Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Uh yeah, So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist. Well, Miles, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seed by a brilliant TV writer, performer, and enrolled member of the Cowlitz Indian tribe who's written on shows for Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, DreamWorks, the Netflix animated series Spirit Rangers. Yeah, he's the creator of the brilliant web series Gone Native. Please welcome back to the show. The Hilarious, the Talented Joey Cliff Joey.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, I'm Joey Cliff aka Oh I'm Joey clifft we oh.
Speaker 1: Guest it, I'm a z Ike.
Speaker 3: Guys, take my hand, We'll record it.
Speaker 1: I swear WHOA. I'm on the Daily side Geist.
Speaker 3: Shout out to me fifteen seconds ago when I realized to a parody song about myself?
Speaker 1: Did that fifteen seconds ago? I was off the that was that was off the dome man the Daily Ze. Yeah, we're fucked Jack. This guy came up with that fifteen fucking seconds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to help us fucking I mean it's better than usually usually. Like you start singing and then I'm just like, oh ship Google popular lyrics, and it's just like, okay, can I like can I do the the not like us like like verse like about like certified podcasts certified Joey Cliff, Yeah, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: So this I had like a little bit aheadway. Yeah. I've noticed a lot of our guests block out the heart sing in their memory, so it's they just remember when we start singing. They're like, oh god, I forgot this show show as weird as fuck. Yeah, Joey. We do like to ask our guest what is something from your search history?
Speaker 3: Okay, so the last thing for my Google search history is the question is.
Speaker 1: One pull up? A lot of pull up.
Speaker 3: So I've started, like I've I've think I've talked about my my personal fitness journey on the daily es I guist a little bit, but I've just reached the point, after a year and a half of working without the personal trainer, that I can do one pull up. And I'm very proud of myself for like, like i feel like I'm at the point where if I see a bar hanging above my head, I don't care what time of day it is. I don't care like where I'm at, I don't care how I'm dressed. I'm gonna bust out exactly one very struggled.
Speaker 2: Pull up or do the one the kind I do, or you use your upward momentum from a jump.
Speaker 1: To be like, yeah, man, I'm up. That's how I used to be able to do that. No, this is a full hang. Okay, this is a.
Speaker 2: Probably ong or some ship. Nobody can do a fun like that. Oh yeah, recording, nobody can do it. But if I can't, the entire zoom window are my muscles?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I mean like loo frock Lesnar can probably do one, maybe one and a half hole.
Speaker 1: I doubt. I'm just saying I doubt that pull ups are that. That was the one part of the Presidential Fitness test. Oh. I didn't even attempt. Yeah, I was just like, go up and I'm out of here. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna let you see me squirming.
Speaker 2: The stretch ship like the push ups, I was like, miss me with that. The stretch. You want to see how flexible.
Speaker 1: You can are? Oh me touch my toes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, watch me fuck up this little wooden box with the inaccurate lines drawn on it, like the one we had at our school to like gauge however flexible you were. And then the other one, uh run shuttle run, shuttle run, killing it at the fucking shuttle run.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's impressive. Yeah, oh yeah, like wind sprints? Yeah, pull up yeah, get the fuck away from me.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Was rope climb universal? Did everybody do the We don't have.
Speaker 3: Rope climb at ours. We we had a rope climb in mine.
Speaker 1: I could not.
Speaker 3: I could I just that was that was my like, oh there's just no way I could ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same like the pull ups and rope climb. We're a real mess for me. Well, congratulations on the one pull up. Yeah yeah, hell yeah. I'm still too afraid to try. But hey, you can do it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You give hope to those of us who just got up there and it's it's hard. My body is so heavy. The thing is, because my body is so heavy, my arms so weak, I can't support my own weight. What is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 4: So I this is always my go to and it's such a dipshit answer, But I think kindness is underrated. I think, especially now, we should one at all ship. But then the other alert I appreciate it, no, you're right answer, But the the other sort of goes along thematically with what we were just talking about is I think like regional wrestling is underrated. Wow, And there's a promotion in Oakland which I love so much called hood Slam, which is like an amateur region. No it's not amateur, it's regional wrestling. So it's not like pro at the ww WWE corporate sort of thing, but it's like a professional local wrestling, and it's got so much vibe in personality and it feels gritty like the early twentieth century I imagine, and I love it so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like local like wrestling. They I mean, while the production value may be one thing, the dedication of those people is like wild because I feel like I see the wildest wrestling clips, like earlyst clips gone wrong, or at these like sort of like local wrestling shows, or someone's like, oh my god, that guy literally went through like a patio glass door like.
Speaker 4: That was I've seen, Yes, I've seen people like launch you know what, you like twenty five feet from like twenty twenty five feet high and like land on other people in a way where I don't know how it's possible right for everyone to be moderately okay.
Speaker 1: And I yeah, there's no way that, like when it's a person landing on a person, there's no safe version of that. There's no like, oh well yeah, actually because this part of their body like actually landed on the starde. There's like too many variables at work there. There's just like no way that's actually going to like work every time. And I feel like that's the other thing that I always find out about wrestling that I can't believe is like, yeah, this is our hundredth show in May. It's like, wait, what do you mean.
Speaker 4: If dude, if I sleep wrong, I'm fucked for a week. Like yeah, like like my I can't move my body correctly. But these guys are like doing this, you know, a dozen times a month, launching themselves off stuff and soya. And I Also the thing I like about Huitsland too is it's like pretty queer. Like there's a lot of representation there, which is great. So it's like it's all around, it's like fun for the whole.
Speaker 2: Family, right right, Yeah, those are wild when they're like, yeah, man, I take about fifteen fluorescent light tubes to the face a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's any like knock on effects from like that's actually just my waft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how I get out of the bed in the morning.
