Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to the Bloomberg This Weekend Podcast with David Gura, Christina Raffini, and Elisa Matteo.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us for today's selection of conversations from the show.
Speaker 3: You can listen to our favorite discussions right here on the podcast, but also make sure to join us live every Saturday and Sunday morning, starting at seven am Eastern.
Speaker 2: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.
Speaker 4: This morning, Aron says the United States struck a desalination plant in the southern part of the country, leaving twenty villages without water. As Alexis mentioned, the intensification comes on the seventh night of attacks.
Speaker 5: Bridges and tunnels also targeted.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg White House correspondent Josh wein Grove is in New Jersey where the President is waking up this morning. Josh, where is the President's head on all this? What have you heard from White House officials? Is there a plan or is this the new normal for the foreseeable future?
Speaker 6: Well, they're keeping ambiguous. You know, there's some reporting that he's considering ramping up options axios, for instance, reporting that they've moved tankers air tankers back into the region to prepare for a potential escalation of bear strikes. So he seems to be keeping options on the table. But where we'll see that go, we don't know. As you know, we've always been on guard on weekends in particular, it seems like that's really when the American attacks seem to peek up. So you know, we'll see if we see something later today, it's too soon to say. I think, more broadly, as we've discussed before, the President sort of has been deemphasizing this in his remarks and kind of appears, frankly, you know, focus on other things right now. And we've seen this before of course with Ukraine as well. He's sort of got bored of talking about that and has has focused on other things. And so right now, we just continue to watching this day by day, and there's no kind of end in sight, and it's unclear when, if at all, talks may presume, or talks for talks may resume. We just start continuing to watch it bit by bit.
Speaker 7: I'm thinking about the talks.
Speaker 4: That's talking about the talks under the category of other things the President is watching or cares about. There is the run Darlene run matter, his embrace of Lindsay Graham's sister, now the interim senator from the state of South Carolina. The President and a post on truth social encouraging her to put her hat in the ring for the primary to get the seat permanently.
Speaker 5: What do you make of this?
Speaker 4: I confess I didn't know much about Lindsay Graham's sister before she was elevated to this position. But the President emphasizing his long relationship with her, his confidence in her. How is the President looking at her prospects and the importance of this race in particular.
Speaker 6: Josh President likes loyalty in senators, and in her speech when she became the senator, she talked about the importance of upholding his agenda. So if she's a trusted ally, perhaps not the surprise of the President, who is of course primaried or supported the primaries against a couple members of this current Senate conference, would value that. And so if he's with his endorsement, I think he is sort of taking a burden hand approach with taking backing her and his endorsements have, of course, been very influentially, if not decisive, across you know, basically every state over the course of this cycle. And I think that's important to remember it too, because you know, in other countries, maybe ones that are having trade tensions or whatnot, you're starting to see people talk look over the horizon, right, Oh, well, you know, Trump will be gone in two and a half years and weather the storm until then, and this and that, and maybe the Republican Party will shift. President Trump will continue to have a very very strong influence over the party, over its primaries, over the actions its leaders take, whether he's president or not, for quite some time. And so I think we're seeing that with this. And there's some reporting that other major candidates are now sort of considering or still considering, whether they will jump into the race, because running against the Trump endors candidate would be a significantly uphill battle.
Speaker 2: Josh, since you are our senior Canadian correspondent, I do want to go back.
Speaker 6: To sorry, sorry about them.
Speaker 7: Of course, of.
Speaker 5: Course you just did that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, are you you know, even though I'm still upset that David went to Aspen without me, he did talk to James and grew there talking about.
Speaker 7: The trade policies.
Speaker 2: In the last hour, we were talking about kind of the incrementalism of having to negotiate one on one with all these countries the way they're trying to do this next round of tariffs. And the President is now threatening new tariffs on Canada because of the wildfires. He posted Canada has refused to engage in basic forge management and debris removal. Sounds familiar to what he said with California last year, knowing that such refusal will lead to exactly this result. This is willful negligence that's capitalized and becoming a yearly occurrence cost the United States billions of dollars. Which cost of this pollution must of necessity be added to the tariffs Canada is currently paying.
Speaker 5: Does a complicated clause by the way, Yes.
