Speaker 1: And he swags to high understand that.
Speaker 2: Deep just center field, and it's gone, Wow, his first big league swing is gonna be a gland slam, a home line swing.
Speaker 3: Good time to look to them. So welcome back to the Call Up, your go to podcast on the future stars of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: You got arm Light and Jack.
Speaker 3: McMullen, and we're gonna talk about the top ten prospects in baseball right now. And we're not going to just do the here's ten, here's nine, and do a breakdown of them, because we talked about it.
Speaker 1: We've broke down the top one hundred update.
Speaker 3: Enough, but we kind of figured, hey, we are just checking in on some of the top top dogs in the minor leagues and how's the season going for them, what are the chances that they get promoted?
Speaker 1: Where are they at in their development?
Speaker 3: And I felt like that would be a very fun conversation with the ten names that we have at the top, especially because number ten is pitching like the best minor league arm I can remember in a long time, and then his organ made as number five.
Speaker 1: Number four is on a heater after for his standards a slow start.
Speaker 3: Number two is having some ebbs and flows in the big leagues, but showing some really good things, Like there's so many fun things to dive into with these players, so I figured, why not dive into some storylines and talk about the top ten prospects overall for us in baseball.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. We got a couple of promotions as well that I know you want to hit on off the top. The o'gillan got the promotion, I saw Chase Harlan, the Dodgers got promoted as well, So we can talk about some of those other promotions. But excited to do a different look at the top ten because with the mid season update, you never want to do like and at seven Max Clark. This guy's a really good defender and there's more power every time you check in, like it's just a rinse and repeat conversation. So excited to take that new lens. But you want to start with the promotions.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's start with theo Man.
Speaker 3: You talked about him a week or two ago about like, is this a guy that could be you.
Speaker 1: Know, minor league player of the year. Conversation. Now Eric Hartman may have something to say about that.
Speaker 4: Dude, He's already got it in the bag I am.
Speaker 1: I I agree, unless I do think level matters some too.
Speaker 3: If Fiogillen keeps doing what he's doing at double and Hartman's at High A longer, it'll be an interesting conversation. But point being, Fio Gillen's, you know, a serious contender for this, and I really do feel like beyond that. This is the test now, not the test to like, will Theo Gillen be a good big leaguer? This is the test of, like, will Theo Gillen stay on track to be potentially the next top prospect in baseball or potentially at least a top five prospect. I already think with the way he's playing since our update, you can start to make the case that our number nineteen prospect is really closer to like our number ten prospects. A couple of graduations as well help that, But I think he's weak frogs already a couple of the guys ahead of him, and I just I look at what he's doing from a power speed, improved defense conversation.
Speaker 1: Yes, we saw it at High A.
Speaker 3: Now if Fio's doing that in the Southern League and we're seeing the same things there, I think that's where the prospect hype and the excitement around him kicks into overdrive because there was just some like, Okay, well.
Speaker 1: He's swinging miss a little bit too much.
Speaker 3: I think that's maybe the one that and injuries are like the one little nitpicks that you're like just kind of waiting.
Speaker 1: To maybe put that to bed a little bit.
Speaker 3: Being able to perform in the Southern League puts swing and miss concerns to bed pretty quickly relative to where they would be at High A. You know, if you're striking down around twenty three twenty five percent of the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, freak athlete obviously, And it's really fun to see what this climb could possibly look like for him. Do you think this is his final stop this year? I mean, we've got some time to see a positive impression. We're talking at the end of June right now, he's got three more months to work with in minor league baseball.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be surprised if we see that the classic like Double A season's over, let's go get you some more games in Triple A because that season is still going and he plays a full games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I would imagine, because look, this is going to be a test.
Speaker 3: Like I wouldn't be surprised if there's a little bit of a bump in the road. I also wouldn't be surprised to be torches hit. We're talking about a guy then fifty seven games, three forty two with four forty nine five eighty nine slash line, a one sixty six WRC plus twelve homers, twenty eight bags.
Speaker 1: It's it's crazy stuff, but twenty four percent k rate could.
Speaker 3: Balloon to twenty eight twenty nine kind of quickly, just because it's a Southern league. I don't think it will with him with everything that I've seen, But at the same time, like it is a big leap, this is an exciting challenge for a twenty.
Speaker 1: Year old here to really be able to prove like, hey, I am one of the best all.
Speaker 3: Around prospects in Major League Baseball, and I'm excited to see more from the glove there as well.
Speaker 1: And that's why the other reason why I think going to want to get him a lot of reps.
Speaker 3: And remember he only played seventy three games last year at dealing with a calf injury and maybe some other minor ailments.
Speaker 1: So he's already coast to last year's total.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure they'd love to get him as many reps as possible this season.
Speaker 1: I'm really excited about what DOUBLEA could look like with him.
