Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's our one on this Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Everybody's here, everybody's in the sandbox. The Minister of Humor, Fritzie is here annoying everybody around the building. You're doing a great job. Fritzie's always looking for an audience, and so he'll go from room to room. And we got people who are working in the back. We're building out a new podcast area, so there's construction going on. He's talking to people. They're not even listening. They're hammering, you know, they're bringing in pieces of plywood. And Todd's looking for an audience as you're.
Speaker 3: Followed behind, scolding. Are they work?
Speaker 4: You can't try out your material with them? And if things to do for the show.
Speaker 2: All right, So Fritzie is here, You got Dylan here, Marvin Polly, yours truly, and of course the back room guys. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Good morning. If you're watching this program, you can watch it on Peacock. Also NBC Sports Network First Hour brought to you by Dude Dude Wipes Wetter is better available at Amazon and major retailers nationwide. Dude wipes best clean pants down pull question, play of the day, stat of the day forthcoming. I would like to announce this to the Commissioner of the NBA, Adam Silver. I need to come up with a new category, a new stat It's called shots discouraged SD no t SD shots discouraged. Victor Wembanyama. I think Portland shot nineteen percent on the shots that Wembanyama contested in this series. That's where you go and you do a pick and roll and all of a sudden you think you're open, and then all of a sudden you just see him fly by or come out of nowhere. Shots do scouraged. This is kind of like hurries, you know, I talk about Max Crosby. Sack's not as important to me as hurries are, because you can hurry a variety of throws and you could, you know, out of that, you could get interceptions in completions. Now, yes, bringing the quarterback down a sack, I think we get caught up on that number as opposed to how many times are you getting near the quarterback speeding up his process? And Max Crosby is maybe the best at doing that. But with Wemby, shots discouraged. Now we did try Receiver caused Interception RCI, where the receiver is the one who caused the interception that didn't catch on. So maybe shots discouraged with Victor webben Yama. I'm letting the commissioner know, as I've let him know about a couple other things. You know, positionless positionless all NBA teams, the sixty five games minimum if you're going to qualify for postseason awards. Now, everybody loved that. You didn't have to play a particular position. The five best players are on the first team, and such and such, second and third, the sixty five games. There's been some pushback, and I'll take the blame on that because we can change the lottery, and they're changing the lottery again. Load management is the big issue, not the lottery. It's load management. I don't know if there's a solution to that. And next time we have the commissioner on I mean, I get it, you want to have teams stop tanking, but I need players who want to play. And I'll go back to Victor Windanyama. He wants to be great, he wants to be MVP. He wanted to be defensive Player of the Year. You know what he did in the offseason last year He worked out with one of our guests today, Jamal Crawford, who in the pantheon of great ball handlers in the history of the NBA. His name is in that conversation. So Wemby worked out with Jamal Crawford to work on his handle. Amazing, and he's just getting to the point where he's figuring out where to be on the court offensively, defensively, he's already there. But shots discouraged in the Portland series and you could see guys like this is where quarterbacks say that they see ghost you know, or the pocket is getting muddy, and Sam Darnold famously said that, you know, he sees ghosts in the pocket, like Wemby is a ghost. He's he's there. I'm not sure where he is, but I know he'll be here. And that's what you saw in this Portland series. It was fun, fun to watch. He is musty TV. There is no other player I'd rather watch than Wemby. Now there's other you know, when Steph is at his peak, Steph was wonderful. There's so many, you know, great players even Joe l Embiid last night. I'm all fire up this morning. I gotta slow down a little bit. I'm watching Embiid last night and it was a reminder game because I kept watching and going, okay, Boston, okay, Boston. Ok uh oh, and then the fourth quarter they were horrible. But Joe Ellenbiid, keep in mind the first two years he didn't play, had a bad back, and really his college career was spotty because of injuries. But this was supposed to be the process. Could have been a bust, and you know his career will be tricky when it's over. When we look back and you go, he he didn't win an MVP and didn't win a title, but the numbers are there, like you think he's a bum when he's averaging what twenty seven, uh, I don't know, eight and four something like that. I mean, it is a down year for him, and you could see, really he's almost hunched over on the floor. He can't jump. Still has great touch and great feel for the game. But you're watching last night and I just thought, man, I don't know how he's doing it, but when he's on the floor, he can still be a difference. Now, Philadelphia. You know, I loved me some Tyres Maaxing. I loved him coming out Edgecombe. I think is a good draft pick. Then Paul George. Paul George is fun to see. I mean, I don't want him on my team, but I you know, he does have a beautiful jump shot. But I'm watching and I go, Okay, Philly has some talent here. It's just Paul George's not Paul George. And joe El Embiid is not Joel Embiid because of injuries. But you're watching that game last night, and I love Boston to come out of the East, and I kept thinking, man, you can't have these kind of nights. And they had a horrible fourth quarter, certainly from three point range. So I'm watching a lot of the NBA last night, and boy, hey, let's go out to Seventh Avenue and take off our shirts and celebrate because we beat the Hawks.
