Speaker 1: We'll tinker with it. We'll toy with it. We'll do enough to kind of TII and believe me, like I'll doodle just to lighten the topic. I'll throw stupid silly jokes out. I'll keep it a reverend and light because we all have to laugh at the absurdity of it. And then we're going to flip the script pretty fast from what could be dour and morbid, which I mean, let's be honest, it is it ultimately sucks, and then move that fast into okay, and so now what do you feel motivated to do with your time so you don't end up getting to the end and feeling like maybe you didn't do a justice or then you have those depbed regrets, which to me is I think my biggest fear, I mean, other than spiders.
Speaker 2: Today we have Jody Wellman on the show. Jody is an author, executive coach, and an expert on resiliency. In this episode, we discuss her very interesting book, You Only Die Once How to Make It to the End with No Regrets. The title of the book basically sums up what we discussed in this episode. I really hope this episode inspires you to make the most of what you have and live your life fully and meaningfully. I really endure Jody, and I'm so glad I finally got her on the show. So I now bring you Jody Wellman. Jody Wellman, Welcome to the Psychology podcast.
Speaker 1: Go Up, very combid. I'm overly thrilled to be here with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thrilled to have you here. And finally I talked to you, and congratulations on your new book called You Only Die Once, Very clever. How to make it to the end with no regrets? Wow? You know there's research showing that people's last name correlates with their profession. So like shoemakers tend to be more likely to make shoes, people with the word well and their last name tend to be more likely to become psychologists or coaches. I don't know, did you always feel like a calling to help with wellness?
Speaker 1: What a good question?
Speaker 2: And do you also like men? And trying to figure out the well men part.
Speaker 1: Of the combo? I just go rightful that I did not fall for a guy whose last name was Sickmund, because that would have been probably not good for my career. Jody Sickmann. But I like how do you know that obscure research only you would.
Speaker 2: Know that that's true. It's true? Maybe maybe, Yeah, So I am generally interested to have you always been interested in well in death maybe like or wellness? Like what's the theme that runs through your life?
Speaker 1: Well, I would say wellness was the theme that was obvious on the outside, because I felt like that was less weird to show. So I spent the first seventeen years of my career in the health and wellness field, like running health clubs, and that was the whole other career, and then getting into leadership development and coaching, so that's all about, and then positive psychology well being raw, but the undercurrent was always this little topic of mortality where I was like, I'm fascinated by and all you want to do is read about and talk about and then scream it from the mountains, this idea about we're totally going to die, we should get on with living. But I that was like not as easy to talk about until I hope I found a way to do it and not turn everybody off. So it's it was always like the duality between well being, let's live like we mean it, and then also, yeah, because it's going to end.
Speaker 2: What do you do with people who can't wait to die? Like I thought, let's just dive ray into the deep end.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: We don't have time to I feel like that. Yeah, there's so many people who have your attitude, but we're about those who are like, yeah, I've had enough of this shit.
Speaker 1: I love I can overly positive acceptance towards that. Well, you know, they don't come out of the woodwork too much in my world, like for example, on Instagram, where everybody's just so lovely and happy every now and then you get that attitude like I put. I put a question I once, like what age do you want to die? I realized I was totally fishing for the crazies, and most people were honest, like, oh, I think eighty would be a good lie? Or when I The most common answer was like up until I can no longer after myself. Only at the end did stuff emerge where there were people that are like, yesterday, yeah, couldn't I be gone? And so fortunately I'm not like in any kind of therapeutic space around that, and so it's just to me, it's sad.
Speaker 2: Interesting, like even day benefit from reading your book, Oh.
Speaker 1: What a good question. My hope would be yes. Cool, because the point of it isn't so much about death death death, it's death death and then live in all cats, right and.
Speaker 2: Keep living, helping people live more fully. Right. Yeah. Now you have a Master's of Applied Positive Psychology from Penn That's where I first met you, and you were an insistant instructor or you still are. You are right now an insistant instructor in the master's program and you're a trainer in the World Around Resilience program. Amazing. So yeah, so you have a lot of expertise and resilience and wellness thriving coaching. Your certified coach with twenty five years of corporate leadership experience. So like when you coach people, is this idea of carpi DM or memento mori? Yeah, an important central concept in your coaching good cue?
Speaker 1: Well, the answer is yes with an asterix, right, So that would be my agenda. And if I was, I mean, I guess as you teach in like your coaching programs, like if I'm coming at it with them, let me tell you here's the curriculum. It would be probably like the worst shittiest coach in the world. However, while I don't do a lot of one on one anymore, it's not mostly in groups. And when I was doing it one on one, you know, I think maybe I'm attracted to clients and then they would find me because of this spirit of I want to get on with it. I'm scared. I want more out of my life, but I'm not really sure how, or I get a sense like am I squandering my time? So sometimes those were the questions and qualities that would maybe attract people into knowing what I did, and then I'd be like, well, then let's dive in and go there, rather than them talking about some other topic and me being like, let's talk about the fact that you're temporary. Like I wouldn't spring it on them, you know what I mean, but absolutely thematically, well like we cannot go there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean. The existential humanist psychologist arv and y'all and certainly wrote a lot about this. Did you read Staring into the Sun.