Speaker 4: Two other promotions that I want to hit on before we get to the top ten here, Chase Harlan gets the bump up to Higa Great Lakes from the Dodgers. Chase Harlan spent the first couple of months with the Ontario Tower Buzzers, not the Rancho Cupamonga Quakes. The Ontario Tower Buzzers now age nineteen season for Chase Harland this year. Harlan the third round pick in twenty four out of high school in Pennsylvania by the Dodgers. But Harlan after sixty eight games last year the complex in Rancho had an eight hundred ops this year in fifty seven games with Loway Ontario hitting three point thirty with ten homers, forty six driven in walking nearly as much as he's punching, and an ops over one thousand and ten to oh nine. What have you made a Harlan season? And why do you think it can continue? With great legs?
Speaker 3: Uh, this guy's got some legit legit power, man, And I don't even know if it's getting enough notoriety right now. And maybe that's partly partly because he's been, you know, kind of buried relative to the other prospects in this system, Like Chase, Harlan's not one of the first eight, maybe nine, maybe ten names that you're discussing in this Dodger system. Harlan, at nineteen years old, has reached one hundred north of one hundred and fifteen miles per hour on three different occasions this year, one fifteen point six on a single, one fifteen point three on a homer, and one fifteen point two on a double.
Speaker 1: That's craziness, man, Like, that's nuts.
Speaker 3: We're talking about I think fifteen batted balls one ten and above, and they're all it's not like straight into the ground.
Speaker 1: These are all in the air like these.
Speaker 3: Are all extra base hits, homers or line drive singles, that kind of power. And it's not coming with you know, a sixty two percent contact, right it's a seventy two percent contact right now?
Speaker 1: Is he a plus hit or no?
Speaker 3: But if he's even fringy, I mean that that's seventy raw power right there without a doubt. I mean, you can make the case that there's room for even more, and he's finding waft consistently and the approach has been good. I think this is another player where it's like, okay, clearly huge bat speed, huge power, physical guy that was banged up last year and built on what he's been able to learn last year, and just also I think just getting healthy but now against high a arms, you know, just just a little bit more whipt creep in as well.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: And I think he's he's really kind of figured growing, growing into his body physically, but also kind of figuring out who he is as a hitter. It's there's a field to airpool, but because of the bat speed he generates, he can just clip balls that carry out.
Speaker 1: The other way.
Speaker 3: This guy could be a monster if the hit tool doesn't like degrade, you know at these higher levels, which I don't think it will because for how powerful he is at such a young age, he's not that stiff. So this is another really fun up arrow prospect with top one hundred type of upside very quickly. There's not a lot of guys at the lower levels at one fifteen. Several times already this year.
Speaker 4: Only other guy that we want to talk about that is outside the top ten before we get into the top ten and how they are doing Merrick Houston and Minnesota. Houston officially got a bump up to double A Wichita from High A Cedar Rapids. Mark Houston last year right sixteenth overall pick by Minnesota in twenty five and twenty four games. He struggled in pro ball. It was twelve games at four Myers, twelve games in Cedar Rapids, but off a ten to fifty five ops at Wake in his draft year in twenty five so far this year in fifty six games in High A, hitting three twenty five, just five homers, but twenty four for twenty six in the stolen based department, getting on base at a clip over four hundred and an eight seventy ops for Mark Houston, and now he gets to go up to double A. Do you foresee maybe some growing pains for Marik Houston.
Speaker 1: I think those were kind of last year, you know.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot of improvement this year in the areas that you'd want to see.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: This is like a whiz of a defender at shortstop, which is why he was always so valuable, despite the fact that coming out of the draft there was questions of like, you know, is this like twenty like maybe thirty at best grade power?
Speaker 1: Is this going to be somebody that hits a lot of homers for you know?
Speaker 3: But I felt like that at points the quality of contact was so light that you're like, he's just going to kind of get frustrated with the balls even he hits well in the gap, just dying and maybe not being able to sneak balls through as much and whatever it may be. Like, I think we saw a little bit of that even in the brief pro debut. But this year, man, I think it's been a lot better across the board. He continues to look like that fantastic defender that he is at shortstop, and he's giving you value on the base pats as well, twenty four for twenty six, and the stolen base department is as efficient as they come.
Speaker 1: But average EXI velocity.
Speaker 3: I know we're working with a small sample last year, but up three miles per and even from the college numbers, I think there's some better specs on the bat of ball data. A hard hit rate up sixteen percent and he's pulling the ball in the air more consistently. He doesn't need to be much more than you know, close to an average league. He could be a ninety five WRC plus and have a long career because of the defense and the speed. But if he's a one oh five WRC plus, he's going to be a multi one shorts oot for a long time. So this is another player where it's like, okay, college bat with polished back to ball. I just want to see what double A looks like for you, because if you can maintain that you know, advanced bat to ball, then you're going to be on that high floor, you know, crash course to be able to impact the major leagues.
Speaker 1: That's the last thing we're waiting on those.
