Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show with my brother b D.
Speaker 1: What's hidening? What's uping, bro?
Speaker 2: What's going on? I feel I feel great, brother, I feel great. I'll be honest with y'all this next guest we have. I don't know how we pulled this off, wow, but in him being one of the best human beings to work in sports, wow, the absolute best.
Speaker 1: He has had an impact.
Speaker 2: On my career in media, He's had an impact on BD's career in media, and quite honestly, your favorite sports stars and when I sports media stars he's had an impact on and even if they haven't worked with him directly, he's had an impact on because he's shaped he's helped shape media being a part of the game the way it is in the NBA.
Speaker 1: And we are honored to have this next guest.
Speaker 2: He is a six time Sports Emmy Award winner, host, one Sports Emmy winner inside the NBA, a National Sports Caster of the Year, twenty twenty three Sports Broadcasting Hall of Fame inductee, and quite honestly, someone that I think is going to actually end up in the Nasmith Hall of Fame because of the impact that he's had on the game, and I am honored.
Speaker 3: I gotta just sprinkle some ism on top of that. You be talking about the Maestro and media, the host with the most the Nidos stat for brands, the orchestrator of entertainment where sports media entertainment connects. He is the godfather of knowing how to get it done, run the show, the man, the legend, Ernie er.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: How can I possibly live bit? I can possibly live up to that introduction?
Speaker 1: Fellaws.
Speaker 4: It is so good to be with you all today. Thanks for thanks for asking.
Speaker 2: Absolutely as a honor. We appreciate you coming on the show. This has been one that I've been looking forward to for the longest. And I know as soon as Charles, our producer, mentioned your name, but he.
Speaker 1: Was like, what Ernie on the show? Let me go. We are excited by the way, Ernie. I recently saw a video for the Final Chamber the Wu Tang Forever Tour. The trailer, How did Wu Tang recruit you and get you narrating that video? That is amazing and that was.
Speaker 4: Totally out of the blue ray It was Uh, my my agent Bobby Height with the career sports and Entertainment c s E in Atlanta. He's he's the guy who comes to me with all requests, speaking engagements, et cetera, et cetera. So I get this email about ten days ago and he lays this out. He said, Huts and Klam would like you to voice the this announcement of their of their tour. And I'm like, this is this really coming to me? And I'm looking at this script and I was saying, listee, can I picture myself saying old dirty bastard? And I'm like, sure, if this is what they want, I'll be happy to do it.
Speaker 1: And so it just happened. I went into the studio when we.
Speaker 4: Were we were there to work on a Thursday night and I said, I just need to record something here and knocked it out, sent it on and then about three days later on my timeline, here it comes.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was pretty it was pretty amazing, you know, But I guess, you know, where is the calls and asks? Then I'm gonna who am I to say?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: So h So there you go. That's kind of how that all came about.
Speaker 2: Doing those those different things like that that you've had the opportunity to do, like what are some of the cooler ones, like you know this Wu Tang, but what are some of the cooler things that you've come across desk? Not necessarily sports, but it's kind of sports adjacent because and sports has kind of led you to these platforms and doing these different things.
Speaker 1: What's some of the need was that you've done well? I mean one of the.
Speaker 4: Things is, you know, I've been doing the NBA two K for years and years with Kenny and Shack, which which after a while then you you come to under stand. But that's how like a lot of the younger viewers, that's how they know you. You know, It's not it's not that they look at you and say, oh yeah, it's they hear my voice. And so like I can be in the in the checkout line at the grocery store and say something back to the cashier and a kid behind me says, you're the two K guy.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I said, yeah, I'm one.
Speaker 4: Of the two K guys. That's so it's been fun to do that and to see how that all works. It's kind of a drain on your brain by the end of the day, you know, because you've just been sitting there for hours and just a lot of times saying the same thing in different ways and and then when they put you in the MOCAP suit and it's you know, the whole bit. So that's been a lot of fun to do because of my longevity in this business. I mean I've been a turner for thirty five years. I actually the thing that I enjoy the most is telling my family's story. I mean that's I speak to corporations all the time about the things outside of basketball, the things in my life that matter, the things that I've learned by going through adversity, et cetera. And I really enjoyed that so much, just being able to share to prove the folks, look, yeah, NBA on TNT, that's what I do, but it's not who I am. And so I relish the opportunities to be able to talk to folks about getting through cancer, adoption, special needs kids, you name it. And so I kind of weave a story that way with a series of photographs. And I love those mornings, those those days where I can where I can share that.
Speaker 1: So those are the things.
Speaker 4: Aside from doing the NBA on T N T, those are the things to me that uh, you know, those are the things that matter.
Speaker 3: Those are real life that resonates with two and and and definitely resonates Uh, you know with me and Jay basketball in his life, but our life is bigger.
Speaker 1: Than basketball, right and who we are?
Speaker 3: Uh, this platform always gives us a great opportunity, you know to do such and you guys have done a great job.
Speaker 4: Brings a response. It's like if you if you pass that up, then you're then you're not doing your job because because just by virtue of what t n T and the NBA on t n T has meant in my career, that visibility tells the CEO somewhere, can we get that guy to talk to our group. You know, It's like and if you if you passed that up, then you are you're missing a boat. Mm hm that was percent man.
Speaker 3: It's sharing, it's sharing the platform, right, it's sharing the platform being responsible. I mean just in your journey in TNT, I would say as a viewer watching, you would think like, oh, you know, it's free flowing, like they can do whatever they want. Just one I want to know your.
Speaker 4: Baseball guy, right, how did you get does not want from birth?
Speaker 1: That's for sure?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you're but to continue, Yeah, I'm okay, so I grew up a baseball guy. But but your point is like when did the transition, Like what made you like?
