Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at seven am Eastern on Apple CarPlay or Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: We start unbelievably strong for Global Wall Street. Arguably our conversation of the day, given what's going on with fixed income. Kelsey row is executive director Fixed Income at JP Morgan. She is the closest desk to Dangerous Provisions breakfast food. Oh okay, h Jpie Morgan, I walked live. Well there, it's fourteen steps away. So you and I are having breakfast at Dangerous Provisions this morning, along with your team and the great hallmark of Bob Michael's team. As you guys argue like cats and dogs and come up with a consensus on the thirty year bond. Do you have in your head a yield? It's a tipping point, a great point where things unwind.
Speaker 3: It's difficult to say exactly what that level is, but I do think that we can take some signal from the markets right now and also from the way that policy makers are reacting So when we reached five thirty a five point three percent on the thirty year treasure yield, right, that's when we saw Secretary Bessant step in with the buybacks. We saw a quick ten basis point rally lower on thirties, and then essentially all of that got wiped away, which I'm not going to say means that the whole thing was.
Speaker 4: A complete waste.
Speaker 3: There is signaling there there is more that he can do, but it does speak to the fact that to really get stabilization in the markets right now, it's not just one factor. You're going to need multiple factors to come together. So what we've been looking at is the fall of twenty twenty three experience. So that was a time where the Fed had finished hiking, but people weren't quite sure. The tenure yield tested five percent and then ultimately retraced, and there were a number of things that came together. One of them was a surprise from the Treasury at the time. Jannie Yellen, who had shifted the issue in schedule, made some surprise announcements in terms of less long end issuance, and that did help stabilize the market, but ultimately it also had to come from softer economic data and a shift in the FED. And so that's why I think while I can point to similarities between that time, there are also big differences, which is then you know there was a much greater concern of a growth slowdown.
Speaker 4: We're not seeing that now.
Speaker 3: So when we're talking about stabilization and yields, we're not talking about one hundred basis point retracement, but we are talking about the potential that term premium has rised sufficiently and we may be at a point where, you know, you can find some stabilization if the right factors come into place.
Speaker 5: Stabilization stabilization, I mean a five handle in the thirty year Should we get used to that?
Speaker 4: Do you think we could?
Speaker 3: And I think these are levels that are really more normal, That's what we want to be thinking about them as their normal relative to.
Speaker 4: The growth backdrop.
Speaker 3: When you look at nominal GDP, when you look at real GDP, you know, these these.
Speaker 4: Are levels that are are normal to those.
Speaker 3: And also this is an environment where the curve is very steep to cash. So thinking about it as a bond investor, we've been through a lot of periods in the last few years where nobody looked at bonds because cash had a higher yield than bonds and we had inverted yield curves and those that was not a good environment for fixing come demand.
Speaker 4: Right now, we actually have the opp that we have.
Speaker 3: Very steep curves. There's a significant me oald to pick up to cash. There's roll down when you extend beyond the curve. So there's actually a lot of opportunity. And so the thing that I've been focused on. Everybody talks about record growth supply. You know, in September in investment grade we're looking at anywhere between one hundred and seventy five billion and two hundred and fifty billion of supply. But also what's been forgotten is that you've also seen record demand for high grade funds. So this year so far, year to date, it's the largest in terms of flows into high grade funds compared to every cumulative you're back to twenty ten.
Speaker 2: Would you say in this and I was grilled on this this weekend by everyone. I mean, these two multuous times that we're in, you make the distinction that late nine, late twenty twenty three was about a slower economic growth. To me, the most important person in this debate is Michael Feroli and that we have to figure out what nominal GDP's going to do, what real GDP is going to do, And isn't the solution here to get away from a ridiculous banana republic boom economy statistic.
Speaker 3: So I'm not sure that I agree with that because it really depends on what the neutral rate is and if this is causing inflation.
Speaker 4: So when you talk about concerns.
Speaker 3: About deficits, when you talk about concerns around running the economy too hot, the reason that those are unsustainable is because they cause too much inflation. But the reality is that we're not actually seeing signs of inflation or runaway inflation in the data or in the markets. So if you look at inflation expectations, those have remained really well anchored. If you look at CPI, which I know is not the FEDS metric, but the three month run rate is below two percent, and the sixth month in the year over year at two point four and two and a half percent. Core PCE, the FEDS preferred measure, is actually the inflation outlier. Now I'm not saying inflation is low, it is running somewhat above the Fed's target.