Speaker 7: That's not easy to read.
Speaker 2: That's my second time, and I did no better this second time.
Speaker 7: Josh, what is going on here?
Speaker 2: Does the President really need another foreign policy fight, especially one that could impact how much Americans pay for things, including cars and other items that come across the border.
Speaker 6: I mean the notion of Canada, you know, vacuuming the floor of its boreal forest or whatever. I mean obviously, like that's always that much you can do to take this seriously though, I mean a Canadian national died sighting a forest fire this month in Colorado. Is long standing cooperation between these two countries. In the those infamous California fires, it was Canadian water bombers. You saw some of the stuff. Trump says, it sort of goes off the back of Canada and Canadians other stuff they find particularly insulting. And I think this risks being in that second bucket because the country has been so much time helping America fight its forest fires that you know, the notion that this is sort of like their fault. No one wants to smoke over it. It's over Canada too, of course, is I think going to prompt and blowback. Frankly is already prompting blowback from Canadian officials. And so whether we see this factor into these negotiations or whatever is unclear. Just to remember where we are on this, much most of the trade between Canada and US right now is terror free because it's exempted under KUSMA, or as the Canadians call it in USMC after the Americans call it. And so Trump could adjust that exemption. That's a big fear of industries in the US and in Canada. He could raise the baseline tariff through these three oh one investigations, one of which is done, one of which is still in the hopper, or you could try to adjust the sectoral tariffs to crank up tariffs on autos or steel, which are the two ones that are biting the Canadian economy in particular. So he does have avenues here if he wants. But it's also true that Canada has one of the lowest effective terraf rates in the world right now when it comes to accessing the US market, and so if the price of that is looking the other way when the President gives upset every now and then, maybe that's.
Speaker 5: What the Cheenians are going to do. Kusma kusma is what they call it. Did use usmc A, I.
Speaker 6: Bet I bet he did. Yeah, I'm mad you did. But you made a lot of news in that interview, complicated my evenings.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry for that.
Speaker 7: We're all mad at him.
Speaker 2: Well, well, these Canadians and Americans are getting along well, and all right, our bitterness about your ospin trip.
Speaker 4: Thanks grow At the beginning of cool duty in New Jersey, Thank you very much for the time.
Speaker 2: All right, the announcement of a powerful new AI model from Chinese startup Moonshot Royal Markets.
Speaker 4: On Friday, Textok specifically semiconductors finished lower over concerns at the US maybe losing ground in the global AI race.
Speaker 2: Earlier today, we spoke with Bloomberg's Mike Shephard and mindm in Low about China's push to become the new AI leader.
Speaker 8: It's definitely an important priority for the Chinese government. In fact, they are grooming this entire AI sector as the next big export engine for China as the country transitions away from older industries like property, which is really in a big slum for several years now. So they're pouring a lot of investments to provide the patient capital to groom all these startups in this sector. And it's all part of the five year plan that China had laid out early this year, right in March at the two sessions. They have an AI plus plan where they want to encourage adoption of AI across all sectors of the economy over the next decade or so. And just to give you a sense of how important AI is, this World AI Conference in Shanghai is in the ninth edition. And I remember in the early years not many journalists would even bother attending, but now it's a completely different story. Even President c himself came to Town to graze the event personally, and this really represents an upgrade to the status of this event which in previous in the last two years, it was attended by Premier Lee Lee Town, who is the number two leader in China, and Presidency gave this big speech this year. A lot of it was of course also a veiled message to the US as well, because he talked about how when it comes to AI governance, the world needs to take a multi electoral approach. The world needs to learn from one another, and AI development shouldn't be a solo development of one country. And all over Chinese state media, you look at the Communist Party mouthpiece People's Daily, they have been publishing editorials about how tech and AI should not become a monopoly, it should really be treated as a global public good that is shared with the rest of the world. So again Presidency positioning himself as this leader of the global South, advocating for bridging the digital divide. So he announced a few key initiatives including offering at least five thousand training opportunities in AI for people in the developed countries and allowing them some thirty countries to tap into this AI powered meteorological system to safeguard their homes for example. So really, and also yes, a couple of days ago there were some twenty nine was signed up to be part of this China led group called the Wollai Cooperation Organization, and it's just yet another platform that could give China more sway in shaping global AI norms.
