Speaker 1: It is Thursday, August twenty fourth. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District and now a guy who was born to Ripel Mosquitos, J. P.
Speaker 2: Chackrick, I wish welcome in. It is Jaguars Happy Hour. It is Thursday, preseason week three and Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District. Florida's water It's worth saving. We're on ten TOEXL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. We're everywhere. JP Shadrick with Jeff Logaman. Preseason Week three. We've got starters playing time. We've got the remaining roster battles coming down to the wire. The roster has to be down to fifty three fifty four including the international Pathway player by Tuesday at four o'clock and then at five o'clock today the Doug Peterson Show. We'll hear plenty from Doug Peterson's press conference earlier today and Mike McCoy, Jaguars quarterbacks coach. I talked with him earlier this week. We'll hear that conversation coming up. Jeff Lockman, Good afternoon, afternoon, JP. We've made it. The training camp is over. Isn't that amazing? I answered, that's a really good thing. Yeah right, it's over, and now one more preseason game the starter is gonna play. We'll have plenty to discuss next week, recapping that the roster down to fifty three. Excuse me there while I adjusted my We've got to make sure you can I got it now, I got it now, I got it now, all this new techniques. I'm excited because this is the last I guess you could say of these games that we really don't care about, all right, I mean, well, this would be the one we care about the most. You do because the starters are playing and you want to make sure that they get through it in a in a very healthy way. But at the same token, when everybody goes back to the bench and nobody gets hurt, everybody's gonna breathe a sigh of relief and go, thank goodness. Now let's get this game over with, right, I mean, is that not what's gonna happen? Tick tick tick tick tick on the ball. Yeah, I mean, let's let the first team guys, get some snaps, get some reps, you know, kind of get a little closer to being in game shape, because they're not going to be in game shape once they get to Week one. It's just it's a process. You know. When they had four preseason games, kind of the the standard procedure was Game one, you play a quarter. Okay, Game two, you play a half. Game three a half, and then you come out after halftime to get used to the half type, because let me tell you, nobody's ever done that before. They've got to learn how to do it and well. And then Game four was kind of a throwaway game. And it's completely different now with the economics of the game, the three preseason games and the additional game that goes into the regular season. So it's very different now, and there's not really any standard procedure for it whatsoever. I mean, I've read this week that the Las Vegas Raiders, I can't believe I got that right. Las Vegas Raiders are planning on playing nobody in the last preseason game. I mean, so it's just so wild how different it is from every team. And I don't know what the Miami Dolphins are going to do. I hope they play some starters. They've had some guys dinged up. I know the wide receivers were down. They didn't practice on Wednesday. Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle too have spoke with the media this week, but who knows. We haven't seen it. I haven't seen anything official from them yet. I hope they played, just so that you know. The last thing in the world that you want to do is okay, is if you've got your starters playing and you're planning on playing a half and then all of a sudden, the Miami Dolphins roll out and don't play anybody, and then your starters are playing against a bunch of backups. Yeah, or against a guy who's really trying to go out and make make something of him, you know, try to put himself out there to make a team. So he's going above and beyond and maybe a little too far or whatever. Yeah, I mean it's full speed. I mean, you can't live is live. But I understand what you're saying. You'd rather have an eight year vet who knows how to play instead of a rookie who's just trying to make the roster. Totally understand it, and so That's what you also maybe have to be thinking of if you're head coach Doug Peterson in Miami rolls out there with no starters playing, which I don't know if that's the case. Head coach Mike McDaniel Gaden gave no indication so far in his press conference, and to be perfectly honest with you, it's hard to get any kind of indication from a Mike McDaniel press conference. He'll take the scenic route. Aroun a lot of issues for sure. I mean, am I the only one that thinks he's hard to listen to? Interesting? Interesting? That's a good interesting coach. That's a good term. The Dolphins Jaguars game is brought to you by Ticketmaster, the official ticket marketplace of the Jaguars and the NFL. Let's hear from another interesting guy. Offensive coordinator Press Taylor for the Jacksonville Jaguars spoke with the media Wednesday and was asked what to expect from the starters.
Speaker 3: Similar thing as you know we talked about week one or preseason week one of seeing just a clean operation. You know, you want to see clear communication. It's our chance to be at home. You kind of want the butterflies of these guys getting in a game and understanding they're about to get tackled. You know, there's pressure on the line if you don't convert your your punting and all that type of stuff.
Speaker 2: So you really just.