Speaker 3: Can you just maintain those really solid bat to ball specs and the improved quality of contact at double A being that you are a college bat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, let's pivot into the top ten here, and let's talk about the best arm for the Arkansas Travelers at double A for the Seattle Mariners, And for your money, you just said it maybe the best arm in minor league baseball that you've seen in a long time. And I'm going to put this to the test, you said ten minutes ago, he's pitching like the best minor league arm I've seen in a long time. Pade Anderson, the left hander and the number three overall pick by the Seattle Mariners last year out of LSU. Anderson, in his last five starts has not allowed a run, not only an unearned run, but has not allowed a run. It's twenty seven and two thirds scoreless over his last five starts. This guy in three starts in June five innings a one hit shut up ball, six and two thirds a three hit shutout ball, and six innings a two hit shutout ball. So so far in three starts in June, opponents are six for fifty eight against him. That's a one zero three batting average against. He's walked one guy and punched out twenty three in seventeen and two thirds, so that's a zero point four whip and over his last five turns. Doing a quick tally here, twenty three plus sixteen is thirty nine and he's walked three thirty nine to three in the k to bb department in his last five starts, again, no runs. Opponents are hitting right around one hundred against him over this stretch and on the year, in sixty one and two thirds innings in double A across twelve starts, He's got a one point h two ERA. Opponents are hitting one fifty two against him. He's allowed two home runs, and he has ninety punch outs to eight walks. And the craziest thing is looking at the strikeout to walk month by month for him, because it's not like he had a weird command month and then turned it on and was diabolical for two months. He's been diabolical for all three months. Kate Anderson in April four starts thirty punch outs in four walks. Kate Anderson in May five starts thirty seven punch outs, three walks. Kate Anderson in June three starts twenty three punch outs and one walk, Rinse and repeat. So I'm putting it to the test. The best minor league arm that we've seen in a very long time was Paul all Schemes in his very very brief sample and Schemes I believe in that six week stretch in Indianapolis had a zero point nine to nine ERA. Is that six week stretch better than what Anderson's doing? Right now or is this Anderson more impressive because he's done it for longer.
Speaker 3: I think doing it for longer and I know it's double A, but doing it in the Texas League there's at least a case that you could get clipped a couple more times, right, like just some some cheapy homers and from a lot of these really good lineups that he's facing the fact that he's limited damage the way that he has, and he's doing it as long as he has.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's it's gotta be Anderson with what he's doing right now.
Speaker 3: And again, to be clear, this isn't like a Hey, Kate, Anderson's going to be, you know, a ace to the level that Paul Skeens is. I mean we still have Ryan Sloan ranked ahead of him, and that's some more you know, open ended conversation. I just think when you're projecting long term, I think Ryan Sloan, you know, has the potential to be you know, a front line, front line SEP guy. What's allowing Anderson to do this is I think the stuff is obviously really good, but he's so advanced. This looks like a big league arm rehabbing. But just for like ten starts. It's unbelievable because it's not. In watching through his starts, it's so much fun. You don't get a lot of minor league pitchers that can go to any pitch in any count we like whenever they want right. And he's got the four seamer, the change up, the slider, and then the curveball, and he will go to any of them in any count wherever he wants them.
Speaker 1: And they're all above average at worst pitches.
Speaker 3: And I think that's the biggest thing is some of the secondaries that looks above average four maybe are closer to plus. Like that curveballs, it's just disgusting, just absolutely dives off the table. But for a curveball with that much depth, how is he so consistently landing it. His field to pitch was already lauded, like everyone knew that Kate Anderson had a fantastic field pitch, but just seeing it translate so immediately to double A and I would say it actually got better.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure some of that was through throwing in.
Speaker 3: The bullpens, and you know, with with Mariners pitching coaches and Mariners pitching development, and also just him maturing and getting older as well. And I know when we talked to the Mariners, some of the Mariners brass early in spring training, they were immediately so impressed with how Boughten Kate Anderson was on their you know, philosophies and their approach to things. So you imagine, you know, Kate Anderson, with his abilities, you know, just immediately buying into an organization that does has done a really good job on, you know, just the philosophical side and how to attack hitters and all these things. And he's surrounded by all of these really advanced and established big league arms, and you can just see it's just it's just amazing how quickly that's just seeped into his game. It's a seventy percent strike rade on heaters, it's a sixty seven percent strike rade on breaking balls, and it's a seventy percent strike rate on the change up.
Speaker 1: How do you game plan for this guy? If you're a minor league hitter.
Speaker 3: When all of his pitchers are good, he can go to any of them in any count and he will go east, west, north, south, and and I just I don't know what you do. He's kind of wasting his time in Double A They're not gonna send him to the PCL because like, why why would you do that other than just unless you wanted to just have a fun experiment.
