Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 3: Become a member today and you'll access to our.
Speaker 2: Full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com. Good morning, everybody, Happy Monday. Is it Monday? I think it's Monday? All right, Happy Monday. We have an amazing show of everybody today.
Speaker 4: What do we have?
Speaker 1: Did we do?
Speaker 3: Welcome back, sir, Thank you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've missed you guys too, I really have. It's been it's been. It's been an experience any new parent. I was just regaling, Crystal, I've been tracking all of my sleep metrics and everything.
Speaker 2: It's been.
Speaker 1: It's been devastating, but it's all worth it. It is. I have a beautiful daughter at home. Thank you to my incredible wife, to the team here for covering for me, for both the in laws. Everybody's been stepping up very much at home, so it's been an amazing experience. I'll have more to say later. I actually want to do a monologue about all my medical bills, so I think people will enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Are you Are you a Medicare for all guy?
Speaker 5: Yet?
Speaker 1: Not yet, but we're getting there. We're getting close. Yeah, I'll talk about it. You know, we've because we are prepared for one of the bills, you know, but unfortunately my daughter I had to spend some time in the nick you and transfer and all that, and I will go down line by line just to show you. I think people should know what it actually costs if you have a terrible Oh. Absolutely, everybody's fine now, so thank you very much. Thank you to the audience for putting up with it, and Ryan, Emily, everybody in the control room, everybody of the team done an amazing job. But while I was gone, and I'm doing my best over here. So if I have any bad takes, you can just blame it all Oneah.
Speaker 3: Can I get that dispensation?
Speaker 1: Well, yes, absolutely, you should listen, I have more sympathy. Now you should use the parent card ten times.
Speaker 2: More on Well, luckily we have a really light news day, ease back in, nothing that's contentious or difficult to parse through, things that we always agree on, so it should be great. So obviously we're following what's going on in LA. We've got the very latest team was up late pulling, you know, images from last night. Of course, the National Guard has been federalized. Extraordinary things going on there with regards to Trump, so we'll get into all of that. We've also got the latest in the Trump Elon fallout. I am excited to hear from Sager on that particular issue. I'm sure you guys are as well to hear what he is thinking about the whole romance falling apart. We had Cash Mittel on Joe Rogan while the Elon Trump thing was going on, and Elon's out there posting that Trump is on the Epstein list, and Cash Mittel is being confronted like in real time with you know, hey, what's going on there?
Speaker 3: So that's pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: We've got the Trump administration caving on Kilmar Abrego Garcia, although there is a big catch.
Speaker 3: They are charging him. He has been indicted.
Speaker 2: So got all of those details, Jadie vance I went on with the OVONN a number of interesting moments, some of them amusing, some of them revealing. We'll get into that and then we may be able to it's still a little bit up in the air.
Speaker 3: We may be able to.
Speaker 2: Get to the spokesperson for that Gaza Aid flotilla. All the members of that flotilla, including Greta Dunberg, have now been arrested and are being held by the IDF in an Israeli prison. So you know, there are some wild images coming out from there as well. So whether or not we get the spokesperson on, we will cover that and hopefully we'll be able to talk to her and get her take on all of that before we jump in with the latest coming out of LA. You guys have overwhelmed us with your support.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: We've been offering We've gone back to offering the monthly subscription by popular demand and free monthly trial. Go to Breakingpoints dot com, put in BP free, give us a try for a month, See if you enjoy it, see how you feel about it. Sager, I don't know if you're aware of this. Ryan has been threatening to do him's ads.
Speaker 3: We don't see.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think they need some help because they've been RFK Junior has been attacking them. So I guess wait over what, well, I'm it's too complicated. There's all this stuff about like like what is it called generic compounded GLP one, Like they're basically the semic clue tide ozambic, basically the generic semic glue tide, And they're going after companies like Hymns and newm and all these other places. So anyway, we can talk about that later. It's actually an interesting story.
Speaker 2: One of the ones I will so save Ryan from having.
Speaker 1: Hymns ads and finasterize. Is that what it's called. I think it is the Balding medicine. But anyway, thank you. Actually, it has been incredible. I was checking back in I was looking at the numbers. The response has been overwhelming and it is really really incredible to see some of the demands of that. So you can go ahead and sign up. You can breaking points dot com, you can use the promo code. We appreciate you. But let's get to Los Angeles show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's a lot to get into here, So bear with us as we go through what has happened and gotten us to this place, has gone and put these images of unrest. These are all coming from last night out of La County. Trump has for the first time since nineteen ninety two, federalized the National Guard, and this is the first time it's been federalized over the objections of the state governor, for the first time since nineteen sixty five. We're going to talk a lot about the legal pretext here.
Speaker 3: A lot of.
Speaker 2: Legal analysts say that this is illegal. Certainly Gavin Newsom is saying that this is illegal. But you can see here this is just from last night. There were a bunch of waymos that apparently they were like calling the weamos to the protest and then setting the weamos on fire. You know, the Mexican flags flying here. That has become, you know, something that a lot of the right have certainly seized upon. So wild images that you can see in the streets as protesters are clashing with this is largely LAPD. You though the National Guard was brought in yesterday, my understanding is the National Guard mostly stayed around the Federal building here. Obviously you can see these waimos set on fire as well. And so while we continue to roll these images, I can just explain a little.
Speaker 3: Bit of how we got to this place.
Speaker 2: So the Trump administration obviously they ran on mass deportation. They have really up the ante in recent days. Stephen Miller apparently went into an ICE meeting was braiding everybody for focusing on criminals and said, no, you need to go into the workplaces, go into the home depots. And that is exactly what ICE has been doing. So the initial protests kicked off at two locations in and near La. You had a garment manufacturer where there was an ongoing ICE rate, and you had a home depot where ICE was massing, and there was an expectation that there would be a raid. You know, you have migrants who hang out there in the parking lot looking.
Speaker 3: For work, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So protests begin and there's a you know, pretty aggressive response from the LAPD and you have you know, large tensions in the community and you have people that begin to you know, throw rocks back and it just escalates from here.
Speaker 3: Just watch this one clip.