Speaker 4: But that being said, I'm not seeing the signs that this is unsustainable.
Speaker 3: As it relates to creating excess inflation pressure that people should be concerned about.
Speaker 2: FED Chairman Walsh.
Speaker 5: He's going to be out in Jackson Hole later this week. What do you expect to hear from him?
Speaker 4: That is a really good question.
Speaker 3: So one of the things that I have been doing is going around and asking what do you want out of Worsh.
Speaker 4: Everybody agrees that they want to.
Speaker 3: Hear something good out of Worsh, that this is a great opportunity for him to maybe clean up his messaging, to create some clarity, to create some stability.
Speaker 4: But then when you ask people, well, what actually does he need to.
Speaker 3: Say to get that outcome, that's where the range of views is actually very wide. So there is a camp out there that thinks that the only way to get the long end the under control is for him to sound very hawkish, to hint at a hike in septem That's not what the bond market is pricing.
Speaker 4: I'm not necessarily in that camp.
Speaker 3: I don't think that you need to be hawkish to be credible, but to be credible, you do need to point to what data you're looking at and create a allow the market to understand why there is a case to stay on hold and not for the future.
Speaker 4: Why not just explain why you did what you did in July.
Speaker 2: Listen to her, She's like she's hot, fush, I know she's on fire. Kelsey Baro, thank us so much with JP Margaret stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Applecarplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Sarah House chewin just right now with Wells Fargo, which is a good thing. Working with Thomas Purcelli down there and I love buried in your notes, Sarah, how you're saying Jackson hole could be a you? Honor? Are you telling me with this anticipation? Chairman Walsh is only going to talk about task forces?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So obviously we all have to pay attention to this speech because at times it has been used to give some pretty important policy hints, but more often than not, it's used to address some of the bigger questions out there. And while I think there has been some pushback about Chairworsh's communication so far, he's a lesson more guy when it comes to laying out his reaction function. And we're still only three months in, so I don't think he's going to abandon that strategy and I think if anything, it'll.
Speaker 7: Probably be used to lay out some more of what the.
Speaker 6: Task forces are trying to solve for maybe what some of the potential options are around size and composition and balance sheet, how they use the SEP. But they're not going to commit to anything, but I think ultimately it's going to be used to buy some time until those task forces are complete with their findings.
Speaker 5: Sir, I think one of the task force is that a lot of folks are really focusing on is kind of what data might the FED look at that's maybe something different than what they've done in the past. What do you expect to hear on that front?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I think.
Speaker 6: We'll hear more in terms of the different alternative data sources, So particularly when it comes to the labor market, there's a lot of other options for the FED to look at in addition to the monthly Employment Report, some of the other BLS data like the Jobs Opening and Labor and Labor Turnover Survey. But I think ultimately, even as I think the FED is going to try to leverage some of these alternative data sources that do leverage the big data that we have so much access to now in the economy, it would really be more about how those data sources are going to complement the government data, which still remains the gold standard I think, for all the different issues it's had in terms of survey responses.
Speaker 7: Fund et cetera.
Speaker 6: It's the one thing that's designed to really mimic the broader economy.
Speaker 7: So I would.
Speaker 6: Expect a task force like that, or it'll highlight a lot of the other options available, But it all comes down to what do they say together in concert. You can't just switch from just going from some of the government data to these alternative sources, but it's all about what do they say together and leveraging that additional information.
Speaker 5: Sarah, we've had now, you know, four or five days to kind of digest Treasury Secretary Vesent and is bond buying efforts last week. How do you guys at Wells Fargo think about that going forward.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I think, I mean, in some ways this is just a short term play to help bring those longer and yields down, and it's not going to address what we think is the underlying issue, which is really these unsustainable fiscal deficits. So yes, there's been other factors at play, like increase competition from corporate borrowers, additional uncertainty or around the geopolitical inflation, how the Fed's going to handle that, But so much of this comes down to that we have six percent deficits at a time of full employment with I think neither party willing to address that. And so I think this doesn't get away that you know, this isn't going to bring great sustainably lower Sarah.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about this this weekend with all the hysteria Thursday, Friday, and we're living in it right now, folks. Future is negative twenty, the VICS sixteen. Again, you know, it's not like a Vixa thirty. But there's a lot of emotion out there, Sarah. What's the likelihood and wells Fargo's really good at this. What's the likelihood that in set us some drama? We just keep moving forward with this successful American economy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I think that's what we've been seeing these past few years.
