Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to the Thursday edition of Fair Territory. I'm Ken Rosenthal here with my friend and colleague Alana Rizzo. And Alana, we have an extremely hot team in this sport right now. That team is the Boston Red Sox. They've again won seventh straight. They're twenty five and three since July third, and we're going to talk about them a little bit, but we're really going to talk about a team that suddenly is struggling, team invincible, team that can't be ever beat Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Tim Aher Can I tell you what It's funny because I was thinking about this yesterday, how much of a change it's been over the course of a month in change for the Boston Red Sox. And everyone's freaking out about what's happening with the Los Angeles Dodgers. But they have a sizeable lead in the division. But let's talk about that for a second. Ken, we don't expect the Dodgers, back to back National League champions, back to back World Series champions, to have scuffed this mightily losing six straight. What's going on?
Speaker 1: Well, for one thing, they've played two hot teams. The Red Sox are one of them, and nobody can beat the Red Sox for the last five weeks, and the Cubs at Wrigley were really impressive those last three days, so that's part of this. Obviously. Keep in mind too, they lost seven straight last year and teams will go through this over one sixty two. Now during this streak, they've been outscored forty two to twenty two. They haven't played their best, they lost Schoobls first start. All these things have happened. They are going to be in an interesting spot going forward here because they have, of course, some really talented pitchers coming back, snow Glass now eventually Otani, so I'm not worried about them. But at the same time, the one aspect of this that is somewhat significant is that they no longer are in position to land a bye. Brewers' best record in the National League Braves right behind them. Dodgers have slipped into third now. They didn't have a bye last year. People forget this. They had to beat the Cincinnati Reds in that first wildcard round, but it is better to have the buy to obviously skip that first round get a weaker opponent in the division series. I still expect the Dodgers will be there, but I wouldn't call this situation perilous. It's just a little bit disturbing. They don't want to be in this spot.
Speaker 2: They want to buy and it looks like that the offense is a little bit flat right now. You mentioned some pitching reinforcements coming back, but Katie Woo are colleague here obviously on foul territory, your colleague with the Athletic wrote about it a little bit but looking a little bit flat in terms of the offense and obviously losing Trek Scooble's debut. notWe Scooble pitched well enough, certainly to win that game, but just didn't have the support around him.
Speaker 1: And it's see Katie mentioned there for cities in ten days on the road, that's not easy, and fans and even media sometimes we think, Ah, these guys, they live in luxury, they don't have a problem. They can travel. No, it's not easy, and that could be part of this. Could be just August dog days, they're just not where they are. It could be a number of things. But again, the one thing that's troubling is the catching situation because Smith is still not back and rushing might be down for really as far as a catcher the season, Yeah, they had to go get two catchers the deadline, kind of journeyman guys they've had before, Froduccia and Rod Fitt. But at the same time, all of these things are just not all that important in August. If they don't get the buy, that's something that would be tough for them, just troubling for them. But again, I'm not especially worried about the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 2: The Philadelphia Phillies. They don't seem to be worried about anybody ken right now. Everyone's making a big deal about the lack of what they did at the trade deadline. In terms of activity, they were nine to nineteen entering the break, but they've been really good since fourteen and five. Is what's happening with the Philadelphia Phillies and your estimate?
Speaker 1: Well, they did get a rise at the deadline, and they did some other things too to supplement themselves, so I wouldn't say that they're stagnant in any way. If anything, what they did in having three players change positions to accommodate a rise was kind of amazing and kind of odd, if anything, because it raises this question of their defense and will their defense be good enough? But keep in mind they're chasing a team that right now is hot again and the Atlanta Braves so funny along they were nine to nineteen entering the break. A lot of us thought the Braves finally regressing. Here the Phillies might get them, and they still might. But since the break, Braves are fourteen and five, they've won seven straight and they are a team that looks like, obviously they're going to be a force to be reckoned with in October.
Speaker 2: They certainly look to be that way ken when it comes to the National League in the postseason. And again, I always worry about the Phillies. If you're a Dodger fan, you worry about the Phillies. Another team maybe we should be worried about, and perhaps a guy we should be worried about. If you're hoping that shohe Otani wins the nl MVP race is Pete crow Armstrong. I think any other time that you know showhy is not in the thing you're thinking, Okay, Pete crow Armstrong, And the fact that show Hay is in the National League, maybe he doesn't get it, but he is making one heck of a case.