Speaker 2: This is a reporter for Australian News out and crazy footage here you see one of the cops turned directly to her and fire a rubber bullet that hits her directly. So this is in any case, some of what's going on. So after the first night of protests, Trump decides that he is going to send in the National Guard. And the first indicasion we got of this, actually saga was Tom Holman went on before any sort of an announcement had been made and indicated that this was going to happen. And then we in fact got this memo from Trump saying exactly what he was going to do. We can put a two up on the screen here, guys. This is the memo from the White House which calls for bringing in the National Guard. He says, in recent days, violent mobs have attacked ice officers and federal law enforcement agents carrying out basic deportation operations in La California. These operations are essential to halting and reversing the invasion of legal criminals in the US, and the wake of this violence, California's feckless Democrat leaders have completely abdigated their responsibility to protect their citizens. That's why President Trump has signed a presidential memorandum deploying two thousand National guardsmen to address the lawlessness that has been allowed to fester. The Trump administration has a zero tolerance policy for criminal behavior and violence, especially when that violence is aimed at law enforcement officers trying to do their jobs. These criminals will be arrested, swiftly brought to justice. Commander and Chief will ensure the laws of the US are executed fully and completely assigned by Caroline Levitt, White House Press Secretary. Now, notably, he did not actually invoke the Insurrection Act, which would give sort of broader legal justification for using the military against civilians. Goes without saying, these are extraordinary and unusual actions that are being taken. But instead of invoking the Insurrection Act, he used something called Title ten authority. Now, the planeface reading of this appears to require that the governor of the state request or at least consent to the federalizing of National Guard troops under Title ten. Again, the last time that National Guard troops were federalized with the consent of the California governor was in nineteen ninety two to deal with the La riots. You had dozens of people who were killed, billion dollars in property damage. That's the last time that National Guard troops were federalized. The last time that they were federalized over the objection of the state leadership was nineteen sixty five. This was under LBJ to deal with in Caalctor in southern state that did not want to desegregate. So that's the level that we're talking about here. In terms of actions, Trump got asked what he planned and whether he was going to invoke the Insurrection Act. Let's go ahead and take a listen to a little bit of what he had to say here an interviews.
Speaker 3: Don't plan to invote Indirection Act. You planned to send troops a lot of.
Speaker 2: If you're not planning to vote back Insurrection Act, you still plan to send troops.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna have troops everywhere. We're not going to let this.
Speaker 6: Happen to our country.
Speaker 1: We're not going to let our country before to bark like it was a divide and this autopen.
Speaker 3: But the bar for sending marines, the bar what I think it is.
Speaker 6: I mean, if we see danger to our country and to our citizens, and we'll be.
Speaker 1: Very very strong in terms of law and order. It's about law and order.
Speaker 6: Secretary, We're gonna see what we need we'll send whatever we need to make sure of this.
Speaker 3: Law and order.
Speaker 2: And so you hear him. There troops everywhere, and we'll see with regard to the Insurrection Act and the Marines, this was the other piece. We can put a go ahead and skip ahead to A seven and we'll just lay this piece out and then I'll get Sager's reaction here Pete Hagsath floating that they could get the Marines involved. He says the violent mob assaults on ice in federal law enforcement designed to prevent the removal of criminal, illegal aliens from our soil. Under present Trump, violence and destruction will not be tolerated. The Department of Defense is mobilizing the National Guard immediately, and if my continues, active duty Marines at Camp Pendleton will also be mobilized.
Speaker 3: They are on high alert.
Speaker 2: Yesterday evening, CNN reported that there were a number of Marines indeed, who were prepared to deploy. Let's go ahead, guys, and play a seven B.
Speaker 5: I also want to ask you about some breaking news that we're just getting in. This is brand new into our newsroom that the US Northern Command is saying that approximately five hundred active duty Marines are quote prepared to deploy, in their words, as unrest in Los Angeles continues. This is after, of course, the Secretary of Defense Pete Hagseth had mentioned this.
Speaker 3: Is that necessary at this point?
Speaker 2: No, I'm going to be I mean, not operationally, it's not necessary.
Speaker 3: There may be other reasons for it. All right, So there you go.
Speaker 2: So we've also we'll get into in a moment some of the legal analysis the democratic response. But just pause for a second and give you a chance to react.
Speaker 1: Sure. Actually, you know, I don't usually do this, but the New York Times actually had some pretty good analysis of it this morning. They said Trump jumps at a chance for confrontation California immigration. The situation has all the elements that the President's seeks to show down with the top political rival and a deep blue state over an issue court to the agenda. And I think that's probably the best way to look at it. I mean, one of the things that you laid out there was that past reporting about Stephen Miller really pressuring workplace raids as opposed to criminal raids. That was something that immediately followed the reporting in Los Angeles. Los Angeles and New York City are the two of the top targets from ICE. I believe Los Angeles in particular sanctuary city, one that has long kind of you know, held itself up against immigration enforcement. That leads to some of the protests there. What does a paramount I believe California. So then you have the initial kickoff. I mean, my own personal like analysis of it is like it doesn't didn't need didn't seem particularly like necessary to send the National Garden because look, I don't think this is like BLM was. First of all, this is like a lot more protests, a lot more property damage, a lot more like violence. But even beyond that, there was genuine like reluctance to use police forces, and a lot of these blue cities LAPD looks pretty ready to rock and roll, you know. From riving, I was like, yeah, they seem to be okay. But I mean a lot of it really is just downstream of BLM. Reducks for a lot of people on the American right. And also, I mean we have to acknowledge it, like Trump is in a relatively precarious political position, and this is an issue which we'll talk about tomorrow. Some of his polling and all that immigration remains one of his number one core areas. You've got some of those images that you were talking about of burning cars, Mexican flags. I mean, I don't think it takes the political genius to say this is dramatically unpopular. I think in general, what America seems to be sensitive to is who is the more chaotic element. And we talked about this before. I think up until this point, you could very easily assume that the Trump administration was the more chaotic actor in immigration. With the Kilmar Abrego Garcia case, which you're going to talk about a little bit later in the show, we had, you know, Elsa Salvador, some of these extraordinary actions and all this. But in particular, what's happened here is when you see a flip and it goes into rioting into violence, and then you see that law enforcement can seem to have like a moral upper hand, it becomes a lot more dicey. And so that is something that the Trump administration. Part of the reason I think that they wanted an image like this is they really are getting I think a lot of what they want. They're getting the Mexican flags, they're getting the burning in the streets. They're regardless of whether you think, you know, Newsome and Karen Bass are being feckless or not. A lot of people in the Upper Midwest and some of the swing state areas they're gonna think that. I mean, I also would be remiss if I didn't say I know a lot of people in the city of Los Angeles, and they did. A lot of them were texting me and being like, hey, man, if you are covering this, like, please just know that ninety nine point nine percent of us are living our lives and like downtown out LA is a place that like none of us even go. So they're like, just so you're all aware. And you know, I always think that's important to say, like it's like the entire city is not on fire or anything like. This is not Rodney King. In fact, May Day parades are always there's always Mexican flags flying and in La.
Speaker 3: You know, it sounds like people are so concerned about foreign flags.
Speaker 1: Now okay, sure, yeah, I mean listen, should an Israeli flag fly in America?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Should ah?
Speaker 4: What it?
Speaker 1: Should an Israeli flag fly in America? In my opinion, No, you should a Mexican flag fly in this Yeah, I think it's a little guys. I mean, I will say, you know, I don't know really why these people are like they're like addicted to doing some of the most unpopular things possible. I mean, if you saw, you know, if you saw some of the initial Floydian response, like in the early days of Floyd and I'm talking about before the Minneapolis police precinct and all that was burned down and people were peacefully marching in the street. That's very difficult, you know, for people to be able to mobilize against. And this is now entering a situation which I think broadly there is a consensus they're like, this is I think pretty strong footing for Donald Trump. We will see. Of course things are very different though, you know, from that time previously. But by and large, I mean, we should make some of it because it is extraordinary, the threat of the ability to have active duty shouldiers the National Guards at two thousand bus. I don't want to overplay it because there's a lot of people on the Oh my god, this is bl I'm like, no, no, this is not even remote. Yeah, the same this is a relatively you know, thousands of people, Yes, but we're not talking about millions. We're not talking about contagion, you know, spread across the entire city or any of that, And so I do think it's important to contextualize it as well. Like Los Angeles itself, it's mostly fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think all I agree with most of that.
