Speaker 1: Welcome into Jagson, presented by Carshield. It's Monday, August fourteenth. We have Jaguars actual football to talk about in terms of they played a preseason game, which we've been dying for because we've been you know, sweating mount in the sun at training camp. So things are legit, and I think some of the younger players we've been talking about really came out and showed out. And that was what I was most impressed by from that game.
Speaker 2: I think all the rookies did. I mean, maybe you could say Eric Hallett, but you just go down the line and every one of them. John did something that was noteworthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's what you look for.
Speaker 4: I've gotten a striking number of emails from people upset about this or that, and the first team offense didn't start fast. And look Doug talk this morning. He wants to start faster.
Speaker 3: But is there a big concern on your part.
Speaker 4: That the offense isn't gonna be good? None, So relax about the offense until we see it a couple of regular season games not work, It's gonna work. What you wanted out of this was to see the young players you wanted to see guys. As they step up, they certainly seem deeper. I thought the depth issue was overrated last year. I thought they were fairly deep in key spots. But it looks like they have some young guys who are gonna be key and good for the future of this franchise.
Speaker 2: And by the way, apologies to Derek Parrish and Eric Hallett if they did something. You know, I didn't see every Worokie do something, but as I went through my list, there were a lot of guys that did, and to me, that's what matters the most.
Speaker 1: And we're gonna be talking a ton about that today. But let's start off with big things. Because third drive was the charm for Trevor. We thought we would see the starters for maybe one or two drives. Obviously Trevor Lawrence throwing that interception on the first drive, and then you know, they punted on the second drive.
Speaker 5: It's obviously a bit.
Speaker 1: Of a I think Duck said the ball slipped out of his hands there, but just a mistake. You know, he just shouldn't have either thrown out of bounds or you know, let that play go.
Speaker 5: But they did bounce back from that, right.
Speaker 1: They got the fumble on the punt and they were able to get the ball back on that third possession. They put the stage back out there and then you saw the drive that you wanted to see, right. You want to see them finish strong and to get that touchdown pass to Christian Kirk. They went for the two point conversion as well, and I think John were encouraged that at least they were able to kind of finish things off after a little bit of.
Speaker 5: Rocky start there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you want to see him smooth it out over the long run. But this is sort of what Trevor is. I mean, he he.
Speaker 3: Gets it going.
Speaker 4: It can take him a while to get started, and it took him ahi to get stared the other night. I'm not worried about the interception. I'm not worried about anything on this offense. But you know, if they had stopped the game after three series against the Chargers last year, but it gets fired, Yeah, I mean, I'm exaggera and they weren't gona get fired. But you know, so football is a sixty minute game. This is what this team sort of is. If this was a game, they hung in there, they shut them out, and then they got to turn over and went in and scored.
Speaker 2: That's football.
Speaker 4: This team takes advantage of opportunities. I'm starting to think of of Trevor's sort of an adrenaline quarterback and when he gets it going and all of a sudden, it can turn to magic. And his last two throws were both scores, So stop worrying about the first one so much. The offense is gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: People were because they enjoy it, right, I mean, there are people that like defining the negative in something and then work their way through it. He's still a young quarterback. He's got thirty six career starts, thirty four in the regular season, so that's nothing that concerns me. I'll tell you what I lot.
Speaker 4: I guess what, Brian, this team's not going to score in every possession this year. If they did, that would be some sort of record, and they're probably gonna win every game.
Speaker 2: So you relax, I will. I don't want to point at one thing. The thing that I liked the most about the touchdown throw at about the two point was how patient he was in the pocket, how he just you know, and you covered the Patriots, so you know this. When Tom Brady was at his best. He moved in about a three foot circle, you know, radius in the pocket, not very much, just enough to sort of avoid and slide and get the vision that he needed. That's exactly what Trevor did. And the other thing is that we talked about second year in the systems. Second year with these guys together, both Kirk and Jones worked their way open. The quarterback was patient, they knew where they needed to be, and they made the place. That's the second year factor that we have been talking about since the spring.
Speaker 1: I did like a lot of what I saw on that third drive for them. I do have a Patriots comparison coming up in hot takes because I did see something very reminiscent there, which bodes well for this team. As for our big thing number two, that's the youth movement. So let's take a couple a look at some of these plays that we had from Gregory Junior, because we know Brian's been talking about him for a while now and he really came through.
