Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe, Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jette and now he Armstrong and Getty Strong and the Independence Day. It's the fourth of July and it's the Armstrong and.
Speaker 3: Getty replay featuring bits and pieces of our podcast, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: One more thing, don't miss a single moment.
Speaker 4: Get every episode on the iHeart app and wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so rare copies of both the Emancipation Proclamation and the Thirteenth Amendment are going to be auctioned off in Softab's upcoming Books and Manuscriptscripts sale in New York City.
Speaker 2: How many times I've been in these stores.
Speaker 4: They're usually in Vegas, one of your frontsy casinos or were they where they sell memorabilia, whether it's sports memorabilia, music, or you know, politics or whatever, and they have a really it's usually a cool picture and a really fancy frame, and then what you're paying for is the little signature.
Speaker 2: On something, a letter or whatever.
Speaker 4: But I've come close to buying them many times, but I never had. I never have, mostly because I don't have the slightest idea if the price.
Speaker 2: Is raised more nuts.
Speaker 3: Well, they almost got me once or twice. Two authorities believe alcohol was involved, but they didn't.
Speaker 2: And and it's.
Speaker 3: Usually for the same reason. I end up thinking, all right, what would I do with this? Who would I show it?
Speaker 2: To? Stick it under your pillow, sleep with your head on it every night?
Speaker 3: Well, and how much you know, like after a year, how much joy would it bring me to have?
Speaker 2: Is it's just an investment? I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: I would I never looked at it as an investment. It's always the coolness of it. But how would it continue to be coo if I had? Okay, I got a signed copy of the Gettysburg Address by Brad Lincoln.
Speaker 2: That's a good one that I would get.
Speaker 4: I enjoy looking at that every day, hanging on my wall forever, or at some point is the phone worn off?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: My friends and acquaintances are history freaks enough that that would be really cool. But then, because I try not to be the slave to my more base urges, I find myself thinking, okay, so I'd be getting it to make myself look cool, And is that really a healthy use of time?
Speaker 2: Money, and you know that's one.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure that's so I always end up in the same place, although I will tell you have.
Speaker 2: So much an extent with some stuff.
Speaker 4: It's just one degree removed from just showing somebody your bank statement. This is not much money I have in my account. I mean, because the point is this was expensive and I haven't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, partly. Yeah, you're not wrong.
Speaker 3: I've mentioned several times that the one thing I've lusted after for years and have really gone back and forth on spending the money for is a first edition of Dickens A Christmas Carol. And because they're available and they're not so prohibitively expensive as to be insane, it's not like buying a copy of would you say the Gettysburg Address would be. But my beloved daughter Delaney, when she was in England, she went to the Dickens Museum and got me a reproduction of the first edition of A Christmas Carol with all the original art and stuff like that was absolutely lovely gift and very cool. When I read A Christmas Carol this Christmas time, as I do every single year, I will be reading it from that edition, which I'm excited about.
Speaker 4: But anyway, so you got rare copies of both the crestation thing, right, So is that is that the one where righting the title, Yes, that's the one where the burglars break into the house and the kids parents had gone on vacation. Yes, that's exactly and they said, up the kid sets up various booby traps. And I've never actually read to the end, but yeah, that's my understanding of it.
Speaker 2: Sorry, too funny not to go along with. So anyway, you.
Speaker 3: Got the the EP and the thirteenth Amendment on sale in June twenty six. The eighteen sixty three Probably Proclamation, was originally signed by Lincoln, issued during the Civil War, declared all enslaved people in Confederate States would be free. The copy, which was signed a year later, is estimating to sell for at least three million dollars. The handwritten Amendment he signed on vellum in eighteen sixty five, ending slavery nationwide, is expected to sell for at least eight million dollars price that would triple its auction.
Speaker 2: Record, and the two single sheet.
Speaker 3: Papers represent the priceiest examples of each document to enter the marketplace and should serve as a major test of collectors appetites for historic American artifacts, and they actually get into the market for this sort of thing, which I found interesting.
Speaker 2: The overall art market.
Speaker 3: Is in a slump, but this category has enjoyed an influx of gen X and millennial bidders ever since. A copy of the Constitution sold a billionaire Ken Griffin for forty three point two million dollars in twenty twenty one. Griffin famously outbit a consortium of cryptocurrency investors to win it.