Speaker 2: What I will say is, I mean, to me number one, like Trump was looking for a pretext to have this sort of militarized response for basically his entire ministry. I mean, in day one he signed inn executive order that we covered here of like hey, will you study whether I should invoke the Insurrection Act.
Speaker 3: So he's been looking for a pretext.
Speaker 2: We know last time around he wanted to he wanted to shoot protesters in the knees, and I think it was Esper who was like, you can't do that. Esper and people like that are no longer around him. And to your point, I think the what the right and certainly Trump and his people took from the first administration was we didn't do go far enough, like we weren't wild. And whether it's with the you know, the like crackdown on dissent, or the aggressive response to protests, or the even the economic regime with the tariffs, all of these sorts of things. They took all the guardrails off, and so there is not going to be a Mark Esper in place now to say, hey, we shouldn't. You can't federalize the National Guard over the objections of the governor of California. That's not something that is legal or permissible. And you know, to turn troops on American citizens like that is an extraordinary thing. So you know, to me, the big picture is this is an authoritarian guy. I think you're right to say that. I think he feels a little politically tenuous now, whereas support even on his best issue, which is immigration, has slipped significantly. It's still where he does the best, but it slips significantly, and they were looking.
Speaker 3: For a reason to take exactly this sort of action.
Speaker 2: I also will say, I mean, when you have this kind of chaos in the streets, it is exactly the sort of thing that and somebody with these authoritarian tendencies will seize on to hey, let's expand that Palentier database. Hey let's normalize having the military in the streets for domestic law enforcement.
Speaker 3: And so, you know, for me, that's the most important point.
Speaker 2: But I also agree with you, like the Mexican flag on the burning weimo is such a terrible image optically that I'm like, are.
Speaker 3: These actually sense?
Speaker 2: Like you have to ask the quite because it plays into their hands so perfectly. It is exactly the kind of images that they want to get out, you know, that they want to put out to the public.
Speaker 3: How the public perceives all of this, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not going to speculate, because I do think that there is a sense that Trump is stoking this, that he wants this, that you know, La was doing fine, actually violent crime and these sorts of things were like way down year over year, was doing okay, There was not rioting in the streets before he starts to take extraordinary actions, both with ice and then bringing in the National Guard. How the public will sort through all of this, I don't know, but to me, those are the most significant pieces, And especially when you're floating things like I'm gonna bring in the Marines, I mean, that is complete. That is so unhinged and crazy that is hard to wrap.
Speaker 1: Your head around that if they haven't done it yet, is that they Like I said, whoever, seems like the crazier party is going to get a lot of the blame. And I think the Marines. I mean, that is a genuinely extraordinary step. Two thousand. Look, I mean, we can contextualize it is pretty insane that, you know, for the first time since nineteen sixty five, we're talking about Selma, Alabama, that a National Guard has been mobilized without a governor's action. Yeah, it's also two thousand troops. These are also people not out in the streets. These are people who are around like VA facilities and federal buildings. In fact, from what I've seen, I believe they've only fired like tear gas outside of that. National Guards are the federal federal building. It's mostly la Almost all of the really chaotic images people are watching, that's LAPD. This is like a support mission. This is LAPD and I believe in some cases the Department of Homeland Security. So we'll see how things progress today. I mean, I'm curious actually to see how the protesters on the ground in Los Angeles and perhaps even leaders of these protest movements and all of this are contextualizing it, because from my perspective, it has been kind of interesting to watch. How I mean, I think last time around, like all the memes around mostly peaceful and riot is the voice of the unheard and all that there was like a justification of genuine violence and looting from the very top of the democratic establishment and the media. This time around, this is just not the case. I mean, you know, you're you know, you're criticizing the Mexican flight. Most people are most people are like, what are you guys doing here?
Speaker 2: And so in the certain I don't have a morality issue with it, but I think it's optically.
Speaker 1: But that's but I'm saying, las timerun they wouldn't even admit that last time around. They're like, they wouldn't even admit, hey, you know, maybe you shouldn't loot a Mark Jacob's store, right, They're like, oh, actually it's fine because property damage is not as bad as George Floyd or whatever. Yeah, I mean, I don't hear any of that this time around. I don't see you know, even the left lunatic immigration people on TV being like, actually, this is totally justified. I think you see the stray accounts there here there on Twitter, but you know, a lot of the acab energy and all that, it just it just seems very online and not as enshrined in the mainstream. There's also a big difference from twenty twenty where look, I mean everyone can acknowledge there's been a lot of scientific research on this. Part of the reason the protests were as big as they were is a lot of people were locked in their houses and they were staring at a screen. There was like a mass psychosis that took over the entire country. We could debate, you know, all of that. I've done plenty here, but that's not the case right now. It's what is it June something? You know, it's summer. You know, people are living their lives like broadly, and while people are paying attention to the news. I think people are still upset about the tariffs. That's one of the things I think, really, I don't think we fully internalized how much that tariff forty five day period actually costs Trump in terms of the confidence of the American people and a lot of some of the stress and other things that put we're on businesses and all that, you know, just even my own personal life and being able to talk to people. It's the number one thing I hear about the way that the tariffs disrupt and it's not even about cost increase. It was my job did this. We were worried about this. You cost people, you know, for real, this is a little bit different. And so anyways, watching it closely, obviously it is most an impactful story for how the Trump administration wants to deal with it. It's also, let's be honest, it's a message to the entire country, to New York City, to Chicago, to you know, I'm thinking of any other big blue city. It's a message to them. It's like, if you don't get this shit under control very quickly, you will have the guard federalized in your state immediately. And so in a sense, it is more of a peremptory action from what I can see. And also, like I said at the beginning, Trump is on precarious political fo this is not a good time for him. This is probably the best possible thing that could have happened for him.
Speaker 2: When he yes, the more that this is what I've said before, the more his political standing slips, the more he's going to resort to increasingly authoritarian tactics.
Speaker 3: And I think this is part and parcel with that.
Speaker 2: And you have to put it in the broader context of all of the actions that Trump has taken in office, whether it's you know, trying to bring the media organizations to heal, whether it's the student protester crackdown, whether it's the you know, the Pallenteer surveillance database, all of these actions that he has taken in order to claim control, even the tariffs, you know, tariffs are put into place under this claim that there is some sort of national emergency something that the course are now looking at very skeptically. But all of these things are about crushing dissent, consolidating control, and so yes, they are going to take any pretext that they can to further those goals. I think you're absolutely right that this is a you know, warning to not only to states or localities, it's also a warning to protesters. You know, we have had and not just pro Palestine protesters, like anyone who will protest this administration.
Speaker 3: We've had.
Speaker 2: His counter terrors are go on TV and say, hey, if you don't like Tesla's now, that one may be changing. Now you'll be able to It's okay to let not like Tesla's now. I got jel freedom again.
