Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from the heart of Silicon Valley with Ed Ludlow in Van Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech. I'm Tim Steneveek in for Ed Ludlow. Coming up on the program. Open AI is on track to generate annualized revenue more than forty billion dollars. That's roughly doubling its run rate from the end of twenty twenty five. Plus, a new city bill backed by Mayor Ziorron Mamdani, calls for Amazon to directly employ their delivery workers. What will Amazon do if the bill passes? We discuss and Meta's former chief AI scientist is joining a new venture firm to invest in AI startups. We'll be joined by the firm's leader, Sean Johnson. Well, let's start with today's big number, and that is forty billion dollars. Open a eyes on track to January analyzed revenue that tops that number. That's, according to sources, that would roughly double its run rate from the end of twenty twenty five. I want to bring in Bloomberg's AI reporter Rachel Matt who broke this story. Rachel, what specific products are driving this annualized revenue run rate that is such a jump from last year.
Speaker 3: So according to what we've we've been told in our reporting is actually kind of a range of things. The company's consumer business is still by far its largest business, and they recently announced that they had passed this one billion active weekly user mark, which they've been pushing toward for a long time. So they've got more paying users on the consumer side. They also have a lot more businesses that are using it, and this is driven in some part by Codex, which is its coding assistant.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we can't talk about this as open air in a vacuum. How does it compare to what the latest is from Anthropic, it's chief rival.
Speaker 3: I mean, they've been that sort of neck and neck in a way. Okay, I hate to say like it's one versus the other, because I think that it's like much much bigger and broader than that, And there are a lot of companies here in this ecosystem, but I think Inthropic definitely has proved over the last year or so that they're a really handy rival to this company, and they have especially on the coding front. They in some ways really outpaced open Ai. But Opening Eye is showing us as revenue is going up that customers are also willing to pay for its products as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're talking top line here, Do we know anything about the bottom line and what expenses are and and cost of revenue here and what it's spending.
Speaker 3: Ooh, We're still looking into that as far as like specific numbers, but what we do know generally, and I feel like we've we've talked about this so many times. Yes, and it's so frustrating, but it's the same thing over and over.
Speaker 4: Compute is really expensive.
Speaker 5: It costs a lot.
Speaker 3: Open Ai has worked very hard to a mass a war chest essentially of computing power, and it has that at its disposal. And yet the company also will still say that its biggest obstacle is getting enough compute. But that is going to take up a huge chunk of any revenue that it brings in. So other than that, it's obviously that's probably by far its largest extense.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Rachel Mettz out there on the West coast. Rachel, thanks for the update. We're going to keep asking you those questions about top and bottom lines at these companies. Appreciate your time well. Strategists that City Group and Bank of America are finding that the Chips Index is in quote bubble land after it rose over too standard deviations above its long term trends in real terms, as risks develop in the AI trade. Our next guest argues that early winners aren't necessarily winners forever, and early winner Nvidia.
Speaker 4: Is at the center of it all.
Speaker 2: Grenadilla, advisory founder at DOO Anna Rathbund, joins us now. And you talk about this quote duration mismatch between the realities of AI infrastructure and investor expectations.
Speaker 4: How do you quantify that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, we're looking at quarter to quarter numbers, and perhaps that's not the right timeframe, even though that's what we're used to as equity investors. The hyperscalers and semiconductor companies are telling us, you know, look out to twenty twenty seven, twenty eight, twenty nine. I mean, they're really they're issuing bonds that go all the way out to twenty sixty six. I'm not saying that we have to wait until twenty twenty six, but we definitely have a mismatch in expectations of when we might actually see return on some of these investments. The revenue expectations that are being promised years out, they have to be able to meet it years out, and that takes a lot of investment today in numbers that we're totally not used to, right, So I think we have to we have to sort of adjust our expectations to be a little bit more longer term focused than we are today.
Speaker 4: Okay, but how how longer term?
Speaker 2: I mean, at least what we're talking about memory makers, we still hear about twenty thirty over and over again. I mean the visibility quarter to quarter is I think tough for a lot of people to comprehend. How much time do we have to wait?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's the uncertainty, right And that's why you see the volatility in the markets, And that's basically investors expressing that uncertainty. The answer, I think is we don't really know, and I'm not entirely sure that the hyperscalers know either. Right now, they are in an existential race. Let's capture that future compute that we get to sell by building data centers and buying in video chips and perhaps making our own chips. And that is I think how the industry is changing, and frankly, we have.