Speaker 4: I have no idea how many original copies of the Constitution there are, or there's six or sixty, Probably closer to six than sixty because you had to handle the hole.
Speaker 3: They were originally like thirty two assumeing if these numbers are wrong and they're far fewer left now Katie, there.
Speaker 5: Are only thirteen known surviving original copies.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, Yeah, So aficionados are also getting more enthusiastic as we approached our two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. But Lincoln is super super hot within the pantheon of historic signatures. Demand has fallen off off in the past decade for President Thomas Jefferson and Robert E. Lee, for instance, and remained steady for George Washington and Ben Franklin.
Speaker 2: Something from doctor Franklin would be very very cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can't be a guy who's got to sign Robert a lease something hanging on your wall anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, not north of Kentucky anyway.
Speaker 3: Lincoln has proved to be the most coveted name in the American rare documents arena Lincoln reigns, Supreme.
Speaker 2: Said this authority from Sothabes.
Speaker 3: The record so far for any Lincoln related document is a three point eight million dollar copy of the Emancipation Proclamation sold to an anonymous guy in twenty ten. That, oh man, it stood out in part because it also belonged to Robert F. Kennedy Senior, who bought it in early nineteen sixty four for ninety five hundred bucks when he was an Attorney general. Oh wow, now three point eight million.
Speaker 4: Don't you have a guitar pick from somebody famous or something? Keith Richards guitar pick?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also have Jimmy Page's cigarette, but which I actually grabbed off the front.
Speaker 2: Of the stage.
Speaker 4: And where do you keep these artifacts? You're in your pocket right now?
Speaker 3: This pocket? Well right, they're in a little box in my music room in my house.
Speaker 4: How often do you show them to people? This gets to our earlier discussion, how often do you open them up?
Speaker 2: And look at him? Look at that guitar pick. I'll be damned, it's opener.
Speaker 3: I think I've shown the guitar pick once or twice the guitar players in the I forgot I had the Jimmy Page cigarette button until we just talked about it now. So it's been twenty years since I've shown it to anybody.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're not getting not much enjoyment out of it, I'm really not.
Speaker 3: Of course, Let's keep in mind what I paid for both of them, nothing and nothing true. Uh so interesting. Well, here's some more interesting stuff. The upcoming version of the proclamation has a storied history of its own. This copy. Lincoln was already embroiled in the Civil War when he signed the original Freeing and sleigh People on jan one, eighteen sixty three. Great quote from Lincoln at the time quote, I never in my life felt more certain that I was doing right than I do in signing this paper. Lincoln and Secretary of State William Sword later carved up and mortally wounded by the assassin team that killed Lincoln later signed an additional forty eight folio broadsides that were sold for ten dollars apiece to raise funds for the US Sanitary Commission, a private release relief agency that helped wounded Union soldiers and their families. So they signed forty eight more of them and sold them for ten bucks apiece. Lincoln's original handwritten written manuscript of the proclamation was lost in the eighteen seventy one Chicago fire. Oh wow, so the printed copies have become very, very coveted. Only twenty seven are known to survive, eighteen to which are now tucked away in institutions, and nine are on the loose. They're privately owned and occasionally come up for sale. If you're really famous, so many of your things could be worth something if they could be documented. I'm surprised that. I mean, everything Lincoln had or touched it could be worth quite a bit of money. His socks, his pants, his hat, Yeah, his chair, it is just everything. Well and famously, back in the day, people would write letters to Lincoln or Washington or whomever and ask for a lock of their hair, and they would and they would accommodate people if they wrote a nice letter, they would send them a lock of their hair.
Speaker 2: It was really common.
Speaker 3: And so once in a great while you'll see what is allegedly Lincoln's hair come up frogs. And I remember I was talking about that a few years ago that I really wanted to buy some Lincoln's hair.
Speaker 6: Oh geez, And what.
Speaker 2: Would you like? Tape it to your head and warning around.