Speaker 5: We're up three to two in the first round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Nicks in six, Nicks in six. I'm going come on, are you that desperate to celebrate? Yes, come on, let's go. Let's take off our shirts.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin DP, they are going working and next game in the playoffs is just one of those.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: Let's just see how bad they overreact to a win against the Pacers in Game two of the Eastern Conference Finals.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, well, Eastern Conference Finals. I'm okay celebrating. We're in the first round, aren't we.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but now this is the tradition because they've been good for about thirty six months, so every single first round we won Boston. You know you don't, I know you don't.
Speaker 5: Let's go outside and take off our shirts.
Speaker 6: We beat the.
Speaker 5: Hawks at home, yes, Paul.
Speaker 3: They got rid of TIBs. Last year they were fifty one and thirty one, lost in the Eastern Conference Finals. They have two more regular season wins this year. They don't feel as threatening, but they're they're doing pretty well. It's a good feeling down there.
Speaker 2: Jamal Crawford will join us coming up next hour. Albert Brier, the Monday morning quarterback, will join us. There's some football items to talk to him about. I saw where Russell Wilson maybe the Jets. I'm like, hasn't he suffered enough? And we're still waiting for Aaron Rodgers to show up? Feels like that's a foregone conclusion. Speaking of which the NCAA is going to make it official in a couple of weeks. They're going to seventy six teams for the men's and the women's teams. And the one thing that I never ever want to hear again is a coach complaining that they didn't make the tournament. Not allowed to have that anymore. Can't say it. Seventy six teams, Yes, Martin.
Speaker 4: Team seventy seven is going to be a fire season.
Speaker 5: Not allowed. We were nineteen and fifteen, not allowed.
Speaker 4: We had Tier one wins.
Speaker 2: And they expanded, like I told you they were going to. They just add games on Tuesday and Wednesday. You're gonna have a site Dayton, Ohio again, and then you'll have what I'm told will be a West Coast site as well. Working on the travel, trying to cut down the travel. If you win your game on Tuesday, you have to play on Thursday, Wednesday, Friday. So they want to try to help out with travel there. But yes, nobody wanted it, but we got it seventies. You know who wants it. Coaches, coaches wanted, conferences want this. That's where you can brag and the Big ten can say we got nine teams in the SEC. We got all of our teams in March Madness. Here, here's the problem I have. You know what, I'm gonna save it. I'm gonna save it. I have that for you coming up. Man, I'm wound up today. I am wound up, ready to go. I don't know what it was. Maybe it was Wemby. Does that to me?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, much to Todd Shagrin, he's not big on the Wemby coveries.
Speaker 5: Oh I know, I know.
Speaker 8: No, no, say say so. I have nothing to say. He's amazing, He's a unicorn. It's all been said. That's the problem.
Speaker 4: And well, now all you could do is just keep reiterating all the different adjectives that have.
Speaker 2: Been Okay, but did you ever say that about Michael Jordan. Everything's been said.
Speaker 4: Because that was more of my era when I was younger.
Speaker 3: That's We all have our little biases.
