Speaker 1: What is going on? Rich Jamiro here rich on Tech. You are listening to rich on Tech Live. This is the show where I talk tech and help you get the most out of your gadgets. Also, I'm gonna take your phone calls. Rich Damiro tech reporter at KTLA TV Channel five in Los Angeles. Some of you might know me from there. You can learn more about me at richontech dot TV. Phone lines are open. You can call in with your tech questions at three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. So much going on in the tech world lately. It really gets me excited because I you know, I just by the way, I do want to say hi. We are also broadcasting live on Facebook. So if you're watching this live and not listening to it as a podcast, to load to everyone that's watching live. So there's two ways to kind of consume this live on fook behind the scenes, but also as the podcast that you might be listening to. So, you know, there's just so much going on in the tech world and it does get me excited, and you know, I'm basically my job is to kind of play with these gadgets. See what's cool, see what's good, see what's bad. And the neat part is that I feel like a lot of good things are happening, especially for consumers lately. And Google, Man, they had this event last week. Now I was in Japan during the actual event, and so I couldn't be there, unfortunately, because this is always one of my favorite things is to go to any of these events. But Google especially and Apple of course in Samsung, I mean, there's so many good ones now, but they launched so many new products. Let me count these up. You got one, you got the Google Pixel two two of those, because there's an xcel and a regular. You've got a Google Home Mini speaker. Then you've got a Google Home Max. Then you've got a Google Pixel book and pen. Then you've got Google Clips. Man, that's a lot of stuff. Oh and Google Pixel Buds. I didn't even count those. But that's a lot of products. And the crazy thing is is that it's becoming really competitive for these companies. I mean, you've got Apple who sort of led the way in creating the products from start to finish. They create the product and the software that runs on it, and a lot of people like that because it works really nicely. If you've ever used an iPhone or a MacBook computer or any of these things, I mean, they really do work nicely. And that's because Apple is kind of controlling it from start to finish, and so other tech companies have kind of taken a page from that. Microsoft did that with the Surface and they decided, you know what, we're going to make our own computer. And then of course Samsung they don't really They've done some stuff with software because they do actually make a software called Ties in which they use to run on their some of their mobile devices, but on their phones they do use Android, but it's a heavily customized version of Android that you'll only find on a Samsung phone, and so they've really tightly integrated the hardware and the software as well. And of course Google too. So we saw the Google Pixel lilast year. That was absolutely one of my favorite phones of last year. Such a great device, and what I loved about it is that it was simple, it was pure Android, and the camera on that thing was just amazing. And the funny thing is about the camera is that it's not even really the camera that's so good. It's the processing power that Google puts behind it with artificial intelligence. So let's just go over some of the things they announced. They're Google Pixel two, that's the first thing, and basically this looks like the Pixel except a little bit longer. They kind of kept that same weird back that they had before, with the kind of metal on the bottom and the glass on the top. I was never really a huge fan of the design of the original Pixel, but I did carry it around for many months because I love the camera so much and the software. They have a five inch version or a six inch version, and they have these funny names too. They've got them in clearly white, kind of blue, just black, and then the bigger one comes in black and white and just black. So the great thing about the these devices are well, they're not really I mean, Google would love them to be mass market devices, but they're just not. They do have the best camera I've ever seen on a smartphone, but people just you know, they're tough to get. They're only sold at Verizon and then you have to get them, you know, unlocked from the Google Store. And I think maybe they'll be in more places this year. But they weren't even tough to they were tough to get just by buying them. I mean you couldn't even get them online. It was like they were sold out for half the year. Anyway, this year's Google Pixel two has the world's highest rated smartphone camera, so it gets a score of ninety eight by the DxO Mark, which is you know, there's a lot of websites that rate things, but DxO mark is kind of this big mobile rating website for cameras and regular cameras and of course smartphone cameras, and they have become smitten with the Google Pixel because it's just so good. So I just think the cameras on the picture on this thing was just amazing last year. Now they've added some new things, which you have this new portrait mode. All the cameras are adding this thing, the portrait mode, which gives you that nice blurry background, and Android devices have had this for a while, but now Google is doing it in a much better way. And the neat thing about theirs is that it works with selfies as well, so not just on the back camera but also on the front facing camera, so you can have a lot of fuhne with that. The videos are stabilized. You get unlimited storage which to me nowadays, I mean, it's cool, but it's not that big of a deal because everyone gets unlimited storage with Google Photos. Anyway, this you just get the full resolution. So you can charge this thing fifteen