Speaker 1: Ken Kroh Armstrong is making a heck of a case. And a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago and I raised this to him, said, you know what, it might be a little closer this year, and he said, no, Otani is one hundred percent going to be the MVP. Maybe he still will be, but Pete crow Armstrong because of what he is doing offensively, and it's very comparable to Otani. If we put up the numbers here, I'll show you how offensively they're really close. Right now, just look at those numbers now. Defensively, kroh Armstrong does something that Otani doesn't do. He plays the field, and he plays the best center field in the major leagues. He is one of the top defenders in the Major leagues. Sho course is not pitching right now. Now. If he starts pitching again, then we're gonna have a different conversation. Perhaps he's also not having quite the offensive season he did last year. I want to show you show hey, twenty twenty five versus twenty twenty six, because this is telling. So you see in twenty six fewer homers. Obviously, the ops is down about sixty points. He hasn't pitched lately, but he's still pitched almost twice as much as he did last year and at a higher level. So once this is all decided in September, if Shohy is back on the mound again, I would say he's still the front runner. But if PCA stays this hot, and if the Cubs, I don't know, catch the Brewers to win the division, even if they don't, it's going to be an interesting conversation. It's going to be the most interesting conversation we've had since Judge versus Otani a few years back.
Speaker 2: This is an interesting question. We'll get into more questions in grilling Ken coming up, but Mike G fifteen brings up a good one regarding PCA. That's why I want to address it now. He says, people will dissect every stat when comparing PCA and Otani. Here it is thanks for that, Clint in the MVP race, but shouldn't we also be placing way more importance on which team or which player rather is carrying a non super team. Clearly, Pete crow Armstrong interesting point there that he makes up that he.
Speaker 1: Is, but the Cubs are a really good team. That would be a better conversation if the Cubs were maybe out of the playoff picture, but they are a strong club offensively, defensively in particular, So that's always also a subjective analysis. What he means to his team. If you take him off his team, what happens. That's a hard thing to do, which is why most voters they look at these statistics and they judge based solely on those statistics. It is most valuable player, most valuable to his team and in the league. But it's a really hard thing to try to dissect. Well, if you pull that guy off his club, what happened. We've seen with Aaron Judge what happens when you pull a player like this off their club, and it can be ugly for sure. Now I wouldn't say ugly with the Yankees, but they're a different team without him.
Speaker 2: Ken, how do you think Pete crow Armstrong has taken his game to another level? We knew he was a dynamic player, but it seems like this year, in particular, he has really put it to a different gear all the way around, on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: Actually, Alana I asked him this in our postgame interview Saturday because he had a big game and he said, whoa, that's a lot to unpack. And certainly against left handers, he's moved up on the plate. He is clearly more disciplined than he's been in the past. Also, these two things have helped him. He is swinging less, but he's still an aggressive guy. He just is a player who is maturing in the game. And we see this all the time. We see guys go both ways. Actually, but he's credited to the Cubs assistant hitting coach John Mayley a lot with some of the adjustments he has made, and clearly it has helped. This guy's physical ability is right up there with anyone, and the way he plays center field, of course, it's breathtaking to say the least. So he is a viable MVP candidate. I'm not saying he would be the MVP now. I don't know it's August sixth, but come September twenty seventh, at the end of the season, it's going to be really interesting to see where this conversation is.
Speaker 2: Then, Ken, do you think it's even more magnified that he's doing this type of having this type of performance this season? The numbers are being so good when Alex Bregman is kind of regressing a little bit. I mean, think about where the Cubs could perhaps be without what PCA is doing. Considering Alex Bregman isn't having the best year statistically.
Speaker 1: You're right, and you never know what's going to happen in a season. We have all these projection systems, and the projection systems might have had PCA less and Alex Bregman more, and it hasn't worked out that way. Pregman has come on of late, looks like a much different player really since the break. But at the same time, you're right along it. Things never go exactly how you expect them to go, and PCA's emergence has actually masked a couple of things. Nico Horner has not been the same guy since April. Here they are yet the Cubs being a really formidable club, all right.
Speaker 2: You look at the standings as far as the NL Central is concerned, the Chicago Cubs five and a half games back behind the Milwaukee Brewers, but they do have a five game advantage in terms of that wild card race. So much more to come on fair territory with Ken Rosenthal. Make sure you guys, get your questions in. We are coming back after a few words from Foul with Grill and Ken after this.
