Speaker 1: The regular season is wrapped and the NBA Playoffs are finally here, and there's no better way to cash in on the high flying hoops action than Prize Picks, a preferred partner of the NBA. Every basket, every dive, every win means more when you're playing on Prize Picks, So don't pass up the next shot with Prize Picks and get fifty dollars instantly in lineups when you play your first five dollars. Do it live twenty twenty six NBA Finals week Stick Alert pick live squares during the NBA Playoffs and you could win a trip for two to the NBA Finals. To enter, you just makeing a five dollars lineup with at least one live player pick during any part of the twenty twenty six NBA Playoffs. Live player picks are picks made after a game is already in progress. Prize Picks is simple to play. You know this playoff season. I'm all in on La Always Lebron, Lebron, Lebron more more more, Get in on the action. Prize Picks is now available in all fifty states, including California, Texas, Florida, and Georgia. Download the prize pick app today. Use Coach Shannon to get fifty dollars in a line after you play your first five dollars lineup. That's Coach Shannon to get fifty dollars in lineups after you play your first five dollar lineup. Prize picks a preferred partner of the NBA. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for joining us for another episode of Nightcap.
Speaker 2: Y'all know who I am.
Speaker 1: I'm your favorite up and there's my partner, the Liberty City Legend Cincinnati Bring a.
Speaker 2: Ring of Fame honoree. A former Pro Bowl and an All Pro.
Speaker 1: He's Chad O Chosenko Johnson and the third member of the Big Three, a seven time NBA All Star from the Atlanta Hawks University of Arkansas lum that is Iso Joe Johnson. Please make sure you hit that subscribe button. Please make sure you hit the light button, and do us all a favorite. Go subscribe to the Cap podcast feed wherever you get your podcasts from. We would personally like to thank each and every one of you for your eyes, ears, and your word of mouth. You guys make all of this possible. None of this happens without you, so we want to thank you sincerely from the bottom of my heart for all that you've done for Nightcap through the years. Those looking at the purchase a bottle of Shade by Laportier head over to La Potier Cognac dot com to purchase you a bottle if it's currently unavailable in a state or sitting near you. Remember, it is the premium Vslpknjact that drinks more like an X soul. But don't take my word for it. Try it for yourself. Compared against other konnyacts you've tried or may be wanting to try, and see what we know to be true. It is the best, sting, smoothest VSLP Cognact on the market. Please drink responsibly and stay safe. Tomorrow, O, Joe and I will be live throughout the first round of the NFL Draft. Will be drawn by drafted players, current players, coaches and analysts and more. Nightcap is the place for all your things, for all things NFL Draft Show. We've got Miami cornerback Keante Scott plus Clemson's cornerback Avion Terrell joining us a little later in the show. But first the Detroit Pistons even the series up with the Orlando Magic ninety.
Speaker 2: Three ninety eight eighty three in Game two.
Speaker 1: The Pistons had lost eleven straight home games in the postseason, the drought that started back in two thousand and eight. Game three will be in Orlando on Saturday, Joe. I mean the game was forty six, forty six, forty five at the hell, Joe, I turned the thing back home and that damn. I'm like, hold on, what the hell happened? How you At one point they had outscored Orlando thirty to three in the third quarter, Joe, How was the Pistons able to turn this thing around even the series up?
Speaker 3: I think the Pistons were definitely just more desperate. Okay, oh, Joe, knowing and understanding that, man, Listen, Game two, it's a must win situation for us. We can't go to Orlando down O two thinking we're gonna win on their home floor. So I think, you know, they got their morale back. I thought they came out and made a huge emphasis on defense, just to be physical obviously, and just just play a lot harder. I thought, you know, I thought they win, They'll caught out the game Ocho to where you know, offensively. You know last game what he had about nineteen twenty points. I mean, I think the biggest factor is man Ca just got to continue to be ultra aggressive, ultra aggressive, make plays not only for himself but for them guys around him, and he gotta be. If he efficient, then they wins will look like this because they're a great defensive team. It don't surprise me that they held Orlando to eighty three points.
Speaker 1: On thirty three percent shooting from the floor, twenty five percent from the three, out reboundling their plus their plus seven plus fifteen.
Speaker 2: Excuse me in the rebound of that aspect. You want to say something.
Speaker 4: Now, I've been gonna say it was a collective effort on on their behalf on the Pistons, obviously ka to Cunningham doing exactly what he's supposed to do, obviously leading that spad, but going down, oh too. You don't want to have to dig yourself out that kind of hole, Joe and make it a more difficult. So they knew they had to even goddamn series out. And not only that, it was a collective effort from everybody. God damn, Tobias had sixteen, Robinson had ten. You got eleven from during shit, Cunningham did what he did with twenty seven, and god damn Thompson had eleven. So everybody including you know he had Stuart coming off the bench, you know, he had ten. He has some other people contribute a little bit as well. But listen, they got to play like this. They got to play like this the rest of the series, or hell, it could be a goddamn upset.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it could be an upset.
Speaker 2: Oh jo.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously, you know, Detroit hadn't really been tested, so we don't really know if they're a championship caliber team yet. We just know they number one in the Eastern Conference, you know what I mean. So now if they are championship caliber team, now they got to show it because you gotta go out on the road and you gotta go get you one, you know what I mean. So we'll see if them guys can step up, step on to the challenge, and obviously still want an Orlando.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the difference between playoff basketball and regular season basketball, and we see that a lot. There's a difference, and there's a difference between regular season and postseason and anything, be it football, basketball, baseball, hockey, whatever whatever team sport is, if you have a postseason, there's a difference the intensity level. There's greater expectations, especially on higher seeds, because you got that higher seed by playing good basketball during the season. Now, all of a sudden, when it matters the most, where we need to get stops, where we need to be efficient and clutch situations, we don't.