minutes, you get up to seven hours. They have this new feature in it called Google Lens, and this kind of reminds me of back in the day they had something called Google Goggles, and it was basically where you can aim your phone at something and it identifies it. And we all know Google knows everything about everything, So you can have some phone with that. Point it at the Eiffel Tower, it's going to tell you all information about the Eiffel Tower. Point it at a book, it's going to tell you where you can buy that book, or more information about the book. And of course you can do QR codes as well and phone numbers. One of the cool things is you can scan a business card and just tap on the phone number and call that person or email them. There you have it. So Google Pixel two, that's going to be coming out very soon. And the pricing on the Google Pixel too. Let's look up the pricing on the Google Pixel two. So let's see six hundred and fifty dollars for the original for the regular size, I guess I should say, and that is going to be for sixty four gigs of storage. So if you want sixty four gigs of storage that's unlocked, that's going to cost you six hundred and fifty bucks. If you want one hundred and twenty eight gigs of storage, you got to pay an extra hundred bucks. So you're talking now seven hundred and fifty dollars for that phone. Now, if you want to go with the bigger pixel, the six inch pixel XL, which is always my choice, I always go with the bigger phone because I like the larger screen size and the bigger battery, I say, why not. You're already spending that much money, you might as well spend a little bit more. And then you've got, let's see, so the bigger phone sixty four gigs, So that is let's sell me what our total amount eighth and fifty dollars. So, and of course the just black is there, but the black and white is sold out already on the website as I'm looking at it. Then there's this thing called the Google Home Mini. This is a speaker basically like the one that came out last year Google Home. This is a tiny one. This is a fifty dollars speaker, voice activated. You can ask it questions, all kinds of stuff. I have one set up here in my office and I really like it. It's a great size. And the cool thing about this device is that you can, basically, at this price, put one in every single room. So you put one of these in every room. You can go into any room you want, ask questions, you know, get answers, change your lights. I've got my lights behind me here. You see those lights if you're watching on the live stream, I've got those hooked up and I can control all the lights in this room by just doing a Google command, which is really neat. You could change the color, turn them on, turn them off, dim them, you can play music. There's so how much you can do. I have a son No speaker in every room and I love Sonos, but it's really wearing thin on me at this point because I'm kind of digging the fifty dollars Google Home Mini. And the sound is really good on it, so, I mean it's not gonna be as good as sons obviously, but it's pretty good. I mean, how good do you need your sound to sound. I don't know. For me, I don't need it that good. I just want to hear some music while I'm cooking, And if I can easily call out, you know, an album or a genre of music and have it play, that's pretty convenient. And also my kids they love asking questions to Google. I do too, and it's just fun to always have someone around that knows everything. Other than my wife, she would say, I'm a note all. Probably. It can also recognize up to five five other voices, so six voices total on the Google Home Mini, and that is going to be fifty dollars when it comes out very soon as well Google Home Max this is four hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Whoo.
Speaker 1: That one's expensive. So this is kind of to me, seems like the most similar to what Sonos is doing. If you want a really high powered, quality speaker, and so this is it. This is the high quality speaker. And this is obviously a bigger speaker. It's twenty times more powerful than the original Google Home. I have not tried this one out myself, but this one has something called smart Sound, and Sonos has something very similar built in. Basically, the speaker adapts itself dynamically to the room that it's in, so your stuff always sounds great. The problem is when I tried to set this up with my sons, it never worked, so I don't even have this thing. I don't have my sons tuned in a good way. But the smart sound on the Google Home Max, you don't have to do anything. It automatically uses Google's artificial intelligence to adapt to your environment, your context, and your preferences. It automatically tunes itself. That's really cool. So I would like to see that happen. And again I'm not an audiophile, so I don't really don't care, but it's really cool that you can do this stuff. And the neat thing about the Google Home Max. When you get that, you get twelve months of YouTube music ad free on Google. So twelve months times ten bucks, that's one hundred and twenty dollars. So you do the math four hundred minus one twenty you're talking what two hundred eighty dollars two three four, Yeah, So you know, if you do your math like that Google Pixel book, this one is a head scratcher for me. I just don't see spending one thousand dollars on a device that does not run apps that I need it to run, so I get it. I have a MacBook. I just got a new MacBook Pro and I love it. It's thin, it's light, but it runs everything I need. And now most of the stuff I do do in Chrome. But there's a lot of little apps I have on my you know doc here that are not Chrome apps. They're not web apps, they're actually apps. So this only runs Android apps, and of course anything that runs on the web, so Google Docs, Google Photos, Gmail YouTube. But the cool thing about this is that it's a four and one suit. It's a