Speaker 1: They get a little they called Melo broadcaster from Atlanta, Georgia walking to the ball show.
Speaker 2: I go by the name of I go by the name you know, bat the building, My bad ya, yay, what's up, big dog? Oh man, I'm pretty fair for a square Okay, pretty fair for a square. Rock with that, we got new music out, Yeah, new music, man down, it's my ego, Yeah, quintessential ice Cube. You know, West Coast flavored, West Coast beats, special guest appearances from you know, some of some of the homies that uh that I've been in the game with for a while. And you know, to me, if you're a Day one fan, Day two fan, Day three fans, you're gonna love the record.
Speaker 1: November twenty second.
Speaker 2: Drops November twenty second, A.
Speaker 1: Lot of tracks on y'all believe it. I saw fourteen. Damn.
Speaker 2: I took a whole bunch off.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of music for a list celebrity movie director actor Ice Cube.
Speaker 2: Like, the's a lot of records. Well, that's that's where I started off making music. So to me, that's the most natural part of my whole career is making music. Movies, you know, get a lot of publicity and they play a lot in people enjoy them in a different way. But I'm still hungry. I still love hip hop and doing music and creating song, getting beats, writing rhymes. You know, that's still fun to me.
Speaker 3: So what do you think about the artists nowadays that you know a lot of artists do have writers.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about that? It's always been part of the game, you know, if you got a writer, I don't. I don't consider you an MC. You know, I consider you're vocalist. And that's that's cool it. You know. I ain't trying to clown but that's just the reality.
Speaker 1: But they're an artist, but just not an MC.
Speaker 2: Not an MC, you know. To me, MC's you know, I come from a school where you had to write, be able to write it and spit it.
Speaker 1: So if we throw on the beat right now, ice Cube can get down with it.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying I can get down with it for sure. You know. Freestyle is not my specialty. That's why they free, you know. But writing is the essence of you know, all great literature. So I'm a writer.
Speaker 1: No man, listen, it's an honor for us to have you here. Now. I was going through a lot of the records. Sanctified, She Sanctified, She sanctified. That's a really good record.
Speaker 2: Snoop Dogg. Yeah, too short, too short, October London tober London. That's a good record. I can't wait for that one to drop. Yeah, me too. You know, I think people are gonna dig it. You're gonna give us a visual to that if I could corral them dudes. You know, they busy all over the world. Where you're gonna find Snoop he on the moon right now, doing you know something for Peacocker or NBC or something. So you know, it's all about corralling them at the right time, you know, trying to pull these four artists. That's jet said all over the world, pull them together. But I think anybody, I think you can do it. Yeah, we'll get it in. We'll get it in. Okay. Cool.
Speaker 1: Now, what's your favorite record off of the project that's coming out overber twenty seconds?
Speaker 2: Man, I love So Sensitive, It's not my favorite. My favorite is probably Ghetto's Story because it's, uh, it's so today. You know a lot of people, you know, a lot of turmoil going on in different neighborhoods. You know, homies, robbing homies, homies, uh, setting each other up, and you know it's it's really treacherous. You know, we all know what happened in Nipsey Hustle and it's a song about that sentiment. You know what happens when when the people you grew up with you can't trust them no more. Now do you feel like.
Speaker 3: When you started becoming successful, you have to stop hanging around like certain type of people?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, if I don't want to go to jail, like and know, I know people that's active. I know people that's inactive. And you know, the more you're doing positive things and trying to, you know, better your situation, you know, the more you have to you know, stay away from the ones that's too active, because you know, you end up, especially in La probably everywhere, you know, you end up with a case just because you know somebody. And so yeah, you know you gotta change how you you know, how you move.
Speaker 1: I just really respected how you transitioned and evolved as a just as a man.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It was very.
Speaker 1: Inspiring just growing up as a youth.
Speaker 2: I just saw that. Damn.
Speaker 1: Now it's to a point where if it's an ice Cube. Anything, I'm gonna check it out, from the Big Three to your movies, to acting you shooting the movie. I want to check it out because your brand has evolved into a like it's past just you as a person, it's ice cube with the brand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'm glad that you know I've gotten to that point. I've always been committed to quality. You know, you might not like everything I do, but you're not gonna be able to say it's trash and I just threw it together and it's just a money grab and Q don't care. You know, I'm always trying to give one thousand percent into the project and make sure that when I put something out, it's worth your time and it's worth your money, and that is not a waste of your time, because wasting your time is worse than wasting your money because you can't get time back. Can't get time back. You can only you can get the money back, but you can't get the time back. So you know, I think, I think because my commitment to quality has been there with everything I do, people trust that I'm not if I if I'm doing something that I believe in it, and I think it's something cool that everybody should check out and be a part of. And so, you know, I'm glad that after all these years, it's reverberated into Yo, the Q brand is official. If he's stamped, I'm gonna check it out, all right, I'm going straight for it. Are you ready? What's the best damn Friday?
