Speaker 1: Hey, that folks. It is Saturday, July Fit and welcome to your recovery run. That's welcome to a d day. This episode is dedicated to trying to recover, but we all went through during the week brow we started this this last weekend. Weeks are tough and oftentimes as runners, literal runners, we often have a recovery run. So explain to folks what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yes, a recovery run, if you're a runner, is a short, easy, low intensity run, and it's usually done after having a strenuous workout or several strenuous workouts, so that your muscles can recover. It reduces soreness, and it just actually makes you feel better, so you deliberately go slower and easier, and it's.
Speaker 3: Short, but it has a big impact.
Speaker 1: So the point of us doing a weekend morning run is to do all those things you just said to be slower, easier, less intense. And I guess the talk all week robes was absolutely about Ditty and the Ditty trial, but over the past several weeks, so just reading through that stuff watching news coverage, I'm pretty sure there's some parents who won't even allow their kids to watch some news coverage giving some of the subject matter, but that has been heavy. You don't have to be covering it. It's heavy and people have had heavy conversations around it, so it's good they could be.
Speaker 3: It's true if you think about it.
Speaker 2: Every time you read a news article or see something about the Didty trial, there's always a warning about explicit material, but also a warning for folks who have gone through any kind of domestic abuse or any sort of violence. They're warning that just reading about it or hearing about it can trigger up trigger old feelings or make it difficult for people to process pain and problems.
Speaker 3: So yeah, just.
Speaker 2: Seeing it, hearing it, reading it, and living it it does take a toll on you, not just mentally, but I think this sometimes as well.
Speaker 1: So we have been sharing with you all some of the things we do in these high intensity weeks. How do we try to take a beat, how do we try to recover? How do we try I guess to just slow life down a little bit? And first row, I guess we have didn't it. First of all, we haven't been great at it this week. No, I think we have fallen off and failed a little bit, and we prioritized work and there was a lot of it. But we haven't. We haven't done a great job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, full disclosure.
Speaker 2: So we had plans and I think sometimes this is maybe what we will do from here on out. But when you schedule and plan relaxing time, it actually works. We tried to do that this week, but unfortunately, because of the constant headlines with dinit trial, we didn't do what we set out to do.
Speaker 1: Will you say that we canceled our relaxation.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 2: We canceled. We canceled our recovery runs this week. It was so frustrating, but we ended up having to do it, or we chose to do it. We chose to do it. I guess we could have chosen are choosing. Listen, this is why I need a recovery run. I just said, choosen.
Speaker 1: You need recovery sleep?
Speaker 3: I need I do need sleep. That's the first thing that we're gonna do. But we had tried to.
Speaker 2: We picked out a movie, we picked out a time, we picked out a theater, and then at the last minute we said, we have.
Speaker 1: Too much work to do. And now as you said that, I actually remember two thirty Alamo draft House Downtown movie playing. We had it set.
Speaker 3: Yes, twenty eight years later.
Speaker 2: We've been so excited about seeing this movie, and we really wanted to see it in theaters because it's a zombie movie, and of course those are always much better on a bigger screen. So we canceled that, and then we thought, you know what, let's punt you and I. All of our daughters happened to be out of town at the first part of this week, and so we thought, let's take advantage.
Speaker 1: Of that because we were going to have all of them for a long.
Speaker 2: Time, because that's where we're currently with all of them right now. Actually we've escaped from them for a quick moment to record this. But we decided, then let's go to dinner. Let's go have a wonderful steak. Sit down, We'll have a glass of red wine and a steak, and we'll just the two of us enjoy. We were so exhausted at the end of the day, we said, nah, let's just go to bed.
Speaker 3: You actually said let's just go to bed.
Speaker 1: This is embarrassing. Really, we always we preach this, We tell folks this, and look we do for ourselves. We do practice this. But I'm thinking about this week and I know the Ditty trial and everything that was happening coming at us this week was a lot. We had a lot to do, but it it did. We we failed a little bit this week. We have to find time together. You and I have to find time to just be the two of us. And even with our all the kids gone, we had no kid responsibility, and we still ended up working by choice fourteen to fifteen hours on a Friday.
Speaker 3: That was tough. That was That was a tough day.
Speaker 2: And then the rest of this week has been this same, even while we were traveling with our daughters midweek. And this is something we have left the city, which is helpful, and we are somewhere beautiful with our kids. But when you're somewhere beautiful with your kids, it's still a lot of work. And when you travel, you know, travel delays, the stress of getting on a plane and all of that. But then to have the Diddy trail verdict, it actually came down while we were traveling, so it ended up just being an exceptionally stressful days.
Speaker 1: Were stressed out. Okay, this is a terrible recovery run episode because all.
Speaker 2: About I will say something we did do in the last seven days. We drove out to a wooded path a rail trail. We're actually this is something we did for ourselves. We are training for We haven't said this yet. We were training for the Stockholm Marathon half marathon. And it's August thirtieth and we are traveling to Sweden to go run this half marathon, and so our training has begun and we went and just had a beautiful run five miles in a wooded path outside of the city. And for me and you can speak to it as well, but it was that was probably my favorite, my favorite thing we did together.
Speaker 1: Highlight of the week. Yes, it's probably that. The other thing we're trying to do to recover. We don't know if we're going to be able to pull off. But on this trip we have the girls with us, and on the trip, maybe the next day or so, we were hoping to get away from the girls so that you and I could go escape and have a nice dinner somewhere. This is so I didn't want to adult this much. This is supposed to be fun. This is too much adulting. We have to ask permission from the kids for us to go spend time together. What is happening, Yes.
Speaker 2: It's called parenthood, and as you said, have said, we are doing entirely too much parenting.
Speaker 3: But I know so many people listening can absolutely.
Speaker 2: Miserate and understand. We love our kids. They're a lot of fun. But I do think it's important to prioritize alone time, prioritize romantic time. And I think we also have an added issue of working together. And so what ends up happening is a lot of times when we talk and when we're together, we're working, we're talking about work, we're planning the next thing we're doing, and we're not actually just enjoying each other and just being with each other. And I think that is on our list of things to do. Our homework assignment for more recovery is to find that time to just be and enjoy.
Speaker 1: Something I have individually that has helped me. That we talked about this previously, but you've noticed it keeping our home space very tidy. It's one of those things you've noticed that everybody's noticed a long time. For me, if there's something going wrong internally, if there's something out of my control in life, somebody's pissed me off, or's something going right, I then go into a mode of controlling the controllables, which includes my environment.
Speaker 2: You pull out the windecks and I start cleaning. I mean, he's not kidding. And that's always when I know if he's really upset. If we've had a tough conversation and he starts just vigorously cleaning, I know he's bad. I'm like, oh no, this might take a day for him to recover, but his apartment is going to be The apartment is going to be spotless.
Speaker 1: Walk in and see that, you go, oh shit, what's wrong? Oh no, place looks too nice?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 2: But it's funny because I actually, I absolutely agree with your strategy because I didn't realize I did this as well. But I always feel better after I organize. I think everybody does. I always feel better after I clean. If I look around and see I don't see dust, I see everything's put away, I can relax.
Speaker 3: So it's true. I am the same way. Cleaning is healing.
Speaker 1: That's helped me this week. I didn't. It is one of those things that does help me recover with a little down, things aren't going away. Whatever you want to say. Getting a little depressed, I can clean. When you come in, you see I have more than two candles. Bit. You know this dude is trying to find his way back.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're looking for peace and that makes a lot of sense. And as you were a partner, I really appreciate it. I don't want to make you upset too often, but honestly, it's nice to have that be your outlet. There are so many other things that could be far worse that you could do if you're angry, to try and calm down, and if your go to is cleaning, I am all for them.
Speaker 1: People have different little normal What is it that people notice about their spouses when they are upset? What's usually the sign that they're a little stand authors are a little short or a little snappy or a little What are the things they noticed?
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think with drawn and a lot. Sometimes people just you know, can't get out of bed. Times, people start eating, some people start drinking. I mean, there's people go to their vices. Whatever makes them feel comfort. Right, cleaning is yours. I'll take it. Like I said, there are part What do I do when I'm upset? Do I withdraw?
Speaker 1: Oh? Your voice gets louder and you cry. There's no when there are no signs I need to look.
Speaker 3: For that's true crying.