Speaker 3: Want to try to get that smoothed out for the guys, so that week one, it's not the first time they've felt that way or communicated in a huddle or broken a huddle together and all that stuff. So clean operator from a communication substitution standpoint, and then you want to see him execute again. It's still somewhat of a core game plan for us. It's not exotic stuff. So you just want to go out and see clean execution out of these guys making plays too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in and out of the huddle, right, get guys from the sideline on time. You know, you don't want any delay things to happen. Yeah, that's got tweak one stuff that you want to seek, right. And just asking Trevor Lawrence about it earlier this week in the press conference that he had after a practice, you asked he talked about press there we do a little more game plan. Well what does that even mean? And Trevor was basically like, well, there's a little bit more. It's still base. Yeah, going up against different books. There's cards, there's some of that well, and to get people an idea if let's say for a regular season game, let's say that's one hundred percent playbook, you're going to have like half of the playbook in this preseason game that you would have for regular season game. But nonetheless, it's a game plan because you want to you want to evaluate a lot of these guys in the situation. Okay, we got to give them a game plan. We got to see if they can understand the game plan and see if they can execute the game plan. You want to see them in a as close to game week kind of feel that you can possibly get without having. Okay, you know what, when we get zero coverage, we're check in and we're gonna go, as you know, a fly route over here and this over here. You know you're not gonna do that to that extent, Okay, but you're going to give them some plays and you know, I'm sure that they had you know, the opponents, they identified them by jersey numbers, so they can get a feel from that standpoint, both offensively and defensively. Because it's just another step in the evaluation process to see if they can handle that. And some guys do great when it's just being athletic and playing a game plan that's very simplified in week one and week two of the preseason. It's a little different when you hand them a game plan that, okay, that has adjustments, that has maybe ten times the number of play calls as a preseason game number one or preseason game number two. You know, because the one word I think that you'll hear me use a lot in this show is the word trust. And I talked a little bit about earlier in the week. And the reason I bring this up is because you have to be able to trust players to do what you're asking them to do. And so this week, by giving them a game plan, you're going to see if you can trust them to learn and assimilate a game plan and to execute that game plan. If you can't trust him with this next step, then that brings a little bit of doubt into the thought process of certain individuals. And then if you're in a situation where, Okay, we've got a guy that we have experience with and we know in the past that we could trust him, and then if you got a new guy that may be showing some better skill, but you don't trust them, then all of a sudden, it makes that decision very hard. Trust is a big thing. Trust from the standpoint can they handle it mentally? Can they handle it physically? And then can they be available? Can they be dependable? I mean, all these terms you always hear about always kind of fall back on that word trust, jap and so I hope you don't get tired of me saying it. I mean, if this was a Groucho Marx show, it would be the secret word of the day and you would have said it like five times already, and the duck would have come down from the ceiling and then mister Rogers have a word of the day. I think a lot of shows have had similar ideas. Should break out my sweater? Yeah, I've changed shoes before you come in here as well, Jacks fans won't customized Jaguars furniture for your home. Check out zipchare dot COmON browse all customizable options, Zip Chair Furniture for Fans. We're on ten to Xcel ninety two point five FM. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, The Doug Peterson Show coming up at five o'clock, let's hear from the head coach. Other news today, Doug Peterson with an update on the status of defensive tackle to Von Hamilton. He's doing extremely well.
Speaker 4: Obviously, it's a non football you know, related injury, and he's doing extremely well and our doc said that he could be back in our building as early as next week, so we're happy for that.
Speaker 2: All right. That's the update, which is not quite an update of exactly what's going on. But it is a non football back injury. Obviously, it is a non football injury. That's the direct quote, correct, Okay, and so I find this interesting. Okay, well, obviously it's a non football injury. I think that this is well, I don't know if it could lead to something, but it certainly would allow the setup of if you have to place him on the non football injury list, which JP. You know the rules very well and I'll let you explain them. So basically, if you're non football injury at the start when they cut it down to fifty three, I think you're you have to be on there for a minimum of four weeks. That's the way I understand. And if you're on the NFI list, non football injury list, you do not count correct against the fifty three correct, And so I just find an interesting it. Doug used the term obviously this is a non football injury, which they said it in the statement when it happened. Okay, they've repeated it a few times. Okay, so is if it's a non football injury. Okay, Now they have the ability to put him on the NFI list, which doesn't doesn't You don't have to use a roster spot to keep him. And let's say he's going to be a couple of weeks away into the regular season until he's ready. That gives the team a little flexibility from a roster management standpoint, okay. And the other thing, he's going to be back in the building next week's like when like Monday? And then what's going on next week? What's happening? Okay? Well, I mean my point is that, okay, he's not even in the building now, right, which this is serious. I mean, if he's not in the building, I mean okay, if he's not in the building, is he at home resting, is he at a hospital? I mean, you don't know. Because here's the