Speaker 1: What was that jump?
Speaker 4: Okay, So here's the deal. So my dad plays for the Milwaukee Braves back in the fifties. He's on those he's on those teams with Henry Aaron and Eddie Matthews and Warren Spawn and Luber Debt. He's a relief picture and he's as he as he likes to put it, or liked to put it, and was.
Speaker 1: You know, I was.
Speaker 4: I was middle relief, not good enough to start, not good enough to fit, and he's I was a middle reliever before they were cool.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 4: You know, he got a World Series winging with Milwaukee when they beat the Yankees at fifty seven, and and you know, I was only you know, I was born at fifty six, so I don't remember. I've just seen videos of him pitching and that kind of thing. But but his career then became. He became a broadcaster and was doing play by play for the Braves for thirty years when they moved to Atlanta. So that was in my blood. So that's what I wanted to be. I want to be a big league ballplayer like my dad, and and that's all I played. You know, I played that growing up. I played a little bit of hoop, nothing above JV. I was on the bomb squad up thirty down, thirty.
Speaker 1: I was in and if you passed it to me, you are getting it back. I was just a shacket.
Speaker 4: And at that point too, you know, I was the guy who led the layup line because I was the smallest guy on the team. So I'm like, I'm six to two now. I mean, and people still because I stand next to Shack, they think I'm like five to two. But but that was that was my basketball career. I was a baseball guy.
Speaker 1: And I actually.
Speaker 4: Walked on at the University of Georgia. So I walked on as a freshman and was told to walk off as a sophomore one year, one year wearing the red and black man. But you know what, that freshman year unforgettable. And look, I'm not going to get into a conversation like, oh, just hey, there's just three players you're talking. No, look, you got have gone to the highest level. You know what all this is about. For folks who have never been part of that. I consider myself so blessed to have that one year of being a college ballplayer in the SEC and hanging out with teammates, guys who were older than I was, more mature than I was, who taught me a bunch who kind of took me under their wing and were kind of like, we got this freshman who doesn't know anything. Let's kind of, you know, look after him and take care of him. And I wasn't a great player. I was a backup first baseman, you know, on that one year I went to for eighteen.
Speaker 1: That's not funny.
Speaker 3: So I.
Speaker 4: With one career RBI f one career RBI which came at the University of Tennessee on a Thursday afternoon in April. Temperature was about sixty seven degrees. Remember, took a fast ball the other way, knocked in a RUNO looked like it was going to be the game winning run in a game that would give us the division in the SEC, give us the SEC East. And so I go back to take my position out there first, and I'm saying, man, I'm going to be all over the red and black the student newspaper for knocking in the run that gave us the division title. And this is this was a team Tennessee had Rick Honey cut the long time pitching comes Conridge Holloway, who was a great quarterback for Tennessee and had like a nine million game hitting streak. So this is a good Tennessee team. But I could just see it. I could just see the headline in the red and black. And then our shortstop made an air on it but should have been a game ending double play ball, and a couple hitters later, a guy hit a grand Slam and beat us.
Speaker 1: So there it went. So my my heroic one career went for nothing.
Speaker 4: And but again the experience everything that baseball, everything that sports teaches you about being a good teammate, you learn all that stuff in one year there. I will never forget it. But so so that's the long story on baseball. And then you know, I'm at Georgia and I got great journalism school, my dad being a broadcaster. I'd never really thought about doing it, and I just decided to give it a try one day. And then I discovered that man, they're letting you into the games for free. You're getting to hang out and get to go to any game you want to go to And so I started working at the campus radio station, then worked at a rock station in the in Athens, and then finally somebody hired me for TV a year after I graduated, and I was doing the news and making Georgia, which was which was an experience. And and but every step along the way, I don't care what profession you're in, every step along the way provides you with such a learning ground. And there were things that happened in making Georgia. Then I'll never forget that still play into what I do now.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 4: It just goes that way. It's okay, so the baseball career is over, what are you going to do? And and so it was making Georgia to Spartanburg, South Carolina to Atlanta, you know, as a news reporter. And the thing that's crazy, And that's what I tell kids all the time in journalism schools. Things will happen that you don't see coming that will change the entire trajectory of your career. And for me, that was that you know, I'm in Atlanta, I'm your general assignment news reporter. I'm the guys like on the night beat Ernie Johnson Channel two, Action News and we get a new news director one day whose first day on the job, I'm just filling in for a sports guy who's on vacation. I'm doing a live I've shot at Atlanta Stadium before a Braves game. And I come into work the next day and his secretary comes in and says, Raven would like to see you. Raven Matthew is the new news director. And I'm thinking Jesus guy's cleaning house. He and wasting any time. New boss to come in and say, okay, you know, get a box and get your stuff. He's you ever thought about doing sports? And I love sports, you know, And he said, I'm going to make you the new weekend sports aiker. And that changed everything, changed everything about my life and about my career. And so I do that for seven years weekends for seven years at ws BE in Atlanta, and then here comes Turner comes knocking in nineteen eighty nine. Hey wow, we'd love to.
Speaker 1: Have you over here.
Speaker 4: And you know, I think geographically that helped, because you know, we're in Atlanta. Those guys are all watching the Atlanta stations all the time and they're like, hey, we got a guy right here in town. Who's I think we could use Thirty five years later you're talking to y'all amazing. Yeah, yeah, you never know. You just never know what what the next day is.
Speaker 1: Going to bring. That's incredible. That's incredible story to watch your career.
Speaker 2: You've been on TV since I can remember, and you're saying you took the turn the job in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: I think I've told you this before. I was born in ninety, so actually that.
Speaker 4: I'm constantly looking for reminders about the old there's a very well played one right there. I let you know, Ernie, we all know you Sharper's attack, but.
