lore is that he had this YouTube series called Tea Time with Robert Rundo that I still think about about once a week, where he would give his Nazi followers advice on how to flee the country if they have a felony while sitting at like a European cafe filming on his iPhone. It's the most it's the funniest thing I've ever seen in the sane world.
Speaker 8: Evidence like that would make a judge say, mmm, I don't think we should let you back.
Speaker 4: Out, considering you made instructions.
Speaker 8: So finally, in March of twenty twenty three, he's freshly reindicted. In January twenty twenty three. March of twenty twenty three, the Romanian police are like, we fucking found him, got him. He's here in Romania. So he's arrested in Romania and it takes a few months to sort out all the paperwork and get him extra dated back to the US in August of twenty twenty three. You know what won't get you indicted on federal felony charges that result in you being extradited from a Romanian prison.
Speaker 9: Listening to these ads as long as we declare them as My FTC training today taught me how to do so. Yes, these are all paid advertisements. We're not allowed to call them promoted content to we have to call them ads.
Speaker 8: These are advertised I believe.
Speaker 9: That was part of my training today. So to make sure I don't go to prison enjoy these paid advertisements.
Speaker 8: Well, I hope you enjoyed those paid advertiste ads.
Speaker 6: This is weird.
Speaker 9: We're only airing them because they're paying us money. These are not our sincere belief. Way, we can't say that either. There's really no way to win. There's no way to win here anyway. I'm going to the war against the ftc so so true. So that more or less gets us up to the current controversy. So we get Rundo back August twenty twenty three, and then February twenty twenty four, about ten days ago, Judge Karney dismisses the case again. So back in twenty nineteen, Karney said, no, there's no crime here. This is just protected for some m activities. You can't use the Riot Act. That's unconstitutional, right, And he dismisses the case, and the Ninth Circus says, no, no, I don't think so that's not how we're reading this. You got to take the case back, so it gets remanded back to the same judge. It goes back to Judge Karney, but of course Rundo's missing now it takes a while to get him back. And so he finally gets his defendant back from his Nazi laer in Eastern Europe, he has to come up with a new reason why not street fighting gang shouldn't be charged with a crime.
Speaker 8: Okay, So like it's obvious, he just doesn't want to fucking try this case. So he has to come up with a new reason. And honestly, I think no shade to the federal public defender, right, Rendo has a public defender. It is their job to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. They're providing zealous defense to their clients. So they write up what I would say, in my personal opinion, was an absolute dogshit motion, and I think maybe they knew that too. I don't know, they're just doing their jobs. I think Judge Carney would have agreed with whatever they put on paper. He gets this motion and he's like, yes, for sure, dismissed again. So true, and this time it's selective prosecution that if the government wants to charge Ram with rioting, they would have had to charge Antifa too, because otherwise it's not fair.
Speaker 4: What should they do all the fucking time?
Speaker 8: It's just not fair?
Speaker 4: I mean this case does actually like showcase like selective prosecution, the fact that you wire super willing to drop charges against a white supremacists but will send and like quote unquote Antifa gay gay teenagers to prison for going to a BLM protest, Like yeah, that actually does show exactly how these cases are very selectively prosecuted.
Speaker 8: Right, Like these guys are playing on easy mode, and as soon as they draw the wrong card, it's like, well, this deck is stcked, this deck is stacked right, And so now I'm again we talked about this before a garrison. I'm not a lawyer, we know this, but I am an enthusiastic consumer of the law, and I did read a bunch of law review articles today. Okay, select prosecution sounds like the kind of thing that could work, right, Like, oh, it's not constitutional to selectively prosecute based on maybia a protected characteristic right, like if you're only prosecuting black people for a crime, Like, of course that's wrong. But here's the thing. It doesn't work. It never works. This is not an argument that is effective. I want to say, it never works. It is generally not an effective argument. Even when a layperson could look at and say, oh, yeah, that is kind of fucked up. It just doesn't work. You can't just walk into court and say, you know, well, your honor, I was speeding, but so was everybody else on the interstate. It's unconstitutional to give me a ticket unless everyone gets a ticket, right that.
Speaker 4: It's not how it works. They're picking on me.