Speaker 2: Well, look when you watch this guy, watch how fast he gets where he's going and then how violently he arrives. I mean, he's bang. You see him, he shows up, he pops off the tape, and what impresses me is that, you know, he's a guy that shows up from Watchita Baptist Naia Division two school and in a short time is making plays like that against guys who are competing for jobs on the Cowboys roster. That was early in the game. Those guys are competing for those special teams jobs.
Speaker 1: And everything we saw from the digress in terms of special teams, we've been talking about it for weeks now about you know, making your mark there and that's how you get your roster spot. And there's got to be you know, probably five six players I saw making plays that could get themselves a spot from that.
Speaker 2: By the way, he is not just competing for a special team's job this year, for the starting nickelback role because he's good in the middle of the field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think he's going to start at nickel this year. I think they's going to get to Trey Herndon.
Speaker 3: But he's.
Speaker 4: What they needed desperately coming into this camp was for some of this abyss of young corners meaning Braswell and Junior and Brown, for somebody to step up where you felt good about four, five and six, you know, exactly. The three is where I'm just saying he can't get to that third spot. But I would think it's going to be Trey. But you wanted, you know, coming into camp, you worried if any of those guys are out, who's you've seen nothing. Credit to Tim Jones who forced the first fumble and showed again why it's going to be tough to have him not on the roster.
Speaker 2: Hold on on it. I mean, I know Trade's been around here for a while, but people that I talked to say that that is real, that Trey Herndon and Gregory Jr. Are locked in a battle for this job. And it's not just going to be given to the veteran because he's got more starts in a young player, you know, with some uptick. There also one more name we should mention, Devod Wilson, who had an interception that was nullified by a penalty on Christian Braswell on the other side of the field for illegal contact. So it wasn't just brass Well and and the other draft picks and Greg Jr. To Vod Wilson, the undrafted rule who came from Georgia who we've talked about on this show as well came through with a big play too.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what you want to see in the preseason, these names that we've been talking about, that's where you need to show out and do that. And we're going to go over a bunch of that in the B Block Courage just after the break. We're going to come back and talk about a bunch of those young players, specifically the draft picks and what they were able to do in the game, and a round things out with our big thing Number three, Canada's favorite Son. Because Nathan Rourke had a play that ever has been blowing up absolutely everywhere, and I was on the sideline that it went down on and I was I myself just I think I was just like, no way, this man doing this right now because I was like, why is he doing it? And then I was like, oh wait, there's a chance here, because at this point I was like.
Speaker 5: Wait, wait, wait, what are we doing? What are we doing?
Speaker 1: And then it's like, oh wait, he's gonna throw it.
Speaker 5: It's impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big time play.
Speaker 4: I mean it's it's uh, let's pump the brakes on, putt him in the Hall of Fame and he's.
Speaker 5: In Canada's Hall of Fame. Thank you should be.
Speaker 3: A some Jaguars fan.
Speaker 4: He was the Canadian player there understandably going nuts and you always want to see this, and he played well. Besides this, I am now very very curious and interested to watch the quarterbacks, the reserve quarterbacks the rest of the preseason, which I wasn't before.
Speaker 2: That play not remind you of that third quarter play in Denver in twenty nineteen where Gardner Minshew was turned inside out and bent over and ran around and found Rockwall Armstead in the back of the end zone. That's the first thing I thought of, is, oh, I've seen that play before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's I want to see it a couple of more times. Yeah, a consistency, because he looked much much better in the game than he did in any of the training camp practices, in any the OTAs. So I didn't think he had a very good chance to make the team before the other night, you know, or I wasn't sure what was going to happen. Now you have to go with game performance with quarterbacks more than practice. So let's see it a couple more times, Let's see him stack it, and then maybe it gets interesting.
Speaker 2: He's got a nice arm though. Yeah, yeah, you've got some zip on that.
Speaker 5: Were ready for another mania? Is that what you were trying to say.
Speaker 3: With the don't man yet?
Speaker 2: No, And you're never gonna have that because you got Trevor right, that's where the mania is, correct.
Speaker 1: We don't want to get to the point where that's what's happening again.
Speaker 2: Obviously, I've heard and read a lot about wow, what a singular play. Well I saw in the regular season. We all did, right and at the time when when Minshew made that play, it like, whoa, maybe this kid can play because that literally was the exact same play, just going back the other way to a running back.
Speaker 1: So we'll see what he can do for the rest of the preseason and then maybe you know, whether it's here or elsewhere, you know, give himself a chance.