Speaker 3: Or showing it to friends together with Jimmy Page's cigarette, but both of which would have to be DNA tested for authenticity. Although I'm telling you, yeah, I saw Jimmy smoke the thing, throw down the cigarette butts, and I just grabbed one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The prominence in all of these things is difficult. Although that means word it came from actually and being able to document it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But if but if you believe it it's true, right, doesn't even make any difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 3: I get all hot to trot thinking about this stuff, like something really cool from Ben Franklin. Then I always come back to where we started this discussion. All right, what would I do with it?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: It's partly an expression of my admiration and love for Abraham Lincoln, for instance, I would do that, but then okay, then, but what good is it to me unless I tell people, and then it's a showing off thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm conflicted. I'm very conflicted. I would wear Lincoln socks every day if I had them.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're probably in wearing shape at this point. I remember the old squares of the bloody pillow case, right, if I remember correctly.
Speaker 2: At one point there is some info about that.
Speaker 4: I was just at Ford's Theater not that long ago, oh right, with my kids, and there was some info in there. Actually the house across the street, which I don't think i'd ever been in before, the house across the street where he actually.
Speaker 3: Died, Yeah, it was. It's Katie. It is a very small room. It's like under the level of the street. What do you call that with like there's a skylighting window, as I recall, But it was very dismal and small and terrible and just kind of adds to the feeling of what a miserable waste.
Speaker 2: The assassination of Lincoln was. Wow.
Speaker 4: Well in the weird stuff on that thing like that, you know, a murder like a week later, it's pretty weird. And disgusting to be in the room where somebody was killed or died. But you wait long enough and it's you know, everybody's just chattering and taking pictures and talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, has there been I'm sure there.
Speaker 3: I have been multiple great books written about the amount of human suffering that was caused by the assassination Lincoln because he couldn't oversee the early days of reconstruction established his policies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would read that while I was wearing Lincoln socks. That's what I would do if I had them.
Speaker 3: You know, is there John Wilkes Booth memorabilia? No, probably not. That wouldn't be cool. I would pee on it every day or something, some expression of hatred. That's how I would be normal on it. I'd tape on Lincoln's hair onto my head and take my vengeance every day.
Speaker 2: You can get John Lincoln air for me, can't he?
Speaker 6: No John Wilkes booth.
Speaker 2: You can get his hair. What's I go for? Uh?
Speaker 5: Thirty one thousand dollars and his wanted poster is also going for twenty three thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: They must be able to they must have a really good way to authenticate that hair for it to go for that much money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the poster for twenty three k put put in a bid for me. You considering it, I'm gonna buy. Then I'll pay it back. Don'try. I'm good.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, cool front me what it? Just still pay it any time. If you come up short, you'll sell off your cigarette butt right. The arm Strong and Getty Show.
Speaker 1: More Jack your Joe podcasts and our hot links Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty, The arm Strong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: Oh here you go. Here's my favorite Porsche joke. And I owned one. What's the difference between a portion of porcupine porcupine the picture on the outside.
Speaker 4: Hey, and if that thought that that was course, wait till the rest of the pot. I got two more things. I thought I had nothing for the podcast. I got two more things to say.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 3: I hope they were more, you know, uplifting than that last one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's only up from here. Uh yeah, I don't want to hurt anybody's It's just a fact. I know three women in their mid forties who made the choice in life to be childless and really really regret it now, really really regret it now. Like is like makes them cry thinking about it.
Speaker 6: So that's common ish common ish.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a couple of friends that are in that exact same boat right now.
Speaker 3: And folks, sometimes for medical reasons or sometimes a marriage goes sideways reasons or whatever in the window closes.
Speaker 2: That's that's very hard for them too. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well that's why the phrase chose. You know, it wasn't a medical thing or something. Yeah, this was lifestyle. What kind of were you going with? I'd rather on a Porsche.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this was like a failed marriage that ended horribly and she said, screw it, I'm not doing this anymore.
Speaker 6: And now we're like years down the road and.
Speaker 4: She's like, that is definitely an evantge have a man, because I didn't. I didn't have kids, so I was forty five. It was an option for me as a dude, right, she just gotta find a younger woman. And what was my other thing? I was gonna say, Oh, so I'm I'm picking up my son from the high school the other day. This is on the cruelty of high schoolers. I'm picking up my son at high school the other day, and I got my window down and there's this one kid that forever whatever reason that has dress shoes on, and he's walking across the parking lot. He's like wearing khakis and dress shoes, and some guy goes, oh my god, hey Jim, look at his shoes. And then they're both like a like so working so hard to laugh so hard so they can point at somebody and mock them and laugh.
