Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our one on this Wednesday, Dan and the dan Ets, Dan Patrick show fully loaded seatons back, Fritzie of course, the Minister of Humor, Marvin and Paulie in the front row, the Brgs in yours truly, Charles Barkley coming up next hour, and we'll talk to Hall of Famer Steve Young. The Bucks beat the Thunder. It's the cop and it's over the Bucks over the Thunder. They dominate them ninety seven eighty one. It doesn't happen very often that the Thunder don't score one hundred points. But give credit to the Bucks. They played well. They've kind of righted the ship here with Dame and Giannis, and maybe they'll be one of the teams to beat come playoff time. The big news, though, the Falcons benched Kirk Cousins. Michael Pennix Junior third will get his first start a home game against the Giants. I understand it. I said that they should do it. I thought they should have done it two weeks ago. But they let Kirk Cousins almost play his out of this position, and they make the decision to bring in Michael Pennix and I like it.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's not ready. We're gonna find out.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 2: It helps with a softer landing at home against the Giants, which I like that strategy as well. But Kirk Cousins played his way out of a starting role and maybe playing his way out of Atlanta. Bigger picture, you got three games to go and you're a game behind Tampa, and you decide to bench the guy that you brought in because you needed somebody who was better than Desmond Ritter, who could help this team a lot of talent make the playoffs, and they were going as scripted. Then all of a sudden the last five weeks and he's getting benched after a win. Granted they scored fifteen points against the Raiders, they held on to win fifteen to nine, but Michael Pennix, and by the way, Michael Pennix is it Michael Vick he's a pocket passer. Just to let people know who maybe don't remember seeing him when he was at Washington or Indiana. He is a pocket passer. So it's not like, oh, he gives you a change of pays that Kirk didn't have. Well, he's got to be more mobile than Kirk. I might be Kirk's thirty six, thirty seven years of age. And now you start to extrapolate and go all right, bigger picture, here are they going to move on from Kirk Cousins. Well, let's see how Michael Pennix plays, because you can look at best case, worst case scenario. You bench Kirk Cousins, and if Michael Pennix doesn't play well, now you have a problem. But if Michael Pennix plays well, you still have a problem with that salary cap. You know that dead cap money. I'm probably gonna get hit with forty million dollars. This isn't quite as bad as Russell Wilson, but you know, the Falcons will probably try to get out from underneath this contract. What are the numbers, PAULI.
Speaker 5: Kirk Cousins was paid already sixty two million for this season. If they cut him at any point in the offseason, they owe him twenty seven million for the following season. But then it's over, so that it would be over after this upcoming year.
Speaker 2: And you'd have Pennix on that rookie deal since he's a first first round pick, so you've got him for five years. Here depending on if you bring somebody else in, can you keep Kirk Cousins on the roster. So there's a lot of things that play here in the final three games, and I think the tough game they have of the three they got the Commanders. Tampa doesn't have a tough stretch with their three games, and they're playing really well. Buccaneers are a dangerous team right now with the way they've played. Atlanta not so much. But I agree I would have brought in Michael Pennix. Now I'm surprised with three games to go and you're bringing in a rookie. That surprised me a little bit that they would make that decision, but I agree with it. I would put him in. Let's see what you get. Sometimes just having somebody different in there and you know, in the huddle, throwing the ball, whatever it might be, it's just, hey, let's just get let's just try, because you know what you're getting with Kirk here. One touchdown pass and nine interceptions in the last five games. That's bengeable. Now, if you had somebody like Andy Dalton, I think they would have made this decision. Maybe a week ago, maybe two weeks ago. You got Michael Pennings junior and you're going to put him now. He played playoff football at Washington so and he's been with two different schools and he's you know, played for national championship. So you know, there's a lot of great things with him, and I do like him. I didn't like that they made the decision to draft him. If you were going to bring in Kirk, Cousins said that at the time, I think they stole him, if you want to use that in quotations. I think the Raiders were going to take him and they decided, you know what, Kirk's going to be our quarterback for two years and then we get our quarterback after that. Well, they've sped up the process here because Kirk has not played well.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, that's our streaming partner. Download the app if you haven't done so, you can watch the program all thirteen cameras that are put in play each day. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, The official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show, Hottest Rookies' Biggest Superstars, the all time greats. The only place to collect them all Panini Trading Cards, The official trading cards of the program, instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts, and more. Start a continue collection now at Paniniamerica dot net.