laptop, and then you can flip it back it's a tablet. Then you can also flip it kind of tent style, so you can, you know, watch things on the plane like that. But I just don't see the I mean, I see the appeal of this thing at one hundred bucks or two hundred dollars, but not at a thousand. So to me, the Google Pixel Book is a very very small targeted amount of people that would want to get that device. It's definitely not for me, definitely not for the creator. Moving on, Google Clips, this is a camera that's also a head scratcher. It's kind of like a GoPro without a screen and with a brain, so it automatically captures moments in your life without audio either. So this is kind of a weird little thing. I think it's about two hundred and fifty dollars, Yeah, coming out two hundred and fifty bucks. Works with iPhone, works with Samsung, and works with a pixel. But it's just a weird thing. You set it and you forget it. And this thing is going to recognize your family and your pets and automatically take pictures or videos of them as it sees fit. It's kind of a weird thing. I don't really see this becoming very appealing because the reality is, if you want to take a picture of your kids, you want to take a picture of your kids now, I get it. There are some moments that are really cool, like if you're teaching your kid how to walk and you can set this thing up on the side and capture your kid taking its first steps. I get that. Or your dog leave it in your house and you can see your dog all day long, kind of some of the funny things your dog does. But the reality is, I don't know, that's kind of a weird one. So I'm gonna skip that. But maybe some people will buy it. I don't think so. Two hundred and fifty bucks, no way. That's a big purchase for no sound and kind of a weird, hands off kind of approach. Now, if they put it out for fifty bucks, yeah, I could see that thing being popular. And finally, Google Pixel Buds. These are earbuds that you know. They basically are wireless headphones for your Pixel or any Android phone. I have not tried these, but I don't like the look of them. They look kind of weird and they go in your ears, and I'm not a fan of any earbuds that go in your ears except for my Apple AirPods, and those work fantastic. I can't imagine a better pair of headphones at this point for everyday use. Those are one hundred and sixty bucks. These are I think, let's see Google Pixel buds. I believe these are yeah, one hundred and sixty dollars, so same price so to me, unless you want the Google Assistant, which is built into these things as well, I don't really see these as very appealing to me. Or of course, you have to have all Google products because you're a Google fanboy, but I don't know. Premium audio. They don't get tangled because there's like a small cord that just goes around the back of your neck wireless of course, built in microphone. They fit your ears. The neat thing they showed off at the Google event is how they can translate things, so real time translation, which you can speak into your speak into them in a different language, and then it'll translate into another language, but all through your phone. So you can already do this on your Android phone anyway, So I don't really see the point of that either. So anyway, but I guess my point out of all these Google products is that I like I like what they're doing with a pixel, I like what they're doing with the speakers, but the rest of the stuff I can kind of pass on. So there you have it, all right. Taking more of your phone calls after this, The phone number to call in is three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. You are listening to Rich on tech Live. I'm Rich Demiro, tech reporter at KTLA five News in Los Angeles. I will take more of your phone calls at three one zero or I guess I'll take my first phone call three one zero five nine four three zero zero three right after this. Thanks for listening to Rich on tech Live. You can subscribe to this podcast by searching rich on tech in your favorite podcasting app. That way, you can listen anywhere. Welcome back to rich on tech Live. I'm Rich Demiro, tech reporter for KTLA five News in Los Angeles, taking your calls, answering your questions, and just having a good old time with you. Thanks for tuning in. This is a new for me, so it kind of fun that we're doing in this little podcast here. You could be watching on Facebook Live or you could be listening in your car or wherever. So thank you so much for doing that. I do appreciate it. So let's take our first call. We have someone calling from the five six to two area code five six two. You're on with Rich. Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 3: All Right, this is a logan. I'm just calling them.
Speaker 4: Maybe you've gone over the topic or not, but.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about switching phones right now. I have an Android, I mean the Galaxy Note five, and I just want to see what are your thoughts on the next phones that are coming out in regards to the new Note, the iPhone eight, Plus or the iPhone X or the Google Pixel.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I know, aren't there so many great phones to choose from? Right now? Logan, I am like I'm in heaven right now with all these phones.
Speaker 4: So yeah, there's so many good options to choose some but it's like you know which one is the best one? You know, like like which one? And I YouTube the different reviews and you know the now so they don't have that many reviews on it. But but yeah, you know, I'm just like, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so let's go through something. Well, first off, what what do you want to do on your phone? Are you doing social media? Are you doing pictures? Like what's most important to you?
Speaker 4: I'm a relator, so I would say pictures, you know, and kind of having everything synced up I have.