Speaker 1: What's ice Cube's favorite Friday movie?
Speaker 2: The first one? Of course, that's the best one. But I think I think it's Friday after the next is Friday? Friday after Next is a closed second. But everybody, so you don't like next Friday, Next Friday? Next, next Friday? Yeah, Next Friday is funny. I think what happened, you know, going through the process of each movie. With the first one, we did what's called a negative pickup, meaning the movie company gave us all the money up front, and we were not upfront. But as we hit these benchmarks and and all we needed to do was turn in a complete movie. Uh. And that's how the first one was made. So it was no studio execs involved in the making of that movie, at least on set. And so with the second one, it costs more to do it. So now since they had more money in it. They wanted to be more involved. No control it, but just give these suggestions. You weren't the happiest with too, is what you're saying. Well, I felt like I might have been listening to too many people when you should have told them to shut up, you know what I'm saying. But it's a great movie. You know, we got we got Mike Epps out of that movie, and Pinky and you know so and uncle uncle l Roy, you know all these you know, different characters that helped, you know, make the franchise healthy and so, you know, I'm proud of the movie. But I just think the first one and the third one is you know, pretty much us without any Sugg studio interferience.
Speaker 3: Now I heard that that we get a new one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's true. Yeah, Last Friday. What's called Last Friday. But we'll see. It depends on, you know, how accepted by the public. You know, we may go after that, another one after that. You know, it's something that could keep going. Because Friday has created its own universe. There's always you know, the characters, you know, but also there's always room to bring in new funny characters that you may not know, you know, like we did with the third one with Money Mike and Damon and yeah, Ricky Smiley. You know it's like, so.
Speaker 3: Who was who was actually supposed to get that role?
Speaker 2: Which one when Kat Williams Money Mike, Yeah, well we you know, I knew Ricky first, so I invited him to LA to audition for a few different roles. So it was Santa Claus, it was Money Mike might have been one more role, and he was just a better Santa Claus, you know in my mind when.
Speaker 1: I but you asked him first to audition.
Speaker 2: Well, asking the audition for a few different roles, you know, like I wouldn't. I didn't want to fly him to LA and just have him audition one role. And that's not unusual. You know, sometimes when it's an actor you really wanted the movie, you'd be like, try this one, try this one, try that one, and we see which one, you know you're comfortable with. And what it was when I saw Cat and I met Cat, he was he just he was Money Mike that day one. You know, he didn't have to act, you know, he just had to have you know, good dialogue. And then he was he was coming to the set with amazing adjustments and changes to the dialogue. And you know, the more he was getting down, the more we was giving him to do. You know, he was like, this is our comedic goal right here. We had a small part for him, but by the end of the movie, as you see, you know, he housed that whole third act and so you know he he is money Mike, you know what I mean. But I think you know, if we didn't find Cat that Ricky could have played Money Mike. But Ricky was a better Santa Claus. I think everybody at the end of the day got the role that they should have, and that's why the movies are so beloved.
Speaker 3: So Ricky Smiley wasn't going to nobody hate knowing chat or anything like not that I know.
Speaker 2: If he didn't come to me hating, you know, I don't know. You know, you don't know who people talk to. But he never said nothing to me about it. He was happy to be a part of the movie. He was more complaining about us whooping his ass with that Christmas tree. How many times we gotta do this? I said, Man, we just got to get every angle now with my ass with the Christmas tree. Nigga. So when you trying to jump out that window. It looks real. Yeah, yeah, that it's just funny.
Speaker 3: You look like y'all was hitting for real with that Christmas tree beating his ass.
Speaker 2: It's a truth, you know what I mean. It's it's like this flimsy ass christ you know, it was just sticks and okay, now let me switch. What's your favorite barbershop movie? Oh man, number one? So the first one? First one, damn like to Too is great, I mean, but my favorite is you know, to jump off.