Speaker 6: You've thrown so much at the US economy, everything from that aggressive fat hiking cycle to some of them some of the biggest changes in trade, Paul.
Speaker 7: See that we've seen in decades.
Speaker 6: You've had some questions around fiscal we've had now higher gas prices back above four dollars. But as we've seen all these different challenges thrown out the US economy, the consumer continues to spend, and of course we've also had this very positive secular shock coming from the AI investment. So our expectation is that we continue to see pretty decent growth through the back half of the year, so somewhere a little over over two percent. Maybe consumer not quite as strong, but that business investment still booing overall growth and also supporting lending some indirect support through through the consumer that offsets some of those challenges like higher gas prices, the fading boost from tax refunds for example.
Speaker 2: Like Paul, I'm thinking about this, like what are the outcomes here out of Jackson Hole and you know, per selling the house, play it down at Wills Fargo. But to be the basic idea is the juggernaut just keeps going. Yeah. I mean Europe looks at Ai says we got to play.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's interesting. So I mean, Sarah to that end of the economy just keep chugging along. Talk to us about the labor market. How strong is it or should we be concerned that there may not be as strong as we think it is. How do you guys view that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I'd say overall the labor markets stable, but I wouldn't.
Speaker 6: Say it's as strong as as certainly I think what the job and the unemployment rate this year would imply in terms of that pointing to at.
Speaker 7: Least some modest tightening, we just don't see that.
Speaker 6: I think when you step back and look at okay, the unemployment rate is down a couple of tenthsince the start of the year.
Speaker 7: Well, the participation rates.
Speaker 6: Down seven tenths, and so this isn't nearly as strong.
Speaker 7: As as first meets the eye.
Speaker 6: You saw some weakness and payrolls there with the July report still looking a little bit better, you're to date, But I think when you still scratch underneath the surface, hiring still remains very very narrow, still a very low turnover environment because there just aren't a lot of job opportunities out there, and so it's fine if you have a job right now, you're at low risk of losing that. And that's been another support, I think, to consumer spending. But it's very different for a segment of American workers to crack into that jobs market. And so when we I think, when we step back and we look at it in its totality, I say, the labor market's just okay.
Speaker 2: Sarah, Thank you so much. Sarah House with Wells Fargo. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern. Listen on Applecarplay and Android Atto with the Bloomberg Business Up, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Joining us now, Sir Dana Ives joins us here with Yorkville and I let's start with this because Tom Sekunda, founder of Bloomberg, cornered me one day in a food court, you know, over the cheeses and he said, hey, stupid, get perplexed. It changed my life. Dana. What is perplexity?
Speaker 8: Yeah, when you think about from a model perspective, I think perplexity is one of the best out there, especially for someone like can't you know when it comes down to like heavy analytics a lot of sort of numbers. I think perplexity is probably one of the best out there. And that's why when you look at what Nvidia is potentially doing, it would make actually a lot of sense relative to where we see this AI revolutionary.
Speaker 2: In what way would perplexity help in video?
Speaker 8: Well for them, Look, they're essentially taking stakes across the whole ecosystem, whether it's infrastructure on the model side, and it's a way given anthropic and open AI that I really had to dooperly to some extent in terms of AI. This would enable them to diversify because in video and gen has talked about it even from an open source for other models. The cheaper the models get, the more pervasive that gets, it's better for AI I spend because the cheaper acats you're going to have more and more demand.
Speaker 5: So we are going to hear from Nvidio after the closed Wednesday, what should the market be listening for.
Speaker 8: No one has a better perch around demand than the god father of AI, Jensen a video. I think it's really about when you look, they'll talk. They'll probably talk about that price increase that you report over the weekend from memory perspective driven, But I think it's really about what they're seeing from customers in terms of acceleration. We think overall AI demand, we've seen acceleration twenty percent the last few months, and there's one chip in the world fueling the AI revolution. So I think that this is a huge piece of the puzzle when you're thinking about demand, especially after what we saw from an earning season that was extremely strong, especially from the hyper scours.