Speaker 1: Like just soaked it in?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of my favorite books. And he wouldn't he I mean, he has a whole therapy around it, So why not having a whole coaching around it?
Speaker 1: I think that's very as long as they know they're signing up for it.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: That's why are we always talking about the groom Reaper in our sessions. I mean, I love it. I love the idea of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, so what is memento Maury old Latin phrase?
Speaker 1: Remember we must die? Doesn't it just stir the cockles of your heart?
Speaker 2: Hmm? Yeah? Yeah, I mean I think that at various points in our lives we have different realizations of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And what I notice is that most of us intentionally don't I guess now that you say that, right, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we often keep it away from our consciousness.
Speaker 1: Right, And I don't blame us for doing that. We want to be safe. We want to be have a good day, not a totally freaking morbid day. But you know, I think because you've studied this and you've actually.
Speaker 2: Been some people want to freaking morbid day. I just had a whole episode on the science of morbid curiosity.
Speaker 1: Love it, love him some people love that stuff. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I totally get it.
Speaker 2: But I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the gen pop, you know, we're kind of like, how do I just like like scrape by today and have it be okay. And that's the thing that I find the most kind of sizzily is that okay, yeah, we want to live with more intention and meaning and feel good about our lives. And funny enough, it's exactly by doing the thing you don't think you want to do, Like, let's scratch the surface and maybe go deeper on the fact that you're a ticking time bomb.
Speaker 2: And that's interesting. Yeah, I just try to interrupt you. You're taking time bomb? Well, I mean it's it's just like, can you enjoy something knowing it's going to come to an end? And then there's some deep philosophical questions there that no one's ever fully answered. But yeah, like would you enjoy something if you thought, if you knew, it would never end? Can you?
Speaker 1: My answer is a very aggressive belief in no, so can I ask first what do you think? And you can lead the witness here, but what do you think?
Speaker 2: No? I think that having an ending is what gives something a meaning. Yeah, we're seeing from the.
Speaker 1: Same sound book. Yeah, yeah, the well that songbook, same operatic. This is like the best part of my day. I love it. That is the tune of.
Speaker 2: We don't think we need it? That is it.
Speaker 1: That's the theme song. That the fact that we're a finite and when we pay attention to it. So you know, temporal scarcity is like the psychology science way of putting it that any resource that is temporary, we value it more, Okay, And we can apply that scarcity heuristic to our lives. And it's only when for most of us, we pay attention to the fact that in my world, I count how many Mondays I have left, so I've got one and ten as of this week. And if I didn't do that math, I'm like my freaking day job, and I need to do that math, remind myself every Monday and get recentered and go oh yeah, because I'm taking it for granted.
Speaker 2: That's assuming that you'll live to what age.
Speaker 1: That gets me to eighty three as a woman average age? Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It doesn't seem like a lot when you put it that way, right, Why do you propose that we count our Mondays? Why not our Fridays?
Speaker 1: Great question? Okay, if we had, like when we had four thousand Fridays, it all just sounds easy and fun, and I want life to be great and easy and fun. But it doesn't let us reflect enough, because this is slam dunk and Monday, though in comparison, allows us to do this visceral like how do I feel about my week ahead? Am I dreading going and doing the thing I'm supposed to be doing if I'm still working or whatnot? And so it's just this way of looking at does another week of your life excite you, allure you, depress you insert adjective here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's fair enough. And some people have put these posters on their wall that show and yeah I know that Tim Urban, yeah has one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got one off his weight, but whyside And it's funny. I gave those to a big business group I was leading years ago as the coach for the holiday season. I rolled them all up and put little scrolls on them and gave them out and strangely nobody was interested. It was like, thanks for the turnoff.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah. So people consider this kind of talk kind of a down or a little bit there. Yeah. So, I mean in a lot of ways, your your whole message is like, this is not a downer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, by the way, this is we're going to release this episode on Halloween. Can we do that? Mike, I don't know. I'm just saying that out on but.
Speaker 1: We can try, can.
Speaker 2: We try try? But yeah, it might not happen, but it feels like a very health So a big point here is that your message is not a downer right right, like like we need to think about life differently, we need to say to think about death differently.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, thank you for grabbing onto that, because we'll tinker with it. We'll toy with it. We'll do enough to kind of tii and believe me, like I'll doodle just to lighten the topic. I'll throw stupid silly jokes out. I'll keep it a reverend and light because we all have to laugh at the absurdity of it. And then we're going to flip the script pretty fast from what could be dour and morbid, which I mean, let's be honest, it is like it ultimately so, and then move that fast into okay, and so, now, what do you feel motivated to do with your time so that you don't end up getting to the end and feeling like maybe you didn't do a justice or then you have those deathbed regrets, which to me is I think my biggest fear. I mean, other than spiders.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't like spiders. Yes, that the whole deathbed regret thing. What are the things that people regret the most on their deathbed?