Speaker 2: How he's their self esteem by demeanian.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, And you know, as a grown up having lived through that, when it was painful for me to be on the wrong end of that, it just looked so ridiculous, like why would you ever give us what those guys think about your shoes?
Speaker 2: It's too bad anybody does? I know everything? We like? Why people a day for ten two? Why do they need.
Speaker 4: To elevate themselves by trying to make that person feel worse because they had to go to their I don't know, they had to go to the something at the church or funeral or who knows why they're wearing dress shoes.
Speaker 2: But it's just it was so like.
Speaker 7: Ha ha, look at his shoes, ha ha ha, what a dork?
Speaker 2: I mean it was that my status is now higher than his.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would love to leave out to genderbread person, for instance, and maybe just spend ten minutes on that.
Speaker 2: Someday in like fifth grade, I almost wanted to go over and talk to that guy.
Speaker 4: He didn't seem to be predicular abotter, but you never know what's going on inside his brain. Let's say, don't give a shit those dicks think. When you're older, you will not It will not make any difference whatsoever.
Speaker 6: One of the many reasons why I am so glad I'm no longer in n.
Speaker 4: I school no kidding, no kidding, or do you have the mind you have now? I can go back to high school now would be hilarious people pointing in laughin of everything's really what are you doing whatever?
Speaker 2: It's just why would I freaking care what you think? Oh? That would be you know, it's funny. I was about to say, I wouldn't sentence al Qaeda to four years of high school. It's too cruel.
Speaker 3: On the other hand, when if you could bring your life experience and confidence back.
Speaker 2: For yeah, oh yeah, that would be. That would be super great in some ways at least. Yeah huh.
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show, Yeah, more Jack your Shoe podcasts and our hot links. The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: Queer Canine Becomings, lesbian feminist cyborg politics and interspecies intimacies in Ecologies of Love and Violence.
Speaker 6: Oh, they have to be trolling that I know.
Speaker 3: It's by Chloe Diamond Lenewe, who is an actual professor at Eastern at the American University, which is in New York or somewhere.
Speaker 4: That sounds as one hundred percent as crazy as those fake papers that James Lindsay and his friends put out.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, which.
Speaker 4: Makes his point that things are so off the rails that you can't tell the difference between something that's real and what's not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exaggeration is completely impossible. My god, you can do is what they did, and that's like equal the insanity, except yours is completely fake but nobody can tell, which makes the point. But you know, I feel like I ought to read the abstract, but it's so long. I'll hit you with it because Jack said, I, you know, it'd be interesting to get that whole paper and see how much sense it made on any level.
Speaker 2: And you're right, But so here's the abstract.
Speaker 3: This article offers a queer lesbian feminist analysis attuned to lesbian queer trans canine relationalities.
Speaker 4: And that really sounds like chicks having sex with dogs? Is it not bestiality?
Speaker 3: I just I can't believe they're expecting me to plow through another queer lesbian feminist analysis to into lesbian queer transcanine relation analities.
Speaker 6: I just want to let you know this. Chicks pronouns are she?
Speaker 2: They?
Speaker 6: The scene?
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I like your your activist pieces of crazy ass Marxist garbage. Who who throw you the curveball of she? And you're thinking her? But no, no, I use she and they. If you call me her, I will be insulted. I'm looking at her Facebook.
Speaker 5: Her profile picture is a purple fist with a banner that says professor of lesbian dance theory.
Speaker 3: I don't mind watching lesbian's dance. That's my only theory.
Speaker 4: And somebody who makes a living doing that, yes, gets paid.
Speaker 2: Dance theory, Yeah.
Speaker 3: To indoctrinate children into this incoherent gobbledegook of theory. Okay, So I just that was like that was the first sentence. Specifically, the article places queer and lesbian ecofeminism in conversation with Donna Harroway's work on the cyborg and companion species to theorize the interconnected queer becomings of people, nature, animals, and machines amidst ecologies of love and violence in the twenty twenties. It takes two key case studies as the focus for analysis. First, the state instrumentalization of dogs and robot dogs for racialized and imperial violence. Oh, you got a little race in there too. I didn't see that coming. I mean, you got lesbian robot dogs. You wouldn't think there's time to work race in. But that's where you'd be wrong. Let's see in the second I'm sorry. In the first article, did I say that already? The article traces how dogs are webonized as tools of state violence and proposes a queer lesbian feminist critique of white supremacy and militarization that can also extend to a critique of the violence committed through toward the dogs. In the second whoof the article analyzes how within lesbian, non binary and trans dog intimacies, we got to stop there, don't we Let.