Speaker 7: Mike, how does this impact American companies?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously they're already down the road with a lot of these investments. Is there they can't claw them back at this point, but they have to be looking at this and being very concerned.
Speaker 7: Is there a way for them to pivot?
Speaker 2: And then you also have the Trump administration starting to talk about having a new regulatory agency specifically for AA. Does that compound the difficulties American AI companies could now face.
Speaker 9: Well, take the second part first, there, Christina, because it's the latest and there was a scoop from last night from our team here in DC, and the companies actually would welcome some sort of a coherent approach to AI safety reviews, and at issue is, you know, they did not like the way that Anthropics fable five and with those five were essentially ordered off THET via export controls over concerns that the guardrails on.
Speaker 5: Them weren't adequate.
Speaker 9: And we saw the same sort of pressure put on Open AI. But the companies had felt that it was overboard and also kind of ad hoc in the approach, and they would like to see a more coherent framework. And what's taking shape is a Finroom like model, one that would resemble what the broker dealer industry on Wall Street face is that it's an industry funded and not industry run, but industry certainly has a lot of input to how the rules of the road are set, and in this case it would be the safety testing, and that.
Speaker 10: Would give them a little bit more of, I guess, a clear path forward when it comes to dealing with the government, how far they can take their models as they develop them. More broadly, though, the question of how companies are reading this moment, look, many of them are playing the long game, and all this week we heard from TSMC they were reporting, look, we are seeing demand for AI chips and ar hardware going through twenty thirty, it is going to be hard to meet. And that is a message that was echoed by sk Heinez during Ed Ludlow's interview with the CEO just last just a little more than a week ago, as they were making their public market debut here in the US. And then it's a message that's been reinforced by Nvidia Chief executive Officer Jensen Wong. They just see the demand from hyperscalers here in the US and even elsewhere as being off the charts. And Vidia also caught a bit of a break, and some of the other American companies caught a break too with the declassification of the United Arab Emirates, which is trying to establish itself as a real center of development for AI and they see that as a new market that they can break into and try to export the American tech stack. But really, do you see this contrasted vision so Xhijinping laying out something that is very multilateral and President Donald Trump arguing one that is very much America first, and it really doesn't have all the pieces together in the same way that you do see China putting on the table.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: I'm just looking at that sell off you saw in video.
Speaker 4: Lose a lot of ground yesterday and Apple gaining a lot of ground. These two companies with huge market caps really vying for top spot there in the middle of are Yeah. Goodh Rning's coming up here, So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 5: Here in the weeks ahead.
Speaker 3: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend. Right after this, all right, A.
Speaker 2: Russia sanctions bill to honor the late Senator Lindsay Graham now has eighty four co sponsors. It was one of Graham's last efforts to find a compromise aimed at trying to help end the war in Ukraine, imposing more tariffs on injuries that buy Russian oil and gas, and widening those mandatory sanctions.
Speaker 5: President Trump appears to be on board with that legislation.
Speaker 2: Seriously, this is in honor of Lindsey.
Speaker 8: This was his thing.
Speaker 1: He wanted this more than any other thing, you know, you know how he fell, And there's a good chance that he gets done.
Speaker 4: I talked about this with US Trade Representative Jameison Greer at the ASK and Security Forum earlier this week.
Speaker 11: There are a lot of elements to this bill. There's a teriff element, there's a sanctions element, all of which are designed to give the President discretion to deploy pressure on Russia and those who are supporting Russia. So we've worked very constructively with the Senate on this. There are a lot of good things to be said about it. I just spoke with the President about it as well, so I think there's an openness there. I think we'll see within the next couple of days, you know, final views from the President on whether he wants to be supportive. I think that we have it in a pretty good place. I think it's meaningful that this is something that Senator Graham and I and Senator Blumenthal and others were working on up until his last days, and that's meaningful as well.
Speaker 4: It would give the present the latitude to impose tariff of up to one hundred percent, as I understand it, on the largest imports of Russian oil. Any indication from him if he's prepared to do that, should this be pasted.