reality. The coaches don't have to give any injury information out in the preseason if they don't want to nothing, So Douglas doesn't have to do anything. But obviously it's a non football injury because they've said so multiple times. They've made it clear. Yeah, so, I mean it'll be interesting. But here's the reality. He's one of their two best big guy defensive lineman that there is on this roster. Devon Hamilton and Roy Robertson Harris are the two most influential big men on this roster. When I see influential as far as how they can impact a game day atmosphere and wreck people. And if all of a sudden one of those two is not available, and Devon is arguably your best into pass rusher that you have from the success success standpoint. If you look at the numbers last year from PFF, he was the highest success rate interior pass rusher that the Jaguars had. And just look in your eyes at training camp. He's a big dude and he's been winning all the time. Say, has Brandon Sheriff slowed him down that on on one? No? No, no, no, I mean that's how powerful Devon Hamilton is. I mean Brandon Sheriff is you know, kind of gotten, you know, pushed back a little bit, and rightfully so, because Devon is a big dude, and having him on the sideline with a obvious non football intro apparently so we've heard that. It's that's tough. I mean, okay, could have opened up a roster spot for somebody else, I don't know. But the one thing I will say about that position, got says is another guy that's factors in there. Ledbetter is another guy that factors in there. Led Better I thought, had a very good game in Detroit, looked great game. Gott this not so much but dependable. Nonetheless, you know what he is though exactly. He's been a very dependable guy for a long period of time, and you just don't want to have an injury at that position because, you know, out of all the positions that you have on his football team, I would say interior defensive line, you don't have a lot of depth. That's one of those positions that in the future I would expect this football team to end up using some high draft picks on that position at some point in the very near future. Yeah, they were very confident in those starting three, kind of big three guys Vodokosi's already down with a foot, that's right, and he's still day to day, week to week. There's no route he's not. He wasn't going to give many injury timetables. That's not Doug's m oh so in the press conference today, he's different guys, healed different ways. He wasn't going a definitive route. Well, and he doesn't have to, that's right, you know. So, I mean, why would you do that, especially when your opponent week one, the Indianapolis Colts, is tracking everything that going on with your roster. I bet, I bet. I'm gonna guess they're probably watching this show right now. I don't think they watched the show, but I guarantee they watch they I guarantee you they watch it. Doug, Doug's pressure, Oh, I bet that's that's on Jaguars dot com. As is this show?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think they watch it. Hey, guys, an Andy, how are you doing? We're here? I don't think so. I bet they do, but I'm sure they're watching Doug Peterson's press conference. Probably they're gone or any kind of information that they can get. We'll come back in a moment. See what we can get into next, we'll get into the offensive line. Some shuffling up there, a little beat up there too, Yes they are. It's ten to XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. It's Jaguars Happy Hour presented by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. We're back at Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving. JP Shadrick, Jeff Flogoman is Jaguars Happy Hour on tintin XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. Hit us up on the X. Is it the X? No, it's just X at JP Shadrick not calling the Twitter anymore, well, because it's not at logs five to six formerly known as Twitter. Yes, posts on X no longer tweets on Twitter. You get the idea I do. I'm a big X guy. Yeah, yeah, you're a social media maven. Maam. You always have been. Offense and the offensive line. We talked about a lot of the defensive injuries, just a moment ago. But that transitions over now to the offensive line, and especially the depth on the offensive line. There's been some of that that has been dinged up recently. You know, the front, if you will, The first team offensive line for the most part, seems okay, ready to roll. It's Walker Little at left. Ben BArch is gonna get his chance in this game. It sounds like on Saturday at left guard, and the rest you know, Fortner at center, Sheriff at right guard, and Anton Harrison's working through his shoulder issue. Let's see what he gets done on Saturday. Probably be working through it all year. Okay, So there's your starting five, at least on paper going into week one. After that. I just about that. You don't thinking, well, maybe not well, you're saying Ben BArch at left guard. I mean Tyler Shatley last year started twelve game. Tyler Shatley hasn't practiced in two weeks. I mean, I think that's My point of that is is that I think that's well, let me bring this up, is to counter to your point. How many games has Ben BArch played in the last year. Well, he's been out for ten months with a knee injury. I mean exactly significant knee injury, hasn't played a lot, literally just retur in to practice last week. Okay, this is gonna be his first game action back since the knee injury. Where's he at? I mean, okay, we'll find out Saturday. And well, I mean, is that would that be enough to say, okay, let's start him? You know what I mean? I mean go back to that word trust day. Is that enough evidence that you're gonna see with your eyes to say, okay, we trust him. He has had his first game action back since suffering a significant knee injury. Or do you trust a guy that maybe doesn't play at all in the preseason that had an aphib event. I mean, I think this is this is gonna be interesting to watch to see what they decide to do at that position. And I'm not saying that Bartch is not gonna start. I'm just saying that that's something that bears watching. Well, here's a question then, right, I mean, because Doug Peterson today said it was asked, who's the swing tackle right now? I mean, that's an easy one, Blake, And he said Blake Hans. Well, Blake Hans is listed as a left guard in the depth chart right now, starting left guard correct. So if