Speaker 2: Oh, that play guarantees he'll be on someone's ross.
Speaker 3: I think he'll be around here.
Speaker 4: It just be a matter of how it.
Speaker 5: Absolutely all right. Well, stay with us.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go over some of those plays from the rookies, specifically that rookie class, that huge rookie class from last year, and how they were able to come through in the first preseason game. Welcome back to Jake Zam presented by Carshield. You can call car shield now. If your cars out of manufacturer's warranty, do not get stuck with expensive mechanical and computer repairs.
Speaker 5: Call car shield now. We finally have some football film to go over.
Speaker 1: It is the preseason, but that's when we get to see the young guys play. We get to see what they have, specifically this rookie class which was huge, and some undrafted free agency and a couple of second year guys that really, you know, maybe we're on the practice squad last year, didn't get a lot of playing time that we got to see in action.
Speaker 5: We're going to start out with let's see what are we going to start out with?
Speaker 2: Tank?
Speaker 5: Obviously we've been talking about Tank for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Right and everybody sees this, but watch eighty five. Watch the tight end make the block. I'm not sure if you can see it from that angle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can see it. It was in tough, Yeah it was.
Speaker 5: It freedom up for that big, long run.
Speaker 2: And that's what you're looking for from a guy who you draft in the second round, to be able to contribute on both sides of the line. It's a great block.
Speaker 5: And that's what they've been talking about.
Speaker 1: Was Strange as well as like you know, Evan Ingrom and Doug has spoken about as well. You know, you may not be seeing as many catches Roun right now because he's blocking and he's doing all the things they want him to be doing.
Speaker 2: And that's he drove his guy seven if you will, exactly seven yards up heel.
Speaker 4: He's I keep hearing how he's a run blocking tight end and he's not a receiver.
Speaker 5: I think he's both.
Speaker 4: Every practice I see him make a good catch. Yeah, and he's a rookie. I don't see why he won't get better and better in that area. And he's already talking to people who understand blocking far more than I do.
Speaker 3: He's already a high end blocker.
Speaker 4: So if he supplements that by being an average receiver, you've got a really good player there.
Speaker 2: That's important because here's the name we have not brought up in training camp. Chris Manhertz, who was here for two years and a powerful part of the running game, is now in Denver. So you're gonna need Breton Strange and Luke Ferrell, who by all accounts are really good blocking tight ends to be able to do some of that.
Speaker 5: Do you think they're gonna carry for no matter what?
Speaker 4: Yes, totally, And in this day and age, you almost have to because it does tight ends a disservice to call them all the same thing, Meaning you basically have Luke Farrow and Brittain Strange are your run tight ends, and Angerman Prince are your move tight ends.
Speaker 3: So teams keep two because you need a backup for each starter at that spot essentially, and.
Speaker 2: I think Strange has that ability to do both. I mean, we've seen him on the practice hurt make excellent catches, so it's not like he can't be that guy too.
Speaker 1: He's going to be one that'll be to see where he will be at the even the end of this season. Second year, third year, I think is going to be leaps and bounds just because of how quick he picks things up.
Speaker 4: He looks like a guy who could really be a monster next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, time to bloss him in this offense. Get used to what Doug wants to use with the tight ends.
Speaker 5: Doug gloves this tight end.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's go to defense for our next player, because we've been talking about him as well, when we talk about the fifty three, Yes, here Abdullah he was, his presence was felt, is what I will say. In game one he got a sack, which you know, you want to talk about the pass rush all day. Here's your guy. He's coming in. He's got the moves. Jeff Logerman and I were talking last week about he just feels like Abdula has the sense, right, He just he knows what he needs to do. He may not, you know, people say he's undersize whatever it is, but he finds a way. He's gonna make a movie. Fine, I'll do another move. Like he's just prepared in that way and has a way of finding being where he needs to be at any given time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll be talking about him later in the show. Ryan, So I want, I mean a great take that I had that I don't want to bring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right now, like the fifty six, here's the other thing. And look, the guy was a really good pass rusher at Louisville. Yeah, he played the run really well the other day too. You know, they had a guy around here for years named Unique and Gokway who was a terrific pass rusher. But he was two hundred and twenty pounds and when he had to stop the run, he was not a force. This guy is going to be a force. He's broad and he's strong, and he's built to play the run as well.