Speaker 3: This is that time of year, aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 4: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees Cubs coming up. Where's Yankees red Sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up. Go to cke can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best. Look. Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Sekeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added. To your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 2: Looking to take your MLB action to the next level this season, Boosted Odds are here to crank up every pitch, swing and home run. But MGM is hooking you up with your very own MLB Odds Boost token to get things started all season long. Just add any MLB bet to your bet slip, activate your Odds Boost token, and lock it in. If your bet hits, you're catching out with an even bigger payout gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or one eight hundred my reset. All Right, welcome to the episode of Grilling Ken here on Fair Territory with Ken Rosenthough. This is when you have the opportunity to ask Ken any question, anything that your little heart desires. All Right. Their first one, Ken is in regards to the Baltimore Orioles, as far as that is concerned. Half game back in the wildcard Guardians and Rangers above them. What do you like about this team? What are you seeing from the Orioles right now? And this is after they traded Adlie Ruschman.
Speaker 1: I like that they're playing the Angels. That certainly helps. And not only did they trade Rushman, they traded of course, Taylor Ward and Tyler Wells, who has been a valuable reliever for them. And it's funny. I remember talking with some executive before the deadline and he said, you guys, reporters overrate the deadline. Every year we see a team sell and then take off. Maybe the Oriols are that team. I don't know that they'll do it against better competition, but they still have a very talented group. They have not played well this season, That's why they were in the position they were in and sold the players they did. But it speaks to the American League's weakness that they are so close in the wildcard race. You see it right there, just a half game back, and it speaks to the talent that they do have on their roster that has largely disappointed this season. But the one thing they have going forward here is a pretty solid rotation, and if that rotation can continue performing the way it has, maybe they've got a chance.
Speaker 2: For a wildcard can I did the game the Red Sox game on Tuesday, and that's the first time I saw Eric Miller come out of the bullpen for the Socks, and he was pretty nasty. He needs to work on his walks, but he is a pretty nasty pitcher wicked better. Fifty four has a question for you in regards to this trade, looking back at the Marcelo Meyer trade, from what you know, did the Giants specifically target Meyer or did they feel that this was the best return for Eric Miller, that strong lefty coming out of the pen.
Speaker 1: You know what, I actually don't know the answer to that question. And I don't know if it was a case of the Red Sox showing interest in Miller and then that coming about, or the Giants showing interest in Meyer. Now my guess is it's the Red Sox who made the initial request. And I only say that because I did not hear that the Red Sox were shopping Meyer. That's not something I heard. Now, it doesn't mean it wasn't happening, And clearly the Red Sox felt this was a move that to get a controllable reliever as good as Miller, it was definitely worth giving up the future of Marcela Meyer. This is one of those challenge trades they call them that we'll see how it turns out. It's a baseball for baseball, major leaguer for major leaguer and this is one to follow going forward.
Speaker 2: Eric Miller. Obviously, a strong lefty coming out of the pen gives the Red Sox some advantage in terms of leverage situations from a left hander kin because all they had is you know better than anybody was a role this Chapman, who is their closer. So this is more of the sixth, seventh, eighth type of inning. Next question here is in regards to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Daniel Hyphen doctor nineteen nineteen wants to know why are people giving Pirates flag for their trade deadline. I thought they did a good job and there were no great bats on the market.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. And the problem with the Pirates is since the All Star break they've struggled. I believe they're seven and twelve since the break might be wrong, don't hold me to it, but it hasn't been great. Their offense has struggled in particular, and yes, they were looking for a right handed bat, but they were in short supply. What I liked about what they did is they really tried to fix the bullpen and did it aggressively. Luke Weaver, Kirby Yates and from the Miami Marlins Balker. Those guys should help what has been the weakest area of the team by far. Now you also have some injured players coming back. They just lost Ryan O'Hearn. He'll come back eventually, Connor Griffin. I believe Spencer Horwitz is back, don't hold me to that, but that alone should help them too. O'Neil Cruz is still on the il, So as these players return, perhaps then their offense will return as well.
Speaker 2: Our favorite Met fan armand is Amazing is back in our chat here on Grill and Ken has a question about this. What grade would you give these three teams that sold on deadline Day? The Angels, His Mets, and the Giants.