Speaker 3: I have a HP laptop and then I have the iPad, so I'm kind of all over the place, but I don't really have preference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so realtor, so I would definitely say pictures are going to be important to you for sure, That's number one. So I mean that to me is kind of Google Pixel, the or the Note eight. So the thing about the Note eight, I think would be good for you is that you would use the stylus I think to either markup documents. You probably send contracts to people, so that would be really handy. The only thing I don't like about the Note eight is some of the bloat software on it. But otherwise I've been carrying around for a while. I really like Get. I think it's one of the better Android phones out there, and it's a well rounded phone. So the pixel is amazing, but it's kind of like one sided. It doesn't have a lot of the features, a lot of the neat features that you get, like wireless charging that you get on a Samsung device. So when it comes to iPhone, I mean, look, here's the deal with the iPhone. iPhone is amazing, and as a realator, you know, you might find some use in certain features on the iPhone. Just having a phone that a lot of people have. You can easily air drop photos. You can, but you're telling me you use an HP laptop, which leads me to believe you won't be using air drop or I message on your laptop. So I think for you, it really comes down to you've had a Galaxy you might want to look at. I'd say, maybe the No.
Speaker 2: Eight.
Speaker 1: I think that's probably gonna be the best bet for you as a realator logan because you're gonna get a lot of use out of that, out of that stylus. So thanks so much. Yeah. I mean, these these phones nowadays are so good and there's so many of them that it's really tough to make a decision. The iPhone ten. I'm not discounting that phone. I'm just saying, you know, the iPhone ten. The problem with that one is that it's kind of new technology, so you may not want to jump on board right away. You're gonna pay a thousand bucks for something that's a little bit unproven. Six one nine area code. You're on with Rich six one nine. Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 5: Hey? This is John John.
Speaker 1: How you doing. Are you calling from San Diego?
Speaker 5: I am calling from San Diego. I'm using two of the products that you recommended.
Speaker 1: Uh, oh, well, I hope you're happy with them.
Speaker 5: One is the original Pixel right, love it, and the other one is my epic Epic two wireless headphone.
Speaker 1: Look at that. You're my best fan because you're using two things that I've recommended in the past and you like them.
Speaker 5: Both, right, I do they work fantastic, They pare easy and everything. Yeah, I have a question with the Pixel two. The greatest thing I think about initially getting the Pixel was it had fantastic support that you could get their text their phone, and I'm wondering if they're continuing with that tech support. That's my first question. The second one is why don't they ever build phone that have a great case in them on them? We don't build it with the case. I don't understand why they don't think of that. Because we get pases and we have to go out and buy one. Why don't they build a phone with a great case on it.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so to kind of break down your question, John, Okay, so Pixel two. Yeah, A big part of the first Pixel was that they had sort of instant support on it, so you had like basically you could chat with someone. You know. They didn't mention that about the second one. I know you can call someone with a Pixel two. I don't know if they have the chat support or the instant support like they had with the first one. So that's a really good question. I'm not sure. I don't see it in any of the paperwork that I had on the Pixel two, which is interesting because they really hyped that up for the first pixel. Maybe they realized that a lot of people buying the pixel were sort of, I don't know, a little bit tech savvy, so maybe they just decided they didn't really need that. Let me see if it if they mentioned that here in my paperwork. So let's see, we've got unlimited storage, big entertainment, your personal Google search, what you want better together? You know, it's interesting. Maybe I don't know. I don't think they discontinue that feature, but I don't see it as highlighted. But that's a really interesting question. And basically, if you had a pixel, which I carried around for a long time last year, you would be able to kind of get instant support from someone at Google. And I just actually used this yesterday for something else unrelated, and I was chatting on their website with someone and they knew who I was because I was logged in. So it was a really cool little feature. So I don't know about that part. The second part about the case, So that's you know, I think part of this john is that people like to customize their phones. So if you have a case that's built in to the company that might seem like, oh, well, people aren't really going to like this device because they can't customize it, So that might be part of it. But there are some phones that have sort of a rugged exterior, and that is the the Samsung Galaxy Active series and also some of the there's some other phones from Verizon. They're sort of like rough and tough, and they do they come they don't come with a case on them, but they basically have a case. So I think that that's kind of what you're talking about. But the reality is, I think number one, the case industry is a multi billion dollar industry, So I think the case manufacturers would be very unhappy if if all these phones came with a case and they no one got to buy a case for them. But I think personally, it just depends on the person. You know. I like these cases from a company called Peel and Getpeel dot com, and they're super thin cases, like literally so thin, it's just unbelievable. But sometimes I like cases that are a little bit thicker. If I'm traveling, I definitely put a bigger, thicker case on my phone because the chances is when I'm traveling of me dropping my phone is much higher. So that's why I like to have a case when I travel, but for every day, I really take risks with a lot. With a lot of my phones, I kind of don't keep a case on them, and that could be a problem because I do drop them and that's not fun, all right. Phone number is three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three. John A great question, And realistically, people love to customize their phones. I mean, to me, the part of the beauty of a phone is that there's so many choices when it comes to cases, and I think that's part of the appeal of the iPhone too to a lot of people, is that there are so many options when it comes to cases and when it comes to accessories. And so I've noticed with the Samsung line of phones, there's a lot more You're seeing a lot more cases, You're seeing a lot more accessories that are made for Samsung because they are kind of neck and neck with iPhone when it comes to how many people have them and how many people know about them. When it comes to a phone like the Pixel, I mean, I don't really see as many accessories for the Pixel because yeah, that's just the way it is with the pixel. All right, next question we've got from the area code three one. Oh you are on with Rich? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 6: Hi? This is June Rich.
