Speaker 1: LinkedIn News. First of all, I don't look at my bank account. I don't need that negativity in my life.
Speaker 2: After a long weekend, I'm like, okay, oh, absolutely, Monday mornings.
Speaker 1: Hold hands, we're going to war. I'm gonna ask myself how much ram and do I need to eat this week to account for that. I walked by a department store, so something said spoil yourself. You have one life, yolo That yolo got me broke.
Speaker 3: From LinkedIn News and I heard podcasts. This is Let's Talk Offline, a show about what it takes to thrive in the early years of your career without sacrificing your values, sanity or sleep. I'm Gianna Prudenti, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Jamaie Jackson Gadson. The only thing better than that first real job is that first real paycheck, honey making it rain in the club on a Friday. But look, before you do all that, I know you're asking yourselves some real adult questions. What am I even supposed to do with this money? I mean, should I buy that new phone I've been looking at? Or should I be investing my money? What is a four one K or an ira? Honestly, all them Letta's numbers and digits and whatever else is really confusing for me. And I know that this is something that they are not teaching you in school, which is why it's really easy to feel kind of lost when it comes to money conversations.
Speaker 3: Yes, I feel lost in this all so when it comes to personal finance, and that's why the basics are so important. Understanding personal finance basics can really set you up for long term success and make you feel confident about managing your money. So today we're gonna be talking all about personal finance and how you can come up with a game plan to reach those financial goals.
Speaker 4: Me too.
Speaker 1: See, so I know talking about personal finance is probably a little weird. You guys are probably like Jimmy Gianna, we did not sign up for personal finance podcast, Okay, But the truth of the matter is personal finance is extremely important. At the end of the day, you are going to go out and make your first big boy or big girl paycheck, and you're gonna probably ask the same thing I did, Can I spend all of this on food? Your first paycheck and your money is going to matter throughout your career. But I realized that a lot of people don't even know where to start. I mean, they don't even know how it plays into the long term of your success, especially when you land that first job and you don't even know what to do. That's why I'm super excited, y'all. We are excited because finance expert Vivian two, who you probably know as your rich bff online, is coming on to talk us all through it. But first, Gianna, let me ask you. What trends have you seen in your reporting about gen Z and their relationship to money.
Speaker 3: Yes, so all spirts acknowledge like when it comes to money management, there is privilege and being able to you know, save and budget. Not everyone has that extra income to be able to save and invest, and a lot of people are burdened with debt and living paycheck to paycheck. But hopefully from this episode you're able to, you know, gain the tools and strategies to make better financial decisions and work toward whatever financial goals you have, even if it's just one small step. But I think when it comes to like gen Z and our relationship with money, I saw a study from TransUnion that found that people who are in their early twenties are earning less and have more debt than millennials did our age, which, like, I'm totally not here to pin the generations against each other, but it's the reality of, you know, the moment, and so it can really feel impossible for us to get financially ahead or build any type of financial wealth in today's economy. So we're just full of this financial angst and a lot of people I've been seeing this get reported out are experiencing what we call money dysmorphia, and that's having a flawed perception of your finances, so thinking you have less than you actually do, and that can impact you know, your spending habits. It can make you moll over financial decisions more than you need to, and it's very common. A report from Credit Karma showed that forty three percent of gen z or suffer from money dysmorphia, and that's compared to twenty nine percent of workers overall. And a lot of that money dysmorphia is caused by comparison on social media. I think, you know, social media is great, but of course that's you know, a reason why we fall victim to comparison is you see other people the way that they're spending their money, and you're like, oh, I'm not in that position, even if maybe you are. All of this is to say that money management can be very anxiety inducing because we don't learn anything personal finance out all in school and suddenly you enter the workforce. You have a four to one K What is that? Like? You have a paycheck? Should you be saving? Should you be budgeting? And I swear to God every time my mom asked me like are you saving money? Like I just booked trip and she's like, well, John, I just want to make sure are you saving money? I'm like, literally gonna throw up.
