Speaker 1: Hey, that folks.
Speaker 2: Sit is Tuesday, December thirtieth, and we have an update on the Christmas Day sexual assault lawsuit filed against Tyler Perry.
Speaker 1: After some newly revealed.
Speaker 2: Text messages have made their way to the public, his accuser has some explaining to do, and he is explaining himself and with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Roates.
Speaker 1: How much does this change the story?
Speaker 2: We've seen this plenty sexual assault accusers, Right, they make an accusation and then something comes out where they remained friendly with their alleged accuser.
Speaker 1: How does this change a story like this?
Speaker 3: So I don't think that because the texts are friendly, that that changes anything, because you are correct. We have seen this plenty of times, and we've heard from experts who say this is common behavior from people who have been victimized. They for some reason try to maintain a cordial relationship with their accused abuser. But to me, these texts reveal something a little bit more than that, because in them, he's painting a sad picture of his life. He's asking for money, so it shows his state of mind as recently as August.
Speaker 4: Of this year.
Speaker 2: And that's a problem because He claimed in his lawsuit that he cut off he cut off communication with Tyler Perry years ago because.
Speaker 1: Of the alleged abuse.
Speaker 2: So we will get into those very big points, but I guess worlds, we need to go back for folks who aren't familiar. Christmas Day, Tyler Perry gets hit with a seventy seven million dollar lawsuit.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is an aspiring actor and model. His name is Mario Rodriguez. He claims that from twenty fifteen to twenty nineteen, Tyler Perry made unwanted sexual advances towards him.
Speaker 4: He says that he was sexually.
Speaker 3: Making claims of sexual abuse and sexual battery, and he claims at one point that Tyler Perry even reached down into his pants and grabbed his penis and then shoved five thousand dollars in his I guess.
Speaker 4: Pockets as he was leaving, putting him in an uber.
Speaker 3: So he describes this awful thing, and eventually after that incident boom, he cuts off communication with Tyler Perry. And he said Tyler Perry occasionally would text him over the years beyond that. But the text messages that we just were shown show a very different story. It shows Mario Rodriguez reaching out to Tyler Perry, not the other way around.
Speaker 2: And again that flies in the face of credibility and a lawsuit that already maybe had some issues, including misspelling the movie studio that you're also accusing in this lawsuit. So this just flies in the face of credibility. But Robes, we do have to make the point that we have seen things like this before that is not uncommon.
Speaker 1: To But let's go through now.
Speaker 2: We will share with you the text and we should also say where these are coming from. The Associated Press that they got their hands on these. They're not revealing their source, but these are screen grabs from text messages that they've seen again the AP. And again we're talking about who the accuser is because the accuser has put his name on this lawsuit. It's not something we normally do. But Mario Rodriguez, but these are the text messages now that have come out and are in question. And it should be said, I mean he's acknowledging that these are real.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, he's not denying that these are real.
Speaker 3: In fact, he made a statement about these text messages particularly so yes, actually, if you want to, he confirmed essentially the validity of them by reacting to them and actually defending them.
Speaker 1: But how many in total do we have?
Speaker 5: I have?
Speaker 3: So there's an exchange from Thanksgiving of twenty twenty four, and then there's basically a bunch of texts from Mario Rodriguez to Tyler Perry on August thirty first of this year.
Speaker 4: So two different text exchanges. The first one we'll start. I guess we'll just do kron a lot.
Speaker 3: Thanksgiving of twenty twenty four, So just a year ago, Mario Rodriguez wrote this to Tyler Perry. You know that I love you and I thank you for everything. I appreciate you to the moon. You got my Mexican ass out of a lot of bad places, and I just want to tell you thank you. I can't buy you anything, but I just want to tell you that your boy right here appreciates you more than anything. Straight from my heart. Bro, Nothing I wouldn't do for you.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Anyways, enjoy your time and I hope to see you again soon.
Speaker 2: And again, from all accounts, this is unsolicitou It's not like he's responding to something from Tyler Perry. And again his lawsuit, he claims he stopped reaching out to the gap.
Speaker 4: That is correct.
Speaker 3: So this flies in the face of that, because again, this is Thanksgiving of twenty twenty four. Tyler Perry responds in this text exchange and says, happy Thanksgiving, my friend. Yep, you've been through it. I'm glad you're doing well. You don't have to give me a thing or pay me a thing. I'm just glad you're good. And then Mario Rodriguez responds, I'm still going through it, but you know me, man, I'm a survivor just like you are. And I'm glad that you're my friend and I love you, bro respectfully.
Speaker 2: All Right, again, you look at that, and somebody's accusing someone and asking them for demanding seventy seven million dollars, that text exchange will be brought up in a lawsuit in a courtroom and go to his state of mind. Now, both sides will argue differently, right, but that is clearly what friendly.
Speaker 1: It was unsolicited.
