Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh, I am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast, one of them productions iHeart Radio Media and Podcast. We are going to recap Double Date Season one, episode twelve with our very very special guest, Rose Abdu played Gypsy as you all know, and we're going to be joined by the one, the only one of the key members of the Intrepid Crew, Susan Franch. Hello, Susan, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm good? How are you good?
Speaker 4: To see you?
Speaker 1: It's been a while. I don't get to see you guys anymore. You miss.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows we're kind of all doing our own thing.
Speaker 1: We're not everybody's like, you know, everybody got their own spin offs and you're all super star now. You know, I have to I have to call everybody's assistance now just to connect. You know. It's like everybody's like got bodyguards and it's it's it's just wild. It's just wild. Your life has changed in radical ways, hasn't it. Huh. You know?
Speaker 3: I actually at the uh the event at Warner Brothers, someone actually asked me for my autograph. It was a lovely woman from San Diego. I want to say her name was Sherry. I'm sorry if I'm getting that wrong. But it was great, So yes I am. You know, people are just recognizing me everywhere I go.
Speaker 4: It's it's just had to have it.
Speaker 1: It's awesome. We're going to bring in Rose. Rose is in the green room and she is being treated to some delicious coffees and some treats. But let's just bring her in. Is roone in more episodes? He's in one more, He's in one more? Right? Yeah, okay, all right? Good. I thought he really went at Laurele.
Speaker 4: I yes, oh yeah, I thought he did. Maybe it's the first time because I I was like, he's so mean. Why didn't he stay at home? I was so mad. Just because he's visiting, he doesn't have to go out on the day. He can stay home one night. I was so mad. I loved it.
Speaker 1: This The setup was just great. Yeah, it was just great. I need I need a private moment with you alone, Jackson. I need to talk to you. She's a giant. She's too tall, such a quirky, great actor. Max Perlick is right. I mean it just shows you, you know, there's no small roles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he had that. He had the look of someone who would have been in like an Andy Hardy movie, you know, like that old fashioned.
Speaker 1: Like a Steinbeck. Yeh, he's like from the Depression.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, was his little cap.
Speaker 1: Bro something newsboy.
Speaker 4: Amy and Dan love those faces of people that look like they could have been in like an old Judy Garland Mickey Rooney movie. Yeah, yeah, I loved him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Max was he was something. He's something and he was in He was in that Johnny Depp movie THEO called Blow. Remember did you see?
Speaker 4: Oh really? I think I did see Blow, but I don't remember him.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he was the guy. He was the he was the East Coast connection okay for the Ganja And he said, he said, you guys are missing out on there's like five colleges up here, rich kids. They said, you guys are missing out on all this cash. He was the one that kept saying to Johnny Depp's girlfriend who became his wife, I need more more, I need more the Storiess remember anyway, anyway, Max is just he's very memorable. Uh. He really gave this a lift. Yeah. Uh the Suki stuff huh.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. I loved seeing you know, this was so fun for me to do because at first when you asked me, I was like, I'm not in that. Why am I talking about it? I thought, wait a minute, I don't know the show as well as the fans. I need to watch season one, So I thought we were going to talk about First I thought it was nine, then I thought it was ten. So I started at like nine, and then they said, oh no, it's twelve. So I binged. I was watching. I watched like five of them last night, and I said, I wonder people love this. It's so good.
Speaker 3: You know, these are so good.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 4: I've never seen season one, and I found myself like, wow, this is how Suki and Jackson started. You know that he brought all those carrots, which was so funny because he brought her this giant, you know, box of carrots that look so glorious. Then later he says, the carrots have been so mealy this year that I loved, and I love seeing her get all excited and put her hair up, but you know, like just getting ready for the date with him, so cute.
Speaker 1: But did you want to did you want to smack Jackson around? A little bit and like step up and ask her out already.
Speaker 4: Yes, but all guys, I mean, come on, guys, they don't get a clue. They do not catch a clue. You could land the giant. My own husband I had to like, how come I can't close the deal on this guy, like gave him my number? You know. It just it reminded everybody in the show reminds me of a real life situation that I've heard from girlfriends of mine. They don't get a clue, Scotty dense.
Speaker 3: I completely. I had to do the same thing with my husband.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really are guys dumb and terrified?
Speaker 4: They're kind of dumb. Yeah, a lot of Look, you know what it is, I've learned. I love guys, and I really have always had guy friends, but I feel like they really don't want to like the kind that want to assume you don't want to have anything to do with right, that are too confident. But the guy the really sweet guys are like, well, I don't want to think that she meant more than friends, Like they're they're just sweet, Like they're kind of clueless in a cute way. But it was so funny and realistic to me. The way Jackson and Suki got together so cute, and how she's nervous.