Speaker 5: You write down that the biggest tug of war in the tech space is around AI sovereignty. What do you mean by that?
Speaker 8: What that means is and it's becoming more and more of a debate. Really hot button issue is that the data. I'm not going to give that data. If I'm a company to the model player, to an open AI, to an anthropic I can maybe use them, but there's going to be a sort of cording off where I won control as a company over that data. And that's something where in Nvidia Pollunteer there's a big focus specially from Carton Pollenteer on sovereign AI data because the view is that eventually, if you have my data, then ultimately competitive wise, could I marginalize your model? So I think it speaks to what's starting to happen is as you're hearing more maturity now in the AI space, where enterprises are focused more on who has access to their data and should they have more control?
Speaker 2: Danna answer this, folks for a quick tech brief here we'll talk can to here in a moment. Good Morning across America on Serious XM Channel one Morning across all of Canada is well, the house is fired up about Apple announcements after I believe Labor Day. What will we see from Apple and what's it mean for their free cash flow and stock price?
Speaker 8: I think for Apple and I think investors now are starting more and more to reconneen we've talked about a lot on the show. Is that the consumer AI revolution that highway. They're a toll collector on that and that's going to continue to go through them. I think it's really it's about not just the AI strategy, but now as you get to the latest iPhone that they release, what that's going to do to ultimate demand? Because it LEAs out the foundation for everything we're talking about in AI is about enterprise comes down to consumer. What are device is going to look like? Where is most of that going to go through Apple? As when you think about one point five billion iPhones. So that's why there's such a focus to see as they come out with their latest iPhone. Not necessarily there's going to be so many changes from a hardware perspective, but tom it's really also related more of the AI strategy that they finally actually have one now with Gemini.
Speaker 5: So software, earlier in the year, we saw a soft and software that I don't think I've seen I can't remember. I mean, it's just software, you just own it because of the recurring revenue, the high margins, a free cash flow.
Speaker 2: What is the software call.
Speaker 5: On the street these days? Are we trying to pick winners and losers? I mean Microsoft was down twenty five percent year data one point this year, but now it's rallied back to flat.
Speaker 2: What's the software call?
Speaker 8: Well, Paul, I, first of all, I always thought that that was a fictional thesis that Anthropic was going to eat software companies lunch, that these models were essentially you know, going to be destructed. I think what's starting to happen now more and more is the use cases get deputed. Software is playing a bigger, bigger role. That's what's happling Microsoft. You've seen and Pallenteer, and you've seen with service Now and a bunch of others. I think it's idiosyncratic to the point that there will be software companies disintermediate. And you look at companies, maybe the view back against you know, when you look in names like Adobe is a good example. That's a good example of one where it's okay, Adobe into it? How they how is their business not going to adjust? But it's a much different narrative today than it was six months ago.
Speaker 2: Nobody cares. Alexis here, wants to know who are you wearing today? I love this?
Speaker 5: What's what's on your ship?
Speaker 2: For these penguins? So these are penguin penguins. These are the parrots.
Speaker 4: And then here this is a duck hat.
Speaker 2: You're very bird today. Who in God's name shirt are you wearing? So many emails in they go, is Dan wearing Pucci?
Speaker 8: No? This is actually it's a company out of Bali. Kenny Matthews, Kenny Flowers.
Speaker 2: I can see it on your show, Kenny Flowers. They're out of Bali people wild. I want to know dan Ice, thank you so much greatly appreciate it with all of his work as well. Here and looking for that Apple launch here in a bit Yorkville and ives. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Over a decade ago, David Brooks did an essay that was just spectacular on the nerds and the smooth people, and it was like instantly you shoe in an essay of the year, And every year there's like four or five six essays where I'm like, yeah, what am I going to do here? Which is the essay of the year. Last year was like the Brooks essay of decades ago, complete total layup. Is gen Z unemployable? Susie Welch, You didn't have to do this some serious academics around our perfect grandchildren and our dogs. How many dogs do you have?
Speaker 9: I just have three at the moment.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a three dog then, but yeah, okay, and Susie welch with us of NYU and just incredible work on you know, all the emotions that we face every day. You have a blistering update? Is gen Z unemployable? Are they strivers? Now?