Speaker 11: Well, I mean, I think you know, when I talk to the President about this kind of issue, he wants to be careful about the way he deploys this kind of leverage. Geopolitics are very fragile, and this is something whether it's a terrif action or sanctions action or anything, it's something that the present thinks about very carefully. He certainly talks to me, He talks to Secretary Best and Secretary Rubio, Secretary Lonik, he talks to everybody. He talks to people outside the government wants to He wants to hit the right spot of putting pressure on countries and putting pressure on Russia without creating more conflict or reducing the likelihood of a peace deal.
Speaker 4: The Section one twenty two tariff's set to expire in just a couple of days, really few days from now July twenty fourth, all but certain that the three one tariffs will in effect after that, or we looking at perhaps a lapse kind of in coverage.
Speaker 11: Is the Section three oh one investigations I'm doing, where we've proposed some tariffs, they're on their own track. We're moving quickly, deliberately because we want to resolve the unfair trading practices that we're targeting with these investigations. So we're going to do them as soon as we can to get at these practices. You know, whether they're you know day before, a day of day after. That's less important to us than making sure we're addressing these unfair trading practices and getting the leverage in place we need to resolve.
Speaker 4: Do you have a timetable for one, you're going to bring that report to the President when you might see them enacted?
Speaker 11: Well, well, we have a couple right, So we have a section three oh one on forced labor, targeting countries who don't ban the import of forced labor goods. We do in America, other countries don't. Some have a law, but they don't necessarily enforce it. So we already have our report out on that, and so we can take action I think fairly quickly on that within the next few weeks. We have another investigations targeting a more compact group of countries on structural xcess capacity. These are countries who have a typically have a big trade deficit with the world, or a big sorry big tree surplus with the world, or a big trade surplus with US. Or even if they don't, they may have practices that generate factories or production that are totally out of whack with global demand. So this is a quite intense project. I have dozens and dozens of attorneys and policy makers working on this to really examine all of these practices. So it takes a little longer time than doing this forced labor one, which is a little bit of a binary where you're looking at what do they have in place and are they enforcing it? This is more complex.
Speaker 4: Does that explain the delay entirely or how long it's taking or there's been reports that maybe China, that China issue is complicating it more than it is with the others.
Speaker 11: No, No, I don't think that's the case at all, right, I mean, China is included in this structural Excess Capacity Section three oh one. The reality is it's a more complex investigation and we have to make sure that we are hitting our milestones. We've received a lot of comments from the public. We have to analyze those, we have to incorporate them into any responsive action we might take. So we're trying to make sure that we're we're actually living up to the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. We want to make sure that we're targeting these these unfair trading practices that have led to frankly offshoring in the US and an inability to build new factories at times when you have other countries that are building factories or they're depressing demand in their own country. This is not how market economics are supposed to work. And it creates a situation where there's not enough incentive to build a new factory in America or to employ American workers because we have overcapacity elsewhere. So we want to make sure that that capacity is restrained, restricted, or that we mitigate it somehow in our own economy so we can have market incentives to build here and to make here.
Speaker 4: I want to ask you about rare earth's and I wonder how you would assess China's performance when it comes to rare earths And as we get close through October, do you anticipate that agreement will be renewed in due course?
Speaker 11: So China's compliance with the rare earth elements of our agreements, it's not perfect. I think everyone knows that. You can read that in the paper that being said, we are getting a flow of rare earth. We don't have factories shutting down because they don't have it. But again, we really want to be in a position where we were, you know, in twenty twenty four and twenty twenty three in President Trump's first term, where we had a regular flow of rare earths. We also know that the Chinese they use rare earth for economic coercion. They did it in twenty ten and twenty eleven, they're doing it now, so it's not necessarily surprising. But we're continuing to, you know, to have some flow and where we have gaps, where we have problems the sector of the treasury and I you know, we work with our counterpart in China to try to loosen that flow up. Sometimes we're more successful than others. One important thing is we're moving forward in the US on rare earth production. One of the things I'm doing on my trip out west here, I'm going to Utah to visit a facility where we've already they've discovered rare earths in the Utah Desert and they're refining them and further manufacturing them at a facility in Utah, which is a great development for US national and economic security.