Speaker 2: But Wemby is getting better. He's twenty two, he's getting better. We ran out of things how to describe Mike. When I would do highlights, I'd be like, I don't know what adjectives to put in here.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Martin, Yeah, Fritzy, we're seeing something we've never seen in our lifetime before. This is Ralph Sampson, who can handle the basketball and play on the perimeter.
Speaker 2: Todd's not watching this, Thank you, Todd, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 3: But you know certain players, they developed their games and they change. You remember early Jordan was attacked the hoop, get fouled, dunk on people. But then six years later he became a low post killer and protected himself. Wemby, he averaged nine threes attempted last year. He's down the five and a half this year. He's brought his game more inside. He's altered his game.
Speaker 2: Here is the Spurs Radio Network last night with a highlight through holiday.
Speaker 1: Brings it back up the floor, hands it back to Monti Kamara attacking, goes up on way Minyama needs some of the.
Speaker 5: Block, cuts his six.
Speaker 7: He then tomorrow throws it up.
Speaker 1: He underside of the basket, out of bounds. What can he not do?
Speaker 2: His out of this world Spurs Radio Network, there you go toaz out.
Speaker 5: Of this world? What can he not do?
Speaker 2: He's not human, He's not eight seven to seven three DP show operator Tyler's sitting by doing nothing except for answering your phone calls and petting my dog pull question, Well, do you have one right now?
Speaker 9: I do, Dan, Okay Off, the NCAA tournament expansion is expanding the tournament to seventy six teams, a good idea. Sure, the more the merrier, or no, it's perfect the way it is. We actually didn't even need the first four those to Todd's verviage.
Speaker 5: I just don't know if anybody was saying we need this now.
Speaker 2: I know that in college football, okay, we went from four to twelve, and I said, in my lifetime, I'm good, Well they realized how much money. Everybody's excited about it. Now we're going to go to sixteen. Then we'll go to twenty four. When we get to twenty four, it'll still be interesting, very profitable. I just worry because these leagues they never you know, relegate, they never move the clock back. They never go let's go back to thirty two teams not happening. You know, NBA gave us the play in game. Baseball's added more playoff spots. I mean every league is adding more. Like if you can't make playoffs in hockey, it's like you should be fired. Half the league make the playoffs. The exclusivity that's attached to this is long gone, so I understand.
Speaker 5: It, but I.
Speaker 2: Think that there can be that. Boy, we're teetering on the brink here of watering down the regular season. Everybody's going to make the tournament, yes, tod.
Speaker 8: And that could be arguments for why coaches don't want extra teams, because you couldn't make it with that many team in the field, you should definitely lose your job, as opposed to well, all these teams, I'll definitely get one.
Speaker 4: Of those spots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So we'll come up with the poll question a little bit more. With March Madness expanding, they're going to make it now, the paper is signed. From what I'm told, probably two to three weeks down the road they'll make this official. But it is happening a lot of reports on this, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 3: You know on Selection Sunday would show a team and they show the different coaches. What if you're shown and you don't make it, your coaches walked right out of the building. Oh he gets fired on CBS National TV like the old days of Hard Knocks.
Speaker 2: Hmm, okay, I mean it's reality TV. They never show reality on reality TV. That's what disappoints me. You know, when the Kardashians go through all of their messes, we never get to see those messes though. It's like it's always homogenized. Yes, Dylan, you're.
Speaker 9: Telling me the secret lives of Mormon wives. Isn't actually that secret?
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that there's the Housewives of Rhode Island.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, what yeah?
Speaker 5: Who asked for the Housewives of Rhode Island?
Speaker 3: No small state, A lot of drama, that is true.
Speaker 9: Everyone in Rhode Island does know each other.
Speaker 5: Well I didn't. Somebody said that to me and I laughed.
Speaker 2: I thought they were joking, and then I realized, there's the Real Housewives of Rhode Island.
Speaker 5: Yes, Todd, what's old is Newport again? I guess, thank you, Tod.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Real Housewives of Delaware next year? Dan not?
Speaker 5: Actually not, Why I wouldn't, I mean, why not?
Speaker 3: There's drama and Delaware.