Speaker 1: How are you, June? I'm doing great. Where are you calling from today?
Speaker 6: Again? It's the same old VA nurse?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay, how you doing?
Speaker 6: I'm okay. I want to know why T Mobile is going to this new program with their new phones where they're not financing anymore, and they were saying that more of the other companies are going to go the same trend.
Speaker 1: So what do you mean, what like what they're not financing in what way?
Speaker 6: You know, how you would go and buy a phone and then you would just pay your the phone off within two years within your bill every month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they're not doing that. They're not offering that to you anymore, well.
Speaker 6: At least not at Costco. I usually do that at Costco where it kind of gives me a gift card and it meets both to both ends for me, and Costco is not doing it. I think they're just trying to really phase out T Mobile and they're really marked getting at and T is verising more.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting that could be, you know, it could be on the back end of Tea Mobile. Maybe they're just not giving Costco the deal anymore. But I mean, I think for the most part, from what I've seen, is that almost the only way you can buy a phone these days is the monthly payments. I mean, obviously you can pay full price for it, but I think that the majority of people are financing it, and that's what I see, and I still see it on T Mobile's website. So maybe you just have to go direct to Tea Mobile. I know, Costco Wireless. I mean Costco in general always has a better deal on just about everything, as you know, June, because I love shopping there as well, and they always have sort of a slightly better deal than anything else anywhere else you'd get a phone or anything. So if you get a bag of popcorn at Costco, it's going to be a little bit bigger than the bag of popcorn you get somewhere else for the same price. If you buy, you know, an electronics device, which I love every time. I mean, you know, when I go into Costco, I have to look through the electronics section. That's that's my thing. That's just what I do. My wife. Every single time we go into Costco. She starts going into the store and I say, honey, you know I got to go look at the electronics. She goes, why you just looked last week. I said, well, I have to see what's in here, what's new, what's different. And I love looking at the prices because let's say you buy something like a hard drive at Costco, So your hard drive is going to be maybe the same price as that hard drive somewhere else, but you're gonna get like maybe a free something with that hard drive, like a free USB flash drive or something like that. So realistically, Costco always has a great deal. Let's say you buy a printer there, Well you're going to get a printer, but you're also gonna get like a year's worth of ink cartridges, whereas you may get two ink cartridges at best Buy. So they always have a little value add on, which I love. So if you're shopping for electronics, definitely check out Costco first because they always have fantastic deals. So June, thanks so much for your question, and I will take more questions at three one zero five nine four three zero zero three after this three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three. You are listening to rich on tech Live. I'm Rich Demurro. Rich on tech dot Tv. Is the website where you can find me. I'll be back in just a moment. Thanks for listening to rich on tech Live. You can find me on Facebook at facebook dot com slash rich on tech. There I'll share fun, tech tips, photos, and pretty much anything else I find interesting. See you there. Welcome back to rich on tech Live. I'm Rich Demiro rich on tech dot tv, and I'm taking your calls, answering your tech questions and just having a lot of fun with you. Guys. We've got some folks behind the scenes on Facebook Live. Thanks so much for them for watching and listening and joining in, and of course you listening to the podcast. Thanks so much for that. It's a lot of fun to have this all going on. So let's talk about movies anywhere. This is a really new, interesting thing that just launched, and it is phenomenal. I am very impressed that Hollywood is doing something and I'm not trying to be negative here, but I'm just kind of impressed that Hollywood's doing something that's good for the consumer. Because this is something that I've wanted for a really long time, something that I've thought about for a long time, and it's actually happening. And so it's called Movies Anywhere. It's a new app, it's basically a new service, not just an app. So you sign up, You go to Movies Anywhere dot Com. You sign up, and what happens is, you know how you've bought all these movies all over the place, like you know, on iTunes, on Amazon, on Voodoo, Disney, wherever. Google maybe have a movie or two on there. The reality is it's been a pain in the neck to manage all these digital movies because the problem is they don't play everywhere. So if you buy a movie on iTunes, it may not play on Amazon. And if you buy a movie on Amazon, it doesn't play on your Apple TV as of right now, as I say this, because I know that the Amazon Video app is coming out for Apple TV. So eventually it happened. But the reality is this is all new and this is amazing. So what you do is you sign up for this account, Movies Anywhere, and then you go in and you link all of your other accounts, So you link your Amazon Video account, you link your Google Play account, you link your iTunes account and you link your Voodoo account and your Disney Anywhere account. Next thing, you know, all of your video libraries are the same everywhere. How amazing is that? So all of your videos are synced across every library. So let's say you buy a movie on Amazon, Boom, it shows up on your iPad in your iTunes account. Let's say you buy a movie on Voodoo, Bam, it shows up on your Google Play library on your phone. Pretty amazing, and it works with all the movies that you have, or most of them. So they've got a bunch of studios on board. They've got five studios on board, which is a majority of them. So they've got Sony Pictures Entertainment, Walt Disney Company, which is Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Just Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar Kids, Twentieth Century Fox which is all those movies, Universal, and Warner Brothers. So who's missing missing is Lionsgate and also Paramount. So those are the two holdouts. And if I was Lionsgate in Paramount, I would get on board with this right now because guess what this is how people are gonna You're not gonna I mean, you're gonna be less apt to buy a movie from Lionsgate or Paramount digitally because you know that it's not gonna work everywhere and all the rest are So they got to get on board. The other thing, the other place or thing or whatever you want to call it that's not on board is Microsoft. Now. Microsoft in the past has been very stubborn with stuff like this. I don't think they're gonna stubborn anymore. I think it's just a matter of time before they get on board. But basically, any movies that you purchased on Windows right now don't work with this, and vice versa. So there's a bunch of movies, not every movie, but a bunch. If you sign up for this, they're gonna give you up to five movies for First, if you activate your account, they're gonna give you two movies, basically Ghostbusters and Ice Age. And then if you connect a bunch of your accounts, so in one more account, you're gonna get three more movies for free, Big Hero six, Jason Bourne, and the Lego movie, which my kid loves, so we already have that. So actually, out of all these movies, let's see, I already had Ice Age. I already had Lego Movie, and I already had Big Hero six. Oh no, that was on Netflix. I didn't own that, So I got four movies for free, which is kind of cool. Does it support four K? No, the app doesn't right now, but it will support four K movies, so when you watch them on your screen, like through your native four K like an Amazon or an Apple TV, it will work in four K. But basically you can now watch your movies anywhere on any device, Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Chrome, Cast, iPhone, iPad, iPad, Touch, Roku, web browsers. I mean, it's really amazing that they've pretty much gotten everything, which is just unbelievable. This is so unprecedented and it's so weird because usually, uh, these companies are kind of out to get us in a different way. And this basically makes me want to buy movies digitally now because I'm like, all right, good, I can watch them on all my devices. And the neat thing is you don't have to change the way you do things. That's what's really cool about this. Once you sign up, you really don't have to go back to movies anywhere. Now. You can just keep using iTunes the way you normally do, and if you ever want to switch over to Android or Amazon, you can and it just works. So there you have it all right, Let's take a phone call three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five to nine four three zero zero three six six one. You are on with Rich? Who's this?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 2: Rich Squigg from Antelope Valley?
Speaker 1: Greg, how's it going? Is my picture all gone? Or what is still working? I don't know what happened when I took the live call or when I took the live person Uh, it really everything took a nose dive with the with the video quality. I don't know what happened. But anyway, Greg, what's going on?
Speaker 2: I was quandering, are there any issues with the iPhone as as far as the because I've noticed a brill kind of drop off in when I'm talking on the phone and I can barely hear the collar.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting my hearing. No, here's what I think happened. I think that the ear piece is clogged, because think about it, it's against your ear and it can pick up some debris. So what I would do is I would actually get a canned air. I have mine. Oh yeah, right, here canned air, and I would just go ahead and give that thing a little blast. Now, be careful because you don't want to just you don't want to ruin your phone. But I would go in there maybe with a Q tip. You can put a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny bit of rubbing alcohol in there if you want to kind of clean things. But this is actually a great question in general with iPhone because a lot of times people will say, my phone's not charging or the audio is not work work, And what happens is the little connector on the bottom of the iPhone gets some lint in it from your pocket, or you know, the ear piece collects lint from your pocket and it gets stuck in that little grill there. So that's what I think is happening with your phone. I would give it a little clean out and see if that helps. But in general, you don't want to use too many liquids on your phone. But a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol, just literally just a tiny dap might just help to get that cleaned out and just kind of give that a nice cleaning and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I would do a reset on your phone. See if that helps. Do your software update, obviously, and if none of that happened, if none of that helps, and I would bring it into the Apple Store and see what they have to say about that. But generally, I think you're gonna I guarant you know. It's funny. We have these little earpieces at work, like these little headphones microphones that we use, and sometimes all of a sudden they stop working and it's like, well they're clogged, they're no longer, They've just collected a lot of debris. You put them in your pocket, you put them in your ear. So it happens, and you just have to be aware of it. So good question, Greg, Thanks so much for asking. All Right, I'm gonna take more of your calls and end the show right after this so and I will be right back with you guys. Thanks for listening to rich on Tech Live. You can find me on Instagram with the username rich on tech. There I'll share random photos, including stuff I eat, my family, and where I'm traveling. Welcome back to a rich on Tech Live. I'm rich Demiro, tech reporter for KTLA five News in Los Angeles and other assorted TV stations nationwide. Thanks so much for watching on TV and listening to this podcast. It's been a fun show. It's been a great first rebirth of the show. So hopefully I did everything right and it all worked out. Let's call, let's take one more question before we go here. Three one? Oho? Oh hang on, let me stop that. Okay?