for some reason BArch isn't ready to go, but that was his past game, I mean, the flip card for this game, we'll see. I'm just saying this. Here's my point. If BArch isn't ready and Shatley's not ready, hands, hands, is it? Who's the swing tackle Hans, He's doing all of the above, Yes, all right? Who else is up? Well, I mean, you're you're gonna have either Shatley or Barad And what if they're not ready, Well, it's a great question. If they're not ready, then it's probably going to be a Chandler Brewer. Okay, I mean, but but now you're starting were things are getting thin, That's what I'm saying. I mean, but if you're offense, I'm just saying. Trust is a word again, absolutely, I mean, and I think that, uh, it will be interesting if all of those guys are not available. But I would be surprised if all of them are not. But it's it's not uncommon to have a starter to be the backup at another position or two on game day, you know, for example, like what we're talking about, Let's say Blake Hanson ends up having to start at left guard because Shatley and BArch are not quite ready. Okay, And if all of a sudden, you had an injury that happened to either Anton Harrison or to your left tackle Walker Little Okay, Hans would come out as you're starting left guard and would become the left tackle or the right tackle, and then you'd put in the next guy up at guard, which if it's Channel Brewer or Kroy Krunk. Cronk's a dependable guy too. They like him. Samuel Jackson's a rookie. Ye, Samuel Jackson is I don't think he's gonna make it. Daryl Williams is your backup center right now. I like Daryl Williams, And you know what, I just want to say, kudos to Darryl Williams. He played every snap at center at the game in Detroit. I mean, in a preseason, how many guys play an entire game. What a showcase for him. I mean, yeah, what a great opportunity. He's a solid center. I mean, it's a little nasty to Donald He's got a lot of the whistle stuff. He's got a little bit of that, uh, what's the right term that I can say? On radio. He's got a little a little spice to him. That's a good word. That's the other word of the day. A little zest. Yeah, trust and zest. Now I like him. I think he's good. He's a he's got a real slow, low center of gravity. He's strong, he's got good movements, got good balance. I mean, I think I think he's a he's a good backup center. We talked to a lot last week and Doug Peterson talked about this last week after the game that Cam Robinson's performance last week was not Cam Robinson level like or like it should be for a veteran of his caliber. What does he need to do this week? How do you bounce back? Play better? And I mean answers played better? What was he doing so wrong last week? Well, when you have when you're starting left tackle is playing in a game which none of the opponent starters are playing, you would expect him to play well, especially given that that is one of the last opportunities that he has for about five weeks to be able to get those reps. And so you want to end up having quality reps because when after five weeks he comes back in if all of a sudden. What the reps that you saw before he left weren't great? Do you have any trust putting them back into the lineup being gone for four weeks? Sing? Right? And I think it was disappointing he Oquara, I think is what the pass rusher's name was. The backup Detroit Lions defensive end was given him fits. He got pushed back at times, he was a little off balance. You know, Cam's capable so much better. I mean, he's a big guy that's got great athleticism. Certainly expect more out of Cam and and I hope that this game shows a lot better. But the reality is, I don't how much will he play this game? Because this game is about getting the starters ready and then also maybe getting the backups ready. So I mean, I would assume that he'll play the second half, but then again I don't know. I mean, because the priority is is getting the guys ready for week one? Right, Yeah, would you want to see your possible swing tackles exactly? Well exactly so he may not get the number of reps that he got in Detroit, but but yeah, I mean that that was not not the level of performance that you expected out of your your starting left tackle play better when you have the reps. Absolutely, And I here's the thing. I hope that he has a plan for the four weeks that he's out, actually five weeks in reality. Okay, you don't think he'd come back for the second London game. No, I mean he could, he hadn't practiced in four weeks. He could, But do you trust him? I mean, and that's you. You want to see something in practice because you haven't seen anything for for a while. And when I say he has to have a plan, he's got to go somewhere or be somewhere where he can get some type of comparative training to what he would receive here if he were practicing playing. And I don't know what the answer to that is. Is it a a private trainer? Is it you know, going back to Alabama and then you know, doing some practice drills with the guys at Alabama. I don't even know if that's allowed. I don't know. It's a good question. I don't know. But if you can well and do football stuff I don't know about on the field, that's a good question. Well do football stuff can you do? I mean, obviously he can't put pads on in a helmet practice against the freshman. But I mean, if if he could go out there and do some of the drills or I mean, I don't know, but yeah, you want to make sure that he is doing something to maintain the the football conditioning, the football mindset, the football footwork, I mean, all of those things. You want to try to make sure that you're doing it. And also try to simulate a game, because you know, when you come back after after being out for four or five weeks, I mean, you know, if all of a sudden, you're expected to start, or you're you're needed to start. I mean you're talking, you know, sixty five plus plays is average for a game. I mean that's that's a pretty sizable jump stamina. Yeah. Deal. PR Productions, the official event production company of the Jags, has everything you need to bring your next idea to life. Visit PRI Productions dot com. Plenty ahead. Kay Stevens joins us in studio when we return. Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. JP Shadwick, Jeff Logman. We're on Tensen XL ninety two point five FM on this Thursday, Jaguars dot com, Jaguars YouTube, all the places Kai Stevens is with us as well. How do you spell your X handle?