Speaker 5: There's drama everywhere, but you create the drama.
Speaker 2: It's like, all right, you got to get mad at her and then you you know, you know, knock over some glasses and you know, turn over the table, okay, and action.
Speaker 9: That's your reality. They do always seem to have a glass of something.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 9: It's nine am. You're drinking wine again.
Speaker 5: Well, there's certain shows that they do encourage you to drink.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what was it? Love is Blind? I think, yeah, they're drinking all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember I was on Jimmy Kimmel's show years and years and years ago. He had an open bar and you know, people were you were encouraged to drink, and then they eventually got rid of the bar. But I remember it's like a sure, I'll have a beer before you go out there. All right, let me take a break. Just getting started here, did I tell you how great Wemby was last night?
Speaker 6: Time?
Speaker 4: He's not human?
Speaker 6: He does.
Speaker 4: Think he's a unicorn.
Speaker 5: Out of this I think is a giraffe.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break, pull question a little bit, more on the March Madness expansion, Jamal Crawford later on and Albert Breer the Monday morning Quarterback phone calls are welcome as well. We're back after this Dan Patrick's Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 4: Wap SO you got here.
Speaker 10: I have a podcast empire. It continues to grow, and I have brought it here to iHeart. I'm also doing a live radio show from three to five pm Eastern because my wife wanted to kick me out of the house. It's called ste Gotson Company Live, which is available in podcast form right when the show finishes every single day. Some of the biggest names in sports, a lot of phone.
Speaker 6: Calls I Love you Guys show, It's one of my favorites.
Speaker 10: A lot of interact shit guys not taking themselves too seriously. Those are just some of the things that you can expect from Stu Gottson Company and Steve Gotson Company Live. So listen to Stu Gotson Company Live and our original podcast. Please subscribe, rate and review Stu Gotson Company and God Bless Football. Taylor's livelihood depends on it. You do it today and you can check all of those out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Play the day. Coming up, we'll settle on a poll question, Dylan. Let's start there. Well, we got up so far.
Speaker 9: Dan is expanding the NCAA tournament to seventy six team is a good idea. Ninety one percent think it's perfect, just the way it is.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 9: We also have will college coaches on the outside looking in of the seventy sixteen field be still christ snubbed? Of course they will or nope. The days of winding you got jobbed are now over.
Speaker 2: Yep, can't say that, you know, we should have been in there. You know, your bubble teams, it's a thing of the past. They will, though, they will, they will. This is what I worry about. If you win your conference, now let's say you're Wafford or throw out a smaller school Miami, Ohio winning the.
Speaker 5: MAC, you should be in the sixty fourteen field. I don't.
Speaker 2: I want these other schools that didn't win their conference that they're going to be playing on Tuesday and Wednesday, like, show a little respect to these teams that were great from start to finish. Now you can say, well, their competition not the same as the SEC or Big ten. I understand that, but I just don't want to lose sight of the you know, the smaller schools, the mid majors. Give them something, don't don't make them play a play in game or the first you know whatever.
Speaker 5: We're calling it.
Speaker 2: Let them make the sixty fourteen field or sixty eight team, but have the other teams other schools they do Tuesday and Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, and that's what happened with the first four this year. It was Howard sixteen seed, UMBC, Prairie View A and M Lehigh Miami, Ohio. All those teams that you just talked about.
Speaker 2: If you win your conference, you should make the tournament. And I'm not talking about, you know, the seventy sixteen field you should make. You know, when we fill out our brackets, your name is there on the bracket, not something that we had to write in because you won on Tuesday or you want on Wednesday. If you're going to expand, I understand this NC double A making money needs to make money. You know, you got lawsuits, nil lawsuits, like you know, they need kind of a shovel full of cash.
Speaker 5: They're in reserve.
Speaker 2: Which sounds strange to say that, but you know, when you look at all the conferences and schools making the money.
Speaker 5: NC double A still has to make money. And you add eight.
Speaker 2: More teams, ten more teams, whatever, it's going to be as long as you keep them on Tuesday and Wednesday, you're going to have two sites, two neutral sites, and then you're going to play those games we start, you know, the tournament starts on Thursday.