Speaker 1: But like, I guess he's just gonna have to wait.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just one of those really unique situations, and it doesn't mean that it'll immediately translate to this level of dominance at the big league level. But again, I can't tell you the last time I've seen opponents and a guy's first full pro season slashing at the upper miners one eight seven to two oh five over this large of a sample with a forty one percent strikeout rate, Opponents are hitting below one hundred against this slider and he's only allowed seven extra base hits all season. And that's the biggest thing I think that's gonna translate, and that's that proves that this is a guy that's just fully ready. Is you're gonna see some really good hitters and really advanced hitters that you know, maybe have a better approach than everybody else. And those are the guys that may sneak in the doubles or the homers, whatever, it's just not happening. Nobody is comfortable against him and nobody is getting that good swing off to have those, you know, just a couple homers and be able to clip them like seven extra base hits of all the hitters that he's faced so far. The fact that they're slugging two h five, it's just crazy stuff. And it's been really really fun to watch, and in terms of aesthetically pleasing, you know, like pitchers to watch right now in the minor leagues, I don't think there's gonna be anything more fun than Kate Anderson and watching him mix and match and locate for six plus innings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to think about the Mariners' best course of action. You have to assume that Kate Anderson, assuming health, is going to be in the minor leagues for the entirety of the season. Now, they would love to get out of Castillo. It seems where Luis Castile could be gone by the deadline, but after that you still got five legit starting pitchers. So do you entertain the thought of moving a guy like Kirby or a guy like Bryce Miller this offseason to open up a runway for Kate Anderson. I think the answers yes, I think they fit figure out their offensive shortcomings, and then you move a guy that you feel like could be a big ticket trade target this offseason, Like Kirby is the one that's coming to mind right now because it feels like you would feel the departure of Wu or Gilbert even more. And then Handcock, it feels like you're kind of playing with house money right now. So like Kirby as he gets closer to free agency, could be on the move, and then Kate Anderson immediately plugs in plays and you're cooking with serious gas again next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the really interesting part too.
Speaker 3: So I have to Kirby off two years of control and I don't know what the ARM three number will be, but he's at six and a half right now, so like he's not.
Speaker 1: Going to be cheap, cheap, cheap compared to some of these other arms.
Speaker 3: And maybe they could just say, hey, let's move off of Hancock and you're not gonna get as much of a return there.
Speaker 1: So that's the thing. But I think it allows them to be very creative.
Speaker 3: And you might say, well, you don't want to move an established starter in the name of a prospect, but you also like if something weird happens with Kate and Ryan Swan's not far behind to be.
Speaker 1: Your other option to potentially plug in as well.
Speaker 3: So I think we do see that move finally made this offseason, and I think it's a great situation for the Mariners to be in because it just allows them to You don't have to do it, but you can shop around creatively and see what's out there.
Speaker 1: And look, I think Tyler Bremner is going to be a great arm But I.
Speaker 3: Do wonder what the Angels are feeling right now and what they're thinking having passed on Kate Anderson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, seriously, So I don't know, man, you'd assume Kate Anderson would be eating inning right next to Tetvers and Soriano and everybody's favorite Walmart Garina. We'll talk about slowing here in a matter of moments, but I do want to pivot to Ethan Sallas and make it a quick conversation. We already talked about Sallas, the padre catching prospect, who's number nine for you. We talked about him on the Biggest Risers because he literally went from what one hundred to nine? Right, Yeah, But Ethan Sallas so far in the month of June, been struggling a bit about seventy eight with a five oh five ops in twelve games in June. Now, in forty five at bats, five played appearances, he's only punched out three times. What do you make of Salas' recent stretch on the heels of two really good months at the outset of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think I felt like it was there's gonna be some sort of adjustment period. Remember, he's coming off of, you know, a major back issue, a stress fracture in his back, and that wiped out his entire last season, So you figure there's gonna be a little bit of a point where he's feeling the workload and also just just maybe the body just feeling it a little bit as well. And he hit at the il with a minor oblique thing. I don't think they expected to keep him out very long. But you know, when you look at Salas's professional career so far, he's already caught the second most games he's ever caught in a season. I think twenty four was obviously that the most where he was at eighty three, but then other than that, he had not really been close to that, And that's including the Fall League, so there's a little bit of a gap between there. He's already caught forty three games this year, then played another eleven, you know in the DH spot, So I think he's just feeling it a little bit.
Speaker 1: I still think that, you know, and I think some people may say.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe we were a little you know, everybody was a little bit too reactive to Salas, like we need to see him do it over a larger sample.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. Like, I think everything that we've seen so far.
Speaker 3: Even with the struggles, Remember this is a kid that was nineteen years old at the start of the season at Double A.
Speaker 1: He's kind of bound to.
Speaker 3: Have a little bit of like a dip in production as he just gets acclimated, and it's a tough league with some of these arms.
Speaker 1: So I think ultimately it's all looked good.
Speaker 3: It's been fun seeing the bags be a part of his game too, and the athleticism, so like he's been pushing himself physically. I think plenty off of the back injury, and I think he was playing through a little bit of an oblique thing that was holding.
Speaker 1: Him back some.
Speaker 3: I think he comes back and he picks right back up and heats back up again and proves he you know why he's the best catching prospect in baseball Walker Jenkins.