Speaker 1: I sure hope he does, because at the point, we need a pass rusher, and as we've discussed, that's a need that they have. So they need to build it from within because even at this point they haven't brought in yet.
Speaker 2: And he's not a liability. It's not like when he's on the field, you're gona go okay, we're going right there, not at all.
Speaker 5: I think it's great.
Speaker 1: Where else are We're gonna go okay, Now, we're gonna go to the offensive line because you know, we have to represent Baker County as we do. It's it's tugboat time because not only do we personally like Cooper Hodges. He was out there for a good portion of this game and he looked good at points.
Speaker 2: And he set that up for Deornis Johnson.
Speaker 5: He did. He was he was all over the place.
Speaker 1: You can see him getting coached up by his fellow offensive lineman. And he's a big man, so when he sets a block and he's hustling there too, so tugboat does cartwheels.
Speaker 5: There's there's really little that this man can't do.
Speaker 1: John, When do you see him maybe making his way into the lineup on the offensive lines the next season?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 4: Well, I would think next season. There's some guys Brian who as soon as they get drafted and as soon as they're here, you start hearing it in the water, meaning the people are talking about him. Hey, keep an eye on this guy, and the momentum sort of never stops. He was a guy the first couple of OTAs where you looked at and said, Okay, this is a big body.
Speaker 3: He can move behind it.
Speaker 4: He takes the right approach, He works in the locker room, he sort of gets it.
Speaker 3: He's a mature kid.
Speaker 4: You know. I know you're gonna talk about this later as well. Everything you hear and see. Ind case, he'll start next year without a doubt, you know. And we're jumping the shark on this one, but you know, your right guard, your five time Pro Bowl right guard, is a twenty four million dollar cap figure next year.
Speaker 2: So the Jaguars, you know, they need to be able to plug this kid in and have him be the long term fixture there. Maybe Sheriff has an amazing year and they decide to redo his deal. I don't know, but cap room is precious for this team going forward because of the quarterback. So you need Hodges to be that guy. It looks like he is. And on to your point, he's making the move from four years starting at right tackle to going inside. And you and I were standing on the practice field talking to Trent Bulky during OTAs and he came over and said that this is a guy who's good every tool, that everything you need mentally, physically, everything to be a long term starter at guard. But he's got to do the work well. Watching him pull, yeah, he's doing the work well. He looks good.
Speaker 4: And in this league you need you know, we all spend all off season talking about the twenty two. Well, once the season starts the twenty two, you need thirty five.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 4: And I think they're deep on the offensive line. They showed last year they were good depth, and I think they supplemented that and kept that same depth equation if you will. With Harris and for Taylor, I don't see seeing he reads by a week nine or ten if you have an injury. I don't It feels like he's moving toward a guy that they're not going to have a lot of angst if he would have to come into the lineup late this season.
Speaker 2: No, and you've seen instability at left guard right because Big BArch, who by the way, has just been elevated from the puplace today. He'll be practicing and maybe playing this week or next week against the Dolphins. So you've got submissibility with Tyler Shatley who's had the aphib issue and you're not sure you know when he's going to be able to come back. So Hodges is one of those guys that you know, if he's versatile, it can play the left side, could be active on game day as opposed to one of those scratches all season long. And I would suspect by the time we get to December he might be.
Speaker 4: And my guess is the decision makers feel much much better about that instability at guard knowing this kid's coming.
Speaker 2: He's making this roster. There's no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 5: There for sure.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere are we on to look, Let's do some pun returns because we saw Parker Washington out there decent amount obviously of agnew so he's on anywhere but Parker Washington is a good, viable option, and we've seen him return some kicks, return some punts, and work his way into the offense a little bit as well. But you have to imagine he's someone that they enjoy the versatility that he brings to the game.
Speaker 2: Two things. One, it takes courage to be a punt returner, and you just don't know how a guy is going to react in the NFL with all these guys bearing down on him. He had no problem with it. And second, watch him use his feet here to set up the defender. We've talked about how good his feet have looked through a training camp and he shows it right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's again a good piece to have if they need a backup punt returner. And he feels like a guy who is going to play his way by next year into mattering in the receiving.
Speaker 5: Group the mix for sure.
Speaker 4: He just seems too fundamentally sound, too quick in the right areas. I don't know if his high end is Christian Kirk someday he's built similarly, but but he certainly seems from an early early look like a guy who can produce in the NFL minimum at.
Speaker 2: A four or five. Kirk was the second round pick, right, and and you see how smooth he is, but he's he's this guy was drafted to be that guy, right, to be that slot receiver who uses his feet to gain separation in the middle of the field, and he'll have a role. And I mean again, I think he's on this roster. I think he's got one of the six receiver spots.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: From the first practice of ot AS when he was there, he's never looked lost, never, and that's encouraging and I needed it. Strange, you know, both from Penn State, but they both looked like they belonged.
Speaker 3: Very very quickly.
Speaker 4: U usually guys that look like that bare minimum contribute for you for a few years.
Speaker 3: That's what you went out of the draft.
Speaker 1: Yep, he's in my mind locked up the fifth spot on the wide receivers. And then I feel like the six spot is the one that's kind of up for grabs for people. And then finally we want to do Chris Braswell's interception, because we did talk about the defense and who needs to step up and kind of make themselves known because there isn't a ton of depth in the in the dB positions and and.
Speaker 5: This was good to see it.
Speaker 3: But they really really like this kid. Yeah, he's he's uh.
Speaker 4: I think Doug talked about him on on on the Zoom call this morning. His athleticism, he's and if Doug said this or not, but it struck you when Doug was talking, He's talking.
Speaker 3: About a kid who knows how to play football.
Speaker 4: Some guys are athletes and they and they're not natural players. This kid, everything you hear, he has great instincts. He can play. My sense is they think this guy, if not this year, next year, is going to factor into the five or six dvs are on the field.
Speaker 2: And it's important to note that that interception came in the fourth quarter after he had two penalties, right, the one that took away the interception and another illegal contact. So he was having a rough day, but he hung in there, and that's what they want to see from these kids. Can you hang in there? Can you overcome that? And can you stay focused on the next play? As a cornerback, you know they talk about the island all the time. You're on that island, can you stay on it? And he did and made a great play and.
Speaker 4: He's still fighting through one of the first couple of days of camp, he pulled up on a deep route. He called that, Yeah, he was following somebody and it looked like a hammy. I'm assuming he was a hammy. So he's still sort of getting back to it. But again, I know, Brian, he's gonna talk about it later. A litany of rookies who were encouraging on Saturday, a lot.
Speaker 5: Of good stuff.
Speaker 1: We got our hot takes coming up after the break, the hottest of hot takes after we've seen preseason game one.
Speaker 5: So stay with us to find out what they are. Moved the freight moved the freight.
Speaker 1: Magellan Transport is voted the coolest office base in Jacksonville. You can ply online at www dot Magellanlogistics dot com. Welcome back to Jags Am. We're here in the Hyundai studios and we're gonna do hot takes. We got a little game action, we got to see a little bit of what the team might be bringing to the table. So we're gonna start off with hot takes. Brian, I will start with you today.
Speaker 2: I think this has a chance to be the best draft in Jaguars history. And here's why. Because I count John eight guys who legitimately by the end of next season could be starters, if not starters in the sense really key players, right, Anton Harrison will be a starter. I think Breton Strange is going to be a starter. Tank Bigsby I think could be a starter, if not a starter. He's one of those guys. He's gonna have a lot of right, Yeah, right, Jackson, Ventrel Miller, Parker Washington, Yasira Abdullah, Antonio Johnson, and I just added Christian Brasswell on your recommendation. So that's eight of thirteen guys that based on what we saw first two weeks of camp and how they pay it off in Dallas. You can look and go, yep, yep, yep, you could have eight starters out of one draft. You get that. That's a tremendous draft. That would be the most productive draft in Jaguars history.
Speaker 3: You have the best draft in Jaguars history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: If he can trevor that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I mean you know what I mean. That's why I changed from best to preduc Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's I agree.
Speaker 4: And even if all those guys didn't work out, because I think a couple of them Ventrel Miller. You wonder if with Lloyd and Muma inside there uh.
Speaker 2: Looked on as a twenty three million dollar cap figure.
Speaker 4: Coming up, right, But Lloyd and Muma could still well But you mean starter, right, And I don't have any doubt that everybody you mentioned will matter over the next two or three years, whether it's starter with Parker Washington, whether he's a starter, or or whether he's catching forty for six sixty or you feel very good if somebody's injured and he comes in, and that's what you need at a draft, becial when you have thirteen. Clearly that's what they wanted. They felt like they were not deep enough and if they needed to get talent in here for the next four years, there's a lot of confidence they did. Tyler Lacy, who you didn't mention. I don't know if he's ever a starter, right, be a role player, but you need eight or nine.