Speaker 6: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I don't know how many people fill out their brackets before Tuesday or Wednesday.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 2: And there is a kind of an exhibition feel to the games on Tuesday and Wednesday, and it shouldn't be that way, but that's the way it is. They position them to play into the tournament. The NCAA labeled it. You're playing into the tournament like you're almost there. It's kind of like being invited to a party, but you have to stay on the doorstep and wait till somebody leaves and then you get to come in. But you're going to expand, but make sure we take care of the mid majors. Don't have them like picking up scraps, going ah, we get to play on Tuesday to then play on Thursday.
Speaker 5: Maybe yes, Tom.
Speaker 8: How small We're gonna have to make the font of the lettering as we add more and more team so that you can print out a bracket and it stays on one sheet. That's starting to get close to that confusion there.
Speaker 2: And growth is inevitable, but every league eventually has to decide about expansion.
Speaker 5: Is it worth?
Speaker 2: You have the quantity, but I worry about the quality With all of these different leagues.
Speaker 5: You're going to add add and.
Speaker 2: At some point it subtracts from really what this is all about. And I love playoff competition. It's great in all sports. I just don't want to have too many teams in there. Yeah, pauling, but.
Speaker 3: It feels like these every league and every network is looking for more space on the calendar to place live events. And it's like the NCAA and the conferences found a loophole. We can keep the sixty four, do this funky play in game first four on Tuesday and Wednesday, and we don't upset the traditional sixty four apple cart, And hey, we can just put more games in the afternoon or at night and not really mess with everyone's tradition of sixty four.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if anybody is going to be out on the streets protesting, because we'll watch it. I just I want it to be special, and maybe it's it's special proof just because we watch. There's always going to be a player, there's always going to be a team, there's always magic always, and ratings were up this year. I think that will. The one thing that we are going to lose is that Cinderella's story. It feels like I don't think Tennessee in a playing game on a Tuesday and then winning a couple of games is a Cinderella story. Cinderella's story is Wafford or Miami, Ohio. A school or schools where you don't know where they are. Well, you know, Miami is in Ohio, but then they get confused for Miami, Florida. But you know, you get these other schools and I think that's the fun part of it. You get to see a player that you never thought you would see, like you know, Steph Curry Davidson. Like that's the magic. And I hope that we always try to ensure that we have that. And do I want to have Cinderella stories. I do, And it plays out because Cinderella story. You might win two games, and think of the exposure that these schools get. You went on Thursday and you went on Saturday, then you don't play until the following week.
Speaker 5: You get all of that coverage and that is invaluable to a school.
Speaker 2: And I think that's the fun part of it, where you get some exposure, their coach gets interviewed on Sports Center, your star player. That's great, great for the smaller schools because I do think we're going to get to the point, and I said this a couple of weeks ago, that we're going to look at mid majors like junior colleges. If you're a player and you're going there for two years, is somebody interested in me that's in the SEC or the Big ten or Big twelve acc So I got two years to kind of get on the radar of some of the bigger schools. And if I was a coach, I would be viewing it as I hopefully get you for two years and then your probably going to, you know, get in the transfer portal. The fact that almost half of men's basketball teams this year we're in the transfer portal should tell you everything you need to know. This is just you know, you're a turnstile. It's like revolving door. Come on in and how long are you going to stay? Can we get one more spin on the revolving now you're gone. That's what it's become. And you got these kids who are staying in college longer because you can make more money. And it feels like the rich are going to get richer here because Kentucky can get kids coming in, but you still get Kentucky boosters to pay you to stay a little while longer, Duke, I mean the blue bloods are going to be able to They're going to pick and choose from the smaller schools. I wouldn't I wouldn't recruit. I wouldn't take a high school kid. I'd be like, give me somebody who's approven commodity. I mean, I might miss out on age Debanza, but that's okay. I mean he's great, but it's one and done at BYU.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marv, Yeah, you've seen what Yukon of Michigan have done the past few years, where you might get a really good high school ball player, but the rest of your team they're twenty two to twenty three years old and they're transferred guys from other schools. So that might be the play.
