Speaker 1: Hey, ba fan, Mandy here or Mandra you can call me Mandra and that's fine. I have a simple request for you, guys. We get so many questions on how you can support the show, and there's really a very very simple thing that we need you guys to do. Open up this app, open up wherever you're listening to this podcast right now, and subscribe if you have the ability, especially those of you who are on iTunes. We're really making a push to get the show more visible. You've seen that we've partnered with a fabulous new network called Westwood One. But we also need the support of our listeners. So if you are a listener, loyal listener, please subscribe, and if you haven't yet, take a few seconds and leave a five star review, and even a written review would be the icing on the cake. But at least subscribe, leave us a five star review, and continue to support the show. This is so so crucial. It is basically how we tell the Internet that our podcast is worth promoting and featuring and getting charted, and we deserve to be at the top of the charts, just like any other show out there. Can't do it without your support, So thank you very very much. Subscribe, like and review the show, and we thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Wait, we always die.
Speaker 1: Hi, somebody's tired.
Speaker 3: I'm like, hey, hey, hey we're back. We're black, we are brown, and so told that she hit me up like one of our listeners.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember when we had well, of course, I'm sure you remember. We had our dinner, like you know, like our one year anniversary.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes we did. We got like what did we do? We had maybe ten Brown Ambition listeners meet us in New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was someone's fun friend.
Speaker 1: That food was delicious, yeah, peel peal.
Speaker 2: Yes. And so one of the young women who came in Zinga, she like hit me on soul. So she was like, girl, you are overworking yourself to the bone. I need you to take one step, two step, three steps back. And so we actually we ended up chatting on the phone. It was just everything and so thanks, shout out to you and sing thank you so much. I needed that. Like she was like, I saw your last video, your last live you look like a walking dead. Basically I was like, wow, I have to go back and look at it. I was like wow, you know, and she's just like, you're doing too bad. So yeah, it was just like kind of like the like the shake up that I needed. So I was like, one more thing I can add, I can add more on no bicky. But yeah, so that's how you can tuse. I was like, wait, what do we open with? But let's get right into the souluce. I heard you had some tay.
Speaker 1: Some tea. Yeah, well, I mean we spill the tea last week and the response to last week's show, I think it was twofold one. It was the Dave Ramsey read the episode. Oh I said his name? Oh no, he who must not be named the read I and I was just telling Tiffany, you know, we'd kind of steer away from the topic of dr he just it's almost like that thing that we both know. You know, he's trash. Do we really need to say it out loud? We all know. But there's still so many of his fans and I have I had friends that I don't I have friends who are involved with their churches who I didn't know were such Dave Ramsey fanatics. And there are still a lot of people following him who don't know about all of his foolishness. So we talked about last week the Fox News interview where he went on there and put his whole foot in his mouth talking about although he would never say that, in fact, he's doubled down on the statement that he made that of course he has about how if you need a six hundred dollars or fourteen hundred dollars stimulus check, then your life you were basically screwed quote unquote before you know, way before you ever needed the government's handout. And we talked about that last week and since then, I think I had not seen this article, and Tiff, had you've seen this article, the one that came out in the January.
Speaker 2: Somebody you know heard our podcast and someone actually they sent it to me via DM was like, girl heard you, guys heard you Amandra on Bran Ambition. You need to read this. And I was like, what it was? Go ahead, tell the people about this article.
Speaker 1: I don't even know where to start. We're going to post a link, but if you if you wanted to send this to the loved one in your life to just help them see the error of their ways or help them see who he really is. This article is from a site called religious news dot Com and not only is the article worth reading, but they actually published the Dave Ramsey pr team's full response to the article, and it was hard. Oh you got to click. There's a link in the article. His team's response will tell you everything you need to know about the Dave Ramsey what is it called, Dave Ramsey Solutions company. It was mind blowingly, it was sarcastic, it was rude, it was disrespectful, and it just reminded me so much of the Trump administration and how they responded to anything that was, you know, short of overt just you know, anything that wasn't a Fox News like love fest. They would respond with bullying and with derision and and attack you know, reporters. And the scathing response from his team was just it was it was beyond the pale. It was insane. But the article itself the reason they were so mad, I mean it it talks about so Dave Ramsey. He you know, Dave Ramsey Solutions. His corporation consists of so much more than just his talk show. He's got you know, Financial Peace University, which that's the that's the financial education like course that he has gotten to be taught in all these churches across the country. Right, it's like a nine week course or something. On top of that, he sells financial products. He has like you know, he has this a team of of of deputized Dave ramsiers and and you know they sell a lot more than just Dave Ramsey the talk show. They really like evangelize his followers and to actually work in Dave Ramsey, as this article says. According to the article, they have to interview your spouse because your spouse has to be of you know, of Christian faith and not just like Christian faith. They actually have a moral code of ethics like at the company, and if they find you stepping a toe out of line, they can just fire you, apparently, and they have yes. So one woman, the story that got me the most was the one woman who she asked for maternity leave benefits under the federal the FMLA, the Federal Medical Leave Act. She asked for her maternity benefits and they said, no, you are not married. And by the way, you're fired because you had pre marital sex. They fired, like that's the thing that they can do. Somehow. They fired her. They fired someone else because his wife posted in a Facebook group that she was concerned because his company, Dave Ramsey, was asking hundreds of employees to get back to work very soon after the pandemic broke out. He was he was right there alongside Trump talking about how it was just gonna be a blip, don't worry, nothing to be concerned about. If you don't come to work, then you're a woos you know, like literally saying those words literally. And what was the thing about the gun? What did he was he waving a gun sound for?
Speaker 2: Yes? It was so some people created because they're like afraid of him. Some people created secret Twitter accounts to like complain, and he was like offering like people like rewards if you would out whoever had these Twitter accounts complaining about And then he's like, I hate gossips. And I guess at one of their like you know, all all team meetings, and whipped out a gun to to illustrate how much he hates gossips. I'm like, Yo, here's the thing. I don't I don't know why do y'all let people talk to you crazy? You know what I mean? Like that's I don't know. I mean, I guess we've all been there, Lord knows, I've been there. But like This is supposed to be a play place of service and kindness, I would think, but to have people talk to you crazy. I'm not talking about like these people who work there, because I know obviously some people are like I need to feed my family. But I'm saying with taking advice from someone who talks to you crazy when there are other places that you can take advice from. That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I just why choose him? Choose?