Speaker 4: It's a real quick conversation, but he did just get activated from his rehab assignment. He was smashing the baseball on his rehab assignment. The Minnesota Twins prospect is your number eight prospect in baseball and just Baseball's top one hundred. Update. As Jenkins comes back from his rehab assignment and is activated back in Triple A, what do you hope to see before he presumably gets to the big league's post headline?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think just to get him up there, I don't really even need to see much else in Triple A.
Speaker 1: I know he could have.
Speaker 3: Turned the evs into more slug in that just start to the year in Triple A, but the uptick in EV's was all I really needed to see.
Speaker 1: He looks great in the box right now and then in the rehab auting games.
Speaker 3: Just to already be back to hitting the ball hard and seeing that that quickness that has just been improved this year be back there and prevalent again. I mean, this is the guy that this year too is running a ninety two percent in on contact right with the improved evs. I want to see him just at the big league level. I don't want to worry about him getting injured in a Triple A game.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 3: Maybe I know he can get injured in a big league game too. I would just rather see it happen up there. I know that there's a little bit of a clutter up there at the big league level, and this is another team where it's like, what's your plan? It seems like ownership doesn't quite want to sell, but the front office wouldn't mind, you know, cashing in some chips. I would love for them to clear a little bit of room here for Walker Jenkins because twenty one years old here, just even though he's only twenty one, it feels like he's been I'll put I don't even know what the way to describe it is because he hasn't played that many games, so I understand it from that perspective. But I also feel like he's looked the part of a guy that's kind of just ready to be tested at the highest level for a little bit now, and then the injuries kind of derailed that timeline. He should have been a guy that was debuting at twenty years old, and injuries have slaid that, which I understand. But now seeing the best form of him this year, once I think we get a few weeks of him looking healthy and performing, I think you should, you know, go make the thirty minute drive over to to you know, Minnesota, tugtfield and play for the big league team.
Speaker 4: It is amazing that twenty three draft. You just look at how it all unfolded, and you know, like it's Minnesota that's kind of the last one standing. And Walker Jenkins if and when he does get up to the big leagues, and if he does rake up there, we're looking at Dylan Cruz of all players, being the most disappointing of the bunch. And Cruise is finally starting to show signs of life with Washington. He's been impressive over the last couple of weeks. But I mean, it's amazing. If you were to tell me in that draft process that, hey, in three years, Dylan Cruz is going to be the most disappointing of the top five taken, I would have called you absolutely insane.
Speaker 1: But that's kind of what you would have thought.
Speaker 3: No chance in the world, And that's the craziest part about how unpredictable the draft can be. And then last note on Jenkins average exivelocity is up from eighty seven miles per hour last year. I always thought that was the most underrated thing about him. Is like, well, other power is coming. I'm like, it really needs to come, because it's not there right now in terms of like the raw power he had the angles, but now up to ninety two miles per hour this year. This more than it's almost five mile per hour leap. You know it was from eighty seven point two to ninety one point nine. I mean that's a huge shift from Wakar Jenkins.
Speaker 4: We're gonna talk about Max Clark in a moment before that. Sh Max Clark the Tigers checks in at number seven for you, and Max Clark is experiencing his best month so far with triple A Toledo fifteen games in June, hitting two seventy with an eight point fifty ops for Clark, he also has four homers, He's walked ten times, he's punched out eleven times so far this month. It seems like he is playing exceptionally well and maybe big league caliber if the Tigers snink it up over the summertime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like they're just kind of buying Max a little bit more time to find his groove and trip Awa, Like there's no one really in his way at this point. James Outman was claimed, right, and so, and like, I get it, maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. I think a few different teams have already tried that now, and it just doesn't seem like it's gonna happen with Withoutman.
Speaker 1: So it just feels like a time buyer, right And and I get it, like you want to bring your.
Speaker 3: Blue chip top prospect up when he's got some momentum, and uh, you know, I think as shaken off a little bit of the slow start, as you mentioned, Max is starting to you know, kind of settle in here and and hit his stride.
Speaker 1: You're seeing the slug creep back.
Speaker 3: In and and the thing with him is the bats of ball is always going to be there, the speeding defense is always going to be there.
Speaker 1: So the floor is high, but.
Speaker 3: Just when you have that highly end and this is going to be one of the more highly anticipated big league debuts that we've had in a while because of the fanfare and the excitement that comes around with with a Max Clark. You want that guy riding high into a big league debut, and so I think that's that's the biggest thing for the Tigers right now. I think there is a case to be made that I think he could go up there and give them better at bats and than James Outman. But do you want Max Clark up there working through some mechanical things at the at the highest level, or do you want him hammering home those those feels and adjustments that he's found over another one hundred at bats at the minor league level and then go from there.
Speaker 1: And I think that's what they're leaning on right now. But you mentioned it like it has been a lot better of late. He looks more comfortable.
Speaker 3: I know he's adjusted the minor, minor little things in the box to kind of find to find his stride here and be able to tap into more impact.
Speaker 1: The bat speed has been there over his last thirty games.
Speaker 3: Seventy five mile per hour average bat speed for Max Clark is pretty crazy stuff, da. I mean, that's that's well above average for a guy that's also running a ninety percent zone contact right in a fifteen percent chase rate.
