Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys blowing out of the backfield, exploding down the sidelines.
Speaker 1: This he is hanging with the Boys, presented by wing Stuff where Flavor gets its wings. Now, your hosts, Nate Newton, Kurt Daniels, Jesse Holly, and Shannon Gross.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: You look alive at Toastedos Championship Plaza outside Forward Center at the Star in Frisco, where it.
Speaker 5: Is a cool.
Speaker 4: One hundred and one degrees but it feels like one hundred and six. The load to night is eighty two and we are joined live from Oxnard, California, again two times in one week. That's almost too much sexy for anybody to handle.
Speaker 3: Nate Newton, where it is seventy one degrees and it feels like seventy one degrees.
Speaker 4: It's gonna get all the way up to a blistering seventy three there today Nate in a low of fifty nine and I have a question to start the show off. This was a conversation that was happening off the air before we came on the air.
Speaker 5: When you're in the restroom.
Speaker 4: And you're standing at the urinal and you know the person next to you and you need to talk to them about something.
Speaker 3: Do you start? Do you have bathroom converse?
Speaker 4: I know you don't make eye contact, you never make eye contact in the in the restroom, But is it okay to have a conversation with the man that's next to you or taking a step further if you see their shoes and you know who it is, can you talk to him whiley're in the stall?
Speaker 6: You know, I hate to say this because it's setting me up for failure, But it's depending on what you're handling.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: So if you're not handling a lot, you make it have a conversation. But if you're handling a lot, you have to make sure you do what it's serious. Uh So we were talking about brother William over here. You know he is having a conversation in the restroom, so we know where he stands.
Speaker 3: What about you, Jesse? Is it okay to talk in the restaurroom?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 8: No, no, you get you get the gentleman's kind of you know, if I see you coming.
Speaker 5: In the how you doing?
Speaker 3: But not why you're standing there?
Speaker 5: What about you?
Speaker 7: Kurt?
Speaker 3: I've done him.
Speaker 9: I've never done somebody in a stall and I'm outside of it. No way, I have done it before, you know, standing there, but I'm kind of on just inside.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, and they say, the more conversation you have.
Speaker 7: Hey, all right.
Speaker 6: Moving on the football, let's just get off that topic.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Did you go to the media party last night?
Speaker 6: Nate, No, I didn't, And I'm happy that I didn't because you know, inside information. Uh, you know a lot of people say, you know about Zach do we need him? And do we don't need him? And some of the things that was saying kind of broke my hearted that I heard about you know we need Zack Martin. That's all I need to say that I can go to the media party. Yes, okay, all right.
Speaker 4: But what uh, what other inside info have you gotten since we last talked to you on Monday? Any any anything going on behind the scenes out there?
Speaker 7: I no, No.
Speaker 6: I did my homework far as looking at Mazie that you guys asked me to do, and I did my homework. We're looking at the backup lineman. So I I did those two things and other than that right there, you know, nothing has happened Spectacler that would turn your heads and make you say, wow, you know this guy hit showed up, but this guy didn't show up. But everything has been going to plan. Two great days. Well, the first day I think was a great day of padded practice because guys were really blocked in and focused and doing what they had to do. You didn't see a lot of mental mistakes out there. Second day, I didn't see it from up close. I was kind of sitting back, so I didn't get to hear the past spot. But they did do one on one pass rushing the second day, and I like to see that right there.
Speaker 7: And Zach Martin, where are you?
Speaker 8: Jesse?
Speaker 4: A lot of talk out of camp for these first few days about how fast the receivers are, how fast this offense is, what And we'll get to you in a minute, Nate, get your take on what it looks like in real time. But it's been a long time since you've heard the wide receiver group here talk about being fast or being quick. Like we've had a lot of good route runners, you've had a lot of technicians. You haven't heard speed, Like what different dynamic does speed bring to a team as opposed to just a good a good receiver.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's fear. It's fear when you line up.
Speaker 8: When Brandon Cooks line up was commoditorf the line up, the first thing the DV.
Speaker 5: Looks at and goes, he's fast. And that's what you want.
Speaker 8: You wanna be able to line up against a guy and the first thing that he thinks about.
Speaker 5: Is Okay, he can't beat me deep.
Speaker 8: So I'm already in the back of my mind, I'm already thinking about this guy going past me. When you watch some of these route comments that they're running, and you're seeing some of the whip routes, and you're seeing some of the long balls stuff like that, you're seeing that happen at warp speed. Now you're talking about changing over to the West Coast or Texas Coast offense. You're talking about a quick timing offense where everything needs to be done at a fast pace. Windows have to be opened and closed, ball has to be delivered. So that means I need guys that's gonna be able to get there. What you have in Cedee Lamb is a guy who's become a polished drought runner. But when you start adding that speed element around now, it gives you that element of fear that secondaries have to now worry about. Safeties can't be up in the box, Guys can't be.
