Speaker 1: You're listening to the Buck Sexton Show podcast, make sure you subscribe to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome to the Buck Brief. Join now by a very special guest, Professor Hadley Arcus, fifty years at Amherst College, tenured professor of political science there, perhaps for some of you, most notably the early tutor of my political journey twenty years ago he was. He was my advisor both for thesis and general academic advisor at Amherst College. He is now the founder and director of the James Wilson Institute, which is doing fantastic work and a Professor Arcis, as I'm fond of telling my audience any lapses in my political judgment or understanding could be squarely placed at your eminent feet.
Speaker 3: This is absolutely But look, I just rad you're the most favorite, my favorite favorite student of one of my most favorite count places high school.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Regis is a great as a great institution, and we're still trying to fight that place.
Speaker 3: From Yeah, but you are one of the two most celebrated figures from Regis.
Speaker 2: I know Fauci is the other one. Don't think you're going to surprise me with that one among the I have said, among the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your invitation is more enhanced though.
Speaker 2: Yeahs Fauci, I think is And I really say this in all honesty. I think that he may be the single most destructive bureaucrat in the history of the bureaucrat in the history of the United States. And I think he may be personally responsible for, as a function of policy, uh, more suffering misery and economic calamity than any other living American today. So that that's how I try to line it up. But a graduate of Regis High School.
Speaker 3: That that that's said that what's it's uh the Telerance remark when he heard that memory Antoinette had been executed, he said, well, I'm nothing against her personally, you know, well, I'm nothing. I'm nothing against it personally. He's in he's remember the class of fifty eight, which would have been my year.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: He played basketball there. But anyway, that's our way I went.
Speaker 1: We are here.
Speaker 2: We are here to figure out how we can uh save the Republican Party and save a whole lot of law, a whole lot of lives. Also in the process, Professor arkis in the Fight for life layout. Let me give you a premise and then I want to let you just take take it away. Right now, the momentum is the GOP cannot win going into this election on the issue of being pro life or the fight for life. That is the that is the the issue du jour right now in a lot for a lot of people, that is the where the political momentum is.
Speaker 1: What do you say?
Speaker 3: I say, this is this? They have this view. You know, the Republican political class has always been kind of sheepish and talking about this. You know, the genius of the conservative jewisprudence is that we would return the issue to the political arena. They return it to the political arena where the culture had been now stacked against us for fifty years with the Court have been teaching there's something deeply rightful and necessary about abortion. So you're turning it into that kind of culture without doing any teaching. And the critical point is that no, there's a way of returning tables on the Democrats and bringing forth, as my pitch is, the old Born Alive Infants Protection Act. This was brought forth twenty years ago. Something I wrote for the debating kid of the first first George Bush to all write a panic among the Republican Party when the question was an abortion could be returned to the States.
Speaker 2: Tell everybody about what the Born Alive Protection Act is?
Speaker 3: That was it a move to make the first most modest step on abortion, to see if we could protect simply the child who survived in abortion. Because there was one federal court in nineteen seventy seven dealing with a child who survived an abortion for twenty one days, undergone a surgery, died. The question was where's there an obligation to preserve the life that child? And the answer tended by Judge Hainsworth was no, it is not a child mark for for the protection of the law. That's a fetus of mark for an abortion. In other words, the right to an abortion was the right to a dead fetus. So I had something the draft for President Bush saying why don't we start there? Because the other side says they're against infanticide, which means they're willing to protect the child at some point, So let's invite them to tell us when and if nothing else is forthcoming, what about birth? Can we protect a child born alive? Well, we started that. We brought that fourth in two thousand. It was passing two thousand and two, and to say that even that child marked for an abortion is a person protected under the law. But for the sake of averting a veto from Bill Clinton at the time, the drafters of the bill dropped the penalties. But then in twenty thirteen, we had this abutoire run by doctor Gosnoll in Philadelphia. We were snipping the necks of babies who survived the abortion. And one of the women who was helping us at the time, just Stantic, a nurse in Illinois, was dealing with a live birth abortion where the child was delivered live and put in the refuse room to die. And as she got on the air, nurses were calling in all over the country saying, we've been doing those for years in our hospital. More of this was going on than we thought. Well, when the killing started again in twenty thirteen, this was the moment to bring forth the move to restore those penalties that had been stripped away when we first enacted the bill. The Democrats were embarrassed to oppose it, so they were the Democrats in controlled the Senate. Harry Reid brought the bill to the floor of the for the vote, and Kyl Rove asked me when we were signing. The President was signed the bill, Karl said, why do you think they let that happen? I said, I don't know. What's your surmise? They thought, he thought people must have cared about this. Well, I don't know. When the killings started again in twenty thirteen, we'd bring it back. But now there's a dramatically altered situation. The Democrats had were reluctantly gone wrong with us in two thousand and two, but now the division between the parties was utterly cohesive. Every Publican voting in this House voted to restore the penalties to the Born Alive Act, and virtually every Democrat voting that was in September twenty fifteen voted against, except for a handful of pro life Democrats still there. So that September twenty fifteen, who was tried again in January twenty eighteen, with the republic can still in control, same kind of vote, cohesive alignment, and let's try it again in January twenty twenty three, when the Republicans came back and the vote was that party line down the way two twenty to two ten. There's only one pro life Democrat, Henry Cooler, who came over. See. So the point is for their Democrat, the cats right now, the right to abortion does not even end at the point of birth. And the curious point is that this has never been picked up the even Fox News. I heard Bett Bear doing an interview with Doug Showan saying this is the issue abortion that will win it and win it for Joe Biden. And what was amazing is that Brett Bear could not turn and say, but don't you to them, don't you think the Democrats have a problem that they acknowledge no limits to the right to abortion even when the child comes out alive. Fox News will not cover it. Beth Bear was a participant in three presidential bates over twenty sixteen to twenty sixteen and then twenty twenty, and other debates among the Republicans never raise the issue, so there's some kind of a blockage there. But for Trump, this is tailor, This is tailor made for him.
Speaker 2: Can we, professor Ars, can we hold for one second because I want I want to bring you back on this specific issue of Trump, but just with a line of the clock out A word from our sponsor here, the Oxford Gold Group. I keep hearing that people are on the fence about owning gold and silver, and look, I get it right. This is something you want to do. A put a portion of your assets inswer. You want to diversify. You want to have some precious metals on hand, because just look at what can happen with the massive changes in inflation in global economies. You could have a war breakout. And if you look historically, gold and silver have increase in value over time. You can use it as a hedge against inflation. It's a tangible currency in the event of things going really haywire, but also just a store of historical value. That's what gold is. I have gold and silver on hand. I think you should too. Call the Oxford Gold Group. You may qualify for up to ten thousand dollars in free precious metals, depending on your purchase.
Speaker 1: Called the Oxford Gold Group.
Speaker 2: Now that's who I get my gold and silver from eight three three nine nine to five gold eight three three nine nine five g O L. D all right, Professor Arkis, So bring us back to the wait.
Speaker 3: I put it. I put in my order into the gold. He was a sofas, Thank.
Speaker 1: You, sir.
Speaker 2: It's ever if you if you look, if you look at a charge gold gold the last.
Speaker 1: Thirty years pretty sound.
Speaker 2: It turns out, you know what people you know what people get concerned about, or rather when they ask me what worries me? True story. Actually somebody called in once and asked in twenty nineteen, twenty nineteen, what kept me up late at night? And I said, uh, it was actually back to your I said, a mutated bacterial pandemic, something like a bubonic plague. And this is pre COVID and everything else. But the one that I still now we've been through that whole nightmare, but the one that I still tell everybody. If you really want to feel bad about the future, just look at the history of Fiat currency over time. Look at what ends up happening over time. It is not a happy story when governments are able to print money, whether you're talking about ancient Rome or or various iterations of French regimes, or just go down the list.
Speaker 3: But Professor Kay, talk about anchoring, talk about anchoring moral truths. You've got one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hey, someone's got to pay the bills.
Speaker 3: Professor listen, I think the good news in the morning was that people are still reluctant, were getting get more reluctant to buy electric cars. That is, that's very helpful news for.
Speaker 2: This Well, I my favorite story of the last week or the last couple of weeks wash you know, the New Republic, which should just be called the new Communist They they have admitted that recycling plastic.
Speaker 1: Is a giant waste of time.
Speaker 2: Finally, which is which is a huge, a huge benefit I think, I think to mankind.
Speaker 1: So all right, now back to the issue hand.
Speaker 2: But I know some people I'm not going to say who, I know some people who maybe can get in Trump's year on some things. Professor arkis and he is our nominee, and he is going to have to address this issue of life. How can he do it? How do we do the two things of maintaining principle, saving lives but also winning because if you lose, then the lunatics are in charge.
Speaker 3: Well, no, this is Taylor made for him, and my dear friend Tom Klegenstein is supposed to be interviewing Trump. He's been close to Trump. He'll try to get this my piece in his hands. This is Taylor made for Trump because he's come out with av of the sixteen week bill on abortion, which is good because he's as we can do something at the national level. But the other side will just pound him on the matter of your doing something to a national vote. What he could do is just turn the tables on him. He doesn't have to be on the defensive. He said, look, you have something to explain. You will not acknowledge a limit to abortion even at the point of birth. We're going to start with that of all bill to put in place that simplest point that even that child mark from abortion is a human being, a small human being who comes with the protection of the law. Can we he said, we can bring together people on both sides, even he wants to do that, even people who are pro choice. Looks up some restrictions on abortion, he could bring them over. Now, even if the Republicans take control of the Senate, it will be very hard to get sixty votes to bring that bill on sixteen weeks to the floor for the vote. But you will be able to bring that bill on saving life the child who survives. You will be able to get that to the to the get sixty votes to bring that to the floor finally, and what's that's in place? Of course the other side, I said, wow, you want to do some other things. See, of course we're not hiding it from you. We're going to come back and ask you what's the difference of that same child five minutes earlier, five weeks, five days, five months earlier. It's the same child. Now here's the point. If you don't want to go with us, well then you don't vote with us. It's our job to persuade you. You have nothing to lose. But we're telling you. Once we put in place that point, we've given you something to think about. Look, just as Leader made the point in that Dobb's decision that if we can protect the child after viability, after the child could be survive outside the womb, why can't we protect the same child before viability. It's the same child. It's the same child. So whether we're talking about fifteen weeks or six weeks, it's the same entity. We think with the same child. Now, if you just plant that first point that people are clear whatever this is, No, we don't think that the right to abortion is the right to kill a baby who survives. That's a real human being with a claim to our concern and protection, just plant simple point that the media refuse to cover and refuse to acknowledge.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was gonna say, I hopefully, but I can assume that the the response to this, having been in some of these public scuffles, Professor archis now for for many years. You know what they will say, and this is this is a tough one.
Speaker 1: This is UH.
Speaker 2: They will deny reality. They will say that this does not happen, that there's no need for even what you are talking about because it does not happen. And then if we show them, well, here is a case of it happening, they'll say, well, that was just one case. You know, this is this is where it becomes impossible. It's like arguing with the with the UH, the mass psychology, and instead of any individual who can take your argument at face value.
Speaker 3: But the answer to that is it does happen. We have the the case, the evidence about the case of doctor Gosnell in Philadelphia snipping the nets of those babies. We have Jenna Nessen and the people we've brought forth in the hearings, the women, the people who've survived, the survivors abortion who aren't here to tell the story that it happened, and we have the kind of testimonies brought in by Jill Staneka, by nurses throughout the country that yes, it really is happening. It really is happening. We're not collecting all the evidence on it, but it is happening. And the point is, look, even if we're dealing with only a handful of lives, buck, this is the argument. Even if we're saving a handful of lives, and we can carve out from that vast volume of eight hundred thousand abortions a year, we can rescue a handful of lives. There's nothing trifling about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, that's just one.
Speaker 2: Life applies to democrats and a whole range of endeavors, not this one.
Speaker 1: So much, that said so much.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: I also want to ask you, professor, while we got you, just to weigh in a little bit on the on the campus issue. But first and a little bit of ammerst the place we share in common and what things how things turned after we left. We'll do a few minutes on that here to come back. But first up, you know, I want to tell everybody about Patriot Defender It is a legal defense membership, and it's something that you just want to have these days, no cost, legal defense to protect your rights, freedom's reputation, and way of life.
Speaker 1: Speak up at a school.
Speaker 2: Board meeting about vaccine mandate, suffer consequences, your legal defense is covered, your right to free speech is denied, You suffer consequences. Legal defense covered. Have to use a second amendment to defend yourself, IRS, audit assistance, a whole range of things that involve your essential liberties, your constitutionally protected rights. Patriot Defender is there for you. I'm a believer in this kind of defense. I'm a partner in this business and a member. The website is patriotdefender dot com. Again, patriotdefender dot com the only membership like it that goes beyond just concealed carry weapon defense. Patriot Defender will cover what others won't and protect you, your family, and your livelihood. Go to Patriot Defender dot com. Professor Arkis this is the we go through this exercise. Sometimes when it comes to the way the media covers Trump with how is it, it almost becomes metaphysical. They say Trump is hitler, and then he's worse than Hitler, and then we say, well, how can you be worse than worse than Hitler? You know, where do they go? Where does where does when they go to eleven on the dial and there is no twelve. That's a bit how I felt about about the politics that reigned at Amherst twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: What happens? What happened since?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's just it's it's just it's just been hideous. I remember when nine to eleven occurred when you were a student. Yeah, I remember, I didn't. I didn't go to the faculty meeting because I knew what was going on. We're gonna have colleagues telling us somehow that thing in nine to eleven it was somehow our fault, and I think it was. I thought it was either you or Ted Hertzberg who got up in the middle of that crowd and said, I can't believe we're hearing this from grown ups now in the Amherst. Amherst.
Speaker 2: It was feisty little Hertzburg, by the way, shout out to feisty little Herzburg.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's it, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: I was there with him, I was sitting with him, and he got up and dinner and then we got out and we left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was either you or Ted who got that line off. It was great. And then people came showed up for Republican meeting. Look and Amherst, it is inconceivable you could have a meeting for the burning of crosses. If there's anything said, any incident that indicates racial animus. Classes are called off, there's a fake cross bred, there's a cross brain at Ambers. Before you were a student, it had classes were called off. And I raised the question at the time, well what if the ACLU says this is protected speech, Well, it doesn't matter to us. Then it came out there were black students who burned the cross for the sake of getting something going. People had to change. But the point is it's just it. Even though Scalia would say that it's right at the First Amendment to burn crosses, I think a serious mistake. It is inconceivable that the burning of crosses would be permitted Amist College. So now I raise the question, why would it be legitimate for people come out in a mass meeting to say that the Jews have to be cleared out of the Palestine, not that the Palestinians are being ruled without their consent, because being ruled out with art that consent without three elections in Gaza and the Palestinian authority. It's that Israel's occupied because there are Jews living there. And so what we're telling you is we think that this savage killing of parents in front of their children, the beheading of bab, we think that is a justified move for the sake of clearing, of making Palestine uten free. I don't understand why that would be permitted any more than the burning of crosses on the canvas. Now on another day, we might say, look, even Justice Black greats of defender freedom, did not think it's legitimate to have a mass meeting outside of a court room, live the impression any decision there would be effected. A mass meeting is simply a mass meeting. A college can say, look, a mass meeting is simply a mass meeting. If you have an argument to make, let's get together and have a teaching as we used to have teachings, make an argument and confront people on the other side. It's it's it could be it's a moment where the colleges, the university is gonna have to face up to something and ask themselves just how serious is it to have a critical portion of the students really making the case for genocide on the campus. It would be inconceivable doing that about blacks. So what is getting in the way of their reasoning about this.
Speaker 1: Matter, Professor Arcus?
Speaker 2: Everybody where can folks go to follow more of the work that you're doing the James Wilson Institute.
Speaker 3: Oh, thanks for the thanks for the thanks for that book. It's called the Date James Wilson Institute, named after one of the premiere minds of the founders, James Wilson in Philadelphia doesn't remember this first Supreme Court who doesn't get enough celebration. So it's you could you could just dial me have le Arcus or the James Wilson Institute James Wilson Institute dot org, and you'll be filled in on everything we're doing, everything we're publishing. Oh, there's my new book, Mere Natural Law. It's like Sam Goldwin's O line. We said, I don't care if I make a nickel on this movie as long as every Man, Woman and the Child the Country season. Okay, So it's Mere Natural Law done by Regnery. And the point is we're talking about nothing theoretical, nothing abs true, talking about those maxims of common sense that ordinary people not only grasp readily, just have to understand just in getting on with the business of life. That's the pitch of the book. I don't I don't. I don't see enough. I don't see enough of you. Why don't you get to DC or I get to get down there to Miami with.
Speaker 2: I'll do better that I'll and I we have our own uh we well, we have a studio in d C. We have studios in a lot of places, so we're gonna come. I mean, yeah, you know, it's kind of a thing. We we we inherited a lot of studios, so a lot of studio space and uh and and stations.
Speaker 1: So we're very grateful.
Speaker 2: But we'll come up to d C because we're going to do something in the fall with a whole bunch of members of Congress and with the election coming up, so we'll bring you in studio, Professor Arcis. We'll have you in studio to see everybody just fall in d C. And certainly let me know.
Speaker 3: I don't yeah, I don't want to embarrass you. I'm just so proud of you of what you've been doing.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so kind. Thank you.
Speaker 3: You've been doing so beautifully, Park you, thank you. You're so fluent and clear and you're just up on everything.
Speaker 1: That's very kind. Yeah, I really I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: You know, if if I'm able to help save America, you are the the sense or the shadoshi that taught me my ninja ways for those who are fans of martial arts films, so there you go, or the uh, the you know, the karate the karate kid had to learn from some addy, so there you go. You're the guy who taught me wax on wax off, mister Miagi himself, mister Miyagi or Hadley Arkis, same idea anyway, Professor Arkis, thank you so much for the kind words.
Speaker 1: Great to have you. Well, we'll talk to you soon