Speaker 2: So you know we had My birthday was yesterday and a friend of mine bought a great bottle of wine to dinner last night, and he's like, well, it's eighty nine, though it's not ninety. He's born in eighty nine, so he got a bunch of eighty nine ones. He's like, it's eighty nine, it's not ninety, but eighty nine is a better year.
Speaker 1: Anyway. I was like, it's cool, Danny, I was eighty nine. It's all right. It's probably a really good ball right there. As he knows all about this one I'm feeling it right now.
Speaker 3: From that, let's get into some NBA news. A major topic today facing the NBA. Lebron and Channing Fry discussed why players are reluctant to take the face of the league role. After thirty five years of covering the NBA on TNT, what is your perspective of why players will resist being the face of the league.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, we we're talking this on the air the other night too about can can somebody dictate who the face of the of the league is? Or is that something you grab, you want and you seize it. Sometimes you can't help but be the face of the league. Sometimes that's all talent driven, but I think it does go hand in hand with reputation, how you carry yourself. And these days, obviously nothing goes unchecked from one day to the next, so you might you might have the talent to be the face of the league or the guy that everybody thinks of when they think, oh NBA, Oh I think Lebron James, or NBA I think Michael you know, back then, that kind of thing. But I think there is some validity to that that they would say, look, I don't want that pressure. I don't want every every step I take to be scrutinized, and so yeah, there's something to that. But I also I also think that for some maybe.
Speaker 1: I want that. I want to be that guy. I want you know, I want to carry the flag for the league. Uh.
Speaker 4: And with that comes the responsibility to do right. Okay, we'll be in the headlines for the wrong things. That all goes That all goes with it, because you you annoint somebody as the face of the NBA, then what happens when they slip up and do X or y? Yeah, you know the face anymore? Again, It's one of those nebulous things. And I and I think we're always in such a hurry these days to quantify everything that everything needs to be the best. This as he's got to be the goat, she's got to be the goat. How can he be the goat if she's a goat? You know, camp can we just not appreciate.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, a better?
Speaker 2: Um?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there's just this rush.
Speaker 4: And I think part of that is is isn't the media thing and whether it's sports talk or whether it's pods or whether whatever it is. But if I'm a sports talk shore you got four hours to fill. Well, we're going to spend an hour talking about who's the somebody just won a game last night with a three pointer at the buzzer. Is he the greatest fluck shooter of all time?
Speaker 1: Well? How can he be? And we want to argue for come on, just appreciate the moment, appreciate if we can do that.
Speaker 4: But apparently that's that's not the way things are done anymore.
Speaker 1: That is indeed true. I think you're spot on with everything you said.
Speaker 2: Do you see someone that you say, I think that's who it's going to be, because there's been this interesting landscape Boek like, for I just feel like for the last seven years, everyone has been trying to move.
Speaker 1: On from Brown, and you know, for the last.
Speaker 2: Four years, everybody's been trying to move on from Steph, thinking like, oh we got it now, like this young guy's coming, that young guy's coming, and it's like every year it's reverting right back.
Speaker 1: To those those guys Branhan, Steph and everything they're doing.
Speaker 2: When you look around the landscape, is there someone that you see that it's like, no, I think it's going to be that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: I mean, you look at the young guys in the league. You look at the teams that are doing well. You look at the opportunity for what do you call it pr or high more visibility. Then you say, well, hey, how about Luca in LA for years? Yeah, he becomes the face of the NBA. Hey, here's Shake Gildes Alexander leading the league in score with a team that has the best record. Could he be the guy? Webamo, this freak be the guy? You know that We've never seen anybody that size do the things he does. Could he be that guy? So there are a bunch of candidates out there. But the thing to remember is this isn't an election, all right, This is not this is not like, okay, everybody have you know I've been a voter for years on these on the regular season awards. Not like you're going to add a category that says face of the league, give us you know, this is who is going to buy their play and by their character and by their leaders, by their persauna and there, yeah, exactly be the Who's that guy? And it's not like you apply for it. It's just like, well he's the face, you know what, We can see it and so so that's I think that's the way. That's the way it is. But please, let's not. Let's not put this up for a vote. Now, you know that's not the way that.
Speaker 1: Who's scoring big in the NBA this season?
Speaker 5: You are all the new ways to get in on the action at DraftKings sports Book and official sports betting partner of the NBA Slams Diishing the Ball, cleaning the glass, get behind your favorite players, prop bets you can make on DraftKings. It's fun the home of NBA player props. If you're ready to place your first bet, make it really simple. Pick how many points your favorite players going to score. Go to DraftKings sports Book. They have an app, download it make your pick. If you're a first timer, here's something special new DraftKings customers. All you have to do is bet five bucks, get one hundred and fifty in bonus bets instantly. So take it to the rack with DraftKings sports Book, Every point Counts. Download their app takes ninety seconds. Use the code column cli n to get one hundred and fifty bones in bonus bets betting just five only on DraftKings.
Speaker 6: The Crown is yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight ope and Y, or text ope and Y four six seven three six nine In Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. He played responsibly on behalf of Boothill CASEEENO when resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario. New customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Wins four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dkang dot co slash audio.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Last night, Bron reached fifty thousand points regular season and postseason. You obviously saw Bron come into the league from high school and obviously become one of the greatest players, if not the greatest player we've ever seen play this game. Is there some moment with Bron that stands out? We do more than others and watching his man?
Speaker 4: What is it twenty two years now, twenty one, twenty two years, forty years old, that night in Detroit or the night at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Because as a playoff night, and we got the show on the road us to what twenty five street and twenty nine out of thirty lay down the stretch And the thing that you know, and here's the great thing about the job that I have is being able to sit around and Watchroo with the guys. I watch, you know, you know, Kenny and Shack and Chuck and you know, Magic's been in there for a time before that. But when you watch a performance like that and then you glance over at these dudes and they're all like, then, you know you've seem something special.