Speaker 1: That those I bought this before Elon went crazy things, I was like surging in Alabama. Yeah, right, I would love to see Amazon sales data on who's buying those.
Speaker 3: Who's buying those.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, Trump may be sticking one of those Tesla outside the White House. But in any case, so you have the counter terrors are who floated. You know, if you're a domestic terrorist, if you heard of Tesla, you're a domestic terrorist. If you participate in like the hands off protests, your domestic terror. Certainly if you are propeller sign and so they will use anything they can to crush descent and claim power. The fact that it's Gavin Newsom that only fuels the fire. There was some you know, indications that there's been a back and forth, and I think this is part of the context in.
Speaker 3: The background here as well.
Speaker 2: Trump is preparing to strip a lot of federal funding from the state of California, and Gavin Newsom said something in return basically like, hey, you should keep in mind that we are a mass net contributor to taxes. We put in way more federal taxes then we get back, and maybe we should reconsider that relationship.
Speaker 3: And it's you know, just shortly on.
Speaker 2: The heels of him making those comments that this you know, extraordinary action is taken by Trump, which again I just want people to think about the comparison between these protests, which are really pretty especially Day one. You know, now we got cars wearing whatever after the national garget brought in, which I think just heightened the tension and escalated the chaos. But in any case, these are fairly run of the mill protest Like this was nothing. The LAPD with their seven thousand and nine thousand or however many cops they have were unable to handle. Compare that to the LA riots, Right, that was crazy. I mean, there is no comparison here. You had sixty plus people who were killed, who were shot dead, You had I mean whole neighborhood's businesses looted a billion dollars in nineteen ninety two dollars in property damage.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was that was a very different situation.
Speaker 2: And it's also a very different situation from nineteen sixty five when you have Southern states saying we are not going to desegregate, an open defiance of the federal government.
Speaker 3: So, you know, in terms of the the legal standing here, like I said.
Speaker 2: Before, it is noteworthy he hasn't invoked the Insurrection Act, which actually came as a surprise everyone sort of assumed that was what he do because that would allow him the most expansive powers. Instead, they use this Title ten authority, which seems to you know, the legal justification if you read between the lines on the you know, the the legal analyzes that I've been reading, would seem to indicate that they might might be able to get away with this limited support role. And you know, but even that to do it without the governor's consent. Gavin Newsom is clearly, he has stated clearly he believes that it's illegal, and we could put a five B up on the screen here. Let's get a bit of his response. He has formally requested they rescind their unlawful deployment of troops in La County, returned them to my command. He says, we didn't have a problem until Trump got involved, as a serious breach of state sovereignty, inflaming tensions while pulling resources from where they're actually needed. Rescind the order, return control to California. I think this is probably the first step before he actively files suit in order to try to force the courts to require this recision of this order, which he calls unlawful and many many scholars degree is unlawful.
Speaker 3: Let's put a five up on the screen.
Speaker 2: This was his kind of initial reaction and has been the tone that he's been striking. He says, the federal government is moving to take over the California National Guard and deploy two thousand soldiers. That move is purposely inflammatory. We'll only escalate tensions. LA authorities are able to access law enforcement assistance at a moment's notice. We're in close coordination. The Guard has been admirable serving LA throughout recovery. This is the wrong mission and will erode public trust. And Tom Holman has been threatening Gavin Newsom and Karen Bassi is the beyar of LA with potential arrests. So Gavin got asked about this yesterday and here's what he had to say.
Speaker 4: Acts has been here ten years. The fear, the horror, the hell is this guy come after me?
Speaker 1: Arrest me.
Speaker 4: Let's just get it over with. Tough guy. You know, I don't give a damn, but I care about my community. I care about this community. The hell are they doing? These guys need to grow up, They need to stop, and we need to push back. And I'm sorry to be so clear, but that kind of bloviating is exhausting. So Tom, arrest me, Let's go.
Speaker 3: So he says, arrest me, let's go. So you know, he's.
Speaker 2: Certainly coming out very strongly in terms of his rhetoric and pushing back against this. And like I said, I think the letter. That letter is significant because it probably is step one before he officially files suit to try to get court to strike this.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we'll see. I mean, I think a lot of it is. It's interesting even also in terms of the way that they're responding because their response, like I said, I mean, this is part of where I do see democratic leaders acting very differently. They're like, hey, we have all the resources to handle this, right, They're like, we are ready to roll. And again, I mean, look, you can call Karen Bass woke and all. I mean think she has actually been a terrible mayor when we were talking about the LA fires. But in this case, I mean I have not yet seen evidence or anything like that that she's like, tell me the LAPD to stand down or not to enforce the law. I mean, we don't want to downplay it. You shouldn't be people throwing rocks at federal agents. It's like not normal, it's not good and so that's something that is going to be happening. It's going to of course invite a response. But yeah, broadly, this is a clash of big political forces, and you know, we should contextualize it certainly, you know, in terms of the situation, which people are hyper focused on that, and then also in the broader picture, like you're saying about what this really means what with the Trump administration and its view of power. I do think it's very interesting they didn't do the Insurrection Act, and I mean there's a couple of things that we can look to and say that the Trump administration, within their review, is trying to appear more reasonable like this time around. This may sound crazy to somebody like you, but think about it. I mean, look, National Guard is not National two thousand National Guard, but it is not the Insurrection Act. It's not you know, we're threatening all these things we got later on the show kill Marbrigo Garcia is back in the United States. I mean, I don't think anybody who was said that was going to happen twenty days whenever I went on leave. What did we all say, It's never going to hapen? They, I think, don't we have tape just like that's not going they buckled right like eventually they did buckle to the court. Uh, they've got they were taken L after L right now at the Supreme Court, you know, with the or in the court system as well, like they have got. They're on the back foot a little bit. And they're not stupid either to see also, which we're about to talk about with Doze and with Elon, that cost them a lot of political capital between Dosee and tariffs. They have serious problems. Now. I'm not going to downplay you know, what the future and all of this will look like. But you know, in a sense like that, I can see that there is a calibration within their worldview for what is happening right now. And while yes there's testing of the waters and things, I think that people are also there, people in the White House and all of that are There's there's a tug, you know, war between the Stephen Miller and then also between people who are looking few you know, at the future for the midterms. Let's not forget we don't have the show. This tax bill is about the pass. No matter what you think of the tax bill, I mean, anytime you give what is it permanent tax cuts to the wealthiest people in the United States. Effectively, what they're doing is enshrining the current law into law, as well as a bunch of other stuff that never pulls very popularly, and that's a huge benefit. We still don't know if medicaid or whatever is on the table, but you know, there's a precarious political landscape in the next one to two years that I see for them.