Speaker 3: Come up with a poll.
Speaker 2: Question, play of the day, stat of the day, all of that forthcoming. But the big news with the Falcons as they go into this game with the Giants, the Bucks win the Cup.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: The Commissioner, Adam Silver did meet with a small group of reporters talking about the sport moving forward. There was talk about the three point line. He seems to be content where the game is and he said, yes, ratings are down for cable TV or down streaming numbers. I don't follow that, but I'm sure he's all over that and probably likes the impressions they're getting on social media. But it feels like this is like late night TV, because it used to be you stayed up and you watch Johnny Carson or Letterman Lenno. Now you just get a clip that you'll see the next morning. And that feels like that's what the NBA is becoming. It's just a viral clip that you'll see the next day. You might not stay up and watch the entire game or half of the game. I don't know how much you watched the Cup last night, and maybe the NBA is fine with that. Hey it's just look at this highlight here, a couple of highlights here. But Adam Silver seemed content, I guess that. And I don't know if he'd use that word, but it sounded like that with his comments of where the game is and where the game is going. And they're still trying to figure out this All Star Game and now like Kevin Durant says, let's go back to East versus West, Well, you guys did that and you screwed it up. So there is no fix for the All Star Game. Like they're trying to change a format here, and you're going to have the young players playing and the Friday night and if you win and then you're involved, and then now there's four teams involved in the All Star Game.
Speaker 7: Yes, there's like one fundamental flaw in everything with the All Star Game and fixing it, and that you're trying to make something matter that doesn't matter. There's no reason for the All Star Game to matter. It's just supposed to be fun. It's just supposed to be like, hey, look at this fun exhibition that they're doing. There's no reason for it to be that important.
Speaker 2: Well, they're trying to just so it doesn't become I don't even know how to describe it where it's just sort of making a mockery of the All Star Game that it's it's not even basketball. It's just sort of a pickup game that's televised.
Speaker 7: Basketball doesn't even really basketball now the All Star Game is even less basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't know if we care. If it's fixable. Like slam dunk contest, I'm not interested. I'll watch the three point shooting contest. I've been saying for a long time. I would have former players with a current player. I'd have Del Curry with Steph Curry. I'd have Steve Kerr with Steph Curry. You know, if you wanted to do that, or Klay Thompson, not his dad, Michael Thompson, but you get Ray Allen shoots threes. That to me would be fun. If you want to incorporate the WNBA, that's fun as well, as long as the NBA players are fine with that, because they have more to lose if they lose the shooting contest. But you want to put Sabrina out there, Caitlin Clark. It's ratings gold. But you know, the NBA has to look at are you developing your stars. The biggest names in the sport are still Lebron, Steph and Kad. That's a big issue because if I look at the NFL, well maybe that's not even fair with the NFL. Looking at baseball, you know your biggest names Otani, Aaron Judge. You're going to put one Soto in there, so he's younger. You got to have young stars. Anthony Edwards has all the makings of a young star, Wembin Yama has all the makings of being a big star. But they're not there yet. Steph, Katie, Lebron still there. And I think as you grow your league, you want another generation to grow with those superstars or potential superstars. That to me, that would be front burner's stuff of how do we get these You know, they have to be part of the everyday vernacular where you're asking about them, you're talking about them, and maybe it's not fair to compare them to Steph, Katie and Lebron. Those are three of the top ten fifteen players of all time and personalities and I think that's what you're trying to get. You want relevancy, and I think that's part of the NBA's problem with me. It's not really relevant. Sometimes they tried to create this the NBA Cup and okay, what hey, they're playing for extra money. That doesn't excite me. Hey they're really caring about the and that doesn't excite me. Then we wait till Christmas. But then the NFL just big footage on Christmas. You got bowl games coming up. These are actual bowl games that mean something. See, this is where you got it. There's only so much room, and you got to find your place. You got to find your space on the mantle where you go. Wait a minute, where are you going to put us?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: They're playing, you know, bowl games on Friday night. It's all the way through here into January, so it's pretty tough. And then you've got playoff football with the NBA. Then you got March Madness, So you're really trying to carve out your little piece of the pie here.