Speaker 1: And so I think I think that was the night.
Speaker 4: That I'll never forget. I mean, that's it's amazing. And again, those are one of those nights that defied description. And on another front, obviously the fact that Space Jam and New Legacy in.
Speaker 1: That in that film, uh.
Speaker 4: Obvious and so and so you know, I'm still looking and still I'm still guys disappointed that the Best Supporting Actor nomination for real did not. Yeah, I'm figuring it's probably like when they had the NBA's fifty Greatest and I was working with Reggie Theis at the time, and Reggie said I was number fifty one, So I feel like that year at the Oscars there was probably seven nominees for Best Supporting I was eight.
Speaker 1: That excellent job. You know, that excellent job. We need Moore you on the big screen.
Speaker 2: You know. You know what the.
Speaker 4: Greatest thrill about being about doing that was we went to a theater to see it and took the grandkids and didn't really tell them what was going on, and then all of a sudden, I pop up and they're like poppy. So that was that was worth every second.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Last calendar year, a little before the season started, we obviously learned the fate of TNT Sports and the landscape of what the lands, the media landscape will be.
Speaker 1: In the NBA.
Speaker 2: Absolutely thrilled that inside the NBA won't won't be going away, as TNT Sports will continue to produce it independently. The new addition will be that ESPN will feature the show at high profile NBA events next season, such as the NBA Finals, which is also a different thing for you guys. How excited are you to finally get a chance to cover the NBA Finals next season after all of these years.
Speaker 4: That's that's going to be a very cool part of this thing. Because there's always a feeling at the end of our playoff run. And I've been fortunate, you know, I'm always part of that trophy presentation with you know, to the Eastern Western Conference champions and it's and then you and then all of a sudden you go back and do the postgame show and then it's over, and we've done all the gone fishing pictures and it's done. I mean it's it's Jeff flat done, and it's and and then you go back and you watch the finals and and you're like, wow, it would be great to be there for that. So to to to be part of that next year, uh, is really cool. You know, we look forward to that very much. But the but the biggest thing about this won't change. Look, it's not easy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: This NBA on TNT brand has been around since before you were born, Dray uh, you know, and and it was you know, we've had games on TBS or TNT for better than forty years. And so there there have been these these these moments this year that give you calls for reflection. I mean, I remember being in Boston for Opening Night and standing there and saying, Wow, this is this is really the last year of the NBA on TNT, and I felt the same thing at All Star Weekend. That was our last All Star game. Our first was two thousand and three in Atlanta and looked like Michael and his last All Star games the MVP and and there was foul light and Kobe hit free throws and Kevin Garnett was the MVP and and man, it's a blink. All of a sudden, we're sitting there in San Francisco and saying, this is the last one. It's the last one of these All Star games that we're gonna do. So that part's been difficult, and I'm glad that we're able to salvage the show even though it's not going to be on TNT. And as many times as I've tried to explain to folks how this works, it's I was like, huh, what what are you talking about? You're going to keep doing the show, but it's not going to be on TNA. Well where's it going to be. Well when you tune into some of these nights on ABC or ESPN, the pregame show is going to be us. We're gonna still be doing in Atlanta. We're just not going to be saying the NBA on T n T. You know, I'll see how many. I don't know what the over under it will be for me on times that I speak, but but yeah, to to stay together with those guys, to stay together with our production crew, that's really important. Yeah, you know, it's the I guess, the business of basketball. You know, these things, and sometimes it happens. You know, we've been I've been part of you know, we had the NFL for a while, then we lost it. You know, I did the PGA Championship forever, and then we you know, when the rights were up, we didn't get and you know the RERADI show. It happens, and we've been through it. But I'm just glad that that that core, not just the guys on the air, but that whole production crew. We'll still you know, we'll just do it. We'll just we'll just see it in a different place.
Speaker 2: Funny story, I've had the opportune and they obviously to work with Ernie on inside the NBA, and my first time working with the group, I get this rundown of everything that's going on, and this is during the time where everything's on zoom, you know, and So the production meeting is all these things on zoom.
Speaker 1: And so I log into the zoom. I'm a new guy. I'm not going to be laid for a meeting. I log into the zoom. I log in looking for Shack, looking for Chuck, looking looking for Kenny.
Speaker 2: The only person I see from the show is Ernie outside of the production crew's Ernie, and I'm like, I sit there. Ernie goes, Dray, mind, what the hell are you doing here? I'm going to mister production media, get out of here?
Speaker 1: How long off?
Speaker 2: And I said all of that to say, Ernie, can you explain to people a day we go live at? Say and I say we when I'm on the show, say we start at six thirty six o'clock, will say we go live at six o'clock, seven o'clock. Can you explain to people what your day is like when you arrive at the at Studio Jay on campus and then what you're doing preparing for a day, Because I don't think people really truly understand everything that you do. Like they see you obviously be the point guard and orchestrate, they don't know everything you explaining the day to us of a seven o'clock start time that's not ending until one thirty in the morning. Can you explain the day of Ernie Johnson to myself and the fans who love the show?
Speaker 4: The spoilers answer may may bore some folks. They may say, hey, you know, clip that piece of that Draymond and BD podcast where Ernie's talking about his preparation because I need that for like a sleep meditation tonight. But here's the deal. It's like it's it's like on those game days. Yeah, so you say the pregame shows out at seven o'clock, I'm in there. I'm in there between ten and eleven in the morning because I've also got to do the steam Room podcast with Charles, which is available wherever you get your podcasts. And I think, in a way, I'm like you guys. I mean, you think about, in the course of an NBA season or in the course of your basketball careers, you can become a creature of habit.