Speaker 1: The biggest thing, statistically would be two categories. First and foremost. The way my brain works, I think you'll stills too. We've got regrets, regrets of regrets of omission and comission, just like our good old fashioned sins. And so we think that we are going to be plagued by the regrets about the stupid decisions we made, the things we did and wish we hadn't. Turns out that stuff we tend to find a way to rationalize, which thank god, it's good. So those too, let's just set them aside because they don't really matter. And now let's focus on the regrets of omission, which are those paths not taken, like the dreams we had for ourselves that we wondered about, like what if I'd gone to that school, or what if I'd applied for that big job, or what if I had asked her out or whatever? The thing is that you kind of wonder and we always I could have been happy if we'd moved to Phoenix, or I don't know, whatever the thing is you're wondering about the thing that you're curious and the thing that you didn't take action on, I called them could have, should have would us? And so then they further burrow down, and you know, Dan Pink's work and the American Regret Project studies talk about how, you know, many of us will regret things around relational issues, like connection regrets like I wished I'd hadn't lost touch with so and so, I wish I'd kept my relationships up. So that's a big category. And then there would be like foundational regrets like I wished I'd done the work. I wished I'd gone and spent more time in school, or like gotten you know, a better footing in my job or whatnot, and goals like I wished I had gone for the marathon that I wanted to do, or started my Etsy business and like making pillows or whatever the thing is that you deign to do.
Speaker 2: So really, the unrealization of one's highest potential. Yeah, is that it like self actualization?
Speaker 1: I think it is. And it's like as our friend or Elm says, like the unlived life and that those words just like every time I say them, or write them. They grit me in the right way of like imagine having that sense of an unlived life, like we're not going to reach all of our I'm curious what you think about this, because like, well, I have an opinion about bucket list two, and I want to hear yours. But like a list of dreams, a list of notions and things that would be cool to do during our four thousand mondays. Yay, we know we're not going to get to do every single thing because well, time is just not going to allow for it. But the things that matter, like back to the deathbed, regret exercise, if you can accurately pinpoint and go holy crap, Like if tonight was the night and I was just like I was minutes away from perishing, what would I be actually kicking myself that I didn't take action on what would that be? And so now I have two questions for you. One can I get like what would be? Is there anything that you would think I always wanted to do this thing, whether it's a big thing or a tiny little thing or a way of being.
Speaker 2: It's a delightful question and it's a really good thought experiment. My mind tends to always work counter to what normal people would respond.
Speaker 1: To things, and so therefore I love your anticipated answer.
Speaker 2: I just feel like, if I knew that this was it, I would want to just crawl up in my bed and read a good book. Like I just don't. I think I'd want to maximize my pleasure for the next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twelve hours, yeah or whatnot. Yeah, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Like mentally prepare for this right, well, part.
Speaker 1: Of the exerras. I love your answer, by the way, because.
Speaker 3: Really, oh my gosh, because I feel like everyone else would be like I'd start that nonprofit, you know what I mean, Like I think that's in the normal answer that people give, or or I tell the girl I like her, you know, it's just like calm down, Like I'd rather just meditate for the for the two hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, introverts unite, because I would also be like, how could I get the cozy'st blanket? Yeah, and get corozy and just like and.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe still go up with someone though maybe you can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I believe there's room for others. So the exercise, though, is intended. I think if us we're not on our deathbed and we're not doing the exercise because I like the other thought experiment of like if you knew, I think that if you had a year to live is still kind of bullshit because it's not an accurate way to really look at and go what do I want to do with my life? But that's why I like to pick an obscure number, like sixteen years from today you're done, because now at least we're kind of sizing a little more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if.
Speaker 1: You did imagine if you were gone tonight, what would you regret? I call them p regrets, So I know it's a w key name, but it's this idea about these are regrets in the making, that we're not dead yet, so we still have a chance to get out there. And if you would think, oh man, I always wanted to learn how to speak Spanish, well go download the app thing. Or if you wanted to go and you know, start like reading to kids at the library, go do that. Like there's still time. That's the good news. It's like, you don't have to wait anymore. Why are we waiting?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Do you wake up in the morning and uh be like I'm alive? Oh my cow, I'm alive today? Is that is that you? Like?
Speaker 1: Every day it is, although I hope I don't sound like a Disney character when I say that, but I do wake up. I do wake up generally quite ecstatic that I.