Speaker 8: It's yeah, you can't just say, you know, other people did what I did, but I'm the only one standing here, so it's not fair.
Speaker 4: You have to there's an actual structure to this. Oh Jay got away with it. That means I should too, right.
Speaker 8: Right, We're not catching every murderer, so like I should get a freebee. Yeah, so you have to show not only that there was a particular other individual who engaged in the same conduct who was not charged, but also that quote a federal prosecutorial policy had a discriminatory effect, and it was motivated by a discriminatory purpose. So in the speeding ticket analogy, right, you'd have to say, you know, I was doing eighty in the school zone, but so were these three other particular women like John Jane, and we're all doing it too, and we all got pulled over. But the cop only gave me a ticket because he hates men or something, right Like.
Speaker 4: You would have to show that based miss andres cop right.
Speaker 8: So you'd have to show that other people did the exact same thing you did, and it was possible for them to have gotten in trouble too, Yeah, but they didn't because of a particular form of discrimination. So in order to make a valid claim of selective prosecution, Rondo's lawyers would have to say, Look, here's Joe Antifa, a real guy who exists, and here is a materially similar set of circumstances in which Joe Antifa ran an organized group that got into fights on purpose, provoked confrontations, chase people to their cars, beat women in the streets, and then use that footage to recruit people to his gang. Right Like, here's Joe Antifa bragging online about targeting members of a particular minority group for brutal gang assaults at political rallies. Here's his group actively planning and organizing to travel to different cities and other states across the country with the explicit and stated goal of provoking and attacking people. You can't just say, well, Antifa didn't get charged. You have to present an actual person who did what you did, not just some other guy who did something you don't like or somebody else who maybe did kind of a crime.
Speaker 4: You have to say, this is a.
Speaker 8: Specific person and he did what I did in a materially similar way to the same degree that I did it, and with just as much evidence to support that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And in the Ram case, there's so.
Speaker 8: Much evidence because they couldn't stop fucking posting, So they can't produce evidence that Antifa, to whatever degree that's a meaningful term here, engaged in similar behavior to what the evidence shows Ram did. Right, It's not just other people were fighting, And in this case that's kind of preposterous because the evidence does show that they specifically bragged, Like there's a text that was produced from Ben Daaley bragging about how they were first through the barricades at Berkeley. So you're acknowledging that you know there was this big riot and that you hearted it. Sure other people were fighting in the riot that you started on purpose, So no one else can be similarly situated to you, because even if they were fighting you started it, there has to be a real, actual other person who is similarly situated. That's an actual legal term that encompasses a sort of set of criteria. Is there a similar amount of evidence against this other person? Would it take a similar amount of state resources to investigate, arrest, and convict this person. We just don't have an organized militant street gang of Antifa that sold branded apparel and bragged about crimes online. There is no similarly situated, uncharged actor on the other side of this. That person doesn't exist. But it's even more than that. Even if we did have Joe Antifa, the gang leader who's bragging online about doing this kind of stuff, even if he existed, Even then, even then there is what's called prosecutorial discretion. There may be the reasons that we just aren't entitled to know about as to why a prosecutor made the decisions they did about who gets charged. For a selective prosecution argument to work, you have to show that this decision was made for a discriminatory purpose, and that's really hard to do because they're not going to tell you that right. You know, in an ideal world, selective prosecution would be an argument raised. You know about racial bias, because we do know that there is racial bias, and who is investigated arrested, charged, and convicted for crimes, like at every step along the way, there's a thumb on the scale against people of color. And even then, even when it is so obvious, even when you have, you know, a prosecutor who is a member of the fucking clan, even then these arguments don't tend to work.
Speaker 4: This should not have worked.
Speaker 8: But Judge Carney clearly just doesn't want this case prosecuted, right. I think it's it's very obvious that he just like thinks Rob Rundo is a nice boy who shouldn't have to go to jail for this is also, I think, notably about to retire. He hits he hits the minimum retirement age in May, and he is going to retire the day that he can. I think Megan Cuniff, who has a great blog, Legal Affairs, she's been covering this case. She noted in a tweet a few weeks ago that she knows that he intends to retire because he in rescheduling some hearings, said that that was the only day he could go to the retirement benefits class that he needs to go to to make sure he can retire the day he's eligible in May, so he just doesn't he just doesn't want to deal with this. Right that this was scheduled to go to trial in March and he's retiring in May. He just doesn't want to do it.