Speaker 1: You can become Look, this is my game.
Speaker 4: Day ritual, this is my game before you know, day before day off ritual. And I had the exact same thing. So there are certain things that I know I need to do. And the thing to remember about it is that my preparation for that night show has been going on all week. I keep a daily log of every game played in the league from beginning to end. So every game that's been played, I could, hey, here it is. Look, so this is let's see. Let's see. Now I'm just open enough. So that's so, there's February. This is February. So and it's all kind of in my own shorthand for what I for, what I can for what I can understand. So I mean, I can look at last night. I could look at last night's Golden State game as I go through the box scores every night, and so Buddy Heal had it was one nineteen. Well, the Charlotte game was one nineteen one oh one, made Golden State thirty three and twenty eight. It was the hornets seventh straight loss. Buddy Heeld had twenty two, Curry twenty one and Tennissist Pajemski nineteen, Drey had sixteen, twelve and seven, Butler had thirteen. They never trailed and led by nineteen thirty five and nine for Miles Bridges on the other side. But it's those details on it every game that is played, because then I can anytime. Then when I see teams playing again, I can refer back to that day. Okay, here's what happened in that game. So that's one of the things I do on a daily basis, and then keeping these these files on every team. So here's tomorrow night, because Golden State and Brooklyn are playing tomorrow night. That's one of six games on the schedule. Neither of them play tonight, so I can I can get through. I've got this as the wow as the Golden State Brooklyn breakdown, and I see I update those those team profiles every day. So with the Warriors. So your last post was the twenty three Western Conference Semis knocked out in the play in in twenty four twenty two champs over Boston four too your home. Your record on the road is seventeen and fifteen, six and one since the break with Jimmy Butler, you're twenty two and four. When you lead at the half, you're seven and one. When you allow under one hundred, you're one and eleven when you score under one hundred, and I don't know, and it's overkill, fellas, but you and you go into every show realizing ninety five percent of the stuff you got never going to make there, but on the but on the off chance that there is something in here that's that's relevant, then you've got it. And you just feel like you're into the game and you know exactly what's what's going on. So that goes on all week, and so really just the finishing touches are put on on a game day, you know, I'll read articles from around the league, you know, I'll look at the production format that Tim Kiley has put in. Okay, let's see what we need to and then really just do just doing facts and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And so that's it.
Speaker 4: So the preparation never ends. It's look, doing the show's the easy part. The work is all a prep yeah, and so, and so that's why, like I mean last night, I didn't work last night, but I worked here in my office at home because I'm flipping around from game to game and from nine to thirty until one thirty, I'm doing this stuff.
Speaker 1: But that's it. And it's not like I show up on Thursday and say, hey, what happened in the league this week?
Speaker 4: You know, that's it's like it's just an ongoing process. But it's what makes me comfortable. It may it's not for everybody. There are a million guys out here doing what I do, and they have their own ways of doing it. But for me, that's what makes me comfortable. And what I discovered long ago is when you're comfortable and when you're prepared, you don't get rattled. Right, So somebody can break a backboard and throw it back to the studio for twenty minutes while they're fixing.
Speaker 1: Shoot, I can fill for two hours what you need. I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that you know the preparation, everything going into it. And then like he said, the show is easy, right once you get to the show is easy. But like I went one, how fun is it? And how easy is it to.
Speaker 1: Keep those dudes on? Garrael, Kenny Sack shut?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: In there with me, you know what it is. And every show is somewhere between a walk on the beach and a train wreck.
Speaker 4: And the time, you don't know which it's going to be until you get the younger and and and you don't because because part of the deal is, look, we all have lives. We all have some days are good and some days are a little rocky. And so somebody you may be bringing that to the chair when you sit down. You had a bad day, Shack, you had a bad day, and he doesn't know, doesn't feel like taking anything, and you can tell right from the car that's gonna happen. So really it's just kind of a feeling out process, and it's like, Okay, how's this gonna Is the energy good in here? Geez, he's Shack's on fire tonight. This is going to be a long or chucky, subdued I don't know Auburn law, you know. So so you you're constantly kind of reading the room and then kind of figuring out which direction you want to go. And it's like it's like, I'm people call me so many different things in that role.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's hey, he's the ring master. Hey he's the point guard, he's the traffic cop. I'm actually that traffic cop who's not very good at his job because instead of end of trying to wave people through the intersection with no fender benders, I'm like waving Kenny this way because I know Shack is going to broadside.
Speaker 1: And so and so. In that way, I'm a little, uh, a little bit of a rogue traffic cop. But that's that's how that's how it goes. Man. And if folks at home or and.
Speaker 4: You're saying, I have no idea what is going to happen next on this show, join the club man, because I got no idea either. And again, you guys have both seen it. You know the show can go a million different directions, and sometimes you just let it go, and sometimes you need to try to rain the guys in and maybey okay good because you know Chuck has a bad habit of repeating himself. You know, he'll make it, he'll make a point and then repeat it three more times before and like the other night he was doing, I said, look, man, you're just making laps on this thing, and we stop and move on, okay, And so sometimes I guess I just need to let him know that I know you've just said that four times. You know I'm not going to let you say it five times. But yeah, that's that's the way it goes. It's just it's all feel, it's like and and Tim Kyley gets a lot of credit for that too, the producer, because you know, we'll get in my years sometimes say let's move on, or he'll say let it go.
Speaker 1: This is good.
Speaker 4: You know, like like we can continue to if it's a really good discussion. So but yeah, it's all feel it's like, okay, this is trying to run its course, phone, let's change let's change direction and do something else.
Speaker 1: I've had so much fun on the show.