Speaker 2: And when I talked to Danny Hurley when the season ended, he said, yeah, that's kind of what they do. They look for that one McDonald's all American, and then you're gonna get guys transferring in Michigan had an entire roster Illinois. Like now, there's some coaches who don't like this at all. They don't think that these players should be eligible to come over to the United States.
Speaker 5: But it just feels like the doors are open.
Speaker 2: Like you know, I always go back to the scene where Kevin Bacon an animal house and he's telling everybody to stop. You know, they they squish him. That's what it feels like. It's happening with the NC double. Hey, hold on, no too late. Yeah, Paulie.
Speaker 3: It's interesting too because a guy like aj DEBANTSA by being a top three pick, B why you can't match that. But if you're like the twentieth pick of the draft or twenty fifth, you could be afforded. You could be like Mullins from Yukon. Yeah, if he was top five, he's gone. Yeah. But if you're in that next year past the lottery, they could afford to keep you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, you say, hey, why don't you stay, Why don't you show that you can be the man? Which is what I would want from this kid. I want to see if you can carry the load every single night. Because there were games where he disappeared, and then there are games where you go, man, that guy's first round draft pick. I know that we draft on potential. Potential gets you fired. I want to prove in commodity. And that's why if I'm running a big time program, I'm just going to go around the country.
Speaker 5: I'm going to say I'm going to take you and you and you and you.
Speaker 2: And then we might have a couple of recruits coming in and then maybe some holdovers. That would be my approach because I want a larger sample size. Then, man, your highlight high school highlight tape looked awesome. My high school highlight tape looked awesome. It didn't quite pan out for me, but it's like, you know, they don't show any negative plays in your high school highlight tape. That'd be great if they did give you a truer sense of what you're getting. The NBA has disclosed to its thirty general managers a new anti tanking draft reform, and it's termed the three two one Lottery. Okay, I've read I wasn't a great student, I didn't do well on the act. I'm not doing well on this lottery of trying to figure it out. They're expanding the lottery yes to sixteen teams, and then they're flattening the odds. There's something called a relegation zone. That's where the bottom three teams are penalized with fewer lottery balls for the number one pick. This is going to start with the twenty twenty seven draft, according to The Mothership.
Speaker 5: Paul, you've read it a couple of times. I'm a student. I know I'll take a shot.
Speaker 3: Okay, if I were describing this new lottery proposal, it's to discourage extreme tanking. Once you're like below five hundred and there's two months left in the season, getting worse makes your chances worse to get the number.
Speaker 2: One Okay, but the difference between tanking and extreme tanking.
Speaker 3: Is what Utah oh Utah or the Washington Wizards, where you know you're not making the playoffs, so we start shutting down players, as many players, as many games as we can to have the best odds.
Speaker 2: Did the Wizards start tanking opening night like they're not a good team. But they're not tanking, they're just not a good team.
Speaker 3: The Wizards have lost ten of their last ten, so they're right on track to improve their chances to get a top four pick. In this new system, they would be penalized for being extremely bad, and a team like let's say the Chicago Bulls have thirty one wins, they would actually be in better shape than the Wizards with seventeen wins because they played better after they were out of it.
Speaker 5: But isn't it the top three teams?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Boy?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: See?
Speaker 2: I once again I debated going into this topic. Is I didn't want to confuse.
Speaker 5: Does it? Marvin? Did you understand?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. I was a C minus student, so I'm really not.
Speaker 2: A quick So the three to two to one lottery represents the number of lottery balls per team. Okay, teams that do not qualify for the playoffs or the play in tournament but stay out of the relegation zone, which is four through See I apologize and you're reading verbatim. Yes, teams with a bottom three record the relegation area would have two lottery balls, but have a floor of the number twelve pick. The rest of the thirteen lottery teams could fall as far as the number sixteen pick.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the mentality there is the absolute worst teams in the league with a month left, are encouraged to play better to get out of that relegation zone. Yes, I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I've said for the last couple of years, reward the teams when you're eliminated from the postseason the number of wins you have after you've been eliminated that you're still playing.