Speaker 4: You've got rare earths, there's huge from receutical dependence as well, and I wonder how you're thinking about that, the way that you can kind of curb our reliance on Chinese pharmaceuticals and ingredients.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we think about this a lot. This is this is really critical because at the end of the day, if somehow you lose access to Chinese inputs, it can be a huge challenge for our own manufacturing base. And some people will say, well, what about India, Fine, but a lot of the inputs that India uses also come from China. One great thing that we're seeing as we try to encourage companies to reshore is we actually have commitments from seventeen pharmaceutical companies, most the largest and the most major pharmaceutical companies, not only to lower prices of medication here in the US, pharmaceutical prices have gone down by two point five percent, but they've also agreed to reshore here and to manufacture here. And so we have companies like Eli Lilly and Novardes and others actually pouring concrete and superstructures going up in new facilities in North Carolina and Indiana and southern California. So this actually, for me, has been a really bright spot of our efforts to reshort critical production in America.
Speaker 4: In the trade reps, glossary transhipments is a word. Yes, I'm wondering how you are thinking about monitoring and blocking transhipment when it comes to China.
Speaker 11: So it is a gloss it is a word in our glossary, but it can mean different things.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 11: There's kind of like your pure illegal transhipment where something's made in China, they send it to Vietnam and they put a made in Vietnam sticker and send it over. It's just illegal, right, And that's on Customs and Border Protection to enforce that right, to do investigations, to identify areas of fraud and go after it. And we're doing that. A day or two ago we had a big announcement with DOJ teaming up with CPP. They've already found a billion dollars in customs fraud and some of that is transhipment. And then you have another issue where you have, you know country it's often Asian inputs, China, Vietnam. They go to a third country, maybe Mexico, and they do just enough work where they can legally say this is actually from Mexico, So maybe we should get a better terror fright than if it were from China. That's an issue, and that's a problem with Mexico right now. For example, and some of more discussions. We're talking about rules of origin and saying, if you want to get a better deal bringing something in from Mexico or name your country, you have to make sure it's actually has US content. You have to make sure it actually has Mexican content or whatever it is, and you have to have that as high as possible to protect against this other type of transhipment, which is a little more difficult to detect.
Speaker 4: There's a long way to go until this meeting in September when the Chinese president comes to the United States. But let me ask you lastly sort of how you're thinking about that. You were so integral to the conversations that took place in Beijing. What are you expecting deliverables wise to come out of that meeting in Washington in a couple months.
Speaker 11: Well, the number one deliverable we always have between President Trump and President she is to continue the stability of the relationship. Both of these leaders are very committed to having a strong and solid personal relationship. Now that doesn't mean we don't have issues in the broader relationship. Obviously we do. China is a big challenge for the US in a lot of ways, but we want to make sure we're delivering stability. There's never been a situation where the US side or even the Chinese side, has gone out and said everyone should expect a comprehensive agreement that resolves all issues. Like no one's ever promised that, so that's not what we expect. We will have an opportunity to take stock of Chinese commitments with respective purchases of soybeans and.
Speaker 7: Other agricultural products.
Speaker 11: Will take stock on the rare of issues we decided, so I think it'll be a moment for stock taking, you know, confirming the relationship, making sure that China is complying with what it's agreed to do. That's really what we're looking forward to.
Speaker 6: In this meeting.
Speaker 7: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 4: Right after this, later today in Miami, England, we'll take on France in the World Cup bronze medal match, but throughout the tournament, the president of FIFA's ron scrutiny for his relationship with Preston Trump and potential rule bending for Team USA.
Speaker 2: We spoke with sports calmist Jonathan Wilson, the author of The Power and the Glory and New History of the World cup about Johnny Infantino's legacy and his impact on FIFA.
Speaker 12: Febry twenty sixteen, he takes over and he says, right, we're going to clean everything up. He ostentatiously flies on a budget carrier to his first fef for Congress. You'll have noted that to change.
Speaker 5: To the product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that did last long, but.