Speaker 3: He goes on to be during the seven seasons, He's like, he could be a little passive aggressive. So I think it was kind of within his character that Suki asked him out, so he was waiting for her to make the next connection, right, I thought that was kind of a character for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was so cute. I just love that the mother jo they were both on double dates in the same episode, was so cute and how Laane. We've all been there where you're like, I like your boyfriend's friend and then you meet him and he's just no, the worst Todd.
Speaker 1: He was like a nonverbal room, right, that's a good way to put it. Non but but Roone seemed at least it Rune seemed somewhat intelligent. Yeah, I mean the Lane's date was just like whoa Spricoli?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm terreful and she's just trying to like name music and books and nothing with that guy. I also laughed at the idea that Rune kept saying, she's huge, She's giant, she's so tall. And then they go to the movie. They go to see his attack of the fifty foot one. I love those details like that, Yeah, where you really have to pay attention. But when they're on the date, I just it brings to mind your own like bad dates. And when Rune was he was carving butter, like.
Speaker 1: The butter, you know, he was cutting the heads off the swans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cutting the heads off the swan. This is such a weird tidbit. My own sister works for a company that makes those sculptures out of butter. Oh really Yeah, in Michigan they make little trees and little lambs and little and so is it a mold?
Speaker 3: How did they do that?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's got to be a mold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're molds.
Speaker 3: It was so big though, it was like, yeah, no they are, like that's a big hunk of buck.
Speaker 4: Yeah they do. They sell trees, They sell turkeys at at Thanksgiving, they sell trees at Christmas, lambs at Easter. So it really made me laugh that he was cutting the heads off off the swans. So funny. And then they couldn't relax till they got to your place. Oh my gosh. And then I wanted to ask you, I've I've never heard of five card draw I don't know what five card draw is, Like, what was the point of the how do you win five card draw?
Speaker 1: Poker? It's a poker game.
Speaker 4: Oh I didn't know. I didn't know.
Speaker 1: It's just poker. It's just poker.
Speaker 4: I always assumed you couldn't play poker with just two people.
Speaker 1: Of course you can.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I learned something.
Speaker 1: You could play against yourself if you want to.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's right, people play the Yeah. But I was like, I think I'm not alone in that. When missus Kim comes in, we're like, no, you're interrupting. I was so mad at her, Right, you didn't get out of there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I lost opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Luke used to be very laid back, wasn't he didn't You do you notice that he's very laid back and scary. It's just sort of kind of quiet.
Speaker 3: Very stoic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right right, Yeah, he got louder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lots of opinions. Yeah, he makes his opinions.
Speaker 1: Know.
Speaker 4: I love the no cell phone rule. It is so funny to me, like he's just committed to that. Like that tells you something about his whole personality, is that he's just like not in here and not talking on the phone in my defe connect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but not with like you know, on their phone right.
Speaker 3: Well, and back then, like this was still the pre smartphone era, so he he didn't even want this was still like you know, flip phones, and like when it really was just a phone, and he's still you know, he he had no way, none of us had any way of knowing like what a phone was going to turn into, you know, in the coming years.
Speaker 1: But I never had a flip phone.
Speaker 3: I had a BlackBerry, I had Blackberries, I had a flip phone before that. I actually had a Nokia flip phone that I loved. And then my.
Speaker 4: First cell phone was like the size of a man's shoe, right huge. You had one of those, yeah, like a big sprint.
Speaker 1: It was like a brick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was mostly battery. Like it was like a giant.
Speaker 1: That giant phone that Michael Douglas had in Wall Street on the beach and calling Charlie Sheen just wired eight hundred grand Hong Kong girls, this is your wake up call, pal. It's like this bigger than his head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a shoe like Radars phone on mash that I always wanted a big but well there was a comedian named Tony Fields who used to guest on MERV Griffin show. Oh, sure, you'd have a phone in her purse, like I think even with the little coil wire, you know. And I was a little girl, I was like, having a phone in your purse would be the greatest thing in the world. And now it's like I can't. I can't go anywhere with them. I'm so addicted to it. It's really not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we lost the power out here a couple of times through the fires, and so Wi Fi was all shut down. You couldn't, you could get any signals. You're just completely down, down, down. It's a terrible feeling.
Speaker 4: Do you do that thing where like if the power goes out in my house, I still continue to flick on light switches just out of habit. It doesn't in the microwave. I'm like, oh, like I can't, I can't make my mind. There's nothing.
Speaker 1: And I won't allow candles because they're dangerous and talk. So we have these LED lights.