Speaker 7: Yes, how much of is of it is stars being developed or stars just happen? I mean, like the like, there wasn't a big game plan to let's create Michael Jordan. He sort of happened, right, Steph happened.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to think of who the league, how do they elevate people into being stars or are you just waiting for another start to drop in your lap?
Speaker 2: Well, Jalen Brunson, it feels like they're trying to make him more of a star with the Knicks. Anthony Edwards, it feels like should be John Morant, you know, kind of screwed up his timeline. Zion what's Zion Williamson?
Speaker 8: Like? What is he?
Speaker 3: Who is he?
Speaker 2: The fact that you can trade for a guy that we thought, oh my gosh, he's the next Charles Berkley, He's not so I That's that's the hard part of really like baseball has Paul's scheme. They've they've done a great job in being able to showcase him. Now granted he has to be great, be different. And I see what you're saying, Like Lebron and Katie and Steph are all unique, but who is that next guy? Like Joker is unique. I just don't think he's musty TV even Luca, like Luca, Luca and Jokich they're passing is what I love to watch. They can both score, but they can get fifty. And it's not like you go, damn, did you see you can get fifty and then you can get fifty?
Speaker 9: Yes, Marv, you don't think jok is musty TV. No, really, No, he does to me. He does for me, okay.
Speaker 2: For me, But I don't think like if I'm twenty two years of age, eighteen sixteen, I go, I'm watching Anthony Edwards or John Morant or somebody who does something that you don't normally see. And Joker, as wonderful as he is, I just don't think you go, hey, I've got to tune in to watch him. I usually catch up with what he's doing because there'll be highlights. Then I'll go look at the box score and I'll go, oh, damn, he's the MVP.
Speaker 3: He's the best player in basketball.
Speaker 9: Yes, Ma, but I thought he'd be your cup of tea because he has a real Bill Walton type of game with no.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 2: I once again, I'm I'm take me out of the equation. Yes, because I'm hell. I watch the Wizards so well, I do, and the Hornets.
Speaker 8: You got an issue?
Speaker 3: I do? I do, yes, Pauline, But the Joker is.
Speaker 5: To be appreciated. He's like going to an art gallery. You appreciate what he does. It may not be pure entertainment, like the highlights don't play on Sports Center and play on social media, but he his game is to be appreciated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you'll watch him and he'll make a highlight. And it's usually a pass, I mean.
Speaker 7: A rebound and a base full he court baseball pass to somebody who dunks it.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 2: Now, now baseball has gotten to the point where it's a strikeout, our home run. And so those are clips. You don't have to watch a game. You can get they'll download you and say, oh, they had fifteen strikeouts and this guy hit three home runs.
Speaker 3: Now that's baseball.
Speaker 2: By the way, baseball had a study I think they I don't know how long the study was, but they realized if you throw really hard, there's a better chance that you'll hurt your arm.
Speaker 3: I could have saved them some money just saying it was.
Speaker 2: Like a sixty page document that said if you throw harder that you have a better chance of hurting your arm.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: So if you drive faster, you're more likely to get in a car.
Speaker 2: Accident or get a ticket, you get it more likely to get a ticket. I went, oh my gosh, all right, we're just getting started. We're all over the place. College bull season is underway. Oh is it ever? You've got a couple of games to I the Boca Ratone Bull and the Art of Sport La Bull brought to you by Gronk.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tom, oh.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I heard that they're gonna do something very pop tart related where a big matza guy comes out and then the winning team gets to eat pieces of the matsa.
Speaker 8: Is that true with the Boca ratone Ball? Maybe an awful rumor?
Speaker 3: Are you profiling?
Speaker 8: I may be a little bit.