Speaker 4: To wait and see a sort of field of dreams.
Speaker 2: If we build it, they will come maybe okay, maybe, Well we'll help us envision that future and what it looks like. Because there's the conversation too happening where there's no guarantee on this ROI. Do you buy into that or do you think that there will be an ROI.
Speaker 5: On this I think there will be an ROI on it.
Speaker 6: I mean, And this is the other expectation that we have perhaps misplaced, is the level of compute.
Speaker 5: Right overall investors.
Speaker 6: Are we're used to looking at the last twenty years of Internet and cloud growth, etc. At the AI level, the sophistication of these models, and just how much compute that it takes. I'm not entirely sure the market has digested it, and that's why there's so much money going into it.
Speaker 5: I do believe that we will see the ROI.
Speaker 6: It's just as you mentioned before, it's the timing is uncertain, and that's why we have to take a long term view.
Speaker 4: Are in your view?
Speaker 2: Are we talking about the right names? Are we looking at the right names at least on the public equity side. We're going to talk to some venture capitalists later a little later this hour. You know, they're thinking about it from the perspective of Okay, what are the early companies now we should be investing in. But you focus on public markets. Are we talking about the right names here?
Speaker 6: I think those are the names that we have to talk about because that's where the spend is coming from, that's where the circular financing is, that's where the debt issuance is coming from. And so if you are a public market investors, those names you do have to pay attention to. Now, what we have discovered in the last two or three years is that sometimes names come up out of nowhere, out of the left field in terms of being in the front line of AI. So until we see those names, I think we are focusing on the names that we see today. But we do have to think about the risks. You mentioned Nvidia earlier, it was an early winner. Now everyone is making their own chips. What does that mean for Nvidia? Now Corewave is actually dependent on Nvidia and their debt is actually collateralized by Nvidia chips.
Speaker 5: What does that mean for Nvidia?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think we have to look at it differently, give it a second look in the same names that we all talk about today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we'll find out a couple of weeks what Nvidia says August twenty six is when they're scheduled to report their most recent quarter. And before we let you go, you mentioned circular financing. Certainly that gets a lot of attention, but increasingly we're hearing about concentration risks and worries that some of these hyperscalers are really have two customers, anthropic and open AI. What's your view on concentration risk.
Speaker 6: Yeah, concentration risk is something that these companies need to work on. I mean, we heard from Cerebras saying that they actually have a huge concentration risk, right, But they're actually new to the public markets. So I think we're going to have to expect that to reduce the risk. If at least they're not going to be able to tell us when we're going to get the ROI tell us that they are actually reducing the risk on their business side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I guess the question that I have is who would take the place of those large customers at this point?
Speaker 5: Well, right, and that's is Algeum this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the conundrum of the circular financing, right, because you know, it takes so much capital and size in order to build this AI ecosystem that there are a few players, right, and so I mean, I think we're going to be able to see in about a year or two. I mean, we have the hyperscalers trying to reduce their dependence on the number one supplier, and I think the companies are going to continue to make those innovative changes to their business model. And so this is, unfortunately is also a wait and see because of the nature of the AI ecosystem and how much money it takes to build it out.
Speaker 4: MANA.
Speaker 2: Rathbund of Grenadilla Advisory joining us this morning on Bloomberg Tech. Anna, thanks so much, do appreciate your time.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Coming up, applied Materials beats expectations investors, though, oh they're not so impressed. Shares down by about four point six percent right now. We're going to break down the chip equipment giants outlook next. I'm also watching shares a broadcom that owns VMware. Shares a broadcom down this morning, trading and dragging the S and P five hundred lower. It follows a report that VMware security vulnerability being actively exploited across several countries. Broadcom shares off their worse levels, but still down five point three percent. This is Bloomberg Tech. AMD has raised four point seventy five billion dollars in its biggest ever US dollar bond sale. It joins a wave of borrowing tied to the AI boom, the chip maker ramping up spending as demand for computing capacity surges. AD says the proceeds will be used for general corporate purposes, potentially including debt repayment, with eight hundred and seventy five million dollars.
Speaker 4: Of bonds due next month.
Speaker 2: A Fly Materials delivered a better than expected forecast investors. Though hard to impress, it's the biggest US chip maker of equipment, I should say. It says that customers are pushing it to ramp up production even faster. Bloomberg's I and King covers all things semiconductors, and he joins US now.
Speaker 4: Ian SO shares.
