Speaker 1: Right justin middle of the field forty five fifteen bring Russ in front of a leading Lions in his way. I am Jeff Joniyacklitz is not Donny go up? What was like playing for Coche gooddom Ah.
Speaker 2: I don't want to answer any questions like that. Sixty one yards? What's Sunday stroll for? Justin Field? Bears et cetera brought to you by Miller Lte with the voices of the Bears Jeff Joniac and Tom Thayer.
Speaker 1: A Bears team who did not play their starters on either side of the ball came out pretty strong and managed to put a big lead together before losing to the Indianapolis Colts twenty four to seventeen in Indianapolis and Lucas Oil Stadium. Welcome into our Bears et cetera podcast for our instant reactions with Tom Thayer. I'm Jeff Joniac and we are sponsored by Miller Light. It's Miller Time Chicago. B J Walker the starter played a quarter, but Tyson Bagen came into the second quarter and got our attention. He was nine to tenants, scoring on a two yard touchdown run before giving it over to Nathan Peterman. Just give me some thoughts on all three quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I like what I see out of all three quarterbacks. I like PJ. Walker.
Speaker 3: I like his athleticism. He's a similar attemplate to justin Fields. But now I got to believe that the quarterback competition is open because when you look at what Beage it did and how he performed tonight, and you look at the calmness within that seventeen play drive that resulted in a touchdown. He hit receivers in stride, He made the right read to receivers to.
Speaker 2: Make sure that they had run after the catch.
Speaker 3: So I like what I see them, and I wasn't disappointed by Nathan Peterman. He counted on the receivers to make some big catches even though they were covered. He understood the window of opportunity. The NFL doesn't stay open long, but he still put it in a catchable position and these guys were able to make catches. So I'm super encouraged about the development of the quarterback position. And it's all about three weeks. And when you add a quarterback in the mix during the second week of the preseason, it really makes it interesting. And I think actually it puts a little bit of pressure on PJ.
Speaker 2: Walker.
Speaker 1: All right, Walker one to four for just six yards. On the day thirty nine to six, the quarterback raating Pagent nine to ten seventy six yards ninety eight point three. But again the calmness, and I agree with you. He shows it on the practice field as well, just kind of knows exactly where to go with the ball, throws a catchable ball across the board and Nathan Peterman ten of eighteen, one hundred and fifteen yards. Derrese Fountain, he was our postgame guest on the Bears Radio Network with Jason McKee, had himself a day tom six targets, five catches, eighty six yards and a beautiful thirty five yard touchdown. Also made a big catch to set the Bears up for a last minute chance to try and get in the end zone. And he's a former cult Listen.
Speaker 3: The best thing I like about Dorris Fountain is immediately when he was interviewed by Jason McKee at the end of the game, the first thing he brought up is the value in his important role on special teams. You don't want these guys, Jeff, only focusing on how many snaps are going to get as a wide receiver during the regular season or during a game. You got to see what is their contribution in special teams to make sure that they have a wide variety of skills and they can add their skills in a lot of different waves to a team.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Also, we got to talk about the running of Roshan Johnson. Seven carries in thirty two yards. When he was in there, he was moving guys. They were going backwards. He is not one to give up a lot. He's not going down easy along of fourteen on his day today. But it's just how he runs that's grabbing our attention.
Speaker 3: What I like about Roshan Johnson. He never looks to freelance. He understands where the point of attack is and he cuts accordingly. And it's the running backs that understand the blocking schemes. They know what is going to be the biggest impact against the defense in how to break off of it. And that's what I like about Roshan Johnson as much as anything. Is confidence on his interior vision. A lot of young running backs only want to escape to the outside, but Roshawn Johnson is willing to take it in the inside, challenge the tackling and the willingness of defensive backs and linebackers, and you see what his value could be to this backfield.
Speaker 1: We're brought to you by Miller Light Official Beer the Chicago Bears tastes like Miller Time Chicago, And it's also brought to you by PNC Bank Official Bank of the Bears. How about Robert Burns the undrafted are running back today because he's a fullback on the depth chart backing up Kyrie blasting game. But eight carries forty yards five yards of carry, twelve long. He did fumble the football, yep, and that one certainly led to points for the Colts. But overall, I like how his explosiveness as he shoots out of the backfield.
Speaker 3: You know, it would be interesting if we could track a running back to where the point of attack is their decision to take it outside or inside. Because Robert Burns is not going to be an outside burner. He's gonna be an inside vision guy a lot like Roshan Johnson. Then he's gonna challenge the willingness of guys that are gonna come up and deliver big hits. But he makes the decision so clear when he puts his foot in the ground, he's getting positive yards attached to it. So as you brought up Rochhan Johnson, I also wrote down the name of Robert Burns because I think they have similarities in their inside running style. And then you think of Robert Burns, how can he contribute on special teams five eleven two twenty two. He's a thick, powerful body.