Speaker 2: You know, it's unlike anything that I've ever done, and I'm not sure in media that you can ever do anything else that's like no, like it's it's I'm not sure how you can recreate it, Like I'm not sure, like I don't think it can be recreated. But it's so free flowing. But yet and still it's not just like Haywire though. It's not just like anything goes like it's very much so like, hey, we want to talk about these things, and then if it goes somewhere else, great, But for me to have the opportunity to be on that show with you guys and just watch and learn and.
Speaker 1: To watch you guys help me.
Speaker 2: You know, when I'm sitting there and can't really get a word in and you're like, Drake, mind what about this? You know, or you know, early when I first started, you know, we're on the break and Chuck's asking me like, hey, so what are your thoughts on NIL? And I tell them my thoughts on NIL. We come back from the break, starts talking and Chuck goes, you know, Draymond has some thoughts on and like.
Speaker 1: Just throw me alive and I go on it.
Speaker 2: And just to like have that experience and really my first experience in media and like really doing TV. I feel like it's set me up so well for the future, just being able to work next to stars to greats, and I just want to say thank you for helping me move into that field, but just making it so easy for me to just go up there and speak and try to build my brand in that space. I just want to say thank you because I couldn't ask for a better experience.
Speaker 4: Right's the first thing, Right, What's the first thing I said to you after your first show with us? I said, Man, are you in a great spot? Because I don't know how much longer you're going to play. But when it's done, you can write your ticket because everybody's going to launch you.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: It's true, man, And there's look some guys.
Speaker 1: Half it.
Speaker 4: You know, we knew right away.
Speaker 1: Kenny had it. You know, Kenny was you know, Kenny just had this way about him. This great like street Wise, you know, you can't throw me off my game in any way.
Speaker 4: You asked me anything out and he was great, and we said, oh man, when he's done, he's got to be part of the show. And that's always been the key to any to any player who's tried to venture out and branch out, and a lot of times their agents are like, I'm going to try to get my guy on.
Speaker 1: TV because I think, you know, this is the avenue.
Speaker 4: And there are some guys who you would see them interviewed post game or see their personality on the floor and say, he might be really good on TV, but there's about that red light going on. There's something there's something about that red light going on, and suddenly the topic of conversation is this guy's is this guy's buddy?
Speaker 1: What am I going to say? Am I going to be honest?
Speaker 4: Or am I going to say what my buddy wants me to say or to say about his team? And there can be that oh, I don't know if I want to go there. To our guys credit, they have never shied away despite what you despite what players in the league might say, and b D the same way you know I say I talk about this, you know, with when Dray was on the show a few years ago for the first time. But it's the same way with you when you're on the air with us, we're like gets he's.
Speaker 1: Just being him.
Speaker 4: He's not like all got to be TV I now, you know. It's just like what you guys had me on the show, And this is what I am. And that's all you can ask for is somebody to be authentic and genuine and be themselves and not hold back. And for a guy like Chuck, who was the most quotable guy in the world on every topic when he was a player, who was always sought out for his opinion, he never shied away from that. And that's what may and that's what makes it work so And it also goes back when you talk about the free flowing conversation. It goes back to the fact that these guys are not in the production meeting because people we don't want the show laid out, so they're thinking about, well, what am I going to say about that? What am I going to say about the Bucks, What am I going to say about the Clippers? What am I going to say about Kawhi it's gonna come up, and what do you think right there? Not with not with a bunch of of oh, I'm trying to remember what I said, and not with a rehearsed kind of But we've seen enough shows that are so over that are so rehearsed the opinions and the things that are happening are happening.
Speaker 1: Like boom boom boom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like okay, now you're supposed to talk to I'm supposed to talk to Hans, but now we're supposed to get to commercial with us. It's like, geez, who knows how it's going to go, you know, with all this stuff flying back and forth. And that's what I think that's why it resonates. I think that's that gives you more of that feel like you're sitting in the living room with your with your fellas watching nobody's asking for permission to talk, you know, nobody's You don't go to commercial break and say when we come back, you say this, and then you say this, and I'll laugh and you say this. No, we're just letting it fly and then eventually we got to get back to the game, and then we'll pick it up when the game's over. So that's that's how it works.
Speaker 2: Opinions sometimes can get heat it. You know, you're talking about basketball, which off for guys on that dage long you go through life, you start to show us seven o'clock, it could be twelve fifteen's been there for four and a half hours. Well you've been there for thirteen and a half hours, but everyone else has been there for like call it five five and a half hours. You get a little grawl, you get a little tired u pee and start to clash. Have there ever been moments on a set where you felt like, man, this could this could really lean the other way, like and like go somewhere.
Speaker 1: We really don't want it to go amongst.
Speaker 4: The guys, no be And a lot of times the talk from people who watch and they've asked me this thing. You're afraid that Shaq and Charles are really gonna you know, throw hands some night, And I said, no, no, no, they look these guys are tight. Their moms were tight. You know there is their families were tight. No, but they but here's the deal. They realized that every everybody on that show comes at the game from a different angle, and so they are gonna be you know, you know, Shaq is going to give you the big Man got to give you thirty and fifteen. You know, that's just it's a solution to everything, you know, and knowing the Charles and Jenny will point.
Speaker 1: Out, look, you were Shack, you're Shack.
Speaker 4: Okay, you can do that, but not everybody is you doesn't matter, you know, And so I think because of that, you can have these differences of opinion, and a lot of times that comes down to, like, you know, Shack saying the coaching doesn't matter. You know, here's a guy who's played with some of the greatest coaches of all time, but he's saying he'd you know, And then you get a Chuck and the man you must have been enjoyed a coach and then they say you're going to be some furniture movement. I mean, but no, I don't think I don't think that that's ever been an issue of thinking, oh, yeah, these guys are really these guys are really mad at each other. I mean, look, there was one time, in particular, the clip has gone viral about a billion times of the you know, the night that Charles took all of Shack's time on a sponsored only you know, I finally get finding you know, they were twenty five seconds okay, Shack then, you know, because Charles had answered, and then I was about to throw it to Shack, and then Charles took it back because he had something else to add for the fourth time.