Speaker 1: Those are usually Now when when you're also directing and acting in your movie, isn't that a lot for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You do. I'm producing, okay, producing. I've directed one movie, which is The Players Club, okay, and so my role in that movie he wasn't that big, so it was it wasn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be. It's really trusting your assistant director, you know what I mean, your first a D and if you trust him, he's gonna tell you, hey, you should you should go shoot that over and you know you get to when you shoot, you can record everything so you can go back and watch it and say, I need to do this, I need to do that. You need to move over here, and then you're kind of directing, and then you go back in and get it right. Uh. So it wasn't as difficult because I didn't have a large role. If I was just to start a movie, it'll probably been a little more difficult to directing that, but it's not impossible. A lot of people do it.
Speaker 1: When you did Triple X, yeah, that's one of my favorite movies of all time.
Speaker 2: Thank you. You killed that. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you. You always wanted to ask you. I was like that, I want to meet him, and I want to ask him this question right here, because you had to go after Vin Diesel. Yeah, did you initially say no or did you be like, hell, yeah, I'm gonna do that shit.
Speaker 2: I said yeah, because you know, it's trip less, like why not? And but I thought, you know, we could have got a better director, and I felt like the director was too old school and we should have had a new, innovative director that could have did some of the big stunts that was in the first one, like the avalanche and all that. So I just felt like, you know, it wasn't my movie to produce. I was just in the movie. So I had the kind of you know, my my man Neil Meritz, and that you know a couple of people from you know, Joe Roff, a couple of people at Revolution. It was their movie that they was putting me in. So I didn't really have the control to say, you know, this director to old school, his his vision, his stunts, the way you do things are are behind us and not in front of us. And so but that was the only thing I thought, you know, the movie could have been directed a little better, but story wise, acting, I feel like I did my thing.
Speaker 3: In you Now, is there any movies that came out that you were supposed to be in but you said no?
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's always hard to say I was gonna be in that. You know, people ask you sometimes early in the process. That don't mean it's all gonna work out. You're gonna make a deal and do the movie. But Minister Society, they asked me to come in and read for Old Dog and be Old Dog in that movie, and I turned it down because I had just done Boys in the Hood then I just don't trespassed and these was like two hood characters, and I was like, man, I'm about to be I'm about tighte cast myself as just you know, the hood nigga.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Uh, so I turned that down. They wanted me to be Enforced Gump as the bubble shrimp Hod and I'm like, I stick on my lips out like that, and so passed that up. You know a few you know that, I was like, Yo, this ain't right for me.
Speaker 1: Now, Ice C as the father when your son played in n w A, did he ask you for any tips or kind of he already studied you on his own, like how did that conversation go?
Speaker 2: I would just tell him, you know, I wouldn't wait for him to ASTs, you know, I would just tell him, you know, not what to do or how to play the part, but I would just tell him in this scene. You know, I'm skeptical, Easy, I'm cool with Rin, me and Dre talking about shit on the side, and I would just set him up for my mind frame. So when he going to those scenes, he was going into it with you know, the right attitude, you know, so to speak.
Speaker 1: You know, I felt like his character was the strongest. I mean, I liked the easiest character as well, but you know, no one could be there. Easy, couldn't be there to actually give him what you gave your son.
Speaker 2: Yeah, between him and Corey Hawkers is doctor dre you know, those three was the strongest for sure. And you know, he did a great job. I mean, I knew he can do it, So I wasn't surprised as far as the look flavor, being able to rap and you know, bring it to the stage. I had seen all. I had seen all of that. It was just him becoming a great actor was what he needed to do. He needed to uh just hone in his skills and work on being that and he did. He did the work. You know, the coach's son got it the hardest always, so we put him through the ring. It for like two years. I was trying to get him to quit, to be honest, because I felt like if he wasn't gonna go one hundred and ten percent, then he shouldn't do it at all because people gonna clown the hell out you if you don't do a good job. You know, It's like they're gonna tell you, you know, just keep your day job and be your son and stop. You know. Yeah, yeah, so I didn't want that to happen to him, you know, we we see kind of like the the backlash that Lebron I hate to work backlash because I ain't nobody getting hit. But but uh, you know, b yeah, well Briannie, you know, I think it's tough on him. So I wanted, you know, my son to be like, hey, if you're not gonna, if you're not gonna do what it takes to be the best, then it's better for you. I'm basically saving you from the humiliation of people clowning you for not doing a great job. So but you know, I'm proud of him because he you know, he put it on his back. He felt like this was you know, his family honor and uh that he was gonna, you know, do right by his family and himself. And it's cool because he he done carved out a career for himself in the game.