Speaker 5: Up in press covers.
Speaker 8: Now you're gonna see guys playing more off covers, more too high safeties than you will one Hot Hinton.
Speaker 5: Because of that type.
Speaker 8: Of speed, the route concepts, you're seeing less of the curl routes, less of the Harvey valks, more of the routes that are moving, the slants, the goals, the deep overs, those type of routes that you want to get your guy in space with a bunch of speed. You know, we see it all the time with Tyreek Hill running those deep overs. If I can get him the ball in space with the guy trailing him, I'm trusting in believing at the speed that he has. It's gonna take a twenty yard play, make it a forty yard play, a forty yard play, make it a sixty yard play. And when you have those big chunks one it does it cuts down on your interceptions because you don't have to have the ball and have to have that many extra snaps for Dak Prescott. But also you're giving your team opportunity to make the big fatch plays to score touchdowns, which are important in this offense and in this league nowadays.
Speaker 5: And they give you those big chunk yards. And when you get leads.
Speaker 8: In the National Football League with a team like you have and a monster like you have with Michael Parsons, you go up ten, fourteen, seventeen points. Now that team has to be in a mandatory pass situation, well, then now it's fair game and a guy like Michael Parsons can kind of be unleashed to go get the quarterback. So speed kills in all aspects of life, especially in full.
Speaker 9: If you rather have speed than good size and good hands, that's sort of thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because you can speed, you can tea like you can't teach.
Speaker 5: Size, but you can now you can catch better.
Speaker 8: Right, But speed is one of those things that they can find a job for you. Speed allows people to find job for you, whether it's for turning punts or kicks, uh reversus whatever. If you pose an element of speed, someone will always go, we can we can use that, and they'll they'll sign you want to bring you.
Speaker 5: On, Nate.
Speaker 3: Does it look does it look does it look faster? Out there? Can you can you tell me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're faster.
Speaker 6: Yes, and and and this is what is so amazing is yesterday when they went early to red zone and into the uh but that was that was popping.
Speaker 7: I mean, split second the ball was out, it was. It was popping.
Speaker 6: When you see guys running around with that type speed, that type quickness and knowing where to be.
Speaker 7: Uh Dak was making it pop.
Speaker 6: And then even when he had to move around, it wasn't much and he was getting that ball out of it because guys were breaking quickly on the on the rock, and it just it makes our dv's much that much better when you play against quickness and guys that no way to be like these guys out here are doing Brandon Cooks CD lamb and I'm telling you, Michael Gallup looks.
Speaker 7: Like a new born kid. I mean he is around like a deer.
Speaker 6: So you see when you see all these guys running around in red zone, big things that happen, big things, even the tight ends saying hey, you know they they're making it happen.
Speaker 7: So the game is much quicker. I'm with you one hundred percent, Jesse.
Speaker 6: Speed will make you back up, man, speed will make you back up.
Speaker 9: Justin like we've been hearing so far, Like you know, Toback's looking good, and Turbine came out and had a good day, and Brooks the seventh round picks looking good. But at this point we're only weekend. Can you really get a good evaluation yet of these guys?
Speaker 8: What you want to see is guys playing fast, right. You want to see guys being able to line up, to know their assignments, to know what they're supposed to be doing, not just with the second and third group, but when you get sprinkled in there with the ones, right, can those guys be able to say, all right, take what you learned in the meeting room, what you learned OTA's in mini camp. Especially for guys like Jalen Tibert coming into year two, you should have a really good understanding of this offense so that now you're not so much so thinking about what you're doing every day in practice, but you're just going out there playing fast. And when guys can go out there and play loose and play fast, now I get a better chance to see what you are as a player. But if you're thinking, and we got to constantly correct you, and we got I can't trust you then because now while I'm evaluating, I'm also getting ready for the upcoming season.
Speaker 5: So if you're not keeping.
Speaker 8: Up with the speed of our total offense or defense evaluation and development, then I got to put a guy in there that does because I have ten other guys that I have to worry about. So seeing these young guys being able to have that type of exposure in camp and are doing well says to kind of almost what these guys have been saying the off season that we now have a better understanding of where we're supposed to be, why we're supposed to be there, what we're doing when we get there, and doing it at a fast pace. So that helps the quarterback, That helps them. That helped the offense, but it also helps guys like Mike McCarthy who's not the play caller, because now I can see on display all the talent that I have, and now I can go back to the line to say, Okay, I got size, I got speed, I got agility, I got this, this, this, this, and this, and he can continue to put together a package of playing a package of plays, and a playing offensively that they can run.