Speaker 2: Yes, why why choose him? Because here's the thing. I'm not saying all his all his advice is not the worst, but there are some advice that's so bad. Like one of his advice is that not to contribute to retirement Mandy, unless you paid off all your debt. What in the terrible losing out including your mortgage?
Speaker 1: Interesting, Like he's he's very hell bent on you not having a mortgage. Yes, I just.
Speaker 2: I And you know what, it would be sad. It would be funny if it wasn't sad. Because there was a woman in my comments who was going I posted this thing that debt free doesn't go wealth and that that deafree shouldn't be your focus, that it should be to grow wealth, and then wealth will help with your debt freedom. And she was like in my comments, like, oh, you're wrong. I followed Dave Ramsey method and I finally paid off my house and now I could start setting aside for retirement. And I was like, well, you miss out, you know, if you don't do that. She'said, well, you know at she was like forty seven, fifty years old. My heart sunk for her. I said, wait a minute, you haven't. You haven't said aside for retirement yet, and she said, well, it took me a long time to pay off my house. I was like, honestly, I'm I said, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but you've lost that on like thirty years of compounding interest toward toward taking care of your older self. You've got fifteen more years to put aside everything you've got toward time. What kind of life is that?
Speaker 1: I just it was fine for him to file bankruptcy, though, and to step away from his DUTs, to use our legal system in his own favor, as so many Americans do. He uses shame. It's all about shame, and it's about it's an abusive it's very toxic and abusive to kind of to create the sense that you're doing it wrong, you need to do it this way. He himself, as you pointed out last week, that you know, did the same thing. He's a huge, huge hypocrite. And but the thing is, it's the religious element for me. I mean that is his audience, right, I mean he sees himself as this like financial messiah in a way. And I think people who are prone to follow any you know, to follow a religion in general, like you, you have to put your faith into something that And I'm not I personally, I am not incredibly religious. I'm from the South, I've you know, I had my feelings about religion. But in general, you know, any religion across the board, you have to put your faith into higher power and you have to accept certain beliefs and accept certain stories in order to like you have to accept a level of truth about the religion that you're entering it. And they all tell a story. You accept that version of the story. You say, I am this religion. And I think that that type of you know, profile is a little bit they're more willing to, you know, put their faith in like you said, the one person and can you talk about Tiffany because I actually I sat in on one of your many lives that we you know, one of your jillion lives that you do on Insta because you're not busy enough. And I think you reminded me of one of the things that you always say is you're not a fan of gurus, you know, like Dave. So do you want to talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm not a fan of financial gurus or gurus in general. And now, from what I understand, the actual I'm not sure if gurus a Hindi word, but what it's supposed to mean from my understanding is it's supposed to mean teacher, not messiah. But we in the Western world tend to use guru as like you are the messiah. You are the go to for all things. Here's why I don't like because one person cannot possibly know all aspects of a particular topic. So like, for example, right, so if you think personal finance, you think insurance, estate planning, investing, budgeting, savings, credit. So if you think of all of those things, having someone be an expert in all ten components of something that I call financial hollness. My obligatory push from my book, get good with money available at getgodmney dot com. So but all you can't possibly be the super pro in all those things. I actually encourage people. Don't come to me for everything. You know, Get some of this from me, Get some of this from Nativa, Get some of this from Sandy, some of this from ash Cash, some of this from Earn Your Leisure, some of this from Kevin, some of this from Tila and Courtney, And I encourage that because then when something is incongruent, when you're like hum I heard Tiffany say this, but I feel like Kevin said this, that you can make decisions that are in alignment with you and your goals, you are able to think more critically. I don't want anyone to follow me blindly. You should be questioning me and everyone that you're listening to, because you're supposed to be practicing discernment, especially financial discernment. So that's why I always say I'm not your financial guru, I'm your financial girlfriend. Because when you have a guru, they like for example, dr might be really good at teaching you how to budget and safe. That's great, but he's the same person that's also told you now until you pay off your mortgage, don't set aside for your older self. So when you're eating cat food and he's living high off the heart because that man's business is worth well over four hundred million dollars, right, so he's not gonna come save.
Speaker 1: You way if you need his saving, then you got something wrong with you, right exactly.
Speaker 2: So it just goes to show them like if you Because one thing I don't like is that if you ever join one of those groups, the dr groups, if you even say you know, I think if you just like dissent in any way, they attack you. What level of Christianity is that? Well, you can't say, you know, I'm feeling something different. It just is baffling to me. But I don't say I try not to understand it because I'm just like whatever, I'm not here to save everyone. I'm here to help those who you know, would like to like to try something different, and to expose you to other people that have barrier levels of expertise in different topics. That's why I partner so much. But yeah, I don't believe in financial gurus. I believe that you should be looking for a myriad of teachers. If one person had all the answers. Then you would go to college and never switch classes, right like, and you would just have this one professor also teaches psychology, oh and statistics, oh and human you know, human anatomy, oh and your English class. Like that's just not how that works, because you know, the human brain is only capable of so much and so like, I just think that I want you to democratize how you get financial education so you can develop discernment, because one person cannot possibly have all the answers. And if someone shames you and tries to instill fear and blame because you are asking questions, you know, because you don't follow blindly, you know, that should be a real a huge red flag that a human being wants you to follow them blindly, you know, like this is not your parent, you know. And even then, ideally parents should not be looking for their children to follow them blindly, but a random person that's control. If you've had that article, please the Lincoln's in our description of this this podcast, read that article. You are going to be horrified. I actually gave him too much credit. I was like, oh my gosh, I did too.
Speaker 1: I honestly did. I had respect, you know, there definitely was respect and then respect of a journalist because that's my background. I'm always like, okay, listen, like that's his point of view. You know, I'm gonna have different voices in my articles and talk to other people. And I just kind of put him aside. But I yeah, he truly has infiltrated so deeply any any personal find Anyone who's ever got educated about personal finance will see a Dave Ramsey course or an article, or hear him online or hear him on a podcast. He's just so ubiquitous, you know, so even if they have and the thing is, he is in the way of voices like ours. And that's why, I mean, can we do a little happy dance for your Leisure right now? Have y'all? I feel like probably. I mean I was late to the Earn your Leisure party because you know, I had a baby and I was in a fog for so damn long. And they've only been around for two years. But these are two amazing men, Troy Millings Rashad Bilal and by the way, they're from Greenberg, which is where I live.