Speaker 2: Let me just put this last piece up on the screen. This is a eight B Trump's I think this is his most recent truth. I don't know, IM not sure, but one of his more recent truths. This is his latest sauce. He says, a once great American city, LA has been invaded and occupied by illegal aliens and criminals. Now, violent insurrectionist mobs are swimming and attacking our federal agents to try and stop our deportation operations. These lawless rides only strengthen our resolve, directing Secretary of Home and Security Christinoam, Secretary Defense Pete Hegsett, Attorney General Pambondi, and coordination with all other relevant departments and agencies to take all all such action necessary to liberate Los Angeles from the migrant invasion and put an end to these migrant riots. That's another thing is they're trying to project like the people participating here are all immigrants, are undocumented, and there's just no proof. I mean, I think vast majority are very likely American citizens. In any case, I actually don't. I mean LA is I mean, there's La has a massive immigrant population, but also a massive you know, like people who were immigrants and are now citizens population.
Speaker 1: There's no yeah, I mean that's what it's also, you know what the second largest city in the United States of America, right, I mean there's I mean, it probably does a very large legal population. Like let's be honest, sure, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I again, we have no I think it's unlikely, frankly because most people who are undocumented are very leery of doing much of anything right now because they're afraid of being picked up and deported. So the risk is much higher. Listen, we have no numbers. But that's what they want to project, is that this is all like undocumented immigrants and that's an invasion of LA, and that's why they're seizing on the Mexican the you know, just display of the Mexican.
Speaker 1: Flags seizing it's a Mexican flag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, again, it's everywhere. But there are also American flags, but you don't see those being I don't see very.
Speaker 1: Many of them. I was looking because images I don't want.
Speaker 4: To be for.
Speaker 1: We got plenty of images here.
Speaker 2: To be honest with you, I actually watched I actually watched a clip that Elon retweeted that showcased a bunch of American flags.
Speaker 1: I see a lot. They're out there, Mexican flags. They don't know people are illegal on stolen. But that's the typical leftist fair It's fine. I'm not going to sit here and like cat turn it up or whatever, but like, let's be honest about who we're dealing with here.
Speaker 2: Like sure, But in like I was saying, I think there's also an element of this where Trump is rhetoric on immigration this time. Although there was you know, some talk about like oh, they're taking your house and you're taking your jobs, it was more about they're emptying the insane asylums, and these are all criminals, and we're going to go after these criminals and to port them. And they're simply aren't that many undocumented immigrants who are criminals and so I think part of this as well is since you have this increasing sort of realization of who is actually being targeted, who is actually being deported, and there tend to be more sympathetic figures and people are just like here trying to you know, live a life.
Speaker 3: And work and get a job and whatever.
Speaker 2: This can substitute in for portraying that level of like criminality and lawlessness. I think is part of the reason why they're making this affirmative effort to project that everyone participating is an undocumented immigrant, which is like definitely not the case. So in any case, I think that's that's part of the narrative that they are trying to spin here as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to your point, and it helps, and like you burn cars and you have I skin flags.
Speaker 2: Absolutely agree that when you have, like I said before, the image of a burning Weimo with a Mexican flag is so perfect for them that I have to ask the like, yeah, it like seems way too on the nose.
Speaker 3: So in any case, you got.
Speaker 1: To remember too, most of the country has never been to Los Angeles. Right if you live in a red state, like you think San Francisco is just like riddled with shit because it's like the tender Loin district or you think, and look, I'm not downplaying that because it is terrible. I've been, I've seen it. It's awful, you know. Or Downtown LA like seeing this what I forget exactly what it's called. I'm completely blanking on it. That area of downtown skid Row, that is one of the worst things I've ever seen in my whole life, ever seen. I'm talking about the slums of Mumbai are comparable to the skid Row. It is horrific. So I don't want to downplay that. There is a tendency though, in the Middle American others to think that that's what it all looks like. Or Chicago it's all like, you know, Shiraq or whatever. But Mexican flags burning in the middle they don't know. So when you see images of what is it the four or five in LA being blocked up in Alabama, in Michigan, in Pennsylvania and all this, I can guarantee you you know, these things are going viral all across the country. I mean, look, we could debate forever about illegal immigration and deportation. I mean, at the end of the day, if you're here illegally, you are liable to be deported. Whether it should be or not. We can argue that all day long, but as the law currently stands, and as the law that's about to I think probably going to go into effect, like that's something that is going to be happening. Again. We can debate morality, et cetera of all of that, but at the end of the day, you know, having people throw things at federal agents, Mexican flags and all of that, these are sympathetic images for the Trump administration. In fact, I mean it almost makes me question why they started with these mach mood khalils and I'm blanking on the guy's name, the Buddhist guy. Yeah, I mean these are like ten times more sympathetic figures, Like why do they start with the propalas Indian movement in a certain stent? I mean, we could probably talk forever about that, but it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Let me make one more point that we can talk about Elon with us. Actually there's a tie in too, because Elon is like, you know, seizing on this to kind of like you know, smooth over some of his some of his ruptured ties with Mega. But in any case, you know, I think what what I was talking to Kyle about this last night, and he was saying, like they were gonna, like it doesn't matter whether the protests are peaceful or not peaceful or whatever. They were going to do this sort of thing anyway. And I think there's a reasonable point to me a bit about that because the pro Palestine protests. Think about the Pro Palestine protests, though they were over, I mean, they really were sort of a model movement, including really highlighting Jewish voices at the center of it, you know, peaceful, like the most aggressive thing they did was to take over that one building on the Columbia campus, which you know, you can debate and dispute, but that is sort of grounded and typical like you know, anti war protest movement tactics. And they were really really disciplined. And you know, anytime you have a movement, a large movement of people, you're gonna have some people who do some things that are like you know, some graffiti or so something that you don't but considering the number of people and the extent of locations and all of that, they were really disciplined and there was a significant crackdown. Now the National Guard wasn't called in, but there was a significant crackdown, and there has been an aggressive, over the top federal government response, right including pulling all the ability of Harvard to have foreign students at all, and taking over Middle Eastern studies departments and arresting people like mack Mood Khalil and arresting Moslim Mandawi and arresting messa Os Turk for writing an op ed and you know, really punishing anyone who would dissent from that narrative.
Speaker 3: So in a sense, would they have called in the National Guard? What would be exactly the same?
Speaker 2: Hard to say, but there is a top down crackdown on dissent regardless of how good or perfect your protest movement is.
Speaker 3: That is certainly the case. But I think what you're.
Speaker 2: Pointing to, what I will say for myself, is that it also matters how the public receives that protest movement. And so you know, in the case of the pro Palestine movement, even though it hasn't moved our elected officials because they're genocidal, horrific maniacs, whether you're talking about Biden or you're talking about Trump, the public way a public opinion has moved has been extraordinary. You know, the only old Republicans basically are now more pro Israel than pro Palestine, and that is a wild shift.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: Another successful protest model in Trump two point zero era has been You mentioned kill Maya Brego Garcia. There were protests, There were peaceful protests. There was you know, a significant effort of calling and writing members of Congress. There were people showing up at these town halls to yell at them, and you know, massive upset. You had Democratic politicians respond by actually going to El Salvador, keeping the pressure on the issue. You had the courts responding as well. So you had all of these layers. And because of that, when you pull on kill Maya Brego Garcia specifically, it is one of Trump's worst polling issues. People are disgusted with how he handled it. And the more that was in the news, the more that the pressure was kept on and that was kept in the news, the more that Trump's overall approval on immigration fell. And so now actually his approval rating on immigration has recovered a bit.