Speaker 12: And he said, look, we've got far too many committees. We need to clear these out. It's massively inefficient. Then in twenty twenty four, a vote was taken to increase the number of standing committee's FIFA from seven to thirty five. Now, the reason this is significant is that if you are one of if you're a delegate representing one of the two hundred and eleven FIFA members you have, you will be appointed to various committees. Each committee brings with it a stipend and very generous twenty yes, and that's where the money goes. And of course if you're the delegate from Country X, this doesn't matter of people in Country X think oh, your thiefus is just great Infantino's and idiots, oh we've got to get rid of him. The ticket prices are too high. He just thinks I'm getting this lovely bunch of money, and why am I going to vot against president who brings up to me?
Speaker 7: This is very strategic explaining this committee.
Speaker 12: It's basic clentleism. I mean the other thing that the money does, and this is slightly more complex. There are two schemes, the Goal Project, which is introduced by Blatter in nineteen ninety eight, and the Forward Project, which is Infantino's great plan. And this redistributes money from FIFA two federvations. So for instance, say you're I don't know the FA of Gabon and you say, look we need a new national stadium and Dame is falling down. I actually be covering these Asidames quite nice, but just for sake of argument, Gabon and if you've got okay, we get you can't afford that, but it'd be useful if you had a nice new stadium. You can generate revenue through that. And so we'll give some of these great profits from from the World Cup. And the World Cup is by far.
Speaker 2: The biggest level of playing field kind of literally some places. But that seems like a nice mission.
Speaker 12: But of course none of these are properly audited, so there hasn't been a review since twenty sixteen, which is probably itself significant, But the review in twenty sixteen said eighty one percent of those two and eleven member nations are not properly audited, So so that money is going well, who knows, but I think we can guess.
Speaker 2: On that note, there's also in fifteen that has been catching a lot of flak for this thing that happened with the US player revoking the red card after.
Speaker 12: Well technically he didn't revoke the red card, he suspended the suspension, so the suspension was suspended for a year, exactly the same as he's done with Cristiano Ronaldo, who was sent off from the nultimate qualifier, so he was giving a three game ban for that he served one game in the final two games was suspended also three other players, basically to make it obvious, I don't know, to make it less obvious that Menaldo was getting dispensation because they want Manaldo at the World Cup. And I think you can say this follows from a situation with the Club World Cup last year where I don't know if you remember, but essentially two Mexican teams who qualified had the same owner. You can't have that one of them had to step down.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Okay, so it should.
Speaker 12: Have meant the MLS champions got in, but instead it went to into Miami because that gets you messy in because they finished top of the regular season.
Speaker 2: It does seem to be a little waiting towards these more popular players.
Speaker 12: Is jerrymandering to get the most famous people involved. Now you might say the tennis tournament's golf tournaments do this kind of thing all the time with wild cards. Let's get somebody famous, somebody popular. It drives revenue. Where's the problem. Well, the problem is it's one thing to do it if your tournament has one hundred and twenty eight parties.
Speaker 7: Right, and there's a slot specifically for those Shenanigans.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, it's it's quite another when there was a qualification process or if you're overriding a disciplinary process. So with Bunigan, that the fact that he could play against Belgium. He is the first player since Gavincia in nineteen sixty two to be sent off at the World Cup and not be suspended for the next game. And the reason that's so damaging it's not just that it sort of it feels unfair. It's that it casts into doubt the integrity of the entire petition. So if you are, for instance, Egypt, who are very uhappy with some of the refereeing in Argentina, and I think you can understand a couple of fifty fifty calls, key, fifty fifty calls went against them, and then I think we'll hang on. Is that just because we were a bit unlucky, or is that because there is someone directed from on high that Lionel Messius's famous because he generates revenue has to be kept in the tournament.
Speaker 2: This decision with the red card is quite controversial. You don't think that'll hurt him in the elections? Do you think he has enough committees and other friends that he will he will get to stay.
Speaker 12: There's already two hundred and two and eleven members have said they're back in, so it will be by acclamation. So I mean, I think it has damaged him, And I think there's there's two aspects of this world couple damaged him. So so firstly that I mean, I think they probably are good delegates who recognize this as a problem of integrity. There may even be quite cynical delegates who think, actually, if the integrity of the competitions undermined, is it going to carry on general revenies?
Speaker 1: It does?
Speaker 5: Is the world right?
Speaker 7: At some point?