Speaker 2: Side they asked to come on the podcast. I've got to ask you that, yes, why.
Speaker 1: Are you fine?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Anyway, So hopefully they'll be guessed soon.
Speaker 2: But yeah, let it just happened.
Speaker 1: But yeah, let me say what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: Sorry, they slayed the Dave Dragon, y'all. They kicked him out of the top spot on iTunes. Oh like he was stuck there like that piece of like piece of like you know, tape or glue from like the poster you put up in your childhood bedroom that you can never get off the wall. That's where Dave spot at number one on business podcast was. They took him down. Yes, that is fine to me.
Speaker 2: Yes, but hopefully you'll be hearing. But so if you don't know is yeah, it's an awesome podcast by two black men. And what I love is that they showcase other black and brown folks that you might not ever have heard of prior to them being on their podcast, and it's just there. They have become a force in the financial space. And I love that they're also signing on like they have their own network and they're signing on people to their network, Like my friend ash Cash is on their network. And as a result, that's just like number Vision. He's been on Bron and Bish that's right, So you don't girl, I'm because I talked to ask, like, you know, that's like my brother from not mother. So I like, how many times have we have just chatted? I'm like, what's it on? Brown and bish and chatting? But yeah, And I'm just so impressed with what the guys are doing. And I'm just really glad that there's so many alternatives that and and I love the I don't know if you saw, like obviously some of them, the comments that they were like, thank you so much for like this, that amazing list that we were just kind of spewing out and another person and another person and another person, because I think it's, like I said, it's important that you see that there are so many amazing financial educators and experts out there. You don't have to get yelled at to learn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was Friday night. I decided to just treat myself to like some rest and relaxation. So I lit all the candles, did a nice little bubble bag, got my little Target brand Ebso salt bombs, and you know, it was just relaxing. And I saw that they were live on Instagram, and that was the most fun I've had watching in ig Live. They are to see. They are so fun to watch, but it's also like they their energy is infectious. And who do they have on One of the people on their network who does a show called Social Proof is this name Sean. I forget he was on and the you don't see and I don't take for granted, but like you don't see three black men celebrating like that, I mean every day, you know, and the fact that they are presenting this image that we are black men, we are supporting each other, we are we are growing. And one of my favorite things that they said was the importance of asking for help and how often in black and brown communities you feel like you have to do it all on your own, because I mean you do. You do have to do it all on your own in the beginning, often because people may may not have the knowledge that's easily accessible to you, or you don't have the resources because of all the reasons that are out of your control. But he and the two co hosts for Shot and Troy, you know, they really talk about how with their network they lean into other podcasters and there is space for everyone, you know, and that when they went, we went, I mean, I don't even know them personally, but I feel like I know them. I feel like my cousins have hit the top spot on iTunes. They made me want Brown Ambition up there. I'm like, why are we on the top? I never really think about chart rankings, but I'm like, dang people, so listen. I learned from them that night I didn't. We've always talked about leaving comments and reviews if you guys want to help Brown Ambition, and we have that of listeners every week, thousands and thousands. We only have like thirteen hundred comments and reviews on our podcast. We could really use you guys. You know, we do the show for free for you. We could really use y'all to go to iTunes and not just like and review our show, but subscribe. Like apparently, subscribing on iTunes is the magic, magical theory dust that is what drives the rankings. And I know a lot of people they don't necessarily subscribe, but just listen. They just listen, And you've got to just click that subscribe button and listen. If it's if it's telling you that you don't have enough data, you know, just delete some photos you don't just you know, just use your cloud storage spiffy. They have all kinds of things to free up space. Now help us out, like we've been in this game for so long, and if that's what we have been missing all along, it's just reminding you all to subscribe, like please do it and then you'll get a reminder every Wednesday when the show is on, which is only you know, we're not gonna spam you. It just means you'll get the show first and you'll find out about it first, and so shout out to earn your leisure for sure, because that was ahu it was.
Speaker 2: Especially after all that we got there, I was like.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we need to talk offline because if they want to be on the show, we need to arrange that post taste post taste what else?
Speaker 2: What else is happening in the world. Oh, I saw that they decided to decline. We won't be getting fifty thousand dollars. It looks like it'll be the ten thousand forgiveness for a student around dad, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, boo, yeah, so Joe Biden, he had that CNN town Hall. Was it the day our show one live? Anyway, we had already recorded, but he I was disappointed. My husband's kind of like a conservative progressive, I don't know, moderate progressive, I guess you would say. And he's he's he's on Joe's side. It's an interesting you know, we were kind of arguing back and forth. But yeah, Joe is like fifty thousand dollars not going to make that happen. Nah, maybe ten? Maybe ten? And I wonder what kind of strings do we know yet, like how you're supposed to like, I know they have to put a bill through, but do you need to have a sense of what you'll need to like do or have in order to be eligible for that forgiveness.
Speaker 2: No, but at least you know what, that's better than like nothing. I mean, that's you know, that's a lot of money to not have to pay. So no, I haven't done into the DT. I just remember just reading very quickly that it was I'm going to be the fifty, but it looks like it's going to be the ten. So I'm like, Okay, that's good.
Speaker 1: That's good. I mean, and it's also a step in the right direction. You know, maybe they'll be as long as we continue to vote. You guys, these are the people in power who are making these decisions. You've got to vote and you know, put people in power who are more progressive. It's a it's a it's a step in the right direction, and it's a yeah, it's a big it's a big leap from where we were at the beginning of the last recession, when the student loan debt crisis really became huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, my baby cousin found out that she had some student loans she didn't know about really how well. She lives with me now and we have financial Fridays and we sit down. She's she's my little Uh, she's my project. I feel like share and clueless and she's my uh what was Britney Murphy? God rest her soul? What was her name in that tie tie? Yeah, anyway, she's my project. But she's twenty three. I'm putting all of her business out here. I'll try to I'll try to dial it back and not put it all out there. But so she's been she's been staying here and helping with the baby, and she had taken a break from school and she's just trying to like, you know, she's twenty three. She's trying to figure out, you know, do I want to do what I've set out to do. She's in that existential young twenties kind of space. Also, there's a pandemic and she needed a place, I needed help. So it all worked out. But I have found through talking to her that and this is like a really it's just opened me up to like even bigger conversations around what can happen in a dynamic of a family when you actually have a lot of help from your parent. And I don't mean financial help, I mean help doing things like like as in a parent does everything for you, you know, fills out the forms for college, fills out your fast before you, Like she really has not had to do any of that herself, and therefore she knew nothing about how it all worked. And on top of that, you know, when you have a parent who's paid for your car, paid for your rent even though she worked, you know, I always checked him with Anna, she's always working. She wasn't doing those things like checking her credit you know, we're getting a credit check for an apartment, or you know, dealing with going to an auto an auto dealer and negotiating a car price, Like she wasn't involved in those situations and I'm starting to understand, like the real detriment when you have a when you have parents who are way too involved, Like the bumpers are always on, you know, is that what they could their kids always on?
Speaker 2: Yes, because you do have to. Let you know, you have to le kids learn, and you learn through falling and failing, and that's okay, Honestly, the younger the better, Like I'd rather have you know, you be twenty two with a terrible credit score and learn the lesson then than forty two when you lose your job because your credit score is terrible and you're like, wait what ye so yeah, no's I'm glad. I love that you guys have financial Fridays and talk about it because that's super important. That's something that's going to change in the directory of her life, you know, keeping on track with that.
Speaker 1: And no shade to my uncle, because I think it's the best intentions. You love your child, and as like, he's my dad's brother and they did not come for money. Let me tell you, they did not come for money. And my grandfather was not in the picture. My grandmother died way younger than she should have, like so many young black women in this country, sadly. So you know, I could see from his perspective, and I'm so empathetic because for him, it's about I'm going to help her succeed. I'm going to be her, be there for her. I'm going to help set her on the right path, you know, have the things that I didn't have. But it's almost like an over correction in a way. And I'm as a mom, I am just absorbing all of this, and I'm like, Okay, okay, let's especially because of the space we're in, it's going to be hard to watch. It's gonna be really hard to watch my kid, to watch Rio grow up and maybe make some bad choices, but I'm really seeing the what can happen on the other side. So yes, so Anna, we sat down and we ran her credit picked. We went to discover scorecard. I love that site. It's free. It's a free way to get your fighto. And yeah, looking at her credit report, she's like, oh, damn, I have a couple of student loans that my dad took out for my tuition. But I didn't know that he took them out and he wasn't doing it. It was not nefarious, but she didn't know you know, and maybe you should, like everyone should know, you know, about their financial picture and that little bit of knowledge. I'm starting to see her get more empowered. And so that's what's been on my mind lately, Like how can I My therapist is like, Mandy, you better back off, like you don't need to, like you don't need to be that much involved unless she really wants you to. I'm trying to like toe that line, you know, like like you said, your financial girlfriend, your financial friend. You know, we're cousins, we're very close. But I'm not trying to do it. I don't want to make the same mistake. I don't want to try to do everything for her. But I am trying to like just empower her with some basic knowledge, you know.
Speaker 2: No, and that's good because she's still really young. Honest, See, this is such a formative time. So I don't think there's anything wrong when with like leaning in as long as you respecting her boundaries and you know, so which sounds like she's like, oh wow, thanks, So as long as that's the sentiment.
Speaker 1: Girl, you know, I respect a boundary.
Speaker 2: I was scrolling through either there's something this is like random mess, not mess, but what do you think about this many? So I was just going through Instagram, and I always see this, like you could pick my brain once the invoice is paid.
Speaker 1: I just say a lot too, we must, Yes, I'm like, what.
Speaker 2: Do you think about that? Like what? What? Yeah? What do you think like when? Because so just how you guys don't know what I'm talking about, especially if you're there's a big there's like a movement I guess if you will, where people are like you stop teking people to pick their brain. It's disrespectful, it's entitled. It's rude that you know, people have spent a lot of time and energy on like whatever their craft or whatever it is, and you shouldn't ask anyone for free information basically. And I see it a lot that you know, and so I have like mixed feelings about how I feel about that sentiment. So I just wanted because when I saw that, I was like, let's see what does Mandy think about Like when people quote unquote want to pick your brain, do you feel like you're like get out of here, like I'm not telling you nothing.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie. Maybe at a certain age, at a step in my career, it might have been but that would have been purely born out of insecurity and also fear. And also you know, it's if we're really serious about creating more inclusion at all levels, you know, generational wealth, building, generational wealth and black and brown households, giving people access to power and knowledge. And for me, I'm really passionate about, you know, talking to people about their career and how to navigate their careers and and you know, move through the quote unquote corporate world or whatever. If we're really serious about that, we have to acknowledge that the way that it's been done, which it has been very closed off to us in terms of knowledge, how do things get done? How do you become you know, an executive or get to a board seat? How you know, how does this happen? That information has been held back from us once I almost feel like, once you gain knowledge, in order to really break the system, we need to stop playing by their games once we get there. So my whole thing is, once I get in a room and I gain knowledge, I wish people would ask me like, what do you know? Because I would be willing to share it. And I think you know why I said, fear and insecurity might have held me back in the past. Is when you're the only one, you might be a little scared. It's like it's this and they want you to feel this way too. I think they being like, you know, the system, it's better for them if we're not talking and sharing information, right, That's why they didn't teach slaves how to read. Access to knowledge is the key to equality. And yet I just I feel person that in my space. If you ever want to pick my brain, it's pickable. I respond to all of our dms for a reason. I want people to know that we're accessible and that we can answer questions, and we take questions on this show, we do brown ambition, like of course we love sharing what we know. But so I think that sentiment I don't agree with it. I think if you get to a certain level, it's your duty, it's your responsibility, especially if you're a person of color. It's an additional little piece of pressure that I think we carry to turn around and try to help someone else.
Speaker 2: I agree. Now here's the thing. I do think that the reason why maybe this has come up is because there are some people who kind of do take advantage, like you know, you help them want kind of keep coming back and back and go. I've definitely had that where you know, someone will reach out to me and I'm like, oh sure, and then this is the second call and the third call. I remember actually was it last year? It was really kind of crazy. So someone did a joint intro. I feel like making an introduction to someone for you to help them without giving some of the other person a heads up. I don't like, right, that's like me being like, oh, hey, Mandy, this is my friend Tyra. Tyra needs some things, so you guys connect, okay, And meanwhile, I have your number? Why not? Why not say hey, Mandy? Is that okay? It's like when you were a kid and used to bring your friend to the car and be like can you drive? Can you? Can you drive Mandy home? Like look at me, like if you don't step away.
Speaker 1: From our car?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because now she has to say no in front of the kid.
Speaker 1: I really felt that. I really felt that analogy.
Speaker 2: Right, It's like all awkward, but I give the person the chance to prequalify. So anyway, that happened to me last year someone did this connection with this with no woman and I was like, okay, awkward, but hey, no problem. So I ended up getting on the phone with the woman, and you know, I poured into her for like an hour and a half and this is what I do and this and this and that, and then she like roll back to get back on my calendar again for like the next week and the next week, and I was like, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, I'm not available for like what we I can't do a weekly to our call. And she was upset by it and expressed it and it was like basically upset that I wouldn't give her any additional time, like if it had been like saying like a few months from now, sure, but she thought that I was just going to be there for her every week. I just met her through this other person. And then she also had made the assumption that we were going to do business together. She's like, oh, I can't wait to do this project with you. I'm like, uh, I never agreed to that, So it was really awkward. I actually had to write the other person because she got nasty. So I had to write the other person and say, Hey, so that person you introduced me to, this is what happened, and just moving forward, if you do ever want to connect me with someone please ask before giving out my personal information, because it really her nasty and she was I think we actually ended up jumping on the phone, and she was so embarrassed, like I'm so sorry, girl. I didn't know it was like she was like what, I just thought you guys would have a conversation. I didn't know it was gonna like turn into this. So I think that type of sentiment is born from those types of interactions, and as a result, people have a blanket. I ain't helping nobody.
Speaker 1: And she made it a lot harder for people who have good who would have more respect for boundaries exactly.
Speaker 2: So, I honestly believe in so many people have poured into me so many so I believe in like pouring into folks, especially women, especially Black women. But I don't always have the capacity or time, you know, to jump on a call. Like if I do, then I make it, and if I don't, then I'm honest and I'm like, you know, today's it's a really crazy week. I don't know. But yeah, whenever I see that, it just seems so off putting because I always think to myself whenever I see those posts, like you know, you can't pick my brain until you pay my invoice. I'm like, I'm sure that there was a brain that you picked that you an in which was not paid. You know that. I believe that when you're blessed, it's blessings are supposed to flow not just to you but through you, and in not doing so, you actually miss out because there are people who are poured into who ended up just like giving me life like a year, two years, five years later, you know, so many of my biggest opportunities were like, yeah, girl, you don't remember me from three years ago. You helped me out. And so now that I'm at own network, they were looking for someone I told them you. That was literally a conversation I had like a few weeks ago. I was like, wait, what so And that's not the reason to do it, you know, but I will just say that you reap. My mother would always say that you reap what you sew. You don't always rewhere you So, so just keeping in mind that I get it that there's there are definitely people who walk around with a sense of entitlement, but that shouldn't keep you from from from pouring into folks who you know, you really think it's gonna it's gonna do something really good with the information that you give them, because at some point you're gonna need help as well, and so you have.
Speaker 1: To exactly be And a really good final example is Sharon Eperson from CNBC. So she was one of the only black women other than like Michelle Singletary at the Wall Street Journal, black women with a big platform in financial news. And when I was a reporter years ago at Yahoo Finance and Business Insider, I always looked up to Sharon. I was always following her and trying to see what she was writing about, and you know, and I went to the same event as her, and I was a reporter, so several years ago, I went to the same event, I think it was at the United Nations and I saw Sharon and she had an assistant. She was like badass and everything. And I went up to her and introduced myself and she very you know, politely, but basically brushed me off, like I don't have time to really talk to you, but definitely send me an email and we can catch up. I think I was talking on just telling her about me and that I'd love to chat with her sometime. And I did email her and I asked her to be on the podcast and didn't hear back. Maybe I got like a couple one email but didn't get any follow up, and you know, I just let it go because she's a busy, busy woman. I didn't think anything of it. And a year later I remembered, I was like, let me follow up with Sharon and see what's going on with her now and just reintroduce myself. Turns out Sharon ha had a brain aneurysm and was in the hospital for several months and we ended up having a great conversation, we had her on the podcast, and now she is a great friend and mentor of mine. And that was a yes. So that was an example of just because you don't immediately get to sit down with someone, it doesn't mean that it's it's because they don't think that you're worth their time. I mean everyone is just a person. Like at the end of the day, you know.
Speaker 2: You have to wow, you don't know. That's the thing too, is that if you, for whatever reason do reach out to someone and they don't say yes or whatever, you don't know why. You know, like sometimes people are going through a lot. Mean, yeah, people you know, like how can anything to do with you? Exactly. Like there was a woman who hit me the other day. She was she wanted me to speak at some conference but it was in person, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like during convert uh.
Speaker 2: But I couldn't do it anyway because it's literally like the day before my book launch. And so my admin wrote a really nice emails like thank you so much, thank you so much for thinking of tivity. Unfortunately she's not able to participate, but wishes you the best. It was a really nice you know, we have like a form email, but it was it's always really nice, like because I'm always grateful when people reach out. So we reached out to say, hey, there may be some sort of opening, and this lady wrote back, I'm good because you're a short email. Maybe one day when I get famous, that's when Tiffany will will want to participate. I was like, I had to literally go back to the email. I thought, oh my goodness, what do we say because maybe maybe it was like na girl, you know what I mean, Like because I have a new executive admin, I thought maybe there was a misstep, and I went back to read the email. I had to read the email like three times, like in the chain like this email. This email was shun It was like four sentences of gushing but thank you and we wish you the best on your event. It looks really great. She wasn't mad about the email. She was mad because I didn't do what she wanted when she wanted me to do it, and so that kind of reaction just and I can't understand the disappointment. But you're an adult, like Roman, when I tell him no cookies, I know why he throws a temperatanentrum. He's five, But throwing a tempertanentrum when you're an adult, when someone doesn't give you agency over their time and energy or money or whatever, you know, you know, it's just it's not appropriate. And what you do do is that you guarantee that they will never work with you, you know. And she made oh there's something else, so she said that. I thought it was super petty. I told all my family and friends, how you get down?
Speaker 1: I was like, mad, all of that, You're done, Tiffany, there you go now, And.
Speaker 2: I just thought to myself, you know, it's such a shame, you know, because like I said, if you mad, just say you're mad, meaning like I just knew she was disappointed. There was nothing left to say. I just said, I just told my admin, you know, just leave it alone. But you don't want that to be the like, no one has to say yes to you. So if you're reaching out to someone and you're like, I just need if I could just get a foot in the door, if I could just you know, get you because I could just leave a little bit of help. People sometimes are busy or or in experiencing trauma or swamp or just didn't see it so and that's okay. Or sometimes they just don't want to do it, and that's okay, you know. So just being mindful of that, then you should always reach out and ask if you're needing a thing, But know that no one's yes is promised to you, and that's okay, But you will get a yes from somebody and it will be the right somebody at the right time.
Speaker 1: Couldn't have sud it better myself. All right, can you remember you have a hard stop. We gotta go. I know, let's take a quick break and we'll get to your questions next. All right, we are back. I think we had time for one question, maybe two for speedy, but I definitely wanted to get to this. I actually don't know if we ever answered this question, but I was digging through the archives and I found this one from a little bit of a while ago. But quick, quick, quick, hey ladies, thank you for a bountiful podcast filled with precious jewels. Here's my question. What would be the best way to tackle debt? If my husband and I have forty thousand dollars worth of debt and credit cards, student loans, and personal loans, should we consolidate or use a snowball method where both students have full time jobs a mortgage, but we struggle to save money trying to pay off our debt. Your advice is much appreciated. Please keep me anonymous. All right, what was it?
Speaker 2: Listen? It was credit card debt.
Speaker 1: They have forty thousand dollars worth of credit card debt, student loans, and personal loans, So a combination of all of that, good time, it's pleasant mortgage.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I probably would focus on the credit card debt first because I'm assuming that's probably like the debt, I don't know, like what, because student loans tend to be like higher balances. I like to do a mix of like the snowball method, which is pay the lower balances off first, and the avalanche, which is pay the higher interest rate off first. But I probably would start with the credit card debt if I was really struggling to save or whatever. And this is what I did. I'm not saying like because I know people are like, no, don't go into forbearance or deferment girl, if they are federal loans. I was a deferment queen until I can get some space. I was like, I'm gonna pay off this credit card debt, defer my student loans until I have some space. I don't know what you mean by personal loans. Is this like to your mom and cousins and them because they come third? Then they could wait unless like they need to eat. But I would focus on credit card debt first if you're not able to save it all I and if it's federal student loans, I would consider doing that. And I would consider deferring or for barancing my federal student loans. If you don't have I would consider like there's like companies like so Far that allow you to basically refinance your student loans at a lower interest rate if your credit score is decent. I would consider doing that as well. And for the credit card debt, if your interest rate is decent, I would consider looking at balanced transfer cards or balance transfer card to at least that's when you can transfer the balance of your credit card debt to another card with a zero percent interest rate, so all your money goes to the principle, and you could pay that debt off faster. So every one hundred dollars, all one hundred goes to the principle. So cause that's how I got out of thirty five thousand dollars worth of credit card debt while I'm unemployment in like three years. I did balance transfer cards, I put my student loan debt and for barance. Everybody else had to wait, and I got rid of those credit cards first to give myself some space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, beautiful. I've just actually spent a lot of time today talking about relationships and money and kind of like how do you do that together? And I will share a survey that we did at ally found that couples who merge their finances actually have a better shot and they say they do at reaching their financial goals. And so I think if you guys attack it as a team, all that debt, you can definitely manage it, and it sounds like you're already on the right track. So I definitely give you major kudos for that, because honestly, like telling your partner about your debt or about your finances, it really does feel like it's almost more awkward less way more awkward than like your first kiss or you know, sleeping together. Even it's like, oh, my debt, Yeah, like you worry about that. I feel like even more so, it's great that y'all are even having the dialogue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is greater you're having a dialogue. So and then yeah, you're working together, and it sounds like you're young if you're both still in school. So just know this is kind of like part of like life currently, but it won't always be like that. Just the key is being mindful not to dig back in that hole, Like let's put the shuffle down, get our way out, fill up this hole so we can move forward on a strong financial foundation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I try to identify the reasons why you know, you got there in the first place. I'm kind of hoping that the majority of that is student loan debt, because girl, who doesn't you know? And the good thing is that your student loans aren't. You don't have to make payments on them until next September. At this point we'll see if they extend the what's it called deferment or forget what the term that the government is using. But yeah, they've stopped interest accruing on student loans and you don't have to make payments for a while, So a little bit of reprieve there, and then you can maybe use your funds for those other goals. Okay, I'm gonna squeeze one more quick question in there, because this is a good one and we haven't talked about this yet. This question came from oh what's her name? Oh the KP Life. Oh she's always so sweet and sending lots of dms. So the KP Life sets Happy New Year, Happy Earth. Sorry this is from January.
Speaker 3: Happy listen.
Speaker 1: We have a big narrow bail bag, y'all. I'm working on the back log. Okay, quick question, have you looked into banking with Greenwood Bank yet? Curious for your take. We haven't talked about Greenwood yet, Tiffany, which I've is that the one we kill Mike killing Mike, Yes, Greenwood, So just for you some background if y'all haven't heard of Greenwood, it's a black and Latin X owned bank that Killer Mike he has this bank black or is that the bank black movement? Yeah, so Killer Mike in Atlanta shout out to atl has been I mean, he really hit the national scene this past summer when he came out and supported Black Lives Matter, and I mean he's always been a huge activist and very vocal, but he got extra extra shine. And then Jesse Williams, who I know, because yes, I still watch Grays Anatomy and I will till the day I die if they continue releasing seasons of it. But he's a doctor on Grey's Anatomy, so he's actually financing this venture, or at least co financing it. And yeah, it hasn't launched yet, so I don't so as far as my take on it, they haven't launched yet. But I love the idea. I love that we're if this is the beginning of a new black bank renaissance. I am all for that because I do believe, you know, circulating wealth in our communities is is hugely important. But they I know, right now, there's like a wait list. So if you join. They don't actually have a product right now, but I love the concept of it.