Speaker 2: Get that done.
Speaker 1: So anybody that says they don't, you, oh, you know, you absolutely know what it is.
Speaker 2: And Detroit knows.
Speaker 1: They basically had the best record in the Eastern Conference, damn near from start to finish. Even when Cade went out, they still found ways to win. And now here they find themselves in a Series one one with Orlando. Now they're gonna need to do a better job. They did a great job on the glass tonight, Joe, they have plus fifteen. Detroit was over Orlando. They're gonna even do better. They're gonna have to shoot the three.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't think, necessarily think they're a great three point shooting team. They can get streaky like most teams can, but some teams are better. The Boston Centers are a good three point shooting team. Not They're not better knock down somebody damn free throws.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I agree, they got they gotta shoot better from the three un Ojoe. Not only that, I think they hang their head on their defense, you know what I mean, Like they pride themselves defensively.
Speaker 2: It ain't too many times they gonna get our rebounding.
Speaker 3: No, with during It and Big Boy and Steward down there, it ain't many times that they gonna get our rebounding. So you know, they come with a tough mindset, hard hat, you know, outwork you and do whatever it takes to win the game. Now you just hope your stars step up. Obviously Cad has been consistent, but man, if you can get some consistent productivity from Tobias Harris. Every time I'm talking about consistent old I'm saying it ain't gotta be about fifteen twenty points a night, But can we get that consistently, then I think that will definitely help. Because they asking too much for during you know, oh, man, he need to give us twenty five.
Speaker 1: Ask can we ask to give us give him? Give us what you gave us in the regular season.
Speaker 3: If that asking too much, joke, I don't think it's asking too much but here's the problem.
Speaker 2: In a playoff.
Speaker 3: Series, bro we we we're gonna try to expose you gotta We're gonna have to play during tough.
Speaker 2: We can't give him nothing easy. See. He known for getting them.
Speaker 3: Put back to just being kind of like a junk yard dog type of player, to where he kind of, you know, feed off miss of misshots. But it's tough, man, Hey or Letto got some big bodies that they can throw at him, and it's been giving him some problems, you know what I mean. He hadn't been as effective as he's been, you know in the regular season, but I expect his play to continue to get better.
Speaker 1: To Joe, if he continues to play like this, they going home. If Jalen dur does not pick up that play, they're going home. You can't have a situation, Joe, your two best player, one of your players that's playing like he's supposed to play. Kay Cunningham has elevated his game thirty nine in the first game twenty seven, Jalen Durden has not. He was as a potend. Joe, He's gonna be an all NBA player. He made it all our team and he give it a no, no I look, the playoffs is about elevating, it's not about decreasing.
Speaker 2: I don't give it damn what you do. Yes, oh yes, I understand that.
Speaker 1: But see that's see what you said, Joe, you said, Hey, let's make it tough on him. That's how you make your name, That's how you become legendary, that's how you become iconic, because you know they know what you represent and they're gonna do what they can to stop it.
Speaker 2: And guess what, you still go out there and busty pauls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but you're right, that's what the greats do. You already you know what we running. We know what you're running. Still, I don't care you can't stop it. But I think I think we kind of gotta give him a little slack. He's just not an offensive guy like that. He's just been a hard working dude who's put up some great numbers during the regular season, but in the postseason. I'm I'm I'm down in on him. I see his stress, I see his weaknesses. You know what I'm saying, I'm gonna make I'm I'm gonna make him music. You feel what I'm saying, And I feel like with them just throwing him the ball trying to say, man, go get us a bucket.
Speaker 2: That ain't his game, Man, that ain't.
Speaker 1: I guess what, I want you to be that same hard working guy in the postseason that you were in the regular season, because guess what. You know what's coming this way, don't Joe, Joe, you know that Max contract coming right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, so yeah, it ain't gonna be Hey.
Speaker 3: Hey, the one thing about Orlando, they big, they fighting, Bro, they ain't gonna be easy. If you supposed to be that guy, you're gonna have to show.
Speaker 2: Us you that guy for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's and that's that's the way you that's what you But you gotta you gotta want to take it like you know what, Man, they really count on me because you know, Detroit, ever since the bad Boys, what are they known for? You ain't finna outscrap us And if we gotta, if we got a squabble, we gonna squad. But you're not fitning out work because you're not gonna be out tough for us. It started and then when they started bringing in Lambierd and they got Mahrn and they got James Edwards and they got sound he dumars bro then they got worm.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how they've always been. Fast forward to bass Boy Pistons too, when they had Big Bend she Chauncey Real Tayshaun. This is always who they being. And now that the third edition, the third installment the trilogy. Even though Stu come off the bench, he brings that toughness, K plays tough.
Speaker 2: Those got This is what you in Detroit.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like if you play for the Steelers, you play for the Ravens, you already.
Speaker 2: Know you got this a mind sets.
Speaker 1: You don't walk no, no, no, no, ain't no for next football, No Detroit Pistons, they can't play for them. You gotta be physical. This is who y'all are. Y'all ain't got no no free y'all know, hey y'all not y'all not golden, stay at there, heyday. Y'all ain't pretty, y'all dump truck, y'all, truck y'all, pick up trucks, gritty and grind me. Yeah, that's how they gotta play. And I think I thought, I thought today you know, they played like it. But but on another note, I thought, Orlando kind of they looked satisfied. To me, I saw that, gonna lie to you, and I'm watching Orlando, I'm like, they ain't really come with the same they had in Game one.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, you know, they were. It seemed like they were kind of satisfied that we won in there and won one game. Now we'll see what they do in Game three.