Speaker 2: Am like, oh shit, I had to do this shit again. I'm joking. I'm joking. That's the contrary making that joke. Yeah, yeah, I've gld you appreciate it and you take it the right way. So look, you talk about living a squander a free life. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Oh? I love talking about squanderliciousness or not. And I feel the need to put an asterix on it too, because when I talk about this sort of mission to live a squander free life, I think people then go to the extreme and say, okay, if it's the anti squander life, it means I'm out booking all the trips, I'm at all the restaurants, I'm doing all the things, all the things that looking on social media, and I'm already exhausted even justn't like naming four of them. And no, no, no, you know that's why I talk about living and astonishingly a live life. It's relative to what you want, right. It could involve the glass of wine in a book yay, Or it could involve going out and going to a gala or going on a yacht trip or whatever. And so squandering is when we know that we kind of want to be doing more, but we're either playing it small if that matters to us, or that we are like literally wasting our time so that we find that all of a sudden, it's like, how did it get to be the end of September? And I have no idea what happened because all my days were just these monotonous blurs merging into each other. So it's the idea of squandering without being intentional and concrete and saying, hey, you know it will be cool. How would I feel alive this weekend? Oh that's one thing I could do. I could browse through that bookstore, or I could go and have brunch with a friend, or whatever the thing is you choose to do. So it's plugging into life rather than letting it kind of carry us down that stream, because you know, we could just answer our emails and live a life of doing that and then but we haven't really lived. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: It? Does it? Does? I like your way of being? And what was your master's thesis about this topic? Right?
Speaker 1: Called Memento Mooring. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And how is it received by your colleagues at.
Speaker 1: Matt Yeah, it was received well. In fact, it was through some of the faculty there that I believe that the encouragement was to go for it, Like I was a little bit fearful as a pleaser, like I don't want to buck the system of positive psychology. But as we know, positive psychology embraces all of it, the light, the dark, the everything. Right, it's about being resilient in making the whole of life that is temporary. And so fortunately the idea is like, yeah, go explore the idea of death. There's a really warm, friendly place for it in positive psychology and humanistic psychology and existential psychology. I mean, we all play together nicely.
Speaker 2: Right we do?
Speaker 1: Whose we we in the world of psychology.
Speaker 2: Sometimes yeah, no, but for sure yeah, no, wonderful. I mean I have such a unique thesis related a little bit to David Yaiden's master's thesis, but he did at Penn, which was on the good Death.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah we should have him, now stop it your funny. Yours is very unique and different, but it just relates and maybe we can get you a copy of David's just pisis But no, it's it's a very you are very sweet gen there is you know, you're very unique, you know, uh, and you know like you I don't know if I said it right, I don't know. I want the kind you want to the kind Thank you Laden for one of a kind.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: There is a lot of research on languishing and even your phrases and your phrasing, I mean you have a unique spin. You're Jody Wellman. Like when I think of Jody Wellman, I think of something very unique within the space of psychology. So you talk about how to undebt our lives, but isn't that really just how do we get out of the languishing state into a state of flourishing?
Speaker 1: Yes, And mister improv I think, yeah, the answer is yes. And the mechanism is one that is one that I sometimes lament but obviously have embraced. So it's that it's yes, And we need the nudge, We need the grim Reaper to like take his site and just like kind of like gently like tap you like, the way to get out of languishing whatever, we determine the way to get down to get out of squanderland or whatever it is that we're doing. Is that I have found and I'll confirmation bias the crap out of finding the research that I need in order to bolster the fact that you know, yes, we need the negative in order to sometimes we need that motivational nudge. But like most of us are not that motivated or have that much self initiative to like go make our lives full of flourishment, and so we have to actually go like, yeah, I've only got this many hours left in your way of boarding it, or I've only got need one hundred and ten left, and so that is the unfortunate but I think necessary nudge in order to get out of language land.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Ryan Holiday talks about this too. Yeah, he wears his Memento Mari medallion all the time on his Instagram posts. You know what I'm talking about, I do. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So there are others talking about this as well, which must feel good to kind of not feel like the soul traveler along this message. Stoics a lot about this.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, I've been inspired.
Speaker 2: By yes exactly, he thinks he did. I mean, you know, I'm joking, joking.
Speaker 1: Trama stoic coin boom. I love it. Yes, And there have been so many really great thinkers, whether they're philosophers or psychologists from the days of old, you know, a lot of your kind of like role models in the day, Yeah, poets, I mean literature, Like there's so many things in the humanities that are we've been fascinated by the fact that we're going to die for as long as we've been alive, and like it's high time to continue to use that to our datage rather than have it be something that we want to avoid because most people, you know, would rather head for the hills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's like the hills are coming, you know, like you can there's nowhere to run. Those hills will kill you is coming. This is dark.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: This is dark where you go. But some people are trying like that Jeff Bezo, the big article came out that he's trying to live forever. He's trying to put all his billions of dollars into thing forever. Yeah, I have a you saw that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And same thing with Brian Johnson, like you know, ye Brian Johnson's pajillions.