Speaker 9: You know, I don't think it's blistering. I think it's fascinating. I love gen Z. I know that they can be very, very frustrating. I get that, but I spend all day with them, and I don't want to hate on them. Okay, but so I will say this. Here's the update.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 9: We test values. We have a psychometric tool called the Values Bridge, and it's a very clean, scientifically validated tool, and it rank orders people's values and we can cut all the data by we have two hundred thousand data points. We can cut it by generation. So last year, at this time gen Z had achievement, which is ambition and grit and desire to win and compete, down at number eleven. And actually Tom, the good news is that over the past year, probably because of the constricting job market for entry level jobs, gen Z's achievement value has marched steadily up to number six. So this should be cause for celebration in some ways because we would like them to like to work. The complicating factor is that the value of work centrism, which is the desire to organize yourself around work, has dropped, has dropped. It's number fourteen. Okay, So what we've got is, look, and you know, it's not just gen Z. Their parents also have relatively low work centrism.
Speaker 2: And I think that's a problem with the Keynouse.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think that it's that it's people have a lot of trouble wrapping their hearts and souls around this concept of organizing their life around work because they've learned the hard way that work does not love you back. Okay, you can work and work and work, and then you can get fired or your job can evaporate. And so people are like, yeah, here's the conundrum. Want achievement. Gen Z wants achievement more than ever in recent years, the data shows, but they want to work probably less than ever.
Speaker 5: How about AI for the young folks, that's got to be almost issue number one.
Speaker 9: This is what's causing it. AI is making them more ambitious because they think, okay, if all the entry level jobs are going to go away. I'm going to fight harder for them. I've got to get something. So I think that the rise and ambition and achievement and wanting to win is from the fact that AI is coming and they can hear the hoof, you know, the hoof beats going. But I think the desire to work and the lack of desire to work is also from AI, because they're like, what's the point the contract is broken. I can throw myself into work and I'm still going to be outsourced at some point. And so look, they're dealing with this, they're right on the front lines of it, and I know, please don't jump down my throat, but I feel for them.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 5: How's that manifesting itself in how they study in school, what they study in school, how they pursued jobs, how they think about a higher education. Well, there's a graduate degree, a professional degree.
Speaker 9: Well, I think two things are going on at once. There's a They're depending heavily on AI. In the classroom. I had to go back to blue books last semester. It was just like the old the days. And then I saw their handwriting and I was like, Okay, I've got to have another solution for this. I think that they're very confused about what to study. I think the school's education. I mean, I'm not saying anything new. Need to change what they're teaching. They've got to change what they're teaching because it's really you know, professors are called flat footed about what we teach. I teach a class called Becoming You, so it's kind of evergreen every semester. But even in teaching management, I now have to which I also teach, I have to think about what they're actually learning. And I'm actually focusing more and more on people skills, you know, and which we're considered soft and sort of like, don't waste our time with the people's skills. Now, I'm going right back to that same cool and the machine will do.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 9: Why why why?
Speaker 2: I see so many kids that are train wrecks, and by kids, I mean people into their thirties where they're doing things that are complete career.
Speaker 9: Look Tom, I total I called like and what a CAUSEES is a whole demographic of sad parents. I think there's like a gigantic co board of sadness.
Speaker 2: No joining us now, Alexis I got.
Speaker 10: Three gen z Yes, Okay, So I definitely hear what you're saying, and you know, is it that they are just you know, they feel like the social contract has been broken, right, I mean even even when it comes to like being able to afford a home, right, they're just like, you know.
Speaker 9: They think they'll never afford a home. They think I could work my rear end off and I'll never have a house. You had that promise, I don't have it.
Speaker 2: Susie Welch with a professor of management practice at NYU and my essay of the Year last year, and she's just on fire dealing with gen Z. I got eight ways ago, Paul, get a question in here because I got eight ways to go with Professor Welch.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean the issues I have four kids twenty two to thirty.
Speaker 2: Wait stop stop, guys, Sweeney as the perfect family off four from total head screwed on. They're working, totally deployed, working hard.