Speaker 1: And then when I get it back to Shack, No, no, I know.
Speaker 4: He wants to talk me thing all the time about him supposed to you know, I was supposed to be one to two to three, not one to two and back to one, which which that's when he which when he said, it was the funniest thing I'd ever heard of. And I couldn't stop and so but what you didn't realize he was it was it was so many Shack was Shaq was running fuck.
Speaker 1: P D B D.
Speaker 4: This was during the playoffs, and he came minute, he came in the next night. He was he was quiet, He wouldn't talk.
Speaker 1: He was in the show stars and he's just sitting here like this, straight ahead and I'm having to beg him to talk. You know, come on, hey, big fella, come on, this good matchup. You know they don't want to fall down three to one in the series. No, they don't.
Speaker 7: He's still he is still hot, and so really that's that's one of the That's one of the few times I've ever seen any kind of a carryover from one show to the next where somebody where somebody they got got their feelings hurt a little bit and was not going to take part.
Speaker 4: In And I remember, I remember that pregame show ended and Shock immediately got up and went to the green room and Kenny and Chuck and I looked at the other.
Speaker 1: Somebody said, work with a big fellow in this arena.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that seems like a great, great fun And then I wanted to, you know, share a moment uh in the career that she did something uh on basketball related.
Speaker 1: I remember we made burritos.
Speaker 3: Uh, we did the uh indie race where everybody kept calling me a getaway driver. And Charlotte, what are some of those moments that you enjoy, you know from the show that you guys do you know off campus or activities.
Speaker 1: What are one of those moments That was one?
Speaker 4: The one in Charlotte was really fun because we went to the drag went to the drag strip up there and and got to have those. And I'm still picked off because I had because I had Candas Parker beat and then something happened to our car. But uh, but we we had those We had that big race at Georgia Tech. All of this based on Kenny running to the board all the time, you know, and and by the way, he never he never challenges Draymond on that race to the board when when dra comes visits us, because they get just to the board in about two and a half steps. And but so that led to this big We're gonna have one hundred meter dash at Georgia Tech. And it's me and Weber, Chuck, Shaq and Kenny. Again this also probably available online somewhere, but it was, you know, everybody's wolfing, everybody's saying why they're gonna win.
Speaker 1: And it was such a bogus start me, I'm the idiot who says I'm just I'm waiting on the gun.
Speaker 4: And I was the only guy on the gun start that hundred meters. So I immediately sat up and I say, fall start, fall start name.
Speaker 1: Nobody listening to me. They're going and.
Speaker 4: Chuck, I mean, I know I would have beaten Chuck because he hasn't finished it yet. And and Shaq pulls a Hammy or with about forty yards to go and he's actually winning and is coasting to the finish line and then Weber passes him right at the line and breaks the tongue and that was the hole you got to run through the tape. But it was it was again, it was one of those things where it was like who who thinks this up?
Speaker 1: You know who? And who pulls it off?
Speaker 4: And because we were using this is years ago before drones even became that big a thing, and we're looking around and these things are buzzing around, they're shooting this with drones. They're dead, and it was. It was tremendous. I just those are the things that those are the things that set us apart. I think those are the things that's like, we'll do anything and some of it will be great and some of it might not be funny at all and might not work, but man, we're going to shoot our shot and we'll see. So I think, yeah, I think that that historical dash that was certainly one of them. We spoke about it. You've had a long career. Is there one thing out there doesn't have to be a sports or anything.
Speaker 2: Is there one thing out there that you look at it, you say, I still, I haven't done that, but I want to do that thing before I'm done.
Speaker 4: You know what I have been able to condition myself, Draymond, to appreciate what I have been able to do and not what I haven't been able to do. So no, I've never given that a thought. I'd never say, boy, this has been great, but I really want to do this. I have what I call it get to job, not a got to job. We've all seen folks at the traffic light who are driving to got two jobs. I'm doing this because I've got to go to this. I got to get to job, to go down there and hang out with these four, with these three guys, and have been able to do that for thirty five years. So I've always been been focused on what I get to do, and never a regret, and never a boy, Michael, my career could be complete if I could just do this.
Speaker 1: That's not the way it works for me. You go from March Madness to the NBA playoffs.
Speaker 3: I would like to know which one is more intense, which one is more interesting for you?
Speaker 4: The prep for March Madness is so much more than for the NBA. Look, I got this NBA thing down, you know, on a nightly basis, doing the things that I have to do and I know to get ready. But every college basketball season, it's like, hey, how many teams might make the tournament? And that's kind of where I start, you know, It's like I'll start really paying attention in December and just before they start getting into conference schedules and that kind of thing. And since we've been doing that for thirteen years, thirteen fourteen years, now I have a like this database on my computer where I've got profiles on probably two hundred and something teams.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: So right, just because over just because over the years, that's how many you know, starting with that first year, it's like I got one hundred teams here that might make the tournament, you know, depending on all these conference tournaments. And then it just increases and then every year you're updating this. Okay, now it's this guy's eighteenth year as the head coach, and their March Madness history is this, and here are their top guys. And now you add to that equation. Okay, got to take it to the next level. Where else has this guy been? Okay, So we transferred this year from here, but the previous two years he was here and before that here, and now he's playing in his eighth year in college, so that's fall. So that's all added to the preparation there. So that's where again the amount of preparation for the compared to the length of the event. You're doing all this because in two three weeks it's all going to be over.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 4: It's not like an eighty two game season. It's like this thing is going to start in mid March and be over in early April. Yeah, why there is this much work getting into it? So there's still something about that tournament BD. To answer your question, that is something no other sport heads that I've seen. There's just that hole, that whole vibe around the tournament, which you know, you don't have to be a sportsman to have a bracket, right, you just you know that's it's one of the great uniting things in our country. It is March madness. It gets everybody together.