Speaker 2: No, that's I mean, I need too because I think black banks banking is one of the ways that they, you know, cut black and brown folks out of the economic ability to grow and thrive. And so if you have more black banks, they found that black banks are more likely to loan to small black businesses, They're more likely to fund projects that benefit black and brown people. And so yeah, I mean a good black bank that's actually going to be of service to the community is always a ya for.
Speaker 1: Me, absolutely, especially if they're giving access to financing, because that is often you know, just that startup capital, you know, access to loans. That is what really can stinn me the growth of a lot of black owned businesses.
Speaker 2: Talk.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna talk to Ali about that too. But okay, all right, let's take another Well, actually, let's just go right into brown Boost Brown.
Speaker 2: Break, yays Liz, do.
Speaker 1: What you're gonna do, boost or break? Tiff gonna, I don't know, just carry that note until you think of something. Do you want me to go first? Yes, we should give you a pass because how many interviews have you had today?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is like my favorite Africa. Oh no, Moss, And maybe that's probably what I'm gonna when I'm gonna break, But go ahead. I think that's that's what my brain.
Speaker 1: You still have a homework assignment. I need to know how you're celebrating your book. And now I need to know what kind of vacation are you treating yourself to after the book book launches like April, I don't want to see your ass. Like, we should just book some shows in advance, guest host it up in April. You go take a vak Okay.
Speaker 2: All right, but I'm scared to go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, go to the go to I don't know, somewhere local Rhode Island, go to the go to the woods. There's pretty woods around here. Drive somewhere, I don't know, hot tub, whatever you like to do. Go to Kanku like Ted Cruise, you know it's beautiful. Who also was surprised that the four season was only like threeh dollars a night. I was like, dang, that's affordable. That's where they see the text message that was revealed by Heidi Cruz trying to get the other like soccer moms in their neighborhood to come with them. No oh yeah, yeah. They tried to say, oh, you know, we went there to be a good I went there to be a good father. My kids wanted to go. And then someone in the listen, don't trust the soccer mom. Someone in her her text message group took a screenshot, sent it through the New York Times and was like, nah, she's lying because this is her trying to rally us all together and get us to go to Kancun to escape the cold and the lack of power and water. You know that's a yeah, but I digress my break, I'm sorry, my boost. I'm going to do a boost. I'm gonna shout I'm going to shout out jay Z because it came out today or yesterday. It came out recently that he has sold half of his champagne brand, The jay Z Empire continues, okay, and that he yeah, amazing. So he has sold his champagne brand to LVMH, which is the same brand that owns dom Perion and Moayyi Chandon, and they've taken a fifty percent stake in his in jay Z's brand, which is called armand de Brenanc, also known as Ace of Spades. So shout out to Jay continuing to drive his empire. And the reason I found out because I get all my news from Tina Knowles, is she posted a tribute to her son in law on instead and I thought that was really sweet, and she shouted him out for all the work that he does because you know, he got a lot of shit when he joined the NFL and became the head of their entertainment for the Super Bowl and all that, and she was basically saying he deserves all the shine, and he really is. I mean, he is defining what it is to be to age well, I think in hip hop and in business and yeah, he's always lifting up the community. And go get your coins, j.
Speaker 2: Yes, go get your coins.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I thought I saw that today. I thought that was really awesome. I was like, wow, that's because I mean, from how far that he's come till now, it just must be so surreal for him, you know.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Well I'm gonna so okay, So here's what mine is gonna be. All right. So there is a young woman. Her name is Dimitri Lucas. Have you have you ever heard of a bell in Brooklyn? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, that sounds familiar, but yeah, okay, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well, she she's a writer and she wrote like she wrote her first book of Bell in Brooklyn did really well. She wrote a second book called Don't wis You're Pretty. But what's really amazing is she's just Demeter and I at the same age. She's just this dope sister who do hard work and perseverance. So her book is being turned into a movie and it's going to be airing on TV one. And that's just like when, like, you know, because I watched, like I've been following her since she was a bell in Brooklyn and seeing how she's grown. She used to work at Essence and then she was an editor Essence and then she she's just had this amazing career and so to see this book that she wrote, because I mean, I don't think any of my books, they're not like you're not gonna have a movie about budgeting. But I just think to see somebody who's like I feel like I adjacent, no, like you know, like I don't talk to on the phone, but you know we Instagram. Just to see someone that like I adjacent to know, have a book turned into a movie that she got to be a part of. It's just one of those surreal things like becoming a New York Times bestseller, which you can help me be if you get get good with money at kikosmoney dot com. But yeah, so that is my that is my boost and my break though it's just gonna be. I just want to again thank you to Zinga because my break is to is to not overwork myself. Oh I love that because yeah, because it's been hard, like and it's you know, people always like, well, tivity your team, and I'm like, I the issue really isn't my team, it's me. I've got this a really awesome team, and oftentimes I don't give them the oppert tunity because they'll take things off my plate and I'll take it right on back. And so like it's not that, it's just it's something that's why I have my coaches. That's why you know, I'm really proactive with Oh I've been trying to be you know, really proactive in doing better. But and Zinger really just like called me to the carpet and she just you know, it was just something that I really needed. And so like if you need that sign, like am I doing too much? This is the sign you likely are that it is possible to achieve your dreams without killing yourself. She said something too, like, you know, preserving your feminine energy. Like you know, she said, sometimes it's almost like when women used to wear the power suits. And not to say that women can't wear a power suit, but it's okay to achieve success in a way that that still aligns with how you show up as a woman. You don't have to transform yourself into a man in order to be successful. And so it was just a reminder that I needed. They're like, girl, it make magic happen. Girl, Like women are capable of bring life into this world. We are capable of doing so much much without breaking ourselves, you know. So it was just like I said, that reminded that I needed. And it's a nice little I guess that's kind of like a breaky boost, a boost for that word of reminder, but a break from team too much.