Speaker 3: But I'm be honest with y'all, I expect the Pistons to obviously come back and take.
Speaker 2: Control of this series.
Speaker 1: You know what I thought they I thought they I thought they were really really engaged in the first half. If you look at them, the way they played the first half, Joe, especially the second quarter, I thought, I said, damn, I said, Detroit, y'all better be on your best behavior, man, cause look at it. They try They greedy, look like they try to get sweet. Ye, they trying to split the part, They trying to take it off it damn to come out there the next thing, I know, a thirty to three, it really it really.
Speaker 2: Really blew the game open from that point on. Yeah, Dan, Orlando ain't getting no contribution from the bench. I like, how.
Speaker 3: You know Suggs is being aggressive, But I want once again Uncle Ocho. When I'm watching Orlando Magic Man, I'm watching I'm watching Polo Ben Carrollo. I don't I don't want him out there doing all that dribbling, Uncle Ocho. I'm sorry, Bro, I'm talking about free throw lining. Then is where he should be. I'm talking about it. Shouldn't be a person on the Pistons team who could guard him.
Speaker 2: Bro. He he give us flashes because he showed us in Game one he could do it.
Speaker 3: And I just think he got back today handling the ball, having a little man set the pick and roll.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Hey, look, that's part of being great, doing it night in and night out.
Speaker 2: Doing it over and over and over again.
Speaker 3: So he got to learn to, you know, stick with his bread and butter because them dudes can't guard him in the mid post man.
Speaker 1: Everybody nobody shot the ball great to night and and you know Black normally gives him great production off the bench. Carter didn't play a whole lot, but dose, uh, he played twenty. He didn't really give him anything of vox. They didn't, You're right, Joe, they didn't get anything. But you know, it was a game that I don't even know if they were really trying to give him anything because at that point in time, the game was a blowout, right right, But Lindell Carter Junior, you gotta give him more than three points. You got to give him more than three bro. Yeah, that's an except the finals twenty nine and twenty four minutes.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Hey, look, but look, considering what they've done to the Hornets for their last play in spot, I think they gonna play pretty good, sure Orlando that I think they're gonna be. They're gonna be a totally different team. So I think typically Ben Carroll gonna play better, even I don't think he played bad, but I think he'll play a lot better. Uh, you'll get more from Whndell Carter. I think these bench guys like Black, I think these guys, they'll be a lot more common and ready.
Speaker 2: You know, in Game three, being at.
Speaker 1: Home, they jettison the other big Orlando did Isaacs him and the coach out here did we gotta falling out of something?
Speaker 2: And yeah I remember that, but I.
Speaker 1: Like, I think mostly in that coach name yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah him back down. Now, Ben Carroll was trying to take a few shots in the media. He's like Hey, you right back at it. Yeah, Hey, you gotta be. You gotta be like that man.
Speaker 2: You can't. You can't be nervous to challenge your guys. If you want to be great, you gotta be. You gotta want to be challenged.
Speaker 3: There you go, despite however they may feel you. You can't be, you know, timid on challenging them guys, because I think more than anything, you'll gain more respect for sure, you know, than anything.
Speaker 4: I say you a most hope they respond the right way. You almost hope they respond the right way because most of them don't don't take kind to being challenge because they're sensitive and they don't see it as a challenge. They take it as something else. So as long as they understand, I'm sure they have conversations behind closed doors and coaches letting them know. You know, there's certain things that you can't say, because I also got to protect myself because some of the things you say it reflects me who I am as a coach, or I have no choice but to say something back. But it's nothing, nothing directed towards you, nothing personal. But I got to challenge you to be better.
Speaker 1: I think, and even if you don't gain said players respect you. You gain this teammates respect because they're gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sometimes sometimes you can lose a locker.
Speaker 1: Room because how you treat they say that man, hold on. All you do is get on us late. Yeah, you get on us. He blowds and assignment you mad at me. You lose the locker room. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no, no, no, no, no no, say something to him. He might not Hey, he might do everything he can to probably potentially get you up out of there. But at least you got to gain this, make the locker room because if you, hey, what good is a he let you let him do everything, and then you ain't got the locker room. You're gonna be out of there quicker than that anyway. Yeah, And so that that's the thing guys don't get and you guys the right guys don't get it.
Speaker 2: Guys don't want to be challenged because.
Speaker 1: When you're great at a young age, you kind of get coddle because you're great.
Speaker 2: And if you and.
Speaker 1: Coaches don't want you to take your ball and go home. Yeah, because I think like the NIL program. Now, guess what, you challenge the guy, now he just go somewhere else. He gone in the portal, yell at me you if in the coach, Yeah, I think I think the most important thing as a coach.
Speaker 3: Okay, both y'all know this. You have to know your players who yeah, with thing you have to know. You have to know how they'll respond on the same circumstances. So it may be the heat of the game. Coach may already know he can jump down. You know what I'm saying. He can jump on me me a game. You hear what I'm saying. And if he can jump on your best player in front of everybody, it does weigh heavy because now all these other dudes around when he do jump on them, they fall right in line. So I think as a coach you got the toughest job, especially when it comes in the NBA. I'm sure the same thing in the NFL, because you have to know how to deal with different person day to day, and that's the hardest thing.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna treat you all the Bill Davis to tell us all the time, I'm gonna treat you all all fair, but I ain't gonna treat you the same. Now, some guys you can ride, like Joe said, some guys, if you gotta pad him on the back even with a Yeah, some guys you can be factitious with. Damn son, my wife could have made that play. Some guys you gotta be facious with. Some guys you could ride. You just have to know what buttons to push to get what doors to open.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That is the biggest thing about coach is to understand your players. I'm telling you. You try to do everybody the same. Okay, yeah, think about it. Okay, look all your YEA coach coach of the players, because I seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I seen him. I've seen h squab. I seen him squab. They ain't throw no blow.