Speaker 1: All Right, First of all, as I said on my show Tuesday, I don't love giving grades right away because you just don't know what's going to happen. All you can do is judge a team's aggressiveness and how you think they fared in the initial decisions to do what they did. The Angels I thought did really well, and the returns obviously matter, but it was more what they did and finally, acting as a seller. We've been waiting for years for them to do that. They did it. They did it rather effectively. I thought the Mets did what they had to do, and they made a good trade to get the Cubs prospect Jefferson Rojas in the Holmes Taylor trade Tyrone Taylor and Holmes going to the Cubs. Some of the other trades are not going to net them that much. They had expiring contracts. It wasn't going to be that big deal. Weaver also brought them a prospect because he had an extra year of control, a pretty good one from the Pirates. And what was the other team on that alta I'm missing one.
Speaker 2: We have the Angels, the Mets, and the Giants.
Speaker 1: The Giants. The Giants did well in my estimation, and they did well because they acquired two really good prospects for Robbie Ray from the San Diego Padres. I shouldn't say two really good. Two of the Padres better prospects. They don't have a great system, but they were guys that would want They got Meyer. They did some other things as well. And for a team that has really had a down season and for a front office that has been under a lot of scrutiny, and rightly so, they came out okay, maybe even better than Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: I like this next question. Why aren't players asked for their opinion or informed in advance when they are being traded enough some are, don't they consider that they have to abruptly relocate their families and lives. This is a good question because sometimes we forget ken that these guys are people before they're players.
Speaker 1: It's funny. My wife asked me this the other day, Alana. She said, do guys not like getting traded? It's kind of disruptive. Right, Yes, it is disruptive, there's no question about it. At the same time, players generally recognize that it's part of the business and it's something that can happen now. Tyler Stevenson, I don't know if you caught the salana the night before the deadline. He did something big in the Reds game. Was interviewed by Jim Day after the game and he was very emotional, want to go. He's been read his whole career. Trevor Rodgers another example, pitch really well for Baltimore. He thought after ward and Rushman were traded, he was going to go and was greatly relieved not to. In many cases, guys do not want their routines disrupted, and yet in some cases, example, if you're going from a non contender to the middle of a world series push Elliott Ramos for instance, Giants to the Yankees, it's pretty exciting and it can be a really good thing.
Speaker 2: I think it's more disruptive for the family than it is for the player because they have to manage the schooling and the housing and all of that stuff. But it is a business after all. All right, Ken, you are going to be doing a game this weekend. Of course, Dudent Dork is coming up, but let's preview you that Saturday game on Fox with Fox One streaming now. I would love to have your thought on this game coming up. It is the White Sox who have an opportunity to be swept I guess by the Red Sox today and the Cleveland Guardians. What are you looking forward to?
Speaker 1: Well, getting back to whatever that park is called, the South Side Park, Tarrant Guarantee. The last time I was there was a few years ago. Dylan Cees almost threw a no hitter. We did that game, but before that it had been many years. We haven't had the White Sox on at least with my team very often, so Number one. I'm looking forward to seeing the first place team in the AL Central, a team that has had an incredibly surprising and fun year. And while they're pitching Anthony k I'm really looking forward to seeing who the Guardians are starting, and that is Gavin Williams, one of the best pitchers in the American League. And again to highlight the two top teams in the Central, to have them on our network this Saturday. I'm fired up about that. I'm also fired up because the White Sox are retiring Ozzie Gian's numbers number thirteen and one of the guest speakers, our Winston A. J. Presents the giving. We'll be giving a speech and I'm really looking forward to hearing that. Wordsmith.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I was going to ask you if you were doing the game with Joe and John Smoltz and you, but then I was like, well, maybe AJ is on the call, but I guess he's he's a guest of honor, perhaps giving a speech for Ozzie. Gee, yes, okay, he is on the call, so and me, yeah, okay, very good. So AJ is back on his home turf. I cannot wait to hear and see that MLB on Foxes streaming on Fox One. The Race to October starts now. We have your front row seat to the wildest walkoffs, lights out pitching, and clutch plays all season long. Follow every camp mismatchup as teams battle for a spot in the postseason, and stream the twenty twenty six World Series live on Fox One at home or on the go, live or on demand. Never miss a moment. Stream now. Start your Fox one three day free trial today at foxwe dot com.