Speaker 3: His overall approvals were covered.
Speaker 2: A bit as that has become you know, more back burner in terms of the news and hasn't been in everyone's face. So there are there are models of you know, movements that have used successful tactics that have really swayed public opinion and moved people to their side, and have even successfully in some ways you want to talk about, Kilmar checked some of the ambitions of the Trump administration. So I do think, you know, I know, people get pissed off when you like, oh you don't wire you nitpicking the tactics, But look, this is not a game.
Speaker 3: This is very serious.
Speaker 2: These are these are want to be fascists, and he is an authoritarian who wants to use whatever pretext he can to crack down and to crush dissent and to spend you know, to create images and spend a narrative and tell a story that plays into his hands. And so you know, I think it's I think it's really important to be smart and strategic and not give him what he wants to provide a more effective pretext.
Speaker 1: Well, they're never gonna listen to me, So for every all the protest leaders, they're not gonna Yeah, no, I think they would listen to you. Actually they probably hate me, but that's fine. You know, I love you guys. Too. It's okay, all right, let's go on to Elon. At the same time, an extraordinary fallout between Elon Musk and Donald Trump. Crystal and the team have already covered much of that, but we do have some new developments, mostly within the MAGA movement, to a really turning on Elon Musk. Steve Bannon, who of course has been gunning for Musk from day one, really seizing the opportunity to drive the point home that he's an interloper, he's a big tech oligarch, and now he wants to deport him. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 6: And then as soon as President Trump comes out today and President Trump's saying it in the nicest way possible about the bill, right, the bill, but being ba bang back, the guy gets up and starts tweeting the most visit. That's just stuff you could tweet, So all the fanboys defend this. He accused President Trump and basically being to a group with those of pedophiles on the island. He called for he called for the president to be impeached and JD. Vance to take his role. As hard as we've worked in all the years that we've walked in this audience's work. Some punk is going to sit there and go he's should be impeached. And hey, as sure as the turning of the earth, if those progressors rub up on him and say, hey, they're never gonna buy the they're never going to buy the Tesla's where they're going to buy the Tesla's they rub up on him, He'll write a five hundred million dollar check for a Keem Jefferies. He'll be across the thing looking to impeach President Trump, looking to help steal the twenty eight election, look into him, prison President Trump. So here's my point. Let's get ahead of it and shipping thirteen million out of here. Let me change that thirteen million in one because Elon Musk is illegal and he got to go to Okay, you're gonna ship these other people home. Let's start with the Let's start with the South Africa. Okay, and I got a couple other could go too, but he's illegal. Deport immediately. We all want to cut federal spending. His promise and commitment to the president of cutting one treeion dollars in federal spending was something he stuck to the end until we found out it was all a fraud. I mean, this is what caused the physical altercation you had in the West wing, right outside the Oval office between the Secretary Treasury. Scott Beston is a good friend of mine and a very even handed guy. He and Elon got into a physical altercation, and that's because number one people felt that day the Elon might have been on drugs, and number two, Scott called him a fraud to his face and said, look, we're in the middle of a heart a terrible budget fight. You committed to a two treeion dollars, then you committed to a tree in dollars. Now you talk about one hundred and sixty billion dollars. We don't see where you got anything, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So, I mean, there's so much to say there. We were joking, like, what exactly do you need to do to piss off a guy like Scott Besson? To you, a buttoned up Wall Street financier who literally in a pink house, what do you have to do to get him to punch you. I mean, listen, if you're a billionaire, first.
Speaker 2: Punch Scott, it's certainly he hates your gut. So apparently that was pretty common sentiment within the Trump and.
Speaker 1: Mary comry sentiment. Yeah. I mean, look, let's go to the next one, please, shall we We have Elon's response here to Steve Bannon. Bannon is a criminal who oozes evil from his face like a disease. He's a communist retard. He's a peak retard, peak retard, as he continues to say over and a criminal and criminal peak retard. Actually it's just actually, I mean, yeah, I guess you're technically wait, was he granted clemency your pardon? I forget So, I don't know whatever he is in the eyes of the law. What we do know is this is probably no coming back from with his relationship with Donald Trump, and I would say at least a certain sect of MAGA. Trump says Elon Musk will face quote very serious consequences if he funds Democratic candidates. You know, I don't think that is going to happen, just because of how far Elon has gone. But I was joking with several friends that you.
Speaker 3: Don't think he'll fund the Democratic gut No.
Speaker 1: But Elon is the perfect prey for people who you and I know very well, Crystal, the no labels crowd. Yeah, Elon, I mean, if you think about it, Elon is socially liberal, fiscally conservative. He is filthy rich, and he cares a lot about the debt. He has, you know, very or at least pretends to care a lot about the debt. And he's got shitloads of money, and he's got private business interests. All of those things confluence in the Bipartisan Policy Project or the No Label Center. He's tweeting about a third party, right, I mean, this is this is catnip for a certain type of Silicon Valley billionaire. The amount of polsters who he's going to are going to charge him ten times as a normal rate to prove his bullshit, and his consultants and all of that. I mean, the fallout is I find very vindicating because it's been obvious that Elon has been a huge problem for the Trump administration. But I mean, really, what I have to say is looking at the Trump administration is Elon has made them look like fools. And the reason why I say that is think about the amount of political capital that they went to bat for Elon Musk in the first ninety days of the Trump administration, and particularly, let's say with the first forty five days. The central story of the United States of America was Doge was waste, fraud and abuse. Now, I certainly still think that there is a popular sentiment behind Doge and the idea of like government corruption and all that. By about forty five days or so, we have a story. This is bullshit, right, This is just people who are gallibanting around getting access to systems chaos. Ten day, what did you do today? Emails? The White House went to extraordinary lengths to defend Elon. I mean they had a car dealership marketing thing on the White House lawn. That's as good as it gets for any company. Crazy. He bought La on the side on the south lawn to the White House. I mean, that's that's fucking see. Okay, I mean that's nuts. They said they're going to charge people with domestic terrorism for burning down. Now listen, you know, maybe if if make sure it applies to everybody, but they were talking about Tesla specifically, right. I mean, they brought the full force of a White House in the United States federal government basically to bear to defend this man's reputation. They stretch the law special government employee Doge. I mean, how many cases before the United States Supreme court overdose and then to have a falling out like this is just so immensely embarrassing because it always comes back to the original stories of the first Trump administration where somebody would leave and then they would attack Trump and look at Trump and Mac and Alan would always attack them. But you know, it always comes back to judgment. It's like, yeah, but why did you hire him in the first place? Right, So it's like John Bolton, John Bolton is a warmonger, Like, yeah, but why did you hire him? What were you doing? Yeah? Right, So like that's about bad judgment. And so really, I mean I just think they look incredible foolish, Like you have all these statements from the White House from Donald Trump, I mean, all of the bromance pictures, so many of the you know, the Elon's kid in the in the Oval office, all this craziness, and so for them then to turn around and be like, I'm taking you know, the bigger hand, It's like you accepted, you know, his ketemine use and his erratic behavior and all the political problems that he caused. Initially, you basically