Speaker 1: That's funny because Rochan's listed at six two to twenty two. He's at five eleven two twenty two. Robert Burns out of Miami went to Yukon, went to Miami, Florida for a time. Both of these guys initiate contact. One ran a four to five eight, that's Rochan. Burns ran a four to six to six. I mean, but he's thick, he's muscled up.
Speaker 3: But can you attach their speed with vision? Because you can be fast, but does your vision complete the run? And that's what I like about both of these guys is they understand the defensive front their face, and they understand where the vulnerability is of their tackling and they're able to attack accordingly.
Speaker 1: And he plays special teams.
Speaker 3: He's got to and I think he can. I think there's a lot of different duties that he can do. You know, he can be a big time blocker on kickoff return, he can be a blocker on punt return. He can be on the punt team. So when you look at a guy like Robert Burns who's showing running back instincts, but that he's got the size and the power and the willingness to play special teams, you're talking about a three position player right there.
Speaker 1: He could be a target obviously for the practice squad as well. Back to Fountain real quick. He six catches now in the preseason. He's had big plays thirty five yard touchdown, twenty six yard catch tonight, twenty five yard catch last week, and making catches during training camp. He brought us to our attention early in camp. He's continued he did the other day. Also, Simba Webster's done the same thing. They will have decisions to make. Simbo targeted four times for three catches. Fountain six targets, five catches, had a couple of catches last night as well. Isaiah Ford caught one late for twenty five yards. He's made some plays as well. We're also brought to you by United Airlines official airlines of the Chicago Bears. All Right, Thomas focused on defense now overall, aj Thomas five tackles that was early in the game, Michael Walker the newest edition out of Atlanta five tackles, Kendall Williamson, the rookie out of Stanford five tackles, and Davian Taylor a new guy with five tackles. So the two new linebackers who really didn't practice at ten combined tackles.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, listen, I like the guys that are come on the scene late and then they kind of play some inspirational football because they're no they're fighting for their football life. But I can't, you know, ignore the fact that Jervon Dexter junior or Jervon Dexter and Zach Pickens, Zach Pickens, you know, they played well again, So they are making penetration. They are making significant defensive line progress. I think when you look at the performance of the defensive line from a year ago, you're gonna need young guys that come in here and have an impact on this football team. And so those are a couple of bright spots that I like, and it's hard to ignore. Terrell Lewis here's a guy two weeks in a row, with the type of length he has.
Speaker 2: He gets around the corner.
Speaker 3: Well, he's got bendability and athleticism, and he stripped the ball. So like when we were talking to Matt Eberflus, he says, look, if our defensive end puts the ball on the turf, it's our requirement, our obligation, our goal to get that.
Speaker 2: So I like, no, no, he said, he's gonna look right right.
Speaker 3: But I like what I see up front because I think if this defense is going to take a major step forward, because I like what I see out of the defensive backfield, it's gonna because it's gonna be because they have seven or eight guys that can contribute upfront.
Speaker 1: All right, So some of the things that happened that so that forced fumble was won. He also mentioned the near interception that we thought was picked.
Speaker 2: I did Tyreek.
Speaker 1: Stevenson in the end zone. It was a touchdown from Gardner Minshew to Winfrey for eight yard. I thought for sure he picked that pass.
Speaker 3: So it's gonna be in the zone here from where we're sitting, Indianapolis is in big white letters. So his hands were above his head, and he has white gloves on and.
Speaker 2: It kind of everything blend into everything.
Speaker 3: And that's why I thought that he I thought that's why I thought he an interception. But the positive thing about it, now, there's two weeks in a row that Tyreek Stevenson should have had an interception. If he capitalizes on those opportunities during the regular season, you know, I mean, he's going to be flashing, and so I'm excited.
Speaker 2: For what I saw.
Speaker 3: I like his reaction, I like his willingness to tackle, and I just think he makes that position much more competitive.
Speaker 1: Well, he's always around the ball, and that's what I like too, that at a minimum you're around the ball, good things are going to happen. Also, aj Thomas recognized as well by Matt eber Fluse on the defensive side of the ball. But Lewis with a sack. I gotta say, Zach Pickens, he continues to impress me too. He had a good game last week. He had three tackles. Early in this game, he had a quarterback hit and a tackle for loss. Dexter had one tackle. Some of these guys that we're going to be looking to the future with and then futures right now for these young guys to help be in that wave upfront defensively.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what Ryan poles. That's why he went evaluated these guys with the scouting staff and figured with the athleticism, the length and the strength of these guys have that they could be immedia contributors. It's not like you're required right now to be come in here and be a starter and play sixty snaps a game. No, you got to be a heavy time contributor if at about thirty snaps a game.
Speaker 2: In Inside the Rotation, Busy.