Speaker 5: Go So what's the message to them, Like, what do you think is resonating with the folks that you talk to that maybe you're facing some of these issues.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm face this issue every day in the classroom because I'm helping them with career formation, and so I say something that they don't want to hear. Okay, they want to be told go learn this skill, that skill, major in this and go get that job. That's what they want to hear. And I say, I'm sorry, I'm going to see something much harder. Sit down, and what I say is the world is changing so much. We don't know what's going to happen in six months. We don't know where industry is going. We don't know anything. Here's something you really have to know. You have to know yourself. What are your aptitudes? Not your skills, because your skills are going to change. What are your aptitudes? Are you a generalist or a specialist? Are you a future focuser, prison and focuser. You've got to know your values like cold, you can't list off the virtues that everybody has. Oh, I believe in honesty, fairness, everybody does. I don't want to know you If you don't, what are your actual values? What are you willing to trade off? And then you have to know. I mean, here's the thing they hate hearing. They hate hearing is like you have to understand all the conveyor belts are broken. You cannot march directly into banking or consulting the way you used to guess what open up that aperture. There's twelve mega trends. There's tons of other industries you're not thinking about. Not true, far the fastest growing your stream in the world.
Speaker 2: Let me let me take two texts. Here Robert from Bracton, thank you for listening. Ninety to nine FM up in Bracton. Robert for Brackton says the problem is because of YouTube and the influencers. They all think they're going to start at one hundred and fifty thousand a year. Where did this come from?
Speaker 9: I have no idea, but it's true.
Speaker 8: It's true.
Speaker 9: People who are literally not a single skill, not a single day's experience, coming in about the six figure in their head. I think it must be connected to what their parents paid for college, and they think I gotta start getting the money train going. And it's disconnected from reality, completely disconnected from reality.
Speaker 2: Let's go to a reality. Can we start. You're out of your Urbana, Illinois. You're a chemical engineer. You're popping ten thousand and five at their dollars a few years ago with one thousand dollars raise. If you're Lucky General Electric in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and Jack Welch said, I don't like this, and he literally quit ge before the guy above him saved him.
Speaker 9: Me h, let's talk about why he quit. He quit because everybody got the same bonus at Christmas, and he hated the fact that he was the best performer, which he was, and he got the same bonus as the worst performer because he was a big guy in meritocracy. Okay, So like this cold concept of being paid more or less run straight into the sense of equity today, Jack Welch, who.
Speaker 2: You full disclosure, folks, I'm qus me bias at my father. My father would look at schonnecting go Tom. Anyways, I'm biased Susie too, frankly your former husband. But the bottom line is Paul Sweeney and I what was your first job, Paul, oh, washing dishes, ready begging groceries at Wegmans. That was my first choice.
Speaker 9: I stopped milk at Cumberland Farms. Okay, man, I know I did.
Speaker 7: I was so proud.
Speaker 9: I was so proud I got fired. I got fired because you wouldn't that.
Speaker 4: I don't lay one day. I'm still kick it over it.
Speaker 10: I'm still ashamed of yourself. I was a cash here at Pioneer Supermarket. There's like one in Manhattan left.
Speaker 4: That's how I started out, not over so.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, my thirty year old twins, their first memory was nine to eleven. They went through the Great Financial Crisis, then the pandemic interrupted. They're education.
Speaker 2: I think back.
Speaker 4: I'm like, man, you guys have had a kind of rough and I don't like to give them. I don't like to give them any I agree with them.
Speaker 9: No, no, get in line, Get in line. I think that I hear this all the time. You know what I hear often from my students is that not for my students, but I hear from people who are gen z generly not my students are excellent, but they They'll say, I had a tough childhood, and I'm like, let's compare.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 9: It's like, this is there's always some there's always some excumes because it's this. But I want them to take charge of their lives and get to know themselves very very well. With the sunglasses with the rose colored glasses off.
Speaker 2: That drives me nuts. And I've been so advantaged with the interim program here at Bloomberg have really smart because my record is they have four people that work for me in the press conference at the FED press conference. That's cool, but it drives me nuts when somebody in the gen z who says they're so smart, and I'm like, no, actually they're not. How do you explain to a lot of these kids, as my mother would say, slid through, that youve got to get smarter fast. Your math isn't there. You didn't do what.