Speaker 5: Now, all these guys won't make this football team.
Speaker 8: We know that already, but it's good to have a selection from those guys and see those guys learning what they're supposed to be doing during you know, during camp.
Speaker 6: You know the amazing thing about it is when they took off yesterday on that red zone for about ten plays, It's like once Ceedee Lamb, once Pittman Scuman Turpin caught those first two touchdowns, It's like everybody was trying to make a playoffens and they just breede confidence and the speed that these guys are doing it, and I can say coming out of their breaks and the way they're doing it, it was a tremendous deal. They literally had our secondary just wondering what to do. I mean, Al Harris is going crazy trying to coach, coach this guy. They coach that guy, coach and Sean right there and coach the other guys. And so they they dominated that period yesterday.
Speaker 4: Hey, Nate, you're gonna stay with us through the second segment.
Speaker 8: I'm staying with you, all right, Yes, before we go, Hey, I have one quick question for Nick.
Speaker 5: Do they sell lotion and oxlan?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 7: Lord, yes they do, Yes, they do.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, now I'm gonna ask you a question. That's football really, that's football leaders.
Speaker 3: Jesse trying to get you all sides.
Speaker 4: Good job, Nate, good job by not jumping off sides before we go to break, because I want to talk about this.
Speaker 5: Were you standing there watching O line D line when.
Speaker 4: Michael Parsons did my good friend Tyrn Smith dirty?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, anything, don't say anything.
Speaker 4: I want to come back and I want to get your take on what happened, because everybody in Dallas radio was.
Speaker 3: Talking about that.
Speaker 4: So I want to get your take on what happened when we come back on the next segment of Hanging with the Boys.
Speaker 2: Hey, Cowboys fans, ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yokiero guacamole. Be the game day hero. Yo Kiro means I want and we know you want, great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertson's or Tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them. Yo Kiero Yo Kiero Guacamole.
Speaker 11: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 5: Want to stay at a.
Speaker 11: Team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Wall. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 7: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 10: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trust it by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 5: Seed gig has your back.
Speaker 12: No matter what kind of fan you are, So whether you're a die hard fan or a don't really care fan. Oh we got them next time fan, or we'll never win again fan. Here for the tailgate fan, or a first one through the gates fan. The seed Gig not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before, they made just about everything else easier to So, whether you're here every week fan or haven't been here in year fan, seat geek has you covered? Download the seat Geek After the seat Keek, You're a take of the great seats.
Speaker 7: Hanging with the Bulls.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to hang with the boys, Shit and gross. Kurt Daniels, Jesse Holly in studio, Big Lovely, Sexy. Nate Newton out in Oxnar, California with.
Speaker 8: The ashy hand. His hands are ashy. Look at this everything he brings his hands up. His hands are ashy. I wanted to know if they had just a little bit of moisturizing cream anywhere in the state of California. Go down there and see go down there, see see see how I got Brett, Go see go see Jim out or somebody.
Speaker 5: They gotta have some sort.
Speaker 8: Of cream in there, because that that cracking of the hands and that weather is alone.
Speaker 5: I'm helping he can say.
Speaker 6: He can say whatever he wants. I rather had a cracking out of hands at seventy three degrees.
Speaker 7: Right out.
Speaker 5: That's a good point.
Speaker 4: Our show was brought to you every single day that we do it by wingstop where Flavor gets its wings, and every single second segment of the show is brought to you by a blockchain dot com. Blockchain dot com. The the last the last UH.
Speaker 3: Live reads the same as it was Monday.
Speaker 7: I'm just reading ahead, you.
Speaker 4: Know how, you know how words worked really tough for me sometimes Today is one of those.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I apologize.
Speaker 4: Nate all right, back to some live observations and then and then the follow up question from our side, and then Jesse, you want to get your.
Speaker 5: Take on the follow up question.
Speaker 4: We've been hearing about Michael Parson's just wreaking havo it out there. Is it as bad as everybody everybody's making it sound, Yes.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 6: The first day we were doing combo runs, which is like nine on seven, and Uh he wrecked a few plays. Then then he went to will be called pressure where they line up and they bring blitzes and stuff like that. And he he wrecked that because Tyron and Still are not in there. The two young guys are in there, Idava. I'm trying to hope pronounce his name.
Speaker 7: Right in Walaska, Whatlaska.