Speaker 2: We're up about one hundred and eight percent going into this print yesterday. Expectations fair to say, we're pretty high. Looks like a pretty good print across the board. What are investors upset.
Speaker 7: About Yeah, whether the actually upset about buy anything in particular isn't really clear. I Mean, all of the numbers look very clean, but really what we've got is yet another case of a company comes out and says, hey, guess what our innings are going to be hundreds of millions of dollars better than you had expected. And the reaction they get is, yeah, great, we know that. What are you going to do for us next And so a lot of the conversation on the call was about next year.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, let's talk about that, because the question that I think a lot of people have is about how this firm is somewhat of a barometer for the entire industry. Can you talk a little bit about visibility that we got from applied Materials into what the rest of the year and what next year looks like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, that's a very good question, and this is one of the reasons why you would concentrate on a company that does something a little bit more esoteric. So what the CEO told us in a conversation, you know after the numbers hit, was look, I've got eight quarters of guidance from my customers because it takes so long to make this equipment, to then ship it, to then install it and get it up and running in these factories. You know, we have to plan over the horizon and guess what, they're giving me even more visibility than they normally would. So he's saying, look, next year, things are going to get better. So the call was all about, well, how much better? Tell us exactly how much better? And you know he's saying, look a lot better. So I don't really know what more of a conversation, well that you could have as a management team at this point, Ian.
Speaker 2: Before we let you go, we have thirty seconds. You've been doing this a long time and covering these types of companies a long time through different cycles, So I'm just curious contextualize the moment for us. Have you seen anything like this?
Speaker 7: Never the extent that we are, you know, sort of getting in front of ourselves and projecting growth. We've never seen anything like this. We've seen ups and downs with a fool, but never anything to this extent.
Speaker 2: Ian King, It's always great to chat with you. Thanks for getting up early. Do appreciate that's Ian King out in our San Francisco bureau. Well Chinese aifirm z dot Ai is upgrading its flagship model as it looks to close the gap with US rivals Open Ai and Anthropic. The new GLM five point three will focus on stronger coding capabilities and stronger performance gains over its previous model. The company plans to release the new LLM weights within two weeks, allowing developers to download and customize it. Sanford's AI Index finds a striking divide and attitudes toward AI in China in the US. But the question what's driving that gap and could China's enthusiasm give its AI industry and edge. Bloomberg's minmen Low explaance.
Speaker 8: This Stanford University AI Index shows that more than eighty percent of Chinese are optimistic towards AI, compared to less than forty percent in the US. And Edelmann has a similar survey showing the same trend that more than seventy percent of Chinese trusts AI compared to less than forty percent in the US. And again, why is there such a huge gulf in attitudes between Chinese and Americans? One reason could be people's experience with technology in China over the last two decades. It's still in a rapid development phase, and people's experience of tech is one of empowerment and transformation. We're talking about rural residents getting to sell their goods through e commerce channels, elite frogging credit cards to become a cashless society, experiencing the convenience of door to door delivery and very cheap efficient logistics for example. But in the US that's already a norm, right. People are familiar with big box retail, they have reliable mail, and the experience of the tech explosion has been one of addiction, data privacy, violation, over concentration of power in big tech. So that's one reason, and the other concern is around whether there is enough guard rails that has been put in place. And in China, these tech films are still under the thumb of the government. They're constantly worried about crackdowns. And when the government pushed this Common Prosperity campaign, tech films were rushing to pledge billions of un to support that. While in the US it's a different story where you have a revolving door where tech executives raise funds to run political campaigns, where billions are being poured into lobbying. So again that concern around guard rails and there's just not enough trust that the government is protecting the interests of residents. So why does this matter When some people are more willing to try new technology? That means market adoption rate can be much faster. And while China legs behind in some of the foundational technology like the chips and the hardware, Chinese firms could have an advantage in having that more futile ground to test new products and to allow much faster adoption of new AI products. Mimnlo Bloomboo News, Hong Kong.
Speaker 2: Well so breaking news crossing the Bloomberg terminal. Luigi Mangioni to plead guilty to killing of healthcare CEO. Once again, Luigi Mangioni to plead guilty to US charges. This according to Luigi Mangione's lawyer, will continue to bring you updates on that story as it continues to break well. Staying with China's Ai boom, Deepseek is sharply raising prices for its flagship V four models. Peak hour rates will more than quadruple starting August sixteenth. This is the startup prepares for a potential IPO and puts greater focus on profitability. Even after the hike, deeps Seek says its models remains significantly cheaper than major rivals. Well, coming up, how close are we really to a world full of humanoid robots? We've got some answers. Next, this is Bloomberg. The promise of embodied AI think humanoid robots, drones, autonomous vehicles seems to be coming into its own and increasingly entering the real world. Bloomberg Tech Europe's Tom McKenzie spoke with Google Deep Mind set of Robotics Carolina Parata about whether physical AI is finally having its quote chat GPT moment.