Speaker 12: If the world loses faith, then you know, sport doesn't work without faivor but dramatic twists at the end. If you think that might have been scripted, well, then you're watching pay.
Speaker 2: Absurd ticket price, not real. So we had that sport here it's called wrestling. Yeah, totally different audience.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So that's one element of the other is I think to do with Infantina has made this big point of this is the most inclusive World Cup ever, which I'm afraid is clearly nonsense when even one of his own referees and our time from Somalia can't get into the country. Plus I mean, I think it depends on the individual country, but roughly eighty percent of applicants, applications by fans and journalists from Africa to come to the tournament were turned down by the US and by Canada. That is my definition not inclusive. And given in Pantino likes to portray himself as his champion of the global South, that is a position that's much harder to maintain. So I don't think it's going to have an immediate impact, but it has slightly weakened him. What it might mean is if you were planning to change Figus Constitution to understand again in twenty twenty seven, maybe he'll be a little more overlooked in to do lost time.
Speaker 7: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend right after.
Speaker 2: This, Welcome back to Bloomberg this weekend or b T dubs. I'm Christiner Finney with David Gera. Alexis is going to run us through some of the stories you might have mixed this week Now, Alexis, there is an ongoing debate on this show.
Speaker 7: I say BT.
Speaker 5: Dubs, I see BTW. What do you think I have to go? BT wh Welcome back anytime, Alexi.
Speaker 7: Okay, we agree to disagree.
Speaker 5: Why you go?
Speaker 7: It's okay.
Speaker 13: There's a little movie out this weekend.
Speaker 2: In case you yes, I accidentally stumbled on the premieres. I was going to a workout.
Speaker 5: The other day.
Speaker 2: They closed down all of Broadway, all of Lincoln Square, the whole thing was shut down for.
Speaker 13: 's Live in New York City Girl, two hundred and fifty million dollar budget. It's an epic to watch. It almost three hours long, so get your popcorn and get ready. The only movie ever short shot completely on Imax, and there's a lot, a lot of talk about it. It's doing pretty well here on Rotten Tomatoes. Already was out yesterday and the critics seem to like it. But people cannot stop talking about the fact that these actors, Matt Damon and Hathaway, Charlie's There on, you name it, are all having American accents in British accents, which we're used to for these big epicid Yes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but that's not any more accurate. I do think it's weird.
Speaker 2: Like British TV a lot of times they'll have them playing Russians but they just have like a British accent, or they'll like me in France, but they just have a British accent. And somebody pointed out to me it's not even more accurate if they do a Russian accent. They're not speaking Russian. But for my brain, I want to hear the acts.
Speaker 13: If you want to be accurate, you'd speak ancient Greek. Yes, so you know what English is fine, but it's pretty funny. Tom Holland and Robert Pattinson, who are both in it, who are both British, have to put on American accent. Interesting and then calling you know, Odysseus my dad like American colloquialism.
Speaker 5: It is funny, father. Have you seen this yet?
Speaker 7: I haven't. I will go see.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you will. I've been very excited about it. You would to get a classicist on here and like do a deep dive.
Speaker 13: You're on, I have to go to see here. Matt Damon use his Boston ACX and he leans in on it on the dramatic scene. So we're going to be But Chris Nolan, who's the director, said it was a very intentional decision to have the actors speak in English and not have sort of a Stagy approach.
Speaker 4: And he is like the biggest proponent of these Imax movies. I mean he he loves an Imax film and I do like his movies generally.
Speaker 2: And they figured out a way, as we've talked about, to do the dialogue on Imax, which you usually don't usually shoot the big scenes on it, and it can only roll for I think seven.
Speaker 5: Minutes at a time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Really arduous and I appreciate trying to do a school filmmaking in a world.
Speaker 13: Of digital cinematic feat And I'll report back on the accident horror turn and move to the Wall Street Journal. Wealthy older Americans, they are ripping up the traditional script and instead of down sizing, Oh, they are moving up big time. They are buying bigger homes, or they are adding additions to the homes. They are adding guesthouses for them kids, exactly, basically, and so empty nest boomers now own more than twenty eight percent of US homes with three or more bedrooms, which ding, ding, ding, one of the reasons why first time home buyers are having such a hard time getting into the market.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, it is a good point.