Speaker 4: We have like like rechargeable little lantern there.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think you can recharge it, but there, yes, no, they are recharging. But we have dozens of them, so we lit up the place that looked like, uh, I don't look like some kind of well I won't say, but it's very seductive looked, but we could see Yeah, well all we needed was some saxophone music, and it's like, you know club.
Speaker 4: I love the just the idea that they're all in the town, that the that the that Lane could get home really quickly. You know, I really got the sense of because i've it's I'm I haven't seen season one, so I'm I'm new to it. I started at the episode where Rory and Dean go to the dance, or maybe the one before that, but I love how they can run home quickly from like where there's the red white and blue or red white and blue. Oh, it's the name of the movie theater black white and red, black white and red.
Speaker 1: Of course, where is Okay? So in relation to Okay, I know where Laurelized house is right on the lot right, But is that that's not where Rory was that where she ran home to in the series, because because Lane lived over there. So Kim's Antiques is two houses down from Laurel's house. It's on the corner right, But that's not how it is in the series, right, I.
Speaker 4: Don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they never really specified exactly where Laurel's.
Speaker 1: House is, but I always thought it was like blocks away. It was blocks.
Speaker 3: Away, Yeah, yeah, it wasn't on that same street with them.
Speaker 1: No, it's not like they could walk to the diner, right, she could, they could walk to the diner.
Speaker 4: I love how she leaves Lane or Rory leaves Laurelai in your diner because Lane gets a reprieve from missus Kimmon is allowed to stand in her front yard for a couple of minutes, so she wants to talk to her. So she's like, wait, your hamburger's coming. She do zom be right back. So she leaves and goes to rent. So I'm like, well, how how far is she going from the diner back to the yard to yell at Lane in her front yard. That's kind of funny to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, missus Kim's tough. Oh my god, she's really she's but you see how Ruth's My god.
Speaker 4: She's so committed to that. And I love though you break it, you buy it. You have to bring anything you must purchase, and Laura Lai of course at the end, has to break something too. Yeah, by dollar Base.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my.
Speaker 4: God, I love that she had to buy it so cute.
Speaker 1: I really felt bad for Lane. Yeah, this episode really felt bad. It's like, deal with that. Yeah, and that said, those are the only two people in the house, right, doesn't have any sisters or brothers. There's no father.
Speaker 4: It's just she says we. Missus Kim keeps saying we like she does have a dad. You don't see it.
Speaker 3: They refer to Lane's parents in the plural, but we never see.
Speaker 4: Never see him bad. Yeah, but Gypsy's never met missus Kim in the show.
Speaker 1: Oh really, that's so weird. You're right next door. Well at least at least on the lot.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but you know, and there's no episode where they where they meet, because I remember meeting her, me meeting Emily and going like, I don't know you, Like I had never crossed pants with her. It's so funny.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you two would have gotten along. I don't think you would have liked that.
Speaker 4: Gypsy and missus Kim probably, I think it's.
Speaker 1: Like that's clashing right there, Like you would say, what do you why are you treating your dog? That way, what's your problem?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I found it still online of me for an episode that I had forgotten. Where Gypsy's at the counter eating. I think it's when Laurli was upstairs and she comes downstairs and I'm sitting at the counter. I had forgotten. Somebody sent the picture of it to me, and I had completely forgotten that. It was the only time I'd ever gotten to eat in the.
Speaker 1: Diner really one time. That's it.
Speaker 4: It was exciting.
Speaker 1: Huh. Yeah, where'd you sit? Were you at the counter?
Speaker 4: At the counter?
Speaker 1: Oh? Prime seating?
Speaker 4: Crime seed?
Speaker 1: Did I serve you? Or sorry, did Luke serve I.
Speaker 4: Think Caesar maybe serve me. I know I had eggs and bacon. I remember that, and I remember having to look up because I saw her. Yeah, that was funny.
Speaker 3: That was the episode where Luke and Laurel I slept together for the first time, and Laurela I didn't know the diner was opened because Luke upstairs in bed, and so she came down into the diner to get coffee and opens the curtain and like the diner's full people.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it. I love what we learned about about him, like just the idea that that was their first I don't know if that was the first like super flirty moment, but all I know is when missus Kim came and interrupted it, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, God, well we well we definitely say that he's really interested in her. Yeah, and she's kind of like, hmm maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's considering it.
Speaker 1: He's considering it. Now It's like, oh yeah, oh, I love it.
Speaker 3: And I definitely got that at the end of that episode.
Speaker 4: And then did I keep going when I saw the am I getting ahead of myself when I saw the shirt from the clothing drive. That's the next one, right, We're not there yet, no, no, but I have plenty to say about that one.