Speaker 1: My mother does the exact same thing. She's like, do you have a budget?
Speaker 3: V A few weeks ago, I'm working midday, i get an email from my mom with a budget template. I'm like, or is this coming from I'm going to tell you mom, if you're listening. I still have not looked at that, but I you know, it just stresses me out to get my finances in order. I think a lot of people can probably relate to that, this idea of having to sit down and look at how much is coming in and coming out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lot. First of all, I don't look at my bank account. I don't need that negativity in my life. Honestly.
Speaker 3: Look, after a long weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, oh absolutely, Monday morning, let's hold hands and we're going to this idea.
Speaker 1: In it, I'm going to ask myself how much rom and do I need to eat this week to account for that? I walked by a department store, so something said, spoil yourself. You have one life, Yolo. That yolo got me broke. Uh huh. So, Gianna, I feel like you've sort of I've talked a lot about how gen Z feels about this, but like, what has your relationship been like with money?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Good questions. I do have to talk about it. I guess I'm in the hot seat. Yeah, I think I always like grew up being kind of cautious about spending money. Also, fun fact, my last name in Italian means cautious. So it's just like literally does make sense? Yeah, you know me so much?
Speaker 1: Everything sense?
Speaker 3: It was written in the stars. Why I couldn't choose this life from myself?
Speaker 1: Jackson doesn't mean anything except the son of jack I guess.
Speaker 3: But you know, my mom grew up like my grandparents came here from Italy and you know, they struggled to make ends me and she grew up where my grandpa, my no no, was very frugal with money, so I think she kind of internalized that. And then when I was growing up, she always told me siblings, like every penny counts, every dollar count So I was always saving. I was like, okay, you know, you never know what's gonna happen when a rainy day, you know, hits. But now, living on my own in the New York City area, saving has been a struggle. Like once you so I, for context, I lived at home for two years after graduation, saved my money, and then you move out and suddenly it's like, where did my paycheck go?
Speaker 1: You're like, wow, this is what the adults we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's like the biggest like adulting one oh one reality check. So now I'm balancing, you know, my rent payments, my student loan, living expenses. And I acknowledge that working in tech, you know, I make a good salary, but it's still it's just expensive to live, you know. And my mom has always been the one who's really helped me on my personal finance journey, Like she is like a financial advisor. You know, on the side, she's helped me, you know, figure out what investment funds I should be in early on and moving some of my money out of, you know, just my big account so it's just not sitting there collecting to us. But I know I can be doing a lot better with budgeting. I was saying before, Like the idea of having to sit down and understand how much is me in and coming out of my bank account really makes me want to peeuke. Like it's just I don't have a budget and I probably need one, And I also want to figure out like my financial goals. I'm at a point right now where yeah, one day I would love to have a house, but like I'm twenty five, so do I start saving now? Like that seems like a little bit far off. So I need all the help when it comes to just like getting my you know, budgeting and financial goals in order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean, first of all, give yourself credit. You're having conversations and even asking yourself questions that I don't think a lot of people are asking themselves, or at least are in a position to ask themselves. You know, you mentioned at the very beginning that some people don't get the privilege of talking. When I was your age, I was not making good money, so I couldn't even articulate really what long term goals are. I knew that I needed to make them, but I was like, the money gotta come first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I do. I definitely acknowledge that there's a lot of privilege with working in tech because I've been able to, you know, have some investments saving. But I think it's I like to treat myself like I knew too much, you know, so I need to I need to scale back. And I really do credit all to my mom, like she has really been the one being like, you got to get it in order.
Speaker 1: Those books on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm wondering for you, like your early paychecks, what was Jammae Little Jamay spending her money on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, my experience with money, first of all, has been an interesting one. But my mom really was one Like from the young age. She put me in like financial literacy classes that were taught at my church, which was really nice, awesome. Yeah. She used to sit me down and as she would clean out her check books, you know, she would do her she literally would go she could get down to the dime, her money in her bank account, and like she would always constantly check and make sure everything was aligned. She showed me how she paid bills and all that stuff. So I did get the opportunity at a young age to see sort of what was be expected. But then I was like, dang, I gotta do this now for yourself, for me. Like now I I wholly understand why Beyonce said, ladies, leave your man at home.
Speaker 3: Now you guys hear parents were always stressed.
Speaker 1: Now I know why. When they came home they said, don't talk to me for fifteen minutes, like, let me just put some TV on. They the world sucks. So you know, I was blessed though that when I went to college, I went on a full ride, so we didn't have to worry financially about that. But I've always been in a very ambitious person, so I still worked all throughout college. I've always had jobs, so I always wanted pocket money because one thing I don't like is for people to tell me what to do with my money. Don't tell me what to do here, right, good good thing. We're not like, you know, possibly gonna be telling people like hey, stop doing this. But I always loved financial autonomy and I always felt like powerful in that. One of the things, though, that we were talking about, was that throughout my career, especially throughout most of my twenties, I did not make money enough to be able to save, let alone invest and have some of these bigger conversations that we're having. I was making enough money to get by, and that's why being a lancer, having a side hustle is something that is so important to me and that I will always talk about because it was those little gigs of a two hundred and fifty dollars job or a five hundred dollars cover feature that covered me and made sure I kept my lights on, especially when I decided, Hey, I'm going to move to the most expensive city in the world, New York. But like I did not make wise decisions financially as when you're younger, I still sometimes don't. I really much so believe you still have to enjoy life. But I now am at a place where I'm like, Okay, I'll be an adult. You know, yes, you can go to the club or the ballers are there. You also got to start building out long term strategy growing up. I'm growing up. I'm a city girl, but a responsible financial city girl. You know, you want to build a home, you want to get married, you want to start a family, these things really. Yeah, when I hear how much weddings cost, I'm like, no, our friends just spent like six figures on their wedding. It was beautiful. But yeah, so like things are expensive. And so now I'm trying to go into conversations with that in mind and really telling myself, Okay, if you chip off fifty dollars on your eating out fun, that doesn't mean you're depriving yourself, but you can put that money into something else. And so I think the conversation is changing, and certainly my viewpoint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it seems like both of us could do a little better with money management. Yeah, I think. God, we got an expert coming on.
Speaker 1: Oh, tell me what to do, but don't want me to give up. Oysters coming up. You really can never have enough work besties. So we're bringing in finance expert Vivian two aka your rich bff, to help us break down what personal finance moves you should be making early in your career. So I get it, y'all. Personal finance can feel and sound super scary. I mean, honestly, my armpits get sweaty just talking about money. I know it's a bad things. It feels taboo, but the reality is we got to start having these conversations. But we're not just going to lean on me and Gianna this week. We are going to bring it a heavy hitter who's going to talk to us all about the money on Gianna, who do we have this week?
Speaker 3: All right? First off, we need to count on how many times Jamaze our bits get sweaty during the day.
Speaker 1: It's essentially always sweaty. I am a.
Speaker 3: Snoweaty girl, no problem, we all are, okay, So I'm so excited we're bringing on Vivian two. You guys definitely know her as your rich bff on social media. She's a former Wall Street trader who offers her community of over seven million followers advice on how to manage their money and better understand the financial landscape. She's also the author of rich af The Winning Money Mindset that Will Change Your Life, which gives readers tools on how to develop their own finance strategies. Vivian, thanks so much for joining us. Vivian, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: So let's go in and start off with a question that I think a lot of people, myself included, have, which is what's a really common early career money mistake that you see young people make.