Speaker 1: Like, even when this guy is off.
Speaker 3: I feel like the peripherals and the other aspects of his game make him kind of I don't want to say slumpproof, because nobody is in this god forsaken sport, but I do feel like he's in a spot where like his slumps are not going to be like negative war like just catastrophic, you know, types of situations compared to a lot of other guy swamps because he's gonna draw his walks, he's gonna put the ball in play, it's go and give you productive outs, and like that's what.
Speaker 1: I saw even through the start of the season. I thought it was a good example of that.
Speaker 3: It's like Clark was playing poorly by his standards and it wasn't like, oh my gosh, you know, the slash line is terrible whatever.
Speaker 1: So now as he's picking up the overall numbers, quickly pick up two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, Seth Hernandez the Pirates. Next guy that we got to talk about, and you know, we get into the point of the top ten where we've talked about these guys at nauseum constantly this year, so it'll kind of be a quick check in on these guys. But Seth Hernandez just put up a heck of a start a couple of days ago in Appleton, Wisconsin, six innings, a one hit, shutout, ball walked one, punched out eight of the nineteen hitters that he saw. Seth Hernandez on the season in fifty seven the third innings between Lowe and Hia, sporting a two zero four ERA, opponents hitting under one sixty against him, and in fifty seven and a third he's punched out ninety three guys so far in the month of June, twenty five punchouts in sixteen and two thirds innings. So Seth Hernandez seems like finding his footing in Hyae.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a little bit of an adjustment there and for his standards right like at Hia, that was interesting to see, And I don't know what exactly it was, like just the pitch shapes were a little bit different out of the gate.
Speaker 1: The command was there's a little bit more scattered.
Speaker 3: But it seems like it's already starting to just go away now, like he's already starting to settle in to where he's right back to where he was. But just for his standards, I think there was just also a little bit of a difference where it's like, Okay, these aren't standing bullpens anymore like it was.
Speaker 1: In low A. This is these guys even from Loway to Hya. Now he's overpowering the majority of hitters.
Speaker 3: But there's a few guys in every lineup now that like George Wolcow got him for one hundred fourteen mile a hour, Homer, I don't know if that's happening in Lowe. So there's just some guys that can gear up for it, and if you make a lazy pitch or a mistake like they can get you. So I think there's just a little bit more intent that was required from Seth and he immediately saw that pick up, you know, in the last few outings. It also like and it might just be the angle, So I don't want to put too much into this, but it seems like the arm action is just a little bit smoother and more in rhythm with his lower body, and it seems like that's allowed him to repeat it and and be I think more on time and have the release point more consistent. So just something to monitor there, But you know, the command is is just the variable there that I think is going to be interesting to monitor, Like he doesn't need to be elite command wise, obviously, but there's some starts where it's been expectedly and understandably a little bit below average for a nineteen year old with crazy stuff that moves in all different directions than there are other addings where it's it's above average. So just trying to find that consistency part, I think is just the next thing with Seth And the other interesting part will be, you know, how do they handle him if he keeps rattling off really good high A starts. This is a guy that we see maybe make a starter to a Double A by the end of the season. I think I think maybe, yep.
Speaker 4: Hopefully so. Ryan Sloan in Seattle, next guy that we got to talk about here. Sloan had the best start in minor league baseball, it seemed like on May thirtieth against Frisco six perfect with eleven punchouts. After that, laid an egg in Corpus Christy three third, eight hits and five runs, including three homers. But since then bounced back well eleven innings, two earned runs. He's punched out twelve and walked one in that stretch. It is amazing that you've got Ryan Sloan, the number five prospect in baseball, not even being the headliner in the Arkansas Travelers rotation.
Speaker 1: I know that is crazy. It is crazy, and.
Speaker 3: There might be a world where it's like, maybe did we get a little bit too cute with it? Like looking at the ceiling of Sloan, are looking at this ceiling of Swoan over like what you've got with Anderson. But I still go back to, like, Ryan Sloane just turned twenty years old and he's thrown in that Texas League right now, and he's already shown us flashes of like dominance, dominance, it's just stringing it together. And that's what I was talking about with Kate, the fact that Kate hasn't had that like, oh, they clipped you a couple of times because it's a Texas League start. Like we saw from Sloan, like that three homer allowed start, broke up a stretch where he was autoly dominant. You mentioned the six shutout from him there, or there's six perfect from him there and then the two others to follow up that have been fantastic.
Speaker 1: Six innings of no earned.
Speaker 3: Run, one run ball seven ks, no wah or one walk, and then five innings of two run ball, no walks, five k's, and before that there was multiple quality starts as well, Like it's just going to happen sometimes in the Texas League. But this dude averaging ninety six and a half with the heater and having two different heaters now, like to add the sinker.
Speaker 1: The way that he has the sweeper is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Then you have the cutter, the splitter, and then variations of the breaking ball, like it is so much fun. I think the ceiling here is just so ridiculously high, but it does become a fun kind of floor ceiling conversation with these two.