Speaker 9: I would say not yet, but you can see it. You can see it, and you can see the lights. In my opinion depends what you call the TGIC moment for robotics. In my opinion of ChiPT moment for robotics would be one where everybody can experience what it's like to interact with the robot, and the robot responds to what you want, and that's what you want in a completely new environment or a completely new setting. So that's what it means to me. I don't think we're there yet, but we're getting there.
Speaker 4: What gets us there?
Speaker 10: What are the technological barriers that need to be overcome to get to that point?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean this is precisely what we're invested on. So our goal is to build the intelligence layer that can power any robot and make it really intelligent, so that it's includive for humans to use, so that it can do a broad range of tasks, so that it can make the robot smart enough to understand an environment, reason about it, and then take action to complete a completely new task that you might have asked to do. That's what we're going after. I think that this is there's been significant progress over the last three four years. I mean, before robots didn't even understand what an object was and what their environment that were just simply the points in space without any meaning. We've actually introduced around if you need to lllms and blms into robots that taught them but naturally like understand to understand natural language. It also taught them how the reason about their environment and then how do you take action in a way that was touris a particular semantic task or a particular meaningful task for the robot that didn't exist before.
Speaker 10: Humanoids get a lot of headlines, they get a lot of pause. Do you think that's distracting? Do you think investors, the media, others. Do you think we're still overly obsessed with humanoids.
Speaker 9: That's a great question. I mean, we be live in a world where there will be many different robotypes. I actually think I'm very practical about this. I think that there's going to be a lot of tasks where a different form factor that is not a humanoid is the right thing. However, I do think humanoids are going to become useful and they are going to be an important form factor for a few reasons. First, I think the world is made for humans. So if you want to immediately deploy a robot in an environment that is human centric, then a humanoid is probably going to be an easy one to deploy. Actually, there's an interesting research aspect to this, which is if we want robots to learn from humans and the robot has a human form factor, it's actually easier because it can now translate what the human is doing when it's say cooking a recipe, into what the robots should do in order to do the same task. So that's a learning perspective that I find interesting. And then The other piece is that my goal is to really show that we can get to AGA in the physical world. What does that mean. It really means that the robot can do anything the human can. So I feel like humanoids are going to enable us to show and really believe that we have gotten to that level. So that is another reason why I like it. But we care about all kinds of robots, and we're interested in enabling bringing intelligence to all robots.
Speaker 2: That was Google d minds Carolina Parata speaking with Bloomberg's Tom McKenzie. You can check out the full interview in the latest episode of Bloomberg Tech Europe as Tom looks into whether we are on the cusp of a robot reality. You can find it on YouTube and Bloomberg dot Com. Well, let's take a look at more at tex stories with Bloomberg's You Hire annd Now You Hire a Take it away?
Speaker 11: Hi, Tim, It's time now for talking tech. First up, Francis Highest Court blocked a ban on social media for children under the age of fifteen, calling the ruling unconstitutional for harming youth's freedom of speech and communication. It really shows how global efforts to ban kids from social media are crashing into major legal and technical roadblocks, plus Nintendo climbs as much as seven and a half percent in Tokyo Today, following the success of its hit game Pokemon Poco Pia, the Nintendo Switch games global sales topped five million units since it launched back in March. Shares are on course for their third weekly gained the longest winning streak since November, and a judge ordered Calshe to stop offering some wagers in Washington States after regulators said the prediction markets app likely constituted an illegal gambling operation. Calshey's head of enforcements, Robert Deno, spoke on Bloomberg Surveillance earlier today.
Speaker 12: The exchange model operates differently than a sportsbook model. A sportsbook profits every time somebody walks in and puts up money. If they lose, the sportsbook wins all that money. An exchange model is fundamentally different. What you're doing is pairing users who are setting the price amongst each other in an order book that is open, impartial, and fair and available nationwide, and operating in exchange that fits that framework requires federal regulation.
Speaker 4: Well coming up.
Speaker 2: Cornell University is Director of Labor Education Research Kate Bronfrean Brenner joins us to discuss New York's battle with Amazon over its delivery workers.