Speaker 6: That they're having sights with dogs get to the fun part.
Speaker 3: Really just started discussing that transdog intimacies. That does does that mean like transgender dogs. That's like a former boy dog who's now a leged bitch. I prefer to use the technical term.
Speaker 4: I was taking it as the interactions between trans people and dogs.
Speaker 6: Oh see, I was with Joe. I sounded like a trans dog to me.
Speaker 3: In the second the article analyzes how within lesbian, non berry binary and transdog intimacies, dogs help articulate I think you're right, Jack, queer gender sexuality and kinship formations and as such, queer worlds for gender sexual and kin becomings. The entanglements of violence and love in these queer dog relationalities provide insights into the complexities of queer and lesbian feminists, feminist world building, and finally, lesbian and queer feminist cyborg politics can help theorize the potentials.
Speaker 2: And challenges of these inter species and tangled So I'm going to take at least a shot at what I think this is. I appreciate the cyborgs in the end because I was getting I was wondering where.
Speaker 6: Where did they come from?
Speaker 2: I'll be back you remember that that was great. I think they believe.
Speaker 4: That that because of our systemic racism and culture, dogs are raised in such a way to not be friendly to the trans lesbian community. And they have some concern that the robot dogs that are coming our way are going to be the same. And then when you end up with robot people like cyborgs, now you're going to have the robot dogs who are home transphobic, poorly treating the robot humans. That's my guess that what this paper is about. The hell, I think you may number one. I am impressed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I admire you even being able to somewhat analyze that.
Speaker 3: I think you may be one notch off. And I'll repeat the lessons. Let'sbian in queer, feminist cyborg politics can help theorize the potentials and challenges of these interspecies entanglements. Well, no, I think yeah, so so the relationship of a trans person with a dog, robot or otherwise can dogs are being raised to be transmissed ache And they're concerned that when we have robot dogs and robot people it.
Speaker 4: Will continue then we'll have transphobic robot dogs. How are you trans if you're a robot though a person? What difference does it make once you're a robot?
Speaker 6: What are we talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm with Kittie.
Speaker 3: I'm reminded of you know, you get somebody who's is like a complete psychopath and does all these weird things, and people say, what where is they thinking? No, No, you can't come up with a rational explanation for the irrational.
Speaker 2: You're wasting your time. You got to figure out Michael.
Speaker 3: No, I was just thinking, this is why I took aerobics in college. Yeah, I bowling, all right, I'm just going to pick a sentence or two at random. At the same time, it offers a model for a postgender world that can be ironically blasphemous and subverts its origins in the appropriation of women's bodies in a masculinist orgy of war and other oppressive traditions, including the tradition of racist, male dominated capitalism, the tradition of progress, the tradition of the appropriation of nature is a resource for the production of culture, the tradition of reproduction of the self from the reflections of the other. One thing they sought to spend more time studying is grammar like throw in a period now and again, right, so I can break it down by phrase.
Speaker 6: Masculinist orgy of war.
Speaker 2: Banda.
Speaker 6: I saw them at the Warfield San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, wow.
Speaker 5: I that she wrote this out and then threw it into chat GPT and just said, make this as wordy and confusing as humanly possible.
Speaker 2: I would love to take a class with one of these people. Love it.
Speaker 4: God, I gotta see if I can take a class like I'm sure my universeity has this sort of stuff in the town I live in, UC Davis.
Speaker 2: Take one of these classes and ask sincere.
Speaker 4: Sounding questions like just fully indulge their bost just oh my god, you've really hit something here with me, the masculine orgy of war or whatever that phrase was, expound on that for me with you, and just let them go on with their right.
Speaker 3: Well, what's revealing about this and so interesting and odd is that this is again, I just picked another sentence at random. In doing so, the article develops a queer and lesbian feminist approach to living in coalition with the more than human with attention to what Stephen's and Sprinkle name in this journal issue is cosensing an ethical embodied motive relating to the earth, a tune of the sensorial and activated through the erotic playfulness.