Speaker 9: What's the even the point anymore? What's even what? I just it's like, why are they even trying here? Like it just just just like kick the can down to someone else if you don't want to like deal with this. I don't know, it's turning this whole like I don't know. I've read other things from this judge how he's like he's like very much into like this big like Antifa conspiracy theory, and.
Speaker 8: He's a little bit racist, like there was an issue he's oh, I'm shocked. He was chief Judge of the Circuit briefly, but he had to step down. So he's still a judge in the Central District of California, but he's not the chief judge anymore because he made a racist comment to the Clerk of court. So he's I mean, I think there's some stuff going on with Judge Carney. So I think he knows when he made this ruling that like the Ninth Circuit's going to send it back. But that's not gonna be his problem anymore because he's out of here in May. So you heard this like absolute dog shit argument, and he was like, so true, King, this is not fair. You are free to go go ahead, and he let him out same day, Like he heard this argument. He was like, absolutely, that's the one, go on home, and he let him out that day. There was attorney made a motion for an emergency stay, saying like, okay, well, let's just let's not get ahead of ourselves. Why don't we just hang on to him till we can talk to the Ninth Circuit about this, because I don't know, and that's it's pretty normal, that would be normal for the judge to say, let's give it a day. I mean, I want him release, but we'll give it a day. We'll let you get your paperwork in order. No, he just let him out, just let him out right that day, and considering his history of fleeing the country, not the call I would have made.
Speaker 4: It is quite the choice.
Speaker 8: So the very next day, the Ninth Circuit was like, hold on, let's get him back in custody while we think about this. And it makes no sense for CARNEI to deny the emergency state, that would be really normal to stay the decision until we have a chance to sort of think this through. Right, even if he truly believed with his whole heart that there's no way that this would ever get kicked back by the Ninth Circuit, that the case would stay dismissed and Rundo would be free to go, it would not be unusual to say, you know, well, this has been pretty contentious. The defendant has fled the country multiple times, so let's just hang on to him for twenty four forty eight hours while we go through the motions of getting that emergency hearing. But that's not what happened, because Robert Roundo is the definition of a flight risk. Yes he is.
Speaker 4: Like he's the platonic ideal form of a flight risk.
Speaker 8: I've sat through a lot of bond hearings and I know we are definitely not all using the same dictionary here when it comes to what is a flight risk. But you really can't find a guy who has done more to demonstrate than he absolutely can and will flee the country to avoid going back to court. He does not want to go to court. So back in twenty eighteen, when those two prosecutions were initially filed, right, the Virginia case was filed first, So when Ben Day was arrested, the charges hadn't actually been filed yet against rob Rundo. But I guess when they came to get Ben on October second, so eighteen days before the charges were filed against rob Rundo himself, they came to get Ben in La and he's like, m time to get out of dodge, right, So I think that was the moment he was like I gotta go. You know, he knew they might be coming for him next. So first he tries going to Ukraine, which is a great place for a militant right wing extremists to go hang out with friends, right, And unfortunately for him, his flight had a layover in London. I don't know if it like didn't occur to him that maybe when they look at your passport, like maybe maybe the US government like anticipated that you would do this. But so he throw looks at us at his passport, it was like mm, the US government says, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars, do not proceed to Nazi asylum, and they turn him back. Now, mind you, he's not arrested yet, right, they just won't let him go to Ukraine.
Speaker 4: Interesting, so he he doesn't. He doesn't get to London though.
Speaker 8: I think he gets to London and they were like, no, you can't, you can't go. I don't know how he got that far.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that is that is intriguing. So back in California he walked to Mexico. Yeah, which is which is part of his tea tie with Robert Rundo advice.
Speaker 8: Right, So like he literally went on foot over the US Mexico border to avoid passport control and then he travel over land through Mexico into l Salvador, YEP, where he presumably intended to try getting on a plane. Again.