Speaker 4: I square hold on Joe, hold on Joe. You see who squabbed a coach and the player.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, coach of the player in the NBA. Yeah yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: Hey, listen, without saying those names, can I can I get that story? Don't say no names?
Speaker 2: Uh uh.
Speaker 3: It was my first year here in Atlanta, making like okay, okay, it was my.
Speaker 2: First year here in Atlanta. Not mind you.
Speaker 3: They just came off winning nine games the season before, so the environment, you know, wasn't you know, it was shaky.
Speaker 2: It wasn't the best.
Speaker 3: You feel what I'm saying, so it was probably already tension built up from last season, right, it just kind of carried over. And this was like early in the season, Like I say, we started off here three and twenty nine. Hell boy, way it was almost fighting. Yeah, Hey, that's p J Carblissimo. Can you coach everybody the same?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 3: Hold up though, ax, Phil Jackson, Look how he had to coach the Warren knowing that man were gonna get out of line. George let with him, Joe, you got you got some players. But because you know, bro, you know they especially especially the ones that's great. It's certain stuff you're gonna have to deal with and you're gonna have to try and minimize, you know, the punishment to some degree. Because if Dennis Rodman was doing that and he wasn't who he was, like, he'd be out the lead.
Speaker 1: As long as production, you're sure as tolerance, Yeah, yeah, tolerance will never be higher than production.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talk about in professional sports in job, regular job. Look at the guy that's producing his quota or his or her quota is through the roof that come late, they eating at the dash. They might not have the right of tower on.
Speaker 2: Now you.
Speaker 1: You show up on time, you do everything right, but your quote where it needs to be the first time you get you get rid of and you got to go.
Speaker 2: First time they call your ass down to hr you up out of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but I aint you gotta be careful how you talk to people because everybody don't respond to the same stimuli. So that yelling and screaming, that's a trigger for somebody and to tear your ass up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, but a trigger from from some uh uh, some trauma that happened early in life.
Speaker 2: You never know. That's what I now.
Speaker 1: We had a conversation kind of like our first year Joe, and that's like when you date somebody, you're not just dating that person, you dating the trauma that they dealt with before you got there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's what you're dealing with. You don't know. You don't know. Same thing.
Speaker 1: You go, you go to the power, you get your like, oh it's a gorgeous dog, but you don't know what led that dog to be there.
Speaker 2: Now, you might do something that is.
Speaker 1: Previous owner did and trigger it and you will get why he ended up where it ended up, why it was same thing in a relationship you might say something someone has said in their past, his or her I just don't want you.
Speaker 2: I'm just not women because I know how y'all are.
Speaker 1: Oh you just it's just no. You might say something. He or she might say, something might trigger him or her from a previous situation or previous situations, or even by the fact childhood me, I was a guy. I didn't do well to yelling because I got yelled at a lot when I younger. So I was just like, man, I can't wait to get grown. I don't like being yelling. Tell me what I need to do, and I'm gonna do everything I possibly can to do it right that yelling.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give you a look first. I give you a look first. Yeah, you hear me? Son, You about to feel me, don't. I don't. I don't do well with that. Joe, just terrible.
Speaker 1: It seems like I'm trying to mess it up right right A A tell me something that did you raise your kids like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know what I mean. You have times you may yell at them, but I'm like, I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 3: I ain't you ain't. None of my kids had their ass. Oh no, but but just but just by me raising my voice, that'll be enough for some tears to come down.
Speaker 2: You feel what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when to the movies, Me and my girl, we're going to see one movie. They going to see another movie.
Speaker 2: What you want? You know how kids are? Everybody big slushy on? Come on camp?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said, okay the movie. They're gonna be close in time. I said, don't get y'all. Don't y'all lead this movie.
Speaker 2: Y'all.
Speaker 1: Let me come back in here and get you okay, damn okay, our movies in I think I was in it my by the bed, like probably like two or three minutes after There's I'm go, I'm gonna go get them because I was down in the hall. We had Fifth Joe the movie. We down the hall on the left, and they like in the front. I see them looking, I hear them, I see them, I see them and I hear them talking. I think they went to see this movie right here. I said, where y'all going? I didn't want it was he I didn't want to lead the don't worry about it. I got some funny when you get home. So we got home. Everybody tried to put it on everybody. I said, why you just didn't stay well? I didn't want to, I said, I appreciate that. I appreciate y'all sticking together, but you should have stuck your ass together in the movie where I told you to be.
Speaker 2: I told the ass up now, I said that listen, I'm going to work out. Don't y'all lead it. Don't y'all lead these rooms.
Speaker 1: I said, if the house on fire and the fireman come get you saying hell no, get out, shut their ass out.
Speaker 2: I say.
Speaker 1: My daddy said, don't leave this room bad, please, cause you don't you don't know, you don't.
Speaker 2: I listen with the kids.
Speaker 1: I look, I'm very particular, and I don't want nobody because I don't want to have to hurt somebody behind my kids because I will.
Speaker 2: But from and that, and this was the.