Speaker 5: What is it? Are recalling it X because I don't really want to do it?
Speaker 2: Is literally called X formerly.
Speaker 5: Twitter in the line it's like Staples Center in LA, like Hinesfield, like just let me be old and crotchety about it. My full name is k A I N A N I, and then Stevens is st E V E N s okay on the X on the X as you would say.
Speaker 2: That's your handle on the X where you post things Jaguars related training camps over Kai, how about that?
Speaker 4: I'm excited.
Speaker 5: Well, we sall have like one more day of practicey ish things, but it's not open to us, right or is it tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: So we're done. Yeah, so we're fine in our world.
Speaker 2: It might as well be over until Saturday. Yeah, I mean day before games, like a walk through, that's right, Yeah, I mean it's you know, funny games, call outs, make sure everybody knows knows their depth, brief meetings and then a day of rest, some meetings at night before bedcheck that they might actually move that. How about a night game? Would they move that to Saturday morning the meetings or no, that'd be the night before?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, you well, I mean in the preseason a lot of times you would have the night meetings the night before the game, and then you would also have meetings, and you're not going to have them early. You want guys to sleep in to get as much rest as they possibly can and then have like a late breakfast brunch and then maybe a brief meeting then and then a break and then pregame meal and then let's play football.
Speaker 5: Do we know how the new Are they going to come here to the practice facility or they go straight to the stadium on game day?
Speaker 2: Most of them go straight to the stadium because everything, Yes, I mean, we don't know that for sure because this is the first time serious. Yeah, but my guess is they go straight there. Everything's kind of over there. They wheeled it over there, I think the day before and I'm sure that George and the equipment guys are telling everybody, look, make sure that you have everything in the bag, because that's what we're carrying over there. That's right. But I give you a funny story because we were talking about bedcheck. So I'll never another trust story. Trust. Okay, Well, there's the word of the day is trust. There's a lack of trust, which is why you have that. That's my point, serious lack of trust. So when when I was in New York, are kicker's name was Pat Lee. He was like forty years.
Speaker 5: Old, okay, and he's getting bed checked.
Speaker 2: And he was getting bed checked. You had coaches that were ten or twelve years junior that were bed checking them. And I'm like, this is ridiculous. What we really need to be doing was bed checking our coaches because our coaches back then were out drinking and partyingm and but we're we're bed checking our forty year old kicker. I thought that was ridiculous. Was he always there or did he miss Pat? Yeah? That wasn't going anywhere. Okay. He was my neighbor. He actually literally lived right next door to me and loved him because he would always invite me over for dinner. You know, I was a young, single guy, and you know his wife was a good cook, and so I got free meals and then he'd come over to my house to drink beer and dip his tobacco.
Speaker 5: It's like I need to break Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: Gonna say, I think we buried the lead. We need the Jeff Logaman stories of bed check now, I was always a bed checking and the stories that whether or not the air now, but it was always fun that you would sometimes be in and you were always trying to embarrass the bed check e because the door, you know, you're the bed check had they had the master key, it would be the bad checker, the bead checkers. I said, check e, you're the check bed checker, they're the checker. He had a master key, and I guess somebody at the hotel had a master would knock on your door and then open it, so it's not like they waited for you to come and answer it. They would just open it up, peek your head and make sure you're there and and then say goodbye. And there were some guys that would that would wait for the bed check and it would be sometimes wouldn't have a stitch of clothing on a purpose just to mess with the bed checker, you know. But anyway, Oh they're there, all right, Yeah, yeah, I didn't do that JP. Of course, why would.
Speaker 5: You, you would never.
Speaker 2: Very respect of always very usually the bedcheck coach has got a signed to it. Back in the day, I don't know how they do it now, but like every coach had to do it, and everyone had a different night. So one night it was this guy, next guy, next night it was another guy, and everybody had to do it. You know, at some point like training camp.
Speaker 5: I would love to see Phil Rauscher do bed checks.
Speaker 2: That would be fun. Dene coach, he might be one of the best coaching personalities that I've ever I've ever been around.
Speaker 5: If you ever blessed to talk to him, it's it's a time.
Speaker 2: He's awesome. It's a trip. And just wait till you hear some miked up he was these guys. Yes, I mean talk about must see miked up TV. Yeah, I mean a lot of it.
Speaker 5: We had to bleep and cut out, but the stuff that made it is still entertaining.
Speaker 2: That's the good stuff. Kayle. What's the most pressing issue for this Jaguars team going into Saturday? Uh?