Speaker 9: You need you need to get far enough south so that when you fly you don't cross over American airspace. Other people in ram have tried this and have not gone far south enough, and their plane crosses over like the tip of US airsplace around Florida, and then they get flagged so that when they land they get they get like arrested or turned back.
Speaker 8: See that's so tricky, Like I pay funny, I'm got a plane ticket recently for vacation. I'm not fleeing the country or anything.
Speaker 4: Molly's flying everyone.
Speaker 8: I actually don't even have a passport, but when you buy a plane ticket, they do not provide for you a sort of schematic of the flight path. So I don't know how they're figuring this out. I guess they're not.
Speaker 9: If it's not a Rondo. I think typically tries to get far enough south that he just gets a direct flight to somewhere.
Speaker 4: In like the Middle East or eastern Europe.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know if it would have worked, because when he got to l Salvador, the plane that he got on was not headed to Ukraine. It was headed back to lax in the company of some FBI agents hope. So they brought him back and he was formally arrested in the La airport when they brought him back. Very funny because in the weeks that he had spent trying to get away, the indictment against him had come back and he was also being charged. So after Judge Carney dropped the charges the first time back in twenty nineteen, Rondo got his passport back and immediately left the country again, traveling to Europe visiting other fascist fight clubs, and so you know, in this time period, the US Attorney is appealing the dismissal of the charges, like they they want to bring this case. They're, you know, they're waiting for the Ninth Circuit to hear them, but they're watching him cavorting around Eastern Europe and they're like they're filing motions saying, like, we really got to get him back, Like he's at an Nazi rally in Hungary.
Speaker 4: He's got a podcast.
Speaker 8: He's got a podcast where he's telling people how to evade capture by getting foreign passports, Like, we got to get him back.
Speaker 4: And so when the charges were.
Speaker 8: Finally reinstated by the Ninth Circuit in twenty twenty one, he'd been formally expelled from Serbia, where he'd been living, and he was eventually arrested in and extradited from Romania. And then when Judge Corney dismissed the charges again two weeks ago, and the Ninth Circuit was like, we gotta get him back. Do you know where they found him? The Mexican border? Oh curious, who could have predicted?
Speaker 9: Huh?
Speaker 8: So, like he really loves leading the country. Time is a flat circle, right, So Karnie lets him out he tries to leave the country again. Immediately the Ninth Circuit says, hold on, let's bring him back. And because this system works in just the most like insane imaginable ways, Like I guess when they wrote how this was gonna work, they just assumed everyone would act in good faith and they didn't put anything in for when that's not what happens.
Speaker 9: You know, I'm pretty sure that's in the Constitution. You have to assume good faith intentions. I believe the sixty ninth Amendment. You have to assume good faith.
Speaker 8: Everyone's going to be normal about this. We don't need to build in any contingencies here. So every time the Ninth Circuit is like, ooh, Judge Carney, that's nuts, they just have to send it back to him. They it doesn't get sent to a different judge. It's just they just keep sending it back to the guy who is bound and determined to ruin this right. So it gets sent back to Judge Carney. This case is still in front of Judge Carney. So the Ninth Circuit they put him back in and Judge Corney's like, I'm gonna le him back out, and the Ninth Circuit's like, no, you really really can't do that. You really can't do that. And he's being kind of a pissy little baby about this, right, Like the Ninth Circuit issues an order saying, like, no one can let him out but us. If he gets let out, it will because we said so no one can let him out. You can't do it. The Ninth Circuit said, so we're up here on top.
Speaker 9: This is fash as, this is tyranny, is fascis of, but the but the bad kind, the kind I don't like Robert Rundo.
Speaker 8: So Carney's on the bench and he's like, well I really want to though, and so he issues an order saying like he's released, but I'm going to stay my own order. I mean, like you know, I'm gonna enter this order saying he's released, but like it won't go into effect because technically I'm not allowed.
Speaker 9: That's such a such a door key of like pissed baby tantramoved from a judge.
Speaker 8: Like you're being a real baby, Cormac. And he says, quote, I would like to be in a position to release him right now and let him walk out the door. Well you can't, you can't. So it gets like stupid messy here, right, So the ninth Circuit put him back in and it comes back to Carney, and Carney's like, well, this arrest wasn't even legal. I should let him out because this you can't even you couldn't put him back in.