Speaker 9: Yes, Dylan, this read's kind of like what Wall Street does, where they make very basic terms sound overly complicated to confuse you, like margin and leverage and stuff. I'm reading and I'm like, I don't know if they just want everyone to be like, well, it sounds like they know what they're doing for good.
Speaker 3: Yes, this new system would reward the number nine and ten seeds. You know, those teams that are nine to ten and they play in those play in games. You would have a better chance if you lose those games to get a better draft pick in the lottery.
Speaker 5: Well wait a minute, I thought they said that something something about.
Speaker 2: The play if you're in the play in Yeah, but then you're not in the lottery.
Speaker 3: No, you are. In this new system the number nine and ten seeds, and each conference would receive two lottery balls, and the losers of the seven and eight.
Speaker 2: Things that do not qualify for the playoffs or play in tournament, but stay out of the relegations.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, if you're in the play in, yeah, then you're not in the lottery.
Speaker 3: No, the opposite, if you're in the play in and lose early in the play in and you're so basically the back half of the season, the bottom ten teams will be encouraged to battle for the play in spots.
Speaker 8: Okay, back to you, yes, hut, But it doesn't speak to the teams that are genuinely sucky. Like I'm we're trying, we're trying, we're not taking We're just bad. And so like I feel like those teams are getting punished a little.
Speaker 4: Bit so they can help us out a little bit. We're not a part of the group of teams that are looking to purposely lose.
Speaker 5: But how do you know that?
Speaker 4: That's where it's tricky.
Speaker 2: I know that's part of the problem here, is I like, Washington, Are they just inept? Are they trying to be inept?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How do you think we did the past five minutes?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 2: I would give us a C minus? All right, yeah, I would give us what we got when we were in school.
Speaker 4: That's generous.
Speaker 2: They had me at three balls. How about we take a break Play of the day up next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: Oh My God of the day play.
Speaker 5: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 4: Check this out.
Speaker 3: Brads trying to regain entry. They turn it over the air hampus Win Holmes got pasta going long.
Speaker 11: Steps in dead scores Boston the breakaway with the overtime game.
Speaker 3: Winner, and we're going.
Speaker 2: Back to Boston Game six on Friday. That's courtesy of the Bruins Radio Network. Play of the Day brought to you by True Green. Don't waste another weekend doing your long care yourself partner with the official long cair treatment provider, the PGA Tour. Get a golf course, quality lawn, easy way. Sign up at truegreen dot com, Sit back and relax. A couple of phone calls. Jamal Crawford will join us coming up next hour. James in New Mexico. Hi, James, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey? Thanks for sing a call?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I was just calling, you know, with the expansion there, and I think if you have like an ie like Miami of a high this past year, some of the coaches could have a valid argument because we all know that this expansion is going to end up being a five hundred sec school over a major that actually kind of deserves it, and have some marsh madness there. So yeah, I think at that point is really the only complaint I can see as valid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's why. If you win your conference, how about you get to make the tournament. If you don't win your conference, then you might be playing on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Aw in Virginia.
Speaker 7: A five seven one ninety. How you doing, Dan?
Speaker 6: I got a problem. I wanted Marvin to.
Speaker 7: Know that Ralph Sanson had a hand.
Speaker 5: Okay, he could dribble the basketball, but one and two four to the other I watched him do it in high school.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll let Marvin know Ralph Samson had a handle.
Speaker 4: The more you know, Yeah, all right, no, but I'm just saying, just on a regular basis, but he seemed like more of a post player.
Speaker 5: Well back then you were supposed to be a post exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were like get down low. Now they expect you to be out on the perimeter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 3: But don't you think the coverage of wemby the past three years has given a little light on Ralph Sampson's career that people may have forgotten about him because he was the first guy to be like this out more of an outside in seven plus footer.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sean Bradley had the potential to do that as well. He had a nice touch, nice jumper. Another guy was seven four seven five seven six. And you don't realize how big that is. I mean it sounds tall into you stand next to somebody. I stood next to Mark Eaton and I was like, that is one of maybe the biggest, biggest man I've ever stood next to. And then I stood next to Yao Ming, and I go, that is the biggest man on the planet.