Speaker 5: Three?
Speaker 1: Oh you are on with Rich? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 7: Hey? Rich is Darlene. I'm sorry I messed you up?
Speaker 1: Oh, hey, Darlene, what's going on?
Speaker 7: Oh? Not much. I wanted to ask you. I updated my iPhone to the IOF eleven. Okay, and now my songs don't play when someone calls me.
Speaker 1: Ooh, your songs don't play? Okay, it sounds like something. Are there are the songs still on the phone.
Speaker 7: Yes, and there's still a sign to my specific people.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're still a sign.
Speaker 7: Oh play. It's just just a generic ring tone thing.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I have not encountered that problem because I don't actually have special ring tones for people, So I'm not sure why that's happening. So, so, you you had everything set up, it worked, and then you updated to iOS eleven and it just stopped working. Right, But you're saying that.
Speaker 7: I've checked and other people have had this problem too.
Speaker 1: Okay, so other people, Okay, now, are you updated to iOS? They came out with a new one like yesterday or the day before. It was likeo point three. I think have you updated to that one? So I believe so well, it sounds like they have an issue. This sounds like a bug. And I will email my friends at Apple and tell them about it, because I'm sure they know. I'm sure they have a million and one bugs. I'm sure they're more concerned about the launch of iPhone ten in like two weeks, so I'm sure they're like, uh, we need to fix that before we fix the ringtone issue. But it's it's definitely that's an odd issue. And I'm trying to think if they changed anything with audio. No, they didn't change anything with audio. Yeah, that's a that's a weird one. And so the weird part to me is that you're selecting the song and it's a signed to a person, but when it rings, it doesn't actually play. It plays something else.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, right, they're generic, like you know, ring tone.
Speaker 1: That definitely sounds like a bug. So I'm gonna I will email my friends and uh, now you know, believe me, they're gonna They're not gonna like respond immediately. They're probably gonna be like, yeah, we know about this, Rich so but for sure, but for sure, that's definitely frustrating. So thanks all. I got to talk to you twice today. Thanks so much. And I don't know what happened with you. We tried to bring you on live earlier and it was just kind of it garbled my screen. So maybe I don't have enough bandwidth for other live video on. Let's see email through my Facebook page, Facebook dot com slash rich on tech Jill wrote me and she said, Roku or Firestick. I would like to ask you which one is better, Roku or Firestick. Well, that's a tough one. You know. I like Firestick slightly better. I like Amazon fireTV in general, just because I like the interface a little bit better. What I like about Roku is that you have a universal search that's really good, and it's also sort of platform agnostic. And what do I mean by that is that they don't Roku just wants to have everything all at once. They don't really care. They don't really like if you go on an Amazon fireTV. It's very much, very much slanted towards Amazon content, which kind of gets annoying sometimes, whereas Roku they just kind of feature stuff from all from all over the place. So I think the Roku interface is just a little bit outdated, but they have updated it recently, so maybe that'll be better. Fire TV, I feel like they do a lot of work in kind of keeping that up to date, and I love the interface. It just looks nice. When it comes to apps, I think right now what you see happening with the apps is that a lot of them come out on Apple TV and fire first and then Roku or Roku kind of at the same time. But I think you'll be happy with either, I really do. I think it really comes down to are you a big Amazon Prime person? And if you are, then I think go with the fire Stick. If not, you can still get Prime content on the other one. But if you watch a lot of Amazon Prime stuff, you know, go with the fire Stick. If not, just go with the Roku, and I think you'll be pretty happy with that. They just came out with a ton of new Roku devices, including one called Express Classic, which is really crazy because or I said, called Express Classic. Let's see Roku Express. I think it's Express Plus rather it connects to classic TV, so it's exclusively at Walmart and it's forty bucks, and it has the old school connectors, so you can actually connect this, this smart streaming device to a stupid TV, like an old school TV, a tube TV, because it uses the composite connectors, which are you know, the old school you remember these they're red, white and yellow, not HDMI, so it works with HDMI too, but it's you know, if you have an old TV and you just want to use it with a Roku. It's kind of funny. Actually would probably freak out your friends if you actually bought one of those. All right, rapid fire segment. We're gonna