Speaker 1: It gets people.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if there are water coolers anymore, but if you have a water cooler in your office, that's where you would gather to talk about. Wow, you really think South Dakota State can beat so and say you know that, and so it would bring people together, even for a short time, for some common ground. And and again and the one and done nature of that, you know, leads to these you know, these iconic buzzer beating moments that that live forever. And that's what Yeah, So that's what's really really special about that. So yeah, and the fact that I you know, get to go to New York with Kenny and Chuck and and Clark kellog up there again, that's that's it's so much fun.
Speaker 1: And but those days you guys.
Speaker 4: Have been in the NBA studio, you talk about, you know, getting in there and walking out at two o'clock in the morning. Yeah, I mean you're talking about games noon to one, noon to one. Those first two days are so crazy. You're sitting around and and it's like, Okay, I'm doing a CBS halftime show that I'm going to bring TNT on the air, and we're doing a true TV halftime and all these are happening like boom boom boom. Okay, this true true TV halftime is which game?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 4: Okay, I've seen eight seconds of that. But luckily Clark has a good handle on it, so we'll go to him. So it's that kind of a thing. It's non stop and the hours are long. But as I've always told Kenny and Chuck, when those days start getting long and we're kind of getting a little bit bleary eyed, Look if your boss told you at your job, hey, all I want you to do for the next four days is watch the tournament.
Speaker 1: You probably sign up for that. And that's how we're doing. And a heartbeat. I watched. I love the tournament, so I get it. Marchin on differently before we get out of here. We love to make a good list.
Speaker 2: Could you do your top five inside the NBA moments that you've in your thirty five years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's see. Some of them will be, uh, this is tough to do, but some of them will be like just clowning on the guys and that kind of thing. Probably the Champions Club ranks up there where we locked Charles out of the studio for halftime because he didn't ever ring.
Speaker 1: Only champions could get in.
Speaker 4: I think I think the Kenny Kenny against Charles diaper changing contest where we melted when we melted a little butterfinger, uh microwave and put it inside the diaper and Charles nearly fainted. Let's see retiring Kenny's jersey. Retiring it was so funny.
Speaker 1: On the clothes line. I would say he was so upset about that, he was I'm getting out of here.
Speaker 4: I remember, Yeah, I would think Shack, whether he's falling or being pushed into Christmas trees or the night the night that he actually got his foot wrapped around the cable and pulled the monitor out of.
Speaker 1: The set that goats up there.
Speaker 4: But here's here's the deal, and I'll bring it back to I'll be real. The show I'll never forget is the one we did in La after Kobe died because they canceled the game. But we went out there and did the show mid court, nobody in the nobody in the arena, and just talk about him. And for like Shack, it was the first time he had a chance to talk about Kobe. You know, we bring Jerry west On and he's balling, you know.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was the most powerful show I've ever been a part of. And it was just so real and so raw, and it was and it just I think it was just a demonstration of the fact that yeah, we can have some really ridiculous times on our show, and we can make your laugh and you can go to work the next day and talk about you see what those clowns did. But also they'll say, man, did you see did you see that tribute to Kobe last night? And that was you know, probably that's the thing. If I had to look at it right now and say, the thing I will never forget about that show is that night.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. I don't know how. I don't know how we can go past that. Such a great note to end on.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, when we look around the basketball landscape, obviously all of us are big Kobe fans.
Speaker 1: You know, we all miss him, and so to end on that is incredible.
Speaker 2: But more importantly, Ernie, we can't thank you enough for coming on the show, sharing your stories, your backstory going all the way back to childhood, but more importantly just sharing your energy and your life on this show. Obviously we're all big fans of you, as we said earlier, for us, both of us, to have the opportunity to work next to you and catch some of them assist you be throwing out.
Speaker 1: One of.
Speaker 2: My TV career, Man, tell me about it. So I just want to say thank you for really coming on. I've been a complete honor and just hearing these stories, it's been a special one for me.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you, fellows, thank you so much for having me on. And I am no, hey, it's a it's a get to your job.
Speaker 1: Man. I'm glad I could share some of.
Speaker 2: It with you.
Speaker 1: Yes, really appreciate you. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Ejmch Love. We can't wait for the next book too. I scripted the first one. Amazing.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I can't wait and wait for the next one. Yeah, I got a few. I got a few of them up here, man, I got one for us.
Speaker 3: Uh n right book, Yeah, I know, I got you got bars and he got bars right. He was sitting the bars at the at the legends.
Speaker 1: Bruh.
Speaker 3: That was man, the way he was doing the INSS asked car we need a whole Silsan's book.
Speaker 1: Well, Ernie Bars b d you and me. I would love to do that, you know it. I would count me in. I'll get to work. I got you as I feel like I broke it. That all right, already start weekend J Executive producer.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, all right, thank you thank you so much, Big Dome, the Ghost, good luckdown the stretch man.
Speaker 1: Thank you really appreciate it. I'll see you soon. Yeah, you got it.
Speaker 4: And it's been hey great being your teammates, both of you. Thank you, thank you on and uh, that's been a great thing about that show man. I'm getting to meet folks like you. Appreciate your time. Man likewise, thank you.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: Sona to be a part of it, all right, Arnie the volume
Speaker 3: Mm hmm