Speaker 5: Health obviously, on the offensive line, I think, just because with the moving parts and when you make that final roster, you want to go into it. That was a position of depth when they went into the season. Obviously a lot of the backups got hurt in that game in Detroit, so kind of solidifying where everybody's at. They have a lot of versatility, so it shouldn't be difficult in terms of specific positions, but you still want to have as much depth as you can because protecting Treffor Lawrence's game plan number one, keeping him upright, and then I'm just excited to actually see a fast start because we talk about having a fast start all the time and for.
Speaker 2: A long time.
Speaker 5: We got to make that happen, right Like you come out and Trevor throws a pick in the first we can't. That's not going to help. That's not doing it. So I would love to see an actual fast start out of them on Saturday, and know it's preseason, but you know, with as many starters as they are going to have going in that game, it will be nice to see that fast start.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was the last time we actually saw a fast, true fast start around here. Straight scoring drives a minute, I mean, how many people I'm talking.
Speaker 5: Like at least okay, score on your first drive and then you know, I don't know, maybe field goal something like that, like just some I would like to see it consistently when they get the ball in their first possession. There's points out of that that would be great down the stretch.
Speaker 2: Last year, they're behind early, They're having to play catch up all these games. I would rather have a strong finish than a fast star. I mean, right, I mean sure, right. I mean it's about winning, but you don't need as much of a furious finish if you start better. Well, no, but I mean you still have to play. I mean, look, there's so many different we can talk around this seven way focal points that you can have in the coaching speak world. Okay, let's have a fast start, let's finish strong, let's play sixty minutes. I mean there's a million different things. I mean, you just want to play well and you want to win. Okay, however you get there, I'm all four fast start, slow start, medium start, strong finish, slow finish. Okay, as long as you win, I'm all four.
Speaker 5: Score one more point.
Speaker 2: Roight yards, cloud of dust whatever, that's what it takes, but it's just funny because it's just I think it's a lot of coaching speak. And look, the reality is is that this is a better football team I think than last year, especially offensively, and I think we will see a fast start. I don't necessarily have to see it against Miami. You want to see it on a regular basis once they get them in the regular season to where they're starting good. I don't want to say fast because do you just want to see him start good? And you know, and obviously you know, as long as you win the game, it doesn't matter how you do it. One more point, baby, it's all. It takes, all it takes. Kyle Stevens is with US and Jaguars. All Access starts tonight. It is your triumphant debut on the show.
Speaker 5: Indeed, let's do this. I'm excited. I'm excited to see some of the fans out and.
Speaker 2: About strings sports brew, good beer.
Speaker 5: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Never do something great food, too good beer, very good food. I recommend the Wings, the Alabama sauce.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he wings on air. That's a little unprofessional.
Speaker 2: I'm not on the air, so I guess what I could eat? Are you coming to. I don't know, I might. I figured you might if there's wings involved. I mean I think you're I think you owe me a beer for what from strings last year? I think I bought you a beer, did you? Yeah? I know you owe me lunch you've been holding. I think I think the time you bring that.
Speaker 5: Up needs the favor.
Speaker 2: Oh great, Yeah, of course, trying to get somebody to have a beer with me. Okay, well maybe i'll show up. I don't know. Cool, You're gonna love it over there, guy.
Speaker 5: I'm excited. Hopefully everyone tunes anything. We're on Fox, right, So all ectos at seven?
Speaker 2: Yep, all extra seven, Me, you, and some guy named Martina.
Speaker 5: I mean he covers the team a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think his name is Martina Martino something like that. I think his name is uh, Brennan. I don't think that's Martino. Yeah, a new guys, a new guy. Check it out seven o'clock. Kay, you'll be on there with Jeff and Brennan Martino. Yeah apparently. Yeah, that guy. I think he's a sports tank or somewhere in town or something. You know, he'll never last, Kui, Good to see you have a great show y. Kay, Stevens joining us and if you're looking for the MVP of the truck game, look no further than Ford F one fifty. Loaded with impressive capability and designed to dominate, workplay and everything in between. This truck makes tough look easy. Your local four dealer proud partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars. This is Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District. Florida's Water. It's worth saving. It's Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving. JP Shadwick, Jeff Logman on tenon XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. We're everywhere and the Jaguars will be in the bank for the first time in twenty twenty three Saturday, the Game presented by Ticketmaster, the Miami Dolphins and the Jacksonville Jaguars at seven o'clock kickoff time officially seven oh seven. We'll go on the air with the public salegate show at four o'clock and then at six o'clock it's countdown to kickoff on the Jaguars Radio network. You can hear all that right here before the seven o'clock kick, And should be a nice crowd, should be great weather, and let's see some football at the bank. Last time the Jags played a game in the bank, the wild card playoff game against the Charger. Tremendous game, unreal, tremendous game. And I hope and again Mike McDaniel hasn't said anything, or least Ward hasn't