Speaker 4: You can't arrest someone without their being cause for a crime.
Speaker 8: Well, it is a little bit messy here, right. So Carney argues that Roundo's rearrest wasn't legal because he dismissed the case. So technically, when Rundo was arrested again, there was no charge against him. There is currently because the indictment was dismissed. You know, the prosecutor's appealing that that dismissal. Maybe it'll get reinstated like it did last time. But like right now, he is not charged with the crimes, which is which is.
Speaker 4: Ridiculous because there's so many other things you could charge him with, right just like find a different crime. Like there's like between all.
Speaker 9: Of his between all of his passport stuff, between all of his crossing the border, like there's there's so much other there's so many other things that you could you could decide to charge him with.
Speaker 8: Surely some FBI agent has been sort of keeping tabs on his activities and they could come up with something, but as it stands, when he was re arrested, there was no charge, right, Yeah, So the Ninth Circuit does have the authority to stay the release order. So Carney issued a release order saying let him out of jail, right, And so the prosecutor was like, we need an emergency hearing in front of the Ninth Circuit on that release order. So Carney issues the release order. The prosecutor goes to the Ninth Circuit and say, we need you to push the pause button on the implementation of this order. That's really normal. That should have been what happened. But because he was released immediately, you know, before they had a chance to get heard by the Ninth Circuit, Carney's argument, which I may maybe true here, right, is that by the time the Ninth Circuit heard the motion to stay the release order, it was moot. They can't hear argument on a motion that doesn't mean anything. You can't stay an order that's already been implemented. So once the release order was carried out and Rondo was no longer physically in custody, there was no order to stay so the Ninth Circuit had nothing to rule on, so they they rearrested him, saying like, we're staying the release order, but the order of operations there is kind of key. At the next hearing, Carney said, I must tell you from the little things I've read, I'm quite concerned. I feel mister Rundo is being unconstitutionally detained, and it's messy, and I don't know what the right answer is here, right, Like, It's not unusual for someone to stay in custody pending appeal, especially if they have repeatedly attempted and succeeded at fleeing the country. And Carney's refusal to stay the release order kind of makes you wonder if he didn't create this procedural nightmare intentionally.
Speaker 9: Sure, he kind of created this legal dilemma that now puts Rundo's incarceration in actually like a point of question.
Speaker 8: Right Like, he had to know that when the Ninth Circuit did hear this motion, they would probably reverse him. He had to know that, and he absolutely knew Rondo would flee the country before that could happen. And he's not wrong that it looks a little a little questionable to issue it arrest warrant when there is no live charge or the end result that Rundo is in custody pending some kind of further ruling from the Ninth Circuit. That's not weird, that's really normal. But everything that happened in between is a mess. I don't know what the answer to that is. I mean, I mean, as nuts as Carney is behaving like, he is probably right that you can't make a ruling on a moot motion and you can't arrest someone who's not charged with a crime, like those things are true. But I don't know what the answer is here, and I think it's his fault.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So at this point, right the government is appealing Carney's dismissal of the charges, just like they did back in twenty nineteen. Remember that it took almost two years from the original dismissal to the Ninth Circuit ruling reversing and remanding the case in twenty twenty one, so this could take a while. At this point, what the government is asking for is a stay of the release order to keep him in custody while they work through this appeals process, because they are appealing the dismissal of the indictment. I don't expect a lot of movement on that this week. I think the docket shows that the appellance brief is due on the twelfth today as we're recording this as the fourth, so they'll file that brief. They may file more sort of emergency petitions for his release. I'm not sure the Ninth Circuit will do that, but is anybody's guess at this point, because it's kind of.
Speaker 4: A big mess.
Speaker 8: The only thing that is clear is that only the Ninth Circuit can let Rob Rundo out.
Speaker 4: Well what a what a?
Speaker 9: What an enticing Rundo down have the legal events of this case. Don't want to be in that position.