Speaker 2: And drinking vampire blood.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean whatever gets you through the night pal and back to your original original question about like do you want to live forever?
Speaker 2: Like that?
Speaker 1: It does sound a bit to me like torture. It does sound like torture because it's this idea that would we ever really make anything happen? Or that to me actually feels like a recipe for just a squanderous existence, because it's that would I do I really want to go and study that thing in school? You know what, I'll do it in like thirteen thousand more years. Or do I want to go and initiate this relationship with somebody? Yeah, you know what, I'll catch them the next time around, in like thirty eight thousand years. There's no real impetus, Like do you feel about the power of a deadline too?
Speaker 2: I do? Oh deaf. I work best under deadlines. I'll probably get most of my work done on my deathbed. I'll get my best work done. Yeah, opus, I'm good. I'm good with deadlines. Why are habits dangerous? No one says that. You know you're not going to get like what's his name on the show? You know one of these habit guys are all guys do big friends? They're all guys.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, yeah, I wasn't thinking to do. I was thinking of Clear. I was thinking of James Clear. You know, yeah, probably death, probably always thinking about the next goal exactly. Do you know what I'm saying? I do?
Speaker 1: I do. Yeah, I have bones to pick, very you know, very polite bones to pick. But I would say, habits, I believe are the recipe for vitality disaster. It's a bold statement, Rightah, just came up with it. But I think that when we succumb to habits and routines, just like related, that's when we go through the motions of life. And even those words about going through the motions like okay, sometimes that's relieving. Like I'm not a complete idiot. I recognize that sometimes we need to tune out and not be ever present and ever savoring every moment that we're brushing our teeth, like life is complicated, so let's take your chill pill. Like sometimes that's when a routine will just help pass a fiaus and just get through Oh look at you. However, if we want to be happy, what I do believe is that we need to abandon some of those routines where we become we know this we become.
Speaker 2: We need to be. We need to integrate. Both of these integrate. Some people are too happy, they need to chill.
Speaker 1: They need to Okay. Well, according to.
Speaker 2: Are you happy, you shut the bug up?
Speaker 1: Next the voice you gave me right morning, wake up, I'm gonna I'm gonna have to recalibrate that voice.
Speaker 2: That's my general it's your general happy happy. Yeah, I know for anyone who's above zero.
Speaker 1: Right, they need to calm down. Well, the robotanizing how we become these highly functioning zombies. Yes, we want to function, but most of us could agree that at the end of a week or a month, or maybe even it's a whole freaking year where we're like, I think I just again got sweat up in the current of life, Like yeah, do I feel like not not. I'm gonna be careful in saying do I have anything to show for it? Because that also sounds like it's extrinsic, like I have to show you on Instagram all the things I did this weekend. No, but it's about breaking up your routine sometimes in a in the way that works for you to feel more alive. Like then all this is in service of finding more aliveness. So what it might mean is if you know, vital vitality, if you have the same route you take to work, or the same exact workout, or the same exact date night, or whatever it is, because we we just go. We we click into these patterns just to be convenient. It's the way we're wired, most of us. What about just shaking it up, you know, throw a wrench in it, not in a way that's going to make you feel anxious. Do you think it's symbolic that our flame is out? Do you think we've just that it's it's dead. I think that you rig this, you purposely chose.
Speaker 2: I've never seen that happen before.
Speaker 1: This is perfect happen before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that candles.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's amazing, it's good. I think it's actually like this is practicing appropriate, you know. Yeah, So be careful of routines. They'll they'll rob you of aliveness. The next thing you know, you're in your grave.
Speaker 2: Well, because you you admitted all these little language like we have dead zones in our lives, Like you really like this theme theme of death?
Speaker 1: I've a little far.
Speaker 2: No, but it's creative. I'm into it. Okay, I'm into it. I'm super into weird shit. I love that stuff. Yep. So yeah, like you you know, I love it. You call it you know, like you say you need to diagnose the dead zones in your life?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, And this I realized to a positive psychology practitioner for coach is like, yeah, okay, we there's a time and a place to identify things in your life that are currently working. Yeah, obviously do more of those things, like you know, amplify what's good.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Also, I do think it's helpful to really have that sort of diagnosis about like where have I flatlined in my life? And you know how we have all these domains in life, right, so like there's your career, there's your social life, there is your like personal growth area, fun and recreation, romance, you know, you name it right when you are able to kind of look at each section and diagnose and go, you know, things are generally okay over here that's fine, or like that's that's kind of I'm okay to not address that one right now, But whoa this one? Like maybe it's recreation. I like it's it's dead on a rival, Like I really need to work on this area. That's the helpful part about self awareness is like really zeroing in because you can have a general sense of back to languishing or just the general sense of with life where you don't like I don't know something's missing, or I think I want something more, or is this all there is? Or all the other existential winners, and so sometimes you just have to laser in and be like, oh, if it's recreation, well, then what's the thing you could do, like pick up a hobby again? What that look like if you try that this weekend?