gotten out of Miami whether the starters are gonna play or not. But I was really hoping and I'm still hopeful that Tua will play, because when he plays, he's he's a good quarterback. I mean, you were just looking at the stats before we came on the air, and I I asked you, and you figured it out just because of who were playing this week, I said, who is the highest rated quarterback from last year? I mean, if we were doing a different team this week, you probably throw out Patrick Mahomes, But he was the second highest rated quarterback last year, and Tua was the highest rated quarterback. And so I was hoping that they would play Tua. And then also, what is the one of the number one positions that need to be evaluated on this football team. For the Jag corner corner right, and what better way than the speedy receivers in Miami, I mean the Cheetah and uh Jala Jalen Waddell. I mean, if those two guys played with Tua, I mean, wouldn't that be a great opportunity for evaluation. I don't know if they're going to play or not, because both of the wide receivers were limited in practice or did not practice this week, did in practice Wednesday, They've they've I think one of them had an abdomen injury a couple of weeks ago, so it's been kind of that throughout camp. But I I wish we could see him. I don't know if we will, but I hope we see starters, you know, I mean, there's nothing worse than having a game that your starters are playing and they're not playing any starters and I can't It happened last year and I don't, Well, it happened and we went against the Dallas Cowboys. Yeah, that's right, in preseason Week one. You know, you go to Dallas and you know, the starters play for a couple series and Dallas didn't play anybody, You're like, eh, yeah, to a first and rating Patrick Mahomes second, Jimmy Garoppolo, third, Jalen Hurts, fourth, Gino Smith fifth. Gino had a tremendous year. How about that? I mean tremendous year, but got paid for it. But you know what I'm looking forward to also, even if to it doesn't play, I want to see this body that Ryan Clark so aptly described. So obviously he's he's co host with Fred Taylor and Channing Crowder on the Pivot. We saw them discuss things with Trevor Lawrence. Was the Pivot. No, it was on ESPN, and I guess Clark was talking about his body and how he said something about it he's not training or whatever. So Tua in his press conference, to his credit, was like, hey, keep my name out of your mouth. You don't know my training habits. I don't think it was the name. He was talking more about the body, right, but he said, you know, keep my name out of your mouth. That was his quote. And so Ryan Clark today like put out this long apology about, Hey, sorry I questioned your training and all this, and it was it was kind of weird social media. It's kind of kind of odd. So now having read that about, I want to I mean, I want to see what looks like I'm going to guess Tua has not been sitting on the couch eating cheetos. Well, supposedly he's been doing jiu jitsu and he's gained some weight. He's trying to so the whole thing with that, right, he took all these jiu jitsu classes to try to learn how to fall differently because that was the case with his concussions last year he was hit his head. Maybe he can embrace differently or roll or whatever that is. I mean, if it works, great, I mean, I'm I'm all for. First of all, I think martial arts training is a great way of complimenting your training towards any athletic endeavor. And so I mean it's it's cool, But I mean I don't quite see the the jiu jitsu learning how to fall, and I don't know, maybe I miss him something. But but anyway, nonetheless, I want to see too, and I want to see if he looks like one of those dancing girls. Did you do? Ryan Clark talked about any jiu jitsu when you were playing any of that stuff. No I wish I did taekwonda, I wish I did judo. No, none of that. No I wish I did because you know, one of the things that is definitely true. And we used to actually call one of the pass rush moves that I had was called the karate kid move wax on wax off. Wax On wax off. Doesn't the motion right for mister Miagi, Okay, wax on wax off. You know, you change the motion when as a pass rusher, when you would knock the hands down of an offensive lineman, you did that wax on wax off. So whether it be going this way or that way, you were knocking the hands down to get by the offensive lineman. And so we actually called that the karate kid move wax on wax off. Sense to me and then, But so, yeah, martial arts training can be awesome, especially for defensive lineman. They didn't teach you the crane kick though, you can't can't use that. That would be a penalty, Yes, that would be a penalty. But that's a pretty cool move. It's not bad. It worked. Yeah. Time for the injury report presented by Baptist South and the Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute, the official sports medicine provider of the Jacksonville Jaguars. It's a relatively long lee us these days. Von Hamilton with the non football injury back issue, could be back in the building as early as next week, Doug Peterson said earlier today. We'll see what that means when he is back in the building. But that's really about all the team has said. What Doug Peterson said today, could be back in the building fully. Fatakasi with a foot issue and week to week he's walking around with a boot at practice at least was the other day. Josh Wells, with an aductor that's a growing issue, could miss some time, according to Doug Peterson. Cooper Hodges with a patella injury could miss some time as well, according to Doug Peterson, Again, they don't have to give official timetables, they don't have to have an official injury report at all. This time of year, you get credit for being so open. He's been very old. I mean, that's which is great. I mean, you're not trying to hide anything, but I mean I think it's been fantastic. I mean from the fans standpoint, you know, fans always want to know what's going on with their football team, and when the head coach is uh is open and I think that makes it makes it