Speaker 2: But you know what I I So it's a love hate relationship because when I do cry, I always feel better, there's a huge release.
Speaker 3: But I'm always embarrassed that I'm crying, because.
Speaker 1: Never get that. I never understand you're you're embarrassed that you're crying.
Speaker 2: I want to be I want to be more in control, and yet you know, my sadness or my anger comes in liquid form. What can I say? And it's always been like that. I think I've gotten a little bit better about crying less. I don't ever want it to look like I'm trying to throw myself a pity party. But then I'm trying to get attention or I'm trying to deflect from what's going on.
Speaker 3: I think, yes, you do you think it. I know you're thinking, can get but it's not. It's just an expression.
Speaker 2: It's just a release, basically, and and it does always make me feel better.
Speaker 1: There you go, hihen have you grid this week? Remember I haven't cried? Hey, that's far the recovery. Sometimes we need to get a good cry and maybe we can get one in before this episode ends.
Speaker 2: No, I really, I really don't want to do that, but I really would like to go to dinner with you, babe. So let's try to prioritize that, and hopefully next Saturday we will be able to share with our amazing listeners some actual recovery tips that we employed or we used through the week. So let's make that a priority for next week.
Speaker 1: I will, I will give this one. This is something we've done, and I we have to remember to do it sometimes. I don't know if that's good to bad, but I talk to you about this. You and I always have to be good for the rest of the family unit to be good. Sometimes we get caught up in doing this. Okay, Sabine needs this at least needs this need to put out this fire behavor. Okay, Savina is kind of friends are on the way. We get so caught up and doing all of this stuff that pulls us there or there. And I always say, as long as you and I are good and happy and strong, and I think we have made on this particular trip and in recent weeks, even when we're walking down the street with three girls, I don't like when we separate and I'm over here talking to Speen. If you're over there I like to keep you and I together and then everybody kind of comes together around us. Now, that is something that I do appreciate. That is a part of we can throw into the recovery run. But I think a lot of folks can relate to. And you see families walking down the street all the time with hell in New York, with tourists. The dad is in the front, the mom is in the very back. There are three kids and none of them talking to each other.
Speaker 3: It's so true.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, and you see, and it's one of those things when you do observe that, and it's so easy to fall into that. It's so easy, but it's good to remember to remind yourself, Hey, I love what you just said. Bit like seriously that I think that is so the key and we forget get to prate. We always put our kids first, and the unit, the couple, the parents last. And my parents didn't do that. They were the opposite. And I did have that as a model to look to. They always made sure that they were good and that they were solid. And my brother and I, you know, we looking now back on it, I appreciate it, and I'm so happy to have a partner who prioritizes that too, because I really do think it's something you have to consciously prioritize and talk about, because I so agree with that.
Speaker 1: But I've noticed it when right, okay, you might be talking to one of the girls trying to put out a fire, and I'm over here son to look at to being texts some little boys trying to text. We're doing all this stuff. Folks have a little anxiety around a table or something or issue when you and I are just engaged with each other and laughing and joking and having a good time, smiling and holding hands, and they just naturally feel and want to be a part of that. Yes, and I see it happen, and so that you know, I would ask that reminder a long or a recovery tip. That is one of them. You've got to make the couple the spouses they have to be.
Speaker 2: You have to be mindful and make sure that each other is doing all right, you know. And I want to thank you because I have seen you do that. I have seen you make an effort to come and to just hold my hand or to be with me when the girls are all there, so we don't feel separate. That thank you for that. I do appreciate that. It's I've noticed it, and it does make a huge difference.
Speaker 1: There you go. We look at that, and as we've been sitting here, the sun has come up, yes, and it's starting to get a little warm, and it feels fantastic. I don't know if folks could hear. I don't if the wind picked up on the mic here at all, but we are sitting what do you call this?
Speaker 3: It's a peer, this thing we're in, it's like a love seat on a peer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's better than the debt.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, oh yes, it's an outdoor love seat lounging dabt.
Speaker 1: And nobody else here is up that. The whole piers ourselves for the most part. The waves are crashing right in front of us. I don't know if you all can hear that either, but this is a nice recovery. Get some son and get away for the girls and come to some work.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you all for listening, and we hope you all recover this weekend with us.