Speaker 9: I don't know what smartest anymore. I don't because it's because the machine can do everything. And so look, I teach my students to understand what their aptitudes are. And one of the questions I have is do aptitudes matter anymore? Because if you don't have an apportueney, you're not a brainstormer. That's an aptitude, Okay, how quickly your brain shoots that ideas? That's actually a studied identified at what.
Speaker 2: Percentage of machine can do it?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: So what percentage of your class at n YU are the brainstormers you call them that I grew up with.
Speaker 9: So okay, so brainstorming is sort of thirty thirty percent of the population has very quick idea generation thirty percent or idea contributors. They sort of lay one good idea a year and then most people are in. You know, there's sort of forty some thirty forty yes, but you know, actually the admissions department looks for those those kids. But my question is with AI, what difference does it make if you're a natural brainstormer or not. What difference does it make you can just go to the machine and say, hey, I need five ideas in ten minutes. What they think? Then why why do not agree?
Speaker 2: I think you've got to have an underlying set of critical thinking skills and then AI helps you.
Speaker 9: I hope that's true, But I mean AI can do amazing things, and I think actually, one thing, it's becoming a crutch so quickly. I mean, this is a real challenge for us as professors, just like, well, what do we teach them now?
Speaker 10: But you know, there was a survey today about recruiters saying, hey, listen, I know when your resume has been written by AI. So now they're going back to old fashioned ways. They're testing people before they at the job. They're looking at referrals. They are talking about you know, who knows this person best and are they really going to fit with the culture of my company?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 9: I know, well, that's actually very interesting that students come in or young people come in for interviews. Now am I caring a huge amount about culture? And I remember when I started out as like beggars can't be choosers. You just went in and you got the best job you could. You were sort of like Now they come in and they kind of quiz you about culture. I think that they've been trained that in college is to really ask, you know, am I going to fit with this culture? And I guess back in the day within ourselves into the culture of the organization.
Speaker 5: So I mean, I don't know how in your business of education, Yeah, I don't know how you guys do it today.
Speaker 2: From the first grade through university?
Speaker 5: How do you deal with AI and what?
Speaker 9: Yeah, we've had Look, it's been we've all been learning on our feet. So I think I remember the first time it was maybe two three years ago and I asked a question in a quiz and I was I had eighty students and like seventy eight of the answers were exactly the same day. Literally cut has to put the question into AI and so I came into the classroom and I said, hey, why don't you help me figure out what you would do? I put up the question and then I clicked through after one after another of every single answer being the same, and I said, what would you do if you were me? They were in dead silence. And now I've just started getting quzzes in the classroom. I give a lot of oral quizzes. I think we're scrambling to figure it out. We're not sure in education you want to even teach in business school anymore.
Speaker 2: I got one final question with immense respect for all you've done and with Jack and Susie Welch, it was just an incredible formative time of not striving, but just belief in the American corporate system. How do we rationalize one hundred thousand a year to go to college?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 8: I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean Alexis had a thing last week, or maybe it was Lisa and Bloomberg money on ninety thousand dollars, Sorority rushes the fancy people.
Speaker 9: Susie is just out of comm I don't know how you rationalize it. And this is why some people are opting out of college. And I think this is why you know, people are beginning to push back and say what do you getting out of it? But I don't know how you rationalize it. I don't know which way it's going. I think every time I sort of poke around and say, like, you know, what are we going to be doing, what's the campus going to look like in five years? What are we going to be teaching? Every Look, we're all in kind of a throll. This is like a big bomb that's been dropped on what education has done. And education has been around doing the exact same thing for a couple hundred years. It is going through in massive upheaval. I have no answers for you.
Speaker 5: I'm in there having sat on boards before. You have to cut the cost base, not five percent, not ten percent, thirty forty fifty percent at cost base, fixed cost, look around.
Speaker 9: Maybe there can be two years of work before you go to college or something like that. But I just still I want to keep coming back to this thing is you got to know yourself. Kids come out and they have absolutely no idea what they're good at. That's a problem.
Speaker 2: And your free time are you going to put a book together? Yeah?
Speaker 9: I got one coming out in March, right, you'll believe me again. I'll be around banging on your door in March.
Speaker 2: Okay, she'll be flagging it. You will be Professor Welch, thank you so much my essay of the year last year. I'll put it out again on Twitter and LinkedIn Professor Management Practice at NY.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, seven to ten am Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal