Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Presspass Podcast. It is Friday, November first. The Ravens are geared up for a game on Sunday against the Denver Broncos one o'clock at M and T Banks Stadium. Today, as the Ravens prepare for that game, after practice, we heard from head coach John Harball.
Speaker 2: Okay, great seeing everybody, appreciate you being here. A great practice, great day. Excited for Sunday. One thing to start with is make a wish. They found the Make Waish Foundation and the good work they do. And we had two great Ravens fans here, Ashton and Liam, and they were man, they were great. They broke the huddle, the guys cheered for him. They got a bunch of autographs and got a bunch of pictures, and I think they're having a lot of fun. They will be honorary captains for the game on Sunday. They'll be out there at the coin toss and join that. So I just congratulate them for being here and for the type of people they are, and also to the organization. They do a great job. Heather does a great job all the organization, Steve's leadership, there's an amazing job of of reaching out to the communities and the and the kids like Liam and Ashton and and all kinds of other situations. So very proud to be a part of something like that. All right, what question do you have.
Speaker 3: John We saw the more back out there. How did the work out?
Speaker 4: Pat?
Speaker 2: You look good? Yeah, you look good. Good day for Lamar.
Speaker 3: Did you guys make a trade over there? You were there long time?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We Uh, we had a good conversation, had a lot of fun. Steve joke.
Speaker 3: Sometimes there is a Junke siptimes.
Speaker 2: If they only knew how much time we spent actually making fun of people, they would So it was a good conversation. But well, that's what I mean, that's what I mean.
Speaker 5: We we have we we do.
Speaker 2: But uh no, it's good having Steve here and uh and they spend time with the players, spends time with the coach is very involved with everything we do and so much appreciated. No way effect Montorians is playing, Yes.
Speaker 3: About Lamar said he's playing so right.
Speaker 4: Right, but don obviously Jonfrey Johnson's coming in mid season, it can be challenging with only a few days of practice.
Speaker 5: How did he do and do you feel that he's at least up the speed that he can contribute in some ways from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did well and I do feel that.
Speaker 4: Yes, John, like pet Mitchell, was full part thats been left, has two practices. He said. One of the most important things with him is whether he can protect himself on the fielders. That's something that he may have seen over the courts of practice this week.
Speaker 3: He looked good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, and we'll just have to make a decision as we go forward here this roster up. You know, implications to all that as well, but the main thing as a coach, you look at he's looking good. So it's good to see him back. And that's a tough re have we had these. It's been stellar his progress, So we'll see where we're at.
Speaker 5: Are you feeling about the depth of yournaria defensive wine right now? Though You've had a couple of guys Nick dept A return to practice today as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had some guys back and some guys not, so we'll just have to see where that. I do I feel good about the depth? Is that your question? I feel really good about our depth on the D line, and I feel the guys that to go out there whether it's the guys coming back or the guys that step in are going to do a really good job.
Speaker 4: The general sense is that obviously more challenging when you know you have a Thursday game coming right after a Sunday game, the kind of way where guys are physically and.
Speaker 2: You know, wanting to have as many guys available for either games, right, it's a consideration. You definitely have to keep both games in mind. I think when you watch the Thursday night games, you can kind of tell what a challenge it is to have you have your team, you know, as ready to play as they can be. So that's definitely part of their consideration.
Speaker 6: You mentioned Pethan Mitchell and the defensive lineman, these rosters decisions.
Speaker 1: What does that look like?
Speaker 2: IM say Saturday, that doesn't have to mad by four.
Speaker 4: But if does that discussion go till thy fifty nine tomorrow, what will happen with that?
Speaker 2: Well, I I don't know if it's ever gone to three fifty nine, but it goes as long as it needs to go. So when whenever, you know, we kind of get the information we need on the different there's always a lot of variables involved with something like that, so We'll just have to see John.
Speaker 4: What's kind of a chance when you have more does a practice for two days and has the one practice, you know, what's kind of the big job for him to be ready?
Speaker 2: Uh? You know, he'll be ready. I'm not worried about it. He studied all week, he was involved in all the all the preparation stuff. He knows the game plan, he knows the opponent. He'll be ready to go.
Speaker 4: Kind of a related question not to you guys, but a lot of concentration on Anthony richardson Indianapolis and just like him taking himself out of that one play because he was so exhausted after the last one. We've seen Lamar make a lot of high exertion plays that you guys have like a kind of protocol place for not putting himself in the spot where he's not related to his injuries or anything. But just like when he makes a really really tough play, he's exhausted after that kind of have assistant set of play where he's Guys, I feel a little bit.
Speaker 2: Distracted.
Speaker 3: I what was your question again?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, we're ware of it. I mean I think it's something that's important to be aware of that you know, uh, really for any player, but certainly of course the quarterback and uh, you know when they when they do something extraordinary like that, which Lamar does quite often. So it is something that we do try to take that into account. You and Lamar are kind of hinted at its being, you know, a long tree.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of wear and care when.
Speaker 2: It's in terms that I'm getting the rest games.
Speaker 5: Is that something you could see happening again?
Speaker 2: This is phenomenal right here, This is great. Yesterday was Halloween, but yeah, I mean, could you see this rest thing for Lamar?
Speaker 3: That the way he went through this weekend?
Speaker 2: Could you see that happening again for him?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I absolutely could. I think that what he's saying is right. And uh, and that's just kind of goes hand in hand with your question here. I think all that stuff you got, you gotta take that into consideration for sure. And you want your players to be at their best on Sunday, you know, and so it's always a little bit of that it has to be taken into account.
Speaker 4: N Was there a point of emphasis with holding the ball when you brought to the goldline.
Speaker 5: There a couple of those that happened to be downs of the week.
Speaker 2: We did show the one last week. We do that on Fridays where we show different situations, and that was one of the ones that came up just yesterday. The one the week before, we showed that one when they didn't have the camera angle down the line, and then it came up last night too, So yeah, that's definitely something to talk about. There's so many little things to the game that you just want to teach your guys, and the goal really is because you got to decide how deep you want to dig into that is really what are the guys need to know? What if they need to know? What do the players need to know to make good decisions as much as possible in all the myriad of things that can come up like that. So you do try to go through that and we do a good job that Daniel Stern does a good job of that. We actually we have scenarios, but we call them Stern areos for Daniel Stern, and he's outstanding with that and does a great job.
Speaker 1: We also heard from quarterback Lamar Jackson. He did not practice on Wednesday or Thursday, but did return to the practice field on Friday, and here's what he had to say when he talked with the media. Some good.
Speaker 3: So the big question, Uh, do you feel like you're gonna be able to play on Friday?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sorry, excuse me, Lamar, was that ever valbri Or you knew right away?
Speaker 6: No, that wasn't a doubt the rest of my body. You know, it's a long season, that's all.
Speaker 1: He add at u Peth Johnson.
Speaker 3: Just roll with your reaction.
Speaker 5: Getting another.
Speaker 6: Good pick up, great pickup. God can get separation like our other guys. Just got to see what he made of. You know he's over here now, South Florida.
Speaker 4: You guy from South Florida, I believe as well.
Speaker 3: He's from Tempa. That ain't South, That ain't South Florida. Yeah, but he's from Florida. Though we love all Florida, but yeah, like South different. Yeah, that's where I mean where you were? You more banged up than usual all coming out of that. I'm giving out of that game. I'm on some day. I look where where you hurting?
Speaker 6: I mean, no, we got a a lot of games when these next couple of weeks. So just trying to get my body right, just keep it fresh some more so that uh, rope on I got up the super hold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a reaction to that. I was laughing like before before I uploaded it. He sent it to me.
Speaker 6: I was just don laughing. I'm like, but that's funny. It's like that was a great costume putty like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why was big abs is?
Speaker 5: Uh? After practice? Is that you give it?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 3: Was the game at all?
Speaker 4: Game playing that the impact anything?
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, won't handle me, slow me down at all? Just rest of my.
Speaker 1: Body what I would be describe as uti gets divined.
Speaker 5: I ain't getting into the game.
Speaker 3: So I believe about God's locked down.
Speaker 6: I wasn't that practice the first two days, but just from watching them, guys were locked in making things happen. Practice look good, Practice looked great, looked like I.
Speaker 3: Was out there but going see Sunday. See how guys responding after that?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: That lost last Sunday and you got on his bront defense? How motive team? How more? The defense? Uh defensive line is tremendous.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: I believe they number one defense right now.
Speaker 6: Those guys are just flying around making things happen, creating turnovers, uh, creating chaos in the backfield, just all around good defense or.
Speaker 3: With with Theonta Jackson.
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Was he somebody that you had kind of taken notice of his game in Pittsburgh and just.
Speaker 3: Offense? Absolutely?
Speaker 6: I see him in Pittsburgh. I couldn't stand him when he was in Pittsburgh. Yeah, but yeah, his game is His game is great, like I said before, great separation, great route runner. Uh he's a home run hitter guy.
Speaker 2: We saw him.
Speaker 3: We saw him come kind of ship their hands during the locker rooms.
Speaker 2: That the first time you guys have ever met?
Speaker 3: No nah nah nah?
Speaker 5: So he said he thinks with Deontae coming down, when teams try to play man cover there could look like seven on seven out there. I mean, how scary and can't it look for the guys for opposing defenses actually say, trying to stop this the weather weapons you got there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Man creating a lot of one on one matchups, got baits, great guy against one on one covers, Zay, great guy gets one on one covers? Uh, deontaey uh? Mark uh likely Nellie, Like we got all these great guys. So, like I've been saying, it's a picket person offense, I'm starting to tornado right here.
Speaker 3: What that what you done.
Speaker 2: Let's one more?
Speaker 4: One more?
Speaker 5: Oh what was it like to happen in back out?
Speaker 3: As to the guy?
Speaker 2: What you look like? You keep and dark out.
Speaker 5: Far see time.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's great to have him back out there. I told him earlier.
Speaker 6: He caught like a little small pass and he took off him like he starting to look like last year.
Speaker 3: Uh kidding.
Speaker 6: Uh So it's great to see him. Uh back in good sperience. Ye oh, this is a great spirit.
Speaker 3: But just to say, I want to feel with us, it's great to see right to say that you look the stinger at John Shock looks the same.
Speaker 5: What do you.
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 4: Thanks?
Speaker 3: Aving a lot to talk about.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast. The game on Sunday again is at one o'clock on CBS. We want to see you there and loud give us that great home field advantage to make sure you are in the house for that game. Thank you so much for listening. We'll be back with you again on Sunday after that matchup with the Broncos.