Speaker 2: Makes for a nice pop, but it's it's safe for us mostly, just like scratchy when you say it has early twentieth century vibes.
Speaker 5: What what specifically, Well, I'm really into the history of wrestling and so so before Vince McMahon came into the game and did, particularly in the early eighties sort of this like corporate entertainment consolidation thing, wrestling from the late thirties through the eighties was extremely regional.
Speaker 4: It was like very gritty, It had local personalities, it had you know, it was like it felt dangerous in a way. I'm not saying that WWE does not feel dangerous in various specific ways, but like it just felt I don't know, it's like it feels like one of the last truly like standing a local or regional phenomena, and I like that a whole lot. It's like a scene. It's its own scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in like the late nineties, like early too, like when e c W was like there's like there was WWF and then there was e c W and They're like, are you ready for e c W? And I was like, no, I'm a baby. I do not want to see r v D bloody this other man.
Speaker 4: I'm still getting ready from the last thing. I'm not this. Yeah, No, I truly, I truly enjoy it. It feels it really feels like it's from another time in the most positive way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like we like to say, you know, the true American art form is like movies or rock and roll, it's wrestling.
Speaker 4: Wrestling if you can check it out if you don't know about it. Josephine Riseman's book Ring Master, about Vince McMahon and his ascension all the stuff that he did, is the best book that explains American political culture I've ever read, because it sort of it maps a one for one. He and Trump were like best friends in the early eighties and continue to be close. Like there's so many similarities and it is. I do think that wrestling, particularly the sort of like culture of it, is the best and easiest way to understand American politics.
Speaker 1: That was the first thing that like Abraham Lincoln stood out as is he he was like a great wrestler, Like he was like people like back then it was like you would go in and like grapple with someone until somebody got like knocked off their feet, and he was just like unfuck with able in that. Oh yeah, he was just like throwing people around. Shout out to Dan O'Brien.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a lot of a lot of wrestling presidents I didn't realize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, taft, that's what Biden's missing. Teddy Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's like it's like almost wild, how many of these people are like, yeah, bro, the whole thing is overpowering another human being.
Speaker 6: That's why I gotta have a wide base, you know what I mean. Yeah, all right, so we know that you think the cat culture is underrated and timboul.
Speaker 1: What is something you think is overrated? Overrated?
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go with fancy water bottles. Also on this trip, I meant to bring. My previous water bottle was silicone and kind of got too moldy, So I was shopping for new ones and getting recommendations from from friends and they're these like you know, fifty sixty eighty dollars water bottle. Yoh yeah, there's a because because some people want them like super insulated and it's tapered and it's got some sort of design element to it. But even some of the cheaper ones, you know, there's still you know, twenty or thirty bucks. And and and I actually ended up forgetting to bring the ones that I had that I tested. And so at Lax they don't sell a plastic water bottles anymore, which is great. So I just got a bottle of in metal and uh and those fables and it was you know, five or six bucks, and I made it through the whole trip, and I get to use it again, no mold. Yeah, and if I decide I don't want to, if I lose it, no big deal. I lost five or six bucks. And and it's completely recyclable. Also, so I think overrated. I do not see the advantage of you know, even a twenty dollars fancy water bottle compared to just getting a disposable, refillable regular water bottle bottled water at the airport or something in a metal container.
Speaker 1: Like like a smart water. What do we do. What are we working with.
Speaker 2: There's a company that has like that cells, like those metal bottles I know.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, I think they did.
Speaker 7: They did have some brands that I had heard before, like those like those ones, but this one, this one like a little more sturdy.
Speaker 1: And it was great.
Speaker 2: There go, yeah that's a I was just like just traveling, the bringing a water bottle is so important because oh my god. Yeah, I only in the last maybe two years took seriously like how dehydrated you actually get on a plane and how much that affects your ability to like adjust with time change and things like that. So yeah, and plus so many airports now are have like full on refilling style station, so whatever kind of cup, like if you have a Nalgene or whatever, you just pop that shit.
Speaker 7: Open and fill it up. And this works right for that. What I hate that was when when you go through security and if you haven't consumed all your water and they don't have like a sink or a drain to put it in, and then you know pound like yeah I got pounded, or you got to pour it into this like flimsy plastic bag. Yeah yeah, but yeah yeah on the plane, like and now, also I don't know if they're all cutting expenses or just we were in on the in the cheap skate section. But you don't even get like a full bottle or can of water when you when you ask for one anymore.
Speaker 1: Tiny little cup. I do the thing.
Speaker 2: I'm like, hey, man, can you top off my bottle? And they're like, yeah, yeah, here right here, and they just dump like the two liter into my ship and I'm like, whoa, I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's again a testament to your energy that it doesn't go well. You're like, and it's not to murder? Could you dump that whole thing and my ship? Man, keep your voice down, sir, Why are you screaming in my wedding so much? Hey? Fill this ship up? Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 7: Saying I've got cleavers in my carry on.
Speaker 1: But and if they were, they're not for murder. What do yeah, sir?
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, Once I give them as gifts, all bets are off. I don't know what my friends are gonna do with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly right. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back. We're and we we've got alert set up, We've got a couple people from the Zeitgeist newsroom who are on the billionaire sub beat kind of. They have a line out just in case anything pops up, and we just got a flag.
Speaker 8: We just got just got one. Well stop me if you heard this one, folks. A billionaire who thinks he is invincible due to his wealth thinks that he can help build a submarine that can safely take people to see the wreckage of the Titanic.
Speaker 1: Me so familiar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're calling it billionaire sub tragedy to Titanic boogaloo, and uh, we're not talking about the Ocean Gate disaster from last year. This is a new idea from a different billionaire, Larry Connor.
Speaker 1: He said, quote, I want to show.