Speaker 4: This is a Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: I'm also watching shares of Micron and sand Disc as we speak. Right now, shares of Micron are higher Pierre farragu over at New Street Research, upgrading the stock to buy from neutral. He writes, even with strong share price appreciation, the company is attractively valued based on a metric a price to cost a good sold. Micron shares were hired earlier, but still up one point three percent. Sand Disc also surging today, up close to six percent. But take surging with a grain of salt. I mean shares of sand Disc this year, they are up close to six hundred percent, up five point eight percent right now. JP Morgan assigned an overweight rating following the firm's investor Day. Remember share surge fourteen percent yesterday. We're talking Amazon, and we are talking labor, specifically when it comes to how those packages get to people in New York City. That's coming next on Bloomberg Tech. Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. Let's take a look at the Nasdaq this week. We did see the s and P five hundred hit a new all time high this week. The Nasdaq GOO, even though it's up over the last five days about eight tenths of one percent, underperforming at least the recent high of the S and P five hundred. The decline in retail sales that we got this morning means that bets are increasing that the FED is going to hold rates in September, meaning a lot can happen between now and the next policy meeting, but at least for now, there's less of a risk that the FED actually raises rates at its September meeting. We'll wait to hear what Chair Warsh says, of course, at Jackson Hole a little later this month.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: A new bill back by New York City Mayor Zoron Mamdani threatens Amazon's chief delivery model. If the Delivery Protection Act passes, the e commerce giant may pull up stakes and make all New York City deliveries from hubs outside city limits. But Bloomberg Spencer Soper writes in Today's Tech and Death newsletter, proponents of the bill say Amazon can't abandon the city because that would lengthen delivery times, which it is perpetually trying to shorten. We're now joined by Cornell University's Director of Labor Education and Research and senior lecture Kate Bronfinbrenner, to help us make sense of it all. Kate, I just want to start with the way that traditionally delivery companies have involved humans in that last mile. What have they done in terms of a structure to you know, employ them or not directly employ them.
Speaker 13: So the delivery service model is one where the companies try to distance themselves as much as possible from the workers and responsibility for the workers and the liability for the actions of the delivery drivers and the vans. It allows them to exploit the workers and deny responsibility for accidents, traffic problems, worker health and safety issues in to pay workers and lower wages and lower benefits than they otherwise would.
Speaker 2: This is distinctive from let's say UPS, for example, which is known for having a strong union and directly employing those UPS drivers and UPS delivery workers that you see delivering packages.
Speaker 5: Correct, exactly.
Speaker 13: These companies are trying to say they're not join employers, they're not responsible, they you know, they can't be unionized. Very different from UPS and much much more dangerous working conditions and much more less liability for the actions of the delivery service providers.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about this Delivery Protection Act, because the folks who say, you know, if this passes and Amazon has to directly employ delivery workers who deliver packages within the city, then Amazon's going to just, you know, move town over to New Jersey or something and employ workers there or get deliveries made from there. Then they want to have to adhere to this. Is that a realistic concern that the city should have.
Speaker 13: First of all, that is a decision, that's a choice that Amazon would make. Obviously, Amazon is making huge profits, some of one of the most profitable companies in the history of the world. They definitely can afford to do better by their workers, and their whole system is designed to get things to people fast, faster and faster and faster to same day delivery.
Speaker 5: It is not in.
Speaker 13: Their interests to move outside the city, and they don't. The amount of extra money it's going to cost them is just a tiny fraction of the amount of profits billions of billions of dollars of profits they make each year.
Speaker 2: Do you think, though, that the Delivery Protection Act is the right approach to this.
Speaker 13: Well, at a time where we really can rely on the federal government less and less to protect workers and to protect consumers, many organizations are turning to states and cities in order to provide regulation that our federal government is no longer providing. There have been a dramatic increase in the number of accidents. There are eighteen DSPs in the New York City area and then seventy eight percent of the communities in New York City accent crashes with injuries have risen, and you know these are serious accidents. Worker safety has gone down, worker pay and benefits have gone down. So you know, the City of New York is committed to improving the status of the working class in the city. Mondani has made that very clear, and this is a step in that direction. But New York is not a loons. Cities and states across the country you're realizing that they have to take over what the federal government did in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm coming to you from New York. And the scale here of the package delivery is actually just completely unbelievable. I mean, Spencer, our colleague Spencer Soper, in his newsletter, writes about two and a half million packages delivered every single day in New York City. A third of the people who live here are getting a package each day.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can see these.