Speaker 2: Here's nine by Cooper Hodges. I forgot him on the list. Yeah right, yeah, there's I mean, this looks like the most productive draft. It's got to play out, obviously, but I would think by the end of twenty twenty four, you could look at this draft and say There's never been a draft that good. So hats off to Trent Bulky.
Speaker 3: And he didn't mention my guy. You see her.
Speaker 2: Abdula, Sure I did. Oh you did well?
Speaker 4: That was my takeaway, and it's a hot take because of this. I have no confidence in most rookies to give you anything that will help you be a better team in your rookie year. And I'm exaggerating that. I've just seen so much where their learning and then the next year they're just really good. This kid might be able to give them some pass rush and some impact.
Speaker 3: I think he's going to.
Speaker 4: Start, but you need three or four guys who in your packages can affect the quarterback. He was playing against second team the other night. But as logs Is said, often there's a natural element to that sometimes, and this kid seems to have it. They knew in Indianapolis when I was covering them that Robert Mathis, a fifth round draft pick, had three and a half sacks as a rookie in his second year. They all said, this kid is going to be a pro bowler someday. And I don't want to compare the du a bit of Mathis because Mathis might go in the Hall someday, but there's an element there of a young kid who bare minimum can affect the pocket this.
Speaker 2: Year, from the moment he stepped on the practice field, you knew he belonged absolutely, And then that's high pricks, especially from veteran football players. But talking to these guys, they have all said that he belongs.
Speaker 1: It's cool because now that we've entered that point of where you have your base of your team already set, they're drafting to develop as the term goes. But that means you come in and you have a specific role to fill. You're not coming in trying to be, you know, dealing with what Trevor had to deal with him coming in and being the man immediately. Not everybody can do that or thrives in that environment. And there's a lot of these people where Tanks coming in, he's going to work with Travis. He's not just the guy we see Brenton come in. He gets to learn from a great tight end room. Anton Harrison has a loaded offensive line that he's working with to help him every single day, and he'll have a little more time to maybe get up to size. I mean, he's a huge person to be in with, so I say, get up to size, but put on a little more bulk and then by the time you know, second third year, he's going to be even better.
Speaker 4: So there have been way too many years where everybody you mentioned Brian would have been starting.
Speaker 5: And that's not the best development for a lot of people. It really isn't.
Speaker 1: So to be able to have that luxury at this point point that really sets the team up to be successful for many, many years to come, which is what we want to talk about, where it's like, oh, this team is not just going to be a one and done situation. It's like we are building this to be good for a very long time.
Speaker 2: And just one more noteal quick. You mentioned Tyler Lacy has a chance to play well. I talked to him last week coming off the practice field. He looks gassed. I don't whether he noticed it every day off the practice field gassed. He's from Texas, Oklahoma State. I said, it can't be the heat. He said no, he said, I want to prove every play that I belong. I feel like every play I have to find a way to stay well. It's that kind of attitude, that kind of approach gets your places.
Speaker 4: He's a rare guy. And sow Is Hodges in the sense that usually with rookie lineman and Anton Harrison fits this a little bit. You can see where Anton in a year in the weight room is going to look more like Juwan Taylor did when he left and really be one of the top offensive tab He's gonna be good. But once he gets size and strength, his man's strength, so to speak, he'll take you to a next level. Look at Hodges and Lacey physically, they already look there and most rookies don't look that way. So that's gonna be interesting to watch these young linemen they brought in.
Speaker 1: You guys went with the young guys. I'm gonna go with someone a veteran presence on this team, going with Christian Kirk.
Speaker 5: That's my hot take. It's he is the lynch pin for this offense. And I know we talk.
Speaker 1: A ton about what Calvin is going to bring to this team and Trevor's.
Speaker 5: Development, all the other core that he has around him.