whitewashed so many of the corruption allegations. I mean, it was were obvious and true, you know, going on at the time, and it's only now they do like attack you personally. You know that you're willing to turn on it. I mean in a certain sense. I don't think it's a bad thing. I mean because really what you have watched is a defenestration of I think a lot of the tech bro alliance with MAGA, because a lot of them, I really believe they thought Washington was almost even more corrupt than it is, and they're like, oh, we can just buy our way in, and they didn't realize that actually there's courts and Congress like all this other stuff, and you know, you actually have to align with democratic institutions. And I do feel like Elon's real breaking point is he didn't understand that you actually can't just buy everything that you want. I mean, we have the NASA administrator who got lumored, which is hilarious. You know, what did you do? He donated some democratic politicians, which like one time, which he told Trump and only recently they were like, actually, no, that's a huge problem. I can only assume that the NASA guy was probably going to be highly preferential to SpaceX. But then you also have you know, the standoff around the debt. I'm not going to speculate around Elon's intentions with I mean, he probably does care about the debt in a very like Malay libertarian sense. That's always kind of been his politics. But really, what I think it is is that the GOP was not listening to him. And I think the reason is it's not just they were listening to Trump. Guys. This is Washington. There are constituents. Elon is like, we need to cut the debt. The New York congressman is like, I will not vote for this bill unless every millionaire in my district gets assault deduction. That's called democratic politics. Everyone's like, oh, this bill is full of pork. Yeah, what do you do? That's how it works. Like part of the thing that he's finding out and interacting with are like actual politicians who are responsible to people, and I think that is something that he is. I think he's irreconcilable now truly to the political system. But bright bigger story is just the Trump administration of the Republican Party made a huge mistake I think by becoming so like wholly tied to Elon Musk and his erratic behavior, his business interests is various problems, and in particular, what they did wrong was not you know, accepting somebody's money is like fine, okay, everybody does it. But they kind of fused themselves both to Elon's benefit, to his identity and to his company. That was devastating. Already we can talk about the company, we can look at the stock price into Elon and all that, But to the Republican Party, you basically took somebody who's an erratic person, not even an Americans you know, originally a born, natural born American citizen who has all kinds of conflicts of interest, not as a politician by any means or any right, and you subsumed him into your identity and you took all of the political hit. And I would say, you know, if you really look at it, the two prongs that have hit the Trump administration of the Hartist it has been Doge and it has also been the tariffs. And obviously we'll talk about tariffs a little bit later, but those two combined as a one to two punch, I think it's been devastating, you know, to a lot of their political prospects even now in the future. So yeah, that's I mean, I don't thin these are particularly original thoughts, but I just think it was a huge mistake from the very beginning. Everybody could see it coming from a mile away that eventually something you know, would tear between if you look at Elon's entire history, like, I mean, I hate it, but like he brought himself into our world right, like every relationship he's in, it's a freaking mess. Yeah, I mean, you guys should read I really encourage people to read Ashley Vance's biography of Elon. Like he had a longtime secretary who had the gall to like ask him for a raise because she's like, hey, I do a lot of work around here, and he just fired her. And it's like what like like it's like every business partner, every major investor, I mean, he was forced out of everyone forgets this. At PayPal, they're like, Elon, we can't deal with him, and they forced him out as a CEO overnight. I mean this is He's always been like this disagreeable and kind of crazy, so this was an eventual outcome. I do think though, that the damage to the Doge product, the Doge project that has done to the White House is something that's going to be very difficult for them, because that was the initial spark of a lot of the original political protests against Trump. The tariffs, I think, hit everybody devastated, a lot of political opinion. And now you have all the elements of a bad Trump's story, which is infighting between two principal actors. Everybody loves juicy drama. We've got the Epstein stuff, which we'll get to in a little bit, which is just you know, clownish in terms of the way that Trump administration is handling it. And so yeah, I mean, just broadly, I think it's I think it's bad. It is a great lesson, I think as to why these people should not actually be all that intertwined in our democratic system. Like at the end of the day, yes, you can hate Donald Trump. He is a talented politician, you know, JD. And all these people they got themselves elected like they know what they're doing. To a certain extent, even Schumer. Okay, yes, I'll even say that they're better than these interlopers. And so in a sense, I am a little bit happy just to see some of that come in and because I mean, the arrogance was unbelievable. Oh yeah, in November. I have not told the story publicly, I will say it now. I knew somebody was very involved with Dosh and they said, you know, we're just so excited because there's never been a serious effort to cut spending in Washington. I literally laughed at them and I was like, I was like, do you know who Paul Ryan is? I was just like, do you know how to read a fucking book? Like no offense? You know, but do you even know what you're talking about?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: And they thought I was the crazy one, right, And I was like, I was like, you have a I was like, you got a lot coming to you, my friend. In fact, there's a viral clip somebody sent me and me talking specifically about Doge on the Lex Rereadman podcast in November where I was like, yeah, I'm not so sure about this. I was like, Congress exists, this is not how Washington works. You know this, this and this. I was like, you're going to run up against up your office. And it's effectively what has happened. And now Elon, through his own personal machinations, has crashed out dramatically and Trump doesn't want his phone calls, so.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Trump says that he's not really interested in talking to him. He says, he says that Elon is depressed and heartbrokenly true.
Speaker 1: What he has is Elon is pressed, right.
Speaker 3: I think he's bipolar, isn't he. He's a mess. He's a mess, and I mean, yes, he's like personally.
Speaker 2: Obviously, I'm in the White House with a black eye that you don't even bother to cover. Listen, I still have two black eyes. And I can give you some makeup tips. You don't have to show up with that all hanging out, you know, tweaking out.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just it's insane.
Speaker 2: But you know, he put in more than a quarter of billion dollars into Trump's campaign and he was going to get something significant for that, and he did. And so even as like you have to hold two thoughts in your head, even as Doge was a total and complete failure on the cutting spending and like making the government more efficient front, in fact it did the opposite of both of those things. Elon got things out of it and did have a huge impact in terms of destroying some of these agencies. You know, his investigations got dropped. The latest story says they he installed starlink over the objections of some of the White House folks, so that he could pull whatever data.
Speaker 3: He wanted out. So I'm not even sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, I still have a lot of questions about what it is that he got out of DOGE, including possibly like tons of data to feed into his own AI in order to try to win the AI race versus his rival Sam Altman.
Speaker 3: That was apparent.
Speaker 2: That was saga another one of the falling out points. I think that as far as we know publicly, the two big things were the NASA administrator getting pulled, which was like the final straw, which that's when Elon just like goes nuclear and starts accusing Trump of a peto and all that sort of fun stuff and claims, by the way, comes out and says like you won the election because of me, which again is an extraordinary assertion.
Speaker 3: Just like, yeah, I bought the election. That's what he's saying. The Wills man, I just.