Speaker 5: I think one of the biggest ones is being happy and comfortable with that inflation raise. I don't know what dork invented that, but it is the worst thing ever. It's when you get to the end of the year and you don't ask for a raise yourself, and your boss comes in smug and they're smiling, and they're like, well, I've got some great news for you, like we are giving you an inflation raise for working so hard. It's going to be two percent. What the hell does that get you? Nothing? Okay, that means you are essentially making the same amount this next year as you did this year, because we all know inflation is roughly two to three percent, So your life is getting more expensive. Even if you do make that a little additional, you're spending it, and you're spending it not on fun things. You're spending it on things that like eggs at the grocery store. So I think the first one is understanding what an actual raise looks like. And knowing that you have to ask for one every single year. I always get roasted on the internet when I say this out loud, but I'm like, every single year you need to be asking for a raise of somewhere between ten to fifteen percent, and people are always so shell shocked by that number when in reality, I'm not saying you're going to get fifteen percent every single year. But if you ask for ten to fifteen and you end up getting eight, that is actually a true raise. That means that your money is going to do more for you because you're making more versus just keeping up with inflation and your life doesn't actually get any better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that a lot. Usually what I do is I add my requests in my performance evaluation. It doesn't mean it's always going to happen, but at least there's something documented that says, this is the money I'm asking for. Here is the proof of why I'm asking for it, and hopefully we land somewhere so that we can have a little bit more money in the bank.
Speaker 3: Vivian, I want to ask you a question about, you know, all the things savings and budgeting. You know, this is like a lot of people's like first big girl jobs are starting to get those paychecks and potentially have some money to put aside and save. Before we get into that, I'm assuming that the first step to budgeting and saving is kind of clarifying those financial goals. So how do you determine, you know, what is a goal, is it feasible? And then how do you make a plan to achieve them?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think all of our goals are really going to differ, but I think it's all about setting up that plan. What I like to do is when I have a goal, I write out a goal at the top of the piece of paper that I have in front of me, and then I will say what is the timeline for me to accomplish this? And then from that timeline, I'll break it out into twenty five, fifty and seventy five percent and then the one hundred. So if the goal takes six months, I'm going to do a check in around a month and a half in I'm going to do a check in at three, four and a half and then six, And then I write down who can actually help me accomplish this goal, what I actually need to get this done, and then I also write down what are my strengths and weaknesses that are going to help and hurt me from achieving this. So, for example, if my goal is to save two thousand dollars, one of the strengths is, hey, I have a really good job and I get a really good salary. Weaknesses can be when I see money in my bank account, I use the money in my bank account, and I get the little treat. I've got the drinks out with friends, I got my nails done, I got the lashes done. Suddenly I don't have that two thousand dollars saved, and maybe that two thousand dollars was for a new laptop so I could start a photography business on the side. So I think knowing what your strengths and weaknesses are is really helpful, and then also building systems to actually prevent your weaknesses from derailing you. So in that case, sometimes I can be very shortsighted. And if I want to have a long term goal or a bigger picture goal, what I like to do is so many of us these days get paid via direct deposit, and if you're a W two employee, you can typically go into your workplace portal where you set it up initially when you first started the job, instead of putting one hundred percent into a checking account, you can put ninety percent or ninety five percent and automatically set aside five to ten percent into a high healed savings account where your money's earning you more money. But also you don't see it, it's not there. Just pretend it's not there, and that way you won't spend it.
Speaker 3: That sounds really smart when it's at a site out of mind, you don't spend it. But when it comes to like budgeting and saving best practices, you know, that's something that like we obviously don't learn that in school. And then to even start creating a budget, to even start building a savings feels incredibly intimidating. So how do you even start, Like, let's start with budgeting. How do you even start to create a budget? What should you be putting in as your different line items in the budget? How much of your you know, paycheck do you put where? How do you kind of go about that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think one of my favorite budgeting strategies, and again a different strategy is going to work for different people, But my favorite one, because it's so simple, is the fifty to thirty twenty budgeting strategy. It just roughly says, fifty percent of your take home pay goes towards needs, So that's things like rent, groceries, basic transportation to get you to and fro. Thirty percent goes towards wants, so this is things like that dinner out, the nails, the cute little dress. Twenty percent goes towards taking care of future you. So that's saving, that's paying down your debt, and that's investing. And this is just a jump off point, and I think this is a really good format for the beginning of your career. And the hope is that over time, as you make more money, as you become more financially stable, that fifty and thirty can actually become smaller numbers, and that twenty rises and rises and rises, you know, so that you are able to set aside more and take care of yourself in the future more.
Speaker 3: That seems like such a great first step.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I appreciate also that, like you're not telling people just don't spend money on you, because that's so unrealistic. You want to be able to enjoy your money at every age of your life. But you also need to be thinking about tomorrow and hopefully that you won't have to work until you're in your li like eighties. So Vivian. One thing that I'm always talking with my friends about is how money is such a different conversation, particularly for people of color. I know, like there are terms that are thrown around, like the black tax, where we're evaluating how the paycheck that I make is not just supporting me, it's supporting my parents, it's supporting the aunts and uncles who things happen to whatever. So what tips would you recommend on budgeting or even enforcing those boundaries with the people who you want to help, but maybe sometimes you can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this hits so close to home because you know, similar to the Black tax, like there is the dutiful Chinese Asian, you know, the daughter, like you have to kind of take care of everybody back home. And I have so many friends where when they get their bonus at the end of the year, there's an expectation that they're sending that bonus home because maybe they grew up, you know, undersupported in an underprivileged neighborhood and like their parents need that money to like fix the car or like make sure that like the windows aren't like broke in. And so my big tip is never ever lend money period, you only gift because when I tell you Uncle Lester whoever is going to borrow that, but you're never seeing that shit again. No, that is going to cause severe resentment. It's just going to make family relationships awkward, and you don't want to do that. In the same way that you are setting aside dollars for your needs and your wants, you can actually build into part of either of those categories, like gifting for your family. So if this is like, oh, I want to make sure that my parents and my siblings or aunts and uncles can have a really wonderful winter holiday, that can go into wants. If it's my parents need this money to fix the car, my parents need this money to help make sure that like my little brother can afford textbooks and lunch. That can go into needs. But again, you want to budget for this and never ever ever loan money. Only gift.
Speaker 1: And also it kind of makes you think give as much as you're willing to lose.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, And frankly, in the first few years of your career, very few of us make enough to be making a huge meaningful difference. Whereas if we can build our own financial foundation in a couple of years, when we become you know, a more of a VP level or a senior level or even like junior management, you're going to have a lot more disposable income to actually throw to the people that really really matter to you.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about four oh one k's for a minute, a little bit of a pivot. It can be super confusing when setting that up, from like selecting you know how much of your paycheck you're allocating towards your four oh one K to what investment funds you're in. So can you break down how you know to set up a four one K and the different types, because I know that's so confusing, like pre tax roth all the things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, four oh one k's company sponsored employer sponsored retirement plans are so awesome and it would be a shame for the folks listening to miss out on this. So what I always say is take the fifteen minutes. Whoever their provider is, go ahead and log in and make that account right away. Then find out through your company handbook or through the HR benefits team. They typically you know, talk to the crew of people who are being onboarded what your company matches. If you can contribute and you can afford to give up that amount every single month, try to contribute as much as your company is willing to match, because that is free money, and there are very few instances in the finance space where you get free money and there's no random, you know, scam happening. So truly take advantage of that if you can. And then once you get in there, this is the big mistake people make. They're contributing those dollars and then they don't do anything. They're like, yes, I'm done, I'm investing in my foremu one kiit. No you are not. Those dollars are sitting in something called cash reserves. Cash reserves is the equivalent of you putting that money into a savings account and you're not really actually investing. What you then need to do is actually choose and pick investments. Obviously, every single employer sponsor plan is going to be different. Your employer is going to pick what investments are available to you. But just as a broad strokes works for a lot of people works for most people, is most employers will offer target date retirement funds, and essentially how these work are their baskets of investments that are diversified and risk appropriate based on how far away you are from retirement. So what you do is you just choose the retirement fund most closely associated to the year that you would turn sixty, sixty five, or seventy, depending on how aggressive you want to be. But this is just a quick, easy way for you to buy one thing and essentially be buying hundreds, if not thousands, of actual individual assets.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you saying, like, the biggest mistake when it comes to form one keys that you can make is not setting it up and not choosing your investments. So like, whatever you do decide to do is good. I feel like it could be overwhelming when there are so many options, but it's just about like setting it up and investing somewhere and then like assessing it as you know, you go throughout your career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, Vivian, we have a wonderful segment here called Dear Work Investie, and I want to ask you a question that we got this week from one of our listeners. We get to address the questions from people who listen to the show, and this week's comes from Mikayla in New Jersey.
Speaker 4: So a lot of my friends talk about investing, and I'm interested in getting started, but the idea of it is completely overwhelming. I don't know where to begin because there's so many options, and I'd prefer to be hands off. What's the first step I should take? Are there any specific funds or type of investments you would recommend?
Speaker 1: Now, Vivian, you literally just talked about this, But for someone like Mikayla who doesn't even know like the first step, what would you recommend?
Speaker 5: I would say, you don't need to. You can just invest the lazy way. So we're not in our parents' generation anymore. And as with everything, technology rules my life, and so why not let technology invest on your behalf and for you? And so what I recommend is utilize something called a robo advisor. If you do not have the time to pick investments, you do not have the time to be worried about all of this stuff, go ahead and just search best robo advisors twenty twenty four and you're going to get a list from either like nerd wallet or bank rate or something that'll show you a bunch of really great options. And what you can then do is click in find one that you like their user interface. You're going to take a quick quiz about your money goals. So how much money do you have, how much money do you make every year? Do you have any debt? How many kids do you have? If you have kids? Where would you eventually like to live? When do you want to retire?
Speaker 4: Da?
Speaker 1: Da da da da.
Speaker 5: Then this little technology machine goes through the room and it spits out a diversified portfolio based on you, based on your age, based on your risk tolerance, based on all the things that are important to you. And then they send you this questionnaire about every year or too. And as you get older and you know, maybe you make some more money, or maybe you have an issue with you know, losing your job and you're making less money, your entire financial picture will continue to change, but your portfolio gets to change with you constantly. And it's just a great way to get invested within forty five minutes and not be stressed about the decisions you're making and questioning am I doing the right thing? Oh?
Speaker 1: I love that because it feels it makes you feel like you're still doing something, like I'm still involved, but also something else is doing a lot of the work for me. Oh I like that a lot.
Speaker 3: So is this service like investing on your behalf or do you then have to go and like it's recommending this, you know, this portfolio for you and then you investor or is it doing it all for you?
Speaker 1: Like it's actually is your money?
Speaker 3: No, it does it all for you? Oh amazing, Yeah, love that way. So earlier in the in the show, I talked about money dysmorphia. How does that impact money management? And then what's your advice on addressing it.
Speaker 5: I think so many of us have money dysmorphia because so many of our relationships with money were dictated based on our childhoods. You learn so many of your money behaviors from your family, the people you grew up with, and maybe they were dealing with something that is not even relevant to your life now, but is something that is still really, really hard and this impacts people of color, immigrant children the hardest. I say that as someone who has money dysmorphia, I am in a very different financial position now than I was in my early twenties, and that is a completely different financial position than my parents have ever been in. You know, my parents were the immigrants, like they came over I'm first gen and so they were constantly worried about scrimping and saving and stuffing money under the mattress because they always felt like the other shoe was going to drop. You know. They were here to survive. But I'm entitled. I was born here, I have a blue passport. What are you going to do? Like, I am here to thrive, not just survive. But it takes a little bit of work on that part to remember that, because sometimes, even now, knowing how comfort I am in my finances, I'll look at something and belabor a decision of should I get it, should I not? For hours and then I'm like, on seventeen different websites comparing prices seeing where I can do this, that I wasted three hours of my time. And I think the most valuable thing we need to remember is that, like, ultimately, we do not need to let anybody else be the main character in our life.
Speaker 1: This is our story.
Speaker 5: We hold the pen. And when it comes to money dysmorphia, I think looking at the numbers, as scary as that may be, sometimes is one of the most healing and honest reflections of what your financial picture actually is versus I think I'm doing really badly, or versus the opposite. The flip side is like you think you're doing great when in fact you've got four dollars and you're about to overdraft. So it's just really important to look at the numbers because you can lie to yourself, but the numbers won't lie to you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you saying that because I feel like so many people around my age are scared to look at their finances. Like, honestly, me included, like I earn a good salary, but if you said Gianna gol and like see how much is coming in and alley, it literally makes me want to throw up. So I feel like it's all about just like level setting with yourself, like stop lying to yourself, and then you know it will help you stop losing so much sanity over some decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, Vivian, this was so fun. Oh my goodness, thank you so much. If y'all are not following Vivian by now, are you living under a rock? Do you have findance? But where can the people find you?
Speaker 5: You? Guys can find me across all social media, whatever is your favorite platform as your rich bff. I'm teaching you all personal finance there as well as my book. It's titled rich AF The Winning Money Mindset That'll Change your life. But if you go to RICHAF dot me, yes, I made the rl a manifestation, you can grab a copy.
Speaker 3: I love that manifest That money y'all yet amazing. Thank you so much, Vivian. I love this conversation. I have like a million more questions I can ask you, but that's all we got for today.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys so much for having me.
Speaker 3: Ooh, lots of great tips from Vivian. That combo makes me want to see how my four oh one k is doing right now. Actually, I'm kind of scared. After the break, every workplace has a apper. Is it you that's next? Seriously, that was just not enough time with a Vivian.
Speaker 1: I my mind is blown. I have so many more questions. I felt like I was doing well until she started talking, and then I'm like, Wow, there's a lot of work to be done.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest things I'm taking away from our conversation one being her fifty thirty twenty budgeting framework. Seems like it easy first step. I can definitely do that, but the way to get there is my second takeaway, Look at your finances. I think it's time I need to like audit myself and really just yeah, I got I gotta, I gotta face the music.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think we have to see our finances as our companions. It's time to spend some time with them. Why right, So we have no money for that, no money, no money for the wine. For me, I really loved the tips that she shared, particularly for communities of color, and the pressure that happens when you are trying to support a lot of people. You can, but sometimes it's good to enforce those boundaries and also know maybe I can't give you too much now, but I can give it to you later. Look at these things as gifts and not loans.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Another thing that I think was really resonant for me was this idea of asking for the money even if you know you're not going to get it, Even if, for instance, you're not in an annual review cycle where their money is a flowing, you're not up for promotion. It is so good to document and to ask for the money because the inflation rate is not enough's high.
Speaker 3: I want to add that I'm taking away from you that putting it in your performance review brilliant thought about doing that?
Speaker 1: Why not add a little razzle dazzle up in there, little season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've never asked for a raise, So we're gonna stop. That's a conversation for another anyways.
Speaker 1: Anyways, so we are now going to toss it over and to show the risk sipts. This is a segment where we get to take a look at some of the headlines and the workplace trends. Maybe Eve had some office myths and see if there's any truth to them.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Gee, what are we talking about today?
Speaker 3: All right? We're talking about gen z ors loving yapping in the office. Do you know what that means? Do you know what a yapper is?
Speaker 1: I know what? My definition is? Someone who just talk a whole lot, right, Like it's just like yep, yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ramble, ramble nothing important.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, here's the thing.
Speaker 3: It's not really like a new term, but gen Z you know, that's the whole thing with us. It's like we're just rebranding. It all comes back fun title generation exactly. If you guys remember our side Hustle episode with Janie and she called herself a certified yapper, which I feel like I felt seen in that she woren't proudly yeah, and as you should. You know, there's a lot of TikTok videos, a lot of articles out there about gen Ze calling themselves certified yappers at work, and then there's been a lot of reports like is that good in the workplace? Right? So some people don't mind it, some people are like, shut up. So I'm wondering, do you consider yourself the apper? And does the yapping belong in the workplace?
Speaker 1: Okay, So before I answer, let's just put some clarity here. So a yapper is someone who talks a lot. Are they talking about something important or they're just talking just to hear themselves talk.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I've definitely like called myself a yapper. But I think like in the context of work, the way that yapping is being portrayed now is like gen Z's coming to work. You know, we've been socially isolated for a minute, so we're coming in. We want to talk. Sometimes it's not the most important thing, perhaps, but we're just we're just letting it, you know, flow got it because we're kind of craving, you know, that connection.
Speaker 1: Sort of a thing of like you want the interaction with people, so you'll just kind of talk just to yeah, no, no.
Speaker 3: No no. It reminds me like I hate no no, no, no.
Speaker 1: No no a lot of like when people create small talk just to do it. It makes me feel like, Okay, like if you want to talk about something valuable or important, and I mean I'm not saying like those are not, but like I don't want to force conversation just because you want interaction, but I also can understand why someone would want to do that. That's why I have my headphones at my desk that I put them on the over the ear kind so you kind of miss them.
Speaker 3: I was trying to yap to Jamay and she could not hear me because they were noise canceling.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not anything.
Speaker 3: I would like consider myself a yap or honestly, like, I'm not ashamed. I do think I can yap, but it's situational. Like if I'm at work and I'm like at my desk and I'm in the zone, there's a there's a time and place, is what I'm gonna say for yapping, right, Like if we're walking to get coffee, maybe I'm blabbling to you. Maybe we're like having a offline you know, conversation. Fine, we're yapping, but like at my desk, come up and dest bond me and start yapping. Oh my god. No, I'm overstimulated as is and now I'm crashing.
Speaker 1: And also I just want to size this for all of you morning yappers.
Speaker 3: Count your days. I'm a morning person, but don't talk to me before I have my co do.
Speaker 1: Not like the eight o'clockers who are like, oh my god, let me tell you about everything that's happening in the world and how I want to like solve for world hunger. Save it for none, not even noon, not even noone, because I'm going to lunch, like please save it. Yeah no, no, I think the apping can be effective, but I think even more effective is intentional networking, coming in with an intention and setting the goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just got to be mindful of other people in their time, like people you know not always open to the apping.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no, no, no, no, no, Well I would love to know if you all are certified yappers or if you guys are sort of a let me put my headphones on. I'm gonna skip the app in more dap for the tap like to may But anyway, guys, let us know. We would love to know. And thank you guys so much for listening to this week's episode.
Speaker 3: And make sure you guys are following our newsletter. Let's talk offline. We go even deeper into the topics we discussed on the pad. There's some exclusive content, all the fun things. The link to the newsletter will be in the show description. You can also find it on my LinkedIn bio. It's called you Guessed It.
Speaker 1: Let's Talk offline, avum, guards, flowers and spring breaking.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Also, thank you so much to MICHAELA for sending in your listener question. You all can also send us your questions. You don't have to be shy, okay, Gianna and I want to hear from you. Information on how to do that is also in the show description. I always tell you all this because I know somebody is gonna hop it on emails at LinkedIn. Where can I find go? Look in the show description. I love you, besty, but go look in the show description.
Speaker 3: Also, guys, one last thing, make sure you rate and follow the show. We'd love to hear from you, all right, before you go, remember We've always got your back, and if something comes up, Let's Talk Offline. I'm Giana Prenti.
Speaker 1: And I'm the not Yapper Today Jackson Gads stay Thriving.
Speaker 3: Let's Talk Offline is a production of LinkedIn News and iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Western Sound. Our producer is Sabrina Fang. The show is edited by Savannah Wright. Our associate producer is Sarah Dealey. Alex mckinnis is our engineer, and Ben Adair is the executive producer.
Speaker 1: Executive producers at iHeart Podcasts are Katrina Norvel and Nikki Etour. We got support from LinkedIn's Jesse Humple, Sarah Storm, and Ayana Angel. Maya Pope. Chappelle is director of Content, Dave Pond is Head of News Production, Courtney Coop is Head of Original Programming, and Dan Roth is the editor in chief of LinkedIn