good. I mean, you think it's just it keeps people interested and informed about their football team. Antonio Johnson rookie safety with a hamstring injury, and they're still not sure on the timetable for him either. He's a good football player. Ja they liked him a lot. I mean, they still do. I like him. I'll never forget the first week of practice, the pads hadn't even really gone on yet, and I asked the question of a couple of coaches about, you know who, who's you know, anybody standing out. I know, it's early, the pads aren't on yet, I mean, and Antonio Johnson's name was like one of the first names to come out of multiple people's mouths, and they were extremely impressed. And then and I was like, yeah, come on, Underwhear, Olympics, get me a break, right, And then all of a sudden, the Dallas Cowboys game, you know, pads came on and he you know, shows a little bit, but then you watch I watched the game film from the Dallas game, and I was like, Wow, they're not lying. I mean, this guy makes it look easy, I mean effortless, and very disappointed that he got hurt because I think that he he might have carved a roll out in this defense in some way, shape or form, whether it been in a nickel package or multiple safety package of some kind. I think that he's that good. Listed at six to two, he might be bigger than that too. I mean he's long, yes, and he's not afraid to use that size. Surprisingly physical for a guy that tall. A lot of a lot of that played safety, you know, and he played the nickel in college, which I remember watching the film on him. I was like, you know, hey, he's a good nickel in college. I probably can't do that in the pros. Well, I mean after watching him, and well, maybe he can do that in the pros. I mean, he's he's been that impressive. And the Jaguars had a higher grade on him than the position that he was drafted in the fifth round. I think they had like a like a you know, second or third round pick on him because I remember when after that Dallas game started asking and I was like, hey, look, you know, why did this guy fall? I mean, is there something negative that I don't know about or didn't hear about, and they're like, no, you know. And some guys just sometimes can fall. And especially at that position, if you're a safety and you don't have a ton of interceptions like Cisco had or you know, a guy that made splash plays, I think sometimes it can be hard to get noticed, to get drafted real high, because safety is not considered a premium position like corner is. We mentioned Wells and Hodges in the offensive line. Tyler Shatley has been off to the side since the atrial fibrillation issue and was slated to come off blood thinners. Doug Peterson said, I believe today so could be maybe back on the field next week. We'll see what happens with that. Chandler Brewer was in the concussion protocol early this week, no word on the status there. And Anton Harrison has been playing through or trying to battle through that shoulder issue we talked about earlier. Some other guys. Let's see Shatley working off to the side again today. Dewan Smooth still on the pup list to start camp, and Ross mattisk the long snapper is out of practice with a shoulder issue. There is your injury report presented by Baptist Health and the Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute. So our final thoughts coming up in a few moments. It's the Doug Peterson Show. We'll hear plenty from the head coach and his press conference earlier today. Doug will join us back in studio week one before the Jaguars face the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium. That's a couple weeks away from now, but now it's the final preparations for preseason Week three the Dolphins and the Jaguars. The jag starters will go maybe a couple quarters. Clean operation is kind of been the buzzword this week on the coaching side of things for you today on this show, the magic word is trust. How can a guy earn that with one game to go well or well? Let me give you an example. Okay, I'll give you a couple guys. Okay, last week, you've got two guys that are on defense that are rookies that are looking to make an impact. Abdullah Okay played a lot last week because the Stars didn't play. Also was asked to play special teams. Ventre Miller I got quite a few snaps at linebacker last week, also had some more snaps on special teams. Sure, they need to be better on special teams this week because if they're not going to show that they can be better, then they can't be trusted. They got to show that they can be better in that segment of their game so that the coaches can say, hey, we trust you to not only play positional defense, but also to be able to be able to be a contributor on special teams because if you can't, they may go to a different option to do it by Tuesday at four o'clock. The old rule thumb. Look, if you're not a starter, you have to be a contributor on special team and what are you doing here? Then you're not gonna be on the field at all. If you can't contribute on defense or on special teams, you're drinking all our gatoring. Well last week, you know, because the starters didn't play, those guys kind of double timed. Yeah, they didn't played you know this, you know, offens or defense, and they had to play special teams. Some of those guys were gabs gassed. Absolutely. But if you're not doing one of the two. Then what are you doing? Hey? Yeah, you gotta do some JP. I was the first round pick in nineteen eighty nine. You know what. I played all defensive snaps. I played on all special teams. You were a core guy. I played every special team. Larry Pisqually was a special teams coordinator. I played punt, punt return, kickoff, kickoff return, field goal, and field goal block. It can be done, and I sucked a lot of win. That's Jeff lock of it. I'm JP Shaddrick. I thanks to Kay Stevens and our entire crew coming up in mere moments the Doug Peters Show. We'll hear from the Jaguars head coach in his press conference from earlier today as we preview preseason Week three, the Dolphins and the Jaguars coming up. Thank you for listening to Jaguars Happy Hour.