Speaker 2: Is it okay to just be in moods? It's okay to have moods of dead, Like you always have to feel pressure to like be happy, Like what if you have a day where you're like, I'm dead today? Yeah, can you ever just allow yourself to just do it?
Speaker 1: I think so. I think it's like the human condition. In fact, I think it's so beautiful about appreciating what the good days because they're contrasted to the bad days.
Speaker 2: You don't have to be astonishingly alive every day, right, No.
Speaker 1: I feel also that that just a tire. It is exhausting, it's tiring. It's also unsustainable. Even if you kind of think you get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when I talk about like the opposite quadrant and what the work I do of the dead zone, you know it is being astonishingly alive. Yeah, And I think that it's a really big frickin sandbox, like big area where you could be any quadrant right, Like you could be at the top right edge of it, maxing it out. Okay, well hold on for that ride. Good on you. But like for most of us, we're just going to kind of land over here, and sometimes we're going to dance around the others and like, welcome it all, right, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome it all. And yeah, I'm very Buddhist about that, for sure. I'm more Buddhist than stoic. I think I am too, but I do see some benefits to soicism for sure. Can we get a zoom in on your tattoo? Oh, say an hour glass?
Speaker 1: It's this skull. I don't know how this is going to happen. I could walk up to a camera if you'd like. Okay. Melissa Nuniez, she's designed my logo four thousand mondays with the sun setting, and so she did this one as well. And I got this the week that I recorded the audio book for my book, because I founded to forever commemorate it on my skin and remind myself you're gonna die.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's amazing that do you have that reminder on your body. I'm so interested in all this amazing coaching work you do. I've got interest in coaching recently. You know, you say that some of your most motivated clients are those that have had a near death experience. And I'm really interested in the science or near death experiences because Abraham Maslow talks about what's the phrase to use, the second delfe or something like that, Yeah, post mortem life. He calls it the post mortem life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would have learned maybe through your book in Transcend or somewhere else about his heart attack. And he has a quote that I'd be a better person if I had memorized. But just that it's riveting, right, this idea of like this river of my life will never be the same. It's so beautiful now and acknowledging like my life is just not the same now. How could I see like almost how exquisite it is without seeing death and experiencing the almostness of it. Very broadly paraphrasing mister Maslow's. So I am also fascinated and I have envy for people who have had a brush with death, because like, this is the thing I take most serious, and I am the idea that you can have even more of a sense of that awakening like that, I know who is it. I don't think it was yelling, but someone else has said the roar of awakening. I just love that phrase. I love the notion of it. And so then I just think, Okay, well, what's the next best thing other than remember that movie Flatliners from the eighties. We're dating ourselves here, But other than trying to rig death and then.
Speaker 2: Come back remember that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: A safer way to do it. I guess it's just to research things they know to be true and maybe try and live from that. And I've just found it fascinating. Like I know, recent guests here on your show was a maket based on fear of other people's opinions, and that to me is one of the best gifts ever that I try to learn about vicariously from people who've had a brush with death, because once they've kind of come.
Speaker 4: Back from being like we have no fucks to give exactly like, yeah, I must have had.
Speaker 2: A near death experience that I didn't know about, because I have zero focks to give.
Speaker 1: Well, hang on, this is like a newish thing, because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did you get there? Used to be a people pleaser?
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: I maybe I had something I don't know about.
Speaker 1: Well, we need to do some sort of testing. We need to find out, because I.
Speaker 2: Think just age I got to in my forties and I'm like, come on, I can't waste my time like.
Speaker 1: This, right, Why do I care anymore?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Saying yes to that thing or yeah, answering that.
Speaker 2: You well, why why should I be? Why should I care about what people think of me? Who I don't even like? That's what I'm saying, well said, you know, yep.
Speaker 1: I tell the story in my book about this woman Shay and Palm Springs, and she runs a nonprofit for cancer survivors of breast cancer. And she was going through twenty two weeks in a row of her chemotherapy, and she had a blank journal and she drew a circle and that I have affectionately, of course now called SHA's circle. And she said she was really intentional. She's like, I'm going to come out of this thing, and my life's going to be so much better in the following ways. And she wrote about the things she wanted in her life inside the circle, and that included people and ways of being and I don't know, activities and then maybe more poignantly and like interestingly, she had a crap ton of stuff outside the circle, like people that were kind of toxic, like I don't think I need to make time for you, you know, I may be related to you or whatnot. Or for her it was being a pleaser, which is why I remember this. She's like, I don't need to say yes to your committee. I don't need to be obliged to do that thing. I've seen the break of death and she doesn't talk like this, but but I now know I don't have to do this because I'm going to live this special, precious life. She called it getting a second chance.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, like how right?