Speaker 2: People worldwide that while the ocean is extremely powerful, it can be wonderful and enjoyable and really kind of life changing if you go about it the right way. Wow, I guess not life changing and that it ends your life, I guess. But the wild part is that this dude was fucking inspired by those five people who died in that other homemade submarine last June, to the point that when he saw it he called his friend who owns a submersible company with his best her idea, go see the Titanic and not die. He said, quote, you know this is apparently what the builders said, quote you know what we need to do is build a sub that can dive to Titanic level depths repeatedly and safely and demonstrate to the world that you guys can do that. And that Titan was a contraption. A little bit arrogant.
Speaker 1: The Titan was a contraption using contraption like a clap trap, like he's using it as he's like, this was a submersible that was a that's like some bombs Sawyer together Swiss family Robinson ass submarine.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's weird to sell this as like a way to illustrate that it was a contraption, Like we're all not sold on that yet.
Speaker 1: Right right right, They're like the thing with the video game controller that everyone has that floated and killed a bunch of innocent people. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I just like the idea that this is just the call of homemade submersible to the Titanic, Like that's specific idea is just irresistible to billionaires.
Speaker 1: They just like can't stop themselves like that do you ever hear about the my Way killings, Like the there's this trend where anybody who sang the song my Way by Frank Sinatra in the Philippines like got murdered. There's like a ton of murders where it doesn't really make sense, but it was just like they the singing of that song for some reason in that culture like infuriated people, and there were multiple murders that were blamed on that. And it's just like this weird like something about that specific culture and that specific song just didn't mix or mixed in a very specific way and like caused people to die. I feel like maybe we found like the hack for killing billionaires. It's just this idea, the call of the deep, Yeah, the call of the homemade. Like, hey, you pulled yourself up by your own bootstraps with your own bare hands. You should build a submersible with those same hands. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe, yeah, don't use the Titanic, don't use your wealth to like help anyone build a fucking build a fucking really strong tin can to go look at some dead stuff at the bottom of the sea and.
Speaker 1: Maybe dying in the process.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, Yeah, I mean, but this guy, So he's actually kind of he's not a nube at this kind of shit. It turns out like he has already been to depths that far to surpass the Titanic site alongside his friend who has like a submersible company. Like he's gone to the like fucking Mariana Trench.
Speaker 1: Like, wow, he's.
Speaker 2: Gone below twenty thousand feet in a submersible. So I'd say, like he definitely it stands to reason that he may survive. But like when you look at his Wikipedia, he's like does all these like auto races. He's fucking He's like had this goal. He's like, I went to the Mariana Trench and now I want to go to space. I want to do that within one year, go to the deepest part of the sea and out of like into outer space as the extremes I can reach with my wealth. Yeah, the Titanic is around twelve five hundred feet, So I mean he's so I don't know, well, I I part of me just thinks, like maybe it's the law of the sea that if you're a billionaire at a certain depth, like.
Speaker 1: It just the sea just consumes you. Just take it.
Speaker 4: It calls you. It calls you to It's really that's where like the siren myth came from. It's like, yeah, people, it's like just calls them to the bottom. I truly, I know it's it's it's a cliche to even bring it up, and you just you just touched on it that. It's like, I don't know why they don't think fixing climate change would be the coolest thing. Yeah, like we would all celebrate you, we would all not joke about you for a day. Just fix the fucking problem.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah exactly, we'd all.
Speaker 4: Be so psyched and not elon, we would not make fun of you for a full day if you fixed climate Yeah, it's just yeah, put your money your wuth is because then I like you could actually solve world hunger with bab It's like, okay, then fucking do it, genius.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you afraid of?
Speaker 2: Like just two billion dollars to two hundred who cares?
Speaker 1: Yeah the fuck up? Yeah. I think the way you get to be a billionaire is being pathologically selfish exactly.
Speaker 2: So you know, it's interesting I read this other thing about his not greed exactly, but when the pandemic hit, he made like one point six million dollars in profit because like stock volatility, like that was after taxes. He gave it all to his workers that were making like less than like one hundred grand a year, like spread it out like amongst his like employees, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Larry Connor did.
Speaker 2: But then it's also like sure, like you're a billionaire, and you're like, oh, I just I fucking farted, like I parted out one point six million dollars on accident. You're like, yeah, I guess they can fucking have that shit. I mean, so I don't know if it's but and then like other people like I was reading this article, like he was also had like you know, was paying for all the extended childcare that his employees need. So he does like the bare minimum to not look like an absolutely craven billionaire. But at the end of the day, you know, you're still a billionaire.
Speaker 1: And at the beginning of the pandemic, like we were, there was like a conspicuous feeling where everyone was just like looking around like wait, so these fucking people have like what money. It was like that that imagine song they released, that imagined song where we fucking hate you guys, right right, And so yeah, very smart. He's like, you can have my money, like throwing his wallet essentially when he's being mugged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look over there, cashuck losers for his life. Yeah, but I do there.
Speaker 1: If we're going to give up on them fixing climate change, which I'm almost ready to do, I don't think it's going to be.
Speaker 2: A cynical jack cynicism man, a single individual billionaire of his own accord, maybe like a gun point, they might help fix the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if they're going to do projects with their own money, like I love doing projects where their sense of invincibility takes them to the bottom of the ocean or into space, like in something that they tried to build themselves.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, I mean it's it's and I'm glad that they're taking out in themselves because the converse situation of them helping fix climate change is they put the contraption in the air and it like brings us back to the ice age or something along those lines. So I just I'm glad when it goes wrong it usually only takes them out. But I know, I don't know. Jury's I don't know, AI, we'll find out soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is wild that they like we would we would like make name Christmas after you if you fucking fixed climate change, we'd be like, Nope, this one's about now, Mary Connor. Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Yeah, I don't know. If God loved the world so much that he gave his only son. I think this billionaire gave up a lot of his money and saved the planet.