Speaker 1: Now, I was gonna say, we got so many things to talk about. I know we got limited time, but the Big Three, yeah, back three, Like, you just got so many successful things. I don't think there's too many people that have so many successful things. The Big Three.
Speaker 2: This is a big deal.
Speaker 1: I remember when it first came out, it was dope to watch, but now it's like a required thing to watch. People go out their way and be like I have to go watch that. Yeah, and you're getting so many retired dope still can hoop ball players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I like that.
Speaker 1: I like how you were very vocal about, you know, the female basketball that's going on right now.
Speaker 2: That was dope U.
Speaker 1: But how did that happen? Like what made you say, all right, I'm gonna start a league called the Big Three?
Speaker 2: Just a fan of hoops, you know, I'm a big fan of basketball, and you know, after the Finals was over and before the NFL come in, it's just that dog days, you know, it's the days of summer sports is not cool. It's just boring. And I was like, man, we need something to fill this void because I feel like this. Everybody I know feel like this. You know, after the finals, everybody got a basketball hang over. They want more, but it's no more. And then you gotta wait ten twelve weeks for the NFL to start to really start, and so you know, when there's avoid in the industry. And then we had a good idea with Uh. I was like three on three has been sitting there dormant, like it's like the little cousin of five on five, but nobody has elevated it to the pro level. And so then you know, you start throwing ideas in the hat pow wowing. You know what it would look like? Man, what if we did this? Man? What if we did that? Oh damn, that's a good idea, and you have to work up four yeah, four four points shot. So you start looking and he's like, man, this is not only a good idea, this is a great idea. Like and then you start looking at your man power and the people around you. Do you have enough connections to bring us to life? And the answer was yes. So now is do you have the passion to do it? To invent us professional sports league, you know, in the middle of all these other huge leagues. And we was like, yeah, man, we got the the moxie, as they say, the balls to do it, and we fearless. So we appreciate you. Just period.
Speaker 3: I want to know, did you really offer Taylor and Clark all that money?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We did. It was a great business decision because if you look at her impact on the game, uh, it was huge TV ratings, sponsors were knocking her door down, and the ticket sales went out to sold out. So you take that same player and now you put her as the first professional female basketball player to play, you know, in a men's league at the highest level. Then now it's an explosion of interests from people who can see if they can do it. So, you know, our sponsors was saying, if you get her, it's gonna unlock millions of dollars in sponsorships for the league. Did she entertain it. I believe she did, but I believe her agents were hating on it because her agents that she has are also NBA. They got a lot of NBA guys that they make millions off of, and the women they don't make that much money off of. So their agents was probably like, yo, are we gonna make the NBA mad and and let her plan the Big three full you know, a little commission and possibly alienate all these you know, these million dollar deals we got going and all these commissions we get with the guys. So I think they was like, man, we're not we don't care if she's making more money. She's gonna go back to the w n b A. We're gonna keep everybody happy. We're gonna keep making our money from the boys and we're gonna, you know, work to make sure that the women get a little more money. Uh So they kind of made a business decision and and and didn't let us speak with her and her family because that's what we really wanted to do, sit across the table and and give our case on why you know, this was a huge move for her and and and women in sports and being paid a fair wage. And you know it didn't work out, but that's cool. You know, it was a real shot.
Speaker 3: Now, when we was on the radio, we had a segment called you know, you got me fucked up? And you said, people who believe that you a mega supporter, got you fucked up.