Speaker 1: Heard Seltzer, the official Hard Seltzer of the Chicago Bears, and score huge savings on an impressive lineup of items with jewel Osco for you. This handy app features hot digital deals on everything from premium produce and savory snacks to butcher fresh meat and more. Get additional details at jewelosco dot com. So the week now turns to the final week of the preseason is the final chance for guys to win roster spots. There could be more additions, there could be more subtractions even this week as waivers come about. The final cuts are not doing until after the game against Buffalo League white. It's on the same day now, But does that change the attitude of the week. It's going to expect it to be really hot during the course of the week. I'm not sure exactly how that plays into their plans, but when they go back to getting ready for a Buffalo team and you will I that it's not going to be anything other than you will see starters in this game. Will that make you feel a little bit better about tuning up a little bit for the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not going to deny the fact I'd like to see starters play because there's such a big gap between the end of the preseason and the regular season. But you know, Jeff, one thing that influences players, and Matt said it with us after the game, we're going to treat this week as a game week in our preparation. That puts a different feeling in your gut, because when you start OTAs and you start training camp, you're just trying to get to the next day because it's such a hard time of work. But now you're getting ready and you're going through what would be a practice week, what would your life be like and the regular season, so you know, it's imperative that these come out.
Speaker 2: These guys come out with a hard working attitude.
Speaker 3: It's imperative that the guys that didn't play in the game come with a practice attitude unlike any other week because they haven't hit anybody now since Thursday. So you think of the length of the time from those starters from the last time they practice to the next time they practice. They got to be ready to go. This is not something that you have a day to amp it up. This is when they get full pads on. Whether it's one hundred and fifty degrees or fifty degrees, they have to come out and have a high tempo performance.
Speaker 1: You know, there's always overreactions with every game, regular season or preseason, but you know there's going to be a lot of conversation about Tyson vasion.
Speaker 3: There should be ye from these hands, no question. You know who you were saying that ever since you saw them. The game's not too big for him. And I think that's one of the things that impresses you most because, oh, you know during the time he came here, Oh, no one's ever come into the NFL from Shepherd.
Speaker 2: You don't know how he's going to react.
Speaker 3: Is it going to be you know such, you know, is he going to be intimidated by the type of talent he sees? No, because he's got knowledge, He's got an understanding of his job requirements. He knows the anticipation of routes. He put it on, displayed it, and he was the second quarterback inserted into the game. And that just tells you what the coaches feel of him. They want to see PJ. Walker succeed because he's the most similar to a guy like Justin. However, it's all about who plays the quarterback position the best and who can do have a wide variety of skills to show the coaches that he can play here.
Speaker 1: Game day snacking costs for good foods. Chunky guacamode made with hashavocados, tomatoes, onions, so doantro in a squeeze of lime juice. It's the perfect snack to watch while the Bears win. Score some today at your local grocery store. Game day is GWAK Day, Jeff Joni k tempt there. This is Bears, et cetera, and we, as always, are brought to you by Light Official Beer. The Chicago Bears looking forward to see a good Buffalo team, another good opponent. We're going to obviously grade the first snaps more than others, but it's always fun to see a good team come to town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I care about you Bear, I care about the Bears. You know what I'm saying. It's an opponent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an opponent saying. I'm just I'm just being an antagonist. I'm that way because I'm the youngest of my family.
Speaker 2: That's what I've been told.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you know, listen, I like that a good Buffalo team is coming into play against the Bears, and I think that's what the Bears fans want to see. But I think if you can walk off that field confidently an injury free, then it really provides a little bit of spark for you getting ready for the start of the regular season. And that's what we're that's what the Bears organization is concentrating on. Is week one of the regular season, as much as it is important to play that last preseason game well.
Speaker 1: And hopefully get some injured guys back. None are serious to the point that you're concerned about Week one, but you'd like to get him back, and certainly the middle of the defense. Tommy, we're talking about Jermaine Edmonds. We're talking about Eddie Jackson, Jakwan Brisker. These guys have not been able to play with the new additions, and he can Gotway and DeMarcus Walker trying to get healthy. So the defenses where the majority of the issues are, and then the offensive line where is Nate Davis at.
Speaker 3: You know, I think Nate Davis is in that ramp up period where he's going to start contributing more. I think he's going to be a real help to Darnell.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I think Chris Morgan would like to see his five guys in there with a couple weeks of practice so they can have that chemistry and gel together. But listen, man, there's three weeks left before the Green Bay game. I know the Buffalo game stands in their way, but it's about preparation and know the system better to gain that chemistry. And I think this week did help him against practicing against the Indianapolis Colts. But you know, it's about getting them ready to play against the Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 1: All right, Tom, that's gonna wrap us up. We'll talk to you next week on both Bears Etc. And Bears Weekly. The official beer of the Chicago Bears tastes like Miller Time Chicago. We appreciate you in the United Airlines Official Airlines of the Chicago Bears. Keep joining us on these podcasts wherever you get your podcasts Spotify, We on YouTube as well, also on iTunes, and make sure you check us out. We hope you enjoy what we've done so far. We'll talk to you next week from Indianapolis with Tom There. I'm Jeff Joniak. We'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 2: Bears