Speaker 6: Those two guys are in there, and they have just been dominating at the defensive imposition him in d law and god forbid they get on the same side and start running games and stunts and boyle, they just been wrecking, uh, those parts of practice when they're the other than that, the office line and seemed seeming to hold up pretty well, or when Parsons is on fire. I mean just like every other play to his side. Now, you can have four guys blocking well, but whoever, whether it's on Tyron or Steel or one of the backup guys, he Doagua. He is wrecking practice, man, And it's nothing you can do because you can't stop practice. You can't ask him to be less than what he is, and you can't not take him out.
Speaker 7: You can't take him out of practice.
Speaker 6: So our offensive line, believe me, Mike Silari is working overtime on technique, technique, toughness, toughness. Do your job, hang in there because you're not facing that guy every Sunday. You're not facing a Parson's guy every Sunday.
Speaker 4: That was gonna be my question to you, Jesse, is can you do any like that's disrupted?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 4: It's great to see on the defensive side because that means, hell, yeah, we gotta This guy's living up to the hype. He's been talking to talk, he's walking the walk. But on the offensive side, you're not getting quality reps in case you get getting slaughtered on every play. Like Nate said, you can't ask him to back off, he can't take him out of practice. But what does that do to you mentally as an offensive lineman when you're just like, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the biggest thing is is for guys like Tyron, who's been around the block a couple of times, right, Like he gets it, Like Tyron understands you when you're just faced up with Yeah. Remember Tyron came in with a veteran DeMarcus way, so he understands when it is to kind of be in that dominating position where it's kind of almost like a baby, like you start you start out crawling and you go out, you go out this world crawling like the older person. But for Tyron, he realizes now that you know this is just what it is, he is just a monster. He's a man child, and that's what you want to be. The difference is you have to also understand offensively, in training camp, we're not game planning for Michael Parsons in practice right.
Speaker 5: Now, they're just going out there trying to run their sets. In the game.
Speaker 8: Is you know Mike Clarie tell his groups, he'll say, hey, listen, in the game, have a tight end. We'll start away from this, We'll run away from him. But right now, you gotta just hunker down, do your very best to try to stop him. And then you got to coach through tape, right You got to coach through the walkthrough, You have to coach through the practice film.
Speaker 5: You had to coach through those type of situations.
Speaker 8: But Michael Parson presents the same problem defensively as we talked about offensively.
Speaker 5: Speed.
Speaker 8: When you have that level of speed, the first thing the tackle thinks about is can't.
Speaker 5: Let him beat me around the corner.
Speaker 8: So when Michael comes off the ball and he's flying upfield and you go to kind of kick out real hard and he catches you in that midkick and now you on one leg and he come underneath or he he gives you that kind of that old, that old swipe and you're off balance, you're going down. And for Micah, the biggest thing that I see for him this year is can he withstand the full time position at defensive end?
Speaker 5: The wear and tear, the wear and tear.
Speaker 8: Kurt just looked it up for me, the average weight for defensive International Football League.
Speaker 9: Kurt was what but it said two seventy eight team, it looks more like sixty two seventy. Most of those guys are around sixty five.
Speaker 5: What's Mike away and Micah's right now.
Speaker 2: He's to forty five.
Speaker 5: Right now, it's two forty five, I think.
Speaker 9: But he was this might be based on last year's toy. He was trying to get up closer to two fifty.
Speaker 5: But and Hi I told people about this as well.
Speaker 8: And Nate you can jump into this, because Nate was kind of on the opposite end of things. It's guys who struggle keeping weight. No matter what you do in the off season, when you get in season, you're not lifting the same. You're not your intake is not the same. You're practicing at a much higher rate. You're doing more running. Michael Parsons a guy once in on every single play. So even if he put on ten pounds in the off season, by the time we get to October, that weights come back off. He's back down to two forty five, two fifty. It's not till you get later in your career or you know, it's the big guys who have a problem, you know, keeping the weight off, not putting the weight on and your metabolism slow down a little bit. For Micah, it's yeah, we know what you can do the first half of the season. Will you be able to sustain that level of ferociousness speed fire throughout the duration of the season because the last last year, the last half of the season, the last six games of the season, seven games in the season, hit one sack, hit one sack the last six seven games of the season. And you can tell he come off his shoulder, his knee, his hip, his back. It's that wear and tear that you talk about all year long. And now when you're practicing the way of these practices practicing, he doesn't want to come off the field ever, now won't come off the field, doesn't want to miss practices, don't want to take a playoff, but you realize can you be that dog for seventeen weeks of the season. And that has become the issue with Michael Parsons is can he do it.
Speaker 5: For the whole year? Yeah?
Speaker 9: I don't think we're saying or I haven't heard of any workouts linebacker A.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen it?
Speaker 3: Is that a misuse speak?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Are they using him in all the linebacker nate?
Speaker 7: Nah? Nah, they will manage me, don't don't worry. He'll be okay. We all learned, be good, be good, good all the way around.
Speaker 6: No no, no, no, no, no, no, no no, you mean to tell me we give Michael Partisons all of this credit to be in this great athlete, this smart athlete, and he he hasn't give it any thought on how to make adjustments since the game go on, as the season go on. Uh, the coaches is up to the coaches and the trainers to manage him, to help him manage himself. Uh, yes, you're going to have your plays, but I don't I don't care.
Speaker 7: If it's if we get a deep kick and the guy bring it out and we on the one, we on the five. Hey, hey, no, we don't need you to this.
Speaker 6: Some partis we will we'll we'll wait a minute, get give him a blow right here, to give him a blow. You know what I'm saying, take him out of the game. It is some guys you have to protect them from themselves and so and if Michael wanted to stay in his league and get paid in this league a long time, he better, he better understand. He better talk to a dware, he better talk to a child. Say they both undersized guys, wasn't big at their positions, you know.
Speaker 7: So now you talk to these guys, you find out how they got through.
Speaker 6: Because if you're only going to have one sack and the second half of the season, the team's gonna load up on you. You don't want to have that situation. You want to be be able to have them fifteen sixteen sacks throughout the whole season and be effective when the playoffs comes around. So he'll he'll be smart enough to get through. This ain't ain't about you know. I know everything's gonna be alright, But if you don't understand how to pace himself and how to play this game as a veteran, he blow himself out.
Speaker 7: Oh no, he won't be all right. Maybe the rest of the team will be okay, because.
Speaker 8: To that point jet of his career where he understands the pace, I think he knows one speed and I think, you know, I think he knows competition at the highest level one hundred miles an hour for I don't.
Speaker 2: Think he.
Speaker 7: If I run past.
Speaker 6: Look, man, do you understand that this is seventeen games. This ain't a sprint, This ain't kind of This ain't a sprint. It's seventeen games where somebody gonna knock your head off, ain't gonna slow you down because you're not at your best?
Speaker 5: All right, Nate?
Speaker 4: Before we go to our next break, your guy, Zzie Smith said yesterday, I don't even like football.
Speaker 3: I like hitting people. Now.
Speaker 4: I would like to think that that you don't get to the National Football League by not liking football. I mean, there's some guys that don't love football, But I would like to think that everyone likes football.
Speaker 3: And I would like to think he was joking. But what's he been doing out there?
Speaker 4: That's your guy. You called for him, you got him. Is he is he living up to the hypel A week in the camp.
Speaker 6: Will you want me to get that on the coming out of the break or you want me to go into that?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 5: How long are you gonna talk? Let's go to.
Speaker 3: Let's take our second break.
Speaker 4: When we come back, made go Tom for a minute or five.
Speaker 2: Hey Cowboys fans ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo Kiero guacamole and be the game day hero. Yo kiro means I want and we know you want. Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertson's or Tom Thumb in the deli section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo kiero, Yo kiero guacam only.
Speaker 12: The Seed Gig has your back no matter what kind of fan you are, So whether you're a die hard fan or a don't really care fan, Oh we got them next time fan, or we'll never win again fan. Here for the tailgate fan or first one through the gates fan. The Seed Gig not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before.
Speaker 5: They made just about.
Speaker 12: Everything else easier to Whether you're right here every week fan or haven't been here in years fan seat gig as you covered, download the seat geek ap to the seat gig.
Speaker 5: You're a tech of the great Seeds.
Speaker 10: I'm dok Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot Com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few types away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For cryptopros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, Trust it by America's Team.
Speaker 11: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and ods with me us some Walls with Stars sports tours. You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 5: Today to Hanging with the Bulls.
Speaker 4: We are back for the final segment Hanging with the Boys brought to you every day by Wingstop where Flavor gets its wings. Shannon Gross, Jesse, Holly Kirk Daniels in studio, Nate Newton live from Oxenard, California, and our final segment of the day is brought to you by Jigsaw Proud, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. All right, Nate, your guy Mizi Smith.
Speaker 3: He likes to hit people.
Speaker 5: What have you seen a camp so far?
Speaker 6: He played with pretty good leverage. He got good hands. He played with pretty good leverage. I saw him in past rush toss some TJ Bass on his neck, you know, so, I mean he he bullrushed, but he bull rushed a.
Speaker 7: Half a man, and that puts a lot of time centers that you know, when.
Speaker 6: He come a half man and he got his full body on your one half, it's kind of hard for you to balance. And TJ went up on one leg trying to get itself back down, and he never came back down, you know, until he was on his back. So, uh, he's been doing good. And I've used that comment before, you know, you know, I really did at football. And what interests me is the ability to illegally beat up people.
Speaker 7: So I'll be with him on that right there.
Speaker 6: You know that you can you physically beat up another man and ain't nobody gonna call AsSalt and battery or nothing like that.
Speaker 7: So but he's done it.
Speaker 6: But believe me, FA, I've been looking at him a liverit of his tape and they've been punishing him too because they know, uh, he's strong, he plays pretty good leverage, got decent hands at this early in training camp, so they've been they've been double teaming him and knocking him on his rump a couple of times too. So and he's just trying to get some payback because when you play over the center, or you play that two technique over the guard or the inside eye of the guard, you gonna get two of more guys on you all the time, and you're gonna sometime have tight ends blocking down on you. So keep trying to get some payback, man, that's all it is he just man because they beat him.
Speaker 8: Up Right now, Nate, I got a question from an interior kind of perspective. When you hear coaches talking about right now Mazi is learning how to just be a good run stopper. That learning how to be a good pass rusher will come later. Can you kind of elaborate on that a little bit? What's the difference from a young guy's perspective at that position or in the trenches, of one being a run stopper and then later on learning how to be a pass rusher and then combining the two. Because we see guys like Aaron Donald who's like run stopper and get you twelve sacks a season, what is the maturation of that happening for a young guy like Mazzie.
Speaker 7: Smith right now?
Speaker 6: What you're trying to do is ask him to stay up parallel with the line. You want him to keep his body parallel with your line. You don't want him getting sideways. You want him taking up a body, getting on the center, putting both hands on a guy and taking up and staying where he can go either way. You know, you want him to be to stop and run. You want him two yards every time he's over the center of the guard, you want him two yards into that backfield, and you want that body of that center by that guard at least a back of yard, which will be two yards for him.
Speaker 7: And that's what you want. Now when you get this, guys.
Speaker 6: Stop turning sideways and twisting it, trying to turn their bodies.
Speaker 13: Now, you help creating holes. They don't want him to create in the hose unless it's coming from his side. He want the linebacker behind him coming downhill. He has done a great job early in this camp of making sure his linebacker, whether it's the mic backer at a two technique over a guard or as the wheel linebacker coming from the nose position looping around.
Speaker 7: You want these guys running free.
Speaker 6: You warn him running free, man, And that's what he's been able to do a couple of times.
Speaker 7: To let guys run free.
Speaker 6: Jabril Cox is shooting every gap sometime to his own detriment because this guy, these big guys, him and Jonathan Hanks have been opening up holes by eating up bodies.
Speaker 5: Man, this becauesn't like.
Speaker 3: This gets me excited.
Speaker 5: It gets me a little football horn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got you, because everything we're talking about this team is multi dimensional now like they've always been missing, like they haven't. They had good route runners, but they didn't have speed.
Speaker 5: Right now they got speed.
Speaker 4: You had you know, you had good linebackers, but you didn't have run stoppers, you know, and that caused you to get kicked out of playoffs a couple of years in a row.
Speaker 5: And now it's like, okay, you got this.
Speaker 4: And then they says, Okay, Jabril Cox is shooting shooting the gaps, you know, Mike and Tankard disrupted offensive lines where you know, you don't hear like I mean, when your defense is that good, it's you can't both be standing right, somebody's gonna get beat every day, right, But I mean, it's just everything we're talking about is like this is another level than what they've always had.
Speaker 3: And it's like because usually you're like, we're really good here.
Speaker 9: Well for your it's been on offense.
Speaker 4: Right, and now you're talking about defense and not only the linebackers, but now you've got corners and safeties and now you got guys up front.
Speaker 3: It's just it's like, Okay, what's gonna go It's.
Speaker 5: Gonna go wrong? Like, well, what's gonna go wrong? Michael Staff, the quarterback. That's Staff, the quarterback, Michael.
Speaker 8: It goes really wrong, really fast if Michael keeps coming in there for Dak Prescott's legs.
Speaker 6: The thing is, it reminds me of early in our career, once Charles Haley showed up for us and our practices was hard. And if you attacked this right way, like Jess was talking about earlier, if you as an offensive mind, attacked this right way, I don't care how hard it it's for me, because going against Leonette was always a job for me. He was a better athlete, he was smart. Charles Aley was a threat being next to him. So you always work on your technique. You keep working on your technique. You gotta believe that if you keep working on your technique and you statementally tough to do your job, to do the best you can to give that maximum of from when you're in there, your four or five place.
Speaker 7: This season's gonna turn out, Okay.
Speaker 6: Our problem is gonna be the number sixty six TJ Bass. Is he gonna develop enough to give Matt Farniac and run at that second backup guard is is Igodava And I'm hoping Tom pronounce this game guy's name right, is he gonna be enough to play that left tackle? Something happened to Tyron Smith. It's some questions got to be answered. Man brock Hoffman, he's the backup center right now. He goes in second. He's kind of liked, So what are these guys gonna do? Josh Baul He didn't have a great past protection or pressure passes segment yesterday, So what are these guys gonna do? That's why I was kind of joking at the beginning of the show, like where are you, Martin? Where are you?
Speaker 7: Because these but it's only.
Speaker 6: Been two days this preseason for our offensive line. They cannot wait to get these guys into the preseason as a unit for as the backups, to see what these guys are gonna do because out here in practice they've been struggling.
Speaker 7: Now, I mean they.
Speaker 6: Look okay at times, but a lot of times they are struggling. And it's maybe because the guys are good on defense, but we won't know until we get into the preseason.
Speaker 9: Did you guys talk about the past protection and Monday and how that's supposed to be changing, like, you know, beg or not? Yeah, I guess they maybe even speak to this. Like McCarthy has said, one of the biggest changes to the offense is the pass protection. And I don't know nothing about you know what could be changing, how difficult it is to change, how long that's going to take to figure out? Is that something that I guess? How are they approaching and how are they managing that.
Speaker 7: It's just like I said, they doing the thing.
Speaker 6: They call it a new thing well before we call it blitch drill men you Jesse, but they call it pressure because they don't.
Speaker 7: They don't change the plays. The routes.
Speaker 6: The routes has changed depending on how the secondary look or how the linebackers look. Uh and U as office lineman, if they change, do change the play us office, Lina got to know right away. You know it ain't zero hold to this, this and this. You got to know because the whole blank if possible change, So you got to be a little bit more sharp. But what coach is talking about is when when we have our first unit and they look pretty good barring number eleven, you know, other than that, they look pretty good. Even the backups, barring number eleven, they look pretty good in there.
Speaker 7: And they look and I'm just being honest.
Speaker 6: When when when when this kid get in there, everybody else turned into superheroes. When they comes a pass rush situation with fat guy in there and not five, they take you out to fill in there, and we'll live it and we'll a little bit more competitive offensively across the line.
Speaker 7: That's what I've seen.
Speaker 5: Hot sports prediction time.
Speaker 4: Right, we talked, We talked about this a little bit on Monday, Jesse, So Ronald Jones got himself suspended the first two games of the season. Right when one O five to three the fan, the flagship station of the Dallas Cowboys, they point blank ash Jerry will Ezekiel Elliott be on this team come start of the season, And Jerry left the door wide and I think his response was, we're reading the tea leaves right now, which means you're saying there's a chance, Jesse.
Speaker 5: Are those tea leaves or tree leaves?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but all right, true or false?
Speaker 4: Ezekiel Elliott will be on this team when the season starts.
Speaker 5: False?
Speaker 9: Kurt unequivalently, No, McCarthy kind of closed the door on that. So so now it's just I don't remember exactly, but he kind of let it be know. No, we're moving on. He wants to give the young guys a chance. He doesn't want to, you know, stop their development. They've moved on.
Speaker 4: Because the coach on this of this team has never said anything.
Speaker 5: And then ownership.
Speaker 9: That's true. Opposite, that's true. Jerry will do what he wants to do. But I think he's just working the media. He also knows how to work on me.
Speaker 5: Nate, what you think?
Speaker 6: And Malik Davis guys our backup running back starting season? Yes, sir, so do you I don't know what happened three games in, but I know Rico Donald and Malie Davis need to show up so we can have a three running backs so much with Tony Pobab's beating past.
Speaker 3: Do you do you keep Ronald Jones around?
Speaker 7: Who? Ronald Jones?
Speaker 5: The running back that got suspended?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Who is he?
Speaker 12: That?
Speaker 3: His name's answer? All right?
Speaker 4: Before we get out of here, Kurt, you go first.
Speaker 3: Is there anybody you want to know a little scouting report on that?
Speaker 2: Nate?
Speaker 4: Uh may have got some watching film or got the seeing person out there.
Speaker 9: Wow, that's a good question.
Speaker 5: Sorry to screaming Yeah on me, I don't know.
Speaker 9: I mean We've been hearing a lot about these young wide receivers and how they're progressing. I'd like to know how some of these young corners are doing. We've heard something about next shown Ryan, but.