Speaker 1: First time they I've ever done this. I used to take the kids to the mall and and and and white people would ask me, how do you get them to do that? I'm like, I thought they were doing tricks and turning backflips or something. I said, do what man? She was like, they're so well man, or they're not running off in front of you. They're not yelling at screaming. Oh you must have got me confused with you.
Speaker 2: I don't play that.
Speaker 1: I wish I would be running around these people, mam, people looking at me like I'm a damn food.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The first thing they gonna say, man, I saw Shannon sharp boy his kids a mess. They was running all through the mall. No, sir, y'all infing to go on this store.
Speaker 2: And be all that.
Speaker 4: No sir, yeah, she Hey, hey Joe, I don't know about you. You know, I don't really have no problem, especially having as many as I have. Obviously, every every everybody, everybody grown now except three. I'm talking, you know, twenty seven two. I mean, everybody grown now. But I'm trying trying to think of some time when they were little. But their mother's rule was such an iron fist. Unc when they are with me, I never have no problems. And I try to get him to understand is when you with me, it's okay to be free. You out that prison you got to give you at home. You know, I'm a little bit more lenient. I'm not the one that does the discipline unless necessary. I had one encounter, only one encounter that I can remember. I swear for God. It was with my son and we you know, we all we all in the back of the in the back of the car and they I told him, y'all stopped playing around and put your seatbelts on.
Speaker 2: And here he go.
Speaker 4: He done jumped out the seat and I had to hit the brake and he went flying and flew past me and almost hit his head on the dashboard. Boy, I turned around and grabbed that and grabbed that collar and said, man, if you don't and I lost it a little bit. Now, obviously I had to I had to apologize. I had to apologize later because that's the first time they ever seen me get out of character. Yeah, and that was the only time. I ain't had that problem since helly a sophomore in high school. Now, I ain't had no problem since then.
Speaker 1: I think the thing is, guys, what I had to learn, o yo, is that they were getting away with stuff. I'll let them get away with stuff because I wasn't there every day, and they started to take advantage of that.
Speaker 2: So I had to put my foot down. So I put my foot down.
Speaker 1: I said, okay, now what you do at your mom's house as long as you're not disrespectful. Your mom called me and say, well, you said this, and you said that, I'm gonna fly down. I'm gonna tell your ass up. You want to say, if your mom wants you to let you jump on the bed, let you run on the couch, put your feet on the dinner table.
Speaker 2: That ain't got nothing to do. I don't run your mom household. But when you hear yeah, I wish I would catch y'all jumping on the bed. I wish I would catch you walking on the couch. I wish I would oh all that said.
Speaker 1: You know how women like to sit with their feet crossed up and on the couch, Your damn feet on the Yeah, yeah, it's sitting up on it. You know, sitting up on the counter. Bohy wouldn't even my food that you got your ass up on that counter. Boy, you would get your gun. You would get your ass off that counter. I won't play that.
Speaker 3: Hey, Hey, it's like by It's like my grandpa when we were little, he would never let us sit in his bed.
Speaker 2: He said, y'all make my bed hot, make my sheets hot. When I go to.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, he and Joe, y'all knew it was a such thing as editutt school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, okay, okay. Man had to have the nerd and hit me, tell about talk about French fries and to go to Edicut school all the way in front. Man, if you don't get if you don't, get off my phone and stop playing with me, stop playing. No, no, don't don't play me. I think maybe maybe it was just to get a reaction, you know, just to see what you got to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got it. I don't know what you know, your.
Speaker 4: Yay edits we will watch you. Don't worry about it. We're learning about etiquette on YouTube, but a.
Speaker 2: Lot of that because that's how it was with us.
Speaker 1: And see, people thought I was lying when I said that at the dinner table we didn't talk. And people asked, well, why you eat so fast? Because I wanted to be able to talk. You couldn't talk at the dinner table party. Mary wasn't playing that. It wasn't no, hey, you know, because we only had one TV now a kitchen, I mean slide back from the table to try to see the TV. So you try to ate one to the other, the gold watch TV. You'll eat this damn food. Yeah, damn talking at the table.
Speaker 4: But hey, hold on, Hey, hold on, hey, Joe, hold on. The best conversation, especially family oriented conversations.
Speaker 2: Happened.
Speaker 1: Up. The best ass whipping you would have got, were it at the dinner table. You, I know, I know what I'm talking about. But I know OO talking about some old Thanksgiving Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, But at the table. That's grown people at the table. We on the porch eating out of pop pans. You ain't at no damn table with all the grown folks sitting at the table, eat at the good plate.
Speaker 2: You drinking.
Speaker 1: They got the good they got the good glasses. You drinking out of jelly jars, mayonnaise jars. That's what you drinking?
Speaker 4: Oh what you know about that jelly?
Speaker 2: You leave that thing in that song? The order for you straight.
Speaker 1: You could scrape the the jelly thangise out of it. Yeah, that's what you not, man, you're not. They weren't playing that. Kids didn't sit at the dinner table. Kids got their plate and they went on the front porch. We could talk in the front ports. All the grown people were in the kitchen talk. They could talk, but you couldn't talk grown people talking like how you see kids pulling on their parents' leg and stuff.
Speaker 2: Lord have mercy now this shoot that? Why not that? Ain't us that?
Speaker 4: Ain't us doing that? Oden Old m m, well you you bringing back good memories. But hey, Joe, remember cream and wheat?
Speaker 2: Yes, we had grits. We didn't eat cream oatmeal?
Speaker 4: Oh you ain't had Okay?