Speaker 2: And joy.
Speaker 3: Every single sentence is so I mean, just stuffed full of jargon. Yeah, it can mean whatever they say it means, or mean nothing at all.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy to have become tutored by James Lindsay and his books and his tweets about how this is on purpose to make you feel dumb, because I no longer feel dumb when I hear this stuff. I realize you're trying to You're trying to, you know, pull the wool over my eyes by using a bunch of phrases and words that don't mean anything or only mean something to you and make me feel dumb. So I'll sit here and listen to this crap, right, and I don't feel that way anymore, which is good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it almost becomes a riddle. All right, what are they talking about? I'm reminded, you know, we got we did not get enough mileage out of the cliff that came out. Might have been during the crazy Columbia demonstrations like last winter, in which one of the leaders of the up with terrorism, which is actually just down with Western civilization. All of this boils down to tearing down Western civilization. And this gal because of course it's an angry woman was saying.
Speaker 2: You've learned your.
Speaker 3: Colonialist theory and your gender theory, and your queer theory.
Speaker 2: And your March's theory or whatever.
Speaker 3: It's time to take all of your theories and put them into action.
Speaker 2: And that was a really good kind of summary.
Speaker 3: What all of this is, All of those wackadoodal theories that fall under critical theory are all just different ways to attack Western civilization and bring it to its knees so you can infiltrate it and usher in your Marxist utopia. And all of this stuff is what that looks like inside the sausage factory.
Speaker 4: It's something shuh, ain't I tell you this. I ain't gonna pay for my kid to sit in one of those classrooms and learn that crap.
Speaker 2: It ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 4: If they somehow decide they really want that, they'll have to take out a loan or figure it out on their own.
Speaker 3: One more, Just one more, can I please? Lesbian feminism integrated with queer ecofeminism, animal studies and critical posthumanisms provide tools to rethink non heteropatriarchal relations across more than human realms. Queer ecofeminism involves liberating the erotic alongside nature, queers and women, challenging the hierarchical dualisms that link mind, body, reason, emotion. Man, woman, you can't bipoc human animal, nature, culture and heterosexual queer.
Speaker 2: It's almost impossible to believe it's real. It's almost impossible to believe it's real.
Speaker 6: I'm convinced for being trolled.
Speaker 2: By this she they.
Speaker 3: I can believe that somewhere in America there's a crazy old man tunelessly playing the saw.
Speaker 2: You ever seen anybody play the singing? I can believe that and accept it. The idea that someone's.
Speaker 3: Paying them to do that and they have tenure. That's where it gets crazy to me. And that's what this stuff is.
Speaker 4: The most important thing we learned from today's podcast that the purple fist represents what.
Speaker 3: Katie Oh your break Yeah, professor of lesbian dance theory.
Speaker 4: Yes, the purple fist is lesbian dance theory. Or as Joey said, your scornchy's too tight around your wrist?
Speaker 2: You mother cry too tight.
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getdy Show, your show podcasts and our hot lenks.
Speaker 7: The Armstrong and Getty shot Oh here's how money actually works with theory seven dollars.
Speaker 2: Beautiful shit ching, are you about to say something?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, So we're gonna do the one on one class first and then two to one class. If this first part is too obvious for some of you, congratulations on understanding the basics of economics, which is a fairly rare thing in today's world, which is highly discouraging. But first of all, they're talking about who's this writer. I like to give credit because it's really well written. Matthew Hennessy, and the Wall Street Journal is talking about the fellows in Oasis, the British rock band which is getting back together.
Speaker 2: Wonderwall. He gets back, he.
Speaker 3: Gets into some of the backstory, the Gallagher brothers who can't stand each other and can't get along, but they're the indispensable members of the band Oasis. Last month, the Boys Buried the Hatchet announced series twenty twenty five concerts. Various fans we're young and relatively poor during the band's heyday, are now older and relatively rich. They have the willingness and ability to pay to see Oasis and concert. Economically speaking, that's called demand. But demand is only one side of the economic story morning glory for the moment. At least, the Oasis reunion is limited to a handful of shows in the Wembley Stadium is large, it's not infinitely so, and there's no guarantee the brothers will remain on speaking terms beyond next summer. Fans understand that this may be their last chance to see the battling Gallagher lads together on stage.