Speaker 3: I would say it's more than friendly. It was loving, It was grateful, it was appreciative. Look and look if he says he took cut off all communication in twenty nineteen, this is twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: This is five years later, So I think.
Speaker 2: I take more issue with that discrepancy versus what's in the content of this, Because how many freaking messages did we go through in the damn Diddy trial? How many times do we read loving messages that came periods in time and years after he's physically abusing people. So I guess the content's not surprising, but the time is.
Speaker 1: I'm scratching my head.
Speaker 4: Bout correct correct? I agree?
Speaker 3: And then as recently as August thirty first, twenty twenty five, this is the text message. Actually, the effusive one wasn't as big of a deal to me. This one is. So this was just from a few months ago. This is from Mario Rodriguez to Tyler Perry. Brother, haven't been feeling okay, confused and ill, nauseous?
Speaker 4: I got blood work.
Speaker 3: Thinks it's my teeth. I know it's none of your business, IDK, what do I know? I promise you I would never ask you for anything. But if it is what I think it is, I don't think I could do it on my own because I can barely pay my bills.
Speaker 4: Scared a f.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get sepsis like my dad and pass away. I don't even want to mention it because I don't want to make it real.
Speaker 4: I feel sick most days.
Speaker 3: Never told anybody this, but my mom and everybody is starting to notice my broke ass.
Speaker 4: Don't have insurance.
Speaker 3: I'd never like, I'd never lie to you, but I think that's what's wrong. My dentist is supposed to take care of it in Beverly Hills, but he's in prison for fraud. I've always been healthy, but lately I've been waking up confused and dizzy.
Speaker 4: And a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 3: I just can't go to the doctor because I can't even afford it. I don't want anything. I just want to be Okay, scared brother, was there a.
Speaker 1: Response that they knew from.
Speaker 3: So if Tyler Perry stopped responding to him, I don't know if that's the case, But if there was no response and then a lawsuit comes a few months later, that's problematic.
Speaker 2: Okay, you gotta give and we always, always, always right, want to give space for the accuser and what their experience might have been, and that's fine.
Speaker 1: We will leave that open.
Speaker 2: We have to put together a very big butt here, because you're talking about August thirty, first of this year. The other lawsuit was what June that the other actor, Dickson two hundred and what sixty.
Speaker 1: Million or something on a lawsuit.
Speaker 2: Now, this guy, Mario Rodriguez, has admitted that once he saw that lawsuit filed, that is what put him in the mindset of, Wow, this is happening to other people. I need to speak out, I need to say something. But you had three months and in that three months you asked Tyler Perry for something. You asked him for financial help in that time.
Speaker 1: Rose. That doesn't bode well, it doesn't look.
Speaker 4: And we don't know what happened.
Speaker 3: The only two people who know what happened are Mario Rodriguez and Tyler Perry. But these text messages are a window into at least his mindset in August, and it doesn't jibe with what he is saying in his lawsuit in terms of what his mindset was when he first saw the news about Derek Dixon's lawsuit in June and what we're hearing from him now on Christmas Day when he filed this lawsuit.
Speaker 2: Everything he filed in that lawsuit, even if it's true, this looks bad for your argument was moved because this is happening to other young men, So I need to speak out, I need to say something, And.
Speaker 1: You're the thing he was thinking about first though he knew.
Speaker 4: About the lawsuit, of course in.
Speaker 2: Junely he's got three four months that he knows about this lawsuit, and he didn't think about filing his own. He didn't think about other young men, He didn't what not at that time at least, or maybe he was maybe this was a way to maybe maybe he'll hook me up. Maybe this was his way of, now, let me stop saying maybe ropes that is just for an attorney. They are going to hold on through that text messag.
Speaker 3: Yes, it looks like a fishing expedition after you see that somebody is already now vulnerable and now not wanting probably any more negative press or certainly anything that would act as though this was a pattern of behavior. So yes, he reached out at a time where clearly Tyler Perry was vulnerable and talked about his own vulnerability, talked about his own needs medically and financially, and that can't be ignored.
Speaker 2: Or I'm laughing because I stopped myself. I'm like, you know, I'm never mind and you flat out said it, So this is a fishing expedition. That is exactly the thing I stopped, and I wasn't gonna speculate and then you just boom. But no, that's the point it's gonna come off to somebody like he's testing the waters, correct, right, This is he knows and maybe I can do something to him. So let me just kind of drop this to That is how it's going to be spun by his attorney. And his attorney has been talking and talking plenty. He's talking again about these new revelations.
Speaker 1: But here's the.
Speaker 2: Thing, folks, he ain't saying a whole lot different than he said the first time that this is a flat out money grabbing scam. Stay here, all right, folks, we continue here on Amy and TJ. I guess I should probably just let you take it from here. I'm trying to tiptoe and be careful with my words. You are absolutely saying it and keeping it real and saying what a lot of people are thinking. Robes and dealing with these stories are very difficult because you want to you have to leave room for the accuser and what they possibly went through. But when you're talking about destroying a man's reputation. You're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. He's on the line for Yes, there is going to be scrutiny and there should be right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I believe so, and I do think I've said this before, and I understand that it takes time and this isn't an easy thing to do for someone to come forward. But when you come forward in a civil lawsuit versus a criminal proceeding where you take it to the police versus taking it to a lawyer, I do think there is a different level of scrutiny involved as well, just in terms of people's skepticism as to the intent or why you're asking for such a large sum of money versus going to the police and seeking some sort of justice through our criminal justice system. Now we should mention Mario Rodriguez has come out we mentioned before the break and spoken out about these text messages. He's not denying them, he is not saying they're not real. He's actually defending them. And here's what he said. People are pointing to messages where I was polite, grateful or vulnerable and trying to use that to discredit me. Survivors often stay cordial. They often ask for help when they feel desperate. That doesn't mean that abuse didn't happen. Those messages were sent to Perry at a time when I was especially vulnerable, as can be seen from the context. He went on to say, continued financial support and access are not inconsistent with abuse. They are often part of the power dynamics that follow it.
Speaker 1: True. Yes, agreed, everything he said is true.
Speaker 2: Someone else could look at that and say he's well trying to cover his bases.
Speaker 1: Correct, He's explaining things.
Speaker 2: Away to a certain degree, looks fine line between an excuse and a reason, and this will come off as he's just making excuses for it and using a legitimate reason that other people often have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I don't think anyone.
Speaker 3: I don't think most people are now at this point with all that we've seen in trials and things coming out from the Me too movement, we all understand that that is true that someone or an alleged victim or a victim being cordial with their abuser.
Speaker 4: That we have absolutely seen cases of that.
Speaker 3: But I don't think that's what the problem is for him with these texts. It's not about him being cordial. It's not about him being grateful. It's not even about him expressing love or gratitude. We've seen that all before. This is about the inconsistency of what he said in his lawsuit about what he did that he cut off ties that Tyler Perry was.
Speaker 4: Reaching back out to him.
Speaker 3: This basically reveals something very different than what he was describing in his lawsuit.
Speaker 2: Yes, he gave us this is a different direction. It is a different story. We had one idea in our mind about how this thing possibly went, and he told one story. This is a very big detail to leave out of your story, wrote, he had to know. He knew what he had done the past several months. He knew he reached out in August. I mean he might have reached out more recently. And this has now come out and we don't know where it came from. Do you think do you have an idea maybe where this had come from.
Speaker 3: I would think if I were Tyler Perry, I would want those texts to come out for sure. I would want the other side to be shown. I would want people to have a fuller picture of the experience he had. Now, Tyler Perry hasn't said anything correct about this in particular, just through his chance through his.
Speaker 4: Attorney, who I love what Alex Spiro said. I said it before and I'll say it again.
Speaker 3: This is nothing but a seventy seven million dollar money grab scam.
Speaker 1: End of statement period. What else you need to know? That is all they're saying.
Speaker 2: And this guy remind me it was Alec Baldwin jay Z who this guy has defended.
Speaker 3: He has some incredible experience with some heavy hitters being accused of some pretty heinous things.
Speaker 2: I don't know where this goes from here. Again, it was filed on Christmas Day. It's just a coincidence. I'm sure that it was filed on that day, seventy seven million dollars. But these are difficult stories. Will continue to speak on this one. And this is another Weinstein. I'm not comparing these two in any way, but I'm saying Tyler Perry is at a height and at a level of success, and they are empires and people and networks and careers that could end if he goes down in some way.
Speaker 4: It's a big deal.
Speaker 2: It's a huge This can't be a bigger name out there that for something like this to start happening to And again, I want to be clear of a comparison. I'm not trying to see yes, he is in any way guilty of the same heinous things that how Weinstein is. But I'm saying that the type of collapse something like this causes.
Speaker 1: This isn't just a celebrity.
Speaker 2: This is a guy who has created shows, he has created movies, he has created careers. He's created a studio in Atlanta, a whole studio.
Speaker 4: He has a movie empire.
Speaker 2: He does, and so this is a very important story. We will keep our eye on. We just wanted to get you this update that it came in yesterday, and over nights we'll keep an eye on to stay with us here on Amy and TJ. Our feed will be full of all kinds of updates during the day. Of course, our morning run coming your way, hear me. Just a couple of hours you can look for that. And what's the other. We have a crazy, crazy story to update you about, especially at a time when people are going to be thinking.
Speaker 1: About the holidays.
Speaker 2: Robes drinking alone has been banned in a bar. Yes, folks, we had a full day here on Amy and DJ is a by all means, stick with us. We always appreciate you spending some time, but for now I'm TJ holmes On, behalf of my dar Amy Robot.
Speaker 5: We will talk to y'alls
Speaker 2: M