Speaker 1: I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.
Speaker 2: It is time now for our Dude of the Week segment. Go ahead, Ken, who is your Dude of the week?
Speaker 1: All right? I was thinking strongly about The Guardian's rookie who made his debut last night on Hell Now. Four hits in his major league debut. That's amazing, But it's difficult for me not to give it to the entire Lombard family. George, George Junior, the Mom, and Jacob. On Tuesday night, George Junior made his debut for the Yankees, hit a home run. Jacob made his professional debut for the Marlins low a affiliate, hit a home run. And anyone who knows these people the Lombards really hit thinks, so finally and highly of them. These are some of the classiest folks in Major League Baseball. George Senior, I'm really talking about here. I don't know the kids as well. So it was a great moment for the family and a great moment overall for the game. So the Lombard family Dudes.
Speaker 2: Of the Week, Yeah, no doubt about it. Congratulations to Judy and George and Jacob and George a Lombard junior as well. All Right, my dude of the Week is actually a dude Oat of the Week and is a friend of mine. Her name is Amy Moore. She used to be a ballgirl for the Los Angeles Dodgers. She also was the catcher on the Great Britain softball team. Her dad was born in Great Britain, so she played for the Great Britain women's national softball team for thirteen years. But what she's doing now is she is coaching. She's been coaching for eleven years. She's been doing private lessons for about four years and she was given this letter, which I thought was really special because a woman that went to the park where Amy does the lessons just tape this or taped it to the tree and said, I just wanted to thank you for the love, time, and dedication you give the children every single day. The way you show up for them does not go unnoticed. My late husband and I used to drive by the park often and he would smile and comment on your incredible work ethic. Now every time I see you out there coaching, I think of him and that smile. What you do for these kids has become a beautiful reminder of someone I miss very much. Thank you for all that you would do, for your kindness and commitment means more than you know. With gratitude, Cheryl, So congratulations to Amy for just being a stand up person. She pours herself into those kids on a daily basis, not only just in coaching, but and just being a good role model for them. All right, So congrats to the Lombard family. Congrats to Amy. Let's get to our dorks of the week, all right, Ken, who do you have.
Speaker 1: The Cincinnati reds Now? I can't give it solely to President Baseball Operations Nick Crawl because I don't know what exactly their owner's role, Bob Castellini is in all this, but I'll say this the Reds play in a division in which there are several small market teams, notably the Milwaukee Brewers, but also the Pittsburgh Pirates and Saint Louis Cardinals, who are in essentially the same financial position and yet are performing much better. And then came the deadline. Now, the Reds didn't have a lot to move, but they had another of players on expiring contracts and all they did was trade Nathaniel Lowe and Caleb Ferguson. Now they expect, perhaps to give Brady Singer a qualifying offer the way they did with Nick Martinez a few years back. All good, but could have traded him, could have traded Aohey and Ya Suarez perhaps, And I know the thought process there was, well, we weren't getting much back. Save money at least do that, save money, get the money off your books, put it toward next year, do something. They just have been staggered in for too long and they're wasting the best years of Elie de la Cruz.
Speaker 2: Okay, my jorg of the week is kind of a dorky Dude of the week. This is Jeffrey Yawn, of course, who has just got called up with the New York Mets. He gets out of a bases loaded jam with the ground out, and fans were booing him in Cleveland because he does this crazy dance off the mound and every time he has a strikeout he does this, you know, this little this little move. His poor inner thighs Ken every time he does this. But I will say this, I want to give him a little litle bit of credit. And in his defense, it's been a heck of a time for him to get to this point. He started pro ball in twenty fourteen, blew out his elbow in nineteen, didn't pitch and pro ball for five seasons. During that time, he worked as a roofer. He was a landscaper, a delivery driver. He was playing in a local Sunday league for a team Ken called the Expendables. Let the man celebrate, So he's kind of my dorky dude of the week.
Speaker 1: Let them play. I'm not this guy. We see all kinds of stuff every night.
Speaker 2: That's right, all the Shenanigans. Let the man play. Well, that's going to do it for us here on fair Territory. Foul Territory is coming up next. A. J. Pierzinski, Eric Kratz and Scott Braun as a Gian on the show Jim Hayes. Noah hyles Can, of course, is back on Monday. You can watch him on the Game on Fox on Saturday. Take care,