Speaker 1: So we'll get a lot of trouble.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, stick, I mean the higher ups.
Speaker 1: Are just you know, they knock on your door at three am. It's Scott. You got to come with us now.
Speaker 4: The double date so cute, put a blindfold on you. I loved how Dean like he's made. They make a big deal about how tal Dean is too. They talk about that a lot, like her classmates talk about how tal he is and how he's this dorky friend that's so real too. That guys are like there's always like a cool one and a dorky one, right, Like that was kind of perfect. That Todd was kind of like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and and that they only get together to work on their bikes, and Deane didn't really know anything about him other than that, like that's a total guy thing, like oh, backed over one thing and they don't know anything else about it.
Speaker 1: But but but Dean was definitely right that it wasn't going to be a good match. He tried to Warner. I don't say it, but.
Speaker 4: Scott, are you like this where you could spend a whole afternoon, Like if my husband's with his friend the whole afternoon, You're like, oh, well, what did he tell you? It's like, I don't know. We didn't really talk about it. What do you mean you didn't talk about it? Like what did you talk about? Because if I come home from an evening with my girlfriend, I'd be like, well, she said this, she wants going on vacation. She was talking to this person. She's going to have this procedure done to you know, like we know so many details. And they're like, I don't know, we just hung out.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, we don't really gab that way. You know, if we're watching sports, then we don't gab at all, right, just screaming at the and then turning to each other going saying that guy stinks or that guy's awesome, and whoa, whoa, whoa, you want another beer? And if you're on the golf course, you might gab a little, you know, just to talk about something else besides your crappy shots that you're making, you know, when to dwelve.
Speaker 4: That struck me. And also the idea that they could finally relax because they're in this diner and that's so like my husband is like he he, it seems like I get the most romantic energy off of him in a place like a diner, home depot, Costco, snack bar. Like he's just in a fancy place, very uncomfortable. Yeah, nothing to talk about. So I thought that was another really cool thing that it's like they couldn't get to giggling and being like fun date with each other until they were in like the comfort of having burgers at Luke's.
Speaker 1: I thought, I thought she was just gonna pass out, so get she you know, she created so much tension. You know, she's so dynamic as an actress and she's so full in every moment. Yes, and it's like you're just It's like I was exhausted after watching it. She did it. I know, she's so good concentration right, and it's yeah.
Speaker 4: And the choice to have her hair up like a sixties prom date, you know, like he was so molded. She was trying to be like date Suki.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when they first came to the door and the back and forth with Jackson and Suki and the hi hi hi hi, Like that was so funny.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love her room right away. Did not like Flora. I it's funny to put that character in such a position because she's so beautiful and to have this guy be like new Ew, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably not something she runs into a lot as Flora Gilmore.
Speaker 4: It made me remember update I had the guy. I think he was trying to like, you know, impress me or whatever. He was a lighting designer, really nice guy, but he said, oh, I bet everyone brings you candy and flowers on every date. And I was kind of like, he brought me a bag of flower.
Speaker 1: A bag of flower got.
Speaker 4: To be different because he's like, you know, get it. It's like flower but it's I was like, oh my god, what do I And then we met out, like he didn't pick me up at my house, so it's not like I could take the flower and just put it in my kitchen. At a restaurant and he hands me this bag, so I try and get get up and leave, and I had it under my chair. He goes, waita, don't forget We're going to see a play afterwards. Don't forget your flower. I'm like, oh, I got help. It felt like one of those experiments where you teachers give the kid a bag because you have to like pretend it's a baby and not let anything happen to it. Oh my god, this stupid bag of flower. The whole night I'm carrying around and the candy he got me was a flintstone pez oh get it? Like yeah, but dah, but oh my god, it.
Speaker 1: Was wow magic. That's when the magic happens.
Speaker 4: The room date uncomfortableness put me right. I hadn't thought about that and forever, so I was like, all right, it's another thing this show is good for to get, like therapy for your bad The bad dates so cute, but can you imagine having a mom where you have to like make up something because she can't. You can't even go to the movies with a boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in that little town and that little harmless, safe, little bubble of a town, and missus Kim's freaking out all over the place like her daughter just you know, walked into I know, it's just like what.
Speaker 4: I love that they had that because it really makes for like, you know, and then you go, well, you know, Laura I really won her over because you would think that missus Kim would never want her daughter to be friends. That's how cool Laura I and Rory were that she would allow her daughter to be friends with this very young mother who seems so like liberal. And you know that she must have loved Rory and both of them to let her even hang out with her.