Speaker 5: Because people go all Shack's bigger.
Speaker 2: I said, no, look at the pictures when Shaq is standing next to Yao Ming. Yao Ming is the largest man on the planet. David in Arkansas, Hi, David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Good morning, gentlemen.
Speaker 7: I just had a comment about the tournament expansion y'all are talking about. You don't remember once upon a time that n I two was depress stage tournament because they took all the regular season conference winners and the NC Double A was having to take the automatic qualifiers. So of course the NC Double A expands now they did everybody. So those regular season winners, yes, they are the ones who truly truly deserve to be in the tournament. And I just can't deal with the automatic qualified thing edging out some of those teams that truly fully deserve it. And I will also say that segment about the NBA and the tanking is one reason I really really enjoyed your show. That was just hilarious listening to you guys.
Speaker 1: Do that.
Speaker 7: I'm sitting here at work and I don't tell my director and I just that was wonderful. Thank you, gentlemen, and have a good day.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you, David.
Speaker 2: I guess he's complimenting on us being stupid trying to figure out the lottery and we still didn't figure out the lottery.
Speaker 5: Yes, Dylan, I think stupid is relatable, you know. Yeah, more people can relate to stupid instead of intelligence.
Speaker 9: There's more stupid people than smart people out there.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, you can call us not smart. I don't think stupid is necessary. Well, we're in the not smart Catygo.
Speaker 2: Well, then I I'm sorry I labeled us stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah somewhere above that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: The NBA was just giving us a big word salary.
Speaker 5: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: I would like to have the commissioner on and say, you explain this, Okay, do you know? Can you I'm going to guess the commissioner went, he strikes me, is.
Speaker 5: NYU?
Speaker 2: Then maybe God is MBA from Columbia or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, it's it's even better than that. He uh he hit a duke. Oh that's right. Yeah, and then he went to University of Chicago Law School, which is like galactic. I know, jeez, he's a smart guy.
Speaker 5: University of Chicago got a nice campus.
Speaker 3: It does. It's on the South Side. It's gorgeous and old school. The neighborhoods actually getting quite better right by the water, not far from the water. But it's an area that's not like tourist friendly historically in Chicago. But it's a gorgeous campus and one of the top five schools in the country.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is. It's very difficult to get in.
Speaker 3: A school where you go to study and ye, really successful.
Speaker 6: Yuck.
Speaker 3: They do have a football squad though, they do. Yeah, they had football like one hundred years ago. Well, no, they had the first Heisman winner, Jay Berwanger. Yeah, I went to the University of Chicago. Yeah, the Burwanger and then they brought back football. I think that the Maroons maybe twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: We would be the morons, right, and see what I do with that time? Ben and Milwaukee? Hi Ben, what's on your mind today? Good morning, gentlemen.
Speaker 6: First comment what he was talking about. You were entertaining. You had the conversation we have that we can't figure it out. You usually do the fact you were just today beautiful. Two comments about basketball. Do you think it's possible some coach with a great program, say Duke says, you can come here. You're going to sign a four year contract. You're going to stay, you aren't going to transfer, You're not going to the NBA. You're signing a contract to play four years, or you're not coming.
Speaker 5: Here, they'll sign elsewhere.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But if you really want to be on that great team, I don't know who it is, but the teams aren't losing all the control that may give it the seventy six number. After Have we ever had a team, a team in the bottom four lower than forty eight be our champ. No, So this is just ridiculous. They want it's equality. It's forty eight, you.
Speaker 2: Like, and you know you're going to have kids. These all these kids think they can play next level. They do. I thought I could. I still think I can. No, they're not going to go to Duke and say I'm going to go four years and I'm going to stay four years.
Speaker 5: Like you can't, you can't.
Speaker 2: You know, these contracts are a year, you know, each year and then renewed. But no, you're not going to go and have them say you can't go to the NBA or go to another school. We'll talk some hoops. Jamal Crawford will join us coming up on the way after this