Speaker 1: And this is we're working on a video right now. I'm working on one with Peyton.
Speaker 3: About you know, just is this the best pitching duo, pitching prospect duo we've seen ever. I wanted to corroborate that with JJ Cooper Baseball America because I don't know anyone better to ask than.
Speaker 1: You, So I sent him a DM as well.
Speaker 3: I know he's on it for me too, to see if they can find any time in their list where they've had two guys in the top ten there. And I mean the fact that JJ Cooper didn't immediately say oh this because it JJ and JJ. JJ's got everything off the dome. That tells me, even if there is one, you gotta dig. So it's it's as fun of a duo I think as we.
Speaker 1: We've really ever seen.
Speaker 4: It's so cool, man. All right, let's play a game. What new Julio Rodriguez, Jacksenturio, and Leo Devrees have in common?
Speaker 1: Leo Riguez, Jackson Troy and Leo Deprize, I'm in common.
Speaker 4: I will throw Kyle Schwarber into that conversation too.
Speaker 1: That made it so much worse. I know now now you just you just completely disoriented me.
Speaker 4: A little bit to get going. Yea is naturally a slow starter. Jack Centurio naturally a slow starter. Kyle Schwarber, we always talk about June with him, and he's on this Homer tirade to push in front by a country mile in the Major League home run lead. Leo Davries just seems like a guy that is fine, fine, fine, and then boom, here he is. And that is what Drees's June has been. You know, this guy was good in April in double a in April he had an eight to fifty ops, but in May he ticked down to his six fifty ops. And now in seventeen games in the month of June, Devrez is hitting two ninety walk thirteen times to sixteen punchouts. He's got four homers, he's got six bags in as many attempts, and he is a nine to thirty ops this month. DeVries it takes him some time, it seems like, to really like get going. But once he gets going, you see why he is a super prospect.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. It's your spot on there. It's it's become now. And it feels funny to say, like, oh, like we can kind of we see a theme with this nineteen year old every year, but like it's really been a theme now twenty four, twenty five, and twenty six, and with him, it's like it's very very clear because when he's good, he's as good as anybody.
Speaker 1: So you really see that.
Speaker 3: Uptick right around this time of the year, and then it's a sprint through the finish line. And I think that's the interesting part with Devrees is like if he does what he's done the last two years in the second half and then the Athletics are presumably anywhere near in it. They might have to ride that hot hand and bring that bad up to Sacramento. The other part that I'm really excited about it you mentioned the six for six. He's now twenty two for twenty six in the stolen base department, and like, this has not been a part of Devires's game. He was eleven for nineteen last year with on the stolen base side of things, So to be a factor there at double A I think is really encouraging. But he's That's the big story with Devrise here is he is really really really picking up and it wasn't bad. And that's the nice part too, is like even through somewhat slow start to the season, you're just seeing him, i think, raise his floor as well with the approach and the field to hit and everything like that. But I mean, over the last twenty five plus games, he's been walking, he's been slugging more, he's been putting bad on ball, he's been stealing more bags as you mentioned, and it just looks like Devrez is really hitting his stride here in his age nineteen season. And I'm just interested to see what this means because a guy like him where the bat and ball angles are.
Speaker 1: So good, the PCL is going to be a joke. It's going to just be even more of the like get him up to the bigs, Get him up to the bigs.
Speaker 3: So him showing it in the Texas League right now, I think is really exciting because the PCL will be even easier for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, three more guys that we got to hit on here. This has been an awful month for franklin Arius in Boston. He's only opsing eight thirty five this month on the heels of an eleven ninety six in April and an eight eighty four ops in May, slashing two seventy one on three seventy seven four fifty eight in the month of June. Through sixteen games, he's walked ten times to thirteen punchouts. Franklin Ari is with double a Portland fifty seven games, hitting three point fifteen with fourteen homers, thirty six driven in and a nine to seventy four ops. Is he impervious to slumps this year?
Speaker 1: It seems like it. It seems like it. I think with him too.
Speaker 3: You take a you know, elite bats to ball guy and we talked about one of the best bats to ball guys last year, and you had the power that we've documented so much on this podcast.
Speaker 1: He uptick in power, and.
Speaker 3: It's like, how does this guy swamp Even when the power's not there, he's gonna put bat on ball, He's gonna get on base whatever, or even if the bats to ball is not there.
Speaker 1: Like it normally is, he's gonna clip his homers. So it's like there's so many different ways he could have different versions of a slump and still be productive.
Speaker 3: And then the other side of it is like, even if he's not giving you a ton offensively, and this is more on the big league side of things, he's gonna defend.
Speaker 1: He's made two errors all year, and I think.