Speaker 1: Like the let's all pretend that we've been given the postwartum life in a fresh second chance today to be like if I just got out of the hospital, and this is the exercise I do with myself regularly. If I was in a coma and I came out of the hospital and I came home. What's the stuff that I would really prioritize and what's the stuff that I would just be like, Oh, it just doesn't matter anymore, including maybe other people's opinions, or including tasks, or including the toiling things. We don't really we're wasting our time on I'd want to go pursue some dreams, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, I mean this is an inspiring conversation.
Speaker 1: It's a grim Reaper can do for us, not a.
Speaker 2: Down Yeah yeah, I mean no, it's what Jodi Wellman, are you the grim Reaper? I hope not pr hope. I don't know how I feel about that. I hope I have many years to go. Uh can you just confirm that that is true? Oh no, oh my godd, I'm too neurotic for that to say. Yes.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're arranging extra Mondays for you as a result of this conversation.
Speaker 2: I get extra credit.
Speaker 1: Oh you've scored at least two Mondays.
Speaker 2: Which is many Mondays from now right?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah. What What's I'm like, what are we believing that you were part of the groom? Like I wouldn't like cut it past you what's okay, what's a really realistic way for people with busy lives to incorporate these ideas into their lives? I mean, what can they do? I mean people are going crazy these days with the work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you asked it, because I love the idea. Okay, So I'll go like in two directions. One is just going to be always, always, always my my real kind of raw raw for just like start counting your mondays, like like, let that be the baseline of your momentumry practice. You don't have to get tattoos, you don't have to just count your mondays and keep the countdown timer poof. Okay, good, that's done. Okay, Now this idea about living and astonishing the live life without it breaking the bank or like the time that you are already time starved you don't have enough time, and or maybe even very frankly the inclination I love so much that the life worth living for most of us is this deliberate sprinkling in and then the accumulation of stuff that is just usually sweet and simple, and it's often like free, which I mean that works, free is affordable. So I love this exercise that I'll do with groups or people where it's like, write out thirty things that make you happy, that bring you joy, however you want to define it. We could split hairs over joy fulfillment meaning whatever, but just what lights you up, what makes you feel alive, and even the teeniest, tiniest way, and they need to be attainable. Things you can't just say like, well, when I'm on a cruise in the Mediterranean, like that a little bit extreme. Don't not do that. But for most people, the things that they will write down are things that are so extraordinarily accessible in our days that we just don't make time for. Right. So a woman I met this morning, she was like, I'm going to get my daughter from her school today. I'm going to take her to the playground and she goes. I don't know why, but I always have this idea like I wanted to be the kind of mom that brought a book to the playground, and I'm doing that today for the first time ever. Because she just goes and sits, and she's like, I guess I'm a good mom. Might sometimes watch my kid, which I guess is important, but she's like, I have to scroll or whatever. I'm just sort of sitting aimlessly. She's bringing a book, and that for her is just going to be this again, free again. She's already at the park with her kid. Why not immerse yourself? And in her instance, it's just going to be this fiction book where she's going to read part of a chapter and that's just going to make that twenty minute increment of her life that much better than if she had just maybe zoned out, and maybe zoning out for some of us back just squandering is like that's the thing you might need in that moment. But what about those special things where it's like taking the dog for a walk, or being conscious and like sitting outside and having your coffee, or like, can I be nosy? Like what are some little, tiny, little sweet things that you just you can't explain it, You don't have to explain it, but it just brings you little bits of joy.
Speaker 2: There are there are pretty they are pretty small things. It doesn't take much to bring me joy. In fact, the big things overwhelm me. But no, like definitely drinking good coffee, like definitely, like on a rainy thunders day, thunderous Is that a word? Thunderful? Thunderful? Do you know what, I'm just saying, delicious day a day where there's a lot of thunder and rain, like I love just snuggling up in my bed and reading a good psychological novel. Like little things like that I feel like make my life worth living. Was I supposed to say something grandiose?
Speaker 1: That is perfect answer, and it's also still a little contingent. The weather needs to be thundry, but maybe it's seizing it when that comes right. It's like knowing the things that make you feel alive. And that's another thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'll ask groups like what is what what makes you feel most alive? And that that can be an intimidating question. So sometimes it's just what are some of the the top few things?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know if those things I mentioned to make me feel most alive? I feel like that's a different question. He is a different question.
Speaker 1: You're right, yeah, this is now like person, But now can I ask, like, what is something that No matter what.
Speaker 2: The most alive thing is a little bit different. So when I give a keynote talk, I feel very alive. You know. I have like maybe three thousand people in a room like listening to me, and I'm able to express my passion for my life's purpose to and get instant feedback. There's something so live feeling, a live feeling about that I make up words, you know, I do like verbal ju jitsu, you know, because my brain's not functioning properly. But yeah, do that makes sense? The kind of livens Oh totally our teaching class.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well you're mentors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I go on, So like these are your like a live spots and I'm already making an assumption that your life is already fortunately you know, sprinkled.