Speaker 2: Supply is limited now.
Speaker 3: Introductory economics tell us that when supply is tight and demand is high, prices rise to an equilibrium, which is exactly what happened. Then he talks about dynamic pricing and how the tickets are significantly more expensive than they seem to be when initially announced. Some accuse the greedy brothers of ripping off their loyal fans. Many more aimed their furia ticket Master, the American ticket Sales BMTH owned by Live Nation Entertainment.
Speaker 2: The few revealed terrible.
Speaker 4: Probably not going to hang argue me out of my anger at Ticketmaster in general.
Speaker 3: But go on, Oh the fees, the fees that creep up onto your bill at the end. Yes, that's a different topic and an interesting you're electronic sending me of the ticket cost forty dollars. What yeah, anyway, putting that aside, because this is just a question of the price of the tickets. The furor revealed a terrible ignorance, even among the highly educated, of what prices are and how they work.
Speaker 2: I would argue to the journalists that.
Speaker 3: Know, these are people posing as being outraged, they're not actually outraged. Like the very Prime Minister of Britain, Kirs Starmer, told the House Commons that he found it depressing to hear of the Oasis price hikes. He promised a commission to investigate what he called extortionate price resals whatever. Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy told the Bebe that quote, vastly inflated prices would exclude ordinary fans.
Speaker 4: They have a culture secretary, Yeah, why do you need that secretary of culture? And there should be some sort of government intervention in that some things are more expensive than others.
Speaker 2: What yeah, bollocks?
Speaker 3: In economic terms, a concert ticket and this is the really important part. This is the econ one to one stuff that if you don't understand it, you don't get anything about economic A concert ticket is no different from a book, a bottle, a wine, or a house. It has no inherent value, only the price a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to accept. The market clearing price of anything is where demand to meet supply. The correct and fair price is whatever the market will bear. No buyer has a right to a low price, just as no seller has a right.
Speaker 2: To a high price.
Speaker 3: Then they point out the obvious Oasis could be nice guys and sellar tickets for five bucks, but scalpers would snatch them all up and resell them.
Speaker 2: For much much more.
Speaker 3: What good would it do for Oasis, for the ordinary fan or anybody, to allow third party resellers to capture all that value?
Speaker 2: Well, that's what Yeah, that's what people don't understand about.
Speaker 4: Sports, guitar players, whatever, actors and actresses. Somebody's going to get that money because there's a demand for it. So if it's not George Clooney or Shoheyo Tani or the Gallagher brothers, then the company that puts on the show or the game, or the network or whatever they get the money.
Speaker 2: But somebody's getting the money. It's just the way it works, right.
Speaker 3: A couple more quick tidbits, and music industry guru explained that the acts hide behind Ticketmaster.
Speaker 2: They want them to take the flack for all this stuff. Oh that's pretty good, that's probably true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not good for your image. But Ticketmaster takes all the flack. And he also writes, here's the dirty little secret. Ticketmaster does nothing that the band does not agree to. So anyway, I thought that was a good little instructional on if there's demand and little supply, the price is going to go up and should and you know what's gonna happen. The Gallery boys are going to put down their fists and open up their calendars and say, you know, I'm allan to play half a dozen more.
Speaker 2: Shows, are you? And supply will increase in the prices will.
Speaker 4: I was drunk in the backseat of an suv that could go.
Speaker 2: I have one.
Speaker 4: Thousand, five hundred stories that start that way, but in this particular one enter my seat. I was drunk in the back of suv on the way to an Oasis concert in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Speaker 2: In nineteen ninety five when.
Speaker 4: We heard on the radio that they had canceled the concert because the two brothers had gotten a fistfight backstage.
Speaker 2: So I still have not seen them.
Speaker 3: Wow wow, Yeah, that legend not overblown.
Speaker 2: No, that reminds me when they were like in their sixties.
Speaker 3: The Davis Brothers it looks like Davies, but it's pronounced Davis of The Kinks actually were continuing to come to blows and scream at each other backstage in their sixties, trying to tour.
Speaker 2: Wow, get some counseling for us or something. Let it go, Armstrong and Getty