Speaker 3: People might be talking about, like, oh, what about Eui Will it's in terms of the top ten. He's just spread the thought thing that guy's only made one error this year. Well, it's ten prospect as well, which he'll be in the next update. What he's doing right now is outrageous. But when it comes to like the offense defense combination, I think of Arius and Willets right now as the two guys that are just really showing it on both sides of the game, and I agree. I think that's just what we're seeing now with with Arius Is. It just feels like he's impervious to slumping because there's different ways that he can go cold and then still be able to provide value in so many different areas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two more guys here, Colt Emerson. This is a big league conversation with the Seattle Mariners. Uh, Colt Emerson, Why should nobody be concerned that the savant page is really blue and the bubbles are blue?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I would be too worried about it, but I do I do get that, Like, hey, the big leagues are tough here. This is a big leap for him, you know, and I think I think the big league spin is affecting him some. Uh.
Speaker 1: He's still hitting his.
Speaker 3: Which I think is encouraging overall, and you've seeing that power that we've talked about just that's continue to grow for him, shine through. But also like he's got a seven to seventy six oh ps. I know a lot of that is Homer driven, but what if I I don't think anybody would have expected Emerson to be getting his power wise in his first stace of the big leagues. But the bats of all not being there, point being like, the bats of all is going to come along. He's like, that's I have zero concern about that. When you've seen this kid swing at every.
Speaker 1: Level and you see that just the feel for the barrel that he has, that part's going to come along.
Speaker 3: The fact that while he's battling through that, he's still able to get his a swing off enough to hit six homers, have a triple five doubles, I think. I think overall, it's still encouraging. He's got to be more selective, right, He's got to cut down on the whift. I'm not too worried about that when that's the most confident aspect I have of his game.
Speaker 1: So I feel like with Emerson, and also you know.
Speaker 3: He's bouncing back and forth from short and third and whatever it may be, and I think he's going to contin need to develop into a really solid defender in either of those spots.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be too concerned about Colton.
Speaker 3: I think this is really good opportunity for him to get these abs now, because I mean, this is a team that should be in the playoffs pretty much. No matter what, it's just gonna be kind of where given how soft the al is, and you want this kid working through all this stuff so that he's hitting his stride in August September, and I think that's exactly what's going to happen. It took him a few weeks to get going and triple A. And mind you, this has still only been one hundred and one played appearances at the big league level.
Speaker 1: I think he'll get going.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, we judge politicians for their first one hundred days, so why can't we judge major league baseball players by their first one hundred played appearances. Last guy that we're going to talk about the top prospect in baseball Jesus mid Day, just to quick check in, there's not much new with him. Honestly, it's kind of like a whole Serve month for him. It's just been solid the entire time. And he's nineteen years old in the Southern League with an OPS over eight ten. It's just hard to wrap your brain around what this guy's doing month in month out, day in day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For the Biloxi Shuckers, Yeah, I think Holden Serve is the number one prospect in baseball is not easy to do, right with all the talent you got behind you.
Speaker 1: So I think that's that's just the big story there, right, It's just the dude.
Speaker 3: Is consistent, and we talk about just the challenges that kind of come with being that one of the youngest players at the upper levels, and he's the youngest player at the upper upper level. You figure there's going to be a slump at some point, right, there's gonna be this, Okay, you hit the wall, because it's just a difficult, just consistent battle. As for just personally life wise, being the youngest guy out there all the time, but also just the quality of pitching you're seeing day in and day out, the guy that these pitching staffs don't want to beat them, even in the minor leagues. Like, there's so many different things that I think that feed into that, and it's just really not affecting him, and I just think he exudes superstar Like I just don't think he feels like the youngest player out there, and I think he feels like he's the best player on the field. At least he looks like it when you when you just watch the way he goes about his business. Every time he's out there, he's already eclipsed you know, the most homers he had, he had he had six homers in one hundred fifteen game. Last year we talked about like the raw power turning into more game power. Seven and sixty two games already this year, it's been really fun to watch. And the fact that he's cut the strikeout rate by five percent jumping up to double A compared to playing. Yeah, his strike up rates on five percent from where it was at at low A last year. Now in the Southern League this year, that is ridiculous. We're going to see him in triple A, I think, sooner rather than later. And then I'm very fascinated by the big league situation here. I don't see him getting up there this year unless he just goes scorched earth and in triple A. And you know, some of the guys that they audition at third base don't work out and they want to get him some reps there.
Speaker 1: But I think it's going to be a next year thing.
Speaker 3: That said, though, it seems like he depending on how the whole lockout thing goes and everything, he could be an Opening day like surprise Opening Day candidate I think, depending on how he finishes this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and a big thing is they won't need to add him to the forty men roster this offseason, so they won't they'll be able to work with him throughout this process. So that'll be an interesting wrinkle to this. But that's what we got, man, that's your top ten check in and yeah, easy piece.
Speaker 3: Last question I have with for you real quick is what are the odds you think they could pull off a pre or pre debut extension with him close to zero.
Speaker 4: At this point?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I agree, I just he's going to play this thing through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you never know. Can't rule it out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think that's the part that's going to be tough. But I won't count the Brewers out on being able to pull off one of these deals. We'll talk prospects with you later this week. We've got a heat cheat coming up. Thanks as always,