Speaker 1: And I know I teamed too much. I know, Well we had so much love and out pouring. I'm sure you got lots of messages, Tiff, but so did I at brand Ambition on Instagram and then my even my personal account. People just wanted to pour out and pour into you and tell you how much they love you and support you. And also thank you for opening up last week, because I know that wasn't easy for you. But to your point about being a woman today, and I know I'm looking at the clock. I know we got seven minutes. Okay, no, we get I feel very much like yes and shout out to the women who who really had to play by the man's playbook in the seventies, eighties, nineties, two thousand tens. I feel today my perspective going into a senior leadership role the last place I was at and now now and continuing that path. My thing is, so you hired a working mom, like so, I breastfed my child on my very first interview call with Ally. Okay, not on camera, but he was there. I had to because I'm a working mom during a pandemic, right and my whole thing is and maybe the pandemic is giving me that extra confidence. But if you're going to hire me and put me in a position of power, I'm going to be my whole self. And that means if you put a calendar invite out there for four thirty to five thirty meeting I'm going to drop off at five pm because that is the half hour I have to spend with my baby before I do the podcast. Like those, it's very and I feel like I was always putting a lot of pressure on myself at my last job because I was managing team. I'm a woman in power, so I need to set an example for what that looks like. And that means you can talk about, you know, having you can acknowledge those other complex parts of your personality. You know, you can, you can be who you are, but you can also bring in the fact that you're a mother or this isn't just about mom. It's about the pressure on women to take care of elderly relatives or to be the primary caretaker if someone in the family is ill, you know, and during a pandemic year, working like moms have, I mean women, women have been hit from all different directions, especially Black women, because you come from a base of you know, very little resources and support and infrastructure sent you know, set up to support you. It's just we've done a terrible job in this country. So yes, I think Tiffany and you running your team like first of all, letting people show up for you when you need help that helps them grow, It makes them feel good. It doesn't make you any less of an amazing and fantastic leader and founder that you are. It doesn't at all. But I understand like you get addicted to the grind, and you also feel like when I do it, I do it right, you know, and I want to I want to put my stamp of approval on everything, and you know.
Speaker 2: It's not even that. Honestly for me, I always feel like I don't want to bother people, which is so crazy. I'm like, because I'm like, oh man, you know Lat's just had the baby, you know, and she already got the two other little ones. Oh man, I would ask Karen, but I know that she said that, you know, her son is doing X y Z, And let me just literally, I think, because I always ask the women to share, you know, like what's happening in their lives. So I'm conscious of like sometimes being like I don't want to put too much on We take that very seriously, not overworking folks, making sure that this is a joyful place to work, and so as a result, I over sacrifice and sometimes like I might say that, and Lateresa's like girl, she told me the other day, this is the best. This baby, don't cry, this baby, don't this baby's just like whatever you down for, I'm down for. She's like no. But you see, like I'm making that assumption that someone is needing this space and grace and it's like, no, you need that space and grace. She's fine. And even if you thought that, why not ask like, hey, is this too much for you? You create a safe environment for people to share, Like, girl, it would be a lot. You're taking on this burden without asking someone if you know, if they're even capable of sharing it with you. So that's because I honestly don't think I could do it the best. I'm always just thinking that I don't want to put additional work on folks, even though.
Speaker 1: They were here, just projecting my own control freak tendencies upon you, which is why we didn't have an editor for the show until a pandemic and a baby. That was when I let my cold dead hands off the editing novel.
Speaker 2: No. I have honestly just like the most amazing team. But it's just because I just like I told you before, Remember we had that our rich journey, that couple that came on yes, Christ oh yes, and Ama, they that sense of joy they had. I was like, I want that, like they just seem and not because oh, they just seem in such a good space, like they they weren't doing more than was necessary to live this life that they've created for themselves intentionally. And so that's that's what I was like, Okay, And so like you know, I'm sometimes we overdo it, like do you need to work the extra two or will the one do? Then? Well, why are you working to too? If the one will get you the sunshine? Why work the extra two if the one will get you the beach, you know, like, well maybe the one will two will get me double beach. No, the law of diminishing return says the two will actually get you back to the office, you know. Yeah, And so like yeah, so these are things like you know, I like to share that stuff with you guys because I like for you because, especially in entrepreneurship, I feel like people are more honest about not liking a job or struggling in corporate. But I see so much that entrepreneurship is is put on such a pedestal, and not enough people are honest about how hard sometimes it can be to adjust and how sometimes things are amazing and you're feeling great and other times you're not. I just think that I want more people to be honest, that like, you know that you can be externally successful and really be struggling, because so many of my friends that are entrepreneurs. I mean I I was echoing sentiments that so many people that I know echo and I like being vulnerable because that also means that people pour into me. And you're right, Mandy, I got a lot of really amazing messages that had me rethink like, well, maybe I'll try this, and maybe I'll try that. I'm always open to learning because a really good teacher is an even better student, and so I don't have ego about correction and learning and doing things better. So I'm always appreciative when you guys reach out and share some of your feedback with me. So thank y'all for that.
Speaker 1: Ugh, I wish more people were like that. You've got them. Yeah, but you're you know, Tiffany, You and the other people I know who are starting launching their businesses and everything. You're the reason why I want a good friend of mine. It was just back in pre COVID times. Asked to come and visit me at the office to talk about the business that he had launched. And he walked right and I saw the bags under his eyes, and I was like, do you want to just sit in this dark conference room for like twenty minutes and just collect or take a nap or something. And he was like, God, yes, and he went into that room and just took some time for himself. He just and I was like, okay, all right, even though he's doing amazing, business is going great, and it's like you said, like when things are going the best, that's when that is when the gas is empty and you're just like really digging deep and you know you need that extra support. So I hope you get it. I know Team Unicorn wants to be there for you. And if you know, if it's ever anything we can do here over here at Brown Ambition Ink, you just let me know, let me know we could do to accommodation. But I'm getting you out of here because we have like twenty seconds and you have to go. All right.
Speaker 2: I did good, lie, Thank y'all for listening. Tell a friend, Tell a friend, tell.
Speaker 1: A friend, subscribe, police, subscribe and leave a review. I want to shot up those charts. The Eyl Boys they're great, but like we was here first, so let's get up on it.
Speaker 2: There's a room at the top. We could be number one.
Speaker 1: To do yes. I'm just saying, okay, all right, bye y'all right, bye bye