Speaker 2: What about tang tang ta? What's than? What's tang like?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: It's it's kind of like it's probably like an orange drink. It was supposed to be like a kind of like an orange juice. Yeah, I know, I know tang Yeah, I don't even know. You probably get you can get anything off the internet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, little little drink, Joe. It was powder, but you mix it with water and it turned orange and you put too much water.
Speaker 2: You weren't getting. But those were day Those were the days. Man. I'm looking at these kids now, all the how them kids be?
Speaker 1: Boy, how the kids be so bad that the den at the go out to the restaurants and you took about sit down public.
Speaker 2: Oh Lord, have mercy. Hanging food on the man.
Speaker 1: Barney Porter said, the first time under the next time is lightning I've seen it throw itself on the floor the other day.
Speaker 2: Oh tantrum at the marb. I'm talking about square face first on the mall.
Speaker 4: On the floor, just acting the fool, I said, Joe black Folk, No, no, look here, Hey, hey, grandma favorite line wherever you.
Speaker 1: Show out, that's exactly what you get, sir, my greatest shut down down on his ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, hey, you already knew, man, you knew not to touch nothing. Don't ask for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or they let you know before you Joe, there you go. Hey, we had back in the day. I remember on fifty fourth Street. We had a place that's called Theirs. Remember there, Yeah, remember that, man, it is super old. Before we go in here, don't touch nothing, don't ask me for nothing. Before we walk in. She stopped at the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, hey it so soon as you get by something you like, you just staying it so she could see it.
Speaker 1: And so she at that one time, see Bartiport, you had to have a remember you have to have you had to be like an Eliphant. People said, well, man, how you remember all that because Bartiporter told you something one time? Forget it if you want to. Yeah, you heavy head. I pushed the bugget. I ain't no, you know, I pushed it. I could barely see over the buget. I pushed the bugget man, I ran that bug on the back of grandy heels.
Speaker 2: She reached back, and yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 4: I remember them days. You stop. You ain't gonna hey when you that, when you're that young uncle and Joe, you have no cell phone.
Speaker 2: You have no cellphone.
Speaker 4: That when someone stopping in front of you, obviously you gotta stop the buggy. You ain't even paying attention.
Speaker 2: You just.
Speaker 1: But we were I don't even know why we're down the hour. We're all gonna get something. You weren't going shopping until Grandy got paid. So you're getting hot. You get some doughnuts, you get some chicken, she gonna get some rice. You ain't but a half of the thing you're gonna get. She gonna go up there. It's gonna she ain't gonna pay for it. She gonna put it on credit, or she might put half of us. So the grocery bill might be twenty five dollars. She's gonna put ten fifteen on credit, and she gonna put get a going there. Because you had the money and a handkerchief. You know all people just keep their money in a handkerchief. Yeah, trumbled up, she's gonna she ain't probably got me thirteen fourteen dollars.
Speaker 2: She's gonna give them the ten dollars she gonna keep.
Speaker 1: Asked for some change, cause she's gonna give me a spaking fifty cent because they're gonna pass the plate around twice on Sunday.
Speaker 2: And we put a quarter in. What the he burt? Look here, he's I had nothing, so tick percent or nothing would have been nothing.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, you know you know what you always saying.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, God don't like no, no, Well, bartie, Mary ain't had no paper.
Speaker 1: I know that.
Speaker 3: Hey look yeah, hey, Grandma gonna make sure you got some money. Oh yeah, you go to pump faking you want to acting like you put something down up in there and you just keep it in your hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some times I saw some dollars and I want to take something out. I said, lord you.
Speaker 1: Hey, you gotta be a savage to do that in church? Yeah, you look at it. But there been times I didn't want to put that fifty set in there. You know what I could have done with back in the day. Milk was a nickel of carton. Remember they had the little milks. They had chocolate, had white milk and chocolate milk. There was a nickel.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I got fifty cent. Oh yeah, you bothering man?
Speaker 4: Please, well you know how much fifty cent was? Yes, I do for a little kid. As a shorty man, you felt like he was on top.
Speaker 1: I remember what a can of coke was a quarter. A twelve ounce can of coat was a quarter. A hondred bun was a quarter. A bag of chips was a quarter. I remember all that.
Speaker 2: There was penny candy. You get twenty five piece of candy for twenty five cent, You.
Speaker 1: Get twenty five, You get the little cookies for twenty five cent, or you get like ten of those big, those big flywheel cookies.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely remember what it was like.
Speaker 1: Hell I remember, I remember when cigarettes was like thirty five forty pack. Now they damned the eight nine dollars a pack. People used to say, bad cigarettes. Ever, go to seventy five cent. I'm done smoking now, I ain't going to seventy five. They went to a dollar?
Speaker 2: What they going on? Dollar? Uncle?
Speaker 4: I remember the days where the price prices and stuff used to be used to be so so simple. Hey, joe y'all had the Candy Lady House out there where you're from, Joe Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had a dude on the corner stove and yeah, oh tell you go in there and get them little Debis snacks.
Speaker 2: You going there with a dollar? Come out of there.
Speaker 4: Oh at the Candy Lady House, frozen cups were nothing but a quarter. Yeah, great, frozen cup, watermelon, frozen cup, food punch, frozen.
Speaker 2: Killing the strawberry cookies.
Speaker 1: Sister Tillman, she had two boys. She had two sons, James and John, and she's they sold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh them some good days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he but see that's why I ain't got no patience. Now, granted had more patience papa, and Papa had zero patience.
Speaker 2: Zero. He just expected. He just ain't teaching nothing. I mean.