Speaker 1: This ship is this is going to be successful if as far as Christian Kirk can take it, because he has become the person that Trevor trusts and he goes to and feels he can throw it to no matter what. And it's similar when we talked a little bit about the Patriots earlier, how I felt Brady really worked with Welker and then Edelman later on in his career. Yes, he throws to Randy Moss who's got twenty plus touchdowns, but Welker had the most targets and the most yards in a lot of those seasons where they played together because that was his safety guy. He knew, he trusted everything, He knew everything about the mannerisms for Tom Brady. And I feel like Christian Kirk has worked so much with Trevor that he's really getting to that point where he knows he can be where he needs to be. He knows what Trevor's mannerisms are, where he prefers what he prefers, And when you have that type of relationship with your quarterback, that is invaluable, especially when you know people are doubling up Calvin or that opens up the field for everybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I couldn't agree more. I think Christian's number one on that list. It will probably take him a little while to get it with Ridley because there just has to be some game stuff where you just trust what's going to be there. But I have no doubt watching Calvin it's going to be there. The intriguing thing is, you do feel like Trevor right now has at least four guys who are primary weapons who can beat single coverage, who he's completely comfortable throwing to. Jimmy and Keenan still remain the best two wide receivers tandem in franchise history. They didn't have three and four like this. This is this is this is intriguing.
Speaker 2: I wasn't all that Christian Kirk was the guy who got free as Trevor was so patient in the pocket and made that beautiful throw. I would agree that he is one A. In terms of connection, I would say Evan Ingram is one bee. I mean just a hair behind him. Watching them on the practice field and the way that they work. So he's got guys that he has connections within Zay, but he got Zay in the back of the end zone too. He won't take long on Ridley. That's what makes me so optimistic. And I even think about an interception. The relationship he has with these guys, the connection he has with these guys, find another quarterback in the league, maybe outside of my homes, maybe Burrow in Cincinnati that has this many targets that he's connected to so strongly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you mentioned Za, and I know we'll get out of this segment. To me, Zay's had the quietest, really really solid camp going every day. When I look at my notes, he's had two or three catches fifteen to twenty yards. The trust there a donut, you know, I don't know if you have a yards and he'll have ten touchdowns. What you know about Zay, He'll have at least five catches that you remember at the end of the season for touchdowns where you say, Okay, that got him the game, and he had about that.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Weapons that matter that make you better on offense.
Speaker 5: Can't wait to see.
Speaker 1: It all come together, all right, say with us, we're gonna preview what we got going on the rest of the week. We had to Detroit and let you know all about that after the break. Jags fans, if you want customized Jaguarts furniture for your home, you can check out zipchair dot com to browse all customizable options.
Speaker 5: Zipchair is furniture.
Speaker 1: For fans, and we talked a little bit about that Nathan Rourke play. You know, he's falling down, he gets the touchdown. They played it in the stadium for his old team during their game. Of course, his teammates where he played in the CFL last season, and then obviously they were very excited to see their teammate doing so well here in pre season and hopefully making a name for himself.
Speaker 5: But pretty cool to see there.
Speaker 1: And hopefully we'll see a little bit more of work when we head to Detroit this week because we're doing joint practice for the couple days this week and then they're playing the Lions on Saturday. So what do you guys enjoy most about kind of joint practice? Is it just seeing new people, seeing your team go up against some different players.
Speaker 2: I like validating opinions, right, I mean, because you can see Calvin Ridley line up against I don't choose a young cornerback and think, well, Calvin really is having the best camp possible. Right now, You're gonna go line up against the ones in Detroit. Okay, let's see you do it.
Speaker 5: What's going to look like?
Speaker 2: I fully anticipate that he will, but it validates opinions. If Gregory Junior goes up and has a big day on the practice field. Yep, okay, he's making the progress.
Speaker 4: And it's a week where the reps between ones during practice a matter is my which is what the fans will see during the game. Like there's a chance some starters may play less on Saturday because of the because they feel like they've got the reps.
Speaker 3: And Doug alluded to it a little bit.
Speaker 4: I don't put words in his mouth, but that there could be some younger guys, the greg junior level player who's not necessarily a starter, who they could want to get reps against ones to give them that experience. This is the meat time of this process.
Speaker 2: So Bucky and I get to sit with the coach and some players the night before the game as we're doing our preseason production meetings, and we had a long conversation with Doug about the value of these matchups, and he said that every rep on the practice field is as valuable as any rep in a game in the preseason.
Speaker 1: That's saying something I think it is and I think we'll see a lot of that, and it's just exciting to see the competitive nature of it. You know, you're not going against your own team, so it'll a lit'll be a little bit different out there. We're going to be live for jags AM on Wednesday and Thursday at Detroit's training camp and hopefully a little bit cooler there, so we'll be outside and.
Speaker 2: A lot cooler there.
Speaker 5: I'm looking forward to. Please join us on Wednesday and Thursday. We will see you then.
Speaker 1: As for until then, have a good one.