Speaker 1: Don't think it's true, like period at all. Like I think, you know, his money was helpful, but what the oh, the Trump administration was hard up for money. Come on, like, get out of here, there's a billion dollar election. What you think the club for Growth or any of those other people are going to be able to fund and get out the vote operation. If anything you get out of the operation was shitty by all accounts for all that did cover. Yeah, we covered it at the time. I mean I talked to people who were involved. They said, this is a shit show and it's a mess. I mean, Donald Trump won the election because of Donald Trump and because of Kamala Harris Elon and all that. I mean, was it helpful at a very high level narrative, you know, to have Twitter bought? Yeah, I mean probably Twitter.
Speaker 2: The Twitter piece I think was very important, but I would.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't call it election swinging. It was more so hard to say nobody really knows.
Speaker 2: I mean when you think about like the vibe shift and like that, and having all the tech guys like all in on it, and I didn't mean to like they were all in and also specifically talking about the all in pime.
Speaker 1: By the way, are silent and our cowards. And I say this as a person who considers David Sachs as a friend. Cham Off, David Jason, speak up. You guys wanted this. Yeah, okay, I've met you. All's going you guys wanted to be in politics, you have to show up. You know, yes, I've been on parental leave. But you guys don't have an excuse. You have to show up, and you have to talk about all the shit, even the bad stuff, even when it makes you look bad. So you wanted this, okay, you wanted to be major political commentators. Show the fuck up? Where are you? Your silence is deafening. But you know, only David gets an excuse because he works in the government. Everybody else makes him speak up. Chamoth is literally tweeting about his dick size and he doesn't have anything to say about you.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm just saying commentary, right, he called himself an anaconda.
Speaker 1: Who by the way, if you have a billion dollars, what a fucking loser. I'll talk about this.
Speaker 3: Also, if you are saying things like that publicly, it really makes me.
Speaker 1: Questions just saying yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 3: There's all of that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think so this gets to who has the power now in this Dynane, who's going to quote unquote win And look, obviously Trump is president.
Speaker 3: Of the United States. He's a million times more charismatic than Elon. The people around him, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean they have like a love hate relationship with him, but he inspires respect. Elon inspires like disgusted and hatred apparently over time as people spend.
Speaker 3: Time around him.
Speaker 2: And so obviously Trump has more cards to play. I will say, though, I am surprised at how meekly Trump has responded like it is. It has been very rhetorically, it has been very meek. Now he's threatening all of Elon's contracts this. Elon tweeted this out though, which I think is also noteworthy, said, whatever happens, we've got the spaceships and they do not, which you know.
Speaker 3: He's pointing to the fact that.
Speaker 2: NASA and the space from really is kind of fucked without SpaceX because and this is a trend that started Barack Obama is really the one that pushed towards SpaceX and towards privatizing so much of the space program. I would say this is case in point of why it's so devastating to rely on like a single oligarch or a handful of oligarchs for things that are essential government capacity. And so he's holding that over Trump's head. And I mean, who knows what sort of data he has. There may be pieces that we aren't aware of cards that Elon can play. The other two parts that are obvious are Starlink is really critical for you know, this critical communications infrastructure that Elon has control over.
Speaker 3: And the other one is Twitter.
Speaker 2: Twitter has become the backbone of the conservative movement, conservative discourse. I mean it really has become extremely central, and so the fact he has control over that is another, you know, errow in his quiver and could be part of why Trump is not going nuclear in the way that has. I mean again, think about it. Elon said, your terror suck and they're going to cause a recession.
Speaker 3: You're a pedo. I you did not even win the election.
Speaker 1: I want it for you.
Speaker 3: And al Trump has to say is like, oh, I'm sorry, he's so heartbroken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could read it that way. I also could read it as like it's humiliating, you know what I mean one of my best friends or most politically aligned person was like openly shitting on it.
Speaker 2: You'd just be like, yeah, I want to be humiliated. Like doesn't not a shameless I do not want to be humiliating.
Speaker 1: I truly, I truly have no idea what goes on into it. I do think. Look, this was brewing at a metal level inside of the White House now for some time, can we go ahead and put B five plead up on the screen. People have predicted some grand you know, reconciliation between the two. I just wish him well. Likewise, Elon says, after apparently trying to get Elon on the phone multiple times and has or sorry Trump on the phone multiple times and Trump has refused to take his call. I've I mean, the relationship already lasted so much longer than I thought that I just don't really even want to like speculate. I think, really what's been embarrassing is the fact that Maga, cat Turd and all these other people caped for Elon so hard, only to then have to turn on him at this point. It makes you look very foolish. I mean, the point is is with Elon is like Elon is. I mean, Elon was always kind of this independent sphere, very obviously trying to use his influence both to benefit himself but also like a broader technology aligned thing. And let's be honest, it is complicated, like between Elon and Sam Altman. Like I'm with Elon on that one, right, I mean, I'm not pro Sam Altman on some open ai insane takeover, and broadly with the project, what we really see here is this is a classic Trumpian style story where when someone and actually a right wing story, when somebody, no matter who they are and all their foibles, when they're with you, they go all in, You're a god, and we're buying Tesla's and cyber trucks, and then when they turn against you, it's like I heard it, he knew. The guy deported and it's like, how about maybe it's like, thank you for supporting us. You know, we're flying without you. It's really nice for you to be here with us. But you know, it's like we have an independent project. And some of the smart ones have always seen that, you know. That's why I've always respect to see Bannon. There's been some smart ones out there as well who were always like, yeah, you know this, this is the problem. We can see this coming from a mile away. But you know, there are a number of just like impressionable kind of right wing guys I would say, who really got taken in by a lot of this project, And I think, look, really, and it goes all way up to the top yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that's like I think Trump fell into this idea, Oh he's a genius and he's a great man. Like I think he got pulled into some of that as well, which is part of why he let him go as far as he did. I mean, the stuff was unhinged, like being on the stage with a chainsaw, gleefully firing people, destroying all of these agencies you know in wild violational law.
Speaker 3: There's all this.
Speaker 2: Reporting now that you know, Susie Wilds, and these people are like, what are you doing? Like they did not know in advance what he was doing and probably still don't know exactly what's going on. And that is one other thing that he's got is these doge kids are still who are more loyal to him, are still populated, these Asian they should be of course, yes, yeah, they absolutely should be out of it.
Speaker 3: No business being in there in the first place.
Speaker 2: So you know, last thing I'll say is there was we started with Trump saying, oh, they'll be serious consequences if Elon starts funding Democrats. You know I think that I think, first of all, no Democrats should be taking this guy's money, Like, why did you see how this went for Republic. Do you think this went well for them? Like, just even on a basic tactical practical level, you think this went well. Second of all, if you're going to be a real party that does anything real, you have to be oppositional to these oligarchs. You have to be oppositional to Elon. And so I think it will be a badge of shame for any Democrat who takes money from Elon Musk and I do not. I think the base will be thoroughly disgusted with that because to your point, zccer, I mean, he did make himself such a toxic, horrifying and galvanizing figure in the early days of the Trump administration with this Roman salute and all the rest, and so the Democrat is not going to forget that. And so if you're a Democratic politician who thinks you're going to take some money from Elon and nobody's going to have anything to say about it, I think you are dead wrong on that front.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely agree with that.