Speaker 1: And libvit, libvit. Libby was the oldest. He believed Livy hung the moon. If you told him my sister didn't hung hang the moon, you probably had to fight it. Libby wrote the checks, Libby signed his name for the report cards. Libby did anything that needed to be done. Yeah, everything, Libby did it. Because Libby was the old Libby was the oldest girl. I mean he trusted Libby. All my uncles the same way, Furnil, James, h B. J. Furman, all of them. They needed something. Libby read this.
Speaker 2: Just tell me what this say because she understand that she had patience.
Speaker 4: Me.
Speaker 2: I like.
Speaker 1: Y'all, but she she she got patients. Libby got all of me us three, She's by far the most patient. Then comes thanking y'all already know I ain't got none. I ain't even gonna hold it if it hold you none. We got some updates, Oh Joe, Joe, Luke and Austin Reed from Cham's. Lakers are not expecting Luca to return in round one. Reeves is for the long and his skill rehab that Luca is Reeves has started one on one on court courtwork. It needs to go through three on three and five on five. Reeves is tracking to return late in the first round our early second round if the Lakers are to advance despite Kadi's return. The shorthanded Lakers out lasted the Rockets last night one on one, ninety four uh Studying two lead the first round Goat James twenty eight points, eight rebounds, seven to six.
Speaker 2: I saw you boy, you saw your boy carside joke, I see, I see you all they're doing you want.
Speaker 3: Y.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you had a good time. You had a good good time. You know they like what you being. Man, we missed you.
Speaker 4: Did they ask you about me?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: They said, man, why o your Why old you do Joe like that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: They where? I mean, that's way out there. It's Southern cam asking why you do that?
Speaker 2: Man? Whole world, the whole world.
Speaker 4: No, you know we're famous now, so you know the word travel.
Speaker 3: Hey a hey, I like what I've seen from the Lakers. Oh yeah, I'm gonna tell you who. They giving him credit, but they ain't giving them enough credit if you asked me. And that's uh market smart job doing ok market?
Speaker 2: KD?
Speaker 3: I think I know, I know they throwing the double teammate KD. But the times that he do get matched up with in one on one, he wins more than absolutely you know what I mean. He is a he is a great defender.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: He he's he's shorter than KD, but he got long homes, you know what I mean. And he has great anticipation skills and I think you know, I mean even think back through the regular season when when the Lakers played the Rockets, they've got the better of them with this strategic defensive mechanism that they're doing against them, and that's trapping KD, making him a passer, making him a willing passer, because they don't believe none of the other guys and as.
Speaker 1: Of right now, they haven't been able to ree Shepherd can't get minutes. The other guys are not great enough shooters. And at some point in time they're gonna have to move the ball because it's like KD had it going, and then everybody else want to get involved with it. Let me get let me get mine, Let me get mine, let me get mine. And it plays right into the Lakers hands because they ain't got nobody cutting. They got nobody dive into the brim. Everybody standing, I mean, hell, they study. I'm like, do any of y'all.
Speaker 2: Want to move? I mean, y'all blocking my view?
Speaker 1: But I appreciated right here because ain't nobody cutting towards the rim.
Speaker 2: And it is that Kate. They got. Katie's so hot, so far out, he's not a threat, but.
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody else moving, And so when he turns his back Marcus mart getting the ball, or that's why he has nine turnovers. You go back and look at a lot of his games, he have seven turnovers. Him play the Lakers, he had six turnovers because they're forcing him to be a passer. He he, that's not what he is. He's a scorer, an elite, one of the greatest of all time. Man watching him last night and just watch how the effortless. I'm like, man, that's ridiculous. It don't matter what. Hey, they trying to cover that shade, Baddy and put your hand over his eyes. I think you should win his eye. Blow cut it don't even matter.
Speaker 2: Joe, Oh, Joe, he getting that spot. There's a round hey once she go up. Hey.
Speaker 3: But when you look at the Lakers game plan, I like that game plan, okay, Ojoe? Meaning they got him thinking so much now because he wanted to get into his bag, but he know as soon as he go to getting into it, it's that nobody come into coming. So now it's kind of got him off rhythm. That's why you see it. What nine turnos because he second guesses himself a lot when he goes into his move, because it's natural for him now because like every time I go into my move, it's another dude. It's another dude coming to trap. You know he isn't they're making him a willing passer. He's not necessary. I ain't saying, Katie, he's selfish, but that's really not his game. You feel me like they don't got guys on the team to where like you can't play brun like that because he got other guys he can kick two, they can play mate. I mean Rui's shooting historically from the three. Luke Canard, damn mind, I ain't. I've never seen and I've watched lu Canard.
Speaker 2: I remember him. He was at Duke Joe, Oh Joe.
Speaker 1: I've never seen this guy put the ball on the floor more and attack like he is right now.
Speaker 2: You can run him off the three.
Speaker 1: If you won't, he will put the ball on the floor and he'll get all the way to the rim, or he'll stop and pop.
Speaker 2: The mid range.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, when I hear him talk, man, it's preparation meeting opportunity.
Speaker 2: You know you got you got your too.
Speaker 3: You got two of your best scorers out, two of two of your best ball handlers, and now it's an opportunity for somebody on that team to step up and be a big playmaker, scorer, what have you? And bro, he answered the bell both games like he man, I'm talking about they ain't just been the playoffs though he's been.
Speaker 1: Since he came boy Atlanta. I don't know what y'all was thinking. Y'all gave us Luke Canardi, y'all took, gave Vinson, Thank you. It wasn't gonna It wasn't gonna work like that over here. Come on, it wasn't gonna work, that's all. I don't give it that high will work. Y'all wanted it. Gave vinc he gonna help, he gonna he gonna playoff game, but.