Speaker 2: I will rent until I die. I've missed my vote. Yeah, I just there's no well, especially in New York, but even in DC. To your point, getting into the market was just getting harder and hard. That's every Yeah, that's so many people struggle. So just quick stats for you.
Speaker 13: They account Older Americans now account for forty two percent of the home buyers, the largest share of any generation. Why you ask, well, they bought their homes and their stocks decades ago, and those assets have appreciated. Yeah, sounds pretty nice if you can get pretty nice.
Speaker 7: Indeed, there to dream, there to dream birding?
Speaker 5: Do you look at the birds go by?
Speaker 2: Okay, speaking of older Americans, what happens to people when they hit a certain age?
Speaker 7: Both my parents have gotten into this.
Speaker 5: Young people, well, guess what.
Speaker 13: Birding is not just for your parents, It's not for your grandparents anymore. Oh no, No, birding has gone cool, so now the cool kids are doing it, becoming more popular among younger people in their twenties and thirties. Some of them were saying, hey, look, we're taking our binoculars with us on vacation because we want to go birding. They say the shift really started during the pandemic, when we were all stuck at home solitary activity. They were like, hey, wow, look at the birds. You sort of the equivalent of, you know, take a moment and smell the flowers. Huh, that's what we're doing. Where our birds? And also, the National Audubon Society had ten college chapters in twenty nineteen. You know how many they have today? No, one hundred and seventeen.
Speaker 7: That's hysterical, it's crazy. And Sam are you a birder in college.
Speaker 5: You can have a family of birders.
Speaker 9: You do.
Speaker 5: My sister's a professional ornithologist.
Speaker 6: Oh my what?
Speaker 4: And when my mom came to town shipping binoculars, who went to the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Reserved and looked for a bunch of preserve and looked for a bunch of birds living.
Speaker 5: I'm living it. But my sister studies the great raywel all right, well we.
Speaker 2: Have the show.
Speaker 7: I already like her better than.
Speaker 5: Exception, super impressed, super impressed with that.
Speaker 7: This is lovely and wholesome. I support this dren feel hearted.
Speaker 13: Let's do south by Southwest even has a whole like bird watching thing. So it's been I mean, it's happening amongst the young folks. All right, Finally a habit that's actually good for us. A new study found that people who drink coffee on a daily basis, both caffeated and decaffeinated, have a lower likelihood of developing liver ailments compared to non coffee drinkers.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna live forever, but this stat kind of scared me.
Speaker 13: Scientists at Cedars Sinai Health University found drinking five or more cups of coffee a day with a forty seven percent lower risk of developing liver cancer.
Speaker 4: Oh fine, wow, cos I drink a lot of coffee, mostly just out of habit like we walk by the machine and all pick them up.
Speaker 5: But I'm a real well.
Speaker 13: Because it's so at the ready here for us. Why why is this, though you might ask acquiring want to note due to chemical compounds and coffee that reduce inflammation, chlorogenic.
Speaker 5: Acid, chlorogenic acid.
Speaker 13: So I say, here's the chlorogenic having a tea today.
Speaker 5: But still there's.
Speaker 13: Oh I'm the only one with the fancy mug right now.
Speaker 2: But we put our water and people are wondering about the proliferation of cups.
Speaker 7: For our TV viewers, we have to have multi liquid.
Speaker 13: You have to stay hydrated.
Speaker 4: I do feel like there's always a study that says something's good about coffee or bad about coffee.
Speaker 2: And just like with wine, yes, why I only believe the studies that say wine and coffee are good to be clear and chocolate too, wine coffee.
Speaker 5: You're doing studies exactly.
Speaker 7: I like, I like to not fact check that at all.
Speaker 5: No need to Alexiri Stoppers, thank you very much, my pleasure debut here time.
Speaker 2: Doing bt W.
Speaker 7: We got new info out of David. We didn't know this well done profile.
Speaker 5: Will Okay got it on the show talk about birds. Seriously.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on today's Bloomberg This Weekend podcast. Don't forget to tune in live for the show every Saturday and Sunday morning, starting at seven am Eastern.
Speaker 3: We're on Bloomberg Television Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.