Speaker 1: Dude, I don't know. Jesus, I think he might have to fuck off on this one.
Speaker 4: Move move over, Jesus.
Speaker 1: You could have Boxing Day, Okay, America's dude, to like take up Boxing Day. We'll give that to you, where everybody trades their presence. Don't you think we should have that.
Speaker 2: That's kind of fun, dude, I give it up my fucking gifts, Dude, about I wanted that.
Speaker 6: You just said that because you want my gifts, because I get better gifts, because I have better gifts, because my parents are better than yours.
Speaker 1: My dad's in the.
Speaker 2: CIA, My dad's in the CIA, and I got three mister buckets full the fuck up.
Speaker 4: You should see all the balls coming out of his mouth, out of.
Speaker 1: His mouth, The balls pop out of my mouth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like a Southern drawl.
Speaker 1: A little yeah, yeah, like the older other man who keeps talking about popping balls out of his mouth. Let's talk about neo babies. Oh yeah, new one. Yeah we gotta. Yeah, So Northwest, Kanye and Kim's daughter, I just want to say, like at the outset, I'm not here to criticize a child. I am here to criticize that child's parents. I'm here. I'm here to trash a ten year old girl. People.
Speaker 4: Jack would never criticize a child, and I'm glad we're hearing it here.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeahely, Well, just not Kim and Kanye's child. Other children, but they don't have it if they don't get in excuse for that. Yeah, will keep that. But I think Northwest might have a future in this industry. So I've gotta, I've gotta, you know, be careful. Yeah yeah, yeah, be careful with your words for sure. So I mean, yeah, she recently like landed one of the starring roles in this like thirtieth anniversary performance of The Lion King. Not like the Broadway version. It was just more of like songs from them from the movies, Like Nathan Lane was there and Jeremy Irons was fucking there, and like you know, even people from the recent remake and their performance went down over Memorial Day weekend and a lot, and you know, sadly, because the internet is a fucking shitty place, there's just so many people talking wild shit about Northwest performance.
Speaker 2: I'll play a bit of it here just so you can kind of hear what we're talking about. And this isn't to be like yeah, man, fuck yeah, fucking right. They come to her now, uh huh. And then it goes around play more.
Speaker 1: All the professionals come in and are like, okay, we got we're dancing around you. We're dancing around you. We're dancing around you.
Speaker 2: You're okay, You're okay, But yeah, I think, you know, to be honest, I think it's an above average performance for a ten year old in a school production. Yeah, just keep it, keep it a buck here. And look, she's having her fun, she's doing her best. But like most people just decided to tear her down because you know, like was saying, like, there are so many kids with actual vocal and dance training that would have done such a better job. And yes, while that's true, you're anger. You should not be directed at a child get mad again at her parents for putting her in this situation because nepotism ain't going away, baby, It's all around, and in Los Angeles it's it will never go away. Every Yeah, truly, there's nothing you can do. But like again, it does suck for like kids that dedicate themselves to perform on stage and then they just get swept aside because the kid of like a celebrity couple like wants the role. But yeah, it is interesting just to see like there are I think equal I think after most people are just like saying a bunch of wild shit on like TikTok, Instagram and like Twitter. Most of the people's writings like is this was that Kim and Kanye are really setting their kid up for success by doing stuff like this because I don't I didn't know that Northwest was a aspiring stage performer. It just felt like she's meant to do a lot of stuff that her parents.
Speaker 1: Are like, yeah, try that, try that.
Speaker 4: I didn't know they had a child at that age. Like if you were like, guess what how old their child is? I don't know, one five, I have no idea. And then and apparently they're old enough to sing at the Hollywood Bowl to the Lion King.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like I just think of like how Kim had the booze like removed from her appearance on that Netflix Tom Brady roast.
Speaker 1: So yeah, she must understand.
Speaker 2: I mean it's people don't know why a lot of people are like she probably did not like that.
Speaker 1: Most people were just talking about how she was getting food.
Speaker 2: So at least on some level, she knows what it's like when people don't take you seriously, at least from like an ego like perspective. But like putting your kid in that same position, it just feels a little bit fucking wild, Like I like I also we're also seeing this like with Lebron James and his son too right now, where there's a little bit like just let your kid do what they do, don't get overly involved and create outsized expectations. Much in the same way if you're going to use your celebrity and be like we're jumping the line at this audition and this is the new child Simba for the production.
Speaker 1: Just kind of.
Speaker 2: Thing.
Speaker 1: This whole thing just stresses me out, makes me feel bad for the kid, makes me feel bad for the kids who would have had a better chance were they're these people's parents, not like cutting them to the front of the line.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean and I get it, Like I think that that's why it just kind of freaks me out because like as a parent, like I think my own kid is a living fucking god.
Speaker 1: But you know what I mean, Like this kid's fucking what are you talking about? Yeah, Like he can't walk the work judge. We are the worst judge, but he could be Simba in the Like I think I believe that my kid, on the other hand, would have nailed that.
Speaker 2: Yeh right, But like you know, but then also part of me realizes, like part of my role is to like nurture their interests and also give them like a foundation to like operate from where they realize like dedication and commitment are like the ways you can like improve your skills or like your craft or whatever, not shortcuts. But I think that might be impossible for Kim, especially who has not who has basically ascended very passively and probably thinks like that's normal and like not even like that's fine, man, She'll just get fucking made fun of a little bit. But at least she was up there on that stage because that's my daughter.
Speaker 1: The number one. Number one, Kim didn't ascend passively. Kim like got out of like I feel like a household. That is the equivalent of like when they talk about Vladimir Putin coming out of like a prison in Russia, like where everybody like murders each other and he's the only survivor. She's like the bane of American popular culture, like American popular trash culture. I think she's a she's a survivor. I think she'll be she she she earned a lot of the attention. Yeah, well hey, and then Chris did a lot for her career.
Speaker 2: So maybe there's also that too, where she's like the mother will also assume a lot of responsibility in getting the child their own sex tape.
Speaker 4: Yes, I just think, I mean, this is just all of that is I think beautiful and rational. I just think, you know, this is yet another circumstances which there's no one around you being like, hey, maybe not, maybe don't do this. Yeah, what are the twenty years since you've had anyone say no to you? Right? Right?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: I wonder what happened like if someone everyone's like, did you ask North if she wants to do this? I don't she wants to do it. Okay, I know her, she said no, she was crying all the way to the audition, but she wants to do it.
Speaker 1: She wants to I know, I know, I know, but yeah, it's I mean, because that's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's like for getting mad at a kid who like, if they have any sort of desire to perform, they're not They're gonna be like, I don't know if I'm ready to be Simba and this like really cool thing that's happening. Of course, every kid who has a remote interest is going to say yes. So being like what's wrong with Northwest? It's like, dude, she's ten, okay, right, yeah, yeah, there's nothing wrong with not it.
Speaker 1: Look at this, look at this part of her perform. Yeah. And that's why I keep saying the same thing about RFK Junior, Like, guy, he didn't choose Oh wait, how old is he sixty? But he has the mind of a spoiled ten years? Oh he's seventy. I'm sorry, Oh wow, he's seventy. Eh he's seventy. Wo dude, that's crazy that he's the young one seventy.
Speaker 4: I know, he's a young, spry seventy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, very spry, very spry, very spry. But yeah, so there's been a lot of talk about who RFK is going for in this, like is he trying to appeal to the mega people? Is he trying to steal the Joe Biden voter And and he kind of gave us a little bit of a a better clue. Yeah, when he was got he feigned outrage at the removal of Confederacy statues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I'm trying to figure out who this ven diagram of voters is. Where that sweet spot is r f K, you know, like right there in the middle, because like he's into bitcoin, brainworms.
Speaker 1: Ending forever wars, ending vaccines.
Speaker 4: I think it's Stone. I think she. I think the middle of the I love it's one d got me wrong.
Speaker 2: It's Alicia Silverstone and Jessica Bielle kind of on the low but you won't really say it out loud.
Speaker 1: And justin Timberlake. She's not against vaccine, she's against the injuries that vaccine could cause.
Speaker 4: And she just loves statues, you know, four statues.
Speaker 1: And I'm all about artisan work and artisanal work and copper, the use of steels.
Speaker 4: To you think of the artisans that.
Speaker 1: Were exactly, but like, yeah, in this recent podcast, he let people know, man, this is just quote.
Speaker 2: I have a visceral reaction against against the attacks on those statues. There were heroes in the Confederacy who didn't have slaves, and you know, I just I just have a visceral reaction against destroying history.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. I think we should celebrate who we are. Who we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, slaveholders, that's your that's not y'all. That's on y'all. I mean, hey, he said it, not me.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: We should celebrate the good qualities of everybody. If we want to find people who are completely virtuous on every issue throughout history, we would erase all of history. I love that tactic. I love that rhetorical attack.
Speaker 1: So he wants them up not as a reminder of how bad slavery was, but as an opportunity to celebrate the good qualities of Yes, Confederates, Yes, wow, I do want it.
Speaker 4: So this is important to say in this context. It's like earlier I said kindness is important. I fully believe that, but this is also a good time to reiterate that you can be kind and acknowledge that this is so fucking stupid. And responsible. Right, Yeah, I am, I'm I'm similarly genuinely curious. I mean outside of just like appealing to people who love podcasts that are heavily advertised by supplements. Like that's who he's he's appealing to here, Yeah, people who love the podcast, the supplement pushers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like because they're like Robert E. Lee, that's like one of like it's all based on this fucking just weird rewriting of like the Civil War where a lot of these people like to be like robbery Lee wasn't a slave owner. And then it's like the fine print is like, uh okay, it's like he inherited slaves through his marriage or some shit, very reluctantly, and he fought numerous legal battles for his right to own slaves. But he's a goddamn hero. Okay, don't get focused on like the bad ship. And yeah, like this whole thing is about you. Hear this all the time with like you know, even the way people are kids are being taught about the Civil War, like it's more and more it's not about about like it wasn't about slavery, just about guys who like love.
Speaker 1: Their homeland and they're just defending their culture. That's all this whole thing was about. And then like, but don't look at them. Why these statues were erected or why these like forts were named after it. It's like these were a salve to the.
Speaker 2: Hurt feelings of white supremacists that felt fully defeated after.
Speaker 1: They were going to Yeah, they're erected during the ascendancy of the KKK, Like, yeah, and.
Speaker 4: We're going to arrest teachers that like actually tell you the story of what happened in the Civil War. But it's not about that.
Speaker 2: They're erasing history.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I think, no, it's your statue. I think to try and make these people to be some like these virtuous martyrs for.
Speaker 1: For just love their town man, that's all what was well.
Speaker 4: I think that, you know, And also like the contradiction. It's so interesting because it's like there's always like a big truth and a big lie being told simultaneously. And the truth is this is who we are, like it is it is part of they history that this has happened, and that's an important thing to acknowledge and sort of like what it represented. But then the lies in being like these people were good actually and it's like, no, we have to acknowledge that there's been a lot of bad yeah, yeah along the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are the people who fought for the rights of the South to own slaves. We don't want to erase that history. So here is a statue of them looking fucking awesome on horseback.
Speaker 4: Look at how many push ups you can do?
Speaker 2: Look Look how fucking barrel chest did that? Dude is bro Oh my god, but his kind face. Look at his arms like Christmas hams so big, so big and strong. Yeah, I mean like so like Trump, RFK is also opposed to the removal of these metal hunks of racist ideology. So yeah, I don't know if he wins any Biden voters with this, But again, this seems to be more of a contest of who can do the worst job in office rather than the best.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, go off, go off, RFK. Let him know, Let him know.
Speaker 4: Do you think he and Hines are going to get divorced after this? Like? Why is what's happening?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean I've had that thought for like eight years now, Like, well, surely this must be a point at which she's like what the fuck? But clearly, clearly, not like I remember early days she was like kind of distancing herself, but now she's like, you know, part of his campaign to run for president.
Speaker 4: I don't know, maybe that'll be the October surprise. It'll be the most biggest done of an October surprise, is that she divorces him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She just kind of seems to be like I don't Yeah, you know, he says stuff, but you know.
Speaker 1: We agree to disagree.
Speaker 2: I think was like the one of the last things I saw from Fox News March tense stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: You know, one of the things that I've learned, especially about politics, is you're not going to agree with somebody about everything and it's okay. So you know, we've we've learned to talk through it, talk it out, listen to each other, sometimes agree to disagree or say, oh, I'm going to think about that. I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to think about that.
Speaker 2: That COVID seems to not affect the Chinese and Ashkenazi Jews.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thanks, honey. I'm gonna let me take a second thought. Who do you think started at then if it doesn't affect then or are you just being I've recovered from the worm.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was back then when I was going through a divorce and it it suited me to be effected.
Speaker 1: Wow, she has like this very strange, very specific superpower to be like really endearing as the partner life partner wife of somebody saying like outrageous shit, like it's just she's used it. She took that and used it for the worst ends, like I you know, she she went from Larry on the show to just being like and now I apply that same kind of smile, roll your eyes and just be like, this is who I'm married. I guess energy to somebody who would fucking end the world.
Speaker 2: I think it's like it helps him a lot to have someone on the surface seemingly as saying, as Cheryl Hines beat to do like be good cop to his like whack job cop, you know act.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like it's like his fault first and foremost. I never want to be like, well this post in this is sort of you know whatever, but like she her not going, hey, guys, this is fucked and irresponsible. Is doing a lot of heavy lifting.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, it's but hey, it helps because pardon me, I remember for the longest time.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, Cheryl's like I liked Curbs so much. I'm like, well, if Cheryl's I mean, like she didn't put up with a lot of Larry's shit. You know, it kind of got to a breaking point with Larry, So this can't be it can't be that bad with RFK Junior Solf credit to that because that that protected him, in my mind, from any real criticism for a long time, until I started be like, wait.
Speaker 1: What the fuck is he actually saying, Robert, That's just what I picture her saying a lot, Robert, Robert, what are you saying?
Speaker 2: What did you just say in there on your interview?
Speaker 1: Just babe that you know it's Robert E.
Speaker 2: Lee was a good man and he didn't own slaves, Honey, he did.
Speaker 4: She's like, I'll think about that, Okay, go think about it.
Speaker 1: I'm just reading this book about a biography of Robert E. Lee, the Definitive One, and it's said that bitch quote between owning a handful of slaves from his own family and then managing his father in law's two hundred slaves, Lee was very, very involved with slavery during his life and up to the end of eighteen sixties. Okay, I'll think on it, honey, I'm going to think on this. There you go. All right, let's take a quick break, and when we come back, we'll get to the real news. The world's first airline for dogs.
Speaker 10: Here, Yes, and we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back. A lot of people are saying so, just personally, I root for the box office. I want to be able to continue to see movies in theaters like Reagan. You were just saying, off to the future. Yeah, like Reagan, Like reg I want to be able to Reagan in August when people aren't afraid to say shit anymore. But everybody likes a story about Hollywood's failing and they had a tough The people who pull for the box office had a tough weekend this past weekend as Furiosa, the Med Max prequel, and Garfield. A lot of people were like, this is going to be the next Barbenheimer gar Furiosa. I don't know if people were seriously saying.
Speaker 3: That, but I feel like I feel like it was just me. I was the only person who was loudly saying that.
Speaker 1: But that didn't happen at all. It was the worst Memorial Day weekend not counting the pandemic since the movie Casper with Christina Ricci in nineteen ninety five. Yeah, damn, almost thirty years. Wow. Yeah really, yeah, they broke the streak. Yeah, they really took it back to ninety five. Our writer JM says, by the way, Furiosa's way better than casper A. Furios is fantastic. Yeah, I mean I can only imagine. I we'll hopefully see it. But Casper, by the way, a children's movie in which it goes to by my mass is at least in his forties, relentlessly hits on Christina Ricci as a teenager. Yeah, but he's like a ghost, like but he's like a kid ghost, you know, he's perpetually a kid. But yeah, yeah, yeah, but it's also.
Speaker 3: Exactly certified Casper, certified pedaphigt.
Speaker 1: But yeah, furios is thirty two million. To put that in perspective, last year, Disney's A Little Mermaid remake made one hundred and eighteen million a Memorial Day weekend. The year before that, top Gun Maverick made one hundred and sixty million. Obviously, those were both massive hits, so.
Speaker 2: Let's just they're not on the same level like in terms of international fandom, Like I mean, I get obvious because Furry Road was huge, but not like to the place where you have people who like live and breathe a little Mermaid all the time, or like live and breathed top gun shit.
Speaker 1: Fury Road was like when it was coming out, we were all like, this is very silly, Like this seems like they have given a kooky old man a huge budget to make a film in which people like the names of the characters were the first thing to go viral because they were just like so over the top, right, And then it came out and was one of the best action movies ever made. And so I think people like, it's just so funny how people are like, so this helmer legged it out to four hundred million, so expect Furiosa to do the same. And it's like, well, it's not lightning in a bottle, Like you're not gonna always be able to capture lighting at a bottle the second time. And also it's a fucking prequel. How many times do we have to do this? You guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I will agree, And that's what I'm a huge Like, I know, I talk about Garfia a lot but I'm also just a huge like Mad Max post apocalyptic fan, So for me, this was just like this was genuinely weekend. I was like so soaked devoted. And you know, that's something that I really love about the Mad Max world is like you have a character named the Bullet Farmer who farms bullets and has bullets for teeth, and there's a point in like Fury Road where he pulls one of his bullet teeth out and then puts it in a gun and then shoots somebody with his bullet tooth. It's just like it's just watching like an insane fever dream for two hours. Oh yeah, And I super agree. I think that, you know, I think that Fury Road was like George Miller, I think is a fantastic director, But I think that Fury Road just the alchemy on it was like so perfect of it's just an insane car chase for two hours, you know, and Furiosa I think was good. But I do think that it was hurt by the fact that, like Fury Road came out like a decade ago, and though it's considered to be like the best movie the twenty tens, it's just been a little while I feel like, you know, just like the box office is a little bit fraction right now, and you know it Fury Road or Furiosa. It definitely had buzz of like, oh, this is a really good movie going into it, but it didn't necessarily have the like, holy shit, you have to see this, but yeah, you know, yeah, and I think it's gonna have a little bit of a long tail, assuming they don't just throw it on Max in two weeks or whatever. It's like, I think it's got good buzz, and I think that like next weekend and the weekend after that will probably also be I.
Speaker 1: Think we'll continue to see. Like it's just so the thing that happened about ten years ago is they let the marketing department take over what films got made and how they were developed. And so now that like the Marvel movies and all the franchisees have been like juiced dry, they're like, now have to like make movie movies again. And so it's like marketing people trying to make movie movies, and they're like, I don't know, make a prequel to that one from the Barbie movie, Like the best thing we love Gosling, Make a Gosling funny movie and it's just like they're pulling pieces out, but like this is they The thing that is making those first movies great is like the filmmaking and you know, the actual like things that actually drive creative inspiration and creative execution. And so I think we're going to continue to see like these types of like hyped movies like this isn't I think it's weird that this is being pitched as like a flop. That's not that big of a flop. It's like about what I would have expected it to do. But like, I think we'll see these movies underperform like big box office expectations, and then we'll see like surprise hits, Like we'll continue to see things like everything everywhere all at once that like nobody sees coming and just like get through by nailing it.
Speaker 3: I think it's also tough because the industry is very quick to label a movie as either a flop or a hit, like you know, day one of it being out sure and like I mean, I don't know. It's like when I was a kid, like Jurassic Park was in theaters for a year, you know, like like titan Next. Titanic is one of the most profitable movies of all time. It's opening weekend was like, fine, you know, it did like what like forty million or whatever it's or fifty million. It's opening weekend off of a several hundred million dollars project. I remember people were like, this is kind of a flop, guys. But then like, but then it's like second weekend, it did like thirty five million. It just kept going up six million, you know, and it just got that going for like twelve weeks or whatever. And I think that, like, you know, Fall Guys is another movie that I feel if people immediately label to flop, but then like you go to any screening week two and screenings were packed of people that are excited to see it. It's just like, you know, a little bit of patience would be appreciated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, But because they're they're like they're measuring it up against fucking Marvel movies. It's like, well, that's not how these are going to perform, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not going to do a four hundred million dollar opening weekend or something like well it should.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like that's my ass on the line, Okay.
Speaker 2: No, no, yeah, it's it's definitely like difficult, and I think, like to your point, Joey, like there is such a to immediately be like this is an impact right now, just over three days, I can tell you this is hit, this is flop, and yeah it's not. It's the worst way to assess a film. But yeah, I don't know. I don't know if they'll be able to fully quit the habit of like you know, it's like the sort of development process. Now it looks like they're just looking around the couch, like underneath the couch cushions for stuff.
Speaker 1: Then maybe they forgot about they can make a movie into They're like, oh, oh, what about this fucking thing too?
Speaker 4: I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Okay, so if Fury wrote a Furiosa was a flop, I gotta say the Garfield movie was a hit. It's made one hundred million dollars box office off a sixty million dollar budget so far.
Speaker 1: I know it's a hit. Well, but people are pulling at a flop. Like the headline is like, what Garfield and furios A flop at the box office, and it's.
Speaker 3: It's like no, the Garfield movie and the Garfield Movie came out in international territories like two weeks ago. So the just the so, but like it's made a hundred million dollars off a sixty million dollar budget, and I get furios a little or a little bit because it's got one hundred and fifty million dollar budget and it also made like thirty million dollars this weekend or whatever. So it's like that just has more of thee to make its money back. Where's the Garfield movie. It's made forty million in profit or whatever you know already, like and that's not even counting like promotional tie in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean speaking of promo you if you were, I saw you getting a lot of retweets this weekend in regards. Oh yeah, okay, so Garfield weekend and so this was this was a big weekend for me. I saw Furiosa, you know, with my my girlfriend on Friday and Imax, and then we planned basically all of Saturday and Sunday to be like Garfield Days. So as you know, any weekend is for me normally.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we basically set aside, yeah, you're not Monday, not Monday, So we set aside basically two days to do all of the Garfield promotional tie in things like Olive Garden had a deal where they've got like lasagna sponsored by the Garfield movie. There's I was that we were talking about that, like, I mean, it's Olive Garden. It's always all Garden hits, you know, especially those all of Like my girlfriend she commented on like she'd been this was her first time in an Olive Garden in like years, and she had a bred stick and she was like, oh, this is like real good.
Speaker 2: You know, it's the fucking taco bell of Italian food of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was great as like we walked in the door wearing like very elaborate Garfield shirts, and the people at the counter immediately like gave us Garfield Children's menu coloring books yes, and then and then because they were just like, oh, you guys should have these. And then we sat down at our table and our Garfield coloring books were next to it, next to us when the waiter walked up and they were like, oh, do you want us to like wait for your kids to get here, and you were like no, we're two adults, we're ship the fuck up. So so our Saturday.
Speaker 2: We ate all guard Where do you think my kids are.
Speaker 1: Two parents are just waiting. Happened a lot like separately.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, for sure they didn't go to the bathroom on their own or whatever. Right, But so like we ate at this, We ate this this three course lasagna meal at Olive Garden, and then afterwards we were going to check into Motel six, who has a thing they're calling the Garfield Suite, which is for there's like ten locations in America that have one room decked out in Garfield merchandise that's called the Garfield Suite. It's hard to book. You have to like call it in in order to get the room. It's like it's and when I called in, it was like the most nerve wracking, Like, oh I got a book this, I got to book this. Yeah, like twelve people like texted to me or whatever. So after we had our like Olive Garden meal, we get to the Motel six by Lax, which is the only motel in Los Angeles that had the Garfield Suite, wearing our elaborate Garfield shirts. We're getting ready to check in. They're like talking about like, oh, you guys must be really big Garfield fans because we're like wearing our shirts you're like, garfae, Yeah, they're about to check us in. They like turn around the thing for me to sign, and they stop and say, wait, we double booked the room. And when we looked to the right and saw somebody like two cats registers over just covered in Garfield are tattoos bizarre.
Speaker 1: Basically like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So it was the odds of like we they double booked the room, this Garfield suite, and the two people the two groups of people who booked the room showed up at the exact same time that took yeah, yeah, and it was it was intense. It was like people were like like they were like tears about to be shed, like you know, it was. It was we were all very passionately but like politely but very passionately fighting over this room themed after a nineteen seventies comic book character, right, and finally, you know, yeah for sure, for sure, for sure So finally yeah. So the resolution was basically like we kind of realized, okay, like there's no way that both all of us are going to get this room, you know, it's it's it's just not gonna happen. So instead what we did is we were like, will you like give us a refund and just let us take like fun selfies in this room. Right, So they like they said like oh thank god, yes, and they brought us into the room and we like got we took got like five minutes worth of pictures in the room and then we left and yeah, it was just such a wild experience. You just filed that bedroom just for good measure. Oh yeah, I for sure took a ship in the ode. No, we tried to be like really cool and yeah yeah, but like so I posted about this on Twitter and it like blew up and now it's like I think, like the thrillest it like interviewed me about it this morning.
Speaker 1: Was like articles during.
Speaker 3: Write ups, it's like it's uh, like the producer of the Garfield movie like posted about on an Instagram. It's like, dude, hopefully this will lead to something really dope rather than a Motel six room with just like merror orange.
Speaker 1: Stuff on the walls.
Speaker 2: And they're like, no, man, we want to offer you something even better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we want to offer you the Heathcliff suite. Yeah, the dumpster.
Speaker 2: Wait, so was the because because you seated the room to this other person?
Speaker 1: Were they grateful? How did that play out.
Speaker 3: I mean honestly, so I would say that this is a situation of like a bunch of you know, for sure, grown adults without children. I get that, who were all just like okay, we like understand this and like you know, and everybody was very It was like the sort of thing where it's like nobody nobody wanted to use the I need to speak to the manager tone.
Speaker 1: Right, but it was more like a ship Are you serious? Yeah, yeah, like you like.
Speaker 3: Don't like I don't know, there's like glts in the system. Oh and another fun detail is they were like we could like reschedule. They were first they were like, we can give you an upgrade on your Motel six room, and we were like no. And then the second thing they offered is like very specific yeah. And the second thing that they offered was like, oh yeah, we've so we do have one day in this entire promotion where the room is still available. You can put change your to that it's on a Monday. And I was wearing a T shirt that had fuck Mondays on it, and I was like, that's even less.
Speaker 1: Of an uption. Are you fucking serious?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they offered us the room on a Monday, uh with me right now? And like, and I think my girlfriend, she's very my girlfriend who's very kind and very sweet. Her name's Goldie, said very sincerely to the Motel Sex employee. You don't understand Garfield hates mondays as a justified reason for us to not get the room on a Monday.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Rare, you know, right right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the resolution is, yeah, so we got we took a couple of selfies in the room and you know, kind of and seated the room. And you know that the other person they were very grateful and motes stics employees. I think we're just happy to not have like a fist fight break out over a Garfield room.
Speaker 2: Well that's good that, like you had self both parties had self awareness in the in the incident, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like Motel six, we we talked over social media a little bit and they're going to send us like a nice gift basket. So it's like, you know, it's like there, I feel like we're all trying to like treat the situation. Okay, you know, yeah, yeah, I was unexpected thing. I did not expect to maybe get into a fist fight over a Garfield suite this week?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know I will put my money on you in Goldie though. Oh how many second? Yeah? You saw how many pull ups?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, man, you'd be like, hold on before you want to fucking ball your fists up in front of you.
Speaker 1: Watch this ship. You do one pull up now, very struggled, like, I'm definitely going like shaking later, Hey, where are you going? Where are you going? Producer Justin Connor was like, is this gonna be like the beginning of Barbarian? Like yeah, like you check in and then the people show up?
Speaker 3: What if Barbarian was in the I think you should leave sketch from Dark right, the Garfield sketch for the usually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, that's gonna do it for this week's weekly Zeitgeist. Please like and review the show if you like. The show means the world to Miles. He he needs your validation, folks. I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to you Monday. By Fan The Banking