Speaker 8: You know, Garrison, I'm not sure that you'll ever be in this position. I I hope not, at least not in this exact one, unless you're running a secret Nazi gang that I do not know about, in which case, disavow, disavow.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's good, that's good. Yeah, sure, that's probably the right move. But so it'll take some time. I don't know. Yeah, I don't know what else there is to say.
Speaker 8: This is like sort of inciting a lot of active club activity. You were saying earlier that the you know ram doesn't exist anymore. It's morphed into these active clubs. There's these cells all over the country and they are fired up about this. So I think this has the potential to incite more political violence, or at the very.
Speaker 9: Least incite more T shirt sales, which would be just as horrified to see one of those things out in the wild already marketing free Rundo merch.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I bet. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I guess even Nazis have constitutional rights.
Speaker 4: I guess they do.
Speaker 9: Although it does feel again slightly uh insidious at the selective non enforcement of some of these things where there's many, many people who are being held, especially like in Atlanta, it's been many people being helped out bail because they've been deemed a flight risk for for a long long time for crimes.
Speaker 8: Not because they hold like a Serbian passport.
Speaker 4: No, no, just because they attended a music festival. Right.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's hard to get like super fired up about rob Rundo's constitutional rights in terms of this this sort of like procedural quagmire when it's like people are actively and intentionally violating everyone else's constitutional rights constantly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, like the only thing I'm left to think of is how this whole system of law does not seem to work very much, and especially we often point out how a whole bunch of laws get put in place that are like ostensibly framed to like combat white supremacist terrorism or whatever, and in actuality really only get used against people fighting for like the rights of black people, people fighting for getting trains people not to be murdered. Like that's that's really what all these laws get targeted against, and they face so so much more harsh punishment because we have a judge who's treating Rob Rundo like a little a little baby, who's this innocent little creature. Meanwhile, people I can get constantly locked up for completely bullshit charges in other parts of the country for engaging it like actually like pretty pretty valid acts of protest, not even related to any like alleged violence. Like there's it's it's it's quite it's quite frustrating to to to look at. Yes, there is actually a decent case of selective enforcement.
Speaker 8: Here, and it's the other way around.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it is not in fact that they're letting Antifa run wild and burn down cities. In fact, these these these Nazis get treated like little little innocent First Amendment defenders as they purposely like talk about and brag about their claims of traveling across the country to assault people and start riots.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Well, that's that's not great.
Speaker 8: Things are not good.
Speaker 4: I hope only the worst.
Speaker 9: For Rundo, regardless of whatever legal thing happens, just like in general, like I like, I I wish him bad, just like in life, you know, like I hope you like trips and falls down the stairs, you know, just like in general, like stub is toe.
Speaker 4: Really bad.
Speaker 8: This situation, Like, there are a million outcomes here that are the dumbest possible ending to this story. So I'm not holding my breath for you know, some brilliant prosecutor to save the day here. But I do hope that that Rob Rundo continues to have a bad day regardless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, thank you for.
Speaker 4: This lovely piece of legal research, Molly.
Speaker 8: Now I have to close eighty seven tabs.
Speaker 9: That is always the joy of wrapping up one of these episodes. It's closing the ridiculous amount of tabs that are open, because at at any moment in my research process, if any of my friends looks at my computer.
Speaker 4: They are horrified by the stress that I'm putting my own ram through different ram the other than the Yeah it is computer computer ram.
Speaker 8: Not also under considerable strain at this time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 9: Well all right, feel like that's that's as bad enough a joke to end it on as anything else where. Can people find you online?
Speaker 8: Mall Oh gosh, yeah, I am online at Socialist dog Mom on Twitter, on my newsletter on ghost the Devil's Advocates, and I don't know my dogs have an Instagram that I haven't updated lately. It's auto m buck. That's it for me, How about you, Garrison.
Speaker 9: Oh, you can find me documenting my process of slowly turning my entire apartment into the Black Lodge on Twitter at Hungry Bowtie. All right, Wow, you can actually see a little bit of it behind me. It's kind of dark, but you can see a glimmer of red curtains. Yes, spooky back there, It is quite spooky back there. Wait until I turn wait until I turn on the strobe light.
Speaker 8: All right, thank you for joining me today, Garrison.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, Molly.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 2: We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 4: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 10: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at Coolzonmedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.