Speaker 2: Got DJ Hey hey, hey, oh Joe, he feeling good about yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, hey listen, he was hey. He had his feet on the wood too, so you know he's feeling goody And also you know what we expect this from him. You know, he's showing how versatility is Lebron Yeah, man, listen, being able to defer and allow all some reason Luca to do what they did all season long and based on circumstance. Now, let me show y'all, I can still lead a team even at forty one years old. Let me show you my IQ where I can always be two or three steps ahead that everybody else. Depending on what you want to do. Either I can be I can cert myself early, or I can facilitate and let everybody, let everybody else get in rhythm, and then pick and choose when I want to insert myself in game that got them. Lebron a special boy. So honestly, to this point, I'm confused how people can still have negative things to say when you have to nickpick on someone who's had as much success as he's had, not in his prime, but still having at forty one years old.
Speaker 1: Because it's easy. Yeah, it's easier. It's easier. It's much easier to hate to appreciate someone.
Speaker 4: They won't appreciate till he going though.
Speaker 1: But I just go to show you if Lebron James was on a team and he was the number one option, this is what he'd be doing if he think about it every twenty twenty seven and six as a third option. Imagine if he's the first option or even the second option, because remember last year the second option he gave you twenty four he gave you twenty four, he gave you twenty four, he gave you twenty four point nine, seven and seven or twenty four, eight and seven as the number two option. So just imagine if he's the number one option, he still could do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's still consistently. His productivity is great. I think.
Speaker 3: I think he really relished in this moment Uncle Ojo. Yeah, you meaning that they were then underdog coming into this series. Everybody's talking about they ain't have a chance like him coming out playing the way he's been playing, you know, asserting himself, taking the initiative to you know, try and sit in that chair and guard and playmake and score. Hey man, I've been in press, bro I've been in press. I want to see him go down to Houston see if they can take care of Benness and the thing else.
Speaker 1: Hey Joe, what are you talked about? I don't care now about No. Eight for twenty fourteen free throw a team. Let me know what, he'll grasp it. There you goss it.
Speaker 3: There you go, putting putting pressure, putting pressure on the rockets to be able to try and stop him. If not that, it's different when you say Lebron or willing pass. I think passing is a is a great attribute to his and he does it. He does it better than anybody, Uncle Uncle Ojo. And if guys are making shots, then it just makes him look good.
Speaker 2: You feel what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's just when they're not making shots now we're like, all right, man, you gotta score the ball. But I think he does a great job man and figuring those guys out making plays for everybody. And still at this big age forty one bro still being effected the way it is because.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be honest. They don't got nobody who can guard him. He ain't got nobody with no bricks in their back pocket. They got limb but they don't have. They don't have, they don't have, They don't have the size to wait because he gonna back Hey, he gonna back up down and say, okay, y'all gonna come to the double team. I said, take your time, and you watching, hen't coming. He looking around, He studied, going height to the left. He comes, Hey, you can't stop that. Nah, it's gonna be told just about that.
Speaker 3: But boy, listen, if they just so happened be able to get up out of this round and Luke and them come back.
Speaker 2: Against Okac. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What the difference is is that if you notice yesterday Lebron had the ball in his hand, because you want Lebron can control the game. He's not gonna let you get up and down now, sir, it ain't gonna be no quick shots.
Speaker 2: He gotta he wanted to control the game. Hey he was.
Speaker 1: Ay, even if Marcus Mark or Canard break the ball up, Hey, go ahead, take it up, flow it down. We got Let's not let's not get into an up and down. We don't need to get into a up and down. But yeah, they they I think he do. He do a great job with that basically just playing point guard.
Speaker 3: If you listen, if Marcus Smart gonna give you a fishing twenty five points, you ain't got and they probably gonna win every game if he gonna play like that, if.
Speaker 2: Luke and Marcus market because you remember Luke Canard had twenty.
Speaker 1: Seven mm hmm, yeah, then Marcus twenty three lands, it's because Lebron had twenty eight, I think. But I think the thing is what's most impressive is that the job that Marcus Smart and that defense did on KD in the second half, they only held them to three per three points and he got two of the threat with about a minute and a half to go in the ball game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree. Marcus Smart has been I think one.
Speaker 3: Of the biggest keys for the Lakers, especially defensively. But man, their whole team be on a string. Ok ojo. When they go for that double team on KD. You gotta see how guys rotate, because when you rotate just for a split second, somebody got to take two guys for like a split second until you come up out of it. And once you know that bro and you and and the way they're able to make it effective. It's like they making Houston take rough shots, take shots that they normally don't take. You got guys trying to go into their bag. I don't even know they had a bag. You feel what I'm saying. So now you got guys playing out of character.
Speaker 4: Yea, all that Lakers, all it is is gonna have to speed it. Got to speed up KD in his thinking process. That's all he speed it up. Once you get that ball instead of going into your bag, be able to know what's coming before it even comes, already know who you're outlet is understanding that the trap is coming. I mean, that's the only way to beat him. I could be wrong, Joe.
Speaker 3: What you think Man's And that's the problem with not having the lead guard because listen, once he give it up, he know that damn ball ain't coming back to him, right, I'm saying. So, he ain't gonna get many many spot up shots all his shots. Yeah, he got hot early, but you see how hard he got to work to get a shot. You feel what I'm saying, Like he got to go through Marcus Smart who being physical, and then he know when to finess him. You feel what I'm saying. So, yeah, he might get a couple easy ones, but for the most part, he working so hard for every shot that he gets.
Speaker 2: We'll come back to this. We got a bear special guest joining us. He