take questions from the chat room. So if you guys have a question for me, you can go ahead and write it in the chat on Facebook Live and I will answer those in a rapid fire method. So I know it's a little delayed from when I talk here to when you guys actually see it, so it will take a moment for this to happen, so in the meantime, I will tell you this. You can find me on Facebook, Facebook, dot com, slash rich on Tech, Twitter at rich Demiro, and Instagram at rich on tech Instagram. I have a lot of fun with because I do a lot of stupid stuff on there, Like on my Instagram stories, they can disappear, and they disappear in twenty four hours, so I really don't care. So you'll see me. Like last night I shared what was I what I was making for dinner, some pasta dish, and you know, I'm not a food person, Like I'm not a foodie. I mean, I'm definitely not a foodie. But anyway, all right, Linda in the comments says, what about iPhone eight? iPhone eight is fantastic, so there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, I at this point am recommending iPhone eight over the iPhone ten. I think it's a better value for more most people. iPhone ten the advantages that you basically get a big screen that takes up the entire front of the phone the disadvantage, and you get a better camera, slightly better camera but not much, just slightly. And the second thing that you get is no home button, which I don't like. So yeah, I recommend the iPhone eight. I think that's good. Lisa says, love my Roku. I had a fire stick. They don't have CBS All Access on there. I love my soaps and CBS. I thought Fires does have CBS all Access? Uh does Amazon? Uh CBS all Access? I thought they did. Maybe maybe that was back in the day. Yeah, okay, yeah it's on there, so I don't know. Uh, yeah it's on there now. So best app for iPhone? Best app for iPhone? Man? What what's my favorite? My iPhone's in use right now, so I'm trying to look at think of my home screen. Man, what's the best. There's so many good apps. There's so many good apps for iPhone, all of them. I mean, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. Uh. Just got a new seventeen inch MacBook Pro. How should I care for the battery? I heard you shouldn't rain it all the way too often. I think you'll be okay, you know, I just do whatever I want with my batteries. My last MacBook lasted me four years. I did not put a second thought into the battery and so h and it still works great. I actually gifted it to my dad when I got my new one, and now he's gonna enjoy it. And the battery lasts just fine. So there you go. Marabell says, what's a good time to buy an iPhone. I still own an iPhone five C. I want a bargain. Okay, you want to bargain on your iPhone, Well, the best time to buy is really when the new ones come out because they drop the price of the old ones by one hundred bucks. But the reality is what you really want to do is look for those deals from the carriers. So the carriers often have deals on iPhones where they will give you. What you want to look for is when you can trade in your phone and get more than that phone is worth. That's the best way to do it. Jim says, what do you think of ways traffic reports? You know, it's funny. I'm actually not a fan of ways. I don't use ways. I don't like being bopped around. I'm just the kind of I will just set it and forget it, so I will just take the road. I will take the freeway. I'm a very easy driver, and I just I don't really need to be taking left turns randomly through neighborhoods. So I don't really use ways. I've tried it. I took it on a you know, I want to do my due diligence. When it came to Android auto I tested it out. I was driving up to Santa Barbara and it was just crazy. It was like every five minutes it was like something's happening in the middle of the road. There's debris police on the right side camera there, and I'm like, oh, I mean, uh, I didn't realize there was so much going on. I'm just driving, let me drive. So I ended up switching back to my Google Maps. I actually, I don't even want to admit this, but these days I've actually been really digging Apple Maps. I know it's only when I use my iPhone, but I actually think at this point Apple Maps is cleaner looking and feeling than Google Maps, and it's actually quite good. I know for a while Apple Maps was terrible, but it's not that way anymore. So it's I would give it another chance. If you haven't used it in a while, try it out. But I've been very impressed. In fact, now when I go back to Google Maps, I'm like, oh, I kind of like the look of Apple Maps, and they do have some really nice features on there too. All right, thanks so much for listening. This has been great. You guys have been a ton of fun. That's gonna do it for the show. This has been Rich on Tech Live. You can find me on the CAPS Morning News. Usually I'm on around five fifteen, seven fifty and nine thirty, I know, crazy hours. You can download this show wherever you get your podcasts. Just search Rich on tech and please tell your friends I'm Rich Demiel. I'll see you next time. Bye bye