Speaker 11: You are, a lot of my fellow Jewish friends like to go to live in Boka to retire. So I thought maybe they'd have Jewish concessions. Maybe a little g filter fish potato lot is something something nice?
Speaker 8: Okay, little chucolate honakah gilt, the little chocolate money. We all love that. Everybody knows that.
Speaker 2: Okay, that a giant dradl and the.
Speaker 7: I got the thought planning the flag is like the spinning the drade on on the logo.
Speaker 3: You can't do that where else would you do that?
Speaker 8: But the Boca ratone ball. That's what you do. If you don't do it there, you're never gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Can you can you plant the Honkka candles?
Speaker 8: I think you can. You can put a little aura in the middle there.
Speaker 11: And some of the players want to where Yamaca is instead of helmets, which is very dangerous.
Speaker 8: That is not going to be good for brain protection.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 8: I suggest you are at actual.
Speaker 7: Help bringing out the oil.
Speaker 6: This is getting up.
Speaker 8: Somebody's getting snipped.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, a brisk Yeah, that's it. Halftime.
Speaker 11: Yeah, for those who don't know the oil, does the little snip snip of the little cutting of the of the little boys little pecker region.
Speaker 7: Little pecker region, keeping suggestive, take a break the LPR, as Oyles call it. Yeah, the little little Packer region. Yes, yeah, I work primarily in the LPR.
Speaker 8: It's a circumcision, basically, that's what's going on. That's the word. I was looking for a circumcise at the poker A tone baw live at halftime. Line up, all the boil, all the little boys that were just born.
Speaker 2: Take a break, okay, Charles Sparksley in an hour from now, Steve Young a little later on phone calls, settle on a pole, question back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 4: So check us out.
Speaker 12: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 4: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 12: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five.
Speaker 4: To seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 12: And if you miss any of a live show, just search Kobe on Rich wherever you get your podcast and of course on social media.
Speaker 4: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Got to come up with the pole question for the first hour. Two games coming up. This segment, we'll do the fill in the blank, and we're going to play with guess where Kirk Cousins will end his career seemed to escalate quickly there. Seaton has an idea of where he thinks Kirk Cousins will end up, and our job is to guess Seatan's guests of where Kirk Cousins wentd up. Also the fill in the blank, we'll have that for you eight seven to seven three DP. Show operator Tyler sitting by to take your phone calls.
Speaker 3: Yes, seton.
Speaker 7: The game is called guess the guests. Guess the guess You guys are going to guess the guests that I have Okay, y, yes, guess the guests YEP.
Speaker 3: Trademark pole question for the first hour. Did we settle on one?
Speaker 7: We haven't even really talked about one. In the Falcon's decision to bench Kirk Cousins. Is smart or desperate?
Speaker 2: M Mmm, I must say I was going to say desperately smart, but yeah, it's kind of both.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think it's smart.
Speaker 7: It just seems so odd to me that you bench the veteran quarterback after a win because we're trying to make a push for the playoffs, so let's give the guy who hasn't played it the chance.
Speaker 3: It's either going to be great or disaster. It is, Yes, it'd be its.
Speaker 7: Games worth watching now. Yes, I can tell you that I wasn't tuning in before, but now I will.
Speaker 3: Falcons Giants.
Speaker 2: I didn't think that would be on my BINGO card that I'd be watching that must TV most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 3: The Falcon.
Speaker 7: Early mm C O t W O t W and.
Speaker 2: Then they're at Washington and then they got Carolina. What is the betting line for the Giants and the Falcons?
Speaker 5: It has not changed night Falcons giving eight to the Giants.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, all right, we'll get phone calls coming up.
Speaker 3: Let's play fill in the blank.
Speaker 2: Fill in the blank, all say something and then you fill in the blank.
Speaker 3: Tod I like this game. The Falcons are blank.
Speaker 8: The Atlanta falcons are transitioning Atlanta. Falcon's a transition. That's a big word, Seaton.
Speaker 7: Is it just one word or can it be a phrase?
Speaker 3: I would like one word.
Speaker 7: Okay, can you squeeze chasing your tail into one word? Yes, Their falcons are chasing their tail. Judge, you say, dang chasing your tail? Yeah, Marvin, the falcons are blank.
Speaker 8: Moving on.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: All the falcons are gonna be fine, gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: The falcons are the falcons.
Speaker 7: Dang, they are who we thought they were.
Speaker 8: That is not a compliment.
Speaker 2: I know. Hey, this isn't a complimentary blank. It's just a blank.
Speaker 3: Kirk Cousins career is blank. Todd.
Speaker 8: Kirk Cousins career is lucrative.
Speaker 2: He is first team All Lucrative, Mount Rushmore. He has done an unbelievable job. Smokes Seaton, no counter. Kirk Cousins career is fascinating.
Speaker 5: Marvin well Off, Paul, Foundering not floundering. Floundering was when you fail at something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Foundering is like a boat that's taking on water.
Speaker 2: Oh nose an expense, maybe a yacht? Checking on how much is Kirk the Cousins made?
Speaker 5: Are we putting a game inside a game, Yes, salary.
Speaker 7: Just before guess the guess just after.
Speaker 3: No, man, we do this. We're going to salary.
Speaker 13: Salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, smart salary svary.
Speaker 2: Alright, need, it's not salary, it's salary. It's a game within the game of how much money is Kirk d. Cousins made, including his salary this year?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 5: He in his rookie year, Kirk Cousins made eight hundred and sixty two thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Tod We'll start with you.
Speaker 8: Three hundred and eighteen point seven million dollars.
Speaker 7: All right, seat O'Connor. I'm gonna say two seventy five. That would be two hundred and seventy five million dollar, Marvin four hundred million. I'm going to go to ninety seven to seven.
Speaker 5: Two hundred and ninety four million dollars this year.
Speaker 7: M h A little close, but you went over. Oh ow uh that's a healthy living.
Speaker 2: Did did everybody do their Kirk Cousins career is blank? But except for me, Kirk cousins career is envious, really envious. Yes, housa.
Speaker 3: The money, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And he's gotten to be a starting quarterback for quite some time.
Speaker 3: For a fourth round draft pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the NBA All Star Game is blank, Todd.
Speaker 11: Desperate in prences like the NBA Cup.
Speaker 3: Comes back to the Cup Seaton. NBA All Star Game is.
Speaker 7: In a word, spoken about way too much, Marvin in Flux.
Speaker 3: Okay, Paul ignorable. The NBA All Star Game is over. It's just over. Is a thing doesn't matter?
Speaker 8: Yes, marm So do you think it's Pro Bowl esque? Yes? Like you want to be named an All Star? Yes, you don't want to play in the game.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you can't cancel it. You know, you gotta have it. It still brings people in.
Speaker 3: Which is great. That's fine. I just don't too.
Speaker 2: I can't even remember the last time I watched more than five minutes of it, because if you two, it doesn't matter which five minutes you're wanted. It's pretty much the same thing. Hey, there's a long pass and there's a dunk.
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 8: Was this the theme song last time you watched it?
Speaker 9: Akima Elija on Charles Barkley, Mark Price, This Sunday the NBA All Star Game on NBC.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Mark.
Speaker 2: Okay, now do we have another game here? Oh yeah, oh yeah, this is guess the guess Guess the guess. Seaton says he knows where kirk Cousins will be next year.
Speaker 3: Todd guess the guests.
Speaker 8: Kirk Cousins is going to be a Cleveland Brown next year.
Speaker 7: Sheepers, creepers. What better way to double down on one massive mistake by making a second or third massive mistake?
Speaker 3: Marvin guess the guests.
Speaker 8: Kirk Cousins will be in Indianapolis.
Speaker 2: Colt, Oh, that's a great guy, Paul kirk Cousin, since will beware Fox Sports.
Speaker 3: Studio studio host.
Speaker 2: Hey, Kurt Cousins will be a Carolina Panther.
Speaker 3: Your seatons Cash.
Speaker 7: Nobody got it, although there were a couple of really, really really good guesses. This team right now, I believe has the number one overall pick this year, and he'll be on the bench watching them this weekend against the Giant. I think he ends up as a New York Football Giant next year. And I don't think that they take a quarterback this year in the drift their bonus pick. Who are they taking number one overall?
Speaker 2: They don't need to take a quarterback. If you've got Tommy de Viteo, guys, Tommy Salami, you don't need a quarter back.
Speaker 3: Okay, yep, so they'll just take Travis Hunter number one overall, that's it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they take Travis Hunter and then they have Kirk Cousins for a year while they wait. Maybe do they like I don't have a rhyme for tank for arch Manning, But are they fanning for Manning? Are they? I don't know what it is, but that is the order of events that happened.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, I think I like Seaton's rationale. Here the Giants right now. Whether I pick one or two, you could start over with cam Ward, or you get Travis Hunter, Malik Neighbors and the best quarterback next year, and you may have to not pay Kirk Cousins because Atlanta will be paying him.
Speaker 3: Still, Okay, that works.
Speaker 5: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but here's the problem that I have with it. There's no guarantee that you're going to have the worst team next year and that you'll get arch Manning. I feel pretty good that next year, but you got to be It's not hey, you got to get your get a quarterback, it's do you think that's the right quarterback for you? There have been drafts down through the years, over the decades that you go, well, let's get a quarterback here. Wait is it the right quarterback for your system? And some of these teams that go, you go, we got to get our quarter we got a quarterback.
Speaker 3: Silly.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: See, it's a little bit like what not to go, like completely off on a side tangent. But Caleb Williams dad got a lot of heat for saying that the draft process is flawed, that you have that the best players going to the worst teams, and that that maybe necessarily that doesn't always lead to the most success. That feels kind of like what you're saying a little bit yeah, like like you.
Speaker 2: The Giants could accidentally win a game and then all of a sudden they drop down to the second pick next year, and then they don't get arch Manning, Like I wouldn't. I wouldn't base my team's future on another season of being bad, because we've seen teams where you go, man, I didn't think they were going to be this good, or boy, I didn't think they were gonna be this bad.
Speaker 7: But when you're looking at the pieces say that the Giants need or don't need, it doesn't feel like they're only a piece or two away from being really good.
Speaker 8: Next year?
Speaker 2: Does it No? Well, okay, I got to find out who their quarterback. If you say Kirk Cousins is their quarterback, well, to me, that's an upgrade over Daniel Jones. Does that mean they win four games next year? Five games next year? I just as they see here might get.
Speaker 7: You in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: But if they were in the NFC, so they could a couple of phone calls in here. Let's see Jason in Atlanta? Hi, Jason, how's morale down there?
Speaker 8: Listen?
Speaker 3: We've never been halfier? DP five eleven.
Speaker 6: Michael Tennis junior third.
Speaker 8: Is on the way.
Speaker 6: It's a new day in Atlanta. I got a question for you. It wasn't gonna work day one. And people would tell me, Oh, he's a great gosh, he's got such morality, and I'm like, in Atlanta, we don't need another pastor. We need a pastor, and he clearly couldn't do that. Yesterday you were talking about college coaches giving money back. Is there any chance DP that we can get some money back from Kirk Cousins because we desperately need the money.
Speaker 2: You know, Kirk probably gives a lot of money to charity knowing him, but I don't know if he's going to be along the lines of Mike Gundhi at Oklahoma State or Mike Norvell at Florida State where they're going to give money back. Brian Kelly at LSU. It would be an interesting process there. Now, these players who ask for more money get more money than if they don't live up to their contract, they don't give any money back. But if a player asked for money, doesn't get the money and then outperforms his contract, then he asks for that money and then normally gets it. But interesting interesting times with college coaches giving money back or giving it to the collective. Now, is that a charitable donation? If a coach gives money back to the school, like, that'd be the first thing that I would say if I might gun to at Oklahoma State, It's like, I gotta give back a couple of million dollars. How can I give this back and get a write off? I spend a lot of money on my hair. I gotta believe that there has to be a charitable donation that you can give your money back. But yeah, they're giving you know, flor State, he's given back four million dollars, I think.
Speaker 8: But he keeps his job.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's like, here are your options, young man.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I would give back four million dollars if I kept my job, depending on how much money I made. You know, if he's making four million, then I might have a problem with it.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, maybe that could be a new thing in America in lieu of firing people. You say, and they do this people at our old network, we're off for this. You take a huge pay cut or we have to fire.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Kenny Maine went through that. They're like, we're gonna cut you sixty percent. Do you want your job? And then you decided that he didn't. All right, let me take a break and we'll get to more phone calls.
Speaker 8: Coming up.
Speaker 2: Update our poll results, Charles Barkley Next Hour, Play the Day Up Next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Oh My God, No Play of the Day Lives.
Speaker 14: God Play on the Day, Check this out Action Open to your Bike, lowpas on the screen, but Dorkstay's went beats to shoot Now Yatis driving spinning. Gotta get rid of the Basketball gets it a Trent quick passive Lillard.
Speaker 3: Fillard leads to his lack.
Speaker 1: Fires away for Poe Tenny kansit Damian Lillard.
Speaker 4: This Smith three pointer of the game.
Speaker 2: Over the last three weeks, Dame is forty one for ninety from three point range, almost forty six percent the Bucks twelve and one all time in NBA Cup games. That's courtesy of Bucks Radio Network. Brought to you by tire rack dot Com, the official tire expert of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to tire rack dot com slash Dan, Try the tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Pirelli tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tire rack dot Com The Way tire buying should be. This in from ESPN's Pete Thamil. The Ivy League has agreed to participate in the NCAA Division One FCS playoffs starting next season. The league had long ended its season at the end of the regular season. This marks a distinct shift for IVY League Football, which can now play for the FCS title and they get an automatic bid into the playoffs.
Speaker 10: Good.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: Like watching IVY League football and get in there against Man. It feels like the FCS, it's basically Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota. You want to see great football, You've got South Dakota, South Dakota State, you got North Dakota State, and you got Montana in there. I believe it's Montana, is it Montana or Montana State?
Speaker 5: Montana State?
Speaker 2: And Bozeman, Okay. So that's this weekend. That's their final four. But according to ESPN, the IVY League is getting back in the mix.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: I hate when you know, you see these leagues and there's nothing really to play for. You might win a league championship, and in the IVY League that's really important that you want to see them be able to extend their season. You know, it comes down to you know, Harvard Yale is their big game for those those two schools. Now you get a chance maybe to play for a national championship.
Speaker 3: So it's good.
Speaker 2: Paulie says that he has a long term bet, and I said, well, we're only doing the show for three more years. Will this payoff one way or another in the next three years?
Speaker 3: Your long term bet?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think this one would be a year and two months from now. A year we were talking about Arch Manning as possible top pick of the twenty twenty sixth draft.
Speaker 7: Would that be correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, this year's twenty twenty five Okay.
Speaker 5: He will not be in that draft. He'll be in the twenty twenty seven draft. He's gonna play two years as a starter at Texas. I don't think he joined that place and is going to wait two years to play one. I bet he stays two full years as a starter and enters a twenty twenty seven draft. Who wants a piece.
Speaker 7: I'll jump in on that. Although I see what you're saying, and I think you're probably right, But just to stick with my earlier prediction, I'll jump in on that bet.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right?
Speaker 3: Fair enough? Balls to the ball?
Speaker 7: Yeah, man to the Mannings?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of the balls.
Speaker 7: Hm hmm.
Speaker 3: Maybe Arche can pick the punishment for you guys.
Speaker 7: Remember when we had that. I think Ross Tucker brought in the that like football cannon thing.
Speaker 3: It fired.
Speaker 2: I still have it. It's all the way in the back in the garage.
Speaker 7: It doesn't quite roll off the tongue this way. But one of those to the balls that should be the.
Speaker 8: I'll do it. I'll do it with a cup.
Speaker 2: I'll I'll do it for fun, Yes, cannon balls, Okay, all right, fair enough, we'll dust that thing off.
Speaker 3: We'll bring it in.
Speaker 2: In fact, when we take a break top of the hour, get that thing and I don't throw anything away.
Speaker 3: Got everything I see.
Speaker 7: That's definitely a keeper. That thing I think is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michael Vick, it's official going to Norfolk State, and I get it in that area, Mike still a big name and having name recognition for a school small school, get a chance to maybe bring some players in that maybe you wouldn't be able to recruit. Okay, I wouldn't buy in the Sacramento State, Michael Vick. I didn't get the connection there, because if you want to go into the Pac twelve, I think you want to be buttoned up.
Speaker 8: I don't.
Speaker 2: And in fairness to Mike, I know he's turned his life around, but that felt like that was leaked for a benefit of Michael Vick or Sacramento State.
Speaker 3: Somebody gave it that information to Adam Schefter.
Speaker 2: Feels like, now, maybe there's a deep connection there, but Mike in his hometown or home area, home state, that to me makes more sense than him going to Sacramento State. You want to get in the Pac twelve. I don't know if that's necessarily the best route. Yes, Pauling, you want to get me to tune in. You know how they had that spring football game on college campuses. Let's say Norfolk State Spartans have a spring game. You know, Michael Vick's on the scout team. Oh, have him suit up. Yeah, It's it's like JJ Reddick still the best shooter on the Lakers. You know, Mike Vick would still be the best quarterback. Tom Brady is still the best quarterback with the Raiders organization.
Speaker 3: It's one of those where it's like, damn, all right, get a couple.
Speaker 2: Of phone calls in here, Tubsy in Chicago, Hey, Tubsy, Hey Dan, first.
Speaker 15: Time, long time five nine five. Hey, you guys were all talking yesterday about the three point shot, and it got me thinking. And I apologize if you've discussed this before, but I never have liked the fact that the three point line is a different distance depending upon where you're standing on the court. What are your thoughts on if you just made the three point line the same distance and had the arc actually end at the edge of the court, effectively eliminating the corner three, which would make it easier to defend one and probably two a lot less three point shots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's been brought up before, but thank you for the phone call that maybe you just have it end. It doesn't go all the way into the corner. There have to be guys who their feet are too big to be able to fit in to that little spot in the corner. If you've ever been to an NBA arena and gone to the corner, there's not a lot of room over there. Shaq could not shoot a three, and you don't want Shaq shooting a three. But I don't know if I could get his feet in that area there.
Speaker 9: Yes, Marvin Hou's PJ Tucker going to have a career if he can doesn't have a corner three.
Speaker 8: What good is he? That's not nice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Klay Thompson's a corner three guy too, he is, Yes, he is. Uh Sean in Florida, Hi, Sean, what do you have for for me today?
Speaker 10: Hey Dann, Hey boys. Wanted to say Merry Christmas to you guys first and foremost, and second, I'm feeling like James in Virginia over here with the way the bucks and the Gators have been playing that big win over UNC last night. I know that the Cup was on through might have not caught any college basketball, but that was a really good game by the Gators, and Baker's making you guys have a great day.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you, Sean. Yeah, watch a little bit of North Carolina, Florida. But of course the Cup was on because it's the Top Cup and the Scooter's Coffee Bowl with Memphis in West Virginia, which actually was a pretty good game. And I did joke that they were going to pour hot coffee on the winning coach.
Speaker 3: They had ice.
Speaker 2: Coffee that they poured on the coach. But this is what they do with Gatorade, So what's the difference. Gatorade's cold, I have ice coffee on the coach.
Speaker 8: There.
Speaker 2: All right, update the pull results if you can Seaton from the first hour of the program. Charles Barkley will join us in about a half hour from now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got up there right now. Most awkward quarterback situation in the NFL, so once from Paul if Falcons, Browns, Vikings, forty nine ers. Okay, Jets could have made that list, but we only have room for four options. Okay, right now, the Falcons with forty seven percent of that vote leading. That's recency bias, though that's not the right answer. Yes, we'll explore that a little deeper.
Speaker 2: Coming up next hour, one Hour in the Books on this Wednesday, Fritzy Seaton, Marv Paula Years, Truly, Charles Barkley in the on deck circle. Hope you'll join us as well our two Dan Patrick Show