Speaker 1: You know, I love that boys don't like funny girls.
Speaker 3: I liked that conversation that when Laurel I went to missus Kim's and tried to kind of talk to her about you know, Laurel I was trying to show her own experience with a super controlling mother and try to get missus Kim to kind of lighten up a little bit, and then takes kind of takes the edge off by saying, you know, I did what did missus Kim say something like I don't. I don't want Lane to end up like you either. It was a cute little moment, but at the same time, it was like it was kind of loaded with, you know the implications of you know, missus Kim's parenting choices.
Speaker 4: I thought it was that was Yeah, I like that missus Kim even lets Lane be friends with Rhori, because you would think she would have such judgments about how Laura I had this baby very young and everything, you know. But I loved it, and I was thinking, you know what, I loved how it opens with the choreography of them in the kitchen. Yes, they know each other so well they can feel each other out and making the caffe and the pop tarts and them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a great scene.
Speaker 1: No scene like that. And Kramer Versus reminded me of Cramer Versus.
Speaker 4: Yes, I remember that where they're making the French toast. Yeah, it becomes so elegant. At first, it's so awkward because they dip the bread in the mug, and then later when they get their groove going, they can just make.
Speaker 1: Now they got their routine down. Yeah, they're just they're adjusting to being abandoned right right.
Speaker 4: That tell so much about those two people and the way they just take care of each other through nonverbal things like the coffee, the pop tart that you.
Speaker 1: Know, got to have your routine, man, it gets you through the day. Yeah. Uh, let's so we got you know, we got a little Dean and Rory makeout session on the bench outside in in the town right square.
Speaker 4: There for everyone walking by.
Speaker 1: The seat, like just right right in front of every all the high school kids. Yeah, and he's just he's just going in for more and more, and she's like, dude, well I got to talk to you so cute.
Speaker 4: I love it and I love that it's perfect. He was played perfectly by Jared too, because it's like he can't say no to this sweet girl. It's like, oh, this is such a bad idea, but I'm just going to agree to it because she wants it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I don't know why. I'm always surprised that when guys are really good actors, because girls are just such great actresses. Girls are so good at this that it's not even fair. And but he held his own, didn't Oh, yeah, he was. He's good.
Speaker 4: Nuts in really good.
Speaker 1: He's really good.
Speaker 4: I've always loved him. I just think he's my very first episodes with him. We'll talk about that when we get to that part. Okay, I guess I come back when I come back. But I love this opportunity to get to see Oh that's how it started with this one. This one, you know, it was so cute. Well, I love that moment where Lorelai says might have been in eleven or something where she just says to Suki, we when's the last time you've been in a relationship and Suki gets like hurt and then she says, I'm sorry, I'm a jerk, you know, and then you think like, oh, it's the moment where you go, I want Suki to have a boyfriend. So it's very satisfying it.
Speaker 1: Oh's right where she says, oh, like I'm taking advice from somebody who don't even have her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a little harsh, and then you're just like, oh, wait a minute. When he comes, of course, that's perfect. When she asked them where she's like, wait a minute, was he only saying yes because he I'm his employer? Practically because I order produce from him, So she thinks that she's like, did I harass him into this or something? You know, is he yes? Does he have to say yes because he's one of my suppliers or whatever. That was really funny. Yeah, you know, she's like questioning weight did he really like her or did she force him into it or whatever. It's just so real.
Speaker 1: I love it. It is, it is, it is, and it's Todd decides to get talkative inside the movie theater during the movie, like the guy has nothing to.
Speaker 4: Say, and then he loves Beethoven or something. Right, he loves the movie.
Speaker 1: The movie, the movie.
Speaker 4: But the dog, she goes, she's so much smarter than him. That's sweet. It's good because the show has all types like it doesn't. You can't say that this show all all the guys are dumb, all the girls that are too smart for the guys. No, it's like there's such a good balance of all personality types that everyone's met in their real life. So yeah, yeah, and I really was like, girls really like a crabby guy, Like I have so many friends that are so Luke is like there everything. They really like a guy who kind of gives them a little shit doesn't really show that they like them difficult. You know when people always say, oh, guys love to be the hunter, you know, like they want to hunt girls like that. Girls they like a guy who's a challenge, who's not all over them.
Speaker 3: Not calling.
Speaker 4: Was like, okay, yeah, all right, if you want to. They love it.
Speaker 1: That's a high value man right there. He's busy. Okay, I'll get to you. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: But he'll like do nice things for you, like make you a special but not making your coffee hut when you least.
Speaker 1: Amy really knew what she was doing. Amy really knew what she is. Like, the more I watch this thing and and Rose, you know this how difficult it is and how rare it is for a writer to to create one or two distinctive character voices. But in this show, we've got you know, we've got a dozen, exactly, We've got more. There's more than a does. Yeah, it's like, how do you do that? They're all so distinctive and different and unique. Yep.
Speaker 4: And that's the why it resonates. I think with people is that I think there are people that remind me of everyone that I know in real life you know, they have elements of the different people, and that's it's so much fun fun to watch that the way they react. Yeah, like you well, I remember in the in the reboot when there was a line and I think they were trying to give me a line that I went, this sounds it sounds like Miss Patty, and sure enough it was for her. And then it was a whole thing. But it's like the characters. If you read something, you go, oh, Bebett would have said, if you don't know who said it, you go that for sure. Baybet said that for sure. Luke said that for sure, like you're saying, you know, they were so so clear, really wonderful.
Speaker 1: They were so well defined that that's why Amy knew who who was perfect for each role, right, didn't care about the resume so much or their name value. Right, you just knew, oh that one right, that's that's the rhythm, that's the vibe, right, that's it. Yeah, God, really good, so specific. Wow.
Speaker 4: You know it's made me want to well, it's made me want to go back and watch all of I mean, I have to catch up and really get in here. I really want to. It'll be interesting to get to the ones that I did early on because I feel like it'll bring back memories of doing, you know, being there. But it's fun to see this town before I got there, you know, That's what was fun. It is fun to watch like nine and ten, eleven twelve of season one, you don't see a Kirk, you don't see you know, you don't see you see Taylor like once or something like you don't It starts to get more towny and town meeting me later. So I think that was so smart too, that in the first parts you really establish the mother daughter the friends you know at school at Chiltern. It's really cool and cool that Rory has to you know, these friends that are like her children friends are so different from her Lane Dean like vibe. I love that, which is so you know, like her life. Like she's got her Richard and Emily world that she has to be at Friday night dinner, and then she's got her like fun hanging out with Lane and Dean world. But these kids that she's chosen to be super close with aren't from the stuffy, you know, private school world at all, and that's what makes her she's just so cool. Like she comes off as like wow, you just want to be friends with Rory because she's so innocent, And then all of a sudden she'll say something super snarky to her mom, and you can like, wait, is she the mom? She's got the right now, you know, I love them.
Speaker 1: She's that small town nice girl, you know. Yeah, where everybody knows each other, everybody's accountable, everybody treats each other well, everybody's got each other's back. Somebody needs some money, it appears, you know, it's like it's it's that small town. It's just so appealing. Yeah, it's so appealing now.
Speaker 4: I exactly. I see now how Luke is so invested in her, like when she's graduate, you know, way down the line. You go, oh, of course he's so invested. He's known her since she's like this little kid, you know, and watch someone grow up, you see, you see everything about them that's very comforting to people. It's like, you know, with everything going on, I was kind of like people were texting me about the news yesterday and I was like, I've been in stars Hollow all day. It's like, no wonder people do this. This is really comforting to be in this alternity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you come out of it and it's like, hey, yeah, yeah, let's going just.
Speaker 4: Go right back and right.
Speaker 3: This episode in particular is entirely in stars Hollow, Like there's no rich Emily, there's no chiltern. Right well, episode was in stars Hollow, and so it really does kind of immerse you in that world and then you look up and you're like, oh wait, this isn't why right?
Speaker 4: I love that. That's what made me start thinking about like how close together are all the businesses? You know, Like in an earlier one, she runs out out the from Ms Patty's back home and I'm like, does she have shoes on? What's going on? Is she running in the snow? And I love in this one, Laura I says something like especially when you have my shoes on, Like I don't. It's so funny, but it got me really thinking about the proximity of different things because of this episode of the town of like where was the fancy French restaurant in relation to Luke's in relation to you know, their house and all that. It was so funny, but everyone's been on a bad double date where you're just like, ah, I did this as a favor, and I just went out. They really captured that perfectly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I loved the parallel stories of the two best friends, like it was. It was just a nice It was just good to see those sides of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 1: You know with all the guest roles, you've done right, and you just did something on sex life of college girls, right, Yeah, So what's it like? You know? And I used to do this early in my career. I haven't done this in so long, but I kind of miss it because I enjoyed it, you know, sort of dropping into an established show, the cast already has the rhythm going. You know, tell us what's what's that experience is like for you?
Speaker 4: In a way, it's so fun because, you know, especially when the cast is very welcoming, because I always think of it like, I mean, I was a series regular once. Well now it took thirty years for me to be serious regular again. But I feel like it's like hosting a party and you have to be really nice to the guests that come in, and some casts are super welcoming, and some of them are kind of like, oh, you're just I'm not getting attached to you because you're just going to be here for a little bit. It's a super fun when they're very welcoming. But I always look around like you have to hit the ground running, know your stuff, not cause any problems, you know, be on time, be not the person that goes. Can I get another take of that? That is not what you can do. I always think like, just give it to them, give them everything in the first take, because you just don't want to. I don't want to waste anyone's time. So to me, it's very it's high pressure. It's a lot of fun, but it's it's a lot it's a lot of pressure because like something like Scandal, this is a well oiled machine. These people talk really quickly there really know the stuff. And I've got to come in and do like a press conference where I'm trying to impeach the president and you're downtown in LA and there's all these cameras pointing at you, and you have to just do it flawlessly. That's and when you do it, you feel like I just jumped out of an airplane. I mean, you really feel it out of yourself. But it's a lot of pressure. And really that cast was so nice to me. The Scandal people, Oh were they so nice. Kerrie Washington super nice. And you know what other cast is so welcoming ghosts. I got to go up to Montreal and do something for CBS Ghosts. They're the nicest people. It was really fun, but you can't look at them, like if anybody watches that show, the people don't see the ghosts, well they're right there. That there was a challenge, like you're like, I'm not looked even though they're right there. That was really fun. But yeah, I like it. I like to pick up and you really pick up what's going on really from the makeup trailer. Let's face it, people they tell you everything of what's going to be happening, how fast it goes. Do we do a lot of coverage? You know, they know everything, so they have to super fun.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about hacks. It's such a critical darling, right, yeah, fan favorite.
Speaker 4: So what's the Globe winning?
Speaker 1: Yes, Golden Globe winning.
Speaker 4: Critics Choice Dominated, Screen Actors Guild nominated. I'm so proud of it. I'm so proud of it.
Speaker 1: It should be. You know, what's it like being on that ride? It's so much fun.
Speaker 4: You know, I was telling a friend of mine it was so challenged It was so gratifying to have the third season be so well received because we had to stop for COVID. Well, the first season was, like I always tell people, I never saw anybody from I didn't know what anybody looked like on camera. I did, but the whole crew, once I saw them without their masks, I was I didn't know anybody.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 4: We never saw each other, and we couldn't get to know each other as cast mates because we had to sit six feet apart. Very difficult to make that first season in really the height of like no vaccines. We didn't know what was going on. Second season still masking up. Third season, we had to stop because people were catching COVID. Then we stopped again for a health challenge that Gene went through, which is people know about. And then we stopped again for a huge chunk of time for the strike. So it was like we stopped so many times. I thought, Oh my god, the fact that they put it together. I love the show so much. I feel like the third season is even stronger than the first two. And to me, they have all those breaks and still have it that well. Was just really exciting to have it so well received. I might have said this when I was your guest on your Christmas Time podcast, which was so much fun. That day was so much fun when we got to go hang out you know at Brothers. It's a it's such a fun show. And this fourth season is there's a lot of guest stars, which is super fun for me as a viewer of it. You know what, I have liked to have done more. Of course, I always want to do more as my character, but it's so much fun for me to watch that at the table read Scott. I love the show so much. I almost want to like just delete my memory bank of what I just read so I can enjoy it again as a as a viewer, I just love it. Yeah, it's really the season four is going to be. People are gonna love it where it goes with their relationship too, especially talk about a great relationship like generational, like Rory Laureli Is Ava Debra. You get the two generations up against each other. It's fantastic. That's why I think people love Gilmore is because you always see like the Rory point of view, the Laurela, the Ema point of view. You know. I love things like that where you get different ages of people in the same show. That's the best, that's the best.
Speaker 1: Did you expect and I'm sure you didn't. But what's it like having gypsy so it resonates so much with the fan base. I can and we and you were there. You were there December eighteenth when we kicked off holidays made here at Warner Brothers. And that was you know what was that four thousand people? I mean it was just like, they love you.
Speaker 4: It's so sweet of you. Thank you for giving me that opportunity first of all. And we felt like on that stage it felt like rock stars. I mean, we were like we had the stage. I was like, this is the coolest thing. They're so happy. The exchange of energy is so incredible. These fans are just they just know the show backwards. And what I couldn't get over was all the souvenirs. You know, there's some great merchandise, let's face it, like really the stuff they wanted me to sign, I'm like, wait, this is Emily's this is Kelly Bishop's book. I can't sign it. No, no, you know, giving you stuff to sign your backpacks, the Luke's cup, the girl had a cup Lukes. It was a purse with the zipper around the liddle so cute. I said, you want me to write on this?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 4: Wait, wait? You want me to take this marker? And I go, you're going to regrest this and she's like, no, put your signats around it. Like they were handing me all this different stuff to sign. That was so exciting and really fun and really like a couple of different times. I'm like, can we just go back to December eighteenth and just pretend everything the last fun I'll tell you that right now.
Speaker 1: That was a blast. That was really fun, really really fun.
Speaker 4: That was a great day, and I wish they would do I'm just saying this here now. I don't know who's going to hear this. To do it in different cities like the Midwest. I'm from Michigan, would love there was a town I think it was Brighton. They didn't even have any of us from the show and already.
Speaker 1: Fight right, and they had forty thousand people visit that town over the weekend.
Speaker 4: There's a missed opportunity for people. The people in the Midwest that can't travel here would love a little bit of stars Hollow coming to them. I think, well, I would do it in a minute. I just think that they would just love it.
Speaker 1: You know what, I'll tell you this. I have a I have a meeting next week with warners people leave. I think we're going to talk about this. I would love it a lot of fun. Wouldn't it so much fun?
Speaker 4: And they really would be so appreciative, And so, you know, I was. I think I told you I went to like a root beer stand with my sister and brother in law in Michigan last summer. The lady just knowing that I was there, the lady wrote to me on Facebook, she goes, oh my gosh, we've had so much business just because I like went there. I didn't even order any I think I used the bathroom and they were like, gypsy was her. I said, could you imagine really do like a little appearance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a gypsy, don't do it?
Speaker 4: I oh my god. It was so It's so fun and they would love it. So I have to be have the back of all my like Midwest fans to say, like they I know it would be successful. I just know it.
Speaker 1: We're going to discuss it. We're going to discuss it. What it looks like.
Speaker 4: I gotta tell you I had for the first time today the Winter Blend.
Speaker 1: Oh did you for the first time?
Speaker 4: First of all, the smell is so phenomenal. I just wanted to go just delicious winter Blend. I have a little pot and I was like, let me try this because I really have to say, it's just so comforting. It's another thing. It's like the show is just makes you just want pop tarts and coffee and just like Sacks and you know, Sanda Burger. You just it's so comfortable.
Speaker 1: We can't keep it on the shelves. They keep buying it, we keep selling out.
Speaker 4: Is Winter Blend the popular one? There were a different one?
Speaker 1: They all are, but I would have to say Luke's Diner Blend is clear winner. Oh I have to try. Oh yeah, and the hot chocolate hot Chocolate. Can't can't keep it on the show.
Speaker 4: Oh I love that.
Speaker 1: It's it's always sold out. It's like we just keep replenishing and replenishing and replenishing. Elaine's getting phone calls all the time, you know, Lane, you know she's she's getting phone calls all the time.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's so good. Lane calls me, what are we going to do? They need five thousand more ten thousands. Whoa, We'll get it to them, Just get it to them.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: I love it. Oh yeah, it's it's amazing. Listen, it's always a blast. Scene you.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 1: You're quickly becoming our favorite guest.
Speaker 4: That's so nice. Well, I'm anxious to come back and talk about you know, as we as it goes on.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're coming back. You're going to come back proudly. Maybe next week. I don't know, but you're not. But you're not going to be available because you work all the time.
Speaker 4: I'm working on Hacks all next week.
Speaker 1: Oh all the time you're working.
Speaker 4: I thank you. That such a blessing.
Speaker 1: Be well, we will chat soon. Always great to catch up with Rose Abdu.
Speaker 4: Thank you. It's great to be here.
Speaker 1: All the best, give my best everybody, and all the Hacks people, and.
Speaker 4: Of course people they are big Gilmore fans. They love you, so.
Speaker 1: I'm big Hacks fans.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be like you gotta get them in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we gotta get we gotta let's do it. Let's do an episode together.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, be so great. That would be so fun for people who watch both to see the crossover of it.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: Hopefully we'll get another season.
Speaker 1: Oh you will? I mean, does she wants she wants to keep doing it, right, Geane?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh sure, she's so great in that. And isn't she like winning every She's like winning everything well deserved.
Speaker 4: Yeah yep, Geane, really, Jean, I absolutely love her. Well, this has just been a pleasure, and I think I'm gonna just have to keep going with rest of season one. I can't have the fans knowing the show better than Gypsy started.
Speaker 1: It'd be well.
Speaker 3: All the best, Thanks Ros, good to see you, you.
Speaker 1: Too, say all right, say yeah bye, all right, that's gonna do it. We will see you next time. Thank you, Susanne, Thank you Rose, and remember best fans on the planet and where you lead, we will follow everybody and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.