Speaker 6: Brooks he has been he has been getting open and I.
Speaker 7: Want to talk to one of the coaches. Just is this guy for real?
Speaker 6: I mean, because I don't care whether Dak is throwing to him or one of the other backup quarterbacks. He makes a play a day, and it's just is this like any other rookie, uh making it? You know, y'all making sure y'all make you know having him as successful plays.
Speaker 7: He makes a play a day at least sometimes.
Speaker 5: Said the same thing quarterback.
Speaker 4: He was always one, and it was like there's always one, and then it's said, said to that guy likes.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 6: I was never big on Houston. I was never big on Houston, and I'm not big on this guy. But y'all asked and and I got to find out. He makes a play a day and and and it'd be big whether it's.
Speaker 7: He was part of.
Speaker 6: He started a red zone thing last yes to day. He started that by making a big play. He just seems to come over was it?
Speaker 5: Did he make his big play on Boss Man Fat?
Speaker 6: He don'et made him on everybody? Man, don't made him on Gilmore too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you just hear him about every clip that I see, Like whether it's CD, it's Cooks Boss.
Speaker 6: Certain guys I don't even know their name. Certain guys who you're talking.
Speaker 4: About, there's no there's no point in learning them until until the season starts because half of them are go be here, need to give that number one up?
Speaker 7: Just any any Jones, boss Man Fat? Who are these guys?
Speaker 3: Just anybody you want to know to blow down on?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I've yet, I've yet. We're two weeks in the camp. I've yet to hear him play from the tight les. I've yet to hear one O one. I've yet to hear anything like not anything bad, but I've get to hear me and like man practice and will as a group. Yeah, I've yet to hear anything outside of you know, someone's not practicing the day or I just I want to see something from the tight End.
Speaker 5: Not that I'm worried.
Speaker 8: About that group, but I want to see something from the tight End to let me know that we're good.
Speaker 5: We're good we're good.
Speaker 7: We're good.
Speaker 5: Yeah for me.
Speaker 7: The tight ends.
Speaker 5: I want to see something with.
Speaker 6: Jake is practicing, okay, hender shot. You know he's he's catching everything they throwing to him. So, uh, there's nothing more I can say. The other big kid is over there working with our guys, so you know, rehaving so uh that's about it. Sean mcke and he's okay. But the other two guys are they doing their jobs? You know, they're just not Dak's pet's pet rattlesnakes or whatever you want to call him.
Speaker 4: Before before we leave, Nate, we're running close on time.
Speaker 3: How how does four look? How does Dak look.
Speaker 7: Sharp?
Speaker 5: I'm talking about That's what I want to hear.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he looks sharp. Yeah, he looks Shock.
Speaker 4: McCarthy just in his hip pocket every practice, every play.
Speaker 6: Right there, with every practice, man, I mean every practice, he acted him what he saw, how.
Speaker 7: He feel and and uh I love it.
Speaker 6: Dak take off, Jog and when Dak take off, John and Coach is kind of you know, a real fast behind.
Speaker 7: Him and left.
Speaker 5: He didn't want them seguys like Dion got you know, he didn't get with him.
Speaker 7: Hold on, hold on.
Speaker 3: All right, nay.
Speaker 6: I remember the first day he tried to job. The first day he tried to jog with him and down, so he just waved his head like.
Speaker 7: Shot shot. Way.
Speaker 4: Oh well, Date, this has been great man. You're gonna come back Friday, Friday and talk to us.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Jessic should be out here soon, so we should have half.
Speaker 5: Yeah, then you had. I'm trying to get out next week.
Speaker 3: Next week, all right, well cool, when hurdle, I'll be.
Speaker 5: A little bavie. I'll be like Tuesday, Monday, Thursday.
Speaker 7: Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 3: All right, Nate, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Jesse awesome. Thanks for showing up.
Speaker 4: Thanks for being here, Nate, thanks for calling in, brother Will.
Speaker 5: Thanks you give us a fist bunk, thanks.
Speaker 3: For getting us up on me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they give us a fifth buck.
Speaker 5: Look at that. Look at.
Speaker 4: Those are some Those are some ripping adventure.
Speaker 6: Eat when you when you cook your fried chicken and put it in flow.
Speaker 5: Look at keeping us on the air.
Speaker 3: Thanks to everybody in the back. Thanks for everybody in the studio.
Speaker 4: We will be back on Friday, same time, same place, and another one hundred plus degree day here in Dallas. Nate in his little seventy degree hut out there in Knoxnard. We'll see you Friday.
Speaker 3: This has been another episode I Hang with the Boys Well.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.