Speaker 2: Trucks that are outside of our office.
Speaker 4: Here and they're just loaded. The entire the.
Speaker 2: Entire tractor trailer is loaded with packages to be delivered.
Speaker 4: And that's just in Midtown.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering about companies that are not Amazon here, Kate if obviously Amazon's the eight hundred tunkerrilla in the in the room, but a lot of things come from other companies, would this affect other companies too.
Speaker 13: Well? Right now, Amazon kind of sets the standard because it's so big, So what it does, everybody else has to do. So if Amazon has to treat its workers better, it will make it easier for the other companies to keep treat their workers better and be competitive. Amazon has to, like all the companies now, are going to have to get licensed by the Consumer and Worker Protection Bureau, which is going to track labor and employment violations and consumer violations. So if companies do right and follow the law, they will be able to get licensed regularly. Amazon will not be able to be an outlaw just ignoring every regulation as it has in the past.
Speaker 2: Can you just can you explain why, like I understand the idea of these delivery service partners, these DSPs, why you know, maybe the wages wouldn't as high and the benefits wouldn't be as good as if they were, you know, as opposed to working directly for for Amazon, But can you explain why conditions will be safer for them and why you think there would be fewer accidents if they were employed directly by a big company.
Speaker 13: Because right now, the big companies are not liable if there's an accident. So even though we all know that those drivers are work for Amazon, they're wearing Amazon uniforms, the roots are set by Amazon. They're hiring so is overseen by Amazon. Their hours are seen by Amazon. But Amazon right now does not have to take responsibility if there is an accident or if their drivers are being pressured to on production productivity so that they have to drive so fast that.
Speaker 5: They are breaking the laws.
Speaker 13: But if Amazon is then responsible and can't get a license renewed to be a delivery provider, then it's going to make conditions safer, consumers more protected, and enforce the laws of the city. When it comes to traffic accidents.
Speaker 2: Kate rofren Renner, appreciate your time this afternoon or this morning, I should say, joining us over at Cornell University, Kate, appreciate it well. Watching shares of Reddit, they're surging this morning, up fourteen percent. This after the company we learned yesterday is set to join the S and P five hundred.
Speaker 4: Look at that.
Speaker 2: It's going to replace Avalon Bay Communities that's being acquired by Equity Residential. Now this is a big deal because now passive investment funds have to buy shares of Reddit.
Speaker 4: So that's why.
Speaker 2: Inclusion these days in an increasingly passive world is just becoming more and more important.
Speaker 4: Four companies.
Speaker 2: Here's a Reddit down by about twenty percent this year, up today by just about fourteen percent.
Speaker 4: Coming up.
Speaker 2: Sean Johnson joins US general partner over at two twenty four Ventures. He's going to talk to us about launching the new firm with AI heavyweights. This includes Jan lucun An oriole Vin y'alls. This is Bloomberg Tech. Dry Capital is seeing a massive payoff from its early bets on AI. Josh Kushner's twenty twenty two venture fund has grown more than sevenfold to three point seven billion dollars. It's been fueled by investments in companies including open Ai, SpaceX, and Anderil, Bloomberg's Natasha Mascarenas and joins us now for more. I guess does this answer some question about where money comes from to buy the Lakers for twelve billion dollars.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 14: We'll see, we'll see. We know that thrive is going to be putting some money into it. But yeah, the news that we broke last night gives us an answer on why Thrives approached for concentration in the top positions, and its portfolio is definitely making a difference. Like you said, the twenty twenty two fund is up about seven x from where LP's put in it just a few years ago. And I mean VC sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not Natasha.
Speaker 2: It's a great story, unfortunately having some problems with with your connection.
Speaker 4: It's a great story.
Speaker 2: On the Bloomberg trumbel and at Bloomberg dot com, congratulations on the scoop that's Natasha mos Garnis. Check it out on the Bloomberg terminal and at Bloomberg dot com. We'll sticking with AI and Venture Capital. Two twenty four Ventures is a new AI native venture for launch by former AIX Ventures co founder Sean Johnson, ex Google DeepMind researcher oriole Beniols, and AI pioneer Jan Lucun. The trio plans to make seed stage bets and launches with more than one hundred million dollars in assets under management and two twenty four ventures partner Sean Johnson joins us now, Sean, good to have you, congratulations on this news. I'm curious about what you see as sort of the white space out there in Silicon Valley and really the world when it comes to these AI bets.
Speaker 15: What are you thinking about, Tim, Thank you so much for having me. Yeah, white space is harder and harder to find, given I think since twenty twenty two, we've been operating in a fairly noisy market, many consensus bets years over years over the year. So what we're thinking about is what stories do founders come with that we actually believe our non consensus that are not obvious that you know, we walk away thinking, you know, maybe that's not right, But then after thinking about it, getting to know the founder more, we recognize that there are a series of things that could be proven to be true, that would change the world and make that company in fact a market leader.
Speaker 2: You know, so much of the oxygen at least in what we talk about in the massive valuations for two big firms Open Ai and Anthropic. Of course it's sucked up by that. And yet yesterday our Bloomberg News team, or well it was Wednesday night, had this just incredible scoop about Anthropic possibly making a six billion dollar acquisition. And it was funny because I think a lot of people who are outside the industry don't even necessarily know what the card Ai does. But it was a good example of sort of you know, the massive, the massive market, even at a level with a company that is worth like a trillion dollars in the private market. Right now, I'm curious what you see as the opportunities that are out there, like what exists in terms of tech in your view that five ten years will become the next open Ai or Anthropic.
Speaker 15: Yeah, of course, there's a massive opportunity in the future of work. We're just getting started there. How do we think about to date, we've been thinking a lot about chatbots. How do we think about AI actually doing jobs themselves and humans their laborers workers to say yes, that's right, No, that's incorrect. This is the very beginning of that. Robotics has both consumer and business applications, and business is wonderfully fragmented. There's a ton of white space there, and then infrastructure. When you think about what agents are going to need to do to be productive across applications, that infrastructure is just starting to be built out.
Speaker 2: I'm curious, from your view, are we having the right conversation when we talk about this idea of a zero sum game when it comes to productivity, Like you know, some people will become more productive, others will be completely replaced. From your perch as a venture capitalist who looks into this, is that the right conversation to be having.
Speaker 15: We believe it's not a zero sum games. As intelligence is proliferates through these applications, it's just the nature of our liabor is going to change. There are going to be many more jobs. They're just going to be different. They're going to be higher leverage. Frankly, they're going to be more engaging. And so we're excited about the future where AI is taking away the more mundane jobs humans are doing today and sort of levels us all.
Speaker 2: Up, So you're not concerned about like a wipeout of white collar jobs that Dario Amideoanthropic has talked about in the past.
Speaker 15: There's certainly going to be I would say a shift in jobs. There are going to be a movement from the more mundane to the less mundane, the more engaged, and I think that's what Dario's talking about. We're going to have to reskill, We're going to have to think about the implications for a large number of workers, but again that they are going to be additional jobs too, And the big question is how do we navigate the transition.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got a bunch of questions about the fundraising process and also about your partners at the firm. I want to start with fundraising. You're launching with one hundred million dollars. How difficult was it to raise that or how easy was it to raise that? I know it's never easy to raise money, but I think it seems like a lot of people want to invest in early stage companies out in Silicon Valley right now.
Speaker 15: We raised that capital across just two months, so it's so easy. It was fairly straightforward.
Speaker 2: Yes, what's the future capital raise schedule looking like, well, we think.
Speaker 4: The market's far bell.
Speaker 15: Do you see companies coming out and raising hundreds of millions billions to start? You also have companies that are raising just a few million to start. And we have a strategy that allows us to invest in both, and so we will on the more frontier side, we will continue continuously raise doing SPVs and co invest with our LPs, and then we have an open fund two at the early stage that allows us to invest in founders just getting started that are arguably more capital efficient.
Speaker 4: Are you looking right now?
Speaker 15: Geographically predominantly Silicon Valley, New York, Toronto, Paris, London, Tel Aviv are all very interesting hotspots for a AC.
Speaker 2: Is there no question that San Francisco is the leader right now?
Speaker 15: There's no question.
Speaker 2: What about versus China in the tech that we see coming out of China.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's arguably why we continue to see such a massive raises, so much capital come into the ecosystem. There are many geopolitical questions and issues I think that we're grappling with and trying to understand, and everyone wants to win, and so I think we have to be very mindful about enabling researchers from all over the world to come to the United States to push the frontier, to keep the United States at the bleeding edge is a top priority, Sean.
Speaker 2: You're launching this with a couple other huge names, ex. Google Deep Mind researcher Oriole being y'all's Jan mccun ai, pioneer people. People know Yahn's work in the space. What do they bring to the table when thinking about where to invest.
Speaker 15: Yeah, at the early stage, number one is community and access. Who do we know who can we interact with? You know, day zero, that's just starting to formulate an idea. And Yon and Oriole are embedded in the ecosystem. Yahan, of course executive chairman at Advanced Machine Intelligence, professor at n YU. Oriole just co founded Discovery Loop and former co lead of Gemini, So they're wonderfully connected. Dario, you brought up at Androvic, spend time in deep Mind. The Perplexity team came out of n y U h and so you're looking for wonderfully connected investors partners, and and Yan and Oriole.
Speaker 4: Are just that.
Speaker 2: On Johnson general partner at two two or Ventures joining us out there in Silicon Valley Sean, congrats and thanks so much for joining us on Bloomberg Tech. I want to get back to some more breaking news. Luigi Mangione has now formally pleaded guilty to US federal charges. His sentencing date now set for December eighteenth.
Speaker 4: This news comes as.
Speaker 2: A hearing is underway today with US District Judge Margaret Garnett, which was set after federal prosecutors and defense lawyers jointly requested one. The guilty pleague is the first admission of wrongdoing by Luigi Manngeon coming out. Podcaster Alex Cooper's beverage business is shutting down, highlighting the challenges that online creators face when expanding beyond content creation.
Speaker 4: We've got that story next. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Color Daddy hosts Alex Cooper's beverage business is shutting down. The drinks brand was launched by her company Unwell in partnership with Nesley last year, will cease production in the fall. According to sources, It comes on the heels of Unwell raising money at a five hundred million dollar valuation to support some of Cooper's other business lines beyond podcasting. Let's get more with Bloomberg's Ashley Carmen. She joins us here in New York. I'm a little out of the loop with the podcasting and the beverage side of things, but this was launched to a lot of fanfare, and she had a good reason to launch it. She said, you know, you didn't see the energy drink market catering at all to women. It was all aimed at men.
Speaker 4: What happened here, Yeah, she had us.
Speaker 16: All a pitch, you know, Alex's things. She's talking to gen Z women. She wanted to design drinks that were for gen Z women. But the reality is the beverage business is wildly competitive. I mean, Logan Paul is an example. He has an energy drink and a Chamberlain, a YouTuber, Hersell's a coffee line. These are just too off the top of my head of people who are trying to break into that business too, And it's just it's hard.
Speaker 4: You have to.
Speaker 16: Constantly remind people to keep buying your beverage, and if they're not feeling it, then that's why.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is a part of Alex Cooper's story and a part of Unwell, but the bigger context here is what happened and what is happening behind the scenes at the company right now.
Speaker 4: You've done a ton of reporting on this.
Speaker 16: Yes, So, I mean there's been a lot going on this year. First of all, just this week we learned that they raised money at a five hundred million sorry valuation for her company Unwell, which is our broader media company that she operates with her husband and business partner, Matt Kaplan. That came from Patrick Whitesell, a major Hollywood agent. Prior to that, I had reported earlier this year kind of what's been going on behind the scenes. So there's just been a ton of staff turnover, including executives. We did some reporting around how Matt has berated staff in the office, and really just this idea of trying to build a podcast network has kind of fallen flat. There really hasn't been any shows of hers beyond Call Her Daddy, which is what made her famous, that had broken through into the mainstream in a major way.
Speaker 2: And yet that five hundred million dollar funding round shows that there is confidence behind her and the brand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 16: I mean, she is a talent, of course, don't think anyone's denying that. It's just a question of Okay, where does your business go? From here beyond just you.
Speaker 4: So who else.
Speaker 2: Has been able to and we only about thirty seconds left, but what are examples of podcasters who've been able to take a brand that has a huge and loyal following and build it just beyond that podcast.
Speaker 16: It's been really difficult. I mean you see people like Joe Rogan, for example, who he has not hired a ton of people, He's not built a media company.
Speaker 4: He just likes podcasting.
Speaker 16: Yeah, he does his podcast. He makes plenty of money doing that. But then he's like opened a comedy club and seemingly that's doing really well. It just gets a little tricky when you start expanding your empire to bring on tons of employees and do a lot more.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's actually Carmen Herd reporting is fantastic and it's on the Bloomberg terminal, and it's Bloomberg dot com that is going to do it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. Check out our podcast. You can find it on the terminal as well as online at Apple, Spotify, and iHeart. Have a great weekend everyone, This is Bloomberg