Speaker 1: With a lot of those moments where you get to feel alive. But maybe there's an aha, Like for me, it's also speaking, and so it's like, well, how do we rig our lives? Quite frankly, like we're all into hacks or whatever, like okay, this is a freaking game, Like how do we just make it so it's just that much better and a live while we're here? So for me, it's like, okay, more talking on the stage, and for you, maybe maybe I'm going to put words in your mouth, but just by wave example, it could be like I need to make sure I'm consciously mentoring three students or people in this period of time rather than just one because I love it so much, Like why am I not doing more of it? It's tuning into that stuff to say what makes you alive? And how often are you doing it? Because you know it's sad. And this is the part that I think is just partly the way we get swept up in the current of life is that many people, when I ask this question, they'll identify something that they just haven't done in a while. You know, it's often creative pursuits. I know you're super creative, Like people will talk about, oh, it's like when I'm painting, or you appreciate this one even more. I did a workshop last year where a guy was like, was this the whole team? And he's like, the number one thing? Of course he was willing to answer. He goes doing improv and the group was like, oh, wow, really been and I'm like, what, wow, great, when was the last time you did it? And just let this answer do the thing It did for me too. He said, Oh it's my ten years and I just I feel overwhelmed with this idea, like we have life stuffed inside us. True and the fact that it's been a decade since this guy's done a thing that makes him feel most alive, you know what a travesty And that, to me is an example of not wanting to get to the end with all these kohl woodus, which is how my mom died. That I saw in this notion of we still have time to do the improve or to go in glass blow.
Speaker 2: Well, in that case, can you just tell tell your friend the Grim Reaper to just chill? Can you give this to the grim Reaper for me knowing?
Speaker 1: Because if he chilled, it would make a problem worse. And you know this, You know this more than most of us because if all your research in the areas you're so, you know, multidisciplined like you. You know, if if Grim Reaper was like I'm taking a break, I'm on a sabbatical, we would not do the thing right. We would not We would not live it up, you know what we would do what we would continue to take it for granted. Wow, we would squander that that therein lies. I think the problem, right is that we live a life that, like it was Nietzsche, like manage the only animal who has to be encouraged to live, and we have dreams and hopes, and I think many of us are just quite frankly scared to press the go button.
Speaker 2: Yes, I and yes, And I think what do I think? I hate the idea that like, you're squandering your life if you're not always fully alive. I think that the purpose of life is to experience it. And I think that you know, kind of being. I think people could be too hard of themselves that if they're not at every moment like serving a greater purpose, yes, they're squandering their life. And I guess it's a little bit of a pet peeve of mine. How do you reconcize we're.
Speaker 1: So spot on together?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: This is back to that relativity of what astonishingly live means to each person. And I look at it like in the two quadrants, right, So two axes that make quadrants like living wider with vitality, so more of a hedonic kind of alignment to well being, and then deeper with meaning. We're of the eu demonic and we're going to have some people, you know, could really care less about the deeper meaningful stuff. And it's all like rock on party and vice versa. Could be more important to some people where they're like I just want to volunteer at the church, and I don't really care about going out or whatever. The thing is so based on each person's knees. I think that where all this nets out, I believe is are you experiencing your life to the degree to which you feel good about it versus the nichelin because I think we all have that in our knowing. I know I do because as a kind of homebody introvert, like my default is going to be back under that blanket on the couch, right, and I have to be the one to remind myself to live very regularly, and I actually get prescriptive about it, knowing, okay, I need to be you know, social in this dose each month, do a new thing this time, this much each month, go to a restaurant this much each month. And that to me is like I'll always recalibrate it. But I think that in between all that is an example of like all sorts of rest, which I don't call languishing. I call that like I love my life in those moments, and I also know I love it when I also incorporate a little bit more. So, I think each one of us needs to do that honest work and say, do you have the niggling that, Oh you know what, I don't think I'm really participating in my life as much as I know I would thrive if I was doing more of I.
Speaker 2: Just got an idea. Yeah, yeah, for an article. Ow all right, Oh what's about? I'll tell you as soon that right, Okay, here we go. Here's the title. Okay, don't confuse languishing for rest. No one someone's are in that yet it needs to be written, do you? You bring up so many good points, and your book is wonderful, and I just want to congratulate you on it because look, I know how much the book means to you. I know how much work you've put into it. I've seen that firsthand. And I know how passionate you are about these ideas. And I have nothing but positive like I'm rooting for you energy. So I just want to end the interview by saying that I'm definitely rooting for you to live your best life.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you rooting for me with my wake up in the morning Disney voice energy.
Speaker 2: Yes, boy, I love it. Maybe more people could use that voice in their head.
Speaker 1: We actually need that, like the Elmo button or whatever the thing you in the morning, just to press that is maybe the alarm to wake up to. But thank you for your kind words.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being on my show.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. Time will spend