Speaker 2: People who think I'm MAGA or Trump supporter and all that. And I went out there and voted for for for the Republicans and all this. Man, they got me fucked up. You know, never said that they have no proof. I ain't never endorsed a candidate. So you know, I just think they got me fucked up. And it's just a narrative that's wrong. And why do you think people believe that you support Trump? I think because when I put out the contract with Black America, both parties came to me. I didn't go to them saying look what I got and you should sit down and talk to me. Both of them came to me and said, Yo, you got an interesting document here. Can we discuss it with you? And I discussed it with the Democrats disgusted with the Republicans. And the Democrats was like, Yo, after we win, we'll we'll deal with it. And the Republicans said, Yo, you got some good ideas. Can we use a few of them and put them in our plan. Now, their plan was called the Platinum Plan. That's not my plan, that's theirs. That was done in their own think tank and they came up with that. Mine is called the Contract of Black America. So they plucked a few things out of that contract and put it in their plan. And people are saying, that was my plan, and so they running with it. But they don't want stupid because that's not the truth. Once you once you are an impactful person and you you know you talk to politicians, they will always try to use you as a political football, correct, And that's really what happens. Everybody want me on their team. I mean, you're such a big deal, so I mean, you can't blame it would be. I mean, but we got to be smart enough to know it's a game. You know, if y'all see me, you know, at the conventions and on the stump, and then that's one thing. But you know, I haven't said anything this election, not one thing. You know, people saying I'm telling people not to vote, that's bullshit. I never told people not to vote. I told people you should get something for your vote. And nothing's wrong with that. I ain't no wrong with that.
Speaker 3: Because the Dodgers one, yeah, you're out there before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, energy, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what's cool is they saying I'm the reason why they won. You know, the players are saying this, so hopefully you know that's cool. Yeah, yeah, yeah. You know what's cinema ringe side if they want to live one of them? These Lakers cute, you know, they they're getting it together. New coach. Oh yeah, yeah, they got a JJ Reddick as a new coach, and you know, they they're figuring it out. You know, I think you know, they they won some games that we wasn't sure they was going to win, and they lost some games that we thought they was going to win.
Speaker 1: So I'm just having to carry away about to be forty man, damn broad definitely carrying the team.
Speaker 2: Hey that that's that is a shame. You know, they should find players that can help him or you know, a d is a great superstar that complimentsy. But I think we need one more and then have Lebron just you know, be you know, second half, fourth quarter, help us win the game. Lebron and not you know, he just had a triple double. Yeah, you know, he's uh, you know, one of the best to ever do it. Is he better than Jordan's? I don't, I don't. I don't want to say that they played in two different eras, you know, two different errors. You know, Jordan never faced a zone and and Lebron never faced the Pistons, you know, as far as he faced the new Pistons, but not the bad boys. They can fouls and and so it's just a different style, you know. Uh, but Kobe played in both eras. Long lived Kobe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now, I got I gotta ask this question, right, So from LA native like yourself, who are the Clippers fans?
Speaker 2: I don't know where they come from, No disrespect though, like I don't know where they come from.
Speaker 3: I've never met anybody from La that's a Clippers fan.
Speaker 2: And people be like, nah, you from l A. You a Lakers fan. We all got that one friend or cousin when everybody going one way, he gotta be the only one to say, I don't want to go that way. People being the Clippers. You know what I'm saying. You got a lot of cousins and a lot of you know, as friends who always go against the grain, and they just going to the Clippers just to be disruptive and not be Lakers fans like Kean, like the Knicks and the Nets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, yeah, yeah, so damn hey man, you know the Dippers, the Zippers, the strippers.
Speaker 2: We don't care about that. Man. They need to go back to San Diego and take them chargers, which oh my god, he's gonna say the chargers, man, both the charges start with it. You funking up l A. You know, like your cousin who comes spend the night but don't go home. You know, like it's a month later you're like, homie, okay is what you're saying that Rams, But I'm a Raider fan, got it. You know, I'm the president of How do you feel about them moving to Vegas? I know you don't like that. I wanted them to come to l A. They could, you know, Oakland, they wouldn't build them a new stadium, so I see why they left. And you know, Vegas is actually dope. I think Vegas and the Raiders fit a man Raiders fit of course. I mean that's the original. Everything sounds like Warriors fan. No, I know. I mean I don't head on the Warriors. I don't hit on the.
Speaker 1: Uh sacar was San Francisco Warriors, but now they're.
Speaker 2: In No, they was the They was the Golden State Golden State Warriors, which now California State in San Francisco. Yeah, the in Frisco. They you know, no, they ain't the Lakers. Okay, okay, ask you man. Yeah, yeah, I appreciate you pulling up on us.
Speaker 1: Man, this new music h November twenty second. Yeah, man, damn yeah, we appreciate that. Now is now is this your last album? We're gonna keep going until the end of time.
Speaker 2: I don't know what we're retirement meany Okay, yeah, it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Get me so we can get ice Cube at seventy dropping the project if that's ninety yeah, yeah, ice Cube in the bedable. We show appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Sir, appreciate you all having me anything else bt We good, Yep, We're good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ball Alert, the Malgavern and magn